Genomes and Genes
Summary: A bacteriostatic antibacterial agent that interferes with folic acid synthesis in susceptible bacteria. Its broad spectrum of activity has been limited by the development of resistance. (From Martindale, The Extra Pharmacopoeia, 30th ed, p208)
Publications246 found, 100 shown here
- Evaluation of polyamidoamine (PAMAM) dendrimers as drug carriers of anti-bacterial drugs using sulfamethoxazole (SMZ) as a model drugMinglu Ma
Hefei National Laboratory for Physical Sciences at Microscale and School of Life Sciences, University of Science and Technology of China, Hefei, Anhui 230027, China
Eur J Med Chem 42:93-8. 2007b>Sulfamethoxazole (SMZ), a sulfonamide with well-known anti-bacterial properties, is not freely soluble in water and causes problems in its clinical applications...
- Biodegradation of sulfamethoxazole by individual and mixed bacteriaSimone Larcher
Department of Chemical Engineering, McGill University, 3610 University Street, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Appl Microbiol Biotechnol 91:211-8. 2011Antibiotic compounds, like sulfamethoxazole (SMX), have become a concern in the aquatic environment due to the potential development of antibacterial resistances...
- The role of horizontal gene transfer in the spread of trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole resistance among uropathogenic Escherichia coli in Europe and CanadaMatthew T Blahna
Department of Epidemiology, University of Michigan, School of Public Health, Ann Arbor, 48109, USA
J Antimicrob Chemother 57:666-72. 2006To describe the distribution of trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole resistance genes and the role of horizontal gene transfer and clonal expansion in recent increases of antibiotic resistance rates among uropathogenic Escherichia coli in Europe ..
- Plasmid-mediated streptomycin and sulfamethoxazole resistance in Shigella flexneri 3aSoumik Barman
Division of Bacteriology, National Institute of Cholera and Enteric Diseases, P 33 CIT Road, Scheme XM, Beliaghata, Kolkata 700 010, India
Int J Antimicrob Agents 36:348-51. 2010..This strain was resistant to ampicillin, chloramphenicol, co-trimoxazole (trimethoprim/sulfamethoxazole), nalidixic acid, streptomycin, sulfamethoxazole, tetracycline and trimethoprim...
- Isolation of bacterial strains capable of sulfamethoxazole mineralization from an acclimated membrane bioreactorHelene Bouju
Institute for Ecopreneurship, School of Life Sciences, University of Applied Sciences Northwestern Switzerland, Muttenz, Switzerland
Appl Environ Microbiol 78:277-9. 2012In this study, we isolated five strains capable of degrading ¹⁴C-labeled sulfamethoxazole to ¹⁴CO₂ from a membrane bioreactor acclimatized to sulfamethoxazole, carbamazepine, and diclofenac...
- Susceptibility of Mycobacterium tuberculosis to sulfamethoxazole, trimethoprim and their combination over a 12 year period in TaiwanTsi Shu Huang
Institute of Clinical Medicine, National Yang Ming University, Taipei, Taiwan
J Antimicrob Chemother 67:633-7. 2012..was designed to determine the susceptibility of clinical isolates of multidrug-resistant (MDR) and non-MDR Mycobacterium tuberculosis to sulfamethoxazole, trimethoprim and trimethoprim/sulfamethoxazole over a 12 year period in Taiwan.
- Bioactivation, protein haptenation, and toxicity of sulfamethoxazole and dapsone in normal human dermal fibroblastsPayal Bhaiya
Division of Pharmaceutics, College of Pharmacy, The University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA 52242, USA
Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 215:158-67. 2006..We evaluated the bioactivation and toxicity of sulfamethoxazole (SMX) and dapsone (DDS) in normal human dermal fibroblasts (NHDF)...
- Evaluating the biodegradability of sulfamethazine, sulfamethoxazole, sulfathiazole, and trimethoprim at different stages of sewage treatmentSandra Perez
The State University of New York at Buffalo, Chemistry Department, 611 Natural Sciences Complex, Buffalo, New York 14260 3000, USA
Environ Toxicol Chem 24:1361-7. 2005The aerobic biodegradability of four antimicrobials (sulfamethazine, sulfamethoxazole, sulfathiazole, and trimethoprim) was investigated in sewage collected at four treatment stages (primary treatment, activated sludge treatment, aerobic ..
- Aerobic biodegradation of the sulfonamide antibiotic sulfamethoxazole by activated sludge applied as co-substrate and sole carbon and nitrogen sourceElisabeth Müller
Chair of Urban Water Systems Engineering, Technische Universitat Munchen, Am Coulombwall, D 85748 Garching, Germany
Chemosphere 92:969-78. 2013Potential aerobic biodegradation mechanisms of the widely used polar, low-adsorptive sulfonamide antibiotic sulfamethoxazole (SMX) were investigated in activated sludge at bench scale...
- Phototransformation of selected pharmaceuticals during UV treatment of drinking waterSilvio Canonica
Eawag, Swiss Federal Institute of Aquatic Science and Technology, 8600 Dubendorf, Switzerland
Water Res 42:121-8. 2008..e., 17alpha-ethinylestradiol (EE2), diclofenac, sulfamethoxazole, and iopromide, was investigated in dilute solutions of pure water buffered at various pH values using a low-..
- Prospective, randomized, multicentric, open, comparative study on the efficacy of a prophylactic single dose of 500 mg levofloxacin versus 1920 mg trimethoprim/sulfamethoxazole versus a control group in patients undergoing TUR of the prostateF M E Wagenlehner
Urologic Clinic, Hospital St Elisabeth, St Elisabeth Str 23, D 94315 Straubing, Germany
Eur Urol 47:549-56. 2005..The efficacy of a prophylactic single dose of levofloxacin vs. trimethoprim/sulfamethoxazole (TMP/SMZ) vs...
- "Danger" conditions increase sulfamethoxazole-protein adduct formation in human antigen-presenting cellsS N Lavergne
Department of Pharmacology, Centre for Drug Safety Science, The University of Liverpool, Liverpool, UK
J Pharmacol Exp Ther 331:372-81. 2009..The aim of this project was to evaluate the impact of such "danger signals" on sulfamethoxazole (SMX) metabolism in human APC (peripheral blood mononuclear cells, Epstein-Barr virus-modified B lymphocytes, ..
- Removal of antibiotics from urban wastewater by constructed wetland optimizationMaría Hijosa-Valsero
Facultad de Ciencias Biologicas y Ambientales, Universidad de Leon, Campus de Vegazana s n, 24071 Leon, Spain
Chemosphere 83:713-9. 2011..the soluble water fraction, the only easily eliminated antibiotics in the WWTP were doxycycline (61±38%) and sulfamethoxazole (60±26%)...
- Human N-acetyltransferase 1 *10 and *11 alleles increase protein expression through distinct mechanisms and associate with sulfamethoxazole-induced hypersensitivityDanxin Wang
Department of Pharmacology, Program in Pharmacogenomics, School of Biomedical Science, Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio 43210, USA
Pharmacogenet Genomics 21:652-64. 2011..This study characterizes regulatory polymorphisms and underlying mechanisms of NAT1 expression...
- Fate of the antibiotic sulfamethoxazole and its two major human metabolites in a water sediment testMichael Radke
Department of Hydrology, University of Bayreuth, 95440 Bayreuth, Germany, Dr Margarete Fischer Bosch Institute of Clinical Pharmacology, Auerbachstrasse 112, 70376 Stuttgart, Germany
Environ Sci Technol 43:3135-41. 2009..The aim of this study was to determine the biodegradation potential of river sediment for the sulfonamide sulfamethoxazole (SMX) and its two major human metabolites N4-acetyl-SMX and SMX-N1-glucuronide using a water sediment test ..
