Genomes and Genes
Summary: An antitubercular agent that inhibits the transfer of mycolic acids into the cell wall of the tubercle bacillus. It may also inhibit the synthesis of spermidine in mycobacteria. The action is usually bactericidal, and the drug can penetrate human cell membranes to exert its lethal effect. (From Smith and Reynard, Textbook of Pharmacology, 1992, p863)
Publications241 found, 100 shown here
- Evolution of high-level ethambutol-resistant tuberculosis through interacting mutations in decaprenylphosphoryl-β-D-arabinose biosynthetic and utilization pathway genesHassan Safi
1 Division of Infectious Disease, New Jersey Medical School, Rutgers University, Newark, New Jersey, USA 2 Center for Emerging and Re emerging Pathogens, New Jersey Medical School, Rutgers University, Newark, New Jersey, USA 3 Department of Medicine, New Jersey Medical School, Rutgers University, Newark, New Jersey, USA
Nat Genet 45:1190-7. 2013..we genetically and biochemically characterized Mycobacterium tuberculosis strains selected in vitro for ethambutol resistance...
- The emb operon, a gene cluster of Mycobacterium tuberculosis involved in resistance to ethambutolA Telenti
Institute for Medical Microbiology, University of Bern, Switzerland
Nat Med 3:567-70. 1997b>Ethambutol (EMB), a frontline antituberculous drug, targets the mycobacterial cell wall, a unique structure among prokaryotes which consists of an outer layer of mycolic acids covalently bound to peptidoglycan via the arabinogalactan...
- Moxifloxacin versus ethambutol in the initial treatment of tuberculosis: a double-blind, randomised, controlled phase II trialMarcus B Conde
Instituto de Doencas do Torax Hospital Clementino Fraga Filho, Federal University of Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Lancet 373:1183-9. 2009..The fluoroquinolone moxifloxacin is a promising new agent that might have additive activity to existing antituberculosis agents. We assessed the activity and safety of moxifloxacin in the initial stage of tuberculosis treatment...
- Detection by GenoType MTBDRsl test of complex mechanisms of resistance to second-line drugs and ethambutol in multidrug-resistant Mycobacterium tuberculosis complex isolatesFlorence Brossier
National Reference Centre for Mycobacteria, Hopital Pitie Salpetriere, AP HP, and Universite Pierre et Marie Curie, université Paris 06, Faculté de Médecine Pitié Salpêtrière, Paris, France
J Clin Microbiol 48:1683-9. 2010The GenoType MTBDRsl test rapidly detects resistance to ethambutol, fluoroquinolones, and second-line aminoglycosides (amikacin and kanamycin) and cyclic peptide (capreomycin) in Mycobacterium tuberculosis...
- Combinatorial lead optimization of [1,2]-diamines based on ethambutol as potential antituberculosis preclinical candidatesRichard E Lee
Tuberculosis Research Section, NIAID, National Institutes of Health, Rockville, Maryland 20850, USA
J Comb Chem 5:172-87. 2003Despite relatively modest potency, ethambutol (EMB, (S,S)-[N,N-di-2-amino-1-butanol]ethylenediamine) is a mainstay of contemporary chemotherapy for the treatment of tuberculosis...
- Decreased retinal nerve fibre layer thickness detected by optical coherence tomography in patients with ethambutol-induced optic neuropathySamantha J Chai
Department of Ophthalmology, Cullen Eye Institute, Baylor College of Medicine, 6565 Fannin NC 205, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Br J Ophthalmol 91:895-7. 2007It is difficult to assess the degree of optic nerve damage in patients with ethambutol-induced optic neuropathy, especially just after the onset of visual loss, when the optic disc typically looks normal.
- The embAB genes of Mycobacterium avium encode an arabinosyl transferase involved in cell wall arabinan biosynthesis that is the target for the antimycobacterial drug ethambutolA E Belanger
Department of Microbiology, Colorado State University, Fort Collins 80523, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 93:11919-24. 1996The antimycobacterial compound ethambutol [Emb; dextro-2,2'-(ethylenediimino)-di-1-butanol] is used to treat tuberculosis as well as disseminated infections caused by Mycobacterium avium...
- Transfer of embB codon 306 mutations into clinical Mycobacterium tuberculosis strains alters susceptibility to ethambutol, isoniazid, and rifampinHassan Safi
Division of Infectious Disease and Center for Emerging Pathogens, Department of Medicine, New Jersey Medical School, University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey, Newark, New Jersey 07103, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 52:2027-34. 2008Implicated as a major mechanism of ethambutol (EMB) resistance in clinical studies of Mycobacterium tuberculosis, mutations in codon 306 of the embB gene (embB306) have also been detected in EMB-susceptible clinical isolates...
- Efficacy of a 6-month versus 9-month intermittent treatment regimen in HIV-infected patients with tuberculosis: a randomized clinical trialSoumya Swaminathan
Tuberculosis Research Center, Indian Council of Medical Research, Chetput, Chennai, India
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 181:743-51. 2010..The outcome of fully intermittent thrice-weekly antituberculosis treatment of various durations in HIV-associated tuberculosis is unclear...
- Significance of mutations in embB codon 306 for prediction of ethambutol resistance in clinical Mycobacterium tuberculosis isolatesClaudia Plinke
Forschungszentrum Borstel, National Reference Center for Mycobacteria, Parkallee 18, D 23845 Borstel, Germany
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 50:1900-2. 2006We analyzed 159 Mycobacterium tuberculosis isolates (101 ethambutol [EMB]-resistant strains, 33 multidrug-resistant but not EMB-resistant strains, and 25 fully susceptible strains) for the presence of mutations in embB codon 306 (embB306)...
- Moxifloxacin versus ethambutol in the first 2 months of treatment for pulmonary tuberculosisWilliam J Burman
Denver Public Health and the Department of Medicine, University of Colorado Health Sciences National Jewish Medical and Research Center, Denver, Colorado, USA
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 174:331-8. 2006..Moxifloxacin has promising preclinical activity against Mycobacterium tuberculosis, but has not been evaluated in multidrug treatment of tuberculosis in humans...
- Molecular genetic analysis of nucleotide polymorphisms associated with ethambutol resistance in human isolates of Mycobacterium tuberculosisS V Ramaswamy
Laboratory of Human Bacterial Pathogenesis, Rocky Mountain Laboratories, National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, National Institutes of Health, Hamilton, Montana 59840, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 44:326-36. 2000b>Ethambutol (EMB) is a central component of drug regimens used worldwide for the treatment of tuberculosis...
- Frequency of embB codon 306 mutations in ethambutol-susceptible and -resistant clinical Mycobacterium tuberculosis isolates in KuwaitS Ahmad
Department of Microbiology, Kuwait University, P O Box 24923, Safat 13110, Kuwait
Tuberculosis (Edinb) 87:123-9. 2007Recent reports of embB306 mutations in ethambutol-resistant and ethambutol-susceptible drug-resistant strains of Mycobacterium tuberculosis have questioned the significance of these mutations in conferring resistance to ethambutol (EMB).
- Transcriptional control of the mycobacterial embCAB operon by PknH through a regulatory protein, EmbR, in vivoKirti Sharma
Institute of Genomics and Integrative Biology, Mall Road, Delhi 110 007, India
J Bacteriol 188:2936-44. 2006..The PknH-mediated increase in the transcription of embAB genes significantly alters resistance to ethambutol, a frontline antituberculosis drug known to target embAB genes...
- Prevalence of tuberculosis drug resistance in 10 provinces of ChinaGuang Xue He
National Center for TB control and prevention, China Center for Disease Control and Prevention CDC, Beijing, PR China
BMC Infect Dis 8:166. 2008..The emergence of drug-resistant tuberculosis (TB) hampers TB control. Ten provinces in China performed drug resistance surveys among tuberculosis (TB) patients in 1996-2004 to assess levels of drug resistance...
