Genomes and Genes
Summary: A highly reactive aldehyde gas formed by oxidation or incomplete combustion of hydrocarbons. In solution, it has a wide range of uses: in the manufacture of resins and textiles, as a disinfectant, and as a laboratory fixative or preservative. Formaldehyde solution (formalin) is considered a hazardous compound, and its vapor toxic. (From Reynolds, Martindale The Extra Pharmacopoeia, 30th ed, p717)
Publications323 found, 100 shown here
- FAIRE (Formaldehyde-Assisted Isolation of Regulatory Elements) isolates active regulatory elements from human chromatinPaul G Giresi
Department of Biology and the Carolina Center for Genome Sciences, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, North Carolina 27599 3280, USA
Genome Res 17:877-85. 2007..demonstrate a simple procedure for the isolation of nucleosome-depleted DNA from human chromatin, termed FAIRE (Formaldehyde-Assisted Isolation of Regulatory Elements)...
- Nociceptive-specific activation of ERK in spinal neurons contributes to pain hypersensitivityR R Ji
Neural Plasticity Research Group, Department of Anesthesia and Critical Care, Massachusetts General Hospital and Harvard Medical School, 149 13th Street, Rm 4309, Charlestown, Massachusetts 02129, USA
Nat Neurosci 2:1114-9. 1999..ERK signaling within the spinal cord is therefore involved in generating pain hypersensitivity. Because of its rapid activation, this effect probably involves regulation of neuronal excitability without changes in transcription...
- TRPA1 mediates formalin-induced painColleen R McNamara
Hydra Biosciences, Inc, 790 Memorial Drive, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 104:13525-30. 2007....
- Using formaldehyde-assisted isolation of regulatory elements (FAIRE) to isolate active regulatory DNAJeremy M Simon
Lineberger Comprehensive Cancer Center, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, North Carolina, USA
Nat Protoc 7:256-67. 2012..FAIRE (formaldehyde-assisted isolation of regulatory elements) is an alternative approach to identify these genomic regions and has ..
- RNA expression analysis from formalin fixed paraffin embedded tissuesSusan M Farragher
Almac Diagnostics, Craigavon, 19 Seagoe Industrial Estate, Armagh BT635QD, UK
Histochem Cell Biol 130:435-45. 2008..This paper reviews the progress in this field and discusses the unique opportunities that exist for the application of these techniques in the development of personalized medicine...
- Isolation of active regulatory elements from eukaryotic chromatin using FAIRE (Formaldehyde Assisted Isolation of Regulatory Elements)Paul G Giresi
Department of Biology and Carolina Center for the Genome Sciences, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, CB 3280, 408 Fordham Hall, Chapel Hill, NC 27599 3280, USA
Methods 48:233-9. 2009..a simple procedure for the genome-wide isolation of nucleosome-depleted DNA from human chromatin, termed FAIRE (Formaldehyde Assisted Isolation of Regulatory Elements)...
- Whole-genome gene expression profiling of formalin-fixed, paraffin-embedded tissue samplesCraig April
Illumina, Inc, San Diego, California, United States of America
PLoS ONE 4:e8162. 2009..We have developed a gene expression assay (Whole-Genome DASL), capable of generating whole-genome gene expression profiles from degraded samples such as formalin-fixed, paraffin-embedded (FFPE) specimens...
- Histone demethylation mediated by the nuclear amine oxidase homolog LSD1Yujiang Shi
Department of Pathology, Harvard Medical School, 77 Avenue Louis Pasteur, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Cell 119:941-53. 2004..Lysine demethylation occurs via an oxidation reaction that generates formaldehyde. Importantly, RNAi inhibition of LSD1 causes an increase in H3 lysine 4 methylation and concomitant ..
- AlkB-mediated oxidative demethylation reverses DNA damage in Escherichia coliPål Ø Falnes
Centre for Molecular Biology and Neuroscience, and Institute of Medical Microbiology, University of Oslo, National Hospital, 0027 Oslo, Norway
Nature 419:178-82. 2002..This mechanism represents a new pathway for DNA repair and the third type of DNA damage reversal mechanism so far discovered...
