Genomes and Genes
Summary: Biogenic amines having more than one amine group. These are long-chain aliphatic compounds that contain multiple amino and/or imino groups. Because of the linear arrangement of positive charge on these molecules, polyamines bind electrostatically to ribosomes, DNA, and RNA.
Publications176 found, 100 shown here
- X-linked spermine synthase gene (SMS) defect: the first polyamine deficiency syndromeA Lauren Cason
1J C Self Research Institute, Greenwood Genetic Center, 1 Gregor Mendel Circle, Greenwood, SC 29646, USA
Eur J Hum Genet 11:937-44. 2003..Additionally, the presence of MR reflects a role for spermine in cognitive function, possibly by spermine's ability to function as an 'intrinsic gateway' molecule for inward rectifier K(+) channels...
- Probing tRNA interaction with biogenic polyaminesAmin Ahmed Ouameur
Department of Chemistry Biology, University of Quebec at Trois Rivieres, Trois Rivieres, Quebec, Canada
RNA 16:1968-79. 2010b>Biogenic polyamines are found to modulate protein synthesis at different levels. This effect may be explained by the ability of polyamines to bind and influence the secondary structure of tRNA, mRNA, and rRNA...
- A novel polyamine analog (SL-11093) inhibits growth of human prostate tumor xenografts in nude miceBenjamin Frydman
SLIL Biomedical Corporation, Suite C, 535 Science Dr, Madison, WI 53711 1066, USA
Cancer Chemother Pharmacol 51:488-92. 2003..We tested the polyamine analog SL-11093 (3,8,13,18-tetraaza-10,11-[(E)-1,2-cyclopropyl]eicosane tetrahydrochloride) as an effective chemotherapeutic agent against human prostate cancer grown in nude mice...
- Polyamine transport in parasites: a potential target for new antiparasitic drug developmentRosa María Reguera
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology INTOXCAL, University of Leon, Campus de Vegazana s n 24071 León, Spain
Comp Biochem Physiol C Toxicol Pharmacol 140:151-64. 2005....
- The ability of cystamine to bind DNAP Allegra
Dipartimento di Medicina e Oncologia Sperimentale, Sezione di Biochimica, Universita degli Studi di Torino, Torino, Italy
Amino Acids 22:155-66. 2002..The ability of cystamine to bind DNA, as shown also by its DNA radioprotective capability, might be important in chromatin condensation and stabilization, and might be a cause of the antiviral activity observed by some authors...
- Interaction of tRNA with antitumor polyamine analoguesC N N'soukpoé-Kossi
Departement de Chimie Biologie, Universite du Quebec a Trois Rivieres, C P 500, Trois Rivieres, QC G9A 5H7, Canada
Biochem Cell Biol 87:621-30. 2009..guanine N7, adenine, uracil O2, and the backbone phosphate (PO2-) groups, while the most reactive sites for biogenic polyamines were guanine N7/O6, adenine N7, uracil O2, and sugar 2'-OH groups as well as the backbone phosphate group...
- Regulation of cellular polyamines by antizymeP Coffino
Department of Microbiology and Immunology and Department of Medicine, University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, California 94143 0414, USA
Nat Rev Mol Cell Biol 2:188-94. 2001..Why does ornithine decarboxylase have its own dedicated destruction mechanism, how does it work, and is it the only protein to be targeted to the proteasome in this way?..
- Biogenic and synthetic polyamines bind bovine serum albuminS Dubeau
Departement de Chimie Biologie, Universite du Quebec a Trois Rivieres, C P 500, Trois Rivieres, Quebec, G9A 5H7, Canada
Biomacromolecules 11:1507-15. 2010b>Biogenic polyamines are found to modulate protein synthesis at different levels, while polyamine analogues have shown major antitumor activity in multiple experimental models, including breast cancer...
- Structural analysis of DNA interactions with biogenic polyamines and cobalt(III)hexamine studied by Fourier transform infrared and capillary electrophoresisAmin Ahmed Ouameur
Department of Chemistry Biology, University of Quebec at Trois Rivieres, C P 500, Trois Rivieres, Quebec G9A 5H7, Canada
J Biol Chem 279:42041-54. 2004b>Biogenic polyamines, such as putrescine, spermidine, and spermine are small organic polycations involved in numerous diverse biological processes...
- Effects of inhibitors of spermidine synthase and spermine synthase on polyamine synthesis in rat tissuesA Shirahata
Department of Analytical Chemistry, Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Josai University, Saitama, Japan
Biochem Pharmacol 45:1897-903. 1993..These results suggested a separate role for spermidine or spermine in the in vivo enhancement of S-adenosylmethionine decarboxylase activity...
- Interaction mechanisms between polyamines and IRK1 inward rectifier K+ channelsDonglin Guo
University of Pennsylvania, Department of Physiology D302A Richards Building, 3700 Hamilton Walk, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
J Gen Physiol 122:485-500. 2003..Thus, nature has optimized not only the blocker but also, in a complementary manner, the channel for producing rapid, high-affinity, and strongly voltage-dependent channel block, giving rise to exceedingly sharp rectification...
- Autoregulatory frameshifting in decoding mammalian ornithine decarboxylase antizymeS Matsufuji
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, University of Utah, Salt Lake City 84112
Cell 80:51-60. 1995..The shift site sequence, UCC-UGA-U, is not similar to other known frameshift sites. The mechanism does not seem to involve re-pairing of peptidyl-tRNA in the new frame but rather reading or occlusion of a fourth base...
