- Eribulin monotherapy versus treatment of physician's choice in patients with metastatic breast cancer (EMBRACE): a phase 3 open-label randomised study
Vall d Hebron University Hospital, Vall d Hebron Institute of Oncology, Barcelona, Spain
Lancet 377:914-23. 2011
..Eribulin mesilate is a non-taxane microtubule dynamics inhibitor with a novel mode of action. We aimed to compare overall survival of heavily pretreated patients receiving eribulin versus currently available treatments...
- The major Vibrio cholerae autoinducer and its role in virulence factor production
Douglas A Higgins
Department of Molecular Biology
Nature 450:883-6. 2007
..These findings suggest that CAI-1 could be used as a therapy to prevent cholera infection and, furthermore, that strategies to manipulate bacterial quorum sensing hold promise in the clinical arena...
- PEEK biomaterials in trauma, orthopedic, and spinal implants
Steven M Kurtz
Exponent, Inc, 3401 Market Street, Suite 300, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Biomaterials 28:4845-69. 2007
..For mature fields, such as total joint replacements and fracture fixation implants, radiolucency is an attractive but not necessarily critical material feature...
- The cytochrome P450 enzyme CYP96A15 is the midchain alkane hydroxylase responsible for formation of secondary alcohols and ketones in stem cuticular wax of Arabidopsis
Department of Botany, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada V6T 1Z1
Plant Physiol 145:653-67. 2007
..on the inflorescence stems of Arabidopsis (Arabidopsis thaliana) is dominated by alkanes, secondary alcohols, and ketones, all thought to be formed sequentially in the decarbonylation pathway of wax biosynthesis...
- Biocatalytic asymmetric synthesis of chiral amines from ketones applied to sitagliptin manufacture
Christopher K Savile
Codexis, Incorporated, 200 Penobscot Drive, Redwood City, CA 94063, USA
Science 329:305-9. 2010
..This work underscores the maturation of biocatalysis to enable efficient, economical, and environmentally benign processes for the manufacture of pharmaceuticals...
- The primary antimitotic mechanism of action of the synthetic halichondrin E7389 is suppression of microtubule growth
Mary Ann Jordan
Molecular, Cellular, and Developmental Biology, University of California Santa Barbara, 93106 9610, USA
Mol Cancer Ther 4:1086-95. 2005
..The result is formation of abnormal mitotic spindles that cannot pass the metaphase/anaphase checkpoint...
- Potent and selective fluoroketone inhibitors of group VIA calcium-independent phospholipase A2
Laboratory of Organic Chemistry, Department of Chemistry, University of Athens, Panepistimiopolis, Athens 15771, Greece
J Med Chem 53:3602-10. 2010
..001 while inhibiting the other intracellular GIVA cPLA(2) and GV sPLA(2) at least 90 times less potently. Hexa- and octafluoro ketones were also found to be potent inhibitors of GVIA iPLA(2); however, they are not selective.
- Ketones suppress brain glucose consumption
Joseph C Lamanna
Department of Anatomy, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio 44106, USA
Adv Exp Med Biol 645:301-6. 2009
The brain is dependent on glucose as a primary energy substrate, but is capable of utilizing ketones such as beta-hydroxybutyrate (beta HB) and acetoacetate (AcAc), as occurs with fasting, prolonged starvation or chronic feeding of a ..
- Differing roles for members of the phospholipase A2 superfamily in experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis
Center for Research in Neuroscience, McGill University Health Center Research Institute, Livingston Hall, Room L7 210, 1650 Cedar Ave, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H3G 1A4
Brain 132:1221-35. 2009
..Our results therefore suggest that iPLA(2) might be an excellent target to block for the treatment of CNS autoimmune diseases, such as multiple sclerosis...
- Ketones prevent synaptic dysfunction induced by mitochondrial respiratory complex inhibitors
Do Young Kim
Barrow Neurological Institute and St Joseph s Hospital and Medical Center, Phoenix, Arizona 85013, USA
J Neurochem 114:130-41. 2010
b>Ketones have previously shown beneficial effects in models of neurodegenerative disorders, particularly against associated mitochondrial dysfunction and cognitive impairment...
- Polyetheretherketone as a biomaterial for spinal applications
Jeffrey M Toth
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Medical College of Wisconsin, 9200 W Wisconsin Ave, Box 26099, Milwaukee, WI 53226 0099, USA
Biomaterials 27:324-34. 2006
..Based on these results, the polymeric biomaterial PEEK may be a useful biomaterial for interbody fusion cages due to the polymer's increased radiolucency and decreased stiffness...
- Eribulin binds at microtubule ends to a single site on tubulin to suppress dynamic instability
Jennifer A Smith
Department of Molecular, Cellular, and Developmental Biology and Neuroscience Research Institute, University of California, Santa Barbara, California 93106, USA
Biochemistry 49:1331-7. 2010
..Overall, our results indicate that eribulin binds with high affinity to microtubule plus ends and thereby suppresses dynamic instability...
- The Vibrio cholerae quorum-sensing autoinducer CAI-1: analysis of the biosynthetic enzyme CqsA
Robert C Kelly
Department of Molecular Biology, Princeton University, New Jersey, USA
Nat Chem Biol 5:891-5. 2009
..cholerae responds to amino-CAI-1 as well as CAI-1, whereas other CAI-1 variants do not elicit a quorum-sensing response. Thus, both CAI-1 and amino-CAI-1 have potential as lead molecules in the development of an anticholera treatment...
