Genomes and Genes
Summary: A potent local anesthetic of the ester type used for surface and spinal anesthesia.
Publications193 found, 100 shown here
- Topical anesthetics in children: agents and techniques that equally comfort patients, parents, and cliniciansB K Chen
Pediatric and Adolescent Dermatology Children's Hospital, San Diego, and University of California, San Diego School of Medicine, San Diego, California, USA
Curr Opin Pediatr 13:324-30. 2001..Amethocaine, tetracaine, iontophoresis, and the S-caine patch, a product on the horizon for use in the pediatric population, also are ..
- The anesthetic effectiveness of lidocaine-adrenaline-tetracaine gel on finger lacerationsNicholas J White
Department of Pediatrics, Division of Pediatric Emergency Medicine, Eastern Virginia Medical School, Children s Hospital of the King s Daughters, Norfolk, VA 23507, USA
Pediatr Emerg Care 20:812-5. 2004To determine the effectiveness of lidocaine-adrenaline-tetracaine (LAT) in providing adequate anesthesia for the repair of finger lacerations and to monitor the risk of digital ischemia following application of LAT gel to finger ..
- Randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study evaluating the lidocaine/tetracaine patch for induction of local anesthesia prior to minor dermatologic procedures in geriatric patientsAmy K Schecter
Department of Dermatology, Brown Medical School, Providence, Rhode Island, USA
Dermatol Surg 31:287-91. 2005..Topical anesthetics offer a noninvasive method of anesthesia...
- Mechanical characterization and drug permeation properties of tetracaine-loaded bioadhesive films for percutaneous local anesthesiaG P Moss
School of Pharmacy and Biomedical Sciences, St Michael s Building, University of Portsmouth, White Swan Road, Portsmouth, PO1 2DT, UK
Drug Dev Ind Pharm 32:163-74. 2006..b>Tetracaine was found to plasticize films and while this effect was weak, it was significant both statistically and ..
- Tetracaine hydrochloride 0.5% versus lidocaine 2% jelly as a topical anesthetic agent in cataract surgery: comparative clinical trialHoward Amiel
J Cataract Refract Surg 33:98-100. 2007To assess the anesthetic efficacy of tetracaine hydrochloride 0.5% (TetraVisc) versus lidocaine 2% jelly in routine cataract extraction.
- Effects of tetracaine on voltage-activated calcium sparks in frog intact skeletal muscle fibersStephen Hollingworth
Department of Physiology, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, 19104, USA
J Gen Physiol 127:291-307. 2006..greater than one channel per spark, sparks were measured in 8 mM [K(+)] Ringer's in the absence and presence of tetracaine, an inhibitor of RyR channel openings in bilayers...
- Three independent mechanisms contribute to tetracaine inhibition of cardiac calcium release channelsDerek R Laver
School of Biomedical Sciences and Pharmacy, University of Newcastle and Hunter Medical Research Institute, Callaghan, NSW 2308, Australia
J Mol Cell Cardiol 51:357-69. 2011b>Tetracaine is a tertiary amine local anaesthetic which inhibits ryanodine receptors (RyRs), the calcium release channels of the sarcoplasmic reticulum (SR)...
- Toxicity of local anaestheticsB Cox
Department of Anesthesiology, University Hospital Maastricht, PO Box 5800, 6202 AZ Maastricht, The Netherlands
Best Pract Res Clin Anaesthesiol 17:111-36. 2003..2 to 0.01%. Peripheral nerve blocks are associated with the highest incidence of systemic toxicity (7.5 per 10,000) and the lowest incidence of serious neural injury (1.9 per 10,000)...
- Tetracaine topical anesthesia for myringotomyR A Hoffman
Department of Otolaryngology/Head and Neck Surgery, Beth Israel Medical Center, New York, NY 10003, USA
Laryngoscope 111:1636-8. 2001OBJECTIVES/HYPOTHESIS: To study the efficacy and safety of topical tetracaine anesthesia for office myringotomy and myringotomy with a tube...
- Selective effect of procaine, tetracaine and dibucaine on gold nanoparticlesAurora Mocanu
Faculty of Chemistry and Chemical Engineering, Physical Chemistry Department, Babes Bolyai University of Cluj Napoca, 400028 Cluj Napoca, Romania
J Nanosci Nanotechnol 12:8935-9. 2012..by reduction of gold(III) chloride and its interaction with three local anesthetics (procaine, dibucaine or tetracaine) was investigated...
- Toxicities of topical ophthalmic anestheticsHall T McGee
Oregon Health and Science University, Casey Eye Institute, 3375 SW Terwilliger Blvd, Portland, OR 97239 4197, USA
Expert Opin Drug Saf 6:637-40. 2007..The most commonly used drugs today are proparacaine, tetracaine, benoxinate (oxybuprocaine) cocaine and lidocaine...
- A randomized controlled trial evaluating the efficacy of tetracaine gel for pain relief from peripherally inserted central catheters in infantsMarilyn Ballantyne
The Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Adv Neonatal Care 3:297-307. 2003..b>Tetracaine 4% gel (Ametop; Smith & Nephew Inc, St...
- Effects of tetracaine on sarcoplasmic calcium release in mammalian skeletal muscle fibresL Csernoch
Department of Physiology, University Medical School Debrecen, Hungary
J Physiol 515:843-57. 1999..coupling were studied under voltage clamp conditions in the presence and absence of the local anaesthetic tetracaine. 2...
- Cocaine versus tetracaine in septoplasty: a prospective, randomized, controlled trialE I Drivas
Department of Otolaryngology, School of Medicine, University of Crete, Heraklion, Crete, Greece
J Laryngol Otol 121:130-3. 2007..The aim of this study was to evaluate the efficacy of cocaine 4 per cent solution, compared with tetracaine 2 per cent plus adrenaline, as a local anaesthetic for patients undergoing septoplasty.