- Comparison of a four-drug fixed-dose combination regimen with a single tablet regimen in smear-positive pulmonary tuberculosisA Bartacek
Sandoz GmbH, Kundl, Austria
Int J Tuberc Lung Dis 13:760-6. 2009..the efficacy, safety and acceptability of two short-course regimens of isoniazid, rifampicin, pyrazinamide and ethambutol (HRZE) given either as fixed-dose combination (4-FDC) tablets or as single tablets (ST) in patients with newly ..
- Impact of iron loading on the activity of isoniazid or ethambutol in the treatment of murine tuberculosisN Lounis
Laboratoire de Bacteriologie, Faculté de Médecine Pitié Salpêtrière, Paris, France
Int J Tuberc Lung Dis 7:575-9. 2003To assess the impact of iron loading on the activity of isoniazid and ethambutol in the treatment of murine tuberculosis.
- Mycobacterium tuberculosis embB codon 306 mutations confer moderately increased resistance to ethambutol in vitro and in vivoClaudia Plinke
Molecular Mycobacteriology Group, National Reference Center for Mycobacteria, Forschungszentrum Borstel, Parkallee 1 40, 23845 Borstel, Germany
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 55:2891-6. 2011b>Ethambutol (EMB) is a major component of the first-line therapy of tuberculosis. Mutations in codon 306 of embB (embB306) were suggested as a major resistance mechanism in clinical isolates...
- Ethambutol, a cell wall inhibitor of Mycobacterium tuberculosis, elicits L-glutamate efflux of Corynebacterium glutamicumEva Radmacher
Institute for Biotechnology, Research Centre Julich, D 52425 Julich, Germany
Microbiology 151:1359-68. 2005..This study shows that addition of ethambutol (EMB) to growing cultures of C...
- GenoType MTBDRsl performance on clinical samples with diverse genetic backgroundPaolo Miotto
Emerging Bacterial Pathogens Unit, Division of Immunology, Transplantation and Infectious Diseases, San Raffaele Scientific Institute, Via Olgettina 58, 20132 Milano, Italy
Eur Respir J 40:690-8. 2012..of the MTBDRsl in detecting resistance to fluoroquinolones (FQ), second-line injectable drugs (SLID), and ethambutol (EMB) on clinical isolates were similar (specificity ∼ 99%, sensitivity ∼ 70%, and positive predictive value ..
- The Mycobacterium tuberculosis iniA gene is essential for activity of an efflux pump that confers drug tolerance to both isoniazid and ethambutolRoberto Colangeli
Division of Infectious Disease and the Center for Emerging Pathogens, Department of Medicine, New Jersey Medical School, University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey, Newark, NJ 07103, USA
Mol Microbiol 55:1829-40. 2005..initial inhibition of Mycobacterium tuberculosis by the first-line antituberculosis drugs isoniazid (INH) and ethambutol (EMB). Understanding these pathways should provide significant insights into the adaptive strategies M...
- Analysis of gene mutations associated with isoniazid, rifampicin and ethambutol resistance among Mycobacterium tuberculosis isolates from EthiopiaBelay Tessema
Department of Medical Laboratory Technology, College of Medicine and Health Sciences, University of Gondar, Gondar, Ethiopia
BMC Infect Dis 12:37. 2012..to analyze the frequency of gene mutations associated with resistance to isoniazid (INH), rifampicin (RMP) and ethambutol (EMB) among Mycobacterium tuberculosis isolates from Northwest Ethiopia, and to assess the performance of the ..
- Spread of extensively drug-resistant tuberculosis in KwaZulu-Natal province, South AfricaPrashini Moodley
KwaZulu Natal Research Institute for Tuberculosis and HIV K RITH, Durban, South Africa
PLoS ONE 6:e17513. 2011..KZN is divided into 11 healthcare districts. We sought to determine the distribution of XDR TB cases in the province in relation to population density...
- Rapid diagnosis of drug resistance to fluoroquinolones, amikacin, capreomycin, kanamycin and ethambutol using genotype MTBDRsl assay: a meta-analysisYan Feng
Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, School of Public Health, Nanjing Medical University, Nanjing, People s Republic of China
PLoS ONE 8:e55292. 2013..to synthesize the latest data on the diagnostic accuracy of GenoType MTBDRsl in detecting drug resistance to fluoroquinolones, amikacin, capreomycin, kanamycin and ethambutol, in comparison with the phenotypic drug susceptibility test.
- Population pharmacokinetics of ethambutol in South African tuberculosis patientsSiv Jönsson
Department of Pharmaceutical Biosciences, Uppsala University, P O Box 591, SE 751 24 Uppsala, Sweden
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 55:4230-7. 2011b>Ethambutol, one of four drugs in the first-line antitubercular regimen, is used to protect against rifampin resistance in the event of preexisting resistance to isoniazid...
- embB306 mutations as molecular indicators to predict ethambutol susceptibility in Mycobacterium tuberculosisFrederick A Sirgel
DST NRF Centre of Excellence for Biomedical TB Research MRC Centre for Molecular and Cellular Biology, Division of Molecular Biology and Human Genetics, Faculty of Health Science, Stellenbosch University, Cape Town, South Africa
Chemotherapy 58:358-63. 2012Discordant results in conventional susceptibility testing of ethambutol against Mycobacterium tuberculosis may lead to underreporting of drug resistance.
- In vitro activity of C-8-methoxy fluoroquinolones against mycobacteria when combined with anti-tuberculosis agentsTao Lu
Public Health Research Institute, 225 Warren Street, Newark, NJ 07103, USA
J Antimicrob Chemother 52:1025-8. 2003..To examine the effect of first-line and second-line anti-tuberculosis agents on the ability of fluoroquinolones to kill mycobacteria...
- Comparison of intermittent ethambutol with rifampicin-based regimens in HIV-infected adults with PTB, KampalaA Okwera
National Tuberculosis and Leprosy Programme, Kampala, Uganda Case Western Reserve University Research Collaboration, Kampala, Uganda
Int J Tuberc Lung Dis 10:39-44. 2006..We conducted a study to compare the efficacy and safety of intermittent ethambutol (E, EMB) with two RMP-containing regimens to treat pulmonary TB in HIV-infected patients.
- Novel mutations within the embB gene in ethambutol-susceptible clinical isolates of Mycobacterium tuberculosisAnn S G Lee
Division of Medical Sciences, National Cancer Centre, Singapore 169610, Republic of Singapore
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 48:4447-9. 2004Genetic analysis of the embB gene revealed mutations in 17 (68%) of 25 ethambutol (EMB) resistant isolates (M306I, M306V, M306L, Q497R) but also in 4 (20%) of 20 EMB-susceptible isolates of Mycobacterium tuberculosis, namely, an ATG-->..
- Efflux-pump-derived multiple drug resistance to ethambutol monotherapy in Mycobacterium tuberculosis and the pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of ethambutolShashikant Srivastava
Department of Medicine, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, Texas 75390 9113, USA
J Infect Dis 201:1225-31. 2010b>Ethambutol is used for the treatment of tuberculosis in cases where there is isoniazid resistance. We examined the emergence of drug resistance to ethambutol monotherapy in pharmacokinetic-pharmacodynamic studies of a hollow-fiber system.
- Allelic exchange and mutant selection demonstrate that common clinical embCAB gene mutations only modestly increase resistance to ethambutol in Mycobacterium tuberculosisHassan Safi
Division of Infectious Disease and the Center for Emerging Pathogens, Department of Medicine, New Jersey Medical School, University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey, Newark, New Jersey 07103, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 54:103-8. 2010Mutations within codon 306 of the Mycobacterium tuberculosis embB gene modestly increase ethambutol (EMB) MICs. To identify other causes of EMB resistance and to identify causes of high-level resistance, we generated EMB-resistant M...
