Genomes and Genes
Summary: Four-membered cyclic AMIDES, best known for the PENICILLINS based on a bicyclo-thiazolidine, and including monocyclic MONOBACTAMS. BETA-LACTAMASES hydrolyze the beta lactam ring, accounting for BETA-LACTAM RESISTANCE of infective bacteria.
Publications214 found, 100 shown here
- Penicillin-binding proteins and beta-lactam resistanceAndré Zapun
Laboratoire d Ingénierie des Macromolécules, Institut de Biologie Structurale Jean Pierre Ebel, UMR 5075 CNRS, CEA, Universite Joseph Fourier, Grenoble, France
FEMS Microbiol Rev 32:361-85. 2008....
- Carbapenem-resistant Escherichia coli and Klebsiella pneumoniae isolates from Turkey with OXA-48-like carbapenemases and outer membrane protein lossDolunay Gulmez
Hacettepe University Faculty of Medicine, Department of Microbiology and Clinical Microbiology, 06100 Sihhiye, Ankara, Turkey
Int J Antimicrob Agents 31:523-6. 2008..Both isolates also had group 1 CTX-M-type ESBLs and had lost major outer membrane proteins. OXA-48-like carbapenemases appear to be scattered in Turkey and surveillance to determine their prevalence is warranted...
- Genetic structures at the origin of acquisition of the beta-lactamase bla KPC geneThierry Naas
Service de Bacteriologie Virologie, INSERM U914 Emerging Resistance to Antibiotics, Hopital de Bicetre, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, Le Kremlin Bicêtre 94275, and Faculté de Médecine Paris Sud, Paris, France
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 52:1257-63. 2008..Tn4401 is likely at the origin of carbapenem-hydrolyzing beta-lactamase KPC mobilization to plasmids and its further insertion into various-sized plasmids identified in nonclonally related K. pneumoniae and P. aeruginosa isolates...
- Beta-lactam antibiotics offer neuroprotection by increasing glutamate transporter expressionJeffrey D Rothstein
Department of Neurology, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland 21287, USA
Nature 433:73-7. 2005..Thus these studies provide a class of potential neurotherapeutics that act to modulate the expression of glutamate neurotransmitter transporters via gene activation...
- The penicillin-binding proteins: structure and role in peptidoglycan biosynthesisEric Sauvage
Centre d Ingénierie des Protéines, Institut de Physique B5a et Institut de Chimie B6a, University of Liege, Sart Tilman, Belgium
FEMS Microbiol Rev 32:234-58. 2008..An overview of the content in PBPs of some bacteria is provided with an emphasis on comparing the biochemical properties of homologous PBPs (orthologues) belonging to different bacteria...
- Beta-lactamases in ampicillin-resistant Escherichia coli isolates from foods, humans, and healthy animalsLaura Brinas
Área de Bioquímica y Biología Molecular, Universidad de La Rioja, 26006 Logrono, Spain
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 46:3156-63. 2002..Different variants of bla(TEM-1) and IRT bla(TEM) genes were found among the AMP(r) E. coli isolates from foods and the feces of humans and healthy animals, and a new gene, bla(TEM-95b) (P3), was detected...
- Emergence of CTX-M-type beta-lactam resistance in Shigella spp. in Hong KongTerence Kin Man Cheung
Int J Antimicrob Agents 25:350-2. 2005
- SOS response induction by beta-lactams and bacterial defense against antibiotic lethalityChristine Miller
Department of Genetics, Stanford University, Stanford, CA 94305, USA
Science 305:1629-31. 2004....
- Prevalence and clonality of extended-spectrum beta-lactamases in AsiaP M Hawkey
Division of Immunity and Infection, University of Birmingham, Birmingham and Health Protection Agency, West Midlands Public Health Laboratory, Birmingham Heart of England NHS Trust, Bordesley Green East, Birmingham, UK
Clin Microbiol Infect 14:159-65. 2008..The high prevalence of ESBL genes in Asia means that the empirical treatment of serious infections with beta-lactam antibiotics, except carbapenems, is seriously compromised...
- Clinical predictors of treatment failure for diabetic foot infections: data from a prospective trialBenjamin A Lipsky
Veterans Affairs Puget Sound Health Care System, University of Washington School of Medicine, Seattle, WA 98108 1597, USA
Int Wound J 4:30-8. 2007..Increased white blood cell count and severe UT wound grade at baseline, but not other features, were significant independent and additive risk factors for clinical failure in patients treated for a diabetic foot infection...
- Differential effects of beta-lactams on human IFN-gamma activityBernadette M Brooks
Department of Pharmacology and Therapeutics, University of Liverpool, Ashton Street, Liverpool L69 3GE, UK
J Antimicrob Chemother 56:1122-5. 2005....
- Pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of ertapenem: an overview for cliniciansDavid E Nix
University of Arizona College of Pharmacy, Tucson, AZ, USA
J Antimicrob Chemother 53:ii23-8. 2004..Ertapenem is neither a substrate nor an inhibitor of P-glycoprotein or cytochrome P450 enzymes; significant drug interactions between ertapenem and drugs handled by these systems are not expected...
- Combinations of vancomycin and beta-lactams are synergistic against staphylococci with reduced susceptibilities to vancomycinM W Climo
Department of Medicine, Medical College of Virginia Campus of Virginia Commonwealth University, Hunter Holmes McGuire Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Richmond, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 43:1747-53. 1999....
- Effect of D240G substitution in a novel ESBL CTX-M-27R Bonnet
Laboratoire de Bacteriologie, Faculte de Medecine, Service de Bacteriologie Virologie, 28 Place Henri Dunant, 63001 Clermont Ferrand cedex, France
J Antimicrob Chemother 52:29-35. 2003....
- Occurrence of extended-spectrum beta-lactamases in members of the genus Shigella in the Republic of KoreaSeonghan Kim
Laboratory of Enteric Infections, Department of Microbiology, National Institute of Health Korea, Eunpyeong gu, Seoul, Republic of Korea 122 701
J Clin Microbiol 42:5264-9. 2004..This is the first report of the presence of TEM-17, TEM-19, and TEM-20 in Korea and in S. sonnei...
- Piperacillin-tazobactam for Pseudomonas aeruginosa infection: clinical implications of an extended-infusion dosing strategyThomas P Lodise
Department of Pharmacy Practice, Albany College of Pharmacy, Albany, NY 12208, USA
Clin Infect Dis 44:357-63. 2007..This study evaluates the clinical implications of extended infusion of piperacillin-tazobactam therapy for critically ill patients with P. aeruginosa infection...
- A study evaluating the efficacy, safety, and tolerability of ertapenem versus ceftriaxone for the treatment of community-acquired pneumonia in adultsGuillermo Ortiz-Ruiz
Hospital Santa Clara, Bogota, Colombia
Clin Infect Dis 34:1076-83. 2002..8% versus 2.0%) in the ertapenem and ceftriaxone groups, respectively. These results suggest that ertapenem and ceftriaxone therapy have similar efficacy and safety in hospitalized patients with community-acquired pneumonia...