- Heated lidocaine/tetracaine patch (Synera, Rapydan) compared with lidocaine/prilocaine cream (EMLA) for topical anaesthesia before vascular accessJ Sawyer
Prism Ideas Ltd, Regent House Princes Court, Beam Heath Way, Nantwich, Chesire CW5 7PQ, UK
Br J Anaesth 102:210-5. 2009We compared the lidocaine/tetracaine patch [Synera (USA), Rapydan (Europe)], a novel heat-aided patch using a eutectic mixture of lidocaine 70 mg and tetracaine 70 mg, with a eutectic mixture of lidocaine 25 mg ml(-1) and prilocaine 25 mg ..
- Involvement of the mitogen-activated protein kinase family in tetracaine-induced PC12 cell deathZhiming Tan
Departments of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine
Anesthesiology 96:1191-201. 2002....
- Lidocaine/tetracaine medicated plaster: in minor dermatological and needle puncture proceduresJamie D Croxtall
Adis, a Wolters Kluwer Business, Auckland, New Zealand
Drugs 70:2113-20. 2010The lidocaine/tetracaine medicated plaster comprises a lidocaine/tetracaine 70 mg/70 mg patch and a controlled heat-assisted drug delivery pod that increases the diffusion of lidocaine and tetracaine into the dermis...
- Agonist-induced phasic and tonic responses in smooth muscle are mediated by InsP(3)John G McCarron
Neuroscience and Biomedical Systems, Institute of Biomedical and Life Sciences, West Medical Building, University of Glasgow, G12 8QQ, UK
J Cell Sci 115:2207-18. 2002..Thus depletion of the store by RyR activators abolished the InsP(3)-evoked Ca2+ transient. RyR inhibition (by tetracaine) reduced only STOCs but not the InsP(3) transient. InsP(3) contributes to both phasic and tonic contractions...
- Sarcoplasmic reticulum calcium load regulates rat arterial smooth muscle calcium sparks and transient K(Ca) currentsSerguei Y Cheranov
Department of Physiology, University of Tennessee Health Science Center, Memphis 38163, USA
J Physiol 544:71-84. 2002..Ca(2+)-ATPase with an anti-phospholamban monoclonal antibody, or (ii) blocking Ca(2+) release from the SR with tetracaine, a membrane-permeant, reversible ryanodine-sensitive Ca(2+) release (RyR) channel blocker...
- How effective is tetracaine 4% gel, before a venipuncture, in reducing procedural pain in infants: a randomized double-blind placebo controlled trialBrigitte Lemyre
Department of Pediatrics, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Canada
BMC Pediatr 7:7. 2007Procedural pain relief is sub-optimal in neonates. Topical tetracaine provides pain relief in children. Evidence of its efficacy and safety in neonates is limited...
- The addition of phenylephrine contributes to the development of transient neurologic symptoms after spinal anesthesia with 0.5% tetracaineS Sakura
Department of Anesthesiology, Shimane Medical University, Izumo, Japan
Anesthesiology 87:771-8. 1997..Information regarding tetracaine has been limited to a single case report...
- A study on the influence of emulsion droplet size on the skin penetration of tetracaineP Izquierdo
Departament de Tecnologia de Tensioactius, Institut d Investigacions Quimiques i Ambientals de Barcelona, CSIC, Barcelona, Spain
Skin Pharmacol Physiol 20:263-70. 2007The influence of emulsion droplet size on the skin penetration of a model drug, tetracaine, was studied...
- [Topical anesthesia before vascular access in children. Comparison of a warmth-producing lidocaine-tetracaine patch with a lidocaine-prilocaine patch]S Soltesz
Klinik für Anästhesie und Operative Intensivmedizin, Klinikum Leverkusen gGmbH, Am Gesundheitspark 11, 51375 Leverkusen, Deutschland
Anaesthesist 59:519-23. 2010..This study compared the effect of a new heated topical anesthesia delivery system containing lidocaine and tetracaine (Rapydan) with the lidocaine/prilocaine patch EMLA.
- Randomised controlled trial on the effectiveness of lidocaine gel vs tetracaine drops as the sole topical anaesthetic agent for primary pterygium surgeryA L Young
Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, New Territories, Hong Kong
Eye (Lond) 23:1518-23. 2009..To determine the effectiveness of lidocaine 2% gel vstetracaine 1% drops in primary pterygium surgery...
- Modification of smooth muscle Ca2+-sparks by tetracaine: evidence for sequential RyR activationTim M Curtis
Centre for Vision Science, School of Biomedical Science, Queen s University of Belfast, Institute of Clinical Science, Royal Victoria Hospital, Belfast, UK
Cell Calcium 43:142-54. 2008Spontaneous Ca(2+)-sparks were imaged using confocal line scans of fluo-4 loaded myocytes in retinal arterioles. Tetracaine produced concentration-dependent decreases in spark frequency, and modified the spatiotemporal characteristics of ..
- Calcium waves induced by hypertonic solutions in intact frog skeletal muscle fibresS Chawla
Physiological Laboratory, Department of Anatomy, University of Cambridge, Cambridge CB2 3EG, UK
J Physiol 536:351-9. 2001..3. The waves were blocked by the ryanodine receptor (RyR)-specific agents ryanodine and tetracaine, and potentiated by caffeine. 4...
- Dual effects of tetracaine on spontaneous calcium release in rat ventricular myocytesS Gyorke
Department of Physiology, Texas Tech University Health Science Center, Lubbock 79430, USA
J Physiol 500:297-309. 19971. Confocal microfluorometry was used to study the effects of tetracaine on spontaneous Ca2+ release from the sarcoplasmic reticulum (SR) in isolated rat ventricular myocytes. 2. At low concentrations (0.25-1...
