Genomes and Genes
4 aminobenzoic acid
Summary: A member of the VITAMIN B COMPLEX. It used to be a common sunscreening agent until found to also be a sensitizer. The potassium salt is used therapeutically in fibrotic skin disorders.
Publications240 found, 100 shown here
- Simultaneous trace determination of nine organic UV-absorbing compounds (UV filters) in environmental samplesArmin Zenker
University of Applied Sciences Northwestern Switzerland FHNW, School of Life Sciences, Institute of Ecopreneurship, Gründenstrasse 40, CH 4132 Muttenz, Switzerland
J Chromatogr A 1202:64-74. 2008..The described analytical methods are shown to be useful to screen for estrogenic UV filters in environmental samples such as fish and polar organic chemical integrative samplers...
- Aqueous photolysis of the sunscreen agent octyl-dimethyl-p-aminobenzoic acid. Formation of disinfection byproducts in chlorinated swimming pool waterV A Sakkas
Laboratory of Industrial Chemistry, Department of Chemistry, University of Ioannina, Ioannina 45110, Greece
J Chromatogr A 1016:211-22. 2003..In the case of swimming pool water some additional byproducts were isolated and were tentatively identified as chlorinated intermediates, formed by the subsequent chlorination of the parent molecule as well as other intermediates...
- High-performance liquid chromatographic method for the comparison of the photostability of five sunscreen agentsV Vanquerp
Laboratory of Industrial Pharmacy, School of Pharmacy, University of Nantes, France
J Chromatogr A 832:273-7. 1999..1 microgram ml-1 for methylbenzylidene camphor and 0.05 microgram ml-1 for butyl methoxydibenzoylmethane. The half-lives calculated indicate a very good photostability of the sunscreens studied and permit to classify amongst themselves...
- Effect of the combination of organic and inorganic filters on the Sun Protection Factor (SPF) determined by in vitro methodS El-Boury
Universite de Nantes, Nantes Atlantique Universites, LPiC, SMAB, EA2160, Faculty of Pharmacy, 1 rue G Veil BP 53508, Nantes F 44000, France
Int J Pharm 340:1-5. 2007..The combination of zinc oxide with 11 UV-B organic filters also exhibited a similar synergy; however, the measured SPF was systematically lower than the protection factor achieved with titanium dioxide...
- Optical spectroscopy of hydrophobic sunscreen molecules adsorbed to dielectric nanospheresRajagopal Krishnan
Department of Physics, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, AL 35294 1170, USA
Photochem Photobiol 79:531-9. 2004..4-3.8) and water (epsilon = 78). The adsorbed state of these sunscreens represents a proposed improved in vitro model for the environment of sunscreens in vivo, as well as a general model for chromophores in heterogeneous environments...
- Crystal structures and spectroscopic properties of zinc(II) ternary complexes of vitamin L, H' and their isomer m-aminobenzoic acid with bipyridineYue Wang
Lab of Inorganic Chemistry, China Pharmaceutical University, Nanjing 210009, China
Chem Pharm Bull (Tokyo) 53:645-52. 2005..422(2) A) in complex 1. Each of the complexes has the characteristic UV absorption bands around 250-310 nm region, and the intense fluorescence band at near 325 nm...
- Syntheses of labeled vitamers of folic acid to be used as internal standards in stable isotope dilution assaysAchim Freisleben
Institut für Lebensmittelchemie der Technischen Universität München, Lichtenbergstrasse 4, D 85748 Garching, Germany
J Agric Food Chem 50:4760-8. 2002..The mass spectrometric studies confirmed that the compounds could be used as internal standards in stable isotope dilution assays...
- Quantitation of total folate in whole blood using LC-MS/MSJanel E Owens
Department of Nutrition and Division of Agricultural and Natural Resources Analytical Laboratory, University of California, Davis, 95616, USA
J Agric Food Chem 53:7390-4. 2005..This new LC-MS/MS method provides enhanced sample throughput (n = 36 per day) as compared to GC/MS methods. LC-MS/MS will enable accurate measurements of red blood cell (RBC) folate in nutrition surveys and clinical trials...
- Free and total para-aminobenzoic acid analysis in plants with high-performance liquid chromatography/tandem mass spectrometryGuo Fang Zhang
Laboratory of Toxicology, Ghent University, Harelbekestraat 72, B 9000 Ghent, Belgium
Rapid Commun Mass Spectrom 19:963-9. 2005..This new method could be valuable for studies of folate synthesis in plants...
- Simultaneous determination of HIV-protease inhibitors lamivudine and zidovudine in pharmaceutical formulations by micellar electrokinetic chromatographyR Sekar
Analytical Chemistry Division, Indian Institute of Chemical Technology, Hyderabad 500007, India
J Pharm Biomed Anal 39:653-60. 2005..S.D.)< or =1.84%) and > or =80.4% (R.S.D.< or =5.4%), respectively. In the electropherogram no interfering peaks were observed in the region of analytes and I.S. due to inactive ingredients in the tablets and matrices in plasma...
- Stripping method to quantify absorption of two sunscreens in humanC Couteau
Laboratory of Industrial Pharmacy, School of Pharmacy, University of Nantes, rue du Moulin de la Rousseliere-CP 4301-44805 cedex, Saint Herbiam, France
Int J Pharm 222:153-7. 2001..With this study, it has been possible to emphasize the best remanence of benzophenone 4. Moreover, the incorporation of photo-protective agents in a O/W emulsion promotes their penetration, and this is particularly due to benzophenone 4...
- Simultaneous determination of p-aminobenzoic acid and its metabolites in the urine of volunteers, treated with p-aminobenzoic acid sunscreen formulationLai Hao Wang
Department of Applied Chemistry, Chia Nan University of Pharmacy and Science, Tainan 71743, Taiwan
J Pharm Biomed Anal 43:1430-6. 2007..Findings using HPLC-ECD and HPLC with an ultraviolet detector (HPLC-UV) were comparable...
