Genomes and Genes
Summary: A widely used industrial solvent.
Publications331 found, 100 shown here
- Phylogenetic analyses of a new group of denitrifiers capable of anaerobic growth of toluene and description of Azoarcus tolulyticus sp. novJ Zhou
Department of Crop and Soil Sciences, Michigan State University, East Lansing 48824 1325, USA
Int J Syst Bacteriol 45:500-6. 1995To understand the phylogeny and taxonomy of eight new toluene-degrading denitrifying isolates, we performed a 16S rRNA sequence analysis and a gas chromatographic analysis of their cellular fatty acids and examined some of their ..
- A chemical inhibitor of p53 that protects mice from the side effects of cancer therapyP G Komarov
Department of Molecular Genetics, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, IL 60607, USA
Science 285:1733-7. 1999..Thus, inhibitors of p53 may be useful drugs for reducing the side effects of cancer therapy and other types of stress associated with p53 induction...
- Transcriptional tradeoff between metabolic and stress-response programs in Pseudomonas putida KT2440 cells exposed to toluenePatricia Domínguez-Cuevas
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular and Cellular Biology of Plants, Estacion Experimental del Zaidin, Consejo Superior de Investigaciones Cientificas, Profesor Albareda, 1, E 18008 Granada, Spain
J Biol Chem 281:11981-91. 2006When Pseudomonas putida KT2440 cells encounter toluene in the growth medium, they perceive it simultaneously as a potential nutrient to be metabolized, as a membrane-damaging toxic drug to be extruded, and as a macromolecule-disrupting ..
- Electron acceptor-dependent identification of key anaerobic toluene degraders at a tar-oil-contaminated aquifer by Pyro-SIPGiovanni Pilloni
Institute of Groundwater Ecology, Helmholtz Zentrum Munchen German Research Center for Environmental Health, Neuherberg, Germany
FEMS Microbiol Ecol 78:165-75. 2011..We have previously detected a highly active fringe zone beneath a toluene plume at a tar-oil-contaminated aquifer in Germany, where a specialized community of contaminant degraders ..
- Evaluation of potential toxicity from co-exposure to three CNS depressants (toluene, ethylbenzene, and xylene) under resting and working conditions using PBPK modelingJames E Dennison
Quantitative and Computational Toxicology Group, Center for Environmental Toxicology and Technology, Department of Environmental and Radiological Health Sciences, Colorado State University, Ft Collins, Colorado 80523, USA
J Occup Environ Hyg 2:127-35. 2005..the validity of the additivity assumption, we performed unity calculations for a variety of exposures to toluene, ethylbenzene, and/or xylene using the concentration of each chemical in blood in the calculation instead of the ..
- Biodegradation of benzene, toluene, and xylene (BTX) in liquid culture and in soil by Bacillus subtilis and Pseudomonas aeruginosa strains and a formulated bacterial consortiumAshis K Mukherjee
Microbial Biotechnology and Protein Research Laboratory, Department of Molecular Biology and Biotechnology, Tezpur University, Tezpur, 784 028 Assam, India
Environ Sci Pollut Res Int 19:3380-8. 2012The major aromatic constituents of petroleum products viz. benzene, toluene, and mixture of xylenes (BTX) are responsible for environmental pollution and inflict serious public concern...
- A synthetic inhibitor of p53 protects neurons against death induced by ischemic and excitotoxic insults, and amyloid beta-peptideC Culmsee
Laboratory of Neurosciences, National Institute on Aging Gerontology Research Center, Baltimore 21224, USA
J Neurochem 77:220-8. 2001....
- Genotoxicity and apoptosis in Drosophila melanogaster exposed to benzene, toluene and xylene: attenuation by quercetin and curcuminMahendra P Singh
Embryotoxicology Section, Indian Institute of Toxicology Research CSIR, Mahatma Gandhi Marg, Lucknow 226001, Uttar Pradesh, India
Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 253:14-30. 2011Monocyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (MAHs) such as benzene, toluene and xylene are being extensively used for various industrial and household purposes...
- Assessment of the impact of the vehicular traffic on BTEX concentration in ring roads in urban areas of Bari (Italy)Maurizio Caselli
Dipartimento di Chimica, Universita degli Studi di Bari, Via Orabona 4, Bari, Italy
Chemosphere 81:306-11. 2010..The same concentration pattern and the correlation among BTEX levels in all sites confirmed the presence of a single source, the vehicular traffic, having a strong impact on air quality...
- In situ bioremediation of monoaromatic pollutants in groundwater: a reviewMehrdad Farhadian
LGCB, Polytech Clermont Ferrand, Universite Blaise Pascal, Clermont Ferrand, France
Bioresour Technol 99:5296-308. 2008Monoaromatic pollutants such as benzene, toluene, ethylbenzene and mixture of xylenes are now considered as widespread contaminants of groundwater...
- A PBPK modeling-based approach to account for interactions in the health risk assessment of chemical mixturesS Haddad
Groupe de Recherche en Toxicologie Humaine (TOXHUM, , , Case Postale 6128, Succursale Centre-Ville, , , Canada
Toxicol Sci 63:125-31. 2001..health risk associated with occupational inhalation exposure to airborne mixtures of dichloromethane, benzene, toluene, ethylbenzene, and m-xylene...
- Induction of hsp70, hsp60, hsp83 and hsp26 and oxidative stress markers in benzene, toluene and xylene exposed Drosophila melanogaster: role of ROS generationMahendra Pratap Singh
Embryotoxicology Section, Indian Institute of Toxicology Research, P O Box No 80, Mahatma Gandhi Marg, Lucknow 226 001, Uttar Pradesh, India
Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 235:226-43. 2009Exposure to benzene, toluene and xylene in the human population may pose a health risk. We tested a working hypothesis that these test chemicals cause cellular toxicity to a non-target organism, Drosophila melanogaster...
- Selective activation of p38 mitogen-activated protein kinase in dopaminergic neurons of substantia nigra leads to nuclear translocation of p53 in 1-methyl-4-phenyl-1,2,3,6-tetrahydropyridine-treated miceSmitha Karunakaran
Division of Molecular and Cellular Neurosciences, National Brain Research Centre, Nainwal Mode, Manesar 122050, India
J Neurosci 28:12500-9. 2008..Selective inhibitors of p38 may therefore, help preserve the surviving neurons in PD and slow down the disease progression...
- Toluene degradation by Pseudomonas putida F1. Nucleotide sequence of the todC1C2BADE genes and their expression in Escherichia coliG J Zylstra
Department of Microbiology, University of Iowa, Iowa City 52242
J Biol Chem 264:14940-6. 1989The nucleotide sequence of the todC1C2BADE genes which encode the first three enzymes in the catabolism of toluene by Pseudomonas putida F1 was determined...
- Influence of toluene co-exposure on the metabolism and genotoxicity of benzene in mice using continuous and intermittent exposuresM G Bird
ExxonMobil Biomedical Sciences Inc, Annandale, NJ 08801 0971, USA
Chem Biol Interact 184:233-9. 2010Benzene exposure in occupational settings often occurs with concurrent exposure to toluene, the methyl-substituted derivative of benzene...
- A mutation in dnaK causes stabilization of the heat shock sigma factor σ32, accumulation of heat shock proteins and increase in toluene-resistance in Pseudomonas putidaYuka Kobayashi
Graduate School of Life Sciences, Toyo University, Gunma, Japan
Environ Microbiol 13:2007-17. 2011..A toluene-resistant, temperature-sensitive derivative strain of Pseudomonas putida KT2442, designated KT2442-R2 (R2), ..
- Performances of toluene removal by activated carbon derived from durian shellY J Tham
Department of Environmental Science, Faculty of Environmental Studies, Universiti Putra Malaysia, 43400, UPM Serdang, Selangor, Malaysia
Bioresour Technol 102:724-8. 2011..prompted this research in assessing the effectiveness of activated carbon produced from durian shell in removing toluene vapors...
