Genomes and Genes
Summary: A drug that is used in the management of inflammatory bowel diseases. Its activity is generally considered to lie in its metabolic breakdown product, 5-aminosalicylic acid (see MESALAMINE) released in the colon. (From Martindale, The Extra Pharmacopoeia, 30th ed, p907)
Publications321 found, 100 shown here
- Severe hypersensitivity syndrome due to sulfasalazine associated with reactivation of human herpesvirus 6M Tohyama
Department of Dermatology, Ehime University School of Medicine, Japan
Arch Dermatol 134:1113-7. 1998A severe adverse reaction to sulfasalazine therapy has been associated with hypersensitivity syndrome, the clinical features of which are similar to infectious mononucleosis...
- Serum matrix metalloproteinase 3 levels during treatment with sulfasalazine or combination of methotrexate and sulfasalazine in patients with early rheumatoid arthritisMarcel D Posthumus
Department of Rheumatology, University Hospital Groningen, The Netherlands
J Rheumatol 29:883-9. 2002To determine the effects of treatment with sulfasalazine (SSZ) or the combination of methotrexate (MTX) and SSZ on serum matrix metalloproteinase 3 (MMP-3) levels in patients with early rheumatoid arthritis (RA).
- Usage of the NF-kappaB inhibitor sulfasalazine as sensitizing agent in combined chemotherapy of pancreatic cancerSusanne Müerköster
Laboratory of Molecular Gastroenterology and Hepatology, 1st Dept of Medicine, Christian Albrechts University, Kiel, Germany
Int J Cancer 104:469-76. 2003b>Sulfasalazine is commonly used as an anti inflammatory agent and is known as a potent inhibitor of NF-kappaB. Some pancreatic carcinomas are characterized by a constitutively elevated NF-kappaB activity accounting for chemoresistance...
- Sulfasalazine induces haem oxygenase-1 via ROS-dependent Nrf2 signalling, leading to control of neointimal hyperplasiaJu Young Kim
National Research Laboratory on Cardiovascular Stem Cell, Seoul National University, College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
Cardiovasc Res 82:550-60. 2009..Although sulfasalazine (SSZ) has been used as an anti-inflammatory and immune-modulatory agent in various inflammatory diseases, its ..
- Inhibition of cystine uptake disrupts the growth of primary brain tumorsWook Joon Chung
Department of Neurobiology, Civitan International Research Center, The University of Alabama, Birmingham, Alabama 35294 0021, USA
J Neurosci 25:7101-10. 2005..We describe two potent drugs that permit pharmacological inhibition of system xc-. One of these drugs, sulfasalazine, is clinically used to treat inflammatory bowel disease and rheumatoid arthritis...
- Effect of sulfasalazine on inflammation and endothelial function in patients with established coronary artery diseaseCorey E Tabit
Evans Department of Medicine and Whitaker Cardiovascular Institute, Boston University School of Medicine, Boston, MA, USA
Vasc Med 17:101-7. 2012..We treated patients with coronary artery disease with sulfasalazine, an inhibitor of NFκB, and placebo in a randomized, double-blind, crossover study design...
- Salicylates and sulfasalazine, but not glucocorticoids, inhibit leukocyte accumulation by an adenosine-dependent mechanism that is independent of inhibition of prostaglandin synthesis and p105 of NFkappaBB N Cronstein
New York University School of Medicine, 550 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 96:6377-81. 1999..the antiinflammatory effects of other potent and widely used antiinflammatory agents, methotrexate and sulfasalazine, both in vitro and in vivo...
- MRP2 mediated drug-drug interaction: indomethacin increases sulfasalazine absorption in the small intestine, potentially decreasing its colonic targetingArik Dahan
Department of Clinical Pharmacology, School of Pharmacy, Faculty of Health Sciences, Ben Gurion University of the Negev, Beer Sheva 84105, Israel
Int J Pharm 386:216-20. 2010..resistance-associated protein 2 (MRP2) and breast cancer resistance protein (BCRP), is responsible for sulfasalazine low-permeability in the small intestine, thereby enabling its colonic targeting and therapeutic action...
- Effects of etanercept versus sulfasalazine in early axial spondyloarthritis on active inflammatory lesions as detected by whole-body MRI (ESTHER): a 48-week randomised controlled trialI H Song
Campus Benjamin Franklin, Med Clinic I, Rheumatology, Hindenburgdamm 30, 12200 Berlin, Germany
Ann Rheum Dis 70:590-6. 2011To evaluate the potential of etanercept versus sulfasalazine to reduce active inflammatory lesions on whole-body MRI in active axial spondyloarthritis with a symptom duration of less than 5 years.
- Disruption of xCT inhibits cell growth via the ROS/autophagy pathway in hepatocellular carcinomaWeijie Guo
Shanghai Medical College, Fudan University, Shanghai 200032, China
Cancer Lett 312:55-61. 2011..Taken together, these findings suggest that xCT may be a promising therapeutic target for human HCC...
- Sulfasalazine-induced cystine starvation: potential use for prostate cancer therapyDaniel W Doxsee
Department of Cancer Endocrinology, BC Cancer Agency, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Prostate 67:162-71. 2007..Here we examined advanced human prostate cancer cell lines, DU-145 and PC-3, for dependence on extracellular cystine and sensitivity to sulfasalazine (SASP), a potent inhibitor of the x(c)(-) cystine transporter.
- Why are Dutch rheumatologists reluctant to use the COBRA treatment strategy in early rheumatoid arthritis?Lilian H D van Tuyl
Department of Clinical Epidemiology and Biostatistics, VU University Medical Center, PO Box 7057, 1053 MB Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Ann Rheum Dis 66:974-6. 2007..In addition, 5 years of follow-up proved that COBRA therapy results in sustained reduction of the rate of radiological progression. Despite this evidence, Dutch rheumatologists seem reluctant to prescribe COBRA therapy...
- Sulfasalazine, a potent suppressor of lymphoma growth by inhibition of the x(c)- cystine transporter: a new action for an old drugP W Gout
Department of Cancer Endocrinology, BC Cancer Agency, Vancouver, Canada
Leukemia 15:1633-40. 2001..b>Sulfasalazine was fortuitously found to be a novel, potent inhibitor of the x(c)- transporter...
- Tripterygium wilfordii Hook F. versus Sulfasalazine in the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis: a well-designed clinical trial of a botanical demonstrating effectivenessWilliam H Marks
Alexion Pharmaceuticals, Cheshire, Connecticut, USA
Fitoterapia 82:85-7. 2011..Why this article was published in a peer reviewed Allopathic medical journal is an important question that begs examination and may lay the future promise of TM/AM therapeutic interventions...