- Cloning and characterization of the mouse polyamine-modulated factor-1 (mPMF-1) gene: an alternatively spliced homologue of the human transcription factorY Wang
The Johns Hopkins Oncology Center, Bunting Blaustein Cancer Research Building, Room 551, 1650 Orleans Street, Baltimore, MD 21231, USA
Biochem J 359:387-92. 2001..Finally, the expression of mPMF-1 is induced when mouse M1 myeloid leukaemia cells are exposed to polyamine analogues, suggesting control similar to that observed for the hPMF-1...
- Transcriptional effects of polyamines on ribosomal proteins and on polyamine-synthesizing enzymes in Escherichia coliS C Huang
Department of Pharmacology, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT 06510
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 87:3464-8. 1990..It is evident that polyamines can exert both positive and negative regulation of gene expression in E. coli that can be differentiated from the effects caused by changes in growth rates...
- Acrolein produced from polyamines as one of the uraemic toxinsK Sakata
Graduate School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Chiba University, 1 33 Yayoi cho, Inage Ku, Chiba 263 8522, Japan
Biochem Soc Trans 31:371-4. 2003..These results suggest that acrolein is produced during the early stage of nephritis through kidney damage and also during uraemia through accumulation of polyamines in blood due to the decrease in their excretion into urine...
- [Effects of polyamine-loaded liposomes on liver mitochondrial permeability transition]M Costuleanu
Facultatea de Medicină Stomatologică, Universitatea de Medicină si Farmacie Gr T Popa Iaşi
Rev Med Chir Soc Med Nat Iasi 106:83-8. 2002..The increase in membrane rigidity through the use of 40% cholesterol-enriched liposomes is drastically decreasing the appearance and development of MPT...
- Reinvigoration of Pinus radiata is associated with partial recovery of juvenile-like polyamine concentrationsMario F Fraga
Lab Fisiologia Vegetal, Dpto Biología de Organismos y Sistemas, Universidad de Oviedo, C Catedrático Rodrigo Uría s n, E 33071 Oviedo, Spain
Tree Physiol 23:205-9. 2003..We conclude that certain polyamines defined as reinvigoration markers can be used in forestry upgrading programs to assess the morphogenic ability of reinvigorated trees...
- Polyamines reduce paraquat-induced soxS and its regulon expression in Escherichia coliI L Jung
Department of Radiation Biology, Environmental Radiation Research Group, Korea Atomic Energy Research Institute, Yusong Taejon, Korea
Cell Biol Toxicol 19:29-41. 2003..In conclusion, polyamines protect against paraquat-induced toxicity but downregulate soxS expression, suggesting that the protective role of polyamines against oxidative damage induced by paraquat results in soxS downregulation...
- Polyamine transport, accumulation, and release in brainTakashi Masuko
Graduate School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Chiba University, Chiba, Japan
J Neurochem 84:610-7. 2003..Spermine was found to be accumulated in synaptic vesicles and was released from rat hippocampal slices by depolarization using a high concentration of KCl. Polyamines, in particular spermine, may function as neuromodulators in the brain...
- Role of polyamines derived from arginine in differentiation and proliferation of human blood cellsTomoji Maeda
Department of Molecular Biopharmaceutics, Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Tokyo University of Science, 2641 Yamasaki, Noda, Chiba 278 8510, Japan
Biol Pharm Bull 29:234-9. 2006....
- Analysis of the interactions of Nrf-2, PMF-1, and CSN-7 with the 5'-flanking sequence of the mouse 4E-BP1 geneA H Stephenson
Department of Physiology, Brody School of Medicine, East Carolina University, Greenville, NC 27858, USA
Life Sci 79:1221-7. 2006..Since polyamines increase expression of the 4E-BP1 gene, it seems likely that formation of this complex is involved in its transcriptional regulation...
- Cerebral distribution of polyamines in kainic acid-induced models of status epilepticus and ataxia in rats. Overproduction of putrescine and histological damageNuria de Vera
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Institut d Investigacions Biomediques de Barcelona IIBB CSIC, IDIBAPS, Barcelona, Spain
Eur Neuropsychopharmacol 12:397-405. 2002..In conclusion, in the models studied, putrescine increases in all the regions analyzed. However, the highest concentrations and the most severe damage were found in the target regions...
- Effect of polyamine depletion on cone photoreceptors of the developing rabbit retinaCatherine Withrow
Department of Ophthalmology, University of Tennessee Memphis College of Medicine, Memphis, Tennessee 38163, USA
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 43:3081-90. 2002..To measure the concentrations of polyamines, determine their cellular and subcellular localization, and analyze effects of their depletion in developing rabbit retina...
- The polyamine binding site in inward rectifier K+ channelsHarley T Kurata
Department of Cell Biology and Physiology, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
J Gen Physiol 127:467-80. 2006..These data provide physical constraints on the spermine binding site, demonstrating that spermine stably binds at a deep site beyond the "rectification controller" residue, near the extracellular entrance to the channel...
- Collagen sandwich culture affects intracellular polyamine levels of human hepatocytesT S Weiss
Center for Liver Cell Research, University of Regensburg Hospital, Regensburg, Germany
Cell Prolif 35:257-67. 2002..Our results suggest that polyamine levels, in particular putrescine, might be important regulators of hepatocyte specific function in vitro and therefore serve as a marker of differentiation for cultivated human hepatocytes...
