Genomes and Genes
Summary: A unicyclic, aminoketone antidepressant. The mechanism of its therapeutic actions is not well understood, but it does appear to block dopamine uptake. The hydrochloride is available as an aid to smoking cessation treatment.
Publications308 found, 100 shown here
- Bupropion improves attention but does not affect impulsive behavior in healthy young adultsAshley Acheson
Department of Pharmacology, Research Imaging Center, University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, San Antonio, TX 78229, USA
Exp Clin Psychopharmacol 16:113-23. 2008b>Bupropion is an effective abstinence aid for cessation of smoking and possibly other drug use as well...
- Comparisons of high-dose and combination nicotine replacement therapy, varenicline, and bupropion for smoking cessation: a systematic review and multiple treatment meta-analysisEdward J Mills
Department of Clinical Epidemiology and Biostatistics, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Ann Med 44:588-97. 2012This review compared the effect of high-dose nicotine replacement therapy (NRT) and combinations of NRT for increasing smoking abstinence rates compared to standard-dose NRT patch, varenicline, and bupropion on smoking abstinence.
- Bupropion-SR, sertraline, or venlafaxine-XR after failure of SSRIs for depressionA John Rush
Department of Psychiatry, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, TX 75390 9086, USA
N Engl J Med 354:1231-42. 2006..After unsuccessful treatment for depression with a selective serotonin-reuptake inhibitor (SSRI), it is not known whether switching to one antidepressant is more effective than switching to another...
- Does menthol attenuate the effect of bupropion among African American smokers?Kolawole S Okuyemi
Department of Family Medicine, Kansas Cancer Institute and Internal Medicine, University of Kansas School of Medicine, Kansas City, KS, USA
Addiction 98:1387-93. 2003..This study examined differences between African American menthol and non-menthol smokers in smoking characteristics and cessation...
- Bupropion sustained release for bereavement: results of an open trialS Zisook
Department of Psychiatry, University of California San Diego, La Jolla 92093, USA
J Clin Psychiatry 62:227-30. 2001The present study was conducted to assess whether DSM-IV-defined bereavement responds to bupropion sustained release (SR).
- Effect of naltrexone plus bupropion on weight loss in overweight and obese adults (COR-I): a multicentre, randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled, phase 3 trialFrank L Greenway
Pennington Biomedical Research Center, Louisiana State University System, Baton Rouge, LA 70808, USA
Lancet 376:595-605. 2010..Combination treatment with sustained-release naltrexone and bupropion was developed to produce complementary actions in CNS pathways regulating bodyweight...
- Comparison of combined bupropion and naltrexone therapy for obesity with monotherapy and placeboFrank L Greenway
Pennington Biomedical Research Center, Louisiana State University System, 6400 Perkins Road, Baton Rouge, Louisiana 70808, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 94:4898-906. 2009..The efficacy of current centrally acting obesity pharmacotherapies is limited by compensatory mechanisms that mitigate weight loss...
- Combination therapy with naltrexone and bupropion for obesitySonja K Billes
Sierra Scientific Solutions, 4663 Edgeware Road, San Diego, CA 92116, USA
Expert Opin Pharmacother 12:1813-26. 2011..Naltrexone/bupropion combination therapy was developed by using technological advances that have improved our understanding of how ..
- Comparisons between bupropion and dexamphetamine in a range of in vivo tests exploring dopaminergic transmissionP Bredeloux
CNRS FRE 2735, Unité de Neuropsychopharmacologie Expérimentale, IFRMP 23, Faculte de Medecine Pharmacie, 22 Bd Gambetta, Rouen Cedex, France
Br J Pharmacol 150:711-9. 2007In the present study we investigated, in a range of in vivo tests whether the antidepressant bupropion, and its metabolites shared the dopamine releasing effect of the chemically related dexamphetamine.
- Depression-like behavior and mechanical allodynia are reduced by bis selenide treatment in mice with chronic constriction injury: a comparison with fluoxetine, amitriptyline, and bupropionCristiano R Jesse
Laboratorio de Sintese, Reatividade e Avaliação Farmacológica e Toxicológica de Organocalcogênios, Centro de Ciencias Naturais e Exatas, Universidade Federal de Santa Maria, CEP 97105 900, Santa Maria, RS, Brazil
Psychopharmacology (Berl) 212:513-22. 2010..Pain co-morbidity symptoms are rarely assessed in animal models of neuropathic pain. Neuropathic pain is characterized by hyperexcitability within nociceptive pathways and remains difficult to treat with standard analgesics...
- Induction of cytochrome P450 2B6 activity by the herbal medicine baicalin as measured by bupropion hydroxylationLan Fan
Pharmacogenetics Research Institute, Institute of Clinical Pharmacology, Central South University, Changsha, Hunan, People s Republic of China
Eur J Clin Pharmacol 65:403-9. 2009This study investigated the effect of the herbal medicine baicalin on bupropion hydroxylation, a probe reaction for CYP2B6 activity related to different CYP2B6 genotype groups.
- Polymorphic variants of cytochrome P450 2B6 (CYP2B6.4-CYP2B6.9) exhibit altered rates of metabolism for bupropion and efavirenz: a charge-reversal mutation in the K139E variant (CYP2B6.8) impairs formation of a functional cytochrome p450-reductase complexHaoming Zhang
Department of Pharmacology, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109 5632, USA
J Pharmacol Exp Ther 338:803-9. 2011In this study, metabolism of bupropion, efavirenz, and 7-ethoxy-4-trifluoromethylcoumarin (7-EFC) by CYP2B6 wild type (CYP2B6.1) and six polymorphic variants (CYP2B6.4 to CYP2B6...
- Persistence with once-daily versus twice-daily bupropion for the treatment of depression in a large managed-care populationPaul Stang
West Chester University College of Health Sciences, West Chester, Pennsylvania, USA
Am J Ther 14:241-6. 2007In this study, the impact of dosing frequency [once daily with bupropion extended-release (XL) versus twice daily with bupropion sustained-release (SR)] on medication persistence was assessed over a 9-month period in a large cohort of ..
- Once-daily bupropion associated with improved patient adherence compared with twice-daily bupropion in treatment of depressionTrent McLaughlin
NDCHealth, Phoenix, AZ, USA
Am J Ther 14:221-5. 2007The main aim of this study was to examine the impact of dosing regimens on patients' persistence to bupropion. A nationally representative patient-level database comprising of pharmacy and medical claims was used to identify patients ..
- Pharmacogenetics of smoking cessation therapyGustavo L Kortmann
Departamento de Genetica, Instituto de Biociencias, Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul, Porto Alegre, RS, Brazil
Am J Med Genet B Neuropsychiatr Genet 153:17-28. 2010..GWAS) between genetic polymorphisms and smoking cessation following nicotine replacement therapy (NRT) and/or bupropion therapy...
- Comparison of the effects of bupropion and nicotine on locomotor activation and dopamine release in vivoNimish Sidhpura
Department of Biology and Biochemistry, University of Bath, Bath, UK
Biochem Pharmacol 74:1292-8. 2007b>Bupropion is an atypical anti-depressant that is approved for smoking cessation...