- Physical function and health related quality of life: analysis of 2-year data from randomized, controlled studies of leflunomide, sulfasalazine, or methotrexate in patients with active rheumatoid arthritisVibeke Strand
Division of Immunology, Stanford University School of Medicine, Palo Alto, California, USA
J Rheumatol 32:590-601. 2005..in physical function and health related quality of life (HRQOL) are sustained over 2 years of blinded treatment with leflunomide (LEF), methotrexate (MTX), or sulfasalazine (SSZ) in patients with active rheumatoid arthritis (RA).
- Common polymorphisms in the folate pathway predict efficacy of combination regimens containing methotrexate and sulfasalazine in early rheumatoid arthritisHeather M James
Division of Human Immunology, Institute of Medical and Veterinary Science, University of Adelaide and Royal Adelaide Hospital, Adelaide, Australia
J Rheumatol 35:562-71. 2008To study genetic polymorphisms in the folate pathway, a site of action of methotrexate (MTX) and sulfasalazine (SSZ), as predictors of efficacy of combination disease modifying antirheumatic drug (DMARD) regimens containing MTX and SSZ ..
- The influence of probiotic treatment on sulfasalazine metabolism in ratHee Ji Lee
School of Pharmacy, University of Otago, Dunedin, New Zealand
Xenobiotica 42:791-7. 2012..This study investigated their effect on the metabolism and pharmacokinetics of sulfasalazine (SSZ), a drug whose efficacy depends on metabolism by azoreductase (AR) in the gut microbiota to sulfapyridine ..
- Long-term clinical impact of early introduction of granulocyte and monocyte adsorptive apheresis in new onset, moderately active, extensive ulcerative colitisTakayuki Yamamoto
Inflammatory Bowel Disease Centre, Yokkaichi Social Insurance Hospital, Yokkaichi, Mie, Japan
J Crohns Colitis 6:750-5. 2012..This study was to see if the introduction of GMA at an early stage reduces corticosteroid administration and steroid dependency in the long term clinical course of UC...
- Lipid peroxidation and antioxidant status in kidney and liver of rats treated with sulfasalazineVictoria Linares
Laboratory of Toxicology and Environmental Health, School of Medicine, Rovira i Virgili University, Sant Llorens 21, 43201 Reus, Catalonia, Spain
Toxicology 256:152-6. 2009b>Sulfasalazine (SASP) is a drug commonly used in the treatment of inflammatory bowel diseases (IBD)...
- Sulfasalazine blocks the development of tactile allodynia in diabetic ratsLiliana N Berti-Mattera
Department of Pathology, Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine, Cleveland, Ohio, USA
Diabetes 57:2801-8. 2008..The reported link between nociception and targets of the anti-inflammatory drug sulfasalazine prompted us to investigate its effect on neuropathic pain in diabetes.
- A yeast-based screen reveals that sulfasalazine inhibits tetrahydrobiopterin biosynthesisChristopher Chidley
Institute of Chemical Sciences and Engineering, Institute of Bioengineering, National Centre of Competence in Research Chemical Biology, Ecole Polytechnique Federale de Lausanne, Lausanne, Switzerland
Nat Chem Biol 7:375-83. 2011..off-targets for erlotinib and atorvastatin, as well as an enzyme target for the anti-inflammatory drug sulfasalazine. We demonstrate that sulfasalazine and its metabolites, sulfapyridine and mesalamine, are inhibitors of the ..
- Oxidative stress as a mechanism underlying sulfasalazine-induced toxicityVictoria Linares
Physiology Unit, School of Medicine, IISPV, Universitat Rovira i Virgili, Sant Llorenc 21, 43201 Reus, Catalonia, Spain
Expert Opin Drug Saf 10:253-63. 2011b>Sulfasalazine (SASP) is a drug commonly used in the treatment of inflammatory bowel diseases (IBD) such as ulcerative colitis and Crohn's disease (CD) and rheumatoid arthritis (RA)...
- N-Acetyltransferase 2 genotype correlates with sulfasalazine pharmacokinetics after multiple dosing in healthy Japanese subjectsT Kita
Department of Hospital Pharmacy, School of Medicine, Kobe University, Japan
Biol Pharm Bull 24:1176-80. 2001..study, the correlation between the NAT2 genotype and the pharmacokinetics of SP after multiple oral dosing of sulfasalazine (SASP) was examined to elucidate the effect of multiple dosing on the predictability of the phenotype by NAT2 ..
- Prospective study of the association between NAT2 gene haplotypes and severe adverse events with sulfasalazine therapy in patients with rheumatoid arthritisMakoto Soejima
J Rheumatol 35:724. 2008
- Fulminant liver failure after vancomycin in a sulfasalazine-induced DRESS syndrome: fatal recurrence after liver transplantationM Mennicke
University Clinic for Visceral Surgery and Medicine, Bern University Hospital, and University of Bern, Switzerland
Am J Transplant 9:2197-202. 2009..We describe a 60-year-old man with polyarthritis treated with sulfasalazine who developed DRESS and fulminant liver failure after additional vancomycin treatment...
- Long-term clinical outcomes and factors predictive of relapse after 5-aminosalicylate or sulfasalazine therapy in patients with intestinal Behcet diseaseYoon Suk Jung
Division of Gastroenterology, Department of Internal Medicine and Institute of Gastroenterology, Yonsei University College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
J Clin Gastroenterol 46:e38-45. 2012Currently, 5-aminosalicylic acid (5-ASA)/sulfasalazine is used to empirically treat patients with intestinal Behcet disease (BD) without clear clinical evidence...
- Adverse effects of sulfasalazine in patients with rheumatoid arthritis are associated with diplotype configuration at the N-acetyltransferase 2 geneEiichi Tanaka
Institute of Rheumatology and Division of Statistical Genetics, Tokyo Women s Medical University, Japan
J Rheumatol 29:2492-9. 2002N-acetyltransferase 2 (NAT2) is a key enzyme for the acetylation of sulfasalazine (SSZ)...
- Two immunomodulators, curcumin and sulfasalazine, enhance IDV antiretroviral activity in HIV-1 persistently infected cellsD A Riva
Laboratory of Virology, Department of Biochemistry, School of Science, University of Buenos Aires, Int Guiraldes 2160, Pab2 P4, Ciudad Universitaria, C1428EGA, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Arch Virol 153:561-5. 2008..The goal of this study was to characterize the effect of two immunomodulators, curcumin (Cur) and sulfasalazine (Sul), with a protease inhibitor, indinavir (IDV), on HIV-1 persistently infected CD4+ T-cells...
