Genomes and Genes
Summary: A solvent for oils, fats, lacquers, varnishes, rubber waxes, and resins, and a starting material in the manufacturing of organic compounds. Poisoning by inhalation, ingestion or skin absorption is possible and may be fatal. (Merck Index, 11th ed)
Publications347 found, 100 shown here
- Modeling liver fibrosis in rodentsChristothea Constandinou
University of Southampton, Southampton General Hospital, Southampton, UK
Methods Mol Med 117:237-50. 2005..Mechanistic studies using gene knockout and transgenic animals can also be established using CCl(4). Together these models have provided unparalleled insights into the mechanisms underlying hepatic fibrosis...
- Selective depletion of macrophages reveals distinct, opposing roles during liver injury and repairJeremy S Duffield
Medical Research Council Centre for Inflammation Research, University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh, United Kingdom
J Clin Invest 115:56-65. 2005..b>Carbon tetrachloride---induced liver fibrosis revealed scar-associated macrophages that persisted throughout recovery...
- Hepatotoxicity and mechanism of action of haloalkanes: carbon tetrachloride as a toxicological modelLutz W D Weber
Institute of Toxicology, GSF National Research Center for Environment and Health, Munich, P O Box 1129, D 85758 Neuherberg FRG
Crit Rev Toxicol 33:105-36. 2003The use of many halogenated alkanes such as carbon tetrachloride (CCl4), chloroform (CHCl3) or iodoform (CHI3), has been banned or severely restricted because of their distinct toxicity...
- Therapeutic effect of transplanting HGF-treated bone marrow mesenchymal cells into CCl4-injured ratsSuguru Oyagi
Graduate School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Osaka University, 1 6 Yamada oka, Suita, Osaka 565 0871 Japan
J Hepatol 44:742-8. 2006..Here, we transplanted bone marrow-derived mesenchymal cells (BMMCs) to test their effect in liver-injured rats...
- Transplantation of bone marrow cells reduces CCl4-induced liver fibrosis in miceIsao Sakaida
Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, School of Medicine, Yamaguchi University, Yamaguchi, Japan
Hepatology 40:1304-11. 2004..BMCs of green fluorescent protein (GFP) mice were transplanted into 4-week carbon tetrachloride (CCl4)-treated C57BL6 mice through the tail vein, and the mice were treated for 4 more weeks with CCl4 (..
- Carbon tetrachloride-induced lipid peroxidation: eicosanoid formation and their regulation by antioxidant nutrientsSamar Basu
Section of Geriatrics and Clinical Nutrition Research, Department of Public Health, Faculty of Medicine, Uppsala University, Box 609, SE 751 25 Uppsala, Sweden
Toxicology 189:113-27. 2003Hepatic injury through carbon tetrachloride (CCl(4)) induced lipid peroxidation is well known and has been extensively used in the experimental models to understand the cellular mechanisms behind oxidative damage and further to evaluate ..
- Lycium barbarum polysaccharides protect mice liver from carbon tetrachloride-induced oxidative stress and necroinflammationJia Xiao
Department of Anatomy, The University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong Special Administrative Region
J Ethnopharmacol 139:462-70. 2012..Lycium barbarum has been used as a traditional Chinese medicine to nourish liver, kidneys and the eyes...
- Increased toxin-induced liver injury and fibrosis in interleukin-6-deficient miceK Kovalovich
Department of Genetics, University of Pennsylvania Medical School, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Hepatology 31:149-59. 2000..Following acute carbon tetrachloride (CCl(4)) treatment, we found that IL-6-/- mice developed increased hepatocellular injury and defective ..
- Diverse roles of invariant natural killer T cells in liver injury and fibrosis induced by carbon tetrachlorideOgyi Park
Section on Liver Biology, Laboratory of Physiologic Studies, National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Hepatology 49:1683-94. 2009..Here we show that iNKT-deficient mice are more susceptible to carbon tetrachloride (CCl(4))-induced acute liver injury and inflammation...
- Antifibrotic effects of Artemisia capillaris and Artemisia iwayomogi in a carbon tetrachloride-induced chronic hepatic fibrosis animal modelJing hua Wang
Liver and Immunology Research Center, Daejeon Oriental Hospital of Daejeon University, 22 5 Daeheung dong, Jung Gu, Daejeon 301 704, Republic of Korea
J Ethnopharmacol 140:179-85. 2012..Artemisia capillaris and Artemisia iwayomogi, both members of the Compositae family, have been indiscriminately used for various liver disorders as traditional hepatotherapeutic medicines in Korea for many years...
- Role of fibroblast growth factor type 1 and 2 in carbon tetrachloride-induced hepatic injury and fibrogenesisChundong Yu
Department of Biochemistry and Biophysics, Texas A and M University, and the Center for Cancer Biology and Nutrition, Institute of Biosciences and Technology, Texas A and M University System Health Science Center, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Am J Pathol 163:1653-62. 2003..a role in response to injury and fibrosis, we examined the impact of both acute and chronic exposure to carbon tetrachloride (CCl(4)) in the livers of FGF1- and FGF2-deficient mice...
- Mouse model of carbon tetrachloride induced liver fibrosis: Histopathological changes and expression of CD133 and epidermal growth factorTsutomu Fujii
Massachusetts General Hospital Cancer Center, Harvard Medical School, Boston, USA
BMC Gastroenterol 10:79. 2010..The carbon tetrachloride (CCl4)-induced mouse model has been historically relied upon to study liver injury and regeneration...
- Ferulic acid protects against carbon tetrachloride-induced liver injury in miceHyo Yeon Kim
School of Pharmacy, Sungkyunkwan University, Suwon 440 746, Republic of Korea
Toxicology 282:104-11. 2011..Here, we have investigated the hepatoprotective effect of FA against carbon tetrachloride (CCl(4))-induced acute liver injury...
- (-)-Epigallocatechin gallate prevents carbon tetrachloride-induced rat hepatic fibrosis by inhibiting the expression of the PDGFRbeta and IGF-1RYoichi Yasuda
Department of Internal Medicine, Gifu University Graduate School of Medicine, Gifu, Japan
Chem Biol Interact 182:159-64. 2009..which inhibits the activation of several types of RTKs, on the development of rat liver fibrosis induced by carbon tetrachloride (CCl4). Drinking water with 0...
- Hepatocyte-specific Smad7 expression attenuates TGF-beta-mediated fibrogenesis and protects against liver damageSteven Dooley
Department of Medicine II, Gastroenterology and Hepatology, University Hospital, Mannheim, Germany
Gastroenterology 135:642-59. 2008..The profibrogenic role of transforming growth factor (TGF)-beta in liver has mostly been attributed to hepatic stellate cell activation and excess matrix synthesis. Hepatocytes are believed to contribute to increased rates of apoptosis...
- Effects of Sho-saiko-to extract and its components, Baicalin, baicalein, glycyrrhizin and glycyrrhetic acid, on pharmacokinetic behavior of salicylamide in carbon tetrachloride intoxicated ratsZenei Taira
Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Tokushima Bunri University, Tokushima 770 8514, Japan
Food Chem Toxicol 42:803-7. 2004..Sho-saiko-to extract and its components were shown to suppress acute hepatic injury induced by CCl4, and to bring about an early recovery in liver function...
- Epigallocatechin-3-gallate (EGCG) reduces liver inflammation, oxidative stress and fibrosis in carbon tetrachloride (CCl4)-induced liver injury in miceGeorge L Tipoe
Department of Anatomy, Li Ka Shing Faculty of Medicine, The University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong, SAR
Toxicology 273:45-52. 2010..The protective effect of EGCG may in part be a consequence of the reduction in oxidative stress and the pro-inflammatory response...
