Genomes and Genes
Summary: A synthetic opioid that is used as the hydrochloride. It is an opioid analgesic that is primarily a mu-opioid agonist. It has actions and uses similar to those of MORPHINE. It also has a depressant action on the cough center and may be given to control intractable cough associated with terminal lung cancer. Methadone is also used as part of the treatment of dependence on opioid drugs, although prolonged use of methadone itself may result in dependence. (From Martindale, The Extra Pharmacopoeia, 30th ed, p1082-3)
Publications376 found, 100 shown here
- HIV and HCV prevalence among entrants to methadone maintenance treatment clinics in China: a systematic review and meta-analysisXun Zhuang
School of Public Health, Nantong University, Jiangsu Province, China
BMC Infect Dis 12:130. 2012b>Methadone maintenance treatment (MMT) was implemented in China since 2004. It was initiated in 8 pilot clinics and subsequently expanded to 738 clinics by the end of 2011...
- Scaling up the national methadone maintenance treatment program in China: achievements and challengesWenyuan Yin
Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention, Beijing, China
Int J Epidemiol 39:ii29-37. 2010China's methadone maintenance treatment program was initiated in 2004 as a small pilot project in just eight sites...
- Treatment and care for injecting drug users with HIV infection: a review of barriers and ways forwardDaniel Wolfe
Open Society Institute, International Harm Reduction Development Program, New York, NY 10019, USA
Lancet 376:355-66. 2010....
- Full participation in harm reduction programmes is associated with decreased risk for human immunodeficiency virus and hepatitis C virus: evidence from the Amsterdam Cohort Studies among drug usersCharlotte Van Den Berg
Department of Human Retrovirology, Center for Infection and Immunity Amsterdam, Academic Medical Center, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Addiction 102:1454-62. 2007..To investigate the impact of harm-reduction programmes on HIV and hepatitis C virus (HCV) incidence among ever-injecting drug users (DU) from the Amsterdam Cohort Studies (ACS)...
- Impact of genetic polymorphisms in ABCB1, CYP2B6, OPRM1, ANKK1 and DRD2 genes on methadone therapy in Han Chinese patientsChin Chuan Hung
Department of Pharmacy, College of Pharmacy, China Medical University, Taichung, Taiwan
Pharmacogenomics 12:1525-33. 2011The present study explored the integrative effect of genes encoding methadone pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic pathways on methadone maintenance doses in Han Chinese Patients.
- The efficacy of methadone maintenance interventions in reducing illicit opiate use, HIV risk behavior and criminality: a meta-analysisL A Marsch
Towson State University, Department of Psychology, Maryland, USA
Addiction 93:515-32. 1998..the efficacy of psychopharmacological interventions in opiate substance abuse, the present study employed meta-analytic statistical procedures to determine the effectiveness of methadone hydrochloride as a pharmacotherapeutic agent.
- Changes in drug use are associated with health-related quality of life improvements among methadone maintenance patients with HIV/AIDSBach Xuan Tran
Department of Public Health Sciences, School of Public Health, University of Alberta, 8303, 112 Street, Edmonton, AB, T6G 2T4, Canada
Qual Life Res 21:613-23. 2012This longitudinal study assessed the changes in drug use patterns and health-related quality of life (HRQL) among HIV-positive drug users in the first methadone maintenance treatment (MMT) cohort in Vietnam.
- Contribution of cytochrome P450 and ABCB1 genetic variability on methadone pharmacokinetics, dose requirements, and responseFrancina Fonseca
Institut de Neuropsiquiatria i Addiccions Parc de Salut Mar, Barcelona, Spain
PLoS ONE 6:e19527. 2011Although the efficacy of methadone maintenance treatment (MMT) in opioid dependence disorder has been well established, the influence of methadone pharmacokinetics in dose requirement and clinical outcome remains controversial...
- HCV and HIV infection among heroin addicts in methadone maintenance treatment (MMT) and not in MMT in Changsha and Wuhan, ChinaXuyi Wang
Mental Health Institute of the Second Xiangya Hospital, Central South University, Changsha, Hunan Province, China
PLoS ONE 7:e45632. 2012..To compare HCV and HIV infection among heroin addicts in MMT and not in MMT in two large cities in central China...
- CYP2B6 polymorphisms influence the plasma concentration and clearance of the methadone S-enantiomerSheng Chang Wang
Division of Mental Health and Addiction Medicine, Institute of Population Health Sciences, National Health Research Institutes, Zhunan, Miaoli County, Taiwan
J Clin Psychopharmacol 31:463-9. 2011b>Methadone is a racemic compound composed of the R-form and S-form enantiomers. The drug is usually used in maintenance therapy for the heroin-addicted patients...
- Predictors of retention in community-based methadone maintenance treatment program in Pearl River Delta, ChinaFang Yang
Institute for AIDS Prevention and Control, Center for Disease Control and Prevention of Guangdong Province, 176 Xin gang road west, Guangzhou, 510300, China
Harm Reduct J 10:3. 2013The aims were to identify predictors of treatment retention in methadone maintenance treatment (MMT) clinics in Pearl River Delta, China.
- Change in quality of life and its predictors in heroin users receiving methadone maintenance treatment in Taiwan: an 18-month follow-up studyPeng Wei Wang
Department of Psychiatry, Kaohsiung Medical University Hospital, Taiwan
Am J Drug Alcohol Abuse 38:213-9. 2012..Therefore, it is of clinical benefit to examine what factors can predict a change in QOL among heroin users in the course of a methadone maintenance treatment (MMT) program.
- Voucher reinforcement improves medication adherence in HIV-positive methadone patients: a randomized trialJames L Sorensen
Department of Psychiatry, University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco General Hospital, Building 20, Ward 21, 1001 Potrero Avenue, Box 0852, San Francisco, CA 94110, USA
Drug Alcohol Depend 88:54-63. 2007..evaluated a contingency management intervention designed to improve medication adherence among HIV-positive methadone maintenance patients...
- Prevalence of diversion and injection of methadone and buprenorphine among clients receiving opioid treatment at community pharmacies in New South Wales, AustraliaAdam R Winstock
Sydney South West Area Health Service, Drug Health Services, Locked Bag 4002, Ashfield, NSW 2131, Australia
Int J Drug Policy 19:450-8. 2008This study aimed to investigate the prevalence of diversion and injection of methadone and buprenorphine among clients receiving opioid pharmacotherapy treatment at community pharmacies in New South Wales (NSW), Australia.
- Cost-effectiveness of methadone maintenance treatment for HIV-positive drug users in VietnamBach Xuan Tran
School of Public Health, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Canada
AIDS Care 24:283-90. 2012b>Methadone maintenance treatment (MMT) is efficacious in reducing drug use that may improve HIV/AIDS care and treatment outcomes...
- Genetic polymorphisms in CYP3A4 are associated with withdrawal symptoms and adverse reactions in methadone maintenance patientsChia Hui Chen
Division of Mental Health and Addiction Medicine, Institute of Population Health Sciences, National Health Research Institutes, Zhunan, Miaoli County, Taiwan
Pharmacogenomics 12:1397-406. 2011b>Methadone maintenance therapy is one of the standard treatments for heroin addiction. The isozyme CYP3A4 of the CYP system is one of the metabolic enzymes, as well as CYP2B6, responsible for the metabolism of methadone...
- Successful treatment of chronic hepatitis C with pegylated interferon in combination with ribavirin in a methadone maintenance treatment programAlain H Litwin
Division of General Internal Medicine, Department of Medicine, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Montefiore Medical Center, Bronx, New York 10467, USA
J Subst Abuse Treat 37:32-40. 2009..60% of the more than 4 million people in the United States with hepatitis C virus (HCV), including many methadone maintenance patients...
