- What are the sources of exposure to eight frequently used phthalic acid esters in Europeans?
Institute for Chemical and Bioengineering, ETH Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland
Risk Anal 26:803-24. 2006
Phthalic acid esters (phthalates) are used as plasticizers in numerous consumer products, commodities, and building materials...
- Distribution of phthalate esters in urban soils of subtropical city, Guangzhou, China
School of Chemistry and Chemical Engineering, Sun Yat Sen University, Guangdong, Guangzhou, China
J Hazard Mater 164:1171-8. 2009
..areas (RE) of the Subtropical City, Guangzhou, were collected in December of 2005 and analyzed for 16 phthalate esters (PAEs)...
- Phthalate esters (PAEs): emerging organic contaminants in agricultural soils in peri-urban areas around Guangzhou, China
School of Chemistry and Chemical Engineering, Sun Yat Sen University, Guangdong, Guangzhou 51027, China
Environ Pollut 156:425-34. 2008
This study reports the first data on the concentrations and distribution of phthalate esters (PAEs) in the agricultural soils from the peri-urban areas of Guangzhou city. Sigma(16)PAEs concentrations ranged from 0.195 to 33...
- A novel bifunctional wax ester synthase/acyl-CoA:diacylglycerol acyltransferase mediates wax ester and triacylglycerol biosynthesis in Acinetobacter calcoaceticus ADP1
Institut fur Mikrobiologie, Westfalische Wilhelms Universitat Munster, Corrensstr 3, Germany
J Biol Chem 278:8075-82. 2003
Triacylglycerols (TAGs) and wax esters are neutral lipids with considerable importance for dietetic, technical, cosmetic, and pharmaceutical applications...
- Lipid particles/droplets of the yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae revisited: lipidome meets proteome
Austrian Centre of Industrial Biotechnology, Graz University of Technology, Austria
Biochim Biophys Acta 1811:1165-76. 2011
..The yeast non-polar lipids, triacylglycerols (TG) and steryl esters (SE) are stored in so-called lipid particles/droplets (LP) as biologically inert form of fatty acids and sterols...
- Detection of omega-3 oxylipins in human plasma and response to treatment with omega-3 acid ethyl esters
Gregory C Shearer
Cardiovascular Health Research Center, Sanford Research USD, Sioux Falls, SD, USA
J Lipid Res 51:2074-81. 2010
..n-6 FA classes in healthy volunteers (n = 10) before and after 4 weeks of treatment with prescription n-3 FA ethyl esters (4 g/day)...
- Riding the sulfur cycle--metabolism of sulfonates and sulfate esters in gram-negative bacteria
M A Kertesz
Institute of Microbiology, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, ETH Zentrum, CH 8092, Zurich, Switzerland
FEMS Microbiol Rev 24:135-75. 2000
Sulfonates and sulfate esters are widespread in nature, and make up over 95% of the sulfur content of most aerobic soils...
- Fatty acid ethyl esters: toxic non-oxidative metabolites of ethanol and markers of ethanol intake
Catherine A Best
Division of Laboratory Medicine, Department of Pathology, Massachusetts General Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02114, USA
Front Biosci 8:e202-17. 2003
This report describes the biochemistry of fatty acid ethyl esters (FAEE), non-oxidative metabolites of ethanol, and their clinical significance...
- Synthesis and turnover of non-polar lipids in yeast
Institute of Biochemistry, Graz University of Technology, Petersgasse 12 2, A 8010 Graz, Austria
Prog Lipid Res 47:157-71. 2008
..Moreover, we will discuss non-polar lipid homeostasis and its newly discovered links to various cell biological processes in the yeast...
- Lipid phosphate phosphohydrolase-1 degrades exogenous glycerolipid and sphingolipid phosphate esters
Department of Biochemistry Signal Transduction Laboratories, Lipid and Lipoprotein Research Group, University of Alberta, 357 Heritage Medical Research Centre, Edmonton, Alberta, T6G 2S2, Canada
Biochem J 340:677-86. 1999
..The product of LPP-1 cDNA is concluded to act partly to degrade exogenous lysophosphatidate and thereby regulate its effects on cell signalling...
- The Saccharomyces cerevisiae YLL012/YEH1, YLR020/YEH2, and TGL1 genes encode a novel family of membrane-anchored lipases that are required for steryl ester hydrolysis
University of Fribourg, Department of Medicine, Division of Biochemistry, Chemin du Musee 5, CH 1700 Fribourg, Switzerland
Mol Cell Biol 25:1655-68. 2005
Sterol homeostasis in eukaryotic cells relies on the reciprocal interconversion of free sterols and steryl esters. The formation of steryl esters is well characterized, but the mechanisms that control steryl ester mobilization upon ..
- Contribution of Are1p and Are2p to steryl ester synthesis in the yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae
Institut fur Biochemie und Lebensmittelchemie, Technische Universität Graz and SFB Biomembrane Research Center, Graz, Austria
Eur J Biochem 267:1075-82. 2000
..yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae, two acyl-CoA:sterol acyltransferases (ASATs) that catalyze the synthesis of steryl esters have been identified, namely Are2p (Sat1p) and Are1p (Sat2p)...
- Determination of carotenoids and their esters in fruits of Lycium barbarum Linnaeus by HPLC-DAD-APCI-MS
B Stephen Inbaraj
Department of Food Science, Fu Jen University, Taipei 242, Taiwan
J Pharm Biomed Anal 47:812-8. 2008
..81:14:5, v/v/v) was used to separate carotenoids, with a total of 11 free carotenoids and 7 carotenoid esters being resolved from unsaponified and saponified L. barbarum extracts within 51 and 41 min, respectively...