- Street and working children of Delhi, India, misusing toluene: an ethnographic explorationRajeev Seth
VIMHANS and PCI, New Delhi, India
Subst Use Misuse 40:1659-79. 2005..A purposive sample of those working children who were using toluene was selected by Snowball sampling...
- p53-mediated apoptosis of CLL cells: evidence for a transcription-independent mechanismAndrew J Steele
Department of Hematology, Royal Free and University College Medical School, London, United Kingdom
Blood 112:3827-34. 2008..Therefore, strategies that block up-regulation of p53-mediated transcription may be of value in enhancing apoptosis induction of CLL cells by p53-elevating drugs...
- Evaluation of genotoxicity and oxidative damage in painters exposed to low levels of tolueneAngela M Moro
Department of Clinical and Toxicology Analysis, Federal University of Rio Grande do Sul, Porto Alegre, Brazil
Mutat Res 746:42-8. 2012b>Toluene is an organic solvent used in numerous processes and products, including industrial paints...
- Central neurological abnormalities and multiple chemical sensitivity caused by chronic toluene exposureY L Lee
Department of Environmental and Occupational Health, National Cheng Kung University Medicine College, Tainan, Taiwan
Occup Med (Lond) 53:479-82. 2003..We report a 38-year-old male worker with chronic toluene exposure who developed symptoms such as palpitation, insomnia, dizziness with headache, memory impairment, ..
- Toluene depletion in produced oil contributes to souring control in a field subjected to nitrate injectionAkhil Agrawal
Petroleum Microbiology Research Group, Department of Biological Sciences, University of Calgary, 2500 University Drive NW, Calgary, Alberta, T2N 1N4, Canada
Environ Sci Technol 46:1285-92. 2012..Interestingly, oil produced by 2-PW was depleted of toluene, the preferred electron donor for nitrate reduction...
- Atmospheric BTX and polyaromatic hydrocarbons in Rio de Janeiro, BrazilMilena B Fernandes
Laboratorio de Toxicologia, CESTEH ENSP, Fundacao Oswaldo Cruz, Rio de Janeiro, RJ, Brazil
Chemosphere 47:417-25. 2002Polycyclic aromatic and monoaromatic (benzene, toluene and xylene, or BTX) hydrocarbons were monitored in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, during the summer of 1998/1999...
- Co-metabolic conversion of toluene in anaerobic n-alkane-degrading bacteriaRalf Rabus
Universitat Oldenburg, Carl von Ossietzky Straße 9 11, 26111 Oldenburg, Germany
Environ Microbiol 13:2576-86. 2011..alkylbenzene degraders (five denitrifying, three sulfate-reducing) were incubated with mixtures of n-alkanes and toluene. Whereas the toluene degradationers formed only the characteristic toluene-derived benzylsuccinate and benzoate, ..
- Inhibition of gap junction currents by the abused solvent tolueneAngelo M Del Re
Department of Physiology and Neuroscience, Center for Drug and Alcohol Programs, 173 Ashley Avenue, P O Box 250510, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, SC 29425, USA
Drug Alcohol Depend 78:221-4. 2005..include chemicals with known therapeutic uses such as anesthetic gases as well as volatile organic solvents like toluene that are found in paint thinners and adhesives...
- Pifithrin-alpha attenuates p53-mediated apoptosis and improves cardiac function in response to myocardial ischemia/reperfusion in aged ratsPeitan Liu
Department of Cell Biology, University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey, School of Osteopathic Medicine, 2 Medical Center Drive, Stratford, NJ 08084, U S A
Shock 26:608-14. 2006..The mechanism of protective effect of PFT may involve the inhibition of p53 transcriptional function, thereby attenuating the p53/Bax-mediated myocyte apoptosis during the reperfusion period...
- Medial prefrontal cortex inversely regulates toluene-induced changes in markers of synaptic plasticity of mesolimbic dopamine neuronsJacob T Beckley
Department of Neurosciences, and Center for Drug and Alcohol Programs, Department of Psychiatry, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, South Carolina 29425, USA
J Neurosci 33:804-13. 2013b>Toluene is a volatile solvent that is intentionally inhaled by children, adolescents, and adults for its intoxicating effects...
- Comparative assessments of benzene, toluene, and xylene natural attenuation by quantitative polymerase chain reaction analysis of a catabolic gene, signature metabolites, and compound-specific isotope analysisHarry R Beller
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, Livermore, California, USA
Environ Sci Technol 42:6065-72. 2008..conducted at Vandenberg Air Force Base involved the injection of anaerobic groundwater amended with benzene, toluene, and o-xylene (BToX; 1-3 mg/L each) in two parallel lanes: lane A injectate contained no ethanol, whereas lane B ..
- Role of CD4(+) T cells in the modulation of neurotrophin production in mice exposed to low-level tolueneHidekazu Fujimaki
National Institute for Environmental Studies, Tsukuba, Ibaraki, Japan
Immunopharmacol Immunotoxicol 31:146-9. 2009To investigate the role of CD4(+) T cells in neurotrophin production following toluene exposure, male C3H mice were exposed to filtered air (control) or 9 ppm of toluene in a nose-only exposure chamber for 30 min on 3 consecutive days ..
- Single-voxel proton MR spectroscopy in toluene abuseKubilay Aydin
Department of Radiology, Neuroradiology Division, Istanbul University, Istanbul Medical School, Capa Istanbul, Turkey
Magn Reson Imaging 21:777-85. 2003Inhalation of toluene, which is an organic solvent, causes toxic encephalopathy characterized by cognitive impairment, cerebellar and extra-pyramidal symptoms...
- Depth-resolved quantification of anaerobic toluene degraders and aquifer microbial community patterns in distinct redox zones of a tar oil contaminant plumeChristian Winderl
Institute of Groundwater Ecology, Helmholtz Center Munich, German Research Center for Environmental Health, Ingolstaedter Landstrasse 1, 85764 Neuherberg, Germany
Appl Environ Microbiol 74:792-801. 2008..community distribution across a high-resolution depth profile of a tar oil-impacted aquifer where benzene, toluene, ethylbenzene, and xylene (BTEX) degradation depends mainly on sulfate reduction...
- Site-specific recombination system encoded by toluene catabolic transposon Tn4651Hiroyuki Genka
Department of Environmental Life Sciences, Graduate School of Life Sciences, Tohoku University, 2 1 1 Katahira, Sendai 980 8577, Japan
J Bacteriol 184:4757-66. 2002The 56-kb class II toluene catabolic transposon Tn4651 from Pseudomonas putida plasmid pWW0 is unique in that (i) its efficient resolution requires, in addition to the 0...
- A set of genes encoding a second toluene efflux system in Pseudomonas putida DOT-T1E is linked to the tod genes for toluene metabolismG Mosqueda
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology of Plants, Estacion Experimental del Zaidin, Consejo Superior de Investigaciones Cientificas, E 18008 Granada, Spain
J Bacteriol 182:937-43. 2000Sequence analysis in Pseudomonas putida DOT-T1E revealed a second toluene efflux system for toluene metabolism encoded by the ttgDEF genes, which are adjacent to the tod genes...
- Significant enhancement of (R)-mandelic acid production by relieving substrate inhibition of recombinant nitrilase in toluene-water biphasic systemZhi Jun Zhang
Laboratory of Biocatalysis and Bioprocessing, State Key Laboratory of Bioreactor Engineering, East China University of Science and Technology, Shanghai 200237, China
J Biotechnol 152:24-9. 2011..b>Toluene was found to be the most suitable solvent as the organic phase among the solvents tested...
- Development of a versatile, easy and rapid atmospheric monitor for benzene, toluene, ethylbenzene and xylenes determination in airFrancesc A Esteve-Turrillas
Analytical Chemistry Department, University of Valencia, Edifici Jeroni Muñoz, 50 Dr Moliner, 46100 Burjassot, Valencia, Spain
J Chromatogr A 1216:8549-56. 2009A new procedure for the passive sampling in air of benzene, toluene, ethylbenzene and xylene isomers (BTEX) is proposed...
