- Celastrol, a triterpene extracted from the Chinese "Thunder of God Vine," is a potent proteasome inhibitor and suppresses human prostate cancer growth in nude mice
The Prevention Program, Barbara Ann Karmanos Cancer Institute, and Department of Pathology, School of Medicine, Wayne State University, Detroit, Michigan 48201, USA
Cancer Res 66:4758-65. 2006
..Our results show that Celastrol is a natural proteasome inhibitor that has a great potential for cancer prevention and treatment...
- The genome of Ganoderma lucidum provides insights into triterpenes biosynthesis and wood degradation [corrected]
Hunan Agricultural University, Changsha, Hunan, China
PLoS ONE 7:e36146. 2012
..It is also a fungus with strong wood degradation ability with potential in bioenergy production. However, genes, pathways and mechanisms of these functions are still unknown...
- Celastrol induces apoptosis in non-small-cell lung cancer A549 cells through activation of mitochondria- and Fas/FasL-mediated pathways
Department of Medical Oncology, The First Affiliated Hospital, School of Medicine, Zhejiang University, 79 Qingchun Road, Hangzhou, Zhejiang Province 310003, People s Republic of China
Toxicol In Vitro 25:1027-32. 2011
..These results demonstrate that celastrol can induce apoptosis of human NSCLC A549 cells through activation of both mitochondria- and FasL-mediated pathways...
- Pentacyclic triterpene distribution in various plants - rich sources for a new group of multi-potent plant extracts
Carl Gustav Carus Institute, Am Eichhof 30, D 75223 Niefern Oschelbronn, Germany
Molecules 14:2016-31. 2009
Pentacyclic triterpenes are secondary plant metabolites widespread in fruit peel, leaves and stem bark...
- Oleanolic acid and ursolic acid: research perspectives
Inorganic Carcinogenesis Section, Laboratory of Comparative Carcinogenesis, NCI at NIEHS, 111 Alexander Drive, Research Triangle Park, NC 27709, USA
J Ethnopharmacol 100:92-4. 2005
..A briefly commentary is attempted here for their research perspectives...
- HIV-1 maturation inhibitor bevirimat stabilizes the immature Gag lattice
Paul W Keller
Laboratory of Structural Biology Research, National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases, NIH, Building 50, Room 1517, 50 South Drive, MSC 8025, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
J Virol 85:1420-8. 2011
..In both cases, the observed failure to assemble mature capsids correlates with the loss of infectivity...
- Inhibition of NF-kappa B activation through targeting I kappa B kinase by celastrol, a quinone methide triterpenoid
Jeong Hyung Lee
Anticancer Research Laboratory, Korea Research Institute of Bioscience and Biotechnology, 52 Aueun Dong, Yuseong Gu, Daejeon, Republic of Korea
Biochem Pharmacol 72:1311-21. 2006
- Antitumor activity and mechanism of action of the cyclopenta[b]benzofuran, silvestrol
Department of Biochemistry, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
PLoS ONE 4:e5223. 2009
..One flavagline, silvestrol, is capable of modulating chemosensitivity in a mechanism-based mouse model...
- Celastrol inhibits tumor cell proliferation and promotes apoptosis through the activation of c-Jun N-terminal kinase and suppression of PI3 K/Akt signaling pathways
Department of Pharmacology, Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine, National University of Singapore, Singapore, 117597, Singapore
Apoptosis 16:1028-41. 2011
..Overall, our results indicate that celastrol can inhibit cell proliferation and induce apoptosis through the activation of JNK, suppression of Akt, and down-regulation of anti-apoptotic protein expression...
- Ursolic, oleanolic and betulinic acids: antibacterial spectra and selectivity indexes
SRSMC, Nancy University, CNRS, France
J Ethnopharmacol 120:272-6. 2008
- Chemical constituents and pharmacological properties of Poria cocos
Jose Luis Rios
Department of Pharmacology, University of Valencia, Valencia, Spain
Planta Med 77:681-91. 2011
..In several of the studies reviewed, the inhibitory effects of triterpenes on phospholipase A (2) (PLA (2)) have been clearly demonstrated...
- Therapeutic suppression of translation initiation modulates chemosensitivity in a mouse lymphoma model
Marie Eve Bordeleau
Department of Biochemistry, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
J Clin Invest 118:2651-60. 2008
..These results establish that targeting translation initiation can restore drug sensitivity in vivo and provide an approach to modulating chemosensitivity...
- Molecular targets of celastrol derived from Thunder of God Vine: potential role in the treatment of inflammatory disorders and cancer
Department of Pharmacology, Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine, National University of Singapore, Singapore 117597, Singapore
Cancer Lett 303:9-20. 2011
..This review describes the various molecular targets of celastrol, cellular responses to celastrol, and animal studies with celastrol in cancer and other inflammatory disorders...
- Effects of triterpenes on the immune system
Jose Luis Rios
Departament de Farmacologia, Facultat de Farmacia, Universitat de Valencia, Av Vicent Andres Estelles s n 46100 Burjassot, Valencia, Spain
J Ethnopharmacol 128:1-14. 2010
b>Triterpenes, which comprise a broad chemical group of active principles, are implicated in the mechanisms of action and pharmacological effects of many medicinal plants used in folk medicine against diseases in which the immune system is ..