- Dosing regimens of cotrimoxazole (trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole) for melioidosisAllen C Cheng
Menzies School of Health Research, Charles Darwin University, Darwin, Australia
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 53:4193-9. 2009..PK) simulation study was performed to determine the optimal dosing of cotrimoxazole (trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole [TMP-SMX]) used in current eradication regimens in Thailand and Australia...
- Multiple adduction reactions of nitroso sulfamethoxazole with cysteinyl residues of peptides and proteins: implications for hapten formationHayley E Callan
MRC Centre for Drug Safety Science, Department of Pharmacology and Therapeutics, School of Biomedical Sciences, The University of Liverpool, Liverpool L69 3GE, United Kingdom
Chem Res Toxicol 22:937-48. 2009b>Sulfamethoxazole (SMX) induces immunoallergic reactions that are thought to be a result of intracellular protein haptenation by its nitroso metabolite (SMX-NO mass, 267 amu)...
- Herbicidal effects of sulfamethoxazole in Lemna gibba: using p-aminobenzoic acid as a biomarker of effectRichard A Brain
Center for Reservoir and Aquatic Systems Research, Department of Environmental Science, Baylor University, Waco, Texas 76798, USA
Environ Sci Technol 42:8965-70. 2008b>Sulfamethoxazole (SMX) is among the most frequently detected antibiotics in the environment, heavily used in both human therapy and agriculture...
- Cloning and molecular characterization of three arylamine N-acetyltransferase genes from Bacillus anthracis: identification of unusual enzymatic properties and their contribution to sulfamethoxazole resistanceBenjamin Pluvinage
Laboratoire de Cytophysiologie et Toxicologie Cellulaire, EA 1553, Universite Paris 7 Denis Diderot, 75005 Paris, France
Biochemistry 46:7069-78. 2007..displayed strong NAT activity toward several prototypic NAT substrates, including the sulfonamide antibiotic sulfamethoxazole (SMX)...
- Prospective randomized trial of empiric therapy with trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole or doxycycline for outpatient skin and soft tissue infections in an area of high prevalence of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureusMary Jo Cenizal
University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, Texas 75390 9063, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 51:2628-30. 2007To evaluate empirical therapy with trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole or doxycycline for outpatient skin and soft tissue infections in an area of high prevalence of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus, a randomized, prospective, open-..
- Enzyme-mediated protein haptenation of dapsone and sulfamethoxazole in human keratinocytes: I. Expression and role of cytochromes P450Piyush M Vyas
Division of Pharmaceutics, College of Pharmacy, University of Iowa, Iowa City, Iowa, USA
J Pharmacol Exp Ther 319:488-96. 2006..Several arylamine drugs, such as sulfamethoxazole (SMX) and dapsone (DDS), undergo bioactivation, resulting in adduction to cellular proteins...
- Prevention of infection due to Pneumocystis spp. in human immunodeficiency virus-negative immunocompromised patientsMartin Rodriguez
Division of Infectious Diseases, Massachusetts General Hospital, 55 Fruit St, GRJ 504, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Clin Microbiol Rev 17:770-82, table of contents. 2004..Trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole is the agent of choice for prophylaxis against Pneumocystis unless a clear contraindication is identified...
- The effect of clarithromycin, fluconazole, and rifabutin on sulfamethoxazole hydroxylamine formation in individuals with human immunodeficiency virus infection (AACTG 283)Helen R Winter
University of Washington, Seattle 98195, USA
Clin Pharmacol Ther 76:313-22. 2004b>Sulfamethoxazole hydroxylamine formation, in combination with long-term oxidative stress, is thought to be the cause of high rates of adverse drug reactions to sulfamethoxazole in human immunodeficiency virus (HIV)-infected subjects...
- Distribution of integron-associated trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole resistance determinants among Escherichia coli from humans and food-producing animalsP L Ho
Division of Infectious Diseases, Department of Microbiology and Centre of Infection, The University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong, China
Lett Appl Microbiol 49:627-34. 2009To compare the distribution of integrons and trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole resistance genes among Escherichia coli isolates from humans and food-producing animals.
- Photodegradation of sulfamethoxazole in various aqueous media: persistence, toxicity and photoproducts assessmentAlam G Trovó
UNESP, Sao Paulo State University, Institute of Chemistry of Araraquara, Department of Analytical Chemistry, CP 355, 14801 970 Araraquara, SP, Brazil
Chemosphere 77:1292-8. 2009The photochemical transformation of sulfamethoxazole (SMX) was investigated in different water matrices: distilled water (DW), distilled water+nitrate (10 and 20 mg L(-1)) and seawater (SW) to evaluate its persistence, toxicity and ..
- Simultaneous removal of cadmium and sulfamethoxazole from aqueous solution by rice straw biocharXuan Han
Ministry of Education Key Laboratory of Environmental Remediation and Ecological Health, College of Environmental and Resource Sciences, Zhejiang University, Hangzhou 310058, China
J Zhejiang Univ Sci B 14:640-9. 2013The simultaneous sorption behavior and characteristics of cadmium (Cd) and sulfamethoxazole (SMX) on rice straw biochar were investigated. Isotherms of Cd and SMX were well modeled by the Langmuir equation (R(2)>0.95)...
- Sorption of antibiotic sulfamethoxazole varies with biochars produced at different temperaturesHao Zheng
College of Environmental Science and Engineering, Ocean University of China, Qingdao 266100, China
Environ Pollut 181:60-7. 2013Sorption of sulfonamides on biochars is poorly understood, thus sulfamethoxazole (SMX) sorption on biochars produced at 300-600 °C was determined as a function of pH and SMX concentration, as well as the inorganic fractions in the ..
- Effects on activated sludge bacterial community exposed to sulfamethoxazoleN Collado
LEQUIA, Institute of the Environment, University of Girona, Campus Montilivi, E 17071 Girona, Catalonia, Spain
Chemosphere 93:99-106. 2013..on a lab scale Sequencing Batch Reactor (SBR) fed with synthetic wastewater and exposed to 50μgL(-1) of sulfamethoxazole (SFX) for 2months was investigated in this study...
- Biodegradation of sulfamethoxazole: current knowledge and perspectivesSimone Larcher
Department of Chemical Engineering, McGill University, 3610 University Street, Montreal, QC, Canada, H3A 2B2
Appl Microbiol Biotechnol 96:309-18. 2012Antibiotic compounds, like sulfamethoxazole (SMX), have become a concern in the aquatic environment due to the potential development of antibacterial resistances...
- Sulfamethoxazole enhances the antimycobacterial activity of rifampicinLubabalo Macingwana
DST NRF Centre of Excellence for Biomedical Tuberculosis Research, MRC Centre for Molecular and Cellular Biology, Division of Molecular Biology and Human Genetics, Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences, Stellenbosch University, PO Box 19063 Francie van Zijl Drive, Tygerberg 7505, South Africa
J Antimicrob Chemother 67:2908-11. 2012To investigate the effect of trimethoprim/sulfamethoxazole on the survival of Mycobacterium tuberculosis and trimethoprim and sulfamethoxazole individually and combined with the first-line tuberculosis drugs (isoniazid, rifampicin and ..
- Polymorphism in glutamate cysteine ligase catalytic subunit (GCLC) is associated with sulfamethoxazole-induced hypersensitivity in HIV/AIDS patientsDanxin Wang
Department of Pharmacology, Program in Pharmacogenomics, School of Biomedical Science, College of Medicine, Ohio State University, Columbus, OH 43210, USA
BMC Med Genomics 5:32. 2012b>Sulfamethoxazole (SMX) is a commonly used antibiotic for prevention of infectious diseases associated with HIV/AIDS and immune-compromised states...
- Formation of diclofenac and sulfamethoxazole reversible transformation products in aquifer material under denitrifying conditions: batch experimentsManuela Barbieri
GHS, Dept of Geosciences, Institute of Environmental Assessment and Water Research, IDAEA CSIC, Jordi Girona 18 26, 08034 Barcelona, Spain
Sci Total Environ 426:256-63. 2012..Diclofenac and sulfamethoxazole exhibited an unreported and peculiar behavior...
