Genomes and Genes
Summary: A biogenic polyamine formed from spermidine. It is found in a wide variety of organisms and tissues and is an essential growth factor in some bacteria. It is found as a polycation at all pH values. Spermine is associated with nucleic acids, particularly in viruses, and is thought to stabilize the helical structure.
Publications312 found, 100 shown here
- Neuroprotective effects of spermine following hypoxic-ischemic-induced brain damage: a mechanistic studyAndrew N Clarkson
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, University of Otago, Dunedin, New Zealand
FASEB J 18:1114-6. 2004The polyamines (spermine, putrescine, and spermidine) can have neurotoxic or neuroprotective properties in models of neurodegeneration. However, assessment in a model of hypoxia-ischemia (HI) has not been defined...
- Polyamines: mysterious modulators of cellular functionsK Igarashi
Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Chiba University, 1 33 Yayoi cho, Inage Ku, Chiba, 263 8522, Japan
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 271:559-64. 2000In recent years the functions of polyamines (putrescine, spermidine, and spermine) have been studied at the molecular level...
- Polyamine-rich food decreases age-associated pathology and mortality in aged miceKuniyasu Soda
Department of Cardiovascular Research Institute, Saitama Medical Center, Jichi Medical University, Saitama, Japan
Exp Gerontol 44:727-32. 2009The purpose of this study was to test whether oral intake of foods rich in polyamines (spermine and spermidine) suppresses age-associated pathology in aged mice...
- Global transcriptional response to spermine, a component of the intramacrophage environment, reveals regulation of Francisella gene expression through insertion sequence elementsPaul E Carlson
Department of Microbiology and Molecular Genetics, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, PA 15261, USA
J Bacteriol 191:6855-64. 2009..Here, we demonstrate that the polyamines spermine and spermidine are environmental signals that alter bacterial stimulation of host cells...
- Complex inhibition of OmpF and OmpC bacterial porins by polyaminesR Iyer
Department of Biology, University of Houston, Houston, Texas 77204 5513, USA
J Biol Chem 272:18595-601. 1997The effects of four polyamines (putrescine, cadaverine, spermidine, and spermine) on the activity of bacterial porins OmpC and OmpF were investigated by electrophysiology...
- A Francisella tularensis locus required for spermine responsiveness is necessary for virulenceBrian C Russo
Department of Microbiology and Molecular Genetics, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, 200 Lothrop St, Pittsburgh, PA 15261, USA
Infect Immun 79:3665-76. 2011..tularensis senses and adapts to host environments is incomplete. Polyamines, including spermine, regulate the interactions of F. tularensis with host cells...
- Different adaptations in AMPA receptor transmission in the nucleus accumbens after short vs long access cocaine self-administration regimensAnthony Purgianto
Department of Neuroscience, Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science, The Chicago Medical School, North Chicago, IL, USA
Neuropsychopharmacology 38:1789-97. 2013..Together with data on cocaine infusions in each group, our results show that CP-AMPAR accumulation and enhanced glutamate transmission is associated with longer sessions (6 h), rather than the number of sessions or cocaine infusions...
- New insights into the role of spermine in Arabidopsis thaliana under long-term salt stressAnalía I Alet
Unidad de Biotecnología 1, Instituto Tecnológico de Chascomús IIB INTECH UNSAM CONICET, Camino Circunvalación Laguna, Km 6 cc164, B7130IWA Chascomus, Pcia de Buenos Aires, Argentina
Plant Sci 182:94-100. 2012Polyamines (putrescine, spermidine and spermine) are traditionally implicated in the response of plants to environmental cues...
- Polyamines in microorganismsC W Tabor
Microbiol Rev 49:81-99. 1985
- The impact of spermine competition on the efficacy of DNA-binding Fe(II), Co(II), and Cu(II) complexes of dimeric chromomycin A(3)Wen Je Lu
Biotechnology Center, National Chung Hsing University, Taichung 402, Taiwan
J Inorg Biochem 103:1626-33. 2009..The effects of spermine on the interaction of Fe(II), Co(II), and Cu(II) complexes of dimeric Chro with DNA were studied...
- Spermine synthaseAnthony E Pegg
Department of Cellular and Molecular Physiology, Milton S Hershey Medical Center, Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine, Hershey, PA 17033, USA
Cell Mol Life Sci 67:113-21. 2010b>Spermine is present in many organisms including animals, plants, some fungi, some archaea, and some bacteria. It is synthesized by spermine synthase, a highly specific aminopropyltransferase...
- Two modes of polyamine block regulating the cardiac inward rectifier K+ current IK1 as revealed by a study of the Kir2.1 channel expressed in a human cell lineKeiko Ishihara
Department of Physiology, Saga Medical School, 5 1 1 Nabeshima, Saga 849 8501, Japan
J Physiol 556:61-78. 2004..1 and studied the blockage of the currents caused by cytoplasmic polyamines, namely, spermine and spermidine. The outward current-voltage (I-V) relationships of Kir2...
- Extracellular spermine exacerbates ischemic neuronal injury through sensitization of ASIC1a channels to extracellular acidosisBo Duan
Institute of Neuroscience and State Key Laboratory of Neuroscience, Shanghai Institutes for Biological Sciences, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Shanghai 200031, China
J Neurosci 31:2101-12. 2011..Here, we show that extracellular spermine, one of the endogenous polyamines, exacerbates ischemic neuronal injury through sensitization of ASIC1a channels ..
- Effects of polyamines on the thermal stability and formation kinetics of DNA duplexes with abnormal structureM H Hou
Institute of Chemistry, Academia Sinica, Taipei, 115 Taiwan
Nucleic Acids Res 29:5121-8. 2001The effects of ions (i.e. Na+, Mg2+ and polyamines including spermidine and spermine) on the stability of various DNA oligonucleotides in solution were studied...
- Polyamines and heavy metal stress: the antioxidant behavior of spermine in cadmium- and copper-treated wheat leavesMaría D Groppa
Departamento de Quimica Biologica, Facultad de Farmacia y Bioquimica, Universidad de Buenos Aires, Junin 956, Buenos Aires, 1113, Argentina
Biometals 20:185-95. 2007Polyamine metabolism, as well as spermine (Spm) antioxidant properties, were studied in wheat leaves under Cd2+ or Cu2+ stress...
- Biologic activity of a dinuclear Pd(II)-spermine complex toward human breast cancerSonia M Fiuza
Química Física Molecular, Departamento de Quimica, FCTUC, Universidade de Coimbra, Portugal
Chem Biol Drug Des 77:477-88. 2011..The results point to a distinct mechanism of action for each of these complexes, which may explain their synergistic action when coadministrated...
- Alternative splicing and interaction with di- and polyvalent cations control the dynamic range of acid-sensing ion channel 1 (ASIC1)Elena Babini
Department of Otolaryngology, Research Group of Sensory Physiology, D 72076 Tubingen, Germany
J Biol Chem 277:41597-603. 2002..Moreover, we show that extracellular, divalent cations like Ca(2+) and Mg(2+) as well as the polyvalent cation spermine shift the steady-state inactivation of ASIC1a and ASIC1b to more acidic values...
- Spermine improves recognition memory deficit in a rodent model of Huntington's diseaseNádia A Velloso
Department of Chemistry, Center of Exact and Natural Sciences, Universidade Federal de Santa Maria, Santa Maria 97105 900, RS, Brazil
Neurobiol Learn Mem 92:574-80. 2009..polyamines improve memory in cognitive tasks, we now tested if the post-training intrastriatal administration of spermine, an agonist of the polyamine site at the NMDA receptor, reverses the deficits in the object recognition task ..
- Spermine pretreatment confers dehydration tolerance of citrus in vitro plants via modulation of antioxidative capacity and stomatal responseJie Shi
National Key Laboratory of Crop Genetic Improvement, National Center of Crop Molecular Breeding, Huazhong Agricultural University, Wuhan 430070, China
Tree Physiol 30:914-22. 2010..the possibility of improving dehydration tolerance of citrus in vitro plants by exogenous application of spermine (Spm)...
