- In vitro biologic activities of the antimicrobials triclocarban, its analogs, and triclosan in bioassay screens: receptor-based bioassay screens
Ki Chang Ahn
Department of Entomology and Cancer Research Center, University of California, Davis, Davis, CA 95616, USA
Environ Health Perspect 116:1203-10. 2008
..Few studies have evaluated their biological activities in mammalian cells to assess their potential for adverse effects...
- Algal bioaccumulation of triclocarban, triclosan, and methyl-triclosan in a North Texas wastewater treatment plant receiving stream
Melinda A Coogan
University of North Texas, Department of Biological Sciences, Institute of Applied Sciences, 1704 W Mulberry, Denton, TX 76203, USA
Chemosphere 67:1911-8. 2007
..Residue analysis of filamentous algal species typically occurring in receiving streams below WWTP discharges is a readily obtained indicator of the relative bioaccumulative potential of these trace contaminants...
- Some flame retardants and the antimicrobials triclosan and triclocarban enhance the androgenic activity in vitro
University of Applied Sciences Northwestern Switzerland, School of Life Sciences, Gründenstrasse 40, CH 4132 Muttenz, Switzerland
Chemosphere 81:1245-52. 2010
- Distribution and accumulation of endocrine-disrupting chemicals and pharmaceuticals in wastewater irrigated soils in Hebei, China
State Key Laboratory of Organic Geochemistry, Guangzhou Institute of Geochemistry, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Guangzhou 510640, China
Environ Pollut 159:1490-8. 2011
..Irrigation with wastewater could lead to presence or accumulation of some emerging contaminants to some extent in irrigated soils...
- National and regional assessment of the antibacterial soap market: a step toward determining the impact of prevalent antibacterial soaps
E N Perencevich
Department of Medicine, Division of Infectious Diseases, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Boston, MA 02215, USA
Am J Infect Control 29:281-3. 2001
..With limited documented benefits and experimental laboratory evidence suggesting possible adverse effects on the emergence of antimicrobial resistance, consumer antibacterial use of this magnitude should be questioned...
- Activity and mechanisms of action of selected biocidal agents on Gram-positive and -negative bacteria
S E Walsh
Leicester School of Pharmacy, De Montfort University, Leicester, LE1 9BH, UK
J Appl Microbiol 94:240-7. 2003
- Co-occurrence of triclocarban and triclosan in U.S. water resources
Rolf U Halden
Department of Environmental Health Sciences, Bloomberg School of Public Health, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland 21205 2103, USA
Environ Sci Technol 39:1420-6. 2005
..S.) currently used by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency for evaluating TCC's ecological and human health risks...
- Triclocarban enhances testosterone action: a new type of endocrine disruptor?
Center for Health and the Environment, University of California, Davis, California 95616, USA
Endocrinology 149:1173-9. 2008
..The data presented here suggest that the bioactivity of endogenous hormones may be amplified by exposure to commercial personal care products containing sufficient levels of TCC...
- Investigation of human exposure to triclocarban after showering and preliminary evaluation of its biological effects
Nils Helge Schebb
Department of Entomology and Cancer Center, University of California, Davis, One Shields Avenue, Davis, California 95616, United States
Environ Sci Technol 45:3109-15. 2011
..Overall the analytical strategy described here revealed that use of TCC soap causes exposure levels that warrant further evaluation...
- The antimicrobial triclocarban stimulates embryo production in the freshwater mudsnail Potamopyrgus antipodarum
Ben D Giudice
Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of California, Davis, One Shields Avenue, Davis, California 95616, USA
Environ Toxicol Chem 29:966-70. 2010
..Furthermore, the present study indicates that environmental risk from a new class of endocrine-disrupting chemicals (EDCs) is both qualitatively and quantitatively similar to risk from existing classes of EDCs...
- Detection of triclocarban and two co-contaminating chlorocarbanilides in US aquatic environments using isotope dilution liquid chromatography tandem mass spectrometry
Department of Environmental Health Sciences, Johns Hopkins University, Bloomberg School of Public Health, Johns Hopkins University Center for Water and Health, Baltimore, MD 21205 2103, USA
Environ Res 103:21-9. 2007
- Inhibition of soluble epoxide hydrolase contributes to the anti-inflammatory effect of antimicrobial triclocarban in a murine model
Jun Yan Liu
Department of Entomology and Cancer Center, University of California, Davis, CA 95616, USA
Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 255:200-6. 2011
..It may be a promising starting point for developing new low volume high value applications of TCC. However these biological effects also caution against the general over use of TCC in PCPs...
- Bioaccumulation of triclocarban in Lumbriculus variegatus
Christopher P Higgins
Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
Environ Toxicol Chem 28:2580-6. 2009
..Overall, study observations indicate that TCC bioaccumulates from sediments in a manner that is consistent with the traditional hydrophobic organic contaminant paradigm...
- Mass loadings of triclosan and triclocarbon from four wastewater treatment plants to three rivers and landfill in Savannah, Georgia, USA
Kurunthachalam Senthil Kumar
Department of Natural Sciences and Mathematics, Savannah State University, 3219 College Street, Savannah, GA 31404, USA
Arch Environ Contam Toxicol 58:275-85. 2010
..Incineration of wet sludge can eliminate 99.99% of TCS and TCC. Concentrations of TCS and TCC in water and sediment were greater in the Vernon River, followed by the Savannah River and the Ogeechee River...
