Genomes and Genes
Summary: A centrally acting antihypertensive agent. The drug lowers both systolic and diastolic blood pressure by activating the central nervous system alpha-2 adrenoreceptors, which results in reduced sympathetic outflow leading to reduced vascular tone. Its adverse reactions include dry mouth, sedation, and constipation.
Publications166 found, 100 shown here
- The safety of non-stimulant agents for the treatment of attention-deficit hyperactivity disorderSunke Himpel
University of Goettingen, Department of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, Von Siebold Str 5, 37075 Goettingen, Germany
Expert Opin Drug Saf 4:311-21. 2005..This review focuses on the tolerability, occurrence of adverse events, precautions required to prevent severe adverse events, and essential pharmacological interaction in the treatment of ADHD symptoms by non-stimulants...
- alpha2-Adrenergic receptor agonists for the treatment of attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder: emerging concepts from new dataAMY F ARNSTEN
Director of Graduate Studies, Deparment of Neurobiology, Yale Medical School, New Haven, Connecticut 06520 8001, USA
J Child Adolesc Psychopharmacol 17:393-406. 2007..The following provides a brief review of this field, explaining how compounds like guanfacine and the traditional stimulant medications can reduce the core symptoms of ADHD by optimizing the neurochemical ..
- A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study of guanfacine extended release in children and adolescents with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorderJoseph Biederman
Pediatric Psychopharmacology Department, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts 02114, USA
Pediatrics 121:e73-84. 2008With this study we assessed the efficacy and safety of an extended-release formulation of guanfacine compared with placebo for the treatment of children and adolescents with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder.
- Long-term safety and efficacy of guanfacine extended release in children and adolescents with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorderFloyd R Sallee
Department of Psychiatry, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, Ohio 45219, USA
J Child Adolesc Psychopharmacol 19:215-26. 2009Short-term, controlled studies of extended-release guanfacine (GXR), a selective alpha(2A)-adrenoreceptor agonist, demonstrate efficacy in treating attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) symptoms as monotherapy...
- Effect of prazosin and guanfacine on stress-induced reinstatement of alcohol and food seeking in ratsA D Le
Neurobiology of Alcohol Laboratory, Centre for Addiction and Mental Health, 33 Russell Street, Toronto, ON M5S 2S1, Canada
Psychopharmacology (Berl) 218:89-99. 2011..Here, we further addressed this issue by studying the effect of the alpha-1 adrenoceptor antagonist prazosin and the alpha-2 adrenoceptor agonist guanfacine on yohimbine-induced reinstatement.
- Guanfacine extended release in children and adolescents with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder: a placebo-controlled trialFloyd R Sallee
Department of Psychiatry, University of Cincinnati, 231 Albert Sabin Way, ML 0559, Cincinnati, OH 45267, USA
J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 48:155-65. 2009This study compared the efficacy of guanfacine extended release (GXR), a selective alpha(2A)-adrenoceptor agonist, with placebo in children and adolescents with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD).
- Long-term, open-label extension study of guanfacine extended release in children and adolescents with ADHDJ Biederman
Clinical and Research Programs, Pediatric Psychopharmacology and Adult ADHD, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA, USA
CNS Spectr 13:1047-55. 2008b>Guanfacine is a noradrenergic agonist that is believed to improve symptoms of attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) through selective actions at alpha2A-adrenoceptors in the prefrontal cortex...
- Neuronal basis of age-related working memory declineMin Wang
Department of Neurobiology, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut 06510, USA
Nature 476:210-3. 2011..These findings reveal the cellular basis of age-related cognitive decline in dorsolateral PFC, and demonstrate that physiological integrity can be rescued by addressing the molecular needs of PFC circuits...
- Alpha2A-adrenoceptors strengthen working memory networks by inhibiting cAMP-HCN channel signaling in prefrontal cortexMin Wang
Department of Neurobiology, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT 06510 USA
Cell 129:397-410. 2007..In behavioral studies, either blockade or knockdown of HCN1 channels in PFC improved WM performance. These data reveal a powerful mechanism for rapidly altering the strength of WM networks in PFC...
- The use of a membrane filtration device to form dried plasma spots for the quantitative determination of guanfacine in whole bloodYuanyuan Li
Advion Bioanalytical Laboratories, Ithaca, NY, USA
Rapid Commun Mass Spectrom 26:1208-12. 2012..The described procedure is also semi-automated thus providing a simpler work flow for LC/MS/MS bioanalysis procedures...
- An open-label study of guanfacine extended release for traumatic stress related symptoms in children and adolescentsDaniel F Connor
Department of Psychiatry, University of Connecticut Medical School, Farmington, CT 06030, USA
J Child Adolesc Psychopharmacol 23:244-51. 2013The purpose of this open-label pilot study was to investigate the effectiveness and tolerability of guanfacine extended release (GXR) 1-4 mg given in the evening, on the symptoms of traumatic stress (reexperiencing, avoidance, ..
- Guanfacine modulates the influence of emotional cues on prefrontal cortex activation for cognitive controlKurt P Schulz
Department of Psychiatry, The Mount Sinai School of Medicine, One Gustave L Levy Place, New York, NY 10029, USA
Psychopharmacology (Berl) 226:261-71. 2013..Stimulation of postsynaptic α₂ adrenoceptors enhances the function of prefrontal regions in these networks. However, the impact of this stimulation on the emotional biasing of behavior has not been established...
- Safety and effectiveness of coadministration of guanfacine extended release and psychostimulants in children and adolescents with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorderThomas J Spencer
Clinical and Research Program, Pediatric Psychopharmacology, Harvard Medical School and Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
J Child Adolesc Psychopharmacol 19:501-10. 2009The aim of this study was to evaluate the safety and effectiveness of guanfacine extended release (GXR) administered concomitantly with psychostimulants in children and adolescents with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) and ..
- Effects of guanfacine extended release on oppositional symptoms in children aged 6-12 years with attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder and oppositional symptoms: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trialDaniel F Connor
Department of Psychiatry, University of Connecticut School of Medicine, Farmington, Connecticut 06030 1410, USA
CNS Drugs 24:755-68. 2010To evaluate the efficacy and safety of guanfacine extended release (XR, Intuniv; Shire Development Inc...
- Pharmacokinetics of a guanfacine extended-release formulation in children and adolescents with attention-deficit-hyperactivity disorderSamuel W Boellner
Clinical Study Centers, Little Rock, Arkansas, USA
Pharmacotherapy 27:1253-62. 2007To evaluate the single- and multiple-dose pharmacokinetics of an oral extended-release formulation of guanfacine in children and adolescents with a diagnosis of attention-deficit-hyperactivity disorder (ADHD).
- Effects of guanfacine on three forms of distraction in the aging macaqueJ O'NEILL
VA Sepulveda Medical Center, North Hills, CA 91343, USA
Life Sci 67:877-85. 2000alpha-2 adrenoceptor agonists, such as clonidine and guanfacine, enhance attention in aged animals. According to one theory, alpha-2 receptor agonists improve attention by decreasing distractibility to task-irrelevant stimuli...