- Weight loss with naltrexone SR/bupropion SR combination therapy as an adjunct to behavior modification: the COR-BMOD trialThomas A Wadden
Department of Psychiatry, Center for Weight and Eating Disorders, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
Obesity (Silver Spring) 19:110-20. 2011This 56-week, randomized, placebo-controlled trial examined the efficacy and safety of naltrexone plus bupropion as an adjunct to intensive behavior modification (BMOD). A total of 793 participants (BMI = 36.5 ± 4...
- Antidepressant side effects in depression patients treated in a naturalistic setting: a study of bupropion, moclobemide, paroxetine, sertraline, and venlafaxineJ D Vanderkooy
Queen s University, Kingston, Ontario
Can J Psychiatry 47:174-80. 2002..There is no commonly accepted standard for comparing antidepressant-induced side effects. This study evaluates a clinician-administered scale, the Toronto Side Effect Scale (TSES), in a natural practice clinic...
- Varenicline and suicidal behaviour: a cohort study based on data from the General Practice Research DatabaseD Gunnell
University of Bristol, Department of Social Medicine, University of Bristol, Bristol BS8 2PS
BMJ 339:b3805. 2009To determine whether varenicline, a recently licensed smoking cessation product, is associated with an increased risk of suicide and suicidal behaviour compared with alternative treatments bupropion and nicotine replacement therapy.
- Double-blind, placebo-controlled comparison of the antidepressant efficacy and tolerability of bupropion XR and venlafaxine XRKaren Hewett
GlaxoSmithKline, Pharmaceuticals, New Frontiers Science Park, Harlow, UK
J Psychopharmacol 24:1209-16. 2010b>Bupropion, a noradrenaline/dopamine reuptake inhibitor, and venlafaxine, a serotonin/noradrenaline reuptake inhibitor, are both established antidepressants with proven efficacy in randomized controlled clinical trials...
- Comparing gain- and loss-framed messages for smoking cessation with sustained-release bupropion: a randomized controlled trialBenjamin A Toll
Yale University School of Medicine, Department of Psychiatry, New Haven, CT 06511, USA
Psychol Addict Behav 21:534-44. 2007..All participants received open label sustained-release bupropion (300 mg/day) for 7 weeks...
- Seasonal affective disorder and its prevention by anticipatory treatment with bupropion XLJack G Modell
GlaxoSmithKline, Research Triangle Park, North Carolina, USA
Biol Psychiatry 58:658-67. 2005..Seasonal affective disorder (SAD) can cause significant distress and impairment. No antidepressant studies have previously attempted to prevent the onset of autumn-winter depression...
- A placebo-controlled trial of bupropion combined with nicotine patch for smoking cessation in schizophreniaTony P George
Centre for Addiction and Mental Health, Faculty of Medicine, University of Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Biol Psychiatry 63:1092-6. 2008..We determined whether the combination of sustained-release (SR) bupropion (BUP) with the transdermal nicotine patch (TNP) was well-tolerated and superior to placebo (PLO)+TNP for smoking ..
- Synthesis of 2-(substituted phenyl)-3,5,5-trimethylmorpholine analogues and their effects on monoamine uptake, nicotinic acetylcholine receptor function, and behavioral effects of nicotineF Ivy Carroll
Center for Organic and Medicinal Chemistry, Research Triangle Institute, PO Box 12194, Research Triangle Park, North Carolina 27709 2194, United States
J Med Chem 54:1441-8. 2011Toward development of smoking cessation aids superior to bupropion (2), we describe synthesis of 2-(substituted phenyl)-3,5,5-trimethylmorpholine analogues 5a-5h and their effects on inhibition of dopamine, norepinephrine, and serotonin ..
- Effect of varenicline and bupropion SR on craving, nicotine withdrawal symptoms, and rewarding effects of smoking during a quit attemptRobert West
Cancer Research UK Health Behaviour Unit, Department of Epidemiology and Public Health, University College London, Brook House, London, UK
Psychopharmacology (Berl) 197:371-7. 2008....
- Neuropsychiatric events in varenicline and nicotine replacement patch users in the Military Health SystemTamra E Meyer
Department of the Army, Office of the Surgeon General, Pharmacovigilance Center, Falls Church, VA 22042 5142, USA
Addiction 108:203-10. 2013..To determine the rate ratio of neuropsychiatric hospitalizations in new users of varenicline compared to new users of nicotine replacement therapy (NRT) patch in the Military Health System (MHS)...
- Smoking cessation pharmacogenetics: analysis of varenicline and bupropion in placebo-controlled clinical trialsDavid P King
Pfizer Global Research and Development, Groton, CT 06340, USA
Neuropsychopharmacology 37:641-50. 2012..In the first pharmacogenetic investigation of the efficacy of varenicline and bupropion, we examined whether genes important in the pharmacodynamics and pharmacokinetics of these drugs and nicotine ..
- A randomized, phase 3 trial of naltrexone SR/bupropion SR on weight and obesity-related risk factors (COR-II)Caroline M Apovian
Section of Endocrinology, Diabetes and Nutrition, Department of Medicine, Boston University School of Medicine, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Obesity (Silver Spring) 21:935-43. 2013To examine the effects of naltrexone/bupropion (NB) combination therapy on weight and weight-related risk factors in overweight and obese participants.
- Predictors of cessation in African American light smokers enrolled in a bupropion clinical trialBabalola Faseru
Department of Preventive Medicine and Public Health, University of Kansas School of Medicine, Kansas City, KS 66160, USA
Addict Behav 38:1796-803. 2013This is the first study to examine predictors of successful cessation in African American (AA) light smokers treated within a placebo-controlled trial of bupropion.
- Combination varenicline and bupropion SR for tobacco-dependence treatment in cigarette smokers: a randomized trialJon O Ebbert
Nicotine Dependence Center, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota
JAMA 311:155-63. 2014..Combining pharmacotherapies for tobacco-dependence treatment may increase smoking abstinence...
- Bupropion: pharmacology and therapeutic applicationsKevin F Foley
University of Vermont, Department of Medical Laboratory and Radiation Sciences Burlington, 302 Rowell Building, VT 05405, USA
Expert Rev Neurother 6:1249-65. 2006A total of 17 years after its introduction, bupropion remains a safe and effective antidepressant, suitable for first-line use...
- Influence of sildenafil on the antidepressant activity of bupropion and venlafaxine in the forced swim test in miceKatarzyna Socała
Department of Animal Physiology, Institute of Biology and Biochemistry, Maria Curie Skłodowska University, Lublin, Poland
Pharmacol Biochem Behav 103:273-8. 2012..Sildenafil, a selective PDE5 inhibitor, was shown to abolish the anti-immobility effects of bupropion, venlafaxine and s-citalopram in mice...
- Rapid clinical induction of bupropion hydroxylation by metamizole in healthy Chinese menWen jie Qin
Pharmacogenetics Research Institute, Institute of Clinical Pharmacology, Hunan Key Laboratory of Pharmacogenetics, Central South University, Changsha, Hunan, China
Br J Clin Pharmacol 74:999-1004. 2012This study aimed to investigate the effect of metamizole on bupropion hydroxylation related to different CYP2B6 genotype groups in healthy volunteers.
- A retrospective analysis of two randomized trials of bupropion for methamphetamine dependence: suggested guidelines for treatment discontinuation/augmentationMatthew Brensilver
Department of Family Medicine, David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, CA 90095, USA
Drug Alcohol Depend 125:169-72. 2012Two clinical trials have shown efficacy for bupropion in treating methamphetamine (MA) dependence among those with moderate baseline MA use...
