- Equivalent asthma control and systemic safety of inhaled budesonide delivered via HFA-134a or CFC propellant in a broad range of doses
Clinic of Phtisiopneumonology, Medical University of Lodz, Poland
Respir Med 97:S10-9. 2003
..The use of the new propellant did not modify the safety profile of inhaled budesonide...
- Copper-free click chemistry for dynamic in vivo imaging
Jeremy M Baskin
Department of Chemistry, and Howard Hughes Medical Institute, University of California, Berkeley, CA 94720, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 104:16793-7. 2007
..With this technique, we studied the dynamics of glycan trafficking and identified a population of sialoglycoconjugates with unexpectedly rapid internalization kinetics...
- Lung deposition of hydrofluoroalkane-134a beclomethasone is greater than that of chlorofluorocarbon fluticasone and chlorofluorocarbon beclomethasone : a cross-over study in healthy volunteers
Chet L Leach
3M Pharmaceuticals, St Paul, MN, USA
Chest 122:510-6. 2002
..To compare the lung deposition of radiolabeled hydrofluoroalkane-134a beclomethasone dipropionate (HFA-BDP) with chlorofluorocarbon fluticasone propionate (CFC-FP) and chlorofluorocarbon beclomethasone (CFC-BDP)...
- Fluorine in medicinal chemistry
The Chemistry Research Laboratory, 12 Mansfield Road, Oxford, UK OX1 3TA
Chem Soc Rev 37:320-30. 2008
..This tutorial review provides a sampling of renowned fluorinated drugs and their mode of action with a discussion clarifying the role and impact of fluorine substitution on drug potency...
- Comparison of the aerosol velocity and spray duration of Respimat Soft Mist inhaler and pressurized metered dose inhalers
Boehringer Ingelheim Pharma GmbH and Co KG, Ingelheim, Germany
J Aerosol Med 18:273-82. 2005
..5 sec; pMDIs, 0.15-0.36 sec). These characteristics should result in improved lung and reduced oropharyngeal deposition, and are likely to simplify coordination of inhaler actuation and inhalation compared with pMDIs...
- Extra-fine particles improve lung delivery of inhaled steroids in infants: a study in an upper airway model
Hettie M Janssens
Department of Pediatrics, Division of Respiratory Medicine, Sophia Childrens Hospital Erasmus Medical Center, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Chest 123:2083-8. 2003
..Aim: To compare the dose delivered to the lungs of HFA-BDP and CFC-BDP at different breathing patterns using an upper airway model of an infant...
- T0901317 is a potent PXR ligand: implications for the biology ascribed to LXR
The Genomics Institute of the Novartis Research Foundation, San Diego, CA 92037, USA
FEBS Lett 581:1721-6. 2007
..Since T0901317 has been widely used in animals to study LXR function, the in vivo effects of this compound ascribed to LXR activation should be re-examined...
- On the role of liver X receptors in lipid accumulation in adipocytes
Lene K Juvet
Institute for Nutrition Research, University of Oslo, N 0316 Oslo, Norway
Mol Endocrinol 17:172-82. 2003
..These findings imply a role for LXR in controlling lipid storage capacity in mature adipocytes and point to an intriguing physiological interplay between LXR and PPARgamma in controlling pathways in lipid handling...
- The liver X receptor ligand T0901317 decreases amyloid beta production in vitro and in a mouse model of Alzheimer's disease
Radosveta P Koldamova
Department of Pharmacology, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15261, USA
J Biol Chem 280:4079-88. 2005
..Our experiments demonstrate that T0901317 decreases amyloidogenic processing of APP in vitro and in vivo, thus supporting the search for potent and specific LXR ligands with properties allowing therapeutic application...
- Poly(fluoroalkyl acrylate)-bound ruthenium carbene complex: a fluorous and recyclable catalyst for ring-closing olefin metathesis
Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, The Michael Faraday Laboratories, Northern Illinois University, DeKalb, Illinois 60115, USA
J Am Chem Soc 126:74-5. 2004
..The practical advantage offered by the fluorous catalyst is demonstrated by its sequential use in up to five different metathesis reactions...
- Effect of trifluoroacetate, a persistent degradation product of fluorinated hydrocarbons, on Phaseolus vulgaris and Zea mays
Martin F Smit
School of Environmental Sciences and Development, Potchefstroom Campus, North West University, Potchefstroom 2520, North West Province, South Africa
Plant Physiol Biochem 47:623-34. 2009
- Effects of liver X receptor agonist treatment on pulmonary inflammation and host defense
Laboratory of Respiratory Biology, Department of Health and Human Services, Cellular and Molecular Pathology Branch, National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences, National Institutes of Health, Research Triangle Park, NC 27709, USA
J Immunol 180:3305-12. 2008
..Taken together, these data define a novel role for LXR in lung pathophysiology and neutrophil biology and identify pharmacologic activation of LXR as a potential tool for modulation of innate immunity in the lung...
