Genomes and Genes
Summary: A widely used local anesthetic agent.
Publications342 found, 100 shown here
- The effect of epidural injection of betamethasone or bupivacaine in a rat model of lumbar radiculopathyN Hayashi
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Wakayama Medical College, Japan
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 23:877-85. 1998STUDY DESIGN: The effect of epidural injection of betamethasone or bupivacaine was investigated in an animal model of lumbar radiculopathy...
- Effect of dexmedetomidine added to spinal bupivacaine for urological proceduresMahmoud M Al-Mustafa
Department of Anesthesia and Intensive Care, Jordan University Hospital, PO Box 13046, Amman 11942, Jordan
Saudi Med J 30:365-70. 2009To determine the effect of adding dexmedetomidine to bupivacaine for neuraxial anesthesia.
- Bupivacaine induces apoptosis via mitochondria and p38 MAPK dependent pathwaysJun Lu
Dept of Anesthesiology, Zhujiang Hospital, Southern Medical University, Guangzhou 510282, Guangdong, China
Eur J Pharmacol 657:51-8. 2011..Although the effect of bupivacaine on apoptosis is known, it remains unclear whether bupivacaine induces apoptosis via mitochondrial ..
- Fatty-acid oxidation and calcium homeostasis are involved in the rescue of bupivacaine-induced cardiotoxicity by lipid emulsion in ratsParisa Partownavid
Department of Anesthesiology, Division of Molecular Medicine, David Geffen School of Medicine at University of California Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA, USA
Crit Care Med 40:2431-7. 2012Lipid emulsion has been shown to be effective in resuscitating bupivacaine-induced cardiac arrest but its mechanism of action is not clear...
- Comparison of neosaxitoxin versus bupivacaine via port infiltration for postoperative analgesia following laparoscopic cholecystectomy: a randomized, double-blind trialAlberto J Rodriguez-Navarro
Department of Surgery, Hospital Padre Hurtado, Santiago, Chile
Reg Anesth Pain Med 36:103-9. 2011..laparoscopic cholecystectomy under a standardized general anesthesia with wound infiltration using either neoSTX or bupivacaine. We hypothesized that neoSTX would reduce pain compared with bupivacaine at 12 hrs postoperatively.
- Biochemical and microarray analyses of bupivacaine-induced apoptosisAkira Unami
Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Tokushima, 1 Shomachi, Tokushima 770 8505, Japan
J Toxicol Sci 28:77-94. 2003The mechanism by which apoptosis is induced by local anesthetic bupivacaine, a potent uncoupler of mitochondrial oxidative phosphorylation, was investigated...
- Bupivacaine and triamcinolone may be toxic to human chondrocytes: a pilot studyHasan M Syed
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Loma Linda University Medical Center, 11406 Loma Linda Drive, Suite 218, Loma Linda, CA 92354, USA
Clin Orthop Relat Res 469:2941-7. 2011..Given the frequency of use of these agents, it is important to know whether they are in fact toxic...
- Bupivacaine--the deadly friend of intervertebral disc cells?Lilian Quero
Spine Research Group, Competence Centre for Applied Biotechnology and Molecular Medicine, University of Zurich, Winterthurerstrasse 190, Zurich, Switzerland
Spine J 11:46-53. 2011b>Bupivacaine is commonly used as an adjunct during provocative discography and is administered intradiscally in patients with discogenic back pain...
- Pharmacology, toxicology, and clinical use of new long acting local anesthetics, ropivacaine and levobupivacaineStefania Leone
Department of Anesthesia and Pain Therapy, University Hospital of Parma, Parma, Italy
Acta Biomed 79:92-105. 2008Levobupivacaine and ropivacaine, two new long-acting local anesthetics, have been developed as an alternative to bupivacaine, after the evidence of its severe toxicity...
- Lithium attenuates bupivacaine-induced neurotoxicity in vitro through phosphatidylinositol-3-kinase/threonine-serine protein kinase B- and extracellular signal-regulated kinase-dependent mechanismsZ Wang
Department of Geriatrics, First Affiliated Hospital with Nanjing Medical University, Nanjing, China
Neuroscience 206:190-200. 2012..In this study, we evaluated the effects of lithium on bupivacaine (a frequently used LAs)-induced injury in mouse neuroblastoma neuro 2a (N2a) cells...
- Bupivacaine, levobupivacaine and ropivacaine: are they clinically different?Andrea Casati
Department of Anaesthesiology, University of Parma, Italy
Best Pract Res Clin Anaesthesiol 19:247-68. 2005Two new, long-acting local anaesthetics have been developed after the evidence of bupivacaine-related severe toxicity: levobupivacaine and ropivacaine...
- The analgesic effect of intrathecal dexmedetomidine or clonidine, with bupivacaine, in trauma patients undergoing lower limb surgery: a randomised, double-blind studyS L Solanki
Department of Anaesthesia and Intensive Care, Postgraduate Institute of Medical Education and Research, Chandigarh, India
Anaesth Intensive Care 41:51-6. 2013..analgesia and adverse effects following intrathecal administration of dexmedetomidine or clonidine, both with bupivacaine, in trauma patients...
- Bupivacaine-induced apoptosis independently of WDR35 expression in mouse neuroblastoma Neuro2a cellsMisako Harato
Department of Anesthesiology, Aichi Medical University School of Medicine, Nagakute, Aichi 480 1195, Japan
BMC Neurosci 13:149. 2012b>Bupivacaine-induced neurotoxicity has been shown to occur through apoptosis...
- Bupivacaine, ropivacaine, and morphine: comparison of toxicity on human hamstring-derived stem/progenitor cellsFlorian Haasters
Experimental Surgery and Regenerative Medicine, Department of Surgery, Ludwig Maximilians University Munich, Nussbaumstr 20, 80336, Munich, Germany
Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc 19:2138-44. 2011b>Bupivacaine, ropivacaine, and morphine are commonly administered intraarticularly after anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) reconstruction. However, their effects on human tendon stem/progenitor cells (TSPC) have not been studied...
- Effect of bupivacaine on intervertebral disc cell viabilityHo Lee
Ferguson Laboratory for Orthopaedic Research, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of Pittsburgh, 200 Lothrop Street, Pittsburgh, PA 15261, USA
Spine J 10:159-66. 2010b>Bupivacaine is a local anesthetic commonly used to relieve or control pain in interventional spine procedures...
- Comparison of 0.5% levobupivacaine, 0.5% bupivacaine, and 2% lidocaine for retrobulbar anesthesia in vitreoretinal surgeryRecep Aksu
Department of Anesthesiology, Erciyes University School of Medicine, Kayseri Turkey
Eur J Ophthalmol 19:280-4. 2009The authors compared the efficacy of local anesthetics levobupivacaine, bupivacaine, and lidocaine for retrobulbar anesthesia in vitreoretinal surgery.
- Early blockade of injured primary sensory afferents reduces glial cell activation in two rat neuropathic pain modelsW Xie
Pain Research Center, Department of Anesthesiology, University of Cincinnati College of Medicine, 231 Albert Sabin Way, Cincinnati, OH 45267 0531, USA
Neuroscience 160:847-57. 2009..were made with a more distal injury (spared nerve injury model), using a different sodium channel blocker (bupivacaine depot) at the injury site...
