Genomes and Genes
Summary: An organochlorine insecticide that has been used as a pediculicide and a scabicide. It has been shown to cause cancer.
Publications317 found, 100 shown here
- Exposure to environmental hexachlorocyclohexane (HCH) and dichlorodiphenyltrichloroethane (DDT) among rural children in north eastern ChinaYan Lu
Department of Hygienic Toxicology, College of Public Health, Harbin Medical University, 157 Baojian Road, Harbin, Heilongjiang, China
Biomed Environ Sci 23:230-3. 2010..To assess HCH and DDT exposure levels and associated risk factors among 262 children aged 6-10 years in a northeastern rural area of China between April and May of 2008...
- Aerobic degradation of lindane (gamma-hexachlorocyclohexane) in bacteria and its biochemical and molecular basisYuji Nagata
Department of Environmental Life Sciences, Graduate School of Life Sciences, Tohoku University, 2 1 1 Katahira, Sendai, 980 8577, Japan
Appl Microbiol Biotechnol 76:741-52. 2007gamma-Hexachlorocyclohexane (gamma-HCH, also called gamma-BHC and lindane) is a halogenated organic insecticide that causes serious environmental problems...
- Enhanced biodegradation of beta- and delta-hexachlorocyclohexane in the presence of alpha- and gamma-isomers in contaminated soilsManish Kumar
Industrial Toxicology Research Centre, Post Box No 80, Mahatma Gandhi Marg, Lucknow 226 001, India
Environ Sci Technol 39:4005-11. 2005..The degradation of soil-applied beta- and delta-HCH under aerobic conditions has not been reported earlier. The isolate ITRC-5 therefore demonstrates potential for the bioremediation of HCH-wastes and contaminated soils...
- Proposal of biostimulation for hexachlorocyclohexane (HCH)-decontamination and characterization of culturable bacterial community from high-dose point HCH-contaminated soilsM Dadhwal
Department of Zoology, University of Delhi, Delhi, India
J Appl Microbiol 106:381-92. 2009..To locate a high-dose point hexachlorocyclohexane (HCH)-contaminated site, to identify HCH-degrading bacteria in it and assay HCH-decontamination by biostimulation...
- Behaviour of alpha-, beta-, gamma-, and delta-hexachlorocyclohexane in the soil-plant system of a contaminated siteR Calvelo Pereira
Departamento de Edafoloxia e Quimica Agricola, Facultade de Bioloxia, Universidade de Santiago de Compostela, 15782 Santiago de Compostela, Spain
Environ Pollut 144:210-7. 2006..The results reflect the importance of vegetation in the distribution of organochlorine compounds in the soil-plant system...
- Lindane and cell death: at the crossroads between apoptosis, necrosis and autophagyNathalie Zucchini-Pascal
Laboratoire de Toxicologie Cellulaire, Moléculaire et Génomique, INRA, UMR 1089, 06903 Sophia Antipolis, France
Toxicology 256:32-41. 2009b>Lindane, a persistent organochlorine pesticide, is recognized as a major public health concern because of its potential toxic effects on human health...
- Non-hodgkin's lymphoma and agricultural use of the insecticide lindaneA Blair
Occupational Epidemiology Branch, National Cancer Institute, Bethesda, Maryland 20892 7364, USA
Am J Ind Med 33:82-7. 1998..These data provided the opportunity to evaluate the risk of non-Hodgkin's lymphoma from potential exposures to lindane, a pesticide that causes cancer in laboratory animals and has been associated with human cancer in a few ..
- Evaluation of hexachlorocyclohexane contamination from the last lindane production plant operating in IndiaSimran Jit
Department of Zoology, University of Delhi, Delhi, 110007, India
Environ Sci Pollut Res Int 18:586-97. 2011Hexachlorocyclohexane (HCH), β-HCH, and lindane (γ-HCH) were listed as persistent organic pollutants by the Stockholm Convention in 2009 and hence must be phased out and their wastes/stockpiles eliminated...
- The lin genes for γ-hexachlorocyclohexane degradation in Sphingomonas sp. MM-1 proved to be dispersed across multiple plasmidsMichiro Tabata
Department of Environmental Life Sciences, Graduate School of Life Sciences, Tohoku University, Sendai, Japan
Biosci Biotechnol Biochem 75:466-72. 2011..Southern blot analysis revealed that all seven lin genes were dispersed across three of the four plasmids, and that IS6100, often found close to the lin genes, was present on all four plasmids...
- Use of alpha-, beta- and gamma-hexachlorocyclohexane in Europe, 1970-1996K Breivik
Norwegian Institute for Air Research, Kjeller, Norway
Sci Total Environ 239:151-63. 1999..The results suggest that 382,000 t of technical HCH and 81,000 t of lindane were used in Europe from 1970 to 1996...
- Serum concentrations of beta-hexachlorocyclohexane in groups of the Italian general population: a human biomonitoring studyAnna Maria Ingelido
Dipartimento di Ambiente e Connessa Prevenzione Primaria, Istituto Superiore di Sanita, Rome, Italy
Ann Ist Super Sanita 45:401-8. 2009..64 and 300 ng/g fat, with a median value of 18.0 ng/g fat and a 90th percentile of 65.9 ng/g fat. The serum concentrations detected are in line with those detected in most Western European countries...
- Enhanced biodegradation of hexachlorocyclohexane (HCH) in contaminated soils via inoculation with Sphingobium indicum B90AVishakha Raina
Department of Zoology, University of Delhi, Delhi 110007, India
Biodegradation 19:27-40. 2008..Overall, these results indicate that on-site aerobic bioremediation of HCH exploiting the biodegradation activity of S. indicum B90A cells stored on corncob powder is a promising technology...
- Cloning and characterization of lin genes responsible for the degradation of Hexachlorocyclohexane isomers by Sphingomonas paucimobilis strain B90Rekha Kumari
Department of Zoology, University of Delhi, India
Appl Environ Microbiol 68:6021-8. 2002..The gene structures around the linA1 and linA2 genes of strain B90, compared to those in strain UT26, are suggestive of a recombination between linA1 and linA2, which formed linA of strain UT26...
- Cloning and characterization of linR, involved in regulation of the downstream pathway for gamma-hexachlorocyclohexane degradation in Sphingomonas paucimobilis UT26Keisuke Miyauchi
Department of Biotechnology, The University of Tokyo, 1 1 1 Yayoi, Bunkyo ku, Tokyo 113 8657, Japan
Appl Environ Microbiol 68:1803-7. 2002..These results indicated that the linR gene is directly involved in the inducible expression of the linD and linE genes...
- 16S rDNA phylogeny and distribution of lin genes in novel hexachlorocyclohexane-degrading Sphingomonas strainsDietmar Böltner
Department of Plant Biochemistry and Molecular and Cellular Biology, Estacion Experimental del Zaidin, CSIC, Calle Profesor Albareda 1, Granada 18008, Spain
Environ Microbiol 7:1329-38. 2005..The loss of the ability to degrade gamma-HCH was associated with the deletion of the linA gene, probably due to recombination involving IS6100 elements, of which several copies are located in the lin cluster region...
