Genomes and Genes
Summary: A local anesthetic and cardiac depressant used as an antiarrhythmia agent. Its actions are more intense and its effects more prolonged than those of procaine but its duration of action is shorter than that of bupivacaine or prilocaine.
Publications296 found, 100 shown here
- Systemic lidocaine for neuropathic pain reliefJ Mao
MGH Pain Center, Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston 02114, USA
Pain 87:7-17. 2000The effectiveness of systemic lidocaine in relieving acute and chronic pain has been recognized for over 35 years...
- Do corticosteroids produce additional benefit in nerve root infiltration for lumbar disc herniation?Hisayoshi Tachihara
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Fukushima Medical University School of Medicine, Fukushima, Japan
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 33:743-7. 2008..Experimental animal study...
- Evaluation of the isoflurane-sparing effects of lidocaine and fentanyl during surgery in dogsPaulo V M Steagall
Department of Veterinary Surgery and Anesthesiology, School of Veterinary Medicine and Animal Science, Sao Paulo State University, Botucatu, SP 18618 000, Brazil
J Am Vet Med Assoc 229:522-7. 2006To evaluate the isoflurane-sparing effects of lidocaine and fentanyl administered by constant rate infusion (CRI) during surgery in dogs.
- Inhibition of nociceptors by TRPV1-mediated entry of impermeant sodium channel blockersAlexander M Binshtok
Department of Anesthesia and Critical Care, Massachusetts General Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Charlestown, Massachusetts 02129, USA
Nature 449:607-10. 2007..of primary sensory nociceptor (pain-sensing) neurons by introducing the charged, membrane-impermeant lidocaine derivative QX-314 through the pore of the noxious-heat-sensitive TRPV1 channel...
- Sustainable release of vancomycin, gentamicin and lidocaine from novel electrospun sandwich-structured PLGA/collagen nanofibrous membranesDave W Chen
Department of Mechanical Engineering, Chang Gung University, Tao Yuan, Taiwan
Int J Pharm 430:335-41. 2012This study investigated the in vitro release of vancomycin, gentamicin, and lidocaine from novel electrospun sandwich-structured polylactide-polyglycolide (PLGA)/collagen nanofibrous membranes...
- Molecular determinants of state-dependent block of Na+ channels by local anestheticsD S Ragsdale
Department of Pharmacology, University of Washington, Seattle 98195
Science 265:1724-8. 1994..The results define the location of the local anesthetic receptor site in the pore of the Na+ channel and identify molecular determinants of the state-dependent binding of local anesthetics...
- A comparison of articaine and lidocaine for inferior alveolar nerve blocksPhilip Mikesell
Department of Endodontics, The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH, USA
J Endod 31:265-70. 2005..was to compare the degree of pulpal anesthesia obtained with 4% articaine with 1:100,000 epinephrine and 2% lidocaine with 1:100,000 epinephrine in inferior alveolar nerve blocks...
- Fluoroscopic caudal epidural injections with or without steroids in managing pain of lumbar spinal stenosis: one-year results of randomized, double-blind, active-controlled trialLaxmaiah Manchikanti
Pain Management Center of Paducah, Paducah, KY 42003, USA
J Spinal Disord Tech 25:226-34. 2012..A randomized, double-blind, active-controlled trial...
- Inactivation of the interoceptive insula disrupts drug craving and malaise induced by lithiumMarco Contreras
Departamento de Fisiologia, Facultad de Ciencias Biologicas, Pontificia Universidad Catolica de Chile, Santiago 6513677, Chile
Science 318:655-8. 2007..We conclude that the insular cortex is a key structure in the perception of bodily needs that provides direction to motivated behaviors...
- Dupuytren's fasciectomies in 60 consecutive digits using lidocaine with epinephrine and no tourniquetKeith Denkler
Department of Plastic Surgery, University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, Calif, USA
Plast Reconstr Surg 115:802-10. 2005..The old dogma against its use in the fingers is refuted, as seen by the results in these 60 consecutive Dupuytren's fasciectomies and the results of other authors...
- Lidocaine-induced cell death in a human model of neuronal apoptosisP Friederich
Universitätsklinik Eppendorf, Department of Anaesthesiology, Centre for Molecular Neurobiology, Hamburg, Germany
Eur J Anaesthesiol 19:564-70. 2002Clinical studies suggest that lidocaine may induce irreversible neurological damage after spinal application in human beings...
- Intractable cardiac arrest due to lidocaine toxicity successfully resuscitated with lipid emulsionStephanie K Dix
Department of Anesthesiology, Perioperative and Pain Medicine, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Boston, MA, USA
Crit Care Med 39:872-4. 2011Demonstrate a case report involving successful use of lipid emulsion therapy for intractable cardiac arrest due to lidocaine toxicity.
- Lidocaine induces apoptosis via the mitochondrial pathway independently of death receptor signalingRobert Werdehausen
Department of Anesthesiology, University of Dusseldorf, Dusseldorf, Germany
Anesthesiology 107:136-43. 2007Local anesthetics, especially lidocaine, can lead to persistent cauda equina syndrome after spinal anesthesia. Recently, lidocaine has been reported to trigger apoptosis, although the underlying mechanisms remain unknown...
- The anti-allodynic effects of amitriptyline, gabapentin, and lidocaine in a rat model of neuropathic painS Abdi
Department of Anesthesiology and Critical Care, The Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston 02114, USA
Anesth Analg 87:1360-6. 1998..regarding the acute effects of the commonly used adjuvant drugs amitriptyline (AMI), gabapentin (GBP), and lidocaine (LDC) on neuropathic pain behaviors in animal models...
- Local anesthetic sciatic nerve block and nerve fiber damage in diabetic ratsJeffrey S Kroin
Department of Anesthesiology, Rush University Medical Center, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
Reg Anesth Pain Med 35:343-50. 2010..A previous study in streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats showed that larger doses of lidocaine produce moderate nerve injury after nerve block in normal rats and worse injury in diabetic rats...
- Systemic lidocaine shortens length of hospital stay after colorectal surgery: a double-blinded, randomized, placebo-controlled trialSusanne Herroeder
Laboratory of Experimental Intensive Care and Anesthesiology, Academic Medical Center Amsterdam, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Ann Surg 246:192-200. 2007To characterize the beneficial effects of perioperative systemic lidocaine on length of hospital stay, gastrointestinal motility, and the inflammatory response after colorectal surgery.
- Comparative study of the anesthetic efficacy of 4% articaine versus 2% lidocaine in inferior alveolar nerve block during surgical extraction of impacted lower third molarsAlejandro Sierra Rebolledo
University of Barcelona Dental School, Barcelona, Spain
Med Oral Patol Oral Cir Bucal 12:E139-44. 2007A comparative study is made of the anesthetic efficacy of 4% articaine versus 2% lidocaine, both with epinephrine 1:100,000, in truncal block of the inferior alveolar nerve during the surgical extraction of impacted lower third molars.
- Comparison of the degree of pulpal anesthesia achieved with the intraosseous injection and infiltration injection using 2% lidocaine with 1:100,000 epinephrineJohn Nusstein
Department of Endodontics, The Ohio State University, Columbus, USA
Gen Dent 53:50-3. 2005..degree of pulpal anesthesia obtained from an intraosseous injection to an infiltration injection that used 2% lidocaine with 1:100,000 epinephrine...
- Greater occipital nerve injection in primary headache syndromes--prolonged effects from a single injectionS K Afridi
Headache Group, Institute of Neurology, The National Hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery, Queen Square, London, UK
Pain 122:126-9. 2006..It is remarkable that in all conditions in which an effect is observed the response time so much exceeds the local anesthetic effect that the mechanism of action may well be through changes in brain nociceptive pathways...