- Naltrexone/bupropion: an investigational combination for weight loss and maintenanceCharles T Makowski
Department of Pharmacy Practice, Eugene Applebaum College of Pharmacy and Health Science, Wayne State University, Detroit, MI 48201, USA
Obes Facts 4:489-94. 2011Naltrexone/bupropion is an investigational combination for weight loss and maintenance in patients who are obese or have a BMI ≥ 27 kg/m(2) with comorbid diabetes, hypertension or hyperlipidemia...
- Remission rates following antidepressant therapy with bupropion or selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors: a meta-analysis of original data from 7 randomized controlled trialsMichael E Thase
Department of Psychiatry, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Pittsburgh, PA 15213 2593, USA
J Clin Psychiatry 66:974-81. 2005..a meta-analysis of original data from a complete set of studies comparing the norepinephrine/dopamine reuptake inhibitor (NDRI) bupropion with selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs; sertraline, fluoxetine, or paroxetine).
- Cost-effectiveness of different combinations of bupropion SR dose and behavioral treatment for smoking cessation: a societal perspectiveHarold S Javitz
Center for Health Sciences, SRI International, Menlo Park, Calif 94025, USA
Am J Manag Care 10:217-26. 2004To determine the differential cost effectiveness of 2 dosing regimens of bupropion sustained release (SR) in combination with behavioral interventions of minimal intensity (tailored mailings [TM]) or moderate intensity (proactive ..
- A double-blind, placebo-controlled, randomized trial of bupropion for smoking cessation in primary careRoldano Fossati
Department of Oncology, Mario Negri Institute, Eritrea 62, Milan 20157, Italy
Arch Intern Med 167:1791-7. 2007Studies undertaken in academic settings have shown that bupropion hydrochloride can double the odds of smoking cessation compared with placebo...
- Delirium associated with concomitant use of low-dose bupropion sustained release and fluoxetineChia Hsiang Chan
J Clin Psychopharmacol 26:677-9. 2006
- A randomized, single-blind, comparison of duloxetine with bupropion in the treatment of SSRI-resistant major depressionG Rosso
Mood and Anxiety Disorders Unit, Department of Neuroscience, University of Turin, Turin, Italy
J Affect Disord 136:172-6. 2012..The goal of the present work was to compare in terms of efficacy two different dual-action compounds, duloxetine and bupropion, in patients who failed to respond in two consecutive antidepressant trials with SSRIs.
- Naltrexone sustained-release (SR) + bupropion SR combination therapy for the treatment of obesity: 'a new kid on the block'?Niki Katsiki
Department of Clinical Biochemistry Vascular Disease Prevention Clinics, Royal Free Hospital Campus, University College London Medical School, University College London UCL, UK
Ann Med 43:249-58. 2011..This review considers the results of phase III clinical trials with naltrexone sustained-release (SR) + bupropion SR combination therapy in obese patients with or without type 2 diabetes mellitus...
- Dopamine receptor DRD2 genotype and smoking cessation outcome following treatment with bupropion SRG E Swan
Center for Health Sciences, SRI International, Menlo Park, CA 94025, USA
Pharmacogenomics J 5:21-9. 2005..the DRD2 receptor gene are associated with smoking cessation outcomes following treatment with a combination of bupropion SR and behavioral counseling...
- Involvement of nitric oxide (NO) signaling pathway in the antidepressant action of bupropion, a dopamine reuptake inhibitorAshish Dhir
Pharmacology Division, University Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Panjab University, Chandigarh 160014, India
Eur J Pharmacol 568:177-85. 2007..to elucidate the alterations in various behavioral and neurochemical basis of antidepressant action of bupropion [(+/-)-alpha-t-butylamino-3-chloropropiophenone], a dopamine reuptake inhibitor and to elucidate the possible ..
- Better patient persistence with once-daily bupropion compared with twice-daily bupropionPaul Stang
West Chester University College of Health Sciences, West Chester, PA, USA
Am J Ther 14:20-4. 2007..This study was conducted to assess the impact of dosing frequency (once daily with bupropion XL vs twice daily with bupropion SR) on adherence to bupropion therapy in a nationally representative ..
- Is the inhibition of nicotinic acetylcholine receptors by bupropion involved in its clinical actions?Hugo R Arias
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, College of Pharmacy, Midwestern University, 19555 N 59th Avenue, Glendale, AZ 85308, USA
Int J Biochem Cell Biol 41:2098-108. 2009In this mini review we will focus on those molecular and cellular mechanisms exerted by bupropion (BP), ultimately leading to the antidepressant and anti-nicotinic properties described for this molecule...
- Neural correlates of antidepressant-related sexual dysfunction: a placebo-controlled fMRI study on healthy males under subchronic paroxetine and bupropionBirgit Abler
Department of Psychiatry, University of Ulm, Ulm, Germany
Neuropsychopharmacology 36:1837-47. 2011..b>Bupropion, a norepinephrine and dopamine reuptake inhibitor, is recommended as an alternative treatment without adverse ..
- A new chapter opens in anti-inflammatory treatments: the antidepressant bupropion lowers production of tumor necrosis factor-alpha and interferon-gamma in miceD Brustolim
Centro de Pesquisas Goncalo Moniz, FIOCRUZ Rua Waldemar Falcão, 121 Candeal, Salvador, BA, Brazil, 40296 750
Int Immunopharmacol 6:903-7. 2006..We show here that a commonly used generic antidepressant bupropion, in wide use worldwide to treat depression in humans for a decade now, profoundly lowers levels of TNF, ..
- Attenuation of cue-induced cigarette craving and anterior cingulate cortex activation in bupropion-treated smokers: a preliminary studyArthur L Brody
Department of Psychiatry and Biobehavioral Sciences, David Geffen Schol of Medicine, University of Californai at Los Angeles, and Positron Emission Tomography Center, Greater Los Angeles Veterans Affairs Healthcare System, USA
Psychiatry Res 130:269-81. 2004..Given that treatment with bupropion HCl reduces overall cigarette craving levels in nicotine dependent subjects, we performed a preliminary study of ..
- Identification of pharmacogenetic markers in smoking cessation therapyDaniel F Heitjan
Department of Biostatistics and Epidemiology, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104, USA
Am J Med Genet B Neuropsychiatr Genet 147:712-9. 2008..use a Bayesian testing approach to screen a panel of genetic markers recorded in a randomized clinical trial of bupropion versus placebo for smoking cessation...
- Chronic imipramine but not bupropion increases arachidonic acid signaling in rat brain: is this related to 'switching' in bipolar disorder?H J Lee
Brain Physiology and Metabolism Section, National Institute on Aging, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Mol Psychiatry 15:602-14. 2010..To test this hypothesis, adult male CDF-344 rats were administered imipramine and bupropion, with reported high and low switching rates, respectively, at daily doses of 10 and 30 mg kg(-1) i.p...
- Predictors of smoking cessation among African-Americans enrolled in a randomized controlled trial of bupropionKari Jo Harris
Department of Psychology, University of Montana, Missoula, MT 59812, USA
Prev Med 38:498-502. 2004..This study identifies factors that predict successful quitting among African-Americans participating in a smoking cessation trial...
- Bupropion SR enhances weight loss: a 48-week double-blind, placebo- controlled trialJames W Anderson
Department of Internal Medicine, Veterans Affairs Medical Center, University of Kentucky, Lexington, Kentucky, USA
Obes Res 10:633-41. 2002To critically examine the efficacy of bupropion SR for weight loss.