- Discovery of JSI-124 (cucurbitacin I), a selective Janus kinase/signal transducer and activator of transcription 3 signaling pathway inhibitor with potent antitumor activity against human and murine cancer cells in mice
Michelle A Blaskovich
Drug Discovery Program, H Lee Moffitt Cancer Center and Research Institute, Tampa, Florida 33612, USA
Cancer Res 63:1270-9. 2003
..These results give strong support for pharmacologically targeting the JAK/STAT3 signaling pathway for anticancer drug discovery...
- Celastrol inhibits breast cancer cell invasion via suppression of NF-ĸB-mediated matrix metalloproteinase-9 expression
School of Life Sciences and Biotechnology, Korea University, Seoul, Korea
Cell Physiol Biochem 28:175-84. 2011
..In this study, we investigated the effect of celastrol on the migration and invasion of human breast carcinoma cells...
- Inhibition of Wnt signaling by cucurbitacin B in breast cancer cells: reduction of Wnt-associated proteins and reduced translocation of galectin-3-mediated β-catenin to the nucleus
Mahidol University, Bangkok, Thailand
J Cell Biochem 113:49-60. 2012
The cucurbitacins are tetracyclic triterpenes found in plants of the family Cucurbitaceae. Cucurbitacins have been shown to have anti-cancer and anti-inflamatory activities...
- Molecular cloning, characterization, and differential expression of a lanosterol synthase gene from Ganoderma lucidum
Chang Hua Shang
College of Life Sciences, Nanjing Agricultural University, Key Laboratory for Microbiological Engineering of the Agricultural Environment, Ministry of Agriculture, Jiangsu, People s Republic of China
Biosci Biotechnol Biochem 74:974-8. 2010
..lucidum), which produces triterpenes. The cDNA of the LS (GenBank accession no...
- Natural products of the medicinal fungus Ganoderma lucidum: occurrence, biological activities, and pharmacological functions
Ming Shi Shiao
Department of Medical Research and Education, Taipei Veterans General Hospital, Taiwan 11217
Chem Rec 3:172-80. 2003
..A combination treatment of lovastatin and Ganoderma triterpenoids in animal studies has exhibited a potential anticancer effect...
- Celastrol: Molecular targets of Thunder God Vine
Department of Neurology, Institute of Clinical Medicine, School of Medicine, University of Eastern Finland, P O Box 1627, FIN 70211 Kuopio, Finland
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 394:439-42. 2010
..Celastrol needs still to pass several hurdles, e.g. ADMET assays, before it can enter the armoury of western drugs...
- Natural proteasome inhibitor celastrol suppresses androgen-independent prostate cancer progression by modulating apoptotic proteins and NF-kappaB
Department of Radiation Oncology, Division of Radiation and Cancer Biology, University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor, Michigan, United States of America
PLoS ONE 5:e14153. 2010
..In the current study, we aim to test the hypothesis that celastrol suppresses AIPC progression via inhibiting the constitutive NF-κB activity as well as modulating the Bcl-2 family proteins...
- Ursolic acid: an anti- and pro-inflammatory triterpenoid
Division of Food Science and Biotechnology, Graduate School of Agriculture, Kyoto University, Kyoto, Japan
Mol Nutr Food Res 52:26-42. 2008
..This review summarizes previous and current information regarding UA, and provides new insights into the underlying molecular mechanisms of its activities...
- Drugs that target specificity proteins downregulate epidermal growth factor receptor in bladder cancer cells
Department of Veterinary Physiology and Pharmacology, Texas A and M University, 4466 TAMU, Veterinary Research Building 410, College Station, TX 77843 4466, USA
Mol Cancer Res 8:739-50. 2010
..Thus, compounds such as curcumin and BA that downregulate Sp transcription factors represent a novel class of anticancer drugs that target EGFR in bladder cancer cells and tumors by inhibiting receptor expression...
- Clinically useful anticancer, antitumor, and antiwrinkle agent, ursolic acid and related derivatives as medicinally important natural product
Pharmaceutical Research Center, PCSIR Laboratories Complex, Karachi, Pakistan
J Enzyme Inhib Med Chem 26:616-42. 2011
..This review article contains fourteen medicinally important ursolic acid derivatives and 351 references...
- Suppression of the inflammatory response by triterpenes isolated from the mushroom Ganoderma lucidum
Cancer Research Laboratory, Methodist Research Institute, 1800 N Capitol Ave, E504, Indianapolis, IN 46202, USA
Int Immunopharmacol 9:1272-80. 2009
..In conclusion, the anti-inflammatory and anti-proliferative effects of GLT on macrophages are mediated through the inhibition of NF-kappaB and AP-1 signaling pathways...
- Cucurbitacin I elicits anoikis sensitization, inhibits cellular invasion and in vivo tumor formation ability of nasopharyngeal carcinoma cells
Vivian W Y Lui
Cancer Signaling Laboratory, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Shatin, New Territories, Hong Kong Special Administrative Region
Carcinogenesis 30:2085-94. 2009
..Taken together, our results suggested that Cucurbitacin I may be a potent chemopreventive agent for NPC with anti-invasion and anoikis-sensitizing activities...