- Ertapenem once a day versus piperacillin-tazobactam every 6 hours for treatment of acute pelvic infections: a prospective, multicenter, randomized, double-blind studySubir Roy
Keck School of Medicine at USC, Los Angeles, CA, USA
Infect Dis Obstet Gynecol 11:27-37. 2003..To compare ertapenem therapy with piperacillin-tazobactam therapy for the management of acute pelvic infections...
- Ertapenem versus ceftriaxone followed by appropriate oral therapy for treatment of complicated urinary tract infections in adults: results of a prospective, randomized, double-blind multicenter studyKevin M Tomera
Alaska Clinical Research Center, Anchorage, Alaska, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 46:2895-900. 2002..In this study, ertapenem was as effective as ceftriaxone for the initial treatment of complicated UTIs in adults, was generally well tolerated, and had a similar overall safety profile...
- Pharmacodynamic target attainment of six beta-lactams and two fluoroquinolones against Pseudomonas aeruginosa, Acinetobacter baumannii, Escherichia coli, and Klebsiella species collected from United States intensive care units in 2004C Andrew DeRyke
Center for Anti Infective Research and Development, Hartford Hospital, Hartford, Connecticut 06102, USA
Pharmacotherapy 27:333-42. 2007..To determine the likelihood that antibiotic regimens achieve bactericidal pharmacodynamic exposures against common nosocomial pathogens...
- Restoration of susceptibility of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus to beta-lactam antibiotics by acidic pH: role of penicillin-binding protein PBP 2aSandrine Lemaire
Unité de Pharmacologie Cellulaire et Moléculaire, Universite Catholique de Louvain, B 1200 Brussels, Belgium
J Biol Chem 283:12769-76. 2008....
- Arrival of Klebsiella pneumoniae producing KPC carbapenemase in the United KingdomNeil Woodford
Centre for Infections, Health Protection Agency, 61 Colindale Avenue, London NW9 5EQ, UK
J Antimicrob Chemother 62:1261-4. 2008..KPC-type carbapenemases are increasingly prevalent in parts of the USA and Israel and are an emerging concern in South America, Europe and China. We investigated the UK's first two KPC-producing Klebsiella pneumoniae isolates...
- Interaction of zwitterionic penicillins with the OmpF channel facilitates their translocationChristophe Danelon
Institut de Pharmacologie et de Biologie Structurale, Toulouse, France
Biophys J 90:1617-27. 2006..These observations confirm our earlier suggestion that a set of high-affinity sites at the narrowest part of the OmpF channel improves a drug's ability to cross the membrane via the pore...
- Redefining penemsAxel Dalhoff
University Hospital Schleswig Holstein, Campus Kiel, Institute for Infection Medicine, Brunswiker Str 4, D 24105 Kiel, Germany
Biochem Pharmacol 71:1085-95. 2006....
- Ertapenem versus piperacillin/tazobactam for diabetic foot infections (SIDESTEP): prospective, randomised, controlled, double-blinded, multicentre trialBenjamin A Lipsky
University of Washington School of Medicine and Veterans Affairs Puget Sound Health Care System S 111 GIMC, 1660 S Columbian Way, Seattle, WA 98108, USA
Lancet 366:1695-703. 2005..Our aim was to assess the efficacy and safety of ertapenem versus piperacillin/tazobactam for foot infections...
- Compartmentalization and transport in beta-lactam antibiotics biosynthesisM E Evers
University of Groningen, Department of Molecular Microbiology and Groningen Biomolecular Sciences and Biotechnology Institute, Kerklaan 30, 9751 NN Haren, The Netherlands
Adv Biochem Eng Biotechnol 88:111-35. 2004..This compartmentalization also requires specific membrane transport steps of which the details are currently uncovered...
- Efficacy and safety of ertapenem versus piperacillin-tazobactam for the treatment of intra-abdominal infections requiring surgical interventionArturo S Dela Pena
Philippine General Hospital, Manila, Philippines
J Gastrointest Surg 10:567-74. 2006..In this study, ertapenem and piperacillin/tazobactam were comparably safe and effective treatments for adult patients with complicated intra-abdominal infections...
- Identification of CTX-M-14 extended-spectrum beta-lactamase in clinical isolates of Shigella sonnei, Escherichia coli, and Klebsiella pneumoniae in KoreaH Pai
Department of Internal Medicine, Dankook University College of Medicine, Chonan, Korea
J Clin Microbiol 39:3747-9. 2001..The amino acid sequence differed by one amino acid from CTX-M-9 (Ala-231--> Val) and was identical to that of beta-lactamases recently found in China and Japan...
- Randomized, multicenter, double-blind study of efficacy, safety, and tolerability of intravenous ertapenem versus piperacillin/tazobactam in treatment of complicated intra-abdominal infections in hospitalized adultsNicholas Namias
Department of Surgery, Miller School of Medicine, University of Miami, Miami, FL 33101, USA
Surg Infect (Larchmt) 8:15-28. 2007..Complicated intra-abdominal infections are a common problem in surgical practice. This study compared the effectiveness of ertapenem (1 g qd) and piperacillin/tazobactam (3.375 g q6h) in the treatment of these infections...
- Diffusion of ertapenem into bone and synovial tissuesE Boselli
Department of Anaesthesiology and Intensive Care, Edouard Herriot, Lyon, France
J Antimicrob Chemother 60:893-6. 2007..However, no studies concerning its diffusion into bone and synovial tissue are available. Our objective was to quantify ertapenem bone and synovial tissue penetration and to compare our data with the MIC(90)s for causative pathogens...
- Penetration of ertapenem into skeletal muscle and subcutaneous adipose tissue in healthy volunteers measured by in vivo microdialysisOlaf Burkhardt
Department of Pharmaceutics, College of Pharmacy, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL, USA
J Antimicrob Chemother 58:632-6. 2006..Microdialysis and plasma samples were collected before and at different time points up to 12 h after medication. Drug concentrations were determined by a validated LC-MS-MS method...
- Genetic and structural insights into the dissemination potential of the extremely broad-spectrum class A beta-lactamase KPC-2 identified in an Escherichia coli strain and an Enterobacter cloacae strain isolated from the same patient in FranceStephanie Petrella
UPMC Univ Paris 06, EA1541, Bactériologie Hygiène, Paris, France
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 52:3725-36. 2008....
- Tissue penetration by ertapenem, a parenteral carbapenem administered once daily, in suction-induced skin blister fluid in healthy young volunteersT Laethem
Merck and Co, Inc, Brussels, Belgium
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 47:1439-42. 2003..The area under the concentration-time curve for 0 to 24 h ratio of blister fluid to plasma was 61% (90% confidence interval, 56, 65%) suggesting good blister penetration...