- Moderate folate deficiency influences polyamine synthesis in ratsDongmei Sun
Division of Nutrition and Dietetics, College of Pharmacy and Nutrition, University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon, SK, Canada S7N 5C9
J Nutr 132:2632-7. 2002..Further study is necessary to clarify interactions between folate and polyamine metabolism and to determine whether polyamines are involved in the damaging effects of folate deficiency...
- Effects of aminooxy analogues of biogenic polyamines on aggregation and stability of calf thymus DNAF J Ramírez
Department of Physical Chemistry, University of Malaga, Malaga 29071, Spain
Biopolymers 65:148-57. 2002The effect of a series of aminooxy analogues of the biogenic polyamines spermidine and spermine on the conformation of calf thymus DNA is studied...
- Polyamines as olfactory stimuli in the goldfish Carassius auratusS H Rolen
Department of Biological Sciences, Louisiana State University, Life Sciences Building Room 202, Baton Rouge, LA 70830, USA
J Exp Biol 206:1683-96. 2003..Behavioral assays indicated that polyamines are attractants that elicit feeding behavior similar to that elicited by L-amino acids...
- Polyamines reduces lipid peroxidation induced by different pro-oxidant agentsNádia Aléssio Velloso Bellé
Departamento de Quimica, Centro de Ciencias Naturais e Exatas, Universidade Federal de Santa Maria, Campus UFSM, Santa Maria, RS 97105 900, Brazil
Brain Res 1008:245-51. 2004..The present findings suggest that the observed effects of polyamines are not related to the activation of NMDA receptor but with their antioxidant and free radical scavenger properties...
- Expression of an antisense Datura stramonium S-adenosylmethionine decarboxylase cDNA in tobacco: changes in enzyme activity, putrescine-spermidine ratio, rhizogenic potential, and response to methyl jasmonatePatrizia Torrigiani
Dipartimento di Biologia E S, University of Bologna, Via Irnerio 42, 40126 Bologna, Italy
J Plant Physiol 162:559-71. 2005..The effects of SAMDC manipulation are discussed in relation to plant generation, culture conditions and response to stress...
- Maintained regulation of polyamines in spinal cord from patients with amyotrophic lateral sclerosisTitti Ekegren
Department of Neuroscience, Neurology, University Hospital, Uppsala SE 751 85, Sweden
J Neurol Sci 222:49-53. 2004..05). The female ALS group also presented significantly higher levels of spermidine in comparison with female controls (p<0.05)...
- Changes in polyamine concentration associated with aging in Pinus radiata and Prunus persicaMario F Fraga
Lab Fisiologia Vegetal, Dpto Biología de Organismos y Sistemas, Universidad de Oviedo, C Catedrático Rodrigo Uría s n, E 33071 Oviedo, Spain
Tree Physiol 24:1221-6. 2004..Free putrescine concentration decreased with age in both species...
- [Relationship between floral differentiation and endogenous hormones and polyamines contents in cucumber cotyledonary nodes cultured in vitro]Li Lin Wang
College of Life Sciences, Zhejiang University, School of Life Sciences, Hangzhou Normal College, Hangzhou 310036
Shi Yan Sheng Wu Xue Bao 36:347-52. 2003....
- Peach (Prunus persica L.) fruit growth and ripening: transcript levels and activity of polyamine biosynthetic enzymes in the mesocarpVanina Ziosi
Dipartimento di Biologia E S, University of Bologna, Via Irnerio 42, I 40126 Bologna, Italy
J Plant Physiol 160:1109-15. 2003..Both exhibited maximum levels in S1 and a smaller peak in S3. The behaviour of the polyamine biosynthetic machinery is discussed in relation to the different cell growth rates occurring during fruit development...
- Ornithine decarboxylase activity is inhibited by the polyamine precursor amino acids at the protein stability level in Caco-2 cellsHervé Chabanon
Centre de Recherche en Nutrition Humaine d Auvergne, Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, Theix, 63122 Saint Genes Champanelle, France
Biochim Biophys Acta 1723:74-81. 2005..Thus, depending on their nature, amino acids can up- or downregulate ODC activity at the protein stability level...
- Kinetic evaluation of polyamines as radical scavengersSeiichiro Fujisawa
Department of Oral Diagnosis, Meikai University School of Dentistry, Sakado, Saitama 350 0283, Japan
Anticancer Res 25:965-9. 2005..Polyamines may scavenge alkyl or peroxy radicals derived from polyunsaturated fatty acids in biological systems...
- Thirty years of polyamine-related approaches to cancer therapy. Retrospect and prospect. Part 1. Selective enzyme inhibitorsNikolaus Seiler
Laboratory of Nutritional Oncology, INSERM U 392, Institut de Recherche contre les Cancers de l Appareil Digestif, 1, Place de l Hopital, B P 426, 67091 Strasbourg, France
Curr Drug Targets 4:537-64. 2003..These approaches are the topic of the 2nd part of this overview...
- Onset of DNA aggregation in presence of monovalent and multivalent counterionsYoram Burak
School of Physics and Astronomy, Raymond and Beverly Sackler Faculty of Exact Sciences, Tel Aviv University, Tel Aviv 69978, Israel
Biophys J 85:2100-10. 2003....
- Polyamines inhibit both platelet aggregation and glycoprotein IIb/IIIa activationNorma Corona-de-la-Peña
Unidad de Investigacion Medica en Trombosis, Hemostasia y Aterogenesis, Hospital General Regional Gabriel Mancera, Instituto Mexicano del Seguro Social IMSS, Mexico City, Mexico
J Cardiovasc Pharmacol 46:216-21. 2005....