- Systemic administration of local anesthetics to relieve neuropathic pain: a systematic review and meta-analysisIvo W Tremont-Lukats
Department of Neurology, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, SC, USA
Anesth Analg 101:1738-49. 2005..Of 41 retrieved studies, 27 trials of diverse quality were included in the systematic review. Ten lidocaine and nine mexiletine trials had data suitable for meta-analysis (n = 706 patients total)...
- Perioperative intravenous lidocaine has preventive effects on postoperative pain and morphine consumption after major abdominal surgeryWolfgang Koppert
Department of Anesthesiology, University of Erlangen, Erlangen, Germany
Anesth Analg 98:1050-5, table of contents. 2004..in this study was to determine the time course of the analgesic and antihyperalgesic mechanisms of perioperative lidocaine administration...
- Comparison of 0.5% levobupivacaine, 0.5% bupivacaine, and 2% lidocaine for retrobulbar anesthesia in vitreoretinal surgeryRecep Aksu
Department of Anesthesiology, Erciyes University School of Medicine, Kayseri Turkey
Eur J Ophthalmol 19:280-4. 2009The authors compared the efficacy of local anesthetics levobupivacaine, bupivacaine, and lidocaine for retrobulbar anesthesia in vitreoretinal surgery.
- Antinociceptive effects of systemic lidocaine: involvement of the spinal glycinergic systemUta Muth-Selbach
Department of Anesthesiology, University of Duesseldorf, Germany
Eur J Pharmacol 613:68-73. 2009..The antinociceptive effect of lidocaine is well documented, yet the exact mechanism is not fully understood...
- The effect of lidocaine on the globule size distribution of propofol emulsionsJong Woo Park
Department of Pharmaceutics, College of Pharmacy, Sungkyunkwan University, Suwon, South Korea
Anesth Analg 97:769-71. 2003In this study, we sought to determine the globule size distribution of a propofol/lidocaine mixture as a function of lidocaine concentration and time elapsed after mixing in a standard formulation of propofol emulsion (Diprivan) and in a ..
- Heated lidocaine/tetracaine patch (Synera, Rapydan) compared with lidocaine/prilocaine cream (EMLA) for topical anaesthesia before vascular accessJ Sawyer
Prism Ideas Ltd, Regent House Princes Court, Beam Heath Way, Nantwich, Chesire CW5 7PQ, UK
Br J Anaesth 102:210-5. 2009We compared the lidocaine/tetracaine patch [Synera (USA), Rapydan (Europe)], a novel heat-aided patch using a eutectic mixture of lidocaine 70 mg and tetracaine 70 mg, with a eutectic mixture of lidocaine 25 mg ml(-1) and prilocaine 25 ..
- In vitro, inhibition of mitogen-activated protein kinase pathways protects against bupivacaine- and ropivacaine-induced neurotoxicityPhilipp Lirk
Department of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine, Innsbruck Medical University, Anichstr 35, 6020 Innsbruck, Austria
Anesth Analg 106:1456-64, table of contents. 2008..show us that specific activation of the p38 mitogen-activated protein kinase (MAPK) may be a pivotal step in lidocaine neurotoxicity, but this has not been investigated in the case of two very widely used local anesthetics, ..
- 5% lidocaine medicated plaster versus pregabalin in post-herpetic neuralgia and diabetic polyneuropathy: an open-label, non-inferiority two-stage RCT studyRalf Baron
Division of Neurological Pain Research and Therapy, Department of Neurology, Universitatsklinikum Schleswig Holstein, Campus Kiel, Kiel, Germany
Curr Med Res Opin 25:1663-76. 2009To compare efficacy and safety of 5% lidocaine medicated plaster with pregabalin in patients with post-herpetic neuralgia (PHN) or painful diabetic polyneuropathy (DPN).
- Systemic absorption of topical lidocaine in normal volunteers, patients with post-herpetic neuralgia, and patients with acute herpes zosterBryan J Campbell
Division of Drug Delivery and Disposition, School of Pharmacy, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, NC 27599, USA
J Pharm Sci 91:1343-50. 2002Topical lidocaine has been recently marketed as a new treatment for post-herpetic neuralgia...
- Efficacy and tolerability of a 5% lidocaine medicated plaster for the topical treatment of post-herpetic neuralgia: results of a long-term studyGuy Hans
Multidisciplinary Pain Center PCT, Antwerp University Hospital UZA, Edegem, Belgium
Curr Med Res Opin 25:1295-305. 2009Evaluation of long-term efficacy and safety of the 5% lidocaine medicated plaster for neuropathic pain symptoms in patients with post-herpetic neuralgia (PHN).
- Intranasal lidocaine for cluster headacheL Robbins
Robbins Headache Clinic, Northbrook, Illinois, USA
Headache 35:83-4. 1995Thirty male patients with cluster headache were given 4% lidocaine solution to use intranasally as an abortive therapy. Four sprays of lidocaine were used ipsilateral to the pain, and two more were used, if necessary...
- Topical anesthetics update: EMLA and beyondP M Friedman
Derm Surgery Associates, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Dermatol Surg 27:1019-26. 2001..EMLA is the most commonly used agent, however, several new topical anesthetic agents have been released recently that claim increased efficacy and a faster onset of action...
- A single injection of lidocaine as local anesthesia for ultrasound guided needle biopsy of the prostateGianluigi Taverna
Department of Urology, Istituto Clinico Humanitas, Rozzano Milan, Italy
J Urol 167:222-3. 2002We evaluated the effectiveness of a single injection of lidocaine on patient tolerance of multiple needle biopsies of the prostate.
- Electrostatic contributions of aromatic residues in the local anesthetic receptor of voltage-gated sodium channelsChristopher A Ahern
Department of Molecular Physiology and Biophysics, Institute of Hyperexcitability, Jefferson Medical College, Philadelphia, PA, USA
Circ Res 102:86-94. 2008..We tested whether channel inhibition was facilitated by an electrostatic attraction between lidocaine and pi electrons of the aromatic rings of these residues, namely a cation-pi interaction...
- Symptom profiles differ in patients with neuropathic versus non-neuropathic painRobert H Dworkin
Department of Anesthesiology, University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry, Rochester, New York 14642, USA
J Pain 8:118-26. 2007..These assessments were conducted before treatment had begun in clinical trials of lidocaine patch 5% administered alone or with stable dosages of other analgesics...
- Prolonged relief of neuralgia after regional anesthetic blocks. A call for further experimental and systematic clinical studiesS Arner
Dept of Anesthesiology and Intensive Care, Karolinska Hospital, Stockholm, Sweden
Pain 43:287-97. 1990..To test this hypothesis, an experimental study with [3H]lidocaine was performed in 6 rats...
- A microdialysis model to examine nasal drug delivery and olfactory absorption in rats using lidocaine hydrochloride as a model drugMorten Bagger
Department of Pharmaceutics, The Danish University of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Universitetsparken 2, DK 2100 Copenhagen, Denmark
Int J Pharm 269:311-22. 2004..for olfactory drug absorption has been investigated using intravenous and unilateral nasal administration of lidocaine hydrochloride in rats...
- Lidocaine inhibits epithelial chemokine secretion via inhibition of nuclear factor kappa B activationAlon Lang
Department of Gastroenterology, Chaim Sheba Medical Center, Tel Aviv University, Tel Hashomer 52621, Israel
Immunobiology 215:304-13. 2010To study the antiinflammatory effect of lidocaine in intestinal epithelial cells.