- The efficacy and safety of 0.75% levobupivacaine vs 0.75% bupivacaine for peribulbar anaesthesiaD J Birt
Department of Anaesthesia, Derriforf Hospital, Plymouth, UK
Eye (Lond) 17:200-6. 2003Levobupivacaine, the S(-)-enantiomer of racemic bupivacaine, is associated with a similar efficacy but a reduced potential for cardiovascular and central nervous system toxicity than racemic bupivacaine...
- Effects of adding magnesium to bupivacaine and fentanyl for spinal anesthesia in knee arthroscopyHüban Dayioğlu
Department of Anesthesiology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Kocaeli, Kocaeli, Turkey
J Anesth 23:19-25. 2009The aim of the study was to investigate the effects of adding intrathecal magnesium sulfate 50 mg to low-dose bupivacaine-fentanyl on the spread, duration, regression of spinal block, and postoperative analgesia in patients undergoing ..
- Analgesic efficacy of two doses of intrathecal midazolam with bupivacaine in patients undergoing cesarean deliverySmita Prakash
Department of Anesthesia and Intensive Care, Vardhman Mahavir Medical College and Safdarjang Hospital, New Delhi, India
Reg Anesth Pain Med 31:221-6. 2006In this prospective, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study, we investigated the postoperative analgesic efficacy of 2 doses of intrathecal midazolam as an adjunct to bupivacaine for spinal anesthesia.
- Neuropathic pain: early spontaneous afferent activity is the triggerWenrui Xie
Department of Cell Biology, Neurobiology and Anatomy, University of Cincinnati College of Medicine, 3125 Eden Avenue, Cincinnati, OH 45267 0521, USA
Pain 116:243-56. 2005..Similar results were obtained in both pain models, and with two blockade methods (200mg of a depot form bupivacaine at the injury site, or perfusion of the injured nerve just proximal to the injury site with TTX)...
- Minidose bupivacaine-fentanyl spinal anesthesia for surgical repair of hip fracture in the agedB Ben-David
Department of Anesthesia, Western Galilee Hospital, Nahariya, Israel
Anesthesiology 92:6-10. 2000..The synergism between intrathecal opioids and local anesthetics may make it possible to achieve reliable spinal anesthesia with minimal hypotension using a minidose of local anesthetic...
- Levobupivacaine-induced contraction of isolated rat aorta is calcium dependentJi Seok Baik
Department of Anesthesiology and Pain Medicine, Gyeongsang National University Hospital, Jinju, Korea
Can J Physiol Pharmacol 89:467-76. 2011..The nitric oxide - cyclic guanosine monophosphate pathway is involved in the endothelium-dependent attenuation of levobupivacaine-induced contraction...
- In vitro, inhibition of mitogen-activated protein kinase pathways protects against bupivacaine- and ropivacaine-induced neurotoxicityPhilipp Lirk
Department of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine, Innsbruck Medical University, Anichstr 35, 6020 Innsbruck, Austria
Anesth Analg 106:1456-64, table of contents. 2008..neurotoxicity, but this has not been investigated in the case of two very widely used local anesthetics, bupivacaine and ropivacaine...
- Intrathecal midazolam increases the analgesic effects of spinal blockade with bupivacaine in patients undergoing haemorrhoidectomyM H Kim
Department of Anaesthesiology, Samsung Medical Center, Sungkyunkwan University School of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
Br J Anaesth 86:77-9. 2001..double-blind study we aimed to evaluate the postoperative analgesic effects of intrathecal midazolam with bupivacaine following haemorrhoidectomy...
- Sufentanil added to hyperbaric bupivacaine for subarachnoid block in Caesarean sectionA de F de Assunção Braga
State University of Campinas, Department of Anaesthesia, School of Medical Sciences, Campinas, Sao Paolo, Brazil
Eur J Anaesthesiol 20:631-5. 2003..We studied the quality of the block and its maternal-fetal repercussions when different doses of sufentanil were combined with hyperbaric bupivacaine using the intrathecal route in pregnant women undergoing Caesarean section.
- Lipid infusion accelerates removal of bupivacaine and recovery from bupivacaine toxicity in the isolated rat heartGuy L Weinberg
Department of Anesthesiology, University of Illinois College of Medicine at Chicago, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
Reg Anesth Pain Med 31:296-303. 2006Infusion of a lipid emulsion has been advocated for treatment of severe bupivacaine cardiac toxicity. The mechanism of lipid rescue is unknown...
- Dissociation of microglial activation and neuropathic pain behaviors following peripheral nerve injury in the ratR W Colburn
Department of Pharmacology, Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center, Lebanon, NH 03756, USA
J Neuroimmunol 79:163-75. 1997..Perineural application of bupivacaine prior to SPCN prevented spinal microglial responses but not pain behaviors...
- Levobupivacaine: a review of its pharmacology and use as a local anaestheticR H Foster
Adis International Limited, Mairangi Bay, Auckland, New Zealand
Drugs 59:551-79. 2000Based on findings that the cardiotoxicity infrequently observed with racemic bupivacaine shows enantioselectivity, i.e...
- Bupivacaine attenuates contractility by decreasing sensitivity of myofilaments to Ca2+ in rat ventricular muscleYasushi Mio
Department of Anesthesiology, The Jikei University School of Medicine, Tokyo, Japan
Anesthesiology 97:1168-77. 2002b>Bupivacaine exhibits a cardiodepressant effect, the molecular mechanism(s) of which have yet to be fully understood. Bupivacaine may directly act on contractile proteins and thereby decrease myofibrillar Ca2+ sensitivity.
- Suprascapular nerve block (using bupivacaine and methylprednisolone acetate) in chronic shoulder painE M Shanahan
Rheumatology Research Unit, Repatriation General Hospital, Daw Park South Australia, Australia 5041
Ann Rheum Dis 62:400-6. 2003..There have been no large randomised placebo controlled trials examining the efficacy of suprascapular nerve block for shoulder pain in arthritis and/or degenerative disease using pain and disability end points...
- Nerve conduction blockade in the sciatic nerve prevents but does not reverse the activation of p38 mitogen-activated protein kinase in spinal microglia in the rat spared nerve injury modelYeong Ray Wen
Pain Research Center, Department of Anesthesiology, Brigham and Women s Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Anesthesiology 107:312-21. 2007..Nerve injury-induced ectopic spontaneous activity is essential for the generation of neuropathic pain. The authors examined whether peripheral neural activity is necessary for p38 activation in spinal microglia...
- Recurrence of cardiotoxicity after lipid rescue from bupivacaine-induced cardiac arrestPeter C Marwick
Department of Anesthesiology and Critical Care, University of Stellenbosch and Tygerberg Academic Hospital, Tygerberg, South Africa
Anesth Analg 108:1344-6. 2009Accidental intravascular administration of bupivacaine during performance of a brachial block precipitated convulsions followed by asystole...
- Triamcinolone decreases bupivacaine toxicity to intervertebral disc cell in vitroJu Hyung Moon
Department of Neurosurgery, Spine and Spinal Cord Institute, Gangnam Severance Spine Hospital, Yonsei University College of Medicine, 712 Eonjuro, Gangnam Gu, Seoul, South Korea
Spine J 12:665-73. 2012..Several recent studies suggest cytotoxicity of bupivacaine, whereas others report protective and cytotoxic effects of corticosteroids on chondrocytes and intervertebral ..