- Partitioning, persistence, and accumulation in digested sludge of the topical antiseptic triclocarban during wastewater treatment
Department of Environmental Health Sciences, Bloomberg School of Public Health, Johns Hopkins University Center for Water and Health, Johns Hopkins University, 615 North Wolfe Street, Room E6618, Baltimore, Maryland 21205 2103, USA
Environ Sci Technol 40:3634-9. 2006
- Efficient HPLC method for the determination of nicarbazin, as dinitrocarbanilide in broiler liver
Teagasc, The National Food Centre, Dunsinea, Ashtown, Dublin 15, Ireland
J Chromatogr B Analyt Technol Biomed Life Sci 822:154-9. 2005
..The mean recovery was typically >70% and the limits of quantitation was 12.5 microg/kg (based on the lowest standard on the calibration curve)...
- Fate of triclosan and evidence for reductive dechlorination of triclocarban in estuarine sediments
Todd R Miller
Center for Water and Health, Department of Environmental Health Sciences, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, Baltimore, Maryland 21205, USA
Environ Sci Technol 42:4570-6. 2008
..Environmental persistence over the past 40 years was observed for triclosan and triclocarban in JB, and for triclocarban's diphenylurea backbone in CB sediments...
- The effect of cooking on veterinary drug residues in food: nicarbazin (dinitrocarbanilide component)
J A Tarbin
Central Science Laboratory, Sand Hutton, York, Y041 ILZ, UK
Food Addit Contam 22:1126-31. 2005
..Other cooking procedures led to a decrease in amount of DNC by 22% to 48% of the total amount of analyte present. Only a small amount (<2%) of residue leached with juices which exuded as the food was cooked...
- Comparison of nicarbazin absorption in chickens, mallards, and Canada geese
C A Yoder
National Wildlife Research Center, Fort Collins, Colorado 80521 2154, USA
Poult Sci 84:1491-4. 2005
..However, levels higher than 8.4 mg/kg must be fed to waterfowl in order to obtain a plasma level comparable to chickens...
- Simultaneous determination of chlorinated bacteriostats in cosmetic and pharmaceutical products
Lai Hao Wang
Department of Applied Chemistry, Chia Nan University of Pharmacy and Science, Tainan, Taiwan 71743, R O C
J Cosmet Sci 56:183-92. 2005
..The retention times of triclosan and triclocarban were 5.81 and 2.99 min, respectively. The results obtained were in good agreement with those obtained by a differential pulse voltammetric method...
- Acute depigmentation of fertile brown eggs in a commercial layer operation
Bruce R Charlton
California Animal Health and Food Safety Laboratory System, School of Veterinary Medicine, University of California, Davis, 1550 N Soderquist Avenue, PO Box 1522, Turlock, CA 95381, USA
J Vet Diagn Invest 17:286-8. 2005
..There was no evidence of increased mortality, and only a slight but transient drop in the egg production was observed. Depigmentation effects were rapidly reversed after replacing the feed with NCZ-free feed...
- Analysis of triclocarban in aquatic samples by liquid chromatography electrospray ionization mass spectrometry
Rolf U Halden
Johns Hopkins University, Bloomberg School of Public Health, Department of Environmental Health Sciences, Johns Hopkins University Center for Water and Health, 615 North Wolfe Street, Room E6618, Baltimore, Maryland 21205 2103, USA
Environ Sci Technol 38:4849-55. 2004
..S. water resources. Study results suggest that the bacteriostat and pesticide is a frequent but currently underreported contaminant whose environmental fate and behavior deserve further scrutiny...
- Removal of E. coli from water using surface-modified activated carbon filter media and its performance over an extended use
Research Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences and College of Pharmacy, School of Materials Science and Engineering, Seoul National University, South Korea
Environ Sci Technol 40:6091-7. 2006
..Metal leaching from the modified media was found to be less than the USEPA specified Maximum Contaminant Level...
- Measuring environmental phenols and chlorinated organic chemicals in breast milk using automated on-line column-switching-high performance liquid chromatography-isotope dilution tandem mass spectrometry
Division of Laboratory Sciences, National Center for Environmental Health, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 4770 Buford Highway, Mailstop F17, Atlanta, GA 30341, USA
J Chromatogr B Analyt Technol Biomed Life Sci 831:110-5. 2006
..BPA, OPP, and BP-3 were detected in more than 60% of the samples tested. The free species of these compounds appear to be most prevalent in milk...
- Aeromonas agar is a useful selective medium for isolating aeromonads from faecal samples
J Med Microbiol 55:1605-6. 2006
- Electrochemistry-mass spectrometry unveils the formation of reactive triclocarban metabolites
Institute of Inorganic and Analytical Chemistry, University of Munster, Munster, Germany
Drug Metab Dispos 38:2130-8. 2010
..Moreover, the occurrence of reactive metabolites is compared with findings from earlier in vivo studies and their relevance in vivo is argued...