- Modulation of mitochondrial bioenergetics in the isolated Guinea pig beating heart by potassium and lidocaine cardioplegia: implications for cardioprotectionMohammed Aldakkak
Department of Anesthesiology, The Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, WI 53226, USA
J Cardiovasc Pharmacol 54:298-309. 2009..We tested if hyperkalemic cardioplegia (CP) and lidocaine (LID) differently modulate mitochondrial (m) bioenergetics and protect hearts against I/R injury...
- Experimental incision-induced pain in human skin: effects of systemic lidocaine on flare formation and hyperalgesiaMikito Kawamata
Department of Anesthesiology, Sapporo Medical University School of Medicine, South 1, West 16, Chuo Ku, Sapporo 060 8543, Hokkaido, Japan
Pain 100:77-89. 2002..In experiment 1, the subjects (n=8) were administered lidocaine systemically (a bolus injection of 2mg/kg for a period of 5 min followed by an intravenous infusion of 2mg/kg/h ..
- Formulation and evaluation of lidocaine lipid nanosystems for dermal deliveryPankaj Pathak
Department of Pharmaceutics, Bombay College of Pharmacy, Sundernagar, Kalina, Santacruz East, Mumbai 400098, India
AAPS PharmSciTech 10:985-92. 2009..SLN) and nanostructured lipid carriers (NLC) for improving the dermal delivery of a local anesthetic agent lidocaine (LID)...
- Sustained delivery of lidocaine into the cochlea using poly lactic/glycolic acid microparticlesRie T Horie
Department of Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, Graduate School of Medicine, Kyoto University, Kyoto, Japan
Laryngoscope 120:377-83. 2010b>Lidocaine is a local anesthetic that is known to suppress tinnitus via systemic or local application; however, this effect has only limited duration...
- Lidocaine 4% cream compared with lidocaine 2.5% and prilocaine 2.5% or dorsal penile block for circumcisionVictoria Tutag Lehr
Department of Pharmacy Practice, The Eugene Applebaum College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences, Pediatric Pharmacology Research Unit, Children s Hospital of Michigan, Detroit, Michigan 48201, USA
Am J Perinatol 22:231-7. 2005This study evaluated the efficacy and safety of lidocaine 4% cream (LMX4), compared with lidocaine 2.5% and prilocaine 2.5% (EMLA) or dorsal penile block (DPNB) for analgesia during circumcision...
- A Nav1.7 channel mutation associated with hereditary erythromelalgia contributes to neuronal hyperexcitability and displays reduced lidocaine sensitivityPatrick L Sheets
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Stark Neurosciences Research Institute, Indiana University School of Medicine, 950 West Walnut St, R2 468, Indianapolis, IN 46202, USA
J Physiol 581:1019-31. 2007..can be difficult to treat and, although sodium channels are targeted by local anaesthetics such as lidocaine (lignocaine), some patients do not respond to treatment with local anaesthetics...
- Randomized double-blind comparison of lidocaine gel and plain lubricating gel in relieving pain during flexible cystoscopyYung Tai Chen
Department of Urology, Taiwan Adventist Hospital, Taiwan
J Endourol 19:163-6. 2005To compare the pain induced by outpatient flexible cystoscopy in men having local lidocaine jelly application or plain lubricant.
- The effect of ivermectin on convulsions in rats produced by lidocaine and strychnineS M Trailović
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, University of Belgrade, Bulevar JA 18, Belgrade 11000, Serbia and Montenegro
Vet Res Commun 31:863-72. 2007..more than one mechanism; therefore, the anticonvulsive effect of ivermectin against convulsions caused by lidocaine and strychnine was evaluated...
- Effect of intravenous lidocaine and ketamine on the minimum alveolar concentration of isoflurane in goatsTom Doherty
Department of Large Animal Clinical Sciences, College of Veterinary Medicine, University of Tennessee, Knoxville, TN 37996, USA
Vet Anaesth Analg 34:125-31. 2007To evaluate the effects of i.v. lidocaine (L) and ketamine (K), alone and in combination (LK), on the minimum alveolar concentration (MAC) of isoflurane (ISO) in goats.
- Functional integration of electrically active cardiac derivatives from genetically engineered human embryonic stem cells with quiescent recipient ventricular cardiomyocytes: insights into the development of cell-based pacemakersTian Xue
Department of Medicine, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
Circulation 111:11-20. 2005..Although CMs can be derived from hESCs ex vivo, it remains uncertain whether a functional syncytium can be formed between donor and recipient cells after engraftment...
- Lidocaine down-regulates nuclear factor-kappaB signalling and inhibits cytokine production and T cell proliferationA Lahat
Department of Gastroenterology, Chaim Sheba Medical Center affiliated with the Sackler School of Medicine, Tel Aviv University, Tel Aviv, Israel
Clin Exp Immunol 152:320-7. 2008b>Lidocaine is a commonly used local anaesthetic agent which has also been found to possess anti-inflammatory activity in several disorders. However, the mechanism of this effect has been little explored...
- Spray-as-you-go airway topical anesthesia in patients with a difficult airway: a randomized, double-blind comparison of 2% and 4% lidocaineFu S Xue
Department of Anesthesiology, Plastic Surgery Hospital, Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences and Peking Union Medical College, 33 Ba Da Chu Rd, Shi Jing Shan District, Beijing, People s Republic of China 100144
Anesth Analg 108:536-43. 2009We designed this randomized, double-blind clinical study to compare the safety and efficacy of 2% and 4% lidocaine during airway topical anesthesia with a spray-as-you-go technique via the fiberoptic bronchoscope.
- Caudal epidural block for minor gynecologic procedures in outpatient surgeryShu Yam Wong
Department of Anesthesiology, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan 333, ROC
Chang Gung Med J 27:116-21. 2004..The aim of this study was to verify whether CEB could be applied as a simple, safe and economic method of anesthesia for adult patients undergoing minor gynecologic procedures (MGP)...
- The effects of intravenous lidocaine administration on the minimum alveolar concentration of isoflurane in catsBruno H Pypendop
Department of Surgical and Radiological Sciences, School of Veterinary Medicine, University of California, One Shields Avenue, Davis, CA 95616, USA
Anesth Analg 100:97-101. 2005b>Lidocaine decreases the minimum alveolar concentration (MAC) of inhaled anesthetics and has been used clinically to reduce the requirements for other anesthetic drugs...
- Systemic lidocaine in pain due to peripheral nerve injury and predictors of responseN Attal
INSERM E 332, Centre d Evaluation et de Traitement de la Douleur, Hopital Ambroise Pare, AP HP, and Université Versailles Saint Quentin, France
Neurology 62:218-25. 2004To investigate the effects of IV lidocaine on spontaneous and evoked pain (allodynia and hyperalgesia) due to peripheral nerve injury (postherpetic neuralgia or nerve trauma) using quantitative sensory testing.
- Dexamethasone attenuated bupivacaine-induced neuron injury in vitro through a threonine-serine protein kinase B-dependent mechanismR Ma
Department of Anesthesiology, First Affiliated Hospital with Nanjing Medical University, Nanjing, PR China
Neuroscience 167:329-42. 2010..We also investigated whether dexamethasone could prevent lidocaine-induced neurotoxicity...
- Intracervical lidocaine gel for intrauterine device insertion: a randomized controlled trialKarla Maguire
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Miami, Miller School of Medicine, Miami, FL 33136, USA
Contraception 86:214-9. 2012..One study suggested that 2% lidocaine gel decreased pain; however, study design problems limit its validity (Brit J Fam Plann 1996;22:177-180)...
- The influence of propofol, remifentanil and lidocaine on the tone of human bronchial smooth musclePaola Rogliani
Department of System Medicine, University of Rome Tor Vergata, Rome, Italy
Pulm Pharmacol Ther 26:325-31. 2013Bronchoscopy is generally a safe procedure, but the induction of anaesthesia can induce bronchospasm. Consequently we investigated the influence of propofol, remifentanil and lidocaine on the tone of the human bronchial smooth muscle.