- Folate catabolite excretion is responsive to changes in dietary folate intake in elderly womenJudith M Wolfe
Food Science and Human Nutrition Department, College of Agricultural and Life Sciences, University of Florida, Gainesville 32611, USA
Am J Clin Nutr 77:919-23. 2003..We hypothesize that total pABG (ApABG + pABG) excretion parallels both the mass of body folate pools from which these catabolites originate and the folate-status indicators...
- Folate synthesis in plants: purification, kinetic properties, and inhibition of aminodeoxychorismate synthaseTobias Sahr
Laboratoire de Physiologie Cellulaire Végétale, UMR5168 CNRS CEA INRA Université Joseph Fourier Grenoble I, Departement Reponse et Dynamique Cellulaires, CEA Grenoble, 17 rue des Martyrs, F 38054 Grenoble Cedex 9, France
Biochem J 396:157-62. 2006..These findings support the view that the monomeric ADC synthase is a potential target for antifolate drugs...
- Abyssomicins, inhibitors of the para-aminobenzoic acid pathway produced by the marine Verrucosispora strain AB-18-032Julia Riedlinger
Mikrobiologisches Institut, Universitat Tubingen, Auf der Morgenstelle 28, D 72076 Tubingen, Germany
J Antibiot (Tokyo) 57:271-9. 2004..The main component abyssomicin C inhibits the pathway between chorismate and para-aminobenzoic acid and is strongly active against gram-positive bacteria, including multi-resistant clinical isolates of Staphylococcus aureus...
- Metabolites of a blocked chloramphenicol producerElizabeth A Lewis
Department of Chemistry, Dalhousie University, Halifax, Nova Scotia, B3H 4J3 Canada
J Nat Prod 66:62-6. 2003..Reference compound 13 was synthesized by reducing the acid chloride of 14. Shunt pathways are proposed to account for the formation of the metabolites from p-aminophenylalanine...
- Linkage and branch determination of N-linked oligosaccharides using sequential degradation/closed-ring chromophore labeling/negative ion trap mass spectrometryHsing Ling Cheng
Department of Chemistry, National Taiwan University, Taipei, Taiwan, R O C
J Am Soc Mass Spectrom 18:248-59. 2007..This described approach was applied to two high mannose oligosaccharides M5G2, M6G2 cleaved from the ribonuclease B and a complex oligosaccharide A2 cleaved from transferrin...
- Simultaneous determination of procaine and para-aminobenzoic acid by LC-MS/MS methodMugunthu R Dhananjeyan
Center for Drug Design and Development, The University of Toledo, Toledo, OH, USA
J Chromatogr B Analyt Technol Biomed Life Sci 847:224-30. 2007..7 and 5.8min, respectively. Linearity for each calibration curve was observed across a range from 100nM to 5000nM for PABA, and from 10nM to 5000nM for procaine. The intra- and inter-day relative standard deviations (RSD) were <5%...
- Protecting the protectors: reducing the biological toxicity of UV sunscreens by zeolite encapsulationMichelle N Chrétien
University of Ottawa, Department of Chemistry, Centre for Catalysis Research and Innovation, Ottawa, ON, Canada K1N 6N5
Photochem Photobiol 82:1606-11. 2006..These results provide an important benchmark for the use of zeolite encapsulation as a means of improving the safety of UV sunscreens for topical application...
- Examination of intrinsic sulfonamide resistance in Bacillus anthracis: a novel assay for dihydropteroate synthaseMichelle Wright Valderas
Department of Veterinary Pathobiology, Center for Veterinary Health Sciences, Oklahoma State University, 250 Mc Elroy Hall, Stillwater, Oklahoma 74078, USA
Biochim Biophys Acta 1780:848-53. 2008..anthracis DHPS results in part from the use of the sulfonamides as alternative substrates, resulting in the formation of sulfonamide-pterin adducts, and not necessarily due to an inability to bind them...
- The reactions of oxicam and sulfoanilide non steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs with hypochlorous acid: determination of the rate constants with an assay based on the competition with para-aminobenzoic acid chlorination and identification of some oxidationP Van Antwerpen
Department of Pharmaceutical Chemistry, Institute of Pharmacy, Universite Libre de Bruxelles, Bld du Triomphe, Campus Plaine 205 5, B 1050 Brussels, Belgium
Free Radic Res 38:251-8. 2004..The identification of some of the oxidation products by NMR or MS permitted to explore the reaction mechanism and to examine some aspects of the structure/activity relationships for the molecules of the same chemical family...
- Thermodynamic linkage between the S1 site, the Na+ site, and the Ca2+ site in the protease domain of human activated protein C (APC). Sodium ion in the APC crystal structure is coordinated to four carbonyl groups from two separate loopsAmy E Schmidt
Department of Pharmacological and Physiological Sciences, Saint Louis University Health Sciences Center, St Louis, Missouri 63110, USA
J Biol Chem 277:28987-95. 2002..The significance of these findings is that under physiologic conditions, most of the APC will exist in Na2+-APC-Ca2+ form, which has 110-fold increased proteolytic activity...
- Sequential enzymatic oxidation of aminoarenes to nitroarenes via hydroxylaminesRobert Winkler
Leibniz Institute for Natural Products Research and Infection Biology, HKI, Beutenbergstrasse 11a, 07745 Jena, Germany
Angew Chem Int Ed Engl 44:4083-7. 2005
- Dihydropteroate synthase from Streptococcus pneumoniae: structure, ligand recognition and mechanism of sulfonamide resistanceColin Levy
Manchester Interdisciplinary Biocentre, University of Manchester, 131 Princess Street, Manchester M1 7DN, UK
Biochem J 412:379-88. 2008..The results show that binding of DHPPP and pABA are separate distinguishable events in the reaction cycle, and that mutations which confer resistance to sulfonamide drugs act exclusively on the second step in the binding process...