- Widespread occurrence of bisphenol A diglycidyl ethers, p-hydroxybenzoic acid esters (parabens), benzophenone type-UV filters, triclosan, and triclocarban in human urine from Athens, Greece
Alexandros G Asimakopoulos
Wadsworth Center, New York State Department of Health, and Department of Environmental Health Sciences, School of Public Health, State University of New York at Albany, Albany, New York, USA Laboratory of Analytical Chemistry, Department of Chemistry, National and Kapodistrian University of Athens, Panepistimioupolis Zografou, Athens, Greece
Sci Total Environ 470:1243-9. 2014
..Estimated daily intakes (EDIurine), calculated on the basis of the measured urinary concentrations, ranged from 0.023 μg/kg bw/day for Σ5BADGEs to 31.4 μg/kg bw/day for Σ6Parabens...
- Transformation of triclosan and triclocarban in soils and biosolids-applied soils
Jeong Wook Kwon
Mississippi State Chemical Lab, PO Box CR, Mississippi State Univ, Mississippi State, MS 39762, USA
J Environ Qual 39:1139-44. 2010
- Field dissipation and risk assessment of typical personal care products TCC, TCS, AHTN and HHCB in biosolid-amended soils
State Key Laboratory of Organic Geochemistry, Guangzhou Institute of Geochemistry, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Guangzhou 510640, China Guizhou Academy of Environmental Science and Designing, Guizhou 550002, China
Sci Total Environ 470:1078-86. 2014
..Based on the residual levels in the trial sites and limited toxicity data, high risks to soil organisms are expected for TCC and TCS, while low-medium risks for AHTN and HHCB...
- Growth studies of plasmid bearing and plasmid cured Yersinia enterocolitica GER O:3 in the presence of cefsulodin, irgasan and novobiocin at 25 and 37 degrees C
C M Logue
The Great Plains Institute of Food Safety, Department of Veterinary and Microbiological Sciences, North Dakota State University, Fargo, ND 58105, USA
J Appl Microbiol 100:1299-306. 2006
- Multimedia modeling of the fate of triclosan and triclocarban in the Dongjiang River Basin, South China and comparison with field data
Qian Qian Zhang
State Key Laboratory of Organic Geochemistry, Guangzhou Institute of Geochemistry, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Guangzhou 510640, P R China
Environ Sci Process Impacts 15:2142-52. 2013
..Monte Carlo simulation could well describe the modeling uncertainty and variability. ..
- A novel ion-pairing chromatographic method for the simultaneous determination of both nicarbazin components in feed additives: chemometric tools for improving the optimization and validation
María M De Zan
Laboratorio de Control de Calidad de Medicamentos, Cátedra de Química Analítica I, Facultad de Bioquimica y Ciencias Biologicas, Universidad Nacional del Litoral, C C 242, S3000ZAA Santa Fe, Argentina
Talanta 85:142-50. 2011
..Assays results on real samples showed that considerable differences in molecular ratio DNC:HDP exist among them...
- Transfer of wastewater associated pharmaceuticals and personal care products to crop plants from biosolids treated soil
Department of Environmental Science, The University of Toledo, Toledo, OH 43606, USA
Ecotoxicol Environ Saf 85:104-9. 2012
..The plant uptake processes of PPCPs are likely affected by their physico-chemical properties, and their interaction with soil. The difference uptake behavior between plant species could not solely be attributed to the root lipid content...
- Effects of triclocarban, N,N-diethyl-meta-toluamide, and a mixture of pharmaceuticals and personal care products on fathead minnows (Pimephales promelas)
Jenny E Zenobio
Ecological Science and Engineering Program, Purdue University, West Lafayette, Indiana, USA Department of Forestry and Natural Resources, Purdue University, West Lafayette, Indiana, USA
Environ Toxicol Chem 33:910-9. 2014
..Environ Toxicol Chem 2014;33:910-919. © 2013 SETAC...
- Triclocarban and triclosan biodegradation at field concentrations and the resulting leaching potentials in three agricultural soils
Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI 48824, USA
Chemosphere 81:494-9. 2010
..The resulting leaching models indicated these chemicals have a very low leaching potential and are thus unlikely to contaminate groundwater...
- Differentiation of Kluyvera cryocrescens from Kluyvera ascorbata by irgasan susceptibility testing
Department of Medical Microbiology, University of Zurich, Switzerland
Ann Inst Pasteur Microbiol 137:159-68. 1986
..ascorbata never showed zones of inhibition, whereas K. cryocrescens produced zones of greater than or equal to 15, greater than or equal to 21.5 and greater than or equal to 25.0 mm in diameter, respectively...
- [Triclocarban antibacterial activity on resistant staphylococci, streptococci, and enterococci]
H B Drugeon
Drug R and D, 10 Rue Olivier de Serres, 49070 Beaucouzé, France
Med Mal Infect 42:276-9. 2012
..5 to 8 mg/L for the various resistant strains studied. Triclocarban remains still very effective for the treatment of either initially bacterial skin and mucosal infections, or skin and mucosal at risk of super infection...
- The RET kinase inhibitor NVP-AST487 blocks growth and calcitonin gene expression through distinct mechanisms in medullary thyroid cancer cells
Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
Cancer Res 67:6956-64. 2007
..The role of traditional tumor biomarkers may need to be reassessed as targeted therapies designed against oncoproteins with key roles in pathogenesis are implemented...