- Formaldehyde-based whole-mount in situ hybridization method for planariansBret J Pearson
Department of Neurobiology and Anatomy, Howard Hughes Medical Institute, University of Utah School of Medicine, Salt Lake City, Utah, USA
Dev Dyn 238:443-50. 2009..Here, we describe a formaldehyde-based WISH method for the freshwater planarian Schmidtea mediterranea developed by systematically comparing and ..
- Targeted high throughput sequencing in clinical cancer settings: formaldehyde fixed-paraffin embedded (FFPE) tumor tissues, input amount and tumor heterogeneityMartin Kerick
Max Planck Institute for Molecular Genetics, Ihnestr, Berlin, Germany
BMC Med Genomics 4:68. 2011..However, these technologies need to be further improved with regard to reproducibility and applicability to clinical samples and settings...
- Generation of high-quality protein extracts from formalin-fixed, paraffin-embedded tissuesMaria Filippa Addis
Porto Conte Ricerche Srl, Tramariglio, Alghero, Sassari, Italy
Proteomics 9:3815-23. 2009..An evaluation of the extent of modifications introduced on proteins by formalin fixation and crosslink reversal, and their impact on quality of MS results, is also reported...
- Urine formaldehyde level is inversely correlated to mini mental state examination scores in senile dementiaZhiqian Tong
State Key Lab of Brain and Cognitive Sciences, Institute of Biophysics, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing, China
Neurobiol Aging 32:31-41. 2011It is widely known that exogenous formaldehyde exposure induces human cognitive impairment and animal memory loss; and recent studies show that formaldehyde at pathological levels induces Aβ deposition and misfolding of tau protein to ..
- Determinants of RNA quality from FFPE samplesSilke von Ahlfen
QIAGEN GmbH, Hilden, Germany
PLoS ONE 2:e1261. 2007..The results are particularly relevant for any application relying on cDNA synthesis as an initial step of the procedure, such as RT-PCR, and microarray analysis...
- Effect of inhaled formaldehyde on learning and memory of miceZ Lu
College of Life Science, Central China Normal University, Wuhan, China
Indoor Air 18:77-83. 2008In this study, we investigated the effect of inhaled formaldehyde on learning and memory capacity...
- Activation of p38 mitogen-activated protein kinase in spinal microglia is a critical link in inflammation-induced spinal pain processingCamilla I Svensson
Department of Anesthesiology, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, California, USA
J Neurochem 86:1534-44. 2003..Taken together, these results indicate that spinal p38 MAPK is involved in inflammation-induced pain and that activated spinal microglia play a direct role in spinal nociceptive processing...
- Is exposure to formaldehyde in air causally associated with leukemia?--A hypothesis-based weight-of-evidence analysisLorenz R Rhomberg
Gradient, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138, USA
Crit Rev Toxicol 41:555-621. 2011Recent scientific debate has focused on the potential for inhaled formaldehyde to cause lymphohematopoietic cancers, particularly leukemias, in humans...
- Reproductive and developmental toxicity of formaldehyde: a systematic reviewAnh Duong
School of Public Health, University of California, Berkeley, CA 94720, USA
Mutat Res 728:118-38. 2011b>Formaldehyde, the recently classified carcinogen and ubiquitous environmental contaminant, has long been suspected of causing adverse reproductive and developmental effects, but previous reviews were inconclusive, due in part, to ..
- Formaldehyde-inactivated whole-virus vaccine protects a murine model of enterovirus 71 encephalomyelitis against diseaseKien Chai Ong
Department of Pathology, University of Malaya, 50603 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
J Virol 84:661-5. 2010..b>Formaldehyde-inactivated whole-virus vaccines derived from EV71 clinical isolates and a mouse-adapted virus (MAV) were ..
- miRNA in situ hybridization in formaldehyde and EDC-fixed tissuesJohn T G Pena
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Laboratory of RNA Molecular Biology, The Rockefeller University, 1230 York Avenue, Box 186, New York, New York 10065, USA
Nat Methods 6:139-41. 2009..We showed that in situ hybridization (ISH) using conventional formaldehyde fixation results in substantial microRNA loss from mouse tissue sections, which can be prevented by fixation ..
