Genomes and Genes
Summary: A phenyl-piperidinyl-butyrophenone that is used primarily to treat SCHIZOPHRENIA and other PSYCHOSES. It is also used in schizoaffective disorder, DELUSIONAL DISORDERS, ballism, and TOURETTE SYNDROME (a drug of choice) and occasionally as adjunctive therapy in MENTAL RETARDATION and the chorea of HUNTINGTON DISEASE. It is a potent antiemetic and is used in the treatment of intractable HICCUPS. (From AMA Drug Evaluations Annual, 1994, p279)
Publications342 found, 100 shown here
- Opposing patterns of signaling activation in dopamine D1 and D2 receptor-expressing striatal neurons in response to cocaine and haloperidolJesus Bertran-Gonzalez
Inserm UMR S 839, Paris, France
J Neurosci 28:5671-85. 2008..The responses remained confined to D1R neurons. In contrast, acute haloperidol injection activated phosphorylation of ERK, MSK1, and H3 only in D2R neurons and induced c-fos and zif268 ..
- Efficacy and safety of quetiapine in critically ill patients with delirium: a prospective, multicenter, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled pilot studyJohn W Devlin
Northeastern University School of Pharmacy, Boston, MA, USA
Crit Care Med 38:419-27. 2010To compare the efficacy and safety of scheduled quetiapine to placebo for the treatment of delirium in critically ill patients requiring as-needed haloperidol.
- cDNA array reveals differential gene expression following chronic neuroleptic administration: implications of synapsin II in haloperidol treatmentVictor Z Chong
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Neurosciences, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
J Neurochem 82:1533-9. 2002..we discovered 14 genes in the rat striatum whose expression was changed by >/= 50% following chronic haloperidol treatment...
- Haloperidol prophylaxis for elderly hip-surgery patients at risk for delirium: a randomized placebo-controlled studyKees J Kalisvaart
Department of Geriatric Medicine, Medical Center Alkmaar, Alkmaar, The Netherlands
J Am Geriatr Soc 53:1658-66. 2005To study the effectiveness of haloperidol prophylaxis on incidence, severity, and duration of postoperative delirium in elderly hip-surgery patients at risk for delirium.
- Clozapine and sulpiride but not haloperidol or olanzapine activate brain DNA demethylationE Dong
Psychiatric Institute, Department of Psychiatry, University of Illinois, 1601 West Taylor Street, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 105:13614-9. 2008..5 to 50 micromol/kg twice a day for 3 days) but not clinically relevant doses of haloperidol (HAL) (1.3 to 4 micromol/kg twice a day s.c...
- Pharmacological validation of a chronic social stress model of depression in rats: effects of reboxetine, haloperidol and diazepamRafal Rygula
Department of Psychiatry and Psychotherapy, University of Gottingen, Gottingen, Germany
Behav Pharmacol 19:183-96. 2008..relevant period of 4 weeks with the antidepressant drug reboxetine (40 mg/kg/day) and the neuroleptic drug haloperidol (2 mg/kg/day). The anxiolytic diazepam (1 mg/kg) was administered acutely at the end of the stress period...
- A double-blind trial of risperidone and haloperidol for the treatment of deliriumChang Su Han
Department of Psychiatry, College of Medicine, Korea University Ansan Hospital, Ansan City, Gojan Dong, Kyunggi Province, Korea
Psychosomatics 45:297-301. 2004To compare the clinical efficacy of haloperidol and risperidone for the treatment of delirium, the authors performed a double-blind comparative study...
- Effects of aripiprazole, olanzapine, and haloperidol in a model of cognitive deficit of schizophrenia in rats: relationship with glutamate release in the medial prefrontal cortexMirjana Carli
Laboratory of Neurochemistry and Behavior, Department of Neuroscience, Istituto di Ricerche Farmacologiche Mario Negri, Via G La Masa 19, 20156, Milan, Italy
Psychopharmacology (Berl) 214:639-52. 2011..Disruption in cognition is characteristic of psychiatric illnesses such as schizophrenia. Studies of drugs that improve cognition might provide a better insight into the mechanisms underlying cognitive deficits...
- A single-blind, randomized trial comparing quetiapine and haloperidol in the treatment of tardive dyskinesiaRobin Emsley
Department of Psychiatry, University of Stellenbosch, Cape Town, South Africa
J Clin Psychiatry 65:696-701. 2004..Atypical antipsychotics have reduced propensities for producing acute extrapyramidal symptoms (EPS) and possibly tardive dyskinesia and may be effective in treating patients with established tardive dyskinesia...
- Remission in schizophrenia: 196-week, double-blind treatment with ziprasidone vs. haloperidolSteven G Potkin
Department of Psychiatry and Human Behavior, University of California, Irvine, CA, USA
Int J Neuropsychopharmacol 12:1233-48. 2009..i.d., or 80-120 mg/d given q.d.), or a conventional antipsychotic, haloperidol (5-20 mg/d). Outcome assessments included attainment of remission (Andreasen criteria) by longitudinal analysis...
- Comparative safety of antipsychotics in the WHO pharmacovigilance database: the haloperidol caseCarla Meyer-Massetti
Clinical Pharmacy and Epidemiology, Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Basel, Basel, Switzerland
Int J Clin Pharm 33:806-14. 2011Starting in 2007, regulatory agencies strengthened label warnings for intravenous haloperidol. Based on adverse drug reaction (ADR) reports of QT prolongation and torsades de pointes, regulatory agencies recommended the use of continuous ..
- Contrasting effects of haloperidol and lithium on rodent brain structure: a magnetic resonance imaging study with postmortem confirmationAnthony C Vernon
Department of Psychosis Studies, Institute of Psychiatry, King s College London, London, United Kingdom
Biol Psychiatry 71:855-63. 2012..Although these clinical data are confounded by illness, chronicity, and other medications, they do suggest that typical antipsychotic drugs and lithium have contrasting effects on brain volume...
- Current perceptions and practices surrounding the recognition and treatment of delirium in the intensive care unit: a survey of 250 critical care pharmacists from eight statesJohn W Devlin
School of Pharmacy, Northeastern University, Boston, MA, USA
Ann Pharmacother 45:1217-29. 2011..Pharmacists are key members of the intensive care unit (ICU) team; however, few data exist regarding their clinical role, perceptions, and current practices in recognizing and managing delirium...
- Course and predictors of weight gain in people with first-episode psychosis treated with olanzapine or haloperidolRobert B Zipursky
Schizophrenia Programme, Centre for Addiction and Mental Health, 250 College Street, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M5T 1R8
Br J Psychiatry 187:537-43. 2005..Substantial weight gain is common with many atypical antipsychotics...
- Acute antipyschotic efficacy and side effects in schizophrenia: association with serotonin transporter promoter genotypesVita Dolzan
University of Ljubljana, Faculty of Medicine, Institute of Biochemistry, Vrazov trg 2, SI 1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia
Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry 32:1562-6. 2008..In the present study, we investigated the effects of the 44 bp insertion/deletion polymorphism in the promoter region of 5-HTT gene (5-HTTLPR) on symptomatology of psychosis and clinical response to antipsychotic drugs...
- A 12-week randomized clinical trial to evaluate metabolic changes in drug-naive, first-episode psychosis patients treated with haloperidol, olanzapine, or risperidoneRocio Perez-Iglesias
Department of Psychiatry, Marques de Valdecilla University Hospital, University of Cantabria, Santander, Spain
J Clin Psychiatry 68:1733-40. 2007..This study examined the main metabolic side effects induced by antipsychotic treatment in a cohort of first-episode drug-naive subjects...
- Probing the human hippocampus using rCBF: contrasts in schizophreniaD R Medoff
Maryland Psychiatric Research Center, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore 21228, USA
Hippocampus 11:543-50. 2001..These data show an abnormality of hippocampal function in schizophrenia and suggest that this abnormality may be associated with the pathophysiology of the illness...
