- A selective inhibitor of eIF2alpha dephosphorylation protects cells from ER stress
Department of Cell Biology, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Science 307:935-9. 2005
..More broadly, salubrinal demonstrates the feasibility of selective pharmacological targeting of cellular dephosphorylation events...
- Exogenous caffeic acid inhibits the growth and enhances the lignification of the roots of soybean (Glycine max)
Gisele Adriana Bubna
Laboratory of Plant Biochemistry, Department of Biochemistry, University of Maringa, Av Colombo, 5790, 87020 900 Maringa, PR, Brazil
J Plant Physiol 168:1627-33. 2011
..These results indicate that exogenously applied caffeic acid can be channeled into the phenylpropanoid pathway via the 4CL reaction, resulting in an increase of lignin monomers that solidify the cell wall and inhibit root growth...
- Rosmarinic acid inhibits the formation of reactive oxygen and nitrogen species in RAW264.7 macrophages
Department of Biochemistry, Aichi Medical University School of Medicine, Nagakute, Aichi 480 1195, Japan
Free Radic Res 39:995-1003. 2005
- Molecular characterization of a stable antisense chalcone synthase phenotype in strawberry (Fragaria x ananassa)
Biomolecular Food Technology, Technical University Munchen, Lise Meitner Strasse 34, 85354 Freising, Germany
J Agric Food Chem 54:2145-53. 2006
- Autophagy regulates endoplasmic reticulum stress in ischemic preconditioning
Department of Pharmacology and Laboratory of Aging and Nervous Diseases, Soochow University School of Medicine, Suzhou, China
Autophagy 8:310-25. 2012
..These results demonstrated that pre-activation of autophagy by ischemic preconditioning can boost endogenous defense mechanisms to upregulate molecular chaperones, and hence reduce excessive ER stress during fatal ischemia...
- Endoplasmic reticulum stress-mediated apoptosis of EBV-transformed B cells by cross-linking of CD70 is dependent upon generation of reactive oxygen species and activation of p38 MAPK and JNK pathway
Ga Bin Park
Department of Anatomy and Research Center for Tumor Immunology, Inje University College of Medicine, Busan, Korea
J Immunol 185:7274-84. 2010
..Our report reveals alternate mechanisms of direct apoptosis through CD70 signaling and provides data supporting CD70 as a viable target for an Ab-based therapy against EBV-related tumors...
- Sunscreens in human plasma and urine after repeated whole-body topical application
N R Janjua
Department of Dermatology, Bispebjerg Hospital, Copenhagen, Denmark
J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol 22:456-61. 2008
..For all three compounds, only sporadic measurements of percutaneous absorption and excretion after topical application in humans have been described...
- Rosmarinic acid
Institut fur Pharmazeutische Biologie, Philipps Universitat Marburg, Deutschhausstr 17A, D 35037 Marburg, Germany
Phytochemistry 62:121-5. 2003
..For this reason a biotechnological production of rosmarinic acid with plant cell cultures has been proposed...
- Adamantyl-substituted retinoid-related molecules bind small heterodimer partner and modulate the Sin3A repressor
John D Dingell Veterans Affairs Medical Center, 4646 John R Street, Detroit, MI 48201, USA
Cancer Res 67:318-25. 2007
..These results suggest that AHPN/3-Cl-AHPC and their analogues are SHP ligands and their induction of apoptosis is mediated by their binding to the SHP receptor...
- Hepatoprotective activity of picroliv, curcumin and ellagic acid compared to silymarin on paracetamol induced liver toxicity in mice
Department of Pharmacology, Jawaharlal Institute of Postgraduate Medical Education and Research JIPMER, Pondicherry, India
Fundam Clin Pharmacol 23:735-45. 2009
..These active phytochemicals may be developed as drugs for the treatment of liver diseases...
- Rosmarinic acid protects against experimental sepsis by inhibiting proinflammatory factor release and ameliorating hemodynamics
Wang Lin Jiang
College of Marine Life Science, Ocean University of China, Qingdao, People s Republic of China
Shock 32:608-13. 2009
..The anti-inflammatory mechanism of RA may inhibit activation of the nuclear factor- kappaB pathway by inhibiting IkappaB kinase activity...
- Chemical inactivation of the cinnamate 4-hydroxylase allows for the accumulation of salicylic acid in elicited cells
Guillaume A Schoch
Department of Plant Stress Response, Institute of Plant Molecular Biology, Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique Unité Propre de Recherche 2357, Universite Louis Pasteur, 28 rue Goethe, F 67000 Strasbourg, France
Plant Physiol 130:1022-31. 2002
..Mechanism-based C4H inactivators, thus, are promising tools for the elucidation of the CA-derived SA biosynthetic pathway and for the potentiation of plant defense...
- Selective inhibition of eukaryotic translation initiation factor 2 alpha dephosphorylation potentiates fatty acid-induced endoplasmic reticulum stress and causes pancreatic beta-cell dysfunction and apoptosis
Laboratory of Experimental Medicine, Universite Libre de Bruxelles, 1070 Brussels, Belgium
J Biol Chem 282:3989-97. 2007
..This modifies the present paradigm regarding the beneficial role of eIF2alpha phosphorylation in beta-cells and must be taken into consideration when designing therapies to protect beta-cells in type 2 diabetes...