- Genetic characterisation of the ethambutol resistance-determining region in Mycobacterium tuberculosis: prevalence and significance of embB306 mutationsJoão Perdigão
Centro de Patogenese Molecular, URIA, Faculdade de Farmacia, Universidade de Lisboa, Portugal
Int J Antimicrob Agents 33:334-8. 2009b>Ethambutol (EMB) is a first-line antitubercular drug that inhibits arabinogalactan and lipoarabinomannan biosynthesis. Resistance to EMB has traditionally been associated with embB mutations, especially in the Met306 codon...
- Incidence and clinical features of ethambutol-induced optic neuropathy in KoreaEun Ji Lee
Department of Ophthalmology, Seoul National University College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
J Neuroophthalmol 28:269-77. 2008The incidence, clinical manifestations, and contributory factors in ethambutol-induced optic neuropathy (EON) have not been widely studied.
- Diagnosis and treatment of infections due to Mycobacterium avium complexShannon H Kasperbauer
Division of Mycobacterial and Respiratory Infections, National Jewish Health, Denver, Colorado 80206, USA
Semin Respir Crit Care Med 29:569-76. 2008..Treatment consists of a macrolide, rifamycin, and ethambutol given three times weekly for noncavitary disease and daily with or without an aminoglycoside for cavitary disease...
- Pharmacodynamics and pharmacokinetics of SQ109, a new diamine-based antitubercular drugLee Jia
Developmental Therapeutics Program, National Cancer Institute NIH, 6130 Executive Boulevard, Rockville, MD 20852, U S A
Br J Pharmacol 144:80-7. 2005SQ109 is a novel [1,2]-diamine-based ethambutol (EMB) analog developed from high-throughput combinatorial screening. The present study aimed at characterizing its pharmacodynamics and pharmacokinetics...
- Efficacy and safety of a 4-drug fixed-dose combination regimen compared with separate drugs for treatment of pulmonary tuberculosis: the Study C randomized controlled trialChristian Lienhardt
Clinical Trial Division, International Union Against Tuberculosis and Lung Disease, Paris, France
JAMA 305:1415-23. 2011..Fixed-dose combinations (FDCs) of drugs for treatment of tuberculosis have been advocated to prevent the emergence of drug resistance...
- Phenotypic and molecular characterization of Mycobacterium tuberculosis isolates resistant to both isoniazid and ethambutolLinda M Parsons
Wadsworth Center, New York State Department of Health, 120 New Scotland Ave, Albany, NY 12208, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 49:2218-25. 2005..5 microg/ml ethambutol (EMB) occurred only in isolates that are also resistant to 0.4 microg/ml isoniazid (INH)...
- Detection of embB codon 306 mutations in ethambutol resistant Mycobacterium tuberculosis directly from sputum samples: a low-cost, rapid approachH Rinder
Department of Infectious Diseases and Tropical Medicine, University of Munich, Leopoldstr 5, 80202 Munich, Germany
Mol Cell Probes 15:37-42. 2001Substitutions of codon 306 in the gene embB are the most common mutations found in ethambutol resistant Mycobacterium tuberculosis...
- Risk factors for ethambutol optic toxicityKatherine Anne Talbert Estlin
Doheny Eye Institute, Keck School of Medicine, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA 90033, USA
Int Ophthalmol 30:63-72. 2010Optic neuropathy is a well-known complication of ethambutol therapy and usually manifests as a decrease in visual acuity, cecocentral scotomas, and deficits in color vision.
- A simple and economical in-house phage technique for the rapid detection of rifampin, isoniazid, ethambutol, streptomycin, and ciprofloxacin drug resistance in Mycobacterium tuberculosis, directly on decontaminated sputum samplesNanda Hemvani
Department of Microbiology, Immunology and Molecular Biology, Intermediate Referral Laboratory for Mycobacteriology, Choithram Hospital and Research Centre, Manik Bagh Road, Indore, MP 452014, India
Int J Infect Dis 16:e332-6. 2012..of the present study was to set up a rapid phage assay for the testing of drug susceptibility of Mycobacterium tuberculosis to rifampin, isoniazid, ethambutol, streptomycin, and ciprofloxacin, directly on decontaminated sputum samples.
- Truncated structural variants of lipoarabinomannan in ethambutol drug-resistant strains of Mycobacterium smegmatis. Inhibition of arabinan biosynthesis by ethambutolK H Khoo
Department of Microbiology, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, Colorado 80523, USA
J Biol Chem 271:28682-90. 1996The anti-tuberculosis drug, ethambutol (Emb), was previously shown to inhibit the synthesis of arabinans of both the cell wall arabinogalactan (AG) and lipoarabinomannan (LAM) of Mycobacterium tuberculosis and other mycobacteria...
- Ethambutol toxicity manifesting as acute onset psychosisS J Martin
Canberra Sexual Health Centre, The Canberra Hospital, Canberra, ACT, Australia
Int J STD AIDS 18:287-8. 2007b>Ethambutol is commonly used for the treatment of tuberculous and atypical mycobacterial infection. Central nervous system (CNS) toxicity other than optic neuropathy is not widely reported...
- In vitro synergistic interactions of oleanolic acid in combination with isoniazid, rifampicin or ethambutol against Mycobacterium tuberculosisFa Ge
Key Laboratory of Zoonosis, Ministry of Education, Institute of Zoonosis, College of Animal Science and Veterinary Medicine, Jilin University, Changchun 130062, PR China
J Med Microbiol 59:567-72. 2010..The combination of OA with isoniazid (INH), rifampicin (RMP) or ethambutol (EMB) showed favourable synergistic antimycobacterial effects against six drug-resistant strains, with ..
- Determination of ethambutol MICs for Mycobacterium tuberculosis and Mycobacterium avium isolates by resazurin microtitre assayG P S Jadaun
Department of Microbiology and Molecular Biology, National JALMA Institute for Leprosy and Other Mycobacterial Diseases Indian Council of Medical Research, PO Box 1101, Dr M Miyazaki Marg, Tajganj, Agra 282001, India
J Antimicrob Chemother 60:152-5. 2007To test susceptibilities of Mycobacterium tuberculosis (MTB) isolates to ethambutol by the Löwenstein-Jensen (LJ) proportion method and resazurin microtitre assay (REMA) and to evaluate REMA for the determination of ethambutol MICs for ..
- Ethambutol resistance in Mycobacterium tuberculosis: critical role of embB mutationsS Sreevatsan
Department of Pathology, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 41:1677-81. 1997b>Ethambutol [(S,S')-2,2'-(ethylenediimino)di-1-butanol; EMB], is a first-line drug used to treat tuberculosis...
- A Pyrosequencing assay for rapid recognition of SNPs in Mycobacterium tuberculosis embB306 regionDaniela Isola
Dipartimento di Chirurgia e Scienze Odontostomatologiche, Universita di Cagliari, Cagliari, Italy
J Microbiol Methods 62:113-20. 2005b>Ethambutol (EMB) is in use worldwide as a first-line anti-tuberculosis drug and substitutions in codon 306 of the embB gene are the most common mutations found in EMB resistant Mycobacterium tuberculosis (MTB) strains...
- Gene expression analysis using a modified HiCEP method applicable to prokaryotes: a study of the response of Rhodococcus to isoniazid and ethambutolYasuo Mitani
Proteolysis and Protein Turnover Research Group, Research Institute of Genome Based Biofactory, National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology AIST, Tsukisamu Higashi, Sapporo 062 8517, Japan
J Biotechnol 123:259-72. 2006..This method could prove to be a useful technique for gene expression analysis of prokaryotes, particularly nonmodel strains with unknown genome sequences...
- Effects of AIDS and gender on steady-state plasma and intrapulmonary ethambutol concentrationsJ E Conte
Infectious Diseases Research Laboratory, Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, University of California San Francisco, 350 Parnassus Ave, San Francisco, CA 94117, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 45:2891-6. 2001Our objective was to study the steady-state plasma and intrapulmonary orally administered ethambutol concentrations in healthy volunteers and subjects with AIDS...