- Cucurbitacins and cucurbitane glycosides: structures and biological activities
Jian Chao Chen
State Key Laboratory of Phytochemistry and Plant Resources in West China, Kunming Institute of Botany, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Kunming, 650204, Yunnan, P R China
Nat Prod Rep 22:386-99. 2005
..According to the characteristics of their structures, cucurbitacins are divided into twelve categories. The biological effects of the cucurbitacins are also covered...
- The novel plant-derived agent silvestrol has B-cell selective activity in chronic lymphocytic leukemia and acute lymphoblastic leukemia in vitro and in vivo
David M Lucas
Department of Internal Medicine, The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH, USA
Blood 113:4656-66. 2009
..These data indicate silvestrol has efficacy against B cells in vitro and in vivo and identify translational inhibition as a potential therapeutic target in B-cell leukemias...
- Ursolic acid enhances nitric oxide and tumor necrosis factor-alpha production via nuclear factor-kappaB activation in the resting macrophages
H J You
Department of Pharmacy, College of Pharmacy, Chosun University, Kwangju, South Korea
FEBS Lett 509:156-60. 2001
..These results demonstrate that UA stimulates NO and TNF-alpha release and is able to upregulate iNOS and TNF-alpha expression through NF-kappaB transactivation in the resting macrophages...
- Betulinic acid and its derivatives: a review on their biological properties
Pharmacy Department, Birla Institute of Technology and Science, Pilani 333031, India
Curr Med Chem 12:657-66. 2005
..Various structural modifications carried out and their biological and pharmacokinetic profiles are also incorporated...
- Chemistry, biological activity, and chemotherapeutic potential of betulinic acid for the prevention and treatment of cancer and HIV infection
Robert H Cichewicz
Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, University of California, Santa Cruz, California 95064, USA
Med Res Rev 24:90-114. 2004
- Celastrol suppresses angiogenesis-mediated tumor growth through inhibition of AKT/mammalian target of rapamycin pathway
Institute of Biomedical Sciences and School of Life Sciences, East China Normal University, Shanghai, China
Cancer Res 70:1951-9. 2010
..Taken together, our results suggest that Celastrol targets the AKT/mTOR/P70S6K pathway, which leads to suppression of tumor growth and angiogenesis...
- Biosynthesis of triterpenoid saponins in plants
Sainsbury Laboratory, John Innes Centre, Norwich, UK
Adv Biochem Eng Biotechnol 75:31-49. 2002
..Progress has also been made in the characterisation of saponin glucosyltransferases. This review outlines these developments, with particular emphasis on triterpenoid saponins...
- Celastrols as inducers of the heat shock response and cytoprotection
Sandy D Westerheide
Department of Biochemistry, Molecular Biology and Cell Biology, Rice Institute for Biomedical Research, Northwestern University, Evanston, IL 60208, USA
J Biol Chem 279:56053-60. 2004
..These results suggest that celastrols exhibit promise as a new class of pharmacologically active regulators of the heat shock response...
- Pharmacological properties of the ubiquitous natural product betulin
Faculty of Pharmacy, Division of Pharmaceutical Chemistry, University of Helsinki, Helsinki, Finland
Eur J Pharm Sci 29:1-13. 2006
..Moreover, it is non-toxic up to 500 mg/kg body weight in mice. The literature concerning derivatization of betulin for structure-activity relationship (SAR) studies and its pharmacological properties is reviewed...
- Cucurbitacin E, a tetracyclic triterpenes compound from Chinese medicine, inhibits tumor angiogenesis through VEGFR2-mediated Jak2-STAT3 signaling pathway
Institute of Biomedical Sciences and School of Life Sciences, East China Normal University, 500 Dongchuan Road, Shanghai 200241, China
Carcinogenesis 31:2097-104. 2010
Cucurbitacin E (CuE, α-elaterin), a tetracyclic triterpenes compound from folk traditional Chinese medicine plants, has been shown to inhibit cancer cell growth, inflammatory response and bilirubin-albumin binding...
- Betulinic acid protects against cerebral ischemia-reperfusion injury in mice by reducing oxidative and nitrosative stress
Department of Pharmacology, University Medical Center, Johannes Gutenberg University, Mainz, Germany
Nitric Oxide 24:132-8. 2011
..This is likely to result from a reduction of oxidative stress (by downregulation of NOX2) and nitrosative stress (by reduction of nNOS and iNOS), and an enhancement of blood flow (by upregulation of eNOS)...
- Celastrol causes apoptosis and cell cycle arrest in rat glioma cells
Department of Neurosurgery, First Hospital of Jilin University, Changchun, China
Neurol Res 32:94-100. 2010
..Taken together, our data suggest that celastrol can suppress proteasome activity and induce apoptosis and cell cycle arrest in C6 glioma cells, which make it be a potential drug for glioma...
- Cytotoxic triterpenes from Antrodia camphorata and their mode of action in HT-29 human colon cancer cells
Chi Tai Yeh
National Institute of Cancer Research, Zhunan, Taiwan, ROC
Cancer Lett 285:73-9. 2009
Five lanostane (2, 3, 4, 6 and 8) and three ergostane-type (1, 5 and 7) triterpenes isolated from the fruiting bodies of Antrodia camphorata were evaluated for their in vitro cytotoxic data against various cancer cell types...