- Technical Advance: a novel technique for the sensitive quantification of acyl CoA esters from plant tissues
T R Larson
Centre for Novel Agricultural Products, Department of Biology, University of York, Central Science Laboratory, Sand Hutton, York YO41 1LZ, UK
Plant J 25:115-25. 2001
We report a novel, highly sensitive and selective method for the extraction and quantification of acyl CoA esters from plant tissues...
- Increased plasma levels of phthalate esters in women with advanced-stage endometriosis: a prospective case-control study
Sung Hoon Kim
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Ulsan College of Medicine, Asan Medical Center, Seoul, South Korea
Fertil Steril 95:357-9. 2011
We performed the present prospective case-control study to evaluate whether the plasma concentrations of phthalate esters are elevated in women with advanced-stage endometriosis in a Korean population...
- Synthesis and antimicrobial properties of monensin A esters
Faculty of Chemistry, A Mickiewicz University, Grunwaldzka 6, 60 780 Poznan, Poland
Bioorg Med Chem Lett 18:2585-9. 2008
The esters (2-10) of the ionophore antibiotic Monensin (1) were synthesized by four different methods, which are discussed in detail...
- Ethanol-induced cytotoxicity in rat pancreatic acinar AR42J cells: role of fatty acid ethyl esters
Department of Pathology, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, TX 77555 0609, USA
Alcohol Alcohol 43:1-8. 2008
To understand the mechanism(s) of alcoholic pancreatitis and role of fatty acid ethyl esters (FAEEs, non-oxidative metabolites of ethanol) in ethanol-induced pancreatic injury.
- Lecithin-retinol acyltransferase is essential for accumulation of all-trans-retinyl esters in the eye and in the liver
Matthew L Batten
Department of Ophthalmology, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington 98195, USA
J Biol Chem 279:10422-32. 2004
..mainly in the retinal pigmented epithelial cells and liver, converts all-trans-retinol into all-trans-retinyl esters. In the retinal pigmented epithelium, LRAT plays a key role in the retinoid cycle, a two-cell recycling system ..
- Occurrence of phthalate esters in water and sediment of urban lakes in a subtropical city, Guangzhou, South China
School of Chemistry and Chemical Engineering, Sun Yat Sen University, Guangdong, Guangzhou 51027, China
Environ Int 34:372-80. 2008
Extensive use of phthalate esters (PAEs) in both industrial processes and consumer products has resulted in the ubiquitous presence of these chemicals in the environment...
- Comparative assessment of human exposure to phthalate esters from house dust in China and the United States
Wadsworth Center, New York State Department of Health, and Department of Environmental Health Sciences, School of Public Health, State University of New York at Albany, Empire State Plaza, P O Box 509, Albany, New York 12201 0509, United States
Environ Sci Technol 45:3788-94. 2011
Because of volatilization and leaching from their application in consumer and personal care products, phthalate esters are ubiquitous contaminants in the indoor environment...
- Phenol esters and other constituents from the stem barks of Stereospermum acuminatissimum
Sylvain Valère Tanemossu Sob
Department of Chemistry, University of Dschang, P O BOX 67, Dschang, Cameroon
J Asian Nat Prod Res 13:1128-34. 2011
..known compounds including 4 triterpenoids, 11 anthraquinones, 2 lignans, 3 phenylpropanoids, 2 4-hydroxyphenethyl esters, 1 methoxyphenol, and 1 iridoid...
- Rh(III)-catalyzed regioselective synthesis of pyridines from alkenes and α,β-unsaturated oxime esters
Jamie M Neely
Department of Chemistry, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, Colorado 80523, United States
J Am Chem Soc 135:66-9. 2013
..Mechanistic studies suggest that heterocycle formation proceeds via reversible C-H activation, alkene insertion, and a C-N bond formation/N-O bond cleavage process...
- A human skin multifunctional O-acyltransferase that catalyzes the synthesis of acylglycerols, waxes, and retinyl esters
Chi Liang Eric Yen
Gladstone Institute of Cardiovascular Disease, San Francisco, CA 94158, USA
J Lipid Res 46:2388-97. 2005
..acyltransferase (ARAT) activities, which catalyze the synthesis of diacylglycerols, wax monoesters, and retinyl esters, respectively...
- Development of Canadian screening tools for fetal alcohol spectrum disorder
Y Ingrid Goh
The Motherisk Program, Division of Clinical Pharmacology and Toxicology, The Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, Ontario
Can J Clin Pharmacol 15:e344-66. 2008
..Screening for FASD may facilitate diagnosis and hence management of these children. We present a variety of screening tools for the identification of children at risk for FASD...
- Investigations of the esterase, phosphatase, and sulfatase activities of the cytosolic mammalian carbonic anhydrase isoforms I, II, and XIII with 4-nitrophenyl esters as substrates
Universita degli Studi di Firenze, Laboratorio di Chimica Bioinorganica, Rm 188, Via della Lastruccia 3, I 50019 Sesto Fiorentino, Firenze, Italy
Bioorg Med Chem Lett 18:2267-71. 2008
..2.1.1) isozymes, CA I, II, and XIII with 4-nitrophenyl esters as substrates was investigated...
- Isolation of mutants of Acinetobacter calcoaceticus deficient in wax ester synthesis and complementation of one mutation with a gene encoding a fatty acyl coenzyme A reductase
Carnegie Institution of Washington, Department of Plant Biology, Stanford, California 94305 4150, USA
J Bacteriol 179:2969-75. 1997
Acinetobacter calcoaceticus BD413 accumulates wax esters and triacylglycerol under conditions of mineral nutrient limitation...