- Characteristics of embB mutations in multidrug-resistant Mycobacterium tuberculosis isolates in Henan, ChinaDawei Shi
State Key Laboratory for Molecular Virology and Genetic Engineering, Institute of Pathogen Biology, Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences and Peking Union Medical College, Beijing 100176, China
J Antimicrob Chemother 66:2240-7. 2011To determine the association between embB mutations and drug resistance, and to further investigate the mechanism of embB mutations involved in the development of ethambutol and multidrug resistance in Mycobacterium tuberculosis.
- Association between embB mutations and ethambutol resistance in Mycobacterium tuberculosis isolates from Cuba and the Dominican Republic: reproducible patterns and problemsElba Guerrero
Instituto Venezolano de Investigaciones Cientificas, Caracas, Venezuela
Rev Argent Microbiol 45:21-6. 2013The relation of ethambutol resistance to embB mutations remains unclear, and there are no reports on ethambutol resistance from the caribbean...
- GenoType MTBDRsl for molecular detection of second-line-drug and ethambutol resistance in Mycobacterium tuberculosis strains and clinical samplesA Lacoma
Servei de Microbiologiaa and Servei de Pneumologia, b Hospital Universitari Germans Trias i Pujol, Institut d Investigacio Germans Trias i Pujol, Universitat Autònoma deBarcelona, Badalona, Spain
J Clin Microbiol 50:30-6. 2012..to fluoroquinolones (FLQ), injectable second-line antibiotics [kanamycin (KM) and capreomycin (CM)], and ethambutol (EMB) in Mycobacterium tuberculosis clinical strains and directly in clinical samples...
- Mutations in the embB locus among Korean clinical isolates of Mycobacterium tuberculosis resistant to ethambutolHye Young Lee
Institute of Immunology and Immunological Diseases, Yonsei University College of Medicine, C P O Box 8044, Seoul 120 752, Korea
Yonsei Med J 43:59-64. 2002Resistance of Mycobacterium tuberculosis to ethambutol (EMB) has been assigned to an operon, embCAB, which has been proposed to be a structural gene for mycobacterial arabinosyl transferases...
- Tuberculosis ethambutol resistance: concordance between phenotypic and genotypic test resultsClaudia Plinke
Molecular Mycobacteriology, Research Center Borstel, Borstel, Germany
Tuberculosis (Edinb) 89:448-52. 2009embB306 mutations are potential markers for detecting ethambutol resistance in clinical Mycobacterium tuberculosis isolates...
- Correlation of the phenotypic ethambutol susceptibility of Mycobacterium tuberculosis with embB gene mutations in KoreaYoung Kil Park
Korean Institute of Tuberculosis, 482 Mansuri, Kangwoimyun, Cheongwongun, Chungbuk, Republic of Korea
J Med Microbiol 61:529-34. 2012The phenotypic resistance to ethambutol (EMB) in Mycobacterium tuberculosis with embB gene mutations is still unclear. This study was designed to better understand EMB resistance due to embB gene mutation...
- Evaluation of the GenoType® MTBDRsl assay for susceptibility testing of second-line anti-tuberculosis drugsH M Said
Department of Medical Microbiology, Faculty of Health Science, University of Pretoria, Pretoria, South Africa
Int J Tuberc Lung Dis 16:104-9. 2012..The GenoType® MTBDRsl assay is a new rapid assay for the detection of resistance to second-line anti-tuberculosis drugs...
- Performance assessment of the GenoType MTBDRsl test and DNA sequencing for detection of second-line and ethambutol drug resistance among patients infected with multidrug-resistant Mycobacterium tuberculosisWei Lun Huang
Reference Laboratory of Mycobacteriology, Research and Diagnostic Center, Centers for Disease Control, Taipei, Taiwan, Republic of China
J Clin Microbiol 49:2502-8. 2011The GenoType MTBDRsl test and DNA sequencing were used to rapidly detect second-line drug- and ethambutol (EMB)-resistant Mycobacterium tuberculosis...
- Blood agar for susceptibility testing of Mycobacterium tuberculosis against first-line drugsA Y Coban
Department of Microbiology and Clinical Microbiology, Ondokuz Mayis University Medical School, Samsun, Turkey
Int J Tuberc Lung Dis 10:450-3. 2006To evaluate the performance of blood agar for the susceptibility testing of 50 Mycobacterium tuberculosis clinical isolates against isoniazid (INH), rifampicin (RMP), streptomycin (SM) and ethambutol (EMB).
- Varying prevalence of embB codon 306 mutations in ethambutol-resistant clinical Mycobacterium tuberculosis isolates from Beirut and DubaiS Ahmad
Department of Microbiology, Kuwait University, Safat, Kuwait
J Chemother 20:285-7. 2008
- Design, synthesis, and evaluation of novel ethambutol analoguesRaghunandan Yendapally
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, The University of Tennessee Health Science Center, 847 Monroe Ave Rm327, Memphis, TN 38163, USA
Bioorg Med Chem Lett 18:1607-11. 2008b>Ethambutol is one of the front-line agents recommended by the World Health Organization for the treatment of tuberculosis...
- Pharmacoproteomic effects of isoniazid, ethambutol, and N-geranyl-N'-(2-adamantyl)ethane-1,2-diamine (SQ109) on Mycobacterium tuberculosis H37RvLee Jia
Developmental Therapeutics Program, National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health, Rockville, MD 20852, USA
J Pharmacol Exp Ther 315:905-11. 2005..alterations of the Mycobacterium tuberculosis H37Rv strain induced by antitubercular drugs isoniazid (INH), ethambutol (EMB), and SQ109 [N-geranyl-N'-(2-adamantyl)ethane-1,2-diamine, a novel 1,2-diamine-based EMB analog], providing ..
- [Susceptibility testing of Mycobacterium tuberculosis isolates to primary antituberculous drugs on chocolate agar: a preliminary study]Ahmet Yilmaz Coban
Ondokuz Mayis Universitesi Tip Fakultesi, Mikrobiyoloji ve Klinik Mikrobiyoloji Anabilim Dali, Samsun
Mikrobiyol Bul 42:477-81. 2008..testing of Mycobacterium tuberculosis strains against isoniazid (INH), rifampicin (RIF), streptomycin (STR) and ethambutol (ETM)...
- Efficacy of macrolides used in combination with ethambutol, with or without other drugs, against Mycobacterium avium within human macrophagesG F Schiavano
Institute of Hygiene, University of Urbino, 61029, Urbino, Italy
Int J Antimicrob Agents 18:525-30. 2001..Overall, clarithromycin-ethambutol-rifampicin was the most active combination tested...
- Role of embCAB gene mutations in ethambutol resistance in Mycobacterium tuberculosis isolates from IndiaG P S Jadaun
Department of Microbiology and Molecular Biology, National JALMA Institute for Leprosy and Other Mycobacterial Diseases, Indian Council of Medical Research, Dr M Miyazaki Marg, Tajganj, Agra 282001, India
Int J Antimicrob Agents 33:483-6. 2009In the present study, ethambutol (EMB) resistance-associated mutations were characterised in the embCAB genes of clinical isolates of Mycobacterium tuberculosis (MTB) collected in India...
- Detection of ethambutol-resistant Mycobacterium tuberculosis strains by multiplex allele-specific PCR assay targeting embB306 mutationsIgor Mokrousov
Laboratory of Molecular Microbiology, Pasteur Institute, 14, Mira Street, St Petersburg 197101, Russia
J Clin Microbiol 40:1617-20. 2002..These mutations are known to confer ethambutol (EMB) resistance in the majority of clinical Mycobacterium tuberculosis isolates worldwide...
- Ethambutol-mediated cell wall modification in recombinant Corynebacterium glutamicum increases the biotransformation rates of cyclohexanone derivativesJi Yeong Yun
Department of Food Science and Engineering, Ewha Womans University, Seoul, 120 750, Republic of Korea
Bioprocess Biosyst Eng 35:211-6. 2012..30% via altering the cell envelop structure of C. glutamicum with ethambutol, which inhibits arabinosyl transferases involved in the biosynthesis of cell wall arabinogalactan and mycolate ..