- Bupivacaine induces apoptosis via ROS in the Schwann cell lineC J Park
Department of Dental Anesthesiology and Dental Research Institute, Seoul National University College of Dentistry, 28 Yongon dong Chongno gu, Seoul 110 744, Korea
J Dent Res 84:852-7. 2005..Among local anesthetics tested on the Schwann cell line, RT4-D6P2T, bupivacaine significantly induced cell death, measured by the methyl tetrazolium (MTT) assay, in a dose- (LD50 = 476 microM)..
- Levobupivacaine versus racemic bupivacaine in spinal anaesthesia for urological surgeryY Y Lee
Department of Anaesthesiology and Operating Theatre Services, Kwong Wah Hospital, Hong Kong, S A R
Anaesth Intensive Care 31:637-41. 2003Racemic bupivacaine is the most common local anaesthetic used intrathecally. This prospective, randomized, double-blind study compared the clinical efficacy and motor block of 0.5% levobupivacaine with 0...
- Levobupivacaine versus racemic bupivacaine for spinal anesthesiaChristian Glaser
Division of Anesthesiology and Intensive Care Medicine, Vienna City Hospital Floridsdorf, Austria
Anesth Analg 94:194-8, table of contents. 2002Levobupivacaine is the pure S(-)-enantiomer of racemic bupivacaine but is less toxic to the heart and central nervous system...
- Alpha-lipoic acid prevents bupivacaine-induced neuron injury in vitro through a PI3K/Akt-dependent mechanismXiaohui Wang
Department of Anesthesiology, First Affiliated Hospital with Nanjing Medical University, Nanjing, China
Neurotoxicology 31:101-12. 2010b>Bupivacaine is an amide type local anesthetic which is widely used for epidural anesthesia and nerve blockade in patients. However, local administration of bupivacaine could cause neuron injury showing transient neurologic symptoms...
- Dexamethasone attenuated bupivacaine-induced neuron injury in vitro through a threonine-serine protein kinase B-dependent mechanismR Ma
Department of Anesthesiology, First Affiliated Hospital with Nanjing Medical University, Nanjing, PR China
Neuroscience 167:329-42. 2010b>Bupivacaine is one of the amide type local anesthetics and is widely used for epidural anesthesia and blockade of nerves. Bupivacaine administration locally could result in neuron injury showing transient neurologic symptoms...
- Bupivacaine uncouples the mitochondrial oxidative phosphorylation, inhibits respiratory chain complexes I and III and enhances ROS production: results of a study on cell culturesOlga Cela
Department of Biomedical Sciences, University of Foggia, Foggia, Italy
Mitochondrion 10:487-96. 2010This study aimed to validate, in situ, proposed mechanisms of bupivacaine cytotoxicity pointing to impairment of the mitochondrial oxidative metabolism...
- Effect of bupivacaine on sevoflurane-induced preconditioning in isolated rat heartsR Arthur Bouwman
Department of Anesthesiology, Institute for Cardiovascular Research ICaR VU, VU University Medical Center VUmc, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Eur J Pharmacol 647:132-8. 2010..As an adjunct to general anesthesia, local and regional application of bupivacaine is often used...
- Levobupivacaine versus racemic bupivacaine for spinal anaesthesia in orthopaedic major surgeryF Fattorini
Department of Anaesthesiological Sciences Critical Medicine and Pain Therapy, University of Rome La Sapienza, Rome, Italy
Minerva Anestesiol 72:637-44. 2006..The aim of our study was to compare clinical and anaesthetic features of levobupivacaine and racemic bupivacaine when intrathecally administered in 60 patients undergoing major orthopaedic surgical procedures.
- Efficacy of low-dose bupivacaine in spinal anaesthesia for Caesarean delivery: systematic review and meta-analysisC Arzola
Department of Anesthesia and Pain Management, Mount Sinai Hospital and University of Toronto, 600 University Avenue, Room 1514, Toronto, ON, Canada M5G 1X5
Br J Anaesth 107:308-18. 2011..Different strategies have been attempted to prevent spinal-induced hypotension, including the use of low-dose bupivacaine. We conducted a systematic search for randomized controlled trials comparing the efficacy of spinal bupivacaine ..
- Characterization of a new class of DNA delivery complexes formed by the local anesthetic bupivacaineC J Pachuk
Wyeth Lederle Vaccines, 1 Great Valley Parkway, Malvern, PA 19355, USA
Biochim Biophys Acta 1468:20-30. 2000b>Bupivacaine, a local anesthetic and cationic amphiphile, forms stable liposomal-like structures upon direct mixing with plasmid DNA in aqueous solutions...
- Thoracic epidural bupivacaine attenuates inflammatory response, intestinal lipid peroxidation, oxidative injury, and mucosal apoptosis induced by mesenteric ischemia/reperfusionNurdan Bedirli
Gazi University, Medical Faculty, Department of Anesthesiology and Reanimation, Ankara, Turkey
Anesth Analg 113:1226-32. 2011..We conducted this study to evaluate the effects of thoracic epidural anesthesia (TEA) on inflammatory response, lipid peroxidation, and oxidative stress in a rat model of mesenteric ischemia/reperfusion (I/R)...
- Bupivacaine decreases cell viability and matrix protein synthesis in an intervertebral disc organ model systemDong Wang
Ferguson Laboratory for Orthopaedic Research, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of Pittsburgh, 200 Lothrop St, E1641 Biomedical Science Tower, Pittsburgh, PA 15261, USA
Spine J 11:139-46. 2011b>Bupivacaine is a local anesthetic commonly used for back pain management in interventional procedures. Cytotoxic effects of bupivacaine have been reported in articular cartilage and, recently, in intervertebral disc cell culture...
- Lipid resuscitation of bupivacaine toxicity: long-chain triglyceride emulsion provides benefits over long- and medium-chain triglyceride emulsionZhengqian Li
Department of Anesthesiology, The First Affiliated Hospital, Wenzhou Medical College, Zhejiang, China
Anesthesiology 115:1219-28. 2011....
- The comparative effects of lipid, epinephrine, and their combination in the reversal of bupivacaine-induced asystole in the isolated rat heartLe Liu
Department of Anesthesiology, First Affiliated Hospital of Wenzhou Medical College, 2 FuXue Road, Wenzhou City, Zhejiang Province, 325000, China
Anesth Analg 114:886-93. 2012..unclear whether lipid combined with epinephrine is superior or inferior to either drug alone in treating bupivacaine cardiotoxicity...
- Lipid emulsion improves recovery from bupivacaine-induced cardiac arrest, but not from ropivacaine- or mepivacaine-induced cardiac arrestYork A Zausig
University of Regensburg, Department of Anaesthesiology, Franz Josef Strauss Allee 11, 93053 Regensburg, Germany
Anesth Analg 109:1323-6. 2009..As the postulated mechanism of action, the so-called "lipid sink" effect may depend on the lipophilicity of LAs. In this study, we investigated whether lipid effects differ with regard to the administered LAs...