- Predictors of retention in methadone programs: a signal detection analysisSteven W Villafranca
Center for Health Care Evaluation, Veterans Affairs Palo Alto Health Care System and Stanford University School of Medicine, CA, USA
Drug Alcohol Depend 83:218-24. 2006..Participants include 258 veterans enrolled in 8 outpatient methadone/l-alpha-acetylmethadol (LAAM) treatment programs...
- ABCB1 genetic variability and methadone dosage requirements in opioid-dependent individualsJanet K Coller
Discipline of Pharmacology, School of Medical Sciences, The University of Adelaide, and Department of Clinical Pharmacology, Royal Adelaide Hospital, SA, Australia
Clin Pharmacol Ther 80:682-90. 2006The most common treatment for opioid dependence is substitution therapy with another opioid such as methadone. The methadone dosage is individualized but highly variable, and program retention rates are low due in part to nonoptimal ..
- Interindividual variability of methadone response: impact of genetic polymorphismYongfang Li
Department of Clinical Pharmacology and Toxicology, University Hospital Besançon, Besancon, France
Mol Diagn Ther 12:109-24. 2008b>Methadone, an opioid analgesic, is used clinically in pain therapy as well as for substitution therapy in opioid addiction. It has a large interindividual variability in response and a narrow therapeutic index...
- Diacetylmorphine versus methadone for the treatment of opioid addictionEugenia Oviedo-Joekes
School of Population and Public Health, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC, Canada
N Engl J Med 361:777-86. 2009..Studies in Europe have suggested that injectable diacetylmorphine, the active ingredient in heroin, can be an effective adjunctive treatment for chronic, relapsing opioid dependence...
- The impact of methadone or buprenorphine treatment and ongoing injection on highly active antiretroviral therapy (HAART) adherence: evidence from the MANIF2000 cohort studyPerrine Roux
INSERM U912 SE4S, Marseille, France
Addiction 103:1828-36. 2008To date, no data exist assessing the impact of either methadone or buprenorphine on adherence to highly active antiretroviral therapy (HAART) in the long term...
- Mortality among clients of a state-wide opioid pharmacotherapy program over 20 years: risk factors and lives savedLouisa Degenhardt
National Drug and Alcohol Research Centre, University of NSW, Sydney, NSW 2052, Australia
Drug Alcohol Depend 105:9-15. 2009..The current study examines reductions in mortality related to treatment in an entire treatment population...
- Methadone and buprenorphine for the management of opioid dependence: a systematic review and economic evaluationM Connock
Department of Public Health and Epidemiology, University of Birmingham, UK
Health Technol Assess 11:1-171, iii-iv. 2007To assess the clinical effectiveness and cost-effectiveness of buprenorphine maintenance therapy (BMT) and methadone maintenance therapy (MMT) for the management of opioid-dependent individuals.
- Functional impact of ABCB1 variants on interactions between P-glycoprotein and methadoneChin Chuan Hung
Department of Pharmacy, College of Pharmacy, China Medical University, Taichung, Taiwan
PLoS ONE 8:e59419. 2013b>Methadone is a widely used substitution therapy for opioid addiction. Large inter-individual variability has been observed in methadone maintenance dosages and P-glycoprotein (P-gp) was considered to be one of the major contributors...
- A qualitative inquiry into methadone maintenance treatment for opioid-dependent prisoners in Tehran, IranSaman Zamani
Department of Global Health and Socio Epidemiology, Kyoto University School of Public Health, Kyoto 606 8501, Japan
Int J Drug Policy 21:167-72. 2010This study aimed to investigate the context in which methadone maintenance treatment (MMT) is provided for opioid-dependent prisoners, and to identify barriers against further scale-up of MMT in Ghezel Hesar prison in Tehran.
- Effect of incentives for medication adherence on health care use and costs in methadone patients with HIVPaul G Barnett
Veterans Affairs Health Economics Resource Center, 795 Willow Rd 152 MPD, VA Palo Alto Health Care System, Menlo Park, CA 94025, USA
Drug Alcohol Depend 100:115-21. 2009..The potential benefits of anti-retroviral therapy for HIV is not fully realized because of difficulties in adherence with demanding treatment regimens, especially among injection drug users...
- Variable modulation of opioid brain uptake by P-glycoprotein in miceClaude Dagenais
Drug Metabolism and Pharmacokinetics, AstraZeneca Pharmaceuticals LP, 1800 Concord Pike, LW258, Wilmington, DE 19850, USA
Biochem Pharmacol 67:269-76. 2004..The brain uptake of opioids selective for the mu (fentanyl, loperamide, meperidine, methadone, and morphine), delta (deltorphin II, DPDPE, naltrindole, SNC 121) and kappa (bremazocine and U-69593) receptor ..
- Patterns of drug use and HIV-related risk behaviors among incarcerated people in a prison in IranSaman Zamani
Department of Global Health and Socio Epidemiology, Kyoto University School of Public Health, Kyoto, Japan
J Urban Health 87:603-16. 2010..In response, several prevention interventions have been introduced into prisons in Iran, such as methadone maintenance treatment (MMT)...
- Methadone maintenance dosing guideline for opioid dependence, a literature reviewAyman Fareed
Department of Psychiatry, Emory University, School of Medicine, Decatur, GA 30033, USA
J Addict Dis 29:1-14. 2010To date, methadone dosing is still an issue of debate and controversy among clinicians who are involved in methadone maintenance programs...
- Buprenorphine and methadone treatment of opiate dependence during pregnancy: comparison of fetal growth and neonatal outcomes in two consecutive case seriesJohan Kakko
Department of Clinical Neuroscience, Karolinska Institute, Stockholm, Sweden
Drug Alcohol Depend 96:69-78. 2008To compare the effects of fetal buprenorphine and methadone exposure during maintenance treatment of pregnant heroin dependent subjects.
- Why don't out-of-treatment individuals enter methadone treatment programmes?James A Peterson
Friends Research Institute Inc, Social Research Center, Baltimore, MD 21201, USA
Int J Drug Policy 21:36-42. 2010Despite the proven effectiveness of methadone treatment, the majority of heroin-dependent individuals are out-of-treatment.
- Scaling up methadone maintenance treatment for opioid-dependent prisoners in IranMarziyeh Farnia
The Iran Prison Organisation, Tehran, Iran
Int J Drug Policy 21:422-4. 2010..In response, several prevention interventions including methadone maintenance treatment (MMT) have been introduced into prisons in Iran.
- White matter impairment in heroin addicts undergoing methadone maintenance treatment and prolonged abstinence: a preliminary DTI studyYarong Wang
Department of Radiology, Tangdu Hospital, The Fourth Military Medical University, 1 Xinsi Road, Baqiao District, Xi an 710038, China
Neurosci Lett 494:49-53. 2011b>Methadone maintenance treatment (MMT) might cause the impairments of neuropsychological and neurotransmitter function in opioid addicts...
- Relationship between drug abuse and intimate partner violence: a longitudinal study among women receiving methadoneNabila El-Bassel
DSW, Social Intervention Group, Columbia University School of Social Work, 1255 Amsterdam Avenue, New York, NY 10025, USA
Am J Public Health 95:465-70. 2005..We examined whether frequent drug use increases the likelihood of subsequent sexual or physical intimate partner violence (IPV) and whether IPV increases the likelihood of subsequent frequent drug use...
- Response inhibition and psychomotor speed during methadone maintenance: impact of treatment duration, dose, and sleep deprivationB K Bracken
Behavioral Psychopharmacology Research Lab, McLean Hospital, 115 Mill Street, Belmont, MA 02478, USA
Drug Alcohol Depend 125:132-9. 2012..In opiate-dependent individuals, abstinence results in deficits in cognitive functioning, which may be exacerbated by medication-associated sleep disruption...