- Characterisation of rpsL, rrs and embB mutations associated with streptomycin and ethambutol resistance in Mycobacterium tuberculosisTatjana Tracevska
Laboratory of Molecular Microbiology, Biomedical Research and Study Centre, University of Latvia, Ratsupites 1, Riga LV 1067, Latvia
Res Microbiol 155:830-4. 2004..They were all resistant to rifampin (RIF), isoniazid (INH) and streptomycin (SM), and 33 were resistant to ethambutol (EMB)...
- jefA (Rv2459), a drug efflux gene in Mycobacterium tuberculosis confers resistance to isoniazid & ethambutolAnuj Kumar Gupta
Department of Microbiology and Molecular Biology, National JALMA Institute for Leprosy and Other Mycobacterial Diseases ICMR, Agra, India
Indian J Med Res 132:176-88. 2010..The objective of the present study was to investigate the role of this ORF as a drug efflux pump, which might add new information in our understanding about the alternative mechanisms of drug resistance in mycobacteria...
- The novel responses of ethambutol against Mycobacterium smegmatis mc²155 Revealed by proteomics analysisTao Jiang
Department of Biotechnology, Dalian Medical University, Dalian, 116044, China
Curr Microbiol 62:341-5. 2011b>Ethambutol (EMB), one of the effective anti-mycobacterial drugs, inhibits the biosynthesis of mycobacterium cell wall...
- Activity of a new class of isonicotinoylhydrazones used alone and in combination with isoniazid, rifampicin, ethambutol, para-aminosalicylic acid and clofazimine against Mycobacterium tuberculosisAlessandro De Logu
Sezione di Microbiologia e Virologia, Dipartimento di Scienze Chirurgiche e Trapianti d Organo, Universita di Cagliari, Viale Frà Ignazio 38, 09123 Cagliari, Italy
J Antimicrob Chemother 49:275-82. 2002..tuberculosis. Combinations of five isonicotinoylhydrazone derivatives and rifampicin, ethambutol, para-aminosalicylic acid, isoniazid and clofazimine were also investigated against M...
- Minor contribution of mutations at iniA codon 501 and embC-embA intergenic region in ethambutol-resistant clinical Mycobacterium tuberculosis isolates in KuwaitAl Anoud Jaber
Department of Microbiology, Faculty of Medicine, Kuwait University, Kuwait City, Kuwait
Ann Clin Microbiol Antimicrob 8:2. 2009b>Ethambutol (EMB) is a first-line drug for the treatment of tuberculosis (TB)...
- Multifocal electroretinogram demonstrated macular toxicity associated with ethambutol related optic neuropathyT Y Y Lai
Br J Ophthalmol 89:774-5. 2005
- Multifocal electroretinographic abnormalities in ethambutol-induced visual lossYao Liu
Neuro Ophthalmology Service, Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02114, USA
J Neuroophthalmol 28:278-82. 2008Two patients who developed decreased visual acuity after several months of ethambutol treatment for Mycobacterium avium-intracellulare infection had bitemporal visual field defects that suggested optic chiasm damage...
- Accumulation of KRM-1648 by Mycobacterium aurum and Mycobacterium tuberculosisL J Piddock
Antimicrobial Agents Research Group, Division of Immunity and Infection, The Medical School, University of Birmingham, Vincent Drive, Edgbaston, Birmingham B15 2TT, UK
J Antimicrob Chemother 45:681-4. 2000..5 mg/L. At pH 4 higher concentrations were accumulated than at pH 7. A sub-inhibitory concentration of ethambutol increased the concentration of KRM-1648 accumulated, but Tween 80 and reserpine had little or no effect.
- Ethambutol-induced optic neuropathy linked to OPA1 mutation and mitochondrial toxicityVirginie Guillet
INSERM, U694, Angers, F 49000, France
Mitochondrion 10:115-24. 2010b>Ethambutol (EMB), widely used in the treatment of tuberculosis, has been reported to cause Leber's hereditary optic neuropathy in patients carrying mitochondrial DNA mutations...
- The arabinosyltransferase EmbC is inhibited by ethambutol in Mycobacterium tuberculosisR Goude
Queen Mary University of London, Barts and the London School of Medicine and Dentistry, London, E1 2AT, United Kingdom
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 53:4138-46. 2009b>Ethambutol (EMB) is an antimycobacterial drug used extensively for the treatment of tuberculosis caused by Mycobacterium tuberculosis...
- Multicenter evaluation of ethambutol susceptibility testing of mycobacterium tuberculosis by agar proportion and radiometric methodsB Madison
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia 30347, USA
J Clin Microbiol 40:3976-9. 2002Reproducibility of ethambutol (EMB) susceptibility test results for Mycobacterium tuberculosis has always been difficult for a variety of reasons, including the narrow range between the critical breakpoint for EMB resistance and the MIC ..
- Early stage ethambutol optic neuropathy: retinal nerve fiber layer and optical coherence tomographyUngsoo Kim
Department of Ophthalmology, Konyang University College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
Eur J Ophthalmol 19:466-9. 2009To evaluate retinal nerve fiber layer (RNFL) thickness with optical coherence tomography (OCT) in early stage ethambutol optic neuropathy.
- Nucleotide polymorphism associated with ethambutol resistance in clinical isolates of Mycobacterium tuberculosisS Srivastava
Department of Microbiology, Sanjay Gandhi Postgraduate Institute of Medical Sciences, Lucknow, India
Curr Microbiol 53:401-5. 2006b>Ethambutol (EMB) is a first-line drug used for antitubercular therapy in combination with other drugs as recommended by World Health Organization DOTS/DOTS-Plus regimens...
- Leber's hereditary optic neuropathy precipitated by ethambutolAsako Ikeda
Department of Ophthalmology, Takarazuka City Hospital, Takarazuka, Japan
Jpn J Ophthalmol 50:280-3. 2006..However, two cases of LHON during ethambutol administration have been reported in older men and one case in an older woman...
- The effect of initial drug resistance on treatment response and acquired drug resistance during standardized short-course chemotherapy for tuberculosisKwonjune J Seung
Partners In Health, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Clin Infect Dis 39:1321-8. 2004..A retrospective analysis was done to determine the effect of initial drug resistance on treatment outcome and acquired drug resistance in new patients receiving standardized short-course chemotherapy...
- How drug resistance emerges as a result of poor compliance during short course chemotherapy for tuberculosisD A Mitchison
Department of Medical Microbiology, St George s Hospital Medical School, London, UK
Int J Tuberc Lung Dis 2:10-5. 1998..To explore mechanisms by which drug resistance might arise as a result of poor compliance during short course chemotherapy...
- Standard short-course chemotherapy for drug-resistant tuberculosis: treatment outcomes in 6 countriesM A Espinal
World Health Organization, Communicable Diseases Programme, Ave Appia 20, 1211 Geneva 27, Switzerland
JAMA 283:2537-45. 2000....
- High hepatotoxicity of pyrazinamide and ethambutol for treatment of latent tuberculosisA B Younossian
Centre antituberculeux, Hopital Cantonal Universitaire, 1211 Geneva 14, Switzerland
Eur Respir J 26:462-4. 2005Pyrazinamide (PZA) combined with either ethambutol (EMB) or a fluoroquinolone for 6-12 months is one of the treatments recommended for latent tuberculosis infection (LTBI) in contacts exposed to multidrug-resistant tuberculosis (MDR-TB)...
- Determinants of rifampin, isoniazid, pyrazinamide, and ethambutol pharmacokinetics in a cohort of tuberculosis patientsHelen McIlleron
Division of Clinical Pharmacology, University of Cape Town, and Brewelskloof Hospital, Worcester, South Africa
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 50:1170-7. 2006..Our objective was to describe the pharmacokinetics of rifampin, isoniazid, pyrazinamide, and ethambutol in a cohort of tuberculosis patients established on first-line treatment regimens and to evaluate the ..