- Tetracaine-membrane interactions: effects of lipid composition and phase on drug partitioning, location, and ionizationJingzhong Zhang
Pain Research Center, Department of Anesthesiology, Perioperative, and Pain Medicine, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Biophys J 92:3988-4001. 2007Interactions of the local anesthetic tetracaine with unilamellar vesicles made of dimyristoyl or dipalmitoyl phosphatidylcholine (DMPC or DPPC), the latter without or with cholesterol, were examined by following changes in the drug's ..
- High-concentration tetracaine for the management of trigeminal neuralgia: quantitative assessment of sensory function after peripheral nerve blockI A Radwan
Department of Anesthesiology and Reanimatology, Gunma University School of Medicine, Maebashi shi, Japan
Clin J Pain 17:323-6. 2001This study examined the effects of peripheral nerve block with high-concentration tetracaine for the management of trigeminal neuralgia, and evaluated sensory function by measuring the postblock current perception threshold.
- A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study of the efficacy of tetracaine gel (Ametop) for pain relief during topical photodynamic therapyM V Holmes
Photobiology Unit, University Department of Dermatology, Ninewells Hospital and Medical School, Dundee, DD1 9SY, UK
Br J Dermatol 150:337-40. 2004..Many patients find topical 5-aminolaevulinic acid (ALA) photodynamic therapy (PDT) painful. Local anaesthetics are not routinely used and their effect on PDT pain has not been examined...
- Dynamic regulation of sarcoplasmic reticulum Ca(2+) content and release by luminal Ca(2+)-sensitive leak in rat ventricular myocytesV Lukyanenko
Department of Physiology, Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center, Lubbock, Texas 79430, USA
Biophys J 81:785-98. 2001..The ryanodine receptor (RyR) blockers tetracaine and Mg(2+) transiently suppressed the frequency of sparks...
- LAS24/KOG1, a component of the TOR complex 1 (TORC1), is needed for resistance to local anesthetic tetracaine and normal distribution of actin cytoskeleton in yeastTomoyuki Araki
Department of Biological Science, Graduate School of Science, University of Tokyo, Hongo, Japan
Genes Genet Syst 80:325-43. 2005..the pathway of local anesthetics' action, we isolated and characterized mutants that were hyper-sensitive to tetracaine, and at the same time, temperature-sensitive for growth...
- Self-warming lidocaine/tetracaine patch effectively and safely induces local anesthesia during minor dermatologic proceduresBrian Berman
Department of Dermatology and Cutaneous Surgery, University of Miami School of Medicine, Miami, Florida 33136, USA
Dermatol Surg 31:135-8. 2005Dermatologic procedures often cause some degree of pain. A self-warming patch containing lidocaine and tetracaine (L/T) was developed to provide topical local anesthesia prior to painful procedures.
- The lidocaine/tetracaine peel: a novel topical anesthetic for dermatologic procedures in adult patientsTina S Alster
Washington Institute of Dermatologic Laser Surgery, Washington, DC 20037, USA
Dermatol Surg 33:1073-81. 2007The 7% lidocaine and 7% tetracaine (LT) peel is a self-occlusive, topical local anesthetic that has been proven safe and effective for use in conjunction with many dermatologic procedures, including cryotherapy, collagen injections, and ..
- IP3-mediated Ca2+ increases do not involve the ryanodine receptor, but ryanodine receptor antagonists reduce IP3-mediated Ca2+ increases in guinea-pig colonic smooth muscle cellsDebbi MacMillan
Institute of Biomedical and Life Sciences, Neuroscience and Biomedical Systems, West Medical Building, University of Glasgow, Glasgow G12 8QQ, UK
J Physiol 569:533-44. 2005..Evidence for this proposal has relied largely on the use of blocking drugs such as ryanodine, tetracaine and dantrolene, reportedly specific inhibitors of RyRs...
- A comparison of the neurotoxic effects on the spinal cord of tetracaine, lidocaine, bupivacaine, and ropivacaine administered intrathecally in rabbitsAtsuo Yamashita
Department of Anesthesiology Resuscitology, Yamaguchi University School of Medicine, Yamaguchi, Japan
Anesth Analg 97:512-9, table of contents. 2003..of the cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) may be clue phenomena to elucidate mechanisms of neurotoxicity of intrathecal tetracaine. However, little is known about whether this is true for other local anesthetics...
- Warm lidocaine/tetracaine patch versus placebo before pediatric intravenous cannulation: a randomized controlled trialAdam J Singer
Department of Emergency Medicine, Stony Brook University, Stony Brook, NY 11794 8350, USA
Ann Emerg Med 52:41-7. 2008..intravenous (IV) cannulation in pediatric emergency department (ED) patients after applying a topical lidocaine/tetracaine patch versus placebo...
- [Tetracaine drops versus lidocaine gel for topical anaesthesia in cataract surgery]Stephan Irle
Augenklinik I, Evangelisches und Johanniter Klinikum Duisburg gGmbH, Duisburg
Klin Monbl Augenheilkd 220:625-8. 2003in addition to intracameral anaesthesia, drop anaesthesia with tetracaine drops has been established for topical anaesthesia in cataract surgery. Anaesthesia with lidocaine gel is less established...
- Effects of tetracaine and bupivacaine on chemiluminescence generated by formyl-methionyl-leucyl-phenylalanine-stimulated human leukocytes and cell-free systemsBerrin Gunaydin
Department of Pharmacology, Faculty of Pharmacy, Gazi University, 06330 Ankara, Turkey
Int Immunopharmacol 3:757-64. 2003We investigated the abilities of an ester-type local anesthetic tetracaine and an amide-type local anesthetic bupivacaine to inhibit reactive oxygen and/or nitrogen species generated by either human leukocytes or cell-free systems via ..