- The feasibility of smoking reduction: an updateJohn R Hughes
Department of Psychiatry, Psychology and Family Practice, University of Vermont, Burlington, VT 05401, USA
Addiction 100:1074-89. 2005....
- Review of the pharmacology and clinical profile of bupropion, an antidepressant and tobacco use cessation agentLinda P Dwoskin
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, College of Pharmacy, University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY 40536 0082, USA
CNS Drug Rev 12:178-207. 2006b>Bupropion hydrochloride ((+/-)-2-tert-butylamino)-3'-chloropropiophenone x HCl) is a nonselective inhibitor of the dopamine transporter (DAT) and the norepinephrine transporter (NET) and is also an antagonist at neuronal nicotinic ..
- Sustained-release bupropion for smoking cessation in African Americans: a randomized controlled trialJasjit S Ahluwalia
Department of Preventive Medicine and Public Health, University of Kansas School of Medicine and Kansas Cancer Institute, Kansas City, KS 66160 7313, USA
JAMA 288:468-74. 2002..Few clinical trials for smoking cessation in African Americans have been conducted, despite a different profile of both smoking and quitting patterns...
- Bupropion in the treatment of pathological gambling: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, flexible-dose studyDonald W Black
Department of Psychiatry, University of Iowa Roy J and Lucille A Carver College of Medicine, Iowa City, IA 52242, USA
J Clin Psychopharmacol 27:143-50. 2007We tested the efficacy of bupropion in the treatment of persons with pathological gambling (PG)...
- Pharmacogenetic determinants of interindividual variability in bupropion hydroxylation by cytochrome P450 2B6 in human liver microsomesLeah M Hesse
Clinical Pharmacology Laboratory, Department of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics, Tufts University School of Medicine, 136 Harrison Avenue, Boston, MA 02111, USA
Pharmacogenetics 14:225-38. 2004b>Bupropion is primarily metabolized in human liver by cytochrome P450 (CYP) 2B6, an isoform that shows high interindividual variability in expression and catalysis...
- Are there gender differences in smoking cessation, with and without bupropion? Pooled- and meta-analyses of clinical trials of Bupropion SRDeborah Scharf
Department of Psychology, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
Addiction 99:1462-9. 2004In this study, we examine gender differences in smoking cessation with and without treatment with Bupropion SR...
- A smoking ban in public places increases the efficacy of bupropion and counseling on cessation outcomes at 1 yearM Caterina Grassi
Centro Antidroga and Farmacologia Clinica, Policlinico Umberto I Department of Physiology and Pharmacology V Erspamer, Sapienza University of Rome, Rome, Italy
Nicotine Tob Res 11:1114-21. 2009..We investigated the impact of the Italian 2005 indoor smoking ban on the efficacy of counseling alone or in combination with bupropion for smoking cessation.
- Bupropion and naltrexone: a review of their use individually and in combination for the treatment of obesityRaymond A Plodkowski
University of Nevada School of Medicine, Reno, NV 89502, USA
Expert Opin Pharmacother 10:1069-81. 2009b>Bupropion and naltrexone are centrally active drugs that have shown potential efficacy - alone and in combination - for the treatment of obesity.
- Pharmacology of nicotine: addiction, smoking-induced disease, and therapeuticsNeal L Benowitz
Department of Medicine, Division of Clinical Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics, Medical Service, San Francisco General Hospital Medical Center, University of California, San Francisco, California 94143 1220, USA
Annu Rev Pharmacol Toxicol 49:57-71. 2009..Pharmacotherapeutic approaches to tobacco addiction include nicotine replacement, bupropion, and varenicline, the latter a selective nicotine receptor partial agonist.
- Toward personalized therapy for smoking cessation: a randomized placebo-controlled trial of bupropionF Patterson
Department of Psychiatry, Transdisciplinary Tobacco Use Research Center, Abramson Cancer Center, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
Clin Pharmacol Ther 84:320-5. 2008
- Inhibition of CYP2D6 activity by bupropionMichael Kotlyar
Department of Experimental and Clinical Pharmacology, College of Pharmacy, University of Minnesota, Twin Cities Campus, Minneapolis, MN 55455, USA
J Clin Psychopharmacol 25:226-9. 2005The purpose of this study was to assess the effect of bupropion on cytochrome P450 2D6 (CYP2D6) activity...
- Long-term side effects of newer-generation antidepressants: SSRIS, venlafaxine, nefazodone, bupropion, and mirtazapinePrakash S Masand
Department of Psychiatry, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina 27710, USA
Ann Clin Psychiatry 14:175-82. 2002..It may be possible to prevent discontinuation symptoms with a cross taper to another antidepressant or by slowly tapering the antidepressant...
- Smoking cessation in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: a double-blind, placebo-controlled, randomised trialD Tashkin
Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, Department of Medicine, UCLA School of Medicine, 90095, Los Angeles CA, USA
Lancet 357:1571-5. 2001..Our aim was to investigate the effect of sustained-release bupropion (amfebutamone) (SR) in promoting abstinence from smoking in patients with COPD.
- Varenicline, an alpha4beta2 nicotinic acetylcholine receptor partial agonist, vs sustained-release bupropion and placebo for smoking cessation: a randomized controlled trialDavid Gonzales
Smoking Cessation Center, Department of Medicine, Oregon Health and Science University, Portland, OR 97239, USA
JAMA 296:47-55. 2006..The alpha4beta2 nicotinic acetylcholine receptors (nAChRs) are linked to the reinforcing effects of nicotine and maintaining smoking behavior. Varenicline, a novel alpha4beta2 nAChR partial agonist, may be beneficial for smoking cessation...
- An open-label study of naltrexone and bupropion combination therapy for smoking cessation in overweight and obese subjectsCharles S Wilcox
Pharmacology Research Institute, Los Alamitos, CA, USA
Addict Behav 35:229-34. 2010A combination of sustained release (SR) naltrexone (32 mg/day) and bupropion SR (360 mg/day) plus behavioral counseling was evaluated for the treatment of smoking cessation and mitigation of nicotine withdrawal and weight gain...
- Repetitive transcranial magnetic stimulation for tinnitus treatment: no enhancement by the dopamine and noradrenaline reuptake inhibitor bupropionTobias Kleinjung
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, University of Regensburg, Regensburg, Germany
Brain Stimul 4:65-70. 2011..Recent preclinical data in healthy controls suggest that the effects of low-frequency rTMS can be enhanced by dopaminergic drugs...
- CYP2B6 genotype alters abstinence rates in a bupropion smoking cessation trialAnna M Lee
Centre for Addiction and Mental Health and the Department of Pharmacology, University of Toronto, 1 King s College Circle Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Biol Psychiatry 62:635-41. 2007CYP2B6 is the primary enzyme involved in bupropion (Zyban; GlaxoSmithKline, Research Triangle Park, North Carolina) metabolism...
- Bupropion occupancy of the dopamine transporter is low during clinical treatmentJeffrey H Meyer
Department of Psychiatry, PET Centre, Centre for Addiction and Mental Health, University of Toronto, 250 College Street, Toronto, Ontario M5T 1R8, Canada
Psychopharmacology (Berl) 163:102-5. 2002b>Bupropion is thought to treat major depression by blocking the dopamine transporter (DAT) because bupropion appears to have a selective affinity for the DAT...