- Colour vision and occupational toluene exposure: results of repeated examinationsMichael Schäper
Institut fur Arbeitsphysiologie an der Universitat Dortmund, Ardeystr 67, D 44139 Dortmund, Germany
Toxicol Lett 151:193-202. 2004Potential effects of human occupational exposures to toluene on colour vision were investigated in a follow-up study over 4 years with three repeated examinations...
- Biochemical and genetic characterization of benzylsuccinate synthase from Thauera aromatica: a new glycyl radical enzyme catalysing the first step in anaerobic toluene metabolismB Leuthner
Mikrobiologie, , , Germany
Mol Microbiol 28:615-28. 1998b>Toluene is anoxically degraded to CO2 by the denitrifying bacterium Thauera aromatica. The initial reaction in this pathway is the addition of fumarate to the methyl group of toluene, yielding benzylsuccinate as the first intermediate...
- Effects of iron limitation on the degradation of toluene by Pseudomonas strains carrying the tol (pWWO) plasmidI J Dinkla
Department of Biochemistry, Groningen Biomolecular Sciences and Biotechnology Institute, University of Groningen, 9747 AG Groningen, The Netherlands
Appl Environ Microbiol 67:3406-12. 2001..We investigated the effects of iron limitation on the degradation of toluene by Pseudomonas putida mt2 and the transconjugant rhizosphere bacterium P...
- Proteomic analysis reveals the participation of energy- and stress-related proteins in the response of Pseudomonas putida DOT-T1E to tolueneAna Segura
EEZ CSIC, C Prof Albareda, 1, E 18008 Granada, Spain
J Bacteriol 187:5937-45. 2005Pseudomonas putida DOT-T1E is tolerant to toluene and other toxic hydrocarbons through extrusion of the toxic compounds from the cell by means of three efflux pumps, TtgABC, TtgDEF, and TtgGHI...
- Characterization of skin inflammation induced by repeated exposure of toluene, xylene, and formaldehyde in miceAsaka Saito
Laboratory of Pharmacology, Department of Bioactive Molecules, Gifu Pharmaceutical University, Gifu, Japan
Environ Toxicol 26:224-32. 2011..Various concentrations of toluene, xylene, and formaldehyde (FA) were applied once a week for 5 weeks...
- Validity of new biomarkers of internal dose for use in the biological monitoring of occupational and environmental exposure to low concentrations of benzene and toluenePiero Lovreglio
Dipartimento di Medicina Interna e Medicina Pubblica, Sezione di Medicina del Lavoro E C Vigliani, University of Bari, Policlinico, Piazza Giulio Cesare, 11, 70124, Bari, Italy
Int Arch Occup Environ Health 83:341-56. 2010..more sensitive and specific urinary biomarkers of internal dose, namely, urinary benzene for benzene and urinary toluene and S-benzylmercapturic acid (SBMA) for toluene, to assess their efficacy when compared to traditional biomarkers ..
- Effects of inorganic nutrient levels on the biodegradation of benzene, toluene, and xylene (BTX) by Pseudomonas spp. in a laboratory porous media sand aquifer modelJiin Shuh Jean
Department of Earth Sciences, National Cheng Kung University, Tainan City 70101, Taiwan
Bioresour Technol 99:7807-15. 2008..of inorganic nutrients (sulfate, phosphate, and ammonium chloride) on the aerobic biodegradation of benzene, toluene, and xylene (BTX) by Pseudomonas spp. was studied in the laboratory using a glass sand tank...
- Toluene inhibits hippocampal neurogenesis in adult miceHeung Sik Seo
Department of Veterinary Anatomy, College of Veterinary Medicine and Animal Medical Institute, Chonnam National University, Gwangju 500 757, South Korea
Pharmacol Biochem Behav 94:588-94. 2010b>Toluene, a representative industrial solvent and abused inhalant, decreases neuronal activity in vitro and causes mental depression and cognitive impairment in humans...
- Reproductive toxicology and teratology of abused tolueneJohn H Hannigan
Merrill Palmer Skillman Institute, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, C S Mott Center for Human Growth and Development, Wayne State University, Detroit, MI 48202, USA
Syst Biol Reprod Med 56:184-200. 2010b>Toluene is an organic solvent that is widely used by industry and is ubiquitous in our environment. As a result, exposure to solvents like toluene in work-related settings (i.e...
- Nigella sativa and derived thymoquinone prevents hippocampal neurodegeneration after chronic toluene exposure in ratsMehmet Kanter
Department of Histology and Embryology, Faculty of Medicine, Trakya University, Edirne, Turkey
Neurochem Res 33:579-88. 2008..effects of Nigella sativa (NS) and derived thymoquinone (TQ) on neurodegeneration in hippocampus after chronic toluene exposure in rats...
- Volatile organic compounds (VOCs) in urban atmosphere of Hong KongS C Lee
Department of Civil and Structural Engineering, Research Center for Urban Environmental Technology and Management, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University, Hung Hom, Kowloon
Chemosphere 48:375-82. 2002..The concentrations of VOCs ranged from undetectable to 1396 microg/m3. Among all of the VOC species, toluene has the highest concentration...
- Detection of anaerobic toluene and hydrocarbon degraders in contaminated aquifers using benzylsuccinate synthase (bssA) genes as a functional markerChristian Winderl
Institute of Groundwater Ecology, GSF National Research Center for Environment and Health, Neuherberg, Germany
Environ Microbiol 9:1035-46. 2007Benzylsuccinate synthase (Bss) is the key enzyme of anaerobic toluene degradation and has been found in all anaerobic toluene degrading bacterial isolates tested...
- Chemostat-based proteomic analysis of toluene-affected Pseudomonas putida S12Rita J M Volkers
TNO Quality of Life, Laan van Westenenk 501, 7334 DT Apeldoorn, The Netherlands
Environ Microbiol 8:1674-9. 2006The aim of this study was to assess the cellular response of the solvent-tolerant Pseudomonas putida S12 to toluene as the single effector...
- Rapid conversion of toluene by an acinetobacter sp. Tol 5 mutant showing monolayer adsorption to water-oil interfaceHisami Watanabe
Graduate School of Bioscience and Biotechnology, Tokyo Institute of Technology, Yokohama 226 8501, Japan
J Biosci Bioeng 106:226-30. 2008..We achieved a toluene conversion rate 10-fold faster than any experimental data previously demonstrated, using a novel bacterium in a ..
- Melatonin protects the central nervous system of rats against toluene-containing thinner intoxication by reducing reactive gliosisGiyasettin Baydas
Department of Physiology, College of Medicine, Firat University, Elazig 23110, Turkey
Toxicol Lett 137:169-74. 2003..Thinner containing 60-70% toluene is a neurotoxic mixture which is widely used as an aromatic industrial solvent...
- Air quality assessment in Southern Kuwait using diffusive passive samplersA A Ramadan
Coastal and Air Pollution Department, Kuwait Institute for Scientific Research, P O Box 24885, 13109, Safat, Kuwait
Environ Monit Assess 160:413-23. 2010..average concentrations of NO, NO2, SO2, H2S, NH3, and volatile organic compounds (VOCs) (aromatics=benzene, toluene, o-xylene, m+p-xylene, ethyl benzene; non-aromatics=nonane and octane) were carried out in the period from 26/10/..
- Hypothalamo-pituitary-adrenal gland axis in mice inhaling toluene prior to low-level long-term exposure to formaldehydeDwi Kesuma Sari
Laboratory of Veterinary Anatomy, Graduate School of Agriculture and Biological Sciences, Osaka Prefecture University, Sakai, Osaka 599 8531, Japan
J Vet Med Sci 67:303-9. 2005We studied the change in the hypothalamo-pituitary-adrenal gland (HPA) axis upon adding prior toluene inhalation to our previous formaldehyde inhalation experiments to determine whether short term exposure to relatively high levels of ..