- Factors associated with methadone treatment among injection drug users in Bangkok, ThailandNadia Fairbairn
Urban Health Research Initiative, British Columbia Centre for Excellence in HIV AIDS, St Paul s Hospital, 608 1081 Burrard Street, Vancouver, BC, Canada V6Z 1Y6
J Subst Abuse Treat 43:108-13. 2012Little is known about the characteristics of injection drug users (IDU) who take methadone treatment in Thailand. We examined prevalence and correlates of methadone treatment among a community-recruited sample of IDU in Bangkok, Thailand...
- Economic evaluation of methadone maintenance treatment in HIV/AIDS control among injecting drug users in Dehong, ChinaYan Xing
Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, School of Public Health, Peking University, Beijing, China
AIDS Care 24:756-62. 2012The purpose of this study was to analyze the cost and cost-effectiveness of methadone maintenance treatment (MMT) program in Dehong prefecture, Yunnan province, China...
- Gender differences at admission and follow-up in a sample of methadone maintenance clientsL R Chatham
Institute of Behavioral Research, Texas Christian University, Fort Worth 76129, USA
Subst Use Misuse 34:1137-65. 1999Although one-third of clients enrolled in methadone treatment in the United States are female, few studies have looked at gender differences at admission and follow-up...
- Use of other opioids during methadone therapy: a population-based studyPaul Kurdyak
Institute for Clinical Evaluative Sciences, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Addiction 107:776-80. 2012To determine the extent to which other opioids are prescribed to patients receiving methadone in Ontario, Canada.
- Opiate users' perceived barriers against attending methadone maintenance therapy: a qualitative study in ChinaChunqing Lin
Semel Institute Center for Community Health, University of California, Los Angeles, California, USA
Subst Use Misuse 46:1190-8. 2011b>Methadone maintenance therapy (MMT) in China is facing challenges such as high relapse rates and low coverage. The study assessed factors influencing MMT utilization among opiate users...
- UGT2B7 genetic polymorphisms are associated with the withdrawal symptoms in methadone maintenance patientsJia Ni Tian
Division of Mental Health and Addiction Medicine, Institute of Population Health Sciences, National Health Research Institutes, 35 Keyan Road, Zhunan, Miaoli County 350, Taiwan
Pharmacogenomics 13:879-88. 2012To test whether the genetic polymorphisms within the gene encoding the UGT2B7 gene may have an impact on methadone treatment.
- Risk factors associated with HIV/HCV infection among entrants in methadone maintenance treatment clinics in China: a systematic review and meta-analysisXun Zhuang
School of Public Health, Nantong University, Nantong, 9 Seyuan Road, Nantong, Jiangsu Province 226019, China
Drug Alcohol Depend 126:286-95. 2012b>Methadone maintenance treatment (MMT) has rapidly expanded in China, from 8 pilot sites to 696 clinics covering 27 provinces, during 2004-2010...
- Methadone maintenance improves cognitive performance after two months of treatmentStaci A Gruber
Cognitive Neuroimaging Laboratory, McLean Hospital, Belmont, MA 02478, USA
Exp Clin Psychopharmacol 14:157-64. 2006b>Methadone maintenance (MM) has received little scientific attention regarding neurocognitive effects. The present study examined cognitive function in 17 opiate-dependent subjects at baseline and after 2 months of MM treatment...
- Methadone induction in primary care (ANRS-Methaville): a phase III randomized intervention trialPerrine Roux
INSERM U912 SESSTIM, Marseille, France
BMC Public Health 12:488. 2012..To date, patients willing to start methadone can only do so in a methadone clinic (a medical centre for drug and alcohol dependence (CSAPA) or a hospital ..
- Factors associated with mortality among heroin users after seeking treatment with methadone: a population-based cohort study in TaiwanCharles Lung Cheng Huang
Department of Psychiatry, Chi Mei Medical Center, Tainan, Taiwan
J Subst Abuse Treat 44:295-300. 2013Data concerning factors associated with mortality among heroin users under methadone maintenance treatment (MMT) in the Han Chinese population are limited...
- ABCB1 and cytochrome P450 genotypes and phenotypes: influence on methadone plasma levels and response to treatmentSeverine Crettol
Unite de Biochimie et Psychopharmacologie Clinique, Centre de Neurosciences Psychiatriques, Département de Psychiatrie Centre Hospitalier Universitaire Vaudois, Hôpital de Cery, Prilly Lausanne, Switzerland
Clin Pharmacol Ther 80:668-81. 2006The in vivo implication of various cytochrome P450 (CYP) isoforms and of P-glycoprotein on methadone kinetics is unclear. We aimed to thoroughly examine the genetic factors influencing methadone kinetics and response to treatment.
- A community-based evaluation of sudden death associated with therapeutic levels of methadoneSumeet S Chugh
Cardiac Arrhythmia Center, Division of Cardiovascular Medicine, Oregon Health and Science University, Portland 97239, USA
Am J Med 121:66-71. 2008Published case reports have associated the therapeutic use of methadone with the occasional occurrence of sudden cardiac death...
- Prenatal exposure to methadone and buprenorphine: a review of the potential effects on cognitive developmentCarolien Konijnenberg
Norwegian Centre for Addiction Research, Institute of Psychiatry, University of Oslo, Oslo, Norway
Child Neuropsychol 17:495-519. 2011..As a result, an increasing number of children are prenatally exposed to long-lasting opioids such as methadone and buprenorphine...
- Depression among heroin users: 12-Month outcomes from the Australian Treatment Outcome Study (ATOS)Alys Havard
National Drug and Alcohol Research Centre, University of New South Wales, Sydney NSW 2052, Australia
J Subst Abuse Treat 30:355-62. 2006..In comparison to those without depression, depressed individuals had less exposure to methadone/buprenorphine maintenance and residential rehabilitation for the follow-up period, but spent more time in ..
- The cost-effectiveness and budget impact of Vietnam's methadone maintenance treatment programme in HIV prevention and treatment among injection drug usersBach Xuan Tran
Department of Public Health Sciences, School of Public Health, University of Alberta, Edmonton, AB, Canada
Glob Public Health 7:1080-94. 2012We analysed the cost-effectiveness and budget impact of the methadone maintenance treatment (MMT) programme in HIV prevention and treatment among injection drug users (DUs) in Vietnam...
- Survival study of opioid addicts in relation to its adherence to methadone maintenance treatmentJavier Esteban
Division de Toxicologia, Instituto de Bioingenieri a, Edificio Vinalopó, Campus de Elche, Universidad Miguel Hernandez, Avda del Ferrocarril s n, Spain
Drug Alcohol Depend 70:193-200. 2003To study the putative role of methadone maintenance treatment in the improvement of life expectancy of opioid addicts.
- The effect of methadone maintenance on positive outcomes for opiate injection drug usersKaren F Corsi
Department of Psychiatry, University of Colorado Denver School of Medicine, Denver, CO, USA
J Subst Abuse Treat 37:120-6. 2009This study examined outcome variables for 160 opiate injection drug users (IDUs) who entered methadone maintenance between baseline and 6-month follow-up...
- Drug interactions of clinical importance among the opioids, methadone and buprenorphine, and other frequently prescribed medications: a reviewElinore F McCance-Katz
Department of Psychiatry, University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, California, USA
Am J Addict 19:4-16. 2010Drug interactions are a leading cause of morbidity and mortality. Methadone and buprenorphine are frequently prescribed for the treatment of opioid addiction...
- Family support, quality of life and concurrent substance use among methadone maintenance therapy clients in ChinaC Lin
Centre for Health Behaviours Research, School of Public Health and Primary Care, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Shatin, NT, Hong Kong, China
Public Health 125:269-74. 2011The methadone maintenance therapy (MMT) programme has been scaled up rapidly in China. This study explored the family support perceived by MMT clients and its association with their quality of life and concurrent illicit drug use.