- Mechanism of Vibrio cholerae autoinducer-1 biosynthesis
Department of Molecular Biology and Department of Chemistry, Princeton University, New Jersey 08544, United States
ACS Chem Biol 6:356-65. 2011
..SAM is the substrate for the synthesis of at least three different classes of quorum-sensing signal molecules, indicating that bacteria have evolved a strategy to leverage an abundant substrate for multiple signaling purposes...
- The ketogenic diet changes metabolite levels in hippocampal extracellular fluid
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, School of Pharmacy, Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center, Amarillo, TX 79106, USA
Neurochem Int 58:5-8. 2011
..This work will now enable other researchers to mimic the hippocampal extracellular environment in experiments aimed at deciphering the mechanisms of the KD...
- Newly synthesized curcumin analog has improved potential to prevent colorectal carcinogenesis in vivo
Department of Clinical Oncology, Institute of Development, Aging and Cancer, Tohoku University, Sendai, Japan
Cancer Sci 100:956-60. 2009
..It was demonstrated that the number of beta-catenin-positive adenoma cells in Apc(580D/+) mice fed GO-Y030 was reduced...
- Quorum sensing contributes to natural transformation of Vibrio cholerae in a species-specific manner
Global Health Institute, Ecole Polytechnique Fe de rale de Lausanne EPFL, Lausanne, Switzerland
J Bacteriol 193:4914-24. 2011
..We suggest that CAI-1 can be considered a competence pheromone...
- In vitro and in vivo anticancer activities of synthetic macrocyclic ketone analogues of halichondrin B
M J Towle
Department of Anticancer Research Eisai Research Institute. Andover, Massachusetts 01810, USA
Cancer Res 61:1013-21. 2001
- Sealing plant surfaces: cuticular wax formation by epidermal cells
Department of Botany, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC V6T1Z4, Canada
Annu Rev Plant Biol 59:683-707. 2008
..the subsequent modification of the elongated products into primary alcohols, wax esters, secondary alcohols, and ketones, shedding light on the enzymes involved in these pathways...
- Phase I study of eribulin mesylate administered once every 21 days in patients with advanced solid tumors
Antoinette R Tan
The Cancer Institute of New Jersey, New Brunswick, New Jersey 08901, USA
Clin Cancer Res 15:4213-9. 2009
..To evaluate the maximum tolerated dose (MTD), dose-limiting toxicities (DLT), and pharmacokinetics of eribulin mesylate (E7389), a halichondrin B analogue, administered every 21 days in patients with advanced solid tumors...
- Probing bacterial transmembrane histidine kinase receptor-ligand interactions with natural and synthetic molecules
Wai Leung Ng
Department of Molecular Biology, Princeton University, Princeton, NJ 08544 1014, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 107:5575-80. 2010
..We suggest that rationally designed ligands can be employed to study, and ultimately to control, histidine kinase activity...
- Multiple biochemical and morphological factors underlie the production of methylketones in tomato trichomes
Robert H Smith Institute of Plant Sciences and Genetics in Agriculture, Faculty of Agriculture, Food, and Environment, Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Rehovot 76100, Israel
Plant Physiol 151:1952-64. 2009
..Furthermore, heterologous expression of MKS2 in Escherichia coli resulted in the production of methylketones in this host...
- Phase II study of eribulin mesylate, a halichondrin B analog, in patients with metastatic breast cancer previously treated with an anthracycline and a taxane
Linda T Vahdat
Weill Medical College of Cornell University, Division of Hematology Oncology, New York, NY 10021, USA
J Clin Oncol 27:2954-61. 2009
..This open-label, single-arm, phase II study evaluated efficacy and tolerability of eribulin in heavily pretreated patients with metastatic breast cancer (MBC)...
- Phase II study of the halichondrin B analog eribulin mesylate in patients with locally advanced or metastatic breast cancer previously treated with an anthracycline, a taxane, and capecitabine
Vall d Hebron University Hospital, Barcelona, Spain
J Clin Oncol 28:3922-8. 2010
- The Legionella autoinducer synthase LqsA produces an alpha-hydroxyketone signaling molecule
Institute of Microbiology, ETH Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland
J Biol Chem 283:18113-23. 2008
..Thus, LqsA and CqsA belong to a family of pyridoxal 5'-phosphate-dependent autoinducer synthases, which produce the alpha-hydroxyketone signaling molecules LAI-1 and CAI-1...
- Inhibition of centromere dynamics by eribulin (E7389) during mitotic metaphase
Department of Molecular, Cellular, and Developmental Biology and Neuroscience Research Institute, University of California Santa Barbara, Santa Barbara, CA 93106, USA
Mol Cancer Ther 7:2003-11. 2008
..The strong correlation between suppression of kinetochore-microtubule dynamics and mitotic arrest indicates that the primary mechanism by which eribulin blocks mitosis is suppression of spindle microtubule dynamics...
- The electron beam deposition of titanium on polyetheretherketone (PEEK) and the resulting enhanced biological properties
Cheol Min Han
Department of Materials Science and Engineering and Hybrid Materials Division in WCU Program, Seoul National University, Seoul 151 744, Republic of Korea
Biomaterials 31:3465-70. 2010
..These in vitro and in vivo results suggested that the e-beam deposited Ti coating significantly improved the potential of PEEK for hard tissue applications...