- The liver X receptor (LXR) and hepatic lipogenesis. The carbohydrate-response element-binding protein is a target gene of LXR
Ji Young Cha
Department of Physiology, Touchstone Center for Diabetes Research, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, Texas 75390, USA
J Biol Chem 282:743-51. 2007
..This establishes LXR as a master lipogenic transcription factor, as it directly regulates both SREBP-1c and ChREBP to enhance hepatic fatty acid synthesis...
- Synthesis of a muscarinic receptor antagonist via a diastereoselective Michael reaction, selective deoxyfluorination and aromatic metal-halogen exchange reaction
Process R and D, Laboratories for Technology Development, Banyu Pharmaceutical Co Ltd, Kamimutsuna 3 Chome 9 1, Okazaki, Aichi 444 0858, Japan
J Org Chem 66:6775-86. 2001
..Finally, the highly convergent synthesis of 1 was accomplished by coupling of the two fragments. This synthesis has been used to prepare multi-kilogram quantities of the bulk drug...
- Aminodifluorosulfinium tetrafluoroborate salts as stable and crystalline deoxofluorinating reagents
OmegaChem Inc, 8800 Boul De la Rive Sud, Levis, QC G6V 9H1, Canada
Org Lett 11:5050-3. 2009
- Direct and convenient conversion of alcohols to fluorides
Department of Process Research, Merck Research Laboratories, P O Box 2000, Rahway, New Jersey 07065, USA
Org Lett 6:1465-8. 2004
..The readily available reagents are easy to handle, and the mild, almost neutral reaction conditions allow for excellent functional group compatibility. A NR(3)(HF)(3)/NR(3) ratio of </=1:2 gives the highest reactivity...
- Bronchoprotective and bronchodilator effects of an HFA pMDI vs. a CFC pMDI and a DPI containing formoterol in asthma patients
S J Langley
North West Lung Research Centre, Wythenshawe Hospital, Manchester, UK
Respiration 72:35-7. 2005
..In conclusion, Modulite HFA formoterol was found to be an effective and well tolerated treatment in patients with asthma, with comparable efficacy to current formoterol preparations...
- Effects of HFA- and CFC-beclomethasone dipropionate on the bronchial response to methacholine (MCh) in mild asthma
Department of Pneumology, Orlandi General Hospital, 37012 Bussolengo, Verona, Italy
Respir Med 99:850-5. 2005
- Effects of mometasone furoate dry powder inhaler and beclomethasone dipropionate hydrofluoroalkane and chlorofluorocarbon on the hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis in asthmatic subjects
George P Chrousos
First Department of Pediatrics, Athens University Medical School, Agia Sophia Children s Hospital, 11527 Athens, Greece
Chest 128:70-7. 2005
..The effect of MF-DPI, 400 microg qd, on the HPA axis was compared to that of beclomethasone dipropionate (BDP) using hydrofluoroalkane (HFA) and chlorofluorocarbon (CFC) propellants via metered-dose inhalers (MDIs) twice daily...
- Pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic properties of inhaled beclometasone dipropionate delivered via hydrofluoroalkane-containing devices
Department of Respiratory Diseases, Ghent University Hospital, De Pintelaan 185, B 9000 Gent, Belgium
Clin Pharmacokinet 44:815-36. 2005
..Good studies on the bioequivalence between the reference beclometasone dipropionate formulation and the Modulite or Beclazone formulations are not available...
- Development and performance of a new hydrofluoroalkane (HFA 134a)-based metered dose inhaler (MDI) of salmeterol
I D Peyron
Inhalation Product Development, GlaxoSmithKline, 23 Rue Lavoisier, Z I no 2, Evreux, 27000, France
Respir Med 99:S20-30. 2005
..0 microg. Comparability in aerosol characteristics was also demonstrated when the salmeterol HFA inhaler was tested using a large volume spacer (Volumatic)...
- Comparative improvement of asthma symptoms and expiratory flows after corticosteroid treatment: a method to assess the effect of corticosteroids on large vs. small airways?
Louis Philippe Boulet
Institut de cardiologie et de pneumologie de l Hôpital Laval, 2725 Chemin Sainte Foy, Quebec, QC, Canada G1V 4G5
Respir Med 100:496-502. 2006
..This may suggest that this ratio is not useful for evaluating the effect of corticosteroids on small airways, or that extrafine HFA-BDP acts at the level of large- to moderate-caliber airways to produce most of its beneficial effect...
- HFA inhalers
J C Koninck
Pulmonary Medicine Unit, University of Tours, France
Pediatr Pulmonol Suppl 26:23-5. 2004
- CFC Phase-Out and the Chiesi Solution
faculté de médecine Paris 5, Service de Pneumologie et Reanimation, hôpital de l Hôtel dieu, Paris, France
Respiration 72:1-2. 2005
- Hydrofluoroalkane-beclomethasone versus chlorofluorocarbon-beclomethasone delivery in neonatal models
C H Cole
The Floating Hospital for Children, Tufts New England Medical Center, Tufts University School of Medicine, Boston, MA, 02111, USA
Arch Dis Child Fetal Neonatal Ed 89:F417-8. 2004
..The delivery of hydrofluoroalkane-beclomethasone was significantly greater in each simulation...