- Protective role of curcumin on lindane induced reproductive toxicity in male Wistar ratsPoonam Sharma
Department of Zoology, Institute of Basic Sciences, Bundelkhand University, Kanpur Road, Jhansi 284128, India
Bull Environ Contam Toxicol 84:378-84. 2010The aim of this study was to explore the adverse effects of lindane pesticide on testes and epididymus weight, sperm head counts, sperm motility, abnormal changes in sperm morphology, biochemical changes in endogenous antioxidants and ..
- Plasmid-encoded gamma-hexachlorocyclohexane degradation genes and insertion sequences in Sphingobium francense (ex-Sphingomonas paucimobilis Sp+)Hélène Cérémonie
Ecologie Microbienne UMR CNRS 5557, Universite Claude Bernard Lyon 1, Villeurbanne Cedex, France
FEMS Microbiol Lett 257:243-52. 2006The lin genes encode the gamma-hexachlorocyclohexane (gamma-HCH or lindane) catabolic pathway in lindane-degrading strains...
- Biodegradation of hexachlorocyclohexane (HCH) by microorganismsTheresa M Phillips
Department of Environmental Biology, University of Guelph, Guelph, Ontario, Canada, N1G 2W1
Biodegradation 16:363-92. 2005The organochlorine pesticide Lindane is the gamma-isomer of hexachlorocyclohexane (HCH)...
- Reductive dechlorination of beta-hexachlorocyclohexane (beta-HCH) by a Dehalobacter species in coculture with a Sedimentibacter spWim van Doesburg
Laboratory of Microbiology, Wageningen University and Research Centre, The Netherlands
FEMS Microbiol Ecol 54:87-95. 2005..requires the presence of Sedimentibacter for growth and dechlorination, but the function of the latter bacterium is not clear. This is the first report on the metabolic dechlorination of beta-HCH by a defined anaerobic bacterial culture...
- Hexachlorocyclohexane (HCH) as new Stockholm Convention POPs--a global perspective on the management of Lindane and its waste isomersJohn Vijgen
International HCH and Pesticides Association IHPA, Elmevej 14, Holte 2840, Denmark
Environ Sci Pollut Res Int 18:152-62. 2011Hexachlorocyclohexane (HCH) isomers (α-, β- and γ- (Lindane)) were recently included as new persistent organic pollutants (POPs) in the Stockholm Convention, and therefore, the legacy of HCH and Lindane production became a ..
- Disruption of gap junctional intercellular communication by lindane is associated with aberrant localization of connexin43 and zonula occludens-1 in 42GPA9 Sertoli cellsN Defamie
INSERM EMI 00-09, IFR 50, , Avenue de Valombrose, 06107 Nice cedex, France
Carcinogenesis 22:1537-42. 2001b>Lindane (gamma-hexachlorocyclohexane) is a lipid-soluble pesticide that exerts carcinogenic and reprotoxic properties. The mechanisms by which lindane alters testicular function are unclear...
- Responsiveness of cerebral and hepatic cytochrome P450s in rat offspring prenatally exposed to lindaneAshu Johri
Developmental Toxicology Division, Indian Institute of Toxicology Research formerly Industrial Toxicology Research Centre, P O Box 80, M G Marg, Lucknow 226 001, India
Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 231:10-6. 2008Prenatal exposure to low doses of lindane has been shown to affect the ontogeny of xenobiotic metabolizing cytochrome P450s (CYPs), involved in the metabolism and neurobehavioral toxicity of lindane...
- Protective effect of gallic acid against lindane induced toxicity in experimental ratsV Vijaya Padma
Department of Biotechnology, School of Biotechnology and Genetic Engineering, Bharathiar University, Coimbatore 641046, Tamil Nadu, India
Food Chem Toxicol 49:991-8. 2011b>Lindane is an organochlorine pesticide that persists in the environment, bioaccumulate through food chain and has a risk of causing adverse effects to human health and the environment...
- Complete nucleotide sequence of an exogenously isolated plasmid, pLB1, involved in gamma-hexachlorocyclohexane degradationRyo Miyazaki
Department of Environmental Life Sciences, Graduate School of Life Sciences, Tohoku University, 2 1 1 Katahira, Sendai 980 8577, Japan
Appl Environ Microbiol 72:6923-33. 2006..To the best of our knowledge, this is the first detailed report of a plasmid involved in gamma-HCH degradation...
- Synergistic microglial reactive oxygen species generation induced by pesticides lindane and dieldrinHaoyu Mao
Department of Pharmacodynamics, College of Pharmacy, University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida, USA
Neuroreport 19:1317-20. 2008..We report here that lindane and dieldrin, two widely present OCPs that are found enriched in the nigra of postmortem Parkinson's disease ..
- Enantioselective transformation of alpha-hexachlorocyclohexane by the dehydrochlorinases LinA1 and LinA2 from the soil bacterium Sphingomonas paucimobilis B90AMrutyunjay Suar
Department of Zoology, Swiss Federal Institute of Aquatic Science and Technology EAWAG, Ueberlandstrasse 133, P O Box 611, CH 8600 Dubendorf, Switzerland
Appl Environ Microbiol 71:8514-8. 2005..Enantioselective degradation may be one of the key processes determining enantiomer composition, especially when strains that contain only one of the linA genes, such as S. paucimobilis UT26, prevail...
- Long-lasting effects of lindane on mouse spermatogenesis induced by in utero exposureMaria Elsa Traina
Laboratory of Environmental Hygiene, Istituto Superiore di Sanita, Viale Regina Elena 299, 00161 Rome, Italy
Reprod Toxicol 17:25-35. 2003Long-lasting effects on mouse spermatogenesis induced by prenatal exposure to the insecticide lindane have been investigated by conventional reproductive endpoints complemented by the flow cytometric (FCM) DNA content analysis of testis ..
- Diversity, distribution and divergence of lin genes in hexachlorocyclohexane-degrading sphingomonadsRup Lal
Department of Zoology, University of Delhi, Delhi 110 007, India
Trends Biotechnol 24:121-30. 2006Two forms of hexachlorocyclohexane (HCH), gamma-HCH (lindane) and technical HCH (incorporating alpha-, beta-, gamma- and delta- isomers), have been used against agricultural pests and in health programs since the 1940s...
- Protective effects of dietary ginger (Zingiber officinales Rosc.) on lindane-induced oxidative stress in ratsRafat S Ahmed
Environmental Biochemistry Laboratory, Department of Biochemistry, University College of Medical Sciences and G T B Hospital, University of Delhi, Dilshad Garden, Delhi 110095, India
Phytother Res 22:902-6. 2008The protective effect of dietary feeding of Zingiber officinales Rosc. (ginger) against lindane-induced oxidative stress was investigated in male albino rats...
- Effects of the pesticides carbofuran, chlorpyrifos, dimethoate, lindane, triallate, trifluralin, 2,4-D, and pentachlorophenol on the metabolic endocrine and reproductive endocrine system in ewesN C Rawlings
Department of Veterinary Physiological Sciences, Western College of Veterinary Medicine, University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon, Canada
J Toxicol Environ Health A 54:21-36. 1998..5 mg/kg), trifluralin (17.5 mg/kg), lindane (2.5 mg/kg), or pentachlorophenol (2 mg/kg) 2 times per week for 43 d. Dimethoate (0.2 mg/kg), carbofuran (0...
