Genomes and Genes
Summary: Product of the oxidation of ethanol and of the destructive distillation of wood. It is used locally, occasionally internally, as a counterirritant and also as a reagent. (Stedman, 26th ed)
Publications374 found, 100 shown here
- Microscopic diagnosis of sodium acetate-acetic acid-formalin-fixed stool samples for helminths and intestinal protozoa: a comparison among European reference laboratoriesJ Utzinger
Department of Public Health and Epidemiology, Swiss Tropical Institute, Basel, Switzerland
Clin Microbiol Infect 16:267-73. 2010..in diagnosing helminths and intestinal protozoa, using an ether-concentration method applied to sodium acetate-acetic acid-formalin (SAF)-preserved faecal samples...
- YCA1 participates in the acetic acid induced yeast programmed cell death also in a manner unrelated to its caspase-like activityNicoletta Guaragnella
CNR, Istituto di Biomembrane e Bioenergetica, I 70126 Bari, Italy
FEBS Lett 580:6880-4. 2006..Since in Deltayca1 cells this effect is lost, but z-VAD-fmk does not prevent both WT and Deltayca1 cell death, PCD in WT cells occurs via a Yca1p caspase and a non-caspase route with similar characteristics...
- Yeast protein expression profile during acetic acid-induced apoptosis indicates causal involvement of the TOR pathwayBruno Almeida
Life and Health Sciences Research Institute ICVS, School of Health Sciences, University of Minho, Braga, Portugal
Proteomics 9:720-32. 2009Although acetic acid has been shown to induce apoptosis in yeast, the exact apoptotic mechanisms remain unknown...
- Catalase T and Cu,Zn-superoxide dismutase in the acetic acid-induced programmed cell death in Saccharomyces cerevisiaeNicoletta Guaragnella
Dipartimento di Scienze per la Salute, Universita del Molise, Via De Sanctis I, Campobasso, Italy
FEBS Lett 582:210-4. 2008To investigate the role of catalase and superoxide dismutase (SOD) in the acetic acid (AA) induced yeast programmed cell death (AA-PCD), we compared Saccharomyces cerevisiae cells (C-Y) and cells individually over-expressing catalase T (..
- Knock-out of metacaspase and/or cytochrome c results in the activation of a ROS-independent acetic acid-induced programmed cell death pathway in yeastNicoletta Guaragnella
CNR, Istituto di Biomembrane e Bioenergetica, Via Amendola 165 A, 70126 Bari, Italy
FEBS Lett 584:3655-60. 2010To gain further insight into yeast acetic acid-induced programmed cell death (AA-PCD) we analyzed the effects of the antioxidant N-acetyl-L-cysteine (NAC) on cell viability, hydrogen peroxide (H(2)O(2)) production, DNA fragmentation, ..
- Hydrogen peroxide and superoxide anion production during acetic acid-induced yeast programmed cell deathN Guaragnella
Dipartimento di Scienze per la Salute, Universita del Molise, 86100 Campobasso, Italy
Folia Microbiol (Praha) 52:237-40. 2007Hydrogen peroxide production in yeast cells undergoing programmed cell death in response to acetic acid occurred in the majority of live cells 15 min after death induction and was no longer detectable after 60 min...
- Mitochondrial degradation in acetic acid-induced yeast apoptosis: the role of Pep4 and the ADP/ATP carrierClara Pereira
CBMA Centre of Molecular and Environmental Biology Department of Biology, University of Minho, Campus de Gualtar, 4710 057 Braga, Portugal
Mol Microbiol 76:1398-410. 2010We have previously shown that acetic acid activates a mitochondria-dependent death process in Saccharomyces cerevisiae and that the ADP/ATP carrier (AAC) is required for mitochondrial outer membrane permeabilization and cytochrome c ..
- Yeast genes involved in response to lactic acid and acetic acid: acidic conditions caused by the organic acids in Saccharomyces cerevisiae cultures induce expression of intracellular metal metabolism genes regulated by Aft1pMiho Kawahata
National Research Institute of Brewing, Kagamiyama, Higashi Hiroshima, Japan
FEMS Yeast Res 6:924-36. 2006Using two types of genome-wide analysis to investigate yeast genes involved in response to lactic acid and acetic acid, we found that the acidic condition affects metal metabolism...
- Accuracy of visual inspection with acetic acid for cervical cancer screeningCatherine Sauvaget
Early Detection and Prevention Section, Screening Group, International Agency for Research on Cancer, Lyon, France
Int J Gynaecol Obstet 113:14-24. 2011To provide an updated estimation of the accuracy of visual inspection with acetic acid (VIA) in detecting true disease.
- Inhibition of Escherichia coli growth by acetic acid: a problem with methionine biosynthesis and homocysteine toxicityAndrew J Roe
Department of Molecular and Cell Biology, Institute of Medical Sciences, University of Aberdeen, Foresterhill, Aberdeen AB25 2ZD, UK
Microbiology 148:2215-22. 2002..coli cells. Acetate inhibition of growth arises from the depletion of the intracellular methionine pool with the concomitant accumulation of the toxic intermediate homocysteine and this augments the effect of lowering cytoplasmic pH...
- Saccharomyces cerevisiae commits to a programmed cell death process in response to acetic acidP Ludovico
, Universidade do Minho, Campus de Gualtar, 4719-057 Braga, Portugal Imunologia Comparada, Instituto de Biologia Molecular e Celular (IBMC, 4150-171 Porto, Portugal
Microbiology 147:2409-15. 2001..Here, exposure of S. cerevisiae to 20-200 mM acetic acid for 200 min at pH 3.0 resulted in cell death...
- Adaptive response to acetic acid in the highly resistant yeast species Zygosaccharomyces bailii revealed by quantitative proteomicsJoana F Guerreiro
Institute for Biotechnology and Bioengineering, Centre for Biological and Chemical Engineering, Department of Bioengineering, Instituto Superior Tecnico, Technical University of Lisbon, Portugal
Proteomics 12:2303-18. 2012Zygosaccharomyces bailii is the most tolerant yeast species to acetic acid-induced toxicity, being able to grow in the presence of concentrations of this food preservative close to the legal limits. For this reason, Z...
- Implementation of cervical cancer screening using visual inspection with acetic acid in rural Mozambique: successes and challenges using HIV care and treatment programme investments in Zambézia ProvinceTroy D Moon
Department of Pediatrics, Vanderbilt Institute for Global Health, Nashville, TN 37203, USA
J Int AIDS Soc 15:17406. 2012..This was done using visual inspection with acetic acid (VIA) by maternal child health nurses...
- Asaia, a versatile acetic acid bacterial symbiont, capable of cross-colonizing insects of phylogenetically distant genera and ordersElena Crotti
Dipartimento di Scienze e Tecnologie Alimentari e Microbiologiche, Universita degli Studi di Milano, 20133 Milan, Italy
Environ Microbiol 11:3252-64. 2009..Here we show that the acetic acid bacterium Asaia, previously found in the malaria mosquito vector Anopheles stephensi, is also present in, and ..
- Inhibition of spoilage mould conidia by acetic acid and sorbic acid involves different modes of action, requiring modification of the classical weak-acid theoryMalcolm Stratford
School of Biology, University of Nottingham, University Park, Nottingham, United Kingdom
Int J Food Microbiol 136:37-43. 2009Fungal spoilage of many foods is prevented by weak-acid preservatives such as sorbic acid or acetic acid. We show that sorbic and acetic acids do not both inhibit cells by lowering of internal pH alone and that the "classical weak-acid ..
- Performance of visual inspection with acetic acid for cervical cancer screening: a qualitative summary of evidence to dateLynne Gaffikin
Cervical Cancer Prevention Program, JHPIEGO Corporation and Evaluation and Research Technologies for Health, Baltimore, Maryland 21231 3492, USA
Obstet Gynecol Surv 58:543-50. 2003..Recently, interest in visual inspection with acetic acid (VIA) has increased...