- Spermine and spermidine inhibition of photosystem II: Disassembly of the oxygen evolving complex and consequent perturbation in electron donation from TyrZ to P680+ and the quinone acceptors QA- to QBRémy Beauchemin
Groupe de Recherche en Biologie Végétale, Universite du Quebec a Trois Rivieres, CP 500, Trois Rivieres Quebec, Canada G9A 5H7
Biochim Biophys Acta 1767:905-12. 2007Polyamines are implicated in plant growth and stress response. However, the polyamines spermine and spermidine were shown to elicit strong inhibitory effects in photosystem II (PSII) submembrane fractions...
- Differential distribution of spermidine/spermine-like immunoreactivity in neurons of the adult rat brainGregor Laube
Institute for Medical Neurobiology, Medical Faculty, Otto von Guericke University Magdeburg, 39120 Magdeburg, Germany
J Comp Neurol 444:369-86. 2002The polyamines spermidine and spermine are small, widely distributed polycations...
- Selenium and spermine alleviate cadmium induced toxicity in the red seaweed Gracilaria dura by regulating antioxidants and DNA methylationManoj Kumar
Discipline of Marine Biotechnology and Ecology, Central Salt and Marine Chemicals Research Institute, Council of Scientific and Industrial Research, Gijubhai Badheka Marg, Bhavnagar 364021, India
Plant Physiol Biochem 51:129-38. 2012The protective role of exogenously supplied selenium (Se) and polyamines (PAs) such as putrescine (Put) and spermine (Spm) in detoxifying the cadmium (Cd) induced toxicity was studied in the marine red alga Gracilaria dura in laboratory ..
- Role of spermine in amyloid beta-peptide-associated free radical-induced neurotoxicityS M Yatin
Department of Chemistry and Center of Membrane Sciences, University of Kentucky, Lexington, 40506-0055, USA
J Neurosci Res 63:395-401. 2001..Both effects were prevented by the free radical scavenger vitamin E. Spermine has been reported to function directly as a free radical scavenger...
- Spermine facilitates recovery from drought but does not confer drought tolerance in transgenic rice plants expressing Datura stramonium S-adenosylmethionine decarboxylaseAriadna Peremarti
Departament de Produccio Vegetal i Ciencia Forestal, ETSEA, Universitat de Lleida, Lleida, Spain
Plant Mol Biol 70:253-64. 2009..To dissect the roles of putrescine from the higher polyamines spermidine and spermine, we generated transgenic rice plants constitutively expressing a heterologous S-adenosylmethionine decarboxylase (..
- NF-kappaB activation and susceptibility to apoptosis after polyamine depletion in intestinal epithelial cellsL Li
Department of Surgery, University of Maryland School of Medicine, 10 North Greene St, Baltimore, MD 21201, USA
Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 280:G992-G1004. 2001..The natural polyamines, putrescine, spermidine, and spermine, are essential for mucosal growth, and decreasing polyamine levels cause G(1) phase growth arrest in intestinal ..
- Spermine signalling in tobacco: activation of mitogen-activated protein kinases by spermine is mediated through mitochondrial dysfunctionYoshihiro Takahashi
Graduate School of Life Sciences, Tohoku University, 2 1 1 Katahira, Aoba, Sendai, Miyagi 980 8577, Japan
Plant J 36:820-9. 2003..In this study, we examine whether these compounds act as signal mediators. Spermine (Spm) specifically activated protein kinases of tobacco leaves, which were identified as salicylic acid (SA)-..
- SKY1 and IXR1 interactions, their effects on cisplatin and spermine resistance in Saccharomyces cerevisiaeSilvia Rodríguez Lombardero
Departamento Biologia Celular y Molecular, Universidad de A Coruna, F Ciencias, Campus de A Zapateira s n, A Coruna, Spain
Can J Microbiol 58:184-8. 2012..IXR1 gene increases resistance to cisplatin, and deletion of the SKY1 gene increases resistance to cisplatin and spermine. Three S...
- A PBP 2 mutant devoid of the transpeptidase domain abolishes spermine-β-lactam synergy in Staphylococcus aureus Mu50Xiangyu Yao
Department of Biology, Georgia State University, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 56:83-91. 2012Exogenous spermine was reported to enhance the killing of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) by β-lactams through a strong synergistic effect of unknown nature...
- Amino terminal glutamate residues confer spermine sensitivity and affect voltage gating and channel conductance of rat connexin40 gap junctionsHassan Musa
Department of Pharmacology, SUNY Upstate Medical University, Syracuse, NY 13210, USA
J Physiol 557:863-78. 2004Connexin40 (Cx40) contains a specific binding site for spermine (affinity approximately 100 microm) whereas connexin43 (Cx43) is unaffected by identical concentrations of intracellular spermine...
- On mechanism of intermediate-sized circular DNA compaction mediated by spermine: contribution of fluorescence lifetime correlation spectroscopyJana Humpolickova
J Heyrovsky Institute of Physical Chemistry, Academy of Sciences of the Czech Republic, Dolejskova 3, Prague 8, Czech Republic
J Fluoresc 18:679-84. 2008..Thus, it is in the scope of research interest. It was shown, that spermine-induced compaction of large DNA molecules occurs in a discrete "all-or-non" regime, where the coexistence of free ..
- The combination of peripheral nerve grafts and acidic fibroblast growth factor enhances arginase I and polyamine spermine expression in transected rat spinal cordsHuai Sheng Kuo
Neural Regeneration Laboratory, Department of Neurosurgery, Neurological Institute, Taipei Veterans General Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 357:1-7. 2007..and alternatively activated macrophages in the graft area and graft-stump edges, and high levels of the polyamine spermine were expressed by macrophages within the intercostal nerve graft...
- Rapid caspase-dependent cell death in cultured human breast cancer cells induced by the polyamine analogue N(1),N(11)-diethylnorspermineCecilia Hegardt
Department of Animal Physiology, Lund University, Sweden
Eur J Biochem 269:1033-9. 2002The spermine analogue N(1),N(11)-diethylnorspermine (DENSPM) efficiently depletes the cellular pools of putrescine, spermidine and spermine by down-regulating the activity of the polyamine biosynthetic enzymes and up-regulating the ..
- Screening for modulators of spermine tolerance identifies Sky1, the SR protein kinase of Saccharomyces cerevisiae, as a regulator of polyamine transport and ion homeostasisO Erez
Department of Molecular Genetics, The Weizmann Institute of Science, Rehovot 76100, Israel
Mol Cell Biol 21:175-84. 2001..Using a genetic screen for clones capable of restoring spermine sensitivity to spermine-tolerant mutants of Saccharomyces cerevisiae, we have demonstrated that Sky1p, a recently ..
- Spermine signaling plays a significant role in the defense response of Arabidopsis thaliana to cucumber mosaic virusYoshiko Mitsuya
Graduate School of Life Sciences, Tohoku University, Sendai, Miyagi, Japan
J Plant Physiol 166:626-43. 2009We have proposed that the polyamine spermine (Spm) functions as a signaling molecule to evoke defense reactions/cell death in avirulent pathogen-attacked tobacco plants...
- Low-affinity spermine block mediating outward currents through Kir2.1 and Kir2.2 inward rectifier potassium channelsKeiko Ishihara
Department of Physiology Faculty of Medicine, Saga University 5 1 1 Nabeshima, Saga 849 8501, Japan
J Physiol 583:891-908. 2007..1 and Kir2.2 channels by spermine, which is the principal Kir2 channel blocker. Current-voltage relations of outward Kir2...
- Dextran-spermine polycation: an efficient nonviral vector for in vitro and in vivo gene transfectionH Hosseinkhani
Department of Biomaterials, Field of Tissue Engineering, Kyoto University, Kyoto, Japan
Gene Ther 11:194-203. 2004Dextran-spermine cationic polysaccharide was prepared by means of reductive amination between oxidized dextran and the natural oligoamine spermine...
