- Severe allergic contact dermatitis to paraphenylene diamine in hair dye following sensitization to black henna tattoos
Zaid F Jasim
Department of Dermatology, The Ulster Hospital, Belfast, UK
Contact Dermatitis 52:116-7. 2005
- para-Phenylenediamine: the profile of an important allergen. Results of the IVDK
Department of Dermatology, University of Witten Herdecke and Klinikum Dortmund gGmbH, Dortmund, Germany
Br J Dermatol 159:379-86. 2008
..para-Phenylenediamine (PPD) is an important contact allergen and primarily used in hair dyeing...
- Severe allergic hair dye reactions in 8 children
National Allergy Research Centre, Department of Dermatology, Gentofte Hospital, University of Copenhagen, 2900 Helleup, Denmark
Contact Dermatitis 54:87-91. 2006
..The clinical consequences of these reactions are unknown. A re-evaluation of the risk assessment/risk management for hair dyes is required...
- Allergic contact dermatitis to paraphenylendiamine in hair dye after sensitization from black henna tattoos: a report of 6 cases
Department of Dermatology, Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre, University of Toronto, Ont
CMAJ 176:445-6. 2007
- Is incident sensitization to p-phenylenediamine related to particular exposure patterns? Results of a questionnaire study
Department of Medical Informatics, Biometry and Epidemiology, Friedrich Alexander University Erlangen Nurnberg, 91054 Erlangen, Germany
Contact Dermatitis 56:266-70. 2007
- KCNQ/M currents in sensory neurons: significance for pain therapy
Gayle M Passmore
Department of Pharmacology, University College London, London WC1E 6BT, United Kingdom
J Neurosci 23:7227-36. 2003
..It is suggested that IK(M) plays a key role in controlling the excitability of nociceptors and may represent a novel analgesic target...
- The contribution of Kv7 channels to pregnant mouse and human myometrial contractility
Laura A McCallum
Maternal and Fetal Research Unit, Division of Reproduction and Endocrinology, King s College London, St Thomas Hospital Campus, London, UK
J Cell Mol Med 15:577-86. 2011
..Consequently, activation of the encoded channels represents a novel mechanism for treatment of preterm labour...
- Activation of voltage-gated KCNQ/Kv7 channels by anticonvulsant retigabine attenuates mechanical allodynia of inflammatory temporomandibular joint in rats
Department of Neurobiology, Neuroscience Research Institute, Peking University Health Science Center, 38 Xueyuan Road, Beijing 100191, China
Mol Pain 6:49. 2010
- KV7 channels regulate muscle tone and nonadrenergic noncholinergic relaxation of the rat gastric fundus
Institute of Pharmacology, School of Medicine, Catholic University of the Sacred Heart, L go F Vito 1, 00168 Rome, Italy
Pharmacol Res 64:397-409. 2011
..KV7 channel activators could be useful relaxant agents of the gastric smooth muscle...
- Molecular and functional characterization of Kv7 K+ channel in murine gastrointestinal smooth muscles
Thomas A Jepps
Division of Basic Medical Sciences, St George s, University of London, London, United Kingdom
Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 297:G107-15. 2009
..Drugs that selectively block K(v)7.4/7.5 might be promising therapeutics for the treatment of motility disorders such as constipation associated with irritable bowel syndrome...
- Vascular KCNQ (Kv7) potassium channels as common signaling intermediates and therapeutic targets in cerebral vasospasm
Bharath K Mani
Department of Molecular Pharmacology and Therapeutics, Loyola University, Chicago, Maywood, IL, USA
J Cardiovasc Pharmacol 61:51-62. 2013
..In conclusion, we identify Kv7 channels as common targets of vasoconstrictor spasmogens and as candidates for therapeutic intervention for cerebral vasospasm...
- Kv7 potassium channels in airway smooth muscle cells: signal transduction intermediates and pharmacological targets for bronchodilator therapy
Lioubov I Brueggemann
Department of Molecular Pharmacology and Therapeutics, Loyola University Chicago, Maywood, IL 60153, USA
Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol 302:L120-32. 2012
- KV7 channelopathies
Department of Neurology and Epileptology, Center for Neurology, Hertie Institute for Clinical Brain Research, University Hospital Tubingen, Hoppe Seyler Str 3, 72076, Tubingen, Germany
Pflugers Arch 460:277-88. 2010
..We also assess the therapeutic potential of KV7 channels; in particular, how the activation of KV7 channels by the compounds retigabine and R-L3 may be useful for treatment of epilepsy or cardiac arrhythmia...