- The neurotoxicity of local anesthetics on growing neurons: a comparative study of lidocaine, bupivacaine, mepivacaine, and ropivacaineInas A M Radwan
Department of Anesthesiology and Reanimatology, Gunma University School of Medicine, Maebashi, Gunma, Japan
Anesth Analg 94:319-24, table of contents. 2002..The effects of lidocaine, bupivacaine, mepivacaine, and ropivacaine were examined microscopically and quantitatively assessed using the growth cone ..
- The efficacy and safety of DepoFoam bupivacaine in patients undergoing bilateral, cosmetic, submuscular augmentation mammaplasty: a randomized, double-blind, active-control studyJohn D Smoot
Departments of Anesthesiology and Neurological Surgery, The Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio, USA
Aesthet Surg J 32:69-76. 2012..Breast augmentation can result in significant postsurgical pain...
- The effect of addition of intrathecal clonidine to hyperbaric bupivacaine on postoperative pain and morphine requirements after Caesarean section: a randomized controlled trialI van Tuijl
Department of Anesthesiology, University Medical Center Utrecht, The Netherlands
Br J Anaesth 97:365-70. 2006..We investigated the effect of the addition of clonidine (75 microg) to hyperbaric bupivacaine on postoperative morphine consumption after Caesarean section in a randomized controlled double-blind trial.
- Comparison of articaine and bupivacaine/lidocaine for sub-Tenon's anaesthesia in cataract extractionP Gouws
West of England Eye Unit, Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital, Barrack Road, Exeter EX2 5DW, UK
Br J Anaesth 92:228-30. 2004..We have previously shown articaine to be superior to a standard mixture of bupivacaine 0.5%/lidocaine 2% for peribulbar anaesthesia...
- Bupivacaine provides rapid, effective periprostatic anaesthesia for transrectal prostate biopsyJ C Rabets
Glickman Urological Institute, The Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, Ohio, USA
BJU Int 93:1216-7. 2004To examine the effectiveness of the longer acting agent bupivacaine in providing periprostatic anaesthesia during transrectal ultrasonography (TRUS)-guided biopsy, as the periprostatic injection of lidocaine has been shown to ..
- Efficacy and uptake of ropivacaine and bupivacaine after single intra-articular injection in the knee jointP N Convery
Musgrave Park Hospital, Belfast, UK
Br J Anaesth 87:570-6. 2001The efficacy of ropivacaine 100 mg (5 mg ml(-1)), 150 mg (7.5 mg ml(-1)) and 200 mg (10 mg ml(-1)) and bupivacaine 100 mg (5 mg ml(-1)) given by intra-articular injection into the knee after the end of surgery was studied in 72 ASA I-II ..
- Botulinum toxin A versus bupivacaine trigger point injections for the treatment of myofascial pain syndrome: a randomised double blind crossover studyCorrie L Graboski
Glenrose Rehabilitation Hospital, 10230 111Ave, Edmonton AB, T5G 0B7, Canada
Pain 118:170-5. 2005..The purpose of this study was to compare the effectiveness of trigger point injections using BTX A versus bupivacaine, both in combination with a home-based rehabilitation program...
- Apoptosis and mitochondrial dysfunction in human chondrocytes following exposure to lidocaine, bupivacaine, and ropivacaineValentina Grishko
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of South Alabama, 3421 Medical Park Drive, Mobile, AL 36693, USA
J Bone Joint Surg Am 92:609-18. 2010..The purposes of this investigation were to study the effects of lidocaine, bupivacaine, and ropivacaine on human chondrocyte viability and mitochondrial function in vitro and to characterize the ..
- Toxic systemic reactions of bupivacaine and etidocaineC J Bacsik
University of Minnesota School of Dentistry, Minneapolis, USA
Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 79:18-23. 1995Since the introduction of the long-acting agents, bupivacaine in 1983 and etidocaine in 1985, to the dental local anesthetic armamentarium, their use has increased rapidly...
- Bupivacaine induces reactive oxygen species production via activation of the AMP-activated protein kinase-dependent pathwayJun Lu
Department of Anesthesiology, Zhujiang Hospital, Southern Medical University, Guangzhou, China
Pharmacology 87:121-9. 2011It was our aim to investigate whether AMP-activated protein kinase (AMPK) mediates the considerable increase in reactive oxygen species (ROS) and cell apoptosis induced by bupivacaine in the human neuroblastoma cell line SH-SY5Y.
- The effects of thoracic epidural analgesia with bupivacaine 0.25% on ventilatory mechanics in patients with severe chronic obstructive pulmonary diseaseE M Gruber
Department of Cardiothoracic and Vascular Anesthesia and Intensive Care Medicine, University of Vienna, Austria
Anesth Analg 92:1015-9. 2001..50). We conclude that TEA with bupivacaine 0.25% can be used safely in end-stage COPD patients...
- Levobupivacaine vs. racemic bupivacaine in peribulbar anaesthesia: a randomized double blind study in ophthalmic surgeryE Pacella
Ophthalmological Science Department, University of Rome Sapienza, Rome, Italy
Eur Rev Med Pharmacol Sci 14:539-44. 2010..50% (S - enantiomer of racemic mixture of bupivacaine), for peribulbar anaesthesia in a randomized double blind study vs. racemic bupivacaine 0...
- Dose-response effects of spinal neostigmine added to bupivacaine spinal anesthesia in volunteersS S Liu
Department of Anesthesiology, Virginia Mason Medical Center and the University of Washington, Seattle 98111, USA
Anesthesiology 90:710-7. 1999Intrathecal adjuncts often are used to enhance small-dose spinal bupivacaine for ambulatory anesthesia...
- A comparison of the clinical anesthetic efficacy of 4% articaine and 0.5% bupivacaine (both with 1:200,000 epinephrine) for lower third molar removalLeonardo V L Gregorio
Bauru School of Dentistry, University of Sao Paulo, Brazil
Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 106:19-28. 2008This study compared the clinical efficacy of 4% articaine (A200) and 0.5% bupivacaine (B200), both with 1:200,000 epinephrine, for lower third molar removal.
- The effect of adding magnesium sulphate to epidural bupivacaine and fentanyl in elective caesarean section using combined spinal-epidural anaesthesia: a prospective double blind randomised studyA A Yousef
Department of Anesthesia, Faculty of Medicine, Tanta University, Tanta, Egypt
Int J Obstet Anesth 19:401-4. 2010..Our study examined the effects of adding magnesium sulphate to epidural bupivacaine and fentanyl in patients undergoing elective caesarean section using combined spinal-epidural anaesthesia.
- A phase 3, randomized, placebo-controlled trial of DepoFoam® bupivacaine (extended-release bupivacaine local analgesic) in bunionectomyMichael Golf
Premier Clinical Research Centers, Austin, TX, USA
Adv Ther 28:776-88. 2011DepoFoam® bupivacaine (Pacira Pharmaceuticals, Inc...
- Long-acting local anesthetics in dentistryA L Sisk
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Medical College of Georgia School of Dentistry, Augusta 30912
Anesth Prog 39:53-60. 1992..b>Bupivacaine, for example, can cause significant cardiac depressant and dysrhythmogenic responses...
- Bispectral index does not correlate with observer assessment of alertness and sedation scores during 0.5% bupivacaine epidural anesthesia with nitrous oxide sedationKyung Soo Park
Department of Pharmacology, Yonsei University College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
Anesth Analg 103:385-9, table of contents. 2006..It may be better to monitor sedation clinically (e.g., with the OAA/S scale) to determine the dose requirement and the adequacy of depth of sedation and hypnosis...