- Antioxidative and hepatoprotective effects of Antrodia camphorata extractGeorge Hsiao
Department of Pharmacology and Graduate Institute of Medical Sciences, Taipei Medical University, 250 Wu Hsing Street, Taipei 110, Taiwan
J Agric Food Chem 51:3302-8. 2003..camphorata extracts to protect against oxidative stress in vitro and against carbon tetrachloride (CCl(4))-induced hepatic injury in vivo. An extract of A...
- Hydrodynamic gene delivery of interleukin-22 protects the mouse liver from concanavalin A-, carbon tetrachloride-, and Fas ligand-induced injury via activation of STAT3Hongna Pan
Section on Liver Biology, Laboratory of Physiologic Studies, National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Cell Mol Immunol 1:43-9. 2004..significantly protects against liver injury, necrosis, and apoptosis induced by administration of Con A, carbon tetrachloride (CCl4), or the Fas agonist Jo-2 mAb...
- The role of Smad3 in mediating mouse hepatic stellate cell activationB Schnabl
Department of Medicine, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, NC, USA
Hepatology 34:89-100. 2001....
- Protein isolate from the herb, Phyllanthus niruri L. (Euphorbiaceae), plays hepatoprotective role against carbon tetrachloride induced liver damage via its antioxidant propertiesRajesh Bhattacharjee
Department of Chemistry, Bose Institute, 93 1, Acharya Prafulla Chandra Road, Kolkata 700009, West Bengal, India
Food Chem Toxicol 45:817-26. 2007..niruri was investigated against carbon tetrachloride (CCl(4)) induced liver damage in vivo. Protein isolate of P...
- Antioxidant and antiapoptotic effects of capsaicin against carbon tetrachloride-induced hepatotoxicity in ratsMemy H Hassan
Department of Pharmacy, Faculty of Health Sciences, Taibah University, Saudi Arabia
Toxicol Ind Health 28:428-38. 2012The aim of the study was to evaluate the potential hepatoprotective utility of capsaicin against carbon tetrachloride (CCl₄)-induced liver injury and to explore the possible mechanisms whereby this agent mediated its beneficial effects...
- Evaluation of the antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and hepatoprotective properties of vanillin in carbon tetrachloride-treated ratsMohamed Makni
Food Processing Department, ISET, BP 377, 9100 Sidi Bouzid, Tunisia
Eur J Pharmacol 668:133-9. 2011..These findings suggest that the antioxidant and anti-inflammatory effects of vanillin against CCl(4)-induced acute liver injury may involve its ability to block CCl(4)-generated free radicals...
- Protective effects of curcumin, α-lipoic acid, and N-acetylcysteine against carbon tetrachloride-induced liver fibrosis in ratsMohamed A Morsy
Department of Pharmacology, El Minia University, El Minia, Egypt
J Physiol Biochem 68:29-35. 2012..the present work, the effectiveness of curcumin, α-lipoic acid, and N-acetylcysteine in protecting against carbon tetrachloride (CCl(4))-induced liver fibrosis as well as the mechanism(s) implicated in this protective effect was ..
- The role of tumor necrosis factor-alpha in liver toxicity, inflammation, and fibrosis induced by carbon tetrachlorideP P Simeonova
Toxicology and Molecular Biology Branch, National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health, 1095 Willowdale Road, Morgantown, West Virginia 26505, USA
Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 177:112-20. 2001..We examined the role of TNFalpha in transgenic mice deficient in TNF receptors (TNFR) utilizing carbon tetrachloride (CCl(4)) as a model hepatotoxic agent that allowed for the evaluation of necrosis, inflammation, and ..
- The protective effects of Curcuma longa Linn. extract on carbon tetrachloride-induced hepatotoxicity in rats via upregulation of Nrf2Hyeong Seon Lee
Department of Smart Foods and Drugs, Graduate School, Inje University, Gimhae, Gyeongnam 621 749, South Korea
J Microbiol Biotechnol 20:1331-8. 2010..extract (CLE) on carbon tetrachloride (CCl4)-induced hepatotoxicity in rats...
- Interleukin-10 controls neutrophilic infiltration, hepatocyte proliferation, and liver fibrosis induced by carbon tetrachloride in miceH Louis
Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatopancreatology, Brussels, Belgium
Hepatology 28:1607-15. 1998..cytokine interleukin-10 (IL-10) was investigated in the mouse model of liver injury induced by carbon tetrachloride (CCl4)...
- Protective effects of the flavonoid-rich fraction from rhizomes of Smilax glabra Roxb. on carbon tetrachloride-induced hepatotoxicity in ratsDaozong Xia
College of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Zhejiang Chinese Medical University, No 548, Binwen Road, Hangzhou 310053, Zhejiang Province, China
J Membr Biol 246:479-85. 2013..SGF) on carbon tetrachloride (CCl₄)-induced hepatotoxicity in rats...
- Curcumin protects against acute liver damage in the rat by inhibiting NF-kappaB, proinflammatory cytokines production and oxidative stressKarina Reyes-Gordillo
Seccion Externa de Farmacologia, CINVESTAV IPN, Apdo Postal 14 740 México 07000, D F Mexico
Biochim Biophys Acta 1770:989-96. 2007Curcumin, an anti-inflammatory and antioxidant compound, was evaluated for its ability to suppress acute carbon tetrachloride-induced liver damage. Acute hepatotoxicity was induced by oral administration of CCl4 (4 g/kg, p.o.)...
- Protective effects of Launaea procumbens on rat testis damage by CCl4Rahmat Ali Khan
Department of Biotechnology, Faculty of Biological Sciences, University of Science and Technology Bannu, Bannu, KPK, Pakistan
Lipids Health Dis 11:103. 2012..In the present study protective effects of methanolic extract of Launaea procumbens (LPME) was evaluated against CCl4-induced oxidative damages in rat testis...
- Aliskiren attenuates chronic carbon tetrachloride-induced liver injury in miceKuei Chuan Lee
Division of Gastroenterology, Department of Medicine, Taipei Veterans General Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan
Eur J Clin Invest 42:1261-71. 2012..Increased angiotensin II (Ang II) plays an important role in liver inflammation and fibrogenesis. Chronic administration of aliskiren, a newly developed direct renin inhibitor, decreases Ang II in the hypertensive patients and animals...
- Cell transplantation of adipose tissue-derived stem cells in combination with heparin attenuated acute liver failure in miceHiroshi Yukawa
Department of Advanced Medicine in Biotechnology and Robotics, Nagoya University Graduate School of Medicine, Nagoya 461 0047, Japan
Cell Transplant 18:611-8. 2009..stem cells (ASCs) in combination with heparin transplantation on acute liver failure mice with carbon tetrachloride (CCl(4)) injection was investigated. CCl(4) is a well-known hepatotoxin and induces hepatic necrosis...
- Protection of the liver against CCl4-induced injury by intramuscular electrotransfer of a kallistatin-encoding plasmidYong Diao
Institute of Molecular Medicine, Huaqiao University, Quanzhou 362021, Fujian Province, China
World J Gastroenterol 17:111-7. 2011To investigate the effect of transgenic expression of kallistatin (Kal) on carbon tetrachloride (CCl(4))-induced liver injury by intramuscular (im) electrotransfer of a Kal-encoding plasmid formulated with poly-L-glutamate (PLG).
- Anti-fibrotic effect of chorionic plate-derived mesenchymal stem cells isolated from human placenta in a rat model of CCl(4)-injured liver: potential application to the treatment of hepatic diseasesMin Jae Lee
School of Veterinary Medicine, Kangwon National University, Chuncheon, Kangwon Do, Republic of Korea
J Cell Biochem 111:1453-63. 2010..plate-derived mesenchymal stem cells (CP-MSCs) isolated from human placenta and transplanted into rats with carbon tetrachloride (CCl(4))-injured livers...