- A chlorophyll fluorescence analysis of photosynthetic efficiency, quantum yield and photon energy dissipation in PSII antennae of Lactuca sativa L. leaves exposed to cinnamic acid
M Iftikhar Hussain
Department of Plant Biology and Soil Science, University of Vigo, Campus Lagoas Marcosende, 36310 Vigo, Spain
Plant Physiol Biochem 49:1290-8. 2011
..CA (1.5 mM) also decreased the leaf protein contents of L. sativa as compared to control...
- Anti-inflammatory and anti-allergic effect of rosmarinic acid (RA); inhibition of seasonal allergic rhinoconjunctivitis (SAR) and its mechanism
Health and Bioscience Laboratories, Meiji Seika Kaisha Ltd, 5 3 1, Chiyoda Sakado 350 0289, Japan co jp
Biofactors 21:127-31. 2004
..In addition, the anti-inflammatory mechanism of RA also estimated in the ear edema models...
- Synthesis and antiviral activities of amide derivatives containing the alpha-aminophosphonate moiety
De Yu Hu
Center for Research and Development of Fine Chemicals, Key Laboratory of Green Pesticide and Agricultural Bioengineering, Ministry of Education, Guizhou University, Guiyang 550025, PR China
J Agric Food Chem 56:998-1001. 2008
..6 microg/mL). To the best of our knowledge, this is the first report on the synthesis and antiviral activity of amide derivatives containing an alpha-aminophosphonate moiety...
- The combination of 4-anilinoquinazoline and cinnamic acid: a novel mode of binding to the epidermal growth factor receptor tyrosine kinase
Dong Dong Li
State Key Laboratory of Pharmaceutical Biotechnology, Nanjing University, Nanjing 210093, People s Republic of China
Bioorg Med Chem 19:5012-22. 2011
..Compound 43 has demonstrated significant EGFR (IC(50)=0.12 μM) and tumor growth inhibitory activity as a potential anticancer agent...
- Long term effect of aflatoxin B(1) on lipid peroxidation in rat liver and kidney: effect of picroliv and silymarin
Division of Biochemistry, Central Drug Research Institute, Lucknow-226 001, India
Phytother Res 15:307-10. 2001
..p) -toxicated rats, while drug (picroliv and silymarin both) treatment reversed the condition to near normal levels. The effects of picroliv and silymarin were comparable...
- Deficiency of αB crystallin augments ER stress-induced apoptosis by enhancing mitochondrial dysfunction
Arnold and Beckman Macular Research Center, Doheny Eye Institute, 1355 San Pablo Street, Los Angeles, CA 90033, USA
Free Radic Biol Med 53:1111-22. 2012
..Thus, these data collectively demonstrate that αB crystallin provides critical protection of mitochondrial function during ER stress-induced RPE apoptosis...
- Cinnamic acid inhibits proliferation and modulates brush border membrane enzyme activities in Caco-2 cells
Department of Medical Physiology, University of Vienna Medical School, Austria
Cancer Lett 128:137-44. 1998
..Intracellular cAMP levels were decreased significantly after 1 h of treatment with 8.0 mM cinnamic acid, suggesting that cinnamic acid induces its effects on enzyme activities partly by modulating the cAMP signaling pathway...
- A pharmacoproteomic approach implicates eukaryotic elongation factor 2 kinase in ER stress-induced cell death
Department of Cell Biology, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA
Cell Death Differ 15:589-99. 2008
..Our work identifies eEF-2K as a new component of the ER stress response and underlines the utility of novel small molecules in discovering new cell biology...
- Synergistic apoptosis induction in leukemic cells by the phosphatase inhibitor salubrinal and proteasome inhibitors
Hannes C A Drexler
Department of Vascular Cell Biology, Max Planck Institute for Molecular Biomedicine, Muenster, Germany
PLoS ONE 4:e4161. 2009
- Isolation and characterization of novel benzoates, cinnamates, flavonoids, and lignans from Riesling wine and screening for antioxidant activity
, Schleinitzstrasse 20, DE-38106 Braunschweig, Germany
J Agric Food Chem 49:2788-98. 2001
..Structural elucidation of the newly isolated wine constituents is reported together with the determination of their antioxidant activity...
- Prunella vulgaris extract and rosmarinic acid suppress lipopolysaccharide-induced alteration in human gingival fibroblasts
Department of Medical Chemistry and Biochemistry, Faculty of Medicine and Dentistry, Hnevotinska 3, Palacky University, 775 15 Olomouc, Czech Republic
Toxicol In Vitro 23:386-92. 2009
..The effects of PVE and RA are presumably linked to their anti-inflammatory activities and thus use of PVE and RA may be relevant in modulating the inflammation process, including periodontal disease...
- Inactivation, complementation, and heterologous expression of encP, a novel bacterial phenylalanine ammonia-lyase gene
College of Pharmacy and the Department of Chemistry, University of Arizona, Tucson, Arizona 85721, USA
J Biol Chem 277:32505-9. 2002
- RNAi-mediated suppression of the phenylalanine ammonia-lyase gene in Salvia miltiorrhiza causes abnormal phenotypes and a reduction in rosmarinic acid biosynthesis
Key Laboratory of the Ministry of Education for Medicinal Resources and Natural Pharmaceutical Chemistry, National Engineering Laboratory for Resource Development of Endangered Crude Drugs in Northwest of China, Shaanxi Normal University, Xi an 710062, People s Republic of China
J Plant Res 124:183-92. 2011
..Our results indicate that PAL is very important for the synthesis of major water-soluble pharmaceutical ingredients within S. miltiorrhiza...