- Gene expression profiles from formalin fixed paraffin embedded breast cancer tissue are largely comparable to fresh frozen matched tissueLorenza Mittempergher
Divisions of Experimental Therapy, Molecular Biology, Surgical Oncology, The Netherlands Cancer Institute, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
PLoS ONE 6:e17163. 2011..To this end we profiled, in duplicate, 20 FFPE tissues and 20 matched FF tissues and evaluated the concordance of the DASL results from FFPE and matched FF material...
- Limited copy number-high resolution melting (LCN-HRM) enables the detection and identification by sequencing of low level mutations in cancer biopsiesHongdo Do
Department of Pathology, University of Melbourne, Parkville, Victoria, 3010, Australia
Mol Cancer 8:82. 2009..The dilutions used (based on Ct values) are chosen such that mutations, if present, can be detected by the direct sequencing of amplicons with aberrant melting patterns...
- Domestic exposure to formaldehyde significantly increases the risk of asthma in young childrenK B Rumchev
Eur Respir J 20:403-8. 2002Concern has arisen in recent years about indoor air pollution as a risk factor for asthma. Formaldehyde exposure was examined in relation to asthma among young children (between 6 months and 3 yrs old) in a population-based control study ..
- Optimization of formaldehyde cross-linking for protein interaction analysis of non-tagged integrin beta1Cordula Klockenbusch
The Biomedical Research Centre, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC V6T1Z3, Canada
J Biomed Biotechnol 2010:927585. 2010b>Formaldehyde cross-linking of protein complexes combined with immunoprecipitation and mass spectrometry analysis is a promising technique for analysing protein-protein interactions, including those of transient nature...
- Identification of formaldehyde-induced modifications in proteins: reactions with model peptidesBernard Metz
Unit Research and Development, The Netherlands Vaccine Institute, 3720 AL Bilthoven, The Netherlands
J Biol Chem 279:6235-43. 2004b>Formaldehyde is a well known cross-linking agent that can inactivate, stabilize, or immobilize proteins. The purpose of this study was to map the chemical modifications occurring on each natural amino acid residue caused by formaldehyde...
- Epigenetic changes induced by air toxics: formaldehyde exposure alters miRNA expression profiles in human lung cellsJulia E Rager
Department of Environmental Sciences and Engineering, Gillings School of Global Public Health, University of North Carolina Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, North Carolina 27599, USA
Environ Health Perspect 119:494-500. 2011Exposure to formaldehyde, a known air toxic, is associated with cancer and lung disease. Despite the adverse health effects of formaldehyde, the mechanisms underlying formaldehyde-induced disease remain largely unknown...
- Systematic analysis of microRNA expression of RNA extracted from fresh frozen and formalin-fixed paraffin-embedded samplesYaguang Xi
Cancer Genomics Laboratory, Mitchell Cancer Institute, Mobile, Alabama 36688, USA
RNA 13:1668-74. 2007..There are no significant differences of representative miRNA expression among 40 colorectal cancer FFPE specimens. This study provides a foundation for miRNA investigation using FFPE samples in cancer and other types of diseases...
- Induction of endoplasmic reticulum stress and the modulation of thioredoxin-1 in formaldehyde-induced neurotoxicityFu Cheng Luo
Faculty of Environmental Science and Engineering, Kunming University of Science and Technology, Kunming 650500, China
Neurotoxicology 33:290-8. 2012b>Formaldehyde (FA), a common environmental pollutant, has toxic effects on central nervous system. The detailed mechanisms on FA-induced neurotoxicity have not been fully elucidated...
- Formaldehyde exposure and asthma in children: a systematic reviewGerald McGwin
Department of Epidemiology, School of Public Health, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, Alabama 35294, USA
Environ Health Perspect 118:313-7. 2010Despite multiple published studies regarding the association between formaldehyde exposure and childhood asthma, a consistent association has not been identified...