- Comparison of the effect of mesalazine and sulfasalazine on laboratory parameters: a retrospective observational studyHideki Masuda
Department of Surgery, Nihon University School of Medicine, 2 11 1 Hikarigaoka, Nerima ku, Tokyo, 179 0072, Japan
Eur J Clin Pharmacol 68:1549-55. 2012Mesalazine and sulfasalazine are commonly used drugs for the treatment of inflammatory bowel disease...
- Sulfasalazine metabolites and dapsone attenuate formyl-methionyl-leucyl-phenylalanine-induced mucosal injury in rat ileumC von Ritter
Department of Physiology and Biophysics, Louisiana State University Medical Center, Shreveport
Gastroenterology 96:811-6. 1989..Our results indicate that inhibition of neutrophilic myeloperoxidase may be an important mechanism by which 5-ASA, 4-ASA, and dapsone attenuate FMLP-induced mucosal injury...
- Activation of hippocampal nuclear factor-kappa B by retrieval is required for memory reconsolidationMariano Boccia
Laboratorio de Neurofarmacologia de Procesos de Memoria, Facultad de Farmacia y Bioquimica, Universidad de Buenos Aires, Buenos Aires, Argentina
J Neurosci 27:13436-45. 2007..First, we administered intracerebroventricular or intrahippocampal sulfasalazine, an inhibitor of IKK (IkappaB kinase), the kinase that activates NF-kappaB...
- Sulfasalazine reduces inflammatory renal injury in unilateral ureteral obstructionSavas Demirbilek
Department of Pediatric Surgery, Inonu University School of Medicine, Malatya, Turkey
Pediatr Nephrol 22:804-12. 2007The purpose of this study was to test whether sulfasalazine has a protective action against interstitial inflammation and the development of renal fibrosis in obstructive nephropathy...
- Survival and effectiveness of leflunomide compared with methotrexate and sulfasalazine in rheumatoid arthritis: a matched observational studyD Aletaha
Division of Rheumatology, Department of Internal Medicine III, University of Vienna, Austria
Ann Rheum Dis 62:944-51. 2003To determine the survival and clinical effectiveness of leflunomide (LEF) compared with methotrexate (MTX) and sulfasalazine (SSZ) for RA in an observational study.
- Phenotyping with sulfasalazine - time dependence and relation to NAT2 pharmacogeneticsU D Kuhn
Institute for Pharmacology and Toxicology, Division of Clinical Pharmacology, Medical Faculty Friedrich Schiller University Jena, Dornburger Strasse 159, 07740 Jena, Germany
Int J Clin Pharmacol Ther 48:1-10. 2010N-acetyltransferase 2 (NAT2) genotype-phenotype relation with sulfasalazine as probe drug by means of detailed genotype analysis and kinetic data evaluation.
- Early combination disease-modifying antirheumatic drug therapy and tight disease control improve long-term radiologic outcome in patients with early rheumatoid arthritis: the 11-year results of the Finnish Rheumatoid Arthritis Combination Therapy trialVappu Rantalaiho
Department of Internal Medicine, Centre for Rheumatic Diseases, Tampere University Hospital, PO Box 2000, FI 33521 Tampere, Finland
Arthritis Res Ther 12:R122. 2010..The aim of this study was to evaluate the radiologic progression beyond that time in patients with early RA initially treated with a combination of three disease-modifying antirheumatic drugs (DMARDs) or a single DMARD...
- Therapeutic benefit of sulfasalazine for patients with primary sclerosing cholangitisShinichiro Tada
J Gastroenterol 41:388-9. 2006
- [Sulfasalazine in ankylosing spondylitis: a prospective, randomized, double-blind placebo-controlled study and comparison with other controlled studies]W A Schmidt
Rheumaklinik Berlin Buch Karower Strasse 11, 13125 Berlin, Germany
Z Rheumatol 61:159-67. 2002To assess the efficacy and tolerability of sulfasalazine in ankylosing spondylitis including a meta-analysis of comparable trials.
- Frequency and duration of drug-free remission after 1 year of treatment with etanercept versus sulfasalazine in early axial spondyloarthritis: 2 year data of the ESTHER trialIn Ho Song
Department of Rheumatology, Charité Medical University, Campus Benjamin Franklin, Berlin, Germany
Ann Rheum Dis 71:1212-5. 2012..after flare in patients with early active axial spondyloarthritis who were treated with ETA (n=40) versus sulfasalazine (SSZ, n=36) for 48 weeks and (2) to analyse the efficacy of ETA treatment in patients in year 2 who did not ..
- Which is the active moiety of sulfasalazine in ankylosing spondylitis? A randomized, controlled studyA Taggart
Department of Rheumatology, Musgrave Park Hospital, Belfast, Northern Ireland, UK
Arthritis Rheum 39:1400-5. 1996To compare the efficacy of sulfasalazine (SSZ) with its two moieties, 5-aminosalicylic acid (ASA) and sulfapyridine (SP), in patients with active ankylosing spondylitis (AS).
- Scavenging of reactive oxygen and nitrogen species by the prodrug sulfasalazine and its metabolites 5-aminosalicylic acid and sulfapyridineDiana Couto
REQUIMTE, Departamento de Quimica, Faculdade de Farmacia, Universidade do Porto, Porto, Portugal
Redox Rep 15:259-67. 2010b>Sulfasalazine is a prodrug composed by a molecule of 5-aminosalicylic acid (5-ASA) and sulfapyridine (SP), linked by an azo bond, which has been shown to be effective in the therapy of inflammatory bowel diseases (IBD) such as ulcerative ..
- Marked prevention of ischemic brain injury by Neu2000, an NMDA antagonist and antioxidant derived from aspirin and sulfasalazineByoung Joo Gwag
Neurotech Pharmaceuticals Co, Ajou University School of Medicine, Suwon, Gyeonggido, South Korea
J Cereb Blood Flow Metab 27:1142-51. 2007..acid (Neu2000) was derived from aspirin and sulfasalazine to prevent both NMDA neurotoxicity and oxidative stress...
- NF-kappaB transcription factor is required for inhibitory avoidance long-term memory in miceRamiro Freudenthal
Laboratorio de Neurobiologia de la Memoria, Departamento de Fisiologia, Biologia Molecular y Celular, Facultad de Ciencias Exactas y Naturales, Universidad de Buenos Aires, IFIByNE, CONICET, Ciudad Universitaria, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Eur J Neurosci 21:2845-52. 2005..in the one-trial step-through inhibitory avoidance paradigm in mice: post-training administration of the drug sulfasalazine and 2 h pretraining administration of a double-stranded DNA oligonucleotide containing the NF-kappaB consensus ..