- Antioxidant and antimicrobial activities of rosemary extracts linked to their polyphenol composition
Instituto de Investigaciones Bioquimicas, Buenos Aires I I B B A CONICET, Universidad de Buenos Aires, Fundacion Instituto Leloir, Facultad de Ciencias Exactas y Naturales, Patricias Argentinas 435, Buenos Aires, 1405, Argentina
Free Radic Res 40:223-31. 2006
..From a practical point of view, rosemary extract may be a good candidate for functional foods as well as for pharmaceutical plant-based products...
- Rosmarinic acid failed to suppress hydrogen peroxide-mediated apoptosis but induced apoptosis of Jurkat cells which was suppressed by Bcl-2
Cell and Molecular Physiology Unit, Laboratory of Physiology, School of Medicine, University of Ioannina, 45110, Ioannina, Greece
Mol Cell Biochem 285:111-20. 2006
- Light and temperature regulated terpene biosynthesis: hepatoprotective monoterpene picroside accumulation in Picrorhiza kurrooa
Biotechnology Division, Institute of Himalayan Bioresource Technology CSIR, P O Box No 6, Palampur, 176061, Himachal Pradesh, India
Funct Integr Genomics 10:393-404. 2010
..Data suggested the important roles played by light and temperature in regulating pkhmgr and pkdxs, and the picrosides level in picrorhiza...
- Effect of rosmarinic acid on inhibition of gentamicin induced nephrotoxicity in rats
Razi Herbal Medicines Research Center, Lorestan University of Medical Sciences, Khorramabad, Iran
Tissue Cell 43:392-7. 2011
..05). In conclusion, RA alleviates GS nephrotoxicity via antioxidant activity, increase of renal GSH content and increase of renal antioxidant enzymes activity...
- Evolution of rosmarinic acid biosynthesis
Institut fur Pharmazeutische Biologie, Philipps Universitat Marburg, Marburg, Germany
Phytochemistry 70:1663-79. 2009
- Lipophilic caffeic acid derivatives protect cells against H2O2-Induced DNA damage by chelating intracellular labile iron
Laboratory of Biological Chemistry, School of Medicine, University of Ioannina, Ioannina, Greece
J Agric Food Chem 60:7873-9. 2012
- Evaluation of octyl p-methoxycinnamate included in liposomes and cyclodextrins in anti-solar preparations: preparations, characterizations and in vitro penetration studies
Mariana Sato de Souza de Bustamante Monteiro
Medicines Department, Federal University of Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Int J Nanomedicine 7:3045-58. 2012
..The inclusion of sunscreen molecules in different release systems, like liposomes (lipo) and cyclodextrins (CD) is therefore required...
- Changes in bioactive components related to the harvest time from the spicas of Prunella vulgaris
Institute of Chinese Medicinal Materials, Nanjing Agricultural University, Nanjing, China
Pharm Biol 50:1118-22. 2012
..vulgaris has been used as traditional medicine in China for over a hundred years. To our best knowledge, no study has been conducted to determine the influence of harvesting time on concentrations of bioactive compounds of P. vulgaris...
- A new sunscreen of the cinnamate class: synthesis and enzymatic hydrolysis evaluation of glyceryl esters of p-methoxycinnamic acid
Zaida Maria Faria de Freitas
Departamento de Medicamentos, Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro, CCS bloco K, 2 andar, Sala 50, Ilha do Fundao, CEP 21941 590, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Eur J Pharm Sci 25:67-72. 2005
..This finding suggests that this triacylglycerol can possibly have a longer retention time in the skin and consequently promote a more intense and effective antisolar action than the commercial sunscreen...
- Endoplasmic reticulum stress causes EBV lytic replication
Gwen Marie Taylor
Department of Pathology, University of Pittsburgh and Children s Hospital of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Blood 118:5528-39. 2011
..Microarray analysis identified candidate genes governing lytic replication in LCLs undergoing ER stress...
- Selective trans-cinnamic acid uptake impairs [Ca2+]cyt homeostasis and growth in Cucumis sativus L
Department of Horticulture, Huajiachi Campus, Zhejiang University, Hangzhou, People s Republic of China
J Chem Ecol 35:1471-7. 2009
..Taken together, these results suggest that [Ca(2+)](cyt) homeostatic disturbance is one of the primary triggers for trans-CA phytotoxicity in cucumber...
- Ethanol modulates the VR-1 variant amiloride-insensitive salt taste receptor. II. Effect on chorda tympani salt responses
Department of Physiology, Division of Nephrology, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, VA 23298, USA
J Gen Physiol 125:587-600. 2005
..VR-1 KO mice demonstrated no Bz-insensitive CT response to NaCl and no sensitivity to ethanol. We conclude that ethanol increases salt taste sensitivity by its direct action on the Bz-insensitive VR-1 variant salt taste receptor...
- Aerobic biotransformation of 4-fluorocinnamic acid to 4-fluorobenzoic acid
L M dos Santos
Environmental Research Laboratory, Analytical Sciences, SmithKline Beecham Pharmaceuticals, Harlow, UK
Biodegradation 12:23-9. 2001
..The removal of FCA up to 200 mg L(-1) followed first order kinetics. The half-lives for removal of FCA from the test solutions supplied with 200 mg L(-1), 100 mg L(-1), and 50 mg L(-1) were 53, 18, and 5 hours respectively...