- Molecular pharmacology and therapeutic potential of neuronal Kv7-modulating drugs
Section of Pharmacology, Department of Neuroscience, University of Naples Federico II, Naples, Italy
Curr Opin Pharmacol 8:65-74. 2008
- Functional effects of the KCNQ modulators retigabine and XE991 in the rat urinary bladder
Neurosearch A S, Ballerup, Denmark
Eur J Pharmacol 638:121-7. 2010
..In conclusion, this study demonstrates an efficacious KCNQ dependent effect of retigabine and XE991 on rat bladder contractility...
- Molecular expression and pharmacological identification of a role for K(v)7 channels in murine vascular reactivity
S Y M Yeung
Division of Basic Medical Sciences, Ion Channels and Cell Signalling Research Centre, St George s, University of London, London, UK
Br J Pharmacol 151:758-70. 2007
..This study represents a novel characterisation of KCNQ-encoded potassium channels in the vasculature using a variety of pharmacological and molecular tools to determine their role in contractility...
- The urinary safety profile and secondary renal effects of retigabine (ezogabine): a first-in-class antiepileptic drug that targets KCNQ (K(v)7) potassium channels
GlaxoSmithKline, Stockley Park, Middlesex, UK
Epilepsia 53:606-12. 2012
..The reported clinical effects of RTG/EZG are consistent with its documented effects on bladder smooth muscle in preclinical studies. RTG/EZG should be used with caution in patients at risk of urinary retention...
- Bimodal effects of the Kv7 channel activator retigabine on vascular K+ currents
Division of Basic Medical Sciences, Ion Channels and Cell Signalling Research Centre, St George s University of London, London, UK
Br J Pharmacol 155:62-72. 2008
..This study investigated the functional and electrophysiological effects of the Kv7 channel activator, retigabine, on murine portal vein smooth muscle...
- One man's side effect is another man's therapeutic opportunity: targeting Kv7 channels in smooth muscle disorders
T A Jepps
Division of Biomedical Sciences, St George s, University of London, Cranmer Terrace, UK
Br J Pharmacol 168:19-27. 2013
..This review discusses the potential of targeting Kv7 channels in the smooth muscle to treat diseases such as hypertension, bladder instability, constipation and preterm labour...
- Expression, localization, and pharmacological role of Kv7 potassium channels in skeletal muscle proliferation, differentiation, and survival after myotoxic insults
Fabio Arturo Iannotti
Division of Pharmacology, Department of Neuroscience, University of Naples Federico II, Naples, Italy
J Pharmacol Exp Ther 332:811-20. 2010
..These data collectively highlight neural K(v)7 channels as significant pharmacological targets to regulate skeletal muscle proliferation, differentiation, and myotoxic effects of drugs...
- Urodynamic effects of the K+ channel (KCNQ) opener retigabine in freely moving, conscious rats
Department of Clinical and Experimental Pharmacology, Lund University Hospital, Lund, Sweden
J Urol 172:2054-8. 2004
..Retigabine is a novel anticonvulsant drug that not only augments gamma-aminobutyric acid mechanisms, but also opens voltage gated K+ channels (KCNQ). In this study we investigated the effects of retigabine on detrusor activity in rats...
- Expression and function of K(v)7 channels in murine myometrium throughout oestrous cycle
Laura A McCallum
King s College London, St Thomas Hospital Campus, UK
Pflugers Arch 457:1111-20. 2009
..05), whereas retigabine (K(v)7 activator) significantly relaxed uterine tissues (p < 0.001). These data are the first to characterise KCNQ and KCNE gene expression in a cell type outside of neurons and the cardiovascular system...
- Combinatorial augmentation of voltage-gated KCNQ potassium channels by chemical openers
Departments of Neuroscience, Physiology and High Throughput Biology Center, School of Medicine, Johns Hopkins University, 733 North Broadway, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 105:3128-33. 2008
..The resultant combinatorial potentiation by multiple synthetic chemical openers indicates that KCNQ channels are accessible to various types and combinations of pharmacological regulation...
- Retigabine/Ezogabine, a KCNQ/K(V)7 channel opener: pharmacological and clinical data
Abteilung Neurologie mit Schwerpunkt Epileptologie, Hertie Institut für Klinische Hirnforschung, Universitat Tubingen, Tubingen, Germany
Expert Opin Pharmacother 13:1807-16. 2012
..Retigabine/Ezogabine (RTG) is a third-generation antiepileptic drug (AED) with a novel mechanism of action. It enhances the activity of voltage-gated K(V)7 potassium channels...
- Gold(I)-catalyzed synthesis of 1,5-benzodiazepines directly from o-phenylenediamines and alkynes
State Key Laboratory Breeding Base of Green Chemistry Synthesis Technology, Zhejiang University of Technology, Hangzhou 310014, People s Republic of China
J Org Chem 77:4484-90. 2012
A unique gold(I)-catalyzed highly atom-economic synthesis of 1,5-benzodiazepines directly from o-phenylenediamines and alkynes has been achieved for the first time.