- Sulfasalazine-induced reduction of glutathione levels in breast cancer cells: enhancement of growth-inhibitory activity of DoxorubicinVishal S Narang
College of Pharmacy, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
Chemotherapy 53:210-7. 2007We previously showed that the anti-inflammatory drug, sulfasalazine (salicylazosulfapyridine, SASP), can arrest proliferation of MCF-7 and MDA-MB-231 mammary cancer cells by inhibiting uptake of cystine via the x(c-) cystine/glutamate ..
- Clinical efficacy and safety of etanercept versus sulfasalazine in patients with ankylosing spondylitis: a randomized, double-blind trialJuergen Braun
Rheumatology Medical Center, Ruhr District, Herne, Germany
Arthritis Rheum 63:1543-51. 2011..b>Sulfasalazine is frequently used for the treatment of both axial symptoms and peripheral symptoms of AS, and it has been the ..
- Breast cancer resistance protein (Bcrp/abcg2) is a major determinant of sulfasalazine absorption and elimination in the mouseHani Zaher
Department of Pharmacokinetics, Dynamics, and Metabolism, Pfizer Global Research and Development, Michigan Laboratories, 2800 Plymouth Road, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48105, USA
Mol Pharm 3:55-61. 2006b>Sulfasalazine is used in the treatment of ulcerative colitis, Crohn's disease, and rheumatoid arthritis. When administered orally, sulfasalazine is poorly absorbed with an estimated bioavailability of 3-12%...
- Pharmacologic evaluation of sulfasalazine, FTY720, and anti-IL-12/23p40 in a TNBS-induced Crohn's disease modelZaher A Radi
Drug Safety R and D, Pfizer Worldwide Research and Development, 35 CambridgePark Dr, Cambridge, MA 02140, USA
Dig Dis Sci 56:2283-91. 2011..However, published data on pharmacologic and therapeutic efficacy testing of this model are limited. FTY720 inhibits lymphoid cell trafficking in inflammatory conditions and is of interest to treat IBD...
- Increased expression of MIP-3alpha/CCL20 in peripheral blood mononuclear cells from patients with ulcerative colitis and its down-regulation by sulfasalazine and glucocorticoid treatmentHyun Ju Lee
Department of Physiology, Kyungpook National University School of Medicine, Taegu, Korea
Inflamm Bowel Dis 11:1070-9. 2005..Moreover, the discovery of Nod2 as the IBD1 susceptibility gene has underscored the significance of blood mononuclear cells in IBD pathogenesis...
- Inhibition of xc⁻ transporter-mediated cystine uptake by sulfasalazine analogsKrupa Shukla
Department of Neurology, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
Bioorg Med Chem Lett 21:6184-7. 2011A series of sulfasalazine analogs were synthesized and tested for their ability to block cystine-glutamate antiporter system xc⁻ using L-[(14)C]cystine as a substrate...
- Sulfasalazine induces apoptosis of HBx-expressing cells in an NF-kappaB-independent mannerYoung Man Lee
Indang Institute of Molecular Biology, Inje University, Jeodong 2 Ga 64, Chung Ku, Seoul, 100 032, Republic of Korea
Virus Genes 40:37-43. 2010..It has been suggested that the anti-inflammatory drug sulfasalazine, which is commonly used to treat rheumatoid arthritis and inflammatory bowel disease, inhibits nuclear factor ..
- Effects of 5-fluouracil combined with sulfasalazine on human pancreatic carcinoma cell line BxPC-3 proliferation and apoptosis in vitroZhe Huang
Department of General Surgery, First Affiliated Hospital, China Medical University, Shenyang 110001, China
Hepatobiliary Pancreat Dis Int 6:312-20. 2007....
- The novel neuroprotective action of sulfasalazine through blockade of NMDA receptorsBo Rum Ryu
Department of Neuroscience and Pharmacology, Center for the Interventional Therapy of Stroke and Alzheimer s Disease CITSAD, Ajou University School of Medicine, Suwon, Kyunggi Do, Korea
J Pharmacol Exp Ther 305:48-56. 2003b>Sulfasalazine is widely used to treat inflammatory diseases...
- A randomized controlled trial of early intervention with intraarticular corticosteroids followed by sulfasalazine versus conservative treatment in early oligoarthritisHelena Marzo-Ortega
Chapel Allerton Hospital, Leeds, UK
Arthritis Rheum 57:154-60. 2007..determine the outcome after 52 weeks of early intervention with intraarticular corticosteroid injections followed by sulfasalazine versus conservative therapy in patients with recent-onset oligoarthritis in a randomized controlled trial.
- Suppression of cystine uptake by sulfasalazine inhibits proliferation of human mammary carcinoma cellsVishal S Narang
College of Pharmacy, University of Cincinnati, 3223 Eden Ave, Cincinnati, OH 45267 0004, USA
Anticancer Res 23:4571-9. 2003..Recently, we showed that sulfasalazine (SASP) is a specific xc- inhibitor. Here, we investigated xc- in mammary cancer cell lines.
- Immune modulation with sulfasalazine attenuates immunopathogenesis but enhances macrophage-mediated fungal clearance during Pneumocystis pneumoniaJing Wang
Department of Pediatrics, University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry, Rochester, New York, USA
PLoS Pathog 6:e1001058. 2010..In the current study the effects of immune modulation with sulfasalazine were evaluated in a mouse model of PcP-related Immune Reconstitution Inflammatory Syndrome (PcP-IRIS)...
- Sulfasalazine induced oxidative stress: a possible mechanism of male infertilityVirginia Alonso
Laboratory of Toxicology and Environmental Health, School of Medicine, Rovira i Virgili University, Sant Llorens 21, 43201 Reus, Spain
Reprod Toxicol 27:35-40. 2009The mechanism of action of sulfasalazine (SASP) in male infertility is not well elucidated. For it, an oxidative stress-like mechanism inductor of infertility was hypothesized...
- The xc- cystine/glutamate antiporter as a potential therapeutic target for small-cell lung cancer: use of sulfasalazineJun Guan
Department of Cancer Endocrinology, BC Cancer Agency, Research Centre, Vancouver, BC, Canada
Cancer Chemother Pharmacol 64:463-72. 2009..To determine whether the xc- cystine transporter could be a useful therapeutic target for small-cell lung cancer (SCLC)...
- Novel sulfasalazine analogues with enhanced NF-kB inhibitory and apoptosis promoting activityF Habens
Cancer Research UK Oncology Unit, Cancer Sciences Division, School of Medicine, Southampton General Hospital, University of Southampton, SO16 6YD, UK
Apoptosis 10:481-91. 2005..Small molecule inhibitors of NF-kB are therefore likely to provide novel therapeutic opportunities. Sulfasalazine (SFZ) is a synthetic anti-inflammatory comprising an aminosalicylate, 5-amino salicylic acid (5-ASA), linked ..