- Synthesis, biological evaluation, and molecular modeling of cinnamic acyl sulfonamide derivatives as novel antitubulin agents
State Key Laboratory of Pharmaceutical Biotechnology, Nanjing University, Nanjing 210093, People s Republic of China
Bioorg Med Chem 19:4730-8. 2011
..Based on the preliminary results, compound 10c with potent inhibitory activity in tumor growth may be a potential anticancer agent...
- Salubrinal promotes healing of surgical wounds in rat femurs
Department of Biomedical Engineering, Indiana University Purdue University Indianapolis, SL220, 723 West Michigan Street, Indianapolis, IN, 46202, USA
J Bone Miner Metab 30:568-79. 2012
..In summary, the results herein demonstrate that subcutaneous administration of salubrinal accelerates healing of surgically generated bone holes through the modulation of eIF2α phosphorylation...
- Biodegradable polymer nanocapsules containing a sunscreen agent: preparation and photoprotection
Centre interuniversitaire de recherche et d enseignement, Pharmapeptides, Universities of Geneva and Lyon, 74166 Archamps, France
Eur J Pharm Biopharm 52:191-5. 2001
..The OMC-nanocapsules provided partial protection against UV-induced erythema, in a manner significantly better than a conventional gel...
- Cell growth inhibitory effect of cinnamic acid derivatives from propolis on human tumor cell lines
Gifu International Institute of Biotechnology, Kakamigahara, Japan
Biol Pharm Bull 26:1057-9. 2003
..Importantly, HL60 cells were more sensitive to drupanin than were Con A-stimulated peripheral blood lymphocytes, whereas the potency of artepillin C was the opposite of that of drupanin...
- Effect of rosmarinic acid on experimental diabetic nephropathy
Wang Lin Jiang
School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Binzhou Medical University, Yantai, China
Basic Clin Pharmacol Toxicol 110:390-5. 2012
..These results suggest that RA exerts an early renal protective role to DN. Inhibition of CTGF may be a potential target in DN therapy, which highlights the possibility of using RA in the treatment of DN...
- Antileishmanial efficacy of fluconazole and miltefosine in combination with an immunomodulator--picroliv
Division of Parasitology, Central Drug Research Institute CSIR, Chattar Manzil Palace, M G Road, Lucknow, 226001, Uttar Pradesh, India
Parasitol Res 108:793-800. 2011
..Upregulation of cell-mediated immunity was also observed in animals of this group which strengthens the immunomodulatory role of picroliv. These findings suggest a new option for antileishmanial chemotherapy at lower cost and toxicity...
- Complete biodegradation of 4-fluorocinnamic acid by a consortium comprising Arthrobacter sp. strain G1 and Ralstonia sp. strain H1
Syed A Hasan
Department of Biochemistry, Groningen Biomolecular Sciences and Biotechnology Institute, University of Groningen, Nijenborgh 4, 9747 AG Groningen, Netherlands
Appl Environ Microbiol 77:572-9. 2011
..Degradation of 4-fluorobenzoic acid by strain H1 proceeded via 4-fluorocatechol, which was converted by an ortho-cleavage pathway...
- Anti-inflammatory and chemopreventive effects of triterpene cinnamates and acetates from shea fat
College of Science and Technology, Nihon University, 1 8 Kanda Surugadai, Chiyoda ku, Tokyo 1001 8308, Japan
J Oleo Sci 59:273-80. 2010
..acetate (1a), beta-amyrin acetate (2a), lupeol acetate (3a), and butyrospermol acetate (4a), and four triterpene cinnamates, alpha-amyrin cinnamate (1c), beta-amyrin cinnamate (2c), lupeol cinnamate (3c), and butyrospermol cinnamate (4c)..
- The peptidomimetic, 1-adamantyl-substituted, and flex-het classes of retinoid-derived molecules: structure-activity relationships and retinoid receptor-independent anticancer activities
Marcia I Dawson
Sanford Burnham Medical Research Institute, 10901 North Torrey Pines Road, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
Mini Rev Med Chem 10:455-91. 2010
..Structure-activity relationships and potential for clinical translation as anticancer therapeutics are presented...
- Effect of altitude on picroside content in core collections of Picrorhiza kurrooa from the north western Himalayas
Biotechnology Department, Indian Institute of Integrative Medicine, Jammu, India
J Nat Med 65:578-82. 2011
..The study concludes that picroside I and II accumulation depends on altitude, which could help in the selection and collection of superior genotypes with uniform effects for utilization by the pharmaceutical industry...
- Epigenetic regulation of cardiac muscle-specific genes in H9c2 cells by Interleukin-18 and histone deacetylase inhibitor m-carboxycinnamic acid bis-hydroxamide
Department of Pharmacology, University of Tennessee Health Science Center, Memphis, TN 38163, USA
Mol Cell Biochem 312:47-60. 2008
- Comparative studies of the influence of cyclodextrins on the stability of the sunscreen agent, 2-ethylhexyl-p-methoxycinnamate
Dipartimento di Scienze Farmaceutiche, Universita di Ferrara, via Fossato di Mortara 17, 44100, Ferrara, Italy
J Pharm Biomed Anal 30:1181-9. 2002
..Therefore, the complex of beta-CD with trans-EHMC enhances the chemical- and photo-stability of the sunscreen agent. Moreover, it limits adverse interactions of the UV filter with other formulation ingredients...