- Comparison of intrathecal magnesium, fentanyl, or placebo combined with bupivacaine 0.5% for parturients undergoing elective cesarean deliveryH Unlugenc
Department of Anesthesiology, Faculty of Medicine, Cukurova University, Adana, Turkey
Acta Anaesthesiol Scand 53:346-53. 2009..In this prospective, randomized, double-blind, study, we investigated the sensory, motor, and analgesic block characteristics of i.t. magnesium 50 mg compared with fentanyl 25 microg and saline when added to 0.5% bupivacaine (10 mg).
- Efficacy and comparison of 0.5% levobupivacaine with 0.75% ropivacaine for peribulbar anaesthesia in cataract surgeryA Di Donato
Department of Anaesthesia, Intensive Care and Pain Management, Military Policlinic, Concordia Hospital for Special Surgery, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Eur J Anaesthesiol 23:487-90. 2006..The aim of this study was to evaluate the efficacy of levobupivacaine 0.5% and to compare block quality vs. ropivacaine 0.75% in peribulbar anaesthesia...
- The analgesic effects of intraperitoneal and incisional bupivacaine with epinephrine after total abdominal hysterectomyA Ng
Department of Anaesthesia, Critical Care, and Pain Management, University Hospitals of Leicester, NHS Trust, Leicester Royal Infirmary, Leicester LE1 5WW, UK
Anesth Analg 95:158-62, table of contents. 2002The objective of our study was to see if incisional and intraperitoneal bupivacaine with epinephrine produces analgesia after total abdominal hysterectomy...
- The relative contributions of the disc and zygapophyseal joint in chronic low back painA C Schwarzer
Faculty of Medicine, University of Newcastle, Australia
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 19:801-6. 1994..responded to both a screening zygapophyseal joint block using lignocaine and a confirmatory block using bupivacaine. Only three patients had both a positive discogram and a symptomatic zygapophyseal joint. CONCLUSIONS...
- Effect of dexamethasone on the duration of interscalene nerve blocks with ropivacaine or bupivacaineK C Cummings
Department of Regional Practice Anesthesiology, Cleveland Clinic, Lakewood Hospital Department of Anesthesiology, 14519 Detroit Avenue, Lakewood, OH 44107, USA
Br J Anaesth 107:446-53. 2011..We thus tested the hypothesis that adding dexamethasone significantly prolongs the duration of ropivacaine and bupivacaine analgesia and that the magnitude of the effect differs among the two local anaesthetics.
- The median effective dose of bupivacaine, levobupivacaine, and ropivacaine after intrathecal injection in lower limb surgeryYing Y Lee
Department of Anaesthesia and Intensive Care, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Shatin, Hong Kong SAR, China
Anesth Analg 109:1331-4. 2009Intrathecal anesthesia is commonly used for lower limb surgery. Bupivacaine, levobupivacaine, and ropivacaine have all been used as intrathecal drugs, but their relative potency in this context has not been fully determined...
- Lung function under high thoracic segmental epidural anesthesia with ropivacaine or bupivacaine in patients with severe obstructive pulmonary disease undergoing breast surgeryHarald Groeben
Abteilung für Anästhesiologie und Intensivmedizin, Universitat Essen, Essen, Germany
Anesthesiology 96:536-41. 2002..Furthermore, ropivacaine supposedly evokes less motor blockade than bupivacaine and might minimize side effects...
- Antinociceptive synergy between the cannabinoid receptor agonist WIN 55,212-2 and bupivacaine in the rat formalin testSinyoung Kang
Department of Anesthesiology and Pain Medicine, Ewha Womans University Medical College, Seoul, Korea
Anesth Analg 104:719-25. 2007..We sought to determine the nature of the interaction between the intrathecal cannabinoid receptor agonist (WIN 55,212-2) and bupivacaine using the formalin test.
- Effects of intravenous dexmedetomidine on low-dose bupivacaine spinal anaesthesia in elderly patientsJ Y Hong
Department of Anesthesiology and Pain Medicine, Asan Medical Center, University of Ulsan College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
Acta Anaesthesiol Scand 56:382-7. 2012Dexmedetomidine (DMT) has been shown to prolong spinal anaesthesia. We evaluated the effects of intravenous DMT on low-dose bupivacaine spinal anaesthesia in elderly patients.
- Insulin effects on myocardial function and bioenergetics in L-bupivacaine toxicity in the isolated rat heartS N Stehr
Medical Faculty Carl Gustav Carus, Department of Anaesthesiology and Intensive Care Medicine, Dresden, Germany
Eur J Anaesthesiol 24:340-6. 2007A positive effect of insulin-glucose-potassium infusion in severe bupivacaine-induced cardiovascular collapse has been described in vivo...
- Intraperitoneal application of bupivacaine plus morphine for pain relief after laparoscopic cholecystectomyJ Hernández-Palazón
Department of Anaesthesia, Hospital Universitario Virgen de la Arrixaca, Murcia, Spain
Eur J Anaesthesiol 20:891-6. 2003..This study was aimed at assessing the analgesic effect of the intraperitoneal administration of bupivacaine and morphine in patients undergoing laparoscopic cholecystectomy.
- Supraphysiologic temperature enhances cytotoxic effects of bupivacaine on bovine articular chondrocytes in an in vitro studyR Nelson Mead
Department of Structural and Cellular Biology, Tulane University School of Medicine, New Orleans, Louisiana, USA
Arthroscopy 28:397-404. 2012The purpose of this study was to determine the effects of temperature or 0.25% bupivacaine treatment in combination with supraphysiologic temperatures on chondrocyte viability.
- Comparative study of two local anesthetics in the surgical extraction of mandibular third molars: bupivacaine and articaineAnna Trullenque-Eriksson
Department of Oral and Facial Medicine and Surgery, Faculty of Dentistry, Universidad Complutense de Madrid, Plaza Ramon y Cajal s n, Ciudad Universitaria, 28040 Madrid
Med Oral Patol Oral Cir Bucal 16:e390-6. 2011..It has been suggested that the longer duration of action of bupivacaine associated with the residual analgesia and the gradual onset of pain, could decrease the need for analgesics ..
- Spinal anaesthesia with articaine 5% vs bupivacaine 0.5% for day-case lower limb surgery: a double-blind randomized clinical trialT Dijkstra
Department of Hospital Pharmacy, Reinier de Graaf Groep, PO Box 5011, 2600 GA Delft, The Netherlands
Br J Anaesth 100:104-8. 2008..Articaine is believed to act faster and to have a shorter duration of action than bupivacaine, but there are no conclusive data available...
- Comparison of ropivacaine and bupivacaine toxicity in human articular chondrocytesSamantha L Piper
J Bone Joint Surg Am 90:986-91. 2008It has been shown that bupivacaine, the most commonly used local anesthetic for postoperative intra-articular use, is cytotoxic to bovine articular chondrocytes in vitro...
- Comparison of articaine and bupivacaine/lidocaine for single medial canthus peribulbar anaesthesiaK G Allman
Department of Anaesthesia, Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital, Exeter, UK
Br J Anaesth 87:584-7. 2001..5% bupivacaine and 2% lidocaine for peribulbar anaesthesia in cataract surgery, using a single medial canthus injection ..