- Haloperidol impairs learning and error-related negativity in humansPatrick J Zirnheld
Indiana University, Bloomington 47405, USA
J Cogn Neurosci 16:1098-112. 2004..dopamine in ERN and behavioral indices of learning by administering either 3 mg of the dopamine antagonist (DA) haloperidol (n = 17); 25 mg of diphenhydramine (n = 16), which has a similar CNS profile but without DA properties; or ..
- A mechanistic account of striatal dopamine function in human cognition: psychopharmacological studies with cabergoline and haloperidolMichael J Frank
Department of Psychology and Program in NeuroscienceUniversity of Arizona, Tucson, AZ 85721, USA
Behav Neurosci 120:497-517. 2006..dopamine function in cognition by administering to healthy participants low doses of D2 agents cabergoline and haloperidol. The model suggests that DA dynamically modulates the balance of Go and No-Go basal ganglia pathways during ..
- Effects of chronic haloperidol and clozapine treatment on neurogenesis in the adult rat hippocampusNader D Halim
Clinical Brain Disorders Branch, Intramural Research Program, National Institute of Mental Health, NIH, Bethesda, MD 20892 1385, USA
Neuropsychopharmacology 29:1063-9. 2004..b>Haloperidol (0.05 and 2 mg/kg), clozapine (0.5 and 20 mg/kg), or vehicle were administered i.p...
- Risperidone and haloperidol promote survival of stem cells in the rat hippocampusGerburg Keilhoff
Institute of Biochemistry and Cell Biology, University of Magdeburg, Leipziger Strasse 44, Magdeburg, Germany
Eur Arch Psychiatry Clin Neurosci 260:151-62. 2010..with ketamine, a validated model of schizophrenia, and whether chronic administration with neuroleptic drugs (haloperidol and risperidone) affect changes of cell genesis/survival. Ketamine per se has no effect on cell proliferation...
- Effects of olanzapine and haloperidol on the metabolic status of healthy menSolrun Vidarsdottir
Department of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Leiden University Medical Center, Leiden, The Netherlands
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 95:118-25. 2010..The aim of this study was to determine the effect of short-term olanzapine (atypical antipsychotic drug) and haloperidol (conventional antipsychotic drug) treatment on glucose and lipid metabolism.
- Quetiapine or haloperidol as monotherapy for bipolar mania--a 12-week, double-blind, randomised, parallel-group, placebo-controlled trialRoger S McIntyre
Mood Disorders Psychopharmacology Unit, University Health Network, University of Toronto, Canada
Eur Neuropsychopharmacol 15:573-85. 2005..randomised to 12 weeks' double-blind treatment with quetiapine (flexibly dosed up to 800 mg/day), placebo, or haloperidol (up to 8 mg/day)...
- Effects of antipsychotic drugs on neurogenesis in the forebrain of the adult ratHui Dong Wang
Departments of Psychiatry and Pharmacology, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville, TN 37212, USA
Neuropsychopharmacology 29:1230-8. 2004..We examined the ability of chronic treatment with the antipsychotic drugs (APDs) olanzapine and haloperidol to increase the number and survival of newly generated cells in the prefrontal cortex (PFC) and striatal ..
- Haloperidol and clozapine decrease S100B release from glial cellsJ Steiner
Department of Psychiatry, University of Magdeburg, Germany
Neuroscience 167:1025-31. 2010..In this study, we explored the effects of the typical antipsychotic haloperidol and the atypical prototype drug clozapine on the release of S100B by astrocytic C6 cells and oligodendrocytic ..
- Haloperidol-loaded PLGA nanoparticles: systematic study of particle size and drug contentAvinash Budhian
Department of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering, University of Pennsylvania, 3231 Walnut St, Philadelphia, PA 19104 6272, United States
Int J Pharm 336:367-75. 2007We have produced haloperidol-loaded PLGA/PLA nanoparticles by using two emulsification-solvent evaporation methods: homogenization and sonication...
- Stoichiometry of tyrosine hydroxylase phosphorylation in the nigrostriatal and mesolimbic systems in vivo: effects of acute haloperidol and related compoundsM F Salvatore
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology and Neuroscience Center of Excellence, Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center, New Orleans, Louisiana, USA
J Neurochem 75:225-32. 2000..In the present studies, the effects of acute haloperidol and related drugs on sitespecific TH phosphorylation stoichiometry (PS) in the nigrostriatal and mesolimbic ..
- Effectiveness of antipsychotic treatments for schizophrenia: interim 6-month analysis from a prospective observational study (IC-SOHO) comparing olanzapine, quetiapine, risperidone, and haloperidolMartin Dossenbach
Eli Lilly Ges m b H, Barichgasse 40 52, Vienna 1030, Austria
J Clin Psychiatry 65:312-21. 2004..The Intercontinental Schizophrenia Outpatient Health Outcomes (IC-SOHO) study was designed to provide information regarding use and outcome of antipsychotic treatments in a large, diverse population in real practice settings...
- Weight gain associated with increased food intake and low habitual activity levels in male adolescent schizophrenic inpatients treated with olanzapineDoron Gothelf
Behavioral Genetic Clinic, Richard E Feinberg Department of Psychiatry, Schneider Children s Medical Center of Israel, Petah Tiqwa
Am J Psychiatry 159:1055-7. 2002..The authors studied weight gain mechanisms and energy balance in patients treated with olanzapine...
- The protective effects of N-n-butyl haloperidol iodide on myocardial ischemia-reperfusion injury in rats by inhibiting Egr-1 overexpressionYanmei Zhang
Department of Pharmacology, Shantou University Medical College, Shantou, Guangdong, China
Cell Physiol Biochem 20:639-48. 2007Our previous studies have shown that N-n-butyl haloperidol iodide (F(2)) can antagonize myocardial ischemia/reperfusion (I/R) injury by blocking intracellular Ca(2+) overload...
- A double-blind, placebo-controlled trial of extract of Ginkgo biloba added to haloperidol in treatment-resistant patients with schizophreniaX Y Zhang
Yale University School of Medicine, Neuropsychopharmacology Lab, New Haven, CT 06520 8066, USA
J Clin Psychiatry 62:878-83. 2001..The aim of this study was to determine the effectiveness and to evaluate the side effects of extract of Ginkgo biloba (EGb) plus haloperidol in chronic, treatment-resistant inpatients with schizophrenia.
- The relationship of clozapine and haloperidol treatment response to prefrontal, hippocampal, and caudate brain volumesCelso Arango
Maryland Psychiatric Research Center, Department of Psychariatry, University of Maryland, MD 21228, USA
Am J Psychiatry 160:1421-7. 2003The study was designed to assess the predictive relationship between brain structure volume and positive and negative symptom response to clozapine and haloperidol.
- Ilex paraguariensis has antioxidant potential and attenuates haloperidol-induced orofacial dyskinesia and memory dysfunction in ratsG Colpo
Departamento de Fisiologia e Farmacologia, Programa de pós graduação em farmacologia Centro de Ciências da Saúde
Neurotox Res 12:171-80. 2007..e., haloperidol-induced orofacial dyskinesia (evaluated measuring vacuous chewing movements, VCMs) and memory dysfunction, ..
- Qualitative changes in ultrasonic vocalization in rats after unilateral dopamine depletion or haloperidol: a preliminary studyMichelle R Ciucci
Department of Communication Sciences and Disorders, University of Texas, Austin, TX 78712, USA
Behav Brain Res 182:284-9. 2007..The purpose of this study is to compare the ultrasonic vocalization (USV) of rats in three conditions: control, haloperidol-induced transient dopamine depletion, and unilateral 6-hydroxydopamine (6-OHDA) induced moderately-severe ..
- Controlling the in vitro release profiles for a system of haloperidol-loaded PLGA nanoparticlesAvinash Budhian
Department of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering, University of Pennsylvania, 3231 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Int J Pharm 346:151-9. 2008..the in vitro drug release profiles for a system of PLGA/PLA nanoparticles encapsulating a hydrophobic drug, haloperidol. We applied our previously developed sonication and homogenization methods to produce haloperidol-loaded PLGA/..