- Methadone maintenance vs. methadone taper during pregnancy: maternal and neonatal outcomesHendree E Jones
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Am J Addict 17:372-86. 2008This study compared five groups of participants: those receiving either three-day methadone-assisted withdrawal (MAW) alone (n = 67), three-day MAW followed by methadone maintenance (MM) (n = 8), seven-day MAW alone (n = 28), seven-day ..
- Provision of methadone treatment in primary care medical practices: review of the Scottish experience and implications for US policyM Weinrich
Department of Neurology, University of Maryland, Baltimore, USA
JAMA 283:1343-8. 2000Under new proposed regulations, US physicians outside of traditional methadone clinics could prescribe methadone to patients with opioid dependence...
- Smoking cessation in methadone maintenanceSteve Shoptaw
Friends Research Institute, Los Angeles, CA, UCLA, Department of Psychiatry, Los Angeles, CA 90025, USA
Addiction 97:1317-28; discussion 1325. 2002To evaluate relapse prevention (relapse prevention) and contingency management (contingency management) for optimizing smoking cessation outcomes using nicotine replacement therapy for methadone-maintained tobacco smokers.
- Hepatitis C and human immunodeficiency virus risk behaviors in polydrug users on methadone maintenanceJessica Willner-Reid
National Institute on Drug Abuse, Baltimore, MD 21224, USA
J Subst Abuse Treat 35:78-86. 2008We examined the impact of methadone maintenance treatment (MMT) on risk behaviors for transmission of blood-borne diseases in polydrug users who had tested positive or negative for hepatitis C virus (HCV)...
- A randomized controlled trial of interim methadone maintenanceRobert P Schwartz
Friends Research Institute, Inc, Baltimore, MD 21201, USA
Arch Gen Psychiatry 63:102-9. 2006Effective alternatives to long waiting lists for entry into methadone hydrochloride maintenance treatment are needed to reduce the complications of continuing heroin dependence and to increase methadone treatment entry.
- Neonatal abstinence syndrome after methadone or buprenorphine exposureHendree E Jones
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD, USA
N Engl J Med 363:2320-31. 2010b>Methadone, a full mu-opioid agonist, is the recommended treatment for opioid dependence during pregnancy...
- The impact of needle and syringe provision and opiate substitution therapy on the incidence of hepatitis C virus in injecting drug users: pooling of UK evidenceKaty M E Turner
School of Social and Community Medicine, University of Bristol, Bristol, UK
Addiction 106:1978-88. 2011..To investigate whether opiate substitution therapy (OST) and needle and syringe programmes (NSP) can reduce hepatitis C virus (HCV) transmission among injecting drug users (IDUs)...
- Post-marketing surveillance of methadone and buprenorphine in the United StatesNabarun Dasgupta
Department of Epidemiology, Gillings School of Global Public Health, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, USA
Pain Med 11:1078-91. 2010There have been recent increases in the use of methadone and buprenorphine in the United States...
- Methadone-nicotine interactions in methadone maintenance treatment patientsAlexander K Elkader
Centre for Addiction and Mental Health, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
J Clin Psychopharmacol 29:231-8. 2009Smoking is highly prevalent (85%-98%) in methadone maintenance treatment (MMT) patients...
- Actual and potential drug interactions associated with methadoneDouglas J Weschules
excelleRx, Inc, An Omnicare Company, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
Pain Med 9:315-44. 2008To identify and characterize methadone-related drug interactions, as well as factors accounting for the variability in manifesting these interactions clinically.
- Patient perspectives on methadone maintenance treatment in the Valencia Region: dose adjustment, participation in dosage regulation, and satisfaction with treatmentJosé Pérez de Los Cobos
Addictive Behaviours Unit, Department of Psychiatry, Hospital de la Santa Creu i Sant Pau, Barcelona Autonomous University School of Medicine, Sant Antoni M a Claret 167, 08025 Barcelona, Spain
Drug Alcohol Depend 79:405-12. 2005Desired adjustment of methadone dose, perceived participation in dosage regulation, and satisfaction with methadone treatment centres were assessed in a sample of opioid-dependent patients from the Valencia Region (eastern Spain)...
- Dentition of addiction in Queensland: poor dental status and major contributing drugsA S Reece
Southcity Medical Centre, Brisbane, Queensland
Aust Dent J 52:144-9. 2007..Although it is said that drug addiction is associated with poor dental health, there is little research in this area. In particular, there is little work comparing the effects of the different drugs of addiction...
- Merits and problems in high-threshold methadone maintenance treatment. Evaluation of medication-assisted rehabilitation in Norway 1998-2004Helge Waal
Unit for Addiction Medicine, Institute of Psychiatry, University of Oslo, Oslo, Norway
Eur Addict Res 13:66-73. 2007b>Methadone maintenance treatment (MMT) in Norway emphasizes rehabilitation and control with strict intake criteria and rules for involuntary termination...
- Stereoselective block of hERG channel by (S)-methadone and QT interval prolongation in CYP2B6 slow metabolizersC B Eap
Unit of Biochemistry and Clinical Psychopharmacology, Centre for Psychiatric Neurosciences, University Department of Psychiatry CHUV, Hospital of Cery, Prilly Lausanne, Switzerland
Clin Pharmacol Ther 81:719-28. 2007b>Methadone inhibits the cardiac potassium channel hERG and can cause a prolonged QT interval. Methadone is chiral but its therapeutic activity is mainly due to (R)-methadone...
- Opiate addiction in China: current situation and treatmentsYi lang Tang
Beijing Anding Hospital, Capital University of Medical Sciences, Beijing, China
Addiction 101:657-65. 2006..Historically, China has had extraordinarily high rates of opiate dependence. These rates declined drastically following the 1949 revolution; however, opiate abuse has re-emerged in the late 1980's and has spread quickly since then...
- Methadone enantiomer plasma levels, CYP2B6, CYP2C19, and CYP2C9 genotypes, and response to treatmentSeverine Crettol
Unite de Biochimie et Psychopharmacologie Clinique, Centre des Neurosciences Psychiatriques, Departement universitaire de psychiatrie adulte, Hôpital de Cery, Lausanne, Switzerland
Clin Pharmacol Ther 78:593-604. 2005Recent in vitro studies have suggested an important role of cytochrome P450 (CYP) 2B6 and CYP2C19 in methadone metabolism...
- Four-year follow-up of imprisoned male heroin users and methadone treatment: mortality, re-incarceration and hepatitis C infectionKate A Dolan
National Drug and Alcohol Research Centre, University of New South Wales, Sydney, Australia
Addiction 100:820-8. 2005To examine the long-term impact of methadone maintenance treatment (MMT) on mortality, re-incarceration and hepatitis C seroconversion in imprisoned male heroin users.
- Survival and cessation in injecting drug users: prospective observational study of outcomes and effect of opiate substitution treatmentJo Kimber
Department of Social Medicine, University of Bristol, Bristol BS8 2PS
BMJ 341:c3172. 2010..To examine survival and long term cessation of injecting in a cohort of drug users and to assess the influence of opiate substitution treatment on these outcomes...
- ABCB1 (MDR1) genetic variants are associated with methadone doses required for effective treatment of heroin dependenceOrna Levran
Laboratory of the Biology of Addictive Diseases, The Rockefeller University, New York, NY 10065, USA
Hum Mol Genet 17:2219-27. 2008b>Methadone is a mu-opioid receptor agonist used for treating opiate dependence. The range of effective methadone doses is broad. Part of the large inter-individual variability in efficacy may be accounted for by genetic factors...
- HIV and intimate partner violence among methadone-maintained women in New York CityNabila El-Bassel
Social Intervention Group, Columbia University School of Social Work, New York, NY 10027, USA
Soc Sci Med 61:171-83. 2005..and sexual risk of HIV/STI transmission in a longitudinal study with a random sample of 416 women enrolled in methadone maintenance treatment programs in New York City...
