Genomes and Genes
Summary: A volatile vasodilator which relieves ANGINA PECTORIS by stimulating GUANYLATE CYCLASE and lowering cytosolic calcium.
Publications337 found, 100 shown here
- Nitroglycerin-mediated vasodilatation of the brachial artery may predict long-term cardiovascular events irrespective of the presence of atherosclerotic diseaseDaijirou Akamatsu
Division of Advanced Surgical Science and Technology, Graduate School of Medicine, Tohoku University, Aoba ku, Sendai, Japan
J Atheroscler Thromb 17:1266-74. 2010b>Nitroglycerin-mediated vasodilatation (NMD) provides insight into the NTG-induced bioactivity of smooth muscle. It is plausible that in dysfunctional smooth muscle cells, the response to nitroglycerin may become blunted...
- l-kynurenine combined with probenecid and the novel synthetic kynurenic acid derivative attenuate nitroglycerin-induced nNOS in the rat caudal trigeminal nucleusEniko Vamos
Department of Neurology, University of Szeged, Szeged, Hungary
Neuropharmacology 57:425-9. 2009Systemic administration of the nitric oxide (NO) donor nitroglycerin (NTG) triggers a delayed attack without aura in many migraineurs, but not in healthy volunteers. In rats, 4 h after the systemic administration of NTG (10 mg/kg bw, s.c...
- Prognostic impact of coronary vasodilator dysfunction on adverse long-term outcome of coronary heart diseaseV Schachinger
Department of Internal Medicine IV, Division of Cardiology, J W Goethe University, Frankfurt, Germany
Circulation 101:1899-906. 2000..Therefore, we prospectively investigated whether coronary endothelial dysfunction predicts disease progression and cardiovascular event rates...
- Flow-mediated vasodilation: a diagnostic instrument, or an experimental tool?An L Moens
Department of Cardiology, University of Antwerp, University Hospital of Antwerp, Wilrijkstraat 10, 2650 Antwerp, Belgium
Chest 127:2254-63. 2005..In this review article, the pathophysiology of FMD, based on reactive hyperemia, is extensively discussed. Furthermore, an overview is given of the actual clinical indications of FMD measurement...
- Urinary albumin excretion is associated with impaired flow- and nitroglycerin-mediated brachial artery dilatation in hypertensive adultsA R Malik
Division of Cardiovascular Diseases, Mayo Clinic and Foundation, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
J Hum Hypertens 21:231-8. 2007..the brachial artery was used to assess flow-mediated dilatation (FMD)--an endothelium-dependent response--and nitroglycerin-mediated dilatation (NMD)--an endothelium-independent response...
- Nitroglycerin upregulates matrix metalloproteinase expression by human macrophagesAlison K Death
Department of Medicine, University of Sydney, Sydney, Australia
J Am Coll Cardiol 39:1943-50. 2002This study aimed to determine whether nitroglycerin (NTG) treatment affects matrix metalloproteinase (MMP) gene expression and activities in human macrophages.
- Delayed inflammation in rat meninges: implications for migraine pathophysiologyU Reuter
Stroke and Neurovascular Regulation Laboratory, Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Charlestown, Massachusetts 02129, USA
Brain 124:2490-502. 2001..pathogenesis based on the delayed development of typical migraine headache 4-6 h after infusing the NO donor nitroglycerin [glyceryl trinitrate (GTN)] to migraineurs...
- An essential role for mitochondrial aldehyde dehydrogenase in nitroglycerin bioactivationZhiqiang Chen
Department of Medicine and Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 27710, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 102:12159-64. 2005The identity of the cellular mechanisms through which nitroglycerin (glyceryl trinitrate, GTN) elicits nitric oxide (NO)-based signaling to dilate blood vessels remains one of the longest standing foci of investigation and sources of ..
- Endothelial dysfunction relates to folate status in children and adolescents with type 1 diabetesEsko J Wiltshire
Department of Paediatrics, Wellington School of Medicine and Health Sciences, PO Box 7343, Wellington South, New Zealand
Diabetes 51:2282-6. 2002..Better folate status is associated with better endothelial function, as measured by higher FMD, higher FMD:GTN ratio, and lower thrombomodulin. Folate may therefore protect against endothelial dysfunction in children with diabetes...
- Supine and upright haemodynamic effects of sublingual nitroglycerin and inhaled salbutamol: a double-blind, placebo-controlled, randomized studyAnna M Tahvanainen
School of Medicine, University of Tampere, Tampere, Finland
J Hypertens 30:297-306. 2012Pulse wave analysis is widely applied to measure the haemodynamic effects of nitroglycerin and salbutamol as an endothelium-independent and endothelium-dependent vasodilator, respectively...
- Nitroglycerin protects the endothelium from ischaemia and reperfusion: human mechanistic insightTommaso Gori
Department of Internal, Cardiovascular and Geriatric Medicine, University of Siena, Siena, Italy
Br J Clin Pharmacol 64:145-50. 2007b>Nitroglycerin (GTN) modulates tissue damage induced by ischaemia and reperfusion (IR) in a mechanism that is similar to ischaemic preconditioning...
- Hospitalized acute exacerbation of COPD impairs flow and nitroglycerin-mediated peripheral vascular dilationNathaniel Marchetti
Department of Physiology, Temple University School of Medicine, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
COPD 8:60-5. 2011Vascular function, as measured by flow mediated dilation (FMD) and nitroglycerin mediated dilation (NMD), is impaired in COPD...
- A short history of nitroglycerine and nitric oxide in pharmacology and physiologyN Marsh
School of Life Sciences, Queensland University of Technology, Brisbane, Australia
Clin Exp Pharmacol Physiol 27:313-9. 2000..Glycerol trinitrate remains the treatment of choice for relieving angina; other organic esters and inorganic nitrates are also used, but the rapid action of NG and its established efficacy make it the mainstay of angina pectoris relief...
- A randomized controlled trial of valdecoxib and glyceryl trinitrate for the prevention of post-ERCP pancreatitisVikram Bhatia
Department of Gastroenterology, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi, India
J Clin Gastroenterol 45:170-6. 2011..Cyclo-oxygenase-2 enzyme-mediated inflammatory pathway has been suggested in the pathophysiology of acute pancreatitis. Glyceryl trinitrate (GTN) might prevent post-ERCP pancreatitis by relaxing the sphincter of Oddi...
- Vascular tolerance to nitroglycerin in ascorbate deficiencyGerald Wölkart
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Karl Franzens Universitat Graz, Universitatsplatz 2, A 8010 Graz, Austria
Cardiovasc Res 79:304-12. 2008b>Nitroglycerin (GTN) acts through release of a nitric oxide (NO)-related activator of soluble guanylate cyclase in vascular smooth muscle...
- Site-directed mutagenesis of aldehyde dehydrogenase-2 suggests three distinct pathways of nitroglycerin biotransformationM Verena Wenzl
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Karl Franzens Universitat Graz, Universitatsplatz 2, A 8010, Austria
Mol Pharmacol 80:258-66. 2011To elucidate the mechanism underlying reduction of nitroglycerin (GTN) to nitric oxide (NO) by mitochondrial aldehyde dehydrogenase (ALDH2), we generated mutants of the enzyme lacking the cysteines adjacent to reactive Cys302 (C301S and ..