- Neuropsychological change in patients with schizophrenia after treatment with quetiapine or haloperidolS E Purdon
University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alta
J Psychiatry Neurosci 26:137-49. 2001..To assess the efficacy of quetiapine, a recently introduced second generation antipsychotic medication, in reducing cognitive impairment in patients with schizophrenia...
- Prolactin levels in schizophrenia and schizoaffective disorder patients treated with clozapine, olanzapine, risperidone, or haloperidolJan Volavka
Nathan Kline Institute, Orangeburg, NY 10982, USA
J Clin Psychiatry 65:57-61. 2004....
- Double-blind, placebo-controlled comparison of intramuscular olanzapine and intramuscular haloperidol in the treatment of acute agitation in schizophreniaP Wright
Lilly Research Centre, Eli Lilly Company, Surrey, UK
Am J Psychiatry 158:1149-51. 2001OBJECTIVE: The authors evaluated the comparative efficacy and safety of intramuscular olanzapine, intramuscular haloperidol, and intramuscular placebo for the treatment of acute agitation in schizophrenia...
- Effects of N-n-butyl haloperidol iodide on rat myocardial ischemia and reperfusion injury and L-type calcium currentZhan Qin Huang
Department of Pharmacology, Shantou University Medical College, Shantou 515031, China
Acta Pharmacol Sin 24:757-63. 2003To study the effects of N-n-butyl haloperidol iodide (F2) on rat heart ischemia/reperfusion (I/R) injury and L-type calcium current (ICa) in rat ventricular myocytes.
- Modulation of [18F]fluorodopa (FDOPA) kinetics in the brain of healthy volunteers after acute haloperidol challengeIngo Vernaleken
Department of Psychiatry and Psychotherapy, RWTH Aachen University, Aachen, Germany
Neuroimage 30:1332-9. 2006..Therefore, we investigated acute haloperidol effects on DDC activity in humans using [18F]fluorodopa (FDOPA) PET...
- Elevated serum superoxide dismutase and thiobarbituric acid reactive substances in schizophrenia: a study of patients treated with haloperidol or clozapineClarissa Severino Gama
Departamento de Psiquiatria, Hospital de Clínicas de Porto Alegre HCPA, Laboratório de Psiquiatria Experimental Hospital de Clínicas de Porto Alegre, Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul UFRGS, Porto Alegre, Brazil
Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry 30:512-5. 2006..We measured serum SOD and TBARS in two groups of chronic medicated DSM-IV schizophrenic patients, under haloperidol (n = 10) or clozapine (n = 7) and a group of healthy controls (n = 15)...
- Haloperidol- and clozapine-induced oxidative stress in the rat brainManuela Polydoro
Centro de Estudos em Estresse Oxidativo, Departamento de Bioquimica, Instituto de Ciencias Basicas da Saude, Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul, 90035 003 Porto Alegre, RS, Brazil
Pharmacol Biochem Behav 78:751-6. 2004b>Haloperidol (HAL) is a typical neuroleptic that acts primarily as a D2 dopamine receptor antagonist. It has been proposed that reactive oxygen species play a causative role in neurotoxic effects induced by HAL...
- Effect of clozapine, haloperidol, or M100907 on phencyclidine-activated glutamate efflux in the prefrontal cortexB W Adams
Department of Psychiatry, Yale University School of Medicine, Veterans Administration Medical Center, West Haven, Connecticut 06516, USA
Biol Psychiatry 50:750-7. 2001..Here, we examined whether antipsychotic drugs influence this increase. METHODS: The effect of haloperidol, clozapine or the 5-HT(2A) antagonist, M100907, on PCP-induced increase in cortical glutamate efflux was ..
- A randomized controlled trial of olanzapine versus haloperidol in the treatment of primary negative symptoms and neurocognitive deficits in schizophreniaJean Pierre Lindenmayer
Manhattan Psychiatric Center, Psychopharmacology Research Unit, New York, NY 10035, USA
J Clin Psychiatry 68:368-79. 2007..double-blind, controlled study aimed to examine the effects of the atypical antipsychotic olanzapine versus haloperidol on persistent, primary negative symptoms and neurocognitive functions in stable schizophrenic patients with the ..
- Protective effects of N-n-butyl haloperidol iodide on myocardial ischemia-reperfusion injury in rabbitsFen Fei Gao
Department of Pharmacology, Shantou University Medical College, Shantou 515041, PRC
Chin J Physiol 47:61-6. 2004N-n-butyl haloperidol iodide (F2), a novel compound derived from haloperidol, was synthesized by our drugs research lab...
- Withdrawal of haloperidol, thioridazine, and lorazepam in the nursing home: a controlled, double-blind studyJ Cohen-Mansfield
Research Institute of the Hebrew Home of Greater Washington, Rockville, MD 20852, USA
Arch Intern Med 159:1733-40. 1999Ongoing regimens of haloperidol, thioridazine, and lorazepam are commonly administered to manage behavior problems in nursing home residents...
- Risk of lipid abnormality with haloperidol, olanzapine, quetiapine, and risperidone in a Veterans Affairs populationErica J Duncan
Mental Health Service, Atlanta VA Medical Center, GA 30033, USA
Int Clin Psychopharmacol 24:204-13. 2009..For each patient, the first prescription for at least 60 continuous days for four antipsychotics [haloperidol (HALD), olanzapine (OLANZ), quetiapine (QUET), or risperidone (RISP)] was analyzed for total cholesterol, low-..
- Efficacy and tolerability of switching to ziprasidone from olanzapine, risperidone or haloperidol: an international, multicenter studyKoksal Alptekin
Department of Psychiatry, Dokuz Eylul University School of Medicine, Balcova Izmir, Turkey
Int Clin Psychopharmacol 24:229-38. 2009To compare the effectiveness of a switch from haloperidol (N=99), olanzapine (N=82), or risperidone (N=104) to 12 weeks of treatment with 80-160 mg/day ziprasidone in patients with stable schizophrenia or schizoaffective disorder...
- Differential effects of amisulpride and haloperidol on dopamine D2 receptor-mediated signaling in SH-SY5Y cellsSung Woo Park
Paik Institute for Clinical Research, Inje University, Busan, Republic of Korea
Neuropharmacology 61:761-9. 2011..Amisulpride, an atypical antipsychotic drug, and haloperidol, a typical antipsychotic drug, are both potent D(2)R antagonists, but their therapeutic effects differ...
- Effects of risperidone and haloperidol on superoxide dismutase and nitric oxide in schizophreniaXiang Yang Zhang
Institute of Mental Health, Peking University, Beijing, PR China
Neuropharmacology 62:1928-34. 2012..schizophrenia were randomly assigned to 12 weeks of treatment with 6 mg/day of risperidone or 20 mg/day of haloperidol using a double-blind design. Clinical efficacy was determined using the Positive and Negative Syndrome Scale...
- Haloperidol-induced torsade de pointesJ M O'Brien
Department of Pharmacy, Grant Medical Center, Columbus, OH 43215, USA
Ann Pharmacother 33:1046-50. 1999To report a case of torsade de pointes related to the administration of high-dose intravenous haloperidol for the treatment of severe agitation.
- Effects of microinjections of apomorphine and haloperidol into the inferior colliculus on the latent inhibition of the conditioned emotional responseLiana L Melo
Laboratorio de Neuropsicofarmacologia, Universidade São Francisco, Braganca Paulista, SP, Brazil
Exp Neurol 216:16-21. 2009..0 microg/0.5 microL/side), or the dopaminergic antagonist haloperidol (0.5 microg/0.5 microL/side) before both pre-exposure and conditioning...
- Haloperidol regulates the state of phosphorylation of ribosomal protein S6 via activation of PKA and phosphorylation of DARPP-32Emmanuel Valjent
Department of Neuroscience, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
Neuropsychopharmacology 36:2561-70. 2011Administration of typical antipsychotic drugs, such as haloperidol, promotes cAMP-dependent signaling in the medium spiny neurons (MSNs) of the striatum...