- Sulfasalazine-induced pericarditis in a patient with ulcerative colitis without recurrence when switching to mesalazineSerge Perrot
Service de Medecine Interne et Consultation de la Douleur, Hotel Dieu, 1 Place du Parvis Notre Dame, 75004 Paris, France
Int J Colorectal Dis 22:1119-21. 2007..Pericarditis is rarely reported in inflammatory bowel disease. Besides its common causes, pericarditis could be related to ulcerative colitis flare or to 5-aminosalicylic acid (5-ASA) treatment...
- Efficacy of sulfasalazine in the treatment of generalized lichen planus: randomized double-blinded clinical trial on 52 patientsM Omidian
Department of Dermatology, Imam Khomeini Hospital, Jondishapur University of Medical Sciences, Ahvaz, Iran
J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol 24:1051-4. 2010Oral sulfasalazine has been reported to be effective in patients with idiopathic cutaneous lichen planus (LP).
- Can sulfasalazine prevent infection-mediated pre-term birth in a murine model?Carl A Nath
Division of Maternal Fetal Medicine, Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology and Reproductive Sciences, UMDNJ Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, New Brunswick, NJ, USA
Am J Reprod Immunol 63:144-9. 2010b>Sulfasalazine (SASP) blocks activation of nuclear factor-kappa B (NF-kappaB) in gestational tissues in vitro- one of the earliest signals in the inflammatory response...
- Proximal colorectal dysplasia or cancer in ulcerative colitis. The impact of primary sclerosing cholangitis and sulfasalazine: results from a 20-year surveillance studyB U Lindberg
Department of Diagnostic Radiology, Huddinge University Hospital, Karolinska Institute, Huddinge, Sweden
Dis Colon Rectum 44:77-85. 2001..another independent risk factor-especially for proximal colorectal dysplasia or cancer-and that treatment with sulfasalazine might reduce the frequency of colorectal cancer in ulcerative colitis; the present study was undertaken to ..
- Selective nuclear factor kappa-B inhibitors, pyrolidium dithiocarbamate and sulfasalazine, prevent the nephrotoxicity induced by gentamicinVolkan Tugcu
Department of Urology, Bakýrköy Dr Sadi Konuk Research and Training Hospital, Istanbul, Turkey
BJU Int 98:680-6. 2006..the effect of selective nuclear factor kappa-B (NFkappa-B) inhibitors, pyrolidium dithiocarbamate (PD) and sulfasalazine (SZ) on renal tubular necrosis and inducible nitric oxide synthase (iNOS) and NFkappa-B expression induced by ..
- Small intestinal efflux mediated by MRP2 and BCRP shifts sulfasalazine intestinal permeability from high to low, enabling its colonic targetingArik Dahan
The University of Michigan College of Pharmacy, Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109 1065, USA
Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 297:G371-7. 2009b>Sulfasalazine is characterized by low intestinal absorption, which essentially enables its colonic targeting and therapeutic action. The mechanisms behind this low absorption have not yet been elucidated...
- Treatment with sulfasalazine or sulfapyridine, but not 5-aminosalicyclic acid, inhibits basic fibroblast growth factor-induced endothelial cell chemotaxisM V Volin
Department of Medicine, Northwestern University Medical School, Chicago, Illinois 60611, USA
Arthritis Rheum 42:1927-35. 1999..We investigated the effects of sulfasalazine (SSZ) and its metabolites, sulfapyridine (SP) and 5-aminosalicylic acid (5-ASA), on components of angiogenesis,..
- Sulfasalazine-induced DRESS syndrome (Drug Rash with Eosinophilia and Systemic Symptoms)Renata Telles Rudge de Aquino
Department of Internal Medicine, Faculdade de Ciencias Medicas, Santa Casa de Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Sao Paulo Med J 126:225-6. 2008..It must be recognized promptly due to its high morbidity and 10% mortality rate. Few cases of DRESS syndrome induced by sulfasalazine have been reported in the literature.
- Cross-reactivity in drug hypersensitivity reactions to sulfasalazine and sulfamethoxazoleAnna Zawodniak
Division of Allergology, Clinic for Rheumatology and Clinical Immunology Allergology, Inselspital, University of Bern, Bern, Switzerland
Int Arch Allergy Immunol 153:152-6. 2010..However, the anti-inflammatory drug sulfasalazine represents an important exception...
- Spherical molecularly imprinted polymers (SMIPs) via a novel precipitation polymerization in the controlled delivery of sulfasalazineF Puoci
Dipartimento di Scienze Farmaceutiche, Universita della Calabria, 87036 Arcavacata di Rende CS, Italy
Macromol Biosci 4:22-6. 2004..molecularly imprinted polymers (SMIPs) have been prepared via a novel precipitation polymerization using sulfasalazine (prodrug used in the diseases of the colon) as template...
- Sulfasalazine sensitises human monocytic/macrophage cells for glucocorticoids by upregulation of glucocorticoid receptor alpha and glucocorticoid induced apoptosisRuud Oerlemans
Department of Rheumatology, Room 4A42, VU Institute for Cancer and Immunology, VU University Medical Center, De Boelelaan 1117, 1081 HV Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Ann Rheum Dis 66:1289-95. 2007..The availability of drugs that could modulate GC resistance is therefore of potential clinical interest...
- [Clinical observation on total glucosides of paeony combined with sulfasalazine in treatment of ankylosing spondylitis]Suo liang Wang
Rehabilitation Center, The First Hospital Affiliated to School of Medicine, Xi an Jiaotong University, Xi an
Zhongguo Zhong Xi Yi Jie He Za Zhi 27:217-9. 2007To evaluate the efficacy and adverse reaction of total glucosides of paeony (TGP) combined with sulfasalazine (SSZ) in the treatment of ankylosing spondylitis (AS).
- Drug rash with eosinophilia and systemic symptoms secondary to sulfasalazineJeremy Rosenbaum
Department of Gastroenterology, The Royal Children s Hospital, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
J Paediatr Child Health 46:193-6. 2010..This case report informs readers of the association of sulfasalazine and DRESS in an 11-year-old with inflammatory bowel disease and discusses its pathogenesis and treatment...