- Were volatile organic compounds the inducing factors for subjective symptoms of employees working in newly constructed hospitals?Tomoko Takigawa
Department of Public Health, Okayama University Graduate School of Medicine and Dentistry, 2 5 1 Shikata cho, Okayama 700 8558, Japan
Environ Toxicol 19:280-90. 2004....
- Methanogenic toluene metabolism: community structure and intermediatesS Jane Fowler
Petroleum Microbiology Research Group, Department of Biological Sciences, University of Calgary, Calgary, AB, Canada T2N 1N4
Environ Microbiol 14:754-64. 2012b>Toluene is a model compound used to study the anaerobic biotransformation of aromatic hydrocarbons...
- A field method for sampling toluene in end-exhaled air, as a biomarker of occupational exposure: correlation with other exposure indicesSergio Ghittori
Fondazione S Maugeri, Clinica del Lavoro e della Riabilitazione, IRCCS Istituto Scientifico di Pavia, Via Ferrata 8, 27100 Pavia, Italy
Ind Health 42:226-34. 2004A sensitive and rapid method for the determination of toluene in exhaled air is described...
- Involvement of NO/cGMP pathway in toluene-induced locomotor hyperactivity in female ratsMing Huan Chan
Institute of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Tzu Chi University, 701, Section 3, Chung Yang Road, Hualien, Taiwan, ROC
Psychopharmacology (Berl) 176:435-9. 2004Nitric oxide (NO) is implicated in the acute locomotor activating effects of some addictive drugs such as amphetamine, caffeine, and PCP, but has not been investigated in the case of toluene.
- Reduced hippocampal damage and epileptic seizures after status epilepticus in mice lacking proapoptotic PumaTobias Engel
Department of Physiology and Medical Physics, Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland, 123 St Stephen s Green, Dublin 2, Ireland
FASEB J 24:853-61. 2010..Engel, T., Murphy, B. M., Hatazaki, S., Jimenez-Mateos, E. M., Concannon, C. G., Woods, I., Prehn, J. H. M., Henshall, D. C. Reduced hippocampal damage and epileptic seizures after status epilepticus in mice lacking proapoptotic Puma...
- Determination of benzene, toluene, ethylbenzene and xylenes in soils by multiple headspace solid-phase microextractionOscar Ezquerro
Department of Chemistry, University of La Rioja, C Madre de Dios 51, 26006 Logrono, La Rioja, Spain
J Chromatogr A 1035:17-22. 2004..In this paper, the quantitative determination of benzene, toluene, ethylbenzene and xylene isomers (BTEX) in a certified soil (RTC-CRM304, LGC Promochem) and in a contaminated ..
- CYP2E1 phenotype in Mexican workers occupationally exposed to low levels of tolueneOctavio Jiménez-Garza
Health Sciences Division, Universidad de Guanajuato Campus León, Leon, Guanajuato, Mexico
Toxicol Lett 210:254-63. 2012..One indirect way to monitor exposure to VOCs may be, therefore, the assessment of CYP2E1 activity in vivo using the chlorzoxazone (CHZ) test...
- Fungal/bacterial interactions during the biodegradation of TEX hydrocarbons (toluene, ethylbenzene and p-xylene) in gas biofilters operated under xerophilic conditionsFrancesc X Prenafeta-Boldú
Laboratory of Applied and Environmental Microbiology, IRTA GIRO, Torre Marimon, Caldes de Montbui, Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain
FEMS Microbiol Ecol 80:722-34. 2012The treatment of air contaminated with toluene, ethylbenzene, and p-xylene was assayed in three laboratory-scale biofilters, each consisting of two modules connected in series, packed with a pelletized organic fertilizer and inoculated ..
- Chronic toluene misuse among Roma youth in Eastern SlovakiaPeter Važan
National Development and Research Institutes, New York, USA
Subst Use Misuse 46:57-61. 2011This report presents pilot data on toluene misuse among Roma (Gypsy) youth in eastern Slovakia...
- Repeated toluene exposure modifies the acetylation pattern of histones H3 and H4 in the rat brainS L Sánchez-Serrano
Departamento de Farmacobiologia, Centro de Investigación y de Estudios Avanzados Cinvestav, Calzada de los Tenorios 235, Col Granjas Coapa, CP 14330, Mexico D F, Mexico
Neurosci Lett 489:142-7. 2011b>Toluene is a volatile organic solvent with addictive potential that exhibits similarities in its physiological effects and modes of action to other addictive drugs...
- Effects of maternal toluene exposure on testosterone levels in fetal ratsShinji Tsukahara
Research Center for Environmental Risk, National Institute for Environmental Studies, Onogawa 16 2, Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305 8506, Japan
Toxicol Lett 185:79-84. 2009The goal of our study was to determine if toluene affected the synthesis and secretion of testosterone in fetal rats. Dams were exposed to atmospheres that contained 0.09 ppm, 0...
- Simultaneous catabolite repression between glucose and toluene metabolism in Pseudomonas putida is channeled through different signaling pathwaysTeresa del Castillo
EEZ CSIC, C Prof Albareda, 1, E 18008 Granada, Spain
J Bacteriol 189:6602-10. 2007Pseudomonas putida KT2440(pWW0) can use toluene via the TOL plasmid-encoded catabolic pathways and can use glucose via a series of three peripheral chromosome-encoded routes that convert glucose into 6-phosphogluconate (6PG), namely, the ..
- Effects of adsorptive properties of biofilter packing materials on toluene removalDong Ik Oh
Korea Environmental Industry and Technology Institute, Seoul, Republic of Korea
J Hazard Mater 170:144-50. 2009..carbon (GAC) and ground tire rubber (GTR), were mixed with compost in biofilters used for treating gaseous toluene, and the effects of the mixtures on the stability of biofilter performance were investigated...
- Control of optically active structure of thioether-phthalocyanine aggregates by chiral Pd(II)-BINAP complexes in toluene and at the toluene/water interfaceKenta Adachi
Department of Chemistry, Graduate School of Science, Osaka University, Toyonaka, Osaka, Japan
Chirality 18:599-608. 2006..phthalocyanatomagnesium(II) compounds (MgPc(SR)8, SR is benzylthio (SBz) or benzhydrylthio (Bh)) was formed in toluene and at the toluene/water interface, and investigated by means of UV-Vis absorption and circular dichroism (CD) ..
- Pifithrin-alpha protects against DNA damage-induced apoptosis downstream of mitochondria independent of p53D Sohn
Laboratory of Molecular Radiooncology, Clinic and Policlinic for Radiation Therapy and Radiooncology, University of Dusseldorf, Dusseldorf, Germany
Cell Death Differ 16:869-78. 2009..Thus, our data show that PFT-alpha protects cells from DNA damage-induced apoptosis also by a p53-independent mechanism that takes place downstream of mitochondria and that might involve cyclin D1...
- Multiple actions of pifithrin-alpha on doxorubicin-induced apoptosis in rat myoblastic H9c2 cellsChu Chang Chua
Cardiovascular Research Laboratory, James H Quillen College of Medicine, East Tennessee State University, Johnson City, TN 37614, USA
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 290:H2606-13. 2006..Our results suggest that p53 stabilization is a focal point of Dox-induced apoptosis and that PFT-alpha interferes with multiple steps of Dox-induced apoptosis...
- Removal of toluene vapour using agro-waste as biofilter mediaR S Singh
Department of Chemical Engineering and Technology, Centre of Advanced Study, Institute of Technology, Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi, India
Bioresour Technol 97:2296-301. 2006Biodegradation of toluene vapour was investigated in a laboratory scale biofilter packed with cylindrical pieces of yellow-gram (Cajanus cajan) stalk. Inlet concentrations and volumetric flow rates of toluene were varied from 2.56 to 34...