- Hog1 mitogen-activated protein kinase phosphorylation targets the yeast Fps1 aquaglyceroporin for endocytosis, thereby rendering cells resistant to acetic acidMehdi Mollapour
Department of Molecular Biology and Biotechnology, University of Sheffield, Firth Court, Western Bank, Sheffield S10 2TN, United Kingdom
Mol Cell Biol 27:6446-56. 2007..Hog1 MAPK is transiently activated in yeast exposed to high, toxic levels of acetic acid. This Hog1 then phosphorylates the plasma membrane aquaglyceroporin, Fps1, a phosphorylation that results in ..
- Apoptosis induced by environmental stresses and amphotericin B in Candida albicansAndrew J Phillips
Department of Molecular and Cell Biology, Institute of Medical Sciences, University of Aberdeen, Foresterhill, AB25 2ZD Aberdeen, Scotland
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 100:14327-32. 2003..Here we assess the physiology of death in C. albicans in response to environmental stresses (acetic acid and hydrogen peroxide) and an antifungal agent (amphotericin B). Exposure of C...
- Randomised controlled trial comparing percutaneous radiofrequency thermal ablation, percutaneous ethanol injection, and percutaneous acetic acid injection to treat hepatocellular carcinoma of 3 cm or lessS M Lin
Liver Research Unit, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, Chang Gung University, 199 Tung Hwa North Rd, Taipei, Taiwan
Gut 54:1151-6. 2005The aim of this study was to compare the outcomes of radiofrequency thermal ablation (RFTA), percutaneous ethanol injection (PEI), and percutaneous acetic acid injection (PAI) in the treatment of hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC).
- Genome-wide identification of Saccharomyces cerevisiae genes required for tolerance to acetic acidNuno P Mira
Institute for Biotechnology and Bioengineering, Centre for Biological and Chemical Engineering, Technical University of Lisbon, Lisboa, Portugal
Microb Cell Fact 9:79. 2010b>Acetic acid is a byproduct of Saccharomyces cerevisiae alcoholic fermentation. Together with high concentrations of ethanol and other toxic metabolites, acetic acid may contribute to fermentation arrest and reduced ethanol productivity...
- Novel stress responses facilitate Saccharomyces cerevisiae growth in the presence of the monocarboxylate preservativesMehdi Mollapour
Department of Molecular Biology and Biotechnology, University of Sheffield, Firth Court, Western Bank, Sheffield S10 2TN, UK
Yeast 25:169-77. 2008..Acquisition of resistance to acetic acid involves loss of Fps1p, the aquaglyceroporin of the plasma membrane that facilitates the passive diffusional ..
- Acetic acid induces a programmed cell death process in the food spoilage yeast Zygosaccharomyces bailiiPaula Ludovico
Centro de Ciências do Ambiente Departamento de Biologia, Universidade do Minho, Campus de Gualtar, 4719 057, Braga, Portugal
FEMS Yeast Res 3:91-6. 2003Here we show that 320-800 mM acetic acid induces in Zygosaccharomyces bailii a programmed cell death (PCD) process that is inhibited by cycloheximide, is accompanied by structural and biochemical alterations typical of apoptosis, and ..
- Beneficial effects of N-acetylcysteine on acetic acid-induced colitis in ratsAli Cetinkaya
Department of Internal Medicine, Medical Faculty, Sutcuimam University, Kahramanmaras, Turkey
Tohoku J Exp Med 206:131-9. 2005..The aim of the present study was to evaluate possible protective effects of N-acetylcysteine against acetic acid-induced colitis in a rat model...
- Correlation of cervical cytology and visual inspection with acetic acid in HIV-positive womenA L Akinwuntan
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, University College Hospital, Ibadan, Nigeria
J Obstet Gynaecol 28:638-41. 2008..A cervical cytology (Pap smear) was taken, followed by visual inspection with freshly prepared 5% acetic acid and cervical biopsy taken from the squamocolumnar junction as the reference for diagnosis to avoid verification ..
- Flying the fly: long-range flight behavior of Drosophila melanogaster to attractive odorsPaul G Becher
Chemical Ecology Group, SLU, 23053 Alnarp, Sweden
J Chem Ecol 36:599-607. 2010..The main volatile component of vinegar, acetic acid, elicited significant attraction as a single compound...
- The effects of sacral acupuncture on acetic acid-induced bladder irritation in conscious ratsKokoro Hino
Department of Clinical Acupuncture and Moxibustion, Meiji University of Integrative Medicine, Hiyoshi cho, Nantan, Kyoto, Japan
Urology 75:730-4. 2010To investigate the effects of sacral acupuncture on acetic acid-induced bladder irritation using cystometry in conscious rats, with particular focus on effects on afferent fibers of the bladder.
- Spontaneous organic cocoa bean box fermentations in Brazil are characterized by a restricted species diversity of lactic acid bacteria and acetic acid bacteriaZoi Papalexandratou
Research Group of Industrial Microbiology and Food Biotechnology, Vrije Universiteit Brussel, Pleinlaan 2, B 1050 Brussels, Belgium
Food Microbiol 28:1326-38. 2011..Physical parameters, microbial growth, bacterial species diversity [mainly lactic acid bacteria (LAB) and acetic acid bacteria (AAB)], and metabolite kinetics were monitored, and chocolates were produced from the fermented dry ..
- Acetic acid-guided biopsies after magnifying endoscopy compared with random biopsies in the detection of Barrett's esophagus: a prospective randomized trial with crossover designA Hoffman
I Med Clinic und Poliklinik, Institute for Statistics, Johannes Gutenberg University Mainz, Langenbeckstrasse 1, 55101 Mainz, Germany
Gastrointest Endosc 64:1-8. 2006In contrast to standard video endoscopy, magnifying endoscopy after local acetic acid application enables recognition of mucosal surface architecture.
- Dynamics and biodiversity of populations of lactic acid bacteria and acetic acid bacteria involved in spontaneous heap fermentation of cocoa beans in GhanaNicholas Camu
Research Group of Industrial Microbiology and Food Biotechnology IMDO, Vrije Universiteit Brussel VUB, Pleinlaan 2, B 1050 Brussels, Belgium
Appl Environ Microbiol 73:1809-24. 2007..revealed a limited biodiversity and targeted population dynamics of both lactic acid bacteria (LAB) and acetic acid bacteria (AAB) during fermentation...
- Enhancement of acetic acid tolerance in Saccharomyces cerevisiae by overexpression of the HAA1 gene, encoding a transcriptional activatorKoichi Tanaka
Research Division of Microbial Sciences, Kyoto University, Sakyo ku, Kyoto, Japan
Appl Environ Microbiol 78:8161-3. 2012..Here we show that the constitutive HAA1-overexpressing strain acquired a higher level of acetic acid tolerance...
- Effect of Boswellia serrata on antioxidant status in an experimental model of colitis rats induced by acetic acidRenata Minuzzo Hartmann
Programa de Pós Graduação em Medicina Ciências Médicas, Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul, Rua José Kanan Aranha no 102, Porto Alegre, Rio Grande do Sul, CEP 91760 470, Brazil
Dig Dis Sci 57:2038-44. 2012To evaluate the antioxidant effect of an extract of the plant Boswellia serrata in an experimental model of acute ulcerative colitis induced by administration of acetic acid (AA) in rats.
- Acetic acid detection threshold in synthetic wine samples of a portable electronic noseMiguel Macías Macías
University Center of Merida, University of Extremadura, Sta Teresa de Jornet, 38, Mérida 06800, Spain
Sensors (Basel) 13:208-20. 2013..One of the most important wine faults is the excessive concentration of acetic acid which can cause a wine to take on vinegar aromas and reduce its varietal character...
- Yeast growth in raffinose results in resistance to acetic-acid induced programmed cell death mostly due to the activation of the mitochondrial retrograde pathwayNicoletta Guaragnella
CNR, Istituto di Biomembrane e Bioenergetica, Via Amendola 165 A, 70126 Bari, Italy
Biochim Biophys Acta 1833:2765-74. 2013..modification of mitochondrial metabolism can affect yeast sensitivity to programmed cell death (PCD) induced by acetic acid (AA-PCD), yeast cells were grown on raffinose, as a sole carbon source, which, differently from glucose, ..