- Crystal structures of wild-type p-hydroxybenzoate hydroxylase complexed with 4-aminobenzoate,2,4-dihydroxybenzoate, and 2-hydroxy-4-aminobenzoate and of the Tyr222Ala mutant complexed with 2-hydroxy-4-aminobenzoate. Evidence for a proton channel and a newH A Schreuder
BIOSON Research Institute, University of Groningen, The Netherlands
Biochemistry 33:10161-70. 1994..It is proposed that movement of the FAD out of the active site may provide an entrance for the substrate to enter the active site and an exit for the product to leave...
- Crystal structures of apolipoprotein(a) kringle IV37 free and complexed with 6-aminohexanoic acid and with p-aminomethylbenzoic acid: existence of novel and expected binding modesV Mikol
Preclinical Research, Sandoz Pharma AG, Basel, Switzerland
J Mol Biol 256:751-61. 1996..The relative importance of the cationic center from kringles for binding zwitterionic ligands is discussed...
- Liquid-phase combinatorial synthesis of aminobenzimidazolesKuo Ting Huang
Department of Chemistry, National Dong Hwa University, Shou Feng, Hualien 974, Taiwan
Bioorg Med Chem Lett 12:1001-3. 2002..A mechanism study for one-pot cyclodesulfurization is also investigated on the support. A wide range of benzimidazole derivatives is synthesized in excellent yield and purity just by simple wash and precipitation...
- Specific inclusion mode of guest compounds in the amylose complex analyzed by solid state NMR spectroscopyYuichi Tozuka
Graduate School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Chiba University, 1 33 Yayoi cho, Inage Ku, Chiba 263 8522, Japan
Chem Pharm Bull (Tokyo) 54:1097-101. 2006..Moreover, the inclusion compound formation by sealed-heating of AS100 was also observed when using PA analogues as guest compounds. The binding ratio of AS100 and PA analogues varied depending on the size of guest molecules...
- Hydrogen-bonding motifs in 4-carboxyphenylammonium nitrate and perchlorate monohydrate, and in bis(4-carboxyphenylammonium) sulfateS Athimoolam
Department of Physics, Madurai Kamaraj University, Madurai 625 021, India
Acta Crystallogr C 62:o612-7. 2006..Furthermore, in (I), head-to-tail N-H...O interactions and interactions linking the cations and anions form an R6(4)(16) hydrogen-bonding motif, resulting in a pseudo-inversion centre at (1/2, 1/2, 0)...
- Hydrogen-bonding features in the 1:2 adduct of 4-aminobenzoic acid and L-prolineS Athimoolam
Department of Physics, Madurai Kamaraj University, Madurai 625 021, India
Acta Crystallogr C 63:o283-6. 2007..twisting of the carboxyl plane from the aromatic ring and the formation of a head-to-tail chain motif [C(8)] along the b axis, are observed. A distinct feature of the structure is that no proton transfer occurs between proline and PABA...
- Hydrogen-bonding interactions in the 4-aminobenzoic acid salt of atenolol monohydrateBenyong Lou
Department of Health Science, Lulea University of Technology, Lulea S 971 87, Sweden
Acta Crystallogr C 63:o714-6. 2007..Three other types of supramolecular synthons link the asymmetric unit into a two-dimensional structure...
- Dendrimers conjugates for colonic delivery of 5-aminosalicylic acidRuedeekorn Wiwattanapatapee
Department of Pharmaceutical Technology, Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Prince of Songkla University, Hat Yai, Songkla 90112, Thailand
J Control Release 88:1-9. 2003..Only a small amount of 5-ASA was found after incubation of both conjugates with the homogenate of the small intestine for 12 h. It appears that this PAMAM dendrimer can be developed for use as a carrier for colon-specific drug delivery...
- Effects of ionic liquid as additive and the pH of the mobile phase on the retention factors of amino benzoic acids in RP-HPLCJ Zheng
Center for Advanced Bioseparation Technology, Department of Chemical Engineering, Inha University, Incheon 402 751, South Korea
J Chromatogr Sci 45:256-62. 2007..Separation with the ionic liquid in the eluent was better than the separation without the ionic liquid. The pH mainly affected the retention and elution order of the solutes in RP-HPLC...
- Effect of norcantharidin on N-acetyltransferase activity in HepG2 cellsL T Wu
Department of Microbiology, China Medical College, Taichung, Taiwan
Am J Chin Med 29:161-72. 2001..e. the greater the concentration of norcantharidin in the reaction, the greater the inhibition of NAT activities. This report is the first to show that norcantharidin has an inhibitory effect on NAT activity in HepG2 cell...
- Vitamin C inhibited DNA adduct formation and arylamine N-acetyltransferase activity and gene expression in rat glial tumor cellsC F Hung
Department of Surgery, Jen-Ai Hospital, Taichung, Taiwan, Republic of China
Neurochem Res 26:1107-12. 2001..The data also indicated that vitamin C decreased the apparent values of Km and Vmax from C6 glioma cells...
- Evidence for arylamine N-acetyltransferase activity in Klebsiella pneumoniaeChung Sang Hui
Department of Family Medicine, Jen Ai Hospital, Tali, Taichung, Taiwan, ROC
J Microbiol Immunol Infect 37:208-15. 2004..The NAT activity was inhibited by 50% with 0.25 mM iodoacetamide, and by more than 90% at 1.0 mM. Among a series of divalent cations and salts, Cu2+ and Zn2+ were the most potent inhibitors of NAT activity...
- Arylamine N-acetyltransferase activities in human breast cancer tissuesY S Geylan
Department of Biology, Middle East Technical University, Ankara, Turkey
Neoplasma 48:108-11. 2001..Moreover, the mean NAT2 activity was about 2-fold greater in the malignant tissues when compared to NAT1 activity...