- Response of primary fibroblasts and osteoblasts to plasma treated polyetheretherketone (PEEK) surfaces
Department of Trauma, Hand and Reconstructive Surgery, School of Medicine, Hamburg University, Martinistr 52, D 20246, Hamburg, Germany
J Mater Sci Mater Med 16:671-7. 2005
..These results show that chemically inert materials such as PEEK may be modified specifically through the methods of plasma technology in order to improve biocompatibility...
- Ketones: metabolism's ugly duckling
Theodore B VanItallie
Division of Endocrinology, Diabetes, and Nutrition, Department of Medicine, St Luke s Roosevelt Hospital Center in New York City, 10025, USA
Nutr Rev 61:327-41. 2003
b>Ketones were first discovered in the urine of diabetic patients in the mid-19th century; for almost 50 years thereafter, they were thought to be abnormal and undesirable by-products of incomplete fat oxidation...
- Eribulin induces irreversible mitotic blockade: implications of cell-based pharmacodynamics for in vivo efficacy under intermittent dosing conditions
Murray J Towle
Division of Biology, Eisai Inc, Andover, Massachusetts, USA
Cancer Res 71:496-505. 2011
- Clinical review: ketones and brain injury
Department of Intensive Care, Griffi ths University, Logan Hospital, Meadowbrook, Queensland 4131, Australia
Crit Care 15:219. 2011
Although much feared by clinicians, the ability to produce ketones has allowed humans to withstand prolonged periods of starvation. At such times, ketones can supply up to 50% of basal energy requirements...
- Mechanical properties and in vitro response of strontium-containing hydroxyapatite/polyetheretherketone composites
K L Wong
Department of Orthopaedics and Traumatology, The University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong
Biomaterials 30:3810-7. 2009
..Strontium, in the form of strontium-containing hydroxyapatite (Sr-HA), was confirmed to enhance bioactivity in the PEEK composites...
- Fluoroketone inhibition of Ca(2+)-independent phospholipase A2 through binding pocket association defined by hydrogen/deuterium exchange and molecular dynamics
Yuan Hao Hsu
Department of Pharmacology, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, California 92093 0601, USA
J Am Chem Soc 135:1330-7. 2013
..The discovery of the precise binding mode of FK ligands to the iPLA(2) should greatly improve our ability to design new inhibitors with higher potency and selectivity...
- Solis cage (PEEK) for anterior cervical fusion: preliminary radiological results with emphasis on fusion and subsidence
Arvind G Kulkarni
Spine Division, Department of Orthopaedics, National University Hospital, 5 Lower Kent Ridge Road, Singapore 119074
Spine J 7:205-9. 2007
..Recent literature has raised some apprehensions with regard to the usage of cervical cages...
- Synthesis of substituted isoquinolines utilizing palladium-catalyzed α-arylation of ketones
Timothy J Donohoe
Department of Chemistry, University of Oxford, Chemistry Research Laboratory, Mansfield Road, Oxford OX1 3TA, United Kingdom
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 109:11605-8. 2012
..This powerful route to polysubstituted isoquinolines, which is not limited to electron rich moieties, also allows rapid access to analogues of biologically active compounds...
- Do endogenous volatile organic chemicals measured in breath reflect and maintain CYP2E1 levels in vivo?
J M Mathews
Research Triangle Institute, National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences, Research Triangle Park, North Carolina 27709, USA
Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 146:255-60. 1997
..In addition to hexane, short-chain methyl ketones were particularly affected, and percentage increases in response to inhibition were inversely related to chain ..
- Advances in therapy: eribulin improves survival for metastatic breast cancer
Patrick G Morris
Breast Cancer Medicine Service, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, Evelyn H Lauder Breast Center, New York, USA
Anticancer Drugs 21:885-9. 2010
..Future studies will investigate the potential role of eribulin in other settings, including for early breast cancer, to ascertain how to optimally incorporate this new agent into current treatment paradigms...
- Metal-free catalytic enantioselective C-B bond formation: (pinacolato)boron conjugate additions to α,β-unsaturated ketones, esters, Weinreb amides, and aldehydes promoted by chiral N-heterocyclic carbenes
Department of Chemistry, Merkert Chemistry Center, Boston College, Chestnut Hill, Massachusetts 02467, United States
J Am Chem Soc 134:8277-85. 2012
..Acyclic and cyclic α,β-unsaturated ketones, as well as acyclic esters, Weinreb amides, and aldehydes, can serve as suitable substrates; the desired β-boryl ..
- Comparison of neuropathy-inducing effects of eribulin mesylate, paclitaxel, and ixabepilone in mice
Krystyna M Wozniak
Johns Hopkins Brain Science Institute, Baltimore, Maryland 21205, USA
Cancer Res 71:3952-62. 2011
..Overall, our findings indicate that eribulin mesylate induces less neuropathy in mice than paclitaxel or ixabepilone at equivalent MTD-based doses...
- Novel anti-Prelog stereospecific carbonyl reductases from Candida parapsilosis for asymmetric reduction of prochiral ketones
Center for Advanced Biotechnology and Medicine, Department of Molecular Biology and Biochemistry, Rutgers University, Piscataway, New Jersey 08854, USA
Org Biomol Chem 9:4070-8. 2011
..Our study also showed that genomic mining is a powerful tool for the discovery of new enzymes...