- Lytic infection of pseudorabies virus in the presence of spermine, spermidine, or DFMOHsien Chi Wang
Department of Veterinary Medicine, College of Veterinary Medicine, National Chung Hsing University, Taichung, 402, Taiwan
Virus Res 94:121-7. 2003....
- The putrescine analogue 1-aminooxy-3-aminopropane perturbs polyamine metabolism in the phytopathogenic fungus Sclerotinia sclerotiorumAndrés Gárriz
Instituto de Investigaciones Biotecnológicas Instituto Tecnológico de Chascomús, Universidad Nacional de General San Martín Consejo Nacional de Investigaciones Científicas y Técnicas, Casilla de Correo 164, 7130, Chascomús, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Arch Microbiol 180:169-75. 2003..The potential of 1-aminooxy-3-aminopropane as a tool for studies on fungal polyamine metabolism and for the control of plant diseases of fungal origin is discussed...
- Ectomycorrhizal fungal species and strains differ in their ability to produce free and conjugated polyaminesKaroliina Niemi
Department of Applied Biology, University of Helsinki, P O Box 27, 00014 Helsinki, Finland
Mycorrhiza 13:283-7. 2003..The small amounts of soluble conjugated polyamines found in the culture filtrates indicate that some specific conjugated polyamines may be involved in polyamine translocation across the plasma membrane...
- Polyamines in cultured rabbit corneal cellsHaiming Du
Department of Physiology, The University of Tennessee Health Science Center, Memphis, Tennessee 38163, USA
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 44:2512-7. 2003....
- Polyamines promote root elongation and growth by increasing root cell division in regenerated Virginia pine (Pinus virginiana Mill.) plantletsWei Tang
Department of Biology, Howell Science Complex, East Carolina University, Greenville, NC 27858 4353, USA
Plant Cell Rep 24:581-9. 2005..These results demonstrated that polyamines promote root elongation and growth by increasing root cell division in regenerated Virginia pine plantlets...
- Polyamine uptake in cultured cerebellar granule neuronsJosep Dot
Departamento de Bioquímica y Biologia Molecular Instituto de Neurociencias, Edificio M, Universidad Autonoma de Barcelona, 08193 Cerdanyola del Valles, Barcelona, Spain
Neurochem Int 44:549-56. 2004..These results indicate that putrescine and spermidine transport in cerebellar granule cells is membrane potential dependent, whereas spermine uptake is not modulated by membrane potential...
- Difluoromethylornithine decreases long-lasting protein oxidation induced by neonatal ethanol exposure in the hippocampus of adolescent ratsCarlos Fernando Mello
Departamento de Fisiologia e Farmacologia, Universidade Federal de Santa Maria, Santa Maria, Brazil
Alcohol Clin Exp Res 31:887-94. 2007..However, it is not known if early ethanol exposure causes long-lasting protein oxidative damage and if polyamines play a role in such a deleterious effect of ethanol...
- Polyamine biosynthesis as a target to inhibit apoptosis of non-tumoral cellsF Flamigni
Department of Biochemistry G Moruzzi, University of Bologna, Bologna, Italy
Amino Acids 33:197-202. 2007....
- Changes in polyamines, auxins and peroxidase activity during in vitro rooting of Fraxinus angustifolia shoots: an auxin-independent rooting modelG Tonon
Univ. di Bologna, Dipartimento di Colture Arboree, Via F. Re 6, IT 40126 Bologna, Italy
Tree Physiol 21:655-63. 2001....
- Studies on the mechanism by which prolactin stimulates alpha-aminoisobutyric acid uptake into cultured mouse mammary tissuesK Golden
Department of Physiology, Wayne State University School of Medicine, Detroit, Michigan
Horm Metab Res 25:466-9. 1993..Finally, the inhibition of the PRL response by the protein kinase C inhibitor H-7 suggests that the activation of kinase C activity may also be involved in the PRL stimulation of AIB transport...
- Increased levels of gamma-glutamylamines in Huntington disease CSFThomas M Jeitner
Red Anvil, LLC, Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA
J Neurochem 106:37-44. 2008....
- Molecular dynamics simulation of multivalent-ion mediated attraction between DNA moleculesLiang Dai
Department of Physics, National University of Singapore, 2 Science Drive 3, Singapore 117542
Phys Rev Lett 100:118301. 2008..e., multivalent ions which are simultaneously bound to the two opposing DNA molecules. The lifetime of the ion bridges is short on the order of a few nanoseconds...
- Polyamines in the basal ganglia of human brain. Influence of aging and degenerative movement disordersM Vivo
Department of Neurochemistry, Institut d Investigacions Biomèdiques de Barcelona CSIC IDIBAPS, C Rosselló 161, 6th floor 08036, Barcelona, Spain
Neurosci Lett 304:107-11. 2001..These results suggest that in advanced stages of neurodegenerative processes, polyamines maintain their regulation. Only in the presence of severe atrophy, SM concentration is reduced...
- Effect of hindlimb suspension and clenbuterol treatment on polyamine levels in skeletal muscleImad K Abukhalaf
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Morehouse School of Medicine, Atlanta, GA 30310 1495, USA
Pharmacology 65:145-54. 2002..Spermidine appeared to be the primary polyamine involved in skeletal muscle atrophy/hypertrophy...