- Use of lipid emulsion in the resuscitation of a patient with prolonged cardiovascular collapse after overdose of bupropion and lamotrigineArchie J Sirianni
Department of Anesthesiology, Riddle Memorial Hospital, Media, PA, USA
Ann Emerg Med 51:412-5, 415.e1. 2008..95 g of bupropion and 4 g of lamotrigine...
- Bupropion reduces methamphetamine-induced subjective effects and cue-induced cravingThomas F Newton
Department of Psychiatry and Biobehavioral Sciences, David Geffen School of Medicine at the University of California at Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA 90024, USA
Neuropsychopharmacology 31:1537-44. 2006b>Bupropion is an antidepressant with stimulant properties, which inhibits the reuptake of dopamine (DA) and norepinepherine, and is purported to enhance DA neurotransmission...
- Effect of bupropion treatment on brain activation induced by cigarette-related cues in smokersChristopher S Culbertson
Department of Psychiatry, University of California, Los Angeles, CA, USA
Arch Gen Psychiatry 68:505-15. 2011..b>Bupropion hydrochloride treatment reduces cue-induced craving in cigarette smokers; however, the mechanism by which ..
- A preliminary study of bupropion sustained-release for smoking cessation in patients with chronic posttraumatic stress disorderM A Hertzberg
Duke University Medical Center, Department of Psychiatry, Durham, North Carolina, USA
J Clin Psychopharmacol 21:94-8. 2001This study was conducted to evaluate the effect of bupropion sustained-release (SR) on smoking cessation in patients with chronic posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD)...
- Maternal use of bupropion and risk for congenital heart defectsSura Alwan
Department of Medical Genetics, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC, Canada
Am J Obstet Gynecol 203:52.e1-6. 2010We sought to determine if maternal bupropion treatment in early pregnancy is associated with congenital heart defects in the infant.
- A case report of mania related to discontinuation of bupropion therapy for smoking cessationNikolaus Michael
J Clin Psychiatry 65:277. 2004
- Effects of bupropion augmentation on pro-inflammatory cytokines in escitalopram-resistant patients with major depressive disorderT Eller
Department of Psychiatry, University of Tartu, Tartu, Estonia
J Psychopharmacol 23:854-8. 2009..The present study aimed to clarify whether the addition of bupropion in escitalopram-resistant patients with major depression causes changes in the immune system and whether ..
- Effects of pregnane X receptor (NR1I2) and CYP2B6 genetic polymorphisms on the induction of bupropion hydroxylation by rifampinJae Yong Chung
Department of Pharmacology and Clinical Pharmacology, Yonsei University College of Medicine and Severance Hospital, Seoul, Korea
Drug Metab Dispos 39:92-7. 2011..NR1I2) in Korean individuals (n = 83) and the effects of NR1I2 genotypes on rifampin-mediated induction of bupropion hydroxylation...
- Use of varenicline versus bupropion and risk of psychiatric adverse eventsBjörn Pasternak
Department of Epidemiology Research, Statens Serum Institut, Copenhagen, Denmark
Addiction 108:1336-43. 2013To investigate whether varenicline use was associated with increased risk of psychiatric adverse events, compared with bupropion, another drug used for smoking cessation.
- Bupropion sustained release for treatment of tobacco dependenceJ Taylor Hays
Division of General Internal Medicine, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn 55905, USA
Mayo Clin Proc 78:1020-4; quiz 1024. 2003..b>Bupropion sustained release (SR) is the only first-line nonnicotine medication recommended by the US Public Health Service ..
- Evaluation of the safety of bupropion (Zyban) for smoking cessation from experience gained in general practice use in England in 2000Andrew Boshier
Drug Safety Research Unit, Southampton, UK
Eur J Clin Pharmacol 59:767-73. 2003b>Bupropion (Zyban) is the first new pharmacological treatment for smoking cessation to be introduced since nicotine replacement therapy. In smoking cessation trials, it has been associated with minimal side effects...
- Adjunctive aripiprazole for bupropion-resistant major depressionKenneth N Sokolski
Department of Psychiatry and Human Behavior, University of California, Irvine, CA, USA
Ann Pharmacother 42:1124-9. 2008To examine the effects of adjunctive aripiprazole in patients with major depression refractory to adequate therapy with bupropion.
- Inhibition of bupropion metabolism by selegiline: mechanism-based inactivation of human CYP2B6 and characterization of glutathione and peptide adductsChitra Sridar
Department of Pharmacology, The University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, USA
Drug Metab Dispos 40:2256-66. 2012Selegiline, the R-enantiomer of deprenyl, is used in the treatment of Parkinson's disease. Bupropion, an antidepressant, often used to treat patients in conjunction with selegiline, is metabolized primarily by CYP2B6...
- Efficacy of bupropion and the selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors in the treatment of anxiety symptoms in major depressive disorder: a meta-analysis of individual patient data from 10 double-blind, randomized clinical trialsGeorge I Papakostas
Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA
J Psychiatr Res 42:134-40. 2008The goal of this work was to compare the efficacy of the norepinephrine-dopamine reuptake inhibitor bupropion with the selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) in the treatment of anxiety symptoms in major depressive disorder (MDD)..
- Bupropion for smokers hospitalized with acute cardiovascular diseaseNancy A Rigotti
Tobacco Research and Treatment Center, General Medicine Division, and Cardiology Division, Massachusetts General Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, Mass 02114, USA
Am J Med 119:1080-7. 2006..b>Bupropion is effective for smoking cessation, but its safety and efficacy in hospitalized smokers with acute ..
- Chronic bupropion differentially alters the reinforcing, reward-enhancing and conditioned motivational properties of nicotine in ratsNeil E Paterson
Department of Psychiatry, School of Medicine, University of California San Diego, La Jolla, CA 92093 0603, USA
Nicotine Tob Res 10:995-1008. 2008b>Bupropion is an effective anti-smoking agent in humans, but the behavioral mechanisms mediating this effect are unclear...
- Bupropion SR worsens mood during marijuana withdrawal in humansM Haney
Division on Substance Abuse, New York State Psychiatric Institute, College of Physicians and Surgeons of Columbia University, New York 10032, USA
Psychopharmacology (Berl) 155:171-9. 2001..Symptoms of withdrawal after daily marijuana smoking include increased ratings of irritability and depression. Similar mood symptoms are reported by cigarette smokers during nicotine abstinence...
- Pharmacokinetic interactions between cyclosporine and bupropion or methylphenidateB R Lewis
Nystrom and Associates, New Brighton, Minnesota 55112, USA
J Child Adolesc Psychopharmacol 11:193-8. 2001..had a potentially life-threatening decrease in his cyclosporine (CSA) blood levels during administration of bupropion. Subsequently he had an increase in CSA levels while receiving methylphenidate...
- Effect of clopidogrel and ticlopidine on cytochrome P450 2B6 activity as measured by bupropion hydroxylationMiia Turpeinen
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, University of Oulu, Oulu, Finland
Clin Pharmacol Ther 77:553-9. 2005Our objective was to study the effect of the antiplatelet agents clopidogrel and ticlopidine on bupropion (INN, amfebutamone) hydroxylation, a probe reaction for cytochrome P450 (CYP) 2B6 activity.