- Alpha-2 adrenergic challenge with guanfacine one month after mild traumatic brain injury: altered working memory and BOLD responseThomas W McAllister
Section of Neuropsychiatry, Department of Psychiatry, Dartmouth Medical School, Lebanon, NH 03756, USA
Int J Psychophysiol 82:107-14. 2011..Thirteen individuals with MTBI 1month after injury and 14 healthy controls (HC) were challenged with guanfacine and placebo prior to administration of a verbal WM functional MRI task...
- Selective depletion of cortical noradrenaline by anti-dopamine beta-hydroxylase-saporin impairs attentional function and enhances the effects of guanfacine in the ratJean A Milstein
Department of Experimental Psychology, University of Cambridge Behavioural and Clinical Neuroscience Institute, University of Cambridge, Cambridge, UK
Psychopharmacology (Berl) 190:51-63. 2007..This study employed a novel immunotoxin, anti-dopamine-beta hydroylase (DbetaH)-saporin, to make relatively selective lesions of the noradrenergic projections to the prefrontal cortex (PFC) in rats trained to perform the 5CSRT...
- Mutation of the alpha2A-adrenoceptor impairs working memory performance and annuls cognitive enhancement by guanfacineJenna S Franowicz
Department of Neurobiology, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut 06510, USA
J Neurosci 22:8771-7. 2002..The alpha2-AR agonist guanfacine enhances prefrontal cortical functions in rats, monkeys, and human beings and ameliorates prefrontal cortical ..
- Lack of effects of guanfacine on executive and memory functions in healthy male volunteersUlrich Muller
Department of Experimental Psychology, University of Cambridge, Downing Street, Cambridge, CB2 3EB, UK
Psychopharmacology (Berl) 182:205-13. 2005b>Guanfacine is an alpha2-adrenergic receptor agonist that has been shown to have beneficial effects on working memory and attentional functions in monkeys and in patients with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder.
- Possible influence of variant of the P-glycoprotein gene (MDR1/ABCB1) on clinical response to guanfacine in children with pervasive developmental disorders and hyperactivityJames T McCracken
Research Units on Pediatric Psychopharmacology Autism Network, University of California at Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA 90024 1759, USA
J Child Adolesc Psychopharmacol 20:1-5. 2010b>Guanfacine has been shown to reduce hyperactive behaviors in children with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) and possibly in children with pervasive developmental disorder (PDD) and hyperactivity...
- Guanfacine treatment of hyperactivity and inattention in pervasive developmental disorders: a retrospective analysis of 80 casesDavid J Posey
Department of Psychiatry, Indiana University School of Medicine, Riley Hospital for Children, 702 Barnhill Drive, Indianapolis, IN 46202 5200, USA
J Child Adolesc Psychopharmacol 14:233-41. 2004..this study was to retrospectively review a large sample of children and adolescents with pervasive developmental disorders (PDDs) treated with open-label guanfacine in order to gather preliminary data as to its effectiveness and safety.
- Evidence-based pharmacotherapy for attention-deficit hyperactivity disorderJoseph Biederman
Massachusetts General Hospital, ACC 725, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Int J Neuropsychopharmacol 7:77-97. 2004..Further, more research is needed on the efficacy of treatment for comorbid ADHD, use of combined medications, and the combination of medication and psychosocial treatment...
- Neurobiology of executive functions: catecholamine influences on prefrontal cortical functionsAmy F T Arnsten
Department of Neurobiology, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut 06510, USA
Biol Psychiatry 57:1377-84. 2005..Most effective treatments for attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder facilitate catecholamine transmission and likely have their therapeutic actions by optimizing catecholamine actions in prefrontal cortex...
- A controlled trial of extended-release guanfacine and psychostimulants for attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorderTimothy E Wilens
Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA, USA
J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 51:74-85.e2. 2012To examine efficacy, tolerability, and safety of guanfacine extended release (GXR; ≤4 mg/d) adjunctive to a long-acting psychostimulant for the treatment of attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) in children and adolescents 6 ..
- Alpha2A-adrenoceptor stimulation improves prefrontal cortical regulation of behavior through inhibition of cAMP signaling in aging animalsBrian P Ramos
Department of Neurobiology, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut 06510, USA
Learn Mem 13:770-6. 2006..Thus, the alpha2A-adrenoceptor agonist, guanfacine, greatly improves working-memory performance in monkeys and rats following systemic administration or intra-PFC ..
- Effects of α-2A adrenergic receptor agonist on time and risk preference in primatesSoyoun Kim
Department of Neurobiology, Yale University School of Medicine, 333 Cedar Street, SHM B404, New Haven, CT 06510, USA
Psychopharmacology (Berl) 219:363-75. 2012..In particular, the α-2A noradrenergic system is known to have a key influence on prefrontal cortical circuits, and medications that stimulate this receptor are currently in use for the treatment of ADHD...
- Guanfacine potentiates the activation of prefrontal cortex evoked by warning signalsSuzanne M Clerkin
Department of Psychiatry, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York 10029, USA
Biol Psychiatry 66:307-12. 2009..We tested the role that postsynaptic alpha(2A) adrenoceptors play in the activation of DLPFC evoked by warning cues using a placebo-controlled challenge with the alpha(2A) agonist guanfacine.
- Neuropsychiatric effects of guanfacine in children with mild tourette syndrome: a pilot studyDana D Cummings
Department of Neurology, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Clin Neuropharmacol 25:325-32. 2002The objective of this study was to evaluate the neuropsychiatric effects of the alpha-2a adrenergic agonist guanfacine in children with Tourette syndrome (TS)...
- Syncope in children with Tourette's syndrome treated with guanfacineAllison King
Department of Neurology, University of Rochester Medical Center, Rochester, New York 14620, USA
Mov Disord 21:419-20. 2006We report on 4 children who experienced a syncopal episode while being treated with guanfacine without any other evident cause...
- Guanfacine treatment of cognitive impairment in schizophreniaJ I Friedman
Department of Psychiatry, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY 10029, USA
Neuropsychopharmacology 25:402-9. 2001..b>Guanfacine has demonstrated efficacy in reversing working memory deficits in non-human primate...
- A placebo-controlled study of guanfacine in the treatment of children with tic disorders and attention deficit hyperactivity disorderL Scahill
Yale Child Study Center, New Haven, CT 06520, USA
Am J Psychiatry 158:1067-74. 2001This study evaluated the efficacy and safety of guanfacine in treating children with tic disorders and attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD).
- Effects of extended-release guanfacine on ADHD symptoms and sedation-related adverse events in children with ADHDStephen V Faraone
SUNY Upstate Medical University, Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, 750 East AdamsStreet, Syracuse, NY, USA
J Atten Disord 13:532-8. 2010b>Guanfacine extended release (GXR) is a selective alpha(2A)-adrenoceptor agonist that is shown to be an effective nonstimulant treatment for the symptoms of attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder...