- Comparative actions of the opioid analgesics morphine, methadone and codeine in rat models of peripheral and central neuropathic painHelle Kirsten Erichsen
Department of Pharmacology, Neurosearch A S, 93 Pederstrupvej, DK 2750 Ballerup, Denmark
Pain 116:347-58. 2005..the present study the effects of acute, subcutaneous administration of the mu-opioid receptor agonists morphine, methadone and codeine were examined in rat models of peripheral and central neuropathic pain...
- Adherence to hepatitis C treatment in recovering heroin users maintained on methadoneDiana L Sylvestre
Department of Medicine, University of California, San Francisco, Oakland, California 94612, USA
Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol 19:741-7. 2007..We sought to define the impact of these and other potential adherence barriers in a real-world sample of recovering drug users...
- Increased OPRM1 DNA methylation in lymphocytes of methadone-maintained former heroin addictsDavid A Nielsen
Laboratory of the Biology of the Addictive Diseases, The Rockefeller University, New York, NY 10065, USA
Neuropsychopharmacology 34:867-73. 2009..CpG dinucleotides in DNA obtained from lymphocytes of 194 Caucasian former severe heroin addicts stabilized in methadone maintenance treatment and 135 Caucasian control subjects...
- Brain penetration of methadone (R)- and (S)-enantiomers is greatly increased by P-glycoprotein deficiency in the blood-brain barrier of Abcb1a gene knockout miceJun Sheng Wang
Laboratory of Drug Disposition and Pharmacogenetics, Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Medical University of South Carolina, 67 President Street, Charleston, SC 29425, USA
Psychopharmacology (Berl) 173:132-8. 2004b>Methadone maintenance treatment is complicated by the wide variability of efficacy among patients...
- A randomised controlled trial of methadone maintenance treatment versus wait list control in an Australian prison systemKate A Dolan
National Drug and Alcohol Research Centre, UNSW, Sydney NSW 2052, Australia
Drug Alcohol Depend 72:59-65. 2003The aim was to determine whether methadone maintenance treatment reduced heroin use, syringe sharing and HIV or hepatitis C incidence among prisoners.
- Directly observed antiretroviral therapy improves adherence and viral load in drug users attending methadone maintenance clinics: a randomized controlled trialKarina M Berg
Division of General Internal Medicine, Department of Medicine, Albert Einstein College of Medicine and Montefiore Medical Center, Bronx, NY 10467, United States
Drug Alcohol Depend 113:192-9. 2011To determine if directly observed antiretroviral therapy (DOT) is more efficacious than self-administered therapy for improving adherence and reducing HIV viral load (VL) among methadone-maintained opioid users.
- Methadone as HIV prevention: high volume methadone sites to decrease HIV incidence rates in resource limited settingsR Douglas Bruce
Yale University, School of Medicine, AIDS Programme, 135 College Street, Suite 323, New Haven, CT 06510, United States
Int J Drug Policy 21:122-4. 2010..Although methadone has demonstrated multiple health benefits including the reduction in injection drug use and HIV acquisition, the ..
- Psychiatric comorbidity reduces quality of life in chronic methadone maintained patientsPieter J Carpentier
Novadic Kentron, Network for Addiction Treatment Services, Vught, The Netherlands
Am J Addict 18:470-80. 2009Despite the efficacy of methadone maintenance treatment (MMT), opioid dependence still involves severe impairment of functioning and low quality of life...
- Genetic variants altering dopamine D2 receptor expression or function modulate the risk of opiate addiction and the dosage requirements of methadone substitutionAlexandra Doehring
Pharmazentrum frankfurt ZAFES, Institute of Clinical Pharmacology, Goethe University, Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Pharmacogenet Genomics 19:407-14. 2009..in addition, the ANKK1 rs1800497C>T single nucleotide polymorphism (SNP), formerly known as 'dopamine D2 receptor Taq1A C>T polymorphism', for associations with the risk of opiate addiction and the methadone dosage requirements.
- PET imaging of dopamine transporter and drug craving during methadone maintenance treatment and after prolonged abstinence in heroin usersJie Shi
National Institute on Drug Dependence, Peking University, Beijing 100083, China
Eur J Pharmacol 579:160-6. 2008It has been documented that methadone maintenance treatment is effective in reducing drug craving and relevant risk behaviors in heroin users...
- A meta-analysis of retention in methadone maintenance by dose and dosing strategyYan Ping Bao
National Institute on Drug Dependence, Peking University, Beijing, China
Am J Drug Alcohol Abuse 35:28-33. 2009To estimate, via meta-analysis, the influence of different methadone dose ranges and dosing strategies on retention rates in methadone maintenance treatment (MMT).
- The relationship of psychiatric comorbidity to treatment outcomes in methadone maintained patientsJ S Cacciola
The University of Pennsylvania Medical School Philadelphia Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Center for the Studies of Addiction, Building 3, University and Civic Center Boulevard, Philadelphia, PA 19104 6021, USA
Drug Alcohol Depend 61:271-80. 2001..of comorbid non-substance use psychiatric disorders to preadmission problem status and treatment outcomes in 278 methadone maintenance patients...
- Ophthalmic, clinical and visual electrophysiological findings in children born to mothers prescribed substitute methadone in pregnancyR Hamilton
Department of Clinical Physics, Royal Hospital for Sick Children, Glasgow, UK
Br J Ophthalmol 94:696-700. 2010There are growing concerns regarding visual outcome of infants exposed to opiates (including substitute methadone) and/or benzodiazepines in utero...
- The effect of methadone on emotional reactivitySteven M Savvas
Discipline of Pharmacology, University of Adelaide, South Australia, Australia
Addiction 107:388-92. 2012..The aim of this study was to investigate the effect of methadone on emotional reactivity in methadone-maintained patients.
- Prize reinforcement contingency management for cocaine dependence: integration with group therapy in a methadone clinicNancy M Petry
Department of Psychiatry, University of Connecticut Health Center, Farmington, CT 06030 3944, USA
J Consult Clin Psychol 73:354-9. 2005..CM) procedure for reducing cocaine use and enhancing group therapy attendance in 77 cocaine-dependent methadone patients...
- Acute effect of methadone maintenance dose on brain FMRI response to heroin-related cuesDaniel D Langleben
Department of Psychiatry, University of Pennsylvania, Treatment Research Center, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Am J Psychiatry 165:390-4. 2008Environmental drug-related cues have been implicated as a cause of illicit heroin use during methadone maintenance treatment of heroin dependence...
- A prospective controlled study of interferon-based therapy of chronic hepatitis C in patients on methadone maintenanceStefan Mauss
Center for HIV and Hepatogastroenterology, Dusseldorf, Germany
Hepatology 40:120-4. 2004..One hundred patients with chronic hepatitis C, 50 on methadone maintenance, and 50 with no intravenous drug use or opioid maintenance for at least 5 years were prospectively ..
- Agonist-like or antagonist-like treatment for cocaine dependence with methadone for heroin dependence: two double-blind randomized clinical trialsJohn Grabowski
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, School of Medicine, Substance Abuse Mediation Development Research Center, University of Texas Health Science Center, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Neuropsychopharmacology 29:969-81. 2004Concurrent abuse of cocaine and heroin is a common problem. Methadone is effective for opioid dependence...
- Risk of death during and after opiate substitution treatment in primary care: prospective observational study in UK General Practice Research DatabaseRosie Cornish
School of Social and Community Medicine, University of Bristol, Bristol BS8 2PS, UK
BMJ 341:c5475. 2010..To investigate the effect of opiate substitution treatment at the beginning and end of treatment and according to duration of treatment...