- Ethambutol resistance testing by mutation detectionR Johnson
Medical Research Council Centre for Molecular and Cellular Biology Medical Biochemistry and Faculty of Health Sciences, Stellenbosch University, Tygerberg, South Africa
Int J Tuberc Lung Dis 10:68-73. 2006To identify chromosomal mutations that confer resistance to ethambutol (EMB) in Mycobacterium tuberculosis.
- Comparative evaluation of the nitrate reduction assay, the MTT test, and the resazurin microtitre assay for drug susceptibility testing of clinical isolates of Mycobacterium tuberculosisErnesto Montoro
Laboratorio Nacional de Referencia e Investigaciones en Tuberculosis y Mycobacteria, Instituto de Medicina Tropical Pedro Kouri, Havana, Cuba
J Antimicrob Chemother 55:500-5. 2005..To evaluate the performance of three rapid low-cost methods for the detection of resistance to first-line drugs in Mycobacterium tuberculosis...
- Ethambutol-associated optic neuropathySu Ann Lim
Department of Ophthalmology, Tan Tock Seng Hospital, Singapore
Ann Acad Med Singapore 35:274-8. 2006b>Ethambutol is used in the treatment of tuberculosis, which is still prevalent in Southeast Asia, and can be associated with permanent visual loss. We report 3 cases which presented with bitemporal hemianopia.
- Optical coherence tomography can measure axonal loss in patients with ethambutol-induced optic neuropathyChristopher I Zoumalan
Doheny Eye Institute and the Department of Ophthalmology, Keck School of Medicine, University of Southern California, 1355 San Pablo St, DVRC 311, Los Angeles, CA 90033, USA
Graefes Arch Clin Exp Ophthalmol 243:410-6. 2005To map and identify the pattern, in vivo, of axonal degeneration in ethambutol-induced optic neuropathy using optical coherence tomography (OCT). Ethambutol is an antimycobacterial agent often used to treat tuberculosis...
- Detection of embB306 mutations in ethambutol-susceptible clinical isolates of Mycobacterium tuberculosis from Northwestern Russia: implications for genotypic resistance testingIgor Mokrousov
Laboratory of Molecular Microbiology, St Petersburg Pasteur Institute, 197101 St Petersburg, Russia
J Clin Microbiol 40:3810-3. 2002..for alterations in codon 306 of the embB gene; mutations in this codon are reported to confer resistance to ethambutol (EMB). The embB306 mutations were detected in 14 (48...
- Role of embB codon 306 mutations in Mycobacterium tuberculosis revisited: a novel association with broad drug resistance and IS6110 clustering rather than ethambutol resistanceManzour Hernando Hazbón
Division of Infectious Disease, University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey, 185 South Orange Avenue, MSB A920C, Newark, NJ 07103, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 49:3794-802. 2005Mutations at position 306 of embB (embB306) have been proposed as a marker for ethambutol resistance in Mycobacterium tuberculosis; however, recent reports of embB306 mutations in ethambutol-susceptible isolates caused us to question the ..
- Mutations at embB codon 306 are an important molecular indicator of ethambutol resistance in Mycobacterium tuberculosisAngela M Starks
Division of Tuberculosis Elimination, National Center for HIV AIDS, Viral Hepatitis, STD, and TB Prevention, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia 30333, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 53:1061-6. 2009b>Ethambutol resistance in clinical Mycobacterium tuberculosis isolates is associated primarily with missense mutations in the embB gene...
- embCAB sequence variation among ethambutol-resistant Mycobacterium tuberculosis isolates without embB306 mutationClaudia Plinke
Molecular Mycobacteriology, Research Center Borstel, Borstel, Germany
J Antimicrob Chemother 65:1359-67. 2010Mechanisms of resistance to ethambutol in Mycobacterium tuberculosis remain inadequately described...
- Ethambutol neuroretinopathySetareh Vistamehr
Yale University School of Medicine, Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences, New Haven, CT 06520 8061, USA
Semin Ophthalmol 22:141-6. 2007To describe the clinical features of ethambutol neuroretinopathy.
- Leber's hereditary optic neuropathy mutations in ethambutol-induced optic neuropathyJeong Min Hwang
Department of Ophthalmology, Seoul Municipal Boramae Hospital, College of Medicine, Seoul National University, 395, Sindaebang 2 dong, Dongjak Ku, Seoul 156 707, Korea
J Neurol 250:87-9. 2003..the nt 11778 site in Leber's hereditary optic neuropathy (LHON) has been reported to be present in patients with ethambutol-induced optic neuropathy...
- Association between embB codon 306 mutations and drug resistance in Mycobacterium tuberculosisXin Shen
Key Laboratory of Medical Molecular Virology, Shanghai Medical College, Fudan University, Shanghai 20032, China
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 51:2618-20. 2007embB306 mutants were detected in both ethambutol (EMB)-resistant and EMB-susceptible strains of Mycobacterium tuberculosis. Multidrug-resistant (MDR) strains had a higher proportion of embB306 mutants than non-MDR strains (odds ratio, 6...
- Prospective evaluation of visual function for early detection of ethambutol toxicityV Menon
Dr R P Centre for Ophthalmic Sciences, AIIMS, New Delhi, India
Br J Ophthalmol 93:1251-4. 2009The aim of the study was to evaluate various visual parameters for early detection of ethambutol toxicity.
- Ethambutol-induced toxicity is mediated by zinc and lysosomal membrane permeabilization in cultured retinal cellsHyewon Chung
Department of Ophthalmology, Asan Medical Center, University of Ulsan, College of Medicine, 388 1 Pungnab dong, Songpa Gu, Seoul, 138 736, Republic of Korea
Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 235:163-70. 2009b>Ethambutol, an efficacious antituberculosis agent, can cause irreversible visual loss in a small but significant fraction of patients. However, the mechanism of ocular toxicity remains to be established...
- Simultaneous detection of isoniazid, rifampin, and ethambutol resistance of Mycobacterium tuberculosis by a single multiplex allele-specific polymerase chain reaction (PCR) assayZhenhua Yang
Department of Epidemiology, School of Public Health, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, 48109 2029, USA
Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis 53:201-8. 2005..polymerase chain reaction (MAS-PCR) that detects the most commonly observed isoniazid (INH), rifampin (RIF), and ethambutol resistance-associated mutations in a single assay...
- Ethambutol-induced vacuolar changes and neuronal loss in rat retinal cell culture: mediation by endogenous zincY H Yoon
Department of Ophthalmology, University of Ulsan College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 162:107-14. 2000b>Ethambutol is an efficacious antituberculosis agent. However, its use has been limited by the occurrence of ocular toxicity...
- Ocular ethambutol toxicityAlex Melamud
Cole Eye Institute, The Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, Ohio 44195, USA
Mayo Clin Proc 78:1409-11. 2003b>Ethambutol is an antimicrobial agent used frequently to treat tuberculosis. The most commonly recognized toxic effect of ethambutol is optic neuropathy, which generally is considered uncommon and reversible in medical literature...
- Best catch from NANOSNETWayne T Cornblath
J Neuroophthalmol 22:123-8. 2002
- Novel Spectinamide Antibiotics for the Treatment of MDR/XDR TuberculosisMichelle M Butler; Fiscal Year: 2013..Treatment options for MDR/XDR TB include the two remaining first- line agents, ethambutol and pyrazinamide, second-line agents to which the strain is not resistant, such as streptomycin, as well as ..
- In vitro and in vivo efficacy of liposomal ciprofloxacin formulations against MycIgor Gonda; Fiscal Year: 2013..concentrations of CFI and DRCFI in the macrophage test system: a) alone and in combination with clarithromycin, ethambutol, and amikacin against 3 clinical isolates of M...
- Investigation of synergy between Rifampin and SQ109, a new anti-TB drug candidateVENKATA REDDY; Fiscal Year: 2009..reduce the time by at least 25% to achieve the same level of CFU as the standard drug regimen, RIF + INH + PZA + ethambutol (EMB) in a mouse model of TB...