- Glutamatergic neurotransmission mediated by NMDA receptors in the inferior colliculus can modulate haloperidol-induced catalepsyL L Melo
Laboratorio de Neuropsicofarmacologia, Universidade São Francisco, Av São Francisco de Assis, 218, Braganca Paulista, SP, 12916 900, Brasil
Brain Res 1349:41-7. 2010..excitatory amino acid-mediated mechanisms in the IC on the catalepsy induced by the dopamine receptor blocker haloperidol administered systemically (1 or 0.5 mg/kg) in rats...
- A 6-month, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled pilot discontinuation trial following response to haloperidol treatment of psychosis and agitation in Alzheimer's diseaseD P Devanand
Division of Geriatric Psychiatry, New York State Psychiatric Institute, College of Physicians and Surgeons, Columbia University, NY, USA
Int J Geriatr Psychiatry 26:937-43. 2011In patients with Alzheimer's disease (AD) with psychosis or agitation that respond to haloperidol treatment, to evaluate the risk of relapse following discontinuation.
- Comparison of effects of haloperidol administration on amphetamine-stimulated dopamine release in the rat medial prefrontal cortex and dorsal striatumE A Pehek
Department of Psychiatry, Case Western Reserve University, and Cleveland Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Brecksville, Ohio, USA
J Pharmacol Exp Ther 289:14-23. 1999..The responses to D2 antagonist (haloperidol) administration, which has been shown to increase impulse-dependent dopamine release, were compared...
- A post hoc analysis of negative symptoms and psychosocial function in patients with schizophrenia: a 40-week randomized, double-blind study of ziprasidone versus haloperidol followed by a 3-year double-blind extension trialStephen M Stahl
Department of Psychiatry, University of California, San Diego, CA 92093 9116 A, USA
J Clin Psychopharmacol 30:425-30. 2010..twice a day, mean modal dose of 112 mg/d; and 80-120 mg/d given every day, mean modal dose of 96 mg/d) versus haloperidol (5-20 mg/d, mean modal dose of 12 mg/d) in a randomized, 40-week, double-blind study, followed by a double-..
- Sertindole in the long-term treatment of schizophreniaAnthony S Hale
St Martin s Hospital, Canterbury, UK
Int Clin Psychopharmacol 27:231-7. 2012..Upon completion of an 8-week, haloperidol-referenced randomized clinical trial with sertindole, patients were offered sertindole maintenance treatment up ..
- N-n-butyl haloperidol iodide protects cardiac microvascular endothelial cells from hypoxia/reoxygenation injury by down-regulating Egr-1 expressionYanqiong Zhou
Department of Pharmacology, Shantou University Medical College, Shantou, PR China
Cell Physiol Biochem 26:839-48. 2010Our previous studies have shown that N-n-butyl haloperidol iodide (F2) can antagonize myocardial ischemia/reperfusion (I/R) injury by down-regulating the early growth response (Egr)-1 expression, but the molecular mechanisms are not well ..
- The dose-dependent effect of chronic administration of haloperidol, risperidone, and quetiapine on sexual behavior in the male ratXiang Rong Zhang
Neuropsychiatric Research Institute, School of Clinical Medicine, Southeast University, Nanjing, China
J Sex Med 8:3345-53. 2011..Up to date, there is still a scarcity of basic research regarding the chronic effects of most antipsychotic agents on sexual behavior...
- Gene networks and haloperidol-induced catalepsyO D Iancu
Department of Behavioral Neuroscience, Oregon Health and Science University, Portland, OR, USA
Genes Brain Behav 11:29-37. 2012..in striatal gene network structure induced by short-term selective breeding from a heterogeneous stock for haloperidol response. Brain (striatum) gene expression data were obtained using the Illumina WG 8...
- The vacuous chewing movement (VCM) model of tardive dyskinesia revisited: is there a relationship to dopamine D(2) receptor occupancy?Peter Turrone
Institute of Medical Science, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ont, Canada
Neurosci Biobehav Rev 26:361-80. 2002..of VCMs would decrease with lower antipsychotic doses, we conducted initial experiments with different doses of haloperidol (HAL) given either as repeated daily injections or as depot injections over the course of several weeks...
- Clozapine-, but not haloperidol-, induced increases in deltaFosB-like immunoreactivity are completely blocked in the striatum of mice lacking D3 dopamine receptorsGeorge S Robertson
Department of Psychiatry, Sir Charles Tupper Medical Building, 5850 College Street, Halifax, Nova Scotia B3H 1X5, Canada
Eur J Neurosci 20:3189-94. 2004..evidence, we have proposed that D3 receptor antagonism plays a role in the mediation of clozapine-, but not haloperidol-, induced immediate-early gene expression in the striatum...
- Relapse in patients with schizophrenia: a comparison between risperidone and haloperidolEduardo Pondé de Sena
University Hospital Prof Edgard Santos, Federal University of Bahia, Salvador, BA, Brazil
Rev Bras Psiquiatr 25:220-3. 2003To compare rates of rehospitalization and time to relapse in risperidone vs. haloperidol-treated schizophrenic patients discharged from the hospital.
- Docosahexaenoic acid reduces haloperidol-induced dyskinesias in mice: involvement of Nur77 and retinoid receptorsIsabelle Ethier
Neuroscience Unit, CHUL Research Center, Quebec, Canada
Biol Psychiatry 56:522-6. 2004..Recent evidence suggests that Nur77 (nerve growth factor-induced B) and retinoids are involved in biochemical and behavioral effects of antipsychotic drugs associated with striatal functions...
- Comparison of intramuscular olanzapine, orally disintegrating olanzapine tablets, oral risperidone solution, and intramuscular haloperidol in the management of acute agitation in an acute care psychiatric ward in TaiwanWen Yu Hsu
Department of Psychiatry, Lu Tung Branch of Changhua ChristianHospital, Lukang, Taiwan
J Clin Psychopharmacol 30:230-4. 2010The purpose of this study was to compare efficacy and safety among intramuscular olanzapine, intramuscular haloperidol, orally disintegrating olanzapine tablets, and oral risperidone solution for agitated patients with psychosis during ..
- Aripiprazole versus haloperidol in combination with clozapine for treatment-resistant schizophrenia in routine clinical care: a randomized, controlled trialCorrado Barbui
World Health Organization Collaborating Centre for Research and Training in Mental Health and Service Organization, Department of Public Health and Community Medicine, Section of Psychiatry and Clinical Psychology, Verona, Italy
J Clin Psychopharmacol 31:266-73. 2011..of combination treatment with clozapine plus aripiprazole versus combination treatment with clozapine plus haloperidol in patients with schizophrenia who do not have an optimal response to clozapine...
- A 4-week, double-blind comparison of olanzapine with haloperidol in the treatment of amphetamine psychosisThawatchai Leelahanaj
Department of Psychiatry and Neurology, Phramongkutklao Hospital, Bangkok, Thiland
J Med Assoc Thai 88:S43-52. 2005To compare the efficacy and tolerability of olanzapines and haloperidol in treating patients with amphetamine psychosis.
- Effect of 5-HT1B/D receptor agonist and antagonist administration on motor function in haloperidol and MPTP-treated common marmosetsMichael J Jackson
Neurodegenerative Diseases Research Centre, Guy s King s and St Thomas School of Biomedical Science, King s College, London, SE1 1UL, UK
Pharmacol Biochem Behav 79:391-400. 2004..and a selective 5-HT(1B) receptor antagonist on akinesia induced in marmosets by long-term treatment with haloperidol and on motor disability and l-3, 4-dihydroxyphenylalanine (L-DOPA)-induced dyskinesia in 1-methyl-4-phenyl-1,2,..
- Risperidone liquid concentrate and oral lorazepam versus intramuscular haloperidol and intramuscular lorazepam for treatment of psychotic agitationG W Currier
Department of Psychiatry, University of Rochester, NY 14642, USA
J Clin Psychiatry 62:153-7. 2001..study was to determine the relative efficacy, safety, and tolerability of oral risperidone versus intramuscular haloperidol, both in combination with lorazepam, for the emergency treatment of psychotic agitation in patients who are ..