- Antisense and antigene inhibition of gene expression by cell-permeable oligonucleotide-oligospermine conjugatesKeith T Gagnon
Department of Pharmacology, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, Texas 75390, USA
J Am Chem Soc 133:8404-7. 2011..Conjugates targeting the promoter of the progesterone receptor (PR) function as antigene agents to block PR expression. These observations support further investigation of ZNA conjugates as gene silencing agents...
- Perturbation of spermine synthase gene expression and transcript profiling provide new insights on the role of the tetraamine spermine in Arabidopsis defense against Pseudomonas viridiflavaMaría Elisa Gonzalez
Instituto de Investigaciones Biotecnológicas Instituto Tecnológico de Chascomús Universidad Nacional de San Martín Consejo Nacional de Investigaciones Científificas y Técnicas, CC 164 B7130IWA Chascomus, Argentina
Plant Physiol 156:2266-77. 2011The role of the tetraamine spermine in plant defense against pathogens was investigated by using the Arabidopsis (Arabidopsis thaliana)-Pseudomonas viridiflava pathosystem...
- Dual mode polyspermine with tunable degradability for plasmid DNA and siRNA deliveryMin Suk Shim
Department of Chemical Engineering and Materials Science, University of California, Irvine, CA 92697, USA
Biomaterials 32:4009-20. 2011..In order to obtain enhanced, non-cytotoxic, and molecularly tunable nonviral gene delivery, spermine, a bioavailable small cationic molecule, was polymerized with diacrylate cross-linkers with or without acid-..
- Effect of spermine on lipid profile and HDL functionality in the streptozotocin-induced diabetic rat modelA Jafarnejad
Department of Clinical Biochemistry, Faculty of Medical Sciences, Tarbiat Modares University, P O BOX 14115 111, Tehran, Iran
Life Sci 82:301-7. 2008This study aimed to investigate the effect of spermine (Spm) as a chemical chaperone and glycation inhibitor on the lipid profile and HDL functionality in the short- and long-term treatment of the STZ-induced diabetic rats...
- Cinnamic acid-inhibited ribulose-1,5-bisphosphate carboxylase activity is mediated through decreased spermine and changes in the ratio of polyamines in cowpeaXingxue Huang
Key Laboratory of Horticultural Plant Biology, College of Horticulture and Forestry, Huazhong Agricultural University, Wuhan 430070, China
J Plant Physiol 167:47-53. 2010..In addition, 0.1 mM CA treatment increased the putrescine (Put) level, but decreased spermidine (Spd) and spermine (Spm) levels, thereby reducing the (Spd+Spm)/Put (PAs) ratio in the leaves...
- Bis(glutathionyl)spermine and other novel trypanothione analogues in Trypanosoma cruziMark R Ariyanayagam
Division of Biological Chemistry and Molecular Microbiology, School of Life Sciences, Wellcome Trust Biocentre, University of Dundee, Dundee DD1 5EH, Scotland, United Kingdom
J Biol Chem 278:27612-9. 2003..of spermidine by conjugating glutathione with other physiological polyamine substrates from exogenous sources (spermine, N8-acetylspermidine, and N-acetylspermine)...
- A second gene encoding a putative serine/threonine protein kinase which enhances spermine uptake in Saccharomyces cerevisiaeT Nozaki
Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Chiba University, Japan
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 228:452-8. 1996We have isolated a new gene (PTK2) which restores spermine uptake of a polyamine uptake-deficient mutant of Saccharomyces cerevisiae (Kakinuma, Y., Maruyama, T., Nozaki, T., Wada, Y., Oshumi, Y., and Igarashi, K., 1995, Biochem, Biophys...
- Activation of polyamine catabolism profoundly alters tissue polyamine pools and affects hair growth and female fertility in transgenic mice overexpressing spermidine/spermine N1-acetyltransferaseM Pietila
A I Virtanen Institute, University of Kuopio, P O Box 1627 FIN 70211, Kuopio, Finland
J Biol Chem 272:18746-51. 1997..a transgenic mouse line that overexpresses the rate-controlling enzyme of polyamine catabolism, spermidine/spermine N1-acetyltransferase...
- Proton MR spectroscopy of prostatic tissue focused on the detection of spermine, a possible biomarker of malignant behavior in prostate cancerM van der Graaf
Department of Radiology, Medical Faculty, University Hospital Nijmegen, The Netherlands
MAGMA 10:153-9. 2000..HPLC results showed that normal and benign hyperplastic prostatic tissues were characterized by a high content of spermine. Spermine levels were reduced in tumor tissue, especially in prostatic carcinoma with metastases, and in ..
- Interhelical spacing in liquid crystalline spermine and spermidine-DNA precipitatesE Raspaud
Laboratoire de Physique des Solides, UMR CNRS 8502, UMR CNRS 8619, Universite Paris Sud, 91405 Orsay Cedex, France
Biophys J 88:392-403. 2005..Most of the results were obtained using spermine and few others using spermidine...
- Spermine protects mice against lethal sepsis partly by attenuating surrogate inflammatory markersShu Zhu
Department of Emergency Medicine, North Shore University Hospital, New York University School of Medicine, Manhasset, New York 11030, United States of America
Mol Med 15:275-82. 2009..An endogenous ubiquitous polyamine, spermine, inhibits endotoxin-induced cytokine release in vitro, but its capacities to attenuate sepsis- and HMGB1-induced ..
- Probing tRNA interaction with biogenic polyaminesAmin Ahmed Ouameur
Department of Chemistry Biology, University of Quebec at Trois Rivieres, Trois Rivieres, Quebec, Canada
RNA 16:1968-79. 2010..We report the interaction between tRNA and the three biogenic polyamines putrescine, spermidine, spermine, and cobalt(III)hexamine at physiological conditions, using FTIR spectroscopy, capillary electrophoresis, and ..
- Spermine oxidase SMO(PAOh1), Not N1-acetylpolyamine oxidase PAO, is the primary source of cytotoxic H2O2 in polyamine analogue-treated human breast cancer cell linesAllison Pledgie
Sidney Kimmel Comprehensive Cancer Center, The Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland 21231, USA
J Biol Chem 280:39843-51. 2005..The original hypothesis was that analogue induction of the rate-limiting spermidine/spermine N1-acetyltransferase (SSAT) provided substrate for the peroxisomal acetylpolyamine oxidase (PAO), resulting in a ..
- Polyamine-dependent gene expressionA C Childs
Department of Biochemistry and Biophysics, Arizona Cancer Center, University of Arizona, 1515 N Campbell Avenue, P O Box 245024, Tucson, Arizona 85724, USA
Cell Mol Life Sci 60:1394-406. 2003The polyamines spermidine and spermine along with the diamine putrescine are involved in many cellular processes, including chromatin condensation, maintenance of DNA structure, RNA processing, translation and protein activation...
- Spermine metabolism and anticancer therapyR Amendola
ENEA, CR Casaccia, BAS BIOTEC MED, Rome, Italy
Curr Cancer Drug Targets 9:118-30. 2009The natural polyamines (PA), putrescine (PUT), spermidine (SPD) and spermine (SPM) are ubiquitous constituents of eukaryotic cells...
- Equilibrium dynamics of spermine-induced plasmid DNA condensation revealed by fluorescence lifetime correlation spectroscopyJana Humpolickova
Biophys J 94:L17-9. 2008The spermine-induced DNA condensation is a first-order phase transition. Here, we apply a novel technique fluorescence lifetime correlation spectroscopy to analyze this transition in a greater detail...
- Different cell cycle kinetic effects of N1,N11-diethylnorspermine-induced polyamine depletion in four human breast cancer cell linesLouise Myhre
Department of Cell and Organism Biology, Lund University, Lund, Sweden
Anticancer Drugs 19:359-68. 2008..The two cell lines that were most sensitive to DENSPM treatment belong to the basal-like subtype of breast cancer and they were deficient with respect to p53, BRCA1, and RB1...