- Lidocaine-loaded non-ionic surfactant vesicles: characterization and in vitro permeation studiesM Carafa
Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Rome La Sapienza, P le A Moro 5, 00185, Rome, Italy
Int J Pharm 231:21-32. 2002Our research on topical application of lidocaine-loaded non-ionic surfactant vesicles (NSVs) was prompted by the great interest on new delivery systems for local anaesthetics...
- Effects of lidocaine constant rate infusion on sevoflurane requirement, autonomic responses, and postoperative analgesia in dogs undergoing ovariectomy under opioid-based balanced anesthesiaNicolò Columbano
Dipartimento di Patologia e Clinica Veterinaria, Sezione di Clinica Chirurgica Veterinaria, Facolta di Medicina Veterinaria, Universita degli Studi di Sassari, I 07100 Sassari, Italy
Vet J 193:448-55. 2012The effects of constant rate infusion (CRI) of lidocaine on sevoflurane (SEVO) requirements, autonomic responses to noxious stimulation, and postoperative pain relief were evaluated in dogs undergoing opioid-based balanced anesthesia...
- Bacterial cellulose membranes applied in topical and transdermal delivery of lidocaine hydrochloride and ibuprofen: in vitro diffusion studiesEliane Trovatti
CICECO and Department of Chemistry, University of Aveiro, 3810 193 Aveiro, Portugal
Int J Pharm 435:83-7. 2012..To assess its therapeutic feasibility, the permeation through human epidermis of two model drugs (lidocaine hydrochloride and ibuprofen) in BC and other formulation systems was compared in vitro...
- A smaller endotracheal tube combined with intravenous lidocaine decreases post-operative sore throat - a randomized controlled trialY J Xu
Department of Anesthesiology, Fudan University, Shanghai Cancer Center, Shanghai, China
Acta Anaesthesiol Scand 56:1314-20. 2012..We conducted a trial to evaluate the effect of non-pharmacological [smaller-sized endotracheal tube (ETT)] combined with pharmacological intervention [lidocaine intravenous (i.v.)] on POST in women undergoing thyroid surgery.
- Pregabalin, the lidocaine plaster and duloxetine in patients with refractory neuropathic pain: a systematic reviewMelanie Plested
Heron Evidence Development Ltd, Butterfield Technology Park, Luton, UK
BMC Neurol 10:116. 2010..The aim of this study was to identify published data for three pharmacological treatments: pregabalin, lidocaine plaster, and duloxetine, which are typically used at 2(nd) line or later in UK patients with neuropathic pain.
- Cervical lidocaine for IUD insertional pain: a randomized controlled trialColleen P McNicholas
Division of Clinical Research, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Washington University in St Louis School of Medicine, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
Am J Obstet Gynecol 207:384.e1-6. 2012Anticipated pain with intrauterine device (IUD) insertion may be a barrier to widespread use. Our objective was to evaluate the efficacy of intracervical 2% lidocaine gel for pain relief with IUD insertion.
- Penetration enhancement of lidocaine hydrochlorid by a novel chitosan coated elastic liposome for transdermal drug deliveryLingling Li
Key Laboratory of Nanobiological Technology, Ministry of Health National Hepatobiliary and Enteric Surgery Research Center, Central South University, Changsha, Hunan 410008, P R China
J Biomed Nanotechnol 7:704-13. 2011An effective transdermal delivery system for local anaesthetic was developed with lidocaine hydrochloride (LID) as model drug...
- Lidocaine-derivative JMF2-1 prevents ovalbumin-induced airway inflammation by regulating the function and survival of T cellsP C Olsen
Laboratory of Inflammation, Oswaldo Cruz Institute, Oswaldo Cruz Foundation FIOCRUZ, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Clin Exp Allergy 41:250-9. 2011Inhalation of the local anaesthetic lidocaine has been suggested to be beneficial for asthmatics, but airway anaesthesia is unpleasant and may exacerbate bronchoconstriction...
- Analysis of the action of lidocaine on insect sodium channelsWeizhong Song
Department of Entomology, Genetics and Neuroscience Programs, Michigan State University, 106 CIPS, East Lansing, MI 48824, USA
Insect Biochem Mol Biol 41:36-41. 2011..In this study, we examined the effects of lidocaine on a cockroach sodium channel variant, BgNa(v)1-1a, and determined whether F1817 and Y1824 are also critical for ..
- Long-term treatment of neuropathic pain with a 5% lidocaine medicated plasterIlca Ricarda Wilhelm
Department of Anaesthesiology, University Hospital Erlangen, Erlangen, Germany
Eur J Anaesthesiol 27:169-73. 2010The 5% lidocaine medicated plaster is a topical treatment for peripheral neuropathic pain symptoms (e.g. burning, shooting and stabbing pain) and is registered for the treatment of postherpetic neuralgia...
- A prospective, randomized, double-blind comparison of articaine and lidocaine for maxillary infiltrationsGrace Evans
Division of Endodontics, The Ohio State University, Columbus, USA
J Endod 34:389-93. 2008..crossover study was to evaluate the anesthetic efficacy of 4% articaine with 1:100,000 epinephrine and 2% lidocaine with 1:100,000 epinephrine in maxillary lateral incisors and first molars...
- Can intravenous lidocaine decrease postsurgical ileus and shorten hospital stay in elective bowel surgery? A pilot study and literature reviewKyle P Harvey
Department of Surgery, St Joseph Mercy Oakland Hospital, Pontiac, MI, USA
Am J Surg 198:231-6. 2009This study examined whether systemic infusion of lidocaine, a local anesthetic with anti-inflammatory properties, can decrease surgical pain, length of postsurgical ileus, and hospital stay.
- 5% lidocaine medicated plaster in elderly patients with postherpetic neuralgia: results of a compassionate use programme in FranceFlorentin Clère
Centre Hospitalier, Consultation Pluridisciplinaire de la Douleur, Chateauroux, France
Drugs Aging 28:693-702. 2011..PHN prevalence increases with advancing age. One treatment option is the topical analgesic 5% lidocaine (lignocaine) medicated plaster (Versatis®), which has been proven to be efficacious and well tolerated in a ..
- Intravenous lidocaine infusion facilitates acute rehabilitation after laparoscopic colectomyAbdourahamane Kaba
Department of Anesthesia and Intensive Care Medicine, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire CHU de Liège, University of Liege, Belgium
Anesthesiology 106:11-8; discussion 5-6. 2007Intravenous infusion of lidocaine decreases postoperative pain and speeds the return of bowel function...
- Pain quality predicts lidocaine analgesia among patients with suspected neuropathic painIan R Carroll
Stanford University School of Medicine, 780 Welch Rd Suite 208E, Palo Alto, CA 94040, USA
Pain Med 11:617-21. 2010..We hypothesized that differing baseline pain qualities (e.g. "stabbing" vs "dull") might define specific subgroups responsive to intravenous (IV) lidocaine-a potent sodium channel blocker.
- A comparison between articaine HCl and lidocaine HCl in pediatric dental patientsS F Malamed
School of Dentistry, University of Southern California, USA
Pediatr Dent 22:307-11. 2000..were conducted to compare the safety and efficacy of articaine HCl (4% with epinephrine 1:100,000) to that of lidocaine HCl (2% with epinephrine 1:100,000) in patients aged 4 years to 79 years, with subgroup analysis on subjects 4 ..