- Guanfacine and secondary mania in childrenJ P Horrigan
Division of Child Psychiatry, UNC Hospitals, Chapel Hill 27599 7160, USA
J Affect Disord 54:309-14. 1999b>Guanfacine hydrochloride is an alpha-2 adrenergic agonist, which has gained recent attention in the field of child and adolescent psychiatry...
- Psychomotor functioning and alertness with guanfacine extended release in subjects with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorderScott H Kollins
Duke ADHD Program, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina 27705, USA
J Child Adolesc Psychopharmacol 21:111-20. 2011To determine whether treatment with guanfacine extended release (GXR) in subjects with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) disrupted psychomotor functioning and alertness, or impacted daytime sleepiness.
- An open-label, prospective study of guanfacine in children with ADHD and tic disordersVitharon Boon-Yasidhi
Division of Child Psychiatry, Department of Pediatrics, Faculty of Medicine, Siriraj Hospital, Bangkok, Thailand
J Med Assoc Thai 88:S156-62. 2005To evaluate the efficacy and safety of guanfacine in children with attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) and tic disorders.
- Noradrenergic modulation of space exploration in visual neglectParesh A Malhotra
Division of Neuroscience, Imperial College London, Charing Cross Hospital, London W6 8RF, UK
Ann Neurol 59:186-90. 2006..Visual neglect after stroke is often associated with a failure to explore contralesional space. Here, we show that guanfacine, a noradrenergic agonist that modulates dorsolateral prefrontal cortex, improves leftward space exploration in ..
- Guanfacine produces differential effects in frontal cortex compared with striatum: assessed by phMRI BOLD contrastNeil Easton
School of Biomedical Sciences, Medical School, Institute of Neuroscience, University of Nottingham, Queens Medical Centre, Nottingham, NG7 2UH, UK
Psychopharmacology (Berl) 189:369-85. 2006b>Guanfacine (an alpha-(2A) adrenoreceptor agonist) is a drug of benefit in the treatment of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) (Taylor FB, Russo J, J Clin Psychopharmacol 21:223-228, 2001)...
- Comparing guanfacine and dextroamphetamine for the treatment of adult attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorderF B Taylor
Rainier Associates, Tacoma, Washington 98467, USA
J Clin Psychopharmacol 21:223-8. 2001The objective of this study was to compare the efficacy of the alpha-2a agonist guanfacine with that of dextroamphetamine for the treatment of adult attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD)...
- A phase I, randomized, open-label, crossover study of the single-dose pharmacokinetic properties of guanfacine extended-release 1-, 2-, and 4-mg tablets in healthy adultsDennis Swearingen
MDS Pharma Services, Phoenix, Arizona 85044, USA
Clin Ther 29:617-25. 2007b>Guanfacine is an alpha(2)-adrenoreceptor agonist used to treat children and adults with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder. An extended-release formulation of guanfacine is currently under development.
- A prospective open trial of guanfacine in children with pervasive developmental disordersLawrence Scahill
Yale Child Study Center, P O Box 207900, New Haven, CT 06520, USA
J Child Adolesc Psychopharmacol 16:589-98. 2006A common complaint for children with pervasive developmental disorder (PDD) is hyperactivity. The purpose of this pilot study was to gather preliminary information on the efficacy of guanfacine in children with PDD and hyperactivity.
- The effects of guanfacine on context processing abnormalities in schizotypal personality disorderMargaret M McClure
VA VISN3 Mental Illness Research, Education, and Clinical Center, Bronx, New York 10468, USA
Biol Psychiatry 61:1157-60. 2007..b>Guanfacine, an alpha2A agonist that acts post-synaptically in the prefrontal cortex (PFC), has shown potential for reducing ..
- Guanfacine in children with autism and/or intellectual disabilitiesBenjamin L Handen
University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
J Dev Behav Pediatr 29:303-8. 2008..In addition, evidence suggests that children with developmental disabilities experience higher rates of adverse events. Guanfacine, an alpha2-adrenergic receptor agonist, has shown some promise as an alternative to psychostimulants.
- Phase I, double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled, dose-escalation study of the effects on blood pressure of abrupt cessation versus taper down of guanfacine extended-release tablets in adults aged 19 to 24 yearsJames C Kisicki
MDS Pharma Services, Lincoln, Nebraska 68502, USA
Clin Ther 29:1967-79. 2007b>Guanfacine hydrochloride is an alpha(2a)-adrenoreceptor agonist found to be effective in the treatment of attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD)...
- Enhanced visuomotor associative learning following stimulation of alpha 2A-adrenoceptors in the ventral prefrontal cortex in monkeysMin Wang
Laboratory of Higher Brain Functions, Institute of Neurobiology, Fudan University, 220 Han Dan Road, Shanghai 200433, China
Brain Res 1024:176-82. 2004The present study investigated the effect of locally infused guanfacine, an alpha2A-adrenergic agonist, into the ventral prefrontal cortex (PFv) on visuomotor associative learning...
- Attention deficits following ADEM ameliorated by guanfacineVictoria Singh-Curry
UCL Institute of Cognitive Neuroscience, 17 Queen Square, London, WC1N 3AR, UK
J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 82:688-90. 2011..Treatment with the noradrenergic agonist guanfacine, previously used for attention deficits in attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder and stroke, was associated ..
- Guanfacine extended release in the treatment of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder in children and adolescentsD F Connor
University of Connecticut School of Medicine, Farmington, Connecticut 06030 1410, USA
Drugs Today (Barc) 46:299-314. 2010Extended-release guanfacine (Intuniv) is a novel long-acting, once-daily formulation of guanfacine indicated for attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) in 6 to 17 year old children and adolescents...
- Guanfacine effects on stress, drug craving and prefrontal activation in cocaine dependent individuals: preliminary findingsHelen C Fox
The Connecticut Mental Health Center, Yale University School of Medicine, Department of Psychiatry, New Haven, CT, USA
J Psychopharmacol 26:958-72. 2012..As these changes are associated with relapse risk, we investigated the effects of α2 receptor agonist guanfacine on these processes...
- The effects of an alpha-2 adrenergic agonist, guanfacine, on rCBF in human cortex in normal controls and subjects with focal epilepsyB E Swartz
University of California Los Angeles, Neurology Department, CA, USA
Neuropsychopharmacology 23:263-75. 2000..We have undertaken this study to determine the effect of an alpha-2 agonist, guanfacine, on regional cerebral blood flow (rCBF) in humans...
- Noradrenergic alpha-2 receptor agonists reverse working memory deficits induced by the anxiogenic drug, FG7142, in ratsS G Birnbaum
Section of Neurobiology, Yale University School of Medicine, P O Box 208001, New Haven, CT 06520 8001, USA
Pharmacol Biochem Behav 67:397-403. 2000..memory deficits by comparing the efficacy of clonidine with the more selective alpha-2A adrenoceptor agonist, guanfacine. The anxiogenic drug, FG7142 (0, 10, 20, or 30 mg/kg), dose-dependently impaired delayed alternation performance...