- Comparative costs of ertapenem and piperacillin-tazobactam in the treatment of diabetic foot infectionsAlan D Tice
John A Burns School of Medicine, University of Hawaii, Honolulu, USA
Am J Health Syst Pharm 64:1080-6. 2007..To evaluate potential cost savings, trial data were used to determine the clinical outcomes for i.v. ertapenem given once daily and i.v. piperacillin-tazobactam given every six hours daily in treating diabetic foot infections...
- Properties and potential of ertapenemDavid M Livermore
Antibiotic Resistance Monitoring and Reference Laboratory, Central Public Health Laboratory, 61 Colindale Avenue, London NW9 5HT
J Antimicrob Chemother 52:331-44. 2003..Nevertheless, if ertapenem is to be used widely, its effects on the resistance ecology need to be monitored carefully...
- The implications of enterococci for the intensive care unitIndranil Chatterjee
Department of Intensive Care Medicine, Royal Brisbane and Women s Hospital, Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Crit Care Resusc 9:69-75. 2007..To review the evidence of pathogenicity and virulence of Enterococcus spp. in the intensive care unit...
- Ertapenem versus piperacillin/tazobactam in the treatment of complicated intraabdominal infections: results of a double-blind, randomized comparative phase III trialJoseph S Solomkin
Department of Surgery, University of Cincinnati College of Medicine, Cincinnati, Ohio 45267 0558, USA
Ann Surg 237:235-45. 2003..To examine the clinical efficacy and safety of ertapenem, a novel beta-lactam agent with wide activity against common pathogens encountered in intraabdominal infection...
- Bowel colonization with resistant gram-negative bacilli after antimicrobial therapy of intra-abdominal infections: observations from two randomized comparative clinical trials of ertapenem therapyM J DiNubile
Merck and Co, Whitehouse Station, NJ, USA
Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 24:443-9. 2005....
- Acquisition of resistant bowel flora during a double-blind randomized clinical trial of ertapenem versus piperacillin-tazobactam therapy for intraabdominal infectionsMark J DiNubile
Merck Research Laboratories, P O Box 4, BL3 4, West Point, PA 19486, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 49:3217-21. 2005..6%; P = 0.10). In this study, the acquisition of resistant Enterobacteriaceae occurred significantly more often in patients treated with piperacillin-tazobactam than in those treated with ertapenem...
- Extended-spectrum beta-lactamases: a clinical updateDavid L Paterson
Infectious Disease Division, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
Clin Microbiol Rev 18:657-86. 2005..ESBLs represent an impressive example of the ability of gram-negative bacteria to develop new antibiotic resistance mechanisms in the face of the introduction of new antimicrobial agents...
- Ertapenem once daily versus piperacillin-tazobactam 4 times per day for treatment of complicated skin and skin-structure infections in adults: results of a prospective, randomized, double-blind multicenter studyDonald R Graham
Springfield Clinic, Springfield, IL, 62703, USA
Clin Infect Dis 34:1460-8. 2002..Cure rates for the 2 treatment groups were similar when compared by stratum, diagnosis, and severity of infection. The frequency and severity of drug-related adverse events were similar in the treatment groups...
- Role of beta-lactamases and porins in resistance to ertapenem and other beta-lactams in Klebsiella pneumoniaeGeorge A Jacoby
Lahey Clinic, Burlington, Mssachusetts 01805, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 48:3203-6. 2004..From a wild-type strain producing ACT-1 beta-lactamase, ertapenem-resistant mutants for which the ertapenem MICs were up to 128 microg/ml and expression of outer membrane proteins was diminished could be selected...
- The basis for resistance to beta-lactam antibiotics by penicillin-binding protein 2a of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureusCosimo Fuda
Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, University of Notre Dame, Notre Dame, Indiana 46556, USA
J Biol Chem 279:40802-6. 2004..The observed conformational changes are likely to be a hallmark for how this enzyme carries out its catalytic function in cross-linking the bacterial cell wall...
- Treatment of polymicrobial infections: post hoc analysis of three trials comparing ertapenem and piperacillin-tazobactamJoseph Solomkin
Department of Surgery, University of Cincinnati College of Medicine, Cincinnati, OH, USA
J Antimicrob Chemother 53:ii51-7. 2004..9% and 91.5% for pelvic infections. These data show that in the three trials, ertapenem 1 g once a day was highly effective for the treatment of polymicrobial infections and as effective as piperacillin-tazobactam 3.375 g every 6 h...
- Ertapenem: review of a new carbapenemGeorge G Zhanel
Health Sciences Center, Clinical Microbiology, MS673 820, Sherbrook Street, Winnipeg, Manitoba, R3A 1R9, Canada
Expert Rev Anti Infect Ther 3:23-39. 2005..Ertapenem is a promising new carbapenem with excellent efficacy and safety for the treatment of a variety of community-acquired infections. It also appears to be of great value as an outpatient parenteral antimicrobial therapy...
- Bactericidal activities of meropenem and ertapenem against extended-spectrum-beta-lactamase-producing Escherichia coli and Klebsiella pneumoniae in a neutropenic mouse thigh modelC Andrew DeRyke
Center for Anti Infective Research and Development, Hartford Hospital, 80 Seymour Street, Hartford, CT 06102, USA, and Department of Infectious Disease, Peking Union Medical College Hospital, Beijing, China
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 51:1481-6. 2007..However, for isolates with raised ertapenem MICs of>or=2 microg/ml, meropenem displayed sustained efficacy due to its greater in vitro potency and higher resultant fT>MIC...
- Spread of novel expanded-spectrum beta-lactamases in Enterobacteriaceae in a university hospital in the Paris area, FranceM F Lartigue
Service de Bacteriologie Virologie, Hopital de Bicetre, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, Faculte de Medecine Paris Sud, K Bicêtre, France
Clin Microbiol Infect 11:588-91. 2005..coli, two Enterobacter cloacae, one Enterobacter aerogenes, one Proteus mirabilis and one Citrobacter freundii). Other ESBLs, such as VEB-1 and PER-1, were also detected, but less frequently...
- Ertapenem: a Group 1 carbapenem with distinct antibacterial and pharmacological propertiesMilton L Hammond
Department of Medicinal Chemistry, Merck Research Laboratories, Rahway, NJ 07065, USA
J Antimicrob Chemother 53:ii7-9. 2004..As a result, ertapenem is highly protein bound and has an extended half-life, permitting a once-a-day treatment regimen...
- Diversity of ampicillin-resistance genes in Haemophilus influenzae in Japan and the United StatesKeiko Hasegawa
Kitasato Institute for Life Sciences and Graduate School of Infection Control Sciences, Kitasato University, Tokyo, 108 8641, Japan
Microb Drug Resist 9:39-46. 2003..Differences in proportions of respective AMP-resistant genes in H. influenzae isolates between the two countries might reflect differences in antibiotic agents ordinarily given to outpatients with community-acquired bacterial infections...