- Effects of the butylated hydroxyanisole and butylated hydroxytoluene on the DNA adduct formation and arylamines N-acetyltransferase activity in human colon tumor cellsS H Chang
Department of Microbiology, China Medical College, 91, Hsueh-Shih Road, 400, Taiwan, Republic of China
Anticancer Res 21:1087-93. 2001..The finding of AF-DNA adduct formation in cultured human colon tumor cells suggest the possibility of using cultured cells for assessing arylamine-induced DNA damage...
- Effects of butylated hydroxyanisole and butylated hydroxytoluene on DNA adduct formation and arylamine N-acetyltransferase activity in human bladder tumour cellsHsueh Fu Lu
Department of Urology, China Medical College Hospital, 2 Yuh Der Rd, Taichung 400, Taiwan, Republic of China
J Appl Toxicol 22:37-44. 2002..The results indicated that BHA and BHT decreased the apparent values of K(m) and V(max) from human bladder tumour cells in both cytosol and intact cells...
- Kinetics of acetyl coenzyme A: arylamine N-acetyltransferase from human cumulus cellsC C Chang
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, China Medical College Hospital, No. 2 Yuh-Der Road, Taichung, Taiwan
J Assist Reprod Genet 18:512-8. 2001..Higher percentage of rapid acetylators established in the cumulus during COH. It provides a model for monitoring the effects of pollution or carcinogenesis upon the oocyte during COH and oocyte retrievals...
- Kinetics of acetyl coenzyme A: arylamine N-acetyltransferase from rapid and slow acetylator human benign prostatic hyperplasia tissuesC C Yeh
Department of Urology, China Medical College Hospital, Taiwan, Republic of China
Urol Res 29:311-6. 2001..This is the first demonstration of acetyl CoA-arylamine NAT activity in human benign prostatic hyperplasia tissues...
- Genetic and metabolic analysis of folate salvage in the human malaria parasite Plasmodium falciparumPing Wang
Department of Biomolecular Sciences, University of Manchester Institute of Science and Technology, P O Box 88, Manchester M60 1QD, UK
Mol Biochem Parasitol 135:77-87. 2004..This would mirror earlier studies indicating that the DHFR activity of HB3 is also compromised relative to other variants...
- An apparent Bacillus subtilis folic acid biosynthetic operon containing pab, an amphibolic trpG gene, a third gene required for synthesis of para-aminobenzoic acid, and the dihydropteroate synthase geneJ Slock
Department of Biology, King s College, Wilkes Barre, Pennsylvania 18711
J Bacteriol 172:7211-26. 1990..We propose that this regulation is at the level of translation. This hypothesis is supported by the finding of an apparent Mtr-binding site which overlaps with the trpG ribosome-binding site...
- Promoter strength of folic acid synthesis genes affects sulfa drug resistance in Saccharomyces cerevisiaePeter Iliades
CSIRO Health Sciences and Nutrition, Parkville, Victoria, Australia 3052
Microb Drug Resist 9:249-55. 2003..However, high FOL1 expression levels resulted in increased susceptibility to sulfamethoxazole in pABA free media. These data suggest that up-regulation of FOL1 expression can lead to sulfa drug resistance in Saccharomyces cerevisiae...
- Resistance to sulphadrug-based antifolate therapy in malaria: are we looking in the right place?J J Platteeuw
Avivia, Boxtel, The Netherlands
Trop Med Int Health 11:804-8. 2006..Although in vitro studies are valuable for understanding disease mechanisms, we should not forget that the human being is infinitely more complex than any laboratory model...
- Bacterially synthesized folate and supplemental folic acid are absorbed across the large intestine of pigletsFarhan M Asrar
Department of Nutritional Sciences, University of Toronto, and The Hospital for Sick Children, 555 University Ave, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M5G 1X8
J Nutr Biochem 16:587-93. 2005....
- Metabolism of the folate precursor p-aminobenzoate in plants: glucose ester formation and vacuolar storageAymerick Eudes
Departments of Horticultural Sciences and Food Science and Human Nutrition, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL 32611, USA
J Biol Chem 283:15451-9. 2008..In total, these data and the fact that isolated mitochondria did not take up [(3)H]pABA-Glc, suggest that the glucose ester represents a storage form of pABA that does not contribute directly to folate synthesis...
- Tetrahydrofolate-specific enzymes in Methanosarcina barkeri and growth dependence of this methanogenic archaeon on folic acid or p-aminobenzoic acidBärbel Buchenau
Max Planck Institut für Terrestrische Mikrobiologie and Laboratorium für Mikrobiologie, Fachbereich Biologie, Philipps Universitat, Karl von Frisch Strasse, Marburg, Germany
Arch Microbiol 182:313-25. 2004..The presence of both H4SPT and H4F in M. barkeri is in agreement with earlier isotope labeling studies indicating that there are two separate C1 pools in these methanogens...
- Synthesis and turnover of folates in plantsAndrew D Hanson
Horticultural Sciences Department, University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida 32611, USA
Curr Opin Plant Biol 5:244-9. 2002..Moreover, new analytical advances will help to elucidate plant folate turnover and transport, which are practically unexplored...
- Monomorphic and polymorphic human arylamine N-acetyltransferases: a comparison of liver isozymes and expressed products of two cloned genesD M Grant
Department of Pharmacology, University of Basel, Switzerland
Mol Pharmacol 39:184-91. 1991..In addition, the use of recombinant NAT1 and NAT2 will allow us to predict whether any given arylamine will be polymorphically acetylated in humans...
- The role of N-hydroxyphenetidine in phenacetin-induced hemolytic anemiaC B Jensen
Department of Pharmacology, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston 29425
Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 111:1-12. 1991..These data are consistent with the hypothesis that PNOH, formed during the metabolic clearance of phenacetin, mediates phenacetin-induced hemolytic anemia and methemoglobinemia through direct toxic actions in the erythrocyte...
- Effect of streptolysin-O-on rat hepatic acetyl coenzyme-A: arylamine N-acetyltransferase and cytochrome P-450 2B 1/2 activities ex vivoR K Drobitch
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Wayne State University, Detroit, MI, 48202, USA
Immunopharmacol Immunotoxicol 20:159-71. 1998..We conclude that SLO does not serve as a useful model immunostimulant for mechanistic studies as it produces no consistent effect on drug metabolizing enzymes...