- Molecular process in acute liver injury and regeneration induced by carbon tetrachlorideMakoto Taniguchi
Division of Molecular Biology, Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology, School of Life Sciences, Tottori University Faculty of Medicine, 86 Nishimachi, Yonago 683 8503, Japan
Life Sci 75:1539-49. 2004Injection of carbon tetrachloride (CCl4) intraperitoneally into model animals induces acute liver injury mediated by reactive oxygen species (ROS) as normal metabolites in hepatocytes...
- Propolis protects CYP 2E1 enzymatic activity and oxidative stress induced by carbon tetrachlorideMonika Bhadauria
School of Studies in Zoology, Jiwaji University, Gwalior, 474011 MP, India
Mol Cell Biochem 302:215-24. 2007Induction of CYP 2E1 by carbon tetrachloride (CCl(4)) is one of the central pathways by which CCl(4) generates oxidative stress in hepatocytes...
- Mesenchymal stem cell infusion therapy in a carbon tetrachloride-induced liver fibrosis model affects matrix metalloproteinase expressionVahideh Rabani
Department of Stem Cells and Developmental Biology, Royan Institute for Stem Cell Biology and Technology, ACECR, Tehran, Iran
Cell Biol Int 34:601-5. 2010..In conclusion, MSCs can enhance recovery of a CCl(4)-injured mouse liver through their influence in reducing collagen deposition by possibly affecting expression of MMPs...
- Neutralization of CXCL10 accelerates liver regeneration in carbon tetrachloride-induced acute liver injuryHiroyuki Yoneyama
Laboratory of Stem Cell Dynamism, Stelic Institute of Regenerative Medicine, Stelic Institute and Co, 1 9 15 Higashi azabu, Mihato ku, Tokyo, Japan
Med Mol Morphol 40:191-7. 2007..We report here that the chemokine CXCL10 regulates hepatic tissue remodeling in a carbon tetrachloride (CCl(4))-induced acute liver injury in mice...
- Protective effect of recombinant human IL-1Ra on CCl4-induced acute liver injury in miceRun Zhi Zhu
Shanghai Municipality Key Laboratory of Veterinary Biotechnology, School of Agriculture and Biology, Shanghai Jiao Tong University, Shanghai 200240, China
World J Gastroenterol 16:2771-9. 2010To evaluate the effects of positive regulation of recombinant human interleukin 1 receptor antagonist (rhIL-1Ra) on hepatic tissue recovery in acute liver injury in mice induced by carbon tetrachloride (CCl(4)).
- Effects of silymarin nanoemulsion against carbon tetrachloride-induced hepatic damageRabea Parveen
Department of Pharmaceutics, Faculty of Pharmacy, Jamia Hamdard, New Delhi 110062, India
Arch Pharm Res 34:767-74. 2011..parameters and histopathological properties of the nanoemulsion formulation of silymarin against carbon tetrachloride (CCl(4))-induced hepatotoxicity...
- Early growth response-1 attenuates liver injury and promotes hepatoprotection after carbon tetrachloride exposure in miceMichele T Pritchard
Department of Pathobiology, Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, OH 44195, USA
J Hepatol 53:655-62. 2010..Here, we tested the hypothesis that Egr-1 is beneficial after toxic liver injury...
- Emodin protects rat liver from CCl(4)-induced fibrogenesis via inhibition of hepatic stellate cells activationMiao Xian Dong
The Institute of Medicine, Qiqihar Medical University, JianHua District, Qiqihar, Heilongjiang Province, China
World J Gastroenterol 15:4753-62. 2009To investigate the role of emodin in protecting the liver against fibrogenesis caused by carbon tetrachloride (CCl(4)) in rats and to further explore the underlying mechanisms.
- Melatonin ameliorates carbon tetrachloride-induced hepatic fibrogenesis in rats via inhibition of oxidative stressHua Wang
Institute of Clinical Pharmacology, Anhui Medical University, Hefei 230032, China
Life Sci 77:1902-15. 2005..The aim of this study was to investigate the protective effects of administration of melatonin in rats with carbon tetrachloride-induced fibrosis for 6 weeks...
- Acute renal failure induced by carbon tetrachloride in rats with hepatic cirrhosisFernando Jaramillo-Juárez
Universidad Autonoma de Aguascalientes, Aguascalientes, Mexico
Ann Hepatol 7:331-8. 2008..Cirrhosis was induced with carbon tetrachloride by chronic administration...
- Hepatoprotective effect and its possible mechanism of Coptidis rhizoma aqueous extract on carbon tetrachloride-induced chronic liver hepatotoxicity in ratsYibin Feng
School of Chinese Medicine, The University of Hong Kong, Pokfulam, Hong Kong, PR China
J Ethnopharmacol 138:683-90. 2011..In the present study, the protection of CRAE on chronic liver damage induced by carbon tetrachloride (CCl(4)) in rats and its related mechanism were explored.
- Disruption of the Smad7 gene enhances CCI4-dependent liver damage and fibrogenesis in miceJafar Hamzavi
Molecular Alcohol Research in Gastroenterology, Department of Medicine II, Faculty of Medicine at Mannheim, University of Heidelberg, Germany
J Cell Mol Med 12:2130-44. 2008..To obtain insight into Smad7-depend-ent protective effects, chronic liver damage was induced in mice by carbon tetrachloride (CCI4) administration...
- Role of IL-6 trans-signaling in CCl₄induced liver damageJessica Gewiese-Rabsch
Institute of Biochemistry, Christian Albrechts University of Kiel, Kiel, Germany
Biochim Biophys Acta 1802:1054-61. 2010..We conclude that IL-6 trans-signaling via the soluble IL-6R is important for the physiologic response of the liver to CCl₄ induced chemical damage...
- Comparative effects of curcumin and an analogue of curcumin in carbon tetrachloride-induced hepatotoxicity in ratsNarasimhanaidu Kamalakkannan
Department of Biochemistry, Faculty of Science, Rajah Muthiah Medical College, Annamalai University, Annamalainagar 608002, Tamil Nadu, India
Basic Clin Pharmacol Toxicol 97:15-21. 2005..diferuloyl methane) and its analogue [bis-1,7-(2-hydroxyphenyl)-hepta-1,6-diene-3,5-dione] (BDMC-A) on carbon tetrachloride-induced hepatotoxicity in rats...
- Hydroxysafflor yellow A protects against chronic carbon tetrachloride-induced liver fibrosisYingbo Zhang
The Institute of Medicine, Qiqihar Medical University, Qiqihar 161006, China
Eur J Pharmacol 660:438-44. 2011..In the present study, we investigated the effects of HSYA in rats with carbon tetrachloride (CCl4)-induced liver fibrosis...
- Hepatoprotective effect of Phyllanthus in Taiwan on acute liver damage induced by carbon tetrachlorideChao Ying Lee
School of Pharmacy, China Medical University, Taichung 404, Taiwan, R O C
Am J Chin Med 34:471-82. 2006..s. urinaria and GA correlate with a reduction in liver infiltration and focal necrosis observed using histological methods, these data demonstrate that P. acidus and P. urinaria L.s. urinaria are hepatoprotective and antioxidant agents...
- Protective effects of Coriandrum sativum extracts on carbon tetrachloride-induced hepatotoxicity in ratsS Sreelatha
Department of Chemistry and Biosciences, SASTRA University, SRC Campus, Kumbakonam, Tamilnadu, India
Food Chem Toxicol 47:702-8. 2009..Based on these results, it was observed that C. sativum extract protects liver from oxidative stress induced by CCl(4) and thus helps in evaluation of traditional claim on this plant...
- The involvement of Kupffer cells in carbon tetrachloride toxicityM J Edwards
Department of Pharmacology, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill 27599 7365
Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 119:275-9. 1993b>Carbon tetrachloride (CCl4) is a classical pericentral hepatotoxicant; however, precise details of its mechanism of action remain unknown...