- Gene structure and chromosomal localization of mouse S-adenosylmethionine decarboxylaseK Nishimura
Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Chiba University, Japan
Gene 238:343-50. 1999..Lower concentrations of polyamines affect both stimulation and inhibition of AdoMetDC synthesis, through the uORF in the mRNA, than affect general protein synthesis...
- Polyamines and mRNA stability in regulation of intestinal mucosal growthJ Y Wang
Cell Biology Group, Departments of Surgery and Pathology, University of Maryland School of Medicine and Baltimore Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Baltimore, MD 21201, USA
Amino Acids 33:241-52. 2007..In this review article, we will focus on changes in expression of growth-inhibiting genes following polyamine depletion and further analyze in some detail the mechanisms through which mRNA stability is regulated by RNA-binding proteins...
- Polyamine metabolism in prostaglandin E2-treated human T lymphocytesP Ruggeri
Institute of Biochemistry, University of Messina, Medical School, Italy
Immunopharmacol Immunotoxicol 22:117-29. 2000..These changes were related to modifications of cAMP concentrations. Our data may help clarify the mechanisms underlying the biphasic effect of PGE2, which ultimately leads to inhibition of cell proliferation...
- [Regulation of polyamine and cancer]Keijiro Samejima
Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Josai University, Sakado City, Japan
Yakugaku Zasshi 126:529-42. 2006..I also found the close relationship between the concentration ratio of spermidine to spermine and the extent of liver regeneration. These results may shed new light on the control of cell growth by polyamine in vivo...
- Perturbation of polyamine metabolism and its relation to cell death in human colon cancer cells treated by 7beta-hydroxycholesterol and 7beta-hydroxysitosterolStamatiki Roussi
INSERM U682, Université Louis Pasteur EA3430, Faculté of Médecine, Laboratoire de Prévention Nutritionnelle du Cancer, IRCAD, 67092 Strasbourg, France
Int J Oncol 29:1549-54. 2006..These data indicate that polyamine metabolic perturbations triggered by 7beta-OHcholesterol but not by 7beta-OHsitosterol are related to cell death...
- Influence of polyamines on in vitro and in vivo features of aggressive and metastatic behavior by human breast cancer cellsAndrea Manni
Department of Medicine, Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine, Milton S Hershey Medical Center, Hershey 17033, USA
Clin Exp Metastasis 19:95-105. 2002..Furthermore, the data suggest that PA involvement is distal to local invasion in the metastatic cascade...
- Effect of immobilization stress on brain polyamine levels in spontaneously hypertensive and Wistar-Kyoto ratsHyung Seok Sohn
Department of Psychiatry, School of Medicine, Keimyung University, 194 Dongsan dong, Taegu, 700 712 South Korea
Brain Res Bull 57:575-9. 2002....
- Biological significance of dietary polyaminesElvira Larque
Department of Physiology, Faculty of Biology, University of Murcia, Murcia, Spain
Nutrition 23:87-95. 2007..They are components of breast milk and might be important in neonatal gut maturation, for which reason the possible supplementation of infant formulas with these compounds is under study...
- Biological polyamines inhibit nucleic-acid-induced polymerisation of prion proteinA Bera
Infectiologie Animale et Sante Publique, Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, Nouzilly, France
Arch Virol 152:655-68. 2007....
- Polyamine effects on antibiotic susceptibility in bacteriaDong Hyeon Kwon
Department of Biology, Georgia State University, 24 Peachtree Center Avenue, Atlanta, GA 30303, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 51:2070-7. 2007b>Biogenic polyamines (e.g., spermidine and spermine) are a group of essential polycationic compounds found in all living cells...
- Polynuclear palladium complexes with biogenic polyamines: AFM and voltammetric characterizationO Corduneanu
Departamento de Quimica, Faculdade de Ciencias e Tecnologia, Universidade de Coimbra, Portugal
Bioelectrochemistry 78:97-105. 2010Polynuclear Pd(II) complexes with biogenic polyamines present great potential clinical importance, due to their antiproliferative and cytotoxic activity coupled to less severe side-effects...
- Effects of polyamine levels on the degradation of short-lived and long-lived proteins in cultured L-132 human lung cellsD Corella
Instituto de Investigaciones Citologicas, Fundacion Valenciana de Investigaciones Biomedicas, Amadeo de Saboya, 4, 46010 Valencia, Spain
Biochem J 334:367-75. 1998b>Biogenic polyamines have important regulatory functions in various biological processes and it has also been suggested that they could modulate intracellular protein degradation...
- DNA interaction with antitumor polyamine analogues: a comparison with biogenic polyaminesC N N'soukpoé-Kossi
Departement de Chimie Biologie, Universite du Quebec a Trois Rivieres, C P 500, Trois Rivieres Quebec, G9A 5H7, Canada
Biomacromolecules 9:2712-8. 2008b>Biogenic polyamines, putrescine, spermidine, and spermine, are ubiquitous cellular cations and exert multiple biological functions...
- Methylamine interaction with proteins of photosystem II: a comparison with biogenic polyaminesS Hamdani
Groupe de Recherche en Biologie Végétale, Departement de Chimie Biologie, Universite du Quebec a Trois Rivieres, C P 500, Trois Rivieres, Quebec, Canada
J Photochem Photobiol B 96:201-6. 2009b>Biogenic polyamines are essential for cell growth and differentiation...