- Nitroglycerin induces migraine headache and central sensitization phenomena in patients with migraine without aura: a study of laser evoked potentialsMarina de Tommaso
Neurologic and Psychiatric Sciences Department, University of Bari, Bari, Italy
Neurosci Lett 363:272-5. 2004In migraineurs nitroglycerin (NTG) induces severe delayed headache, resembling spontaneous migraine attacks...
- Intravenous nitroglycerin in the management of retained placentaPeter A Chedraui
Labor Unit of the Enrique C Sotomayor Obstetrics and Gynecology Hospital, Institute of Biomedicine, Universidad Catolica de Santiago de Guayaquil, Guayaquil, Ecuador
Gynecol Obstet Invest 56:61-4. 2003..in the third stage of delivery complicated by retained placenta were prospectively managed with intravenous nitroglycerin. We studied the effect of nitroglycerin on the hemodynamics and characteristics of the procedure, and also ..
- 'The Italian Protocol': a simplified head-up tilt testing potentiated with oral nitroglycerin to assess patients with unexplained syncopeA Bartoletti
Cardiology Division, Ospedale Santa Maria Annunziata, Firenze, Italy
Europace 2:339-42. 2000Head-up tilt testing potentiated by sublingual nitroglycerin (NTG), advocated by an Italian group, is a simple and safe but still not a standardized, diagnostic tool for the investigation of syncope...
- Quality of extemporaneously compounded nitroglycerin ointmentDaniel L Azarnoff
D L Azarnoff Associates, LLC, Burlingame, California 94010 2011, USA
Dis Colon Rectum 50:509-16. 2007Published clinical trials support the use of 0.2 to 0.4 percent nitroglycerin ointment for the treatment of an anal fissure, although no product is yet available in the United States...
- Vascular bioactivation of nitroglycerin is catalyzed by cytosolic aldehyde dehydrogenase-2Matteo Beretta
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Karl Franzens Universitat Graz, Austria
Circ Res 110:385-93. 2012According to general view, aldehyde dehydrogenase-2 (ALDH2) catalyzes the high-affinity pathway of vascular nitroglycerin (GTN) bioactivation in smooth muscle mitochondria...
- Folic acid prevents nitroglycerin-induced nitric oxide synthase dysfunction and nitrate tolerance: a human in vivo studyT Gori
Division of Cardiology, Department of Medicine, Mount Sinai Hospital, and the University of Toronto, Toronto, Canada
Circulation 104:1119-23. 2001BACKGROUND: In healthy humans, continuous treatment with nitroglycerin (GTN) causes nitric oxide synthase dysfunction, probably through the reduced bioavailability of tetrahydrobiopterin...
- Nitroglycerin treatment may enhance chemosensitivity to docetaxel and carboplatin in patients with lung adenocarcinomaHiroyasu Yasuda
Department of Translational Clinical Oncology, Kyoto University Graduate School of Medicine, Kyoto, and Department of Internal Medicine, Sendai City Hospital, Sendai, Japan
Clin Cancer Res 12:6748-57. 2006b>Nitroglycerin may improve the response to chemotherapy in advanced non-small cell lung cancer...
- Evidence on the effectiveness of topical nitroglycerin in the treatment of tendinopathies: a systematic review and meta-analysisEphraim D Gambito
Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, University of Santo Tomas Hospital, Manila, Philippines
Arch Phys Med Rehabil 91:1291-305. 2010To evaluate evidence on the effectiveness of topical nitroglycerin (NTG) in treating tendinopathies.
- Neither nitrite nor nitric oxide mediate toxic effects of nitroglycerin on mitochondriaPeter Dungel
Ludwig Boltzmann Institute for Experimental and Clinical Traumatology, Austrian Workers Compensation Board Research Center, A 1200 Vienna, Austria
J Biochem Mol Toxicol 25:297-302. 2011It is commonly accepted that the major effect of nitroglycerin (NG) is realized through the release of nitric oxide (NO) catalyzed by aldehyde dehydrogenase-2 (ALDH2)...
- Nitroglycerin-induced S-nitrosylation and desensitization of soluble guanylyl cyclase contribute to nitrate toleranceNazish Sayed
Department of Pharmacology and Physiology, New Jersey Medical School, University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey, Newark, NJ 07101, USA
Circ Res 103:606-14. 2008Nitrates such as nitroglycerin (GTN) and nitric oxide donors such as S-nitrosothiols are clinically vasoactive through stimulation of soluble guanylyl cyclase (sGC), which produces the second messenger cGMP...
- Noninvasive assessment of coronary vasodilation using magnetic resonance angiographyMasahiro Terashima
Division of Cardiovascular Medicine, Stanford University, Stanford, CA 94305, USA
J Am Coll Cardiol 45:104-10. 2005..The purpose of this study was to investigate the use of coronary magnetic resonance angiography (MRA) for assessing human epicardial coronary artery vasodilation...
- Hydralazine is a powerful inhibitor of peroxynitrite formation as a possible explanation for its beneficial effects on prognosis in patients with congestive heart failureAndreas Daiber
Klinikum der Johannes Gutenberg Universitat, II Medizinische Klinik und Poliklinik, Labor für Molekulare Kardiologie, 55101 Mainz, Germany
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 338:1865-74. 2005The hemodynamic and anti-ischemic effects of nitroglycerin (GTN) are rapidly blunted as a result of the development of nitrate tolerance...
- Role for peroxynitrite in the inhibition of prostacyclin synthase in nitrate toleranceUlrich Hink
University Hospital Eppendorf, Division of Cardiology, Hamburg, Germany
J Am Coll Cardiol 42:1826-34. 2003We tested whether in vivo nitroglycerin (NTG) treatment causes tyrosine nitration of prostacyclin synthase (PGI(2)-S), one of the nitration targets of peroxynitrite, and whether this may contribute to nitrate tolerance.
- Central role of mitochondrial aldehyde dehydrogenase and reactive oxygen species in nitroglycerin tolerance and cross-toleranceKarsten Sydow
The University Hospital Eppendorf, Division of Cardiology, Hamburg, Germany
J Clin Invest 113:482-9. 2004..Recent studies suggest that mitochondrial aldehyde dehydrogenase (ALDH-2) plays a central role in the process of nitroglycerin (glyceryl trinitrate, GTN) biotransformation in vivo and that its inhibition accounts for mechanism-based ..
- Brachial artery diameter and vasodilator response to nitroglycerine, but not flow-mediated dilatation, are associated with the presence and quantity of coronary artery calcium in asymptomatic adultsIftikhar J Kullo
Division of Cardiovascular Diseases, Mayo Clinic and Foundation, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Clin Sci (Lond) 112:175-82. 2007..We conclude that greater diameter of the brachial artery and lower vasodilator response to nitroglycerine, but not FMD, are associated with subclinical coronary atherosclerosis...
- Improved analysis of brachial artery ultrasound using a novel edge-detection software systemR J Woodman
Department of Medicine, The University of Western Australia, Perth 6001, Australia
J Appl Physiol 91:929-37. 2001..5% change in FMD. In summary, we have developed a semiautomated computerized vascular ultrasound analysis system that will improve the power of clinical intervention studies to detect small changes in arterial diameter...