- Lindane removal induction by Streptomyces sp. M7C S Benimeli
PROIMI CONICET, Av Belgrano y Caseros, 4000 Tucuman, Argentina
J Basic Microbiol 46:348-57. 2006Gamma-hexachlorocyclohexane (gamma-HCH or lindane), one of the most commonly used pesticides, has been mainly used in agriculture; this pesticide is known to be highly toxic and persistent, causing serious water and soil contamination...
- Overexpression of cerebral and hepatic cytochrome P450s alters behavioral activity of rat offspring following prenatal exposure to lindaneAshu Johri
Developmental Toxicology Division, Industrial Toxicology Research Centre, M G Marg, Lucknow 226 001, UP, India
Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 225:278-92. 2007..0625, 0.125 or 0.25 mg/kg corresponding to 1/1400th, 1/700th or 1/350th of LD(50)) of lindane to the pregnant Wistar rats from gestation days 5 to 21 were found to produce a dose-dependent increase in the ..
- Effects of chlordane and lindane on testosterone and vitellogenin levels in green neon shrimp (Neocaridina denticulata)Da Ji Huang
Institute of Zoology, National Taiwan University, No 1 Sec 4 Roosevelt Road, Taipei 106, Taiwan, Republic of China
Int J Toxicol 23:91-5. 2004The purpose of this study was to investigate the acute toxicity of chlordane and lindane as well as their endocrine disruption effect on green neon shrimp (Neocaridina denticulata), a common habitant in freshwater system of eastern Asia ..
- Divergent roles for glutathione in lindane-induced acute and delayed-onset inhibition of rat myometrial gap junctionsRita Loch-Caruso
Toxicology Program, Department of Environmental Health, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 2029, USA
Toxicol Sci 85:694-702. 2005Previous studies have shown that the insecticide lindane (gamma-hexachlorocyclohexane) induces a biphasic inhibition of gap junction intercellular communication that is accompanied by oxidative stress...
- Stereospecificity in the cytotoxic action of hexachlorocyclohexane isomersAnup Srivastava
Department of Pathology, Center for Free Radical Biology, 901, 19th St S, Rm 347, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, AL 35294, USA
Chem Biol Interact 183:34-9. 2010..Further, this study demonstrates for the first time a clear link between Na(+),K(+)-ATPase, i[Ca(2+)] level, and oxidative stress in HCH-induced cytotoxicity...
- Early childhood determinants of organochlorine concentrations in school-aged childrenW Karmaus
Department of Epidemiology, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI 48823, USA
Pediatr Res 50:331-6. 2001..14 microg/L versus 0.25 microg/L; sum of polychlorinated biphenyls, 0.25 microg/L versus 0.55 microg/L). These findings indicate that breast-feeding can lead to an extended duration of increased OC exposure in childhood...
- Sustained inhibition of rat myometrial gap junctions and contractions by lindaneRita K Loch-Caruso
Toxicology Program, Department of Environmental Health Sciences, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Reprod Biol Endocrinol 1:62. 2003..b>Lindane, a pesticide used in the human and veterinary treatment of scabies and lice as well as in agricultural ..
- Comparative in vitro pediculicidal efficacy of treatments in a resistant head lice population in the United StatesTerri L Meinking
Department of Dermatology and Cutaneous Surgery, University of Miami School of Medicine, PO Box 016960, R 117, Miami, FL 33101, USA
Arch Dermatol 138:220-4. 2002..To compare the pediculicidal activity of 5 head lice products available in the United States on head lice from south Florida...
- Low dose induction of micronuclei by lindaneOlga I Kalantzi
Department of Environmental Science, Lancaster University, Lancaster LA1 4YQ, UK
Carcinogenesis 25:613-22. 2004..gamma-Hexachlorocyclohexane (gamma-HCH, lindane) was tested in the 10(-12)-10(-4) M range...
- Reproduction obstacles for the female green neon shrimp (Neocaridina denticulata) after exposure to chlordane and lindaneDa Ji Huang
Department of Environmental Resources Management, Chia Nan University of Pharmacy and Science, Tainan 71710, Taiwan, ROC
Chemosphere 64:11-6. 2006The purpose of this study was to investigate the effects of chlordane and lindane on reproduction obstacles and endocrine disruption in female green neon shrimp (Neocaridina denticulata). Individuals of N...
- Low level lindane exposure alters extinction of conditioned fear in ratsSylvie Cloutier
Program in Neuroscience, Department of Veterinary and Comparative Anatomy, Pharmacology and Physiology, Washington State University, Pullman, Washington 99164 6520, USA
Toxicology 217:147-54. 2006Gamma-hexachlorocyclohexane (lindane) is a pesticide with the potential to produce long-term effects on fear or anxiety due to its targeting of the GABA(A) receptor in the brain...
- Asia-Pacific mussel watch: monitoring contamination of persistent organochlorine compounds in coastal waters of Asian countriesIn Monirith
Center for Marine Environmental Studies, Ehime University, Tarumi 3 5 7, Matsuyama 790 8556, Japan
Mar Pollut Bull 46:281-300. 2003..To our knowledge, this is a first comprehensive report on monitoring OCs pollution in the Asia-Pacific region...
- Organization of lin genes and IS6100 among different strains of hexachlorocyclohexane-degrading Sphingomonas paucimobilis: evidence for horizontal gene transferCharu Dogra
Department of Zoology, University of Delhi, Delhi 110007, India
J Bacteriol 186:2225-35. 2004..The association of IS6100 with the rest of the lin genes further suggests that IS6100 played a role in shaping the current lin gene organization...
- Adsorption and desorption characteristics of lindane, carbofuran and methyl parathion on various Indian soilsK Rama Krishna
Department of Civil Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology Madras, Chennai 600036, India
J Hazard Mater 160:559-67. 2008..The order of adsorption of pesticides on soils was: lindane>methyl parathion>carbofuran. Compost soil had shown the maximum adsorption capacity...
- Surveying biotransformations with à la carte genetic traps: translating dehydrochlorination of lindane (gamma-hexachlorocyclohexane) into lacZ-based phenotypesWilliam W Mohn
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, University of British Columbia, 300 6174 University Blvd, Vancouver, BC V6T 1Z3, Canada
Environ Microbiol 8:546-55. 2006..with a system to expose the activity of dehydrochlorinases acting upon gamma-hexachlorocyclohexane (gamma-HCH or lindane)...
- Distribution of organo-chlorine pesticides (DDT and HCH) between plant and soil systemK Feng
Agricultural College of Yangzhou University, Yangzhou 225009, PR China
Environ Geochem Health 26:253-8. 2004..HCH residues in rice seeds of the double and four times dosage treatments, and DDT residues in all treatments, exceeded the Chinese National Food Standard (HCH < 0.10 mg kg(-1), DDT < 0.20 mg kg(-1))...