- Cytokine endpoints for the local lymph node assay: consideration of interferon-gamma and interleukin 12R J Dearman
Zeneca Central Toxicology Laboratory, Macclesfield, Cheshire, UK
J Appl Toxicol 19:149-55. 1999..These data indicate that expression by allergen-activated LNC of IFN-gamma or IL-12 does not provide a reliable or sufficiently sensitive endpoint for the LLNA compared with [3H]thymidine incorporation in situ...
- Virucidal agents in the eve of manorapid synergyAngel S Galabov
The Stephan Angeloff Institute of Microbiology, Bulgarian Academy of Sciences Sofia, Bulgaria
GMS Krankenhhyg Interdiszip 2:Doc18. 2007....
- Purification and characterization of Ocimum basilicum L. polyphenol oxidaseSerap Dogan
Departments of Biology, Faculty of Science and Literature, University of Balikesir, 10100 Balikesir, Turkey
J Agric Food Chem 53:10224-30. 2005..The enzyme activity with increasing temperature and inactivation time for 4-methylcatechol, catechol, and pyrogallol substrates decreased due to heat denaturation of the enzyme...
- Stimulatory effect of procaine on the growth of several microalgae and cyanobacteriaT Suzuki
Research Laboratory of Resources Utilization, Tokyo Institute of Technology, Yokohama, Japan
J Pharm Pharmacol 52:243-51. 2000..These results indicate that procaine hydrochloride exerts different effects on the growth of microalgal and cyanobacterial cells as functions of dosage, species and culture conditions...
- Sorption of sulfonamide pharmaceutical antibiotics on whole soils and particle-size fractionsS Thiele-Bruhn
Institute of Soil Science and Plant Nutrition, University of Rostock, Justus von Liebig Weg 6, 18051 Rostock, Germany
J Environ Qual 33:1331-42. 2004..Distinct chemical structural properties, such as aromaticity and van der Waals volumes, correlated with the sorption data...
- Development of an immunochromatographic lateral-flow test strip for rapid detection of sulfonamides in eggs and chicken musclesXiliang Wang
College of Veterinary Medicine, and National Reference Laboratory of Veterinary Drug Residues, Huazhong Agricultural University, Wuhan 430070, People s Republic of China
J Agric Food Chem 55:2072-8. 2007..In conclusion, the method is rapid and accurate for the detection of sulfonamides in eggs and chicken muscles...
- Proposition of group molar constants for sodium to calculate the partial solubility parameters of sodium salts using the van Krevelen group contribution methodJ Barra
School of Pharmacy, University of Geneva, Quai Ernest Ansermet 30, 1211, Geneva, Switzerland
Eur J Pharm Sci 10:153-61. 2000..However, they are believed to be a fair approximation of the impact of sodium on the partial solubility parameters and, therefore, can be used as such in the group contribution method of van Krevelen...
- Probing the substrate specificity of the dengue virus type 2 NS3 serine protease by using internally quenched fluorescent peptidesPornwaratt Niyomrattanakit
Laboratory of Molecular Virology, Institute of Molecular Biology and Genetics, Mahidol University, Salaya Campus, Phutthamonthon 4 Rd, Nakornpathom 73170, Thailand
Biochem J 397:203-11. 2006....
- Evaluation of the extent of the binding site in human tissue kallikrein by synthetic substrates with sequences of human kininogen fragmentsE Del Nery
Departamento de Biofisica, Escola Paulista de Medicina, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Biochem J 312:233-8. 1995..1 M NaCl. Because this effect was closely related to an increase in Km, it is likely that sodium competes with the positive charges of the substrate side chains for the same enzyme subsites...
- A conceptual model of the influence of stress on female reproductionHilary Dobson
Department of Veterinary Clinical Science, University of Liverpool, Leahurst, Neston, Wirral CH64 7TE, UK
Reproduction 125:151-63. 2003..Another stress-activated pathway involves the amygdala and bed of the nucleus stria terminalis, which contain CRH neurones and accumulate gamma-aminobenzoic acid during stress...
- High-throughput determination of urinary hexosamines for diagnosis of mucopolysaccharidoses by capillary electrophoresis and high-performance liquid chromatographyGiovanni V Coppa
Department of Clinical Sciences, Polytechnic University of the Marche, Ospedali Riuniti, Presidio Salesi, Ancona, Italy
Anal Biochem 411:32-42. 2011....
- The N-acetylation of arsanilic acid In vitro by mammalian enzymesG S Bayse
Department of Chemistry, Spelman College, Atlanta, Georgia 30314, USA
Drug Metab Dispos 28:487-92. 2000..Using the same assay system and HPLC detection method, the supernatant from bacterial lysates containing recombinant human N-acetyltransferase 1 exhibited acetylation activity toward arsanilate of 720 nmol/min/mg enzyme protein...
- Photoallergic contact dermatitis is uncommonA Darvay
Department of Environmental Dermatology, St John s Institute of Dermatology, St Thomas Hospital, Lambeth Palace Road, London SE1 7EH, UK
Br J Dermatol 145:597-601. 2001..Despite the enormous increase in sunscreen use, allergic contact (AC) and photoallergic (PA) reactions to ultraviolet (UV) filters are considered rare...
- Fluorescence resonance energy transfer (FRET) peptides and cycloretro-inverso peptides derived from bradykinin as substrates and inhibitors of prolyl oligopeptidaseSilvia S Gorrão
Department of Biophysics, Escola Paulista de Medicina, Rua Tres de Maio 100, São Paulo SP 04044 020, Brazil
Peptides 28:2146-54. 2007..All together, these results give information about the POP-substrate/inhibitor interactions that further complete knowledge of this important oligopeptidase...