- DNA-SIP identifies sulfate-reducing Clostridia as important toluene degraders in tar-oil-contaminated aquifer sedimentChristian Winderl
Institute of Groundwater Ecology, Helmholtz Zentrum München German Research Centre for Environmental Health, Neuherberg, Germany
ISME J 4:1314-25. 2010..Here, by DNA-based stable isotope probing (SIP), we directly identified the most active sulfate-reducing toluene degraders in a diverse sedimentary microbial community originating from a tar-oil-contaminated aquifer at a ..
- Effect of D-cycloserine on spatial learning performance and memory function-related gene expression in mice following toluene exposureTin Tin Win-Shwe
Research Center for Environmental Risk, National Institute for Environmental Studies, 16 2 Onogawa, Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305 8506, Japan
J UOEH 32:127-40. 2010..To investigate the effect of DCS in cognitive function following toluene exposure, eight-week-old male C3H/HeN mice were exposed to filtered air (0 ppm) or 50 ppm toluene for 6 h a day ..
- Indoor and outdoor air concentrations of BTEX and determinants in a cohort of one-year old children in Valencia, SpainAna Esplugues
Spanish Consortium for Research on Epidemiology and Public Health CIBERESP, Parc de Recerca Biomedica de Barcelona, Doctor Aiguader, 88 1ª Planta, 8003 Barcelona, Spain
Sci Total Environ 409:63-9. 2010BTEX is the commonly used term for a group of toxic compounds (benzene, toluene, ethyl benzene, ortho-xylene and meta- and para-xylene), some of which, most notably benzene, are known carcinogens...
- Production of 6-phenylacetylene picolinic acid from diphenylacetylene by a toluene-degrading Acinetobacter strainJim C Spain
Air Force Research Laboratory MLQL, 139 Barnes Drive, Ste 2, Tyndall Air Force Base, FL 32403 6090, USA
Appl Environ Microbiol 69:4037-42. 2003..We screened 139 toluene-degrading strains that use a variety of catabolic pathways for the ability to catalyze oxidative transformation ..
- Outer membrane changes in a toluene-sensitive mutant of toluene-tolerant Pseudomonas putida IH-2000H Kobayashi
Deep Sea Microorganisms Research Group, Japan Marine Science and Technology Center, Yokosuka 237 0061, Japan
J Bacteriol 181:4493-8. 1999We isolated a toluene-sensitive mutant, named mutant No. 32, which showed unchanged antibiotic resistance levels, from toluene-tolerant Pseudomonas putida IH-2000 by transposon mutagenesis with Tn5...
- Combined participation of hydroxylase active site residues and effector protein binding in a para to ortho modulation of toluene 4-monooxygenase regiospecificityKevin H Mitchell
Department of Biochemistry, College of Agricultural and Life Sciences, University of Wisconsin, Madison, Wisconsin 53706 1544, USA
Biochemistry 41:3176-88. 2002b>Toluene 4-monooxygenase (T4MO) is a diiron hydroxylase that exhibits high regiospecificity for para hydroxylation...
- Toluene-induced hearing loss: a mid-frequency location of the cochlear lesionsP Campo
Institut National de Recherche et de Sécurité I N R S, Vandoeuvre, France
Neurotoxicol Teratol 19:129-40. 1997Inhaled toluene (from 1000 to 2000 ppm, 6 h/day, 5 days/week, 4 weeks) is anototoxic solvent that severely damaged the cochlea in adult Long-Evans rats...
- Phospholipid compositional changes of five pseudomonad archetypes grown with and without tolueneJ Fang
Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, The University of Michigan, Ann Arbor 48109 2099, USA
Appl Microbiol Biotechnol 54:382-9. 2000Bacterial physiological responses to toluene exposure were investigated in five reference pseudomonad strains that express different toluene degradation pathways: Pseudomonas putida mt-2, Pseudomonas putida F1, Burkholderia cepacia G4, ..
- Bacterial community structure and bamA gene diversity in anaerobic degradation of toluene and benzoate under denitrifying conditionsY N Li
School of Environmental Science and Technology, Tianjin University, Nankai District, Tianjin, China
J Appl Microbiol 112:269-79. 2012To characterize the microbial community structure and bamA gene diversity involved in anaerobic degradation of toluene and benzoate under denitrifying conditions.
- The abused inhalant toluene differentially modulates excitatory and inhibitory synaptic transmission in deep-layer neurons of the medial prefrontal cortexJacob T Beckley
Department of Neurosciences, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, SC 29425, USA
Neuropsychopharmacology 36:1531-42. 2011Volatile organic solvents such as toluene are voluntarily inhaled for their intoxicating effects...
- Breakthrough of toluene vapours in granular activated carbon filled packed bed reactorN Mohan
Defence Bio Engineering and Electro Medical Laboratory, Defence R and D Organisation, CVRaman Nagar, Bangalore, India
J Hazard Mater 168:777-81. 2009The objective of this research was to determine the toluene removal efficiency and breakthrough time using commercially available coconut shell-based granular activated carbon in packed bed reactor...
- Remarkable aliphatic hydroxylation by the diiron enzyme toluene 4-monooxygenase in reactions with radical or cation diagnostic probes norcarane, 1,1-dimethylcyclopropane, and 1,1-diethylcyclopropaneLuke A Moe
Department of Biochemistry, College of Agricultural and Life Sciences, University of Wisconsin, Madison, Wisconsin 53706 1544, USA
Biochemistry 43:15688-701. 2004b>Toluene 4-monooxygenase (T4MO) catalyzes the hydroxylation of toluene to yield 96% p-cresol. This diiron enzyme complex was used to oxidize norcarane (bicyclo[4.1...
- Effects of inhalation exposure to a binary mixture of benzene and toluene on vitamin a status and humoral and cell-mediated immunity in wild and captive American kestrelsMandy L Olsgard
Toxicology Centre, Western College of Veterinary Medicine, University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada
J Toxicol Environ Health A 71:1100-8. 2008Benzene and toluene are representative volatile organic compounds (VOC) released during production, storage, and transportation associated with the oil and gas industry and are chemicals of concern, as they are released in greater and ..
- Catalytic activity of lignin peroxidase and partition of veratryl alcohol in AOT/isooctane/toluene/water reverse micellesWenjuan Zhang
Key Lab for Colloid and Interface Chemistry of the Education Ministry of China, Shandong University, Jinan, 250100, People s Republic of China
Appl Microbiol Biotechnol 70:315-20. 2006..of its optimum substrate veratryl alcohol (VA) in sodium bis(2-ethylhexyl)sulfosuccinate (AOT)/isooctane/toluene/water reverse micelles were studied in this paper to understand the microheterogeneous effect of the medium on ..
- Neurochemical changes after acute binge toluene inhalation in adolescent and adult rats: a high-resolution magnetic resonance spectroscopy studyShonagh K O'Leary-Moore
Department of Psychology, Wayne State University, Detroit, MI 48201, USA
Neurotoxicol Teratol 31:382-9. 2009Inhalant abuse in young people is a growing public health concern. We reported previously that acute toluene intoxication in young rats, using a pattern of exposures that approximate abuse patterns of inhalant use in humans, ..
- Toluene monooxygenase from the fungus Cladosporium sphaerospermumDion M A M Luykx
Division of Industrial Microbiology, Wageningen University, PO Box 8129, 6700 EV Wageningen, The Netherlands
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 312:373-9. 2003Assimilation of toluene by Cladosporium sphaerospermum is initially catalyzed by toluene monooxygenase (TOMO). TOMO activity was induced by adding toluene to a glucose-pregrown culture of C. sphaerospermum...
- Phylogenetic and proteomic analysis of an anaerobic toluene-degrading communityN Jehmlich
Helmholtz Centre for Environmental Research UFZ, Department of Proteomics, Leipzig, Germany
J Appl Microbiol 109:1937-45. 2010This study intended to unravel the physiological interplay in an anaerobic microbial community that degrades toluene under sulfate-reducing conditions combining proteomic and genetic techniques.