- Interaction of bupivacaine and tetracaine with the sarcoplasmic reticulum Ca2+ release channel of skeletal and cardiac musclesH Komai
Department of Anesthesiology, University of Wisconsin, Madison 53792 3272, USA
Anesthesiology 90:835-43. 1999..Furthermore, it is not known whether the toxicity depends on the unique chemical characteristics of bupivacaine and whether the toxicity is found only in skeletal muscle...
- The long lasting effects of peripheral nerve blocks for trigeminal neuralgia using high concentration of tetracaine dissolved in bupivacaineF Goto
Department of Anesthesiology and Reanimatology, Gunma University School of Medicine, Maebashi shi, Japan
Pain 79:101-3. 1999..5% bupivacaine or 1% mepivacaine dissipated within a few days, however, the effects of nerve blocks using 4% tetracaine dissolved in 0.5% bupivacaine continued for more than 3 months...
- How effective is tetracaine 4% gel, before a peripherally inserted central catheter, in reducing procedural pain in infants: a randomized double-blind placebo controlled trial [ISRCTN75884221]Brigitte Lemyre
Department of Pediatrics, Children s Hospital of Eastern Ontario, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
BMC Med 4:11. 2006Procedural pain relief is sub-optimal in infants, especially small and vulnerable ones. Tetracaine gel 4% (Ametop, Smith-Nephew) provides pain relief in children and larger infants, but its efficacy in smaller infants and for peripherally ..
- No more tears: a randomized controlled double-blind trial of Amethocaine gel vs. placebo in the management of procedural pain in neonatesJ Moore
Neonatal Unit, City Hospital NHS Trust, Dudley Road, Birmingham B18 7QH, UK
J Adv Nurs 34:475-82. 2001..During a comparative double-blind study, the efficacy of Amethocaine local anaesthetic gel was compared with that of a placebo gel to establish their effect on the reduction of behavioural and physiological responses to pain in neonates...
- Clinical experiences with a novel percutaneous amethocaine preparation: prevention of pain due to venepuncture in childrenA D Woolfson
School of Pharmacy, Queen s University of Belfast
Br J Clin Pharmacol 30:273-9. 1990..There was no evidence of sensitisation on subsequent exposure to the preparation. 6. The short application time required was found to be advantageous to ward and clinic routines...
- Topical amethocaine gel in the newborn infant: how soon does it work and how long does it last?A Jain
Department of Neonatal Medicine, Nottingham City Hospital, Hucknall Road, Nottingham NG5 1PB, UK
Arch Dis Child Fetal Neonatal Ed 83:F211-4. 2000..To explore the time of onset and duration of action of topical amethocaine gel in the newborn infant...
- Intravenous morphine and topical tetracaine for treatment of pain in [corrected] neonates undergoing central line placementAnna Taddio
Department of Pharmacy, The Hospital for Sick Children, Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario
JAMA 295:793-800. 2006..There is limited evidence of the analgesic effectiveness of opioid analgesia or topical anesthesia during central line placement in neonates, and there are no previous studies of their relative effectiveness...
- Does topical amethocaine gel reduce the pain of venepuncture in newborn infants? A randomised double blind controlled trialA Jain
Department of Neonatal Medicine, Nottingham City Hospital, Hucknall Road, Nottingham NG5 1PB, UK
Arch Dis Child Fetal Neonatal Ed 83:F207-10. 2000..Topical amethocaine provides effective pain relief during venepuncture in children, and has been shown to have a local anaesthetic action in the newborn...
- A comparison of the effects of ATP and tetracaine on spontaneous Ca(2+) release from rat permeabilised cardiac myocytesG L Smith
Institute of Biomedical and Life Sciences, University of Glasgow, Glasgow G12 8QQ, UK
J Physiol 534:37-47. 2001..5 mM ATP were similar to those observed during perfusion with 50 microM tetracaine. In 0...
- Transdermal permeation of tetracaine hydrochloride by lecithin microemulsion: in vivoMohammad Changez
Centre for Biomedical Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi, Hauz Khas, New Delhi 110016, India
Colloids Surf B Biointerfaces 48:58-66. 2006In vivo transdermal permeation of tetracaine hydrochloride encapsulated in lecithin water-in-oil and oil-in-water microemulsion was studied...
- A multiply charged tetracaine derivative blocks cyclic nucleotide-gated channels at subnanomolar concentrationsAmbarish S Ghatpande
Department of Physiology and Biophysics, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Denver, Colorado 80262, USA
Biochemistry 42:265-70. 2003..CNG channels are members of the superfamily of voltage-gated ion channels, and the local anesthetic tetracaine is known to block CNG channels in a manner that resembles the block of voltage-gated Na(+) channels...
- Modifications to the tetracaine scaffold produce cyclic nucleotide-gated channel blockers with widely varying efficaciesTimothy Strassmaier
Department of Physiology and Pharmacology and Neurological Sciences Institute, Oregon Health and Science University, Portland, Oregon 97239, USA
J Med Chem 48:5805-12. 2005Five new tetracaine analogues were synthesized and evaluated for potency of blockade of cyclic nucleotide-gated channels relative to a multiply charged tetracaine analogue described previously...
- Topical amethocaine gel for pain relief of heel prick blood sampling: a randomised double blind controlled trialA Jain
Department of Neonatal Medicine, Nottingham City Hospital, Hucknall Road, Nottingham NG5 1PB, UK
Arch Dis Child Fetal Neonatal Ed 84:F56-9. 2001..Use of a topical local anaesthetic does not relieve this pain. A 4% w/w amethocaine gel (Ametop) reduces the pain of venepuncture in the newborn but has not been tried with heel pricks...