- Cucurbitacin B inhibits STAT3 and the Raf/MEK/ERK pathway in leukemia cell line K562
Kin Tak Chan
Department of Technology and Product Development, CK Life Sciences Int l, Holdings Inc, 2 Dai Fu Street, Tai Po Industrial Estate, Hong Kong SAR, China
Cancer Lett 289:46-52. 2010
..Western blotting analysis of cell signaling molecules indicated that cucurbitacin B inhibits STAT3 activation and the Raf/MEK/ERK pathway in the K562 cells...
- The induction of G2/M cell-cycle arrest and apoptosis by cucurbitacin E is associated with increased phosphorylation of eIF2alpha in leukemia cells
Department of Pharmacology, Shenyang Pharmaceutical University, Shenyang, PR China
Anticancer Drugs 21:389-400. 2010
- New antioxidant and antiglycation active triterpenoid saponins from the root bark of Aralia taibaiensis
Institute of Materia Medica, School of Pharmacy, Fourth Military Medical University, Xi an 710032, PR China
Fitoterapia 83:234-40. 2012
..Compounds 1-5 exhibited moderate effects on antioxidant and antiglycation activities, which correlated with treatment of diabetes mellitus...
- Amelioration of obesity and glucose intolerance in high-fat-fed C57BL/6 mice by anthocyanins and ursolic acid in Cornelian cherry (Cornus mas)
Bioactive Natural Products and Phytoceuticals, Department of Horticulture, Michigan State University, East Lansing, Michigan 48824, USA
J Agric Food Chem 54:243-8. 2006
..Overall, these data suggest that anthocyanins and ursolic acid purified from C. mas fruits have biological activities that improve certain metabolic parameters associated with diets high in saturated fats and obesity...
- Induction of heat shock proteins in cerebral cortical cultures by celastrol
Ari M Chow
Centre for the Neurobiology of Stress, Department of Biological Sciences, University of Toronto Scarborough, 1265 Military Trail, Toronto, ON M1C 1A4, Canada
Cell Stress Chaperones 18:155-60. 2013
- Celastrol, a triterpene, enhances TRAIL-induced apoptosis through the down-regulation of cell survival proteins and up-regulation of death receptors
Cytokine Research Laboratory, Department of Experimental Therapeutics, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
J Biol Chem 285:11498-507. 2010
..Overall, our results demonstrate that celastrol can potentiate the apoptotic effects of TRAIL through down-regulation of cell survival proteins and up-regulation of death receptors via the ROS-mediated up-regulation of CHOP pathway...
- Effective treatment of rat adjuvant-induced arthritis by celastrol
Instituto de Medicina Molecular, Faculdade de Medicina da Universidade de Lisboa, Lisbon, Portugal
Autoimmun Rev 11:856-62. 2012
..Furthermore, we find that early inhibition of Th17 cells polarization ameliorates arthritis but it is not as effective as celastrol...
- Ursolic acid protects diabetic mice against monocyte dysfunction and accelerated atherosclerosis
Sarah L Ullevig
Department of Biochemistry, University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, San Antonio, TX 78229 3900, United States
Atherosclerosis 219:409-16. 2011
..In this study, we examined the therapeutic potential of the phytonutrients ursolic acid (UA) and resveratrol (RES) in preventing monocyte recruitment and accelerated atherosclerosis...
- Aggregated ursolic acid, a natural triterpenoid, induces IL-1beta release from murine peritoneal macrophages: role of CD36
Division of Food Science and Biotechnology, Graduate School of Agriculture, Kyoto University, Kyoto, Japan
J Immunol 178:4854-64. 2007
- Celastrol inhibits the growth of human glioma xenografts in nude mice through suppressing VEGFR expression
Department of Neurosurgery, The First Affiliated Hospital of Suzhou University, Suzhou, China
Cancer Lett 264:101-6. 2008
..These findings suggest that celastrol have potential to be used as an antiangiogenesis drug through its role in suppressing VEGF receptors expression that might consequently reduce the signal transduction between VEGF and VEGFR...
- Dual targeting of the cyclin/Rb/E2F and mitochondrial pathways in mantle cell lymphoma with the translation inhibitor silvestrol
Department of Internal Medicine, College of Medicine, College of Pharmacy, The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH 43210, USA
Clin Cancer Res 18:4600-11. 2012
..We hypothesized that this dual activity of silvestrol would make it especially effective in malignancies driven by aberrant cyclin D1 expression...
- The role of astragaloside in regeneration of the peripheral nerve system
Chun Yuan Cheng
Division of Neurosurgery, Changhua Christian Hospital, Changhua, Taiwan
J Biomed Mater Res A 76:463-9. 2006
..Thus, astragaloside plays a dual role in anastomosis, being salutary in aiding the growth of axons in peripheral nerve but also detrimental, terminating the nerve regenerative processes if improperly applied...
- Cucurbitacin B induces rapid depletion of the G-actin pool through reactive oxygen species-dependent actin aggregation in melanoma cells
Institute of Tissue Transplantation and Immunology, Jinan University, Guangzhou, China
Acta Biochim Biophys Sin (Shanghai) 43:556-67. 2011
..These findings indicate that CuB induces rapid depletion of the G-actin pool through ROS-dependent actin aggregation in melanoma cells, which may at least partly account for its anti-tumor activity...