- Lipid emulsion infusion rescues dogs from bupivacaine-induced cardiac toxicityGuy Weinberg
Department of Anesthesiology, University of Illinois at Chicago College of Medicine, Chicago, Illinois 60612, USA
Reg Anesth Pain Med 28:198-202. 2003..in rats that intravenous infusion of a lipid emulsion increases survival in resuscitation from severe bupivacaine cardiac toxicity...
- Effects of dexmedetomidine on the duration of anaesthesia and wakefulness in bupivacaine epidural blockI Coskuner
Anesthesiology and Reanimation Department, Yuzuncu Yil University, Medical Faculty, Van, Turkey
Eur J Anaesthesiol 24:535-40. 2007The purpose of this study was to examine the effects of intravenous dexmedetomidine on the duration of bupivacaine-induced epidural anaesthesia and level of wakefulness and the respective side-effects.
- Dexamethasone with bupivacaine increases duration of analgesia in ultrasound-guided interscalene brachial plexus blockadePeter A Vieira
Department of Anesthesiology, Baystate Medical Center, Springfield, Massachusetts 01199, USA
Eur J Anaesthesiol 27:285-8. 2010..However, it has not been evaluated when given in conjunction with bupivacaine and clonidine to provide blockade of the brachial plexus at the interscalene level...
- Femoral nerve block for total knee arthroplasty patients: a method to control postoperative painMyron J Szczukowski
Orthopedic Center, Easton, Maryland 21601, USA
J Arthroplasty 19:720-5. 2004..5% bupivacaine with epinephrine 1:200,000, on pain control following total knee arthroplasty (TKA)...
- Investigation of systemic bupivacaine toxicity using the in situ perfused working heart-brainstem preparation of the ratAnthony E Pickering
Sir Humphry Davy Department of Anaesthesia, Royal Infirmary, University of Bristol, Bristol BS2 8HW, UK
Anesthesiology 97:1550-6. 2002The inadvertent systemic administration of bupivacaine has been associated with fatal cardiovascular collapse. Systemic bupivacaine may affect neural control of the cardiovascular system in addition to having toxic actions on the heart...
- A comparison of intrathecal plain solutions containing ropivacaine 20 or 15 mg versus bupivacaine 10 mgHelena Kallio
Department of Anesthesia, Forssa District Hospital, PO Box 42, FIN 30101 Forssa, Finland
Anesth Analg 99:713-7, table of contents. 2004..which blocks sensory nerve fibers more readily than motor fibers, is considered to be less potent than bupivacaine. Our hypothesis was that, when used in spinal anesthesia for day surgery, ropivacaine 15 and 20 mg would ..
- A novel liposomal bupivacaine formulation to produce ultralong-acting analgesiaGilbert J Grant
Department of Anesthesiology, New York University School of Medicine, New York, New York 10016, USA
Anesthesiology 101:133-7. 2004..The authors prepared and characterized a novel liposomal bupivacaine formulation using remote loading of bupivacaine along an ammonium sulfate gradient and assessed its efficacy in ..
- Bupivacaine myotoxicity is mediated by mitochondriaWilliam Irwin
Department of Biomedical Sciences, University of Padova and the Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche Units for the Study of Muscle Pathophysiology and Biomembranes, Viale Giuseppe Colombo 3, I 35121 Padova, Italy
J Biol Chem 277:12221-7. 2002We have investigated the effects of the myotoxic local anesthetic bupivacaine on rat skeletal muscle mitochondria and isolated myofibers from flexor digitorum brevis, extensor digitorum longus, soleus, and from the proximal, striated ..
- Large A-fiber activity is required for microglial proliferation and p38 MAPK activation in the spinal cord: different effects of resiniferatoxin and bupivacaine on spinal microglial changes after spared nerve injuryMarc R Suter
Pain Research Center, Department of Anesthesiology, Brigham and Women s Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Mol Pain 5:53. 2009..of transient receptor potential vanilloid subtype 1 (TRPV1) positive fibers (mostly C- and Adelta-fibers) and bupivacaine microspheres to block all fibers of the sciatic nerve in rats before spared nerve injury (SNI), and observed ..
- Effect of low-dose dexmedetomidine or clonidine on the characteristics of bupivacaine spinal blockG E Kanazi
Department of Anesthesiology, American University of Beirut Medical Center, Beirut, Lebanon
Acta Anaesthesiol Scand 50:222-7. 2006The purpose of this study was to compare the onset and duration of sensory and motor block, as well as the hemodynamic changes and level of sedation, following intrathecal bupivacaine supplemented with either dexmedetomidine or clonidine.
- Perineural administration of dexmedetomidine in combination with bupivacaine enhances sensory and motor blockade in sciatic nerve block without inducing neurotoxicity in ratChad M Brummett
Department of Anesthesiology, Division of Pain Medicine, The University of Michigan Health System, 7433 Medical Sciences Building 1, 1150 West Medical Center Drive, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109 5615, USA
Anesthesiology 109:502-11. 2008..The current study was designed to test the hypothesis that high-dose dexmedetomidine added to local anesthetic would increase the duration of sensory and motor blockade in a rat model of sciatic nerve blockade without causing nerve damage...
- The in vitro effects of bupivacaine on articular chondrocytesC R Chu
Cartilage Restoration Laboratory, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of Pittsburgh, School of Medicine, 3471 Fifth Ave, Suite 911, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15213, USA
J Bone Joint Surg Br 90:814-20. 2008We have studied the effects of bupivacaine on human and bovine articular chondrocytes in vitro. Time-lapse confocal microscopy of human articular chondrocytes showed > 95% cellular death after exposure to 0...
- The dose response and effects of dexamethasone on bupivacaine microcapsules for intercostal blockade (T9 to T11) in healthy volunteersDan J Kopacz
Department of Anesthesiology, Virginia Mason Clinic, Seattle, Washington, 98111 USA
Anesth Analg 96:576-82, table of contents. 2003Biodegradable microcapsules containing bupivacaine/dexamethasone produce an anesthetic duration of 7-11 days in animal models...
- The effect of adding intrathecal magnesium sulphate to bupivacaine-fentanyl spinal anaesthesiaM Ozalevli
Department of Anaesthesiology, Faculty of Medicine, Cukurova University, Adana, Turkey
Acta Anaesthesiol Scand 49:1514-9. 2005..In this prospective, randomized, double-blind, controlled study, we investigated the effect of adding IT magnesium sulphate to bupivacaine-fentanyl spinal anaesthesia.
- Toxicity of local anaestheticsB Cox
Department of Anesthesiology, University Hospital Maastricht, PO Box 5800, 6202 AZ Maastricht, The Netherlands
Best Pract Res Clin Anaesthesiol 17:111-36. 2003..2 to 0.01%. Peripheral nerve blocks are associated with the highest incidence of systemic toxicity (7.5 per 10,000) and the lowest incidence of serious neural injury (1.9 per 10,000)...
- Side-effects of epidural infusions of opioid bupivacaine mixturesJ A Gedney
Department of Anaesthesia, Norfolk and Norwich Hospital, UK
Anaesthesia 53:1148-55. 1998..1 mg.ml-1), morphine (0.05 mg.ml-1) and pethidine (1.0 mg.ml-1) used by infusion in combination with bupivacaine has been compared. One hundred and sixty patients were studied, 32 receiving each opioid...