- Comparison of the systemic pharmacodynamic effects and pharmacokinetics of salmeterol delivered by CFC propellant and non-CFC propellant metered dose inhalers in healthy subjects
Clinical Pharmacology and Discovery Medicine, GlaxoSmithKline Research and Development, Greenford Road, Greenford, Middlesex UB6 0HE, UK
Respir Med 99:S11-9. 2005
..These data indicate that the salmeterol HFA MDI would not be associated with a significantly different pharmacodynamic, safety and tolerability profile compared with the salmeterol CFC MDI...
- Salmeterol HFA is as effective as salmeterol CFC in children and adults with persistent asthma
GlaxoSmithKline Research and Development, Global Commerical Strategy, Respiratory Building 38, 1 Floor, Greenford Road, Greenford, Middlesex UB6 0HE, UK
Respir Med 99:S1-S10. 2005
..Together these data demonstrate salmeterol HFA MDI to be as effective as salmeterol CFC MDI in adults and children...
- Efficacy and safety of fluticasone propionate/salmeterol HFA 134A MDI in patients with mild-to-moderate persistent asthma
David S Pearlman
Colorado Allergy and Asthma Centers, P C, Denver, Colorado 80230, USA
J Asthma 41:797-806. 2004
..g., bronchoconstriction), with FSC results in greater overall improvements in asthma control compared with treatment of either individual component alone...
- Safety and efficacy of HFA-134a beclomethasone dipropionate extra-fine aerosol over six months
Louis Philippe Boulet
Institut Universitaire de Cardiologie et de Pneumologie, l Université Laval, Hopital Laval, Sainte Foy, Quebec
Can Respir J 11:123-30. 2004
..To compare the systemic safety and efficacy of hydrofluoroalkane beclomethasone dipropionate (HFA-BDP) extra-fine aerosol 800 microg/day with chlorofluorocarbon (CFC)-BDP 1500 microg/day...
- A comparison of the efficacy and tolerability of single doses of HFA 134a albuterol and CFC albuterol in mild-to-moderate asthmatic patients
Stephen J Langley
Medicines Evaluation Unit, North West Lung Research Center, Wythenshawe Hospital, Manchester, United Kingdom
Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol 88:488-93. 2002
..After the signing of the Montreal Protocol in 1987, new propellants for use in pressurized metered-dose inhalers that are non-ozone-depleting have been developed...
- Treatment of exercise-induced asthma with beclomethasone dipropionate in children with asthma
Dept of Paediatrics, Kolding Hospital, 6000 Kolding, Denmark
Eur Respir J 24:932-7. 2004
..Further studies are needed to assess whether q.d. administration of beclomethasone dipropionate is as effective as b.i.d. administration...
- Optimizing aerosol delivery by pressurized metered-dose inhalers
Bruce K Rubin
Wake Forest University School of Medicine, Winston Salem, North Carolina 27157 1081, USA
Respir Care 50:1191-200. 2005
..In this manuscript we discuss ways to optimize the use of medications given via pMDI and examine recent changes in pMDI technology that will make drug delivery more efficient and consistent...
- The CFC to HFA transition and its impact on pulmonary drug development
Chet L Leach
Lovelace Respiratory Research Institute, Albuquerque, New Mexico 87108, USA
Respir Care 50:1201-8. 2005
..The transition from CFCs also spurred novel new drug-delivery technologies, improved dry powder inhalers, and highly dispersible engineered powders...
- Budesonide administered using chlorofluorocarbon and hydrofluoroalkane pressurized metered-dose inhalers: pharmacokinetics, pharmacodynamics and clinical equivalence
Respiratory Pharmacology, South Manchester University Hospitals Trust, University of Manchester, Manchester, UK
Int J Clin Pharmacol Ther 45:485-95. 2007
..However, there is a need to ensure that pMDIs with these novel propellants are as effective and safe as their older counterparts...
- Albuterol inhalers
Nicholas J Gross
N Engl J Med 356:2749; author reply 2749. 2007
- Withdrawal of albuterol inhalers containing chlorofluorocarbon propellants
College of Pharmacy and the Pediatric Pulmonary Division, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL 32610 0486, USA
N Engl J Med 356:1344-51. 2007
- Efficacy and safety of fluticasone propionate hydrofluoroalkane inhalation aerosol in pre-school-age children with asthma: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study
Paul Y Qaqundah
Pediatric Medical Care Group, Inc, Huntington Beach, CA, USA
J Pediatr 149:663-670. 2006
..To evaluate the efficacy and tolerability of fluticasone propionate (FP) hydrofluoroalkane (HFA) in children age 1 to < 4 years with asthma...
- Pharmacokinetics of beclomethasone dipropionate in an hydrofluoroalkane-134a propellant system in Japanese children with bronchial asthma
Department of Pediatrics, Graduate School of Medicine, Gifu University, 1 1 Yanagido, Gifu, Japan
Allergol Int 55:317-20. 2006
..This is the first report of the pharmacokinetics of beclomethasone dipropionate (BDP) delivered from a pressurized solution formulation using an HFA propellant system (HFA-BDP) in Japanese children with bronchial asthma...