- Saccharomyces cerevisiae adaptation to weak acids involves the transcription factor Haa1p and Haa1p-regulated genesA R Fernandes
Biological Sciences Research Group, Centro de Engenharia Biologica e Quimica, Instituto Superior Tecnico, 1049 001 Lisboa, Portugal
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 337:95-103. 2005..The acetic acid-induced prolongation of the lag phase of unadapted cell populations lacking HAA1 or TPO3, compared with wild-..
- Beneficial effects of THSG on acetic acid-induced experimental colitis: involvement of upregulation of PPAR-γ and inhibition of the Nf-Κb inflammatory pathwayCheng Zeng
Department of Pharmacology, Tongji Medical College, Huazhong University of Science and Technology, Wuhan 430030, China
Molecules 16:8552-68. 2011..Here, we examined the effects of THSG on experimental mice with colitis induced by acetic acid and whether the underlying mechanisms were associated with the PPAR-γ and NF-κB pathways...
- Visual screening for early detection of cervical neoplasia in AngolaRichard Muwonge
Screening Group, International Agency for Research on Cancer, Lyon, France
Int J Gynaecol Obstet 111:68-72. 2010A cross-sectional study in Angola to evaluate the feasibility of cervical screening using visual inspection with acetic acid (VIA) or Lugol's iodine (VILI) to detect and treat cervical intraepithelial neoplasia (CIN).
- Cytochrome c Trp65Ser substitution results in inhibition of acetic acid-induced programmed cell death in Saccharomyces cerevisiaeNicoletta Guaragnella
CNR, Istituto di Biomembrane e Bioenergetica, I 70126 Bari, Italy
Mitochondrion 11:987-91. 2011To gain further insight into the role of cytochrome c (cyt c) in yeast programmed cell death induced by acetic acid (AA-PCD), comparison was made between wild type and two mutant cells, one lacking cyt c and the other (W65Scyc1) ..
- Acetic acid upregulates the expression of genes for fatty acid oxidation enzymes in liver to suppress body fat accumulationTomoo Kondo
Central Research Institute, Mizkan Group Corporation, Handa, Aichi 475 8585, Japan
J Agric Food Chem 57:5982-6. 2009We investigated the effect of acetic acid (AcOH) on the prevention of obesity in high-fat-fed mice. The mice were intragastrically administrated with water or 0.3 or 1.5% AcOH for 6 weeks...
- Isobolographic analysis of interaction between cyclooxygenase inhibitors and tramadol in acetic acid-induced writhing in micePadi S V Satyanarayana
Pharmacology Division, University Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Panjab University, Chandigarh 160014, India
Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry 28:641-9. 2004..evaluating the combination of different NSAIDs, which inhibit cyclooxygenase (COX) enzymes and tramadol against acetic acid-induced writhing in mice...
- Anti-inflammatory effects of leptin and cholecystokinin on acetic acid-induced colitis in rats: role of capsaicin-sensitive vagal afferent fibersAyhan Bozkurt
Department of Physiology, School of Medicine, Marmara University, Haydarpasa, Istanbul, 34668, Turkey
Regul Pept 116:109-18. 2003..or CCK-8s was injected to rats intraperitoneally immediately before and 6 h after the induction of colitis with acetic acid. CCK-A receptor antagonist (L-364,718) or CCK-B receptor antagonist (L-365,260) was injected intraperitoneally ..
- Achievements and perspectives in yeast acetic acid-induced programmed cell death pathwaysNicoletta Guaragnella
CNR, Istituto di Biomembrane e Bioenergetica, Via Amendola 165 A, 70126 Bari, Italy
Biochem Soc Trans 39:1538-43. 2011..in the elucidation of the events leading to PCD that occur as a response to yeast treatment with AA (acetic acid)...
- Teprenone promotes the healing of acetic acid-induced chronic gastric ulcers in rats by inhibiting neutrophil infiltration and lipid peroxidation in ulcerated gastric tissuesT Kobayashi
Department of Internal Medicine, Second Teaching Hospital, School of Medicine, Fujita Health University, Nagoya, Aichi, 454-8509, Japan
Pharmacol Res 43:23-30. 2001Teprenone, an anti-ulcer drug, has been reported to promote the healing of acetic acid-induced chronic gastric ulcers in rats by stimulating gastric mucus synthesis and secretion...
- B vitamins induce an antinociceptive effect in the acetic acid and formaldehyde models of nociception in miceD S França
Laboratory of Pharmacology, Faculty of Pharmacy, Federal University of Minas Gerais, Avenida Olegário Maciel 2360, 30180 112 MG, Belo Horizonte, Brazil
Eur J Pharmacol 421:157-64. 2001..p) induced an antinociceptive effect, not changed by naloxone (10 mg/kg, i.p.), in the acetic acid writhing model. Treatment for 7 days with thiamine/pyridoxine/cyanocobalamin (100 or 200 mg/kg, i.p...
- Rebamipide prevents delay of acetic acid-induced gastric ulcer healing caused by Helicobacter pylori infection in Mongolian gerbilsToshio Watanabe
Department of Gastroenterology, Osaka City University Medical School, Japan
Dig Dis Sci 47:1582-9. 2002..Male Mongolian gerbils were inoculated with H. pylori or vehicle alone 12 hr after the production of an acetic acid-induced gastric ulcer. On day 5, the gerbils inoculated with H...
- Batch and continuous culture-based selection strategies for acetic acid tolerance in xylose-fermenting Saccharomyces cerevisiaeJeremiah Wright
Department of Biotechnology, Delft University of Technology, Delft, The Netherlands
FEMS Yeast Res 11:299-306. 2011b>Acetic acid tolerance of Saccharomyces cerevisiae is crucial for the production of bioethanol and other bulk chemicals from lignocellulosic plant-biomass hydrolysates, especially at a low pH...
- Cytochrome c is released from coupled mitochondria of yeast en route to acetic acid-induced programmed cell death and can work as an electron donor and a ROS scavengerSergio Giannattasio
CNR, Istituto di Biomembrane e Bioenergetica, I 70126 Bari, and Trani BA, Italy
FEBS Lett 582:1519-25. 2008To gain insight into the processes by which acetic acid-induced programmed cell death (AA-PCD) takes place in yeast, we investigated both cytochrome c release from yeast mitochondria and mitochondrial coupling over the time course of AA-..
- Clinical outcomes of radiofrequency ablation, percutaneous alcohol and acetic acid injection for hepatocelullar carcinoma: a meta-analysisGiacomo Germani
The Royal Free Sheila Sherlock Liver Centre and University Department of Surgery, Royal Free Hospital, Pond Street, London, UK
J Hepatol 52:380-8. 2010..Percutaneous ethanol injection (PEI) is less frequently used, and percutaneous acetic acid injection (PAI) has been mostly abandoned...
- Percutaneous local ablative therapy for hepatocellular carcinoma: a review and look into the futureW Y Lau
Department of Surgery, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Prince of Wales Hospital, Shatin, New Territories, Hong Kong SAR, China
Ann Surg 237:171-9. 2003..To review and compare treatment result for percutaneous local ablative therapy (PLAT) with surgical resection in the treatment of small hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC)...
- Yeast acetic acid-induced programmed cell death can occur without cytochrome c release which requires metacaspase YCA1Nicoletta Guaragnella
CNR, Istituto di Biomembrane e Bioenergetica, Bari, Italy
FEBS Lett 584:224-8. 2010To investigate the role of cytochrome c (cyt c) release in yeast acetic acid-induced programmed cell death (AA-PCD), wild type (wt) and cells lacking metacaspase (Deltayca1), cytochrome c (Deltacyc1,7) and both (Deltacyc1,7Deltayca1) ..
- Effects of acetic acid and lactic acid on the growth of Saccharomyces cerevisiae in a minimal mediumN V Narendranath
Department of Applied Microbiology and Food Science, University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon, Canada
J Ind Microbiol Biotechnol 26:171-7. 2001..9) as the concentrations of acetic acid or lactic acid were increased in minimal media at 30 degrees C...