- Midkine and its receptor in regenerating rat skeletal muscle after bupivacaine injectionHarutoshi Sakakima
School of Health Sciences, Faculty of Medicine, Kyoto University, 53 Kawahara cho, Shogoin, Sakyo ku, Kyoto 606 8507, Japan
Acta Histochem 108:357-64. 2006..examined for up to 14 days in a chemically injured rat muscle regeneration process caused by the injection of bupivacaine using immunohistochemical and Western blot analysis...
- In vivo effects of single intra-articular injection of 0.5% bupivacaine on articular cartilageConstance R Chu
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of Pittsburgh, 200 Lothrop Street, BST E1640, Pittsburgh, PA 15261, USA
J Bone Joint Surg Am 92:599-608. 2010..in vitro studies have demonstrated chondrotoxic effects of local anesthetics, with the greatest emphasis on bupivacaine toxicity. This in vivo study was conducted to determine whether a single intra-articular injection of 0...
- Cocaine disruption of maternal motivation: preference for pups vs. cocaineMARIANA PEREIRA ARBOLEYA; Fiscal Year: 2010..the functional role of these sites in the expression of motivated choices by transiently inactivating (bupivacaine infusion) each of them and then testing stimulus-associated environment preference (Specific Aim I)...
- Nanoparticle scavengers for in vivo sequestration of overdosed drug moleculesZhiguo Zhou; Fiscal Year: 2013..In particular, accidental overdose of bupivacaine, a local anesthetic has been reported to cause many cases of cardiac arrest and death...
- Maternal rat preferences for pups versus cocaineJOAN IRENE MORRELL; Fiscal Year: 2010..a dual choice paradigm? I will test this using neuroanatomical site specific and transient inactivation (with bupivacaine a local anesthetic) of the mPOA during CPP test. B...
- Extraocular Muscle (EOM) Responses to Bupivacaine InjectionAlan B Scott; Fiscal Year: 2012..Hypertrophy of fast muscle, such as EOM, is a consistent consequence of intramuscular injection of bupivacaine (BUP) in animals...
- Actions of Local Anesthetics on NMDA ReceptorsMeaghan Paganelli; Fiscal Year: 2013..This project will evaluate the mechanism by which bupivacaine and lidocaine, two amide local anesthetics widely used in clinical practice inhibit NMDA receptor currents...
- A Photo-triggered on-demand drug delivery system for chronic painBRIAN PAUL TIMKO; Fiscal Year: 2012..state permeability of the membrane to a number of compounds, including tetrodotoxin (TTX), saxitoxin (STX), bupivacaine, and dexamethasone...
- Peripheral Nerve Blocks with Multimodal AnalgesicsBrian Williams; Fiscal Year: 2009..Sustained-release local anesthetics (e.g., microcapsulated bupivacaine) have not been successful in meeting these objectives...
- SKELETAL MUSCLE MICROVASCULAR PERFUSION IN HYPERTENSIONSarah Gray; Fiscal Year: 1999....
- PROLONGED DURATION LOCAL ANESTHESIADANIEL KOHANE; Fiscal Year: 2004..respiratory distress, seizures, death) when injected alone, or in conjunction with microspheres containing bupivacaine and/or dexamethasone...
- NEW DERMAL ANESTHETICSVINCENT CIOFALO; Fiscal Year: 1999..lidocaine, bupivacaine) do not have the penetration properties needed for dermal anesthesia...
- CONTROL OF NEURAL FUNCTION IN ANESTHESIAGary Strichartz; Fiscal Year: 2001..Drugs to be tested include traditional local anesthetics (lidocaine and bupivacaine) in combination with capsaicin (a vanilloid receptor agonist), tetrodotoxin and saxitoxin (selective sodium ..
- FETAL UPTAKE AND DISTRIBUTION OF LOCAL ANESTHETICSROLAND KENNEDY; Fiscal Year: 1980..Because local anesthetics possess varying physiochemical properties, we are studying lidocaine, mepivacaine, bupivacaine, etidocaine and prilocaine to relate the blood concentrations and uptake to these properties.
- Androgen regulation of skeletal muscle regenerationJames Carson; Fiscal Year: 2006..This proposal's overall purpose is to determine if bupivacaine injection-induced mouse skeletal muscle regeneration is sensitive to circulating androgen levels, and if this ..
- IMPROVEMENTS IN PERINEURAL LOCAL ANESTHETIC BLOCKDAVID MASTERS; Fiscal Year: 2000..This project focuses on 3-5 days of controlled bupivacaine release to a perisciatic nerve site to produce a pharmacotherapy that is safer and more efficacious than ..
- RESPIRATORY CONTROL DURING EXERCISEPhilip Clifford; Fiscal Year: 1993..1) application of a new surgical technique for total cardiopulmonary denervation, 2) epidural administration of bupivacaine to produce differential sensory and motor blockade, 3) intrathecal administration of morphine to block a ..
- TZD Treatment of Cocaine ToxicityGuy Weinberg; Fiscal Year: 2005..We will also establish an isolated heart model to study the potential for clinical application of TZDs to treat acute cocaine cardiac toxicity. ..
- Role of IGF-1 In Diastolic Dysfunction of AgingLeanne Groban; Fiscal Year: 2003..This study will provide the groundwork for future studies examining how IGF-1 signaling may modulate the programming and gene expression of the senescent myocardium. ..
- CHONDROPROTECTIVE EFFECTS OF SUPEROXIDE DISMUTASEConstance Chu; Fiscal Year: 2002..These studies will also serve to improve understanding of the relative roles of NO and peroxynitrite on the pathophysiology of arthritis. ..
- Striatal Acetylcholine and Behavioral FlexibilityMICHAEL RAGOZZINO; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- MOLECULAR BASIS OF LIGAND/SODIUM CHANNEL INTERACTIONSGING WANG; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- THERAPEUTIC NA+ CHANNEL BLOCKERS: RECEPTOR & DRUG DESIGNGING WANG; Fiscal Year: 2007..Such drugs, either taken orally or injected locally, may be beneficial for patients with chronic and intractable cancer pain. ..
- Aging, Serotonin and Reversal LearningMICHAEL RAGOZZINO; Fiscal Year: 2008..These studies have the potential of developing a novel treatment for the learning and memory deficits observed in aging and Alzheimer's disease. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- AOSSM Post-Joint Injury Osteoarthritis ConferenceConstance Chu; Fiscal Year: 2008..This symposium will bring doctors and scientists together to develop research plans to find new methods to prevent this from happening. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Development of Sensory/Pain-Selective Local AnestheticsPeter Gerner; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Clinical and Molecular Evaluation of Cancer Therapy Induced MucositisSharon Gordon; Fiscal Year: 2007..Demonstration of safety and tolerability will provide a basis to test further this route of administration. Hence, this proposal holds promise for clinical application in a relatively short period. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- SELECTIVE REMOVAL OF EXTRAOCULAR MUSCLEAlan Scott; Fiscal Year: 2002..Aim 6 represents human pilot studies needed for design of clinical trials for the therapy developed in this proposal. ..