- Bupropion as add-on strategy in difficult-to-treat bipolar depressive patientsAndreas Erfurth
Department of Psychiatry, Munster University Hospital, Germany
Neuropsychobiology 45:33-6. 2002b>Bupropion, a selective norepinephrine and dopamine reuptake inhibitor, has been suggested for the treatment of bipolar depression, not only because of its efficacy, but also because of a probably lower risk of inducing switches to ..
- Incremental efficacy of adding bupropion to the nicotine patch for smoking cessation in smokers with a recent history of alcohol dependence: results from a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled studyDavid Kalman
Univeristy of Massachusetts School of Medicine, Worcester, MA 01655, USA
Drug Alcohol Depend 118:111-8. 2011..this study was to compare the efficacy of smoking cessation treatment using a combination of nicotine patch and bupropion vs. nicotine patch and placebo bupropion...
- Bupropion as the treatment of choice in depression associated with Parkinson's disease and it's various treatmentsSergey Raskin
The Jerusalem Mental Health Center, Kfar Shaul Hospital, Hebrew University Hadassah Medical School, Jerusalem, Israel
Med Hypotheses 75:544-6. 2010..Our hypothesis is to suggest NDRI - Bupropion - as the first line of treatment in PD patients with depression, in PD induced depression and/or in depression ..
- Bupropion and cognitive-behavioral treatment for depression in smoking cessationRichard A Brown
Brown Medical School, Department of Psychiatry and Human Behavior and Butler Hospital, Providence, RI 02906, USA
Nicotine Tob Res 9:721-30. 2007..trial examining the effects of an intensive cognitive-behavioral mood management treatment (CBTD) and of bupropion, both singularly and in combination, on smoking cessation in adult smokers...
- Sertraline and its metabolite desmethylsertraline, but not bupropion or its three major metabolites, have high affinity for P-glycoproteinJun Sheng Wang
Laboratory of Drug Disposition and Pharmacogenetics, Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciencesk, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, SC 29425, USA
Biol Pharm Bull 31:231-4. 2008..In the present study, the transport activity of P-gp for sertraline, desmethylsertraline, bupropion, and the major metabolites of bupropion, threo-amino alcohol (TB), erythro-amino alcohol (EB), and hydroxy ..
- Are nicotine replacement therapy, varenicline or bupropion options for pregnant mothers to quit smoking? Effects on the respiratory system of the offspringGert S Maritz
Department of Medical Biosciences, University of the Western Cape, Bellville, South Africa
Ther Adv Respir Dis 3:193-210. 2009..A more appropriate smoking cessation program will also include a mixture of antioxidant nutrients such as in tomato juice...
- Acute myocardial infarction following bupropion (Zyban)R N Patterson
QJM 95:58-9. 2002
- Bupropion and restless legs syndrome: a randomized controlled trialMax Bayard
Department of Family Medicine, East Tennessee State University, Johnson City Family Practice, 917 W Walnut, Johnson City, TN 37604, USA
J Am Board Fam Med 24:422-8. 2011..Most antidepressants exacerbate symptoms; however, correlational studies have noted symptom improvement with bupropion. The purpose of the current study was to examine whether, in a controlled study, bupropion would improve the ..
- Gender differences in smoking cessation in a placebo-controlled trial of bupropion with behavioral counselingBradley N Collins
University of Pennsylvania, Tabacco Research Center, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Nicotine Tob Res 6:27-37. 2004..In the present study, we hypothesized that bupropion would reduce this gender disparity among 314 women and 241 men enrolled in a placebo-controlled, randomized ..
- Bupropion for Blau syndromeEric Lewin Altschuler
Department of Psychiatry, University of Vermont, 2 Church Street, Burlington, VT 05401, USA
Med Hypotheses 62:297-8. 2004..We are not aware of any cure or specific treatment for BS. We have found that bupropion is effective for CD, and we now suggest that bupropion be considered for treatment of BS.
- Crossreactivity of bupropion metabolite with enzyme-linked immunosorbent assays designed to detect amphetamine in urineLisa Reidy
University of Miami Miller School of Medicine, Forensic Toxicology Laboratory, Miami, FL 33177, USA
Ther Drug Monit 33:366-8. 2011..This article seeks to determine if bupropion and/or its metabolites is resulting in false-positive amphetamine screening results in our case samples using ..
- A preliminary trial: double-blind comparison of nefazodone, bupropion-SR, and placebo in the treatment of cannabis dependenceKenneth M Carpenter
Division on Substance Abuse, New York State Psychiatric Institute, New York, USA
Am J Addict 18:53-64. 2009The present study investigated the efficacy of nefazodone and bupropion-sustained release for treating cannabis dependence...
- Brain Nicotine Receptor Density &Response to Nicotine PatchArthur Brody; Fiscal Year: 2013..therapies (such as the patch, gum, lozenge, nasal spray, and inhaler), varenicline HCl (Chantix), and bupropion HCl (Zyban), with the current standard of care in most treatment settings being to choose specific medications ..
- Developing Novel Dual CRF-R1/Orexin-1 Receptor Antagonists for Tobacco DependenceBelew Mekonnen; Fiscal Year: 2011..The majority of current therapies for smoking cessation such as nicotine replacement therapy, bupropion and varenicline target the positive reinforcement or the pleasurable effects of nicotine...
- Persistent Attenuation of Cocaine-Reinforced BehaviorKENNETH W GRASING; Fiscal Year: 2013..with combinations of clinically available agents which activate these receptors, such as rivastigmine and bupropion. Because of the large and long-lasting reductions of cocaine-reinforced behavior in animals exhibiting PA, it ..
- Comparative Effectiveness of Post-Discharge Strategies for Hospitalized SmokersNancy A Rigotti; Fiscal Year: 2013..with 2 components: (1) Free Medication: A 30- day supply of FDA-approved medication (nicotine replacement, bupropion, or varenicline) given at hospital discharge and refillable free for a total of 90 days to facilitate medication ..
- Dopamine Transporter Cell Surface DynamicsHaley E Melikian; Fiscal Year: 2013..such as amphetamine, cocaine and methylphenidate (Ritalin) as well as for antidepressants, such as bupropion (Wellbutrin)...
- Bupropion for Depression in ESRD Patients on HemodialysisPedro L Delgado; Fiscal Year: 2013..b>Bupropion is an antidepressant that does not affect serotonin bur rather blocks the reuptake of norepinephrine and ..
- Culturally-Tailored Smoking Cessation for American IndiansWon S Choi; Fiscal Year: 2013..All participants in the proposed study will be offered pharmacotherapy (e.g. Varenicline or Bupropion or NRT) then randomized into either the culturally-tailored "All Nations Breath of Life" program (ANBL) or Non- ..
- CSF Neuropeptide, Hormonal and Metabolomic Analysis in Human Energy BalanceSharon L Wardlaw; Fiscal Year: 2013..Finally, there is evidence that the new weight loss drug combination of bupropion plus naltrexone stimulates the melanocortin pathway in animals...
- Drug Discovery Group for Nicotine Dependence TreatmentMaurizio Fava; Fiscal Year: 2010..trials to test the efficacy of the most promising two compounds for smoking cessation, compared with placebo and bupropion and 4) use in vivo neuroimaging to identify surrogate markers for treatment response and relapse in humans...
- Microneedle-enhanced codrug delivery for smoking cessation and appetite suppressiAudra L Stinchcomb; Fiscal Year: 2013..b>Bupropion is considered a first-line treatment for smoking cessation, but the efficacy of this drug is relatively low...