- Capillary gas chromatographic determination of spermidine in diet integratorsV Gambaro
Istituto di Chimica Farmaceutica e Tossicologica, Universita degli Studi di Milano, Viale Abruzzi 42, 20131 Milan, Italy
J Pharm Biomed Anal 35:409-13. 2004b>Biogenic polyamines, among which is spermidine (SPD, NH2-(CH2)4-NH-(CH2)3-NH2), are ubiquitous polycationic molecules that have a definitive role in many biological processes, such as nucleic acid metabolism, protein synthesis and cell ..
- Capillary gas-chromatographic determination of spermidine in hair lotionVeniero Gambaro
Istituto di Chimica Farmaceutica e Tossicologica, Universita degli Studi di Milano, Milano, Italy
J Sep Sci 29:1294-7. 2006b>Biogenic polyamines, such as spermidine (SPD, NH2-(CH2)4-NH-(CH2)3-NH2), are ubiquitous polycationic molecules which play a definitive role in many biological processes such as nucleic acid metabolism, protein synthesis, and cell growth...
- NMR of alpha-synuclein-polyamine complexes elucidates the mechanism and kinetics of induced aggregationClaudio O Fernandez
LANAIS RMN 300, Laboratorio Nacional de Resonancia Magnética, Facultad de Farmacia y Bioquimica, Universidad de Buenos Aires, Buenos Aires, Argentina
EMBO J 23:2039-46. 2004..b>Biogenic polyamines promote the aggregation of alpha-synuclein and may constitute endogenous agents modulating the pathogenesis ..
- Fluorophor-labeled spermidine derivatives as fluorescent markers in optical tumor imagingMarkus Wolf
Department of Radiopharmaceutical Chemistry, German Cancer Research Center DKFZ, Im Neuenheimer Feld 280, D 69120 Heidelberg, Germany
Bioorg Med Chem Lett 16:3193-6. 2006Up-regulation of polyamine transporters on the surface of tumor cells and the internalization of biogenic polyamines by active transport processes may be exploited for the accumulation of spermidine derivatives as reporter molecules...
- Polyamine analogues bind human serum albuminR Beauchemin
Departement de Chimie Biologie, Universite du Quebec a Trois Rivieres, C P 500, Trois Rivieres Quebec, Canada
Biomacromolecules 8:3177-83. 2007..HSA structure was less perturbed by polyamine analogues compared to those of the biogenic polyamines.
- Phospho-sulindac (OXT-328), a novel sulindac derivative, is safe and effective in colon cancer prevention in miceGerardo G MacKenzie
Division of Cancer Prevention, Department of Medicine, Stony Brook University, Stony Brook, New York 11794 8173, USA
Gastroenterology 139:1320-32. 2010..However, chronic administration of NSAIDs is associated with significant side effects, mainly of the gastrointestinal tract. Given these limitations, we synthesized phospho-sulindac (P-S; OXT-328), a novel sulindac derivative...
- Relationship between AtPase activity and conjugated polyamines in mitochondrial membrane from wheat seedling roots under osmotic stressHuai Pan Liu
Key Laboratory of Crop Growth Regulation, Ministry of Agriculture, College of Life Science, Nanjing Agriculture University, Nanjing 210095, China
J Environ Sci (China) 16:712-6. 2004..All the results above suggested that osmotic stress tolerance of wheat seedlings was associated with the ATPase activity, the contents of -SH group, NCC-Spd and CC-Put in mitochondrial membrane...
- Metabolic profiling of Alzheimer's disease brainsKoichi Inoue
Laboratory of Analytical and Bio Analytical Chemistry, School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Shizuoka, Shizuoka, Japan
Sci Rep 3:2364. 2013..Based on the investigation of the polyamine metabolite pathway, these data establish that the downstream metabolites of ornithine are increased, potentially implicating ornithine decarboxylase activity in AD pathology. ..
- Hydroxyl radical scavenging and singlet oxygen quenching properties of polyaminesKumuda C Das
Department of Molecular Biology, University of Texas Health Center at Tyler, Tyler, TX 75708, USA
Mol Cell Biochem 262:127-33. 2004..5 and 1 mM concentrations. These results suggest that polyamines are powerful. OH scavengers, and spermine or spermidine also can quench singlet oxygen at higher concentrations...
- The propeptide of yeast cathepsin D inhibits programmed necrosisD Carmona-Gutierrez
Institute of Molecular Biosciences, University of Graz, Graz, Austria
Cell Death Dis 2:e161. 2011..Altogether, these data discriminate two pro-survival functions of yeast CatD and provide first insight into the physiological regulation of programmed necrosis in yeast...
- Binding of the biogenic polyamines to deoxyribonucleic acids of varying base composition: base specificity and the associated energetics of the interactionAyesha Kabir
Biophysical Chemistry Laboratory, Chemistry Division, CSIR Indian Institute of Chemical Biology, Kolkata, India
PLoS ONE 8:e70510. 2013....
- Expression of antizyme inhibitor 2 in mast cells and role of polyamines as selective regulators of serotonin secretionKristiina Kanerva
Department of Pathology, Haartman Institute, University of Helsinki, Helsinki, Finland
PLoS ONE 4:e6858. 2009..We have investigated the intracellular localization of AZIN2 both in resting and activated MCs. In addition, we have examined the functional role of polyamines, downstream effectors of AZIN2, as potential regulators of MC activity...