- The alpha(2A)-adrenergic agonist guanfacine improves visuomotor associative learning in monkeysMin Wang
Laboratory of Higher Brain Functions, Institute of Neurobiology, Fudan University, Shanghai 200433, The People s Republic of China
Neuropsychopharmacology 29:86-92. 2004..Systemically administered guanfacine, a selective alpha(2A)-adrenergic agonist, improved the monkeys' learning ability: trials and errors to the ..
- An antihypokinesic action of alpha2-adrenoceptors upon MPTP-induced behaviour deficits in miceT Archer
Department of Psychology, University of Goteborg, Sweden
J Neural Transm 110:183-200. 2003..directly-acting, mixed dopamine (DA) agonist, apomorphine, with the alpha-adrenoceptor agonists, clonidine and guanfacine, upon the motor activity of hypoactive L-Dopa-tolerant MPTP-treated C57 BL/6 mice were measured in four ..
- G-protein-coupled alpha2A-adrenoreceptor agonists differentially alter citrus leaf and fruit abscission by affecting expression of ACC synthase and ACC oxidaseRongcai Yuan
University of Florida, Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences, Citrus Research and Education Center, 700 Experiment Station Road, Lake Alfred, FL 33850 2299, USA
J Exp Bot 56:1867-75. 2005..abscission after treatment with 2-chloroethylphosphonic acid (ethephon) alone or in combination with guanfacine or clonidine, two G-protein-coupled alpha(2A)-adrenoreceptor selective agonists...
- Role of alpha 2-adrenoceptors and imidazoline receptors in the A5 region in the regulation of renal function in the ratS Brian Penner
Departments of Pharmacology and Therapeutics and Internal Medicine, University of Manitoba, 753 McDermot Avenue, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada R3E 0T6
Proc West Pharmacol Soc 45:11-2. 2002
- Alpha 2-adrenoceptor stimulation in the periventricular nucleus increases urine flow rate with minimal effects on blood pressureS Brian Penner
Departments of Pharmacology and Therapeutics and Internal Medicine, University of Manitoba, 753 McDermot Avenue, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada R3E 0T6
Proc West Pharmacol Soc 45:13-4. 2002
- New developments in the treatment of ADHDJoseph Biederman
Dept of Psychiatry, Massachusetts General Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA
J Clin Psychiatry 67:148-59. 2006
- No improvement of posttraumatic stress disorder symptoms with guanfacine treatmentThomas C Neylan
Department of Psychiatry, University of California, San Francisco, USA
Am J Psychiatry 163:2186-8. 2006The authors report an 8-week, double-blind, randomized controlled trial of guanfacine versus placebo for posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD).
- Actions of alpha-2 noradrenergic agonists on spatial working memory and blood pressure in rhesus monkeys appear to be mediated by the same receptor subtypeJenna S Franowicz
Department of Neurobiology, Yale University School of Medicine, 333 Cedar Street, New Haven, CT 06520 8001, USA
Psychopharmacology (Berl) 162:304-12. 2002..alpha-2 Agonists are also known to decrease blood pressure significantly. Recent evidence using genetically altered mice indicates that the alpha-2A receptor subtype mediates this decrease in blood pressure...
- Mechanism of action of agents used in attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorderTimothy E Wilens
Pediatric Psychopharmacology Unit, Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02114, USA
J Clin Psychiatry 67:32-8. 2006..Elucidating the various mechanisms of action of ADHD medications may lead to better choices in matching potential response to the characteristics (e.g., genotype) of individuals...
- Treatment of hyperactivity in children with pervasive developmental disordersLawrence Scahill
Child Study Center, Yale University, New Haven, CT, USA
J Child Adolesc Psychiatr Nurs 20:59-62. 2007
- Epidemiology and toxicity of pediatric guanfacine exposuresJean C McGrath
Maryland Poison Center, University of Maryland School of Pharmacy, Baltimore, MD, USA
Ann Pharmacother 36:1698-703. 2002To examine the epidemiology and toxicity of guanfacine exposures in children and adolescents reported to poison control centers.
- Effects of alpha(2)-adrenergic agonists on lipopolysaccharide-induced aqueous flare elevation in pigmented rabbitsK Watanabe
Department of Ophthalmology, Faculty of Medicine, Toyama Medical and Pharmaceutical University, Toyama, Japan
Jpn J Ophthalmol 45:221-6. 2001PURPOSE: To evaluate the effects of the alpha(2)-adrenergic agonists (clonidine, apraclonidine, and guanfacine) on lipopolysaccharide (LPS)-induced aqueous flare elevation in pigmented rabbits...
- Relative contribution of intracellular and extracellular Ca2+ to alpha2-adrenoceptor-mediated contractions of ovine pulmonary arteryK Sathishkumar
Division of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Indian Veterinary Research Institute, Izatnagar 243 122 UP, India
Pharmacol Res 54:219-25. 2006We have examined the mechanism of contractions elicited by guanfacine, a selective agonist for alpha(2A/D)-adrenoceptors and its modulations by cyclic nucleotides in isolated ovine resistance intra-pulmonary artery...
- Centrally acting antihypertensive agents: an updateDomenic A Sica
Division of Nephrology, Medical College of Virginia, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, VA 23298 0160, USA
J Clin Hypertens (Greenwich) 9:399-405. 2007..Escalating doses of drugs in this class often give rise to salt and water retention, in which case diuretic therapy becomes a valuable adjunctive therapy...
- Yohimbine disrupts prepulse inhibition in rats via action at 5-HT1A receptors, not alpha2-adrenoceptorsSusan B Powell
Department of Psychiatry, University of California, San Diego, 9500 Gilman Dr, La Jolla, CA 92093 0804, USA
Psychopharmacology (Berl) 180:491-500. 2005..The noradrenergic system appears to play a role in PPI as the alpha1 agonist cirazoline disrupts PPI and the alpha1 antagonist prazosin blocks the disruptions in PPI produced by phencyclidine...
- Alpha-2 adrenoceptor activation inhibits phencyclidine-induced deficits of spatial working memory in ratsWilliam Marrs
Department of Psychology, University of California at Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA 90095 1563, USA
Neuropsychopharmacology 30:1500-10. 2005..but not clonidine, were reduced in noradrenaline-depleted rats. In addition, the alpha-2A-preferring agonist guanfacine (0.05-1.0 mg/kg, s.c...
- The alpha2-adrenergic agonist guanfacine reduces excitability of human motor cortex through disfacilitation and increase of inhibitionAlexei Korchounov
Clinic of Neurology, Johann Wolfgang Goethe University Frankfurt, Theodor Stern Kai 7, D 60590, Frankfurt, Germany
Clin Neurophysiol 114:1834-40. 2003To test the acute effects of the alpha2-adrenoceptor agonist guanfacine (GFC) on motor excitability in intact humans.