- Changes in functional diversity of soil microbial community with addition of antibiotics sulfamethoxazole and chlortetracyclineFeng Liu
Key Laboratory of Agro ecological Processes in Subtropical Region, Institute of Subtropical Agriculture, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Changsha 410125, China
Appl Microbiol Biotechnol 95:1615-23. 2012..This paper investigated the changes in microbial functional diversity by spiking sulfamethoxazole (SMX) and chlortetracycline (CTC) in a loam paddy soil and then incubating for 21 days...
- The Bacillus anthracis arylamine N-acetyltransferase ((BACAN)NAT1) that inactivates sulfamethoxazole, reveals unusual structural features compared with the other NAT isoenzymesBenjamin Pluvinage
Universite Paris Diderot, Sorbonne Paris Cité, Unité BFA, EAC CNRS 4413, Paris, France
FEBS Lett 585:3947-52. 2011..The Bacillus anthracis (BACAN)NAT1 enzyme affords increased resistance to the antibiotic sulfamethoxazole through its acetylation. We report the structure of (BACAN)NAT1...
- Removal of carbamazepine and sulfamethoxazole by MBR under anoxic and aerobic conditionsFaisal I Hai
Strategic Water Infrastructure Laboratory, School of Civil Mining and Environmental Engineering, The University of Wollongong, NSW 2522, Australia
Bioresour Technol 102:10386-90. 2011..The removal efficiencies of carbamazepine and sulfamethoxazole by an MBR were systematically examined and compared under near-anoxic (DO=0...
- Adsorption of tetracycline and sulfamethoxazole on crop residue-derived ashes: implication for the relative importance of black carbon to soil sorptionLiangliang Ji
State Key Laboratory of Pollution Control and Resource Reuse and School of the Environment, Nanjing University, Jiangsu 210093, China
Environ Sci Technol 45:5580-6. 2011..Batch sorption experiments were performed for two reference antibiotics (sulfamethoxazole and tetracycline) on wheat- and maize-residue-derived black carbon...
- Sulfamethoxazole biodegradation and biotransformation in the water-sediment system of a natural riverBingjie Xu
College of Environmental Science and Engineering Tianjin Key Laboratory of Environmental Remediation and Pollution Control Ministry of Education Key Laboratory of Pollution Processes and Environmental Criteria, Nankai University, Wei Jin Road 94, Tianjin 300071, PR China
Bioresour Technol 102:7069-76. 2011In this study, the biodegradation of sulfamethoxazole (SMX) as affected by temperature, humic acid (HA) and SMX concentrations was investigated by HPLC-MS/MS analysis based on water-sediment batch experiments...
- Study of the toxicity of sulfamethoxazole and its degradation products in water by a bioluminescence method during application of the electro-Fenton treatmentA Dirany
Laboratoire Geomateriaux et Environnement, Universite Paris Est, 5 Bd Descartes, Champs sur Marne, 77454 Marne la Vallee Cedex 2, France
Anal Bioanal Chem 400:353-60. 2011b>Sulfamethoxazole (SMX) is a synthetic antibiotic widely applied as a bacteriostatic drug to treat a number of diseases...
- Characterization of pure cultures isolated from sulfamethoxazole-acclimated activated sludge with respect to taxonomic identification and sulfamethoxazole biodegradation potentialBastian Herzog
Chair of Urban Water Systems Engineering, Technische Universitat Munchen, Am Coulombwall, D 85748 Garching, Germany
BMC Microbiol 13:276. 2013b>Sulfamethoxazole (SMX, sulfonamide antibiotic) biodegradation by activated sludge communities (ASC) is still only partly understood...
- Stimulation of human T cells with sulfonamides and sulfonamide metabolitesJ Luis Castrejon
MRC Centre for Drug Safety Science, Department of Pharmacology, University of Liverpool, Liverpool L69 3GE, United Kingdom
J Allergy Clin Immunol 125:411-418.e4. 2010..Antigen-specific T cells are involved in the pathogenesis; however, the nature of the antigen interacting with specific T-cell receptors is not fully defined...
- Trimethoprim and sulfamethoxazole are selective inhibitors of CYP2C8 and CYP2C9, respectivelyXia Wen
Department of Clinical Pharmacology, University of Helsinki and Helsinki University Central Hospital, Helsinki, Finland
Drug Metab Dispos 30:631-5. 2002To evaluate the inhibitory effects of trimethoprim and sulfamethoxazole on cytochrome P450 (P450) isoforms, selective marker reactions for CYP1A2, CYP2A6, CYP2C8, CYP2C9, CYP2C19, CYP2D6, CYP2E1, and CYP3A4 were examined in human liver ..
- Proguanil plus sulfamethoxazole is not causally prophylactic in the Macaca mulatta--Plasmodium cynomolgi modelG D Shanks
Department of Medicine, Armed Forces Research Institute of Medical Sciences, Bangkok, Thailand
Am J Trop Med Hyg 50:641-5. 1994New drugs for causal prophylaxis of malaria are needed. A proguanil/sulfamethoxazole combination was investigated using a rhesus monkey model (Macaca mulatta infected with Plasmodium cynomolgi) to determine whether causal prophylaxis ..
- Individual and mixture toxicity of pharmaceuticals naproxen, carbamazepine, and sulfamethoxazole to Australian striped marsh frog tadpoles (Limnodynastes peronii)Steven D Melvin
a School of Medical and Applied Sciences, Central Queensland University, Gladstone, Queensland, Australia
J Toxicol Environ Health A 77:337-45. 2014..of striped marsh frog (Limnodynastes peronii) tadpoles exposed to a mixture of naproxen, carbamazepine, and sulfamethoxazole, compared to exposures to the individual compounds...
- The combination of sulfamethoxazole, trimethoprim, and isoniazid or rifampin is bactericidal and prevents the emergence of drug resistance in Mycobacterium tuberculosisCatherine Vilcheze
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, New York, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 56:5142-8. 2012..To overcome these issues, we reexamined two FDA-approved antibacterial drugs, sulfamethoxazole (SMX) and trimethoprim (TMP), for use in TB treatment...
- H-point standard additions method for simultaneous determination of sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim in pharmaceutical formulations and biological fluids with simultaneous addition of two analytesM H Givianrad
Islamic Azad University, Science and Research Branch, Department of Chemistry, Tehran, Iran
Spectrochim Acta A Mol Biomol Spectrosc 78:1196-200. 2011..of H-point standard additions method (HPSAM) to the resolving of overlapping spectra corresponding to the sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim is verified by UV-vis spectrophotometry...
- Fate of sulfamethoxazole, 4-nonylphenol, and 17beta-estradiol in groundwater contaminated by wastewater treatment plant effluentLarry B Barber
U S Geological Survey, 3215 Marine Street, Boulder, Colorado 80303, USA
Environ Sci Technol 43:4843-50. 2009..Fifteen percent of the 212 OWCs analyzed were detected, including the antibiotic sulfamethoxazole (SX), the nonionic surfactant degradation product 4-nonylphenol (NP), the solvent tetrachloroethene (PCE), ..
- Efficiency and energy requirements for the transformation of organic micropollutants by ozone, O3/H2O2 and UV/H2O2Ioannis A Katsoyiannis
Eawag, Swiss Federal Institute of Aquatic Science and Technology, Department of Water Resources and Drinking Water, Ueberlandstrasse 133, 8600 Dubendorf, Switzerland
Water Res 45:3811-22. 2011..the AOPs O(3)/H(2)O(2) and UV/H(2)O(2) for transformation of organic micropollutants, namely atrazine (ATR), sulfamethoxazole (SMX) and N-nitrosodimethylamine (NDMA) were compared. Three lake waters and a wastewater were assessed...