- Review of the epidemiological evidence relating toluene to reproductive outcomesJ A Bukowski
Occupational and Public Health Division, ExxonMobil Biomedical Sciences, Inc, 1545 Route 22 East, Annandale, NJ 08801-0971, USA
Regul Toxicol Pharmacol 33:147-56. 2001..the epidemiological evidence for adverse reproductive outcomes from those occupational studies that present toluene-specific findings. Clinical investigations of the reproductive effects of toluene abuse are also examined...
- The effects of toluene on the central nervous systemChristopher M Filley
Department of Neurology, University of Colorado School of Medicine, Denver, Colorado 80262, USA
J Neuropathol Exp Neurol 63:1-12. 2004In recent decades the organic solvent toluene (methylbenzene) has emerged as one of the best-studied neurotoxins...
- A nanopore structured high performance toluene gas sensor made by nanoimprinting methodKwang Su Kim
Department of Nano Science and Engineering, Myongji University, Gyeonggi 449 728, Korea
Sensors (Basel) 10:765-74. 2010b>Toluene gas was successfully measured at room temperature using a device microfabricated by a nanoimprinting method...
- Analytical characteristics of the determination of benzene, toluene, ethylbenzene and xylenes in water by headspace solvent microextractionAndrzej Przyjazny
Kettering University, Science and Mathematics Department, 1700 West Third Avenue, Flint, MI 48504, USA
J Chromatogr A 977:143-53. 2002..This paper presents analytical characteristics of HSM as applied to the determination of benzene, toluene, ethylbenzene and xylenes in water.
- Cranial MR findings in chronic toluene abuse by inhalationKubilay Aydin
Department of Radiology, Istanbul University Medical School, Capa Hospital, Turkey
AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 23:1173-9. 2002Chronic abuse of toluene by inhalation causes variable white matter changes and thalamic hypointensity on T2-weighted MR images...
- Use of biological activated carbon to treat mixed gas of toluene and benzene in biofilterG W Li
ESPC, Department of Environment Science and Engineering, Tsinghua University, Beijing, China
Environ Technol 23:467-77. 2002The biodegradation of toluene and benzene in a biofilter filled with cylindrical activated carbon was studied. Three various gaseous flow rates, i.e. 0.25, 0.50 and 0.75 m3 h(-1), corresponding to empty bed gas residences of 75, 37...
- Headspace microdrop analysis--an alternative test method for gasoline diluent and benzene, toluene, ethylbenzene and xylenes in used engine oilsJohn M Kokosa
Science and Mathematics Department, Kettering University, 1700 West Third Avenue, Flint, MI 48504 4898, USA
J Chromatogr A 983:205-14. 2003..analysis yields results comparable to those obtained using the ASTM method, with the added benefit that it allows the quantification of individual volatile diluent components, including benzene, toluene, ethylbenzene and the xylenes.
- Assessment through environmental and biological measurements of total daily exposure to volatile organic compounds of office workers in Milan, ItalyP Carrer
Department of Occupational Health, Istituti Clinici di Perfezionamento, Milan, Italy
Indoor Air 10:258-68. 2000Personal exposure to total volatile organic compounds (TVOCs), benzene and toluene of 100 Milan office workers was assessed through personal air monitoring at home, in the office, and during commuting...
- Bacterial aerobic degradation of benzene, toluene, ethylbenzene and xyleneE Jindrova
Institute of Microbiology, Academy of Sciences of the Czech Republic, Institute of Chemical Technology, Prague, Czechia
Folia Microbiol (Praha) 47:83-93. 2002Several aerobic metabolic pathways for the degradation of benzene, toluene, ethylbenzene and xylene (BTEX), which are provided by two enzymic systems (dioxygenases and monooxygenases), have been identified...
- Distribution of c-Fos immunoreactivity in the rat brain following abuse-like toluene vapor inhalationKristina E Perit
Department of Psychology, Wilfrid Laurier University, Waterloo, Ontario, Canada, N2L 3C5
Neurotoxicol Teratol 34:37-46. 2012Inhalation of vapors from toluene-containing products results in euphoria accompanied by a variety of cognitive impairments and motor dysfunctions...
- Addressing biofilter limitations: a two-phase partitioning bioreactor process for the treatment of benzene and toluene contaminated gas streamsColin T Davidson
Department of Chemical Engineering, Queen s University, Kingston, Ontario K7L 3N6, Canada
Biodegradation 14:415-21. 2003..partitioning bioreactor (TPPB) achieved simultaneous and continuous removal and degradation of benzene and toluene from an air stream...
- Determination of volatile organic compounds in biological samples using headspace solid-phase microextraction and gas chromatography: toluene and styreneRadhika Barua
Department of Clinical and Laboratory Sciences, SUNY at Buffalo, Buffalo, New York, USA
J Anal Toxicol 32:379-86. 2008Epidemiological and laboratory investigations have shown that toluene and styrene are toxic compounds that lead to impairment of the nervous system...
- Effects of abuse pattern of gestational toluene exposure on metabolism, feeding and body compositionPatricia A Jarosz
College of Nursing, Wayne State University, Detroit, MI 48202, USA
Physiol Behav 93:984-93. 2008..These studies explored the effects of brief, repeated, prenatal toluene exposures in pregnant female rats on body weight, metabolic rate, body composition, and food intake in their ..
- Removal of BTEX vapours from waste gas streams using silica aerogels of different hydrophobicitySuzana Standeker
Faculty of Chemistry and Chemical Engineering, University of Maribor, Maribor, Slovenia
J Hazard Mater 165:1114-8. 2009..The degree of hydrophobicity of the aerogels was tested by measuring the contact angle (theta) of a water droplet with the aerogel surface. The aerogels were also characterised by FTIR, nitrogen sorption and DSC/TG measurements...
- Adsorption of BTEX from aqueous solution by macroreticular resinsS H Lin
Department of Chemical Engineering, Yuan Ze University, Neili, Taoyuan 320, Taiwan
J Hazard Mater 70:21-37. 1999Theoretical and experimental investigations were conducted on the adsorption of benzene, toluene, ethylbenzene and xylene (BTEX) by macroreticular resins...
- Nonheme Diiron Centers and the Biological Oxidation of HydrocarbonsStephen J Lippard; Fiscal Year: 2013..Studies of both native and genetically modified systems, including soluble methane monooxygenase (sMMO), toluene/o-xylene monooxygenase (ToMO), and alkene monooxygenase (AMO), will enable us to elucidate the carefully ..
- Neural Actions of TolueneJohn J Woodward; Fiscal Year: 2013..In this application, we focus on the role that these channels play in mediating the effects of toluene, the prototype abused inhalant, on the activity of principal neurons within three brain regions known to be ..
- Liquid Crystal-Based End-of-Service-Life-Indicator for Toluene VaporBHARAT R ACHARYA; Fiscal Year: 2011..g., ammonia), there are no commercial ESLIs available for organic vapors such as toluene. In the absence of ESLIs for organic vapors, NIOSH requires manufacturers to develop (and users to adopt) complex ..
- Understanding aromatic hydrocarbon uptake as the first step in biodegradationBert van den Berg; Fiscal Year: 2013..4. To determine which proteins are important during toluene biodegradation by PpF1...
- Neuroplasticity Associated with Acute Toluene InhalationJACOB THOMAS BECKLEY; Fiscal Year: 2013..b>Toluene, a prototypical abused inhalant, inhibits NMDA mediated currents and has an excitatory effect on GABA synaptic ..
- NMR SPECTROSCOPY OF IRON-SULFUR PROTEINSJohn L Markley; Fiscal Year: 2010..transfer in three model biological systems (rubredoxin:FNR, stearoyl-acyl carrier protein desaturase, and toluene monooxygenase system);(3) to determine mechanisms of chaperone-assisted iron-sulfur cluster assembly in ..
- Imaging the causes and consequences of adolescent inhalant abuseWynne K Schiffer; Fiscal Year: 2013..We expect that brain regions where toluene accumulates will be selectively damaged, and that upon cessation from toluene, adolescents will recover function ..