- Detection of the antimicrobials triclocarban and triclosan in agricultural soils following land application of municipal biosolids
Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI 48824, USA
Water Res 43:2522-30. 2009
..Such information is important because approximately 50% of US biosolids are land applied, therefore, any downstream effects of either antimicrobial are likely to be widespread...
- A simplified and improved synthesis of [11C]phosgene with iron and iron (III) oxide
Ken ichi Nishijima
Department of Tracer Kinetics, Graduate School of Medicine, Hokkaido University, Kita 15 Nishi 7, Kita ku, 060 8638, Sapporo, Japan
Nucl Med Biol 29:345-50. 2002
..Thus, in the present study, we developed a simple and practical method for the synthesis of [11C]phosgene, which provided an improved yield of S- (-) [11C]CGP-12177...
- Targeting mTOR in RET mutant medullary and differentiated thyroid cancer cells
Matti L Gild
Human Oncology and Pathogenesis Program, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York, New York 10065, USA
Endocr Relat Cancer 20:659-67. 2013
..These data establish mTOR as a key mediator of RET-mediated cell growth in thyroid cancer cells and provide a rationale for combinatorial treatments in thyroid cancers with oncogenic RET mutations...
- Identification of wastewater bacteria involved in the degradation of triclocarban and its non-chlorinated congener
Todd R Miller
Johns Hopkins University, Department of Environmental Health Sciences, Baltimore, MD 21205, United States
J Hazard Mater 183:766-72. 2010
..These organisms are promising agents for the bioremediation of hazardous phenylurea pollutants...
- The production and characterisation of dinitrocarbanilide antibodies raised using antigen mimics
Veterinary Sciences Division, Department of Agriculture and Rural Development for Northern Ireland, Stoney Road, Northern Ireland, Belfast, UK
J Immunol Methods 264:45-51. 2002
..9 ng/ml for DNC and cross-reactivity studies showed that this serum was specific for DNC and did not cross-react with other coccidiostats such as halofuginone, toltrazuril or ronidazole...
- Computational thermochemistry of six ureas, imidazolidin-2-one, N,N'-trimethyleneurea, benzimidazolinone, parabanic acid, barbital (5,5'-diethylbarbituric acid), and 3,4,4'-trichlorocarbanilide, with an extension to related compounds
Juan Z Davalos
Instituto de Quimica Fisica Rocasolano, CSIC, Serrano, 119, E 28006 Madrid, Spain
J Phys Chem A 114:9237-45. 2010
..The peculiar behavior of the N-tert-butyl substituent in cyclic ureas has been related to geometric deformations...
- Adsorption and degradation of triclosan and triclocarban in soils and biosolids-amended soils
Department of Environmental Sciences, University of Toledo, Toledo, Ohio 43606, USA
J Agric Food Chem 57:4900-5. 2009
..Biosolids amendment increased the sorption of triclosan and triclocarban, likely due to the addition of soil organic matter, but displayed no significant effect on degradation...
- New protocol for the isolation of nitrocellulose from gunpowders: utility in their identification
University Institute of Research in Police Sciences IUICP, Planta Piloto de Química Fina, Universidad de Alcala, Ctra Madrid Barcelona Km 33 600, Alcala De Henares Madrid, Spain
Talanta 81:1742-9. 2010
..In both cases, the bands appearing in these regions were more pronounced in the spectra of nitrocellulose samples of low nitration degree...
- High-performance liquid chromatographic determination of triclosan and triclocarban in cosmetic products
China National Cosmetics Quality Supervision and Inspection Center, Beijing, 100094, China
Int J Cosmet Sci 34:489-94. 2012
..999 in all cases. This method is simple, selective, convenient, and reproducible for the determination of triclosan and triclocarban in commercial cosmetic products...
- Metabolization of the bacteriostatic agent triclosan in edible plants and its consequences for plant uptake assessment
Helmholtz Centre for Environmental Research UFZ, Department of Analytical Chemistry, Leipzig, Germany
Environ Sci Technol 46:10797-804. 2012
- Nanomolar concentration of triclocarban increases the vulnerability of rat thymocytes to oxidative stress
Division of Environmental Symbiosis Studies, Graduate School of Integrated Arts and Sciences, University of Tokushima, Tokushima, Japan
J Toxicol Sci 38:49-55. 2013
..The results may suggest that nanomolar concentration (300 nM or higher) of triclocarban affects some cellular functions although there is no evidence for adverse effects of triclocarban in humans at present...
- Triclocarban mediates induction of xenobiotic metabolism through activation of the constitutive androstane receptor and the estrogen receptor alpha
Mei Fei Yueh
Laboratory of Environmental Toxicology, Department of Pharmacology, University of California San Diego, La Jolla, California, United States of America
PLoS ONE 7:e37705. 2012
..Activation of these xenobiotic-sensing receptors amplifies gene expression profiles that might represent a mechanistic base for potential human health effects from exposure to TCC...
- Occurrence of triclosan, triclocarban, and its lesser chlorinated congeners in Minnesota freshwater sediments collected near wastewater treatment plants
Arjun K Venkatesan
Swette Center for Environmental Biotechnology, The Biodesign Institute at Arizona State University, Tempe, AZ 85287, USA
J Hazard Mater 229:29-35. 2012
..Dichloro- and non-chlorinated carbanilides (DCC and NCC) were detected in sediments collected at all sites at concentrations of up to 160 and 1...