- Blocking effect of 1-naphthyl acetyl spermine on Ca(2+)-permeable AMPA receptors in cultured rat hippocampal neuronsM Koike
Department of Physiology, Gunma University School of Medicine, Japan
Neurosci Res 29:27-36. 1997Effects of 1-naphthyl acetyl spermine (NASPM), a synthetic analogue of Joro spider toxin (JSTX), on alpha-amino-3-hydroxy-5-methyl-4-isoxazolepropionic acid (AMPA)-type glutamate receptors were studied in cultured rat hippocampal neurons ..
- A subset of hypersensitive response marker genes, including HSR203J, is the downstream target of a spermine signal transduction pathway in tobaccoYoshihiro Takahashi
Graduate School of Life Sciences, Tohoku University, 2 1 1 Katahira, Aoba, Sendai, Miyagi 980 8577, Japan
Plant J 40:586-95. 2004A cellular signal transduction pathway induced by the polyamine, spermine (Spm), and transmitted by mitochondrial dysfunction is proposed in tobacco...
- Long-term oral polyamine intake increases blood polyamine concentrationsKuniyasu Soda
Cardiovascular Research Institute, and 2 Department of Surgery, Saitama Medical Center, Jichi Medical University, 1 847 Amanuma, Saitama, Japan
J Nutr Sci Vitaminol (Tokyo) 55:361-6. 2009..After 26 wk, the mean blood spermine concentration in mice receiving the test diet with high polyamine concentrations was 10.1+/-2...
- Apoptotic signaling in polyamine analogue-treated SK-MEL-28 human melanoma cellsY Chen
Grace Cancer Drug Center, Roswell Park Cancer Institute, Buffalo, New York 14263, USA
Cancer Res 61:6437-44. 2001..Maximal induction of the polyamine catabolic enzyme spermidine/spermine N(1)-acetyltransferase (SSAT) and polyamine pool depletion were seen by 16 h, whereas early apoptosis was first ..
- A new intranasal influenza vaccine based on a novel polycationic lipid--ceramide carbamoyl-spermine (CCS) I. Immunogenicity and efficacy studies in miceAviva Joseph
The Lautenberg Center for General and Tumor Immunology, The Hebrew University Hadassah Medical School, P O Box 12272, Jerusalem 91120, Israel
Vaccine 24:3990-4006. 2006..n.) influenza vaccine, based on a novel polycationic sphingolipid, N-palmitoyl D-erythro-sphingosyl carbamoyl-spermine (ceramide carbamoyl-spermine = CCS), having combined carrier and adjuvant activities, which elicits, in mice, ..
- Combination therapy with 2-difluoromethylornithine and a polyamine transport inhibitor against murine squamous cell carcinomaYan Chen
Lankenau Institute for Medical Research, Wynnewood, PA 19096, USA
Int J Cancer 118:2344-9. 2006..Thus, targeting both polyamine biosynthesis and polyamine transport from the tumor microenvironment enhances the efficacy of polyamine-based therapy in this mouse model of SCC...
- Dextran-spermine-based polyplexes--evaluation of transgene expression and of local and systemic toxicity in miceHagit Eliyahu
Laboratory of Membrane and Liposome Research, Department of Biochemistry, The Hebrew University Hadassah Medical School, P O Box 12272, Jerusalem 91120, Israel
Biomaterials 27:1636-45. 2006..Recently, a novel cationic polymer based on dextran-spermine (D-SPM) was developed for gene delivery...
- Spermine binding to Parkinson's protein alpha-synuclein and its disease-related A30P and A53T mutantsMegan Grabenauer
Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, University of California, Santa Barbara, California 93106, USA
J Phys Chem B 112:11147-54. 2008..When bound to spermine near physiologic pH, all three proteins underwent a charge reduction from the favored solution charge state of -..
- Spermine, a natural polyamine, suppresses LFA-1 expression on human lymphocyteKuniyasu Soda
Department of Surgery, Omiya Medical Center, Jichi Medical School, Saitama, Japan
J Immunol 175:237-45. 2005Natural polyamines, spermine, spermidine, and putrescine, play a pivotal role in the regulation of gene expression; therefore, the age-dependent decreases and the disease-dependent increases in polyamine synthesis suggest a possible ..
- Properties of purified recombinant human polyamine oxidase, PAOh1/SMOYanlin Wang
The Sidney Kimmel Comprehensive Cancer Center, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21231, USA
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 304:605-11. 2003The discovery of an inducible oxidase whose apparent substrate preference is spermine indicates that polyamine catabolism is more complex than that originally proposed...
- Cellular polyamines promote the aggregation of alpha-synucleinThomas Antony
Department of Molecular Biology, Max Planck Institute for Biophysical Chemistry, Am Fassberg 11, Goettingen D 37077, Germany
J Biol Chem 278:3235-40. 2003The cellular polyamines putrescine, spermidine, and spermine accelerate the aggregation and fibrillization of alpha-synuclein, the major protein component of Lewy bodies associated with Parkinson's disease...
- Lipophilic lysine-spermine conjugates are potent polyamine transport inhibitors for use in combination with a polyamine biosynthesis inhibitorMark R Burns
MediQuest Therapeutics, Inc, Bothell, Washington 98021, USA
J Med Chem 52:1983-93. 2009..The availability of a potent polyamine transport inhibitor allows, for the first time, for a real test of the hypothesis that starving cells of polyamines will lead to objective clinical response...
- Incomplete ion dissociation underlies the weakened attraction between DNA helices at high spermidine concentrationsJie Yang
Department of Physics, University of Vermont, Burlington, Vermont, USA
Biophys J 89:1932-40. 2005..This is contrary to the suggestion that the binding of spermidine at higher concentrations causes DNA overcharging and consequent electrostatic repulsion...
- Spermine accumulation under salt stressSantiago Maiale
Unidad de Biotecnología 1, Instituto Tecnológico de Chascomús Universidad Nacional de General San Martin IIB INTECH UNSAM CONICET, Ruta Circunvalación Laguna, km 6 CC164 7130 Chascomús, Pcia de Buenos Aires, Argentina
J Plant Physiol 161:35-42. 2004..Simultaneously, spermine accumulations occur in both varieties, while proline accumulation was major in the sensitive one...
- Spermine and spermidine mediate protection against oxidative damage caused by hydrogen peroxideJ E Rider
Department of Environmental Health Sciences, The Johns Hopkins University Bloomberg School of Public Health, Baltimore, MD, USA
Amino Acids 33:231-40. 2007The polyamines spermidine and spermine have been hypothesized to possess different functions in the protection of DNA from reactive oxygen species...
- On the competition between water, sodium ions, and spermine in binding to DNA: a molecular dynamics computer simulation studyNikolay Korolev
Division of Physical Chemistry, Arrhenius Laboratory, Stockholm University, S 106 91 Stockholm, Sweden
Biophys J 82:2860-75. 2002The interaction of DNA with the polyamine spermine(4+) (Spm(4+)), sodium ions, and water molecules has been studied using molecular dynamics computer simulations in a system modeling a DNA crystal...
- Voltage-dependent blockade of connexin40 gap junctions by spermineHassan Musa
Department of Pharmacology, SUNY Upstate Medical University, Syracuse, New York 13210, USA
Biophys J 84:205-19. 2003The effects of spermine and spermidine, endogenous polyamines that block many forms of ion channels, were investigated in homotypic connexin (Cx)-40 gap junctions expressed in N2A cells...
- Effect of polyamines on the inhibition of peptidyltransferase by antibiotics: revisiting the mechanism of chloramphenicol actionMaria A Xaplanteri
Laboratory of Biochemistry, School of Medicine, University of Patras, GR 26500 Patras, Greece
Nucleic Acids Res 31:5074-83. 2003..bound at the P-site of poly(U)-programmed ribosomes, under ionic conditions (6 mM Mg2+, 100 mM NH4+, 100 microM spermine) more closely resembling the physiological status...