- Efficacy of beclomethasone dipropionate HFA 200 microg once daily in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and bronchial asthma
Pulmonology Clinic, Evangelismos General Hospital, Athens, Greece
J Int Med Res 35:361-73. 2007
- Usefulness of HFA-BDP for adult patients with bronchial asthma: randomized crossover study with fluticasone
Department of Respiratory Medicine, Second Teaching Hospital, Fujita Health University School of Medicine, Nagoya, Aichi, Japan
J Asthma 43:509-12. 2006
..05 and < 0.01, respectively) when on HFA-BDP versus fluticasone DPI. HFA-BDP might be delivered to small airways more effectively than fluticasone DPI...
- Clinical comparability between the CFC and HFA budesonide pressurised metered-dose inhalers in paediatric patients with asthma: a randomised controlled trial
Unidad de Neumologia Infantil, Servicio de Pediatria, Hospital Clinico Universitario, Universidad de Valencia, Valencia, Spain
Curr Med Res Opin 22:1085-92. 2006
- One-year evaluation of the preventative effect of hydrofluoroalkane-beclomethasone dipropionate on eosinophilic inflammation of asthmatic peripheral airways
Department of Allergy and Respiratory Medicine, Tohno Kousei Hospital, Mizunami, Gifu Pref 509 6101, Japan
Respiration 74:146-53. 2007
..In asthmatic patients with eosinophilic inflammation of the peripheral airways, appropriate drug delivery to the affected area is required...
- Spray pattern analysis for metered dose inhalers: effect of actuator design
College of Pharmacy, University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, NM 87131, USA
Pharm Res 23:1591-6. 2006
..This study was conducted to identify the device factors influencing spray pattern and particle size to gain a more complete understanding of spray plume measurements...
- A comparison of 2 extrafine hydrofluoroalkane-134a-beclomethasone formulations on methacholine hyperresponsiveness
Tom C Fardon
Asthma and Allergy Research Group, Division of Clinical Pharmacology and Therapeutics, Ninewells Hospital and Medical School, University of Dundee, Dundee, Scotland
Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol 96:422-30. 2006
..Thus, extrafine particle formulations of inhaled corticosteroids are of clinical interest...
- Effects of hydrofluoroalkane and dry powder-formulated corticosteroids on sputum inflammatory markers in asthmatic patients
Meakins Christie Laboratories, McGill University, Montreal, Canada
Can Respir J 13:73-8. 2006
..Inflammatory characteristics of induced sputum have been shown to differ in samples collected early after sputum induction compared with later...
- Fluticasone propionate hydrofluoroalkane inhalation aerosol in patients receiving inhaled corticosteroids
William R Lumry
AARA Research Center, Dallas, TX 75231, USA
Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol 96:51-9. 2006
..Therefore, some metered-dose inhaler products are being reformulated with "ozone-friendly" hydrofluoroalkane propellants...
- Fluticasone propionate HFA-134a pressurized metered-dose inhaler in adolescents and adults with moderate to severe asthma
Jacob L Pinnas
University of Arizona School of Medicine, Tucson, Arizona, USA
J Asthma 42:865-71. 2005
..The incidence of adverse events and 24-hour urine cortisol excretion rates were similar between active treatments and placebo...
- Application of USP inlet extensions to the TSI impactor system 3306/3320 using HFA 227 based solution metered dose inhalers
College of Pharmacy, University of Arizona, 1703 E Mabel St, Rm 437, Tucson, AZ, USA
Drug Dev Ind Pharm 31:977-85. 2005
..Additionally, the results generated from this study were used to evaluate the product performance of HFA 227 based solution formulations that contain varying concentrations of ethanol as a cosolvent...
- Propellant-driven metered-dose inhalers for pulmonary drug delivery
Hugh D C Smyth
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, School of Pharmacy, NC 27599, USA
Expert Opin Drug Deliv 2:53-74. 2005
..The ability to succeed in these areas will be largely determined by the willingness to invest in fundamental research of pMDI technologies...
- Pharmacodynamic equivalence study of CFC-free and CFC-containing procaterol hydrochloride metered-dose inhalers
Department of Respiratory Disease, Kouseikai Takaori Hospital Medical Corporation, Sakyo ku, Kyoto, Japan
Methods Find Exp Clin Pharmacol 27:555-8. 2005
..0507 to 0.0039 (L) for mean AUC (FEV1)/h and -0.056 to 0.026 (L) for mean peak FEV1, both within the acceptance criteria of -0.15 to 0.15 (L). Meptin [HFA] was therefore assessed as being equivalent to the current Meptin [CFC]...
- Part III: Location of asthma inflammation and the distal airways: clinical implications
Duke Asthma, Allergy, and Airway Center, Duke University, Durham, NC 27710, USA
Curr Med Res Opin 23:S21-7. 2007
..Due to their highly targeted delivery systems, newer HFA-based formulations have the potential to effectively treat asthma at reduced doses...