- High-Spin Iron(IV)-oxo Complexes-True Mimics of Enzymatic Non-Heme IronAIDAN RICHARD MCDONALD; Fiscal Year: 2010..g. cyclohexane, toluene, and even methane) will give us a better understanding of the very complex reaction profiles these enzymes ..
- Bio-monitoring Methylene Diphenyl Diisocyanate (MDI) exposure and body burdenADAM WISNEWSKI; Fiscal Year: 2010..Three major types of isocyanate are used commercially, methylene-diphenyl diisocyanate (MDI) and toluene diisocyanate (TDI), or aliphatic, hexamethylene diisocyanate (HDI)...
- Neurotoxic effects of solvents on working childrenIman A Nuwayhid; Fiscal Year: 2011..A cohort of 100 male children (10-17 years) working in mechanics (exposed mainly to Methyl Ethyl Ketone and Toluene) and 100 male non-exposed working children will be recruited from a poor neighborhood in north Lebanon, in ..
- Reducing Chemical Exposures in Nail Salons Using an Owner-to-Worker InterventionTHU THUY QUACH; Fiscal Year: 2010..g., total hydrocarbons, toluene, formaldehyde and methyl methacrylate) in workers;and d) reducing work-related health problems...
- Bio-monitoring Methylene Diphenyl Diisocyanate (MDI) exposure and body burdenADAM WISNEWSKI; Fiscal Year: 2012..Three major types of isocyanate are used commercially, methylene-diphenyl diisocyanate (MDI) and toluene diisocyanate (TDI), or aliphatic, hexamethylene diisocyanate (HDI)...
- Discriminative stimulus effects of abused inhalantsKeith L Shelton; Fiscal Year: 2013..In Aim 1 we will train groups of mice to discriminate one of four different inhalants from air: toluene, 1,1,1-trichlroethane (TCE), isoflurane or nitrous oxide...
- Novel Nanofiltration Membranes for Isolation of Pharmaceutical CompoundsNing Shangguan; Fiscal Year: 2011..Similarly, toluene or hexane will be used as a model solvent to test organophilic NF membranes...
- Novel Nanofiltration Membranes for Isolation of Pharmaceutical CompoundsNing Shangguan; Fiscal Year: 2012..Similarly, toluene or hexane will be used as a model solvent to test organophilic NF membranes...
- Multiple Myeloma Consortium Study of Occupational Exposures and Family HistoryAnneclaire J De Roos; Fiscal Year: 2013..to five specific solvents of particular interest: trichloroethylene (TCE), perchloroethylene (PCE), benzene, toluene, and xylene...
- Reducing Workplace Chemical Exposures in Nail Salon Workers using an Owner-to-WorTHU THUY QUACH; Fiscal Year: 2013..g., toluene, formaldehyde, methyl methacrylate and total volatile organic compounds) in workers; b)influencing the secondary ..
- Continued Development of Photoelectrocatalytic Oxidation for Treating Gasoline CoTERENCE PATRICK BARRY; Fiscal Year: 2012..are of particular concern: (1) aromatic hydrocarbons, particularly the BTEX chemicals benzene, ethyl benzene, toluene, and three isomers of xylene, and (2) fuel oxygenates, particularly methyl tert-butyl ether (MTBE)...
- A Wearable Wireless System for Real-Time Monitoring of Chemical ToxicantsNongjian Tao; Fiscal Year: 2010..two particularly exciting new opportunities: 1 )development of a new hybrid detection method for Benzene, Toluene, Ethylbenzene and Xylenes (BTEX) that can provide unparalleled performance for determining personal exposure ..
- Understanding hydrogen atom transfer reactions in enzymesE NEIL MARSH; Fiscal Year: 2013..Benzylsuccinate synthase is a glycyl-radical enzyme in which hydrogen transfer from toluene to an active site cysteine is a key mechanistic feature...
- Electronic Structure and Reactions of Fe-oxo EnzymesLouis Noodleman; Fiscal Year: 2010..The specific enzymes of interest are Class I ribonucleotide reductases (RNRs) methane monooxygenases (MMOs), toluene monoxygenases (Tolos) and Rieske oxygenases...
- Mechanistic Investigations of Gold-Catalyzed C-H Activation of ArenesDavid A Nagib; Fiscal Year: 2013..that of other transition metals, as it can be accessed directly via para C-H activation to simple arenes such as toluene, potentially providing access to diverse para- substituted arene products...
- CYTOCHROME P450 SUBSTRATE SITING AND MOTIONAnn McDermott; Fiscal Year: 2002..We propose to characterize substrate motion for additional substrates (camphor, benzene, toluene, xylene, nicotine and warfarin), and an additional stable intermediate of the enzymatic cycle...
- Acute and Chronic Effects of Inhalants in ICSSMATTHEW ED TRACY; Fiscal Year: 2013..basic behavioral procedures for assessing abuse-related effects of two prototypic inhalants in these procedures: toluene and nitrous oxide. Our first goal will be to examine the acute rewarding effects of these inhalants...
- A novel desorption technique for improved sensitivity in sampling for gasesCLAUDIU T LUNGU; Fiscal Year: 2013..We will use the irradiation scenario that yields the highest temperature increase, load the substrates with toluene vapors and determine the amount of desorbed toluene for each irradiation/substrate/loading combination...
- DRUG SELF-ADMINISTRATION BY INHALATION IN THE PRIMATERonald Wood; Fiscal Year: 1991..behaviors are more sensitive than unconditioned behavior, and m-xylene is more potent than the less lipophilic toluene. In the mouse, however, the solvents are qualitatively different, and the order of potency reversed; m-xylene is ..
- Dense Medium Plasma Remediation of VOCs in GroundwaterYonghui Ma; Fiscal Year: 2007..demonstrated that the DMP reactor, prior to any optimization, was able to reduce VOC concentrations of benzene, toluene, ethyl benzene, and xylene (all) below the detectable range (from ppm to ppb) and bacteria contamination levels ..
- Extreme Ammonia Tolerance Mechanisms: A Model VertebratePatrick Walsh; Fiscal Year: 2004..In particular, liver damage due to exposure to toxicants such as carbon tetrachloride, toluene, DDT, heptachlor, etc...
- TOXICOLOGICAL SIGNIFICANCE OF ALKYLBENZENE METABOLISMWayne Backes; Fiscal Year: 1992..The compounds to ,e examined in this proposal, toluene, the xylenes, ethylbenzene and n-propylbenzene are major components of gasoline comprising up to 40% of the ..
- O2 ACTIVATION BY MOSSBAUER SPECTROSCOPYEckard Munck; Fiscal Year: 2002..1) Studies of the diiron proteins methane monooxygenase, ribonucleotide reductase, delta9 desaturase, toluene monooxygenase, phenol hydroxylase and alkane hydroxylase will be continued with particular focus on ..
- Molecular Characterization of Aquifer Microbial Communi*Kate Scow; Fiscal Year: 2004..Superfund chemicals, toluene, benzene and xylene, along with fuel oxygenates, comprise mixed contaminants associated with petroleum pollution...
- A Photoelectrocatalytic Device for Removing MTBE from WaterTerence Barry; Fiscal Year: 2009..Two contaminate classes are of particular concern: (1) BTEX fuel additives consisting of benzene, ethyl benzene, toluene, and three isomers of xylene, and (2) fuel oxygenates, particularly methyl tert-butyl ether (MTBE)...
- Dermatopharmacokinetics: In Vivo Analysis of SolventsKarla Thrall; Fiscal Year: 2005..The first part of this study demonstrated that the dermal absorption of toluene in an aqueous matrix was substantially less than previous estimates, and that aqueous methyl ethyl ketone was ..
- BEHAVIORAL PHARMACOLOGY OF ABUSED SOLVENTSRobert Balster; Fiscal Year: 1992..those classes which appear to produce qualitatively different effects from the depressant-like inhalants such as toluene and trichloroethane. This will include further research with the abused volatile nitrites...