- In vivo development of ertapenem resistance in a patient with pneumonia caused by Klebsiella pneumoniae with an extended-spectrum beta-lactamaseEugenne Elliott
Department of Clinical Microbiology, Ampath Laboratories, Milpark Hospital, Johannesburg, South Africa
Clin Infect Dis 42:e95-8. 2006..All 4 isolates belonged to the same strain and produced a group 1 CTX-M enzyme; additionally, the resistant isolates had lost a porin...
- Experiences with an identification and quantification program for inhibitor-positive milk samplesClaudia Kress
Dairy Sciences, Institute of Veterinary Food Science, Justus Liebig University, Ludwigstr 21, 35390 Giessen, Germany
Anal Chim Acta 586:275-9. 2007..3%), isoxazolyl penicillins (3.2%), and sulfonamides (1.6%). The results indicate that penicillin G is still the predominant antibiotic responsible for violative bulk tank milk samples as detected during regulatory control...
- Development of a receptor-based microplate assay for the detection of beta-lactam antibiotics in different food matricesJanine Lamar
Department of Food Chemistry, University of Wuppertal, Gauss Strasse 20, 42119 Wuppertal, Germany
Anal Chim Acta 586:296-303. 2007..Matrix calibration curves are presented, which show that quantitative analyses are possible...
- Meta-analysis: ertapenem for complicated intra-abdominal infectionsM E Falagas
Alfa Institute of Biomedical Sciences AIBS, Athens, Greece
Aliment Pharmacol Ther 27:919-31. 2008..Ertapenem is a new member of the carbapenem class of antibiotics, with a favourable pharmacokinetic profile, but a narrower spectrum of antimicrobial activity, compared with older representatives of this class...
- Bifunctional asymmetric catalysis: cooperative Lewis acid/base systemsDaniel H Paull
Department of Chemistry, Johns Hopkins University, 3400 North Charles Street, Baltimore, Maryland 21218, USA
Acc Chem Res 41:655-63. 2008..To place our results in perspective, many important contributions to this emerging field are highlighted and our own reports are chronicled...
- Carbapenem-hydrolysing beta-lactamase KPC-2 in Klebsiella pneumoniae isolated in Rio de Janeiro, BrazilGisele Peirano
Oswaldo Cruz Institute, Avenida Brasil 4365, 21040 360 Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
J Antimicrob Chemother 63:265-8. 2009..The aim of this study was to characterize the KPC-type carbapenem-hydrolysing beta-lactamase, extended-spectrum beta-lactamases (ESBLs) and class 1 integrons among nosocomial Klebsiella pneumoniae isolated in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil...
- In vitro susceptibility of recent antibiotic-resistant urinary pathogens to ertapenem and 12 other antibioticsA Alhambra
Department of Microbiology, Hospital de Mostoles, 28935 Móstoles, Madrid, Spain
J Antimicrob Chemother 53:1090-4. 2004..Ertapenem is a broad-spectrum 1beta-methyl carbapenem with a long plasma half-life that allows administration of a single daily dose...
- NXL104 combinations versus Enterobacteriaceae with CTX-M extended-spectrum beta-lactamases and carbapenemasesDavid M Livermore
Health Protection Agency Centre for Infections, London, UK
J Antimicrob Chemother 62:1053-6. 2008..We examined whether combinations of oxyimino-cephalosporins with NXL104, a novel non-beta-lactam beta-lactamase inhibitor, overcame these resistances...
- Neisseria gonorrhoeae penicillin-binding protein 3 exhibits exceptionally high carboxypeptidase and beta-lactam binding activitiesMiglena E Stefanova
Division of Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Missouri Kansas City, Kansas City, Missouri 64110, USA
Biochemistry 42:14614-25. 2003..gonorrhoeae, although deletion of both PBP 3 and PBP 4, the other low-molecular-mass PBP in N. gonorrhoeae, resulted in a decreased growth rate and marked morphological abnormalities...
- Evaluation of in vitro interaction of daptomycin with gentamicin or beta-lactam antibiotics against Staphylococcus aureus and Enterococci by FIC index and timed-kill curvesD R Snydman
Tufts New England Medical Center, 750 Washington St, Boston, MA 02111, USA
J Chemother 17:614-21. 2005..A bactericidal effect was exerted in 5/7 synergistic combinations. The in vitro data suggest that daptomycin combined with other antibiotics may be microbiologically beneficial and not antagonistic...
- Comparative in vitro activity and the inoculum effect of ertapenem against Enterobacteriaceae resistant to extended-spectrum cephalosporinsCarmen Betriu
Department of Clinical Microbiology, Hospital Clinico San Carlos, Plaza Cristo Rey s n, 28040 Madrid, Spain
Int J Antimicrob Agents 28:1-5. 2006..The data from this study suggest that this new carbapenem may be useful for treating mixed infections involving Enterobacteriaceae isolates resistant to third-generation cephalosporins...
- Reevaluation of Enterobacteriaceae MIC/disk diffusion zone diameter regression scattergrams for 9 beta-lactams: adjustments of breakpoints for strains producing extended spectrum beta-lactamasesRonald N Jones
JMI Laboratories, North Liberty, IA 52317, USA
Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis 52:235-46. 2005....
- Beta-lactam screening by specific residues of the OmpF eyeletStephanie Vidal
GERCTOP UMR6178 CNRS, IFR48, Faculte de Pharmacie, Universite de la Mediterranee, 13385 Marseille Cedex 05, France
J Med Chem 48:1395-400. 2005..Molecular modeling suggests that the charges harbored by the beta-lactam molecules interact with the charged residues located inside the porin eyelet...
- Phenotypic confirmation of extended-spectrum B-lactamases (ESBL) in clinical isolates of Escherichia coli and Klebsiella pneumoniae at the San Juan Veterans Affairs Medical CenterMaria del Carmen Rodríguez
Infectious Diseases Research Laboratory, San Juan Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Puerto Rico 00921 3201
P R Health Sci J 23:207-15. 2004..Inappropriate antibiotic selection in infections caused by these organisms is associated with treatment failures, poor clinical outcomes, increased mortality and longer hospital stays...
- Pharmacodynamic modeling of carbapenems and fluoroquinolones against bacteria that produce extended-spectrum beta-lactamasesLeticia R Moczygemba
College of Pharmacy, The University of Texas at Austin, USA
Clin Ther 26:1800-7. 2004....
- Emerging epidemic of metallo-beta-lactamase-mediated resistancesRonald N Jones
Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis 51:77-84. 2005
- Real-time TaqMan PCR for rapid detection and typing of genes encoding CTX-M extended-spectrum beta-lactamasesChristopher I Birkett
Health Protection Agency, Clinical Microbiology and Public Health Laboratory, Addenbrooke s Hospital, Cambridge, UK
J Med Microbiol 56:52-5. 2007..The new TaqMan assay detected and typed bla(CTX-M) genes in 21 of 28 ESBL-producing isolates...