- Effects of silymarin on the resolution of liver fibrosis induced by carbon tetrachloride in ratsJ H Tsai
Basic Medical Science Education Center, College of Medicine and Health, Fooyin University, Kaohsiung, Taiwan
J Viral Hepat 15:508-14. 2008..However, the therapeutic effects of silymarin remain undefined. Carbon tetrachloride (CCl4) is a xenobiotic used extensively to induce oxidative stress and is one of the most widely used ..
- Hepato and reno protective action of Calendula officinalis L. flower extractKorengath Chandran Preethi
Department of Biochemistry Amala Cancer Research Centre, Amala Nagar, Thrissur, India, 680 555
Indian J Exp Biol 47:163-8. 2009..Extract has been found to contain several carotenoids of which lutein, zeaxanthin and lycopene predominates. Possible mechanism of action of the flower extract may be due to its antioxidant activity and reduction of oxygen radicals...
- Bone marrow-derived mesenchymal stem cells protect against experimental liver fibrosis in ratsDong Chang Zhao
Center for Stem Cell Biology and Tissue Engineering, Sun Yat Sen University, 74 Zhongshan Road II, Guangzhou 510080, Guangdong Province, China
World J Gastroenterol 11:3431-40. 2005..These results provide a clue to treatment of liver fibrosis. The aim of this study was to investigate the effect of infusion of bone marrow (BM)-derived MSCs on the experimental liver fibrosis in rats...
- Transplantation of human amnion epithelial cells reduces hepatic fibrosis in immunocompetent CCl₄-treated miceUrsula Manuelpillai
Centre for Reproduction and Development, Monash Institute of Medical Research, Monash University, Clayton, Victoria, Australia
Cell Transplant 19:1157-68. 2010..isolated from term delivered placenta, into immunocompetent C57/BL6 mice at week 2 of a 4-week regimen of carbon tetrachloride (CCl₄) exposure to induce liver fibrosis...
- A synthetic peptide from transforming growth factor beta type III receptor inhibits liver fibrogenesis in rats with carbon tetrachloride liver injuryIgnacio José Ezquerro
Departamento de Medicina Interna, Universidad de Navarra, Pamplona, Spain
Cytokine 22:12-20. 2003..These results suggest that short synthetic peptides derived from TGF-beta1 type III receptor may be of value in reducing liver fibrosis in chronic liver injury...
- The epidermal growth factor receptor ligand amphiregulin participates in the development of mouse liver fibrosisMaria J Perugorria
Division of Hepatology and Gene Therapy, CIMA, University of Navarra, Pamplona, Spain
Hepatology 48:1251-61. 2008..AR also stimulated cell proliferation and exerted a potent antiapoptotic effect on isolated fibrogenic cells...
- The hepatoprotective effects of Limonium sinense against carbon tetrachloride and beta-D-galactosamine intoxication in ratsShang Shing Chaung
Department of Pharmacy, Kaohsiung Municipal Ta Tung Hospital, Kaohsiung, Taiwan, Republic of China
Phytother Res 17:784-91. 2003In the present study, the hepatoprotective action of Limonium sinense (Plumbaginaceae) was evident after carbon tetrachloride (CCl(4)) and beta-D-galactosamine (D-GalN), respectively, challenge in rats...
- Effects of blueberry on hepatic fibrosis and transcription factor Nrf2 in ratsYu Ping Wang
Department of Infectious Diseases, Guiyang Medical College, Guiyang 550004, Guizhou Province, China
World J Gastroenterol 16:2657-63. 2010..To investigate the effects of blueberry on hepatic fibrosis and NF-E2-related factor 2 (Nrf2) transcription factor in rats...
- Bone marrow-derived cells express matrix metalloproteinases and contribute to regression of liver fibrosis in miceReiichi Higashiyama
Liver Fibrosis Research Unit, Department of Community Health, Tokai University School of Medicine, Isehara, Japan
Hepatology 45:213-22. 2007..marrow (BM)-derived cells to the spontaneous regression of liver fibrosis, mice were treated with repeated carbon tetrachloride injections after hematopoietic reconstitution with enhanced green fluorescent protein (EGFP)-expressing BM ..
- The therapeutic potential of human umbilical mesenchymal stem cells from Wharton's jelly in the treatment of rat liver fibrosisPei Chun Tsai
Institute of Anatomy and Cell Biology, School of Medicine, National Yang Ming University, Taipei, Taiwan, Republic of China
Liver Transpl 15:484-95. 2009We investigated the effect of human umbilical mesenchymal stem cells (HUMSCs) from Wharton's jelly on carbon tetrachloride (CCl4)-induced liver fibrosis in rats...
- Kupffer cells are associated with apoptosis, inflammation and fibrotic effects in hepatic fibrosis in ratsCheng Liu
Institute of Liver Diseases, Shuguang Hospital, Shanghai, People s Republic of China
Lab Invest 90:1805-16. 2010..Hepatic fibrosis was induced in rats by dimethylnitrosamine (DMN) or carbon tetrachloride (CCl4) treatment...
- Newly proposed fibrosis staging criterion for assessing carbon tetrachloride- and albumin complex-induced liver fibrosis in rodentsXin Yan Zhao
Liver Research Center, Beijing Friendship Hospital, Capital Medical University
Pathol Int 58:580-8. 2008..Liver fibrosis was induced by carbon tetrachloride (CCl(4)) or albumin antigen-antibody complex in Balb/C mice or Wistar rats...
- Systemic infusion of FLK1(+) mesenchymal stem cells ameliorate carbon tetrachloride-induced liver fibrosis in miceBaijun Fang
Sino American Collaborative Laboratory, State Key Lab of Experimental Haematology, Institute of Haematology and Blood Diseases Hospital, Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences and Tissue Engineering Center, Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences, Tianjin, China
Transplantation 78:83-8. 2004..This study was designed to evaluate the effect of Flk1 MSCs from murine BM (termed here Flk1 mMSCs) on fibrosis formation induced by carbon tetrachloride (CCl4).
- Carbon tetrachloride-induced nephrotoxicity and protective effect of betaine in Sprague-Dawley ratsFeral Ozturk
Department of Histology Embryology, Inonu University Faculty of Medicine, Malatya, Turkey
Urology 62:353-6. 2003..the changes in the antioxidative defense enzymes and to detect the alterations of renal microscopy after carbon tetrachloride (CCl4) administration in rats and to investigate the possible protective effects of betaine against CCl4-..
- Nitric oxide protection of rat liver from lipid peroxidation, collagen accumulation, and liver damage induced by carbon tetrachlorideP Muriel
Departamento de Farmacologia y Toxicologia, Centro de Investigación y de Estudios Avanzados del I P N, Mexico, DF, Mexico
Biochem Pharmacol 56:773-9. 1998..These results suggest that NO protects the liver against oxidative injury, because NO inhibition by L-NAME or AG increased lipid peroxidation and the other markers of liver injury studied herein...
- Scar-associated macrophages are a major source of hepatic matrix metalloproteinase-13 and facilitate the resolution of murine hepatic fibrosisJonathan A Fallowfield
Liver Research Group, Southampton General Hospital, Southampton, United Kingdom
J Immunol 178:5288-95. 2007..Thus, SAMs selectively, during resolution of fibrosis induce and use the major collagenase MMP13 to mediate the resorption of interstitial matrix and successfully remodel the fibrotic liver...
- Lisosan G, a powder of grain, does not interfere with the drug metabolizing enzymes and has a protective role on carbon tetrachloride-induced hepatotoxicityVincenzo Longo
Laboratory of Pharmacogenetics and Drug Metabolism, Istituto di Fisiologia Clinica, CNR, Via Moruzzi, 1, Pisa, 56100, Italy
Biotechnol Lett 29:1155-9. 2007..of the antioxidative property of Lisosan G was also confirmed when it was administered in vivo to carbon tetrachloride (CCl(4))-intoxicated rats...