- Hexachlorocyclohexane-degrading bacterial strains Sphingomonas paucimobilis B90A, UT26 and Sp+, having similar lin genes, represent three distinct species, Sphingobium indicum sp. nov., Sphingobium japonicum sp. nov. and Sphingobium francense sp. nov., anRinku Pal
Molecular Biology Laboratory, Department of Zoology, University of Delhi, Delhi 110007, India
Int J Syst Evol Microbiol 55:1965-72. 2005..nov. (=MTCC 6362(T)=CCM 7287(T)) and Sphingobium francense sp. nov. (=MTCC 6363(T)=CCM 7288(T)), respectively. It is also proposed that [Sphingomonas] chungbukensis be transferred to Sphingobium chungbukense comb. nov...
- Lindane-induced generation of reactive oxygen species and depletion of glutathione do not result in necrosis in renal distal tubule cellsAmanda L Piskac-Collier
Department of Epidemiology, University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas, USA
J Toxicol Environ Health A 72:1160-7. 2009b>Lindane is a chlorinated hydrocarbon pesticide, currently used in prescription shampoos and lotions to treat scabies and lice infestations. Lindane is known to be nephrotoxic; however, the mechanism of action is not well understood...
- β-Hexachlorocyclohexane levels in serum and risk of Parkinson's diseaseJason R Richardson
Department of Environmental and Occupational Medicine, UMDNJ Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, Piscataway, NJ 08854, United States
Neurotoxicology 32:640-5. 2011..8, 4.48; p value<0.001). These data are consistent with environmental decreases in β-HCH levels between 2001 and 2008, but they indicate that elevated levels of serum β-HCH are still associated with heightened risk for PD...
- Effects of gamma-HCH and delta-HCH on human recombinant GABA(A) receptors: dependence on GABA(A) receptor subunit combinationP D Maskell
School of Biological and Molecular Sciences, Oxford Brookes University, Gipsy Lane, Oxford, OX3 0BP
Br J Pharmacol 132:205-12. 2001..By contrast, sensitivity to the direct actions of delta-HCH are abolished in receptors containing alpha 4, beta 1 or gamma 2L subunits...
- Persistent organic pollutants in Mediterranean seawater and processes affecting their accumulation in planktonNaiara Berrojalbiz
Department of Environmental Chemistry, Institute of Environmental Assessment and Water Research IDAEA CSIC, Barcelona, Catalunya, Spain
Environ Sci Technol 45:4315-22. 2011..The results presented here provide clear evidence of the important physical and biogeochemical controls on POP occurrence in the marine environment...
- Lindane-induced biochemical perturbations in rat serum and attenuation by omega-3 and Nigella sativa seed oilAhmed M Attia
Department of Environmental Studies, Institute of Graduate Studies and Research, Alexandria University, 163 Horriya Avenue, Chatby, Alexandria, 21526, P O Box 832, Egypt
Indian J Biochem Biophys 48:184-90. 2011b>Lindane (gamma-hexachlorocyclohexane, gamma-HCH), a highly persistent organochlorine insecticide is neurotoxic at acute doses and has been reported to induce oxidative stress in cells and tissues...
- Lindane toxicity: a comprehensive review of the medical literatureKatherine Nolan
Department of Dermatology, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY 10029, USA
Pediatr Dermatol 29:141-6. 2012b>Lindane is an organochloride pesticide, first introduced as a scabicide for human use in the 1950s...
- Molecular investigation of the effects of lindane in rat hepatocytes: microarray and mechanistic studiesNathalie Zucchini-Pascal
Laboratoire de Toxicologie Cellulaire, Moléculaire et Génomique, INRA, UMR 1331 TOXALIM Research Centre in Food Toxicology, 06903 Sophia Antipolis, France
Food Chem Toxicol 49:3128-35. 2011Although many studies of lindane toxicity have been carried out, we still know little about the underlying molecular mechanisms...
- Mechanism of action of the insecticides, lindane and fipronil, on glycine receptor chloride channelsRobiul Islam
Queensland Brain Institute, The University of Queensland, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Br J Pharmacol 165:2707-20. 2012Docking studies predict that the insecticides, lindane and fipronil, block GABA(A) receptors by binding to 6' pore-lining residues. However, this has never been tested at any Cys-loop receptor...
- Organochlorine insecticides lindane and dieldrin and their binary mixture disturb calcium homeostasis in dopaminergic PC12 cellsHarm J Heusinkveld
Neurotoxicology Research Group, Institute for Risk Assessment Sciences, Utrecht University, P O Box 80 177, NL 3508 TD Utrecht, The Netherlands
Environ Sci Technol 46:1842-8. 2012Current hypotheses link long-term environmental exposure of humans to persistent organochlorine (OC) insecticides lindane (HCH) and dieldrin (HEOD) to the development of neurodegenerative disorders, such as Parkinson's disease...
- Iron-induced changes in nitric oxide and superoxide radical generation in rat liver after lindane or thyroid hormone treatmentP Cornejo
, , Facultad de Medicina, Universidad de Chile, Casilla 70086, Santiago, Chile
Toxicol Lett 119:87-93. 2001..production was evaluated as a mechanism triggering liver oxidative stress in lindane (40 mg/kg) or L-3,3',5-triiodothyronine (T3, 0...
- Comparative metagenomic analysis of soil microbial communities across three hexachlorocyclohexane contamination levelsNaseer Sangwan
Department of Zoology, University of Delhi, Delhi, India
PLoS ONE 7:e46219. 2012..8X coverage) and 3 plasmids (pISP3, pISP4 and pLB1; 13X coverage) containing lin genes/clusters also provides an evidence for the horizontal transfer of HCH catabolism genes...
- Genome sequence of Sphingobium indicum B90A, a hexachlorocyclohexane-degrading bacteriumShailly Anand
Department of Zoology, University of Delhi, Delhi, India
J Bacteriol 194:4471-2. 2012..Here we report the draft genome sequence of this bacterium, which has now become a model system for understanding the genetics, biochemistry, and physiology of HCH degradation...
- Lindane removal by pure and mixed cultures of immobilized actinobacteriaJuliana M Saez
Planta Piloto de Procesos Industriales Microbiologicos, Avenida Belgrano y Pasaje Caseros, 4000 Tucuman, Argentina
Chemosphere 89:982-7. 2012b>Lindane (γ-HCH) is an organochlorine insecticide that has been widely used in developing countries. It is known to persist in the environment and can cause serious health problems...
- Organochlorine pesticides in the surface water and sediments from the Peacock River Drainage Basin in Xinjiang, China: a study of an arid zone in Central AsiaWei Chen
Key Laboratory of Biogeology and Environmental Geology of the Ministry of Education, Wuhan 430074, People s Republic of China
Environ Monit Assess 177:1-21. 2011..However, there was new input of γ-HCH (lindane) into the Peacock River...