- Enzymology of the polyenes pimaricin and candicidin biosynthesisJuan F Martin
Universidad de Leon, Dpto Biología Molecular Area de Microbiología, Fac CC Biológicas y Ambientales and Institute of Biotechnology INBIOTEC, Leon, Spain
Methods Enzymol 459:215-42. 2009..The candicidin cluster also includes two ABC transporter genes and four putative transcriptional regulators. Expression of the PABA synthase gene (pabAB) is drastically repressed by phosphate...
- Biomimetic affinity purification of cardiotoxin and its pharmacological effects on the nervous systemDexian Dong
MOE Key Laboratory of Microbial Metabolism, College of Life Science and Biotechnology, Shanghai Jiao Tong University, 800 Dongchuan Road, Shanghai 200240, China
J Mol Recognit 21:148-53. 2008..06 mg/kg (2.8% of the LD(50)). Administration of 0.12 mg/kg cardiotoxin could improve scopolamine impairments of memory in mice. These results suggest that cardiotoxin may be a potential drug for nervous system diseases...
- Polarised expression of human intestinal N-benzoyl-L-tyrosyl-p-aminobenzoic acid hydrolase (human meprin) alpha and beta subunits in Madin-Darby canine kidney cellsJ A Eldering
Institute of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, and Department of Pediatrics, University of Berne, Switzerland
Eur J Biochem 247:920-32. 1997..These studies indicate that assembly of the two subunits of PPH is required for the localisation of the alpha subunit to the plasma membrane. In contrast to rodent meprin, both PPH subunits are apically secreted from MDCK cells...
- Elevated serum PIIINP and laminin in inflammatory bowel disease indicate hepatobiliary and pancreatic dysfunctionB Heikius
Department of Internal Medicine, University Hospital of Oulu, Oulu, Finland
Hepatogastroenterology 49:404-11. 2002....
- Molecular and genetic analyses of arylamine N-acetyltransferase polymorphism of rabbit liverY Sasaki
Department of Molecular Neurobiology, Tokyo Metropolitan Institute for Neurosciences, Japan
J Biol Chem 266:13243-50. 1991..and Deguchi, T. (1990) J. Biol. Chem. 265, 4630-4634; Deguchi, T., Mashimo, M., and Suzuki, T. (1990) J. Biol. Chem. 265, 12757-12760)...
- Contribution of dietary protein and inorganic sulfur to urinary sulfate: toward a biomarker of inorganic sulfur intakeElizabeth A Magee
Department of Molecular and Cellular Pathology, Ninewells Hospital and Medical School, Dundee, United Kingdom
Am J Clin Nutr 80:137-42. 2004..Limits are set on their use in foods because they may adversely affect health. Sulfiting agents are excreted in urine as sulfate, which is indistinguishable from sulfate derived from sulfur amino acids...
- Cellobiose dehydrogenase aryl diazonium modified single walled carbon nanotubes: enhanced direct electron transfer through a positively charged surfaceFederico Tasca
Department of Analytical Chemistry Biochemistry, Lund University, P O Box 124, SE 221 00 Lund, Sweden
Anal Chem 83:3042-9. 2011..The stability of the electrode was greatly increased compared with unmodified but cross-linked SWCNTs electrodes and lost only 15% of the initial current after 50 h of constant potential scanning...
- Linking Pneumocystis jiroveci sulfamethoxazole resistance to the alleles of the DHPS gene using functional complementation in Saccharomyces cerevisiaeR Moukhlis
Universite Pierre et Marie Curie, Paris, France
Clin Microbiol Infect 16:501-7. 2010..Additionally, the S. cerevisiae model proves to be useful for the study of still uninvestigated biological properties of P. jiroveci...
- Analysis of carbohydrates in wood and pulps employing enzymatic hydrolysis and subsequent capillary zone electrophoresisO Dahlman
Swedish Pulp and Paper Research Institute, Stockholm
J Chromatogr A 891:157-74. 2000..e., 30 h incubation at pH 4 and 40 degrees C); whereas mixtures of HexA-xylobiose and HexA-xylotriose were obtained when the incubation was performed at pH 5 or 6...
- Mechanism of photooxidation of folic acid sensitized by unconjugated pterinsM Laura Dantola
INIFTA, Departamento de Quimica, Facultad de Ciencias Exactas, Universidad Nacional de La Plata, CCT La Plata CONICET C C 16, Suc 4, 1900, La Plata, Argentina
Photochem Photobiol Sci 9:1604-12. 2010..This process also takes place with other pterins as photosensitizers. The results are discussed with the context of previous mechanisms for processes photosensitized by pterins, and their biological implications are evaluated...
- In vitro infection of Cryptosporidium parvum to four different cell linesJ R Yu
Department of Parasitology, College of Medicine, Konkuk University, Chungju, Korea
Korean J Parasitol 38:59-64. 2000..3-fold higher when compared to the control media. In this study, we found that the AGS cell line was a suitable host model for evaluating C. parvum in vitro study and the media contents for the optimal infection conditions were suggested...
- Unique anthranilic acid chemistry facilitates profiling and characterization of Ser/Thr-linked sugar chains following hydrazinolysisKalyan Rao Anumula
Analytical Biochemistry, Research and Development, Inhibitex, Alpharetta, GA 30004, USA
Anal Biochem 373:104-11. 2008..The procedures for the release of sugar chains by hydrazinolysis at the microgram level, labeling with fluorescent tag AA, and profiling by HPLC should be useful in characterization of carbohydrates found in glycoproteins...
- Cloning and characterization of a phosphate-regulated promoter involved in phosphate control of candicidin biosynthesisA Rebollo
Departamento de Ecologia, Genética y Microbiología, Facultad de Biologia, Universidad de Leon, Spain
Gene 79:47-58. 1989..The '114-bp' fragment is A + T-rich (54%), as compared to the Streptomyces genome (70-73% GC). The presence of a phosphate control sequence (pcs) in the upstream region of the pabS gene is proposed...