- Regeneration of coenzyme Q9 redox state and inhibition of oxidative stress by Rooibos tea (Aspalathus linearis) administration in carbon tetrachloride liver damageJ Kucharska
Pharmacobiochemical Laboratory, School of Medicine, Comenius University, Hlboka 7, 811 05 Bratislava, Slovak Republic
Physiol Res 53:515-21. 2004..tea (Aspalathus linearis) on liver antioxidant status and oxidative stress was investigated in rat model of carbon tetrachloride-induced liver damage. Synthetic antioxidant N-acetyl-L-cysteine (NAC) was used for comparison...
- Hepatoprotection of chlorella against carbon tetrachloride-induced oxidative damage in ratsHsin Yi Peng
Department of Food and Nutrition, Providence University, Shalu, Taichung, Taiwan, P R C
In Vivo 23:747-54. 2009The effects of 80% ethanolic chlorella extracts (GPE) on carbon tetrachloride (CCl(4))-induced hepatic damage were investigated in Sprague-Dawley rats. The rats were orally treated with GPE (0.5 g/kg body weight) or silymarin (0...
- Protective effect of red beetroot against carbon tetrachloride- and N-nitrosodiethylamine-induced oxidative stress in ratsMałgorzata Kujawska
Department of Toxicology, Poznan University of Medical Sciences, Poznan, Poland
J Agric Food Chem 57:2570-5. 2009..effect of beetroot juice in a model of oxidative stress induced by N-nitrosodiethylamine (NDEA) and carbon tetrachloride (CCl(4)). Male Wistar rats were treated with beetroot juice per os, 8 mL/kg/day for 28 days, and a single i...
- The antioxidant and antifibrogenic effects of the glycosaminoglycans hyaluronic acid and chondroitin-4-sulphate in a subchronic rat model of carbon tetrachloride-induced liver fibrogenesisGiuseppe M Campo
Department of Biochemical, Physiological and Nutritional Sciences, School of Medicine, University of Messina, Policlinico Universitario, 98125, Italy
Chem Biol Interact 148:125-38. 2004..They also confirm that HYA and C4S may exert antioxidant mechanism, while reduction of TIMPs expression suggests that GAGs may influence MMPs and TIMPs imbalance in liver fibrosis...
- Enhanced carbon tetrachloride-induced liver fibrosis in mice lacking adiponectinYoshihiro Kamada
Department of Internal Medicine and Molecular Science, Osaka University, Graduate School of Medicine, Suita, Japan
Gastroenterology 125:1796-807. 2003..Adiponectin suppresses the proliferation and migration of vascular smooth muscle cells, whose characteristics are similar to those of hepatic stellate cells. Adiponectin could have biological significances in liver fibrosis...
- Protective effects of quercetin and quercetin-5',8-disulfonate against carbon tetrachloride-caused oxidative liver injury in miceYanmang Cui
School of Pharmacy, Fourth Military Medical University, Xi an 710032, China
Molecules 19:291-305. 2013....
- Hepatoprotective effects of 18beta-glycyrrhetinic acid on carbon tetrachloride-induced liver injury: inhibition of cytochrome P450 2E1 expressionHye Gwang Jeong
Department of Pharmacy and Research Center for Proteineous Materials, Chosun University, 375 Seosuk dong, Kwangju 501 759, South Korea
Pharmacol Res 46:221-7. 2002..effects of 18beta-glycyrrhetinic acid (GA), the aglycone of glycyrrhizin (GL) derived from licorice, on carbon tetrachloride-induced hepatotoxicity and the possible mechanisms involved in this protection were investigated in mice...
- Effects of Ag(I), Au(III), and Cu(II) on the reductive dechlorination of carbon tetrachloride by green rustEdward J O'Loughlin
Air Force Research Laboratory, AFRL MLQL, 139 Barnes Drive, Tyndall Air Force Base, Florida, 32403 5323, USA
Environ Sci Technol 37:2905-12. 2003..Reductive dechlorination of carbon tetrachloride (CT) was examined in aqueous suspensions of GR amended with Ag(I), Au(III), or Cu(II)...
- Tanshinone IIA protects rat primary hepatocytes against carbon tetrachloride toxicity via inhibiting mitochondria permeability transitionBin Zhu
Department of Pharmacy, Fudan University Cancer Hospital, Shanghai, China
Pharm Biol 48:484-7. 2010..carried out to investigate the possible mechanisms involved in the hepatoprotective effects of Tan IIA on carbon tetrachloride (CCl(4))-induced hepatocyte toxicity...
- P2X7 receptor-NADPH oxidase axis mediates protein radical formation and Kupffer cell activation in carbon tetrachloride-mediated steatohepatitis in obese miceSaurabh Chatterjee
Free Radical Metabolism Group, Laboratory of Toxicology and Pharmacology, National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences, NIH, Research Triangle Park, NC 27709, USA
Free Radic Biol Med 52:1666-79. 2012While some studies show that carbon tetrachloride-mediated metabolic oxidative stress exacerbates steatohepatitic-like lesions in obese mice, the redox mechanisms that trigger the innate immune system and accentuate the inflammatory ..
- The molecular mechanisms of the hepatoprotective effect of gomisin A against oxidative stress and inflammatory response in rats with carbon tetrachloride-induced acute liver injuryRyutaro Teraoka
Graduate School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Graduate School of Musashino University, Tokyo, Japan
Biol Pharm Bull 35:171-7. 2012..a hepatoprotective effect, focusing on its antioxidant and anti-inflammatory effects using rats with carbon tetrachloride (CCl(4))-induced acute liver injury...
- Preventive and therapeutic effects of oleuropein against carbon tetrachloride-induced liver damage in miceRobert Domitrovic
Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, School of Medicine, University of Rijeka, Rijeka, Croatia
Pharmacol Res 65:451-64. 2012..In this study, we have investigated the hepatoprotective activity of oleuropein in carbon tetrachloride (CCl(4))-induced liver injury in male BALB/cN mice...
- Carbon tetrachloride-mediated lipid peroxidation induces early mitochondrial alterations in mouse liverLaetitia Knockaert
INSERM, UMR 991, Liver Metabolisms and Cancer, Rennes, France
Lab Invest 92:396-410. 2012Although carbon tetrachloride (CCl(4))-induced acute and chronic hepatotoxicity have been extensively studied, little is known about the very early in vivo effects of this organic solvent on oxidative stress and mitochondrial function...
- Carbon tetrachloride-induced hepatotoxicity and its amelioration by Agaricus blazei Murrill extract in a mouse modelJin Biou Chang
Department of Pathology, National Defense Medical Center, Division of Clinical Pathology, Tri Service General Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan, ROC
In Vivo 25:971-6. 2011..the hepatoprotective effect of Agaricus blazei Murrill extract (ABM) against experimentally induced carbon tetrachloride (CCl(4)) toxicity in male BALB/c mice...
- Blackberry extract attenuates oxidative stress through up-regulation of Nrf2-dependent antioxidant enzymes in carbon tetrachloride-treated ratsByoung Ok Cho
Korea Atomic Energy Research Institute, Jeongeup, Jeonbuk 580 185, Republic of Korea
J Agric Food Chem 59:11442-8. 2011..this study was to investigate the protective ability of blackberry extract (BE) against oxidative stress in carbon tetrachloride (CCl(4))-treated rats...
- Macrophage therapy for murine liver fibrosis recruits host effector cells improving fibrosis, regeneration, and functionJames A Thomas
MRC Centre for Inflammation Research, University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh, UK
Hepatology 53:2003-15. 2011..Advanced liver fibrosis was induced in female mice by chronic administration of carbon tetrachloride. Unmanipulated, syngeneic macrophages, their specific BM precursors, or unfractionated BM cells were ..