- A combination of ascorbic acid and α-tocopherol or a combination of Mg and Zn are both able to reduce the adverse effects of lindane-poisoning on rat brain and liverNajla Hfaiedh
Laboratoire d Ecophysiologie Animale, Sfax, Tunisia
J Trace Elem Med Biol 26:273-8. 2012..beneficial effects of supplementation with ascorbic acid (Vit C) and α-tocopherol (Vit E) or with Mg and Zn upon lindane-induced damages in liver and brain...
- Persistent lipophilic environmental chemicals and endometriosis: the ENDO StudyGermaine M Buck Louis
Division of Epidemiology, Statistics and Prevention Research, Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Health, National Institutes of Health, Department of Health and Human Services, Rockville, Maryland 20852, USA
Environ Health Perspect 120:811-6. 2012..An equivocal literature exists regarding the relation between persistent organochlorine pollutants (POPs) and endometriosis in women, with differences attributed to methodologies...
- Polyaniline-based highly sensitive microbial biosensor for selective detection of lindaneM U Anu Prathap
Chemistry Division, Bhabha Atomic Research Centre, Mumbai 400085, India
Anal Chem 84:6672-8. 2012..for detection of the persistent organochlorine pesticide γ-hexachlorocyclohexane (γ-HCH), commonly known as lindane. The gene linA2 encoding the enzyme γ-hexachlorocyclohexane (HCH) dehydrochlorinase (LinA2), involved in the ..
- Y Chromosome microdeletion and altered sperm quality in human males with high concentration of seminal hexachlorocyclohexane (HCH)Faizan Haider Khan
Molecular Human Genetics Laboratory, Department of Zoology, University of Lucknow, Lucknow 226 007, India
Chemosphere 80:972-7. 2010..The results of this study indicated the susceptibility of male germ line to mutagenic potential of HCH which is an acknowledged risk factor leading to spermatogenic failure...
- TCDD, endrin and lindane induced oxidative stress in fetal and placental tissues of C57BL/6J and DBA/2J miceE A Hassoun
College of Pharmacy, University of Toledo, OH 43606, USA
Comp Biochem Physiol C Pharmacol Toxicol Endocrinol 115:11-8. 1996The abilities of TCDD, endrin and lindane to induce oxidative stress in fetal and placental tissues have been studied after the oral administration of these xenobiotics to pregnant C57BL/6J and DBA/2J mice...
- Distribution of hexachlorocyclohexane isomers in soil samples from a small scale industrial area of Lucknow, North India, associated with lindane productionP C Abhilash
Eco Auditing Group, National Botanical Research Institute, Rana Pratap Marg, Lucknow 226 001, Uttar Pradesh, India
Chemosphere 73:1011-5. 2008..delta-HCH) were studied in soils samples collected from a small scale industrial unit of Lucknow associated with lindane production...
- Stability of bacterial populations in tropical soil upon exposure to LindaneRoberto A Rodriguez
Laboratory of Environmental Microbiology, Department of Biology, University of Puerto Rico, P O Box 23360, San Juan, Puerto Rico 00931 3360
Int Microbiol 6:253-8. 2003The effect of the pesticide Lindane on microbial populations was analyzed in soil with a history of contamination with various chemicals, including this pesticide...
- [Epidemiologic studies on the health status of the population living in the Sacco River Valley]Fiorella Fantini
StrutturaOperativa complessa, Servizio di Igiene degli Alimenti e della Nutrizione, Dipartimento di Prevenzione, ASL RMG
Epidemiol Prev 36:44-52. 2012..OBIETTIVO: to analyze the health status of the population living in an area close to the Colleferro industrial plant...
- Using Representational Difference Analysis to detect changes in transcript expression of Aiptasia genes after laboratory exposure to lindaneMichael B Morgan
Department of Biology, Berry College, Mount Berry, GA 30149, USA
Aquat Toxicol 110:66-73. 2012..The organochlorine pesticide lindane is known to disrupt normal neuron function...
- Distribution of organochlorine pesticides in soils from South KoreaJ H Kim
Department of Chemistry and New Materials, Jeonju University, Chonju, Chunbuk, South Korea
Chemosphere 43:137-40. 2001....
- Organochlorine pesticides in soils around watersheds of Beijing reservoirs: a case study in Guanting and Miyun ReservoirsWenyou Hu
State Key Laboratory of Urban and Regional Ecology, Research Center for Eco Environmental Sciences, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing, 100085, China
Bull Environ Contam Toxicol 82:694-700. 2009..The results indicated that past agricultural application of OCPs was the major source of OCP residues in the watershed...
- Organochlorine pesticides and metabolites in young leaves of Mangifera indica from sites near a point source in Coast region, TanzaniaJohn A Mahugija Marco
Department of Chemistry, University of Dar es Salaam, P O Box 35061, Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
Chemosphere 68:832-7. 2007..The low alpha-/gamma-HCH ratios (<0.3-0.7) in most samples indicate recent input of lindane (99% gamma-HCH)...
- Disruption of autophagy at the maturation step by the carcinogen lindane is associated with the sustained mitogen-activated protein kinase/extracellular signal-regulated kinase activityElisabeth Corcelle
Institut National de la Santé et de la Recherche Médicale U670, IFR 50, Faculte de Medecine, Avenue de Valombrose, 06107 Nice Cedex 02, France
Cancer Res 66:6861-70. 2006..Here, we show that widely used carcinogen Lindane promotes vacuolation of Sertoli cells...
- Identification and characterization of genes encoding a putative ABC-type transporter essential for utilization of gamma-hexachlorocyclohexane in Sphingobium japonicum UT26Ryo Endo
Department of Environmental Life Sciences, Graduate School of Life Sciences, Tohoku University, 2 1 1 Katahira, Sendai 980 8577, Japan
J Bacteriol 189:3712-20. 2007..This study clearly demonstrated that a cellular factor besides catabolic enzymes and transcriptional regulators is essential for utilization of xenobiotic compounds in bacterial cells...
- The organochlorine pesticides gamma-hexachlorocyclohexane (lindane), alpha-endosulfan and dieldrin differentially interact with GABA(A) and glycine-gated chloride channels in primary cultures of cerebellar granule cellsC Vale
Department of Neurochemistry, Institut d Investigacions Biomediques de Barcelona, Consejo Superior de Investigaciones Cientificas, CSIC, IDIBAPS, Rossello 161, 08036 Barcelona, Spain
Neuroscience 117:397-403. 2003..This increase was antagonized by bicuculline and strychnine, respectively. Lindane inhibited with similar potency both GABA(A) (IC(50): 6.1 microM) and glycine (5.0 microM) receptors...
- Phytotoxicity of hexachlorocyclohexane: Effect on germination and early growth of different plant speciesR Calvelo Pereira
Departamento de Edafoloxia e Quimica Agricola, Universidade de Santiago de Compostela, Spain
Chemosphere 79:326-33. 2010..These (tolerant) plants therefore appear to be ideal for phytoremediation purposes...
- Bioremediation of HCH-contaminated soil: elimination of inhibitory effects of the insecticide on radish and green gram seed germinationRajkumar Bidlan
Department of Food Microbiology, Central Food Technological Research Institute, Mysore 570013, Karnataka, India
Chemosphere 56:803-11. 2004..The degradation of 25 microg tech-HCH g(-1) soil was complete by 120 h. The seed germination and the activities of the assayed enzymes, amylase and protease, were same as before or better in bioremediated soils...