- A continuous fluorometric assay for the feline immunodeficiency virus proteaseM C Fitzgerald
Scripps Research Institute, La Jolla, California 92037, USA
Anal Biochem 254:226-30. 1997..25, 0.2 M NaCl, 0.1 mM EDTA, and 1 mM dithiothreitol). This assay affords a rapid and convenient means for quantitating FIV PR activities and promises to be useful for judging the relative strength of inhibitors...
- Is there any benefit of preservation of the spleen in distal pancreatectomy?K Yamaguchi
Department of Surgery and Oncology, Graduate School of Medical Sciences, Kyushu University, Fukuoka, Japan
Int Surg 86:162-8. 2001..Thus, SPDP is worth considering as one of the options for the treatment of benign lesions of the body or tail of the pancreas...
- Characterization of a non-ribosomal peptide synthetase-associated diiron arylamine N-oxygenase from Pseudomonas syringae pv. phaseolicolaErin Platter
Department of Chemistry, Pomona College, 645 N College Ave, Claremont, CA 91711, USA
Arch Biochem Biophys 508:39-45. 2011..The mechanistic data are consistent with an amine lone pair attacking an activated oxygen atom after formation of the hydroperoxy Fe(III/III) intermediate...
- Effects of pig slurry on the sorption of sulfonamide antibiotics in soilS Thiele-Bruhn
Institute of Soil Science and Plant Nutrition, University of Rostock, Rostock, Germany
Arch Environ Contam Toxicol 47:31-9. 2004..It is suggested that the effect of manure be considered in test methods to determine the soil retention of pharmaceutical substances...
- Deficiency of cytosolic arylamine N-acetylation in the domestic cat and wild felids caused by the presence of a single NAT1-like geneL A Trepanier
Department of Pharmacology, Cornell University, College of Veterinary Medicine, Ithaca, NY, USA
Pharmacogenetics 8:169-79. 1998....
- A comparative study of monosaccharide composition analysis as a carbohydrate test for biopharmaceuticalsAkira Harazono
Division of Biological Chemistry and Biologicals, National Institute of Health Sciences, Setagaya Ku, Tokyo, Japan
Biologicals 39:171-80. 2011..Various HPLC-based monosaccharide analysis methods were evaluated as a carbohydrate test for glycoprotein pharmaceuticals by an inter-laboratory study...
- Development and application of a capillary electrophoresis based method for the assessment of monosaccharide in soil using acid hydrolysisSérgio M Santos
CESAM and Department of Chemistry, University of Aveiro, Aveiro, Portugal
Talanta 72:165-71. 2007..0045+/-0.0003% (glucose) and 0.0267+/-0.0002% (arabinose) of the total soil content. Xylose, rhamnose, mannose, fucose and galactose content were also studied in the present work...
- Photostabilization of papaverine hydrochloride solutionsKarolina Piotrowska
Department of Physical Pharmacy and Pharmacokinetics, Poznan University of Medical Sciences, 6 Swiecickiego St, 60 781 Poznan, Poland
Acta Pol Pharm 67:321-6. 2010....
- Inhibitory effects of polyphenolic compounds on human arylamine N-acetyltransferase 1 and 2V Kukongviriyapan
Department of Pharmacology, Faculty of Medicine, Liver Fluke and Cholangiocarcinoma Research Center, Khon Kaen, Thailand
Xenobiotica 36:15-28. 2006..The most potent inhibitor was quercetin, which has the inhibitory constants for NAT1 and NAT2 of 48.6 +/- 17.3 and 10.0 +/- 1.8 microM, respectively...
- [Analysis of monosaccharides and uronic acids in polysaccharides by pre-column derivatization with p-aminobenzoic acid and high performance liquid chromatography]Guitang Hao
School of Chemistry and Material Engineering of Southern Yangtze University, Wuxi 214036, China
Se Pu 25:75-9. 2007..The results showed this method is suitable for the analysis of monosaccharide compositions in polysaccharides...
- Allergic contact dermatitis from ethyl chloride and benzocaineJuan Luis Anguita Carazo
Unidad de Alergologia, Complejo Hospitalario de Jaen, 23007 Jaén, Spain
Dermatitis 20:E13-5. 2009..We report the first published clinical case of contact allergic dermatitis from two chemically unrelated local anesthetics (EC and benzocaine) in the same patient...
- Evaluation of three different microbial inhibition tests for the detection of sulphamethazine residues in the edible tissues of rabbitIvona Kožárová
Department of Food Hygiene and Technology, University of Veterinary Medicine, Kosice, Slovakia
Food Addit Contam Part A Chem Anal Control Expo Risk Assess 26:978-87. 2009..1 mg kg(-1), established for sulphonamides, are the Premi(R)Test and STAR in conjunction with the solvent-extraction procedure...
- Defining the substrate specificity of mouse cathepsin PLuciano Puzer
Department of Biophysics, Escola Paulista de Medicina, UNIFESP, Rua Tres de Maio 100, São Paulo 04044 020, Brazil
Arch Biochem Biophys 435:190-6. 2005..These results show that cathepsin P, in contrast to other mammalian cathepsins, has a restricted catalytic specificity...
- Human N-benzoyl-L-tyrosyl-p-aminobenzoic acid hydrolase (human meprin): genomic structure of the alpha and beta subunitsD Hahn
Institute of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology and Department of Pediatrics, University of Berne, 3012 Berne, Switzerland
Biochem J 346:83-91. 2000....
- Cloned mouse N-acetyltransferases: enzymatic properties of expressed Nat-1 and Nat-2 gene productsK J Martell
Department of Pharmacology, University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor 48109 0626
Mol Pharmacol 42:265-72. 1992..Comparison of the rates of translation of the rapid and slow isoforms of NAT-2 in an in vitro system showed that NAT-2(99asn) was translated at approximately twice the rate of NAT-2(99ile).(ABSTRACT TRUNCATED AT 400 WORDS)..