- Differential actions of adenosine A1 and A2A antagonists on the effort-related effects of dopamine D2 antagonismJohn D Salamone
Division of Behavioral Neuroscience, Department of Psychology, University of Connecticut, Storrs, CT 06269 1020, USA
Behav Brain Res 201:216-22. 2009..adenosine A(1) receptor selective antagonist DPCPX, to reverse the behavioral effects of the DA D(2) antagonist haloperidol. For these studies, a concurrent choice procedure was used in which rats could select between lever pressing on ..
- Haloperidol and clozapine differentially affect the expression of arrestins, receptor kinases, and extracellular signal-regulated kinase activationMohamed Rafiuddin Ahmed
Department of Pharmacology, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Preston Research Building, Room 422, Nashville, TN 37232, USA
J Pharmacol Exp Ther 325:276-83. 2008..We elucidated changes in expression of two arrestins and four GRKs following chronic (21 days) treatment with haloperidol (1 mg/kg i.p.) or clozapine (20 mg/kg i.p.) 2 or 24 h after the last injection in 11 brain regions...
- Haloperidol prophylaxis decreases delirium incidence in elderly patients after noncardiac surgery: a randomized controlled trial*Wei Wang
Department of Anesthesiology and Surgical Intensive Care, Peking University First Hospital, Beijing, China
Crit Care Med 40:731-9. 2012To evaluate the efficacy and safety of short-term low-dose intravenous haloperidol for delirium prevention in critically ill elderly patients after noncardiac surgery.
- Weight gain, serum leptin and triglyceride levels in patients with schizophrenia on antipsychotic treatment with quetiapine, olanzapine and haloperidolMurad Atmaca
Schizophr Res 60:99-100. 2003
- Oxytocin injected into the ventral tegmental area induces penile erection and increases extracellular dopamine in the nucleus accumbens and paraventricular nucleus of the hypothalamus of male ratsMaria Rosaria Melis
Bernard B Brodie Department of Neuroscience, University of Cagliari, S P Sestu Monserrato, Monserrato, Italy
Eur J Neurosci 26:1026-35. 2007..1 microg), an oxytocin receptor antagonist injected into the same caudal ventral tegmental area or of haloperidol (1 microg), a dopamine receptor antagonist, injected either into the nucleus accumbens shell (NAs) or into the ..
- A randomized, controlled comparison of the efficacy and tolerability of low and high doses of haloperidol in the treatment of first-episode psychosisPiet Oosthuizen
Department of Psychiatry, University of Stellenbosch, Cape Town, South Africa
Int J Neuropsychopharmacol 7:125-31. 2004While haloperidol is still widely used in the treatment of psychoses, the optimal daily dose remains a topic of controversy, particularly in first-episode psychosis...
- Voltage-gated sodium channel modulation by sigma-receptors in cardiac myocytes and heterologous systemsMolly Johannessen
Dept of Physiology, University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health, Madison, WI 53706, USA
Am J Physiol Cell Physiol 296:C1049-57. 2009..The sigma(1)-receptor ligands [SKF-10047 and (+)-pentazocine] and sigma(1)/sigma(2)-receptor ligands (haloperidol and ditolylguanidine) all reversibly inhibited Na(v)1...
- A comparison of olanzapine with haloperidol in cannabis-induced psychotic disorder: a double-blind randomized controlled trialM Berk
Department of Psychiatry, University of the Witwatersrand Medical School, Parktown, South Africa
Int Clin Psychopharmacol 14:177-80. 1999..DSM-IV criteria for cannabis induced psychotic disorder were randomly allocated to receive either olanzapine or haloperidol in a 4-week double-blind clinical trial...
- Adenosine A2A receptor antagonism and genetic deletion attenuate the effects of dopamine D2 antagonism on effort-based decision making in miceM Pardo
Area de Psicobiologia, Campus de Riu Sec, Universitat Jaume I, 12071 Castello, Spain
Neuropharmacology 62:2068-77. 2012..The DA D(2) receptor antagonist haloperidol decreased selection of the HD arm and increased selection of the arm with the low density of reinforcement...
- The effects of neuropsychiatric drugs on glycogen synthase kinase-3 signalingL P Sutton
Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology, University of Western Ontario and the London Health Sciences Centre, London, ON, Canada
Neuroscience 199:116-24. 2011..Consequently, the current study examined the effects of antipsychotics (haloperidol and clozapine), mood stabilizers (lithium and valproic acid), and antidepressants (imipramine and fluoxetine) ..
- Effect of antipsychotic drugs on brain morphometry. A randomized controlled one-year follow-up study of haloperidol, risperidone and olanzapineBenedicto Crespo-Facorro
University Hospital Marques de Valdecilla, Department of Psychiatry, School of Medicine, University of Cantabria, Santander, Spain
Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry 32:1936-43. 2008..Here we investigate the effects of risperidone, olanzapine and low doses of haloperidol on cortical and subcortical morphometry in first episode drug naïve patients with non-affective psychosis.
- Atypical neuroleptics stimulate neurogenesis in adult rat brainChandramohan G Wakade
Institute of Molecular Medicine and Genetics, Medical College of Georgia, Augusta, Georgia 30912, USA
J Neurosci Res 69:72-9. 2002..subventricular zone (SVZa) particularly in rats treated with the atypical neuroleptics but not in those in the haloperidol-treated and control rats, suggests increased rostral migratory stream (RMS) cell traffic to replenish neurons ..
- Effect of chronic haloperidol treatment on synaptic protein mRNAs in the rat brainT Nakahara
Department of Chemistry, Faculty of Science, Kyushu University, Ropponmatsu, Fukuoka 810 8560, Japan
Brain Res Mol Brain Res 61:238-42. 1998Chronic haloperidol treatment caused significant decreases in the levels of synaptotagmin I and IV, synaptobrevin II, syntaxin 1A and Rab 3A mRNAs in the nucleus accumbens but not in the prefrontal cortex medial field, striatum, ..
- The adenosine A2A antagonist KF17837 reverses the locomotor suppression and tremulous jaw movements induced by haloperidol in rats: possible relevance to parkinsonismM Correa
Department of Psychology, University of Connecticut, Storrs, CT 06269 1020, USA
Behav Brain Res 148:47-54. 2004..KF17837 on the behavioral effects produced by repeated administration of the dopamine (DA) antagonist haloperidol. In the first two experiments, it was shown that repeated 0...
- The impact of antipsychotic drugs on food intake and body weight and on leptin levels in blood and hypothalamic ob-r leptin receptor expression in wistar ratsMartina von Wilmsdorff
LVR Klinikum Düsseldorf, Kliniken der Heinrich Heine Universität, Dusseldorf, Germany
Clinics (Sao Paulo) 65:885-94. 2010..The aim of our study was to investigate the impact of typical and atypical antipsychotic drugs on leptin concentration in blood and changes in the receptor expression in the hypothalamus of male Wistar rats...
- Cystamine prevents haloperidol-induced decrease of BDNF/TrkB signaling in mouse frontal cortexAnilkumar Pillai
Department of Psychiatry and Health Behavior, Medical College of Georgia, Medical Research Service, Augusta, Georgia 30904, USA
J Neurochem 107:941-51. 2008..Earlier studies from our laboratory have indicated that long-term treatment with haloperidol (HAL) decreases BDNF, reduced GSH and anti-apoptotic marker, Bcl-xl protein levels and increases the expression ..
- Risperidone, haloperidol, and placebo in the treatment of aggressive challenging behaviour in patients with intellectual disability: a randomised controlled trialPeter Tyrer
Department of Psychological Medicine, Imperial College, London, UK
Lancet 371:57-63. 2008..However, no adequate evidence base for this practice exists. We compared flexible doses of haloperidol (a typical, first-generation antipsychotic drug), risperidone (an atypical, second-generation antipsychotic), ..