- Panhistone deacetylase inhibitors inhibit proinflammatory signaling pathways to ameliorate interleukin-18-induced cardiac hypertrophy
Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Center, University of Tennessee Health Science Center, Memphis, TN 38104, USA
Physiol Genomics 43:1319-33. 2011
..Evidently, both TSA and CBHA caused a two- to fourfold induction of phosphatase and tensin homolog expression to counteract IL-18-induced proinflammatory signaling and cardiac hypertrophy...
- Salubrinal attenuates β-amyloid-induced neuronal death and microglial activation by inhibition of the NF-κB pathway
Fujian Provincial Key Laboratory of Neurodegenerative Disease and Aging Research, College of Medicine, Xiamen University, Xiamen, Fujian, China
Neurobiol Aging 33:1007.e9-17. 2012
..This study also suggests that modulation of Aβ-induced NF-κB activation could be a potential therapeutic strategy for Alzheimer's disease...
- Picroliv modulates antioxidant status and down-regulates AP1 transcription factor after hemorrhage and resuscitation
Center for Combat Casualty Care and Life Sustainment Research, Department of Pathology, Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, Bethesda, Maryland, 20814, USA
Shock 19:169-75. 2003
..These findings suggest that picroliv has the potential to be developed as a protective agent against H/R injury...
- Osteoporosis regulation by salubrinal through eIF2α mediated differentiation of osteoclast and osteoblast
Korea Research Institute of Bioscience and Biotechnology KRIBB, Korea
Cell Signal 25:552-60. 2013
..In addition, modulation of ATF4 and NFATc1 expressions through eIF2α phosphorylation could be a valuable target for the treatment of osteoporosis...
- Influence of Transcutol CG on the skin accumulation and transdermal permeation of ultraviolet absorbers
Donald A Godwin
University of New Mexico Health Sciences Center, College of Pharmacy, 2502 Marble NE, Albuquerque, NM 87131, USA
Eur J Pharm Biopharm 53:23-7. 2002
..The results of this study demonstrate that the inclusion of Transcutol CG in sunscreen formulations increases the skin accumulation of the UV absorbers oxybenzone and cinnamate without a concomitant increase in transdermal permeation...
- Identification and effects of interaction phytotoxic compounds from exudate of Cistus ladanifer leaves
Department of Ecology, Faculty of Science, University of Extremadura, 06080 Badajoz, Spain
J Chem Ecol 27:611-21. 2001
..When hydroxycinnamic acid and cinnamic acid were added to these mixtures there was an enhancement in the phytotoxic activity, accentuating the effect of the other allelochemicals...
- Picroliv, the iridoid glycoside fraction of Picrorhiza kurroa, selectively augments human T cell response to mycobacterial protein antigens
Division of Membrane Biology, Central Drug Research Institute, Lucknow, India
Immunopharmacol Immunotoxicol 20:579-88. 1998
..The selective, antigen specific augmentation of human T cell response suggests that Picroliv could be useful as an adjunct to chemotherapy or as a short term prophylactic agent...
- Antioxidant activities and phenolic composition of extracts from Greek oregano, Greek sage, and summer savory
Section of Organic Chemistry and Biochemistry, Department of Chemistry, University of Ioannina, Ioannina GR 45110, Greece
J Agric Food Chem 50:5294-9. 2002
..This deshielding may be attributed to the strong intramolecular six-membered ring hydrogen bond of the OH(5)...CO(4) moiety...
- In vitro and in vivo antifibrotic effects of rosmarinic acid on experimental liver fibrosis
Gui Sheng Li
School of Pharmacy, Yantai University, 32 Qingquan Road, Laishan District, Yantai 264003, PR China
Phytomedicine 17:282-8. 2010
..These findings suggest that RA has potentially conferring antifibrogenic effects...
- Antiviral and anti-inflammatory effects of rosmarinic acid in an experimental murine model of Japanese encephalitis
National Brain Research Centre, Manesar, Haryana 122050, India
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 51:3367-70. 2007
..001) and proinflammatory cytokine levels (P < 0.001) were observed in JEV-infected animals treated with RA compared to levels in infected mice without treatment, at 8 to 9 days postinfection...
- Inhibitory effect of picroside II on hepatocyte apoptosis
College of Chemistry and Molecular Engineering, Peking University, Beijing 100871, China
Acta Pharmacol Sin 26:729-36. 2005
..To investigate the influence of picroside II on hepatocyte apoptosis and its mechanism...
- Plant growth inhibition by cis-cinnamoyl glucosides and cis-cinnamic acid
Department of Biological Safety Science, National Institute for Agro Environmental Sciences, Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305 8604, Japan
J Chem Ecol 31:591-601. 2005
..These findings indicate a potential role of cis-CA and its glucosides as allelochemicals for use as plant growth regulators in agricultural fields...
- Rosmarinic acid inhibits epidermal inflammatory responses: anticarcinogenic effect of Perilla frutescens extract in the murine two-stage skin model
Health and Bioscience Laboratories, Meiji Seika Kaisha Ltd, 5 3 1, Chiyoda Sakado 350 0289, Japan
Carcinogenesis 25:549-57. 2004
..Thus, we conclude that part of the anticarcinogenic effects of P.frutescens extract is due to RA via two independent mechanisms: inhibition of the inflammatory response and scavenging of reactive oxygen radicals...