- Comparison of computed virtual chromoendoscopy and conventional chromoendoscopy with acetic acid for detection of neoplasia in Barrett's esophagusJ Pohl
Department of Internal Medicine II, Dr Horst Schmidt Kliniken Medical School of the University of Mainz, Wiesbaden, Germany
Endoscopy 39:594-8. 2007..randomized pilot study with a crossover design was to compare CVC with conventional chromoendoscopy with acetic acid (CAA) for the detection of high grade intraepithelial neoplasia (HGIN) or early cancer in patients with Barrett'..
- Ady2p is essential for the acetate permease activity in the yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiaeSandra Paiva
Centro de Ciências do Ambiente, Departamento de Biologia, Universidade do Minho, 4710 057 Braga Codex, Portugal
Yeast 21:201-10. 2004..in Saccharomyces cerevisiae, an analysis of the gene expression profiles of cells shifted from glucose to acetic acid was performed...
- Hog1p mitogen-activated protein kinase determines acetic acid resistance in Saccharomyces cerevisiaeMehdi Mollapour
Department of Molecular Biology and Biotechnology, University of Sheffield, Sheffield, UK
FEMS Yeast Res 6:1274-80. 2006When glucose-repressed, Saccharomyces cerevisiae cannot use acetic acid as a carbon source and is inhibited in growth by high levels of this compound, especially at low pH...
- Elimination of glycerol production in anaerobic cultures of a Saccharomyces cerevisiae strain engineered to use acetic acid as an electron acceptorVíctor Guadalupe Medina
Kluyver Centre for Genomics of Industrial Fermentation, Julianalaan 67, 2628 BC Delft, The Netherlands
Appl Environ Microbiol 76:190-5. 2010..cerevisiae such that it can reoxidize NADH by the reduction of acetic acid to ethanol via NADH-dependent reactions...
- HPV screening for cervical cancer in rural IndiaRengaswamy Sankaranarayanan
International Agency for Research on Cancer, Lyon, France
N Engl J Med 360:1385-94. 2009..screening by testing for human papillomavirus (HPV), cytologic testing, or visual inspection of the cervix with acetic acid (VIA) on the incidence of cervical cancer and the associated rates of death in the Osmanabad district in India.
- Acetic acid activates hepatic AMPK and reduces hyperglycemia in diabetic KK-A(y) miceShoji Sakakibara
Central Research Institute, Mizkan Group Co, Ltd, Aichi 475 8585, Japan
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 344:597-604. 2006b>Acetic acid (AcOH), which is a short-chain fatty acid, is reported to have some beneficial effects on metabolism...
- Cytochrome c release and mitochondria involvement in programmed cell death induced by acetic acid in Saccharomyces cerevisiaePaula Ludovico
Centro de Ciências do Ambiente, Departamento de Biologia, Universidade do Minho, 4710 057 Braga, Portugal
Mol Biol Cell 13:2598-606. 2002..that mitochondria are implicated in the previously described programmed cell death (PCD) process induced by acetic acid in Saccharomyces cerevisiae...
- Electroacupuncture attenuates visceral hyperalgesia and inhibits the enhanced excitability of colon specific sensory neurons in a rat model of irritable bowel syndromeG Y Xu
Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, TX 77555 0655, USA
Neurogastroenterol Motil 21:1302-e125. 2009..CVH was induced by intracolonic injection of acetic acid (AA) in 10-day-old rats. Electromyography and patch clamp recordings were performed at age of 8-10 weeks...
- Characterization of DNA damage in yeast apoptosis induced by hydrogen peroxide, acetic acid, and hyperosmotic shockGabriela F Ribeiro
Departamento de Biologia, Centro de Biologia Universidade do Minho, Campus de Gualtar, 4710 057 Braga, Portugal
Mol Biol Cell 17:4584-91. 2006..Cells treated with hydrogen peroxide or acetic acid staining positively for TUNEL assay stained negatively for in situ ligation, indicating that DNA damage in both ..
- Ysp2 mediates death of yeast induced by amiodarone or intracellular acidificationSviatoslav Sokolov
Molecular Biology Department, Faculty of Biology, Lomonosov Moscow State University, Moscow 119899, Russia
Biochim Biophys Acta 1757:1366-70. 2006..We have found that acetic acid-induced PCD also depends on Ysp2...
- Acid stress adaptation protects Saccharomyces cerevisiae from acetic acid-induced programmed cell deathSergio Giannattasio
Istituto di Biomembrane e Bioenergetica, Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche, Bari, Italy
Gene 354:93-8. 2005In this work evidence is presented that acid stress adaptation protects Saccharomyces cerevisiae from acetic acid-mediated programmed cell death...
- Comparative lipidomics of four strains of Saccharomyces cerevisiae reveals different responses to furfural, phenol, and acetic acidJin Mei Xia
Key Laboratory of Systems Bioengineering, Ministry of Education, School of Chemical Engineering and Technology, Tianjin University, Tianjin, People s Republic of China
J Agric Food Chem 57:99-108. 2009..cerevisiae to furfural, phenol, and acetic acid, comparative lipidomics strategy was employed using an LC-ESI/MS(n) technique on four S...
- Targeting pain-suppressed behaviors in preclinical assays of pain and analgesia: effects of morphine on acetic acid-suppressed feeding in C57BL/6J miceGlenn W Stevenson
Alcohol and Drug Abuse Research Center, McLean Hospital Harvard Medical School, Belmont, Massachusetts 02478, USA
J Pain 7:408-16. 2006..effects of the mu opioid analgesic morphine and the nonanalgesic neuroleptic haloperidol on intraperitoneal acetic acid-induced writhing (a pain-elicited behavior) and suppression of feeding behavior (a pain-suppressed behavior)...
- Succession of selected strains of Acetobacter pasteurianus and other acetic acid bacteria in traditional balsamic vinegarMaria Gullo
Department of Agricultural and Food Sciences Dipsaa, Via Amendola 2, 42100 Reggio Emilia, Italy
Appl Environ Microbiol 75:2585-9. 2009..Results suggested that double-culture fermentation is suitable for traditional balsamic vinegar acetification...
- Effects of acetic acid on the kinetics of xylose fermentation by an engineered, xylose-isomerase-based Saccharomyces cerevisiae strainEleonora Bellissimi
Department of Biotechnology, Delft University of Technology, Delft, The Netherlands
FEMS Yeast Res 9:358-64. 2009b>Acetic acid, an inhibitor released during hydrolysis of lignocellulosic feedstocks, has previously been shown to negatively affect the kinetics and stoichiometry of sugar fermentation by (engineered) Saccharomyces cerevisiae strains...
- Dietary Dunaliella bardawil, a beta-carotene-rich alga, protects against acetic acid-induced small bowel inflammation in ratsAlexandra Lavy
Department of Gastroenterology, B nai Zion Medical Center, Haifa, Israel
Inflamm Bowel Dis 9:372-9. 2003..Reactive oxygen species mediate tissue injury in inflammatory bowel disease. Beta-carotene is known as a potent free radical quencher and antioxidant...
- Membrane lipid physiology and toxin catabolism underlie ethanol and acetic acid tolerance in Drosophila melanogasterKristi L Montooth
Department of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology, Brown University, Providence, RI 02912, USA
J Exp Biol 209:3837-50. 2006Drosophila melanogaster has evolved the ability to tolerate and utilize high levels of ethanol and acetic acid encountered in its rotting-fruit niche...
- 5-Fluorouracil acetic acid/beta-cyclodextrin conjugates: drug release behavior in enzymatic and rat cecal mediaKoichi Udo
Graduate School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Kumamoto University, 5 1 Oe honmachi, Kumamoto 862 0973, Japan
Int J Pharm 388:95-100. 20105-Fluorouracil-1-acetic acid (5-FUA) was prepared and covalently conjugated to beta-cyclodextrin (beta-CyD) through ester or amide linkage, and the drug release behavior of the conjugates in enzymatic solutions and rat cecal contents ..