- Evaluation of the effects of sulfamethoxazole on Toxoplasma gondii loads and stage conversion in IFN-gamma knockout mice using QC-PCRUsama S Belal
Department of Infection and Host Defense, Graduate School of Medicine, Chiba University, Japan
Microbiol Immunol 48:185-93. 2004Toxoplasma gondii abundance with or without sulfamethoxazole treatment was evaluated by quantitative competitive polymerase chain reaction (QC-PCR) assay in various organs of IFN-gamma knockout BALB/c (B/c) mice after peroral infection ..
- Transformation of the antibacterial agent sulfamethoxazole in reactions with chlorine: kinetics, mechanisms, and pathwaysMichael C Dodd
School of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, Georgia 30332, USA
Environ Sci Technol 38:5607-15. 2004b>Sulfamethoxazole (SMX)--a member of the sulfonamide antibacterial class--has been frequently detected in municipal wastewater and surface water bodies in recent years...
- Role of human cyclooxygenase-2 in the bioactivation of dapsone and sulfamethoxazolePiyush M Vyas
Division of Pharmaceutics, College of Pharmacy, The University of Iowa, 115 S Grand Avenue, S213 PHAR, Iowa City, IA 52242, USA
Drug Metab Dispos 34:16-8. 2006b>Sulfamethoxazole (SMX) and dapsone (4,4'-diaminodiphenylsulfone, DDS) are believed to mediate their adverse effects subsequent to bioactivation to their respective arylhydroxylamine and arylnitroso metabolites, resulting in covalent ..
- Removal of sulfadiazine, sulfamethizole, sulfamethoxazole, and sulfathiazole from aqueous solution by ozonationTemesgen Garoma
Department of Civil, Construction, and Environmental Engineering, 5500 Campanile Drive, San Diego State University, San Diego, CA 92182, United States
Chemosphere 79:814-20. 2010The removal of sulfadiazine, sulfamethizole, sulfamethoxazole, and sulfathiazole from aqueous solution by ozonation was studied. The study was conducted experimentally in a semi-batch reactor under different experimental conditions, i.e...
- Sulfamethoxazole abatement by means of ozonationRenato F Dantas
Departament d Enginyeria Quimica, Universitat de Barcelona, Marti i Franques 1, 08028 Barcelona, Spain
J Hazard Mater 150:790-4. 2008b>Sulfamethoxazole (SMX) is a bacteriostatic antibiotic largely used for diverse types of illness...
- Sulfamethoxazole contamination of a deep phreatic aquiferDror Avisar
The Hydro chemistry Laboratory, The Department of Geography and the Environmental Studies, Tel Aviv University, Tel Aviv, Israel
Sci Total Environ 407:4278-82. 2009..b>Sulfamethoxazole (SMX) concentrations in secondary effluents varied between 90 and 150 ng/L...
- Enhanced antigenicity leads to altered immunogenicity in sulfamethoxazole-hypersensitive patients with cystic fibrosisAyman Elsheikh
MRC Centre for Drug Safety Science, Department of Pharmacology, University of Liverpool, Liverpool, United Kingdom
J Allergy Clin Immunol 127:1543-51.e3. 2011..Exposure of patients with cystic fibrosis to sulfonamides is associated with a high incidence of hypersensitivity reactions...
- Sorption behavior of potential organic wastewater indicators with soilsLiang Yu
CVT, Aachener Verfahrenstechnik, RWTH Aachen University, Turmstr 46, D 52056 Aachen, Germany
Water Res 43:951-60. 2009..potential wastewater indicators such as two antiepileptic drugs (carbamazepine, primidone), one sulfonamide (sulfamethoxazole), and one corrosion inhibitor (benzotriazole) were determined with three natural soils (Lufa 2...
- Covalent binding of the nitroso metabolite of sulfamethoxazole leads to toxicity and major histocompatibility complex-restricted antigen presentationDean J Naisbitt
Department of Pharmacology and Therapeutics, The University of Liverpool, Liverpool, United Kingdom
Mol Pharmacol 62:628-37. 2002Treatment with sulfamethoxazole (SMX) can lead to hypersensitivity reactions. T cells from hypersensitive patients recognize either the parent drug and/or the reactive nitroso (SMX-NO) metabolite...
- Roles of endogenous ascorbate and glutathione in the cellular reduction and cytotoxicity of sulfamethoxazole-nitrosoSidonie N Lavergne
Department of Medical Sciences, School of Veterinary Medicine, University of Wisconsin Madison, Madison, WI 53706 1102, USA
Toxicology 222:25-36. 2006b>Sulfamethoxazole (SMX) is an effective drug for the management of opportunistic infections, but its use is limited by hypersensitivity reactions, particularly in HIV-infected patients...
- Benzalkonium chloride and sulfamethoxazole adsorption onto natural clinoptilolite: effect of time, ionic strength, pH and temperatureTania Farías
Zeolites Engineering Laboratory, Institute of Materials Science and Technology IMRE, University of Havana, Havana, Cuba
J Colloid Interface Sci 363:465-75. 2011..physical factors on the adsorption of the cationic surfactant benzalkonium chloride (BC) and the model drug sulfamethoxazole by a purified natural clinoptilolite (NZ) has been studied in order to employ zeolite-surfactant-drug ..
- Application of solar advanced oxidation processes to the degradation of the antibiotic sulfamethoxazoleO Gonzalez
Chemical Engineering Department, University of Barcelona, Martí i Franquès 1 08028, Barcelona, Spain
Photochem Photobiol Sci 8:1032-9. 2009This work deals with the treatment of highly concentrated sulfamethoxazole (SMX) solutions by some advanced oxidation processes (AOPs) that have not been studied until now...
- Development of immunoassays to determinate sulfamethoxazole residues in wastewatersNuria Pastor-Navarro
Departamento de Quimica, Instituto de Quimica Molecular Aplicada, Universidad Politecnica de Valencia, Camino de Vera s n, 46071, Valencia, Spain
J Environ Monit 11:1094-100. 2009Different immunoassays have been developed to monitor sulfamethoxazole (SMX), an antibiotic frequently detected in water...
- Oxidation products of sulfamethoxazole in ozonated secondary effluentAngela Rodayan
Department of Chemical Engineering, McGill University, 3610 University Street, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H3A 2B2
J Hazard Mater 177:237-43. 2010In this study the antibiotic sulfamethoxazole (SMX) was subjected to ozone treatment. Solutions of 60 mg/L and 100 microg/L SMX in pure water and secondary municipal effluent were treated...
- Electrochemical abatement of the antibiotic sulfamethoxazole from waterAhmad Dirany
Universite Paris Est, Laboratoire Geomateriaux et Environnement, 5 Bd Descartes, 77454 Marne la Vallee Cedex 2, France
Chemosphere 81:594-602. 2010The electrochemical abatement of the antibiotic sulfamethoxazole (SMX) from aqueous solutions at pH 3.0 has been carried out by anodic oxidation and electro-Fenton (EF) processes with H(2)O(2) electrogeneration...
- Enzyme-mediated protein haptenation of dapsone and sulfamethoxazole in human keratinocytes: II. Expression and role of flavin-containing monooxygenases and peroxidasesPiyush M Vyas
Division of Pharmaceutics, College of Pharmacy, University of Iowa, Iowa City, Iowa, USA
J Pharmacol Exp Ther 319:497-505. 2006Arylamine compounds, such as sulfamethoxazole (SMX) and dapsone (DDS), are metabolized in epidermal keratinocytes to arylhydroxylamine metabolites that auto-oxidize to arylnitroso derivatives, which in turn bind to cellular proteins and ..
- Effects of the antimicrobial sulfamethoxazole on groundwater bacterial enrichmentJennifer C Underwood
United States Geological Survey, 3215 Marine Street, Boulder, Colorado 80303, USA
Environ Sci Technol 45:3096-101. 2011The effects of "trace" (environmentally relevant) concentrations of the antimicrobial agent sulfamethoxazole (SMX) on the growth, nitrate reduction activity, and bacterial composition of an enrichment culture prepared with groundwater ..