- The new anticonvulsant retigabine favors voltage-dependent opening of the Kv7.2 (KCNQ2) channel by binding to its activation gate
Thomas V Wuttke
Neurologische Klinik Abteilung Angewandte Physiologie, Universitat Ulm, Zentrum Klinische Forschung, Helmholtzstrasse 8 1, 89081 Ulm, Germany
Mol Pharmacol 67:1009-17. 2005
..We propose that RTG binds to a hydrophobic pocket formed upon channel opening between the cytoplasmic parts of S5 and S6 involving Trp236 and the channel's gate, which could well explain the strong shift in voltage-dependent activation...
- Clinical profile of acute paraphenylenediamine intoxication in Egypt
Sawsan A Shalaby
Forensic Medicine and Clinical Toxicology Department Faculty of Medicine Ain Shams University, Cairo, Egypt
Toxicol Ind Health 26:81-7. 2010
..In conclusion, PPD causes serious multisystem toxicity and its selling to the public should be officially restricted...
- Oxidative DNA damage induced by hair dye components ortho-phenylenediamines and the enhancement by superoxide dismutase
Department of Environmental and Molecular Medicine, Mie University Graduate School of Medicine, 2 174 Edobashi, Tsu, Mie 514 8507, Japan
Mutat Res 607:184-91. 2006
..Permanent oxidant hair dyes are consisted of many chemical components including ortho-phenylenediamines. To clarify the mechanism of carcinogenesis by hair dyes, we examined DNA damage induced by mutagenic ortho-..
- M channels containing KCNQ2 subunits modulate norepinephrine, aspartate, and GABA release from hippocampal nerve terminals
Institute of Pharmacology, School of Medicine, Catholic University of Sacred Heart, 00168 Rome, Italy
J Neurosci 24:592-7. 2004
..These findings provide novel evidence for a major regulatory role of KCNQ2 K+ channel subunits in neurotransmitter release from rat hippocampal nerve endings...
- The novel anticonvulsant retigabine activates M-currents in Chinese hamster ovary-cells tranfected with human KCNQ2/3 subunits
Department of Pharmacology, Arzneimittelwerk Dresden GmbH, Corporate R and D, ASTA Medica Group, Meibetaner Strasse 35, D 01445, Radebeul, Germany
Neurosci Lett 282:73-6. 2000
..Since the function of this channel is reduced in a hereditary epilepsy syndrome, retigabine may be the first anticonvulsant to directly target the deficit observed in a channelopathy...
- Activation of expressed KCNQ potassium currents and native neuronal M-type potassium currents by the anti-convulsant drug retigabine
Department of Pharmacology and Wellcome Laboratory for Molecular Pharmacology, University College London, London WC1E 6BT, United Kingdom
J Neurosci 21:5535-45. 2001
..In unclamped neurons, retigabine produced a hyperpolarization and reduced the number of action potentials produced by depolarizing current injections, without change in action potential configuration...
- Modulation of KCNQ2/3 potassium channels by the novel anticonvulsant retigabine
M J Main
Molecular Pharmacology, Neuroscience, Glaxo Wellcome Research and Development, Stevenage, Hertfordshire, United Kingdom
Mol Pharmacol 58:253-62. 2000
..Because the heteromeric KCNQ2/3 channel has recently been reported to underlie the M-current, it is likely that M-current modulation can explain the anticonvulsant actions of retigabine in animal models of epilepsy...
- Hair dye poisoning--an emerging problem in the tropics: an experience from a tertiary care hospital in South India
Department of Medicine 2, Christian Medical College, Vellore 632004, Tamil Nadu, India
Trop Doct 40:100-3. 2010
..It is imperative to raise public awareness of the potential toxicity of the dye as well as to educate physicians about the need for aggressive and early treatment...
- Retigabine, a novel anti-convulsant, enhances activation of KCNQ2/Q3 potassium channels
A D Wickenden
Icagen Inc, Durham, North Carolina 27702, USA
Mol Pharmacol 58:591-600. 2000
..Our findings identify KCNQ2/Q3 channels as a molecular target for retigabine and suggest that activation of KCNQ2/Q3 channels may be responsible for at least some of the anticonvulsant activity of this agent...
- Urinary acetylated metabolites and N-acetyltransferase-2 genotype in human subjects treated with a para-phenylenediamine-containing oxidative hair dye
Gerhard J Nohynek
L OREAL Research and Development, River Plaza Building, 25 29 quai Aulagnier, 92600 Asnières, France
Food Chem Toxicol 42:1885-91. 2004
..9%, respectively. Overall, our results suggest that the human acetylation rate of PPD after topical application is independent of the NAT2 genotype status, most likely due to metabolism by epidermal NAT1 prior to systemic absorption...