- Protective effect of L-theanine on carbon tetrachloride-induced acute liver injury in miceWei Jiang
State Key Laboratory of Pharmaceutical Biotechnology, School of Life Sciences, Nanjing University, Nanjing 210093, PR China
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 422:344-50. 2012We studied effects of L-theanine, a unique amino acid in tea, on carbon tetrachloride (CCl(4))-induced liver injury in mice...
- Acetyl-L-carnitine prevents carbon tetrachloride-induced oxidative stress in various tissues of Wistar ratsThangaraj Annadurai
Department of Animal Science, School of Life Sciences, Bharathidasan University, Tiruchirappalli, 620 024, Tamil Nadu, India
J Physiol Biochem 67:519-30. 2011..The present study was based on the hypothesis that ALCAR prevents carbon tetrachloride (CCl(4))-induced oxidative stress in vital tissues...
- Hepatoprotective effects of apple polyphenols on CCl4-induced acute liver damage in miceJingyu Yang
Department of Pharmacology, Shenyang Pharmaceutical University, 103 Wenhua Road, Shenyang 110016, China
J Agric Food Chem 58:6525-31. 2010....
- Review of experimental models for inducing hepatic cirrhosis by bile duct ligation and carbon tetrachloride injectionThamirys Guimarães Marques
School of Medicine, USP, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Acta Cir Bras 27:589-94. 2012To present a review about a comparative study of bile duct ligation versus carbon tetrachloride Injection for inducing experimental liver cirrhosis.
- Branched-chain amino acid-enriched nutrients stimulate antioxidant DNA repair in a rat model of liver injury induced by carbon tetrachlorideKengo Ichikawa
Regenerative Medicine Group, Center for Innovative and Translational Medicine, Department of Surgery at Kochi Medical School, Kochi University, Kohasu Okocho, Nankoku, Kochi, 783 8505, Japan
Mol Biol Rep 39:10803-10. 2012..Liver cirrhosis was induced in ten male Sprague-Dawley rats by administering carbon tetrachloride for 12 weeks...
- S-allylmercaptocysteine reduces carbon tetrachloride-induced hepatic oxidative stress and necroinflammation via nuclear factor kappa B-dependent pathways in miceJia Xiao
Department of Anatomy, Li Ka Shing Faculty of Medicine, The University of Hong Kong, L1 41, Laboratory Block, 21 Sassoon Road, Pokfulam, Hong Kong SAR, China
Eur J Nutr 51:323-33. 2012To study the protective effects and underlying molecular mechanisms of SAMC on carbon tetrachloride (CCl4)-induced acute hepatotoxicity in the mouse model.
- Selenium supplementation decreases hepatic fibrosis in mice after chronic carbon tetrachloride administrationMing Ding
Department of Medicine, The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21205 2195, USA
Biol Trace Elem Res 133:83-97. 2010..The principal mechanisms for the decreased fibrosis are a lower number of collagen-producing stellate cells and increased collagen degradation...
- Protective effect of Diyarbakır watermelon juice on carbon tetrachloride-induced toxicity in ratsSevcan Altaş
Dicle University, Faculty of Science, Chemistry Department, 21280 Diyarbakir, Turkey
Food Chem Toxicol 49:2433-8. 2011..Sürme) juice on lipid peroxidation states in rat liver, kidney and brain. In vivo administration of carbon tetrachloride (CCl(4)) once a week for 28 days caused a significant elevation of serum markers of liver damage, aspartate ..
- FXR regulates liver repair after CCl4-induced toxic injuryZhipeng Meng
Department of Gene Regulation and Drug Discovery, Beckman Research Institute, City of Hope National Medical Center, 1500 East Duarte Road, Duarte, California 91010, USA
Mol Endocrinol 24:886-97. 2010..Here we show that FXR is essential to promote liver repair after carbon tetrachloride (CCl(4))-induced injury...
- Direct and indirect contribution of human embryonic stem cell-derived hepatocyte-like cells to liver repair in miceDong Hun Woo
Laboratory of Stem Cell Biology, Division of Biotechnology, College of Life Sciences and Biotechnology, Korea University, Seoul, Republic of Korea
Gastroenterology 142:602-11. 2012..We investigated the direct and indirect roles of human embryonic stem cell-derived cells in liver repair in mice...
- Negundoside, an irridiod glycoside from leaves of Vitex negundo, protects human liver cells against calcium-mediated toxicity induced by carbon tetrachlorideSheikh A Tasduq
Experimental Toxicology Lab, Division of Pharmacology, Indian Institute of Integrative Medicine, CSIR, Canal Road, Jammu 180001, Jammu and Kashmir, India
World J Gastroenterol 14:3693-709. 2008To evaluate the protective effect of 2'-p-hydroxybenzoylmussaenosidic acid [negundoside (NG), against carbon tetrachloride (CCl(4))-induced toxicity in HuH-7 cells.
- Hepatoprotective effects of phloridzin on hepatic fibrosis induced by carbon tetrachloride against oxidative stress-triggered damage and fibrosis in ratsGaigai Deng
Hubei Key Laboratory of Natural Products Research and Development, China Three Gorges University, Yichang 443002, P R China
Biol Pharm Bull 35:1118-25. 2012..present study was to study the hepatoprotective effects of phloridzin (PHL) on hepatic fibrosis induced by carbon tetrachloride (CCl₄) in rats, on the basis of this investigation, the possible mechanism of PHL was elucidated...
- Gene expression profiles during hepatic stellate cell activation in culture and in vivoSamuele De Minicis
Department of Medicine, Columbia University, College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York, New York 10032, USA
Gastroenterology 132:1937-46. 2007..In this study, we determine gene expression changes in 3 different models of HSC activation and investigate whether HSC culture activation reproduces gene expression changes of HSC in vivo activation...
- Enhanced hepatic differentiation of mesenchymal stem cells after pretreatment with injured liver tissueSadia Mohsin
National Center of Excellence in Molecular Biology, 87 West Canal Bank Road, University of the Punjab, Lahore, Pakistan
Differentiation 81:42-8. 2011..Therefore, it was concluded that pretreatment with injured liver tissue augment homing and hepatic differentiation abilities of MSCs and provides an improved procedure for the treatment of liver fibrosis...
- Hepatoprotective action of schisandrin B against carbon tetrachloride toxicity was mediated by both enhancement of mitochondrial glutathione status and induction of heat shock proteins in miceMan Ho Tang
Department of Biochemistry, The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, Clear Water Bay, Hong Kong SAR, China
Biofactors 19:33-42. 2003..mitochondrial glutathione status and induction of heat shock proteins (HSPs) 25/70 in protecting against carbon tetrachloride (CCl_4) hepatotoxicity in schisandrin B (Sch B)-pretreated mice...
- Hepatoprotective and curative properties of Kombucha tea against carbon tetrachloride-induced toxicityG S Murugesan
Department of Biotechnology, Bharathiar University, Coimbatore 641 046, Tamil Nadu, India
J Microbiol Biotechnol 19:397-402. 2009..Antioxidant molecules produced during the fermentation period could be the reason for the efficient hepatoprotective and curative properties of KT against CCI4-induced hepatotoxicity...
- Histamine modulation of biliary proliferation and damageHeather L Francis; Fiscal Year: 2013..biliary damage (by apoptosis) induced by treatment with the hepatotoxin, carbon tetrachloride (CCl4)...
- Role of Platelet derived growth factor receptor-a in Liver Patho-biologySATDARSHAN SINGH MONGA; Fiscal Year: 2013..PDGFR[unreadable] signaling in hepatic fibrosis and cirrhosis in murine models of bile duct ligation and carbon tetrachloride administration...
- Complement and cytokine network in liver regenerationJohn D Lambris; Fiscal Year: 2011..The regenerative response is impaired after partial hepatectomy (PHx) and carbon tetrachloride (CCI4) injury in several mouse strains deficient in complement components...