- The impact of acetate metabolism on yeast fermentative performance and wine quality: reduction of volatile acidity of grape musts and winesAlice Vilela-Moura
Institute for Biotechnology and Bioengineering, Centre of Genomic and Biotechnology, IBB CGB UTAD, Universidade de Tras os Montes e Alto Douro, 5001 801 Vila Real, Portugal
Appl Microbiol Biotechnol 89:271-80. 2011b>Acetic acid is the main component of the volatile acidity of grape musts and wines...
- Vitamin E has a dual effect of anti-inflammatory and antioxidant activities in acetic acid-induced ulcerative colitis in ratsGulgun Tahan
Department of General Surgery, Istanbul University Cerrahpasa Medical Faculty, Istanbul, Turkey
Can J Surg 54:333-8. 2011..We investigated the effects of vitamin E on inflammatory activities using an acetic acid (AA)-induced ulcerative colitis model in rats.
- Genome sequences of the high-acetic acid-resistant bacteria Gluconacetobacter europaeus LMG 18890T and G. europaeus LMG 18494 (reference strains), G. europaeus 5P3, and Gluconacetobacter oboediens 174Bp2 (isolated from vinegar)Cristina Andrés-Barrao
Department of Botany and Plant Biology, Microbiology Unit, University of Geneva, Chemin des Embrouchis 10, CH 1254 Jussy Geneva, Switzerland
J Bacteriol 193:2670-1. 2011Bacteria of the genus Gluconacetobacter are usually involved in the industrial production of vinegars with high acetic acid concentrations...
- Individual cells of Saccharomyces cerevisiae and Zygosaccharomyces bailii exhibit different short-term intracellular pH responses to acetic acidN Arneborg
Department of Dairy and Food Science, The Royal Veterinary and Agricultural University, Frederiksberg C, Denmark
Arch Microbiol 174:125-8. 2000The effects of perfusion with 2.7 and 26 mM undissociated acetic acid in the absence or presence of glucose on short-term intracellular pH (pH(i)) changes in individual Saccharormyces cerevisiae and Zygosaccharomyces bailii cells were ..
- Screen-and-treat approach to cervical cancer prevention using visual inspection with acetic acid and cryotherapy: experiences, perceptions, and beliefs from demonstration projects in Peru, Uganda, and VietnamProma Paul
PATH, Seattle, Washington, USA
Oncologist 18:6-12. 2013..Studies have demonstrated that screening by visual inspection of the cervix using acetic acid (VIA) is a simple, affordable, and sensitive test that can identify precancerous changes of the cervix so that ..
- Attenuation of acetic acid-induced gastric ulcer formation in rats by glucosylceramide synthase inhibitorsManabu Nakashita
Division of Gastroentrology and Hepatology, Department of Internal Medicine, School of Medicine, Keio University, 35 Shinanomachi, Shinjuku ku, Tokyo, 160 8582, Japan
Dig Dis Sci 58:354-62. 2013..The present study is designed to investigate whether accumulated ceramide could serve as the effector molecules of ulcer formation in a rat model of acetic acid-induced gastric ulcer.
- Screening for cervical neoplasia in Bangladesh using visual inspection with acetic acidAshrafun Nessa
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujib Medical University Hospital, Dhaka, Bangladesh
Int J Gynaecol Obstet 111:115-8. 2010To report the organization and early results of a visual inspection with acetic acid (VIA) screening program for cervical cancer prevention in Bangladesh.
- Protective effect of embelin against acetic acid induced ulcerative colitis in ratsBoreddy Shivanandappa Thippeswamy
Sree Siddaganga College of Pharmacy, Tumkur, KN, India
Eur J Pharmacol 654:100-5. 2011The aim of the present study is to evaluate the effect of embelin isolated from Embelia ribes on acetic acid induced colitis in rats. Experimental animals received embelin (25 and 50 mg/kg, p.o.) and sulfasalazine (100mg/kg, p.o...
- Effects of trimetazidine on acetic acid-induced colitis in female Swiss ratsFiliz Kuralay
Dokuz Eylul University School of Medicine, Department of Biochemistry, Balcova, 35340, Izmir, Turkey
J Toxicol Environ Health A 66:169-79. 2003Induction of colitis by acetic acid (AA) in the rat is widely used experimental model of inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) and ulcerations...
- Differentiation of acetic acid bacteria based on sequence analysis of 16S-23S rRNA gene internal transcribed spacer sequencesAngel Gonzalez
Departament de Bioquimica i Biotecnologia, Facultat de Enologia, Universitat Rovira i Virgili, Tarragona, Spain
Int J Food Microbiol 147:217-22. 2011The 16S-23S gene internal transcribed spacer sequence of sixty-four strains belonging to different acetic acid bacteria genera were analyzed, and phylogenetic trees were generated for each genera...
- The physiological stimulus for the BarA sensor kinaseRicardo Gonzalez Chavez
Departamento de Genetica Molecular, Instituto de Fisiologia Celular, Universidad Nacional Autonoma de Mexico, Mexico City, Mexico
J Bacteriol 192:2009-12. 2010..Here, we show that the metabolic end products formate and acetate provide a physiological stimulus for this TCS and thus link posttranscriptional regulation by the Csr system to the metabolic state of the cell...
- Zinc(II)-curcumin accelerates the healing of acetic acid-induced chronic gastric ulcers in rats by decreasing oxidative stress and downregulation of matrix metalloproteinase-9Xue ting Mei
Laboratory of Traditional Chinese Medicine and Marine Drugs, School of Life Sciences, Sun Yat Sen University, Guangzhou 510275, China
Food Chem Toxicol 60:448-54. 2013..the anti-ulcerogenic effects of the Zn(II)-curcumin complex, a curcumin derivative, on the healing of acetic acid-induced gastric ulcers in rats...
- Protective effect of Bauhinia tomentosa on acetic acid induced ulcerative colitis by regulating antioxidant and inflammatory mediatorsNarayanan Kannan
Department of Biotechnology, Karunya University, Karunya Nagar, Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu, India
Int Immunopharmacol 16:57-66. 2013..wt respectively) for 5 consecutive days before induction of UC. UC was induced by intracolonic injection of 3% acetic acid. The colonic mucosal injury was assessed by macroscopic scoring and histological examination...
- Acetate-induced apoptosis in colorectal carcinoma cells involves lysosomal membrane permeabilization and cathepsin D releaseC Marques
CBMA Centre of Molecular and Environmental Biology, Department of Biology, University of Minho, Campus de Gualtar, Braga, Portugal
Cell Death Dis 4:e507. 2013..We previously reported that acetic acid-induced apoptosis in Saccharomyces cerevisiae cells involves partial vacuole permeabilization and release of ..
- The fate of acetic acid during glucose co-metabolism by the spoilage yeast Zygosaccharomyces bailiiFernando Rodrigues
Life and Health Sciences Research Institute ICVS, School of Health Sciences, University of Minho, Braga, Portugal
PLoS ONE 7:e52402. 2012Zygosaccharomyces bailii is one of the most widely represented spoilage yeast species, being able to metabolise acetic acid in the presence of glucose...
- Lack of Sir2 increases acetate consumption and decreases extracellular pro-aging factorsNadia Casatta
Dipartimento di Biotecnologie e Bioscienze, Universita di Milano Bicocca, Piazza della Scienza 2, 20126 Milano, Italy
Biochim Biophys Acta 1833:593-601. 2013..cell survival including two well known normal by-products of yeast glucose fermentation such as ethanol and acetic acid. In fact, the presence in the growth medium of these C2 compounds has been shown to limit the chronological ..
- The vanilloid receptor initiates and maintains colonic hypersensitivity induced by neonatal colon irritation in ratsJohn Winston
Enteric Neuromuscular Disorders and Pain Laboratory, Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Department of Internal Medicine, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston 77555 0764, USA
Gastroenterology 132:615-27. 2007....
- Improvement of acetic acid tolerance and fermentation performance of Saccharomyces cerevisiae by disruption of the FPS1 aquaglyceroporin geneJun Guo Zhang
The Laboratory of Molecular Genetics and Breeding of Yeast, Institute of Microbiology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing 100101, People s Republic of China
Biotechnol Lett 33:277-84. 2011..Wild-type strain, CE25, could only grow on YPD medium containing less than 0.45% (v/v) acetic acid, while recombinant strain T12 with FPS1 disruption could grow on YPD medium with 0.6% (v/v) acetic acid...