- Ursodeoxycholic acid versus sulfasalazine in colitis-related colon carcinogenesis in miceHiroyuki Kohno
Department of Oncologic Pathology, Kanazawa Medical University, Ishikawa, Japan
Clin Cancer Res 13:2519-25. 2007Inflammation influences carcinogenesis. In the current study, we investigated whether ursodeoxycholic acid (UDCA) can inhibit colitis-related mouse colon carcinogenesis and compared it with the effects of sulfasalazine.
- Sulfasalazine for alopecia areataCharles N Ellis
Department of Dermatology, 1910 A Alfred Taubman Center, University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 0314, USA
J Am Acad Dermatol 46:541-4. 2002b>Sulfasalazine is used as a therapy for various autoimmune conditions, including psoriasis; its effectiveness is presumed to be the result of its immunomodulatory effects...
- Treatment of persistent alopecia areata with sulfasalazineTuraj Rashidi
Department of Dermatology, Urmia University of Medical Sciences, and Shams Clinicopathology Laboratory, Urmia, Iran
Int J Dermatol 47:850-2. 2008..b>Sulfasalazine has been reported to show success in the treatment of persistent cases of alopecia areata...
- An uncontrolled, open label study of sulfasalazine in severe alopecia areataShahin Aghaei
Department of Dermatology, School of Medicine, Jahrom University of Medical Sciences, Jahrom, Iran
Indian J Dermatol Venereol Leprol 74:611-3. 2008..Alopecia areata (AA) is an autoimmune disease mediated by T lymphocytes. Many treatments have been used but their results remain disappointing. There is a need to propose new therapeutic alternatives...
- Salicylate-based anti-inflammatory drugs inhibit the early lesion of diabetic retinopathyLing Zheng
Department of Medicine and Ophthalmology, 434 Biomedical Research Building, Case Western Reserve University, 10900 Euclid Avenue, Cleveland, OH 44106, USA
Diabetes 56:337-45. 2007..effects of oral consumption of three different salicylate-based drugs (aspirin, sodium salicylate, and sulfasalazine) on the development of early stages of diabetic retinopathy in rats...
- Comparison of Tripterygium wilfordii Hook F versus sulfasalazine in the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis: a randomized trialRaphaela Goldbach-Mansky
National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases and Clinical Center, National Institutes of Health, U S Department of Health and Human Services, Bethesda, Maryland 20892 0001, USA
Ann Intern Med 151:229-40, W49-51. 2009..Extracts of the medicinal plant Tripterygium wilfordii Hook F (TwHF) have been used in China for centuries to treat a spectrum of inflammatory diseases...
- COBRA combination therapy in patients with early rheumatoid arthritis: long-term structural benefits of a brief interventionRobert B M Landewe
Department of Internal Medicine Rheumatology, PO Box 5800, University Hospital Maastricht, 6202 AZ Maastricht, The Netherlands
Arthritis Rheum 46:347-56. 2002..Artritis (COBRA) trial demonstrated that step-down combination therapy with prednisolone, methotrexate, and sulfasalazine (SSZ) was superior to SSZ monotherapy for suppressing disease activity and radiologic progression of ..
- Sulfasalazine: a review of its use in the management of rheumatoid arthritisGreg L Plosker
Adis International Limited, Auckland, New Zealand
Drugs 65:1825-49. 2005b>Sulfasalazine (salazosulfapyridine) [Azulfidine, Salazopyrin] is a well established disease-modifying antirheumatic drug (DMARD) used in the treatment of patients with rheumatoid arthritis...
- Treatment of rheumatoid arthritis with methotrexate and hydroxychloroquine, methotrexate and sulfasalazine, or a combination of the three medications: results of a two-year, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trialJAMES R O'DELL
University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha 68198, USA
Arthritis Rheum 46:1164-70. 2002To compare the efficacy of combination therapy with methotrexate (MTX) and hydroxychloroquine (HCQ), MTX and sulfasalazine (SSZ), and MTX, HCQ, and SSZ in patients with rheumatoid arthritis (RA).
- Kinetic characterization of sulfasalazine transport by human ATP-binding cassette G2Márton Jani
SOLVO Biotechnology, Budaors, Hungary
Biol Pharm Bull 32:497-9. 2009The pharmacokinetics of sulfasalazine, an anti-inflammatory drug is influenced by ATP-binding cassette G2 (ABCG2) (breast cancer resistance protein (BCRP), mitoxantrone resistance protein (MXR)) both in vitro and clinically...
- Sulfasalazine inhibits the growth of primary brain tumors independent of nuclear factor-kappaBW Joon Chung
Department of Neurobiology and Center for Glial Biology in Medicine, The University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, Alabama 35294 0021, USA
J Neurochem 110:182-93. 2009..b>Sulfasalazine which is used clinically to treat Crohn's disease has emerged as a potential inhibitor of NF-kappaB and has ..
- NFκB-dependent increase of kynurenine pathway activity in human placenta: inhibition by sulfasalazineP Dharane Neé Ligam
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Centre for Women s Health Research, Monash Institute of Medical Research, Monash University, Clayton 3168, Australia
Placenta 31:997-1002. 2010..presence of 10 μg/ml LPS for 24 or 48 h; duplicates of each explant were incubated either with or without 5mM sulfasalazine added to the medium...
- A meta-analysis of the efficacy of sulfasalazine in comparison with 5-aminosalicylates in the induction of improvement and maintenance of remission in patients with ulcerative colitisShekoufeh Nikfar
Drug Selecting Committee, Food and Drug Organization, Ministry of Health and Medical Education, Tehran, Iran
Dig Dis Sci 54:1157-70. 2009Historically, sulfasalazine (SSZ) and 5-aminosalicylates (5-ASAs) have been a mainstay of mild-to-moderate ulcerative colitis (UC) remission induction and maintenance therapy...
- The IkappaB kinase inhibitor sulfasalazine impairs long-term memory in the crab ChasmagnathusE Merlo
Laboratorio de Neurobiologia de la Memoria, Facultad de Ciencias Exactas y Naturales, Departamento de Ciencias Biologicas, Pabellon II, Universidad de Buenos Aires, 1428, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Neuroscience 112:161-72. 2002..IkappaB kinase-like phosphotransferase activity, which was inhibited by the IkappaB kinase inhibitor sulfasalazine, was detected in brain extracts...
- Combination therapy for rheumatoid arthritis: methotrexate and sulfasalazine together or with other DMARDsJames Dale
Ayr County Hospital, and Glasgow Royal Infirmary, Centre for Rheumatic Diseases, Castle Street, Glasgow, UK
Nat Clin Pract Rheumatol 3:450-8; quiz, following 478. 2007..A popular combination is methotrexate plus sulfasalazine, but each of these DMARDs can also be used in combination with other DMARDs and in triple therapy regimens...