- Involvement of Natural Killer T cells in Hepatic FibrogenesisIan N Hines; Fiscal Year: 2011..Utilizing two well described models of hepatic fibrosis in rodents, carbon tetrachloride administration or bile duct ligation, and two mouse models of NKT cell deficiency, CD1d-/- mice and Ja281-/-..
- Role of Butyrate in the Gut-Liver Interaction of Ethanol Induced Liver InjuryGAIL ANN CRESCI; Fiscal Year: 2013..The proposed work will provide preclinical data to help determine new therapeutic management of alcoholic liver disease (ALD). ..
- CCR2 in Hematopoietic Stem Cell Homing, Macrophage Polarization and Organ RepairIsrael F Charo; Fiscal Year: 2013..to the resolution of inflammation and ischemic injury in models of acute (acetaminophen)- and chronic (carbon tetrachloride)-induced hepatotoxicity, will determine the fate of the recruited stem and progenitor cells, and will test ..
- RIP3-mediated necroptosis and ethanol-induced liver injurySanjoy Roychowdhury; Fiscal Year: 2013..RIP3 is also induced in mouse liver in other models of hepatic injury including carbon tetrachloride (CCl4)- and ischemia/reperfusion-induced liver damage...
- Genetic control of hepatic fibrogenesisMichael D Wheeler; Fiscal Year: 2011..Collaborative Cross strains will be used to establish phenotypes associated with fibrosis induced by carbon tetrachloride. The rationale for the use of the Collaborative Cross strains is that within nearly 100 substrains over 95% ..
- Virtual High Throughput Screening: Specific Mechanism-based Inhibitors of CYP2E1Haoming Zhang; Fiscal Year: 2012..of a number of hepatotoxins and procarcinogens including ethanol, acetaminophen, nitrosamines, and carbon tetrachloride, among many others. CYP2E1 is highly inducible in human livers by alcohol...
- Liver fibrosis and ethanol: role of the transcription factor, Egr-1Michele T Pritchard; Fiscal Year: 2013..Indeed, recently published work completed during the K99 portion of this award revealed that carbon tetrachloride (CCI4)-induced liver fibrosis is enhanced in mice deficient in Egr-1...
- Trichloroethylene and Parkinson's DiseaseSamuel M Goldman; Fiscal Year: 2013..The chlorinated solvents tetrachloroethylene (PERC, perchloroethylene) and carbon tetrachloride (CCl4) were also associated...
- Extreme Ammonia Tolerance Mechanisms: A Model VertebratePatrick Walsh; Fiscal Year: 2004..In particular, liver damage due to exposure to toxicants such as carbon tetrachloride, toluene, DDT, heptachlor, etc...
- Sub-micrometer zero valent metal for in-situ remediation of contaminated aquifersJOHN FREIM; Fiscal Year: 2007..will also evaluate the ability of the new powders to convert common groundwater contaminants, including carbon tetrachloride, directly to non-chlorinated compounds without producing also-toxic chlorinated intermediaries...
- PROTECTION FROM ENVIRONMENTAL TOXINS/MUTAGENS BY INDOLESHOWARD SHERTZER; Fiscal Year: 1990..I-3-C), and other indole compounds protect against hepatotoxicity resulting from exposure to carbon tetrachloride (CCl4) or N-nitrosodimethylamine (NDMA)...
- Pathogenesis and Treatment of Alcohol-Induced CirrhosisBruce Cronstein; Fiscal Year: 2007..A2A receptor-knockout mice are protected from hepatic fibrosis in two widely accepted animal models (carbon tetrachloride- and thioacetamide-induced cirrhosis) (6, 7); and secondly, mice with high circulating and tissue levels of ..
- LIVER SPECIFIC, INDUCIBLE TRANSGENE AND HEPATOTOXICITYTsonwin Hai; Fiscal Year: 2000..ATF3 is induced by physiological stressors including: a) exposure to agents such as carbon tetrachloride, acetaminophen and alcohol, b) mechanical injury, c) restriction of blood flow to the heart, and d) brain ..
- ANTINEOPLASTIC DRUG HEPATIC INTERACTIONSDean Brenner; Fiscal Year: 1990..Specific aims include the: 1) use of bromobenzene or carbon tetrachloride to produce hepatic centrilobular lesions, furosemide to produce midzonal lesions, allyl formate to produce ..
- METHAMPHETAMINE-POTENTIATED HEPATOTOXICITYStephen Roberts; Fiscal Year: 1993..that methamphetamine potentiates the liver injury from two model hepatotoxic compounds, acetaminophen and carbon tetrachloride. This potentiation caused substantial liver injury to result from doses of these compounds that otherwise ..
- MECHANISMS OF HEPATOTOXICITY BY ENVIRONMENTAL POLLUTANTSRonald Thurman; Fiscal Year: 1991..The model compounds, carbon tetrachloride and allyl alcohol, selective toxins for pericentral and periportal regions of the liver, respectively, will ..
- BIOANALYSIS USING COATED CRYSTAL ATR/FTIR METHODSSTERLING TOMELLINI; Fiscal Year: 1992..The test analytes initially chosen will include: nitrobenzene, acetophenone, acetonitrile, toluene, carbon tetrachloride, caffeine, acetylsalicylic acid and acetaminophen...
- FEASIBILITY OF MODELING REACTIONS IN ENZYME ACTIVE SITESJAMES DIX; Fiscal Year: 1999..of chloride ion with methyl chloride in water, and the reaction of hydroxide ion with 1,2-dichloroethane in carbon tetrachloride. Ab initio quantum mechanical energies will be calculated and use to parameterize a potential energy ..
- INNOVATIVE APPROACHES TO THE STUDY OF LIVER REGENERATIONSTEVEN RAPER; Fiscal Year: 2000..the patterns of vector efficiency, gene expression and host immune response in normal, regenerating, and carbon tetrachloride-treated mouse liver using recombinant adenoviruses containing marker genes; 2) to study the expression of ..
- MECHANISM OF CARBON TETRACHLORIDE HEPATOTOXICITYJose Castro; Fiscal Year: 1993....
- TOXINS AND HEPATOCELLULAR PHOSPHOGLYCERIDE CATABOLISMROBERT LAMB; Fiscal Year: 1990The hepatotoxicity of carbon tetrachloride (CCl4) is primarily a result of electrophilic metabolites such as the trichloromethyl radical (.CCl3). Yet, the mechanism(s) by which .CCl3 causes cell death are still unresolved...
- TOXIC LIVER INJURY: CA2+, PLA2, PROTEASES & EICONSANOIDSERIC GLENDE; Fiscal Year: 1993..Most of the work will be carried out with suspensions of hepatocytes exposed to carbon tetrachloride and other agents known to alter calcium homeostasis and stimulate PLA2 activity including ..
- IL6 IN ACUTE AND CHRONIC LIVER INJURY AND REGENERATIONKellen Kovalovich; Fiscal Year: 2000..IL-6 reduces acute carbon tetrachloride-induced liver injury and hepatocyte apoptosis and enhances regeneration...
- Liver Stem Cell Response to Inflammation and AlcoholIan Hines; Fiscal Year: 2005..proliferation, one initiated by inflammation due to Concanavalin A (ConA) and a second by fibrosis due to carbon tetrachloride (CCI4), each followed by partial hepatectomy, we will first determine whether the type of injury affects ..
- CELL CALCIUM, CALCIUM PUMP, AND TOXIN ACTIONALBERT MOORE; Fiscal Year: 1991..increase of ionized calcium in the cytoplasm produced by exposure of the cell to halogenated hydrocarbons (carbon tetrachloride, 1, 1- dichloroethylene, bromobenzene)...
- Microarray Discovery of Hepatic BiomarkersBonnie Lau; Fiscal Year: 2009..Rapid upregulation of the arginine-sensitive amino acid transporter TA1/LAT1/CD98 light chain in response to carbon tetrachloride-induced injury has been demonstrated in previous studies...