- Effect of dopamine on the healing of acetic acid-induced gastric ulcers in ratsK Nishikawa
Department of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics, Kyoto Pharmaceutical University, Misasagi, Yamashina, Kyoto 607 8414, Japan
Inflammopharmacology 15:209-13. 2007..In the present study, we examined the effect of dopamine on the healing of acetic acid-induced gastric ulcers in rats...
- Costs of cervical cancer screening and treatment using visual inspection with acetic acid (VIA) and cryotherapy in Ghana: the importance of scaleWilm Quentin
Department of Health Care Management, Technische Universitat, Berlin, Germany
Trop Med Int Health 16:379-89. 2011To estimate the incremental costs of visual inspection with acetic acid (VIA) and cryotherapy at cervical cancer screening facilities in Ghana; to explore determinants of costs through modelling; and to estimate national scale-up and ..
- Synthesis and biological evaluation of [1,2,4]triazino[4,3-a] benzimidazole acetic acid derivatives as selective aldose reductase inhibitorsPrasanta Kumar Sahoo
Sri Vasavi Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Pedatadepalli, Tadepalligudem, West Godavari District 534101, Andhra Pradesh, India
Eur J Med Chem 45:909-14. 2010The acetic acid derivatives of [1,2,4]triazino[4,3-a]benzimidazole (TBI) were synthesized and tested in vitro and in vivo as selective aldose reductase (ALR2) inhibitors. Compound PS11 showed highest inhibitory activity (IC(50)) 0...
- Papanicolaou stain: Is it economical to switch to rapid, economical, acetic acid, papanicolaou stain?Swati B Dighe
Department of Pathology, Tata Memorial Hospital, Parel, Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
Acta Cytol 50:643-6. 2006..To standardize an inexpensive and rapid Papanicolaou staining technique with limited ethanol usage...
- c-fos and CRF receptor gene transcription in the brain of acetic acid-induced somato-visceral pain in ratsValérie Sinniger
Groupe d Etude du Stress et des Interactions Neuro Digestives GESIND, EA3744, Hopital Albert Michallon, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire, 38043 Grenoble Cedex 09, France
Pain 110:738-50. 2004..Male rats received an intraperitoneal (i.p.) injection of either vehicle (controls) or acetic acid (AA) and were sacrificed 1, 2, 3, 4, or 6 h later...
- Determinants of VIA (Visual Inspection of the Cervix After Acetic Acid Application) positivity in cervical cancer screening of women in a peri-urban area in Andhra Pradesh, IndiaHaripriya Vedantham
SHARE INDIA, Mediciti Institute for Medical Sciences, Ghanpur, India
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 19:1373-80. 2010Visual inspection of the cervix after acetic acid application (VIA) is widely recommended as the method of choice in cervical cancer screening programs in resource-limited settings because of its simplicity and ability to link with ..
- Hydrogen production by fermentation using acetic acid and lactic acidMitsufumi Matsumoto
Technology Development Center, Wakamatsu Research Institute, Biotechnology Laboratory, Electric Power Development Co, Ltd, 1 Yanagasaki, Wakamatsu, Kitakyushu, Fukuoka 808 0111, Japan
J Biosci Bioeng 103:236-41. 2007..03+/-0.15 ml from 5 ml slurry solution in 30 h. Interestingly, the concentration of acetic acid and lactic acid in the slurry solution decreased during hydrogen production...
- Antinociceptive properties of the ethanolic extract and of the triterpene 3beta,6beta,16beta-trihidroxilup-20(29)-ene obtained from the flowers of Combretum leprosum in miceEvelise F Pietrovski
Departamento de Farmacologia, Centro de Ciencias Biologicas, Universidade Federal do Parana, Curitiba, 88015 420, PR, Brazil
Pharmacol Biochem Behav 83:90-9. 2006..The EE (10-1000 mg/kg) given orally (p.o.), 1 h prior to testing, produced dose-dependent inhibition of acetic acid-induced visceral pain, with mean ID50 value of 131.9 mg/kg. In the formalin test, the EE (10-300 mg/kg, p.o...
- Wine yeast sirtuins and Gcn5p control aging and metabolism in a natural growth mediumHelena Orozco
Departamento de Biotecnologia, Instituto de Agroquimica y Tecnologia de Alimentos CSIC, Av Agustin Escardino 7, Paterna 46980, Spain
Mech Ageing Dev 133:348-58. 2012..Deletions of sirtuin HST2 and acetyltransferase GCN5 have the opposite effect to SIR2 mutation in both media. Acetic acid, a well known pro-aging compound in laboratory conditions, does not play a determinant role on aging during ..
- The effect of a chromogranin A-derived peptide (CgA4-16) in the writhing nociceptive response induced by acetic acid in ratsJean Eric Ghia
INSERM U575, Hôpital Civil Pavillon Poincaré, 1, Place de l Hopital, 67091 Strasbourg, France
Life Sci 75:1787-99. 2004..Adult male Wistar rats were injected i.p with diluted acetic acid (AA) to induce abdominal writhes. Pharmacological agents were injected prior to CgA4-16 and/or AA together...
- Reduction of volatile acidity of wines by selected yeast strainsA Vilela-Moura
CGB IBB, Universidade de Tras os Montes e Alto Douro, 5001 801 Vila Real, Portugal
Appl Microbiol Biotechnol 80:881-90. 2008..From a set of 135 yeast isolates, four strains revealed the ability to use glucose and acetic acid simultaneously. Three of them were identified as Saccharomyces cerevisiae and one as Lachancea thermotolerans...
- Studies of gastric mucosa regeneration and safety promoted by Mouriri pusa treatment in acetic acid ulcer modelP C P Vasconcelos
Departmento de Morfologia, Instituto de Biociencias, Universidade Estadual Paulista, Rubião Júnior s n, Botucatu, SP, Brazil
J Ethnopharmacol 115:293-301. 2008..This medicinal plant has shown intense gastroprotective action in rodent gastric lesion, but still there are no data about its healing effect on gastric mucosa...
- NMR spectroscopy reveals that RNase A is chiefly denatured in 40% acetic acid: implications for oligomer formation by 3D domain swappingJorge Pedro López-Alonso
Instituto de Quimica Fisica Rocasolano, C S I C, Serrano 119, E 28006 Madrid, Spain
J Am Chem Soc 132:1621-30. 2010..RNase A oligomerization is induced by 40% acetic acid, which has been assumed to mildly unfold the protein by detaching the terminal segments and consequently ..
- Visual inspection for cervical cancer screening: evaluation by doctor versus paramedical workerN Bhatla
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi 110 029, India
Indian J Cancer 41:32-6. 2004..In the absence of an effective cervical cancer screening programme, efforts are being made to explore the feasibility of using the existing infrastructure to develop effective low-cost screening methods...
- Analgesic and anti-inflammatory activities of aqueous extract from Glycine tomentella root in miceTsung Chun Lu
Graduate Institute of Chinese Pharmaceutical Sciences, College of Pharmacy, China Medical University, 91 Hsueh Shih Road, Taichung, Taiwan, ROC
J Ethnopharmacol 113:142-8. 2007..the analgesic effect of the aqueous extract of the root of Glycine tomentella (AGT) using models of acetic acid-induced writhing response and formalin test, the anti-inflammatory effect of AGT using model of lambda-..
- Perfluoroalkyl chemicals and the risk of developing clinical and subclinical CVDAnoop Shankar; Fiscal Year: 2012..perfluorododecanoic acid (PFDoA), perflurooctane sulfanomide (PFOSA), 2-(N-ethyl-perflurooctane sulfonamido) acetic acid (Et-PFOSA-AcOH), and 2-(N-methyl-perflurooctane sulfonamide) acetic acid (Me- PFOSA-AcOH), in the baseline ..