- Pharmaceutical retention mechanisms by nanofiltration membranesLong D Nghiem
Environmental Engineering, University of Wollongong, New South Wales 2522, Australia
Environ Sci Technol 39:7698-705. 2005This study investigates the retention mechanisms of three pharmaceuticals-sulfamethoxazole, carbamazepine, and ibuprofen-by nanofiltration (NF) membranes...
- Comparison of the pharmacokinetics of sulfamethoxazole in male chinese volunteers at low altitude and acute exposure to high altitude versus subjects living chronically at high altitude: an open-label, controlled, prospective studyXiang Yang Li
Department of Pharmacology, College of Life Science, Shenyang Pharmaceutical University, Shenyang, China
Clin Ther 31:2744-54. 2009b>Sulfamethoxazole is an antibacterial sulfonamide used primarily for the treatment of a wide variety of bacterial infections in combination with trimethoprim...
- Analysis of Pneumocystis jirovecii DHPS alleles implicated in sulfamethoxazole resistance using an Escherichia coli model systemPeter Iliades
CSIRO Health Sciences and Nutrition, Parkville, Victoria, 3052, Australia
Microb Drug Resist 11:1-8. 2005..Two sulfa drugs (sulfachloropyridazine and sulfathiazole) were identified that had higher inhibitory potential than sulfamethoxazole, which is currently the preferred treatment for PCP.
- Influence of reduced glutathione on the proliferative response of sulfamethoxazole-specific and sulfamethoxazole-metabolite-specific human CD4+ T-cellsC Burkhart
Clinic of Rheumatology and Clinical Immunology Allergology, Inselspital, 3010 Bern, Switzerland
Br J Pharmacol 132:623-30. 20011. Hypersensitivity to the drug sulfamethoxazole (SMX) is thought to be a consequence of bioactivation to the hydroxylamine metabolite (SMX-NHOH) and further oxidation to the ultimate reactive metabolite, nitroso-sulfamethoxazole (SMX-NO)...
- Sulfamethoxazole and its metabolite nitroso sulfamethoxazole stimulate dendritic cell costimulatory signalingJoseph P Sanderson
Department of Pharmacology and Therapeutics, University of Liverpool, Liverpool, United Kingdom
J Immunol 178:5533-42. 2007..In the context of sulfamethoxazole allergy, the Ag is thought to be derived from its toxic nitroso metabolite, but little is known about the ..
- Comparison of short-term treatment regimen of ciprofloxacin versus long-term treatment regimens of trimethoprim/sulfamethoxazole or norfloxacin for uncomplicated lower urinary tract infections: a randomized, multicentre, open-label, prospective studyJosé Luis Arredondo-García
Instituto Nacional de Perinatologia, Mexico City, Mexico
J Antimicrob Chemother 54:840-3. 2004..uncomplicated cystitis in ambulatory pre-menopausal women: ciprofloxacin 250 mg orally twice daily for 3 days, trimethoprim/sulfamethoxazole 160/800 mg orally twice daily for 7 days, and norfloxacin 400 mg orally twice daily for 7 days.
- Association analysis of drug metabolizing enzyme gene polymorphisms in HIV-positive patients with co-trimoxazole hypersensitivityM Pirmohamed
Department of Pharmacology and Terapeutics, The University of Liverpool, UK
Pharmacogenetics 10:705-13. 2000..Our results show that genetic polymorphisms in drug metabolizing enzymes are unlikely to be major predisposing factors in determining individual susceptibility to co-trimoxazole hypersensitivity in HIV-positive patients...
- Cross-reactivity in drug hypersensitivity reactions to sulfasalazine and sulfamethoxazoleAnna Zawodniak
Division of Allergology, Clinic for Rheumatology and Clinical Immunology Allergology, Inselspital, University of Bern, Bern, Switzerland
Int Arch Allergy Immunol 153:152-6. 2010..Therefore, we aimed to analyze in vitro the cross-reactivity between the antimicrobial sulfamethoxazole and the anti-inflammatory drug sulfasalazine.
- Application of nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy for quantitative analysis of miconazole, metronidazole and sulfamethoxazole in pharmaceutical and urine samplesA A Salem
Department of Chemistry, Faculty of Science, UAE University, Al Ain, UAE
J Pharm Biomed Anal 41:654-61. 2006Specific, accurate and precise NMR methods were developed for determining miconazole, metronidazole and sulfamethoxazole antibiotic drugs in authentic, pharmaceutical and urine samples...
- Non-covalent presentation of sulfamethoxazole to human CD4+ T cells is independent of distinct human leucocyte antigen-bound peptidesC Burkhart
Clinic of Rheumatology and Clinical Immunology Allergology, Inselspital, Bern, Switzerland
Clin Exp Allergy 32:1635-43. 2002..processing- and metabolism-independent pathway for the presentation of allergenic drugs such as lidocaine and sulfamethoxazole (SMX) to drug-specific T cells...
- Effects of mutations in Pneumocystis carinii dihydropteroate synthase gene on outcome of AIDS-associated P. carinii pneumoniaJ Helweg-Larsen
Department of Infectious Diseases, University of Copenhagen, Hvidovre Hospital, Denmark
Lancet 354:1347-51. 1999..We assessed whether mutations in the DHPS gene of P. carinii were associated with exposure to sulpha drugs and influenced outcome from PCP...
- Novel non-labile covalent binding of sulfamethoxazole reactive metabolites to cultured human lymphoid cellsMukesh Summan
Laboratory of Comparative Pharmacogenetics, Atlantic Veterinary College, PEI Health Research Institute, University of Prince Edward Island, 550 University Avenue, Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, Canada, C1A 4P3
Chem Biol Interact 142:155-73. 2002b>Sulfamethoxazole (SMX) causes rare hypersensitivity syndrome reactions characterized by fever and multi-organ toxicity...
- Dihydrofolate reductase and dihydropteroate synthase genotypes associated with in vitro resistance of Plasmodium falciparum to pyrimethamine, trimethoprim, sulfadoxine, and sulfamethoxazoleInsaf Khalil
Center for Medical Parasitology, Institute of Medical Microbiology and Immunology, University of Copenhagen, Panum Institute, Denmark
Am J Trop Med Hyg 68:586-9. 2003..isolates were tested in vitro against pyrimethamine (PYR), trimethoprim (TRM), sulfadoxine (SDX), and sulfamethoxazole (SMX), and their dihydrofolate reductase (dhfr) and dihydropteroate synthase (dhps) genotypes were determined...
- Dihydropteroate synthase mutations in Pneumocystis jiroveci can affect sulfamethoxazole resistance in a Saccharomyces cerevisiae modelPeter Iliades
CSIRO Health Sciences and Nutrition, 343 Royal Parade, Parkville, Victoria 3052, Australia
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 48:2617-23. 2004..synthase (DHPS) mutations in Pneumocystis jiroveci have been associated epidemiologically with resistance to sulfamethoxazole (SMX). Since P. jiroveci cannot be cultured, inherent drug resistance cannot be measured...
- Stenotrophomonas maltophilia resistant to trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole: an increasing problemAsma Marzouq Al-Jasser
Department of Microbiology, Armed Forces Hospital, Box X 966, P O Box 7897, Riyadh 11159, Saudi Arabia
Ann Clin Microbiol Antimicrob 5:23. 2006..Trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole (TMP - SXT) is recommended as the agent of choice for the treatment of S. maltophilia infections...
- On the occasional biodegradation of pharmaceuticals in the activated sludge process: the example of the antibiotic sulfamethoxazoleP Drillia
Department of Chemical Engineering, University of Patras, Greece
J Hazard Mater 122:259-65. 2005b>Sulfamethoxazole, a common antibiotic, was found to be biodegradable under aerobic conditions. The fate of sulfamethoxazole in the activated sludge process was studied using a Sequencing Batch Reactor (SBR)...