- The effects of dopamine and D2 receptor antagonists on pituitary hormone secretion are intact in mice lacking dopamine D2L receptorRong Xu
Department of Pharmacology, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Brain Res 939:95-9. 2002..In addition, the antipsychotic drugs haloperidol and clozapine induced a similar dose-dependent increase in serum prolactin in both D2L-/- and wild-type mice...
- Effect of rivastigmine as an adjunct to usual care with haloperidol on duration of delirium and mortality in critically ill patients: a multicentre, double-blind, placebo-controlled randomised trialMaarten M J Van Eijk
Department of Intensive Care Medicine, University Medical Centre, Utrecht, Netherlands
Lancet 376:1829-37. 2010..Impaired cholinergic neurotransmission seems to have an important role in the development of delirium. We aimed to establish the effect of the cholinesterase inhibitor rivastigmine on the duration of delirium in critically ill patients...
- Interactive effects of subanesthetic ketamine and haloperidol in healthy humansJ H Krystal
Department of Psychiatry, Yale University School of Medicine, Connecticut, USA
Psychopharmacology (Berl) 145:193-204. 1999..This study evaluated whether the oral administration of haloperidol 5 mg would block the effects of an intravenous ketamine infusion (bolus of 0.26 mg/kg followed by 0...
- Effectiveness and cost of olanzapine and haloperidol in the treatment of schizophrenia: a randomized controlled trialRobert Rosenheck
Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Center, West Haven, Conn, USA
JAMA 290:2693-702. 2003..Although olanzapine has been widely adopted as a treatment of choice for schizophrenia, its long-term effectiveness and costs have not been evaluated in a controlled trial in comparison with a standard antipsychotic drug...
- Differential effects of methamphetamine and haloperidol on the control of an internal clockCatalin V Buhusi
Department of Psychological and Brain Sciences, Duke University Durham, North Carolina 27708 0086, USA
Behav Neurosci 116:291-7. 2002..have to filter out the gaps that (sometimes) interrupted timing, the authors found that methamphetamine and haloperidol also affect the stop and reset mechanism of the internal clock, possibly by modulating attentional components ..
- Feasibility, efficacy, and safety of antipsychotics for intensive care unit delirium: the MIND randomized, placebo-controlled trialTimothy D Girard
Department of Medicine, Division of Allergy, Pulmonary, and Critical Care Medicine, Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, Nashville, TN, USA
Crit Care Med 38:428-37. 2010..To demonstrate the feasibility of a placebo-controlled trial of antipsychotics for delirium in the intensive care unit and to test the hypothesis that antipsychotics would improve days alive without delirium or coma...
- Efficacy and safety of asenapine in a placebo- and haloperidol-controlled trial in patients with acute exacerbation of schizophreniaJohn M Kane
Department of Psychiatry, Zucker Hillside Hospital, Glen Oaks, NY 11004, USA
J Clin Psychopharmacol 30:106-15. 2010..assigned to fixed-dose treatment with asenapine at 5 mg twice daily (BID), asenapine at 10 mg BID, placebo, or haloperidol at 4 mg BID (to verify assay sensitivity)...
- Association of dopamine D3-receptor gene variants with neuroleptic induced akathisia in schizophrenic patients: a generalization of Steen's study on DRD3 and tardive dyskinesiaP Eichhammer
Department of Psychiatry, University of Regensburg, Regensburg, Germany
Am J Med Genet 96:187-91. 2000..9% incidence of AA in schizophrenic patients nonhomozygous for the 2-2 allele (exact P = 0.0223). Am. J. Med. Genet. (Neuropsychiatr. Genet.) 96:187-191, 2000...
- Symptomatic remission in schizophrenia patients treated with aripiprazole or haloperidol for up to 52 weeksJohn M Kane
The Zucker Hillside Hospital, 75 59 263 St, Glen Oaks, NY 11004, USA
Schizophr Res 95:143-50. 2007..This analysis examined symptomatic remission in acutely ill patients with schizophrenia receiving either aripiprazole or haloperidol for one year.
- Factors influencing acute weight change in patients with schizophrenia treated with olanzapine, haloperidol, or risperidoneB R Basson
Lilly Research Laboratories, Eli Lilly and Company, Lilly Corporate Center, Indianapolis, Ind 46285, USA
J Clin Psychiatry 62:231-8. 2001..and related disorders during acute treatment with the antipsychotic drugs olanzapine, risperidone, and haloperidol were sought through retrospective analyses...
- Coregulation of genes in the mouse brain following treatment with clozapine, haloperidol, or olanzapine implicates altered potassium channel subunit expression in the mechanism of antipsychotic drug actionCarlotta E Duncan
Neuroscience Research Program, Garvan Institute, Sydney, Australia
Psychiatr Genet 18:226-39. 2008..Antipsychotic drugs are the most effective treatment for the psychotic symptoms of schizophrenia, yet their mechanism of action remains largely unknown...
- Activation of the canonical Wnt pathway by the antipsychotics haloperidol and clozapine involves dishevelled-3Laurie P Sutton
Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology, The University of Western Ontario, London, Ontario, Canada
J Neurochem 102:153-69. 2007..Wnt signalling proteins were investigated to determine if they are altered by the antipsychotics clozapine or haloperidol in the rat prefrontal cortex...
- A comparison of risperidone and haloperidol for the prevention of relapse in patients with schizophreniaJohn G Csernansky
Washington University School of Medicine and Metropolitan St Louis Psychiatric Center, St Louis 63110 1081, USA
N Engl J Med 346:16-22. 2002..performed a long-term comparison of a newer, atypical antipsychotic drug, risperidone, and an older, conventional neuroleptic drug, haloperidol, in terms of the rate of relapse in patients with schizophrenia and schizoaffective disorder.
- Loss of glial glutamate and aspartate transporter (excitatory amino acid transporter 1) causes locomotor hyperactivity and exaggerated responses to psychotomimetics: rescue by haloperidol and metabotropic glutamate 2/3 agonistRose Marie Karlsson
Laboratory for Clinical and Translational Studies, National Institute on Alcoholism and Alcohol Abuse, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
Biol Psychiatry 64:810-4. 2008....
- Tyrosine Availability Influences Mesocortico-Limbic CatecholaminesGEORGE EUGENE JASKIW; Fiscal Year: 2012..Drugs administered will include clozapine and haloperidol, medications used for the treatment of schizophrenia...
- Genetics and Haloperidol ResponseRobert J Hitzemann; Fiscal Year: 2012DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): The main objective of the research supported by "Genetics and Haloperidol Response" is to understand the factors associated with the genetic variation in haloperidol-response...
- PET Imaging Agent for Diabetes MellitusJOGESH MUKHERJEE; Fiscal Year: 2010..18F-Fallypride binds to pancreas sections and isolated islet cells and is competed off by haloperidol, a D2/D3 inhibitor, indicating specific binding...
- Pharmacological Management of DeliriumMalaz Boustani; Fiscal Year: 2013..in the use of benzodiazepines and anticholinergics, along with the use of low dose neuroleptics such as haloperidol. However, there have been no randomized controlled trials evaluating the efficacy of such a pharmacological ..
- Aging and Antipsychotic Efficacy - Epigenetic MechanismsHongxin Dong; Fiscal Year: 2013..To test our hypotheses, young (3-month old) and aged (24-month old) mice will be treated with haloperidol (HAL, a typical) or clozapine (CLZ, an atypical) alone or in combination with the HDAC1-specific inhibitor ..
- The MIND USA StudyE Wesley Ely; Fiscal Year: 2012..b>Haloperidol, the most commonly chosen antipsychotic, is used by over 80% of ICU doctors for delirium, while atypical ..
- Convergent Versus Parallel Striatal AfferentsDaniel S Zahm; Fiscal Year: 2013..robust locomotion was attenuated but not abolished by systemic injections of the dopamine receptor antagonist haloperidol, suggesting a significant independence of the response from dopamine neurotransmission...
- Impaired attention &hippocampal dysfunction in developing abnormal avoidanceKevin C H Pang; Fiscal Year: 2012..Aim 3 will assess whether the antipsychotic drug haloperidol can restore attention and prevent the development of abnormal avoidance in SD with hippocampal dysfunction and ..