- Accelerating Cancer Research with Single Cell ArraysHeinz Ulrich Weier; Fiscal Year: 2009..we will study the effects of DNA nicks or loss and protein cross-links in archival samples comprised of acetic acid: methanol fixed lymphocytes, frozen placental tissues as well formalin-fixed paraffin-embedded tissue blocks. 2...
- Duet cervical barrier device for maximizing protective efficacy of microbicidesRichard Cone; Fiscal Year: 2009..3) Membrane permeant acids: Determine whether lactic and acetic acid can safely increase microbicide efficacy...
- Extrinsic Neural Control of Gastrointestinal Function in the Disordered BowelDavid R Linden; Fiscal Year: 2012..receptors (ARs) on the terminal fields of PVG neurons in the ileum is increased following the onset of TNBS or acetic acid induced colitis...
- Butyrate regulation of intestinal barrierJing Lin; Fiscal Year: 2010..However, the etiology and pathogenesis of NEC remain unclear. Acetic acid, propionic acid and butyric acid are short chain fatty acids (SCFAs) which are produced mainly in the colon by ..
- Organochlorine-Mediated Generation of a Dopamine Derived NeurotoxinJonathan A Doorn; Fiscal Year: 2012..intermediate, DOPAL, which is oxidized via mitochondrial aldehyde dehydrogenase (mALDH) to 3,4-dihydroxyphenyl acetic acid (DOPAC) using the cofactor NAD. Aldehydes generated via oxidative stress, e.g...
- Effect of Male Circumcision on Penile HPV InfectionJENNIFER SUSAN SMITH; Fiscal Year: 2010..A new clinical examination (a visual inspection with 3% acetic acid and aided magnification) will be added to this ongoing RCT at the final 24-month visit to determine the ..
- EARLY DETECTION OF COMMON CANCERS IN WOMEN IN INDIASURENDRA SRINIVAS SHASTRI; Fiscal Year: 2013..e. Clinical Breast Examination (CBE) and Visual Inspection with 4% Acetic Acid (VIA), performed by trained female primary health workers (FPHWs) in the: 1) Early detection of breast and ..
- The role of mitochondrial reactive oxygen species in innate immune signalingDANIEL JOSEPH PRANTNER; Fiscal Year: 2013..The small molecule 5,6-dimethylxanthenone-4-acetic acid (DMXAA) is a potent activator of STING-dependent signaling in macrophages and will be used as a surrogate for ..
- Capitalizing on NSAID enantiomer selectivity for cancer prevention and therapy(PQAngela Wandinger-Ness; Fiscal Year: 2013..Furthermore, R-naproxen, but not S-naproxen or the structurally-related 6-methoxy naphthalene acetic acid (6-MNA), reduced implantation of ovarian tumors by ~75% in an intraperitoneal xenograft model...
- New Approaches to Cervical Cancer Prevention in IndiaShalini L Kulasingam; Fiscal Year: 2010..S. Studies suggest that visual inspection with acetic acid (VIA) or human papillomavirus (HPV)-based screening followed by treatment, may be cost- effective strategies ..
- CHARACTERIZATION OF SERUM FACTORS INDUCING MITOSISHARRY ANTONIADES; Fiscal Year: 1980..100 degrees) treatment of washed platelets, followed by ion-exchange chromatography, gel filtration in l M acetic acid, isoelectric focusing and preparative SDS polyacrylamide gel electrophoresis. PDGF has a PI of about 9...
- H-BONDS AND PROTON TRANSFER IN MODEL PIGMENT CHROMOPHOREPAUL BLATZ; Fiscal Year: 1990..Some of the experimental variables to be studied are: i) donor reagents such as phenol, substituted phenols, acetic acid and chloro substituted acetic acids, ii) selected solvents such as hydrocarbons and chlorohydrocarbons, and iii)..
- Intra-operative confocal imaging-guided Mohs surgeryMilind Rajadhyaksha; Fiscal Year: 2006..imaging modality based on confocal reflectance microscopy, with enhancement of nuclear-to-dermal contrast using acetic acid and crossed polarization, to intra-operatively examine basal cell cancers to guide Mohs micrographic surgery...
- AROMATIC AMINO ACID CATABOLISM DURING TRYPANOSOMIASISJohn Seed; Fiscal Year: 1980..of phenylpyruvic acid, 4-hydroxyphenylpyruvic acid, indole-3-pyruvic acid, indole-3-lactic acid and indole-3-acetic acid concurrent with large decreases in serum concentrations of tryptophan and tyrosine...
- Carbohydrate Metabolic PathwaysFaramarz Ismail Beigi; Fiscal Year: 2007..Tested by quantitating the pathways in vitro and in vivo in normal and diabetic animals with imidazole acetic acid used to non-invasively sample hepatic ribose formation...
- HEALING DECUBITUS ULCERS WITH TENSRita Frantz; Fiscal Year: 1991..25% acetic acid and covering it with a single layer of cotton filled 4 x 4 dressing...
- ACC Sensitization in Visceral Hypersensitive RatsChung Owyang; Fiscal Year: 2010..to use two visceral hypersensitive rat models: colonic anaphylaxis (egg albumin) and colorectal irritation (acetic acid)...
- ANTI-INFLAMMATORY THERAPIES NEUROTOXICALLY INDUCED PDOle Isacson; Fiscal Year: 2004..a cyclooxygenase (COX) 1 and 2 inhibitor (indomethacin [1-(4-chlorobenzoyl)-5-methoxy-2-methyl-1-H-indole-3-acetic acid]) can decrease inflammatory reactions caused by MPP+ toxicity and also reduce chronic neurodegenerative ..
- KAINIC ACID AND STRIATAL DOPAMINE TURNOVERRobert Schwarcz; Fiscal Year: 1980..Simultaneously, levels of homovanillic acid and 3,4-dihydroxyphenyl acetic acid will be measured as markers for dopaminergic activity...
- EPENDYMIN, AN EXTRACELLULAR PROTEIN, & NEURAL FUNCTIONVICTOR SHASHOUA; Fiscal Year: 1990..formed, were found to be extremely insoluble in a variety of solvents including boiling 1% SDS in 6 M urea, acetic acid, and even trifluoroacetic acid. They were, however, soluble in formic acid...
- Patient Reported Outcomes of Cervical Screening in HIV+ Women in ZambiaEric Chamot; Fiscal Year: 2009..1) to assess the short-term effects of screening by Visual Inspection of the cervix after application of Acetic Acid (VIA) on the health-related quality of life (HRQoL) of HIV+ and HIV- women in Lusaka, Zambia;(2) to compare the ..
- A role of acetylation in C/EBPbeta regulation of IL-6Richard Schwartz; Fiscal Year: 2004..In vitro acetylation reactions with 14C-acetyl coenzyme A and labeling in cell culture with 3H-acetic acid will be used to detect acetylation of C/EBPbeta...
- Mechanisms of sensitzation in a rat model of chronic visceral hypersensitivityJohn Winston; Fiscal Year: 2009..Our preliminary results show that antagonism of TRPV1 prior to neonatal administration of acetic acid attenuates the development of the persistent sensitivity to colorectal distention...
- ADVERSE EARLY REARING & GLUTAMATERGIC FUNCTIONJeremy Coplan; Fiscal Year: 2003..factor (CRF) and somatostatin (SOM), and monoamine metabolites of serotonin [5-hydroxy-indole-acetic acid (5-HIAA)] as well as dopamine [homovanillic acid (HVA)]...
- Enabling Metabolic Imaging Using Hyperpolarized 13C Magnetic ResonanceNEAL KALECHOFSKY; Fiscal Year: 2009..scalable and applicable to a wide variety of samples including those of metabolic interest such as 13C enriched acetic acid. Our long term goal is to manufacture and supply HP materials to the clinical MRI marketplace...
- Novel Optical Probe for Oral and Dental Tissue ScreeningRoger McNichols; Fiscal Year: 2007..Current methods of oral cancer screening include visual assessment enhanced by application of acetic acid solution or stains such as toluidine blue or Lugol iodine...
- Cervical Cancer Screening in HIV-infected women in IndiaSten Vermund; Fiscal Year: 2006..Given the limited usefulness of cytology-based screening programs, Visual Inspection with 5% Acetic Acid (VIA) and HPV testing (through self-administered swabs or clinician-collected samples) have been envisioned as ..