- Charged tetracaine as an inactivation enhancer in batrachotoxin-modified Na+ channelsG K Wang
Department of Anesthesia Research Laboratories, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts
Biophys J 67:1851-60. 1994..Herein, we describe our studies of a third type of LA, represented by tetracaine as a dual blocker that binds strongly with closed channels but also binds to a lesser extent with open channels ..
- Liquid-phase microextraction combined with high-performance liquid chromatography for the determination of local anaesthetics in human urineMing Ma
State Key Laboratory of Chemo Biosensing and Chemometrics, Hunan University, Changsha 410082, PR China
J Pharm Biomed Anal 40:128-35. 2006..HPLC) is presented for the simultaneous analysis of local anaesthetics, lidocaine, bupivacaine, and tetracaine, from human urine sample...
- [Comparison between the pain induced by phacoemulsification with topical anesthesia and by peribulbar anesthesia without sedation]Roberto Pinto Coelho
Departamento de Oftalmologia, Otorrinolaringologia e Cirurgia de Cabeca e Pescoco, Faculdade de Medicina de Ribeirao Preto, Universidade de Sao Paulo
Arq Bras Oftalmol 68:45-8. 2005..To compare pain sensation induced by phacoemulsification with topical anesthesia with that by peribulbar anesthesia, without sedation...
- Pain induced by phacoemulsification without sedation using topical or peribulbar anesthesiaDavid T L Liu
J Cataract Refract Surg 32:2; author reply 2. 2006
- Topical anesthetics for dermal instrumentation: a systematic review of randomized, controlled trialsAnthony Eidelman
Department of Anesthesiology and Pain Medicine, Caritas St Elizabeth s Medical Center, Tufts School of Medicine, Boston, MA, USA
Ann Emerg Med 46:343-51. 2005....
- Randomised controlled trial of sub-Tenon's block versus topical anaesthesia for cataract surgery: a comparison of patient satisfactionH Ruschen
Moorfields Eye Hospital, St Ann s Diagnostic and Treatment Centre, London EC1V 2PD, UK
Br J Ophthalmol 89:291-3. 2005..The authors decided to investigate the issue of patient satisfaction using the recently developed Iowa Satisfaction with Anesthesia Scale (ISAS)...
- Local anesthetics induce human renal cell apoptosisH Thomas Lee
Department of Anesthesiology, College of Physicians and Surgeons of Columbia University, New York, NY 10032 3784, USA
Am J Nephrol 23:129-39. 2003..We examined the effects of chronic (48 h) local anesthetic treatment (lidocaine, bupivacaine and tetracaine) on human proximal tubular (HK-2) cells...
- Comparison of lidocaine 2% gel versus amethocaine as the sole anesthetic agent for strabismus surgeryChristopher B O Yu
Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong Eye Hospital, 147K Argyle Street, Hong Kong, People s Republic of China
Ophthalmology 110:1426-9. 2003..To compare the efficacy of lidocaine 2% gel with amethocaine 1% eyedrops as the sole anesthetic agent for one-stage adjustable suture strabismus surgery...
- Effects of local anesthetics on human bladder contractilitySeung June Oh
Department of Urology, Seoul National University Hospital, Seoul National University College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
Neurourol Urodyn 24:288-94. 2005..We investigated the invitro effects of local anesthetics on the contractility of the human bladder...
- Thirty-minute application of the S-Caine peel prior to nonablative laser treatmentSeema N Doshi
Department of Dermatology, University of Texas Houston Medical School, USA
Dermatol Surg 29:1008-11. 2003..Although topical anesthetics have proven efficacious, they possess inherent limitations related to ease of use...
- Two randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled studies evaluating the S-Caine Peel for induction of local anesthesia before long-pulsed Nd:YAG laser therapy for leg veinsJohn Z S Chen
Laser and Skin Surgery Center of New York, New York 10016, USA
Dermatol Surg 29:1012-8. 2003..Topical anesthetics are valuable tools for many dermatologic procedures...
- Pupil dilatation with intracameral 1% lidocaine during glaucoma filtering surgeryPunita Kumari Sodhi
ew Delhi, India
Am J Ophthalmol 137:783-4; author reply 784-5. 2004
- The use of EMLA cream to decrease venipuncture pain in childrenTanya L Rogers
School of Nursing, West Virginia University, Morgantown, WV, USA
J Pediatr Nurs 19:33-9. 2004..EMLA cream was compared with placebo, iontophoresis, and amethocaine cream and was found to be an effective local anesthetic for pediatric venipuncture pain during both intravenous cannulation and phlebotomy...
- Efficacy of intraoral topical anesthetics in childrenEkaterini Paschos
Department of Orthodontics, Dental School, LMU University Munich, Goethestr 70, 80336 Munchen, Germany
J Dent 34:398-404. 2006..Only a few studies have been performed in children. Some non-placebo controlled studies have been carried out to compare the efficacy in reducing children's injection pain between different topical anesthetics..
- Topical anesthetic sprays directly associated with a serious, sometimes fatal adverse drug reaction: methemoglobinemiaSusan Paparella
Consulting Services, Institute for Safe Medication Practices, Huntingdon Valley, PA, USA
J Emerg Nurs 31:468-9. 2005
- 60-minute application of S-Caine Peel prior to 1,064 nm long-pulsed Nd:YAG laser treatment of leg veinsMing H Jih
DermSurgery Associates, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Lasers Surg Med 34:446-50. 2004..To evaluate the efficacy of the S-Caine Peel for providing topical anesthesia after a 60-minute application...