- Water extract of propolis and its main constituents, caffeoylquinic acid derivatives, exert neuroprotective effects via antioxidant actions
Department of Biofunctional Molecules, Gifu Pharmaceutical University, 5 6 1 Mitahora Higashi, Gifu 502 8585, Japan
Life Sci 80:370-7. 2007
..These findings indicate that WEP and caffeoylquinic acid derivatives have neuroprotective effects against retinal damage in vitro, and that these effects may be partly mediated via antioxidant effects...
- Activation of TRPV1 contributes to morphine tolerance: involvement of the mitogen-activated protein kinase signaling pathway
Department of Neurology, University of Wurzburg, 97080 Wurzburg, Germany
J Neurosci 28:5836-45. 2008
..Thus, blocking TRPV1 might be a way to reduce morphine tolerance...
- Cinnamic acid-inhibited ribulose-1,5-bisphosphate carboxylase activity is mediated through decreased spermine and changes in the ratio of polyamines in cowpea
Key Laboratory of Horticultural Plant Biology, College of Horticulture and Forestry, Huazhong Agricultural University, Wuhan 430070, China
J Plant Physiol 167:47-53. 2010
..These results suggest that 0.1 mM CA inhibits RuBPC activity by decreasing the levels of endogenous free and perchloric acid soluble (PS) conjugated Spm, as well as the PAs ratio...
- Optimization of rosmarinic acid production by Lavandula vera MM plant cell suspension in a laboratory bioreactor
Atanas I Pavlov
Department of Microbial Biosynthesis and Biotechnologies, Laboratory in Plovdiv, Institute of Microbiology, Bulgarian Academy of Sciences, 26 Maritza Blvd, 4002 Plovdiv, Bulgaria
Biotechnol Prog 21:394-6. 2005
..9 degrees C, where maximal yield (Y(max)) of 3489.4 mg/L of rosmarinic acid was achieved (2 times higher compared with the shake-flasks cultivation)...
- Rosmarinic acid induces melanogenesis through protein kinase A activation signaling
Biospectrum Life Science Institute, SK Ventium 101 701, Dangjung Dong, Gunpo City, 436 776 Kyunggi do, Republic of Korea
Biochem Pharmacol 74:960-8. 2007
..Rosmarinic acid-induced expression of tyrosinase protein was attenuated by H-89. Based on these results, we report for the first time that rosmarinic acid induces melanogenesis through PKA activation signaling...
- Rosmarinic acid and caffeic acid produce antidepressive-like effect in the forced swimming test in mice
Department of Pharmacology and Intractable Diseases Research Center Division of Drug Research and Devlopment, Tokyo Medical University, 6 1 1 Shinjuku, Shinjuku ku, 160 8402, Tokyo, Japan
Eur J Pharmacol 449:261-7. 2002
..These results suggest that both caffeic acid and rosmarinic acid may produce antidepressive-like activity via some mechanism(s) other than the inhibition of monoamine transporters and monoamine oxidase...
- Pronociceptive response elicited by TRPA1 receptor activation in mice
E L Andrade
Department of Pharmacology, Federal University of Santa Catarina, CCB, Campus Universitario Trindade, 88049 900, Florianopolis, SC, Brazil
Neuroscience 152:511-20. 2008
..Thus, the TRPA1 receptor has an apparently relevant role in nociceptive processes and the selective TRPA1 antagonist might possess a potential antinociceptive property...
- Pharmacokinetics, tissue distribution, metabolism, and excretion of depside salts from Salvia miltiorrhiza in rats
State Key Laboratory of Drug Research, Shanghai Institute of Materia Medica, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Shanghai, China
Drug Metab Dispos 35:234-9. 2007
..Overall, the results show that depside salts from S. miltiorrhiza are rapidly and widely distributed to tissues after intravenous administration in rats but that they are also rapidly cleared and excreted...
- The spice sage and its active ingredient rosmarinic acid protect PC12 cells from amyloid-beta peptide-induced neurotoxicity
Department of Experimental Pharmacology, University of Naples Federico II, via D Montesano 49, 80131 Naples, Italy
J Pharmacol Exp Ther 317:1143-9. 2006
..Rosmarinic acid could contribute, at least in part, for sage-induced neuroprotective effect...
- Modulation of carcinogenic response and antioxidant enzymes of rats administered with 1,2-dimethylhydrazine by Picroliv
N V Rajeshkumar
Amala Cancer Research Centre, Thrissur, Kerala 680 553, India
Cancer Lett 191:137-43. 2003
..Picroliv treated liver resembled normal liver except the presence of a few degenerating cells. Renal anatomy was not altered by DMH administration...
- Lithospermic acid B is more responsive to silver ions (Ag+) than rosmarinic acid in Salvia miltiorrhiza hairy root cultures
Department of Pharmacy, Changzheng Hospital, Second Military Medical University, Shanghai 200003, People s Republic of China
Biosci Rep 30:33-40. 2010
..Further intermediate monitoring and compound feeding experiments were performed to rank the strength of this hypothesis. Our study, for the first time, provides evidence that RA is a precursor leading to LAB synthesis...