- Validation and reproducibility of a microarray-based gene expression test for tumor identification in formalin-fixed, paraffin-embedded specimensRaji Pillai
Pathwork Diagnostics, Inc, Redwood City, California 94063 4737, USA
J Mol Diagn 13:48-56. 2011..3% concordance between laboratories. The Tissue of Origin Test makes the benefits of microarray-based gene expression tests for tumor diagnosis available for use with the most common type of histology specimen (ie, FFPE)...
- Tumor tissue-derived formaldehyde and acidic microenvironment synergistically induce bone cancer painZhiqian Tong
Neuroscience Research Institute, Peking University, Beijing, China
PLoS ONE 5:e10234. 2010..Accumulated evidence shows that endogenous formaldehyde concentrations are elevated in the blood or urine of patients with breast, prostate or bladder cancer...
- DNA extraction from archival formalin-fixed, paraffin-embedded tissue sections based on the antigen retrieval principle: heating under the influence of pHShan Rong Shi
Department of Pathology, University of Southern California Keck School of Medicine, Los Angeles, California 90033, USA
J Histochem Cytochem 50:1005-11. 2002..These findings may lead to a more effective protocol for DNA extraction from archival paraffin-embedded tissues and may also provide enhanced understanding of changes that occur during formalin-induced modification of nucleic acids...
- A multiplex PCR predictor for aCGH success of FFPE samplesE H van Beers
Division of Experimental Therapy, Netherlands Cancer Institute NKI AvL, Plesmanlaan 121, 1066 CX Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Br J Cancer 94:333-7. 2006....
- Evidence for the involvement of spinal cord glia in subcutaneous formalin induced hyperalgesia in the ratL R Watkins
Department of Psychology, University of Colorado at Boulder, 80309, USA
Pain 71:225-35. 1997..Taken together, the present series of experiments suggest an important role for spinal glial cells in the cascade of events that are initiated by descending signals following s.c. administration of formalin...
- Quantitative protein analysis from formalin-fixed tissues: implications for translational clinical research and nanoscale molecular diagnosisK F Becker
Technische Universitat, Institut fur Pathologie, Munchen, Germany
J Pathol 211:370-8. 2007..This technique may also be used to identify, characterize, and validate known and new protein markers in a variety of human diseases...
- Genome-wide massively parallel sequencing of formaldehyde fixed-paraffin embedded (FFPE) tumor tissues for copy-number- and mutation-analysisMichal R Schweiger
Department of Vertebrate Genomics, Max Planck Institute for Molecular Genetics, Berlin, Germany
PLoS ONE 4:e5548. 2009..However, FFPE preparation is incompatible with many down-stream molecular biology techniques such as PCR based amplification methods and gene expression studies...
- Proteomic analysis of formalin-fixed prostate cancer tissueBrian L Hood
Laboratory of Proteomics and Analytical Technologies, SAIC Frederick, Inc, National Cancer Institute, Frederick, MD 21702, USA
Mol Cell Proteomics 4:1741-53. 2005....
- Tissue handling and specimen preparation in surgical pathology: issues concerning the recovery of nucleic acids from formalin-fixed, paraffin-embedded tissueStephen M Hewitt
Tissue Array Research Program, Laboratory of Pathology, Center for Cancer Research, National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892 4605, USA
Arch Pathol Lab Med 132:1929-35. 2008..High-quality nucleic acids can be obtained from formalin-fixed, paraffin-embedded tissue, but greater attention to all steps in the process of tissue handling and preparation is required...
- A temporal threshold for formaldehyde crosslinking and fixationLars Schmiedeberg
Wellcome Trust Centre for Cell Biology, University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh, United Kingdom
PLoS ONE 4:e4636. 2009b>Formaldehyde crosslinking is in widespread use as a biological fixative for microscopy and molecular biology...
- Real-time PCR analysis of DNA and RNA extracted from formalin-fixed and paraffin-embedded biopsiesU Lehmann
Institute of Pathology, Medizinische Hochschule Hannover, Carl Neuberg Strasse 1, D 30625 Hannover, Germany
Methods 25:409-18. 2001..We provide a number of protocols to assist in the application of these techniques...