- Effect of chronic antipsychotic medication administration on cocaine poisoningKENNON JAMES HEARD; Fiscal Year: 2010..transporter density in mice treated for 28 days with continuous infusions of clinically relevant APMs (haloperidol, clozapine, ziprasidone, and aripiprazole) or placebo...
- Neurotensin Analogs For Neurocognitive Deficits In SchizophreniaAdam Prus; Fiscal Year: 2009..g., haloperidol)...
- Role of transcription factors in the action of antipsychotic drugsSAMUEL NEWTON SATHYANESAN; Fiscal Year: 2010..Conventional, typical antipsychotics such as haloperidol are useful in treating the symptoms but do not improve cognitive impairment and exhibit undesirable side ..
- Endogenous Kynurenic Acid Modulates Prefrontal ACh Levels and Cognitive BehaviorRobert Schwarcz; Fiscal Year: 2013..These chronic effects will be evaluated both in control animals and in rats treated with typical (haloperidol) or atypical (clozapine) neuroleptic drugs in combination with an adjunctive therapy targeting the 17nAChR with ..
- Understanding the Impact of Antipsychotic Drugs on Recovery After TBIAnthony E Kline; Fiscal Year: 2013..e., once daily administration for 19 days) of the APDs haloperidol (HAL) and risperidone (RISP) negatively impact motor and cognitive function after TBI in rats...
- PATHOLOGY IN POSTMORTEM SCHIZOPHRENIC BASAL GANGLIAROSALINDA CUSIDO ROBERTS; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Preventing ICU Subsyndromal Delirium Conversion to Delirium with HaloperidolJohn W Devlin; Fiscal Year: 2010..data from our research group suggest that ICU patients with subsyndromal delirium who are exposed to haloperidol are more likely to remain in subsydromal delirium and not progress to delirium...
- Effects of Clopazine and haloperidol on respondingDanielle Gulick; Fiscal Year: 2010..antipsychotic clozapine (CLOZ) dramatically decreases alcohol consumption but the typical antipsychotic haloperidol (HAL) does not...
- PHENCYCLIDINE: A BEHAVIORAL AND NEUROCHEMICAL STUDYHerbert Meltzer; Fiscal Year: 1980..Withdrawal from chronic administration of haloperidol resulted in enhancement of the locomotion and ataxia produced by PCP...
- NEUROTRANSMITTERS AND VENTILATORY CONTROLEARL OLSON; Fiscal Year: 1990..Selected CNS dopamine antogonists (i.p. haloperidol; i.c.v...
- Early Intervention in a mouse model of NMDA hypofunctionSheryl S Moy; Fiscal Year: 2012..Results will be compared with chronic haloperidol treatment, to determine if the atypical drugs have differential efficacy against changes in the NR1 hypomorphic ..
- Development of A Novel Animal Model of Tardive DyskinesiaAbraham Kovoor; Fiscal Year: 2010..hyperkinetic abnormal involuntary movements (AIMs) resembling TD after only three days of treatment with haloperidol, a typical antipsychotic drug...
- AUTORECEPTOR REGULATION OF DOPAMINE RELEASEGreg Gerhardt; Fiscal Year: 1991..pergolide and quinpirole; the D1 selective dopamine agonist SKF 38393; the non- selective dopamine antagonist, haloperidol; the D2 selective agonists, sulpiride, the D1 selective antagonist, Schering 23390 and the dopamine releasing ..
- Anxiolytic Property of Atypical AntipsychoticsMing Li; Fiscal Year: 2009..Aim 1 is to identify behavioral effects of repeated haloperidol (typical), risperidone, olanzapine (atypical), chlordiazepoxide (anxiolytic), citalopram (antidepressant with ..
- Immune Tolerance; Sigma Receptor as a Therapeutic TargetVadivel Ganapathy; Fiscal Year: 2003..Sigma 1 receptor is defined as a specific binding site for various psychoactive drugs such as haloperidol and pentazocine. This receptor has been recently cloned and characterized...
- MECHANISMS OF CARDIOTOXICITY OF ANTIPSYCHOTIC DRUGSDavid Flockhart; Fiscal Year: 2001..Since the investigators have preliminary data that indicate that haloperidol can slow cardiac repolarization in vitro, the focus of our studies in the first year will be on this widely-..
- CYTOCHROME P450 DEPENDENT METABOLISM OF DRUGS IN BRAINHENRY STROBEL; Fiscal Year: 2000..to define the catalytic activity toward drugs used as therapeutic agents for brain diseases - chlorpromazine, haloperidol, ethosuximide, phenytoin and imipramine - exhibited by expressed recombinant proteins of the newly cloned brain ..
- DRUGS OF ABUSE, DOPAMINE & CONTROL BY BRAIN PEPTIDESBARTLEY HOEBEL; Fiscal Year: 1991..Systemic haloperidol to block DA receptors caused an acute rise in extracellular DA, but after chronic treatment, DA decreased in ..
- BASAL GANGLIA GENE EXPRESSION AND MOVEMENT DISORDERSKalpana Merchant; Fiscal Year: 1993..striatal neurons were observed after chronic blockade of dopamine transmission by the typical APD, haloperidol, or 6-hydroxydopamine...
- HALOPERIDOL AND ATTENTIONAL LEARNING IN AUTISTIC CHILDREMagda Campbell; Fiscal Year: 1991..Alternative treatments to haloperidol, the most commonly used medication with autistic children who require pharmacotherapy, are sought because of ..
- PARTIAL DOPAMINEAGONIST TREATMENT OF SCHIZOPHRENIACarol Tamminga; Fiscal Year: 2002..The strategy of combining a small proporb'on of a full antagonist (e.g. haloperidol or clozopine) with the partial agonist (-)-3PPP, to produce a functionally lower intrinsic activity of (-)-3PPP,..
- NEUROBIOLOGY AND TREATMENT OF OCDWayne Goodman; Fiscal Year: 1999..That classic neuroleptics such as haloperidol can suppress tics provides indirect support for a role of brain dopamine in the pathophysiology of TS...
- GABA AGONIST THERAPY IN TARDIVE DYSKINESIACarol Tamminga; Fiscal Year: 1999..to date have led us to formulate a "working" hypothesis of neuroleptic-induced dyskinesia pathophysiology in haloperidol treated animals...
- O-RECEPTOR PSYCHOTOMIMETICS: ACTIONS ON SINGLE NEURONSJohn Williams; Fiscal Year: 1992..Compounds that have high affinity for this site such as haloperidol, phenothiazines and even SKF10047, have interactions with other receptors making it difficult to accurately ..
- NT69L: a potential, novel antischizophrenic drugElliott Richelson; Fiscal Year: 2009..21 daily injections (subchronic treatment) of NT69L;2) Compare the effects of the typical antipsychotic drug haloperidol and the atypical antipsychotic drug clozapine with those of NT69L on the reversal of drug-induced disruption of ..
- PHARMACOLOGICAL MANAGEMENT OF AIDS DELIRIUMWilliam Breitbart; Fiscal Year: 1991..The drug of choice in treating delirium in the medically ill is haloperidol, a high potency neuroleptic...
- Sigma Receptor Structure /Function /K+ Channel ModulationARNOLD RUOHO; Fiscal Year: 2007..it is believed to mediate the immunosuppressant, antipsychotic, and neuroprotective effects of drugs, such as haloperidol, ditolylguanidine (DTG), pentazocine, and cocaine...
- ANTIPSYCHOTIC TREATMENT IN LATE LIFE SCHIZOPHRENIAJonathan Lacro; Fiscal Year: 2001..double-blind, parallel group study for 1 2 weeks) the most commonly described "typical" antipsychotic, haloperidol, with the most commonly prescribed "atypical" antipsychotic, risperidone, in older patients with schizophrenia...
- ATTENTION, WORKING MEMORY AND ANTIPSYCHOTICS USING FMRISandra Kindermann; Fiscal Year: 2003..geriatric psychiatry and brain imaging. The research plan compares the effects across time of haloperidol compared to risperidone on brain systems involved in selective attention and working memory, therapeutic ..