- Design, synthesis, and structure-activity relationships of alkylcarbamic acid aryl esters, a new class of fatty acid amide hydrolase inhibitors
Istituto di Chimica Farmaceutica e Tossicologica, Universita degli Studi di Urbino Carlo Bo, Piazza del Rinascimento 6, Italy
J Med Chem 46:2352-60. 2003
..Furthermore, the carbamic group is essential for activity. A 3D-QSAR analysis on the alkylcarbamic acid aryl esters showed that the size and shape of the O-aryl moiety are correlated with FAAH inhibitory potency...
- Targeted disruption of stearoyl-CoA desaturase1 gene in mice causes atrophy of sebaceous and meibomian glands and depletion of wax esters in the eyelid
Departments of Biochemistry, University of Wisconsin, Madison, 53706, USA
J Nutr 131:2260-8. 2001
..mainly oleate (18:1) and palmitoleate (16:1), which are the major MUFA of membrane phospholipids, cholesterol esters and triglycerides. Three well-characterized isoforms of SCD, SCD1, SCD2 and SCD3, exist in mice...
- New methodology for the determination of phthalate esters, bisphenol A, bisphenol A diglycidyl ether, and nonylphenol in commercial whole milk samples
Department of Environmental Chemistry, IIQAB CSIC, Jordi Girona 18 26, 08034 Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain
J Agric Food Chem 52:3702-7. 2004
..3 microg/kg, and the total concentration ranged between 79.3 and 187.4 microg/kg, the levels being higher in sterilized milks. Nonylphenol, diethyl phthalate, dibutyl phthalate, and bis(2-ethylhexyl) phthalate were the major contributors...
- Foetal exposure to phthalate esters and anogenital distance in male newborns
Department of Environmental Studies, The University of Tokyo, Chiba, Japan
Int J Androl 35:236-44. 2012
Phthalate esters, commonly used as plasticizers, show anti-androgenic activity and cause male reproductive malformation in experimental animals...
- Metabolism of the endocannabinoids, 2-arachidonylglycerol and anandamide, into prostaglandin, thromboxane, and prostacyclin glycerol esters and ethanolamides
Kevin R Kozak
Department of Biochemistry, Vanderbilt Ingram Cancer Center, and Center in Molecular Toxicology, Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, Nashville, Tennessee 37232 0146, USA
J Biol Chem 277:44877-85. 2002
..on the endocannabinoids, 2-arachidonylglycerol (2-AG) and anandamide (AEA), generates prostaglandin glycerol esters (PG-G) and ethanolamides (PG-EA), respectively...
- Microdiesel: Escherichia coli engineered for fuel production
Institut fur Molekulare Mikrobiologie und Biotechnologie, Westfalische Wilhelms Universitat, Corrensstrasse 3, D 48149 Munster, Germany
Microbiology 152:2529-36. 2006
..is produced from renewable biomass by transesterification of triacylglycerols from plant oils, yielding monoalkyl esters of long-chain fatty acids with short-chain alcohols such as fatty acid methyl esters and fatty acid ethyl esters (..
- Synthesis of novel lipids in Saccharomyces cerevisiae by heterologous expression of an unspecific bacterial acyltransferase
Institut fur Molekulare Mikrobiologie und Biotechnologie, Westfalische Wilhelms Universitat, Munster, Germany
Appl Environ Microbiol 70:7119-25. 2004
..Saccharomyces cerevisiae accumulates TAGs and steryl esters as storage lipids...
- Novel methods for the detection of drug and alcohol exposure during pregnancy: implications for maternal and child health
The Motherisk Program, Division of Clinical Pharmacology and Toxicology, Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Clin Pharmacol Ther 83:631-4. 2008
..Despite extensive evidence of fetal and neonatal risk, a large number of pregnant women are involved in excessive alcohol and drug abuse, such as with cocaine, methamphetamine, opioids, and cannabinoids...
- Quantification of fatty acid ethyl esters (FAEE) and ethyl glucuronide (EtG) in meconium from newborns for detection of alcohol abuse in a maternal health evaluation study
Institute of Legal Medicine, University Hospital Charite, Hittorfstr 18, 14195 Berlin, Germany
Anal Bioanal Chem 396:2469-77. 2010
Fatty acid ethyl esters (FAEE) and ethyl glucuronide (EtG) were determined in 602 meconium samples in a maternal health evaluation study for detection of gestational alcohol consumption...
- Mild and rapid hydroxylation of aryl/heteroaryl boronic acids and boronate esters with N-oxides
Division of Chemistry, Department of Biochemistry, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, Texas 75390, USA
Org Lett 14:3494-7. 2012
Aryl and heteroaryl boronic acids and boronate esters are rapidly, often within minutes, transformed into the corresponding phenols by N-oxides in an open flask at ambient temperature...
- Novel isolation procedure for short-, medium-, and long-chain acyl-coenzyme A esters from tissue
Paul E Minkler
Department of Pharmacology, Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine, Cleveland, OH 44106, USA
Anal Biochem 376:275-6. 2008
A novel procedure for the quantitative isolation and purification of acyl-coenzyme A esters is presented. The procedure involves two steps: (1) tissue extraction using acetonitrile/2-propanol (3+1, v+v) followed by 0...
- Metal-free catalytic enantioselective C-B bond formation: (pinacolato)boron conjugate additions to α,β-unsaturated ketones, esters, Weinreb amides, and aldehydes promoted by chiral N-heterocyclic carbenes
Department of Chemistry, Merkert Chemistry Center, Boston College, Chestnut Hill, Massachusetts 02467, United States
J Am Chem Soc 134:8277-85. 2012
..Acyclic and cyclic α,β-unsaturated ketones, as well as acyclic esters, Weinreb amides, and aldehydes, can serve as suitable substrates; the desired β-boryl carbonyls are isolated in ..