- Consumer allergy to oxidative hair coloring products: epidemiologic data in the literature
L OREAL Research and Development, Asnières, France
Dermatitis 20:123-41. 2009
..Data from studies in Asia are difficult to interpret. Pooled prevalence rates of positive patch-test reactions to PPD were calculated for the three continents...
- Phototoxicity of phenylenediamine hair dye chemicals in Salmonella typhimurium TA102 and human skin keratinocytes
Jackson State University, Jackson, MS 39217, USA
Food Chem Toxicol 46:3780-4. 2008
b>Phenylenediamines (PD) are dye precursors used to manufacture hair dyes...
- Simultaneous determination of oxidative hair dye p-phenylenediamine and its metabolites in human and rabbit biological fluids
Lai Hao Wang
Department of Applied Chemistry, China Nan University of Pharmacy and Science, Tainan 71743, Taiwan, ROC
Anal Biochem 312:201-7. 2003
..30) as the mobile phase. A comparison of the results obtained from HPLC-UV shows agreement...
- Childhood allergic contact dermatitis from henna tattoo
Department of Clinical and Experimental Medicine, Division of Dermatology, University of Bologna, Bologna, Italy
Pediatr Dermatol 19:503-5. 2002
..In one case a patch test was positive for PPD. We suggest that the fashion of temporary henna tattoos in children is to be discouraged due to the serious consequences that a sensitization to PPD could have in their future...
- Hair dye contact allergy: quantitative exposure assessment of selected products and clinical cases
National Allergy Research Centre, Department of Dermatology, University of Copenhagen Gentofte Hospital, Denmark
Contact Dermatitis 50:344-8. 2004
..Hair dye allergy may cause severe clinical reactions, and the current regulation is insufficient in protection of the users. A preventive strategy is needed...
- Retigabine reduces the excitability of unmyelinated peripheral human axons
P M Lang
Department of Physiology, University of Munich, Pettenkoferstrasse 12, D 80336 Munich, Germany
Neuropharmacology 54:1271-8. 2008
..It is likely that activation of these channels by retigabine may reduce the ectopic generation of action potentials in neuropathic pain...
- Positive patch-test reactions to para-phenylenediamine, their clinical relevance and the concept of clinical tolerance
Y C Chan
National Skin Centre, 1 Mandalay Road, Singapore 308205
Contact Dermatitis 45:217-20. 2001
..3 continued using PPD hair dyes: 2 had recurrent contact dermatitis and 1 avoided dermatitis with meticulous technique. The 2 patients with clinical tolerance continued using PPD hair dyes with no dermatitis...
- Refinement of the binding site and mode of action of the anticonvulsant Retigabine on KCNQ K+ channels
Institute of Biochemistry, Christian Albrechts University Kiel, Kiel, Germany
Mol Pharmacol 75:272-80. 2009
..This pocket, which is formed at the interface of two adjacent subunits, may be present only in the open state of the channel, consistent with the idea that retigabine stabilizes an open-channel conformation...
- Elicitation of the immune response to p-phenylenediamine in allergic patients: the role of dose and exposure time
The Procter and Gamble Company, Central Product Safety, Darmstadt, Germany and Cincinnati, OH, USA
Br J Dermatol 163:1205-11. 2010
..Usage of hair dye products containing p-phenylenediamine (PPD) is a concern for PPD-allergic individuals...
- Modulation of ERG channels by XE991
Department of Medical Physiology, The Panum Institute, The University of Copenhagen, Denmark
Basic Clin Pharmacol Toxicol 100:316-22. 2007
..In conclusion, great care should be taken when choosing the concentration of XE991 to use for experiments on native potassium channels or animal studies in order to be able to conclude on selective KCNQ channel-mediated effects...
- Lack of evidence for metabolism of p-phenylenediamine by human hepatic cytochrome P450 enzymes
Lesley A Stanley
CXR Biosciences, James Lindsay Place, Dundee Technopole, Dundee, DD1 5JJ, UK
Toxicology 210:147-57. 2005
- Investigations into the mechanism of action of the new anticonvulsant retigabine. Interaction with GABAergic and glutamatergic neurotransmission and with voltage gated ion channels
Department of Pharmacology 1, Arzneimittelwerk Dresden GmbH, Corporate R and D, ASTA Medica Group, Radebeul, Germany
Arzneimittelforschung 50:1063-70. 2000
..No significant interaction with NMDA induced currents was observed...
- Retigabine, the specific KCNQ channel opener, blocks ectopic discharges in axotomized sensory fibres
Dpto Fisiologia, Edificio de Medicina, Campus Universitario, Universidad de Alcala, Alcala de Henares, Madrid 28871, Spain
Pain 138:537-45. 2008
..Results indicate that KCNQ channel opening at axotomized endings may constitute a novel and selective mechanism for modulation of some neuropathic pain symptoms...