- Elevation of intracellular Zn2+ level by nanomolar concentrations of triclocarban in rat thymocytes
Division of Environmental Symbiosis Studies, Graduate School of Integrated Arts and Sciences, The University of Tokushima, Tokushima 770 8502, Japan
Toxicol Lett 215:208-13. 2012
..Since zinc plays physiological roles in mammalian cells, the percutaneous absorption of triclocarban from soap may, therefore, affect some cellular functions...
- Whole blood is the sample matrix of choice for monitoring systemic triclocarban levels
Nils Helge Schebb
Institute of Toxicology and Chemical Analysis, University of Veterinary Medicine, Hannover, Germany
Chemosphere 87:825-7. 2012
..Utilizing whole blood sampling, a low but significant absorption of TCC from soap during showering is demonstrated for a small group of human subjects...
- Diphenyl urea derivatives as inhibitors of transketolase: a structure-based virtual screening
Departamento de Quimica Fisica, Facultat de Quimica, Universitat de Barcelona and Institut de Recerca en Química Teòrica i Computacional, Barcelona, Spain
PLoS ONE 7:e32276. 2012
- Effects of triclosan and triclocarban, two ubiquitous environmental contaminants, on anatomy, physiology, and behavior of the fathead minnow (Pimephales promelas)
Melissa M Schultz
Department of Chemistry, The College of Wooster, OH 44691, USA
Arch Environ Contam Toxicol 63:114-24. 2012
..Substantial variability was found in the severity of observed effects within treatments, suggesting that environmentally realistic concentrations of these compounds may only affect particularly sensitive individuals...
- Automated on-line column-switching HPLC-MS/MS method for the quantification of triclocarban and its oxidative metabolites in human urine and serum
Division of Laboratory Sciences, National Center for Environmental Health, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 4770 Buford Hwy, Mailstop F53, Atlanta, GA 30341, USA
J Chromatogr B Analyt Technol Biomed Life Sci 881:27-33. 2012
..TCC was detected in 35.4% of the urine samples (range: <LOD to 401 ng/mL). This sensitive method is rugged as well as labor- and cost-effective, and allows for the analysis of a large number of samples for epidemiological studies...
- Dual-resolution molecular dynamics simulation of antimicrobials in biomembranes
School of Chemistry, University of Southampton, Highfield, Southampton SO17 1BJ, UK
J R Soc Interface 8:826-41. 2011
..The antimicrobials' influence on the self-assembly process is also investigated. The significance of our results in the context of current theories of antimicrobial action is discussed...
- 1-[4-(1H-Benzoimidazol-2-yl)-phenyl]-3-[4-(1H-benzoimidazol-2-yl)-phenyl]-urea derivatives as small molecule heparanase inhibitors
Department of Chemistry, ImClone Systems Incorporated, 710 Parkside Avenue, Brooklyn, NY 11226, USA
Bioorg Med Chem Lett 16:409-12. 2006
..075-0.27 microM). Compound 7a showed good efficacy in a B16 metastasis model...
- Fate of triclocarban during soil aquifer treatment: soil column studies
H M K Essandoh
School of Engineering Design and Technology, University of Bradford, Bradford BD7 1DP, UK
Water Sci Technol 61:1779-85. 2010
..Within the duration of the experimental run, TCC negatively impacted on treatment performance through a reduction in COD removals observed in the column...
- Quantification of pharmaceuticals, personal care products, and perfluoroalkyl substances in the marine sediments of Puget Sound, Washington, USA
Edward R Long
Environmental Assessment Program, Washington State Department of Ecology, Olympia, Washington, USA
Environ Toxicol Chem 32:1701-10. 2013
..5 ng/g). Detected concentrations were often highest within the industrial harbor in Bellingham Bay and near the cities of Seattle and Bremerton. Environ Toxicol Chem 2013;32:1701-1710. © 2013 SETAC. ..
- An immunoassay to evaluate human/environmental exposure to the antimicrobial triclocarban
Ki Chang Ahn
Department of Entomology and the UCD Cancer Center, University of California Davis, Davis, California 95616, United States
Environ Sci Technol 46:374-81. 2012
..This immunoassay can be used as a rapid, inexpensive, and convenient tool to aid researchers monitoring human/environmental exposure to TCC to better understand the health effects...
- Effects of triclocarban on the transcription of estrogen, androgen and aryl hydrocarbon receptor responsive genes in human breast cancer cells
German Federal Institute for Risk Assessment BfR, Department of Product Safety, Berlin, Germany
Toxicol In Vitro 27:1467-75. 2013
- Photodegradation of the antimicrobial triclocarban in aqueous systems under ultraviolet radiation
Shi Ling Ding
School of Chemical Engineering, Shandong Polytechnic University, Jinan 250353, China
Environ Sci Pollut Res Int 20:3195-201. 2013
..The main degradation products of TCC were tentatively identified by gas chromatograph with mass spectrometer, and a possible degradation pathway of TCC was also proposed...