- Small molecule probes of the receptor binding site in the Vibrio cholerae CAI-1 quorum sensing circuit
Megan E Bolitho
Department of Chemistry, Princeton University, Princeton, NJ 08544, USA
Bioorg Med Chem 19:6906-18. 2011
..The molecules described in this manuscript are anticipated to serve as valuable tools in the study of quorum sensing in Vibrio cholerae and provide new leads in the development of an antivirulence therapy against this human pathogen...
- Bioreduction of α,β-unsaturated ketones and aldehydes by non-conventional yeast (NCY) whole-cells
Department of Applied Biology and Industrial Yeasts Collection DBVPG, University of Perugia, Borgo XX Giugno 74, 06121 Perugia, Italy
Bioresour Technol 102:3993-8. 2011
The bioreduction of α,β-unsaturated ketones (ketoisophorone, 2-methyl- and 3-methyl-cyclopentenone) and aldehydes [(S)-(-)-perillaldehyde and α-methyl-cinnamaldehyde] by 23 "non-conventional" yeasts (NCYs) belonging to 21 species of ..
- Ecological role of a seaweed secondary metabolite for a colonizing bacterial community
Department of Cell and Molecular Biology, Microbiology, University of Gothenburg, Goteborg, Sweden
Biofouling 27:579-88. 2011
..5 μg cm⁻²) and the evenness (5 μg cm⁻²) of the bacterial communities. Altogether, the results emphasize the role of secondary metabolites for control of the density and structure of seaweed-associated bacterial communities...
- Antifungal unsaturated cyclic Mannich ketones and amino alcohols: study of mechanism of action
University of Pecs, Faculty of Medicine, Department of Medical Microbiology and Immunology, H 7624 Pecs, Szigeti ut 12, Hungary
Eur J Med Chem 44:1823-9. 2009
The antifungal activity of some known unsaturated Mannich ketones and their amino alcohols has been reported and the mechanism of antifungal action has been studied...
- Cyclic AMP post-transcriptionally regulates the biosynthesis of a major bacterial autoinducer to modulate the cell density required to activate quorum sensing
Morehouse School of Medicine Department of Microbiology, Biochemistry and Immunology, 720 Westview Dr, SW Atlanta, GA 30310, United States
FEBS Lett 582:3744-50. 2008
..Lowering intracellular cAMP levels by addition of d-glucose increased the cell density required to activate HapR. These results indicate that cAMP acts as a quorum modulator...
- Palladium-catalyzed aerobic oxidative cyclization of N-aryl imines: indole synthesis from anilines and ketones
Division of Chemistry and Biological Chemistry, School of Physical and Mathematical Sciences, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore, Singapore
J Am Chem Soc 134:9098-101. 2012
..The process allows quick and atom-economical assembly of indole rings from inexpensive and readily available anilines and ketones and tolerates a broad range of functional groups.
- Engineering of bacterial methyl ketone synthesis for biofuels
Ee Been Goh
Joint BioEnergy Institute, Emeryville, California, USA
Appl Environ Microbiol 78:70-80. 2012
We have engineered Escherichia coli to overproduce saturated and monounsaturated aliphatic methyl ketones in the C₁₁ to C₁₅ (diesel) range; this group of methyl ketones includes 2-undecanone and 2-tridecanone, which are of ..
- Insights into the biosynthesis of the Vibrio cholerae major autoinducer CAI-1 from the crystal structure of the PLP-dependent enzyme CqsA
Centre for Biomolecular Sciences, University of St Andrews, UK
J Mol Biol 392:763-73. 2009
..It is proposed that a region of structure that is disordered in the apo structure is involved in the release of product. While not confirming if CqsA alone is able to synthesize CAI-1, these results suggest possible synthetic routes...
- Bacterial gene regulation by alpha-hydroxyketone signaling
Institute of Molecular Life Sciences, University of Zurich, Winterthurerstrasse 190, 8057 Zurich, Switzerland
Trends Microbiol 18:288-97. 2010
..The lqs/cqs gene cluster is present in several environmental bacteria, suggesting that AHKs are widely used for cell-cell signaling...
- Comparison of polyetheretherketone cages with femoral cortical bone allograft as a single-piece interbody spacer in transforaminal lumbar interbody fusion
Aaron R Cutler
Department of Neurosurgery, New York Medical College, St Vincent s Hospital Manhattan, New York, New York 10595, USA
J Neurosurg Spine 5:534-9. 2006
..The authors compared the clinical and radiographic outcomes of patients who underwent TLIF with pedicle screw fixation, in whom either a PEEK cage or an FCA was placed as an interbody spacer...
- Synthesis and biological evaluation of certain alpha,beta-unsaturated ketones and their corresponding fused pyridines as antiviral and cytotoxic agents
H I El-Subbagh
Department of Pharmaceutical Chemistry, College of Pharmacy, King Saud University, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
J Med Chem 43:2915-21. 2000
..In addition, compounds 26, 33, and 35 proved to be of moderate selectivity toward leukemia cell lines. The pyrano[3,2-c]pyridines heterocyclic system proved to be the most active antitumors among the investigated heterocycles...
- Outcomes of interbody fusion cages used in 1 and 2-levels anterior cervical discectomy and fusion: titanium cages versus polyetheretherketone (PEEK) cages
Chi Chien Niu
Department of Orthopedics Surgery, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, Chang Gung University, Taoyuan, Taiwan
J Spinal Disord Tech 23:310-6. 2010
..A prospective study was performed in case with cervical spondylosis who underwent anterior cervical discectomy and fusion (ACDF) with titanium or polyetheretherketone (PEEK) cages...