- ANTIPSYCHOTICS AND RECEPTOR DESENSITIZATION MACHINERYEugenia Gurevich; Fiscal Year: 2002..specific aim focuses on comparison of the effects of acute and subchronic treatment with typical antipsychotic haloperidol and atypical drug clozapine on the expression of arrestin and GRK mRNAs and proteins in various brain areas ..
- Mechanical Ventilation and DeliriumEric Milbrandt; Fiscal Year: 2009..evaluated the current national guidelines that call for routine delirium screening and treatment with haloperidol, nor examined the contribution of brain injury and impaired central cholinergic transmission to the development ..
- SMOKING, SCHIZOPHRENIA, AND ATYPICAL ANTIPSYCHOTICSJoseph McEvoy; Fiscal Year: 1999..that the amount patients smoke increases significantly during pharmacotherapy with the typical antipsychotic haloperidol, but decreases significantly when patients switch from haloperidol to pharmacotherapy with atypical ..
- SIGMA RECEPTORS & PSYCHOTOMIMETIC DRUG ACTIONCharles Chavkin; Fiscal Year: 1993..g. N-allyl-normetazocine and cyclazocine) also have hallucinogenic effects and also because haloperidol (an important antipsychotic phenothiazine) has a very high affinity for the sigma receptor...
- ULTRASTRUCTURE OF MESOLIMBIC TRANSMITTER INTERACTIONSVIRGINIA PICKEL; Fiscal Year: 2007..brain tissue from[unreadable] normal adult rats and from animals receiving chronic treatment with[unreadable] haloperidol, a typical antipsychotic drug that blocks dopamine D2[unreadable] receptors...
- STUDIES ON SIGMA RECEPTORS AND THEIR LIGANDSEckard Weber; Fiscal Year: 1993DESCRIPTION (Adapted from the Applicant's Abstract): Sigma receptors are high affinity binding sites for haloperidol and other antipsychotic drugs...
- EVALUATION OF PCP AND SIGMA EFFECTS ON DA PHYSIOLOGYArthur Freeman; Fiscal Year: 1992..the excitatory amino acid N-methyl-d-aspartate at a site designated the "PCP receptor," and also interacts with haloperidol-sensitive sigma binding sites ("sigma receptors")...
- EFFECTS OF ACUTE BENZODIAZEPINE GROWING WITH TIMESEYMOUR ANTELMAN; Fiscal Year: 1990..of the same dose readministered two weeks later; 2) one injection of diazepam significantly sensitizes both haloperidol catalepsy and ptosis two weeks but not two hours later; 3) a single injection of saline 1 month earlier ..
- ALTERED SEROTONIN SIGNAL TRANSDUCTION IN DYSKINESIASWilliam Wolf; Fiscal Year: 2000..Antipsychotics, such as haloperidol, are widely used in the treatment of schizophrenia and in agitated elderly patients...
- ACUTE MANIA--HALOPERIDOL DOSE AND LORAZEPAM AUGMENTATIONJames Chou; Fiscal Year: 1993..A global objective of our work is to describe the lowest effective haloperidol (HAL) dose for acute mania...
- SIGMA RECEPTOR SPECIFIC RADIOPHARM FOR IMAGING TUMORSChristy John; Fiscal Year: 1999..from four patients) showed a high affinity, saturable, dose dependent binding with sigma ligands such as haloperidol and IBP's...
- Sustained Release OlanzapineThomas Smith; Fiscal Year: 2004..with long-acting, injectable preparations (currently only long-chain fatty acid esters of fluphenazine or haloperidol are licensed in the US), but no long-acting preparation has yet been licensed for a modern antipsychotic drug ..
- DISPOSITION OF 18F-HALOPERIDOL AND 82BR-BROMPERIDOLGeorge Digenis; Fiscal Year: 1980b>Haloperidol and bromperidol are antipsychotic drugs that are classified as butyrophenones, one of the most important classes of neuroleptic drugs...
- IDENTIFICATION OF SIGMA ANTAGONISTSEDWARD KARBON; Fiscal Year: 1991Dopamine (D2) receptor antagonists such as haloperidol and chlorpromazine are most commonly used to treat schizophrenia...
- ATYPICAL ANTIPSYCHOTIC MEDICATIONS--OUTCOMES AND COSTSScott Woods; Fiscal Year: 2000..of placebo, the relative outcomes of these agents have been compared almost exclusively to a single agent, haloperidol. These data leave unanswered the question of pivotal importance to patients, families, and clinicians: how will ..
- PHARMACOLOGIC CHARACTERIZATION OF BORDERLINE DISORDERSPaul Soloff; Fiscal Year: 1990..This double-blind, placebo-controlled trial of neuroleptic (haloperidol) and antidepressant (amitriptyline) medication simultaneously addresses the clinical need for empirically ..
- Neurochemistry of Nicotine Dependence in SchizophreniaWynne Schiffer; Fiscal Year: 2004..response is similar in many respects to that exhibited by animals chronically treated with the neuroleptic, haloperidol. We suggest that the pathology associated with dysfunctional NMDA receptors enhances excitatory input to brain ..
- Antipsychotics, hypoglycemia, glutamate and cognitionNEIL RICHTAND; Fiscal Year: 2009..Typical antipsychotic medications such as haloperidol elevate extracellular glutamate through antagonist effects on dopamine D2 and serotonin 5HT1A receptors, while ..
- HALOPERIDOL TREATMENT IN ALZHEIMER'S DISEASEDavangere Devanand; Fiscal Year: 1993The efficacy and side effects of low dose (0.5 to 0.75 mg daily) versus traditional dose (2 to 3 mg daily) oral haloperidol treatment of psychosis and behavioral disturbance will be evaluated in a random assignment double-blind placebo ..
- PRESYNAPTIC REGULATION IN NEUROLEPTIC NON-RESPONSEAdam Wolkin; Fiscal Year: 1991..Subjects will be 80 schizophrenic patients who have been on a stable dose of haloperidol for least 6 weeks, and who meet rigorous criteria of past neuroleptic non-response...
- SEROTONIN IN TREATMENT REFRACTORY SCHIZOPHRENIARene Kahn; Fiscal Year: 1990..Clozapine is hypothesized to be effective in these patients, because it, unlike haloperidol, reduces 5HT receptor sensitivity after chronic administration...
- NEUROLEPTICS, SIGMA SITES AND NEUROTOXICITYJose Musacchio; Fiscal Year: 1993The purpose of this project is to determine the nature of the down- regulation of haloperidol-sensitive dextromethorphan/sigma binding sites...
- PERMANENT DOPAMINE HYPERSENSITIVITY-A UNIQUE MODELJeremy Fields; Fiscal Year: 1991..In rodents, prolonged block of striatal D2 DA-R by antispsychotic drugs such an haloperidol (HAL) causes a compensatory up-regulation of those DA-R post and results in a transient behavioral SS to DA ..
- NEUROLEPTICS IN DRUG NAIVE SCHIZOPHRENIALina Shihabuddin; Fiscal Year: 2001..propose to collect crucial pilot data on never-medicated schizophrenic patients treated sequentially with haloperidol and olanzapine...
- DOPAMINERGIC MECHANISMS OF INTERVAL TIMING & DRUG ABUSECATALIN BUHUSI; Fiscal Year: 2002..g., haloperidol, HAL) result in behavior consistent with a slowing of the clock...
- Cellular Adaptations to Neuroleptic Treatment in the Dorsal StriatumTracy Gertler; Fiscal Year: 2009..g. haloperidol) and 'atypical1 neuroleptics such as clozapine are effective at long-term remodeling of the ..
- STARTLE REFLEX--TESTING ALCOHOL PATIENTS AND TREATMENTSKent Hutchison; Fiscal Year: 1999..g., haloperidol); 3) Exposure to alcohol cues in alcohol dependent patients results in decreases prepulse inhibition of the ..