- Growth hormone response to guanfacine in boys with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder: a preliminary studyJeffrey M Halperin
Department of Psychology, Queens College of the City University of New York, New York, New York 11367, USA
J Child Adolesc Psychopharmacol 13:283-94. 2003..function in children via the growth hormone response to a single dose of the alpha-2 adrenergic receptor agonist guanfacine and examined whether this measure distinguishes between attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) boys ..
- Different affinities of alpha 2-agonists for imidazoline and alpha 2-adrenergic receptorsI Coupry
U7 INSERM/UA 318 CNRS, Department of Pharmacology, , Paris, France
Am J Hypertens 2:468-70. 1989..inhibition of radioligand binding to basolateral membranes was rilmenidine greater than clonidine greater than guanfacine and clonidine greater than guanfacine greater than rilmenidine for 3H-RX 781094 and 3H-rauwolscine binding, ..
- Epinephrine reduces the nerve conduction blockage induced by high-potassium in mammalian sciatic nerveEduardo D Martin
Cátedra de Neurociencia, Facultad de Medicina, Universidad Nacional de Tucuman, Tucuman, Argentina
Brain Res 983:237-41. 2003..agonist isoproterenol mimicked the EN effect while the alpha-adrenoreceptor agonists phenylephrine and guanfacine did not affect the CAPs reduction...
- Loss of glutamatergic pyramidal neurons in frontal and temporal cortex resulting from attenuation of FGFR1 signaling is associated with spontaneous hyperactivity in miceDana M Shin
Child Study Center, Yale University, New Haven, Connecticut 06520, USA
J Neurosci 24:2247-58. 2004..alterations in subcortical monoaminergic systems, because transgenic animals responded to both amphetamine and guanfacine, an alpha2A adrenergic receptor agonist...
- [Tourette syndrome: an analysis of its comorbidity and specific treatment]F X Castellanos
Institute of Pediatric Neuroscience, NYU Child Study Center, New York NY 10016 6404, USA
Rev Neurol 38:S124-30. 2004..CONCLUSIONS: Treatment of Tourette syndrome combined with ADHD is often challenging. Alpha 2 agonists, such as guanfacine, or non stimulant options such as atomoxetine, where available, are worth considering, although many individuals ..
- Potential noradrenergic targets for cognitive enhancement in schizophreniaJoseph I Friedman
Department of Psychiatry, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY, USA
CNS Spectr 9:350-5. 2004..of post-junctional alpha 2a-adrenergic receptors in the prefrontal cortex by the alpha 2a-selective agonist guanfacine has demonstrated some preliminary benefit in subjects with schizophrenia treated with atypical antipsychotics...
- Pharmacological management of attention-deficit hyperactivity disorderGloria Reeves
University of Maryland School of Medicine, Division of Child Psychiatry, Department of Psychiatry, 701 W Pratt St, Baltimore, MD 21201, USA
Expert Opin Pharmacother 5:1313-20. 2004..The authors conclude that there is a need for additional direct comparisons between the longer-acting agents to effectively guide the practicing clinician...
- [Centrally-acting antihypertensive drugs]Shuichi Takishita
Division of Cardiovascular Medicine, Nephrology and Neurology, University of Ryukyus School of Medicine
Nihon Rinsho 62:591-5. 2004
- [Selectivity of alpha 2-adrenergic agonists for the imidazoline-guanidine and alpha 2-adrenergic receptors]V Lachaud
U 7 INSERM/UA 318 CNRS, , , Paris
Arch Mal Coeur Vaiss 82:1135-7. 1989..5 +/- 1.5 nM. In order to define the relative affinity of the alpha-2-agonists, clonidine, rilmenidine and guanfacine for the two classes of receptors, we performed competition studies of the alpha 2-antagonists 3H-RX 781094 (..
- Impaired visuospatial divided attention in the spontaneously hypertensive ratJ David Jentsch
Department of Psychology and the Brain Research Institute, University of California at Los Angeles, Los Angeles, UCLA, P O Box 951563, Los Angeles, California 90095 1563, USA
Behav Brain Res 157:323-30. 2005..The alpha-2 agonist guanfacine, which is used clinically to treat symptoms of AD/HD, was without effect on the performance of either SHR or ..
- Methylphenidate an effective treatment for ADHD?Christopher J McDougle
J Autism Dev Disord 34:593-4. 2004
- Alpha 2A-adrenoceptor-specific stimulation of [35S]GTP gamma S binding to membrane preparations of rat frontal cortexOliver Pulges
Institute of Organic and Bioorganic Chemistry, University of Tartu, Jakobi Str 2, 51014 Tartu, Estonia
Neurochem Res 33:477-82. 2008..alpha 2A agonists UK14304 and guanfacine decreased the ability of GDP to compete with [35S]GTP gamma S binding to the membranes and 0...
- Noradrenergic alpha-2 agonists have anxiolytic-like actions on stress-related behavior and mesoprefrontal dopamine biochemistryBret A Morrow
Laboratory of Neuropsychopharmacology, Department of Psychiatry, Yale University School of Medicine, 333 Cedar St, New Haven, CT 06520 8066, USA
Brain Res 1027:173-8. 2004..Here, we test this hypothesis using clonidine or guanfacine (GFC), another alpha-2 agonist, in a model of aversive conditioning that selectively activates the ..
- Stimulation of alpha2-adrenoceptors suppresses excitatory synaptic transmission in the medial prefrontal cortex of ratXiao Hua Ji
Institute of Neurobiology, Institutes of Brain Science, Fudan University, Shanghai, China
Neuropsychopharmacology 33:2263-71. 2008..Alpha2-adrenergic agonists like clonidine and guanfacine have been used experimentally and clinically for treatment of psychiatric disorders such as attention-deficit/..
- Stimulation of interleukin-12 production in mouse macrophages via activation of p38 mitogen-activated protein kinase by alpha2-adrenoceptor agonistsBok Yun Kang
Immunology Laboratory, College of Pharmacy and Research Institute of Drug Development, Chonnam National University, Kwangju 500 757, Republic of Korea
Eur J Pharmacol 467:223-31. 2003..alpha(2)-adrenoceptor agonists such as clonidine, guanfacine, and oxymetazoline significantly induced interleukin-12 secretion and interleukin-12 mRNA expression by ..
- Mania induction associated with atomoxetineTheodore A Henderson
J Clin Psychopharmacol 24:567-8. 2004
- Pharmacological options for the treatment of Tourette's disorderF J Jimenez-Jimenez
Department of Medicine Neurology, Hospital Principe de Asturias, Universidad de Alcala, Alcala De Henares Madrid, and Neuro Magister S L Company, Madrid, Spain
Drugs 61:2207-20. 2001..Other potentially useful drugs for the treatment of ADHD in patients with Tourette's disorder are clonidine, guanfacine, selegiline, some tricyclic antidepressants, sertraline, pimozide and clonazepam...