- An expeditious synthesis of DPD and boron binding studies
Martin F Semmelhack
Departments of Chemistry and Molecular Biology, Princeton University, Princeton, NJ 08544, USA
Org Lett 7:569-72. 2005
..reaction: see text]..
- Subsidence and nonunion after anterior cervical interbody fusion using a stand-alone polyetheretherketone (PEEK) cage
Jae Jun Yang
Depatment of Orthopaedic Surgery, Seoul National University College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
Clin Orthop Surg 3:16-23. 2011
..The purposes of the present study are to evaluate the subsidence and nonunion that occurred after anterior cervical discectomy and fusion using a stand-alone intervertebral cage and to analyze the risk factors for the complications...
- Ketones and lactate increase cancer cell "stemness," driving recurrence, metastasis and poor clinical outcome in breast cancer: achieving personalized medicine via Metabolo-Genomics
Ubaldo E Martinez-Outschoorn
The Jefferson Stem Cell Biology and Regenerative Medicine Center, Thomas Jefferson University, Philadelphia, PA, USA
Cell Cycle 10:1271-86. 2011
Previously, we showed that high-energy metabolites (lactate and ketones) "fuel" tumor growth and experimental metastasis in an in vivo xenograft model, most likely by driving oxidative mitochondrial metabolism in breast cancer cells...
- Polyetheretherketone--cytotoxicity and mutagenicity in vitro
ENDO Klinik Hamburg, Germany
Biomaterials 23:1749-59. 2002
..0 microg/ml). Therefore, in summary, the study produced no evidence of cell damage caused by PEEK...
- Preliminary experience using a polyetheretherketone (PEEK) cage in the treatment of cervical disc disease
Der Yang Cho
Department of Neurosurgery, China Medical College Hospital, Taichung, Taiwan, Republic of China
Neurosurgery 51:1343-49; discussion 1349-50. 2002
..We investigated the effectiveness of a new material, polyetheretherketone (PEEK), in a spinal cage used in performing cervical spinal fusion for the correction of cervical kyphosis...
- A unique urinary constituent, 6-hydroxy-6-methyl-3-heptanone, is a pheromone that accelerates puberty in female mice
M V Novotny
Department of Chemistry, Indiana University, Bloomington, IN 47405, USA
Chem Biol 6:377-83. 1999
..We investigated the chemical nature of the urinary fractions that are responsible for the characteristic uterine weight increases...
- A comparison of changes over time in cervical foraminal height after tricortical iliac graft or polyetheretherketone cage placement following anterior discectomy
Suat E Celik
Department of Neurosurgery, Beyoglu State Hospital, Istanbul, Turkey
J Neurosurg Spine 6:10-6. 2007
..To their knowledge, this prospective study is the first in which foraminal height changes over time are compared following the placement of a tricortical graft or a polyetheretherketone (PEEK) cage...
- Efficacy of anterior cervical fusion: comparison of titanium cages, polyetheretherketone (PEEK) cages and autogenous bone grafts
Yu Cheng Chou
Division of Functional Neuroscience, Buddhist Tzu Chi General Hospital, Hualien, Taiwan
J Clin Neurosci 15:1240-5. 2008
..3% in group B, and 84.85% in group C. The fusion rates after 1 year in groups A, B, and C were 46.51%, 100% and 100%, respectively. The PEEK cage is a viable alternative to autogenous tricortical bone grafts in anterior cervical fusion...
- Delineation of the interactions between the chemotherapeutic agent eribulin mesylate (E7389) and human CYP3A4
Z Y Zhang
Department of Drug Disposition, Eisai Research Institute, 4 Corporate Drive, Andover, MA 01810, USA
Cancer Chemother Pharmacol 62:707-16. 2008
- Multilevel cervical fusion without plates, screws or autogenous iliac crest bone graft
Mehmet Nusret Demircan
GATA Haydarpasa Training Hospital, Department of Neurosurgery, Istanbul, Turkey
J Clin Neurosci 14:723-8. 2007
- Treatment of multilevel cervical fusion with cages
Der Yang Cho
Department of Neurosurgery, China Medical University Hospital, Taichung, Taiwan, Republic of China
Surg Neurol 62:378-85, discussion 385-6. 2004
..In this study, we try to use cages to replace plate function in multilevel cervical fusion...
- Diet, ketones, and neurotrauma
Department of Neurosurgery, UCLA David Geffen School of Medicine, Los Angeles, California 90095 7039, USA
Epilepsia 49:111-3. 2008
..has been shown to be altered after head injury, and increasing cerebral metabolism of alternative substrates (ketones) has been shown to be neuroprotective in several models of traumatic brain injury...
- Thienyl and phenyl alpha-halomethyl ketones: new inhibitors of glycogen synthase kinase (GSK-3beta) from a library of compound searching
Instituto de Quimica Medica CSIC, Juan de la Cierva 2, 28006 Madrid, Spain
J Med Chem 46:4631-3. 2003
..In this initial letter, some thienyl and phenyl alpha-halomethyl ketones are described as new non-ATP competitive inhibitors of GSK-3beta...