- Transverse acoustic modes of biogenic and alpha,omega-polyamines: a study by inelastic neutron scattering and Raman spectroscopies coupled to DFT calculationsLuis A E Batista de Carvalho
Research Unit Molecular Physical Chemistry, University of Coimbra, 3000 401 Coimbra, Portugal
J Phys Chem A 110:12947-54. 2006..for the homologous series of alpha,omega-diamines (H2N(CH2)nNH2) (n = 2-10, n = 12) as well as for the biogenic polyamines spermidine and spermine was undertaken, by Raman and inelastic neutron scattering (INS) spectroscopies ..
- [Tumor markers for detecting pancreatic cancer]Akihiko Nakaizumi
Department of Cancer Survey, Osaka Medical Center for Cancer and Cardiovascular Diseases
Nihon Rinsho 64:144-7. 2006
- The immunomodulatory benzodiazepine Bz-423 inhibits B-cell proliferation by targeting c-myc protein for rapid and specific degradationThomas B Sundberg
Department of Chemistry, University of Michigan, 1500 East Medical Center Drive, Ann Arbor, MI 48109, USA
Cancer Res 66:1775-82. 2006..Collectively, this work describes a new lead compound, with drug-like properties, which regulates c-myc by a novel molecular mechanism that may be therapeutically useful...
- Targeting polyamine metabolism and function in cancer and other hyperproliferative diseasesRobert A Casero
The Sidney Kimmel Comprehensive Cancer Center, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland 21231, USA
Nat Rev Drug Discov 6:373-90. 2007....
- Polyamines modify the components of phospholipids-based signal transduction pathway in Coffea arabica L. cellsIleana Echevarría-Machado
Unidad de Bioquímica y Biología Molecular de Plantas, Centro de Investigación Científica de Yucatán, Calle 43, 130 Col Chuburná de Hidalgo, CP 97200, Merida Yucatan, Mexico
Plant Physiol Biochem 43:874-81. 2005..The results presented here suggest that Pas may modulate the cellular signal of C. arabica cells by differentially affecting components of the phospholipid cascade...
- Programmed cell death: similarities and differences in animals and plants. A flower paradigmM Della Mea
Dipartimento di Biologia, Universita degli Studi di Bologna, Bologna, Italy
Amino Acids 33:395-404. 2007..The location of transglutaminase in some sub-cellular compartments suggests that it exerts different functions in the corolla DCD...
- Induction of cell death by combination treatment with cisplatin and 5-fluorouracil in a human oral squamous cell carcinoma cell lineMasahiko Okamura
Division of Oral Maxillofacial Surgery, Meikai University School of Dentistry, Sakado, Saitama 350 0283, Japan
Anticancer Res 27:3331-7. 2007..These results suggest that simultaneous treatment with CDDP and 5-FU induces lower level of apoptotic cell death in HSC-2 cells...
- Floating resistivity detector for microchip electrophoresisElaine Teng Teng Tay
Department of Chemistry, National University of Singapore, Singapore, Republic of Singapore
Electrophoresis 28:4620-8. 2007..Based on the preliminary results obtained, the detection limits were in the range of 0.4-0.7 mg/L for the inorganic cations and 1.5-15 mg/L for the amino compounds...
- A dual upstream open reading frame-based autoregulatory circuit controlling polyamine-responsive translationColin Hanfrey
Institute of Food Research, Norwich Research Park, Colney, Norwich NR4 7UA, United Kingdom
J Biol Chem 280:39229-37. 2005....
- L-arginine inhibits isoproterenol-induced cardiac hypertrophy through nitric oxide and polyamine pathwaysYan Lin
Department of Pathophysiology, Harbin Medical University, Harbin, China
Basic Clin Pharmacol Toxicol 103:124-30. 2008....
- Arginine homeostasis and transport in the human pathogen Leishmania donovaniIlona Darlyuk
Faculty of Biology, Technion Israel Institute of Technology, Haifa 32000, Israel
J Biol Chem 284:19800-7. 2009..donovani is identical to that of the mammalian cation amino acid transporter 1. Thus, we conjecture that Leishmania mimics the host response to amino acid availability to improve virulence...
- Kinetic and morphometric responses of heterogeneous populations of NMU-induced rat mammary tumor cells to hormone and antipolyamine therapy in vivoA Manni
Department of Medicine, Milton S Hershey Medical Center, Pennsylvania State University, Hershey 17033
Breast Cancer Res Treat 17:179-86. 1991..4%. Ovariectomy and DFMO reduced height but not width of glandular cells, resulting in a modest decrease in cell volume. The combination treatment, however, significantly suppressed all three parameters.(ABSTRACT TRUNCATED AT 250 WORDS)..
- Importance of bile acids for novel oral absorption system containing polyamines to improve intestinal absorptionMasateru Miyake
Bioavailability Research Project, Formulation Research Institute, Otsuka Pharmaceutical Co, Ltd, 224 18 Ebino, Hiraishi, Kawauchi cho, Tokushima 771 0182, Japan
J Control Release 115:130-3. 2006..These results indicate that bile acids are indispensable for the novel formulation containing SPM to improve the absorption of rebamipide after oral administration...
- Polyamines and cell migrationS A McCormack
Department of Physiology, University of Tennessee Health Science Center, Memphis 38163, USA
J Physiol Pharmacol 52:327-49. 2001....
- The effect of polyamine biosynthesis inhibition on growth and differentiation of the phytopathogenic fungus Sclerotinia sclerotiorumF L Pieckenstain
, , , Buenos Aires, Argentina
Antonie Van Leeuwenhoek 80:245-53. 2001..Ascospore germination was completely insensitive to the inhibitors...