- A randomized, double-masked, placebo-controlled pilot trial of extended IV lidocaine infusion for relief of ongoing neuropathic painIvo W Tremont-Lukats
Department of Neurology, University of Wisconsin Madison, Madison, WI 53792, USA
Clin J Pain 22:266-71. 2006To determine the dose-response effect and safety of IV lidocaine at different dose infusion rates on spontaneous ongoing neuropathic pain.
- Comparison of articaine and bupivacaine/lidocaine for sub-Tenon's anaesthesia in cataract extractionP Gouws
West of England Eye Unit, Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital, Barrack Road, Exeter EX2 5DW, UK
Br J Anaesth 92:228-30. 2004..We have previously shown articaine to be superior to a standard mixture of bupivacaine 0.5%/lidocaine 2% for peribulbar anaesthesia...
- Topical amitriptyline versus lidocaine in the treatment of neuropathic painKok Yuen Ho
Department of Anaesthesia and Surgical Intensive Care, Singapore General Hospital, Singapore
Clin J Pain 24:51-5. 2008..We conducted a double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled crossover study to evaluate the efficacy of topical 5% amitriptyline and 5% lidocaine in treating patients with neuropathic pain.
- Effect of systemic lidocaine on visceral and somatic nociception in conscious horsesS A Robertson
Island Whirl Equine Colic Research Laboratory, Department of Large Animal Clinical Sciences, University of Florida, College of Veterinary Medicine, Gainesville, Florida 32610 0136, USA
Equine Vet J 37:122-7. 2005..Commonly used analgesics (nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory agents, opioids and alpha2-agonists) have unwanted side effects. An effective alternative with minimal adverse effects would benefit clinical equine pain management...
- The efficacy and safety of articaine versus lignocaine in dental treatments: a meta-analysisVandana Katyal
School of Public Health, University of Sydney, Sydney NSW 2006, Australia
J Dent 38:307-17. 2010..The aim of this systematic review was to compare the efficacy and safety of articaine with lignocaine in maxillary and mandibular infiltrations and block anaesthesia in patients presenting for routine dental treatments...
- Sodium channel molecular conformations and antiarrhythmic drug affinityMichael F Sheets
University of Utah, The Nora Eccles Harrison Cardiovascular Research and Teaching Institute, Department of Internal Medicine, Salt Lake City, UT 84112, USA
Trends Cardiovasc Med 20:16-21. 2010Class I cardiac antiarrhythmic drugs, for example, lidocaine, mexiletine, flecainide, quinidine, and procainamide, continue to play an important role in the therapy for cardiac arrhythmias because of the presence of use-dependent block...
- Mechanically induced axon reflex and hyperalgesia in human UV-B burn are reduced by systemic lidocaineWolfgang Koppert
Department of Anesthesiology, University of Erlangen, Germany
Eur J Pain 8:237-44. 2004..In a cross-over double blind design (n = 10), low dose of systemic lidocaine suppressed mechanical hyperalgesia in sunburned skin and in the mechanically induced flare...
- A prospective randomized double-blinded pilot study to examine the effect of botulinum toxin type A injection versus Lidocaine/Depomedrol injection on residual and phantom limb pain: initial reportHong Wu
Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, WI 53226, USA
Clin J Pain 28:108-12. 2012..Botulinum toxin type A (Botox) injection has been used to manage pain. However, it remains to be proved whether Botox injection is effective to relieve residual limb pain (RLP) and phantom limb pain (PLP)...
- The critical role of concentration for lidocaine block of peripheral nerve in vivo: studies of function and drug uptake in the ratTadashi Nakamura
Pain Research Center, Department of Anesthesiology, Perioperative and Pain Medicine, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Anesthesiology 99:1189-97. 2003..This study examines the lidocaine dosage requirement, in milligrams, for functionally assayed sciatic nerve block in the rat using a fourfold ..
- Intra-hippocampal lidocaine injections impair acquisition of a place task and facilitate acquisition of a response task in ratsQing Chang
Department of Psychology, University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign, 603 East Daniel Street, Champaign, IL 61820, USA
Behav Brain Res 144:19-24. 2003..The present experiment examines the effects of inactivation of the hippocampus with lidocaine prior to learning, to find food in a place or response version of a four-arm plus-shaped maze...
- Systemic lidocaine inhibits remifentanil-induced hyperalgesia via the inhibition of cPKCgamma membrane translocation in spinal dorsal horn of ratsWeihua Cui
Department of Anesthesia, Capital Medical University Affiliated Beijing Friendship Hospital, Beijing Institute for Neuroscience, Capital Medical University, Beijing 100069, PR China
J Neurosurg Anesthesiol 21:318-25. 2009..to determine the involvement of conventional protein kinase Cgamma (cPKCgamma) in the inhibitory action of lidocaine on remifentanil-induced hyperalgesia of rats after propofol-remifentanil-based anesthesia...
- Comparison of anesthetic efficacy of 4% articaine and 2% lidocaine for maxillary buccal infiltration in patients with irreversible pulpitisNarasimhan Srinivasan
Department of Conservative Dentistry, Tamilnadu Government Dental College and Hospital, Chennai 3, India
Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 107:133-6. 2009..this prospective, randomized, double-blind study was to compare the anesthetic efficacy of 4% articaine and 2% lidocaine (both with 1:100,000 epinephrine) for buccal infiltration in patients experiencing irreversible pulpitis in ..
- Trigeminal neuropathic pain in a patient with progressive facial hemiatrophy (parry-romberg syndrome)Michele Viana
Headache Group, Department of Neurology, University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, CA 94143 1675, USA
Arch Neurol 68:938-43. 2011..We reviewed the literature on published cases of progressive facial hemiatrophy (Parry-Romberg syndrome) to identify possible pathophysiological mechanisms of the syndrome...
- Enhanced sensory relearning after nerve repair by using repeated forearm anaesthesia: aspects on time dynamics of treatmentG Lundborg
Department of Clinical Sciences Hand Surgery, Malmo University Hospital, Malmo, Sweden
Acta Neurochir Suppl 100:121-6. 2007..In healthy individuals selective anaesthesia of the forearm results in improved hand sensation. Here we hypothesised that this principle would be valid also after nerve injury and repair...
- Comparison of articaine and lidocaine for infiltration anaesthesia in patients undergoing bone marrow aspiration and biopsyAnna Maria Kuivalainen
Department of Anaesthesiology and Intensive Care Medicine, University of Helsinki, Post Box 20, FIN 00014 Helsinki, Finland
Eur J Pain 14:160-3. 2010..anaesthesia with articaine, a local anaesthetic able to penetrate bone, may relieve procedural pain better than lidocaine in bone marrow aspiration and biopsy...
- Acid solution is a suitable medium for introducing QX-314 into nociceptors through TRPV1 channels to produce sensory-specific analgesic effectsHe Liu
Jiangsu Province Key Laboratory of Anesthesiology, Xuzhou Medical College, Xuzhou, China
PLoS ONE 6:e29395. 2011....
- Pharmacokinetics and safety of continuously applied lidocaine patches 5%Arnold R Gammaitoni
Endo Pharmaceuticals Inc, 100 Painters Drive, Chadds Ford, PA 19317, USA
Am J Health Syst Pharm 59:2215-20. 2002The pharmacokinetics, safety, and tolerability of four topical lidocaine patches 5% continuously applied for 72 hours and changed every 12 or 24 hours were examined...
- Synthesis of lidocaine-loaded PLGA microparticles by flow focusing. Effects on drug loading and release propertiesM A Holgado
Departamento de Farmacia y Tecnologia Farmaceutica, Facultad de Farmacia, Universidad de Sevilla, C Profesor García González 2, Seville, Spain
Int J Pharm 358:27-35. 2008In the present work, two methods for the preparation of lidocaine-loaded PLGA microparticles are compared...