- Dermal penetration and metabolism of p-aminophenol and p-phenylenediamine: application of the EpiDerm human reconstructed epidermis model
The Procter and Gamble Company, Miami Valley Innovation Center, Cincinnati, OH 45253, USA
Toxicol Lett 188:119-29. 2009
..Characterising the metabolic capability of EpiDerm tissue is important for the evaluation of this model for use in genotoxicity testing...
- Ranking of hair dye substances according to predicted sensitization potency: quantitative structure-activity relationships
The National Allergy Research Centre for Consumer Products, Department of Dermatology, University of Copenhagen, Gentofte Hospital, Denmark
Contact Dermatitis 51:241-54. 2004
..This may prove useful in diagnosing PPD-negative patients with symptoms of hair dye allergy and would provide some clinical validation of the QSAR predictions...
- Conjugation polymer nanobelts: a novel fluorescent sensing platform for nucleic acid detection
State Key Laboratory of Electroanalytical Chemistry, Changchun Institute of Applied Chemistry, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Changchun 130022, Jilin, People s Republic of China
Nucleic Acids Res 39:e37. 2011
..This results in desorption of the hybridized complex from PN surface and subsequent recovery of fluorescence. We also show that the sensing platform described herein can be used for multiplexing detection of nucleic acid sequences...
- Optimization of an analytical method for detecting paraphenylenediamine (PPD) by GC/MS-iontrap in biological liquids
Laboratory of Forensic Sciences of Moroccan Gendarmerie Royale, BP 6597, Rabat Instituts, CP 10100 Rabat Maroc, Morocco
Forensic Sci Int 146:S87-92. 2004
..Benzidine was the internal standard used for quantification and the extraction recovery test was about 85%. The detection limit of paraphenylenediamine was determined at 0.1 pg (S/N=10)...
- Poly(o-phenylenediamine) colloid-quenched fluorescent oligonucleotide as a probe for fluorescence-enhanced nucleic acid detection
State Key Lab of Electroanalytical Chemistry, Changchun Institute of Applied Chemistry, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Changchun 130022, Jilin, China
Langmuir 27:874-7. 2011
- The anti-hyperalgesic activity of retigabine is mediated by KCNQ potassium channel activation
elbion AG, Meissner Strasse 191, 01445 Radebeul, Germany
Naunyn Schmiedebergs Arch Pharmacol 369:382-90. 2004
..Since the anti-allodynic effect can be inhibited by linopirdine we can conclude that the potassium channel opening properties of retigabine are critically involved in its ability to reduce neuropathic pain response...
- A general population from Thailand: incidence of common allergens with emphasis on para-phenylenediamine
J M L White
Department of Cutaneous Allergy, St Thomas Hospital, St John s Institute of Dermatology, London, UK
Clin Exp Allergy 37:1848-53. 2007
..No data exist on incidence of senitization to PPD resulting from the use of commercial hair dye preparations over a defined time period...
- Powerful reactive sorption of silver(I) and mercury(II) onto poly(o-phenylenediamine) microparticles
Xin Gui Li
Institute of Materials Chemistry, Key Laboratory of Advanced Civil Engineering Materials, College of Materials Science and Engineering, Tongji University, 1239 Si Ping Road, Shanghai 200092, China
Langmuir 25:1675-84. 2009
..8 wt %, (2) small diameter of Ag nanoparticles of around 10-20 nm, (3) narrow size distribution, (4) intrinsic electrical conductivity that is much higher than that of original PoPD microparticles without Ag...
- Analytical investigations of toxic p-phenylenediamine (PPD) levels in clinical urine samples with special focus on MALDI-MS/MS
Gero P Hooff
Department of Neurology, Laboratory of Neuro Oncology and Clinical and Cancer Proteomics, University Medical Center Rotterdam, ErasmusMC, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
PLoS ONE 6:e22191. 2011
..Finally, PPD concentrations were determined in clinical urine samples of cases of acute intoxication and the applied technique was expanded to identify MAPPD and DAPPD in the identical samples...
- Quantification of para-phenylenediamine and heavy metals in henna dye
Ik Joon Kang
Department of Dermatology, College of Medicine, Kyunghee University, Seoul, Korea
Contact Dermatitis 55:26-9. 2006
..PPD, nickel and cobalt were detected in 3, 11 and 4 samples, respectively...
- KCNQ4 channel activation by BMS-204352 and retigabine
R L Schrøder
Neurosearch A S, 93 Pederstrupvej, DK 2750, Ballerup, Denmark
Neuropharmacology 40:888-98. 2001
..KCNQ2, KCNQ2/Q3, and KCNQ3/Q4 channels were activated to a similar degree as KCNQ4 channels by 10 microM of BMS-204352 and retigabine, respectively. The compounds are, thus, likely to be general activators of M-like currents...