- Anesthetic implications of Leigh's syndromeTorin Shear
University of Missouri School of Medicine, Columbia, MO 65212, USA
Paediatr Anaesth 14:792-7. 2004..The authors present the use of spinal anesthesia for muscle biopsy in a 19 month old with LS and review the potential anesthetic implications of this syndrome...
- Local anesthetics worsen renal function after ischemia-reperfusion injury in ratsH Thomas Lee
Department of Anesthesiology, Anesthesiology Research Laboratories, Columbia University, P and S Box 46 PH 5, 630 W 168th Street, New York, NY 10032 3784, USA
Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 286:F111-9. 2004..kg-1.h-1), bupivacaine (0.4 mg.kg-1.h-1), tetracaine (1 mg.kg-1...
- Randomized trial of novel tetracaine patch to provide local anaesthesia in neonates undergoing venepunctureC P Long
School of Pharmacy, Queen s University Belfast, 97 Lisburn Road, Belfast BT9 7BL, UK
Br J Anaesth 91:514-8. 2003..We assessed a novel tetracaine-based self-adhesive patch in providing controlled local anaesthesia before venepuncture.
- Intravenous ketamine sedation for painful oncology proceduresDan Evans
Department of Anesthesiology, British Columbia Children s Hospital, University of British Columbia, Vanouver, BC, Canada
Paediatr Anaesth 15:131-8. 2005..The aim of the study was to determine the efficacy and adverse effects of intravenous (i.v.) ketamine sedation administered by nonanesthetist physicians for painful procedures...
- Topical tetracaine prior to arterial puncture: a randomized, placebo-controlled clinical trialShawn D Aaron
Division of Respiratory Medicine, Department of Medicine, The Ottawa Hospital, The Ottawa Hospital Research Institute, General Campus, Room 1812F, 501 Smyth Road, Ottawa, Ont, Canada K1H 8L6
Respir Med 97:1195-9. 2003..randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled clinical trial was to determine whether a topical anesthetic agent (tetracaine) provides effective local analgesia prior to radial arterial puncture...
- [Suture of skin lacerations using LAT gel (lidocaine, adrenaline, tetracaine)]E Chipont Benabent
, , , Alicante
Arch Soc Esp Oftalmol 76:505-8. 2001..Concentrations in final gel solution were as follows: Tetracaine 1.0%. Lidocaine 1.5% and Adrenaline 0.1%...
- Topical anaesthesia and intravenous cannulation success in paediatric patients: a randomized double-blind trialG Arendts
Department of Emergency Medicine, St George Hospital, Kogarah NSW 2217, Australia
Br J Anaesth 100:521-4. 2008..v. cannulation in the paediatric population. The null hypothesis of this study was that no difference exists in the initial success rate of cannulation between two commonly used topical anaesthetics...
- Lidocaine inhibits secretion of IL-8 and IL-1beta and stimulates secretion of IL-1 receptor antagonist by epithelial cellsM Lahav
Department of Gastroenterology, Chaim Sheba Medical Center, Tel Hashomer, Israel
Clin Exp Immunol 127:226-33. 2002....
- Safety of cataract surgery under topical anesthesia with oral sedation without anesthetic monitoringGuillermo Rocha
Brandon Regional Health Centre, University of Manitoba, Brandon, Man
Can J Ophthalmol 42:288-94. 2007..The current study was conducted to determine whether topical anesthesia with oral sedation and without an anesthetist present in the operating room is a safe and cost-effective strategy for low-risk patients undergoing cataract surgery...
- Effects of local anesthetics on the contractility of rat bladdersS J Oh
Department of Urology, Seoul National University College of Medicine, Clinical Research Institute, Seoul National University Hospital, Seoul, Korea
J Urol 165:2044-50. 2001..We investigated the effects of tetracaine, bupivacaine and lidocaine on baseline spontaneous contractions and contractions induced by various stimuli, ..
- A randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled, comparative study of topical skin analgesics and the anxiety and discomfort associated with venous cannulationA F Speirs
Division of Restorative Dentistry, Leeds Dental Institute, University of Leeds, UK
Br Dent J 190:444-9. 2001..This has application in the management of anxious patients undergoing intravenous sedation, suggesting that topical analgesia prior to venous cannulation may significantly aid anxiolysis...
- Pain management for neonatal circumcisionA Taddio
Department of Pharmacy, The Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Paediatr Drugs 3:101-11. 2001....
- Corneal sensation after topical anesthesiaK Nomura
Department of Ophthalmology, University of Rochester School of Medicine, New York, USA
Cornea 20:191-3. 2001PURPOSE: To compare the topical effects of tetracaine, lidocaine, and bupivacaine on corneal sensitivity in normal eyes. METHODS: Corneal touch sensitivity was measured with a Cochet-Bonnet anesthesiometer before and at 2...
- Topical anesthesia for phacoemulsification and painless subconjunctival antibiotic injectionV V Kayarkar
Department of Ophthalmology, Doncaster Royal Infirmary, United Kingdom
J Cataract Refract Surg 27:198-200. 2001..Eighty-seven percent of patients found the injection painless, 6.5% reported that the pain was very negligible, and 6.5% reported a moderate degree of pain...
- Brief report: a randomized controlled trial of Synera versus lidocaine for epidural needle insertion in labouring parturientsRonald B George
Department of Anesthesiology, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina, USA
Can J Anaesth 55:168-71. 2008..an oxygen-activated heating component to enhance the delivery of a eutectic mixture of lidocaine (70 mg) and tetracaine (70 mg), has provided analgesia for minor, dermatological procedures...
- Routine immunization practices: use of topical anesthetics and oral analgesicsAnna Taddio
Department of Pharmacy, Hospital for Sick Children, 555 University Ave, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M5G 1X8
Pediatrics 120:e637-43. 2007..Our objective was to evaluate analgesic use during childhood immunization...