- Novel mycobacterial translocase I inhibitors - a new class of anti-TB drugsVenkata M Reddy; Fiscal Year: 2010..of drug resistant mutants in vitro and has marked synergistic activity in vitro with several antituberculars: Ethambutol (EMB), streptomycin, and the new Sequella drug, SQ109...
- Folate Metabolism in Mycobacterium tuberculosis Revisited: A Potential Drug TargeLiem Duy Nguyen; Fiscal Year: 2013..not only to antifolate drugs but also other antibiotics, including frontline TB drugs such as rifampicin and ethambutol. This is due to a direct effect on de novo folate biosynthesis and an indirect effect by altering cell wall ..
- The Role of Lipoarabinomannan in Mycobacterium tuberculosisTanya Parish; Fiscal Year: 2010..will determine what effect changes in LAM production have on resistance to a wide range of compounds including ethambutol, DNA damaging agents and reactive oxygen and nitrogen species. A lack of EmbC is lethal in M...
- TB Diagnostics at the Point of CareCHRISTOPHER GERARD COONEY; Fiscal Year: 2013..and rapid point-of-care (POC) test that detects TB and its resistance to first-line drugs (isoniazid, rifampin, ethambutol,and pyrazinamide) would improve TB diagnostics for these minority communities...
- Pharmacokinetics of Anti-tuberculosis and Antiretroviral Drugs in ChildrenAWEWURA JACOB KWARA; Fiscal Year: 2013..Aim 1 will determine whether the WHO recommended increased dosages of isoniazid, rifampin, pyrazinamide and ethambutol administered to African children with active TB infection (with or without HIV co- infection) achieve adult-..
- A rapid molecular approach to determine PZA susceptibilityBARRY NEAL KREISWIRTH; Fiscal Year: 2013..The current TB treatment regimen for TB is 2 months of rifampin, isoniazid, ethambutol and pyrazinamide (PZA), followed by 4 months of rifampin and isoniazid...
- Optimal dosing of 1st line antituberculosis and antiretroviral drugs in childrenHelen McIlleron; Fiscal Year: 2013..Recent studies suggest that first line anti-TB drugs (isoniazid, rifampin, ethambutol and pyrazinamide) are often under-dosed in adults, especially with HIV, and children...
- Evaluation of a highly-informative LATE-PCR single-tube assay for M(X)DR-TBRobin Mark Warren; Fiscal Year: 2013..allows for the simultaneous, closed-tube detection of mutations conferring resistance to isoniazid, rifampin, ethambutol, fluorquinolones and aminoglucosides, and mycobacterial species causing disease...
- Discovery of novel agents against M. tuberculosis.ESTEBAN EDWARD MENA; Fiscal Year: 2010..and relies on two months of intensive, directly observed therapy with isoniazid, rifampicin, pyrazinamide, and ethambutol followed by a minimum of four months of isoniazid and rifampicin...
- Nanoparticle delivery system for antiturberculosis drugLeonid Heifets; Fiscal Year: 2004..5-7 fold. Dr. Geuelperina at RDCMDT has already begun encapsulation of ethambutol, pyrazinamide, capreomycin, amikacin, kanamycin, ethionamide, levofloxacin, cycloserine, moxifloxacin, ..
- M. AVIUM DISEASE--INHALED LIPOSOME ANTI-TB DRUG THERAPYHans Schreier; Fiscal Year: 1992..macrophages (AM) and is relatively resistant in vitro to anti-tuberculous drugs such as isoniazid, rifampin, and ethambutol in concentrations currently employed...
- PRECLINICAL DEVELOPMENT OF NEW ANTITUBERCULOSIS REGIMENLeonid Heifets; Fiscal Year: 2000..Regimens targeted against MDR-TB will include substitutes for isoniazid, rifampin, pyrazinamide, streptomycin,ethambutol, developed under this program or already available (for example, some quinolones and aminosidine)...
- Target for Mefloquine in MycobacteriaLuiz Bermudez; Fiscal Year: 2002..Furthermore, mefloquine is active against M. avium strain resistant to macrolides, quinolones, isoniazid, ethambutol and rifampin, suggesting a novel mechanism of action...
- Cell Wall Biogenesis-Target for new Anti-TB drugsMichael McNeil; Fiscal Year: 2006..We will test M. tuberculosis for increased arabinase activity after exposure to novel highly active ethambutol like compounds (the presence of endogenous arabinase was first recognized during ethambutol treatment)...
- Phase II Study of Daily Rifapentine for Pulmonary Tuberculosis (IND 62,611;1/2/0Susan E Dorman; Fiscal Year: 2012..and safety of rifapentine doses of 450 mg and 600 mg administered once daily with isoniazid, pyrazinamide, and ethambutol during intensive phase (first eight weeks) treatment of smear-positive pulmonary TB in Cape Town, South Africa.
- INNOVATIVE APPROACHES TO TUBERCULOSIS CONTROLRichard Chaisson; Fiscal Year: 2009..We will randomize 526 patients with pulmonary TB to receive Moxi/rifampin/PZA/ethambutol for 4 months vs. a control regimen of INH/RIF/PZA/EMB for 6 months...
- Rapid Susceptibility Testing of MDR M. tuberculosis- Phase IIMYRON SASSER; Fiscal Year: 2007..loss of mycolic acids, in susceptible strains, with as little as 20 minutes exposure to the inhibitor, rifampin, ethambutol and pyrazinamide may require up to 72 h for optimal determination...
- Rapid Detection of Mycobacterium tuberculosisSusan Dorman; Fiscal Year: 2007..overall objectives of this K23 proposal are 1) to optimize the MODS assay for drug susceptibility testing for ethambutol, streptomycin, and pyrazinamide; 2) to determine the performance characteristics of MODS for detection of MTB ..
- CHARACTERIZATION OF MYCOBACTERIAL AUTOLYSINSLINGYI DENG; Fiscal Year: 2001..have (i) prepared a mycobacterial cell lysate that hydrolyzed the cell wall polysaccharide; (ii) observed that ethambutol treated mycobacteria have increased cell wall hydrolysis; and (iii) identified an open reading frame (ORF) in ..
- DEVELOPMENT OF NOVEL PHARMACOPHORE WITH ANTI-TB ACTIVITYZe Qi Xu; Fiscal Year: 2001..it was active against Mycobacterium tuberculosis strains resistant to isoniazid, rifampin, streptomycin, and ethambutol, respectively...
- MALABSORPTION OF ANTITUBERCULOUS DRUGS IN BOTSWANAPhilip Hopewell; Fiscal Year: 1999..microbiologic, and laboratory data, including HIV serologies and serum for isoniazid (H), rifampin (R), ethambutol (E), and pyrazinamide (P) concentrations will be obtained...
- SECOND GENERATION ANTIBIOTICS FROM ETHAMBUTOLMarina Protopopova; Fiscal Year: 2000b>Ethambutol (EMB) was developed at Lederle Laboratories in the late 1 950s from a collection of about 2000 mostly symmetrical diamines...
- MOLECULAR GENETIC ANALYSIS OF MYCOBACTERIUM TUBERCULOSISWilliam Jacobs; Fiscal Year: 2003..systems have allowed them to identify the, previously unknown, targets of the drugs isoniazid, ethionamide, and ethambutol. They have also established a molecular basis for the attenuation of an M...
- SECOND GENERATION ANTIBIOTICS FROM ETHAMBUTOLMarina Protopopova; Fiscal Year: 2000b>Ethambutol (EMB) was developed at Lederle Laboratories in the late 1950s from a collection of about 2000 mostly symmetrical diamines...
- High throughput TB drug screensCarol Nacy; Fiscal Year: 2003..screening assay succeeded in synthesizing and screening approximately 100,000 analogues of the TB drug ethambutol in a very short period of time...