- Nitric oxide, free radicals and polyamines may have a role in the membrane pathology of schizophreniaI Das
Department of Psychiatry, Imperial College School of Medicine, London, UK
Neuropsychobiology 37:65-7. 1998..Significantly increased levels of polyamines in drug-treated schizophrenic cells indicates a possible role of polyamines in the activation of proposed hypofunctional NMDA subtype of glutamate receptor systems in schizophrenia...
- Activation of N-acylethanolamine-releasing phospholipase D by polyaminesQian Liu
Department of Biochemistry, Kagawa Medical University, 1750 1 Ikenobe, Miki, Kagawa, Japan
Chem Phys Lipids 115:77-84. 2002..The spermine-stimulated enzyme was also active with N-arachidonoyl-PE (a precursor of anandamide). Thus, polyamines may function as endogenous activators to control the biosynthesis of anandamide and other N-acylethanolamines...
- Non-covalent and coordination interactions in Cu(II) systems with uridine, uridine 5'-monophosphate and triamine or tetramine as biogenic amine analogues in aqueous solutionsLechosław Łomozik
Faculty of Chemistry, A Mickiewicz University, Grunwaldzka 6, Poznan 60780, Poland
J Inorg Biochem 97:179-90. 2003..Moreover, in certain coordination compounds this group is engaged in non-covalent interactions with PA molecules, despite binding Cu ions, as has been shown on the basis of equilibrium and spectral studies...
- Visually driven regulation of intrinsic neuronal excitability improves stimulus detection in vivoCarlos D Aizenman
Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, Cold Spring Harbor, NY 11724, USA
Neuron 39:831-42. 2003..The synaptic and intrinsic adaptations function together to keep tectal neurons within a constant operating range, while making the intact visual system less responsive to background activity yet more sensitive to burst stimuli...
- Polyamine uptake is necessary for a normal biochemical maturation of astrocytes in cultureJosep Dot
Instituto de Neurociencias and Departamento de Bioquímica y Biología Molecular, Edificio M, Universidad Autonoma de Barcelona, 08193 Cerdanyola del Valles, Barcelona, Spain
Neuroreport 13:1083-7. 2002..The present results suggest that polyamine uptake plays an important role in the biochemical maturation of astrocytes in culture...
- Translational regulation of the plant S-adenosylmethionine decarboxylaseC Hanfrey
Division of Food Safety Science, Institute of Food Research, Norwich Research Park, Colney, Norwich NR4 7UA, U K
Biochem Soc Trans 31:424-7. 2003..S-Adenosylmethionine decarboxylase (AdoMetDC) is a key enzyme in polyamine biosynthesis and both mammalian and plant AdoMetDCs are translationally regulated by uORFs in response to polyamine levels by distinct mechanisms...
- Antizyme2 is a negative regulator of ornithine decarboxylase and polyamine transportC Zhu
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, University of California, San Francisco, California 94143 0414, USA
J Biol Chem 274:26425-30. 1999..However, in contrast to antizyme1, antizyme2 has negligible ability to stimulate degradation of ornithine decarboxylase in a rabbit reticulocyte lysate...
- INVESTIGATIONS OF MAMMALIAN AMINOPROPYLTRANSFERASESANTHONY PEGG; Fiscal Year: 2009..abstract_text> ..
- Development and study of specific Kir channel inhibitorsZhe Lu; Fiscal Year: 2009..abstract_text> ..
- Arginine and Ovine Model for Fetal Growth RestrictionGuoyao Wu; Fiscal Year: 2007..This will ultimately promote favorable pregnancy outcomes while saving billions of healthcare dollars in the U.S. and worldwide. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Defective PS Exposure in Neutrophil Apoptosis in CGDDonna Bratton; Fiscal Year: 2007..It is expected that data from this investigation will identify novel potential therapeutic targets to address disordered inflammation of CGD. ..
- Regulation of Arginase Genes in Sepsis and TraumaSidney Morris; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- Polyamines and Breast Cancer BiologyAndrea Manni; Fiscal Year: 2005..The ultimate goal of these studies is to identify critical signaling molecules which can be targeted in conjunction with antipolyamine therapy to optimize prevention of metastasis from breast cancer. ..
- Novel therapeutics for chronic painPaul Wood; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- CONFERENCE ON THE MODULATION OF CHEMOSENSORY SIGNALINGWILLIAM MICHEL; Fiscal Year: 2004..By not restricting the scope of the conference to a single chemosensory modality or model system we hope to foster collaborative interactions among investigators in the field. ..
- MECHANISMS OF PERMEATION IN INWARD RECTIFIER K+ CHANNELSZhe Lu; Fiscal Year: 2002..For example, G-protein gated inward-rectifier K+ channels mediate the regulation of heart rate by vagal nerve, and ATP-sensitive inward-rectifier K+ channels are important during cardiac ischemia. (End of Abstract) ..
- PHYSIOLOGY OF THE DEVELOPING OLFACTORY EPITHELIUMWILLIAM MICHEL; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- Polyamine Suppression By Antizyme inducing AnalogsJohn Mitchell; Fiscal Year: 2002..These studies will provide an essential foundation for further exploration of the chemical induction of antizyme as a means of chemoprevention in animals. ..
- POLYAMINE INVOLVEMENT IN MAMMARY CARCINOGENESISAndrea Manni; Fiscal Year: 2001....