- Systemic exposure to lidocaine and tetracaine is low after an application of a lidocaine 7%-tetracaine 7% peel in adultsLazarre Ogden
Department of Anesthesiology, University of Utah Health Science Center, Salt Lake City, Utah, USA
Int J Dermatol 47:87-90. 2008The lidocaine 7%-tetracaine 7% (LT) peel has been demonstrated to be useful for a variety of dermatologic applications, including cosmetic, laser, and vascular access procedures...
- Does amethocaine gel influence blood results obtained from capillary sampling?Noelle Llewellyn
Acute Pain Service, Birmingham Children s Hospital NHS Trust
Paediatr Nurs 18:29-31. 2006..Topical anaesthesia might alleviate the pain associated with capillary blood sampling but would it affect the blood sample?..
- Lidocaine-prilocaine cream versus tetracaine gel for procedural pain in childrenAnna Taddio
Department of Pharmacy, The Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Ann Pharmacother 36:687-92. 2002To determine the relative efficacy of lidocaine-prilocaine and tetracaine for procedural pain in children.
- Patch-test reactions to topical anesthetics: retrospective analysis of cross-sectional data, 2001 to 2004Erin M Warshaw
Dermatitis 19:81-5. 2008..Allergy to topical anesthetics is not uncommon. The cross-reactivity among topical anesthetics and the screening value of benzocaine alone are not well understood...
- Effective topical anesthetic agents and techniquesJohn G Meechan
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Dental School, Framlington Place, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE2 4BW, United Kingdom
Dent Clin North Am 46:759-66. 2002..There is no evidence that topical anesthetics have any value in reducing the discomfort of deep regional block administrations such as inferior alveolar nerve block injections...
- Combined spinal and epidural anesthesia for abdominal aortic aneurysm surgery in patients with severe chronic pulmonary obstructive diseaseJ A Flores
Department of Cardiovascular Surgery, Hokkaido University School of Medicine, Sapporo, Japan
Int Angiol 21:218-21. 2002..The purpose of this paper is to report our experience in the use of combined spinal and epidural anesthesia (CSEA) for open AAA repair in such patients...
- A randomized controlled trial of the effectiveness of topical amethocaine in reducing pain during arterial punctureNgoc Q Tran
Department of Respiratory Medicine, Bowen Centre, Austin Campus, Austin and Repatriation Medical Centre, Heidelberg, Victoria 3084, Australia
Chest 122:1357-60. 2002..To determine if topical 4% amethocaine gel can reduce the pain associated with arterial punctures...
- Cataract surgery complication ratesLuciano P Bellini
Ophthalmology 115:1432; author reply 1432-3. 2008
- Principles of office anesthesia: part II. Topical anesthesiaSuriti Kundu
Scripps Clinic, San Diego, California, USA
Am Fam Physician 66:99-102. 2002..The combination of tetracaine, adrenaline (epinephrine), and cocaine, better known as TAC, was the first topical agent available for analgesia ..
- EMLA and amethocaine for reduction of children's pain associated with needle insertionJ A Lander
University of Alberta, Nursing, 5 120A Clinical Sciences Building, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada T6G 2G3
Cochrane Database Syst Rev 3:CD004236. 2006..Children often experience pain from needle insertion procedures; therefore, several topical anaesthetics have been developed...
- Radial artery cannulation: topical amethocaine gel versus lidocaine infiltrationS J Olday
Department of Anaesthesia, Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh, UK
Br J Anaesth 88:580-2. 2002..A previous study had shown topical analgesia with EMLA cream reduced pain, shortened cannulation time, and improved success rates when compared with lidocaine infiltration...
- Amphiphilic effects of local anesthetics on rotational mobility in neuronal and model membranesIl Yun
Department of Dental Pharmacology and Biophysics, College of Dentistry and Research Institute for Oral Biotechnology, Pusan National University, South Korea
Biochim Biophys Acta 1564:123-32. 2002..mechanism of pharmacological action of local anesthetics, we carried out a study of the membrane actions of tetracaine, bupivacaine, lidocaine, prilocaine and procaine...
- Benefit and risks of local anesthetics in infants and childrenJoel B Gunter
Department of Anesthesia, Children s Hospital Medical Center, Cincinnati, Ohio 45229 3039, USA
Paediatr Drugs 4:649-72. 2002..The use of tetracaine has generally been limited to spinal and topical anesthesia...
- From cocaine to ropivacaine: the history of local anesthetic drugsY A Ruetsch
University of Zurich, Department of Anesthesiology, Orthopedic University Clinic Balgrist, Switzerland
Curr Top Med Chem 1:175-82. 2001..were synthesized between 1891 and 1930, such as tropocaine, eucaine, holocaine, orthoform, benzocaine, and tetracaine. In addition, amino amide local anesthetics were prepared between 1898 and 1972 including nirvaquine, procaine, ..
- Procaine and mepivacaine have less toxicity in vitro than other clinically used local anestheticsToshiharu Kasaba
Department of Anesthesiology, Miyazaki Medical College, Kiyotake cho, Japan
Anesth Analg 97:85-90, table of contents. 2003..We compared the neurotoxicity of procaine, mepivacaine, ropivacaine, bupivacaine, lidocaine, tetracaine, and dibucaine by using cultured neurons from the freshwater snail Lymnaea stagnalis...
- Immunological modulation by lidocaine-epinephrine and prilocaine-felypressin on the functions related to natural immunity in neutrophils and macrophagesYasutaka Azuma
Department of Pharmacology, Osaka Dental University, Hirakata, Osaka 573 1121, Japan
Curr Drug Targets Immune Endocr Metabol Disord 4:29-36. 2004..possible abilities of both local anesthetic alone including lidocaine, mepivacaine, procaine, prilocaine and tetracaine, and local anesthetics with blood vessel contraction drugs including lidocaine with epinephrine and prilocaine ..