- Production and quantification of methyl ketones in wild tomato accessions
G F Antonious
Atwood Research Facility, Department of Plant and Soil Science, Kentucky State University, Frankfort 40601, USA
J Environ Sci Health B 36:835-48. 2001
Production of methyl ketones as naturally occurring insecticides from wild tomato accessions is explored in this study...
- Broad spectrum preclinical antitumor activity of eribulin (Halaven(R)): optimal effectiveness under intermittent dosing conditions
Murray J Towle
Discovery Biology, Oncology Product Creation Unit, Eisai Inc, Andover, MA, USA
Anticancer Res 32:1611-9. 2012
..Here we extend those early studies by examining the effects of eribulin against a wider spectrum of human tumor xenografts in vivo, and by directly comparing the in vivo effectiveness of different dosing administration schedules...
- Synthesis of isoquinolines and heterocycle-fused pyridines via three-component cascade reaction of aryl ketones, hydroxylamine, and alkynes
Department of Chemistry, Tsinghua University, Key Laboratory of Organic Optoelectronics and Molecular Engineering of Ministry of Education, Beijing 100084, China
J Org Chem 77:5794-800. 2012
..An efficient one-pot synthesis of isoquinolines and heterocycle-fused pyridines by three-component reaction of aryl ketones, hydroxylamine, and alkynes is developed...
- Effects of a ketogenic diet during pregnancy on embryonic growth in the mouse
Department of Medical Biophysics, Faculty of Medicine, University of Toronto, Toronto, Canada
BMC Pregnancy Childbirth 13:109. 2013
..To date, no studies have thoroughly investigated the direct implications of a gestational ketogenic diet on embryonic development...
- Oxidative γ-addition of enals to trifluoromethyl ketones: enantioselectivity control via Lewis acid/N-heterocyclic carbene cooperative catalysis
Division of Chemistry and Biological Chemistry, School of Physical and Mathematical Sciences, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore 637371, Singapore
J Am Chem Soc 134:8810-3. 2012
..Enantioselectivity control involving the relatively remote enal γ-carbon was achieved via Lewis acid [Sc(OTf)(3) or combined Sc(OTf)(3)/Mg(OTf)(2)] and NHC cooperative catalysis...
- Novel histone deacetylase inhibitors: cyclic tetrapeptide with trifluoromethyl and pentafluoroethyl ketones
CREST Research Project, Japan Science and Technology Agency, Saitama 332 0012, Japan
Bioorg Med Chem Lett 14:5343-6. 2004
..Evaluation by human HDAC inhibition assay and p21 promoter assay showed that these inhibitors are promising anticancer agents...
- Induction of morphological and biochemical apoptosis following prolonged mitotic blockage by halichondrin B macrocyclic ketone analog E7389
Department of Candidate Assessment and In Vitro Technologies, Eisai Research Institute, Andover, Massachusetts 01810, USA
Cancer Res 64:5760-6. 2004
..These results show that prolonged mitotic blockage by E7389 can lead to apoptotic cell death of human cancer cells in vitro and can provide a mechanistic basis for the significant in vivo anticancer efficacy of E7389...
- Signal production and detection specificity in Vibrio CqsA/CqsS quorum-sensing systems
Wai Leung Ng
Department of Molecular Biology, Princeton University, Princeton, NJ, USA
Mol Microbiol 79:1407-17. 2011
..We isolated CqsS mutants in each species that display reversed specificity for ligands. Our analysis provides insight into how fidelity is maintained in signal transduction systems...
- Engineering of Ralstonia eutropha H16 for autotrophic and heterotrophic production of methyl ketones
Physical Biosciences Division, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, Berkeley, California, USA
Appl Environ Microbiol 79:4433-9. 2013
..We engineered R. eutropha for the production of fatty acid-derived, diesel-range methyl ketones. Modifications engineered in R...
- Mechanistic insights into the gold-catalyzed cycloisomerization of bromoallenyl ketones: ligand-controlled regioselectivity
Key Laboratory of Organic Synthesis of Jiangsu Province, Department of Chemistry and Chemical Engineering, Suzhou University, Suzhou 215006, China
J Am Chem Soc 130:6940-1. 2008
..Through computational and experimental studies, the mechanisms of gold-catalyzed cycloisomerization of bromoallenyl ketones in toluene have been elucidated...
- Modeling bovine serum albumin binding of flavor compounds (alcohols, aldehydes, esters, and ketones) as a function of molecular properties
Research, Development and Engineering Department, Philip Morris, Richmond, VA 23234, USA
J Food Sci 73:S56-63. 2008
..Interactions between bovine serum albumin (BSA) and 4 classes of flavor compounds (alcohols, esters, aldehydes, and ketones) in aqueous solution were investigated using solid phase microextraction (SPME) of sample headspace and gas ..
- Isolation and antimicrobial evaluation of isomeric hydroxy ketones in leaf cuticular waxes of Annona squamosa
K Shiva Shanker
Lipid Science and Technology Division, Indian Institute of Chemical Technology, Uppal Road, Hyderabad 500 007, India
Phytochem Anal 18:7-12. 2007
..This isomeric mixture of hydroxy ketones constituted together 16.5% of the total cuticular waxes...
- Inhibition of calcium-independent phospholipase A2 activity in rat hippocampus impairs acquisition of short- and long-term memory
Evelin L Schaeffer
Laboratory of Neuroscience LIM 27, Department and Institute of Psychiatry, Faculty of Medicine, University of Sao Paulo, Brazil
Psychopharmacology (Berl) 181:392-400. 2005
..In mice, intraperitoneal injections of a selective iPLA(2) inhibitor impaired spatial learning. Accordingly, reduced cPLA(2) and iPLA(2) activities were found in postmortem hippocampus of patients with Alzheimer's disease...