- The induction of senescence-like growth arrest by protein kinase C-activating diterpene esters in solid tumor cells
Sharon A Mason
Drug Discovery Group, Queensland Institute of Medical Research, Post Office Royal Brisbane and Women s Hospital, Brisbane, Queensland 4029, Australia
Invest New Drugs 28:575-86. 2010
We previously identified the induction of senescence in melanoma cell lines sensitive to diterpene esters, indicating a therapeutic potential...
- Production of wax esters in plant seed oils by oleosomal cotargeting of biosynthetic enzymes
Department of Plant Biochemistry, Albrecht von Haller Institute for Plant Sciences, Georg August University, D 37077 Gottingen, Germany
J Lipid Res 53:2153-61. 2012
Wax esters are neutral lipids exhibiting desirable properties for lubrication. Natural sources have traditionally been whales. Additionally some plants produce wax esters in their seed oil...
- Synthesis and herbicidal activity of 5-(4-hydroxybenzyl)-2-thioxoimidazolidin-4-one esters
Department of Applied Chemistry, China Agricultural University, Beijing 100193, China
Molecules 16:2833-45. 2011
A series of novel 5-(4-hydroxybenzyl)-2-thioxoimidazolidin-4-one esters were synthesized under mild conditions by the reaction of 5-(4-hydroxybenzyl)-2-thioxoimidazolidin-4-one and carboxylic acids with DCC and DMAP as the promoters...
- Long-chain acyl-CoA esters and phosphatidylinositol phosphates modulate ATP inhibition of KATP channels by the same mechanism
Institute of Physiology II, Friedrich Schiller University Jena, Teichgraben 8, 07740 Jena, Germany
J Physiol 552:357-67. 2003
Phosphatidylinositol phosphates (PIPs, e.g. PIP2) and long-chain acyl-CoA esters (e.g. oleoyl-CoA) are potent activators of KATP channels that are thought to link KATP channel activity to the cellular metabolism of PIPs and fatty acids...
- Modification of palm kernel oil esters nanoemulsions with hydrocolloid gum for enhanced topical delivery of ibuprofen
Department of Chemistry, Faculty of Science, Universiti Putra Malaysia, Selangor, Malaysia
Int J Nanomedicine 7:4739-47. 2012
..The present study investigated the modification of nanoemulsions with different hydrocolloid gums, to enhanced drug delivery of ibuprofen. The in vitro characterization of the initial and modified nanoemulsions was also studied...
- Antitumor activity of 3-ingenyl angelate: plasma membrane and mitochondrial disruption and necrotic cell death
Steven M Ogbourne
Queensland Institute of Medical Research, Melanoma Genomics Group, Brisbane, Australia
Cancer Res 64:2833-9. 2004
..PEP005 thus emerges as a new topical anti-skin cancer agent that has a novel mode of action involving plasma membrane and mitochondrial disruption and primary necrosis, ultimately resulting in an excellent cosmetic outcome...
- Sorption behavior of 17 phthalic acid esters on three soils: effects of pH and dissolved organic matter, sorption coefficient measurement and QSPR study
State Key Laboratory of Pollution Control and Resources Reuse, School of the Environment, Xianlin Campus, Nanjing University, Nanjing 210046, PR China
Chemosphere 93:82-9. 2013
This work studies the sorption behaviors of phthalic acid esters (PAEs) on three soils by batch equilibration experiments and quantitative structure property relationship (QSPR) methodology...
- Comparison between HPLC and a commercial immunoassay kit for detection of okadaic acid and esters in Portuguese bivalves
Instituto de Investigação das Pescas e do Mar, Lisbon, Portugal
Toxicon 37:1565-77. 1999
..poisoning (DSP) toxins in Portuguese shellfish, has detected okadaic acid (OA), dinophysistoxin-2 (DTX2) and esters of both of these...
- Preparation of fatty acid methyl esters for gas-liquid chromatography
Ken ichi Ichihara
Biological Chemistry Graduate School of Agricultural Science, Kyoto Prefectural University, Shimogamo, Kyoto 606 8522, Japan
J Lipid Res 51:635-40. 2010
..HCl; 35%, w/w) as an acid catalyst was developed for preparation of fatty acid methyl esters (FAMEs) from sterol esters, triacylglycerols, phospholipids, and FFAs for gas-liquid chromatography (GC)...
- Alkyl esters of hydroxycinnamic acids with improved antioxidant activity and lipophilicity protect PC12 cells against oxidative stress
CIQ Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, Faculty of Sciences, University of Porto, 4169 007 Porto, Portugal
Biochimie 94:961-7. 2012
..their cellular absorption and expansion of their use in lipophilic media, methyl, ethyl, propyl and butyl esters of caffeic acid and ferulic acid have been synthesized. All caffeate esters had a slightly lower DPPH IC(50) (13...
- Hyaluronan esters drive Smad gene expression and signaling enhancing cardiogenesis in mouse embryonic and human mesenchymal stem cells
Department of Biomedical Sciences, University of Sassari, Sassari, Italy
PLoS ONE 5:e15151. 2010
..We have recently developed hyaluronan mixed esters of butyric and retinoic acids (HBR), turning cardiovascular stem cell fate into a high-yield process...
- Fumaric acid esters
Martin Rostami Yazdi
Psoriasis Center at the Department of Dermatology, University of Kiel, Kiel, Germany
Clin Dermatol 26:522-6. 2008
Several clinical studies have shown that systemic therapy with fumaric acid esters (FAEs) in patients with moderate to severe psoriasis is effective and has a good long-term safety profile...