- HIV risk behaviors during pharmacologic treatment for opioid dependence: a comparison of levomethadyl acetate [corrected] buprenorphine, and methadoneDavid C Lott
Chemical Dependency Program, Linden Oaks Hospital at Edward, 825 S West St, Naperville, IL 60540, USA
J Subst Abuse Treat 31:187-94. 2006..double-blind clinical trial comparing levomethadyl acetate [corrected] (LAAM), buprenorphine (BUP), and methadone (METH)...
- Long-term effects of the Focus on Families project on substance use disorders among children of parents in methadone treatmentKevin P Haggerty
Social Development Research Group, University of Washington, 9725 3rd Avenue, NE, Suite 401, Seattle, WA 98115, USA
Addiction 103:2008-16. 2008This study examines the efficacy of the Focus on Families project (currently called Families Facing the Future), a preventive intervention to reduce substance use disorders among children in families with a parent in methadone treatment.
- Predictors of opiate agonist treatment retention among injection drug users referred from a needle exchange programJennifer R Havens
Center on Drug and Alcohol Research, University of Kentucky College of Medicine, Lexington, KY 40536 9824, USA
J Subst Abuse Treat 36:306-12. 2009....
- Onsite QTc interval screening for patients in methadone maintenance treatmentAyman Fareed
Department of Psychiatry, Emory University, School of Medicine, Decatur, GA 30033, USA
J Addict Dis 29:15-22. 2010..a retrospective chart review to access the efficacy and feasibility of their new onsite procedure in identifying methadone maintained patients at high risk for cardiac arrhythmias...
- Sex trading and psychological distress among women on methadoneN El-Bassel
Social Intervention Group, School of Social Work, Columbia University, New York, New York 10025, USA
Psychol Addict Behav 15:177-84. 2001..relationship between sex trading and psychological distress among a nonrandom sample of women recruited from 3 methadone maintenance clinics in New York City. Face-to-face interviews with 280 women (M age = 40...
- Multilevel analysis of HIV related risk behaviors among heroin users in a low prevalence communityHuizhen Li
Stanley Ho Centre for Emerging Infectious Diseases, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong, PR China
BMC Public Health 9:137. 2009..This study explores the relative importance of individual and community level characteristics in the practice of HIV-related risk behaviors in IDU in Hong Kong where the HIV prevalence has remained low at below 1%...
- Clinical characteristics and risk behavior as a function of HIV status among heroin users enrolled in methadone treatment in northern TaiwanTony Szu Hsien Lee
Department of Health Promotion and Health Education, National Taiwan Normal University, No 162, He ping East Road, Section 1, Taipei 10610, Taiwan
Subst Abuse Treat Prev Policy 6:6. 2011b>Methadone treatment was introduced in Taiwan in 2006 as a harm-reduction program in response to the human immunodeficiency virus (HIV), which is endemic among Taiwanese heroin users...
- Drug Interactions at the Human Blood-Brain BarrierJashvant D Unadkat; Fiscal Year: 2010..Second, such an approach could be used to "tighten" the BBB in the case of drug abuse (e.g. methadone, a P-gp substrate). Third, it would indicate that drugs that are potent P-gp inducers (e.g. St...
- Preclinical studies of a heroin/morphine vaccine for opiate addictionPaul R Pentel; Fiscal Year: 2013..There are several medications already available or the treatment of heroin addiction, including methadone, buprenorphine and naltrexone...
- Does the extreme variability of methadone metabolism have an epigenetic cause?Gavin R Schnitzler; Fiscal Year: 2010..Treatment with methadone is one of the few effective ways to treat heroin addicts, keeping them from relapsing while allowing them to ..
- Vaccines for Sustainable Therapy of Opiate AddictionFrank M Orson; Fiscal Year: 2012..While methadone clinics and other treatment programs can be effective, the expense of the support programs and medications can ..
- PA-06-555 Senior Scientist Research and Mentorship Award (K05)GEORGE EDWARD WOODY; Fiscal Year: 2012..To this end, I have been PI or a Co-l on studies on antidepressant pharmacotherapy, propoxyphene maintenance, methadone maintenance and its impact on HIV risk and infection, LAAM, buprenorphine, psychotherapy, a HIV vaccine, a rapid ..
- Sleep, Arousal, and Spontaneous Movements in Opioid Exposed InfantsMarie J Hayes; Fiscal Year: 2010..To examine prenatal exposure type, methadone treated pregnant women (n=40) from a rural, Caucasian cohort will be interviewed in the third trimester and ..
- Medications Development for the Pregnant Opiate AddictMahmoud S Ahmed; Fiscal Year: 2010..This will be achieved by obtaining information on human placental bio-disposition of methadone and buprenorphine (BUP)...
- Characterization of Toxicity with Spinal OpiatesTony L Yaksh; Fiscal Year: 2010..Our studies show that granulomas are induced by morphine, hydromorphone, methadone and DAMGO, but not fentanyl...
- Targeted Plasma Peptidomics: Endogenous Mu-Opioid Receptor PeptidesBrian Reed; Fiscal Year: 2013..We will then apply these methods to a translational study of the major pharmacotherapy for heroin addiction, methadone maintenance treatment in a novel rat model, to determine alterations in peptide hormone biomarker levels, which ..
- Vaccines for the Treatment of Opiate AddictionKim D Janda; Fiscal Year: 2013..the situation, policies in developing countries still prohibit substitution therapy with buprenorphine or methadone. Furthermore, many IDUs are routinely excluded from HIV treatment and care;accordingly, this population has a ..
- An Effectiveness Trial of Maintenance Therapy for Nicotine DependenceRobert A Schnoll; Fiscal Year: 2013..In addition, as done in clinical trials to support the use of methadone maintenance for opiate dependence, a replication study must include a treatment arm that receives maintenance ..
- Treatment Study Using Depot Naltrexone(1/6)Philadelphia Coord/Data Mgmt SiteCHARLES P O'BRIEN; Fiscal Year: 2013..Treatment advances in the area of medications have not reached this population. Effective medications such as methadone and buprenorphine are not well accepted by prosecutors and judges...
- Developing a Smoking Cessation Intervention for Methadone Maintained SmokersNina Cooperman; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Over 75% of drug abusers receiving methadone maintenance treatment are tobacco smokers...
- Monoacylglycerol Lipase Inhibitors for Treating Opioid Use DisordersAron H Lichtman; Fiscal Year: 2013..Current pharmacotherapies for opioid dependence, such as opioid maintenance therapy (e.g., methadone and buprenorphine), reduce the need for illicit substances and alleviate opioid withdrawal, but possess a ..
- Treatment Study Using Depot Naltrexone(2/6)Rhode Island Protocol Treatment SitePeter D Friedmann; Fiscal Year: 2012..Treatment advances in the area of medications have not reached this population. Effective medications such as methadone and buprenorphine are not well accepted by prosecutors and judges...
- Opioid selection and the risk of serious infections in older adultsCarlos G Grijalva; Fiscal Year: 2013..opioids with comparable analgesic properties;and, 3) Test the hypothesis that concurrent use of oxycodone or methadone and strong inhibitors of their metabolism increases the risk of serious infections relative to such use without ..
- Re-engineering Methadone Treatment: A Randomized Clinical TrialRobert P Schwartz; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Premature discontinuation from methadone treatment programs (MTP) is a frequent occurrence and is associated with continued illicit drug use, HIV infection, overdose death, and crime...
- Treatment Study Using Depot Naltrexone(3/6)NY/Bellevue Protocol Treatment SiteJOSHUA D LEE; Fiscal Year: 2013..Treatment advances in the area of medications have not reached this population. Effective medications such as methadone and buprenorphine are not well accepted by prosecutors and judges...