- Gateways to clinical trialsM Bayes
Prous Science, Barcelona, Spain
Methods Find Exp Clin Pharmacol 27:411-61. 2005..Lacosamide, landiolol, lanthanum carbonate, lasofoxifene tartrate, LB-80380, lenalidomide, lidocaine/tetracaine, linezolid, liposomal doxorubicin, liposomal vincristine sulfate, lopinavir, lopinavir/ritonavir, lumiracoxib, ..
- THERAPEUTIC NA+ CHANNEL BLOCKERS: RECEPTOR & DRUG DESIGNGING WANG; Fiscal Year: 2007..Such drugs, either taken orally or injected locally, may be beneficial for patients with chronic and intractable cancer pain. ..
- CALCIUM ION INTERACTIONS IN DEVELOPING DENTAL TISSUESDALE EISENMANN; Fiscal Year: 1990..The following experimental agents will be utilized: calcium antagonists cobalt, verapamil, lanthanum and tetracaine; Ca+2-Mg+2 ATPase inhibitors quercetin and ethacrynic acid; the hormone calcitonin; the anti-microtubular agent ..
- NEW DERMAL ANESTHETICSVINCENT CIOFALO; Fiscal Year: 1999..After preliminary studies, we have determined that ester-type local anesthetics (ex. tetracaine, oxybutynin) cause too much tissue irritation to be useful as dermal anesthetics and amide-type local ..
- ALTERED CA2+ HOMEOSTASIS AND SIGNAL TRANSDUCTION IN SEPSJUDY SPITZER; Fiscal Year: 1991..Implicating such mechanisms in some functional impairments, we may provide a rational basis for novel therapeutic modalities using agents inhibiting protein kinase C (e.g. chlorpromazine, tetracaine and polyamines).
- FUNCTION AND REGULATION OF ION CHANNELS IN RETINAL RODSJeffrey W Karpen; Fiscal Year: 2010..Derivatives of tetracaine will be optimized for pore block and then linked to cGMP with polymer chains to greatly enhance the specificity ..
- ROLE OF ION FLUXES IN THE HYPOGLYCEMIC RESPONSENAOMI KRAUS; Fiscal Year: 1980..The effects of tetracaine, Na-free and high K perfusate agents and experimental conditions in which glucagon-induced ion fluxes and ..
- MOLECULAR BASIS OF LIGAND/SODIUM CHANNEL INTERACTIONSGING WANG; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- FUNCTIONAL ARCHITECTURE OF RETINAL ROD CNG ION CHANNELSSHARONA GORDON; Fiscal Year: 2006..Through these experiments we expect to gain significant insight into how the cGMP-gated ion channels function during visual transduction. ..
- Neural blockade with vanilloidsIgor Kissin; Fiscal Year: 2007..To study the specific aims of the project the effects of RTX will be examined in rats by behavioral methods; and whole cell voltage-clamp technique will be used to identify a mechanism for impulse failure induced by RTX. ..
- Injury-Evoked Regeneration Mechanism in Olfactory SystemColleen Hegg; Fiscal Year: 2008..Agents that modify the effects of purinergics and purinergic receptors are readily available and could therapeutically modulate cell proliferation and differentiation, in the olfactory system and in the CNS. ..
- Aging, Serotonin and Reversal LearningMICHAEL RAGOZZINO; Fiscal Year: 2008..These studies have the potential of developing a novel treatment for the learning and memory deficits observed in aging and Alzheimer's disease. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- The role of I-kappaB in control of glial inflammationDouglas Feinstein; Fiscal Year: 2006..These experiments will provide targets for therapeutic intervention to reduce pathological NOS2 in brain, and help develop a new animal model for examining brain inflammatory in the context of diminished NE levels. ..
- Striatal Acetylcholine and Behavioral FlexibilityMICHAEL RAGOZZINO; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- EXCITATION-CONTRACTION COUPLING IN STRIATED MUSCLESTEPHEN BAYLOR; Fiscal Year: 2005..Overall, the knowledge obtained will contribute importantly to understanding the mechanisms of intracellular Ca signaling and the mechanisms by which specific drugs and diseases affect muscle performance. ..
- SALIVARY SECRETION-ROLE OF CALCIUMEILEEN WATSON; Fiscal Year: 2005..Mechanisms/pathways involved in AA/metabolite-mediated cAMP signaling will be assessed by correlating MAPK activation with cAMP synthesis and degradation. ..
- Purinergic Receptors in Olfactory SystemColleen Hegg; Fiscal Year: 2003..Because ATP is released during neurotransmission and by noxious stimuli, these studies may elucidate mechanisms for the observed reduction in olfactory sensitivity during exposure to noxious agents. ..
- MYELIN PO GLYCOPROTEIN: STRUCTURE & ADHESIVE MECHANISMSDaniel Kirschner; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- G PROTEINS AND PAROTID SECRETORY GRANULEEILEEN WATSON; Fiscal Year: 2002..These studies will also provide a framework for examining cellular biochemical defects in diseases relating to salivary dysfunction. ..
- ACUTE TOLERANCE IN ANESTHETIC ACTIONS AND INTERACTIONSIgor Kissin; Fiscal Year: 2001....
- MECHANISMS OF SKELETAL MUSCLE FATIGUEJay Williams; Fiscal Year: 2001..In addition, it will attempt to identify direct links between muscle glycogen levels, CHO metabolism and the fatigue process. ..
- Treatment of Demyelinating Disease with HSP90 InhibitorsDouglas L Feinstein; Fiscal Year: 2010....