- Characterization of KCNQ5/Q3 potassium channels expressed in mammalian cells
A D Wickenden
Icagen Inc, 4222 Emperor Boulevard, Durham, North Carolina, NC 27703, USA
Br J Pharmacol 132:381-4. 2001
..Furthermore, the sensitivity of KCNQ5/Q3 channels to linopirdine supports the possibility that potassium channels comprised of KCNQ5 and KCNQ3 may make a contribution to native M-currents...
- A temporary henna tattoo causing hair and clothing dye allergy
Skin and Cancer Foundation Australia, 7 Ashley Lane, Westmead, NSW 2145, Australia
Contact Dermatitis 53:33-6. 2005
- Evaluation of the in vivo activity of tribendimidine against Schistosoma mansoni, Fasciola hepatica, Clonorchis sinensis, and Opisthorchis viverrini
Swiss Tropical Institute, P O Box, CH 4002 Basel, Switzerland
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 51:1096-8. 2007
..1% reduction of Clonorchis sinensis in rats. A 400-mg/kg dose of tribendimidine reduced Opisthorchis viverrini in hamsters by 95.7%. High doses of tribendimidine showed no activity against Schistosoma mansoni and Fasciola hepatica...
- Intermittent exposure to low-concentration paraphenylenediamine can be equivalent to single, higher-dose exposure
Jonathan M L White
St John s Institute of Dermatology, St Thomas Hospital, London, UK
Contact Dermatitis 56:262-5. 2007
..Hence, intermittent exposure to lower concentrations of PPD may be equivalent to higher concentration, one-off exposure...
- Acute allergic contact dermatitis due to para-phenylenediamine after temporary henna painting
Al Mutairi Nawaf
Department of Dermatology, Farwaniya Hospital, Kuwait
J Dermatol 30:797-800. 2003
..No reaction was seen at the natural henna site. Awareness of the condition among physicians and the public and regulation regarding warnings of the risks of using such products is urgently warranted...
- Involvement of KCNQ2 subunits in [3H]dopamine release triggered by depolarization and pre-synaptic muscarinic receptor activation from rat striatal synaptosomes
Institute of Pharmacology, School of Medicine, Catholic University of S Heart, Rome, Italy
J Neurochem 102:179-93. 2007
- Allergic contact dermatitis from temporary henna tattoo
Dragan L Jovanovic
Department of Dermatovenereology, Medical Faculty Nis, Clinic of Dermatology and Venereology, Nis, Serbia
J Dermatol 36:63-5. 2009
..Patch testing showed a positive reaction to PPD. After the treatment with topical corticosteroid and oral antihistamines, the lesion cleared with discrete residual hypopigmentation...
- Identification and quantification of para-phenylenediamine in a temporary black henna tattoo
Ronald R Brancaccio
Ronald O Perelman Department of Dermatology, New York University Medical Center, New York University, New York, NY, USA
Am J Contact Dermat 13:15-8. 2002
..Temporary black henna tattoos are very popular as body adornment. Although contact allergy to natural henna is unusual, the inclusion of hair dye, p-phenylenediamine (PPD), increases the risk of contact sensitization...
- The KCNQ channel opener retigabine inhibits the activity of mesencephalic dopaminergic systems of the rat
Henrik H Hansen
Department of Functional Neuroanatomy, Neurosearch A S, Pederstrupvej 93, DK 2750 Ballerup, Denmark
J Pharmacol Exp Ther 318:1006-19. 2006
..Collectively, these observations indicate that retigabine negatively modulates dopaminergic neurotransmission, likely originating from stimulation of mesencephalic KCNQ4 channels...
- Molecular determinants of KCNQ (Kv7) K+ channel sensitivity to the anticonvulsant retigabine
Institute of Biochemistry, Christian Albrechts University Kiel, D 24098 Kiel, Germany
J Neurosci 25:5051-60. 2005
..Transfer of the tryptophan into the KCNQ1 scaffold resulted in retigabine-sensitive heteromers, suggesting that the tryptophan is necessary in all KCNQ subunits forming a functional tetramer to confer drug sensitivity...
- Induction of LacZ mutations in Muta Mouse can distinguish carcinogenic from non-carcinogenic analogues of diaminotoluenes and nitronaphthalenes
Covance Laboratories Ltd, Otley Road, Harrogate HG3 1PY, United Kingdom
Mutat Res 608:88-96. 2006
..Robust carcinogenicity data are needed to determine whether 2-NNT can induce tumours in the liver and bladder...
- Meclofenamic acid and diclofenac, novel templates of KCNQ2/Q3 potassium channel openers, depress cortical neuron activity and exhibit anticonvulsant properties
Department of Physiology and Pharmacology, Sackler Medical School, Tel Aviv University, Tel Aviv 69978, Israel
Mol Pharmacol 67:1053-66. 2005
..These compounds potentially constitute novel drug templates for the treatment of neuronal hyperexcitability including epilepsy, migraine, or neuropathic pain...