- Frontotemporal dementia: recommendations for therapeutic studies, designs, and approachesMorris Freedman
Division of Neurology and Rotman Research Institute, Baycrest
Can J Neurol Sci 34:S118-24. 2007..moclobemide, methylphenidate, piracetam, rivastigmine, donepezil, olanzapine, risperidone, amantadine, guanfacine, allopurinol, and bromocriptine...
- Toward a new understanding of attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder pathophysiology: an important role for prefrontal cortex dysfunctionAmy F T Arnsten
Department of Neurobiology, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut 06510, USA
CNS Drugs 23:33-41. 2009..Conversely, drugs that enhance alpha(2)-receptor stimulation improve PFC function. Guanfacine directly stimulates postsynaptic alpha(2A)-receptors in the PFC and improves functioning, while methylphenidate ..
- Novel hypotensive agents from Verbesina caracasana: structure, synthesis and pharmacologyBruno Botta
Dipartimento di Studi di Chimica e Tecnologia delle Sostanze Biologicamente Attive, Universit La Sapienza, 00185 Roma, Italy
Curr Med Chem 10:1845-62. 2003..As a result, compounds such as guanethidine, guanabenz, guanfacine, and pinacidil have been introduced in antihypertensive drug therapy...
- Presynaptic autoregulation of norepinephrine release from the sympathetic nerve fibers in the pineal gland of the domestic pig. Pharmacological characterization of alpha(2)adrenoceptors mediating this processBogdan Lewczuk
Department of Histology and Embryology, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, University of Warmia and Mazury in Olsztyn, Poland
Neuro Endocrinol Lett 23:111-7. 2002..Norepinephrine is the main neurotransmitter controlling melatonin secretion in the mammalian pineal gland. Presynaptic autoregulation of norepinephrine release from the sympathetic nerve fibers in the pineal gland is poorly known...
- [Models of drug treatment in the attention deficit disorder with hyperactivity]M C Etchepareborda
Laboratorio para el estudio de las Funciones Cerebrales Superiores, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Rev Neurol 34:S98-S106. 2002..In recent years various drug protocols have been used for the treatment of nuclear symptoms and comorbid states of the attention deficit disorder with hyperactivity...
- The alpha-2 antagonists idazoxan and rauwolscine but not yohimbine or piperoxan are anxiolytic in the Vogel lick-shock conflict paradigm following intravenous administrationS La Marca
Anaquest, Inc, Murray Hill, NJ 07974
Life Sci 54:PL179-84. 1994..5 mg/kg). However, the alpha 2 antagonists yohimbine and piperoxan, the alpha 2 agonists medetomidine, guanfacine, and guanabenz, the non-specific alpha antagonist phentolamine, and the alpha 1 antagonist prazosin did not ..
- New treatments for tic disordersMohammad M Qasaymeh
Child Neurology, Box 631, University of Rochester Medical Center, 601 Elmwood Avenue, Rochester, NY 14642, USA
Curr Treat Options Neurol 8:465-73. 2006..For tics of moderate severity, clonidine and guanfacine have a reasonable safety profile. They are considered as first-line medications. With clonidine, start with 0...
- Src family kinases mediate the inhibition of substance P release in the rat spinal cord by μ-opioid receptors and GABA(B) receptors, but not α2 adrenergic receptorsGuohua Zhang
Center for Neurobiology of Stress, CURE Digestive Diseases Research Center, Division of Digestive Diseases, Department of Medicine, David Geffen School of Medicine at the University of California Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA, USA
Eur J Neurosci 32:963-73. 2010..PP1 produced no effect by itself. The α(2) adrenergic agonists medetomidine and guanfacine produced a small but statistically significant inhibition of NK1R internalization induced by low-frequency ..
- Pharmacologic management of Alzheimer disease, Part II: Antioxidants, antihypertensives, and ergoloid derivativesB L Flynn
Department of Pharmaceutical and Administrative Sciences, School of Pharmacy and Allied Health Professions, Creighton University, St Joseph Villa Nursing Center, Omaha, NE 68178, USA
Ann Pharmacother 33:188-97. 1999..about research evaluating antioxidants in Alzheimer disease (AD) and to discuss the potential role of beta-blockers, angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitors, clonidine, guanfacine, nimodipine, and ergoloid derivatives in AD therapy.
- Carbamazepine-induced hyperammonemiaErin N Adams
Bernard J Dunn School of Pharmacy, Shenandoah University, 1775 North Sector Court, Winchester, VA 22601, USA
Am J Health Syst Pharm 66:1468-70. 2009..A case of carbamazepine-induced hyperammonemia is presented...
- Pharmacological and therapeutic directions in ADHD: Specificity in the PFCFlorence Levy
School of Psychiatry, University of New South Wales, Prince of Wales Hospital, Sydney, NSW 2031, Australia
Behav Brain Funct 4:12. 2008..data suggest a possible hierarchy of specificity in the current medications used in the treatment of ADHD, with guanfacine likely to be most specific for the treatment of prefrontal attentional and working memory deficits...
- Pharmacotherapy of pervasive developmental disorders in children and adolescentsGabriele Masi
IRCCS Stella Maris, Scientific Institute of Child Neurology and Psychiatry, Calambrone, Pisa, Italy
CNS Drugs 18:1031-52. 2004..of other psychotropic medications, such as the opioid antagonists, alpha-adrenoceptor agonists (clonidine and guanfacine), psychostimulants, mood stabilisers, glutamatergic compounds (lamotrigine, amantadine), buspirone, and secretin...
- Neuroleptic malignant syndrome secondary to quetiapineJustine Schuller Gortney
Department of Pharmacy Practice, Mercer University, Atlanta, GA, USA
Ann Pharmacother 43:785-91. 2009..To report a case of neuroleptic malignant syndrome (NMS) secondary to quetiapine in which the patient developed extrapyramidal symptoms (EPS)...
- Attention-deficit-hyperactivity disorder: an updateJulie A Dopheide
Titus Family Department of Clinical Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Economics and Policy, School of Pharmacy, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, California 90033, USA
Pharmacotherapy 29:656-79. 2009..Other drug options include clonidine and guanfacine, but both can cause bradycardia and sedation...
- Presynaptic alpha 2-adrenoceptors exclusively sensitive to agonists of phenylethylamine structure on the sympathetic nerves of the human gall bladder arteryJ Kapocsi
Institute of Experimental Medicine, Hungarian Academy of Sciences, Budapest
Neurosci Res 4:413-8. 1987..27 +/- 0.05; 0.43 +/- 0.04, respectively), whilst clonidine, xylazine and guanfacine at 10(-6) M failed to affect the stimulation evoked release of [3H]noradrenaline...