- Production and biological function of volatile esters in Saccharomyces cerevisiae
Sofie M G Saerens
Centre for Food and Microbial Technology, Department of Microbial and Molecular Systems, Faculty of Bioscience Engineering, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Kasteelpark Arenberg 22, B 3001 Leuven Heverlee, Belgium
Microb Biotechnol 3:165-77. 2010
The need to understand and control ester synthesis is driven by the fact that esters play a key role in the sensorial quality of fermented alcoholic beverages like beer, wine and sake...
- Rhodium-catalyzed selective olefination of arene esters via C-H bond activation
Sae Hume Park
Department of Chemistry and Molecular Level Interface Research Center, Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology, Daejeon 305 701, Korea
Org Lett 13:2372-5. 2011
..The reaction is highly regioselective with a range of benzoates and benzaldehydes enabling the efficient olefination with acrylates, acrylic acid, and styrenes...
- Stereocomplementary bioreduction of alpha,beta-unsaturated dicarboxylic acids and dimethyl esters using enoate reductases: enzyme- and substrate-based stereocontrol
Department of Chemistry, Organic and Bioorganic Chemistry, University of Graz, Heinrichstrasse 28, 8010 Graz, Austria
Org Lett 9:5409-11. 2007
..acids, such as 2-methylmaleic/fumaric and 2-methylenesuccinic acid, as well as the corresponding dimethyl esters, using three cloned enoate reductases furnished 2-methylsuccinic acid or dimethyl 2-methylsuccinate, respectively...
- Activation of the plant mitochondrial potassium channel by free fatty acids and acyl-CoA esters: a possible defence mechanism in the response to hyperosmotic stress
Maura N Laus
Dipartimento di Scienze Agro ambientali, Chimica e Difesa Vegetale, Facolta di Agraria, Universita degli Studi di Foggia, Via Napoli, 25 71122 Foggia, Italy
J Exp Bot 62:141-54. 2011
The effect of free fatty acids (FFAs) and acyl-CoA esters on K(+) uptake was studied in mitochondria isolated from durum wheat (Triticum durum Desf...
- In heavy drinkers, fatty acid ethyl esters remain elevated for up to 99 hours
Institute of Clinical Chemistry and Biochemistry, Magdeburg University Hospital, Germany
Alcohol Clin Exp Res 31:423-7. 2007
..The esters of ethanol with free fatty acids (FAEEs) are candidate markers of this kind...
- Soil contamination by phthalate esters in Chinese intensive vegetable production systems with different modes of use of plastic film
Key Laboratory of Soil Environment and Pollution Remediation, Institute of Soil Science, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Nanjing 210008, China
Environ Pollut 180:265-73. 2013
The concentrations of six priority phthalic acid esters (PAEs) in intensively managed suburban vegetable soils in Nanjing, east China, were analyzed using gas chromatography-mass spectrometry (GC-MS)...
- Synthesis, storage and degradation of neutral lipids in yeast
Institute of Biochemistry, Graz University of Technology, Petersgasse 12 2, A 8010 Graz, Austria
Biochim Biophys Acta 1771:299-309. 2007
..report about pathways and enzymes contributing to formation and degradation of triacylglycerols and steryl esters, and describe storage of these components in lipid particles...
- Polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons and phthalic acid esters in vegetables from nine farms of the Pearl River Delta, South China
Ce Hui Mo
Department of Environmental Engineering, Jinan University, Guangzhou 510632, China
Arch Environ Contam Toxicol 56:181-9. 2009
This study investigated the occurrence of 16 polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs) and 6 phthalic acid esters (PAEs) in 11 vegetable species collected from nine farms of the Pearl River Delta, South China...
- GC/MS determination of fatty acid picolinyl esters by direct curie-point pyrolysis of whole bacterial cells
Department of Molecular Biology, Biochemistry, and Biopharmacy, School of Pharmacy, Medical University of Silesia, Katowice, Poland
J Am Soc Mass Spectrom 14:58-62. 2003
A single-step method suitable for cellular fatty acid derivatization to picolinyl esters with the use of a pyrolyzer as a thermochemical micro-reactor was developed for whole bacterial cells...
- A substrate-driven approach to determine reactivities of α,β-unsaturated carboxylic esters towards asymmetric bioreduction
ACIB GmbH c o, Biocatalytic Synthesis, University of Graz, Heinrichstrasse 28, 8010 Graz, Austria
Chemistry 18:10362-7. 2012
The degree of C=C bond activation in the asymmetric bioreduction of α,β-unsaturated carboxylic esters by ene-reductases was studied, and general recommendations to render these "borderline-substrates" more reactive towards enzymatic ..
- Process optimization for biodiesel production from mahua (Madhuca indica) oil using response surface methodology
Shashikant Vilas Ghadge
Agricultural and Food Engineering Department, Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur 721 302, India
Bioresour Technol 97:379-84. 2006
..7% w/v KOH as an alkaline catalyst to produce biodiesel. The fuel properties of mahua biodiesel so obtained complied the requirements of both the American and European standards for biodiesel...
- Enhanced increase of omega-3 index in response to long-term n-3 fatty acid supplementation from triacylglycerides versus ethyl esters
Institute of Food Science and Human Nutrition, Leibniz Universitat Hannover, Am Kleinen Felde 30, Hannover, Germany
Eur J Clin Nutr 65:247-54. 2011
..The objective of this study was to investigate the response of the omega-3 index, the percentage of EPA+DHA in red blood cell membranes, to supplementation with two different omega-3 fatty acid (n-3 FA) formulations in humans...
- Fatty acyl-CoA reductase and wax synthase from Euglena gracilis in the biosynthesis of medium-chain wax esters
Department of Food and Bioproduct Sciences, College of Agriculture and Bioresources, University of Saskatchewan, 51 Campus Drive, Saskatoon, SK, S7N 5A8, Canada
Lipids 45:263-73. 2010
Euglena gracilis, a unicellular phytoflagellate, can accumulate a large amount of medium-chain wax esters under anaerobic growth conditions...