- Prevalence and predictors of trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole resistance among uropathogenic Escherichia coli isolates in MichiganPatricia D Brown
Division of Infectious Diseases, Department of Internal Medicine, Wayne State University, School of Medicine, Detroit, MI, USA
Clin Infect Dis 34:1061-6. 2002Resistance among uropathogenic Escherichia coli to trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole (TMP-SMX) has increased. Risk factors for resistance and the impact on clinical failure have been poorly described...
- Continuous on-line concentration based on dynamic pH junction for trimethoprim and sulfamethoxazole by microfluidic capillary electrophoresis combined with flow injection analysis systemLiuyin Fan
Department of Chemistry, Lanzhou University, Lanzhou, Gansu Province 730000, PR China
J Chromatogr A 1062:133-7. 2005..on-line concentration approach based on dynamic pH junction for the analysis of trimethoprim (TMP) and sulfamethoxazole (SMZ) by microfluidic capillary electrophoresis (CE) combined with flow injection analysis is developed in ..
- Attempts to eradicate methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus colonization with the use of trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole, rifampin, and bacitracinJ S Roccaforte
Medical Services, Veterans Administration Medical Center, Omaha, NE 68105
Am J Infect Control 16:141-6. 1988..9 antibiotics preceded the first MRSA culture. The usual regimen (mean, 6.0 days) was oral trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole, 160/800 mg twice daily, oral rifampin, 600 mg once daily, and bacitracin ointment three times a day...
- In vitro activity of caspofungin combined with sulfamethoxazole against clinical isolates of Aspergillus sppAya Yekutiel
Department of Human Microbiology, Sackler School of Medicine, Tel Aviv University, Ramat Aviv 69978, Tel Aviv, Israel
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 48:3279-83. 2004Caspofungin (CAS) inhibits fungal cell wall synthesis. Sulfamethoxazole (SMX) inhibits folate biosynthesis and is active in vitro against Aspergillus spp...
- Occurrence and sorption behavior of sulfonamides, macrolides, and trimethoprim in activated sludge treatmentAnke Göbel
Swiss Federal Institute for Environmental Science and Technology EAWAG, CH 8600 Dubendorf, Switzerland
Environ Sci Technol 39:3981-9. 2005..The most predominant macrolide and sulfonamide antimicrobials were clarithromycin and sulfamethoxazole, respectively...
- Simultaneous determination and validation of antimicrobials in plasma and tissue of actinomycetoma by high-performance liquid chromatography with diode array and fluorescence detectionNorma Cavazos-Rocha
Department of Analytical Chemistry, Facultad de Medicina, UANL, Mexico
J Pharm Biomed Anal 43:1775-81. 2007..antimicrobials proposed for the treatment of actinomycotic mycetoma: amoxicillin, trimethoprim, linezolid, sulfamethoxazole and garenoxacin. Separation of the analytes was achieved on an Atlantis dC18 column (150 mm x 4...
- N. paucivorans infection presenting as a brain abscessShah Naz Hayat Khan
Division of Neurosurgery, Department of Surgery Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Can J Neurol Sci 33:426-7. 2006
- Intermittent unexplained abdominal pain: is it porphyria?Joseph R Bloomer
Liver Center and Division of Gastroenterology Hepatology, Department of Medicine, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, Alabama 35294 0005, USA
Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 5:1255-8; quiz 1244. 2007
- Ecthyma gangrenosum in a patient with toxic epidermal necrolysisDouglas M Downey
Department of Surgery, Wright State University School of Medicine, Dayton, Ohio, USA
J Burn Care Res 28:198-202. 2007..We present a case of a patient admitted to the burn unit for toxic epidermal necrolysis who developed pseudomonal bacteremia with ecthyma gangrenosum...
- Determination of six anti-infectives in wastewater using tandem solid-phase extraction and liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometryPedro A Segura
Departement de Chimie, Universite de Montreal, C P 6128, Succursale Centre Ville, Montreal, QC, CanadaH3C 3J7
J Environ Monit 9:307-13. 2007..Mean flows of anti-infectives were estimated from effluent concentrations and it was found that large amounts (>118 g day(-1) up to 830 g day(-1)) are discharged in the receiving waters of the St Lawrence River...
- An analysis of a community-acquired pathogen in a Kentucky community: methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureusForest W Arnold
University of Louisville School of Medicine, KY 40292, USA
J Ky Med Assoc 103:206-10. 2005..Reviewing risk factors in adult patients with CA-MRSA in Kentucky has not been reported...
- Micellar electrokinetic chromatography method for the determination of sulfamethoxazole, trimethoprim and their main metabolites in human serumJuan José Berzas Nevado
Regional Institute for Applied Scientific Research, University of Castilla La Mancha, Avenida de Camilo José Cela, 10, 13071 Ciudad Real, Spain
J Sep Sci 28:543-8. 2005..sample clean-up and a micellar electrokinetic chromatographic method, is presented for the determination of sulfamethoxazole, trimethoprim, and their main metabolites by using 20 mmol L(-1) borate buffer (pH 9...
- Evaluating the vulnerability of surface waters to antibiotic contamination from varying wastewater treatment plant dischargesAngela L Batt
Department of Chemistry, The State University of New York at Buffalo, 608 Natural Sciences Complex, Buffalo, NY 14260 3000, USA
Environ Pollut 142:295-302. 2006..b>Sulfamethoxazole, trimethoprim, ciprofloxacin, tetracycline, and clindamycin were detected in the effluents at concentrations ..
- Conjunctival flora in patients with human immunodeficiency virus infectionYasuyuki Yamauchi
Department of Ophthalmology, Tokyo Medical University Hospital, Shinjuku, Tokyo, Japan
Ocul Immunol Inflamm 13:301-4. 2005..Also, to assess the prophylactic effect of oral clarithromycin against Mycobacterium avium complex on the conjunctival flora of HIV-positive patients...
- Bartonella henselae bacilli detected in vitrectomy aspirates in a patient with massive vitreous opacity with total retinal detachmentToshihiko Matsuo
Department of Ophthalmology, Okayama University Graduate School of Medicine and Dentistry, Okayama City, Japan
Ocul Immunol Inflamm 14:47-9. 2006..To present endophthalmitis-like massive vitreous opacity as a manifestation of cat-scratch disease...
- Postpartum iliopsoas pyomyositis due to community-acquired methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureusKaren M Sokolov
Department of Radiation Oncology, University of California Los Angeles, CA, USA
Obstet Gynecol 110:535-8. 2007..A new, serious community-acquired MRSA manifestation, postpartum iliopsoas pyomyositis is described...
- Antibiotic resistance in bacteria from shrimp farming in mangrove areasTuan Xuan Le
Centre for Natural Resources and Environmental Studies, Vietnam National University Hanoi, Quoc Tu Giam St, Vietnam
Sci Total Environ 349:95-105. 2005..to investigate bacterial resistance to Norfloxacin (NFXC), Oxolinic Acid (OXLA), Trimethoprim (TMP) and Sulfamethoxazole (SMX), which were found in four shrimp farming locations in mangrove areas in Vietnam...
- Pulmonary nocardiosis: risk factors and outcomesRaquel Martínez Tomás
Pneumology Service, Hospital Universitario La Fe, Valencia, and Universidad Autonoma de Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
Respirology 12:394-400. 2007..which can behave either as opportunistic or primary pathogens. The present study identifies the risk factors for PN, clinical symptoms and radiographic features and the factors that affect its prognosis...