- IMP-1 metallo-beta-lactamase-producing Pseudomonas aeruginosa in a university hospital in the People's Republic of ChinaChun Xin Wang
J Antimicrob Chemother 54:1159-60. 2004
- Activity of ertapenem and other antimicrobials against ESBL-producing enterobacteria isolated from urine in patients from MadridJ Tamayo
Servicio de Microbiologia, Hospital de Mostoles, Madrid, Espana
Rev Esp Quimioter 20:334-8. 2007....
- Contributions of the AmpC beta-lactamase and the AcrAB multidrug efflux system in intrinsic resistance of Escherichia coli K-12 to beta-lactamsA Mazzariol
Institute of Microbiology, University of Verona, Verona, Italy
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 44:1387-90. 2000..MICs of ureidopenicillins, carbenicillin, oxacillin, and cloxacillin were drastically reduced by the inactivation of AcrAB, whereas those of the earlier cephalosporins were affected mostly by the loss of AmpC beta-lactamase...
- Cefepime and the inoculum effect in tests with Klebsiella pneumoniae producing plasmid-mediated AmpC-type beta-lactamaseCheol In Kang
Departments of Internal Medicine, Seoul National University College of Medicine, Seoul 110 744, Republic of Korea
J Antimicrob Chemother 54:1130-3. 2004..This study was conducted to investigate the activity of cefepime against clinical isolates by determining the activities of cefepime and three other parenteral beta-lactam agents in standard and high inoculum MIC tests...
- Salicylate decreases production of AmpC type beta-lactamases and increases susceptibility to beta-lactams in a Morganella morganii clinical isolateMaría M Tavío
Microbiology, Department of Clinical Sciences II, Health Sciences Building, University of Las Palmas de G C, Dr Pasteur, 35080 Las Palmas de, G C Spain
FEMS Microbiol Lett 238:139-44. 2004..Likewise, salicylate only repressed 46 kDa outer membrane protein expression in the wild-type strain, since the clinical isolate M1 did not express it...
- Patterns of resistance to beta-lactams and characterization of beta-lactamases in Escherichia coli isolates from children in TunisiaS Rejiba
Department des Sciences Biologiques, Faculte des Sciences de Tunis, Tunisia
J Chemother 19:382-7. 2007..bla(SHV) genes were detected in three isolates producing pI 7.9 ESBLs but not in two isolates expressing pI 8.7 ESBLs. These latter showed strong cefotaxime-hydrolyzing activities. Hence, they might be CTX-M-type ESBLs...
- Evaluation of genetic determinants involved in beta-lactam- and multiresistance in a surgical ICUH J van Loon
Eijkman Winkler Institute for Microbiology, Infectious Disease and Inflammation, University Medical Center Utrecht, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Int J Antimicrob Agents 24:130-4. 2004..It can be concluded that integrons and associated resistance determinants played only a minor role in the surgical ICU and beta-lactam resistance among P. aeruginosa isolates was most likely due to the derepression of its AmpC gene...
- Antimicrobial treatment of Capnocytophaga infectionsAnne Jolivet-Gougeon
Equipe Microbiologie, UPRES EA 1254, CHU Pontchaillou Rennes et Université de Rennes I, 2 Avenue du Professeur Leon Bernard, 35043 Rennes Cedex, France
Int J Antimicrob Agents 29:367-73. 2007..Imipenem/cilastatin, clindamycin or beta-lactamase inhibitor combinations are always effective and their use can be recommended in all infections...
- Countrywide spread of community- and hospital-acquired extended-spectrum beta-lactamase (CTX-M-15)-producing Enterobacteriaceae in LebanonCarole Moubareck
Laboratoire de Microbiologie, Faculte des Sciences Pharmaceutiques et Biologiques, Universite Paris 5 Rene Descartes, Paris, France
J Clin Microbiol 43:3309-13. 2005..In addition to the fact that the present study highlights the emergence and the countrywide dissemination of CTX-M-15-producing E. coli in Lebanon, it represents the first report of an SHV-5a-producing C. freundii...
- Defining an extended-spectrum beta-lactamaseD M Livermore
Antibiotic Resistance Monitoring and Reference Laboratory, Health Protection Agency Centre for Infections, London, UK
Clin Microbiol Infect 14:3-10. 2008..It seems best-and pragmatic-that the term 'ESBL' retains its broad modern usage, but that should always be accompanied by mention of the enzyme's family as, e.g., in 'TEM ESBL' or 'OXA ESBL', not as a sole moniker...
- [Conjugative transfer frequency of resistance genes from ESBL-producing Enterobacteriaceae strains isolated from patients hospitalized in pediatric wards]Roman Franiczek
Katedra i Zakład Mikrobiologii Akademii Medycznej we Wrocławiu
Med Dosw Mikrobiol 58:41-51. 2006..Genetic markers conferring resistance to aminoglycosides and cotrimoxazole were often co-transferred to recipient strain in conjugation process...
- Prevalence and characterization of extended-spectrum beta-lactamase-producing Enterobacteriaceae isolated in Korean hospitalsKwan Soo Ko
Department of Molecular Cell Biology, Sungkyunkwan University School of Medicine, Suwon 440 746, Korea
Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis 61:453-9. 2008..3%). These significant differences in ESBL-producing K. pneumoniae and E. coli isolates among the isolated specimens should be examined further, with an eye toward the implications of this research in clinical settings...
- Characterization of TEM-, SHV- and AmpC-type beta-lactamases from cephalosporin-resistant Enterobacteriaceae isolated from swineNabin Rayamajhi
Department of Infectious Diseases, College of Veterinary Medicine, KRF Zoonotic Disease Priority Research Institute, Brain Korea 21 for Veterinary Science, Seoul National University, San 56 1, Shilim 9 dong, Kwanak Ku, Seoul, Republic of Korea
Int J Food Microbiol 124:183-7. 2008..To the best of our knowledge, this study reports the first identification of SHV-28 and DHA-1 from microbes of animal origin...
- Appearance of aac(6')-Ib-cr gene among extended-spectrum beta-lactamase-producing Enterobacteriaceae in a French hospitalV Fihman
Service de Bacteriologie Virologie, Hopital Lariboisiere, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, Universite Paris VII, 2, rue Ambroise Pare, 75475 Paris, France
J Infect 56:454-9. 2008..The aim of our study was to observe the appearance and the location of the aac(6')-Ib gene in extended-spectrum beta-lactamase (ESBL)-producing Enterobacteriaceae strains...
- Extended-spectrum beta-lactamase-conferring transferable resistance to different antimicrobial agents in Enterobacteriaceae isolated from bloodstream infectionsR Franiczek
Department of Microbiology, University of Medicine in Wrocław, 50 368 Wrocław, Poland
Folia Microbiol (Praha) 50:119-24. 2005..Resistances to aminoglycosides, tetracycline and mercuric chloride were, in some cases, co-transferred with oxyimino-beta-lactam resistance, suggesting that various resistance determinants were carried by the same conjugative plasmids...