- Simultaneous determination of parabens, triclosan and triclocarban in water by liquid chromatography/electrospray ionisation tandem mass spectrometry
Department of Analytical Chemistry, Nutrition and Food Sciences, IIAA Institute for Food Analysis and Research, University of Santiago de Compostela, 15782 Santiago de Compostela, Spain
Rapid Commun Mass Spectrom 23:1756-66. 2009
..The application of the method to real samples showed the ubiquity of methyl paraben (MeP) and n-PrP (at the 1-6 microg/L in raw wastewater) and the coexistence of i-BuP and n-BuP at similar levels (ca. 100-200 ng/L in raw wastewater)...
- Quantitative determination of triclocarban in wastewater effluent by stir bar sorptive extraction and liquid desorption-liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry
Dustin R Klein
Department of Chemistry, The College of Wooster, 943 College Mall, Wooster, OH 44691, USA
J Chromatogr A 1217:1742-7. 2010
..The described method demonstrates a simple, green, low-sample volume, yet, sensitive method to measure triclocarban in aqueous matrices...
- Fate of 14C-triclocarban in biosolids-amended soils
Elizabeth Hodges Snyder
Soil and Water Science Department, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL 32611, USA
Sci Total Environ 408:2726-32. 2010
..These results indicate that biosolids-borne TCC becomes less bioavailable over time and biodegrades at a very slow rate...
- Toxicity and bioaccumulation of biosolids-borne triclocarban (TCC) in terrestrial organisms
Elizabeth Hodges Snyder
Soil and Water Science Department, P O Box 110510, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL 32611 01519, USA
Chemosphere 82:460-7. 2011
..Dry-weight TCC bioaccumulation factor (BAF) values in E. fetida and P. notatum ranged from 5.2-18 and 0.00041-0.007 (gsoil gtissue(-1)), respectively...
- Use of chemical mixtures to differentiate mechanisms of endocrine action in a small fish model
Gerald T Ankley
U S Environmental Protection Agency, Office of Research and Development, National Health and Environmental Effects Research Laboratory, Mid Continent Ecology Division, Duluth, MN 55804, USA
Aquat Toxicol 99:389-96. 2010
- Dual-target-directed 1,3-diphenylurea derivatives: BACE 1 inhibitor and metal chelator against Alzheimer's disease
ZJU ENS Joint Laboratory of Medicinal Chemistry, Zhejiang University, Zijingang Campus, Hangzhou 310058, China
Bioorg Med Chem 18:5610-5. 2010
..85+/-2.46 micromol/L) was selected for further receptor-binding studies, the result of which indicated that an essential hydrogen bonds was formed between the urea group of 9f and the catalytic aspartate Asp228...
- Personal care products and endocrine disruption: A critical review of the literature
Raphael J Witorsch
Department of Physiology and Biophysics, School of Medicine, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, Virginia, USA
Crit Rev Toxicol 40:1-30. 2010
..In conclusion, although select constituents exhibit interactions with the endocrine system in the laboratory, the evidence linking personal care products to endocrine disruptive effects in humans is for the most part lacking...
- In vivo assays for drug resistance in Babesia divergens using the Mongolian gerbil, Meriones unguiculatus
J S Gray
Department of Agricultural Zoology, University College, Dublin, Ireland
Res Vet Sci 52:126-8. 1992
..Limited tests of field strains did not detect resistance. It is suggested that an in vitro assay would be more appropriate for surveys through in vivo assays would be essential for confirmatory studies...
- Triclocarban, triclosan, polybrominated diphenyl ethers, and 4-nonylphenol in biosolids and in soil receiving 33-year biosolids application
Mississippi State Chemical Laboratory, Department of Chemistry, Mississippi State, Mississippi 39762, USA
Environ Toxicol Chem 29:597-605. 2010
..These observations suggest slow degradation of PBDEs but rapid transformation of 4-NP, TCC, and TCS in the biosolids-amended soils...
- Identification of novel diphenyl urea inhibitors of Mt-GuaB2 active against Mycobacterium tuberculosis
School of Biosciences, University of Birmingham, Edgbaston, Birmingham B15 2TT, UK
Microbiology 157:290-9. 2011
..smegmatis, they also conferred resistance, suggesting that although these Mt-GuaB orthologues were inactive in vitro, they presumably titrate the effect of the inhibitory properties of the active compounds in vivo...
- Occurrence and loss over three years of 72 pharmaceuticals and personal care products from biosolids-soil mixtures in outdoor mesocosms
Center for Environmental Biotechnology, The Biodesign Institute at Arizona State University, 1001 S McAllister Avenue, Tempe, AZ 85287 5701, United States
Water Res 44:6011-20. 2010
..This study provides the first experimental data on the persistence in biosolids-amended soils for ciprofloxacin, diphenhydramine, doxycycline, 4-epitetracycline, gemfibrozil, miconazole, norfloxacin, ofloxacin, and thiabendazole...
- Vaccination against bovine babesiosis with drug-controlled live parasites
J S Gray
Department of Agricultural Zoology and Genetics, University College Dublin, Belfield
Vet Rec 125:369-72. 1989
..Gerbils would also be useful as a source of parasites for the further development of in vitro cultures which could ultimately produce the vaccine...