- Activation of aldehyde dehydrogenase-2 reduces ischemic damage to the heartChe Hong Chen
Department of Chemical and Systems Biology, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, CA 94305 5174, USA
Science 321:1493-5. 2008..Thus, pharmacologic enhancement of ALDH2 activity may be useful for patients with wild-type or mutant ALDH2 who are subjected to cardiac ischemia, such as during coronary bypass surgery...
- Nitrates and nitrites in the treatment of ischemic cardiac diseaseVaughn E Nossaman
Department of Pharmacology, Tulane University Medical Center, New Orleans, LA 70112 2699, USA
Cardiol Rev 18:190-7. 2010..agent in the treatment of angina pectoris, but was replaced over a decade later by the organic nitrate, nitroglycerin (NTG), due to the ease of administration and longer duration of action...
- Prognostic significance of ankle-brachial index, brachial-ankle pulse wave velocity, flow-mediated dilation, and nitroglycerin-mediated dilation in end-stage renal diseaseSatoshi Morimoto
Second Department of Internal Medicine, Kansai Medical University, Hirakata, Osaka, Japan
Am J Nephrol 30:55-63. 2009..Identifying patients at high risk of cardiovascular disease is important in managing patients undergoing hemodialysis...
- Dose-dependent benefit of nitroglycerin on microcirculation of patients with severe heart failureCorstiaan A den Uil
Department of Cardiology, Thoraxcenter, Erasmus Medical Center, s Gravendijkwal 230, 3015 CE, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Intensive Care Med 35:1893-9. 2009..We tested the hypothesis that nitroglycerin dose-dependently improves perfusion in severe heart failure and that this could be monitored by measuring ..
- Tolerance to nitroglycerin-induced preconditioning of the endothelium: a human in vivo studyTommaso Gori
Department of Internal, Cardiovascular and Geriatric Medicine, University of Siena, Italy
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 298:H340-5. 2010..Twenty-four healthy (age 25-32) male volunteers were randomized to receive 1) transdermal nitroglycerin (GTN; 0...
- Functional and biochemical analysis of endothelial (dys)function and NO/cGMP signaling in human blood vessels with and without nitroglycerin pretreatmentEberhard Schulz
University Hospital Eppendorf, Division of Cardiology, Hamburg, Germany
Circulation 105:1170-5. 2002In experimental animal models, long-term in vivo treatment with nitroglycerin (NTG) induces both endothelial dysfunction and tolerance to nitrates...
- Nitroglycerin in the prevention of post-ERCP pancreatitis: a meta-analysisLi Ming Shao
Department of Gastroenterology, Second Affiliated Hospital, College of Medicine, Zhejiang University, Hangzhou 310009, China
Dig Dis Sci 55:1-7. 2010The objective of this research paper is to evaluate the effect of prophylactic nitroglycerin in the prevention of post-endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography (ERCP) pancreatitis (PEP) by performing a meta-analysis of randomized ..
- Abnormal coronary vasomotion as a prognostic indicator of cardiovascular events in women: results from the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute-Sponsored Women's Ischemia Syndrome Evaluation (WISE)Gregory O von Mering
University of Florida College of Medicine, Gainesville, Fla 32610 0277, USA
Circulation 109:722-5. 2004..Coronary vascular dysfunction has been linked to atherosclerosis and adverse cardiovascular outcomes in men, but these relationships have not been firmly established in women...
- Interaction of physical training and chronic nitroglycerin treatment on blood pressure, nitric oxide, and oxidants/antioxidants in the rat heartKazim Husain
Department of Surgery, Southern Illinois University School of Medicine, Springfield, IL, USA
Pharmacol Res 48:253-61. 2003..Therefore, this study investigated the interaction of exercise training and chronic nitroglycerin treatment on blood pressure (BP) and changes in cardiac nitric oxide (NO) and antioxidants in rats...
- Glyceryl trinitrate may trigger endogenous nitric oxide production in patients with chronic tension-type headacheM Ashina
Danish Headache Centre and Department of Neurology, Glostrup Hospital, University of Copenhagen, Copenhagen, Denmark
Cephalalgia 24:967-72. 2004..12) and controls (P = 0.18). We suggest that GTN administration may trigger endogenous production of NO in patients with chronic tension-type headache resulting in activation of perivascular sensory afferents...
- Comparative effects of nesiritide and nitroglycerin on renal function, and incidence of renal injury by traditional and RIFLE criteria in acute heart failureTien M H Ng
University of Southern California School of Pharmacy, Los Angeles, CA 90033, USA
J Cardiovasc Pharmacol Ther 17:79-85. 2012..Acute renal insufficiency is associated with poorer outcomes in heart failure. Data regarding the renal effects of vasodilatory therapy in acute heart failure are inconclusive...
- The secret (GTN) of successful ERCP cannulation: a prospective randomised controlled studyA Ghori
Department of Surgery and Gastroenterology, Walsgrave Hospital, Coventry
J R Coll Surg Edinb 47:634-7. 2002..This prospective randomised controlled study was conducted to assess the effect of glyceryl trinitrate (GTN) on ease of cannulation...
- Generalized allergic contact dermatitis from nitroglycerin in a transdermal therapeutic systemRemedios Pérez-Calderón
Department of Allergology, Infanta Cristina University Hospital Carretera de Portugal s n 06080 Badajoz Spain
Contact Dermatitis 46:303. 2002
- Nitroglycerin fails to lower blood pressure in redox-dead Cys42Ser PKG1α knock-in mouseOlena Rudyk
Cardiovascular Division, King s College London, The British Heart Foundation Centre of Excellence, The Rayne Institute, St Thomas Hospital, United Kingdom
Circulation 126:287-95. 2012Although nitroglycerin has remained in clinical use since 1879, the mechanism by which it relaxes blood vessels to lower blood pressure remains incompletely understood...
- Topical application of nitrates onto the papilla of Vater: manometric and clinical resultsT Wehrmann
Dept of Internal Medicine I, Academic Hospital Hannover Siloah, Germany
Endoscopy 33:323-8. 2001....
- The effects on the central nervous system of nitroglycerin--putative mechanisms and mediatorsC Tassorelli
Neurological Institute IRCCS C Mondino, University of Pavia, Italy
Prog Neurobiol 57:607-24. 1999b>Nitroglycerin is an organic nitrate that has been used as a vasodilator in the treatment of cardiac diseases for over a century...
- Intravenous nitroglycerin in the treatment of decompensated heart failure: potential benefits and limitationsUri Elkayam
Heart Failure Program, Division of Cardiovascular Medicine, University of Southern California, Keck School of Medicine, Los Angeles, CA, USA
J Cardiovasc Pharmacol Ther 9:227-41. 2004Acute decompensated heart failure (ADHF) is a common cause of hospitalizations. Intravenous nitroglycerin is widely used in the treatment of this condition...
- Nitroglycerin protects small intestine from ischemia-reperfusion injury via NO-cGMP pathway and upregulation of alpha-CGRPJie Li
Department of Pharmacology, Shanxi Medical University, Xinjian South Road 56, Taiyuan, Shanxi Province 030001, People s Republic of China
J Gastrointest Surg 13:478-85. 2009b>Nitroglycerin (NTG) has been reported to possess preconditioning-like (PCL) protections on heart and other tissues. Our previous studies showed that NTG has acute PCL effects on rat small intestine...