- Release of hormones from conjugates: chloroplast expression of β-glucosidase results in elevated phytohormone levels associated with significant increase in biomass and protection from aphids or whiteflies conferred by sucrose esters
Department of Molecular Biology and Microbiology, College of Medicine, University of Central Florida, Orlando, Florida 32816 2364, USA
Plant Physiol 155:222-35. 2011
..more glandular trichomes (as determined by rhodamine B staining), suggesting that BGL-1 lines produce more sugar esters than control plants...
- Correlation for the estimation of the density of fatty acid esters fuels and its implications. A proposed Biodiesel Cetane Index
Escuela Técnica Superior de Ingenieros Industriales, University of Castilla La Mancha, Edificio Politecnico, Avda Camilo Jose Cela, s n 13071 Ciudad Real, Spain
Chem Phys Lipids 163:720-7. 2010
Biodiesel fuels (methyl or ethyl esters derived from vegetables oils and animal fats) are currently being used as a means to diminish the crude oil dependency and to limit the greenhouse gas emissions of the transportation sector...
- Novel patch-based systems for the localised delivery of ALA-esters
Desmond I J Morrow
School of Pharmacy, Queen s University Belfast, Medical Biology Centre, 97 Lisburn Road, Belfast BT9 7BL, UK
J Photochem Photobiol B 101:59-69. 2010
..In addition, owing to the relatively low loadings of h-ALA required in PSA patches, the costs of clinical PDT may potentially be reduced...
- Cuticular wax biosynthesis in petunia petals: cloning and characterization of an alcohol-acyltransferase that synthesizes wax-esters
Donald Danforth Plant Science Center, 975 N Warson Road, St Louis, MO 63132, USA
Planta 226:381-94. 2007
..One component of the cuticular wax is the alkyl esters, which typically contain a VLCFA esterified to an alcohol of a similar length...
- Characterization of fucoxanthin and fucoxanthinol esters in the Chinese surf clam, Mactra chinensis
Research Institute for Production Development, 15 Shimogamo Morimoto Cho, Sakyo ku, Kyoto 606 0805, Japan
J Agric Food Chem 55:1563-7. 2007
Fucoxanthin and fucoxanthinol fatty acid esters in the clam, Mactra chinensis, were characterized on the basis of 1H NMR and FAB-MS spectra. 1H NMR revealed that the hydroxy group at C-3 in fucoxanthin and fucoxanthinol was acylated...
- Exploring indirect sources of human exposure to perfluoroalkyl carboxylates (PFCAs): evaluating uptake, elimination, and biotransformation of polyfluoroalkyl phosphate esters (PAPs) in the rat
Jessica C D'eon
Department of Chemistry, University of Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Environ Health Perspect 119:344-50. 2011
..Biotransformation of the polyfluoroalkyl phosphate esters (PAPs) is a possible source of PFCA exposure, because PAPs are used in food-contact paper packaging and have been ..
- Reversed-phase high-performance liquid chromatography purification of methyl esters of C(16)-C(28) polyunsaturated fatty acids in microalgae, including octacosaoctaenoic acid [28:8(n-3)]
Maged P Mansour
CSIRO Marine and Atmospheric Research, Castray Esplanade Battery Point, G P O Box 1538, Hobart, Tasmania 7001, Australia
J Chromatogr A 1097:54-8. 2005
..was used to purify milligram quantities of microalgal polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFA), separated as methyl esters (ME)...
- ABCA12 maintains the epidermal lipid permeability barrier by facilitating formation of ceramide linoleic esters
Lipid Metabolism Unit, Department of Medicine, Center for Computational and Integrative Biology, Massachusetts General Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02114, USA
J Biol Chem 283:36624-35. 2008
..This was associated with a profound reduction in skin linoleic esters of long-chain omega-hydroxyceramides and a corresponding increase in their glucosyl ceramide precursors...
- Antimicrobial activity of n-6, n-7 and n-9 fatty acids and their esters for oral microorganisms
Chifu B Huang
Center for Oral Health Research, University of Kentucky, Lexington, 40503, United States
Arch Oral Biol 55:555-60. 2010
..This study is to assess the antibacterial activity of omega-6, -7, -9 (n-6, n-7, n-9) fatty acids against various oral microorganisms...
- A novel Aspergillus oryzae esterase that hydrolyzes 4-hydroxybenzoic acid esters
Department of Bioresource Engineering, Faculty of Agriculture, Yamagata University, Tsuruoka, Japan
FEBS Lett 584:4032-6. 2010
..The purified recombinant protein showed a hydrolytic activity toward the ethyl, propyl, or butyl esters of 4-hydroxybenzoic acid, but did not show feruloyl esterase or tannase activity...
- Atmospheric pressure chemical ionization mass spectrometry and in-source fragmentation of lutein esters
Department of Food Science and Technology, The Ohio State University, 110 Parker Food Science and Technology Building, 2015 Fyffe Road, Columbus, OH 43210 1007, USA
J Mass Spectrom 38:990-5. 2003
..and in-source collisionally induced dissociation (CID) were employed to obtain structural information of lutein esters from marigold extract...
- Rpe65 is necessary for production of 11-cis-vitamin A in the retinal visual cycle
T M Redmond
Laboratory of Retinal Cell and Molecular Biology, National Eye Institute, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
Nat Genet 20:344-51. 1998
..Rpe65-/- mice lack rhodopsin, but not opsin apoprotein. Furthermore, all-trans-retinyl esters over-accumulate in the RPE of Rpe65-/- mice, whereas 11-cis-retinyl esters are absent...