- Characterization of imipenem-resistant Serratia marcescens producing IMP-type and TEM-type beta-lactamases encoded on a single plasmidWei Hua Zhao
Department of Medical Biology, Showa University School of Medicine, Tokyo, Japan
Microbiol Res 162:46-52. 2007..These findings may explain the rapid spread of the above resistance determinants among Enterobacteriaceae via transmissible plasmids in the clinical setting...
- Comparison of antimicrobial resistance of Acinetobacter baumannii clinical isolates from Shanghai and Hong KongThomas K W Ling
Department of Microbiology, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Prince of Wales Hospital, Hong Kong, SAR, China
Med Princ Pract 14:338-41. 2005..To compare the antimicrobial resistance patterns of Acinetobacter baumannii isolates from Shanghai and Hong Kong...
- A plasmid-mediated CMY-2 beta-lactamase from an Algerian clinical isolate of Salmonella senftenbergJ L Koeck
Laboratoire de Biologie Medicale, Hopital d Instruction des armees BEGIN, Saint Mande, France
FEMS Microbiol Lett 152:255-60. 1997..It showed 99.5% sequence identity with the plasmid-mediated beta-lactamase CMY-2. The differences in the amino acid sequences of the two enzymes were located in the signal peptide...
- Survey of Enterobacteriaceae producing extended-spectrum beta-lactamases in a Slovak hospital: dominance of SHV-2a and characterization of TEM-132Martina Zarnayová
Laboratoire de Bacteriologie, Hopital Universitaire du Bocage, BP 77908, 21079 Dijon Cedex, France
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 49:3066-9. 2005....
- Longitudinal European surveillance study of antibiotic resistance of Haemophilus influenzaeW T M Jansen
Eijkman Winkler Center for Medical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases, University Medical Center Utrecht G 04 614, Heidelberglaan 100, 3584 CX Utrecht, The Netherlands
J Antimicrob Chemother 58:873-7. 2006..We assessed the current resistance rates of Haemophilus influenzae against beta-lactams and other agents in Europe and compared the results with those of our previously performed surveillance study...
- Emergence of Serratia marcescens, Klebsiella pneumoniae, and Escherichia coli Isolates possessing the plasmid-mediated carbapenem-hydrolyzing beta-lactamase KPC-2 in intensive care units of a Chinese hospitalJia Chang Cai
2nd Affiliated Hospital of Zhejiang University, 88 Jiefang Rd, Hangzhou, China 310009
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 52:2014-8. 2008..coli isolates emerged in ICUs in our hospital. KPC-2 combined with porin deficiency results in high-level carbapenem resistance in K. pneumoniae. The same bla(KPC-2)-encoding plasmid was spread among the three different genera...
- Comparative in vitro activity of ertapenem against extended-spectrum beta-lactamase-producing Escherichia coli and Klebsiella pneumoniae isolated in SpainJose R Hernandez
Department of Microbiology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Seville, Av Sánchez Pizjuán S N, 41009 Seville, Spain
Int J Antimicrob Agents 28:457-9. 2006..Ertapenem activity was similar to that of imipenem and meropenem and better than that of the other antimicrobials tested. No differences in activity were observed regarding the origin of the isolates or type of ESBL produced...
- [Estimation of the contribution of the small plasmids in creation of ESBL phenotype among clinical and ambulatory isolates of the Enterobacteriaceae]Jozef Nieradko
Katedra Mikrobiologii Uniwersytetu Gdańskiego w Gdańsku
Med Dosw Mikrobiol 59:223-30. 2007..The similarity of plazmid profiles isolated from E. coli and Klebsiella pneumoniae and K. oxytoca suggests possibility of the exchange of these plazmids between two mentioned species of bacteria...
- Molecular epidemiology of the integron-located VEB-1 extended-spectrum beta-lactamase in nosocomial enterobacterial isolates in Bangkok, ThailandD Girlich
, , , , , France
J Clin Microbiol 39:175-82. 2001..Plasmid- and integron-mediated resistance to rifampin was also found in enterobacterial isolates...
- Evaluation of the Osiris expert system for identification of beta-lactam phenotypes in isolates of Pseudomonas aeruginosaFrederic Bert
Service de Microbiologie, Hopital Beaujon, 92110 Clichy, France
J Clin Microbiol 41:3712-8. 2003..aeruginosa beta-lactam phenotypes. A specific double-disk synergy test with reduced disk distances is necessary for the detection of ESBL production by this organism...
- In vitro activities of novel oxapenems, alone and in combination with ceftazidime, against gram-positive and gram-negative organismsConor E Jamieson
Life and Health Sciences, Aston University, Birmingham, United Kingdom
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 47:2615-8. 2003..There was little difference between the activity of 1:1 and 2:1 combinations of ceftazidime and oxapenem. The oxapenems failed to enhance the activity of ceftazidime against derepressed AmpC-producing Pseudomonas aeruginosa strains...
- Metallo-beta-lactamase VIM-2 in clinical isolates of Pseudomonas aeruginosa from PortugalOlga Cardoso
Laboratório de Microbiologia C E F da Faculdade de Farmácia da Universidade de Coimbra, Portugal
Microb Drug Resist 8:93-7. 2002..The pulsed-field gel electrophoresis (PFGE) patterns of these isolates were indistinguishable, suggesting dissemination to the community of this VIM-2 producer...
- Multidrug-resistant Acinetobacter baumannii, RussiaThierry Naas
Emerg Infect Dis 13:669-71. 2007
- Inducible AmpC beta-lactamase of a new member EnterobacteriaceaeRichard Bonnet
Laboratoire de Bacteriologie, Faculte de Medecine, 63001 Clermont Ferrand cedex, France
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 46:3316-9. 2002....
- Biochemical characterization of beta-lactamases Bla1 and Bla2 from Bacillus anthracisIsabel C Materon
Department of Molecular Virology and Microbiology, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 47:2040-2. 2003..MIC measurements and steady-state kinetic analyses indicate that Bla1 possesses penicillinase activity while Bla2 possesses penicillinase, cephalosporinase, and carbapenem-hydrolyzing activities...
- Molecular characterization of the gene encoding a new AmpC beta-lactamase in Acinetobacter baylyiAlejandro Beceiro
Servicio de Microbiología Unidad de Investigación, Complejo Hospitalario Universitario Juan Canalejo, Xubias de Arriba 84, 15006 La Coruna, Spain
J Antimicrob Chemother 59:996-1000. 2007..The main objective of the present study was to demonstrate the presence of a beta-lactamase ampC gene in the chromosome of the non-pathogenic bacterium Acinetobacter baylyi ADP1...