- Retigeric acid B exhibits antitumor activity through suppression of nuclear factor-κB signaling in prostate cancer cells in vitro and in vivo
Yong qing Liu
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Shandong University School of Medicine, Jinan, China
PLoS ONE 7:e38000. 2012
..Therefore, our findings suggested that RB exerted its anti-tumor effect by targeting the NF-κB pathway in PCa cells, and this could be a general mechanism for the anti-tumor effect of RB in other types of cancers as well...
- Targeting mitochondrial apoptosis by betulinic acid in human cancers
University Children s Hospital, Eythstr 24, D 89075 Ulm, Germany
Drug Discov Today 14:885-90. 2009
..Thus, mitochondrion-targeted agents such as BA hold great promise as a novel approach to overcome certain forms of drug resistance in human cancers...
- Ursolic acid, a potential PPARγ agonist, suppresses ovalbumin-induced airway inflammation and Penh by down-regulating IL-5, IL-13, and IL-17 in a mouse model of allergic asthma
Seung Hyung Kim
Institute of Traditional Medicine and Bioscience, Daejeon University, Daejeon, Republic of Korea
Eur J Pharmacol 701:131-43. 2013
- Inhibition of pancreatic cancer cell growth by cucurbitacin B through modulation of signal transducer and activator of transcription 3 signaling
Department of Clinical Pharmacology, China Medical University, 92 Bei er Rd, Shenyang 110001, China
Pancreas 39:923-9. 2010
..Cucurbitacin B (CuB) is a member of the triterpenoid family and has shown inhibitory effect on various cancer cells. In this study, we have assessed the effect of CuB on pancreatic cancer cells...
- Ganoderic acid DM, a natural triterpenoid, induces DNA damage, G1 cell cycle arrest and apoptosis in human breast cancer cells
Guo Sheng Wu
State Key Laboratory of Quality Research in Chinese Medicine University of Macau, Macao, PR China
Fitoterapia 83:408-14. 2012
..These results have advanced our current understandings of the anti-cancer mechanisms of GADM...
- De novo sequencing and analysis of the termite mushroom (Termitomyces albuminosus) transcriptome to discover putative genes involved in bioactive component biosynthesis
School of Life Science, Yunnan Normal University, Kunming 650500, China
J Biosci Bioeng 114:228-31. 2012
..Based on the bioinformatic analysis, we found many the known enzymes involved in the biosynthesis of triterpene saponin in Termitomyces albuminosus, including 6 cytochrome P450 and 22 glycosyltransferase unique genes...
- Celastrol suppresses IFN-gamma-induced ICAM-1 expression and subsequent monocyte adhesiveness via the induction of heme oxygenase-1 in the HaCaT cells
Won Yong Seo
Department of Biomedical Science and Research Institute for Bioscience and Biotechnology, Hallym University, Chunchon 200 702, Republic of Korea
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 398:140-5. 2010
..These results suggest that celastrol may exert anti-inflammatory responses by suppressing IFN-gamma-induced expression of ICAM-1 and subsequent monocyte adhesion via expression of HO-1 in the keratinocytes...
- Proliferative inhibition, cell-cycle dysregulation, and induction of apoptosis by ursolic acid in human non-small cell lung cancer A549 cells
Ya Ling Hsu
Graduate Institute of Natural Products, College of Pharmacy, Kaohsiung Medical University, No 100, Shin Chuan 1st Road, 807, Taiwan
Life Sci 75:2303-16. 2004
..Taken together, our study indicated that UA might be a potential chemopreventive agent for lung cancer...
- Cranberry phytochemicals: Isolation, structure elucidation, and their antiproliferative and antioxidant activities
Department of Food Science, Stocking Hall, Cornell University, Ithaca, New York 14853 7201, USA
J Agric Food Chem 54:7069-74. 2006
..These results showed cranberry phytochemical extracts have potent antioxidant and antiproliferative activities...
- A triterpenoid methyl antcinate K isolated from Antrodia cinnamomea promotes dendritic cell activation and Th2 differentiation
Yen Ling Yu
Vaccine Research and Development Center, National Health Research Institutes, Miaoli, Taiwan
Eur J Immunol 39:2482-91. 2009
..This suggests that me-AntK can potentially be applied to enhance immune responses and modulate DC function in immunotherapy...
- Inhibitors of translation initiation as cancer therapeutics
Department of Biochemistry, McIntyre Medical Sciences Building, Room 810, 3655 Promenade Sir William Osler, McGill University, Montreal, QC, H3G 1Y6, Canada
Future Med Chem 1:1709-22. 2009
..Small-molecule inhibitors of translation initiation are validating the idea that protein synthesis is a legitimate target for curtailing tumor growth...
- Oleanolic acid and ursolic acid affect peptidoglycan metabolism in Listeria monocytogenes
Department of Bacterial Genetics, Institute of Microbiology, University of Warsaw, Miecznikowa 1, 02 096 Warsaw, Poland
Antonie Van Leeuwenhoek 97:61-8. 2010
..These results suggest that peptidoglycan metabolism is a cellular target of oleanolic and ursolic acids...
- Antioxidant activity and toxicity profile of total triterpenes isolated from Ganoderma lucidum (Fr.) P. Karst occurring in South India
T P Smina
Amala Cancer Research Centre, Amala Nagar, Thrissur, Kerala 680555, India
Environ Toxicol Pharmacol 32:438-46. 2011
..Total triterpenes successfully scavenged DPPH(+), ABTS(+) and superoxide radicals, showed significant ferric reducing activity ..