- Efficacy of articaine formulations: quantitative reviewsKellie Paxton
Dent Clin North Am 54:643-53. 2010..Articaine has been commonly compared with its predecessor, lidocaine hydrochloride...
- Protocol for evaluation of the comparative effectiveness of percutaneous adhesiolysis and caudal epidural steroid injections in low back and/or lower extremity pain without post surgery syndrome or spinal stenosisLaxmaiah Manchikanti
Pain Management Center of Paducah, Paducah, KY, USA
Pain Physician 13:E91-E110. 2010....
- Comparison of a bupivacaine 0.5% and lidocaine 2% mixture with levobupivacaine 0.75% and ropivacaine 1% in peribulbar anaesthesia for cataract surgery with phacoemulsificationMehmet Borazan
Department of Ophthalmology, Baskent University School of Medicine, Ankara, Turkey
Acta Ophthalmol Scand 85:844-7. 2007To compare a bupivacaine and lidocaine mixture with levobupivacaine and ropivacaine in terms of safety, efficacy and blocking quality in peribulbar anaesthesia for phacoemulsification.
- Lidocaine/tetracaine medicated plaster: in minor dermatological and needle puncture proceduresJamie D Croxtall
Adis, a Wolters Kluwer Business, Auckland, New Zealand
Drugs 70:2113-20. 2010The lidocaine/tetracaine medicated plaster comprises a lidocaine/tetracaine 70 mg/70 mg patch and a controlled heat-assisted drug delivery pod that increases the diffusion of lidocaine and tetracaine into the dermis...
- An investigation of changes in physical properties of injectable calcium hydroxylapatite in a carrier gel when mixed with lidocaine and with lidocaine/epinephrineMariano Busso
University of Miami, Coral Gables, Florida, USA
Dermatol Surg 34:S16-23; discussion S24. 2008....
- Dexamethasone added to lidocaine prolongs axillary brachial plexus blockadeAli Movafegh
Department of Anesthesiology and Critical Care, Dr Ali Shariati Hospital, Tehran, Iran
Anesth Analg 102:263-7. 2006..We designed a prospective, randomized, double-blind study to evaluate the effect of dexamethasone added to lidocaine on the onset and duration of axillary brachial plexus block...
- Prolonged suppression of postincisional pain by a slow-release formulation of lidocaineChi Fei Wang
Tufts School of Medicine, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Anesthesiology 114:135-49. 2011..Here we tested Xybrex (Orthocon, Inc., Irvington, NY), a slow-release formulation of lidocaine that blocks rat sciatic nerve for 1-2 days, for its ability to suppress postincisional pain.
- European evaluation of a new hyaluronic acid filler incorporating lidocaineGregor Wahl
J Cosmet Dermatol 7:298-303. 2008A new dermal filler has been developed with preincorporated lidocaine for the treatment of moderate/severe wrinkles.
- Suppression of cough during emergence from general anesthesia: laryngotracheal lidocaine through a modified endotracheal tubeC A Diachun
Department of Anesthesia, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, CA 94305 5640, USA
J Clin Anesth 13:447-51. 2001..To ascertain if coughing during emergence from general anesthesia can be suppressed with a modified endotracheal tube...
- A comparison of ketamine and lidocaine spray with propofol for the insertion of laryngeal mask airway in children: a double-blinded randomized trialJae Hyon Bahk
Department of Anesthesiology and Clinical Research Institute, Seoul National University Hospital, Seoul National University College of Medicine, Korea
Anesth Analg 95:1586-9, table of contents. 2002..In this double-blinded, randomized study, we examined whether pretreatment with lidocaine spray, ketamine anesthesia, and LMA insertion could be used as airway management that could maintain spontaneous ..
- Use of buffered lidocaine in bone marrow biopsies: a randomized, controlled trialTracy A Ruegg
Ohio State University s Arthur G James Cancer Hospital and Richard J Solove Research Institute, Columbus, Ohio, USA
Oncol Nurs Forum 36:52-60. 2009..perceived pain during preprocedure anesthetic injection for bone marrow biopsy between buffered and unbuffered lidocaine, to determine whether pain levels change over time, and to investigate relationships between perceived pain ..
- Prevention of pain due to injection of propofol with IV administration of lidocaine 40 mg + metoclopramide 2.5, 5, or 10 mg or saline: a randomized, double-blind study in Japanese adult surgical patientsYoshitaka Fujii
First Department of Anesthesiology, Toho University School of Medicine, Tokyo, Japan
Clin Ther 29:856-61. 2007..MET also has local anesthetic properties similar to those of LID...
- Neurobiological mechanisms of nicotine reinforcement: Role of the nucleus tractusLUIS MIGUEL TUESTA; Fiscal Year: 2012..Preliminary data show that lidocaine-mediated NTS inactivation significantly reduces intravenous nicotine self-administration (IVSA) in rats...
- Peripheral and Central Mechanisms of Fatigue and Pain in Patients with ME/CFSRoland Staud; Fiscal Year: 2013..For this purpose we will use placebo controlled lidocaine injections into several muscle groups to reduce ERGO activity and thus ongoing fatigue and pain of ME/CFS ..
- Selective targeting of sodium channel blockers to pain-sensing neuronsBruce P Bean; Fiscal Year: 2012..blocking drugs can be targeted selectively to nociceptors by co-applying a permanently charged derivative of lidocaine (QX- 314) with capsaicin, an agonist for TRPV1 channels...
- Mechanisms of Spontaneous Neuropathic PainFrank Porreca; Fiscal Year: 2013..We have recently demonstrated that microinjection of lidocaine into an area of the brain that mediates descending modulation of pain (i.e...
- Volatile anesthetic effects on aging brainZhiyi Zuo; Fiscal Year: 2013..This detrimental effect on old rats was attenuated by intravenous lidocaine, a local anesthetic that has anti-inflammatory property...
- Intra-Oral drug-eluting adhesive filmHaesun Park; Fiscal Year: 2011..adhesive film which can cover and protect various mouth sores and deliver low doses of pain relieving lidocaine and anti-inflammatory doxycycline to the sore site...
- Actions of Local Anesthetics on NMDA ReceptorsMeaghan Paganelli; Fiscal Year: 2013..This project will evaluate the mechanism by which bupivacaine and lidocaine, two amide local anesthetics widely used in clinical practice inhibit NMDA receptor currents...
- Lidocaine Infusion as a Treatment for Cocaine Relapse and CravingBRYON H ADINOFF; Fiscal Year: 2013..b>Lidocaine is an FDA approved medication that inhibits activation of NMDA receptors and suppresses production of NO and ERK...
- Role of dmCPu in acquisition and expression of nicotine CS evoked CRSergios Charntikov; Fiscal Year: 2013..Rats will be bilaterally infused with either lidocaine or saline before testing for the nicotine-evoked CR...
- Lidocaine for Neuroprotection During Cardiac SurgeryJoseph P Mathew; Fiscal Year: 2013..Recently we administered lidocaine as an infusion during and after cardiac surgery and found preliminary data for a protective effect of lidocaine ..
- MECHANISMS OF OPIATE AND STIMULANT DRUG REINFORCEMENTAaron Ettenberg; Fiscal Year: 2010..cocaine with centrally applied selective antagonists of neurotransmitter function, and to assess the impact of lidocaine-induced reversible lesions of selective brain structures on the runway behavior of cocaine-reinforced animals...
- MASS SPECTROMETER SYSTEM AND ACCESSORIESALAN NIES; Fiscal Year: 1990..This proposal is to investigate the pharmacokinetics of model compounds, lidocaine and antipyrine, in burn patients...