- Bupropion for smoking cessation during pregnancyTatiana Nanovskaya; Fiscal Year: 2013..is to provide preclinical and clinical information on the bio- disposition, efficacy, and safety of bupropion sustained release (SR) as an aid for smoking cessation in pregnant women...
- Phosphorylation and Regulation of Dopamine TransportersRoxanne A Vaughan; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Non-Tropane Irreversible Dopamine Transporter LigandsDAVID JOHN LAPINSKY; Fiscal Year: 2010..g., benztropine, methylphenidate, bupropion) and abused (e.g., cocaine, amphetamine) compounds...
- Predictive Smoking Cessation Preclinical BatteryDaniela Brunner; Fiscal Year: 2012..Although there are two first-line (varenicline and bupropion) and two second-line (clonidine and notriptyline) approved medications for smoking cessation that significantly ..
- Behavioral Smoking Cessation Treatment for People Living with HIV/AIDSDavid M Ledgerwood; Fiscal Year: 2013..All participants will receive bupropion treatment for 12 weeks...
- CYP2B6 genetic variations and drug interactionsZeruesenay Desta; Fiscal Year: 2013..In vivo enzyme activity will be determined using bupropion as a probe at baseline (control), with a single 600 mg oral dose (inhibition) and after multiple doses (600 mg/..
- USEABILITY TESTING OF A WEB-BASED TOOL TO HELP SMOKERS SELECT CESSATION AIDSAmy McQueen; Fiscal Year: 2013..nicotine replacement products (gum, lozenges, patch, nasal spray, and inhaler) and non-nicotine medications (bupropion, varenicline) which can be used alone or in combination...
- Development of rat models of the effort-related symptoms of depressionJohn D Salamone; Fiscal Year: 2013..the effects of a novel treatment strategy for depression (adenosine A2A antagonists) and two well known drugs (bupropion and fluoxetine), using behavioral models of effort-related function...
- Pharmacological interventions to diminish nicotine associated respondingRick A Bevins; Fiscal Year: 2013..This "transfer of extinction" has been seen with varenicline (the smoking cessation aid Chantix(R)), bupropion (the smoking cessation aid Zyban(R)), and nornicotine (a potential smoking cessation aid that is a metabolite of ..
- Nicotine dependence: neuropharmacology in monkeysLance R McMahon; Fiscal Year: 2013..for smoking cessation including nicotine (patch and gum), varenicline (low efficacy nicotine agonist), and bupropion (catecholamine reuptake inhibitor and nicotine antagonist)...
- Pharmacogenomic Analysis of Nicotine DependenceJILL R ORTINSKI TURNER; Fiscal Year: 2013..approved by the FDA to treat nicotine addiction, a clinical study evaluating two of these drugs, varenicline and bupropion, showed that at least 80% of the treatment group participants relapsed within one year (Gonzales, et al., 2006)...
- Implementation of HIT-Enhanced Tobacco Treatment for Hospitalized SmokersSteven L Bernstein; Fiscal Year: 2013..in the ITOS arm will access an electronic order set that includes: (1) medication orders for varenicline, bupropion and nicotine replacement therapy;(2) a fax automatically sent to the patient's primary care provider, ..
- Effectiveness of Varenicline vs. Varenicline plus Bupropion for Smoking CessationPAUL MICHAEL CINCIRIPINI; Fiscal Year: 2013..the pharmacological treatment of nicotine dependence has been established for nicotine replacement therapies, bupropion and most recently, varenicline...
- Randomized Trial of Ibudilast for Methamphetamine DependenceKEITH GREGORY HEINZERLING; Fiscal Year: 2012..If unanticipated events preclude advancing IBUD into phase II testing in time for this study, the bupropion-naltrexone combination formulation undergoing phase 1 testing in Project 1 of this proposal will be advanced to ..
- Neurobiology and Adverse Outcomes of Neuroticism in Late-life DepressionDavid C Steffens; Fiscal Year: 2013..treatment for up to 24 weeks with a standardized two-step intervention using citalopram followed by either bupropion augmentation or desvenlafaxine...
- Varenicline Treatment for Smoking Cessation in Patients with Bipolar DisorderKADIAMADA NANAIAH ROY CHENGAPPA; Fiscal Year: 2010..for smoking in this heavily dependent subpopulation that may be superior to the other approved medications of bupropion and nicotine replacement...
- Pharmacotherapy &CM for Opioid and Cocaine DependenceMehmet Sofuoglu; Fiscal Year: 2012..In a second study, the subjects in a CM+bupropion condition attained significantly fewer cocaine positive urines over time than those in a CM+Placebo, VC+..
- Development of Bupropion for Smoking Cessation During PregnancyTatiana Nanovskaya; Fiscal Year: 2011..by applicant): The goal of this investigation is to provide the information needed to determine the potential of bupropion for pharmacotherapy of the pregnant smoker...
- Medication development of a novel therapeutic for smoking cessationKENNETH ALAN PERKINS; Fiscal Year: 2013..cessation over the last three decades, only 3 have been approved by the FDA (nicotine replacement, varenicline, bupropion)...
- A Randomized Controlled Trial of Varenicline for Adolescent Smoking CessationKevin M Gray; Fiscal Year: 2013..These trials of nicotine replacement therapy and bupropion SR have produced mixed but generally encouraging results...
- Biosignatures of Treatment Remission in Major DepressionMyrna M Weissman; Fiscal Year: 2013..Patients then will be randomized in a doublemasked fashion to bupropion or escitalopram, two of the most commonly prescribed treatments for depression, with putatively distinct ..
- Reducing the Symptom Burden Produced by Aggressive Cancer TherapiesCharles S Cleeland; Fiscal Year: 2013..a precursor molecule for inflammation), inhibitors of inflammatory cytokines, and an antidepressant (bupropion) that also has inflammatory action...
- Pilot Trial of Bupropion versus Placebo for Methamphetamine Abuse in AdolescentsKEITH GREGORY HEINZERLING; Fiscal Year: 2010..for MA abuse available, although results from two preliminary randomized placebo-controlled trials of bupropion for MA dependent adults found bupropion to be more effective than placebo, but only among participants who ..
- Integrated Smoking Cessation Treatment for Low Income Community CorrectionsKaren L Cropsey; Fiscal Year: 2013..This study proposes to examine using bupropion as the platform to examine two different behavioral interventions for smoking cessation with this low income, ..
- Varenicline and Smoking Cessation in SchizophreniaSEYYED HOSSEIN FATEMI; Fiscal Year: 2010..The smoking cessation agent bupropion HCl has been tested in schizophrenics, but the results on its efficacy are inconclusive...
- Combination Therapy with Varenicline and Bupropion for Smoking CessationJon O Ebbert; Fiscal Year: 2012..S. cancer deaths. Varenicline and bupropion SR (sustained-release) are non nicotine pharmacotherapies FDA-indicated for the treatment of tobacco dependence ..
- Development of Pharmacotherapies for Nicotine AddictionFrank Carroll; Fiscal Year: 2009..Other than nicotine replacement therapy (NRT), bupropion is the only FDA-approved treatment for smoking cessation...
- A Novel Anti Obesity Drug Combination as a Pharmacotherapy for Cocaine DependenceCraig R Rush; Fiscal Year: 2012..The obesity epidemic has spurred development of medications to promote weight loss. A combination of bupropion (BUP) and naltrexone (NTX) is effective for obesity...