- Mortality from lymphohematopoietic malignancies and brain cancer among embalmers exposed to formaldehydeMichael Hauptmann
Department of Bioinformatics and Statistics, Netherlands Cancer Institute, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
J Natl Cancer Inst 101:1696-708. 2009..found in surveys of anatomists, pathologists, and funeral industry workers, all of whom may have worked with formaldehyde. We investigated the relation of mortality to work practices and formaldehyde exposure levels among these ..
- Gene expression profiling of formalin-fixed, paraffin-embedded familial breast tumours using the whole genome-DASL assayNic Waddell
The Queensland Institute of Medical Research, Brisbane, Australia
J Pathol 221:452-61. 2010....
- Equivalence of protein inventories obtained from formalin-fixed paraffin-embedded and frozen tissue in multidimensional liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry shotgun proteomic analysisRobert W Sprung
Jim Ayers Institute for Precancer Detection and Diagnosis, Vanderbilt Ingram Cancer Center, Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, Nashville, Tennessee 37232 8575, USA
Mol Cell Proteomics 8:1988-98. 2009..No covalent peptide modifications attributable to formaldehyde chemistry were detected by analyses of the MS/MS datasets, which suggests that undetected, cross-linked ..
- Quantitative expression profiling in formalin-fixed paraffin-embedded samples by affymetrix microarraysDiana Abdueva
Department of Pathology, Children s Hospital Los Angeles, Research Institute and Keck School of Medicine, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, California, USA
J Mol Diagn 12:409-17. 2010..This study provides guidelines for application of these methods in the discovery, validation, and clinical application of microarray expression profiling with FFPE material...
- Optimization of RNA extraction from FFPE tissues for expression profiling in the DASL assayMark Abramovitz
VM Institute of Research, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Biotechniques 44:417-23. 2008....
- Direct cancer tissue proteomics: a method to identify candidate cancer biomarkers from formalin-fixed paraffin-embedded archival tissuesS I Hwang
Department of Cell Biology, Center for Vascular Biology, University of Connecticut School of Medicine, Farmington, CT 06030, USA
Oncogene 26:65-76. 2007..We propose that this general strategy provides a roadmap for successful identification of critical molecular targets of multiple cancer types...
- Multiple formaldehyde oxidation/detoxification pathways in Burkholderia fungorum LB400Christopher J Marx
Department of Microbiology, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington 98195 2180, USA
J Bacteriol 186:2173-8. 2004..The genome of B. fungorum LB400 is predicted to encode three different pathways for formaldehyde oxidation: an NAD-linked, glutathione (GSH)-independent formaldehyde dehydrogenase; an NAD-linked, GSH-..
- Disturbances of soluble N-ethylmaleimide-sensitive factor attachment proteins in hippocampal synaptosomes contribute to cognitive impairment after repetitive formaldehyde inhalation in male ratsY Liu
Neuroscience Research Institute and Department of Neurobiology, Key Laboratory for Neuroscience, Ministry of Education, Ministry of Public Health, Peking University Health Science Center, Beijing 100191, PR China
Neuroscience 169:1248-54. 2010..In the present study, we evaluated the effects of formaldehyde (FA) inhalation (13.5+/-1...
- Formaldehyde and chemosensory irritation in humans: a controlled human exposure studyIsabelle Lang
Institute and Out patient Clinic of Occupational and Social Medicine, University of Heidelberg, Vossstrasse 2, 69115 Heidelberg, Germany
Regul Toxicol Pharmacol 50:23-36. 2008..to examine the possible occurrence of sensory irritation and subjective symptoms in human volunteers exposed to formaldehyde concentrations relevant to the workplace...
- Pharmacological assessment of the rat formalin test utilizing the clinically used analgesic drugs gabapentin, lamotrigine, morphine, duloxetine, tramadol and ibuprofen: influence of low and high formalin concentrationsGordon Munro
Department of Pharmacology, Neurosearch A S, Ballerup, Denmark
Eur J Pharmacol 605:95-102. 2009....