- A role for phospholipase A2 activity in membrane tubule formation and TGN trafficking
John A Schmidt
Department of Molecular Biology and Genetics, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853, USA
Traffic 11:1530-6. 2010
..Thus, PLA(2) enzymes appear to have an important role in the earliest steps of membrane tubule formation at the TGN, which are utilized for membrane trafficking...
- Rosmarinic acid protects human dopaminergic neuronal cells against hydrogen peroxide-induced apoptosis
Hyo Jung Lee
Department of Biotechnology BK21 Program, Chosun University, Gwangju 501 759, Republic of Korea
Toxicology 250:109-15. 2008
..These results suggest that RA can protect SH-SY5Y cells under oxidative stress conditions by regulating apoptotic process. Thus, RA should be clinically evaluated for the prevention of neurodegenerative diseases...
- Membrane tubule-mediated reassembly and maintenance of the Golgi complex is disrupted by phospholipase A2 antagonists
P de Figueiredo
Section of Biochemistry, Molecular, and Cell Biology, Cornell University, Ithaca, New York 14853, USA
Mol Biol Cell 10:1763-82. 1999
..In addition, they implicate a role for cytoplasmic PLA2 enzymes in mediating these membrane trafficking events...
- Antiapoptotic and antioxidant effects of rosmarinic acid in astrocytes
L P Gao
School of Life Sciences, Lanzhou University, Lanzhou Medical College, P R China
Pharmazie 60:62-5. 2005
..Results clearly show that RA was able to attenuate H2O2-induced cell injury by its antiapoptotic and antioxidant activity...
- Rosmarinic acid, a new snake venom phospholipase A2 inhibitor from Cordia verbenacea (Boraginaceae): antiserum action potentiation and molecular interaction
Fabio K Ticli
Departamento de Analises Clinicas, Toxicologicas e Bromatologicas, FCFRP, Universidade de Sao Paulo, USP, Ribeirao Preto SP, Brazil
Toxicon 46:318-27. 2005
..CD data presented here suggest that, after binding, no significant conformation changes occur either in the Cv-RA or in the target PLA2. A possible model for the interaction of rosmarinic acid with Lys49-PLA2 BthTX-I is proposed...
- Beneficial effects of rosmarinic acid on suppression of collagen induced arthritis
Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology and Institute of Biomedical Science, College of Medicine, Hanyang University, Seoul, Korea
J Rheumatol 30:1203-7. 2003
..To assess the therapeutic potential of rosmarinic acid (RosA) in an inflammatory autoimmune arthritis model...
- Modification of cysteine residue in p65 subunit of nuclear factor-kappaB (NF-kappaB) by picroliv suppresses NF-kappaB-regulated gene products and potentiates apoptosis
Department of Experimental Therapeutics, Cytokine Research Laboratory, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Cancer Res 68:8861-70. 2008
..Suppression of these proteins enhanced apoptosis induced by TNF. Overall, our results show that picroliv inhibits the NF-kappaB activation pathway, which may explain its anti-inflammatory and anticarcinogenic effects...
- Influence of encapsulation on the in vitro percutaneous absorption of octyl methoxycinnamate
M M Jimenez
Laboratory of Dermopharmacy and Cosmetology, School of Pharmacy, Claude Bernard Lyon I University, 69373 Lyon Cedex 08, France
Int J Pharm 272:45-55. 2004
..The crystallinity of the polymer have the ability of reflecting and scattering UV radiation on their own thus leading to photoprotection without the need for molecular sunscreens...
- High efficiency poplar transformation
Leland J Cseke
Department of Biological Sciences, The University of Alabama in Huntsville, 142 Wilson Hall, Huntsville, AL 35899, USA
Plant Cell Rep 26:1529-38. 2007
..Likewise, the fact that the protocols are amenable to high-throughput formats makes them better suited for large-scale functional genomics studies in poplars...
- In vitro and in vivo estrogenicity of UV screens
Institute of Pharmacology and Toxicology, University of Zurich, Winterthurerstrasse 190, CH 8057 Zurich, Switzerland
Environ Health Perspect 109:239-44. 2001
..5% in olive oil. Our findings indicate that UV screens should be tested for endocrine activity, in view of possible long-term effects in humans and wildlife...
- Photoprotective properties of Prunella vulgaris and rosmarinic acid on human keratinocytes
Institute of Medical Chemistry and Biochemistry, Faculty of Medicine, Palacky University, Hnevotinska 3, 775 15 Olomouc, Czech Republic
J Photochem Photobiol B 84:167-74. 2006
..These results suggest that P. vulgaris and RA, used in skin care cosmetics, may offer protection against UVA-induced oxidative stress and may be beneficial as a supplement in photoprotective dermatological preparations...
- Production and optimisation of rosmarinic acid by Satureja hortensis L. callus cultures
Cumhuriyet University, Department of Molecular Biology and Genetics, 58140 Sivas, Turkey
Nat Prod Res 21:1133-44. 2007
..0% (w/v) sucrose. According to the experiments carried out with the wild S. hortensis, it is found to have 25.02+/-1.21 mg g(-1) rosmarinic acid. No differentiation was observed in any callus during the course of this study...
- Ethanol modulates the VR-1 variant amiloride-insensitive salt taste receptor. I. Effect on TRC volume and Na+ flux
Department of Physiology, Division of Nephrology, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, VA 23298, USA
J Gen Physiol 125:569-85. 2005
..We conclude that in the presence of mineral salts, ethanol modulates the Bz-insensitive VR-1 variant salt taste receptor...