- Antimicrobial activity of beta-lactam antibiotics against clinical pathogens after molecular inclusion in several cyclodextrins. A novel approach to bacterial resistanceG Athanassiou
Department of Microbiology, School of Medicine, University of Athens, Goudi, Athens 11527, Greece
J Pharm Pharmacol 55:291-300. 2003....
- Using steric hindrance to design new inhibitors of class C beta-lactamasesIndi Trehan
Department of Molecular Pharmacology and Biological Chemistry, Northwestern University, 303 E Chicago Avenue, Chicago, IL 60611, USA
Chem Biol 9:971-80. 2002..ATMO-penicillin binds in a catalytically incompetent conformation resembling that adopted by third-generation cephalosporins, demonstrating the transferability of such sterically hindered groups in inhibitor design...
- Identification of the novel narrow-spectrum beta-lactamase SCO-1 in Acinetobacter spp. from ArgentinaLaurent Poirel
Service de Bacteriologie Virologie, Hopital de Bicetre, 78 rue du General Leclerc, 94275 Le Kremlin Bicetre cedex, France
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 51:2179-84. 2007..40% with the enzymes TEM, SHV, and CTX-M. A gene encoding a putative resolvase was identified downstream of the bla(SCO-1) gene, but its precise way of acquisition remains to be determined...
- Cytoplasmic-membrane anchoring of a class A beta-lactamase and its capacity in manifesting antibiotic resistanceMaxim Suvorov
Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, University of Notre Dame, Notre Dame, IN 46556, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 51:2937-42. 2007..It is conceivable that an evolutionary outcome could be the shedding of the sequence for the membrane anchor or alternatively evolution of these enzymes from nonanchored progenitors...
- An Integrated Diagnostic System for Rapid Antimicrobial Susceptibility TestingVINCENT JEN JR GAU; Fiscal Year: 2013..A separate Milestones and Timeline section is included at the end of the Research Strategy. ..
- Characterizing Beta Lactams as Neuroprotectants for Amyotrophic Lateral SclerosisJeffrey D Rothstein; Fiscal Year: 2010..These sequential phases will set the stage for future practical translation towards rational clinical trial design. ..
- Cranberry: Interactions with Anti-infectious AgentsGail Anderson; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- Mechanism and Inhibition of Bacterial Transglycosylases and Transpeptidases.Suzanne Walker; Fiscal Year: 2013..The results of the experiments in Aim III have implications for new approaches to overcome MRSA that involve combining a beta-lactam with compounds that target other proteins involved in methicillin resistance. ..
- Molecular Archaeology: Vintage Beta Lactams for Resistant Gram Negative InfectioMarvin J Miller; Fiscal Year: 2013..Conduct in vitro toxicology battery and pilot toxicology studies. Aim 5. Conduct 14-day range-finding toxicology studies. Upon successful completion of this project, we will be ready to proceed into IND-enabling toxicology studies. ..
- Discovery of Small Molecules that Restore Methicillin Sensitivity to MRSAJENNIFER CAMPBELL O apos NEILL; Fiscal Year: 2010..the expression of WTAs by inhibiting the first enzyme in the WTA pathway (TarO) will render MRSA susceptible to beta lactams. Consistent with this hypothesis, preliminary studies have shown that tunicamycin, a natural product that ..
- Cell-based HTS for Compounds that Block Virulence Factor Expression in MRSASuzanne Walker; Fiscal Year: 2009..WTAs by inhibiting one of the first two enzymes in the WTA pathway (TarO/TarA) will render MRSA susceptible to beta lactams. Consistent with this hypothesis, preliminary studies have shown that tunicamycin, a natural product that ..
- Epidemiology of Community-Associated, ESBL-Producing Escherichia coliYohei Doi; Fiscal Year: 2010..coli in the community may lead to treatment failures of common infections such as urinary tract infection. The proposed study intends to collect data on the occurrence of such infections across the United States. ..
- Novel Mechanisms of Beta-lactam Resistance in Staph AureusBinh An Diep; Fiscal Year: 2012..The overall goal of the proposed research is to define the molecular basis for mecA-independent resistance to ?-lactams, which could lead to a better understanding of ?-lactam antibiotic effects and identification of novel drug targets. ..
- BIOSYNTHESIS OF BETA-LACTAM ANTIBIOTICSCRAIG ARTHUR TOWNSEND; Fiscal Year: 2013..abstract_text> ..
- The use of mass spectrometry for rapid detection of carbapenemase-producing bacteDAVID RYAN PEAPER; Fiscal Year: 2013..Future phases of development will apply the technology to primary specimens, which will be followed by multicenter clinical trials in pursuit o FDA 510(k) clearance of the final product. ..
- NUCLEIC ACID PROBES OF RIBOSOMAL STRUCTURE AND FUNCTIONBARRY COOPERMAN; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- REACTIVITY MODELS FOR ISOPENICILLIN N SYNTHETASEPATRICIA SHAPLEY; Fiscal Year: 1992..Also, the development of transition metal catalysts for the stereoselective formation of beta-lactam rings could lead to the chemical synthesis of new antibiotics...
- Enantioselective Thiourea-Catalyzed Syntheses of beta-Lactones and beta-LactamsPAMELA MICHELE TADROSS; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- H. INFLUENZAE: PENICILLIN BINDING PROTEINS & CELL WALLPaul Mendelman; Fiscal Year: 1991....
- NOVEL LINKAGES OF THE PEPTIDOGLYCAN LAYER: ADAPTATION &RESISTANCE TO B-LACTAMSGyanu Lamichhane; Fiscal Year: 2011..This would be essential for development of drugs targeting L,D-transpeptidation to treat TB with a novel mechanism. Therefore, this proposal underscores the mission and priorities of NIH-NIAID. ..
- REGULATION OF BETA-LACTAMASE IN STAPHYLOCOCCUS AUREUSCorinne Hackbarth; Fiscal Year: 2000..aureus beta-lactamase regulatory system using construction of uninducible and constitutive mutants. ..
- BIOSYNTHESIS OF BETA LACTAM ANTIBIOTICSCraig Townsend; Fiscal Year: 2003..These insights will be extended to examination of beta- lactam formation in the prephytotoxin tabtoxin. ..
- Antibiotic Hypersusceptibility Mutations in BacteriaAlexander Mankin; Fiscal Year: 2005..In addition to identifying promising targets for potentiators, the project will help unravel new aspects of the mechanism of action of antibiotics and new features of bacterial physiology. ..
- METALLO BETA LACTAMASE FROM X MALTOPHILIAMichael Crowder; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- MOLECULAR GENETICS OF PLASMID-DETERMINED BETA-LACTAMASEGeorge Jacoby; Fiscal Year: 1990..5. To analyze the contribution of amino acids making up the walls of the enzyme active site to substrate specificity by systematic site-directed mutagenesis...
- 400 MHz NMR Spectrometer for Shared UseCraig Townsend; Fiscal Year: 2004..9) investigation of the hypothesis that aromatic amino acids are required to specify a distinct conformational state by NMR spin relaxation techniques, to elucidate important parameters for protein design. ..