- Oropharyngeal colonization by Streptococcus pneumoniae among HIV-infected adults in Uganda: assessing prevalence and antimicrobial susceptibilityDavid B Blossom
Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio, USA
Int J Infect Dis 10:458-64. 2006..To evaluate characteristics of Streptococcus pneumoniae associated with oropharyngeal colonization in the Ugandan adult HIV population...
- [Inguinal swelling: pressure-sensitive, overheated. A 66-year-old patient, pensioner in Portugal]V Orelli
Medizinische Abteilung, Bezirksspital, Affoltern am Albis
Praxis (Bern 1994) 95:1845-7. 2006
- Multidrug-resistant Ewingella americana: a case report and review of the literatureMelanie W Pound
School of Pharmacy, Campbell University, Buies Creek, NC 27506, USA
Ann Pharmacother 41:2066-70. 2007..To describe and report a case of multidrug-resistant Ewingella americana associated with exacerbation of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)...
- Molecular Basis of E. coli Adhesins in Bladder DisordersScott J Hultgren; Fiscal Year: 2013..use of antibiotics is leading to increased resistance to first-line empiric therapie such as trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole and the undesirable use of fluoroquinolones for empiric treatment of UTI...
- Pneumocystis jirovecii Targeted Antiopportunistic AgentsAleem Gangjee; Fiscal Year: 2013..Trimethoprim/sulfamethoxazole (TMP/SMX), the combination of a dihydrofolate reductase (DHFR) inhibitor (TMP) and a dihydropteroate synthase ..
- Structural Studies of AIDS-Responsive DrugsVivian Cody; Fiscal Year: 2010..Current treatment for PcP combines sulfamethoxazole with trimethoprim, targeting folate biosynthesis...
- An Integrated Diagnostic System for Rapid Antimicrobial Susceptibility TestingVINCENT JEN JR GAU; Fiscal Year: 2013..An example of the problem was the rapid emergence of trimethoprim- sulfamethoxazole (SXT) resistant E. coli, which accounts for 85-90% of the UTIs in the community setting...
- Patient-Oriented Research and Mentoring in PneumocystisLaurence Huang; Fiscal Year: 2010..investigate the non-invasive diagnosis of Pneumocystis pneumonia (PCP) and TB and will examine trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole drug resistance in Pneumocystis...
- Epidemic CA-MRSA: Molecular Epidemiology and ImmunologyRobert S Daum; Fiscal Year: 2013..the patients enrolled in the DMID-funded "Randomized, Double-Blind Trial of Clindamycin, Trimethoprim-Sulfamethoxazole, or Placebo for Uncomplicated Skin and Soft Tissue Infections Caused by Community-Associated Methicillin-..
- Cranberry: Interactions with Anti-infectious AgentsGail Anderson; Fiscal Year: 2005..The bacterial pathogens in UTI are typically responsive to trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole, quinolones, and the beta-lactams (penicillins, cephalosporins)...
- Mechanisms of risk for sulfoniamide hypersensitivityLauren A Trepanier; Fiscal Year: 2013..b>Sulfamethoxazole (SMX), in combination with trimethoprim (TMP), can lead to fever, skin rash and multi-organ toxicity, and is ..
- Differences in infecting and colonizing Enterobacteriaceae from short-course vs sScott J Weissman; Fiscal Year: 2013..either standard (10-day) or short-course (5-day) therapy with one of three antibiotic regimens: trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole (TMP-SMX);amoxicillin-clavulanate (AMC);or cefixime (CFX)/cefdinir (CFD)...
- Small molecule inhibitors of bacterial iron acquisition systemsHarry L Mobley; Fiscal Year: 2013..Infections are routinely treated with antibiotics including trimethoprim- sulfamethoxazole or quinolones...
- Clinical trial of trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole or chloroquine in adults on ARTMiriam K Laufer; Fiscal Year: 2013..lack evidence to guide decisions about whether and when to stop antimicrobial prophylaxis with trimethroprim-sulfamethoxazole (TS, co-trimoxazole) in patients who are on antiretroviral therapy (ART)...
- RIVUR StudyTej K Mattoo; Fiscal Year: 2012..a total of 600 children will be randomly assigned to daily antimicrobial prophylaxis (trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole) or placebo (300 in each group) and followed for a 2-year period...
- TS PROPHYLAXIS AND DRUG-RESISTANT MALARIA IN MALAWICHRISTOPHER PLOWE; Fiscal Year: 2003DESCRIPTION: Two recent studies found that trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole (TS) prophylaxis reduced hospitalizations and mortality among HIV-infected persons in Cote d'Ivoire, and policies of widespread TS prophylaxis for HIV-infected ..
- Randomized Intervention for Vesico-Ureteral Reflux (RIVUR) TrialMing Hsien Wang; Fiscal Year: 2012..VUR using voiding cystourethrography (VCU), are randomized to antimicrobial prophylaxis with trimethoprim/sulfamethoxazole (TMP/SMZ) or placebo...
- IMPACT OF TS PROPHYLAXIS ON ANTIFOLATE RESISTANT MALARIAJames Kublin; Fiscal Year: 2000..Two recent studies found that trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole (TS) prophylaxis benefited HlV-infected persons in Cote d'lvoire...
- Pharmacogenetics of sulfamethoxazole in HIV/AIDS patientsDanxin Wang; Fiscal Year: 2009DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Cotrimoxazole (Trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole, TMP-SMX) is the agent of choice for prophylaxis against opportunistic infections associated with HIV/AIDS and other immuno-compromised states...
- Novel, P. jirovecii Specific Antipneumocystis AgentsAleem Gangjee; Fiscal Year: 2009..Trimethoprim/sulfamethoxazole the combination of a dihydrofolate reductase (DHFR) inhibitor trimethoprim and a dihydropteroate synthase (..
- TS PROPHYLAXIS AND DRUG-RESISTANT MALARIA IN MALAWICHRISTOPHER PLOWE; Fiscal Year: 2007unreadable] DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Studies in Cote D'lvoire found that trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole (TS) reduced hospitalizations and mortality among HIV-infected persons who were not receiving antiretroviral therapy...
- POLYAMINE METABOLISM AND AIDS ASSOCIATED PNEUMONIAALLEN CLARKSON JR; Fiscal Year: 1992..infections, is routinely based on only two drug therapies; pentamidine and a combination of trimethoprim with sulfamethoxazole. Considerable success has been met in clinical trials using an anti- polyamine agent, DL-alpha-..
- REACTIONS TO TRIMETHOPRIM-SULFAMETHOXAZOLE IN AIDSManuel Lopez; Fiscal Year: 1990..for opportunistic protozoan infections commonly includes sulfonamide drugs, and especially the combination of sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim...
- METABOLIC BASIS OF SULFONAMIDE TOXICITY IN AIDS PATIENTSCRAIG SVENSSON; Fiscal Year: 1999The use of sulfamethoxazole-trimethoprim (TMP-SMX) is associated with idiosyncratic/hypersensitivity reactions which significantly limit its use, and the frequency of these reactions is increased in HIV infected patients...
- Mechanisms of Cutaneous Drug ReactionsCRAIG SVENSSON; Fiscal Year: 2004..The objective of the present proposal is to test the validity of our hypothesis using sulfamethoxazole (SMX) and dapsone, which are among the most frequent CDR-inducing drugs, as model compounds...
- S-Adenosylmethionine and Pneumocystis treatmentSalim Merali; Fiscal Year: 2009..the ability of nicotine to treat rat model of PCP: We will look for synergism using nicotine and trimethoprim/sulfamethoxazole, the primary drug for treatment of PCP...
- PNEUMOCYSTIS CARINII IN CONTINOUS AXENIC CULTUREALLEN CLARKSON JR; Fiscal Year: 2001..These isolates will be studied in vitro for sensitivity to the combination of trimethoprim + sulfamethoxazole (the mainstay for both treatment of and prophylaxis against P...