- Identification of a Bis-guanylhydrazone [4,4'-Diacetyldiphenylurea-bis(guanylhydrazone); NSC 109555] as a novel chemotype for inhibition of Chk2 kinase
Andrew G Jobson
Laboratory of Molecular Pharmacology, Bldg 37, Rm 5068, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892 4255
Mol Pharmacol 72:876-84. 2007
..These data define a novel chemotype for the development of potent and selective inhibitors of Chk2. This class of drugs may ultimately be useful in combination with current DNA-damaging agents used in the clinic...
- Genetic instability in calamondin (Citrus madurensis Lour.) plants derived from somatic embryogenesis induced by diphenylurea derivatives
Institute of Plant Genetics Section Palermo, National Research Council, Corso Calatafimi 414, 90129 Palermo, Italy
Plant Cell Rep 26:1289-96. 2007
..This finding should be taken in consideration when new protocols for clonal propagation are being developed...
- Effect of triclosan and triclocarban biocides on biodegradation of estrogens in soils
Centre for Environmental Contaminant Research, Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organization CSIRO, Land and Water, Private Mail Bag 2, Glen Osmond, South Australia 5064, Australia
Chemosphere 77:1381-6. 2009
..05). Considering environmental concentrations of the antimicrobials reported in the literature, it is highly unlikely these biocides would have any adverse impact on biodegradation of E2 or EE2 in soils...
- Effect of method of delivering nicarbazin to mallards on plasma 4,4'-dinitrocarbanilide levels and reproduction
C A Yoder
National Wildlife Research Center, Fort Collins, CO 80521, USA
Poult Sci 85:1442-8. 2006
..For maximum effect in the field, NCZ should be coated onto corn. A higher concentration of NCZ is needed in pelleted feed to obtain comparable plasma DNC levels to allow for the decreased absorption of DNC...
- Triclocarban seems to defy wastewater treatment
Environ Sci Technol 40:3444-5. 2006
- Rapid urease screening of Yersinia on CIN agar plates
Institute of Meat Hygiene, Meat Technology and Food Science, University of Veterinary Medicine Vienna, Veterinaerplatz 1, A 1210 Vienna, Austria
Int J Food Microbiol 84:111-5. 2003
..Additionally, this method is useful to isolate virulent (urease-positive and pYV harbouring) Y. enterocolitica from foodstuffs...
- Screening for the coccidiostats halofuginone and nicarbazin in egg and chicken muscle: development of an ELISA
A C Huet
Centre d Economie Rurale, laboratoire d Hormonologie Animale, Marloie, Belgium
Food Addit Contam 22:128-34. 2005
..5 microg kg(-1) in egg and < 1 microg kg(-1) in muscle. For dinitrocarbanilide, the CCbeta was estimated at < 3 microg kg(-1) in egg and < 10 microg kg(-1) in chicken muscle...
- Liquid chromatographic determination of 4,4'-dinitrocarbanilide, the active component of the infertility agent nicarbazin, in chicken, duck, goose, and snake eggs
Thomas M Primus
US Department of Agriculture, Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service, National Wildlife Research Center, 4101 LaPorte Ave, Ft Collins, Denver, CO 80521, USA
J AOAC Int 86:1144-8. 2003
..015 to 0.035 microg/g. The reported method is much simpler than and equally efficient as previous methods developed for the determination of DNC residues in egg contents...
- Determination of 4,4'-dinitrocarbanilide (DNC), a component of Nicarbazin, in Canada goose (Branta canadensis) eggshells using high-performance liquid chromatography
Randal S Stahl
USDA APHIS WS National Wildlife Research Center, 4101 LaPorte Avenue, Fort Collins, Colorado 80521, USA
J Agric Food Chem 51:1130-5. 2003
..DNC levels in the eggshells were highly correlated with feed dose...
- Metabolism of diphenylurea by a Marinobacter sp. isolated from a contaminated ephemeral stream bed in the Negev Desert
Sebastian R Sørensen
Department of Geochemistry, Geological Survey of Denmark and Greenland GEUS, Copenhagen, Øster Voldgade 10, Denmark
FEMS Microbiol Lett 213:199-204. 2002
..2 and 2.6 M with an optimum at 0.51 M. It grows at a temperature range between 20 and 40 degrees C with an optimum at 35 degrees C. This is the first study on bacterial metabolism of DPU...
- A method for the unambiguous identification of tryptophan in automated protein sequence analysis
Medical Research Division, American Cyanamid Company, Pearl River, New York 10965
Anal Biochem 191:169-73. 1990
..With Applied Biosystems Model 477A protein sequencers with on-line PTH amino acid identification, the correct assignment of tryptophan was consistent and reproducible even when sequencing at very high sensitivity (5 pmol)...
- Antibiotic and biocide resistance in methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus and vancomycin-resistant enterococcus
M T Suller
Pharmaceutical Microbiology, Welsh School of Pharmacy, Cardiff University
J Hosp Infect 43:281-91. 1999
..The susceptibilities of vancomycin-resistant enterococcus (VRE) and vancomycin-sensitive enterococcus (VSE) to the biocides were also compared and found to be similar both in terms of MIC testing and time-kill studies...