- Composition of secondary alcohols, ketones, alkanediols, and ketols in Arabidopsis thaliana cuticular waxes
Department of Chemistry, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada
J Exp Bot 60:1811-21. 2009
..4 microg cm(-2)) and C(28) to C(30) ketones (6.0 microg cm(-2)) dominated by C(29) homologues...
- Test of the Binding Threshold Hypothesis for olfactory receptors: explanation of the differential binding of ketones to the mouse and human orthologs of olfactory receptor 912-93
Materials and Process Simulation Center MC 139 74, California Institute of Technology, Pasadena, CA 91125, USA
Protein Sci 14:703-10. 2005
..The olfactory receptor (OR) 912-93 is known experimentally to be activated by ketones in mouse, but is inactive to ketones in human, despite an amino acid sequence identity of approximately 66%...
- Chemoselective conjugate reduction of alpha,beta-unsaturated ketones catalyzed by rhodium amido complexes in aqueous media
National Engineering Research Center of Chiral Drugs and Key Laboratory of Asymmetric Synthesis and Chirotechnology of Sichuan Province, Chengdu Institute of Organic Chemistry, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Chengdu 610041, China
J Org Chem 75:2981-8. 2010
..could be switched from C=O to C=C bonds in the transfer hydrogenation of activated alpha,beta-unsaturated ketones. Now we have found that a variety of alpha,beta-unsaturated ketones, even without other electron-withdrawing ..
- Insights into the general and efficient cross McMurry reactions between ketones
Xin Fang Duan
Department of Chemistry, Beijing Normal University, Beijing, 100875, China
J Org Chem 71:9873-6. 2006
The selective cross McMurry couplings of diaryl or aryl ketones with various substituted ketones were achieved in 53-94% isolated yields...
- P[N(i-Bu)CH(2)CH(2)](3)N: nonionic Lewis base for promoting the room-temperature synthesis of α,β-unsaturated esters, fluorides, ketones, and nitriles using Wadsworth-Emmons phosphonates
Venkat Reddy Chintareddy
Department of Chemistry, Gilman Hall, Iowa State University, Ames, Iowa 50011, United States
J Org Chem 75:7166-74. 2010
..esters, fluorides, and nitriles from a wide array of aromatic, aliphatic, heterocyclic, and cyclic aldehydes and ketones, using a range of Wadsworth-Emmons (WE) phosphonates...
- Catalytic asymmetric synthesis of quaternary α-hydroxy trifluoromethyl phosphonate via chiral aluminum(III) catalyzed hydrophosphonylation of trifluoromethyl ketones
Key Laboratory of Green Chemistry and Technology, Ministry of Education, College of Chemistry, Sichuan University, Chengdu 610064, People s Republic of China
Org Lett 12:4296-9. 2010
..complex has been first applied in the catalytic enantioselective hydrophosphonylation of trifluoromethyl ketones. The side reactions related to phospha-Brook rearrangement were completely avoided, and the corresponding ..
- Sc(OTf)3-catalyzed efficient synthesis of beta,beta-bis(indolyl) ketones by the double indolylation of acetic acid 2-methylene-3-oxobutyl ester
State Key Laboratory of Organometallic Chemistry, Shanghai Institute of Organic Chemistry, Chinese Academy of Sciences, 354 Fenglin Lu, Shanghai, 200032, PR China
Org Biomol Chem 3:1933-6. 2005
..acetic acid 2-methylene-3-oxo-butyl ester with differently substituted indoles readily afforded beta,beta-bis(indolyl) ketones. The reaction may proceed via a Sc(OTf)3-catalyzed SN2'-type substitution and subsequent conjugate addition.
- A sensitive and selective fluorescent thiol probe in water based on the conjugate 1,4-addition of thiols to alpha,beta-unsaturated ketones
State Key Laboratory of Chemo Biosensing and Chemometrics, College of Chemistry and Chemical Engineering, Hunan University, Changsha, Hunan 410082, PR China
Chemistry 15:5096-103. 2009
..Probe 1 was constructed on the basis of the conjugate 1,4-addition of thiols to alpha,beta-unsaturated ketones. Notably, probe 1 has suitable water solubility, which allows the sensing assay to be performed in water...
- A high-performance liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry method for the clinical combination study of carboplatin and anti-tumor agent eribulin mesylate (E7389) in human plasma
Drug Safety and Disposition, Eisai Research Institute, 4 Corporate Drive, Andover, MA 01810, USA
J Chromatogr B Analyt Technol Biomed Life Sci 875:373-82. 2008
..Both compounds were stable in human plasma (>or=80 days at -80 degrees C), at room temperature (>or=4h), following three freeze-thaw cycles and in 50/50 methanol/H(2)O (<4 degrees C for >or=252 days)...
- Non-fusion rates in anterior cervical discectomy and implantation of empty polyetheretherketone cages
Department of Neurosurgery, University Hospital Mannheim, University of Heidelberg, Mannheim, Germany
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 36:15-20. 2011
..A prospective analysis...