- Meta-analysis: Nitroglycerin for prevention of post-ERCP pancreatitisU C Bang
Department of Endocrinology, Hvidovre Hospital, Hvidovre, Denmark
Aliment Pharmacol Ther 29:1078-85. 2009..Acute pancreatitis after ERCP is a severe side effect...
- Effect of nitroglycerin ointment on bone density and strength in postmenopausal women: a randomized trialSophie A Jamal
Department of Medicine, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
JAMA 305:800-7. 2011b>Nitroglycerin stimulates bone formation and inhibits bone resorption, is inexpensive, and is widely available. Its effects on bone density, bone structure, and bone strength are unknown.
- A role for brain cyclooxygenase-2 and prostaglandin-E2 in migraine: effects of nitroglycerinCristina Tassorelli
IRCCS C Mondino Institute of Neurology Foundation, Pavia, Italy
Int Rev Neurobiol 82:373-82. 2007..to be involved in migraine genesis in the animal model of migraine based on the administration of systemic nitroglycerin (NTG). Male Sprague-Dawley rats were injected with NTG (10mg/kg, i.p...
- Comparison of effects on left ventricular filling pressure of intravenous nesiritide and high-dose nitroglycerin in patients with decompensated heart failureUri Elkayam
Heart Failure Program, Division of Cardiovascular Medicine, Keck School of Medicine, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, California 90033, USA
Am J Cardiol 93:237-40. 2004The results of this study showed an advantage of nesiritide compared with high-dose nitroglycerin in the treatment of patients with decompensated heart failure...
- Five-year prospective comparison study of topical glyceryl trinitrate treatment of chronic lateral epicondylosis at the elbowSebastian D A McCallum
Orthopaedic Research Institute, St George Hospital Campus, University of New South Wales, Sydney, Australia
Br J Sports Med 45:416-20. 2011..Topical glyceryl trinitrate (GTN) treatment has previously demonstrated short-term efficacy in the treatment of lateral epicondylosis. No long-term follow-up has been performed...
- Close relation of endothelial function in the human coronary and peripheral circulationsT J Anderson
Cardiovascular Division, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
J Am Coll Cardiol 26:1235-41. 1995..The relation between endothelium-dependent vasodilator function in the brachial and coronary arteries was determined in the same subjects...
- The effect of propranolol on glyceryltrinitrate-induced headache and arterial responseJ F Tvedskov
Danish Headache Centre, University of Copenhagen and Department of Neurology, Glostrup University Hospital, Glostrup, Denmark
Cephalalgia 24:1076-87. 2004..Propranolol does not constrict cerebral arteries, which therefore cannot be part of its mechanism of action in migraine...
- Methodology of head-up tilt testing potentiated with sublingual nitroglycerin in unexplained syncopeA Del Rosso
Cardiology Division, Ospedale San Pietro Igneo, Fucecchio, Italy
Am J Cardiol 85:1007-11. 2000Shortened head-up tilt testing (HUT) potentiated with sublingual nitroglycerin (60 degrees passive standing for 20 minutes followed, if negative, by 400 microg of sublingual nitroglycerin spray with the test continuing for another 20 ..
- Sumatriptan alleviates nitroglycerin-induced mechanical and thermal allodynia in miceE A Bates
Department of Neurology, University of California, San Francisco, CA 94158, USA
Cephalalgia 30:170-8. 2010The association between the clinical use of nitroglycerin (NTG) and headache has led to the examination of NTG as a model trigger for migraine and related headache disorders, both in humans and laboratory animals...
- Effects of intermittent transdermal nitroglycerin on occurrence of ischemia after patch removal: results of the second transdermal intermittent dosing evaluation study (TIDES-II)C J Pepine
Colleges of Medicine and Pharmacy, University of Florida, Gainesville, USA
J Am Coll Cardiol 30:955-61. 1997We sought to evaluate the effects of intermittent transdermal nitroglycerin (TD-NTG) on the occurrence of ischemia during patch-off hours in patients with stable angina pectoris receiving a beta-adrenergic blocking agent or calcium ..
- Reliability of the nitroglycerin provocative test in the diagnosis of neurovascular headachesG Sances
Headache Unit, University Centre for Adaptive Disorders and Headache, IRCCS C Mondino Foundation Institute of Neurology, Pavia, Italy
Cephalalgia 24:110-9. 2004b>Nitroglycerin administration provokes spontaneous-like migraine attacks in migraine and cluster headache (CH) patients. Nitroglycerin-induced migraine-like headache has been used as an experimental model of migraine...
- Constitutive nitric oxide synthase activation is a significant route for nitroglycerin-mediated vasodilationMarcelo G Bonini
Laboratories of Pharmacology and Chemistry and Signal Transduction, National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences, National Institutes of Health, Research Triangle Park, NC 27709, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 105:8569-74. 2008The physiological effects of nitroglycerin as a potent vasodilator have long been documented. However, the molecular mechanisms by which nitroglycerin exerts its biological functions are still a matter of intense debate...
- Nitrate tolerance, oxidative stress, and mitochondrial function: another worrisome chapter on the effects of organic nitratesJohn D Parker
Division of Cardiology, Mount Sinai and University Health Network Hospitals, and Department of Medicine, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
J Clin Invest 113:352-4. 2004..In this issue of the JCI, evidence in support of this hypothesis is presented in an in vivo model of nitrate tolerance (see the related article beginning on page 482)...
- Nitroglycerin-induced changes in facial skin temperature: 'cold nose' as a predictor of headache?Nina Zaproudina
Institute of Biomedicine, University of Eastern Finland, Kuopio, Finland Institute of Dentistry, University of Eastern Finland, Kuopio, Finland
Clin Physiol Funct Imaging 33:409-17. 2013b>Nitroglycerin (NTG) often induces headaches when used to treat cardiac diseases. Such property of NTG has been widely used in modelling of migraine-like headaches...
- Involvement of the endothelial DDAH/ADMA pathway in nitroglycerin tolerance: the role of ALDH-2Guo Gang Zhang
Department of Cardiovascular Medicine, Xiangya Hospital, Central South University, Changsha, Hunan, 410008, China
Life Sci 82:699-707. 2008Previous studies have shown that nitroglycerin (GTN) tolerance is closely related to an oxidative stress-induced decrease in activity of mitochondrial isoforms of aldehyde dehydrogenase (ALDH-2), and prolonged GTN treatment causes ..
- The prophylactic effect of valproate on glyceryltrinitrate induced migraineJ F Tvedskov
Danish Headache Centre, University of Copenhagen
Cephalalgia 24:576-85. 2004..The size of the effect was similar to that of valproate in clinical trials. The GTN model may therefore be a valid tool for testing new prophylactic antimigraine drugs...
- Efficacy of transdermal nitroglycerin combined with etodolac for the treatment of chronic post-thoracotomy pain: an open-label prospective clinical trialLucio Glantz
Department of Anesthesiology, Rabin Medical Center, Beilinson Campus, Petah Tikva, Israel
J Pain Symptom Manage 27:277-81. 2004..Like other forms of neuropathic pain, there is no ideal treatment. Nitroglycerin (NTG) has been found efficacious in acute pain, but has not been tested for chronic pain with neuropathic ..