- Metabolic mechanisms of methanol/formaldehyde in isolated rat hepatocytes: carbonyl-metabolizing enzymes versus oxidative stressStephanie L Macallister
Department of Pharmaceutical Science, Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Chem Biol Interact 191:308-14. 2011..Hepatocyte protein carbonylation induced by formaldehyde (HCHO) formation was also increased about 4-fold, when CH(3)OH was oxidized by the Fenton-like system, Fe(II)/H(..
- An in vitro approach to assess the toxicity of inhaled tobacco smoke components: nicotine, cadmium, formaldehyde and urethaneDominique Balharry
Cardiff School of Biosciences, Cardiff University, Museum Avenue, Cardiff, South Glamorgan, CF10 3US, UK
Toxicology 244:66-76. 2008..toxicants, the EpiAirway tissue model (ETM) was treated apically with tobacco smoke components (nicotine, formaldehyde, cadmium, urethane) which are known to induce a variety of toxic effects (e.g...
- Role of peripheral 5-HT(4), 5-HT(6), and 5-HT(7) receptors in development and maintenance of secondary mechanical allodynia and hyperalgesiaBeatriz Godínez-Chaparro
Departamento de Farmacobiologia, Centro de Investigación y de Estudios Avanzados Cinvestav, Sede Sur, Mexico DF, Mexico
Pain 152:687-97. 2011....
- Treatment of inflammatory and neuropathic pain by uncoupling Src from the NMDA receptor complexXue Jun Liu
Program in Neurosciences and Mental Health, The Hospital for Sick Children, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Nat Med 14:1325-32. 2008....
- The antidepressant phenelzine protects neurons and astrocytes against formaldehyde-induced toxicityMee Sook Song
Neurochemical Research Unit, Department of Psychiatry, University of Alberta, Edmonton, AB, Canada
J Neurochem 114:1405-13. 2010..Increased formaldehyde (FA) and up-regulation of semicarbazide-sensitive amine oxidase, which forms FA from methylamine, have been ..
- In organello formaldehyde crosslinking of proteins to mtDNA: identification of bifunctional proteinsB A Kaufman
Department of Molecular Biology, and Howard Hughes Medical Institute, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, 5323 Harry Hines Boulevard, Dallas, TX 75390 9148, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 97:7772-7. 2000..how nucleoid proteins contribute to mtDNA organization and inheritance, we have developed an in organello formaldehyde crosslinking procedure to identify proteins associated with mtDNA...
- Descending serotonergic facilitation of spinal ERK activation and pain behaviorCamilla I Svensson
Department of Anesthesiology, University of California San Diego, 9500 Gilman Drive, La Jolla, CA 92093 0818, USA
FEBS Lett 580:6629-34. 2006..These findings reveal that primary afferent-evoked activation of spinal ERK requires the input from an excitatory 5-HT descending pathway...
- Extreme loss of immunoreactive p-Akt and p-Erk1/2 during routine fixation of primary breast cancerIsabel F Pinhel
Department of Academic Biochemistry, Institute of Cancer Research, London, UK
Breast Cancer Res 12:R76. 2010..The aim of this study was to characterize the differences in immunoreactivity of common biomarkers that may occur (a) due to tissue handling at surgery and (b) between core-cuts and resected tumours...
- Influence of indoor factors in dwellings on the development of childhood asthmaJoachim Heinrich
Helmholtz Zentrum Munchen, National Research Center for Environmental Health, Institute of Epidemiology, Munich, Germany
Int J Hyg Environ Health 214:1-25. 2011..More research is also needed to clarify the potential risk for exposure to volatile and semi-volatile organic compounds due to renovation activities, phthalates and chlorine chemicals due to cleaning...
- Formaldehyde induces neurotoxicity to PC12 cells involving inhibition of paraoxonase-1 expression and activityXiao Qing Tang
Department of Physiology, Medical College, University of South China, Hengyang, Hunan, China
Clin Exp Pharmacol Physiol 38:208-14. 20111. Formaldehyde (FA) has been found to cause toxicity to neurons. However, its neurotoxic mechanisms have not yet been clarified...