- CHITIN SYNTHESIS IN PNEUMOCYSTISMichael Horst; Fiscal Year: 1990..Only two pharmacological agents, trimethoprim sulfamethoxazole and pentamidine are currently used to treat P...
- Rebound Malaria Following Trimethoprim-Sulfamethoxazole Prophylaxis in ChildrenTaylor Sandison; Fiscal Year: 2010..Per WHO recommendations, trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole (TS) prophylaxis is used throughout Africa in all HIV- infected and exposed (uninfected children born to ..
- BIOLOGY AND TREATMENT OF AIDS LYMPHOMASRichard Fisher; Fiscal Year: 1993..with a reduced dose and shortened course of ProMACE-CytaBOM accompanied by low dose trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole, AZT, and GCSF; b) primary CNS lymphomas with irradiation followed by the previously described chemotherapy ..
- Randomized, controlled trial of daily trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole or weekly chlCHRISTOPHER PLOWE; Fiscal Year: 2008unreadable] DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): A daily regimen of the antibacterial drug trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole (TS) reduces disease and death among people living with HIV in sub-Saharan Africa by preventing opportunistic ..
- Resistant E.coli in Humans and PoultryJames Johnson; Fiscal Year: 2005..Goals: Assess poultry contact and consumption as risk factors for human colonization with trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole (TS)-, fluoroquinolone (FQ)-, and extended-spectrum cephalosporin (ESC)-resistant E. coli (i.e...
- Nitogen reduction and xenobiotic responseLauren A Trepanier; Fiscal Year: 2010..Hydroxylamine and nitroso metabolites have been implicated in the pathogenesis of adverse reactions to sulfamethoxazole (SMX) and other arylamine drugs...
- Molecular Epidemiology of Human P. carinii PneumoniaLaurence Huang; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- TRANSMISSION OF PNEUMOCYSTIS INFECTIONMelanie Cushion; Fiscal Year: 2001..These studies will result in a clearer understanding of the biology leading to infection with Pc and will provide a rational basis for clinical management and therapeutic intervention. ..
- Eighth International Workshops on Opportunistic ProtistsMelanie Cushion; Fiscal Year: 2003..Mead's and Cushion's ancestors include native Americans; Marciano-Cabral is Hispanic; Kaneshiro has Pacific-Asian ancestry; Lindsay, Weiss are white. Lindsay is a physically handicapped individual. ..
- New Approaches for Development of PcP TherapyMelanie Cushion; Fiscal Year: 2006..The most widely utilized therapy is trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole (TMP-SMX)...
- PNEUMOCYSTIS GENOME PROJECTMelanie Cushion; Fiscal Year: 2004..Thus, there is but a single aim to this proposal: 1. To finish sequencing the genome of pneumocystis carinii and provide a completed assembly. ..
- Individualizing Diabetes Care for Older PeopleElbert Huang; Fiscal Year: 2007..Along with more research training, these studies will also help me reach my overall goal of becoming an independent investigator in the areas of geriatric diabetes and cost-effectiveness analysis. ..
- ENZYME DEFECTS IN DISORDERS OF PROTOPORPHYRIN METABOLISMJoseph Bloomer; Fiscal Year: 2005..The proposal thus is designed to define a critical relationship between FECH gene expression and phenotype in EPP which will lead to better genetic counseling and therapy. ..
- FACTORS IN PEDIATRIC AIDS TRANSMISSION AND PATHOGENESISStephen Spector; Fiscal Year: 2005..The findings of this research will provide an improved understanding of the pathogenesis of HIV-1 infection of children and perinatal transmission, and help to develop improved treatment/prevention strategies. ..
- TUBERCULOSIS ADHERENCE PARTNERSHIP ALLIANCE STUDYWafaa El Sadr; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- HARLEM AIDS TREATMENT GROUP-'CPCRA'Wafaa El Sadr; Fiscal Year: 2006..They also are committed to the conduct of large long-term studies as a means of answering key questions in HIV management that cannot be answered through shorter trials. ..
- MARYLAND INTERSTITIAL CYSTITIS CLINICAL TRIALS GROUPJohn Warren; Fiscal Year: 2003..This group will bring to the IC CTG experienced, motivated, and dedicated investigators; a new cadre of IC patients; and a network of referring urologists/gynecologists to study management strategies for this distressing disease. ..
- IDENTIFICATION OF AIRWAY EPITHELIAL STEM CELLSScott Randell; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- Epidemiology of an uropathogenic E coli clonal groupLee Riley; Fiscal Year: 2003..coli can be spread by contaminated ingestible vehicles, and use the data generated from this project to design long-term studies to better characterize risk factors associated with CgA infection. ..
- Novel Methods to Access Brain Function in HIV-1Christina Marra; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- PSEUDOMONAS AUTOINDUCER BIOSYNTHESIS AND DRUG DISCOVERYHerbert Schweizer; Fiscal Year: 2001..These studies should provide a better understanding of the quorum sensing pathways and lead to the identification of novel anti microbial targets and antimicrobials effective against gram-negative pathogens. ..
- H2O2-PRODUCING LACTOBACILLI AND POSTMENOPAUSAL UTIKalpana Gupta; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- In vivo regulation of M. tuberculosis cell wall lipidsLee W Riley; Fiscal Year: 2010..tuberculosis and granulomas may contribute to our understanding of the mechanism of persistence of M. tuberculosis that could lead to new tests to differentiate active TB from latent TB infection. ..
- Regulation and function of Pseudomonas drug efflux pumpsHerbert Schweizer; Fiscal Year: 2006..Aim 3: Probe other, perhaps global regulators of efflux operon expression, specifically MexS and PA4878. ..
- Prediciting Severe Neonatal HyperbilirubinemiaRon Keren; Fiscal Year: 2007....
- HIV PREVENTION TRIAL UNIT (PRIDE NYC PROGRAM)Wafaa El Sadr; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Orgin of multidrug resistant uropathogenic E. coliLee Riley; Fiscal Year: 2008..This knowledge should lead to the implementation of improved control of drug-resistant infectious diseases. ..
- Safety Pharmacokinetics & Efficacy of Artemether & Lumefantrine in Pregnant WomenMark Mirochnick; Fiscal Year: 2008..The data from this planned study will provide the information needed to ensure that pregnant women receive the appropriate doses of these anti-malaria drugs. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- PEDIATRIC AIDS CLINICAL TRIALS GROUPStephen Spector; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Forging Implementation of Cancer Screening Reminder Systems (FICSRS)Adrianne Feldstein; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- A Case Control Study of Interstitial CystitisJohn Warren; Fiscal Year: 2006..4) That patients with IC have remissions and that certain clinical features, e.g., bacterial cystitis at disease onset, are prognostic factors for remissions. ..
- Rapid and Simple CSF Tests for Neurosyphillis DiagnosisChristina Marra; Fiscal Year: 2006..The results of this study will be used to design field trials in the areas of greatest need. ..
- Therapeutic vaccine against tuberculosisLee Riley; Fiscal Year: 2006..Therapeutic vaccines against TB is a major priority in TB control, and we have an opportunity to identify such products by a novel approach using a simple, inexpensive, and reproducible animal model. ..
- Antiretroviral Therapy of AIDS-Related Kaposi's Sarcoma in AfricaJeffrey Martin; Fiscal Year: 2009..Findings from this work will both help to inform clinical care of patients with AIDS-related KS in Africa and provide biological insights into the effect of antiretroviral therapy on underlying KSHV infection. ..
- Susceptibility Testing, Treatment Choices, and Outcomes of MDR-GNB InfectionsLisa Saiman; Fiscal Year: 2009..Carefully conducted observational studies and clinically relevant in vitro antimicrobial susceptibility testing, hold the greatest promise to improve the treatment of patients infected with mutidrug-resistant organisms. ..
- Pilot Trial of Metformin in Amnestic MCIJose A Luchsinger; Fiscal Year: 2010....