- Reduction of postoperative adhesions by N,O-carboxymethylchitosan and spermine NONOate in ratsBulent Duran
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Cumhuriyet University School of Medicine, 58140 Sivas, Turkey
Exp Anim 52:267-72. 2003..A rat uterine horn model was used to investigate the efficacy of N,O-carboxymethylchitosan (NOCC) and spermine NONOate (SPER/NO) alone and in combination in preventing adhesion formation.
- Anti-oxidant activity of spermine and spermidine re-evaluated with oxidizing systems involving iron and copper ionsMonika Mozdzan
Department of Experimental and Clinical Physiology, Institute of Physiology and Biochemistry, Medical University of Lodz, 6 8 Mazowiecka Street, 92 215 Lodz, Poland
Int J Biochem Cell Biol 38:69-81. 2006This study was designed to investigate the direction of redox reactions of spermine and spermidine in the presence of iron and copper...
- Polyamines and central nervous system injury: spermine and spermidine decrease following transient focal cerebral ischemia in spontaneously hypertensive ratsRao Muralikrishna Adibhatla
Department of Neurological Surgery, H4 330, Clinical Science Center, 600 Highland Avenue, University of Wisconsin Madison, Madison, WI 53792 3232, USA
Brain Res 938:81-6. 2002Polyamines (putrescine, spermidine and spermine) are ubiquitous cellular components, but their specific role in central nervous system (CNS) injury has yet to be characterized...
- Enhancement of intestinal absorption of macromolecules by spermine in ratsY Sugita
Department of Clinical Dietetics and Human Nutrition, Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Josai University, Sakado, Saitama, Japan
Amino Acids 33:253-60. 2007..Absorption of FD-4 from the jejunum was significantly enhanced by 5 mM spermine without serious membrane damage in the jejunum...
- Modulation of spermidine and spermine levels in maize seedlings subjected to long-term salt stressJuan F Jiménez-Bremont
División de Biologia Molecular, Instituto Potosino de Investigacion Cientifica y Tecnologica, Camino a Presa de San José 2055, Apartado Postal 3 74 Tangamanga, 78216 San Luis Potosi, Mexico
Plant Physiol Biochem 45:812-21. 2007..We observed that the maize plants tend to maintain or accumulate the levels of spermidine and spermine, while putrescine levels fluctuate depending on the NaCl concentration...
- Elevated polyamines induce c-MYC overexpression by perturbing quadruplex-WC duplex equilibriumNiti Kumar
Proteomics and Structural Biology Unit, Institute of Genomics and Integrative Biology, CSIR, Mall Road, Delhi 110 007, India
Nucleic Acids Res 37:3321-31. 2009..employed biophysical approach involving CD, UV and FRET to understand the role of polyamines (spermidine and spermine) on conformation, stability, molecular recognition of quadruplex and to investigate the effect of polyamines on ..
- The effect of experimental conditions on the detection of spermine in cell extracts and tissuesNicholas G Spencer
CRUK and EPSRC Cancer Imaging Centre, Institute of Cancer Research, Royal Marsden NHS Foundation Trust, Sutton, Surrey, UK
NMR Biomed 23:163-9. 2010..49 s, T(2) = 2.07 s), spermidine (T(1) = 1.27 s, T(2) = 1.05 s) and spermine (T(1) = 1.02 s, T(2) = 0.82 s)...
- Specific depletion of spermidine and spermine in HTC cells treated with inhibitors of aminopropyltransferasesT Beppu
Department of Analytical Chemistry, Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Josai University, Saitama
J Biochem 117:339-45. 1995The effects of a potent spermidine synthase inhibitor, trans-4-methylcyclohexylamine (4MCHA), and a spermine synthase inhibitor, N-(3-aminopropyl)cyclohexylamine (APCHA), on polyamine biosynthesis and cell growth have been studied in rat ..
- Spermine synthase deficiency resulting in X-linked intellectual disability (Snyder-Robinson syndrome)Charles E Schwartz
Greenwood Genetic Center, J C Self Research Institute, Greenwood, SC, USA
Methods Mol Biol 720:437-45. 2011..Polyamines, spermidine and spermine, are synthesized by two aminopropyltransferases, spermidine synthase and spermine synthase...
- DNA condensation by chiral alpha-methylated polyamine analogues and protection of cellular DNA from oxidative damageIrina Nayvelt
University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, New Brunswick, New Jersey 08903, USA
Biomacromolecules 11:97-105. 2010..We studied stereoisomers of alpha,alpha'-dimethylated spermine [(R,R)-Me(2)Spm, (S,S)-Me(2)Spm, (R,S)-Me(2)Spm] for their ability to provoke DNA condensation and protect DNA ..
- Spermine is not essential for growth of Saccharomyces cerevisiae: identification of the SPE4 gene (spermine synthase) and characterization of a spe4 deletion mutantN Hamasaki-Katagiri
Laboratory of Biochemical Pharmacology, National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892 0830, USA
Gene 210:195-201. 1998b>Spermine, ubiquitously present in most organisms, is the final product of the biosynthetic pathway for polyamines and is synthesized from spermidine...
- The polyamine spermine protects Arabidopsis from heat stress-induced damage by increasing expression of heat shock-related genesG H M Sagor
Graduate School of Life Sciences, Tohoku University, 2 1 1 Katahira, Aoba, Sendai, Miyagi 980 8577, Japan
Transgenic Res 22:595-605. 2013..expression of PA biosynthetic pathway genes upon exposure to heat shock (HS) in Arabidopsis and showed that the spermine (Spm) synthase gene (SPMS) and S-adenosylmethionine decarboxylase 2 gene are induced at the earliest stage, ..
- Spermine oxidase (SMO) activity in breast tumor tissues and biochemical analysis of the anticancer spermine analogues BENSpm and CPENSpmManuela Cervelli
Dipartimento di Biologia, Universita Roma Tre, Rome, Italy
BMC Cancer 10:555. 2010..This study investigates the expression of spermine oxidase (SMO) and its prognostic significance in BC...
- Effects of ethyl and benzyl analogues of spermine on Escherichia coli peptidyltransferase activity, polyamine transport, and cellular growthP Karahalios
Laboratory of Biochemistry, School of Medicine, University of Patras, GR 26500 Patras, Greece
J Bacteriol 181:3904-11. 1999Various ethyl and benzyl spermine analogues, including the anticancer agent N1,N12-bis(ethyl)spermine, were studied for their ability to affect the growth of cultured Escherichia coli cells, to inhibit [3H]putrescine and [3H]spermine ..
- Cadaverine inhibition of porin plays a role in cell survival at acidic pHHrissi Samartzidou
Department of Biology and Biochemistry, University of Houston, Houston, TX 77204, USA
J Bacteriol 185:13-9. 2003..of cadaverine excretion and the inhibition of porins, we isolated an OmpC mutant that showed resistance to spermine during growth and polyamine-resistant porin-mediated fluxes...
- Effects of exogenous spermine on chlorophyll fluorescence, antioxidant system and ultrastructure of chloroplasts in Cucumis sativus L. under salt stressSheng Shu
College of Horticulture, Nanjing Agricultural University, Key Laboratory of Southern Vegetable Crop Genetic Improvement, Ministry of Agriculture, Nanjing 210095, People s Republic of China
Plant Physiol Biochem 63:209-16. 2013The effects of exogenous spermine (Spm) on plant growth, chlorophyll fluorescence, ultrastructure and anti-oxidative metabolism of chloroplasts were investigated in Cucumis sativus L. under NaCl stress...
- Spermine and citrate as metabolic biomarkers for assessing prostate cancer aggressivenessGuro F Giskeødegård
MR Core Facility, Norwegian University of Science and Technology NTNU, Trondheim, Norway
PLoS ONE 8:e62375. 2013..High grade cancer tissue was distinguished from low grade cancer tissue by decreased concentrations of spermine (p = 0.0044) and citrate (p = 7...