- The neurobiology of cue-induced relapse to ethanol-seeking behavior in micePeter A Groblewski; Fiscal Year: 2010..relapse by manipulating the neuronal activity of these regions using site-specific microinjections of lidocaine. By combining molecular, neuropharmacological, and behavioral techniques, these proposed experiments are ..
- Bioequivalence of topical drug products: in vitro - in vivo correlationsAudra L Stinchcomb; Fiscal Year: 2013..A systematic examination of several key classes of topical drug products will be undertaken including, but not limited to lidocaine, triamcinolone acetonide, tretinoin, acyclovir and metronidazole.
- CHANGES IN BRAIN AMINES BY DENTAL LOCAL ANESTHETICSALFRED CIARLONE; Fiscal Year: 1980..A total of fourteen experiments are planned and consist of: 1) Dose-response curves with lidocaine challenge and manipulation of brain serotonin; 2) Dose-response curves with lidocaine challenge and manipulation ..
- DEVELOPMENT OF A NOVEL BIOARTIFICIAL LIVERJacek Rozga; Fiscal Year: 2002..In addition, the HyBAL will be challenged with exogenous ammonium chloride, galactose and lidocaine. In vivo, he ability of HyBAL to support pigs with FHF will be examined...
- Peripheral and Central Mechanism of Pain in Patients with FibromyalgiaROLAND M STAUD; Fiscal Year: 2010..In the second Specific Aim we will study the analgesic mechanisms of FM subjects related to injections of lidocaine or saline placebo into painful trapezius muscle (TrapM) tender points (analgesia)...
- Amygdalar Modulation of Fear-Conditioned Changes in REM SleepADRIAN MORRISON; Fiscal Year: 2009..training, we shall, in another group of rats, make temporary bilateral lesions of LA using a local anesthetic, lidocaine, immediately before training in the CFC protocol...
- DIRECT NEUROTOXICITY OF LOCAL ANESTHETICSMichael Johnson; Fiscal Year: 2002The objective of this proposal is to determine the mechanism of direct neurotoxicity of spinal (intrathecal) lidocaine. Other local anesthetics have a risk of persistent lumbosacral neurotoxicity of approximately 1 in 10,000...
- ELDER PAIN--ASSESSMENT OF INTENSITYKeela Herr; Fiscal Year: 1999..from Phase 2 immediately preceding a clinic appointment for joint pain and 30 minutes after joint injection with lidocaine and steroid. Analysis will involve techniques similar to that in Phase 2...
- Airway sensory nerves and dyspnea in human subjectsNausherwan Burki; Fiscal Year: 2004..effects of intravenous adenosine; 3) to examine whether directly blocking pulmonary C fibers with inhaled lidocaine abolishes the sensation of dyspnea induced by adenosine in these subjects/patients; 4) to investigate if ..
- Neural Mechanisms Underlying Individual Differences in 3,4-MethylenedioxymethamphKevin Ball; Fiscal Year: 2010..out the circuitry of relapse to MDMA- seeking behavior, we will combine this behavioral testing with temporary lidocaine inactivation of discrete sub-regions of medial prefrontal cortex, a brain region that appears to be a common ..
- Ontogeny of behavioral sensitization: associative and nonassociative processesSANDERS MCDOUGALL; Fiscal Year: 2012..Second, lidocaine will be microinjected into various brain regions of adult and young rats to determine whether neural mechanisms ..
- Role of astroglia in cocaine-induced neurotoxicityHelene Benveniste; Fiscal Year: 2009..increases in cortical [Ca++]i following intravenous administration of cocaine and the local anesthetic lidocaine but not with methylphenidate indicating that cocaine's local anesthetic properties but not its ..
- Supraspinal Modulation of Neuropathic PainBradley Taylor; Fiscal Year: 2007..hypothesis that disruption of synaptic activity in the LC with the microinjection of either a local anesthetic (lidocaine) or a synaptic inhibitor (cobalt) will decrease the tactile and cold hypersensitivity that develops following ..
- BIOBEHAVIORAL PREDICTORS OF POSTOP PAIN & IMMUNE STATUSJoel Katz; Fiscal Year: 1999..Patients undergoing abdominal hysterectomy will receive (1) pre-incisional epidural fentanyl and lidocaine followed by post-incisional epidural saline, (2) pre-incisional epidural saline followed by post-incisional ..
- Dental Anxiety, Pain & Melanocortin-1 Receptor MutationsEdwin Liem; Fiscal Year: 2005..and thermal stimuli on unrestored lateral incisor teeth, will be measured after intra-oral injection of various lidocaine concentrations. The concentrations, which will be used in a randomized and double-blinded sequence, will be 0, 0...
- CARDIAC NA+ CHANNEL GATING AND LOCAL ANESTHETIC BLOCKSTERLING WRIGHT; Fiscal Year: 2004..will be a critical step toward explaining why clinically important local anesthetics, such as bupivacaine and lidocaine, affect cardiac physiology at circulating concentrations that have little effect on skeletal muscle physiology...
- INTERACTION OF ISCHEMIA, DRUGS, AND RATE ON CONDUCTIONWayne Cascio; Fiscal Year: 1991..effect of simulated ischemia on rate-dependent conduction slowing induced by the Type 1 antiarrhythmic drugs (lidocaine, procainamide, flecainide) and Tetrodotoxin...
- MASS SPECTROMETRY ANALYSIS OF THE HUMAN CSF PROTEOMEDominic Desiderio; Fiscal Year: 2001..A differential spinal diagnosis with lidocaine readily differentiates among the three different low back pain patient populations-controls (pain; non-pain ..
- FUNCTIONAL ORGANIZATION OF THE FRONTAL EYE FIELDCharles Bruce; Fiscal Year: 2003..test any causal relation indicated by Aims 3 or 4 by deactivating the presumed effector site with muscimol or lidocaine and reanalyzing the functional properties of the neuron at the presumed target site...
- NEW DERMAL ANESTHETICSVINCENT CIOFALO; Fiscal Year: 1999..anesthetic market is dominated by one single preparation, called EMLA(R) (Astra) and consisting of a mixture of lidocaine base (2.5%) and prilocaine base (2.5%)...
- INTEGRATION OF INPUTS IN THE INFERIOR COLLICULUSKevin Davis; Fiscal Year: 1999..After isolating and characterizing units in the inferior colliculus, lidocaine will be applied to dorsal acoustic striae to reversibly block the input from the dorsal cochlear nucleus...
- DRUG EFFECTS ON ELECTRICALLY EXCITABLE MEMBRANESEDWARD GROOD; Fiscal Year: 1980..drugs have been chosen for study: (a) drugs that suppress repetitive electrical activity (yohimbine, phenytoin, lidocaine and its derivatives) and (b) drugs that induce repetitive electrical activity (aconitine, germine, veratrine)...
- PHARMACOLOGIC MODIFICATION OF AFFERENT INPUTMURRAY MATTHEWS; Fiscal Year: 1980....
- Spatial-temporal stimulus interactions in primate SI hand cortex neuronsJamie Reed; Fiscal Year: 2009..In Aim 2, we will administer local lidocaine injections to block input from one hand and characterize responses to stimulation on the opposite hand, in order ..
- TZD Treatment of Cocaine ToxicityGuy Weinberg; Fiscal Year: 2005..Clinically used local anesthetics, such as lidocaine, impair function of mitochondria, the intracellular organelles that synthesize adenosine triphosphate (ATP), the ..
- NEW DERMAL ANESTHETICSVINCENT CIOFALO; Fiscal Year: 2003..market is dominated by a single preparation, called EMLA (AstraZeneca), which consists of a eutectic mixture of lidocaine and prilocaine bases...