- Aerosol therapy: assume nothing and require data
Paula J Anderson
Respir Care 48:1016-8. 2003
- In vitro performance of two common valved holding chambers with a chlorofluorocarbon-free beclomethasone metered-dose inhaler
Michael J Asmus
Department of Pharmacy Practice, College of Pharmacy, University of Florida, Gainesville 32610 0486, USA
Pharmacotherapy 23:1538-44. 2003
- Clinical studies in asthmatics with a new non-extra fine HFA formulation of beclometasone dipropionate (BDP Modulite)
Hopital Arnaud de Villeneuve, Montpellier, France
Respir Med 96:S17-27. 2002
..In conclusion, the results of the clinical studies with BDP Modulite show that this new HFA formulation allows a seamless transition to CFC-free BDP, thus simplifying the changeover...
- Modulite technology: pharmacodynamic and pharmacokinetic implications
North West Lung Research Centre, Manchester, U K
Respir Med 96:S9-15. 2002
..Plasma profile of BDP and B17MP were similar after inhalation from BDP Modulite with standard actuator or delivered via a spacer, suggesting that pulmonary delivery of BDP to the lung is similar with both actuators...
- Balancing ethanol cosolvent concentration with product performance in 134a-based pressurized metered dose inhalers
College of Pharmacy, University of Arizona, Tucson 85721, USA
J Aerosol Med 16:167-74. 2003
..This study illustrates the importance of considering both formulation properties and product performance characteristics when optimizing a metered dose inhaler drug delivery system...
- Therapeutic ratio of hydrofluoroalkane and chlorofluorocarbon formulations of fluticasone propionate
Stephen J Fowler
Asthma and Allergy Research Group, Department of Clinical Pharmacology and Therapeutics, Ninewells Hospital and Medical School, University of Dundee, Dundee, UK
Chest 122:618-23. 2002
..To compare the therapeutic ratio of chlorofluorocarbon (CFC) and hydrofluoroalkane-134a (HFA) formulations of fluticasone propionate (FP)...
- A neglected breakthrough in asthma therapy
H Morrow Brown
Lancet 361:433-4. 2003
- Local versus total systemic bioavailability of beclomethasone dipropionate CFC and HFA metered dose inhaler formulations
Lester I Harrison
3M Pharmaceuticals, St Paul, Minnesota 55144, USA
J Aerosol Med 15:401-6. 2002
..It is recommended that this parameter be considered whenever deposition and pharmacokinetic data for two formulations of the same inhaled substance are compared...
- Effects on lung function, symptoms, and bronchial hyperreactivity of low-dose inhaled beclomethasone dipropionate given with HFA-134a or CFC propellant
North West Lung Centre, Wythenshawe Hospital, Manchester, UK
J Aerosol Med 15:407-14. 2002
..Further studies are needed using higher doses in moderate to severe asthma to confirm these preliminary findings...
- Switching from conventional to extrafine aerosol beclomethasone dipropionate therapy in children: a 6-month, open- label, randomized trial
Stanley J Szefler
National Jewish Medical and Research Center, Denver, CO 80206, USA
J Allergy Clin Immunol 110:45-50. 2002
..In adults with asthma, hydrofluoralkane-134a beclomethasone dipropionate (HFA-BDP) extrafine aerosol provides equivalent asthma control at half the daily dose of conventional chlorofluorocarbon (CFC)-BDP...
- Growth, systemic safety, and efficacy during 1 year of asthma treatment with different beclomethasone dipropionate formulations: an open-label, randomized comparison of extrafine and conventional aerosols in children
paediatrisk afdeling, Kolding Sygehus, Kolding, Denmark
Pediatrics 109:e92. 2002
- Efficacy of HFA-beclomethasone dipropionate extra-fine aerosol (800 microg day(-1)) versus HFA-fluticasone propionate (1000 microg day(-1)) in patients with asthma
Service de Pneumologie, H pital Bichat, Paris, France
Respir Med 95:212-20. 2001
..In conclusion, this study showed that, in patients with moderate-to-severe symptomatic asthma, HFA-BDP extra-fine aerosol 800 microg(-1) was at least as effective and equally well tolerated as 1000 microg day(-1) HFA-FP...
- Hydrofluoroalkane-134a beclomethasone as a dominant economic asthma therapy
D C Malone
Center for Health Outcomes and PharmacoEconomic Research, College of Pharmacy, University of Arizona Health Sciences Center, 1703 E Mabel Street, Tucson, AZ 85721 0207, USA
Respir Med 97:1269-76. 2003
..The median incremental cost-effectiveness ratio was dollars -5.77 (95% CI: dollars -68.08 to dollars -4.08). The results of this analysis indicate that HFA-BDP was a dominant therapy (more effective, less costly) compared to CFC-BDP...
- The delivery of chlorofluorocarbon-propelled versus hydrofluoroalkane-propelled beclomethasone dipropionate aerosol to the mechanically ventilated patient: a laboratory study
Jolyon P Mitchell
Trudell Medical International, London, Ontario, Canada
Respir Care 48:1025-32. 2003
- Efficacy response of inhaled HFA-albuterol delivered via the breath-actuated Autohaler inhalation device is comparable to dose in patients with asthma
Pharmaceutical Research and Consulting, Dallas, Texas 75231, USA
J Asthma 40:487-95. 2003
- Step-down therapy with low-dose fluticasone-salmeterol combination or medium-dose hydrofluoroalkane 134a-beclomethasone alone
Stephen J Fowler
Asthma and Allergy Research Group, Department of Clinical Pharmacology and Therapeutic, Ninewells Hospital and Medical School, University of Dundee, Dundee, Scotland
J Allergy Clin Immunol 109:929-35. 2002
..Options for step-down therapy include use of inhaled corticosteroids alone or in combination with a long-acting beta2-agonist...