- Ursolic acid-induced AMP-activated protein kinase (AMPK) activation contributes to growth inhibition and apoptosis in human bladder cancer T24 cells
Qing You Zheng
Department of Urology, the Military General Hospital of Beijing PLA, Beijing 100700, China
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 419:741-7. 2012
..Our study suggests that activation of AMPK by UA contributes to growth inhibition and apoptosis in human bladder cancer cells...
- Astragaloside IV from Astragalus membranaceus shows cardioprotection during myocardial ischemia in vivo and in vitro
Wei Dong Zhang
Department of Natural Medicinal Chemistry, School of Pharmacy, Second Military Medical University, Shanghai, P R China
Planta Med 72:4-8. 2006
..These data suggest the potential roles of antioxidative and nitric oxide-inducing properties of astragaloside IV in its protection from myocardial ischemia...
- Ashwagandha leaf derived withanone protects normal human cells against the toxicity of methoxyacetic acid, a major industrial metabolite
National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology, Tsukuba, Ibaraki, Japan
PLoS ONE 6:e19552. 2011
..These findings warrant further basic and clinical studies that may promote the use of withanone as a health adjuvant in a variety of consumer products where the toxicity has been a concern because of the use of ester phthalates...
- Astragaloside IV protects against ischemic brain injury in a murine model of transient focal ischemia
Institute of Neurology, Fudan University Huashan Hospital, Shanghai 200040, PR China
Neurosci Lett 363:218-23. 2004
..We suggest that the anti-infarction effect by Astragaloside IV may be derived at least in part from its antioxidant properties...
- Maslinic acid potentiates the anti-tumor activity of tumor necrosis factor alpha by inhibiting NF-kappaB signaling pathway
The Institute of Biomedical Sciences and School of Life Sciences, East China Normal University, Shanghai 200241, China
Mol Cancer 9:73. 2010
..The aim of this study was to determine whether MA potentiates the anti-tumor activity of TNFalpha though the regulation of NF-kappaB activation...
- Celastrol inhibits the growth of estrogen positive human breast cancer cells through modulation of estrogen receptor α
Soon Young Jang
School of Life Sciences and Biotechnology, Korea University, Seoul 136 701, South Korea
Cancer Lett 300:57-65. 2011
- Paraptosis accompanied by autophagy and apoptosis was induced by celastrol, a natural compound with influence on proteasome, ER stress and Hsp90
Wen bo Wang
Shanghai Research Center for Modernization of Traditional Chinese Medicine, Shanghai Institute of Materia Medica, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Shanghai, PR China
J Cell Physiol 227:2196-206. 2012
..The potency of celastrol to induce paraptosis, apoptosis and autophagy at the same dose might be related to its capability to affect a variety of pathways including proteasome, ER stress and Hsp90...
- Cytotoxic and apoptosis-inducing activities of triterpene acids from Poria cocos
College of Science and Technology, Nihon University, 1 8 Kanda Surugadai, Chiyoda ku, Tokyo 101 8308, Japan
J Nat Prod 74:137-44. 2011
..Furthermore, poricotriol A was shown to possess high selective toxicity in lung cancer cells since it exhibited only weak cytotoxicity against a normal lung cell line (WI-38)...
- Antiangiogenic activity of Tripterygium wilfordii and its terpenoids
Ming Fang He
Department of Biology, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Shatin, New Territories, Hong Kong, PR China
J Ethnopharmacol 121:61-8. 2009
..Tripterygium wilfordii Hook. f. (Celastraceae) has been traditionally used as folk medicine for centuries in China for the treatment of immune-inflammatory diseases...
- Molecular cloning and functional expression of triterpene synthases from pea (Pisum sativum) new alpha-amyrin-producing enzyme is a multifunctional triterpene synthase
Graduate School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, The University of Tokyo, Japan
Eur J Biochem 267:3453-60. 2000
..Pisum sativum is known to produce both types of triterpenes. Homology based PCRs with degenerate primers designed from the conserved sequences found in the known beta-..
- Astragaloside IV improved intracellular calcium handling in hypoxia-reoxygenated cardiomyocytes via the sarcoplasmic reticulum Ca-ATPase
Xiao Le Xu
Department of Pharmacology, China Pharmaceutical University, Nanjing, PR China
Pharmacology 81:325-32. 2008
..These results suggest that the beneficial effect of astragaloside IV in H/R-induced injury may be related to normalization of SR Ca2+ pump expression and, thus, may prevent the depression in SR Ca2+ handling...
- Preclinical studies of celastrol and acetyl isogambogic acid in melanoma
Signal Transduction Program, Cancer Center, Burnham Institute for Medical Research, 10901 North Torrey Pines Road, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
Clin Cancer Res 13:6769-78. 2007
..Sensitize melanomas to apoptosis and inhibit their growth and metastatic potential by compounds that mimic the activities of activating transcription factor 2 (ATF2)-driven peptides...
- Effect of betulinic acid on anticancer drug-resistant colon cancer cells
Gwon Ryul Jung
Department of Pharmacology, College of Medicine, Chosun University, 488 Seosuk dong, Dong Gu, Gwangju 501 140, Korea
Basic Clin Pharmacol Toxicol 101:277-85. 2007
..These findings indicate that the use of BetA as a chemosensitizer may be a new strategy to enhance the efficacy of chemotherapy. However, further studies will be needed for confirmation...