- [The determination of the coccidiostat nicarbazin in animal tissue and eggs. I. Determination by pulse polarography and high pressure fluid chromatography with electrochemical detection]
Landesveterinäruntersuchungsamt Rheinland Pfalz, Koblenz, Bundesrepublik Deutschland
Z Lebensm Unters Forsch 185:472-6. 1987
..The quantitative determination of nicarbazin in chicken eggs by both polarography and HPLC was found to be in good agreement...
- Rapid procedure for determination of nicarbazin residues in chicken tissues
O W Parks
U S Department of Agriculture, Eastern Regional Research Center, Philadelphia, PA 19118
J Assoc Off Anal Chem 71:778-80. 1988
..Recoveries, based on dinitrocarbanilide, were greater than 95% in liver, breast, and thigh muscle tissues fortified with 0.25-8.0 ppm nicarbazin...
- Effect of nicarbazin and narasin-nicarbazin combinations on broiler pigmentation
K W Bafundo
Lilly Research Laboratories, Eli Lily and Company, Greenfield, Indiana 46140
Poult Sci 68:374-9. 1989
- Investigation of the causes for the occurrence of residues of the anticoccidial feed additive nicarbazin in commercial poultry
Food Safety Department, Ashtown Food Research Centre, Ashtown, Dublin 15, Ireland
Food Addit Contam 24:923-34. 2007
- Simultaneous determination of triclocarban and triclosan in municipal biosolids by liquid chromatography tandem mass spectrometry
Worsfold Water Quality Center, Trent University, Peterborough, Ontario, Canada
J Chromatogr A 1164:212-8. 2007
..62 to 11.55 microg/g dry weight for triclosan, and from 2.17 to 5.97 microg/g dry weight for triclocarban...
- Recent advances in the development of multi-kinase inhibitors
Martin Luther University Halle Wittenberg, Institute of Pharmacy, Wolfgang Langenbeck Strasse 4, 06120 Halle Saale, Germany
Mini Rev Med Chem 8:1312-27. 2008
..In this review, benefits and obstacles of both strategies are discussed. An overview over recently approved and newly upcoming multi-kinase inhibitors is given...
- Gas chromatography negative ion chemical ionization mass spectrometry: application to the detection of alkyl nitrates and halocarbons in the atmosphere
David R Worton
School of Environmental Sciences, University of East Anglia, Norwich, UK
J Chromatogr A 1201:112-9. 2008
..The NICI mode is compared to the more frequently used electron impact (EI) ionization and the enhancements in sensitivity are presented for all the calibrated compounds...
- Anticoccidial activity of combinations of narasin and nicarbazin
P L Long
Department of Poultry Science, University of Georgia, Athens 30602
Poult Sci 67:248-52. 1988
..However, in birds treated with 25/25 ppm of narasin and nicarbazin, both the deleterious action of nicarbazin on merogeny and the antisporozoite activity of narasin were observed...
- Inhibitors of bacterial multidrug efflux pumps potentiate antimicrobial photoinactivation
George P Tegos
Wellman Center for Photomedicine, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts 02114, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 52:3202-9. 2008
..aureus. These data suggest that EPI could be used in combination with phenothiazinium salts and light to enhance their antimicrobial effect against localized infections...
- Quantification of plasma and egg 4,4'-dinitrocarbanilide (DNC) residues for the efficient development of a nicarbazin-based contraceptive for pest waterfowl
John J Johnston
United States Department of Agriculture, Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service, Wildlife Services, National Wildlife Research Center, 4101 LaPorte Avenue, Fort Collins, CO 80521, USA
Pest Manag Sci 58:197-202. 2002
..This approach permits the expeditious evaluation of formulations and dosing regimes by simply monitoring blood DNC concentrations in target species...
- Imidocarb and parvaquone in the treatment of piroplasmosis (Babesia equi) in equids
K L Kuttler
USDA Agricultural Research Service, Washington State University, Pullman 99164 7030
Am J Vet Res 48:1613-6. 1987
..Infections were not eliminated however, and within 4 weeks, secondary parasitemia and anemia developed. Of 4 ponies, 3 died of acute piroplasmosis...
- Processing yields and meat flavor of broilers fed a mixture of narasin and nicarbazin as an anticoccidial agent
I C Peng
Department of Food Science, Purdue University, West Lafayette, Indiana 47907
Poult Sci 66:1341-5. 1987
..05) in flavor between broilers fed the anticoccidial agent in the diet and those fed the control diet...
- Cyclodextrin solubilization of the antibacterial agents triclosan and triclocarban: formation of aggregates and higher-order complexes
Matt S Duan
deCODE Chemistry Inc, 2501 Davey Road, Woodridge, IL 60517, USA
Int J Pharm 297:213-22. 2005
..4% (w/v). Lysine, polyvinylpyrrolidone and magnesium ions formed non-inclusion complexes resulting in formation of multiple-component cyclodextrin complexes in aqueous solutions with triclocarban...
- Phytoaccumulation of antimicrobials from biosolids: impacts on environmental fate and relevance to human exposure
Department of Biosystems and Agricultural Engineering, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI 48824, USA
Water Res 45:5545-52. 2011
..Consequently, research indicated that pumpkin and zucchini may beneficially impact the fate of antimicrobials in agricultural fields, while presenting minimal acute risk to human health...