- GENE-BASED AND BACTERIA HIGH THROUGHOUT TB DRUG SCREENCarol Nacy; Fiscal Year: 2000..screening assay succeeded in synthesizing and screening approximately 100,000 analogues of the TB drug ethambutol in a very short period of time...
- STRUCTURE OF LAM IN RELATION TO BIOLOGY AND BIOSYNTHESISDelphi Chatterjee; Fiscal Year: 2002..tuberculosis, is known to be a target of some of the most effective antimycobacterial drugs including ethambutol which has been known to inhibit the biosynthesis of arabinan of the cell wall proper and associated ..
- DRUG TARGETING M. TUBERCULOSIS ARABINOSYL TRANSFERASESRichard Lee; Fiscal Year: 2001..tuberculosis and the effects of the front line drug ethambutol on the important mycoloylarabinogalactan (MAG) biosynthetic cascade...
- M AVIUM WALL STRUCTURES FROM AIDS PATIENTSDelphi Chatterjee; Fiscal Year: 1999..Identification of truncated structural variants of LAM in ethambutol drug-resistant strains of mycobacteria has provided the PI with model compounds for both structural and ..
- Towards drugs that prevent resistance to the HIV OI, TBDavid Alland; Fiscal Year: 2006..We hypothesize that the drug ethambutol (EMB) normally acts synergistically with other antibiotics to prevent the emergence of drug resistance, and that ..
- BCG + hsp, a New Tuberculosis VaccineBoris Nikonenko; Fiscal Year: 2003..We will also examine the antibiotic sensitivity of this rBCGdeltahspR to 10 commonly used TB drugs to ensure that the genetic manipulations performed have not made it less sensitive to drug treatment. ..
- DENVER COMMUNITY PROGRAM FOR CLINICAL RESEARCH ON AIDS (David Cohn; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Post Translation Regulation in MycobacteriaLuiz Bermudez; Fiscal Year: 2008..In case we confirm our hypothesis, future work will address the role of Ion in M. tuberculosis [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Investigation of the role of bacteria in the sarcoidosis trimolecular complexWonder Drake; Fiscal Year: 2009..abstract_text> ..
- Mouse Strain dependent innate resistance to intestinal amebiasisEric Houpt; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- IRON REGULATION & VIRULENCE--MYCOBACTERIUM TUBERCULOSISYUKARI MANABE; Fiscal Year: 2003..Elucidation of this iron-dependent IdeR regulon may lead to the identification of virulence determinants, and novel antigens for vaccines and therapeutics. ..
- GLYCOSYLTRANSFERASES AS DRUG TARGETS IN MYCOBACTERIARobert Reynolds; Fiscal Year: 2002..These compounds will be screened in vitro using a broth dilution assay and cell-free assay transferase. Selected active compounds will be screened in vitro and in vivo in a macrophage assay and a murine TB model, respectively. ..
- Role of mycobacteria in sarcoidosis immunopathogenesisWonder Drake; Fiscal Year: 2009..These findings, which will assess in an independent and complementary fashion the role of mycobacteria in sarcoidosis immunopathogenesis, may have an impact on future therapeutic modalities for sarcoidosis. ..
- Diagnosis of Extra-Pulmonary Tuberculosis in HIV PatientsRonald Rieder; Fiscal Year: 2008..The impact of this is the improved ability to control the disease and fewer untreated patients returning to the general population to infect others and spread the disease. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Targeted DNA extraction for Tuberculosis PCR from sputumEric Houpt; Fiscal Year: 2007..The most sensitive procedure will be taken in Phase II and adapted to high-throughput DNA extraction platforms and compared against the standard E- MTD assay. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Virulence Related Genetic Variation of M. TB StrainsZhenhua Yang; Fiscal Year: 2005..By combining epidemiological information with molecular genetics, we are conducting a focused search for genes associated with transmission and pathogenesis. ..
- HETEROSEXUAL TRANSMISSION OF HHV 8 IN KENYAKing Holmes; Fiscal Year: 2005..A better understanding of heterosexual transmission of HHV-8 is essential for the development of interventions strategies to prevent HHV-8 infection and associated malignancy. ..
- Rapid Detection of Bacterial Contamination in PlateletsRonald Rieder; Fiscal Year: 2005..Feasibility of the diagnostic tool will be demonstrated with several of the clinically significant bacterial strains which are often implicated in transfusion-related sepsis. ..
- Novel Single Cell Reporter Gene AssayYevgenya Akselband; Fiscal Year: 2005..This assay will facilitate drug discovery by permitting rapid screening of combinatorial chemistry or natural product libraries. ..
- Virulence genes identification in Francisella tularensisVincent Escuyer; Fiscal Year: 2004..tularensis and a better understanding of the pathogenicity of this microorganism. Some of the virulence genes will be used as potential targets for new approaches in drug design and vaccine development. ..
- Dipiperidines as a new class of anti-TB drugMarina Protopopova; Fiscal Year: 2004..ago, Sequella received a Challenge grant to synthesize and characterize combinatorial libraries of analogues to ethambutol, an existing front-line tuberculosis drug...
- Inhibitor of FtsZ Polymerization in M. tuberculosisRobert Reynolds; Fiscal Year: 2004..Data from the biological screening and the EM structural studies will feed back into compound design in an interactive, iterative drug design cycle that critically focuses on antibacterial potency and selectivity. ..
- Rapid Antibiotic Susceptibility TestingRonald Rieder; Fiscal Year: 2003..A Phase II effort will be focused on the development of a prototype instrumentation and clinical testing of multi-drug resistant strains of M. tuberculosis. ..
- Genotypes of Helicobacter Pylori in West AfricaRichard Adegbola; Fiscal Year: 2005..pylori colonization in West Africa differ from those seen in industrialized nations, and enable the development of appropriate treatment strategies for communities such as The Gambia. ..
- Alternative endpoints for plague challenge modelsRichard Frothingham; Fiscal Year: 2005..We will use the data generated to refine our hypotheses and to pursue further funding to complete Aim 3. ..
- Multiplex bead-PCR diagnosis for AIDS diarrheaEric Houpt; Fiscal Year: 2007..Finally, syndrome-based multiplex diagnosis is the platform of the future for clinical microbiology, and if this assay works on stool it should work on sputum, blood, or spinal fluid. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Structure Function Analysis of TB PyrazinamidaseYing Zhang; Fiscal Year: 2005..These studies will provide important information about mechanisms of PZA action and resistance and may help design new antituberculosis drugs. ..
- Moving a new anti-tubercular drug candidate SQ109 into clinical trialsMarina Protopopova; Fiscal Year: 2006..tuberculosis, and is suitable to replace the first-line drug ethambutol during the intensive phase of the WHO-recommended Directly Observed Therapy (DOT) drug regimen...
- Real-time PCR diagnostic kit for Giardia and CryptosporidiumEric Houpt; Fiscal Year: 2006..A Phase II application is anticipated to validate the final diagnostic test product against immunoassay for an FDA 501 (k) medical device application. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Rapid Diagnostic Testing of Urinary Tract InfectionsRonald Rieder; Fiscal Year: 2006..A follow-on effort will focus on the development of prototype instrumentation and testing of other clinically relevant multi-drug resistant organisms. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Duke University Center for Translational ResearchRichard Frothingham; Fiscal Year: 2006....
- LATENCY AND REACTIVATION TUBERCULOSISYUKARI MANABE; Fiscal Year: 2006..Appropriate animal models are critical to the successful development of tuberculosis vaccines, new drugs and better diagnostic tests for tuberculosis. ..
- Crystallization of the Galactosyltransferase from MtbRobert Reynolds; Fiscal Year: 2002..This effort, however, is innovative in the choice of target and the impact that structural biology can have on our funded program. ..
- MYCOBACTERIAL ENVIRONMENT WITHIN MACROPHAGESLuiz Bermudez; Fiscal Year: 2003..We believe that the proposed studies will generate important information about the phagosome environment and the mycobacterial response to it. ..