- Analysis of the role of LinA and LinB in biodegradation of delta-hexachlorocyclohexaneJun Wu
Key Laboratory of Microbiological Engineering Agricultural Environment, Ministry of Agriculture, Department of Microbiology, College of Life Science, Nanjing Agricultural University, 6 Tongwei Road, Nanjing, Jiangsu Province 210095, China
Environ Microbiol 9:2331-40. 2007..LinB could also catalyse the hydrolytic dechlorination of delta-HCH to 2,3,5,6-tetrachloro-1,4-cyclohexanediol (TDOL) via 2,3,4,5,6-pentachlorocyclohexanol (PCHL)...
- A novel aspect of lindane testicular toxicity: in vitro effects on peritubular myoid cellsL Silvestroni
Department of Medical Physiopathology, University of Rome La Sapienza, Italy
Reprod Toxicol 13:431-41. 1999The in vitro effects of the insecticide lindane have been investigated in rat testis peritubular myoid cells (PMCs)...
- Equivalent therapeutic efficacy and safety of ivermectin and lindane in the treatment of human scabiesE N Chouela
Department of Dermatology, the Hospital General de Agudos Dr Cosme Argerich, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Arch Dermatol 135:651-5. 1999To compare the therapeutic efficacy and safety of ivermectin and lindane for the treatment of human scabies.
- Reductive dechlorination of hexachlorocyclohexane (HCH) isomers in soil under anaerobic conditionsPeter J M Middeldorp
TNO Environment, Energy and Process Innovation, PO Box 342, 7300 AH Apeldoorn, The Netherlands
Biodegradation 16:283-90. 2005..Also in a separate column, the addition of nitrate from the start of the experiment did not result in dechlorination of beta-HCH. The significance of these experiments for in situ bioremediation of polluted soils is discussed...
- Rhodanobacter lindaniclasticus gen. nov., sp. nov., a lindane-degrading bacteriumR Nalin
Laboratoire d Ecologie Microbienne du Sol, UMR5557 CNRS Université Lyon 1, Villeurbanne, France
Int J Syst Bacteriol 49:19-23. 1999b>Lindane-degrading activity under aerobic conditions has been observed in two bacterial strains: UT26, phenotypically identified as Sphingomonas paucimobilis, and a new single unidentified isolate named RP5557T...
- Organochlorine pesticides in the ambient air of Chiapas, MexicoHenry Alegria
Chemistry Department, California Lutheran University, 60 West Olsen Road, Thousand Oaks, CA 91360, USA
Environ Pollut 140:483-91. 2006....
- Uptake of trifluralin and lindane from water by ryegrassHui Li
Chemosphere 48:335-41. 2002..In this study, we measured the uptake of trifluralin and lindane from water by ryegrass as a function of uptake time for periods of 96 and 120 h, respectively...
- Organochlorine pesticides in soils around Guanting Reservoir, ChinaTieyu Wang
State Key Laboratory of Urban and Regional Ecology, Research Center for Eco Environmental Sciences, Chinese Academy of Sciences, P O Box 2871, Beijing, 100085, China
Environ Geochem Health 29:491-501. 2007..The areas of greatest contamination were primarily in the central part of the study area and were correlated with greater population density, heavier traffic, and more industrial activity...
- Classification and ordination of DDT and HCH in soil samples from the Guanting Reservoir, ChinaHong Zhang
Research Center for Eco Environmental Sciences, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing 100085, China
Chemosphere 60:762-9. 2005..Ordination plots of the first two axes from PCA (cumulative percentage 80.91%) were constructed to explore the HCH and DDT-distribution patterns as well as the degradation ratios between the parent substances and their isomers...
- Spatial and seasonal variations of organochlorine compounds in air on an urban-rural transect across Tianjin, ChinaXiaoyan Zheng
State Key Laboratory of Environmental Chemistry and Ecotoxicology, Research Center for Eco Environmental Sciences, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing 100085, China
Chemosphere 78:92-8. 2010..The alpha/gamma-HCH ratio was between 1.26 and 5.79 which signified the combined influence of technical HCHs and lindane. Dichlorodiphenyltrichloroethane related compounds (DDTs) were higher at Hangu compared with other sites which ..
- DDT and HCH isomer levels in soils, carrot root and carrot leaf samplesS M Waliszewski
Institute of Forensic Medicine, University of Veracruz, SS Juan Pablo II s n, 94290 Boca del Rio, Veracruz, Mexico
Bull Environ Contam Toxicol 81:343-7. 2008..Within the carrot plant, organochlorine pesticides accumulate especially in carrot root peel, 3-7 times more than in root flesh...
- Effect of food level on the acute and chronic responses of daphnids to lindaneSara C Antunes
Departamento de Biologia da Universidade de Aveiro, Campus Universitario de Santiago, 3810 193 Aveiro, Portugal
Environ Pollut 127:367-75. 2004The toxic effects of lindane on the zooplankton communities may be strongly related to the population fitness, which is highly dependent on food availability...
- Attenuation of the effect of lindane on immune responses and oxidative stress by Ocimum sanctum seed oil (OSSO) in ratsPramod K Mediratta
Department of Pharmacology, University College of Medical Sciences, University of Delhi, Shahadara, Delhi 110 095
Indian J Physiol Pharmacol 52:171-7. 2008..was done to evaluate the effect of Ocimum sanctum seed oil (OSSO) on the immunotoxicity and oxidative activity of lindane in rats...
- Crystal structure of γ-hexachlorocyclohexane Dehydrochlorinase LinA from Sphingobium japonicum UT26Masahiko Okai
Department of Applied Biological Chemistry, Graduate School of Agricultural and Life Sciences, University of Tokyo, 1 1 1 Yayoi, Bunkyo ku, Tokyo 113 8657, Japan
J Mol Biol 403:260-9. 2010....
- Reaction mechanism and stereochemistry of gamma-hexachlorocyclohexane dehydrochlorinase LinAL Trantirek
Laboratory of Biomolecular Structure and Dynamics, Masaryk University, Kotlarska 2, 611 37 Brno, Czech Republic
J Biol Chem 276:7734-40. 2001..The proposed mechanism of enzymatic biotransformation of gamma-HCH to 1,2,4-TCB by LinA consists of two 1,2-anti conformationally dependent dehydrochlorinations followed by 1,4-anti dehydrochlorination...
- Evaluation of a two-generation reproduction toxicity study adding endpoints to detect endocrine disrupting activity using lindaneIkuo Matsuura
Kashima Laboratory, Mitsubishi Chemical Safety Institute Ltd, 14 Sunayama, Kamisu shi, Ibaraki 314 0255, Japan
J Toxicol Sci 30:135-161. 2005..toxicity study in rats adding extra endpoints to detect endocrine disrupting activity was conducted using lindane by dietary administration at 0, 10, 60, and 300 ppm, for investigation of its utility...