- A new HFA-134a propellant in the administration of inhaled BDP via the Jet spacer: controlled clinical trial vs the conventional CFC
Pneumology Department, Prague, Czech Republic
Respir Med 96:784-9. 2002
..In conclusion, the BDP-HFA-134a formulation proved to be equivalent in efficacy and comparable in safety to the standard BDP-CFC product over 12 weeks in adult patients with mild-to-moderate persistent asthma...
- Factors affecting the efficiency of aerosol therapy with pressurised metered-dose inhalers through plastic spacers
A A Chuffart
Department of Respiratory Medicine, University Children's Hospital, , Switzerland
Swiss Med Wkly 131:14-8. 2001
..Using an optimal pMDI/spacer combination leads to a significantly improved bronchodilator response...
- Perfluorooctanesulfonate and related fluorinated hydrocarbons in marine mammals, fishes, and birds from coasts of the Baltic and the Mediterranean Seas
National Food Safety and Toxicology Center, Department of Zoology, Institute for Environmental Toxicology, Michigan State University, East Lansing 48824, USA
Environ Sci Technol 36:3210-6. 2002
..PFOS is a widespread contaminant in wildlife from the Baltic and the Mediterranean Seas, while FOSA and PFOA were detected only in certain locations indicating their sporadic spatial distribution...
- Attenuation of methane and volatile organic compounds in landfill soil covers
Environment and Resources, Bygningstorvet Building 115, Technical University of Denmark, DK 2800 Lyngby, Denmark
J Environ Qual 33:61-71. 2004
..In total, 26 VOCs were investigated, including chlorinated methanes, ethanes, ethenes, fluorinated hydrocarbons, and aromatic hydrocarbons...
- Occupational exposure to fluorinated hydrocarbons during refrigeration repair work
National Institute of Occupational Health, PO Box 8149 Dep, N 0033 Oslo, Norway
J Environ Monit 5:236-40. 2003
..Phosgene was not detected. A large number of VOCs in various concentrations were found during welding. Except for the applied refrigerants, halogenated compounds were only found in one sample...
- Computer simulations of propofol infusions for total intravenous anaesthesia in dogs
K E Joubert
Veterinary Anaesthesia, Analgesia and Critical Care Services, PO Box 1898, Lonehill, 2062 South Africa
J S Afr Vet Assoc 80:2-9. 2009
..The agents desflurane and sevoflurane are fluorinated hydrocarbons and act as greenhouse gases...
- Perfluorooctanesulfonate and related fluorinated hydrocarbons in mink and river otters from the United States
National Food Safety and Toxicology Center, Department of Zoology, Institute of Environmental Toxicology, Michigan State University, East Lansing 48824, USA
Environ Sci Technol 36:2566-71. 2002
..PFOS was detected in livers of all river otters collected from Washington and Oregon at concentrations ranging from 25 to 994 ng/g, wet wt...
- Hydrofluoric acid burn in a child from a compressed air duster
Department of Surgery, University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida 32610 0286, USA
J Burn Care Res 28:909-12. 2007
Abuse of fluorinated hydrocarbons is on the rise, especially among the adolescent population. These products are potentially hazardous and pose substantial risks when abused...
- Interaction between various resistance modifiers and apoptosis inducer 12H-benzo[alpha]phenothiazine
Department of Medical Microbiology, Faculty of General Medicine, University of Szeged, Hungary
Anticancer Res 22:2833-6. 2002
..The resistance modifier compounds alone also induced apoptosis and it was slightly higher in the parent cells than its MDR1/A gene-transformed subline...
- Special applications of fluorinated organic compounds
Institute of Chemical Organic Technology, Szczecin University of Technology, Pl 70 322 Szczecin, Pułaskiego 10, Poland
J Hazard Mater 136:385-91. 2006
..Recent achievements in methods of the fluorination and general principles of the synthesis of useful perfluorinated organic compounds are given as well...
- Role of cytochrome P4503A in cysteine S-conjugates sulfoxidation and the nephrotoxicity of the sevoflurane degradation product fluoromethyl-2,2-difluoro-1-(trifluoromethyl)vinyl ether (compound A) in rats
Department of Anesthesiology, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington 98195 6540, USA
Chem Res Toxicol 17:1177-89. 2004
..FDVE S-conjugates sulfoxidation constitutes a newly discovered mechanism of FDVE bioactivation and toxicification in rats, in addition to beta-lyase-catalyzed metabolism of FDVE-cysteine S-conjugates...
- Oxygen therapeutics--current concepts
S E Hill
Department of Anesthesiology, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina 27710, USA
Can J Anaesth 48:S32-40. 2001
..These oxygen transport agents can be divided into two main groups, perfluorocarbon (PFC) emulsions and modified hemoglobin solutions...