- SUGAR CATARACTS AND RETINOPATHYDavid Harrison; Fiscal Year: 2000..recently determined structure of the AR-Alrestatin complex will be used as a scaffold for designing ferrocene acetic acid derivatives to act as probes of the "specificity pocket...
- REGULATION OF THE PLANT GROWTH HORMONE INDOLEACETIC ACIDBonnie Bartel; Fiscal Year: 2000In higher plants, about 95% of the hormone indole-3-acetic acid (IAA, auxin) is found in inactive conjugated forms...
- Time-Resolved Imaging of Cervical Cancer AcetowhiteningKEVIN SCHOMACKER; Fiscal Year: 2003..A time-sequenced series of images will be collected after the uniform and timed application of 5 percent acetic acid onto the cervix...
- Tumor Ablation using RadiofrequencyS Goldberg; Fiscal Year: 2003..effects of altered blood flow and tissue conductivity on RF ablation efficacy with directly injected ethanol or acetic acid diluted in saline in the R3230 model; and/or d) combined systemic and injection adjuvant therapies in all three ..
- The Aux/IAA and ARF Gene Families in Auxin SignalingAthanasios Theologis; Fiscal Year: 2005The plant hormone auxin, typified by indole-3-acetic acid (IAA), regulates various aspects of plant growth and development such as cell division, vascular differentiation, lateral root formation, apical dominance, morphogenesis, ..
- SHY2/IAA3 in auxin regulation of plant developmentJason Reed; Fiscal Year: 2006The plant hormone auxin (IAA, indole-3-acetic acid) is a crucial informational molecule that controls many aspects of plant development, including differentiation of particular tissues such as xylem, branching of both shoots and roots, ..
- Epigenetics of fetal alcohol syndromeFeng Zhou; Fiscal Year: 2009..Alcohol and its metabolite acetic acid have strong propensity to deregulate methylation donor by inhibiting a key folate-methionine metabolism pathway ..
- MR SPECTROSCOPIC IMAGING IN ALZHEIMER'S DISEASEDaniel Spielman; Fiscal Year: 2003..with clinical investigation for the following metabolites: N-acetyl compounds (predominantly N-acetyl-acetic acid, NAA), creatine (Cr), choline (Cho), and myo-inositol (rnI)...
- PHYSIOLOGIC DETERMINANTS OF HYPERTHERMIC TUMOR RESPONSEJoseph Ackerman; Fiscal Year: 1992..b) The effect of thermal sensitivity modulators (i.e., hyperglycemia or flavone acetic acid) on pretreatment tumor physiologic status and the effect of those changes on therapeutic response to heat...
- Bladder and Sphincter Control after Spinal Cord InjuryChangfeng Tai; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- Locomotion Control by Lumbar Spinal Cord StimulationChangfeng Tai; Fiscal Year: 2008..The proposed studies will not only improve our understanding of locomotion control in lumbar spinal cord but also benefit SCI patients. ..
- ENDOGENOUS NITROSATION CHEMISTRY IN CARCINOGENESISRICHARD LOEPPKY; Fiscal Year: 2004..Computational methods will be employed to reveal reaction paths of intermediates and lead to better predictions of the types of compounds which pose a carcinogenic threat through their endogenous nitrosation. ..
- CARCINOGENESIS--HIGHLY REACTIVE NITROSAMINESRICHARD LOEPPKY; Fiscal Year: 2001....
- TREFOIL FACTOR FAMILY 3 IN NECROTIZING ENTEROCOLITISJing Lin; Fiscal Year: 2003..These studies should provide novel insights into the development of the intestinal mucosal barrier and unique possible strategies for the early diagnosis and prevention of NEC in premature infants. ..
- KERATOCYTE CRYSTALLIN PROTEINS AND CORNEAL TRANSPARENCYJAMES JESTER; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- Chemotherapy Drug AnalyzerStuart Farquharson; Fiscal Year: 2002..In Phase II a prototype bed-side analyzer will be engineered and head-to-head comparisons to existing technology will be performed. ..
- ROLE OF TGFBETA IN CORNEAL STROMAL WOUND HEALINGJames V Jester; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- New Ligands for Radioimmunotherapy and MRI of CancerHyun Soon Chong; Fiscal Year: 2006..The results of the proposed research will contribute to the development of better drugs for both MRI and RIT, which will greatly enhance clinical exploration of both modalities, and directly benefit cancer patients. ..
- Short Chain Fatty Acids and Intestinal Barrier FunctionJing Lin; Fiscal Year: 2007..However, the etiology and pathogenesis of NEC remain unclear. Acetic acid, propionic acid and butyric acid are short chain fatty acids (SCFAs), which are produced mainly in the colon by ..
- Alcohol-specific modifications of glycated Hb: Novel biomarkers of alcohol abuseYousef Al Abed; Fiscal Year: 2007..Future studies will be designed to measure these alcohol-specific-markers in humans following binge and chronic alcohol intake. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- LONG TERM NERVE REGENERATION THROUGH COLLAGEN DEVICESIoannis Yannas; Fiscal Year: 2001..These data will be useful for all investigators studying the efficacy of devices for peripheral nerve regeneration. ..
- Supported Fluorous Lipids for Triphasic ReactionsStephen Weber; Fiscal Year: 2003..Health Relatedness: Small molecule synthesis continues to be the dominant source of pharmaceuticals. The procedures described in this proposal will lead to purer synthetic products with less effort in comparison to normal practice. ..
- RADIATION AND DRUG EFFECTS ON TUMOR CELL SUBPOPULATIONSDietmar Siemann; Fiscal Year: 2001..Ultimately we hope that these approaches can be reliably developed to an extent where the use of human tumor biopsy material may lead to radiotherapy treatments more tailored to the individual patient. ..
- Fine Needle Aspiration Biopsy(FNAB) Needle DeviceVinod Shidham; Fiscal Year: 2002..Apart from the worldwide market, the potential market in United States alone should exceed $1,500,000 per year. ..
- CHEMICAL SENSORY IRRITATION: CONTRAST WITH OLFACTIONJ Enrique Cometto Muniz; Fiscal Year: 2010..The outcome will allow us to make inferences about the relative breadth of chemical tuning in human olfaction and chemesthesis. ..
- Smooth muscle cell lipid metabolism and serum amyloid ABarbara M Schreiber; Fiscal Year: 2010..Cardiovascular disease remains a major public health concern. Elucidation of mechanisms that promote disease vs. protect against it will lead to future strategies for drug development. ..
- PHOSPHORYLATED ISONUCLEOSIDES: NEW ANTI-HIV AGENTSVasu Nair; Fiscal Year: 2003..Cellular combination drug studies, particularly those having the potential for synergistic inhibition of HIV infectivity, are also planned. ..
- Pathogenesis of Essential Tremor: Cerebellar MetabolismElan Louis; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- ENZYMOLOGY OF ACETOTROPHIC METHANOGENESISJAMES FERRY; Fiscal Year: 2003..The results are expected to contribute not only to a deeper understanding of the acetate fermentation pathway, but more importantly to the broader field of anaerobic microbiology and beyond. ..
- Bladder Pain Gene Therapy with Pro-opiomelanocortin cDNANaoki Yoshimura; Fiscal Year: 2004..the transfer of POMC cDNA in vivo that we have recently developed, and investigated its efficacy and safety on acetic acid and cyclophosphamid-induced bladder hyperactivity in the rats...
- Regenerative Healing Using ECM Based ScaffoldsIoannis Yannas; Fiscal Year: 2009..An attempt will be made to elucidate the mechanism of contraction blocking during healing of injured nerves, and to find out an association, if any, with induced regeneration. ..
- Cervical Cancer Screening in LesbiansJ Tracy; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Novel Technologies for Global Optimization of Magnetic Field HomogeneityROBIN DE GRAAF; Fiscal Year: 2007..Since MFI affects many facet's of in vivo NMR, the proposed techniques will have major impacts on almost all aspects of MRI and MRS. ..