- Oxidative stress in liver and red blood cells in acute lindane toxicity in ratsT Radosavljevic
Department of Pathophysiology, School of Medicine, University of Belgrade, Dr Subotica 9, 11000 Belgrade, Serbia
Hum Exp Toxicol 28:747-57. 2009..as superoxide dismutase (SOD) and catalase activity in the hepatocytes and erythrocytes in early phase of acute lindane intoxication...
- Lindane, a gap junction blocker, suppresses FSH and transforming growth factor beta1-induced connexin43 gap junction formation and steroidogenesis in rat granulosa cellsFerng Chun Ke
Institute of Molecular and Cellular Biology, School of Life Sciences, National Taiwan University, Taipei 106, Taiwan
J Endocrinol 184:555-66. 2005..There were three specific aims. First, we investigated the effect of FSH and TGF beta1 as well as lindane (a general gap junction blocker) on the level of connexin43 (Cx43), the major gap junction constituent in ..
- Ameliorative effect of a combination of vitamin E, vitamin C, alpha-lipoic acid and stilbene resveratrol on lindane induced toxicity in mice olfactory lobe and cerebrumMehajbeen Bano
Indian J Exp Biol 48:150-8. 2010Acute dose of lindane (40 mg/kg body weight, ip) caused significant reduction in butyrylcholinesterase (BChE) activity both in olfactory lobe and cerebrum of mice along with reduction in catalase (CAT), total protein and elevation in ..
- In vitro induction of reactive oxygen species by 2,3,7,8-tetrachlorodibenzo-p-dioxin, endrin, and lindane in rat peritoneal macrophages, and hepatic mitochondria and microsomesM Bagchi
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Creighton University Health Sciences Center, Omaha, NE 68178
Free Radic Biol Med 14:11-8. 1993..alpha,5,6,7,8,8 alpha-octahydroendo, endo-1,4:5,8-dimethanonaphthalene), and lindane (hexachlorocyclohexane)...
- A comparative study of gene expression profiles in rat liver after administration of alpha-hexachlorocyclohexane and lindaneKayo Sumida
Sumitomo Chemical Co Ltd, 3 1 98 Kasugade naka, Konohana ku, Osaka 554 8558, Japan
J Toxicol Sci 32:261-88. 2007Alpha-hexachlorocyclohexane (alpha-HCH) is a stereoisomer of gamma-HCH, the active ingredient of lindane (> 99% gamma-HCH)...
- Biochemistry of microbial degradation of hexachlorocyclohexane and prospects for bioremediationRup Lal
Department of Zoology, University of Delhi, Delhi 110007, India
Microbiol Mol Biol Rev 74:58-80. 2010b>Lindane, the gamma-isomer of hexachlorocyclohexane (HCH), is a potent insecticide...
- Genomic organization and genomic structural rearrangements of Sphingobium japonicum UT26, an archetypal γ-hexachlorocyclohexane-degrading bacteriumYuji Nagata
Graduate School of Life Sciences, Tohoku University, Japan
Enzyme Microb Technol 49:499-508. 2011..These facts strongly suggest that IS6100 plays important roles both in the dissemination of the specific lin genes and in the genome rearrangements...
- THE AGRICULTURAL HEALTH STUDY - FIELD STATIONSCharles Lynch; Fiscal Year: 2010..of data from case-control studies of non-Hodgkin's lymphoma noted an association with agricultural use of lindane, but not with DDT...
- NIEHS SUPPORT OF THE AHS COHORT STUDY AT NCICharles Knott; Fiscal Year: 2010..of data from case-control studies of non-Hodgkin's lymphoma noted an association with agricultural use of lindane, but not with DDT...
- Dietary Methyl Score, Genomic DNA Methylation and Colorectal CancerEunyoung Cho; Fiscal Year: 2012..Dietary methyl score will help produce practical dietary guidelines for cancer prevention. ..
- Sudden Cardiac Death in Heart Failure Trial 10 year Follow-up (SCD-HeFT 10 yr.)Gust H Bardy; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Early life anthropometry, IGF pathway polymorphisms, and colorectal cancer riskEsther Wei; Fiscal Year: 2010..g. childhood, young adulthood), with the ultimate goal of generating measurable improvements on the burden of colorectal cancer and other chronic diseases. ..
- Forsyth Expansion for the Center for Discovery at the Host-Biofilm InterfacePhilip Stashenko; Fiscal Year: 2010..Accordingly, 39-49 new U.S. jobs will be created should this application be funded. ..
- TWIN FAMILY STUDY OF VULNERABILITY TO SUBSTANCE ABUSEWilliam G Iacono; Fiscal Year: 2013..Using twins studied prospectively from age 11 to 29, we will examine how adolescent-onset substance abuse affects the development of mental health in young adulthood. ..
- miRNA Regulation of Aquaporin 1 Modulates Vascular Remodelling during CirrhosisRobert C Huebert; Fiscal Year: 2013..abstract_text> ..
- LIGNIN BIODEGRADATON--LIGNINASE & GLUCOSE OXIDASE GENESCA REDDY; Fiscal Year: 1992..lignin, also play a key role in the detoxification of recalcitrant environmental pollutants such as dioxins, DDT, lindane and benzopyrenes, which constitute a serious public health hazard...
- GABAERGIC INSECTICIDE TOXICOLOGYJOHN CASIDA; Fiscal Year: 2002..The major channel blockers used at present, representing 6% of the insecticide market, are endosulfan and lindane and this market share will increase with expanded use of the newly-commercialized polyhalogenated fipronil...
- FUNCTIONAL ANALYSIS OF NOVEL GABA RECEPTOR IN DROSOPHILARichard ffrench Constant; Fiscal Year: 1999..for genes interacting with Rdl: (A) screens for suppressors or enhancers of the resistance phenotype, (B) screens for a putative lindane receptor mutant; and (C) P-element site directed mutagenesis of known chloride ion channel genes.
- Dietary Cysteine:Conceptal Response to Oxidative StressCraig Harris; Fiscal Year: 2002..Preliminary experiments with chemical embryotoxins, such as the pesticides lindane and aminocarb, show selective decreases in free cysteine concentrations prior to observed depletion of ..
- Characterization of small molecule inhibitors of Arp2/3 complexBYRON ANTHONY HETRICK; Fiscal Year: 2013..In order to properly interpret phenotypes caused by the presence of the inhibitors however, a detailed understanding of their mechanism of inhibition is required. ..
- INCIDENCE OF DIABETES AND CVD IN MEXICAN AMERICANSMichael Stern; Fiscal Year: 2002..The investigators note that this will aid in the interpretation of data relating to possible ethnic differences in cause-specific mortality based on death certificate coding. ..
- PROSPECTIVE STUDY OF ANKLE INJURY RISK FACTORSBruce Beynnon; Fiscal Year: 2002..abstract_text> ..
- REGULATION OF GLUT1 GENE EXPRESSION BY HYPOXIAFaramarz Ismail Beigi; Fiscal Year: 2001....
- Impact of Pesticide Exposure on Cognition in ChildrenTHOMAS PETROS; Fiscal Year: 2004..The proposed research will also measure concentrations of the pesticides (2, 4- dichlorophenoxyacetic acid) lindane and chloropyifos in the blood and urine in a sample of children between 7 and 12 years of age...