- Very long chain N4, N9 -diacyl spermines: non-viral lipopolyamine vectors for efficient plasmid DNA and siRNA deliveryHassan M Ghonaim
Department of Pharmacy and Pharmacology, University of Bath, Bath, BA2 7AY, UK
Pharm Res 26:19-31. 2009..To study the effect of increasing the chain length over C-18 and varying the oxidation level in synthesized N4, N9-diacyl spermines on DNA and siRNA formulation, and then to compare their transfection efficiency in cell lines..
- Inhibition of cell proliferation and induction of apoptosis by N(1),N(11)-diethylnorspermine-induced polyamine pool reductionS M Oredsson
Department of Cell and Organism Biology, Lund University, Helgonavagen 3B, SE 223 62 Lund, Sweden
Biochem Soc Trans 35:405-9. 2007..Such work is especially important from the viewpoint of introducing drugs that affect polyamine homoeostasis in the treatment of various diseases such as cancer...
- Spermine causes loss of innate immune response to Helicobacter pylori by inhibition of inducible nitric-oxide synthase translationFrancoise I Bussiere
Department of Medicine, Division of Gastroenterology, and Greenebaum Cancer Center, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore, USA
J Biol Chem 280:2409-12. 2005..b>Spermine, in particular, has been shown to restrain immune response in activated macrophages by inhibiting proinflammatory ..
- Characterization of a novel spermidine/spermine acetyltransferase, BltD, from Bacillus subtilisD P Woolridge
Department of Biochemistry, University of Arizona, Arizona Cancer Center, 1515 N Campbell Avenue, Tucson, AZ 85724, USA
Biochem J 340:753-8. 1999Overexpression of the BltD gene in Bacillus subtilis causes acetylation of the polyamines spermidine and spermine. BltD is co-regulated with another gene, Blt, which encodes a multidrug export protein whose overexpression facilitates ..
- Cationic niosomes composed of spermine-based cationic lipids mediate high gene transfection efficiencyOrapan Paecharoenchai
Pharmaceutical Development of Green Innovations Group PDGIG, Faculty of Pharmacy, Silpakorn University, Nakhon Pathom 73000, Thailand
J Drug Target 20:783-92. 2012..The most appropriate niosomes formulation was mixed with novel synthesized spermine-based cationic lipids to prepare cationic niosomes that could act as gene carriers...
- Spermine attenuates behavioral and biochemical alterations induced by quinolinic acid in the striatum of ratsNádia Aléssio Velloso
Department of Chemistry, Center of Exact and Natural Sciences, Universidade Federal de Santa Maria, 97105 900 Santa Maria, RS, Brazil
Brain Res 1198:107-14. 2008..In the current study we investigated the protective effects of spermine, an agonist of the polyamine binding site at the N-methyl-d-aspartate receptor, against the behavioral and ..
- Activation of polyamine catabolism by N1, N11-diethylnorspermine alters the cellular localization of mTOR and downregulates mTOR protein level in glioblastoma cellsRongcai Jiang
Department of Pathology, The University of Texas, MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Cancer Biol Ther 6:1644-8. 2007N(1), N(11)-Diethylnorspermine (DENSPM) is a spermine analog and prototype anti-cancer drug that depletes cellular polyamine, increases cellular oxidative stress through the generation of H(2)O(2) and induces the death of multiple types ..
- Kinetic evaluation of polyamines as radical scavengersSeiichiro Fujisawa
Department of Oral Diagnosis, Meikai University School of Dentistry, Sakado, Saitama 350 0283, Japan
Anticancer Res 25:965-9. 2005..The n value for polyamines (putrescine, spermidine and spermine) was 0.1-0.7, whereas that for conventional synthetic antioxidants, BHA and BHT, was about 2...
- Suppression of LFA-1 expression by spermine is associated with enhanced methylation of ITGAL, the LFA-1 promoter areaYoshihiko Kano
Department of Surgery, Saitama Medical Center, Jichi Medical University, Saitama, Japan
PLoS ONE 8:e56056. 2013b>Spermine and spermidine, natural polyamines, suppress lymphocyte function-associated antigen 1 (LFA-1) expression and its associated cellular functions through mechanisms that remain unknown...
- N1,N12-Diacyl spermines: SAR studies on non-viral lipopolyamine vectors for plasmid DNA and siRNA formulationHassan M Ghonaim
Department of Pharmacy and Pharmacology, University of Bath, Bath, BA2 7AY, UK
Pharm Res 27:17-29. 2010..To study the efficiency of novel synthetic N(1),N(12)-diacyl spermines on DNA and siRNA binding, and to compare their transfection efficiency with viability in cell lines...
- Comparison of three cytotoxicity tests in the evaluation of the cytotoxicity of a spermine analogue on human breast cancer cell linesC Martina Holst
Department of Cell and Organism Biology, Lund University, Animal Physiology Building, Helgonavagen 3B, SE 223 62 Lund, Sweden
Toxicol In Vitro 19:379-87. 2005Using three cytotoxicity assays, we have investigated the effect of the spermine analogue N1,N11-diethylnorspermine (DENSPM) on four human breast cancer cell lines with different known genetic lesions...
- Characterization of Pt-, Pd-spermine complexes for their effect on polyamine pathway and cisplatin resistance in A2780 ovarian carcinoma cellsRamakumar Tummala
Department of Medicine, Roswell Park Cancer Institute, Buffalo, NY 14263, USA
Oncol Rep 24:15-24. 2010..Two complexes i) Pt-spermine with two cisplatin molecules linked to a spermine in the center and ii) Pd-spermine with similar structure i, but ..
- Effects of human milk and spermine on hydrogen peroxide-induced oxidative damage in IEC-6 cellsHiromichi Shoji
Department of Pediatrics, Juntendo University School of Medicine, Hongo, Tokyo, Japan
J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 41:460-5. 2005..Human milk (HM) contains various bioactive substances, some of which are known as antioxidants, including polyamines such as spermine (SPM). We examined the antioxidative properties of HM and SPM in an intestinal epithelial cell line.
- Role of Polyamines in MYCN-Amplified NeuroblastomaANDRE BACHMANN; Fiscal Year: 2009..Specifically, we will determine the differential effects of individual polyamines (putrescine, spermidine, and spermine) on the regulation and phosphorylation/activation of key signaling proteins including MYCN, p27Kip1, Cdk2, Akt, ..
- Androgen Receptor-JunD Complex Inhibitors to Prevent Prostate Cancer ProgressionHirak S Basu; Fiscal Year: 2012..Our published data show androgen induces spermidine/spermine acetyl transferase (SSAT) that initiates a spermidine and spermine oxidation pathway to generate copious amounts ..
- H. pylori induced DNA Damage and Immune DysregulationKeith T Wilson; Fiscal Year: 2013..In both in vitro and in vivo models, ODC-derived spermine synthesis results in 1.) apoptosis;and 2...
- MAMMALIAN POLYAMINE METABOLISMDavid J Feith; Fiscal Year: 2013..AdoMetDC provides the aminopropyl groups that are necessary for synthesis of the higher polyamines spermidine and spermine from the diamine putrescine...
- Role of Polyamine Oxidase in Apoptosis Studies with RNA InterferenceGLENN KUEHN; Fiscal Year: 2009A voluminous literature documents studies that correlate the catabolism of the polyamines, spermidine and spermine, in plant and animal cells with the process of programmed cell death (apoptosis)...
- Nicotinamide N-methyltransferase (NNMT) in obesity and insulin resistanceQin Yang; Fiscal Year: 2013..antisense oligonucleotides (ASO) in adipose tissue and liver of mice fed a high fat diet induces expression of spermine/spermidine acetyltransferase (SSAT), a key enzyme regulating polyamine flux in adipose tissue, and causes ..