- Cytosolic heat shock proteins and heme oxygenase-1 are preferentially induced in response to specific and localized intramitochondrial damage by tetrafluoroethylcysteine
Han K Ho
Department of Medicinal Chemistry, University of Washington, Box 357610, Seattle, WA 98195, USA
Biochem Pharmacol 72:80-90. 2006
..The cytoprotective effects of such HSP responses suggest a plausible role in modulating the progression of TFEC-induced cellular injury...
- A cobalt(II) hexafluoroacetylacetonate ethylenediamine complex as a CVD molecular source of cobalt oxide nanostructures
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Padova University, 35131 Padova, Italy
Inorg Chem 48:82-9. 2009
..Preliminary chemical vapor deposition (CVD) experiments highlight its very promising features as a CVD/atomic layer deposition molecular source for cobalt oxide nanosystems...
- Syntheses, structures and photophysical properties of heterotrinuclear Zn2Ln clusters (Ln = Nd, Eu, Tb, Er, Yb)
Hai Bing Xu
MOE Laboratory of Bioinorganic and Synthetic Chemistry State Key Laboratory of Optoelectronic Materials and Technologies, School of Chemistry and Chemical Engineering, Sun Yat Sen University, Guangzhou, 510275, China
Dalton Trans 39:5676-82. 2010
..By virtue of the dual luminescence with complementary colours, the Znq(2)-based cyan emission and Eu(III)-centred red luminescence are combined to generate a white-light emission in the Zn(2)Eu (3) complex...
- Synthesis and evaluation of 2-(2-fluoro-4-hydroxymethyl-5-methoxy-phenoxy)acetic acid as a linker in solid-phase synthesis monitored by gel-phase (19)F NMR spectroscopy
Fredrik K Wallner
Department of Chemistry, Umea University, SE 90187 Umea, Sweden
Org Biomol Chem 5:2464-71. 2007
..Direct glycosylation of the linker itself followed by mild acidic cleavage gave a fully protected hemiacetal for further chemical manipulation...
- Evaluation of the temperature of different refrigerant sprays used as a pulpal test
Carlos Alberto Herrero de Morais
Department of Dentistry, Maringá State University UEM, Maringa, PR, Brazil
Aust Endod J 34:86-8. 2008
..Results indicate that Endo-Ice and Endo-Frost presented the lowest temperatures among the refrigerant sprays tested. Temperatures measured inside the pulp chamber, however, were statistically similar in all groups...
- Atmospheric chemistry of HFE-7000 (CF(3)CF (2)CF (2)OCH (3)) and 2,2,3,3,4,4,4-heptafluoro-1-butanol (CF (3)CF (2)CF (2)CH (2)OH): kinetic rate coefficients and temperature dependence of reactions with chlorine atoms
Facultad Químicas, Departamento Quimica Fisica, Universidad de Castilla La Mancha, Avda Camilo Jose Cela 10, E 13071, Ciudad Real, Spain
Environ Sci Pollut Res Int 15:584-91. 2008
..In the present work, we report the results obtained in the study of the reactions of Cl radicals with HFE-7000 (CF(3)CF(2)CF(2)OCH(3)) (1) and its isomer CF(3)CF(2)CF(2)CH(2)OH (2)...
- A facile synthesis of C-24 and C-25 oxysterols by in situ generated ethyl(trifluoromethyl)dioxirane
Department of Chemistry, College of Humanities and Sciences, Nihon University, Sakurajousui, Setagaya, Tokyo 156 8550, Japan
Steroids 74:81-7. 2009
..e., 25-hydroxycholesterol, as well as its 3-sulfate (overall yield of the sulfate, 24%) and 24-oxocholesterol (16%), starting from cholesterol...
- The effect of hexafluorocyclobutene on rat bronchoalveolar lavage fluid surfactant phospholipids and alveolar type II cells
Biomedical Sciences Department, Chemical and Biological Defence Sector, Salisbury, Wiltshire, UK
Hum Exp Toxicol 20:267-76. 2001
..These differences suggest different mechanisms of action even though pulmonary oedema is the final injury for all gases. Better knowledge of the mechanisms involved will improve prospects for prophylactic/therapeutic intervention...
- Switching from Ventolin CFC to Ventolin HFA is well tolerated and effective in patients with asthma
AARA Research Center, Dallas, TX 75231, USA
Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol 86:297-303. 2001
..Environmental imperatives to eliminate the use of chlorofluorocarbon (CFC) propellants in metered-dose inhalers have led to the development of metered-dose inhalers with the hydrofluoroalkane (HFA-134a) propellants...
- ortho-Selective phenol-coupling reaction by anodic treatment on boron-doped diamond electrode using fluorinated alcohols
Rheinische Friedrich Wilhelms Universitat Bonn, Kekule Institut fur Organische Chemie und Biochemie, Gerhard Domagk Strasse 1, 53121 Bonn, Germany
Chemistry 15:2273-7. 2009
..At partial conversion, a clean transformation is achieved that can be applied to electron-rich as well as fluorinated phenols...