- Establishment of Salvia officinalis L. hairy root cultures for the production of rosmarinic acid
Department of Biology and Pharmaceutical Botany, Medical University of Lodz, Muszynskiego 1, 90 151 Lodz, Poland
Z Naturforsch C 61:351-6. 2006
..The level was significantly higher than that found in untransformed root culture (19 mg g(-10 of dry wt)...
- Structure-activity relationship studies of salubrinal lead to its active biotinylated derivative
State Key Laboratory of Bioorganic and Natural Products Chemistry, Shanghai Institute of Organic Chemistry, Chinese Academy of Sciences, 354 Fenglin Road, Shanghai 200032, China
Bioorg Med Chem Lett 15:3849-52. 2005
..Based on the SAR results, salubrinal was converted into a biotinylated derivative which retains activity and can be used as a biological tool for target identification...
- Transepithelial transport of rosmarinic acid in intestinal Caco-2 cell monolayers
Applied Bioresearch Center, Research and Development Department, Kirin Brewery Co, Ltd, Gunma, Japan
Biosci Biotechnol Biochem 69:583-91. 2005
..The potential of orally administered RA in vivo will be further investigated...
- Rosmarinic acid down-regulates the LPS-induced production of monocyte chemoattractant protein-1 (MCP-1) and macrophage inflammatory protein-1alpha (MIP-1alpha) via the MAPK pathway in bone-marrow derived dendritic cells
Hyung Keun Kim
Department of Orthopaedics, Chonnam National University, Hwasun Hospital, Chonnam 519 809, Korea
Mol Cells 26:583-9. 2008
- Antimutagenicity of rosmarinic acid in Swiss mice evaluated by the micronucleus assay
Michelle Andrade Furtado
Universidade de Franca, Avenida Dr Armando Salles de Oliveira, 201 Parque Universitário, 14404 600, Franca, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Mutat Res 657:150-4. 2008
..Although the mechanisms underlying the protective effect of RA are not completely understood, the putative antioxidant activity of RA might explain its effect on DXR mutagenicity...
- Synergistic immunosuppressive effects of rosmarinic acid and rapamycin in vitro and in vivo
Su Young Yun
Signal Transduction Laboratory, Mogam Biotechnology Research Institute, Gyonggido, Korea
Transplantation 75:1758-60. 2003
..In this study, we evaluated the ability of RosA alone and in conjunction with currently used immunosuppressive drugs to inhibit in vitro splenic T-cell proliferation and prolong skin graft survival in vivo...
- Orally administered rosmarinic acid is present as the conjugated and/or methylated forms in plasma, and is degraded and metabolized to conjugated forms of caffeic acid, ferulic acid and m-coumaric acid
Nutritional Science Center, Health and Bioscience Laboratories, Meiji Seika Kaisha, Ltd, 5 3 1, Chiyoda, Sakado shi, Saitama 350 0289, Japan
Life Sci 75:165-78. 2004
- Synergistic protective effect of picroside II and NGF on PC12 cells against oxidative stress induced by H2O2
State Key Laboratory of Bioreactor Engineering and School of Pharmacy, East China University of Science and Technology, Shanghai 200237, PR China
Pharmacol Rep 59:573-9. 2007
..Such action supports the therapeutic potential of picroside II and NGF in treating nervous disorders based on their synergistic effect...
- The neuroprotective effect of picroside II from hu-huang-lian against oxidative stress
The State Key Laboratory of Bioreactor Engineering, School of Pharmacy, East China University of Science and Technology, China
Am J Chin Med 35:681-91. 2007
..All these results indicated that picroside II possessed the therapeutic potential in protecting against neurological injuries damaged by oxidative stress...
- Effects of rosmarinic acid against aflatoxin B1 and ochratoxin-A-induced cell damage in a human hepatoma cell line (Hep G2)
Department of Pharmacology, University of Bologna, Via Irnerio 48, 40126 Bologna, Italy
J Appl Toxicol 24:289-96. 2004
..Similarly, apoptosis cell death was prevented, as demonstrated by reduction of DNA fragmentation and inhibition of caspase-3 activation (P < 0.001)...
- Monitoring 2-ethylhexyl-4-methoxycinnamate photoisomerization on skin using attenuated total reflection fourier transform infrared spectroscopy
Sensor Research Unit, Department of Chemistry, Faculty of Science, Chulalongkorn University, Bangkok, Thailand
Appl Spectrosc 61:193-8. 2007
..No photodimerization was detected even at the extreme EHMC coverage of 4.0 mg/cm(2) after a UVB exposure of 0.90 J/cm(2)...
- Picrosides I and II, selective enhancers of the mitogen-activated protein kinase-dependent signaling pathway in the action of neuritogenic substances on PC12D cells
Department of Pharmaceutical Molecular Biology, Graduate School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Tohoku University, Aoba, Aramaki, Aoba ku, Sendai 980 8578, Japan
Life Sci 71:1821-35. 2002
..Picrosides I and II may become selective pharmacological tools for studying the MAP kinase-dependent signaling pathway in outgrowth of neurites induced by many kinds of neuritogenic substances including bFGF...
- A novel vanilloid receptor-1 (VR-1) variant mammalian salt taste receptor
Department of Physiology, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, VA 23298 0551, USA
Chem Senses 30:i42-3. 2005