- MOLECULAR PHARMACOLOGY OF CARDIAC ION CHANNELSRonald Li; Fiscal Year: 2003..We have discovered major differences in lidocaine sensitivity between cardiac and skeletal muscle sodium channels, defined interactions between local anesthetic ..
- Neuropharmacology of Pain in Spinal Cord InjuryChristine Sang; Fiscal Year: 2005..We propose to evaluate various doses of the sodium channel antagonist lidocaine, when given in combination with varying doses of the NMDA receptor antagonist dextromethorphan, in patients with ..
- Transdermal GnRH Delivery System to Treat InfertilityKenneth Swartz; Fiscal Year: 2006..matrix electrolytes have been shown to be ideal for storage and delivery of molecules, such as lithium and lidocaine, that are delivered using iontophoresis, since the polymers trap the molecules and only release them when the ..
- Novel Topical Treatment for Postherpetic NeuralgiaCharles Gauntt; Fiscal Year: 2005..Topical treatments such as capsaicin cream, acetylsalicylic acid (aspirin), anesthetic creams, and lidocaine patches either require multiple daily applications or are limited in their use due to the potential for elevated ..
- NPY and Nerve Injury-Induced Tactile HypersensitivityFrank Porreca; Fiscal Year: 2007..e., for at least more than 200 days). Lesions of the dorsal columns (DC) or microinjection of lidocaine into the n...
- RVM CCK and Neuropathic PainJosephine Lai; Fiscal Year: 2007..descending facilitation arising from the rostral ventromedial medulla (RVM) is suggested by the finding that lidocaine injected into the RVM effectively blocks experimental neuropathic pain at post-inj ury day 6 (and later), but ..
- MEDICARE CAPITATION AND QUALITY OF CARE FOR ACUTE MIStephen Soumerai; Fiscal Year: 1999..to: 1) adherence to national guidelines for effective drugs for AMI; 2) non-adherence to national guidelines for lidocaine use (when contraindicated); 3) triage delay (time from symptom onset to hospital presentation); 4) and, among ..
- Access Paths for Sodium-Channel Blocking AntiarrhythmicsPeter Lee; Fiscal Year: 2005..include; 1) the effects of membrane depolarization, often seen in ischemia, on the drug-channel interaction of lidocaine and related compounds, 2) identification of other drug-paths to better characterize the drug-channel ..
- MOLECULAR INTERACTIONS BETWEEN LIDOCAINE AND NA CHANNELSNICHOLAS KAMBOURIS; Fiscal Year: 1999..These goals will serve as a platform upon which to develop a career as an independent investigator in ion-channel electrophysiology and pharmacology. ..
- NEURAL MECHANISMS OF SOCIAL RECOGNITION AND MEMORYRobert Johnston; Fiscal Year: 2009..2) Using micro-infusion of lidocaine, we will determine which brain regions are necessary for individual and sex recognition and appropriate ..
- CNS Stress Pathways and the Development of Acute HAAFDianne Lattemann; Fiscal Year: 2003..We will reversibly inactivate the THPVP and the DMH with lidocaine or the inhibitory GABA analog muscimol and measure neuroendocnne responses to hypoglycemia, with hypothesized ..
- MECHANISMS OF DEEP BRAIN STIMULATION.Jonathan Dostrovsky; Fiscal Year: 2003..Additionally, effects of high frequency and of lidocaine and muscimol microinjections into STN will be assessed on tremor, rigidity and bradykinesia...
- FUNCTIONAL STREAMS IN THE PRIMATE VISUAL CORTEXEhud Kaplan; Fiscal Year: 2000..populations such as the M-stream and b) silence selected neuronal populations by pressure injections of Mg++ or lidocaine into portions of the lateral geniculate nucleus, 2) compare optical signals recorded from CO blobs with those ..
- COCAINE: EFFECTS AND MODIFICATION OF EUPHORIA IN MANROBERT BYCK; Fiscal Year: 1980..Using cocaine, lidocaine, amphetamine, and placebo, we are comparing the differences in physiological and psychological effects attained ..
- FOREBRAIN OPIOID RECEPTORS AND HYPOALGESIAFRED HELMSTETTER; Fiscal Year: 1993..receptors within the amygdala and  assess the involvement of descending antinociceptive systems by using lidocaine to block neural activity at critical brainstem sites (periaqueductal gray, nucleus raphe magnus) following ..
- CELL ASSEMBLIES, PATTERN COMPLETION AND THE AGING BRAINCarol Barnes; Fiscal Year: 2003..record groups of cells in the right hippocampus before and after the rats' left hippocampus is injected with lidocaine via indwelling cannula...
- RVM CCK, Pain, and Opioid ToleranceTodd Vanderah; Fiscal Year: 2006..block morphine-induced pain and antinociceptive tolerance are rostral ventromedial medulla (RVM) injection of lidocaine and bilateral lesions of the dorsolateral funiculus (DLF) suggesting a tonically active descending pain ..
- Non-invasive self administration methodology for miceJay Hirsh; Fiscal Year: 2004..the self-administration paradigm: these controls include use of related but nonaddicting substances such as lidocaine and measurement of additional physiological correlates of cocaine exposure...
- MECHANISMS OF RAPID RECEPTIVE FIELD REORGANIZATIONHARRIS SCHWARK; Fiscal Year: 2001..In the somatosensory system, subcutaneous injection of lidocaine into a neuron's receptive field results in marked reorganization of the receptive field, such that within ..
- FUNCTIONAL IMAGING OF TINNITUS AND HEARING LOSSAlan Lockwood; Fiscal Year: 2002..who can modulate the loudness or pitch of their tinnitus with an oral-facial movement or eye movements? 4) Do lidocaine and residual inhibition reduce activity in regions of the brain activated by tinnitus? 5) What is the anatomical ..
- DRUG INTERACTIONS WITH MODIFIED CARDIAC ION CHANNELSJonathan Makielski; Fiscal Year: 1999..for the components of LA block using prototype charged (QX-222), uncharged (benzocaine), and mixed charge (lidocaine) LA (Aim 1)...
- Regulation of Stress-Induced Cortical Monoamine ActivityGina Forster; Fiscal Year: 2004..release recorded from the mPFC before and after transient blockade of pathways with the sodium channel blocker lidocaine. Subsequent experiments using a similar methodology will determine the involvement of the neurohormone ..
- GLUTAMATE AND COCAINE CONDITIONED LOCOMOTIONGregory Hotsenpiller; Fiscal Year: 2003..regions historically found to be relevant for conditioned drug responses will be examined through lesions and lidocaine inactivation...
- NEUROBIOLOGY OF MULTIPLE MEMORY SYSTEMSMark Packard; Fiscal Year: 2001..nervous system manipulations in rats, including neural inactivation (via injection of the local anesthetic lidocaine), and post-training intracerebral injections of glutamatergic agonist and antagonist drugs that are selective ..
- NEURAL ANALYSIS OF HABITUATION TO PSYCHOLOGICAL STRESSSerge Campeau; Fiscal Year: 2000..This area will be inactivated temporarily with intranuclear injections of lidocaine during habituation training, but will be active on the test day...
- CYP3A Function in Aging AfricanAmericansDavid Greenblatt; Fiscal Year: 2006..The study paradigm will assess: a. Hepatic blood flow (HBF), based on clearance of low-dose intravenous lidocaine; b Pharmacokinetics and pharrnacodynamics of intravenous and oral midazolam, a "pure" CYP3A substrate; c The ..
- Accelerated Discovery and Development of New Pain TherapeuticsLillian Chiang; Fiscal Year: 2007..Currently available drugs include opioids, anti-epileptics, topicals such as lidocaine, NMDA antagonists, and tricyclic antidepressants, none of which achieve clinical significance greater than 50%...