- Role of altered rpoB alleles in Bacillus subtilis sporulation and spore resistance to heat, hydrogen peroxide, formaldehyde, and glutaraldehydeRalf Moeller
Institute of Aerospace Medicine, German Aerospace Center, Linder Hoehe, 51147 Cologne, Germany
Arch Microbiol 194:759-67. 2012..subtilis...
- Biological role of formaldehyde, and cycles related to methylation, demethylation, and formaldehyde productionHuba Kalasz
Department of Pharmacology and Pharmacotherapy, Semmelweis University, H 1089 Budapest, Nagyvarad ter 4, Hungary
Mini Rev Med Chem 3:175-92. 2003An overview is given on the analysis, formation, role and occurrence of formaldehyde in living organisms. Various methods have been used for the determination of formaldehyde in tissues and body fluids...
- Occupational exposures and cancer of the larynx-systematic review and meta-analysisSophie Paget-Bailly
INSERM, Center for Research in Epidemiology and Population Health, UMRS 1018, Occupational and Environmental Determinants of Health and Versailles Saint Quentin University, UMRS 1018, Villejuif, France
J Occup Environ Med 54:71-84. 2012..To review epidemiologic data on occupational exposures and laryngeal cancer...
- Occupational exposure to formaldehyde and alterations in lymphocyte subsetsH Dean Hosgood
Division of Cancer Epidemiology and Genetics, National Cancer Institute, Bethesda, Maryland 20892 7240, USA
Am J Ind Med 56:252-7. 2013b>Formaldehyde is used in many occupational settings, most notably in manufacturing, health care, and embalming. Formaldehyde has been classified as a human carcinogen, but its mechanism of action remains uncertain.
- Formaldehyde exposure and lower respiratory infections in infants: findings from the PARIS cohort studyCélina Roda
Universite Paris Descartes, Département Santé Publique et Biostatistiques EA 4064, Laboratoire Santé Publique et Environnement, Paris, France
Environ Health Perspect 119:1653-8. 2011..Although formaldehyde (FA) is one of the most common air pollutants found in indoor environments, its impact on infant health is ..
- Hydrogen sulfide prevents formaldehyde-induced neurotoxicity to PC12 cells by attenuation of mitochondrial dysfunction and pro-apoptotic potentialXiao Qing Tang
Key Laboratory for Arteriosclerology of Hunan Province, University of South China, Hengyang 421001, Hunan, PR China
Neurochem Int 61:16-24. 2012..Numerous studies have demonstrated that exposure to formaldehyde (FA) causes neuronal damage and that oxidative stress is one of the most critical effects of FA exposure...
- Identifying an indoor air exposure limit for formaldehyde considering both irritation and cancer hazardsRobert Golden
ToxLogic LLC, Potomac, Maryland 20854, USA
Crit Rev Toxicol 41:672-721. 2011b>Formaldehyde is a well-studied chemical and effects from inhalation exposures have been extensively characterized in numerous controlled studies with human volunteers, including asthmatics and other sensitive individuals, which provide a ..
- Occupational exposure to formaldehyde: genotoxic risk evaluation by comet assay and micronucleus test using human peripheral lymphocytesSolange Costa
National Institute of Health, Environmental Health Department, Porto, Portugal
J Toxicol Environ Health A 74:1040-51. 2011b>Formaldehyde (FA) is a world high-production compound with numerous applications ranging from production of resins to medicines...
- Interaction between histamine and morphine at the level of the hippocampus in the formalin-induced orofacial pain in ratsEsmaeal Tamaddonfard
Division of Physiology, Department of Basic Sciences, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Urmia University, Urmia 57153 1177, Iran
Pharmacol Rep 63:423-32. 2011..In addition, both histamine H(1) and H(2) receptors, as well as opioid receptors may be involved in the interaction between histamine and morphine in producing analgesia...
- Primary central nervous system lymphomas: a validation study of array-based comparative genomic hybridization in formalin-fixed paraffin-embedded tumor specimensEsteban Braggio
Department of Biochemistry, Mayo Clinic, Scottsdale, Arizona, USA
Clin Cancer Res 17:4245-53. 2011....