- Inhibition of CXCR4/CXCL12 signaling axis by ursolic acid leads to suppression of metastasis in transgenic adenocarcinoma of mouse prostate model
Muthu K Shanmugam
Department of Pharmacology, Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine, National University of Singapore, Singapore 117597
Int J Cancer 129:1552-63. 2011
..Overall, our experimental findings suggest that UA exerts its antimetastatic effects through the suppression of CXCR4 expression in prostate cancer both in vitro and in vivo...
- Genomic and coexpression analyses predict multiple genes involved in triterpene saponin biosynthesis in Medicago truncatula
Marina A Naoumkina
Plant Biology Division, Samuel Roberts Noble Foundation, Ardmore, Oklahoma 73401, USA
Plant Cell 22:850-66. 2010
..This report provides a basis for future studies to define genetically the roles of multiple cytochromes P450 and glycosyltransferases in triterpene saponin biosynthesis in Medicago...
- Geoditin A induces oxidative stress and apoptosis on human colon HT29 cells
Florence W K Cheung
School of Chinese Medicine, Chinese University of Hong Kong, Shatin, NT, Hong Kong, China
Mar Drugs 8:80-90. 2010
..Our results provide a better understanding of the apoptotic properties and chemotherapeutical potential of this marine triterpene...
- Triterpenes from Ganoderma Lucidum induce autophagy in colon cancer through the inhibition of p38 mitogen-activated kinase (p38 MAPK)
Methodist Research Institute, Indianapolis, Indiana, USA
Nutr Cancer 62:630-40. 2010
..Taken together, our data demonstrate a novel mechanism responsible for the inhibition of colon cancer cells by G. lucidum and suggest GLT as natural product for the treatment of colon cancer...
- Celastrol, a potent antioxidant and anti-inflammatory drug, as a possible treatment for Alzheimer's disease
A C Allison
SurroMed Corporation, Palo Alto, CA, USA
Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry 25:1341-57. 2001
..The potent antioxidant and anti-inflammatory activities of celastrol, and its effects on cognitive functions, suggest that the drug may be useful to treat neurodegenerative diseases accompanied by inflammation, such as AD...
- Quantitative determination for cytotoxic Friedo-nor-oleanane derivatives from five morphological types of Maytenus ilicifolia (Celastraceae) by reverse-phase high-performance liquid chromatography
Waldemar Buffa Filho
Núcleo de Bioensaio, Biossíntese e Ecofisiologia de Produtos Naturais, Instituto de Quimica, Universidade Estadual Paulista, CP 355, 14801 970, Araraquara SP, Brazil
Phytochem Anal 13:75-8. 2002
..Well resolved peaks with good detection response and linearity in the range 1.0-100 micrograms/mL were obtained...
- Cytotoxic properties of root extract and fruit juice of Trichosanthes cucumerina
Department of Pharmacognosy, Faculty of Pharmacy, Mahidol University, Bangkok, Thailand
Planta Med 75:839-42. 2009
..In addition to bryonolic acid (1), bryononic acid (2), cucurbitacin B (3), and dihydrocucurbitacin B (4) also were isolated from the root extract...
- Cucurbitacin B induces G2 arrest and apoptosis via a reactive oxygen species-dependent mechanism in human colon adenocarcinoma SW480 cells
Department of Molecular Targeting Cancer Prevention, Graduate School of Medical Science, Kyoto Prefectural University of Medicine, Kamigyo ku, Kyoto, Japan
Mol Nutr Food Res 54:559-65. 2010
..These results suggested that cucB induced G(2) arrest and apoptosis through a STAT3-independent but ROS-dependent mechanism in SW480 cells...
- Bioactive sesterterpenes and triterpenes from marine sponges: occurrence and pharmacological significance
Sherif S Ebada
Institute of Pharmaceutical Biology and Biotechnology, Heinrich Heine University, Duesseldorf, Germany
Mar Drugs 8:313-46. 2010
..In this review, we survey sesterterpenoids and triterpenoids obtained from marine sponges and highlight their bioactivities...
- Antiinflammatory activity of astragaloside IV is mediated by inhibition of NF-kappaB activation and adhesion molecule expression
Wei Jian Zhang
Department of Vascular Biology and Thrombosis Research, University of Vienna, Austria
Thromb Haemost 90:904-14. 2003
..We conclude that the ability of AS-IV to inhibit the NF-kappaB pathway might be one under-lying mechanism contributing to its anti-inflammatory potential in vivo...
- Cucurbitacin E as a new inhibitor of cofilin phosphorylation in human leukemia U937 cells
Department of Pharmacognosy, Kyoto Pharmaceutical University, Misasagi, Yamashina ku, Kyoto 607 8412, Japan
Bioorg Med Chem Lett 20:2994-7. 2010
Cucurbitane-type triterpenes, cucurbitacins B and E, were reported to exhibit cytotoxic effects in several cell lines mediated by JAK/STAT3 signaling...
- Isolation of an Arabidopsis thaliana gene encoding cycloartenol synthase by functional expression in a yeast mutant lacking lanosterol synthase by the use of a chromatographic screen
E J Corey
Department of Chemistry, Harvard University, Cambridge, MA 02138
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 90:11628-32. 1993
..4.99.-) from Bacillus acidocalcarius. The method used to clone this gene should be generally applicable to genes responsible for secondary metabolite biosynthesis...