- Nitroglycerin-induced endothelial dysfunction and tolerance involve adverse phosphorylation and S-Glutathionylation of endothelial nitric oxide synthase: beneficial effects of therapy with the AT1 receptor blocker telmisartanMaike Knorr
Second Medical Clinic, Department of Cardiology, Medical Center of Johannes Gutenberg University, Mainz, Germany
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 31:2223-31. 2011Continuous administration of nitroglycerin (GTN) causes tolerance and endothelial dysfunction by inducing reactive oxygen species (ROS) production from various enzymatic sources, such as mitochondria, NADPH oxidase, and an uncoupled ..
- Delayed preconditioning-mimetic action of nitroglycerin in patients undergoing coronary angioplastyM A Leesar
Division of Cardiology, University of Louisville, and Jewish Hospital Heart and Lung Institute, Louisville, KY, USA
Circulation 103:2935-41. 2001..METHODS AND RESULTS: A total of 66 patients were randomized to receive a 4-hour intravenous infusion of nitroglycerin (NTG) or normal saline; on the following day, they underwent percutaneous transluminal coronary angioplasty (..
- Nitroglycerin prevents coagulopathies and foetal death associated with abnormal maternal inflammation in ratsTiziana Cotechini
Department of Biomedical and Molecular Sciences, Queen s University, Kingston, ON, Canada
Thromb Haemost 107:864-74. 2012..NO) functions as an inhibitor of platelet aggregation and anti-oxidant, we also tested whether the NO mimetic nitroglycerin (glyceryl trinitrate, GTN) prevents inflammation-associated coagulopathies and foetal death...
- Nitroglycerin-mediated S-nitrosylation of proteins: a field comes full cycleJonathan S Stamler
Circ Res 103:557-9. 2008
- Effects of nitroglycerin on soluble guanylate cyclase: implications for nitrate toleranceJennifer D Artz
Department of Chemistry, University of California, Berkeley, California 94720 1460, USA
J Biol Chem 277:18253-6. 2002..Upon binding NO to its heme cofactor, purified sGC was activated 300-fold. sGC was only activated 67-fold by nitroglycerin (GTN) and Cys; and in the absence of Cys, GTN did not activate sGC...
- Comparison of the effects of pentaerythritol tetranitrate and nitroglycerin on endothelium-dependent vasorelaxation in male volunteersTommaso Gori
Division of Cardiology, Department of Medicine, Mount Sinai Hospital, 600 University Avenue, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M5G 1X5
Am J Cardiol 91:1392-4. 2003
- Rectogesic (glyceryl trinitrate 0.2%) ointment relieves symptoms of haemorrhoids associated with high resting anal canal pressuresJ J Tjandra
Department of Colorectal Surgery, Epworth Colorectal Center and The Royal Melbourne Hospital, Melbourne, Australia
Colorectal Dis 9:457-63. 2007..The aim of this study was to assess if Rectogesic, a topical glyceryl trinitrate 0.2% ointment was effective in relieving symptoms of early grade haemorrhoids associated with high resting anal canal pressures...
- Cardiology patient page. Nitroglycerin: the "mini" wonder drugThomas B Graboys
Lown Cardiovascular Center, 21 Longwood Ave, Brookline, Mass 02446, USA or
Circulation 108:e78-9. 2003
- The influence of nitroglycerin on myocardial 99mTc-Tetrofosmin uptake defects in coronary artery diseaseAnna Tarkowska
Department of Nuclear Medicine, Department of Cardiology, Medical University of Lublin
Ann Univ Mariae Curie Sklodowska Med 57:254-68. 2002b>Nitroglycerin (Ntg) is known to increase blood flow to the hypoperfused myocardial area and thus to reduce regional ischaemia of the heart muscle in coronary artery disease (CAD)...
- Potent antifibrillatory effects of intrapericardial nitroglycerin in the ischemic porcine heartKapil Kumar
Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
J Am Coll Cardiol 41:1831-7. 2003We investigated the antiarrhythmic effects of intrapericardial nitroglycerin (NTG) during acute myocardial ischemia in the porcine heart.
- Enhanced delivery of macromolecular antitumor drugs to tumors by nitroglycerin applicationTakahiro Seki
Laboratory of Microbiology and Oncology, Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Sojo University, Kumamoto, Japan
Cancer Sci 100:2426-30. 2009..Here, we report that the EPR effect was enhanced by applying nitroglycerin (NG) ointment on the skin of tumor-bearing animals...
- Successful management of contrast medium extravasation injury through stellate ganglion block and intra-arterial nitroglycerinChien Ching Lee
Department of Anesthesiology, Taipei Veterans General Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan, R O C
Acta Anaesthesiol Taiwan 49:116-8. 2011..of extravasation injury to the left hand by contrast medium with stellate ganglion block and intra-arterial nitroglycerin in a patient which befell during contrast-enhanced imaging...
- Short- and long-term changes of flow-mediated vasodilation in patients under statin therapyMatthias Frick
Department of Medicine, University of Innsbruck, Austria
Clin Cardiol 25:291-4. 2002..Whether FMD remains improved under therapy in the longer term is unknown...
- [Milestones of cardiovascular therapy. III. Nitroglycerin]P Jerie
Cas Lek Cesk 146:533-7. 2007..Lauder Brunton in 1867. Nitroglycerin (Glyceroltrinitrate) was synthetized by Ascanio Sobrero 1846 and was studied by Brunton, Tate, and Murrel who ..
- NO donors, part 8 : synthesis and vasodilating activities of substituted benzylnitrates compared to cyclohexylmethylnitrate and GTNChristoph Wessler
Institut fur Pharmazie, Friedrich Schiller Universitat Jena, Philosophenweg 14, 07743 Jena, Germany
Eur J Med Chem 38:581-6. 2003..Instead, vasodilator activity is highly sensitive to the structure and the type of the substituents in the molecular carrier of the nitrate group...
- Dose-response relationship of sublingual nitroglycerin with brachial artery dilatation and change in central and peripheral augmentation indexJames J Oliver
Clin Pharmacol Ther 77:337-8. 2005
- Short-term aerobic exercise reduces nitroglycerin-induced orthostatic intolerance in older adults with type 2 diabetesKenneth M Madden
VITALITY Research Laboratory, Division of Geriatric Medicine, Department of Medicine, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
J Cardiovasc Pharmacol 57:666-71. 2011..We examined whether aerobic exercise reduced OI in older adults with type 2 diabetes who were given a short-acting vasoactive agent (nitroglycerin).
- Synthesis of some novel organic nitrates and comparative in vitro study of their vasodilator profileKonstantin Chegaev
Dipartimento di Scienza e Tecnologia del Farmaco, Universita degli Studi di Torino, 10125 Torino, Italy
J Med Chem 52:4020-5. 2009..This new series of nitric acid esters is an interesting tool that can help to shed light on the unresolved puzzle of nitrate pharmacology. Selected members are worthy of additional study as potential drugs...
- Evidence against tetrahydrobiopterin depletion of vascular tissue exposed to nitric oxide/superoxide or nitroglycerinKurt Schmidt
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Karl Franzens Universitat Graz, A 8010 Graz, Austria
Free Radic Biol Med 48:145-52. 2010Several cardiovascular disorders, including atherosclerosis and tolerance to the antianginal drug nitroglycerin (GTN), may be associated with the generation of superoxide anions, which react with nitric oxide (NO) to yield peroxynitrite...