- Etanercept in combination with sulfasalazine, hydroxychloroquine, or gold in the treatment of rheumatoid arthritisJAMES R O'DELL
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, 983025, USA
J Rheumatol 33:213-8. 2006To prospectively determine the efficacy and safety of etanercept in combination with sulfasalazine (SSZ), hydroxychloroquine (HCQ), and gold in the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis (RA).
- Efficacy, safety and patient-reported outcomes of combination etanercept and sulfasalazine versus etanercept alone in patients with rheumatoid arthritis: a double-blind randomised 2-year studyB Combe
Service d Immuno Rhumatologie, Hopital Lapeyronie, Montpellier, France
Ann Rheum Dis 68:1146-52. 2009To determine the efficacy and safety of etanercept and etanercept plus sulfasalazine versus sulfasalazine in patients with rheumatoid arthritis (RA) despite sulfasalazine therapy.
- Sulfasalazine down-regulates the expression of the angiogenic factors platelet-derived endothelial cell growth factor/thymidine phosphorylase and interleukin-8 in human monocytic-macrophage THP1 and U937 cellsMichiel de Bruin
Department of Medical Oncology, VU University Medical Center, De Boelelaan 1117, 1081 HV Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Mol Pharmacol 66:1054-60. 2004..Here, we show that prolonged exposure of human monocytic/macrophage THP1 and U937 cells to sulfasalazine, an anti-inflammatory drug and inhibitor of nuclear factor-kappaB (NF-kappaB), resulted in down-regulation of ..
- N-acetyltransferase 2 genotype-related efficacy of sulfasalazine in patients with rheumatoid arthritisShunichi Kumagai
Division of Clinical Pathology and Immunology, Department of Biomedical Informatics, Graduate School of Medicine, Kobe University, 7 5 2, Kusunoki cho, Chuo Ku, Kobe 750 0017, Japan
Pharm Res 21:324-9. 2004For the individual optimization of drug therapy with sulfasalazine (SASP), we studied the influence of the N-acetyltransferase 2 (NAT2) genotype on the pharmacokinetics, efficacy, and incidence of adverse reactions of SASP in patients.
- The effects of sulfasalazine treatment on enthesal abnormalities of inflammatory rheumatic diseasesHakan Genc
2nd Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Ministry of Health, Ankara Research and Education Hospital, Ankara, Turkey
Clin Rheumatol 26:1104-10. 2007The aim of this study was to evaluate the effects of a 1-year course of sulfasalazine monotherapy on enthesal abnormalities of inflammatory rheumatic diseases (IRDs) using ultrasonography...
- Step-up combination versus switching of non-biological disease-modifying antirheumatic drugs in rheumatoid arthritis: results from a retrospective observational studyM Schoels
Second Department of Medicine, Hietzing Hospital, Vienna, Austria
Ann Rheum Dis 66:1059-65. 2007..In rheumatoid arthritis (RA), treatment with disease-modifying antirheumatic drugs (DMARDs) frequently needs to be changed because of insufficient effectiveness...
- A survey of British rheumatologists' DMARD preferences for rheumatoid arthritisP Jobanputra
Department of Public Health and Epidemiology, University of Birmingham, Edgbaston, Birmingham, UK
Rheumatology (Oxford) 43:206-10. 2004..To determine the current disease-modifying anti-rheumatic drug (DMARD) preferences of UK consultant rheumatologists...
- Combination therapy with sulfasalazine and methotrexate is more effective than either drug alone in patients with rheumatoid arthritis with a suboptimal response to sulfasalazine: results from the double-blind placebo-controlled MASCOT studyHilary A Capell
Centre for Rheumatic Diseases, Glasgow Royal Infirmary, 84 Castle Street, Glasgow G4 0SF, UK
Ann Rheum Dis 66:235-41. 2007..Methotrexate (MTX) and sulfasalazine (SASP) are widely used inexpensive DMARDs, recently often combined despite no firm evidence of benefit from ..
- Indirect and total costs of early rheumatoid arthritis: a randomized comparison of combined step-down prednisolone, methotrexate, and sulfasalazine with sulfasalazine aloneIngeborg Korthals-de Bos
Institute for Research in Extramural Medicine, VU University Medical Center, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
J Rheumatol 31:1709-16. 2004..Analyses of the efficacy and direct costs of the treatments have already been reported...
- Methotrexate in combination with sulfasalazine is more effective in rheumatoid arthritis patients who failed sulfasalazine than in patients naive to both drugsLydia G Schipper
Department of Rheumatology, Radboud University Nijmegen Medical Centre, Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Rheumatology (Oxford) 48:828-33. 2009..Therefore, we compared the results of randomized controlled trials (RCTs) on the combination of MTX and SSZ in naïve patients and in patients with an insufficient response to SSZ...
- Bronchiolitis obliterans organizing pneumonia associated with sulfasalazine in a patient with rheumatoid arthritisBahar Ulubas
Department of Chest Disease, Faculty of Medicine, Mersin University, Koy Tür 2 Sitesi, B 2 Blok, Daire 4, D Tepe, 33320 Mersin, Turkey
Clin Rheumatol 23:249-51. 2004Pulmonary toxicity and blood dyscrasias are rare side effects of sulfasalazine. Pulmonary pathology is variable, the most common being eosinophilic pneumonia with peripheral eosinophilia, and interstitial inflammation with or without ..
- Sulfasalazine: a potent and specific inhibitor of nuclear factor kappa BC Wahl
Department of Internal Medicine I, University of Ulm, D 89081 Ulm, Germany
J Clin Invest 101:1163-74. 1998..b>Sulfasalazine and its salicylate moiety 5-aminosalicylic acid are among the most effective agents for treating inflammatory ..
- Is sulfasalazine effective in ankylosing spondylitis? A systematic review of randomized controlled trialsJunmin Chen
Australasian Cochrane Centre
J Rheumatol 33:722-31. 2006To evaluate the efficacy and toxicity of sulfasalazine (SSZ) for the treatment of ankylosing spondylitis (AS).
- Treatment continuation rate in relation to efficacy and toxicity in long-term therapy with low-dose methotrexate, sulfasalazine, and bucillamine in 1,358 Japanese patients with rheumatoid arthritisM Nagashima
Department of Joint Disease and Rheumatism, Nippon Medical School, Japan
Clin Exp Rheumatol 24:260-7. 2006To evaluate the effectiveness of disease-modifying antirheumatic drugs, namely, methotrexate (MTX), sulfasalazine (SSZ) and bucillamine (BUC) at low-doses (4, 6 or 8 mg MTX, 500 or 1,000 mg SSZ, and 100 or 200 mg BUC) in 1,358 patients ..