- Catalytic properties of recombinant dipeptidyl carboxypeptidase from Escherichia coli: a comparative study with angiotensin I-converting enzymeCarlos Eduardo L Cunha
Department of Biophysics, Federal University of Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, SP, Brazil
Biol Chem 390:931-40. 2009..The phylogenetic relationship of EcDcp and related enzymes belonging to the M3 and M2 families was also investigated and the results corroborate the distinct origins of EcDcp and ACE...
- Determination of some aminobenzoic acid derivatives: glafenine and metoclopramideB A Moussa
Pharmaceutical Chemistry Department, Faculty of Pharmacy, Cairo University, Egypt
J Pharm Biomed Anal 23:1045-55. 2000..The validity of the methods is assessed by applying the standard addition technique, the relative standard deviation is less than 1%. The proposed methods are compared with reference methods with good agreement...
- Double-blind comparison of two types of benzocaine lozenges for the treatment of acute pharyngitisRegina Busch
Analyze and Realize AG, Berlin, Germany
Arzneimittelforschung 60:245-8. 2010..In all other cases tolerability was stated to be "good to very good". The application of the benzocaine lozenges was statistically non-inferior to the use of the pastilles...
- Capillary electrophoresis with laser-induced fluorescence detection for detailed studies on N-linked oligosaccharide profile of therapeutic recombinant monoclonal antibodiesSatoru Kamoda
Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Kinki University, Kowakae 3 4 1, Higashi Osaka 577 8502, Japan
J Chromatogr A 1133:332-9. 2006....
- Plasma concentration of myeloperoxidase enzyme in pre- and post-climacterial people: related superoxide anion generationG Bekesi
2nd Department of Medicine, Semmelweis University, Szentkirályi utca 46, 1088, Budapest, Hungary
Exp Gerontol 37:137-48. 2001..Thus, after further studies MPO might become one of the indicators of cardiovascular risk and the scavenger capacity in general...
- The astacin family of metalloendopeptidasesE Dumermuth
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Berne, Switzerland
J Biol Chem 266:21381-5. 1991..These data provide strong evidence for an evolutionary relationship of these proteins. It is suggested that this new family of metalloendopeptidases be called the "astacin family."..
- Genetic analysis of disulfide isomerization in Escherichia coli: expression of DsbC is modulated by RNase E-dependent mRNA processingXiaoming Zhan
Institute for Cell and Molecular Biology, University of Texas Austin, Austin, Texas 78712, USA
J Bacteriol 186:654-60. 2004..These results (i) confirm the central role of DsbC in disulfide bond isomerization in the bacterial periplasm and (ii) suggest a critical role for RNase E in regulating DsbC expression...
- Novel Inhibitors to DHPS to Probe Catalytic Mechanism &Therapeutic Potential - rStephen W White; Fiscal Year: 2013..aureus and P. jirovecii that have emerged as particularly problematical infectious disease agents in the U.S. in recent years. ..
- BXR SIGNALING IN VERTEBRATE DEVELOPMENTBruce Blumberg; Fiscal Year: 2004..Moreover, because nearly all hormones regulate cell growth and differentiation they and their antagonists are natural candidates in the treatment of human disease, especially cancers. ..
- STRUCTURE-FUNCTION OF CONNEXIN PORESAndrew Harris; Fiscal Year: 2009..In the present proposal, this analysis will be applied to Cx32 and Cx26, defects in which cause X-linked Charcot-Marie-Tooth disease neuropathy and sensorineural deafness, respectively. ..
- Chemotherapy Drug AnalyzerStuart Farquharson; Fiscal Year: 2002..In Phase II a prototype bed-side analyzer will be engineered and head-to-head comparisons to existing technology will be performed. ..
- LIPOPHILIC ANTIFOLATES AND AIDS OPPORTUNISTIC INFECTIONSAndre Rosowsky; Fiscal Year: 2004..Analogs of PT653 with a COOH, NH2, or OH group on the tricyclic moiety, and prodrugs thereof, will be made with the goal of improving aqueous solubility without sacrificing potency or selectivity. ..
- NOVEL APPROACHES TO ANTIFOLATE CHEMOTHERAPYAndre Rosowsky; Fiscal Year: 2003..The focus will be on enhancing polyglutamation of the lead compound dmAMT by modification of the B-ring and/or pABA moiety. ..
- PHARMACOGENETICS OF DRUG AND CARCINOGEN METABOLISMDavid Hein; Fiscal Year: 2009..We also will assess the effect of NAT1 and NAT2 genotypes in breast cancer risk through participation in ongoing molecular epidemiology investigations of breast cancer in Shanghai China and in Nashville, Tennessee. ..
- ARYLAMINE ACETYLTRANSFERASES AND DEVELOPMENTAL TOXICITYCHARLENE MCQUEEN; Fiscal Year: 2002..Such information would be useful in understanding potential human risk pregnancy and development, by identifying susceptible genotypes. ..
- N ACETYLTRANSFERASES--GENOTYPES AND GENOTOXICITYCHARLENE MCQUEEN; Fiscal Year: 2002..These studies will show whether 4AB genotoxicity is modulated by Nat expression. The results will provide insight into genetic regulation of susceptibility to a carcinogen found in tobacco smoke. ..
- Transport and Metabolism of Folate Analogs in E. coliJACALYN GREEN; Fiscal Year: 2004..coli, especially with regard to a newly identified transport protein AbgT. ..
- GENETIC EFFECTS-FOLATE-DEPENDENT ONE-CARBON METABOLISMJESSE GREGORY; Fiscal Year: 2004..In total, these studies will yield new functional data regarding the effects of folate deficiency, and the influence of common polymorphism of MTHFR. ..
- NUTRITIONAL PROPERTIES OF PYRIDOXINE-BETA-GLUCOSIDEJESSE GREGORY; Fiscal Year: 2001..These studies will provide new insight into the regulation of PNG hydrolase that is the rate-limiting enzyme for the utilization of glycosylated B6 in human diets. ..