- Nitroglycerin attenuates human endothelial progenitor cell differentiation, function, and survivalJonathan M DiFabio
Division of Cardiology, Department of Medicine, Mount Sinai Hospital, and Department of Pharmacology, University of Toronto, 600 University Ave, Suite 1609, Toronto, ON, Canada M5G 1X5
J Pharmacol Exp Ther 318:117-23. 2006..Risk factors and cardiovascular disease attenuate EPC number, function, and survival. Continuous therapy with nitroglycerin (glyceryl trinitrate; GTN) is associated with increased vascular oxidative stress, leading to nitrate ..
- Neuroprotective effect of nitroglycerin in a rodent model of ischemic stroke: evaluation of Bcl-2 expressionRosaria Greco
IRCCS C Mondino Institute of Neurology Foundation, 27100 Pavia, Italy
Int Rev Neurobiol 82:423-35. 2007..It has been suggested that nitroglycerin (NTG), a nitric oxide donor, reduces ischemia/reperfusion-induced brain damage via the inhibition of caspase ..
- Effects of nitroglycerin or pentaerithrityl tetranitrate treatment on the gene expression in rat hearts: evidence for cardiotoxic and cardioprotective effectsAndrea Pautz
Department of Pharmacology, University Medical Center of the Johannes Gutenberg University Mainz, Mainz, Germany
Physiol Genomics 38:176-85. 2009b>Nitroglycerin (NTG) and pentaerithrityl tetranitrate (PETN) are organic nitrates used in the treatment of angina pectoris, myocardial infarction, and congestive heart failure...
- Acute reduction of blood pressure by nitroglycerin does not normalize large artery stiffness in essential hypertensionAndrew D Stewart
Cardiovascular Division, King s College London School of Medicine, St Thomas Hospital, London, United Kingdom
Hypertension 48:404-10. 2006..0 mm Hg). Normotensive subjects received intravenous nitroglycerin (NTG) and angiotensin II to lower/increase blood pressure...
- Transdermal patch drug delivery interactions with exerciseThomas L Lenz
Department of Pharmacy Practice, Creighton University, Omaha, Nebraska 68178, USA
Sports Med 41:177-83. 2011..Four studies have been reported that demonstrate a significant increase in the plasma concentration of nitroglycerin when individuals exercise compared with rest...
- Sildenafil and vardenafil but not nitroglycerin limit myocardial infarction through opening of mitochondrial K(ATP) channels when administered at reperfusion following ischemia in rabbitsFadi N Salloum
Division of Cardiology, Department of Internal Medicine, Box 980281, Virginia Commonwealth University, 1101 East Mashall Street, Room 7 046, Richmond, VA 23298 0281, USA
J Mol Cell Cardiol 42:453-8. 2007..effect of sildenafil and vardenafil on reperfusion injury and to compare it with the antianginal vasodilator nitroglycerin (NTG). In addition, we determined the role of mitochondrial K(ATP) channels in protection...
- Nitroglycerin provocation in normal subjects is not a useful human migraine model?J F Tvedskov
Danish Headache Centre, Department of Neurology, University of Copenhagen, Glostrup Hospital, Glostrup, Denmark
Cephalalgia 30:928-32. 2010Provoking delayed migraine with nitroglycerin in migraine sufferers is a cumbersome model. Patients are difficult to recruit, migraine comes on late and variably and only 50-80% of patients develop an attack...
- Adverse effects of nitroglycerin treatment on endothelial function, vascular nitrotyrosine levels and cGMP-dependent protein kinase activity in hyperlipidemic Watanabe rabbitsAscan Warnholtz
Division of Cardiology, University Hospital Eppendorf, Hamburg, Germany
J Am Coll Cardiol 40:1356-63. 2002With the present studies we sought to determine how treatment with nitroglycerin (NTG) affects endothelial function, oxidative stress and nitric oxide (NO)-downstream signaling in Watanabe heritable hyperlipidemic rabbits (WHHL).
- Resolution of ST-segment elevation following intravenous administration of nitroglycerin and verapamilJohn F Beltrame
Cardiology Unit, North Western Adelaide Health Service, Adelaide University, Adelaide, Australia
Am J Cardiol 89:452-5. 2002
- Effects of nitroglycerin treatment on baroreflex sensitivity and short-term heart rate variability in humansTommaso Gori
Division of Cardiology, Department of Medicine, Mount Sinai Hospital, and the University Health Network Hospitals, Toronto, Canada
J Am Coll Cardiol 40:2000-5. 2002We set out to determine the effect of sustained treatment with nitroglycerin (GTN) on neural modulation of heart rate in humans.
- A new antispastic solution for arterial grafting: nicardipine and nitroglycerin cocktail in preparation of internal thoracic and radial arteries for coronary surgeryGuo Wei He
Nankai University Medical College and TEDA International Cardiovascular Hospital, Tianjin, China
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 136:673-80, 680.e1-2. 2008..We designed a new nicardipine and nitroglycerin cocktail that is composed of a second-generation dihydropyridine calcium antagonist, nicardipine and ..
- Impact of nitroglycerin and verapamil on coronary arterial distensibility as assessed by intravascular ultrasoundTakashi Akima
Cedars Sinai Medical Center, Los Angeles, California 90048, USA
J Invasive Cardiol 21:162-7. 2009..To examine the effects of coronary artery vasodilators on coronary arterial distensibility using intravascular coronary ultrasound (IVUS)...
- Sublingual nitroglycerin for management of retained placentaM Bullarbo
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Sahlgrenska University Hospital, Goteborg, Sweden
Int J Gynaecol Obstet 91:228-32. 2005The aim of the study was to investigate the effect of sublingual nitroglycerin for management of retained placenta and to assess possible adverse effects of the treatment.
- Sublingual nitroglycerin seems to be effective in the management of retained placentaErling Ekerhovd
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Sahlgrenska University Hospital, Gothenburg, Sweden
Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand 87:222-5. 2008..Previously it has also been demonstrated that intravenously administered nitroglycerin facilitates manual extraction of retained placenta...
- Nimodipine prevents memory impairment caused by nitroglycerin-induced hypotension in adult miceAlex Bekker
Department of Anesthesiology, New York University Langone Medical Center, New York, NY 10016, USA
Anesth Analg 109:1943-8. 2009..We tested the hypothesis that nimodipine (NIMO) administered at the onset of nitroglycerin (NTG)-induced hypotension would preserve long-term associative memory.
- Nitric Oxide Restoration &Heme Detoxification as Adjunctive Therapies for CerebrLEONARDO JOSE DE MOURA CARVALHO; Fiscal Year: 2012..NO donor compounds: DPTA-NO, NO-containing nanoparticles, S-nitroso- pegylated-albumin, GSNO, nitrite and nitroglycerin, as well as with the 5-phosphodiesterase inhibitor sildenafil...
- Vascular and Skeletal Muscle Function in Gulf War Veterans IllnessScott Kinlay; Fiscal Year: 2013..10-6M, the microvascular endothelium-independent dilator adenosine, and the large artery vasodilator nitroglycerin. The PI has a long track record in this type of research...
- Vascular Structure and Function in Arteriovenous Fistula MaturationJonathan Himmelfarb; Fiscal Year: 2012..fistulae using well- established, non-invasive methods: a) assessment of brachial artery flow mediated and nitroglycerin-induced dilation, b) fingertip tonometric measurement of pulse amplitude, c) arterial pulse wave velocity as a ..