- Silver-catalyzed asymmetric Sakurai-Hosomi allylation of ketones
Department of Chemistry, The University of Chicago, Illinois 60637, USA
J Am Chem Soc 127:14556-7. 2005
..R)-DIFLUORPHOS has been shown to be an effective catalyst for the asymmetric Sakurai-Hosomi allylation of simple ketones. A significaant improvement of the reactivity was observed by using THF as the solvent...
- Identification of modular chiral bisphosphines effective for Cu(i)-catalyzed asymmetric allylation and propargylation of ketones
Shi Liang Shi
Graduate School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, The University of Tokyo, Hongo, Bunkyo ku, Tokyo 113 0033, Japan
J Am Chem Soc 132:6638-9. 2010
..Cu(I)-catalyzed asymmetric tetrasubstituted-carbon-forming reactions, namely, allylation and propargylation of ketones, were identified...
- Discovery of adamantyl heterocyclic ketones as potent 11β-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase type 1 inhibitors
Medicinal Chemistry, Department of Pharmacy and Pharmacology, University of Bath, Claverton Down, Bath BA27AY, UK
ChemMedChem 6:1439-51. 2011
..A series of novel adamantyl heterocyclic ketones provides potent and selective inhibitors of human 11β-HSD1...
- Anterior cervical fusion using a polyetheretherketone cage containing a bovine xenograftp: three to five-year follow-up
Chang Jung Chiang
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Taipei City Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 33:2524-428. 2008
..Retrospective review of an anterior polyetheretherketone (PEEK) cage incorporated with a bovine xenograft to treat disorders of the cervical disc...
- Osteoblasts exhibit a more differentiated phenotype and increased bone morphogenetic protein production on titanium alloy substrates than on poly-ether-ether-ketone
Wallace H Coulter Department of Biomedical Engineering at Georgia Tech and Emory University, Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, GA 30332 0363, USA
Spine J 12:265-72. 2012
- Highly active, immobilized ruthenium catalysts for oxidation of alcohols to aldehydes and ketones. Preparation and use in both batch and flow systems
Graduate School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, The University of Tokyo, The HFRE Division, ERATO, Japan Science and Technology Agency JST, Hongo, Bunkyo ku, Tokyo 113 0033, Japan
J Am Chem Soc 127:9251-4. 2005
..active immobilized ruthenium catalyst, which can be successfully used in oxidation of alcohols to aldehydes and ketones, has been developed...
- Chemical images of marine bio-active compounds by surface enhanced Raman spectroscopy and transposed orthogonal partial least squares (T-OPLS)
Department of Chemistry and Molecular Biology, University of Gothenburg, Gothenburg, Sweden
Anal Chim Acta 737:37-44. 2012
..In this paper we show the possibility to retrieve specific spectral information with a low magnitude in a complex matrix...
- Odor-active compounds of Iberian hams with different aroma characteristics
Ana I Carrapiso
Laboratory of Food Technology, University of Extremadura, 10071 Caceres, Spain
J Agric Food Chem 50:6453-8. 2002
..Otherwise, the largest scores for moldy aroma in long-Montanera hams matched with the largest detection frequency of 1-octen-3-one and 1-octen-3-ol in this group...
- Design and synthesis of modular oxazoline ligands for the enantioselective chromium-catalyzed addition of allyl bromide to ketones
Jeremie J Miller
Department of Chemistry, University of Utah, 315 South 1400 East, Salt Lake City, Utah 84112, USA
J Am Chem Soc 129:2752-3. 2007
- Mild and general zinc-alkoxide-catalyzed allylations of ketones with allyl pinacol boronates
Keith R Fandrick
Department of Chemical Development, Boehringer Ingelheim Pharmaceuticals, Inc, 900 Ridgebury Road, P O Box 368, Ridgefield, Connecticut 06877 0368, USA
Org Lett 12:3748-51. 2010
A general and efficient zinc-alkoxide-catalyzed allylation of a diverse array of ketones with allyl boronates is presented. The methodology is effective with 2 mol % of catalyst and with relatively short reaction times...
- Synthesis of cyclic enones via direct palladium-catalyzed aerobic dehydrogenation of ketones
Department of Chemistry, University of Wisconsin Madison, 1101 University Avenue, Madison, Wisconsin 53706, USA
J Am Chem Soc 133:14566-9. 2011
..application of Pd(DMSO)(2)(TFA)(2) as a catalyst for direct dehydrogenation of cyclohexanones and other cyclic ketones to the corresponding enones, using O(2) as the oxidant...
- Optimization of culture conditions to produce high yields of active Acetobacter sp. CCTCC M209061 cells for anti-Prelog reduction of prochiral ketones
Xiao hong Chen
Lab of Applied Biocatalysis, South China University of Technology, Guangzhou, 510640, China
BMC Biotechnol 11:110. 2011
..CCTCC M209061 showed exclusive anti-Prelog stereoselectivity for the reduction of prochiral ketones, but the low biomass has limited its commercialization and industrial applications...
- Chiral primary-tertiary diamine catalysts derived from natural amino acids for syn-aldol reactions of hydroxy ketones
Beijing National Laboratory for Molecule Sciences, Center for Chemical Biology, Institute of Chemistry, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing, 100190 China
J Org Chem 74:1747-50. 2009
..Application of these new chiral catalysts in direct aldol reactions of alpha-hydroxyketones showed very good catalytic activity (up to 97% yield) and high syn selectivity (up to syn/ anti = 30:1, 99% ee)...