- Guanfacine overdose resulting in initial hypertension and subsequent delayed, persistent orthostatic hypotensionAlicia B Minns
Division of Medical Toxicology, Department of Emergency Medicine, University of California San Diego, 200 West Arbor Drive, San Diego, CA 92103 8925, USA
Clin Toxicol (Phila) 48:146-8. 2010b>Guanfacine is an alpha(2)-adrenoreceptor agonist used for the treatment of attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder and tic disorders. Few reports exist regarding overdose with guanfacine.
- Delineation of three pharmacological subtypes of alpha 2-adrenoceptor in the rat kidneyS Uhlen
Department of Pharmacology, Umea University, Sweden
Br J Pharmacol 104:657-64. 1991..Of the 14 compounds tested, oxymetazoline and guanfacine were found to bind with low affinities to both of the alpha 2B1- and alpha 2B2-adrenoceptor but with high ..
- Regulation of alpha2A-adrenergic receptor signaling and trafficking by spinophiliQin Wang; Fiscal Year: 2013..In addition to epinephrine (an endogenous ligand), we will study ?2AAR trafficking induced by clonidine and guanfacine (two ?2-agonists commonly used in the clinic)...
- Does doxazosin attenuate stress-induced smoking and improve clinical outcomes?SHERRY ANN MCKEE; Fiscal Year: 2012..human laboratory model to examine stress- precipitated smoking lapse behavior, we have demonstrated that guanfacine, which reduces the noradrenergic tone by stimulating the alpha-2 adrenergic receptors, increased the ability to ..
- Yale SCOR on Gender-Sensitive Treatment for Tobacco DependenceSHERRY ANN MCKEE; Fiscal Year: 2013..different brain systems modulated by noradrenergic activity are activated by smoking in women and men, and (b) guanfacine (an alpha-2a noradrenergic agonist) can preferentially target these gender-sensitive systems to improve smoking ..
- Cognitive Processes for Pharmacotherapy Development and Treatment Outcome IncocaHELEN CECILIA FOX; Fiscal Year: 2013..b>Guanfacine hydrochloride is an alpha2 adrenergic agonist, which centrally inhibits norepinephrine (NE)-related stress ..
- Input-specific Regulation of Transmission by Alpha2A Adrenergic ReceptorsSTEPHANIE FLAVIN; Fiscal Year: 2013..Previous work has shown that the [unreadable]2A -AR agonist, guanfacine, depresses excitatory neuronal transmission in the BNST...
- Molecular and Cellular Basis of Cognitive Aging in Prefrontal Cortical NetworksAmy F T Arnsten; Fiscal Year: 2012..in NE axons, a2A-AR, and HCN channels in the aging PFC, and will test whether chronic stimulation of a2A-AR with guanfacine will slow working memory impairment and spine loss in aging rats and monkeys...
- Phase-II Clinical Trial Evaluating Guanfacine for Smoking CessationSHERRY ANN MCKEE; Fiscal Year: 2013..Modeling the effect of stress on smoking behavior, we have demonstrated that 3mg/day guanfacine, an alpha2a noradrenergic agonist, compared to placebo was well tolerated, robustly increased the ability to ..
- Biobehavioral Studies of Opioid Seeking BehaviorMark K Greenwald; Fiscal Year: 2013..Aim 3. Determine whether neuromodulating agents at 12A-adrenergic (guanfacine 1 mg), 5-HT1A (buspirone 30 mg), CB1 (cannabidiol 1000 mg), and GABAB (baclofen 40 mg) receptors differentially ..
- Alleviating Opioid-Induced Hyperalgesia with Novel PharmacotherapyJianren Mao; Fiscal Year: 2013..Among FDA-approved alpha2-AR agonists (e.g., clonidine, dexmedetomidine, tizanidine), guanfacine possesses a stable cardiovascular side effect profile, is used in a single daily dose regimen, and has been used ..
- 3/4-RUPP Autism Network: Guanfacine for the Treatment of Hyperactivity in PDDJames T McCracken; Fiscal Year: 2013..b>Guanfacine is commonly used in this population, but poorly studied...
- 1/4-RUPP Autism Network: Guanfacine for the Treatment of Hyperactivity in PDDChristopher J McDougle; Fiscal Year: 2013..b>Guanfacine is commonly used in this population, but poorly studied...
- 2/4-RUPP Autism Network: Guanfacine for the Treatment of Hyperactivity in PDDBryan H King; Fiscal Year: 2013..b>Guanfacine is commonly used in this population, but poorly studied...
- Guanfacine Treatment for Prefrontal Cognitive Dysfunction in Elderly SubjectsChristopher H van Dyck; Fiscal Year: 2010..The alpha-2A-agonist, guanfacine, is well-tolerated and has already demonstrated benefit in patients with attention deficit hyperactivity ..
- Insulin, Norepinephrine, and Working Memory in AgingG Watson; Fiscal Year: 2009..In monkeys, the alpha2A adrenergic receptor (AR) agonist guanfacine facilitates spatial working memory...
- ADHD Phenotype Network: Animal Model to Clinical TrialFloyd Sallee; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- CLONIDINE IN ADHDFloyd Sallee; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- COGNITIVE LOSS WITH AGE--ROLE OF CORTICAL CATECHOLAMINESAmy Arnsten; Fiscal Year: 2007..Based on our research, the alpha-2 agonist, guanfacine, is now used to treat ADHD, but side effects still limit use in the elderly...
- Estrogen, Stress and Dysfunction of Prefrontal CortexAmy Arnsten; Fiscal Year: 2005..This research will begin to reveal how estrogen amplifies the neurochemical cascades that lead to activation of CREB and dysfunction of the PFC during stress ..
- Cocaine Withdrawal and Pharmacotherapy ResponseMehmet Sofuoglu; Fiscal Year: 2010..This proposal, by testing the efficacy of carvedilol and investigating the influence of withdrawal severity on carvedilol's efficacy, may result in development of more effective treatments for cocaine addiction. ..
- Progestrone and the Effects of NicotineMehmet Sofuoglu; Fiscal Year: 2006..By characterizing the progesterone effects on nicotine dependence, this study may provide a better understanding of the mechanisms which mediate the sex and menstrual cycle phase effects on nicotine dependence. ..
- GABA Medications for Tobacco AddictionMehmet Sofuoglu; Fiscal Year: 2009..The findings of this study will provide valuable information to develop new pharmacotherapies for smoking cessation. ..
- Adult Outcome of Attention Deficit Hyperactivity DisorderJoseph Biederman; Fiscal Year: 2007..For these reasons, we expect the proposed work to clarify the course and outcome of ADHD. ..
- Collaborative Pediatric Bipolar Disorder ConferenceJoseph Biederman; Fiscal Year: 2007..While the proposed conference does not intend to solve all outstanding problems associated with pediatric bipolar disorder, it will provide a forum to begin formulating a solution. ..
- RUPP-PI Program at Yale UniversityLawrence Scahill; Fiscal Year: 2006..Furthermore, this five-site network has established reliability on several measures that are relevant to the conduct of clinical trials in children with PDD. ..