- Endothelial Dysfunction in Older Adult Humans with the Metabolic SyndromeDEMETRA CHRISTOU; Fiscal Year: 2009..mediated dilation) and endothelium-independent dilation (brachial artery dilation in response to sublingual nitroglycerin) will be determined non-invasively using high resolution duplex ultrasonography...
- Activation and Inhibition of Aldehyde Dehydrogenase 2Thomas D Hurley; Fiscal Year: 2013..and biogenic aldehydes, most notably acetaldehyde during ethanol metabolism, and as the bioactivator of nitroglycerin. Nitroglycerin or glycerol trinitrate (GTN) is a potent vasodilator due to its ability to promote the ..
- 4D MRI Development for Cardiovascular ImagingJing Liu; Fiscal Year: 2013..Adequate CTA generally requires the use of beta blockers and is improved by the administration of nitroglycerin, both of which are contraindicated for certain patients...
- Biochemical, Structural and Polymorphic Characterization of Human ALDH1B1BRIAN CHRISTOPHER JACKSON; Fiscal Year: 2013..to the alcohol metabolism pathway, we also hypothesize that ALDH1B1 may play a role in the bioactivation of nitroglycerin and retinoic acid;the latter could have significant implications in cancer biology...
- K Channel Plasticity and Regulation of Vasomotor ToneSTEPHEN T O apos ROURKE; Fiscal Year: 2010DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Nitroglycerin is widely used in the treatment of cardiovascular disease. A major limitation to the clinical use of nitroglycerin is nitrate tolerance, i.e...
- PATHOGENESIS OF HERPETIC KERATITISWILLIAM O BRIEN; Fiscal Year: 2002..The long-term goal is to understand the pathogenesis of edema in order to develop effective and specific alternatives to corticosteroids for the therapy of HSV-induced edema and stromal disease. ..
- SEROTONIN AND EICOSANOID INTERACTION IN LUNG VASOMOTIONWENDELL HOFMAN; Fiscal Year: 1992..Ca++ channel antagonist specific for either a VOC (verapamil, diltiazem, nitrendipine) or ROC (nitroprusside, nitroglycerin) and VOC patentiators (BAY K 8644)...
- Improved actions of nitrates and statins with L-arginineRuth Caldwell; Fiscal Year: 2003..develop safer, more effective and enduring: 1) nitrate therapy for angina and congestive heart failure using nitroglycerin (GTN) or isosorbide mononitrate (ISMN) and 2) statin therapy [pravastatin (PRA) or simvastatin (SIM)] for ..
- Brainstem pain-modulating systems in migraine-related photophobiaMary Magdalen Heinricher; Fiscal Year: 2013..In three Specific Aims using the nitroglycerin migraine model in the rat, we will document light-evoked activity in identified pain-modulating neurons and ..
- Molecular Control of cGMP Signaling by PKGs and PDEsJackie Corbin; Fiscal Year: 2007..signals such as nitric oxide, natriuretic peptides, and guanylins, as well as effects of medications such as nitroglycerin and sildenafil (Viagra/TM)...
- CYCLIC GMP REGULATION OF SMOOTH MUSCLE CONTRACTILITYRobert Rapoport; Fiscal Year: 1990..These include nitrovasodilators (nitroglycerin, sodium nitroprusside, etc.), endothelium-dependent vasodilators (thrombin, ATP, acetylcholine, etc...
- TRIGGERING MECHANISMS FOR MIGRANINE HEADACHEMOSKOWITZ MICHAEL; Fiscal Year: 2006..b>Nitroglycerin (a prodrug for Nitric Oxide) administered to migraineurs triggers the typical migraine headaches 4-6 hours ..
- DETERMINANTS OF VASODILATOR RESPONSE IN HEART FAILUREMilton Packer; Fiscal Year: 1992..and endogenous vasodilators in heart failure, and thus may contribute to the development of tolerance to nitroglycerin and resistance to atrial natriuretic peptide...
- STATISTICAL METHOD TO CONTROL THE HEALTHY WORKER EFFECTJames Robins; Fiscal Year: 1990..Canadian asbestos miners, U.S. uranium miners, cutting oil-exposed auto workers, and nitroglycerin-exposed munitions workers will be reanalized with the new methods and with standard methods, and the results ..
- Tools for migraine drug developmentKEVIN CHRISTOPHER BRENNAN; Fiscal Year: 2013..We will also use the nitroglycerin model of migraine without aura to complement the CSD model, which is most relevant to migraine with aura...
- The Role of Endothelias Dysfunction in HIV-Associated Pulmonary HypertensionJennifer Ho; Fiscal Year: 2009..versus endothelial-independent peripheral vasoreactivity by comparing brachial artery FMD with nitroglycerin administration response in HIV-infected patients with PAH, respectively...
- Molecular Mechanisms of PDE5 RegulationJackie Corbin; Fiscal Year: 2005..g., caffeine, papaverine, and sildenafil) and nitrovasodilators (e.g., nitroglycerin). Certain enterotoxins cause secretory diarrhea by elevating cGMP. Dr...
- S-nitrosylation of soluble guanylyl cyclase: potential role in nitrate toleranceAnnie Beuve; Fiscal Year: 2009..Prolonged exposure to nitroglycerin (GTN), which induces vasodilation via NO generation, results in the loss of vasodilatory response to NO and ..
- NITRATE TOLERANCE--ROLE OF NO IN POSTERIOR HYPOTHALAMUSSheng Xing Ma; Fiscal Year: 2004..Our previous studies have shown that nitroglycerin (NTG), a nitric oxide (NO) donor, increases the central release and synthesis of NE...
- POSTMENOPAUSAL HORMONE THERAPY IN UNSTABLE ANGINASteven Schulman; Fiscal Year: 1999..to receive one of three drug treatment groups, in addition to routine management including intravenous nitroglycerin, aspirin, and heparin. Patients will remain on study drug for three weeks...
- NOVEL PHARMACOLOGICAL APPROACHES TO TREAT ANAL DISEASEThomas Parks; Fiscal Year: 1999..The topical use of organic nitrates, e.g. nitroglycerin (NTG), presents a promising new approach to treat anal fissure...
- NITROGLYCERIN DINITRATE METABOLITES--KINETICS/DYNAMICSLeslie Benet; Fiscal Year: 1990..of our research is to examine the relationship between the pharmacokinetics and the pharmacodynamics of nitroglycerin (NTG) and its dinitrate metabolites...
- NOVEL NMDA RECEPTOR ANTAGONISTS FOR HIV NEUROINJURYYuqiang Wang; Fiscal Year: 2000..found that the clinically-tolerated NMDA antagonist memantine and nitric oxide (NO)-related species such as nitroglycerin (NTG) can protect neurons in mixed neuronal/glial cultures from neuroinjury...
- Does NO mediate clinical anti-VEGF vascular effectsHerbert Hurwitz; Fiscal Year: 2004..We will employ low nitrite/nitrate diets and administration of sublingual nitroglycerin to improve the sensitivity and specificity of these approaches...
- THERAPEUTIC TARGETS IN TRANSGENIC MICELennart Mucke; Fiscal Year: 2000..with drugs aimed at specific neuropathogenic pathways (including meman-tine, other adamantanes, nimodipine, nitroglycerin, and phenylbutylnitrone) and compare the extent of their nervous system damage with that of sham-treated ..