- Only carbon dioxide absorbents free of both NaOH and KOH do not generate compound A during in vitro closed-system sevoflurane: evaluation of five absorbents
L F Versichelen
Department of Anesthesia, Ghent University Hospital, Belgium
Anesthesiology 95:750-5. 2001
..Insufficient data exist on the production of compound A during closed-system sevoflurane administration with newer carbon dioxide absorbents...
- Iridium-catalyzed reactions of trifluoromethylated compounds with alkenes: a C(sp3)-H bond activation alpha to the trifluoromethyl group
Department of Chemistry, Okayama University of Science, 1 1, Ridai cho, Okayama 700 0005, Japan
Angew Chem Int Ed Engl 48:2047-9. 2009
..This atom-economical reaction occurs under neutral reaction conditions and without the formation of undesired defluorinated by-products, even at high temperature...
- Global analysis of nuclear receptor expression and dysregulation in human osteoarthritic articular cartilage: reduced LXR signaling contributes to catabolic metabolism typical of osteoarthritis
L A Collins-Racie
Department of Biological Technologies, Cambridge, MA 02140, USA
Osteoarthritis Cartilage 17:832-42. 2009
..Compare the expression and regulation of nuclear receptors (NRs) in osteoarthritic and normal human articular cartilage...
- Synthesis of 3'-deoxynucleosides with 2-oxabicyclo[3.1.0]hexane sugar moieties: addition of difluorocarbene to a 3',4'-unsaturated uridine derivative and 1,2-dihydrofurans derived from D- and L-xylose1
Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, Brigham Young University, Provo, Utah 84602 5700, USA
J Org Chem 72:3319-25. 2007
..Removal of base- and sugar-protecting groups gave new difluoromethylene-bridged nucleoside analogues...
- A-band methyl halide dissociation via electronic curve crossing as studied by electron energy loss spectroscopy
Department of Physics, Sophia University, Tokyo 102 8554, Japan
J Chem Phys 133:054304. 2010
..The effect of electronic-state curve crossing emerged in the transition probabilities for the (3)Q(0) and (1)Q(1) states, with spin-orbit splitting observed and quantified against results from recent ab initio studies...
- Addition of difluorocarbene to 3',4'-unsaturated nucleosides: synthesis of 2'-deoxy analogues with a 2-oxabicyclo[3.1.0]hexane framework
Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, Brigham Young University, Provo, Utah 84602 5700, USA
J Org Chem 72:532-7. 2007
..The solid-state conformation of the nearly planar furanosyl ring in the uracil compound had a shallow 2E pucker, and a more pronounced 1E conformation was present in the furanosyl ring of the cytosine derivative...
- Surface modification of an experimental silicone rubber aimed at reducing initial candidal adhesion
Department of Dental Health and Biological Sciences, Dental School, University of Wales College of Medicine, Heath Park, Cardiff CF14 4XY UK
J Biomed Mater Res 63:122-8. 2002
..In conclusion, silane surface treatment of an experimental silicone rubber has been successful in reducing candidal adherence...
- Temporal trends of polyfluoroalkyl compounds in harbor seals (Phoca vitulina) from the German Bight, 1999-2008
GKSS Research Centre Geesthacht, Department for Environmental Chemistry, Institute for Coastal Research, DE 21502 Geesthacht, Germany
Chemosphere 76:151-8. 2009
..070), the high concentrations of PFOS and constant levels of C(9)-C(13) PFCAs indicates that further work on the reduction of environmental emissions of PFCs are necessary...
- Ring-fluorinated isoquinoline and quinoline synthesis: intramolecular cyclization of o-cyano- and o-isocyano-beta,beta-difluorostyrenes
Department of Chemistry, Graduate School of Science, The University of Tokyo, Hongo, Bunkyo ku, Tokyo 113 0033, Japan
Org Lett 5:1455-8. 2003
..Subsequent cyclization via substitution of the fluorine leads to 3-fluoroquinolines. [reaction: see text]..
- Methodology for characterizing heat removal mechanism in human skin during cryogen spray cooling
Brian M Pikkula
Department of Bioengineering, Rice University, Houston, TX 77251, USA
Ann Biomed Eng 31:493-504. 2003
..Data demonstrate that during CSC, evaporation is the dominant heat transfer mechanism in materials with higher thermal diffusivities; however, conductive cooling dominates in substrates with lower thermal diffusivities such as skin...
- [Hydrofluoroalkane as a propellant for pressurized metered-dose inhalers: history, pulmonary deposition, pharmacokinetics, efficacy and safety]
Cassio C Ibiapina
Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais UFMG, Belo Horizonte, MG
J Pediatr (Rio J) 80:441-6. 2004
..To review the literature about hydrofluoroalkane as a propellent of pressurized metered-dose inhalers containing anti-asthma drugs...
- Polyfluoroalkyl chemicals in pooled blood serum from infants, children, and adults in Australia
Leisa Maree L Toms
The University of Queensland, National Research Centre for Environmental Toxicology, 39 Kessels Road, Coopers Plains, Queensland 4108, Australia
Environ Sci Technol 43:4194-9. 2009