- MECHANISMS OF ORGANIC SOLVENT OTOTOXICITYLaurence Fechter; Fiscal Year: 2001..One pattern, produced by toluene, involves impairment of outer hair cells that normally encode middle frequency tones and which are located in the ..
- Feto-Maternal Pharmacokinetics of Abused InhalantsSTEPHEN DEWEY; Fiscal Year: 2004Striking phenotypic similarities have been noted between infants exposed to toluene in utero and infants diagnosed with fetal alcohol syndrome...
- MECHANISMS OF ENZYMATIC OXYGEN FIXATIONDavid Gibson; Fiscal Year: 2003..The genes encoding the enantiospecific toluene and naphthalene dihydrodiol dehydrogenases will be used to construct recombinant strains of Escherichia coli that ..
- How do Enzymes Generate and Control Free Radicals?E Marsh; Fiscal Year: 2007..discovered glycyl radical enzyme, benzylsuccinate synthase, which is involved in the anaerobic degradation of toluene by various bacteria...
- CHARACTERIZING PSYCHOACTIVE EFFECTS OF INHALANTSJames Zacny; Fiscal Year: 2004..g., toluene and trichloroethane, which are contained in various commercial products including adhesives, aerosol sprays, and ..
- ANIMAL MODELS OF ASTHMA AND OCCUPATIONAL LUNG DISEASERoy Patterson; Fiscal Year: 1991..6. To develop a monkey model of toluene diisocyanate (TDI) asthma based on our human clinical experience in man and our experience with a canine model of ..
- BEHAVIORAL PHARMACOLOGY OF ABUSED SOLVENTSRobert Balster; Fiscal Year: 2002..b>Toluene, trichloroethane (TCE), methoxyflurane, flurothyl and isoamyl nitrite will be evaluated in these new procedures...
- BIOANALYSIS USING COATED CRYSTAL ATR/FTIR METHODSSTERLING TOMELLINI; Fiscal Year: 1992..The test analytes initially chosen will include: nitrobenzene, acetophenone, acetonitrile, toluene, carbon tetrachloride, caffeine, acetylsalicylic acid and acetaminophen...
- Detection of Ethanol in Human Breath: Mini-GC Use and Exhaled Breath CondensateRichard Melker; Fiscal Year: 2007..g., acetone, methanol, toluene) that may interfere with alternative technologies used to detect ethanol in breath...
- RESPIRATORY TRACT IRRITANTS; MECHANISMS AND TOLERANCEYves Alarie; Fiscal Year: 1980..the potency of airborne sensory irritants (gases or aerosols) is used to evaluate the cumulative effects of toluene diisocyanate and a variety of di- or monoisocyanates to elucidate the mechanism of such cumulative effects...
- TOXICOKINETICS OF ETHYL TERTIARY-BUTYL ETHERCrispin Pierce; Fiscal Year: 1999..toxicokinetic (PBTK) modeling approach developed previously uses stable isotope tracers for styrene, toluene and xylene exposures, administered to male volunteers via inhalation...
- MECHANISMS OF HEPATOTOXICITY BY ENVIRONMENTAL POLLUTANTSRonald Thurman; Fiscal Year: 1991..studies will then be applied to other hepatotoxins including pesticides, vinyl chloride, styrene, benzene and toluene. Knowledge of metabolic factors involved in mechanisms of hepatotoxicity in intact cells may ultimately be ..
- DNA METHYLATION EFFECTS ON MAMMALIAN DEVELOPMENTStacy Branch; Fiscal Year: 2002..This body of data includes the suggestions that compounds such as toluene and methyl parathion are associated with the induction of limb defects...
- ELECTRON PARAMAGNETIC RESONANCE SPECTROMETERKurt Warncke; Fiscal Year: 2003..in combination with Mossbauer spectroscopy, (c) the mechanism of biotransformation of aromatic hydrocarbons by toluene monooxygenases, by examining metal site structure in single crystals in combination with protein X-ray ..
- Novel Multiple-Component X-C/C-C Formation ReactionsGuigen Li; Fiscal Year: 2003..Besides the asymmetric catalysis, chiral p-toluene and tert-butanesulfinimines will also be utilized as the chiral auxiliaries and electrophiles for the novel X-C/C-..
- Enzyme Catalysis of Toluene Degradation and Unusual DNA Photoproduct RepairLei Li; Fiscal Year: 2009..BSS, found in bacteria like T. Aromatica, converts toluene to benzylsuccinate by a mechanism involving protein-based glycyl radical to initiate the toluene anaerobic ..
- Toluene as a Gateway Drug: Role of Dopamine SystemsJEFFERY STEKETEE; Fiscal Year: 2004..The long-term consequences ensuing from the abuse of inhalants, including toluene have received relatively little attention in the drug abuse field...
- DERMAL ABSORPTION OF CHEMICALS FROM LIQUID MIXTURESAnnette Bunge; Fiscal Year: 2006..i) examine experimentally the extent to which several test solutes in water and in four non-aqueous solutions (toluene, n-octanol, n-octane and a selected chlorinated hydrocarbon) interact with each other or skin to alter the rate [..
- NEUROLOGICAL SEQUELAE:CHRONIC TOLUENE INHALATION ABUSENeil Rosenberg; Fiscal Year: 1991..Inhalation of toluene-based products, such as spray paint or glue, is popular with solvent sniffers because of euphoric effects and ..
- Low Cost Multilayer Sensors for Breath Alcohol AnalysisStephanie Hooker; Fiscal Year: 2000..To overcome cross-sensitivity to other gases that may be present in the breath (e.g., water vapor, acetone, toluene, and acetaldehyde), a sensor array will ultimately be prepared in Phase II...
- Abused inhalants and Drosphila K+ channel transcriptionNigel Atkinson; Fiscal Year: 2003..Furthermore, the acutely-resistant animals show cross-resistance to the abused solvent toluene. Concomitant with recovery we have observed that mANA from the slowpoke Ca2+-activated K+ channel gene increases ..
- ENVIRONMENTAL AGENTS EFFECT ON LUNG CILIARY DEFENSEAnnette Hastie; Fiscal Year: 1990..The focus of this proposal is the effects of formaldehyde (HCHO) and toluene diisocyanate (TDI) on ciliary function...
- Effects of Abused Inhalants on VTA neuronsS V Jones; Fiscal Year: 2004..grant proposal is to determine the actions of inhaled substances of abuse (inhalants) such as toluene on ventral tegmental area (VTA) dopaminergic neurons, part of the mesoaccumbens dopaminergic system...
- MECHANISMS RESPONSIBLE FOR DISEASE SEVERITY IN ASTHMAStuart Brooks; Fiscal Year: 1980..Occupational asthma due to toluene diisocyanate (TDI) seems to provide a good model for studying beta receptor function since in vitro studies with ..
- Miniature Sensor Platform for Detecting Toxic GasesCLAYTON KOSTELECKY; Fiscal Year: 2002..Two demonstration gases will be characterized during Phase I, namely toluene and methanol...
- PET Investigations of Abused InhalantsSTEPHEN DEWEY; Fiscal Year: 2004..Moreover, recent PET studies in our laboratory using carbon-11 labeled toluene (the most widely abused inhalant) support the value of this approach to advance our understanding of the ..
- AIR DISPERSION OF CHEMICALS IN INDUSTRIAL FACILITIESSTEPHEN ZEMBA; Fiscal Year: 1992..The model will be tested using industrial data for toluene diisocyanate and nitrogen dioxide, produced in polyurethane and steel cutting industries...
- 9th International Neurotoxicology Assoc (INA9) MeetingMichael Aschner; Fiscal Year: 2003..neurotoxicity of polybrominated biphenylethers in development and adulthood; neurotoxic mechanisms and effects of toluene exposure; neurological diseases and consumption of plants; role of diet and nutrition in neurotoxicology; ..
- INHALANT ABUSE DURING GESTATIONSander Stern; Fiscal Year: 1999..b>Toluene will be used in these initial studies since it is found in many of the mixtures abused via inhalation...