- Effect of tribendimidine on adult Echinostoma caproni harbored in mice, including scanning electron microscopic observations
Swiss Tropical Institute, P O Box, CH 4002 Basel, Switzerland
J Parasitol 92:858-62. 2006
..Our findings call for further investigations using tribendimidine in other trematode-animal models, because this compound shows promising trematocidal activity...
- Kv7.2-7.5 voltage-gated potassium channel (KCNQ2-5) opener, retigabine, reduces capsaicin-induced visceral pain in mice
Pharmacology Department, Tsukuba Research Laboratories, High Throughput Biology, Discovery Research, GlaxoSmithKline, 43 Wadai, Tsukuba 300 4247, Japan
Neurosci Lett 413:159-62. 2007
..e., the number of licking) induced by the capsaicin treatment and prolonged the latency to first licking. These data provide the first evidence that increased KCNQ channel conductance plays an inhibitory role in the visceral pain pathway...
- Tribendimidine: a promising, safe and broad-spectrum anthelmintic agent from China
Shu Hua Xiao
National Institute of Parasitic Diseases, Chinese Center for Diseases Control and Prevention, Shanghai, China
Acta Trop 94:1-14. 2005
Vincent A DeLeo
Department of Dermatology, St Luke s Roosevelt Hospital Center, New York, NY, USA
Dermatitis 17:53-5. 2006
- Effect of the KCNQ potassium channel opener retigabine on single KCNQ2/3 channels expressed in CHO cells
Department of Pharmacology, University College London, Gower Street, UK
J Physiol 549:57-63. 2003
..Thus, steady-state kinetics were modified to favour the open channel configuration...
- Contact dermatitis due to para-phenylenediamine (PPD) on a temporal tattoo with henna. Cross reaction to azoic dyes
Maria Cristina Di Prisco
Instituto de Biomedicina MSDS UCV, Laboratorio de Inmunopatologia y Consulta de Alergia, Universidad Central de Venezuela Caracas, Venezuela
Invest Clin 47:295-9. 2006
- Distinction of mutagenic carcinogens from a mutagenic noncarcinogen in the big blue transgenic mouse
M L Cunningham
Environmental Toxicology Program, National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences, Research Triangle Park, North Carolina 27709, USA
Environ Health Perspect 104:683-6. 1996
- Local lymph node assay responses to paraphenylenediamine: intra- and inter-laboratory evaluations
E V Warbrick
Zeneca Central Toxicology Laboratory, Macclesfield, Cheshire, UK
J Appl Toxicol 19:255-60. 1999
..Taken together, these data confirm the stability of LLNA responses both with time and between laboratories and provide additional support for the use of derived EC3 values in the assessment of relative skin sensitizing potency...
- Plasma/blood pharmacokinetics and metabolism after dermal exposure to para-aminophenol or para-phenylenediamine
William E Dressler
Food Chem Toxicol 44:371-9. 2006
..Overall, the results suggest that topically applied PAP or PPD are metabolised in the skin, presumably by N-acetyltransferase-1 resulting in systemic exposure to acetylated metabolites, and not to their parent arylamines...
- Effects of retigabine (D-23129) on different patterns of epileptiform activity induced by low magnesium in rat entorhinal cortex hippocampal slices
Department of Neurophysiology, Institute of Physiology, Universitatsklinikum Charite, Humboldt University Berlin, Germany
Epilepsia 41:28-33. 2000
..The objective of this study was to evaluate the effect of a new antiseizure drug, retigabine (D-23129; N-(2-amino-4-[fluorobenzylamino]-phenyl) carbamic acid ethyl ester) on low-Mg2+-induced epileptiform discharges in rat in vitro...
- Matrix with high salt tolerance for the analysis of peptide and protein samples by desorption/ionization time-of-flight mass spectrometry
National Chromatographic R and A Center, Dalian Institute of Chemical Physics, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Dalian 116011, China
Anal Chem 78:2593-9. 2006
..Furthermore, it has been found that this matrix can also effectively suppress the cation ion adduction of the peptides in the presence of high concentrations of metal ions in sample solution...
- Allergy to p-phenylenediamine from a black transferable picture tattoo - hypopigmentation and sensitization to clothing dyes in a little girl
Department of Outpatient Clinic, Nofer Institute of Occupational Medicine, 91 348 Lodz, Poland
Contact Dermatitis 58:174-5. 2008
- Late reactions in patch tests: a 4-year review from a clinic of occupational dermatology
The Finnish Institute of Occupational Health, Control of Hypersensitivity Diseases, FI 00250 Helsinki, Finland
Contact Dermatitis 56:81-6. 2007
..Only 1 patient developed new dermatitis possibly due to active sensitization. Late reactions meeting the classic criteria of active sensitization were relatively common in our series from a special clinic of occupational dermatology...