- GENETIC EPIDEMIOLOGY OF ESSENTIAL TREMORElan Louis; Fiscal Year: 1999..Drs. W. Allen Hauser, Ruth Ottman, Richard Mayeux and Stanley Fahn, all internationally recognized either within the areas of Neuroepidemiology or Movement Disorders, will provide invaluable guidance in these studies. ..
- IMPROVED VERSUS DETERIORATED PHYSICAL FUNCTIONINGRACHEL BOAZ; Fiscal Year: 1991..The magnitudes of the effects of the specified variables can provide an order of priority for targeting the policy-amenable factors to enhance the likelihood of improvement and diminish the possibility of deterioration...
- TWIN FAMILY STUDY OF VULNERABILITY TO SUBSTANCE ABUSEWilliam Iacono; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Regulation of IRS-1 Serine Phosphorylation in AdipocytesCHRISTOPHER LUNA; Fiscal Year: 2003..To accomplish these aims, primary cultures of rat adipocytes will be used together with adenovirally expressed IRS-1 proteins to determine the regulation of phosphorylation of serine residues 616,636, and 666 in situ. ..
- HYPERGENGerardo Heiss; Fiscal Year: 1999....
- NOVEL CYSTEINES OF P22 TAILSPIKE PROTEINAnne Robinson; Fiscal Year: 2002..Dr. Robinson will also develop a novel method which combines cyanylation, proteolytic cleavage, and MALDI mass spectroscopy to map disulfide bond connectivity in tailspike assembly intermediates. ..
- ALZHEIMER'S DISEASE AND DEMENTIA IN CHINAELENA YU; Fiscal Year: 1992..The first 12-month budget requested is 258,666. The total budget requested over three years is $818,349...
- Developmental Pyrethroid Exposure and ADHDJason Richardson; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Developmental Pyrethroid Exposure and Parkinsons DiseaseJason Richardson; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- "Ligand Independent" endocrine disruption by pesticidesPatrick Wong; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- Unraveling Musculoskeletal Pleiotropy Using Genome-Wide AssociationDavid Karasik; Fiscal Year: 2010..The above will improve substantially quality of life and decrease health care costs for millions of middle-aged and elderly Americans. ..
- Structure-Based Design of Bacterial GTPase InhibitorsMark Shenderovich; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- Heart failure, chronic kidney disease, and renin-angiotensin system inhibitionAli Ahmed; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- Reduction in CVD risk in children by physical activityRobert C Hickner; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- PanAmerican Society for Pigment Cell Research (PASPCR)Frank Meyskens; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- Health Behavior Trajectories Following Chronic Illness in Mid to Late LifeJason T Newsom; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Neurohormonal Blockade and Outcomes in Diastolic Heart FailureAli Ahmed; Fiscal Year: 2010..The proposed study will examine the effect of neurohormonal blockade in propensity matched OPTIMIZE-HF participants with diastolic heart failure. ..
- Heart Failure and Beta-Blocker Use in Older AdultsAli Ahmed; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- INTERMODAL TEMPORAL INFORMATION PROCESSING IN INFANTSDAVID LEWKOWICZ; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- Exercise, muscle nutritive blood flow and eNOS in agingRobert Hickner; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- ADOLESCENT ALCOHOL USE AND HIGH RISK BEHAVIORM Cooper; Fiscal Year: 2003..The proposed study promises to yield results of substantial scientific, theoretical, and pragmatic import. ..
- TREATMENT OF LATE LIFE DEPRESSION COMPLICATED BY ALCOHOLDavid Oslin; Fiscal Year: 2003..Finally, proposed plans for this MCSDA are well coordinated with the research activities of the Section of Geriatric Psychiatry and the Center for Studies on Addiction. ..
- Vein wall remodeling after DVT is matrix metalloproteinase dependentPeter Henke; Fiscal Year: 2009..This proposal will provide important mechanistic insight into the pathophysiology of post-phelbitic syndrome with real potential translation to decreasing the morbidity from this under-acknowledged disease. ..
- NEW WAYS TO FIND HUMAN BMD GENES USING MOUSE QTL MAPPINGDavid Karasik; Fiscal Year: 2008..This integrated bioinformatic approach ultimately can be extended to gene identification for other complex diseases. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- MOLECULAR STRUCTURE AND INTERACTIONS OF VIRUSESGeorge Thomas; Fiscal Year: 2008..The biological significance of the proposed research derives from the critical need for fundamental knowledge about the molecular basis of virus assembly in order to understand and control viral diseases. ..
- Regulation of lipolysis by nitric oxide and adenosineRobert Hickner; Fiscal Year: 2006..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Thrombus resolution is CXC chemokine dependentPeter Henke; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- STRUCTURES, INTERACTIONS AND DYNAMICS OF NUCLEIC ACIDSGeorge Thomas; Fiscal Year: 2006..These studies will build upon the foundation established during prior support periods and are expected to yield new insights into biologically important DNA structural phenomena. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Phase III Colon Cancer Prevention TrialFrank Meyskens; Fiscal Year: 2006..The overall goal of our work is to develop safe combinations of chemoprevention agents that can be used in the practice setting and complement current surveillance efforts. ..
- GENETIC OF BONE STRUCTURAL GEOMETRY: FRAMINGHAM COHORTSDavid Karasik; Fiscal Year: 2006..Linkage analysis will also be combined with family based tests of association with candidate genes that lie under the peak, with additional mapping with single nucleotide polyrnorphisms. ..
- Chemoprevention of Oral Cancer with BBICFrank Meyskens; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Non-response to NTX next steps in managing alcoholismDavid Oslin; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Perfluorooctane sulfonate (PFOS) Affects Immunity through PPAR-alpha.Margie Peden Adams; Fiscal Year: 2007..The unimmunized and immunized experiments will be conducted to control for possible differences in response related to lymphocyte activation from the immunization. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Polymorphisms and Haplotypes in the IGF Pathway and Endometrial Cancer RiskMonica McGrath; Fiscal Year: 2007..We will have > 85% power to detect a relative risk 1.50 or greater for the main effects of most of the genotypes and haplotypes of interest. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Comparative Genomics of GlaucomaROBERT ANHOLT; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- Occupational risk factors for NHL and NHL subtypes: an InterLymph-based analysisANDREA MANNETJE; Fiscal Year: 2008..This large study conducted by an international team of expert collaborators will provide sufficient study power to reach the outlined aims and contribute to the knowledge of the etiology of NHL. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Functional Perspectives on Health and Risk BehaviorsM Cooper; Fiscal Year: 2008..It is my hope and belief that this investment will pay rich dividends in terms of increased theoretical and methodological contributions to the field, including both those of my own and my collaborators. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Adolescent Outpatient & Continuing Care Study (AOCCS)SUSAN GODLEY; Fiscal Year: 2008....
- FUNCTIONAL SIGNIFICANCE OF EARLY IRON DEFICIENCYBetsy Lozoff; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- Social Exchanges and MortalityJason Newsom; Fiscal Year: 2008....