- Cucurbitacin Q: a selective STAT3 activation inhibitor with potent antitumor activity
Department of Interdisciplinary Oncology, Drug Discovery and Molecular Oncology Programs, H Lee Moffitt Cancer Center and Research Institute, University of South Florida, 12902 Magnolia Drive, MRC DRDIS, Tampa, FL 33612 9497, USA
Oncogene 24:3236-45. 2005
..These studies further validate STAT3 as a drug discovery target and provide evidence that pharmacological agents that can selectively reduce the P-STAT3 levels in human cancer cells result in tumor apoptosis and growth inhibition...
- The relevance of higher plants in lead compound discovery programs
A Douglas Kinghorn
Division of Medicinal Chemistry and Pharmacognosy, College of Pharmacy, The Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio 43210, USA
J Nat Prod 74:1539-55. 2011
..In this review, progress made in the senior author's laboratory in research work on naturally occurring sweeteners and other taste-modifying substances and on potential anticancer agents from tropical plants will be described...
- Betulinic acid inhibits prostate cancer growth through inhibition of specificity protein transcription factors
Institute of Biosciences and Technology, Texas A and M University Health Science Center, Houston, Texas 77843 4466, USA
Cancer Res 67:2816-23. 2007
..Thus, betulinic acid acts as a novel anticancer agent through targeted degradation of Sp proteins that are highly overexpressed in tumors...
- Acidic triterpenes compromise growth and survival of astrocytoma cell lines by regulating reactive oxygen species accumulation
Instituto de Biologia y Genetica Molecular, Consejo Superior de Investigaciones Cientificas Universidad de Valladolid, C Sanz y Fores s n, 47003 Valladolid, Spain
Cancer Res 67:3741-51. 2007
Several studies have shown how pentacyclic triterpenes can inhibit proliferation and induce apoptosis of some tumor cell lines; however, its effect on astrocytic tumors, one of the most malignant forms of cancer, has rarely been reported...
- Evaluation of the effect of triterpenes on urinary risk factors of stone formation in pyridoxine deficient hyperoxaluric rats
Department of Medical Biochemistry, Dr A L M Post Graduate Institute of Basic Medical Sciences, Taramani, Chennai 600 113, India
Phytother Res 16:514-8. 2002
..Treatment with lupeol and lupeol linoleate reduced the extent of tubular damage as evidenced from reduced enzymuria and minimized the excretion of stone forming constituents...
- Combining betulinic acid and mithramycin a effectively suppresses pancreatic cancer by inhibiting proliferation, invasion, and angiogenesis
Department of Oncology, Shanghai Tongji University Affiliated East Hospital, Shanghai
Cancer Res 71:5182-93. 2011
..Overall, our findings argue that Sp1 is an important target of BA and MIT and that their combination can produce an enhanced therapeutic response in human pancreatic cancer...
- Antihyperglycemic effects of gymnemic acid IV, a compound derived from Gymnema sylvestre leaves in streptozotocin-diabetic mice
Department of Chemical Pharmacology, Toyama Medical and Pharmaceutical University, Sugitani, Japan
J Asian Nat Prod Res 2:321-7. 2000
..These results indicate that insulin-releasing action of gymnemic acid IV may contribute to the antihyperglycemic effect by the leaves of G. sylvestre. Gymnemic acid IV may be an anti-obese and antihyperglycemic pro-drug...
- Reduction of beta-amyloid pathology by celastrol in a transgenic mouse model of Alzheimer's disease
The Roskamp Institute, 2040 Whitfield Avenue, Sarasota, FL 34243, USA
J Neuroinflammation 7:17. 2010
..We therefore explored whether the known NFkappaB inhibitor celastrol could represent a suitable compound for decreasing Abeta production and accumulation in vivo...
- Inhibition of IkappaB kinase activity by acetyl-boswellic acids promotes apoptosis in androgen-independent PC-3 prostate cancer cells in vitro and in vivo
Department of Pharmacology of Natural Products and Clinical Pharmacology and Department of Urology, University of Ulm, Helmholtzstrasse 20, D 89081 Ulm, Germany
J Biol Chem 280:6170-80. 2005
..Thus, AKbetaBA and related compounds acting on IKK might provide a novel approach for the treatment of chemoresistant human tumors such as androgen-independent human prostate cancers...
- Saponin biosynthesis in Saponaria vaccaria. cDNAs encoding beta-amyrin synthase and a triterpene carboxylic acid glucosyltransferase
Plant Biotechnology Institute, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada S7N OW9
Plant Physiol 143:959-69. 2007
..UGT74M1 is expressed in roots and leaves and appears to be involved in monodesmoside biosynthesis in S. vaccaria...
- A novel Hsp90 inhibitor to disrupt Hsp90/Cdc37 complex against pancreatic cancer cells
Division of Pharmaceutics, College of Pharmacy, The Ohio State University, 500 West 12th Avenue, Columbus, OH 43210, USA
Mol Cancer Ther 7:162-70. 2008
..The data suggest that celastrol is a novel Hsp90 inhibitor to disrupt Hsp90-Cdc37 interaction against pancreatic cancer cells...