- Treatment Studies Using Depot Naltrexone (4/6) Columbia Protocol Treatment SiteEdward V Nunes; Fiscal Year: 2012
- A Comparison of Buprenorphine Versus Morphine in the Treatment of the Neonatal AbWalter K Kraft; Fiscal Year: 2013..will be drawn primarily from a well-established comprehensive treatment program for pregnant women treated with methadone for addiction. The research team assembled to perform the trial is extant...
- Treatment Study Using Depot Naltrexone(5/6)Baltimore Protocol Treatment SiteTimothy W Kinlock; Fiscal Year: 2013
- Medications and the Risk of Sudden Cardiac DeathWayne A Ray; Fiscal Year: 2013..suggesting increased risk for sudden cardiac death, but inconclusive evidence: contemporary antidepressants, methadone, and concurrent use of antipsychotics with drugs likely to inhibit their metabolism...
- Cigarette Smoking and Tuberculosis among Injection Drug Users in Tijuana, MexicoSANGHYUK SAM SHIN; Fiscal Year: 2013..In October 2010, Mexico enacted a new drug reform law that will significantly expand methadone maintenance treatment for opiate-addicted persons, which presents a timely opportunity to prevent TB among IDUs ..
- A Comparison of Methadone Treatment Systems in California and British ColumbiaBohdan Nosyk; Fiscal Year: 2013..b>Methadone Maintenance Treatment (MMT) has been found to be the most effective form of treatment for opioid dependence...
- Expanding Treatment of Opioid Dependence Among the Privately InsuredSusan H Busch; Fiscal Year: 2012..of buprenorphine, an opioid dependence treatment approved by the FDA in 2002 with similar efficacy to methadone, was expected to lead to increased treatment rates...
- ADDICTION THERAPY: METABOLISM AND TRANSPORT-MEDIATED DRUG INTERACTIONSEvan D Kharasch; Fiscal Year: 2012..b>Methadone and buprenorphine are the cornerstone therapies for opiate addiction, however their disposition is characterized ..
- Cost, Benefit &Regulation of Buprenorphine Treatment for Medicaid BeneficiariesRobin E Clark; Fiscal Year: 2012..2) to compare costs and outcomes of Medicaid funded treatments for opioid dependence, including buprenorphine, methadone maintenance and outpatient drug free treatment as well as no treatment...
- CYP2B6 genetic variations and drug interactionsZeruesenay Desta; Fiscal Year: 2013..g., efavirenz and methadone) to avoid adverse effects...
- Development of a flagellin-cocaine conjugate vaccineSteven B Mizel; Fiscal Year: 2010..Although treatments such as the nicotine patch or methadone have been useful in reducing addictions to smoking and opiate abuse, there are currently no such treatments for ..
- Improving Outcome in Neonatal Abstinence SyndromeBarry M Lester; Fiscal Year: 2013..First, 184 term infants needing treatment for NAS will be randomized to receive either morphine or methadone in a double blind, double dummy design...
- Exogenous Chemical Probes of TLR-Mediated NeuroinflammationHANG HUBERT YIN; Fiscal Year: 2013..Evidence has accrued over the last seven years that glia are activated by opioids (e.g. morphine, methadone, meperidine, and oxycodone) and that this opioid-induced glial response suppresses opioid analgesia, resulting ..
- Suboxone and Methadone for HIV Risk Reduction in Subutex InjectorsGEORGE EDWARD WOODY; Fiscal Year: 2010This study will obtain pilot data on the acceptability of a 12-week course of daily observed Suboxone and methadone, followed by a dose taper or referral to a local treatment program for 80 opioid dependent patients (40/group) who have ..
- Reducing drug use and HIV risk in drug-dependent adults arrested for prostitutionAnthony DeFulio; Fiscal Year: 2013..therapeutic alternative to criminal prosecution, we propose to develop a multifaceted intervention that includes methadone treatment and the Therapeutic Workplace...
- Real-Time Assessment of Triggers and Coping Responses in ChinaYih Ing Hser; Fiscal Year: 2013..provided by applicant): Responding to high rates of HIV/AIDS among opiate users, China has recently implemented methadone maintenance treatment (MMT) programs in order to reduce HIV risks among injection drug users (IDUs)...
- New Neural Targets for Opioid Use Disorders: Human StudiesSharon L Walsh; Fiscal Year: 2010..approved for the treatment of opioid dependence in the United States, the most efficacious (buprenorphine and methadone) are restricted in use to specified practice conditions, thus limiting their availability to patients...
- Development of Novel Medication Strategies for Opiate AbuseYasmin L Hurd; Fiscal Year: 2013..Treatment strategies such as methadone have improved substance abuse outcomes, but they do not effectively block opiate craving and thus are still ..
- HCV and Pain in Substance Users With and Without HIVJudith Tsui; Fiscal Year: 2013..She will assemble a cohort of 120 opioid dependent patients on buprenorphine or methadone: 40 HCV+/HIV-, 40 HCV+/HIV+ and 40 HCV-/HIV-controls...
- Intensive Models of HCV Care for Injection Drug UsersALAIN LITWIN; Fiscal Year: 2013..pegylated interferon is administered once weekly, and one daily dose of oral medication is administered at the methadone window...
- Varenicline versus Nicotine Replacement for Methadone-Maintained SmokersMichael D Stein; Fiscal Year: 2012..Recent studies indicate that persons enrolled in methadone maintenance treatment programs are interested in receiving smoking cessation treatment, but success with ..
- Delivering Psychosocial Treatment to Substance Abusers via Mobile TechnologiesLisa A Marsch; Fiscal Year: 2013..b>Methadone maintenance treatment (MMT) has been widely shown to be safe and effective in treating OUDs, especially when ..
- Role of opioid receptor trafficking in tolerance and dependenceJennifer L Whistler; Fiscal Year: 2011..Specifically, endogenous opioid peptides and certain opiate drugs such as etorphine and methadone stimulate the rapid internalization of mu opioid receptors...
- Behavioral Drug and HIV Risk Reduction Counseling with MMT in ChinaMarek C Chawarski; Fiscal Year: 2013..The Chinese government recently embarked on an ambitious program to make methadone maintenance treatment (MMT) widely available to all heroin addicts...
- A Randomized Trial of Interim Methadone and Patient Navigation Initiated in JailRobert P Schwartz; Fiscal Year: 2013..While community-based methadone maintenance (MM) has been proven effective and is in widespread use, to our knowledge, Rikers Island Jail in New ..
- Reducing HCV/HIV Risk Behaviors among Injection Drug Users in ChinaJiang Du; Fiscal Year: 2013..The HCV infection among Chinese injection drug users (IDUs) is high, particularly among those in methadone maintenance treatment (MMT) (e.g., more than 80% in many provinces)...
- Buprenorphine to Improve HIV Care Engagement and Outcomes: A Randomized TrialPHILIP TODD KORTHUIS; Fiscal Year: 2013..a multi-site, randomized trial of HIV clinic- based buprenorphine/naloxone (BUP/NX) (n=225) versus referral to methadone maintenance treatment (MMT) (n=225) for treatment of opioid dependence in HIV-infected patients new to care in 5 ..
- Mechanisms of Carisoprodol AbuseLaszlo Prokai; Fiscal Year: 2012..Drug Abuse Warning Network identified carisoprodol as the 14th most abused drug, ranking higher than oxycodone, methadone, and LSD...
- The Prescriber Opioid Risk Reduction Strategies (PORRS) StudyJeanine K Mount; Fiscal Year: 2013..Opioids of greatest concern (e.g., oxycodone, hydrocodone, methadone, morphine, codeine) are found in single- entity and combination drug products categorized as Schedule II and ..
- Efficacy of Drug-HIV counseling among IDU at Methadone clinics in JakartaDavid S Metzger; Fiscal Year: 2012..has been fueled by injection drug use among heroin users and the national response includes the scale-up of methadone maintenance treatment...