- STRUCTURE/FUNCTION OF ENGINEERED B LACTAMASESOsnat Herzberg; Fiscal Year: 2002..This mutant and the native proteins will serve as the parent molecules for engineering a carboxypeptidase activity toward D-Ala-D-ala peptide, the natura substrate of the bacterial cell wall peptidases. ..
- MECHANISMS OF GLYCOPEPTIDE RESISTANCE IN STAPHYLOCOCCIRobert Daum; Fiscal Year: 2006..These studies should lead to an understanding of the mechanisms by which S. aureus resist the bactericidal effect of GPs and hopefully can identify new ideas regarding therapy of infections caused by resistant isolates. ..
- SEMISYNTHETIC TAXOL DERIVATIVESGunda Georg; Fiscal Year: 1992..All of the newly synthesized compounds will be tested in the microtubule assembly test and against B-16 melanoma cell growth. Promising taxol derivatives will be evaluated further, and also provided to the NCI...
- NEW ASYMMETRIC PROCESSES FOR USE IN ORGANIC SYNTHESISK Sharpless; Fiscal Year: 1999..Encouraged by the successful asymmetric dihydroxylation of isolated olefins, a continuing long-range goal of this project is asymmetric epoxidation of isolated olefins. ..
- METHODS APPLICABLE TO B-LACTAM AND ALKALOID SYNTHESESHARRY WASSERMAN; Fiscal Year: 1991..In another phase of our work we will study the imino epoxide rearrangement as a pathway to the synthesis of piperidine alkaloids with a high degree of stereochemical control...
- Beta-lactamase Antibiotic Resistance of B. anthracisHong zhong Zhang; Fiscal Year: 2004..The result of this study will elucidate the molecular mechanism underlying the resistance of Bacillus anthracis to penicillin antibiotics and inform decisions about the clinical utility of Beta-lactam antibiotics. ..
- ORGANOMETALLIC REAGENTS FOR STEREOCONTROLLED SYNTHESISJOHN FALLER; Fiscal Year: 1992..We anticipate, for example, the generation of new reagents applicable to key steps in asymmetric syntheses of beta-lactams, which are important to the development of modern antibiotics based on analogues of penicillin...
- Plasmid-Mediated Quinolone ResistanceGeorge Jacoby; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Beta-Lactamases and DD-Peptidases: Active Site ChemistryREX PRATT; Fiscal Year: 2008..These studies will lead to new insight into the chemistry of [unreadable]-lactamase and transpeptidase active sites, and thus to new directions in antibiotic design. ..
- Novel Targets for Treatment of Pseudomonas aeruginosaPhilip Lister; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Beta-Lactamases and DD-Peptidases: Active Site ChemistryRex F Pratt; Fiscal Year: 2010..E Gyp 0-. ... G'O --a tail ... 'Fn "-'a'- .N. >.t (Nn Nn. om' m' "L" O-- Oil 0.0)-7-.o 9,' -_p >'7 ='L ..
- Gordon Research Conference on Staphylococcal DiseasesBRIGITTE BERGER BACHI; Fiscal Year: 2003..S. This will afford a unique and rich opportunity for fellowship and scientific exchange between young and established investigators in the field. ..
- Dual Purpose b-Lactamase InhibitorsJOHN BUYNAK; Fiscal Year: 2004..A group of scientists, including chemists, microbiologists, enzymologists, and crystallographers has been assembled to allow rapid optimization of SAR. ..
- CHARACTERIZATION & TREATMENT OF CATEGORY III PROSTATITISJ Nickel; Fiscal Year: 2003..Results from this 3 part study will be analyzed and correlated between groups and within groups, both concurrently and sequentially. ..
- REGULATION OF NEUTROPHIL OXIDATIVE RESPONSES IN TRAUMAJoseph Solomkin; Fiscal Year: 2004..Together, these studies will define potential points for therapeutic intervention and provide important insight into regulation of the acute inflammatory response. ..
- A Mechanistically Novel Antibiotic for AnthraxEdward Turos; Fiscal Year: 2004..Thus, finding suitable compounds that could be brought into Phase II is critical. ..
- SYNTHESIS OF COCARCINOGENIC DITERPENESJAMES RIGBY; Fiscal Year: 2005..These projected investigations should generate substantial new knowledge about complex synthesis as well as providing additional insight into some of the bioactivity exhibited by the subject natural products. ..
- Optimizing dosing to prevent antibiotic resistanceMartin Evans; Fiscal Year: 2005..We believe understanding the mechanisms underlying resistance will enhance our ability to design alternative dosing strategies to effect clinical cure. ..
- SYNTHESIS OF CYTOTOXIC GUAIANOLIDES AND OTHER TERPENOIDSJAMES RIGBY; Fiscal Year: 2006..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Interstitial Cystitis Clinical Research Network (ICCRN)J Nickel; Fiscal Year: 2007..site with Dr. Nickel as PI has the experience, expertise and the proven ability to design, implement and enroll patients with IC in clinical strudies and will be a valuable partner in the proposed ICCRN and UCPPSCG. ..
- Chronic Prostatitis Collaborative Research Network CPCRNJ Nickel; Fiscal Year: 2007..Nickel as PI has the experience, expertise and the proven ability to design, implement and enroll patients with CPPS in clinical studies and will be a valuable partner in the proposed CPCRN and UCPPSCG. ..
- Strategies for Selective Covalent Conjugation of Proteins with Small MoleculesFujie Tanaka; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Multicenter Trial of Daily Chlorhexidine Bathing to Reduce Nosocomial InfectionsMichael Climo; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Cannabinoid Regulation of Basal Ganglia Glutamate and GABASCOTT RAWLS; Fiscal Year: 2007..Our outcomes will be a first step in determining whether blocking endocannabinoid inactivation offers any therapeutic advantage over direct activation of cannabinoid receptors with marijuana. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Defining Moxifloxacin as a First-line TB DrugEric Nuermberger; Fiscal Year: 2008..Relevance: Results of these studies will help to define optimal treatment regimens for TB that can be used to design new clinical trials or, in some cases, directly applied to clinical practice. ..
- Can beta-lactam antibiotics decrease morphine physical dependence?SCOTT RAWLS; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- EVALUATION OF NIKKOMYCIN Z PHARMACOLOGY FOR TREATMENT OF UNCOMPLICATED COCCIDIODEDavid Nix; Fiscal Year: 2009..By carrying out the proposed work, the investigators will resume the clinical development of nikkomycin Z as a potentially curative therapy for coccidioidomycosis so that it may become a candidate for final commercial development. ..
- N-Thiolated Beta-LactamsEdward Turos; Fiscal Year: 2006..We believe that these studies will provide extraordinary opportunities to develop new therapeutics and approaches for the control of hospital-borne drug-resistant infections. ..