- Role of the Amygdala in Opioid Self-administration in Rats with Chronic Pain.Thomas Martin; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- PHARMACOLOGY OF CARDIAC SODIUM CHANNEL MODIFIERSMichael Sheets; Fiscal Year: 2008..The results of these studies should improve our overall understanding of the molecular mechanisms of anti-arrhythmic drugs modification of cardiac Na channels. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Role of Segment 6 in Heart Na Channel Slow InactivationJohn O Reilly; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- VOLATILE ANESTHETICS AND RESPIRATORY NEUROTRANSMISSIONEckehard Stuth; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- Aging, Increased IL-6, Burn, and Myocardial DepressionWeike Tao; Fiscal Year: 2008..The proposal will allow the principal investigator to generate data to address the Specific Aims and to allow didactic training necessary for his career development. ..
- Neural basis of learned food aversion and nauseaCHARLES HORN; Fiscal Year: 2009..Effective treatment of nausea may substantially improve the quality of life for patients with chronic disease. ..
- Phospholipid Nanocarriers Improve Chemotherapy by Targeted Drug DeliveryHayat Onyuksel; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- TRPV1 Expressing Sensory Afferents in Postoperative PainTimothy Brennan; Fiscal Year: 2009..A separate pathway, likely an A-fiber mediated pathway, is sufficient to transmit the enhanced mechanical responses. ..
- Cannabinoid Modulation of Capsaicin-Sensitive NociceptorsKenneth M Hargreaves; Fiscal Year: 2010..Second, identification of cannabinoid modulation of pain via TRPchannels provides a rationale for a novel class of analgesics that are devoid of classical cannabinoid side effects. ..
- Ischemic Stroke Treatment with Microbubbles, a Novel Clot Lysis TherapeuticWilliam C Culp; Fiscal Year: 2010..Our proposed pilot study will determine which of these treatments is most successful, and future studies will further explore that treatment. (End of Abstract) ..
- Persistent Mechanical Hypersensitivity in Rats: Biobehavioral EffectsGayle Page; Fiscal Year: 2009..The relevance of the proposed study to human health is the goal to discern what factors (e.g., sleep disruption, biological responses to stress and anxiety) increase one s risk to develop chronic pain. ..
- Treatment of Demyelinating Disease with HSP90 InhibitorsDouglas L Feinstein; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- ACUTE TOLERANCE IN ANESTHETIC ACTIONS AND INTERACTIONSIgor Kissin; Fiscal Year: 2001....
- SYMPATHETIC FIBER MODULATION OF NEUROGENIC INFLAMMATIONKenneth Hargreaves; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- SPINAL CORD INJURY, METHYLPREDNISOLONE & P GLYCOPROTEINCHRISTOPHER BERNARDS; Fiscal Year: 2002..4. To determine whether increased spinal cord bioavailability of methylprednisolone decreases secondary damage following spinal cord injury. ..
- Microbiology/Immunology of Periodontal Disease in T1DMPaul Moore; Fiscal Year: 2002..An integrated multidisciplinary effort provides significant data collection capabilities essential for understanding the complex multifactorial etiology of periodontal disease in Type 1 diabetes. ..
- DIRECT NEUROTOXICITY OF LOCAL ANESTHETICSMichael Johnson; Fiscal Year: 2002..The Ca2+cyt dependence of each mechanism of mitochondrial injury will be determined by experiments with and without Ca2+cyt clamped at a normal level. ..
- CONTROL OF FEEDING BEHAVIOR--HEPATIC AFFERENT SIGNALINGCHARLES HORN; Fiscal Year: 2002..Results from this project may contribute to a better understanding of metabolic stimuli that are sensed by the nervous system, and may elucidate neural controls that are involved in obesity, anorexia, and diabetes. ..
- PERIPHERAL CANNABINOIDS AND NEUROGENIC INFLAMMATIONKenneth Hargreaves; Fiscal Year: 2002..This knowledge base may provide a rationale for developing peripherally-selective cannabinoid analgesics with minimal CNS-mediated side-effect liability. ..
- PERIOPERATIVE PAIN, IMMUNE FUNCTION, AND METASTASISGayle Page; Fiscal Year: 2001....
- ROLE OF STRETCH-INDUCED COX-2 IN BLADDER CONTRACTILITYJohn Park; Fiscal Year: 2003..Therefore, characterizing the biological role of PG synthetic pathways via COX-2 gene activation in bladder should lead to novel insights in the overall management of painful bladder syndromes. ..
- CARDIAC NA+ CHANNEL GATING AND LOCAL ANESTHETIC BLOCKSTERLING WRIGHT; Fiscal Year: 2004..gating mechanism will be a critical step toward explaining why clinically important local anesthetics, such as bupivacaine and lidocaine, affect cardiac physiology at circulating concentrations that have little effect on skeletal ..
- Neurophysiologic Development Responses to SurgeryDOUGLAS RIRIE; Fiscal Year: 2007..Through this and future studies which come from this data and training, improvement in understanding will hopefully lead to improved pain therapy that is developmentally appropriate. ..
- Neuropeptide Y Regulation of Peripheral Human Nociceptors and PainKenneth Hargreaves; Fiscal Year: 2007..Moreover, our study population in South Texas permits secondary analyses of a potentially underserved population (predominantly Hispanic) that is at risk for caries-induced pulpal necrosis and pain. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Neural blockade with vanilloidsIgor Kissin; Fiscal Year: 2007..To study the specific aims of the project the effects of RTX will be examined in rats by behavioral methods; and whole cell voltage-clamp technique will be used to identify a mechanism for impulse failure induced by RTX. ..
- The role of I-kappaB in control of glial inflammationDouglas Feinstein; Fiscal Year: 2006..These experiments will provide targets for therapeutic intervention to reduce pathological NOS2 in brain, and help develop a new animal model for examining brain inflammatory in the context of diminished NE levels. ..
- Mechanisms of Nicotine Induced Neurogenic InflammationKenneth Hargreaves; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- Neonatal Pain, Adult Biobehavioral Responses to StressGayle Page; Fiscal Year: 2005..Findings from these studies will demonstrate possible negative physiologic and behavioral sequelae of repeated painful experiences during neonatal development as well as suggest potential preventive interventions. ..
- Evaluation of Biliary Strictures by IDUS, DIA, and FISHMichael Levy; Fiscal Year: 2005..Significance: The study results have the potential to significantly improve the accurate diagnosis of biliary strictures. Earlier and more definitive diagnosis will translate into improved treatment options. ..
- Activation Gating in Human Heart Na+ ChannelsSho Ya Wang; Fiscal Year: 2004..Detailed mapping of the cytoplasmic S6 regions along with their linkage with the Na+ channel activation gating may provide insights for the design of new therapeutic drugs that target this important region. ..
- ORAL HEALTH OF OLDER TYPE 1 DIABETIC PATIENTSPaul Moore; Fiscal Year: 2003..This overall plan will permit us to understand the etiology of these complications and to define specific subpopulations and risk factors appropriate for future prospective oral health prevention and intervention trials. ..
- Photodynamic Therapy for the Treatment of Obstructive E*Todd Demmy; Fiscal Year: 2007..This proposal will be instrumental in the development of a novel PDT drug without long-term restrictions of patients' sun exposure. [unreadable] [unreadable]..