- THE INTERPLAY BETWEEN HEPATIC GROWTH AND METABOLISMKim Olthoff; Fiscal Year: 2004..to regenerate and repair and explore mechanistic defects after partial hepatectomy, acute and chronic carbon tetrachloride (CCl4) mediated liver injury and FAS mediated liver injury...
- INDUCTION OF P21 AND P27 IN LIVER AFTER CCL4 INJURYANGELA TYNER; Fiscal Year: 2005DESCRIPTION: Carbon tetrachloride (CCl4) induces liver injury, which involves many pathological processes. In response to injury, the liver has the unique ability to regenerate...
- DNA, PROTEINS & CARBON TETRACHLORIDE HEPATOTOXICITYJose Castro; Fiscal Year: 1993..Results might give an insight to mechanisms of action of liver carcinogens of weak or null mutagenic nature as is CC14. ..
- MRP 2 (CMOAT) EXPRESSION IN HEPATOCELLULAR PROLIFERATIONJOSE MANAUTOU; Fiscal Year: 2000..proliferate following the administration of sublethal doses of two model hepatotoxicants (acetaminophen and carbon tetrachloride) have elevated expression of the canalicular ATP-dependent efflux pump for organic anions known as MRP-2, ..
- CLONING OF A NOVEL THERAPEUTIC HEPATOKINEJAMES LARRICK; Fiscal Year: 1993..Highly purified hepatopoietin administered after a lethal dose of carbon tetrachloride protected the exposed mice. Serum enzymes indicate a protective effect on hepatocytes...
- MOLECULAR MECHANISMS OF CHEMICAL CARCINOGENESISJohn Wong; Fiscal Year: 1980Our current emphasis is on radical alkylation carcinogenesis by carbon tetrachloride and the like. Our questions are: a) what reactions occur between base residues and radical species such as .CCl3 and ...
- REPLACEMENT OF SULFITE OXIDASE AFTER CC14 DAMAGEMICHAEL BRABEC; Fiscal Year: 1980..The activity of this enzyme in the rat hepatic mitochondria declines during intoxication by carbon tetrachloride. The decline in activity is coincident with a disruption of the outer membrane of the mitochondrion and a ..
- Breast Cancer Prevention and Treatment with Noni juiceMian Ying Wang; Fiscal Year: 2007..The latency, multiplicity, volume of tumors, and the survivor rate of animals at the end of experiment will be evaluated in different groups. ..
- Alcoholic Hepatitis: Molecular MechanismsStephen Safe; Fiscal Year: 2008..The long-term goal of this project is to device appropriate therapies that will prevent neutrophilic steatohepatitis in chronic alcoholics by reducing neutrophil infiltration into liver. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Mitochondrial Dysfunction and Drug HepatotoxicityHARTMUT W JAESCHKE; Fiscal Year: 2010..This new insight into the signaling mechanism of AAP-induced cell death holds the promise of establishing novel therapeutic approaches for preventing AAP-induced liver failure and potentially other forms of drug toxicity in humans. ..
- Regulation of Hepatic Excretion of Xenobiotics by MrpsCurtis D Klaassen; Fiscal Year: 2010..Elucidation of the role of Nrf2 in the regulation of the efflux transport process will have significant ramifications in toxicology, xenobiotics disposition, drug-drug interaction, and cancer chemoprevention. ..
- Oxidative Stress and Heart Failure by Copper RestrictionY James Kang; Fiscal Year: 2010..Therefore, Cu supplementation is not an appropriate approach to rescue diabetic cardiomyopathy. ..
- REG OF NITRIC OXIDE PRODUCT IN THE HEPATIC CIRCULATIONVijay Shah; Fiscal Year: 2002..Defining the mechanisms that regulate nitric oxide production in SEC may lead to therapeutic options whereby NO activity may be pharmacologically or genetically modulated and benefit patients with cirrhosis and portal hypertension. ..
- RELAXIN FAMILY PEPTIDES AND HEPATIC FIBROSISRobert Bennett; Fiscal Year: 2009..The research proposed in this application may lead to targeted therapeutic strategies for the treatment of liver disease, a major health concern in the United States. ..
- Molecular Mechanisms of Portal HypertensionVijay Shah; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Survivin expression and cancer cell drug resistanceFengzhi Li; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- MECHANISTIC STUDIES ON TEA AND CARCINOGENESISChung Yang; Fiscal Year: 2005..The applicant and colleagues will address key issues concerning the bioavailability and bioactivities of O-methyl, glucuronide, and sulfate derivatives and two ring-fission metabolites of tea catechins. ..
- Dermatopharmacokinetics: In Vivo Analysis of SolventsKarla Thrall; Fiscal Year: 2005..To evaluate the kinetics and dermal bioavailability of ethylbenzene, styrene, and toluene vapor using F344 rats. ..
- IL-6 regulation of matrix degradation in liver fibrosisMeena Bansal; Fiscal Year: 2006..Understanding these mechanisms will provide the basis for the development of novel anti-fibrotic therapies to treat a widely prevalent disease for which there is no effective treatment to date. ..
- LIVER RESPONSE TO LPS--ROLE OF LBP AND CD14Grace Su; Fiscal Year: 2003..II. Determine the mechanism by which LBP and CD14 accelerate ingestion of Gram-negative bacteria. III. Determine the mechanisms by which LBP/CD14 mediated KC activation promote bacterial killing. ..
- ANTIVIRAL & ANTIFIBROTIC LIVER THERAPY OF HCV+ DRINKERSCharles Lieber; Fiscal Year: 2005..Funds are requested for special laboratory tests, study nurses, travel to meetings, patient monitoring expenses and a core office. ..
- Beneficial Effects of Chemokines in LiverJACQUELYN MAHER; Fiscal Year: 2007..If chemokines have significant cytoprotective effects, then anti-chemokine therapy may be complicated by unwanted side effects. ..
- Antiviral/Antifibrotic Liver Therapy of Hepatitis C positive Alcohol DrinkersCharles Lieber; Fiscal Year: 2007..Accordingly, support is requested for the completion of this novel approach for the treatment of HCV+ patients who become abstinent or who continue to consume alcohol moderately. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Synergistic Nutraceutical Effects of DLPC and SAMeCharles Lieber; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Endothelial Nitric Oxide Synthase & Portal HypertensionVijay Shah; Fiscal Year: 2002..abstract_text> ..
- Reactivation Methylation-Silenced Genes by PolyphenolsChung Yang; Fiscal Year: 2007..5. To determine whether EGCG, alone or in combination with other agents, can prevent hypermethylation of genes and tumor development in the intestinal tumorigenesis model in the Min mice. ..
- Failure of FasL Mediated Pathways in Tumor AngiogenesisVijay Shah; Fiscal Year: 2006..These insights may lead to novel and effective therapeutic strategies that target this pathway to prevent angiogenesis, and thereby prevent colorectal tumor development growth and spread. ..
- Role of Matrix Metalloproteinase-2 in Liver FibrosisMeena Bansal; Fiscal Year: 2007..Findings from these investigations may lead to novel approaches to the treatment of chronic fibrosing liver disease. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Mechanisms of Neutrophil-induced Liver ToxicityHartmut Jaeschke; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- BIOCHEMISTRY AND PHARMACOLOGY OF D2/E2 ISOPROSTANESHuiyong Yin; Fiscal Year: 2008..Studies will examine mechanisms related to the formation, metabolism and biological actions of glyceryMsoPs in vivo. ..
- HYPOXIA AND HEPATIC FIBROGENESISVictor Ankoma Sey; Fiscal Year: 2002..abstract_text> ..
- HEPATOBILIARY DISPOSITION IN TOXICOLOGYCurtis Klaassen; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..