- Validation of Biomarkers to Distinguish Aggressive from Indolent Prostate CancerGeorge Wilding; Fiscal Year: 2013..In the last 5 years, we have established that an increase in the enzymatic activity of spermidine/spermine acetyl transferase (SSAT) is primarily responsible for the cellular ROS production in ADPCa cells...
- Risk reduction through polyamine inhibition among colorectal carcinoma patientsJASON ZELL; Fiscal Year: 2012..of the polyamine-regulatory genes ornithine decarboxylase-1(Odc1, involved in polyamine synthesis) and spermidine spermine acetyltransferase (Ssat, involved in polyamine cellular export)...
- DNA - DNA interactions with atomic detailLois Pollack; Fiscal Year: 2013..g., spermine and spermidine...
- Re-expression of Aberrantly Silenced Genes Induced by Polyamine AnaloguesRobert A Casero; Fiscal Year: 2013..The catalytic domain of LSD1 is homologous to the FAD-dependent spermine oxidase (SMO). Our laboratory first cloned and characterized SMO and aided in the discovery of LSD1...
- Cellular Mapping of Small Molecule/Nucleic Acid InteractionsMicah J Bodner; Fiscal Year: 2012..b>Spermine, a polyamine, binds specifically to RNA tertiary structures to regulate cell growth and protein expression...
- The role of polyamine oxidase in antitumor drug responseRobert A Casero; Fiscal Year: 2013..that production of reactive oxygen species through intracellular polyamine oxidation by our recently cloned spermine oxidase (SMO) plays a significant role in inflammation-associated tumorigenesis...
- The Use of Polyamines in Treatment of Multidrug-Resistant Gram-Negative PathogensDong Hyeon Kwon; Fiscal Year: 2013..PI discovered that exogenous polyamines (spermine, spermidine, and putrescine) in combination with 2-lactams sensitized 2- lactam resistance (become 4- to 64-fold ..
- Integrin-mediated Regulation of Airway Smooth MuscleDean Sheppard; Fiscal Year: 2013..We have previously shown that the [unreadable]9 subunit cytoplasmic domain directly binds the enzyme spermine/spermidine acetyltransferase (SSAT), the rate limiting step in catabolism of higher order polyamines, and that ..
- GAP JUNCTIONS AND IONIC CURRENTS IN DEVELOPING HEARTJenny J Yang; Fiscal Year: 2013..specific inhibitory properties of heteromeric Cx43-Cx40 channel function or the blockade of Cx40 gap junctions by spermine. In a new final aim of this proposal, we demonstrate the functional significance of recently predicted Cx43 ..
- Validating novel drug targets in Trypanosoma cruzi polyamine biosynthesisMichael C Gretes; Fiscal Year: 2013..isolate clones bearing these potentially conditionally lethal deletions by supplementation with spermidine and spermine, which can be scavenged by the parasite;1...
- Mechanism of Action of Macrophage Targeted DrugsKENNETH HADLOCK; Fiscal Year: 2011..These observations are consistent with the recently described immunosuppressive role of the native polyamine spermine in monocytes...
- SNRP Program at UCCMaria Bykhovskaia; Fiscal Year: 2012..effects of thyroid hormones on the nAChR and on synapse remodelling, and modulation of potassium channels by spermine. Collaborators are from Washington University and UCLA. Program activities include seminars, courses, travel, etc...
- Development of Metabolomic and Molecular Probes for Prostate Cancer AssessmentLeo L Cheng; Fiscal Year: 2012..project will test the hypothesis that PCa growth and aggression potential may be evaluated through measurement of spermine and citrate levels with intact-tissue magnetic resonance spectroscopy (MRS) and quantification of the expression ..
- Polynuclear Platinums in Targeted and Combination Glioma TherapyOliver Bogler; Fiscal Year: 2012..Our lead compound is BBR3610, a spermine linker-based PPC, that is 250x more potent in suppressing clonogenicity of glioma cells than cisplatin...
- Polyamines and Brain SignalingSerguei N Skatchkov; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): The polyamines (PA), spermine (SPM) and spermidine (SPD), are reported to be neuroprotective and increase longevity...
- DIET METHIONINE--S-ADO, POLYAMINES AND MAMMARY TUMORSERVIN HAWRYLEWICZ; Fiscal Year: 1993..Induction of ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) and increased polyamine synthesis (putrescine, spermidine and spermine) is associated with increased cell proliferation...
- Low-cost, rapid quantitative Isothermal Assay for HIV RNA using ZNAHuimin Kong; Fiscal Year: 2013..ZNAs are oligonucleotides conjugated to a number of cationic spermine moieties that enhance the effective concentration of primers and probes near nucleic acid targets...
- POLYAMINE INHIBITORS TARGETING MICROSPORIDIAMurray Wittner; Fiscal Year: 2007..in the human pathogen Encephalitozoon cuniculi, and found the major natural polyamines putrescine, spermidine and spermine that are ubiquitous in cells and necessary for growth and division...
- ALDEHYDE DEHYDROGENASE AND PATHOGENESIS OF ALCOHOLISMREGINA PIETRUSZKO; Fiscal Year: 1993..Putrescine arises from ornithine by decarboxylation and is converted via putrescine pathway to spermine and spermidine, important in development and differentiation or via diamine oxidase and aldehyde dehydrogenase ..
- Polyamine Modulation of Goncoccal VirulenceWILLIAM MAURICE SHAFER; Fiscal Year: 2013..Using spermine as a model polyamine, we have acquired evidence that gonococci mount a stress response in its presence...
- ROLE OF POLYAMINES IN POSTNATAL COCHLEAR DEVELOPMENTCharles Henley; Fiscal Year: 1993..The goals of the proposed research include quantification of ODC and the polyamines putrescine, spermidine, and spermine during postnatal cochlear development followed by an examination of the effects of inhibitors of ODC including ..
- NUTRITIONAL MODIFICATION OF CANCER CELL GROWTHCRAIG BYUS; Fiscal Year: 1990..by the enzyme ornithine decarboxylase to form putrescine, which in turn is converted to spermidine and spermine. The polyamines (putrescine, spermidine, and spermine) have for many years been known to be required for both ..
- Rational Design of Inhibitors of Polyamine SynthesisSteven Ealick; Fiscal Year: 2007..Polyamines are ubiquitous cellular components and are necessary for normal cell growth. In humans, spermine and spermidine are the main polyamines...
- REGULATION OF N ARGININE DIBASIC CONVERTASEEva Csuhai; Fiscal Year: 2000..RD convertase is sensitive to inhibition by the polyamines spermine and spermidine...
- Detection of Novel Polyamine Analogs with Anti-Prostate Cancer ActivitySalim Merali; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Synthesis of the polyamine catabolic enzyme spermidine/spermine-N1-acetyltransferase (SSAT) has been known to increase rapidly in response to increased polyamines and our new data explain the protein ..
- Structure and stability of Holliday junctionsPUI HO; Fiscal Year: 2005..the specific interactions of junctions with monovalent and divalent metal ions, and the polyvalent cations spermine and spermidine...
- Polyamine metabolism in heart and kidney ischemic injuryManoocher Soleimani; Fiscal Year: 2005..The results identified enhanced expression of Spermidine/Spermine N-1 acetyltransferase (SSAT), the rate limiting enzyme involved in the catabolism of polyamines, in IRI...
- GENOMIC ABERRATIONS BY OPTICAL MAPPINGDavid Schwartz; Fiscal Year: 2000..We will explore further approaches to mounting large DNA molecules based on spermine condensation of metaphase chromosomes...
- GROWTH REGULATION OF POLYAMINE SYNTHESISDavid Morris; Fiscal Year: 2001..decarboxylase (AdoMetDC) is a key regulated enzyme in the pathway of synthesis of the polyamines, spermidine and spermine. The polyamines are necessary for cell growth; deregulation of polyamine biosynthesis can lead to neoplastic ..