- Behavior Therapy for Adults with Tourette SyndromeLawrence Scahill; Fiscal Year: 2009..The Informatics group at Yale University will provide data management services. ..
- Course of psychopathology in female youth: Analysis with extant longitudinal dataJoseph Biederman; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- PREVENTION OF CIGARETTE SMOKING IN ADHD YOUTHJoseph Biederman; Fiscal Year: 2001..Since there are estimated to be 3.5 million children with ADHD and 20% have been shown to be smokers, targeting this group could potentially impact 700,000 children and adolescents. ..
- LONGITUDINAL FOLLOW UP OF ADHD GIRLS AND THEIR SIBLINGSJoseph Biederman; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- Anger Control Training for Youth with Tourette SyndromeLarry Scahill; Fiscal Year: 2005..This design will permit demonstration of a clinically relevant effect size for anger control training in adolescents with TS. ..
- Juvenile Bipolar Disorder and Substance AbuseTimothy E Wilens; Fiscal Year: 2010..Since BPD is identifiable and treatable, findings from the four-year follow-up will provide valuable information to formulate prevention and early intervention strategies. ..
- Substance Abuse in ADHD GirlsTimothy Wilens; Fiscal Year: 2006..Thus, the research, approach, and goals of this R01 application are consistent with those underscored in the PA and by the Institute of Medicine as being of the highest research priority. ..
- LONG TERM DRUG ABUSE IN ADHDTimothy Wilens; Fiscal Year: 2002..abstract_text> ..
- Psychopharmacology of Autism and related DisordersDavid Posey; Fiscal Year: 2007..Towards the later years of the award, the candidate will have performed additional studies and applied for independent research funding. ..
- NEUROIMAGING OF INHIBITION & STIMULANT RESPONSE IN ADHDSteven Pliszka; Fiscal Year: 2004..5) We will control for effects of gender and age, in particular girls with ADHD may not show the same neurobiological mechanisms as boys. ..
- Pimozide Augmentation of Clozapine in SchizophreniaJoseph Friedman; Fiscal Year: 2007..This study will provide sorely needed controlled data on the efficacy and safety of a clozapine combination treatment strategy involving adjunctive antipsychotic agents. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Dopamine and ADHD: A Research Infrastructure NetworkJeffrey Newcorn; Fiscal Year: 2004..In addition, the post-doctoral students will be able to spend time in multiple laboratories, which will facilitate the transfer of key theoretical and technical expertise across sites. ..
- AN ECOGENETIC STUDY OF ADHDStephen Faraone; Fiscal Year: 2003..Furthermore, no studies have used an ecogenetic approach to sharpen the accuracy of risk prediction. ..
- DOPAMINERGIC MODULATION WORKING MEMORY TBI--FMRI STUDYThomas McAllister; Fiscal Year: 2003..Performance and fMRI visualized activation of WM circuitry will be characterized at baseline (on placebo) and following administration of a dopamine agonist. ..
- International Multi-Center ADHD Genetics ProjectStephen Faraone; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Ginkgo biloba for ECT-induced Memory DeficitsJOHN MARKOWITZ; Fiscal Year: 2003..will utilize larger groups and additional cognitive tests will be incorporated to provide more definitive conclusions regarding efficacy, optimal dose and duration, persistence of effects, and safety and tolerability ..
- PATHOPHYSIOLOGY OF CHOREAJonathan Mink; Fiscal Year: 2002..abstract_text> ..
- TESTING THE VALIDITY OF ADULT ATTENTION DEFICIT DISORDERStephen Faraone; Fiscal Year: 2002..Thus, if founded, we expect that the proposed work will lead to a program of research that can both clarify the nosological complexities of adult ADHD and clarify the nature of genes that are risk factors for the disorder. ..
- Screening Herbs for Drug InteractionsJOHN MARKOWITZ; Fiscal Year: 2002..Further, the proposed studies will complement existing and future NCCAM studies of agents such as St. John's wort and Gingko biloba. ..
- P-Glycoprotein and Disposition of PsychostimulantsJOHN MARKOWITZ; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- Clinical and Neuropsychological Investigations in Batten DiseaseJonathan W Mink; Fiscal Year: 2010..Although JNCL is a rare disease, our research has implications that can be generalized to the study of other degenerative neurologic disorders in children and for preparing translational clinical trials in these diseases. ..
- Models of Antipsychotic Prophylaxis for SchizophreniaSusan Powell; Fiscal Year: 2005..3. To assess the effects of prophylactic antipsychotic treatment on neonatal ventral hippocampal lesion induced behavioral deficits. ..
- Validating Novel Familial Phenotypes of Drug AbuseStephen Faraone; Fiscal Year: 2007..State of the art statistical techniques will be employed. ..
- Analysis of an ADHD Whole Genome Association ScanStephen Faraone; Fiscal Year: 2007..All genotype data generated by the GAIN whole genome association scan will be made available to the scientific community by GAIN as soon as the genotypes are completed. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Methylphenidate Abuse Potential in ADHD AdultsScott Kollins; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Mechanisms of Nicotine Dependence in ADHD AdultsScott Kollins; Fiscal Year: 2008..Data generated will also lead to subsequent clinical projects to develop more effective interventions for nicotine dependence in this high risk group. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Follow up of the PATS sampleScott Kollins; Fiscal Year: 2008..Aim 4 is to determine the stability of the ADHD diagnosis and other comorbidities made for study entry at age 3-5 years across subsequent development [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Role of Candidate Alleles in Cognitive Outcome After TBIThomas McAllister; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- 2/5-The Psychiatric GWAS Consortium: Integrated & Coordinated GWAS Meta-AnalysesStephen Faraone; Fiscal Year: 2008..Finally, the PGC proposes to abide as fully as possible with the NIH's GWAS data sharing policies and we provide a detailed data sharing plan and timetable. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Predicting Response to Atomoxetine and MethlyphenidateJeffrey Newcorn; Fiscal Year: 2009..abstract_text> ..
- Evaluation of Stimulant DrugsSharon Wigal; Fiscal Year: 2006..Within-subject PK variability in time-course of serum concentration for each medication will be analyzed, and the time-response characteristics also will be estimated based on PD measures for methylphenidate. ..
- Effect of Biomechanical Force Exposure on Cognition & Brain Activation in StudentThomas McAllister; Fiscal Year: 2009..Impact parameters will be directly measured using helmet-based accelerometer units. ..
- Searching for ADHD Susceptibility GenesStephen V Faraone; Fiscal Year: 2010..That, in turn, should facilitate the search for newer, more effective treatments for the disorder. ..
- RCT Methylphenidate & Memory/Attention Training in Traumatic Brain InjuryThomas McAllister; Fiscal Year: 2010..Further, it will help to clarify underlying neural mechanisms and suggest additional treatment possibilities. ..
- Smoking reinforcement in adults with and without ADHDScott H Kollins; Fiscal Year: 2010..This project will help identify some of the reasons why people with ADHD smoke more and will potentially lead to better prevention and treatment programs. ..