- GENDER DIFFERENCES IN PATTERNS OF CHRONIC ANGINAL PAINLaura Kimble; Fiscal Year: 2001..Secondary research questions address factors that influence nitroglycerin use.
- Ultrafine Particle-Induced Oxidative StressMark Frampton; Fiscal Year: 2007..Systemic vascular effects will be measured using forearm flow-mediated dilatation, with and without nitroglycerin. In addition, the investigators will measure the oxidant capacity of the concentrated ultrafine aerosol, and ..
- Effect of blood flow pattern on endothelial damageJOAQUIN GONZALES; Fiscal Year: 2007..dilatory function will be assessed by measuring peak reactive hyperemia and sublingual administration of nitroglycerin. The proposed research will advance knowledge of how physical activity may improve vascular health, and may ..
- Venous Hemodynamic Function in Older Hypertensive AdultsWILLIAM FARQUHAR; Fiscal Year: 2006..Curves will be generated under basal conditions, following sublingual nitroglycerin administration and during ischemic handgrip exercise (restricted randomization), to examine the effect of ..
- NICOTINE INDUCED CEREBROVASCULAR DYSFUNCTIONWILLIAM MAYHAN; Fiscal Year: 2006..In addition, results of these studies may provide insights regarding possible therapeutic approaches for the treatment of nicotine-induced vascular dysfunction. ..
- Cerebral Microcirculation During Alcohol ConsumptionWILLIAM MAYHAN; Fiscal Year: 2008..These studies will provide valuable new insights and will lead to new therapeutic approaches for the treatment of cerebrovascular abnormalities observed in chronic alcoholics. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Cerebrovascular Disease in Type 1 DiabetesWILLIAM MAYHAN; Fiscal Year: 2007..We suggest that our results will provide novel insights regarding therapeutic approaches for the treatment/prevention of cerebrovascular dysfunction in diabetes. ..
- Prevention of Postmenopausal Bone Loss with Nitric OxideSunil Wimalawansa; Fiscal Year: 2007..The goal of this proposed research is to establish the role of nitric oxide (NO) donor nitroglycerin (NG), in the prevention of postmenopausal osteoporosis...
- Biologic Ventricular Assist DeviceRobert Kloner; Fiscal Year: 2004..Identification and characterization of transplants will be carried out with PCR analysis of the Y chromosome (male cells into female host), detailed histologic analysis and immunostaining for muscle cell markers. ..
- NO-CGMP INHIBITION OF UROGENITAL SMOOTH MUSCLEChristopher Rembold; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- Mesenchymal Stem Cells for Myocardial InfarctionRobert Kloner; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- COLLABORATIVE R01-CARDIAC GRAFTS-FUNCTIONAL ANALYSESRobert Kloner; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- P20-Mediated Suppression of Vascular ForceChristopher Rembold; Fiscal Year: 2004..Many current treatments target smooth muscle to reduce tone. It is possible that targeting the force suppression pathway (i.e. p20) might provide comparable benefits. ..
- Micellar VIP Nanoparticles for Rheumatoid ArthritisIsrael Rubinstein; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- CYTOSTATIC ROLE OF THE ARGININE-NITRIC OXIDE PATHWAYLouis Ignarro; Fiscal Year: 2001..The proposed research should advance our understanding of the biological role of NO synthase in regulating cell proliferation. ..
- Organic Nitrate Metabolism, Tolerance and ActionHo Leung Fung; Fiscal Year: 2010..These important cardiovascular drugs, including nitroglycerin (NTG), are used for the acute relief of coronary ischemia and for prophylaxis against angina pectoris...
- ACTION-A CHF TRIAL INVESTIGATING OUTCOMES OF EXERCISEWilliam Abraham; Fiscal Year: 2005..The trial will take place over 5 years with an initial 6 months for planning, training, and implementation; 3 years of enrollment; 1 year of follow-up; and 6 months for close out, analysis, and presentation. ..
- Arginase and Nitric Oxide in AtherosclerosisLouis Ignarro; Fiscal Year: 2004..The feasibility of this approach is borne out by the extensive preliminary data that support the central hypothesis. ..
- Toxicokinetics and Toxicodynamics of GHB and PrecursorsHo Leung Fung; Fiscal Year: 2004..A pharmacogenetic mapping of the pharmacological effects of GHB will be obtained. The effects of tolerance development, withdrawal, gender, receptor blockade on these effects will be examined. ..
- Toxicokinetics and Toxicodynamics of Nitrite InhalantsHo Leung Fung; Fiscal Year: 2005..We believe that our proposal represents novel approaches toward the understanding of nitrite inhalant toxicity in vivo. ..
- REGULATION OF EXPRESSION OF NO SYNTHASELouis Ignarro; Fiscal Year: 2002..The proposed research represents a continuing long-term effort to elucidate the biological factors influencing the vascular and related actions of NO in health and disease. ..
- Assessment of the Chemical Biology of HNO via New DonorsKatrina M Miranda; Fiscal Year: 2010..Additionally, new biological targets, such as zinc fingers and non-heme iron centers, are likely to be revealed, which may suggest other therapeutic interventions. ..
- REG OF NITRIC OXIDE PRODUCT IN THE HEPATIC CIRCULATIONVijay Shah; Fiscal Year: 2002..Defining the mechanisms that regulate nitric oxide production in SEC may lead to therapeutic options whereby NO activity may be pharmacologically or genetically modulated and benefit patients with cirrhosis and portal hypertension. ..
- ENDOTHELIN IN HUMANS CORONARY IN EARLY ATHEROSCLEROSISAmir Lerman; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- Implementation of Asthma Guidelines in Primary Care; Comparison of 4 approachesJames W Mold; Fiscal Year: 2010..If effective, the same strategies could be used to facilitate implementation of other chronic disease guidelines. ..
- CARDIAC VALVE CALCIFICATIONEmile Mohler; Fiscal Year: 2003..2. To investigate mechanisms of valve calcification using a cell culture model of calcification. 3. To examine therapeutic strategies to inhibit valve calcification with a bisphosphonate in cell culture. ..
- ESTROGEN EFFECT ON COLLATERAL GROWTH AND FUNCTIONKathryn Lamping; Fiscal Year: 2001..in this proposal are: 1) to determine the response of both native and stimulated collaterals to vasodilators (nitroglycerin, acetylcholine) and vasoconstrictors (serotonin, endothelin, vasopressin and PGF2alpha...
- Stem cell-based therapy in heart failure: aging effectsMohamed Gaballa; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- Biomarkers of Peripheral Arterial DiseaseIftikhar Kullo; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- ENDOTHELIAL DYSFUNCTION AND PERIOPERATIVE EVENTSNoyan Gokce; Fiscal Year: 2004..Identifying high-risk subjects with impaired vascular function may lead to potential improvement in management of these patients. ..
- Renin Angiotensin for Coronary Microvascular DysfunctionCarl Pepine; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- New Strategies to Enhance Drug Adherence in HypertensionRobert DeBusk; Fiscal Year: 2003..Demonstration of the efficacy of nurse case management of hypertension in the proposed project may facilitate the dissemination of this approach to underserved populations throughout the U.S. ..
- NO AND OXIDATIVE STRESS IN HUMAN MYOCARDIAL FAILUREMichael Givertz; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..