- Medical Strategies for the Management of Pain in the Addicted PatientRichard D Blondell; Fiscal Year: 2012..therefore, have tried a middle-ground approach of switching these patients to the long-acting opioids methadone and buprenorphine, which have analgesic effects but lower potential for exacerbating addiction...
- Methadone population pharmacokinetics: treatment outcome in Hmong and non-HmongGavin Bart; Fiscal Year: 2012..This project will focus on the Hmong as 'a model population for pharmacokinetic research of methadone maintenance. We previously observed that the Hmong have superior treatment outcome (i.e...
- Optimizing Pain Treatment while Reducing Abuse Liability in Opioid DependenceDavid Andrew Tompkins; Fiscal Year: 2013..objective drug effects provided by intravenous doses of hydromorphone and buprenorphine in 3 groups: pain-free methadone maintained participants (N=30), pain-free buprenorphine maintained participants (N=30), and buprenorphine ..
- Pharmacotherapy &CM for Opioid and Cocaine DependenceMehmet Sofuoglu; Fiscal Year: 2012..Subjects will also be randomized to a yoked-control condition. In summary we address four Specific Aims in 160 methadone maintained patients using a two-by-two research design that will randomize to four cells: CM+placebo, CM+..
- Hepatitis Care Coordination in Methadone TreatmentDavid C Perlman; Fiscal Year: 2010..Care Coordination (HCC) consisting of testing, education, counseling and vaccination for opioid users in methadone maintenance treatment compared with standard Testing, Education, and Counseling (TEC)...
- Hepatitis Care Coordination in Methadone TreatmentCarmen L Masson; Fiscal Year: 2010..Care Coordination (HCC) consisting of testing, education, counseling and vaccination for opioid users in methadone maintenance treatment compared with standard Testing, Education, and Counseling (TEC)...
- Diversion to treatment for injection drug users arrested for possession of heroinAnthony DeFulio; Fiscal Year: 2013..adults arrested for possession of heroin, one potentially effective alternative is to divert offenders to methadone maintenance treatment (MMT) as an alternative to adjudication of their case...
- Enhanced treatment management of opioid-dependence in an office-based settingMichael Sean Davis; Fiscal Year: 2012..of opioid-dependence has been provided in specialty care settings, such as residential therapeutic communities, methadone maintenance clinics, and dedicated inpatient or outpatient treatment programs, yet the availability of these ..
- Employment-Based Depot Naltrexone Clinical TrialKenneth Silverman; Fiscal Year: 2013..b>Methadone and buprenorphine can reduce heroin use and risky injection behavior;however, they have abuse potential, produce ..
- The Function of Methadone in Metabolic-& Pharmacokinetic-Based Drug InteractionsANTONIA TOLSON; Fiscal Year: 2010DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): To date, methadone-drug interactions is a field of research that is characterized asymmetrically among published scientific literature...
- Varenicline Smoking Cessation Treatment for Methadone Maintenance PatientsShadi Nahvi; Fiscal Year: 2013..a future R01 grant application to conduct a randomized trial of a tailored smoking cessation intervention for methadone maintained smokers...
- Estimating the Price Elasticities of Demand for Illicit DrugsTodd A Olmstead; Fiscal Year: 2010..aims to provide new estimates from laboratory based and real-world based settings of the price elasticity of demand for illicit drugs using a novel sample of heroin and polydrug users, some of whom are currently in methadone treatment.
- The Therapeutic Workplace Intervention in Community Settings.Sigurdur Oli Sigurdsson; Fiscal Year: 2013..Our application focuses on methadone patients who use injection or crack cocaine because of their increased risk of acquiring or transmitting HIV ..
- Providing Depression Care for Older Adult Substance Abusers at Community AgenciesDaniel Rosen; Fiscal Year: 2012..The Candidate's pilot work with older methadone clients identified Problem Solving Therapy...
- ANTIRETROVIRAL THERAPIES AND SUBSTANCE ABUSEDavid Greenblatt; Fiscal Year: 2002..both for patients' health and to minimize risk of disease dissemination, through maintenance programs using methadone or buprenorphine...
- Online Training for Methadone Maintenance Treatment ProvidersHILARY LIBERTY; Fiscal Year: 2009..seeks to address heroin and other opioid addiction by providing inexpensive, effective online training to Methadone Maintenance Treatment (MMT) staff to improve treatment outcomes...
- AIDS DEMONSTATION--THREE LEVELS OF METHADONE MAINTENANCEANNA CHILDRESS; Fiscal Year: 1990..patient ratio requirement (now 1 to 50) and the reduction in the number of urine specimens required by methadone maintenance programs (now 1 per month)...
- DEVELOPMENTAL NEUROCHEMISTRY OF BUPRENORPHINESusan Robinson; Fiscal Year: 1999b>Methadone is used in the management of the pregnant opioid addict. However, methadone maintenance has been associated with neonatal withdrawal as well as with behavioral and neurochemical anomalies in both human and animals...
- Methadone Benefit Elimination--Oregon Health PlanBret Fuller; Fiscal Year: 2003..in the Oregon Health Plan (OHP) have created a unique opportunity to investigate impacts on patients enrolled in methadone maintenance services when the Oregon State Legislature eliminated payment for methadone maintenance and ..
- Improving Methadone Maintenance Treatment Compliance and Outcomes in ChinaYih Ing Hser; Fiscal Year: 2009..of high rates of HIV/AIDS and other medical consequences among heroin users, China has recently implemented methadone maintenance treatment (MMT) programs nationwide...
- Mu Opioid Receptor Regulation in Neonatal BrainstemGEORGE OLSEN; Fiscal Year: 2006The long-term goal of the proposed research is to understand mechanisms by which chronic in utero morphine and methadone exposure affect regulation and function of mu opioid receptors (MOR) in respiratory control areas of newborn ..
- Maternal Opioid Treatment: Human Experimental ResearchSusan Stine; Fiscal Year: 2009DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Though clearly beneficial, the use of methadone during pregnancy remains controversial partly due to the large percentage of newborns having signs of opioid withdrawal requiring medical intervention ..
- BEHAVIORAL STUDIES WITH METHADONE CLIENTSMark Greenwald; Fiscal Year: 2001..research is to determine the effects of several pharmacological and environmental variables on heroin craving in methadone-maintained clients...
- Morphine versus Methadone as First Line Strong Opioid for Cancer PainEduardo Bruera; Fiscal Year: 2009..b>Methadone has demonstrated its excellent oral bioavailability, rapid onset of analgesic action, a long life associated ..
- ST LOUIS EFFORT TO REDUCE THE SPREAD OF AIDS IN IVDUSLinda Cottler; Fiscal Year: 1993..is to attract an increased number of intravenous drug users (IVDUs) to enter treatment; to improve drug free and methadone maintenance treatment programs and to educate persons about how to reduce behaviors associated with the spread ..
- Methadone Maintenance Therapy: a Breastfeeding Intervention for Pregnant WomenDebra Bogen; Fiscal Year: 2009..The long-term goal is to evaluate the impact of breastfeeding on substance use and health outcomes for methadone-exposed mother-infant dyads...
- Methadone Maintenance for PrisonersTIMOTHY KINLOCK; Fiscal Year: 2007..Based on evidence of methadone maintenance treatment effectiveness in community settings, it appears an especially promising approach for ..
- COMPARISON OF THREE LEVELS OF METHADONE INTERVENTIONDonald Calsyn; Fiscal Year: 1993..The vast majority of opiate addicts use intravenous administration and methadone treatment is the primary mode of treating such addicts...
- BOMBESIN RECEPTORS MEDIATING METHADONE INDUCED APOPTOSISRHODA MANECKJEE; Fiscal Year: 2002The therapeutic opioid drug methadone, that is generally used to treat cancer pain and opioid addiction, is also a potent inducer of apoptosis in human lung cancer cells, thus inhibiting their growth...