- POLYAMINES IN THE REGULATION OF GASTROINTESTINAL GROWTHEDWARD SEIDEL; Fiscal Year: 1993The overall objective of this proposal is to study and define the role of the polyamines putrescine, spermidine, spermine and cadaverine in the role of the polyamines putrescine, spermidine, spermine and cadaverine in the regulation of ..
- Polyamine Defects in Pediatric Brain DisordersKeith Hyland; Fiscal Year: 2003..fluorescence detection, we will establish and validate a method to allow measurement of putrescine, spermidine, spermine and the acetyl derivatives of spermine and spermidine in cerebrospinal fluid (CSF)...
- STRUCTURAL AND MECHANISTIC ANALYSIS OF LIVER ARGINASEDavid Ash; Fiscal Year: 2001..and macrophages where it provides a source of L-ornithine for the biosynthesis of proline and the polyamines, spermine and spermidine...
- BIOLOGICAL EVALUATION OF NEW ACTINIDE CHELATING AGENTSPatricia Durbin; Fiscal Year: 1999..is highly effective for Am(III); octadentate H(2,2)-(Me-3,2-HOPO) based on tetrakis-(2-aminoethylene)amine and spermine based 3,4,3-LI(1,2-HOPO) are highly effective for Pu(IV) and Np(V). Research plans focus on the HOPO ligands: 1...
- ANDROGEN-RESPONSIVE PROSTATE EPITHELIAL CELLSWALLACE MC KEEHAN; Fiscal Year: 1980..The (3H)polyamines were derivatized and the spermidine (SD), spermine (SP) and putrescine (PT) separated by thin layer chromatography...
- TRANS-ACTIVATED EXPRESSION OF HSV IMMEDIATE EARLY GENESSTEVEN TRIEZENBERG; Fiscal Year: 2001..Finally, given that the viral DNA is packaged in capsids with spermine, the potential role of spermine catabolism in expression of IE genes will be tested using in vivo radiolabeling ..
- POLYAMINE METABOLISM IN DIABETESJon Levine; Fiscal Year: 1980..ODC), thought to be the rate-limiting enzyme in the biosynthesis of the polyamines putrescine, spermidine and spermine, following the onset of diabetes mellitus...
- ANTIMICROBIAL STEROL CONJUGATESSTEVEN REGEN; Fiscal Year: 1999..18 squalamine mimics based upon deoxycholic acid, lithocholic acid, and chenodeoxycholic acid ring systems, plus spermine and poly(ethylene glycol)s...
- MR Based Molecular Imaging of Prostate CancerJohn Kurhanewicz; Fiscal Year: 2009..4) The dramatic decrease in prostatic spermine concentration with prostate cancer evolution, progression and in response to hormone deprivation therapy is ..
- DRUG DISCOVERY--POLYAMINE METABOLISM OF CRYPTOSPORIDIUMJANET KEITHLY; Fiscal Year: 1999..forward- directed enzyme arginine decarboxylase (ADC), and athe back-converting, regulatory enzyme spermidine/spermine N1-acetyltransferase (SSAT). Project 1: Molecular Analyses will be directed by Drs. Jan Keithly, PI, and Guan Zhu...
- STUDIES OF SYNTHETIC METALLOENZYME MIMICSCYNTHIA BURROWS; Fiscal Year: 1991..New macrocyclic nickel complexes will also be studied which bear polyammonium side chains derived from spermine. Association of the spermine polycations to the phosphate backbone of a nucleic acid will deliver a nickel ..
- Gordon Research Conference of PolyamineEugene Gerner; Fiscal Year: 2005..The predominant, naturally occurring polyamines, spermidine and spermine and their diamine precursor, putrescine are maintained at high intracellular concentrations by a highly regulated ..
- CYTOGENETICS AND MOLECULAR GENETICS OF GYNECOLOGIC TUMORTERESA YANG FENG; Fiscal Year: 1990..Defined medium containing a fibroblast inhibitor, e.g. spermine, is used for the development of cell lines in culture...
- GORDON CONFERENCE ON POLYAMINESPhilip Coffino; Fiscal Year: 1999..The abundant naturally occurring polyamines are spermidine and spermine, along with the diamine precursor, putrescine...
- MODULATION OF KAINATE RECEPTORSRaymond Dingledine; Fiscal Year: 2003..We recently found that several forms of modulation previously thought to mBuence only NMDA receptors (protons, spermine, Zn2+, ifenprodil, dynorphin, redox conditions) also control kainate receptor activation in a subunit-selective ..
- ORIGINS AND COMPARTMENTALIZATION OF ANTIZYME PROTEINSJohn Mitchell; Fiscal Year: 2000..The polyamines, spermidine and spermine, and their diamine precursor, putrescine, are aliphatic cations essential for mammalian cell growth and viability...
- Calcium Sensing Receptor in Human Airway EpitheliumPHILLIP LAMBERTY; Fiscal Year: 2003..coupled receptor, described agonists other than calcium include other polycations (Mg2+, Gd3+), polyamines (spermine, neomycin), and aminoglycosides...
- A PROGRAM FOR DEVELOPMENT OF NEW ANTITUMOR ENZYMESJOSEPH ROBERTS; Fiscal Year: 1980..of depleting plasma cystine in vivo; (b) enzymes which will attack the polyamines (putrescine, spermidine and spermine) in vivo...
- Polyamine Catabolism in Platinum Drug ActionLakshmi Pendyala; Fiscal Year: 2009..oxaliplatin and cisplatin potently induce gene expression of the key polyamine (PA) catabolic enzyme, spermidine/ spermine N1-acetyltransferase (SSAT), in cultured A2780 ovarian carcinoma cells...
- SSAT Involvement alpha9 Integrin-Mediated Cell MigrationGREGORY DEHART; Fiscal Year: 2005..In an effort to investigate the molecular mechanisms behind alpha9 integrin-mediated cell migration, spermidine/spermine-N'-acetyltransferase (SSAT), a regulator of cellular polyamine levels, was identified as one alpha9 integrin ..
- MEMBRANE FUSIONJOSEPH BENTZ; Fiscal Year: 1992..The protein synexin and the polyamine spermine have both been implicated as mediators of intracellular fusion events involved in exocytosis...
- POLYAMINE ANALOG REGULATION OF CELL CYCLE AND APOPTOSISCarl Porter; Fiscal Year: 2007..In the case of analogs, potent induction of the catabolic enzyme, spermidine/spermine N1-acetyltransferase (SSAT), emerged as the key initiator of metabolic and signaling events that culminate in ..
- Antiproliferative Potential of Polyamine CatabolismCarl Porter; Fiscal Year: 2007..is predicated on the fact that conditional overexpression of the polyamine-acetylating enzyme, spermidine/spermine Nl-acetyltransferase (SSAT), depletes intracellular polyamine pools and inhibits cell growth...
- IMPLICATIONS OF INDUCIBLE POLYAMINE CATABOLISMCarl Porter; Fiscal Year: 1992..polyamine catabolism and (2) in many human tumor cell lines, the polyamine catabolizing enzyme, spermidine/spermine N1-acetyltransferase (SSAT) displays an inducibility in response to polyamine analogs which is highly unique in ..
- ORGANIC LIGANDS THAT ALTER PARATHYROID CELL FUNCTIONEdward Nemeth; Fiscal Year: 1990..Organic polycations (most notably spermine) will be examined for their ability using bovine and human parathyroid cells to: 1) mobilize intracellular Ca2+; ..
- Polyamine Suppression By Antizyme inducing AnalogsJohn Mitchell; Fiscal Year: 2002..The polyamines, spermidine and spermine, and their diamine precursor, putrescine, are aliphatic cations essential for mammalian cell growth and viability...
- INVESTIGATIONS OF MAMMALIAN AMINOPROPYLTRANSFERASESANTHONY PEGG; Fiscal Year: 2009..The planned experiments focus on studies of the synthesis, function and regulation of spermine levels in mammals. They follow up on several major findings made during the last period of support...