- Sulfasalazine unveils a contact-independent HSV-TK/ganciclovir gene therapy bystander effect in malignant gliomasPierre A Robe
Center for Biomedical Integrated Genoproteomics CBIG and Center for Cellular and Molecular Neurobiology CNCM, University of Liege, Belgium
Int J Oncol 30:283-90. 2007..In these experiments, the anti-inflammatory drug Sulfasalazine increased the HSV-TK/ganciclovir bystander effect in C6, 9L and LN18 cells but not in U87 glioma cells...
- Regulation of toll-like receptor 2 and 4 gene expression in murine alveolar macrophagesKatsuhisa Oshikawa
Division of Pulmonary Medicine, Department of Medicine, Jichi Medical School, Minamikawachi, Tochigi, Japan
Exp Lung Res 29:401-12. 2003..up-regulation was attenuated by inhibition of p38 kinase (with SB203580) or nuclear factor (NF)-kappaB (with sulfasalazine or SN-50), but not by inhibition of extracellular signal-regulated kinase (with PD98059) or c-Jun N-terminal ..
- CAT1920: A Small Molecule Therapeutic for the Treatment of IBDMICHAEL ROBERT JIROUSEK; Fiscal Year: 2010DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): 5-Aminosalicylic acid (5-ASA) and its analogs such as the prodrug sulfasalazine are front line therapy for Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD), which include both Crohn's disease and ulcerative ..
- Role of p53 and ptc tumor suppressive pathways in BCCs development and preventionMohammad Athar; Fiscal Year: 2010..the role of nuclear factor kappa B (NFkB), which is also induced by UVB irradiation of the skin, by using sulfasalazine that blocks NFkB activation by directly inhibiting IkB kinases...
- Amino Acid Transport and the Biology of Human GliomasHarald W Sontheimer; Fiscal Year: 2013..If a role for glutamate in seizure initiatio is confirmed, the availability of two FDA approved drugs, Sulfasalazine and Talampanel that inhibit either glutamate release or glutamate receptors should allow for a rapid ..
- Macrophage effector functions during respiratory fungal infectionTerry W Wright; Fiscal Year: 2013..For example, administering the anti-inflammatory agent sulfasalazine to mice with PcP resulted in macrophages with an AAM phenotype rather than the CAM phenotype seen in vehicle- ..
- Treatment of Early Aggressive Rheumatoid Arthritis TEARLarry Moreland; Fiscal Year: 2001..2 different combinations (anti-TNF plus methotrexate versus methotrexate plus hydroxychloroquine plus sulfasalazine) versus monotherapy (methotrexate) in patients with early RA who have an "aggressive" clinical phenotype ..
- 5ASA REGULATION OF MNSOD IN INTESTINAL CELLSJohn Valentine; Fiscal Year: 2002..Mesalamine (5-ASA) is the active ingredient in sulfasalazine and is one of the major therapies use to treat active disease and for the maintenance of remission...
- ALTERATION OF DIGITALIS AND ALDOSTERONE DISPOSITIONGARY LAGE; Fiscal Year: 1980..We propose to study these enzyme(s). Sulfasalazine has recently been shown to decrease the blood and urine levels of digoxin in patients...
- ORAL CONTRACEPTIVES AND INFLAMMATORY BOWEL DISEASE RISKEdward Boyko; Fiscal Year: 1992..Pharmacy computerized data will be reviewed for all persons who received a prescription for sulfasalazine, a medication primarily used for the treatment of ulcerative colitis...
- RHEUMATOID ARTHRITIS DRUG THERAPY IN THE ELDERLYDavid Felson; Fiscal Year: 1993..arthritis in which second line drugs including injectable gold, auranofin, penicillamine, antimalarials, sulfasalazine, and methotrexate have been used. The project will be divided into several stages...
- EFFECT OF SULFASALAZINE ON SODIUM FLUX IN THE COLONSheldon Schwartz; Fiscal Year: 1980The mechanism by which sulfasalazine (SASP) maintains remission in patients with ulcerative colitis is unknown...
- Predictors of Treatment Response in Early Aggressive RAS Bridges; Fiscal Year: 2007..for the treatment of RA include disease modifying anti-rheumatic drugs (DMARDs) such as methotrexate (MTX), sulfasalazine (SSZ), hydroxychloroquine (HCQ), and the TNF inhibitor etanercept...
- GREEN TEA AND INFLAMMATORY BOWEL DISEASEGARY VARILEK; Fiscal Year: 2000..We will also compare the efficacy of green tea polyphenols to that of sulfasalazine, an accepted therapy for IBD, and to that of vitamin E, an antioxidant with anti- inflammatory properties, in ..
- Rheumatoid Arthritis: Predictors of Therapeutic ResponseJAMES O DELL; Fiscal Year: 2002..Retrospective analysis of this information can be utilized to plan prospective clinical trials using potentially predictive patterns of cytokine, matrix metalloproteinases, and genetic factors. ..
- FAMILY STUDIES OF THE GENETICS OF ANKYLOSING SPONDYLITISJohn Reveille; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- NATURAL AND INDUCED IMMUNITY AGAINST HELICOBACTER PYLORIPierre Michetti; Fiscal Year: 2001..felis infection and during mucosal immunization in both mice and humans. These studies may also contribute to the development of effective vaccination strategies against other enteric pathogens. ..
- Adenosine in trauma and sepsisGyorgy Hasko; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Spondyloarthritis 2006; The Unmet NeedsJohn Reveille; Fiscal Year: 2006..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Multi-site Trial of Azathioprine Dosing in Crohn DiseaseStephen Hanauer; Fiscal Year: 2004..Predictive models will be performed to assess responsiveness based upon initial and inducible TPMT activity and achievable 6-TGN and 6-MMPR metabolite based upon incremental AZA dosing. ..
- In Vitro Cancer Prevention Biomarker DevelopmentEugene Elmore; Fiscal Year: 2004..Using cluster analysis, we will determine the global gene expression changes induced by each agent. The strength of the proposed approach lies in the high quality data that has already determined from the HEC Assay. ..
- Multi-site Trial of Azathioprine Dosing in Crohn DiseaseStephen Hanauer; Fiscal Year: 2003..Predictive models will be performed to assess responsiveness based upon initial and inducible TPMT activity and achievable 6-TGN and 6-MMPR metabolite based upon incremental AZA dosing. ..
- Enteric flora modulates the development of colitisAlbert Jergens; Fiscal Year: 2008..g., graduate students and postdoctoral fellow). There are ample opportunities to attend seminars, journal clubs and work-in-progress research meetings during which the applicant can become engaged in scientific discussions. ..