- Establishing Moderators/Biosignatures of Antidepressant Response- Clinical CareMadhukar H Trivedi; Fiscal Year: 2013..We propose a comparative effectiveness trial of three mechanistically distinct treatments for MDD (citalopram, bupropion, and cognitive behavioral therapy) in which we will assess a comprehensive array of carefully selected clinical (..
- Optimal Smoking Cessation Treatment in PTSDJean C Beckham; Fiscal Year: 2012..her VA Merit review award, apply for a new VA Merit review award, complete an investigator- initiated trial of bupropion for PTSD symptoms and smoking cessation in PTSD smokers and undertake an externally funded public health ..
- Bupropion for ADHD in Adolescents with Substance Use DisordersPAULA DEGRAFFENREID RIGGS; Fiscal Year: 2012..The application proposes a randomized, placebo-controlled trial of bupropion + cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) to evaluate the efficacy of this combined therapy for attention deficit ..
- Combination Pharmacotherapy for Nicotine DependenceMarc E Mooney; Fiscal Year: 2010..He will conduct a clinical and laboratory trial evaluating the joint effectiveness of bupropion and naltrexone for smoking cessation...
- Extended Treatment for Smoking CessationSean P David; Fiscal Year: 2013..Open Label Treatment. All 400 smokers will receive nicotine patch (21mg), bupropion (300mg) and individualized cognitive and behavioral skills training (ST)...
- Behavioral ERP and EEG Asymmetry in Affective DisordersGerard E Bruder; Fiscal Year: 2012..response to the SSRI escitalopram (ESC) as opposed to the noradrenaline/dopamine reuptake inhibitor (NDRI) bupropion (BUP)...
- Optimizing Smoking Interventions with Dynamic Modeling and Control EngineeringKevin P Timms; Fiscal Year: 2013..at frequent intervals over time, collected in a University of Wisconsin smoking cessation clinical trial of bupropion SR and counseling (Collins et al., 2006;McCarthy et al., 2008a)...
- Bupropion-Enhanced CM for Cocaine DependenceMaxine L Stitzer; Fiscal Year: 2013..This project will examine effects of bupropion on initiation and maintenance of cocaine abstinence in a population of cocaine dependent methadone maintenance ..
- Treatment of Complex Patients: Emphasis on NicotineSharon M Hall; Fiscal Year: 2012..proposed, I am completing two major clinical trials: (1) a study of extended behavioral relapse prevention and bupropion treatment for chronic smokers (N=407);(2) a study of extended, age-specific relapse prevention and nicotine ..
- Internet-based Medication Adherence Program for Nicotine Dependence TreatmentJENNIFER B MC CLURE; Fiscal Year: 2013..the proposed intervention strategy proves promising, iMAP will be expanded to support nicotine replacement and bupropion use in the future...
- BIOEQUIVALENCE AND CLINICAL IMPLICATIONS OF GENERIC BUPROPIONEvan D Kharasch; Fiscal Year: 2013PROJECT SUMMARY/ABTRACT Ever since the introduction of a generic version in 2006, the antidepressant bupropion XL (300mg extended release) has been plagued with reports of therapeutic inefficacy and increased adverse events...
- Time-Frequency Measures for Predicting Response to AntidepressantsCraig E Tenke; Fiscal Year: 2012..measures for predicting clinical response to an SSRI antidepressant (escitalopram), an NDRI antidepressant (bupropion), or a combination of these treatments...
- Varenicline and Motivational Advice for Smokers with SUDDamaris J Rohsenow; Fiscal Year: 2012..receptors, has been found to produce higher rates of short and long-term abstinence for smokers in general than bupropion or placebo...
- COCAINE PHARMACOTHERAPIES FOR COMORBID POPULATIONSThomas Kosten; Fiscal Year: 2003..Trials 1 and 2 are "Bupropion & sertraline for depression and cocaine dependence" including 60 patients each in randomized, placebo ..
- Pharmacogenomics and Medication Development for Methamphetamine DependenceKEITH GREGORY HEINZERLING; Fiscal Year: 2012..and two important clinical phenotypes of MA dependence, baseline frequency of MA use and treatment response to bupropion, using genotypic and phenotypic data from approximately 600 MA dependent participants undergoing screening for ..
- IGF::OT::IGF: FY13: "Phenotypic Screening of Smoking Cessation Drugs," N43DA-13-7Xinmin Simon Xie; Fiscal Year: 2013..Objective 2- Phenotypically profile four FDA approved smoking cessation drugs (varenicline, bupropion, clonidine and nortriptyline, each tested at three doses) and two controls (positive drug at an appropriate dose ..
- EFFECT OF SRIs ON GONADAL STEROIDSMargaret Altemus; Fiscal Year: 2006..on the gonadal steroid precursor hormone 17a-OH pregnenolone will be compared to the effect of a non-SRI, bupropion, in healthy volunteer women...
- Selegiline for Smoking CessationMARC POTENZA; Fiscal Year: 2007Despite the utility of nicotine replacement therapies and sustained-release bupropion for the treatment of nicotine dependence, there is still a significant proportion of cigarette smokers who are unable to quit smoking, and thus new and ..
- Individual differences in relapse to nicotineCeylan Isgor; Fiscal Year: 2009..potential for the CB1 receptor antagonist AM251 will be compared to an FDA-approved smoking cessation agent bupropion and a mainstream 5HT1A receptor antagonist WAY 100635...
- Acceptability of pharmacologic treatment for methamphetamine dependence among MSMGrant Colfax; Fiscal Year: 2006..In this pilot study, we will provide meth- dependent MSM with placebo or daily bupropion XL (extended-release), a well-tolerated dopamine agonist that has potential to reduce meth use...
- Placebo Controlled RCT of Bupropion for Binge EatingMarney A White; Fiscal Year: 2010..One of the studies proposed in the K23 is a placebo-controlled randomized clinical trial of bupropion for the treatment of overweight women with binge eating disorder (BED)...
- PREVENTION OF CIGARETTE SMOKING IN ADHD YOUTHJoseph Biederman; Fiscal Year: 2001..Our second aim is to complete a double-blind clinical trial of bupropion for the prevention of smoking in high-risk ADHD adolescents...
- Bupropion for Smoking Cessation in PregnancyHugh Miller; Fiscal Year: 2004..The specific aims include evaluating bupropion SR's efficacy for both cessation and reduction of antenatal smoking by comparing pregnant women receiving ..
- Bupropion to Prevent Postpartum Smoking RelapseMadeline Dalton; Fiscal Year: 2004..application we propose to conduct pilot work that will lay the foundation for a randomized clinical trial of bupropion SR to prevent smoking relapse in postpartum women...
- EFFECTS OF DEPRESSION TREATMENT ON PLATELET ACTIVATIONLELLAND TOLBERT; Fiscal Year: 2002..trial of sertraline and (b) assessing the effects of another pharmacologic treatment for depression (bupropion) on PA...
- SEROTONERGIC MECHANISMS IN SLEEP AND DEPRESSIONJOHN GILLIN; Fiscal Year: 2000..with Major Depressive Disorder before and during double-blind antidepressant treatment with either sertraline or bupropion, and (c) nonaffected individuals who are at high genetic risk for the development of a mood disorder...