- Mechanism of toxicity of esters of caffeic and dihydrocaffeic acids
Chemistry Department, Pomona College, Claremont, CA 91711, USA
Bioorg Med Chem 9:199-209. 2001
Ten esters each of caffeic acid and dihydrocaffeic acid have recently been synthesized...
- An improved method for rapidly quantifying fatty acid ethyl esters in meconium suitable for prenatal alcohol screening
Janine R Hutson
Motherisk Laboratory, Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, Ontario M5G 1X8, Canada
Alcohol 45:193-9. 2011
Fatty acid ethyl esters (FAEEs) are nonoxidative metabolites of ethanol, and elevated levels of FAEE in meconium are a useful biomarker for heavy prenatal alcohol exposure...
- The lipid droplet enzyme Tgl1p hydrolyzes both steryl esters and triglycerides in the yeast, Saccharomyces cerevisiae
Institute of Molecular Biosciences, SFB Biomembrane Research Center, University of Graz, Schubertstr 1, A8010 Graz, Austria
Biochim Biophys Acta 1735:50-8. 2005
..Tgl1p localized exclusively to lipid droplets which are the intracellular storage compartment of steryl esters and triacylglycerols in the yeast S. cerevisiae...
- Phenolic acid derivatives with potential anticancer properties--a structure-activity relationship study. Part 1: methyl, propyl and octyl esters of caffeic and gallic acids
S M Fiuza
Research Unit Molecular Physical Chemistry, Coimbra University, Portugal
Bioorg Med Chem 12:3581-9. 2004
..This study was conducted for the following esters: methyl caffeate (MC, 1), propyl caffeate (PC, 2), octyl caffeate (OC, 3), methyl gallate (MG, 4), propyl gallate (..
- First confirmation of human diarrhoeic poisonings by okadaic acid esters after ingestion of razor clams (Solen marginatus) and green crabs (Carcinus maenas) in Aveiro lagoon, Portugal and detection of okadaic acid esters in phytoplankton
Instituto de Investigação das Pescas e do Mar, Av Brasilia, 1449 006 Lisboa, Portugal
Toxicon 40:989-96. 2002
A new outbreak of human diarrhoeic poisonings (DSP) with esters of okadaic acid (OA) was confirmed after ingestion of razor clams (Solen marginatus) harvested at Aveiro lagoon (NW Portugal) in the summer of 2001...
- HPLC/UV quantitation of retinal, retinol, and retinyl esters in serum and tissues
MAUREEN A KANE
Department of Nutritional Science and Toxicology, University of California, Berkeley, CA 94720, USA
Anal Biochem 378:71-9. 2008
We report robust HPLC/UV methods for quantifying retinyl esters (RE), retinol (ROL), and retinal (RAL) applicable to diverse biological samples with lower limits of detection of 0.7, 0.2, and 0...
- YEH2/YLR020c encodes a novel steryl ester hydrolase of the yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae
Institute of Biochemistry, Graz University of Technology, Graz, Austria
J Biol Chem 280:13321-8. 2005
..However, in strains bearing hybrid proteins with strongly enhanced Yeh2p activity decreased levels of all steryl esters were observed...
- Role of carnitine esters in brain neuropathology
Scientific Affairs, Sigma tau HealthScience, Pomezia 00040, Italy
Mol Aspects Med 25:533-49. 2004
..This mitochondrial dysfunction may be ameliorated by L-C and its esters. In addition to its metabolic role, L-C and its esters such as acetyl-L-carnitine (ALC) poses unique ..
- Assessing human exposure to phthalates using monoesters and their oxidized metabolites as biomarkers
Dana B Barr
Division of Laboratory Sciences, National Center for Environmental Health, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia 30341, USA
Environ Health Perspect 111:1148-51. 2003
- Paraben esters: review of recent studies of endocrine toxicity, absorption, esterase and human exposure, and discussion of potential human health risks
Philippa D Darbre
School of Biological Sciences, The University of Reading, Reading RG6 6AJ, UK
J Appl Toxicol 28:561-78. 2008
..update reviews research over the past four years since publication in 2004 of the first measurement of intact esters of p-hydroxybenzoic acid (parabens) in human breast cancer tissues, and the suggestion that their presence in the ..
- Cytotoxicity of phenylpropanoid esters from the stems of Hibiscus taiwanensis
Pei Lin Wu
Department of Chemistry, National Cheng Kung University, Tainan 701, Taiwan, ROC
Bioorg Med Chem 12:2193-7. 2004
..the stems of the previously uninvestigated Hibiscus taiwanensis led to the isolation of three new phenylpropanoid esters, (7S,8S)-demethylcarolignan E (1), hibiscuwanin A (2), hibiscuwanin B (3), in addition to eight known ones...
- New water-soluble phosphines as reductants of peptide and protein disulfide bonds: reactivity and membrane permeability
Daniel J Cline
Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, University of Delaware, Newark, Delaware 19716, USA
Biochemistry 43:15195-203. 2004
..Mono-, di-, and trimethyl esters exhibit phosphorus pK values of 6.8, 5.8, and 4...
- Reactivity of dimethyl fumarate and methylhydrogen fumarate towards glutathione and N-acetyl-L-cysteine--preparation of S-substituted thiosuccinic acid esters
Thomas J Schmidt
Westfalische Wilhelms Universitat, Institut für Pharmazeutische Biologie und Phytochemie IPBP, Hittorfstrasse 56, D 48149 Munster, Germany
Bioorg Med Chem 15:333-42. 2007
..addition proceeds rapidly to yield a 1:1 mixture of both diastereomeric 2-(S-glutathionyl)-succinic acid dimethyl esters. MHF under identical conditions was shown to react with GSH as well leading to a mixture of four products (2 ..