- [Patch testing and nickel allergy]
Sonali Rathour Hansen
Medisinsk avdeling, Stavanger universitetssjukehus, 4068 Stavanger
Tidsskr Nor Laegeforen 128:433-5. 2008
..The prevalence of contact allergy varies between populations...
- Sensitivity to paraphenylenediamine in Warsaw (Poland)
Department of Dermatology, Warsaw Medical School, ul Koszykowa 82A, 02 008 Warsaw, Poland
Contact Dermatitis 57:347-8. 2007
- Toluene-2,5-diamine may be an isolated allergy in individuals sensitized by permanent hair dye
S M Winhoven
The Dermatology Centre, University of Manchester, Hope Hospital, Salford, Manchester M6 8HD, UK
Contact Dermatitis 57:193. 2007
- Erythema multiforme following allergic contact dermatitis: case report and literature review
Acta Derm Venereol 87:559-61. 2007
- Allergic contact dermatitis from toluene-2,5-diamine in a cream dye for eyelashes and eyebrows--quantitative exposure assessment
National Allergy Research Centre, Department of Dermatology, Gentofte Hospital, University of Copenhagen, 2820 Gentofte, Denmark
Contact Dermatitis 57:195-6. 2007
- Erythema multiforme-like eruption because of para-phenylenediamine
Department of Dermatology, University of Naples Federico II, 80131 Napoli, Italy
Contact Dermatitis 58:65-6. 2008
- Contact sensitization of older patients in an academic department in Naples, Italy
Department of Dermatology, University of Naples Federico II, Naples, Italy
Dermatitis 19:209-12. 2008
..Exposure patterns change over time because of many factors (sex, age, occupation, fashion trends, official regulations), and the delayed hypersensitivity response depends significantly on the age of the subject...
- Is there a risk of active sensitization to PPD by patch testing the general population?
Jacob Pontoppidan Thyssen
Department of Dermato venerology, National Allergy Research Centre, Gentofte University Hospital, Gentofte, Denmark
Contact Dermatitis 57:133-4. 2007
..These studies indicate that patch testing with PPD in individuals with no previous positive reactions to PPD or with only one previous positive reaction does not cause active sensitization and can be performed with minimal risk...
- Prevalence of patch test results from 1970 to 2002 in a multi-centre population in North America (NACDG)
Shawn H Nguyen
Department of Dermatology, University of California at San Francisco Medical School, San Francisco, CA 94143 0989, USA
Contact Dermatitis 58:101-6. 2008
- A retrospective study of 2585 patients patch tested with the European standard series in Hong Kong (1995-99)
Wai Sun Lam
Social Hygiene Service, Department of Health, and Department of Community and Family Medicine, Chinese University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong, China
Int J Dermatol 47:128-33. 2008
..We aimed to explore the demographic data associated with positive reactions and the profile of contact sensitizing allergens in Hong Kong...
- Multiple positive allergic reactions from patch testing to p-phenylenediamine and azo dyes. Is this a frequent risk and can it be reduced?
S M Winhoven
Whiston Hospital, Prescot, UK
Contact Dermatitis 58:182-3. 2008
- Moustache p-phenylenediamine dye allergic contact dermatitis with distant site involvement - an atypical presentation
Heidi P Chan
Department of Dermatology, University of California, San Francisco, CA 94143 0989, USA
Contact Dermatitis 58:179-80. 2008
- [Allergic contact dermatitis to temporary henna tattoos]
Servicio de Dermatologia, Hospital General Universitario Reina Sofia, Murcia, Espana
Actas Dermosifiliogr 98:91-5. 2007
..Paraphenylenediamine is an aromatic compound that presents cross reactions with other components that have a benzene ring in their molecular structure. Many of these products may be present in the daily life of any person...
- Prevalence of allergic contact dermatitis in Thailand
Department of Dermatology, Faculty of Medicine, Siriraj Hospital, Mahidol University, Bangkok, Thailand
Dermatitis 19:142-5. 2008
..Patch testing is an effective diagnostic tool for clinically suspected allergic contact dermatitis. Previous studies have shown that the prevalence of specific allergens varies by geographic area...
- Comparison of patch test results with a standard series among white and black racial groups
, Aachen, Germany
Am J Contact Dermat 12:77-82. 2001
- Xanthelasma palpebrarum following allergic contact dermatitis from para-phenylenediamine in a black eyelash-tinting product
Department of Dermatology, University Hospital of North Staffordshire NHS Trust, Stoke on Trent, UK
Contact Dermatitis 49:311. 2003
- Dermatitis associated with henna tattoo. "Safe" alternative to permanent tattoos carries risk
Department of Pathology, Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine, Cleveland, USA
Postgrad Med 116:63-5. 2004