- Safety of long-term consumption of plant sterol esters-enriched spread
H F J Hendriks
TNO Nutrition and Food Research, Department of Nutritional Physiology, Zeist, The Netherlands
Eur J Clin Nutr 57:681-92. 2003
To evaluate both efficacy and safety in humans of long-term consumption of spreads containing plant sterol esters.
- Fumaric acid dialkyl esters deprive cultured rat oligodendroglial cells of glutathione and upregulate the expression of heme oxygenase 1
Centre for Biomolecular Interactions Bremen, University of Bremen, Bremen, Germany
Neurosci Lett 475:56-60. 2010
Fumaric acid esters (FAE) are currently tested in clinical studies for their potential to treat multiple sclerosis...
- Retinyl esters are the substrate for isomerohydrolase
Department of Ophthalmology, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, South Carolina 29425, USA
Biochemistry 42:2229-38. 2003
..involved in this isomerization process has not been identified and both all-trans retinol and all-trans retinyl esters have been proposed as the substrate...
- Papain-catalyzed peptide bond formation: enzyme-specific activation with guanidinophenyl esters
Roseri J A C de Beer
Institute for Molecules and Materials, Radboud University Nijmegen, Heyendaalseweg 135, 6525 AJ Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Chembiochem 12:2201-7. 2011
..To provide insight in the binding mode of various Z-X(AA)-OGp esters, computational docking studies were performed...
- TRPA1 is activated by direct addition of cysteine residues to the N-hydroxysuccinyl esters of acrylic and cinnamic acids
Laura R Sadofsky
Cardiovascular and Respiratory Studies, The University of Hull, Castle Hill Hospital, Cottingham, Hull HU16 5JQ, UK
Pharmacol Res 63:30-6. 2011
- Synthesis of alkyl esters by cutinase in miniemulsion and organic solvent media
Dragana P C de Barros
Institute for Biotechnology and Bioengineering, Instituto Superior Tecnico, Centre for Biological and Chemical Engineering, Lisbon, Portugal
Biotechnol J 4:674-83. 2009
..miniemulsion system) on the synthesis of alkyl esters catalyzed by Fusarium solani pisi cutinase...
- Sugar fatty acid esters inhibit biofilm formation by food-borne pathogenic bacteria
Department of Food Science and Technology, College of Bioresource Sciences, Nihon University, Kameino, Fujisawa shi, Japan
Int J Food Microbiol 138:176-80. 2010
..effects of biofilm formation by Staphylococcus aureus and Escherichia coli, and in particular, sugar fatty acid esters showed significant anti-biofilm activity...
- Enzymatic removal of carboxyl protecting groups. III. Fast removal of allyl and chloroethyl esters by Bacillus subtilis esterase (BS2)
Laboratory of Organic Chemistry, Department of Chemistry, University of Athens, Panepistimiopolis, Athens 15771, Greece
J Org Chem 72:782-6. 2007
..from Bacillus subtilis (BS2) allows the fast and selective removal of allyl, 2-chloroethyl, and 2,2,2-chloroethyl esters under mild conditions in high yields...
- Determination of astaxanthin and astaxanthin esters in the microalgae Haematococcus pluvialis by LC-(APCI)MS and characterization of predominant carotenoid isomers by NMR spectroscopy
Institute of Organic Chemistry, University of Tubingen, Auf der Morgenstelle 18, 72076, Tubingen, Germany
Anal Bioanal Chem 395:1613-22. 2009
..The all-trans as well as the 9- and 13-cis isomers of astaxanthin were characterized in detail by UV/Vis, (1)H, and (1)H,(1)H COSY NMR spectroscopy...
- Gene cloning and molecular characterization of the Talaromyces thermophilus lipase catalyzed efficient hydrolysis and synthesis of esters
Ines Belhaj Ben Romdhane
Laboratoire de Valorisation de la Biomasse et Production des Protéines chez les Eucaryotes Centre de Biotechnologies de Sfax, University of Sfax, Tunisia
Gene 494:112-8. 2012
..Compared to the Lipolase®, this enzyme was found to be more efficient for the hydrolysis and the synthesis of esters; and its synthetic efficiency even reached 91.6% from Waste Cooking Oil triglycerides.
- Chemoselective chemical and electrochemical deprotections of aromatic esters
Departement de Chimie, Universite Catholique de Louvain, Place Louis Pasteur, 1 B 1348 Louvain la Neuve, Belgium
Org Lett 11:2752-5. 2009
Alcohols can be easily and chemoselectively deprotected from the corresponding aromatic esters by using either SmI(2)/HMPA or by electrolysis in the presence of a proton source.
- Biomimetic aminoacylation of ribonucleotides and RNA with aminoacyl phosphate esters and lanthanum salts
Davenport Chemical Laboratories, Department of Chemistry, University of Toronto, Toronto, ON Canada M5S 3H6
J Am Chem Soc 129:15848-54. 2007
..We have now established that aminoacyl phosphate esters in the presence of lanthanide ions in water will acylate hydroxyls at the 3'-terminus of RNA or a simple ..
- Propolis specimens from different locations of central Italy: chemical profiling and gas chromatography-mass spectrometry (GC-MS) quantitative analysis of the allergenic esters benzyl cinnamate and benzyl salicylate
Italian National Agency for New Technologies, Energy, and Sustainable Economic Development ENEA, CR Casaccia, Rome, Italy
J Agric Food Chem 59:282-8. 2011
..chromatography-mass spectrometry (GC-MS) analytical methodology for the quantitative analysis of two allergenic esters in propolis specimens, benzyl salicylate and benzyl cinnamate, and test it on specimens from different locations ..