- Incomplete follow-up in the National Cancer Institute's formaldehyde worker study and the impact on subsequent reanalyses and causal evaluationsGary M Marsh
Center for Occupational Biostatistics and Epidemiology and Department of Biostatistics, Graduate School of Public Health, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA 15261, USA
Regul Toxicol Pharmacol 58:233-6. 2010..performed reanalyses of the National Cancer Institute cohort study on nasopharyngeal cancer (NPC) risk among formaldehyde exposed workers (Hauptmann et al., 2004). Both reanalyses (Marsh and Youk, 2005; Marsh et al...
- Use of LC-MS/MS and stable isotopes to differentiate hydroxymethyl and methyl DNA adducts from formaldehyde and nitrosodimethylamineKun Lu
Department of Environmental Sciences and Engineering, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, North Carolina 27599, USA
Chem Res Toxicol 25:664-75. 2012b>Formaldehyde is a known human and animal carcinogen that forms DNA adducts, and causes mutations. While there is widespread exposure to formaldehyde in the environment, formaldehyde is also an essential biochemical in all living cells...
- Random DNA fragmentation allows detection of single-copy, single-exon alterations of copy number by oligonucleotide array CGH in clinical FFPE samplesGalen Hostetter
Translational Genomics Research Institute, 445 N 5th Street, Phoenix, AZ 85004, USA
Nucleic Acids Res 38:e9. 2010..3. Finally we present data on derivative of log ratio, a particular sensitive detector of measurement variance, for 216 sequential hybridizations to assess protocol reliability over a wide range of FFPE samples...
- Formaldehyde and tobacco smoke as alkylating agents: the formation of N-methylenvaline in pathologists and in plastic laminate workersRoberto Bono
Department of Public Health and Microbiology, University of Torino, Torino, Italy
Sci Total Environ 414:701-7. 2012Aim of this study was to investigate the relationships between the concentration of formaldehyde in air and the alkylation of hemoglobin to form a terminal N-methylenvaline residue in three occupationally exposed groups: a) technicians of ..
- Proteomic analysis of formalin-fixed paraffin-embedded tissue by MALDI imaging mass spectrometryRita Casadonte
Mass Spectrometry Research Center, Department of Biochemistry, Vanderbilt University, Nashville, Tennessee, USA
Nat Protoc 6:1695-709. 2011..For example, TMA analysis of 300 FFPE cores would typically require 6 h of total time through data acquisition, not including data analysis...
- Mortality from lymphohematopoietic malignancies among workers in formaldehyde industries: the National Cancer Institute CohortLaura E Beane Freeman
Occupational and Environmental Epidemiology Branch, Division of Cancer Epidemiology and Genetics, National Cancer Institute, NIH, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
J Natl Cancer Inst 101:751-61. 2009b>Formaldehyde exposure is associated with leukemia in some epidemiological studies...
- Multicentre validation study of nucleic acids extraction from FFPE tissuesSerena Bonin
ACADEM Department University of Trieste and ICGEB, University of Trieste, Cattinara Hospital, 34149 Trieste, Italy
Virchows Arch 457:309-17. 2010..The results of the study emphasize the need for quality control of the nucleic acid extracts with standardised methods to prevent false negative results and to allow data comparison among different diagnostic laboratories...
- Producing reverse phase protein microarrays from formalin-fixed tissuesClaudia Wolff
Institut fur Pathologie, Technische Universitat Munchen, Munich, Germany
Methods Mol Biol 785:123-40. 2011..In this chapter, we describe a protein extraction protocol established in our laboratory combined with the use of reverse phase protein microarray...
- Proteome, phosphoproteome, and N-glycoproteome are quantitatively preserved in formalin-fixed paraffin-embedded tissue and analyzable by high-resolution mass spectrometryPaweł Ostasiewicz
Department for Proteomics and Signal Transduction at Max Planck Institute for Biochemistry, 82152 Martinsried, Germany
J Proteome Res 9:3688-700. 2010..Thus, FFPE biobank material can be analyzed by quantitative proteomics at the level of proteins and post-translational modifications...
- Combined analysis of chromosomal aberrations and glutathione S-transferase M1 and T1 polymorphisms in pathologists occupationally exposed to formaldehydeAlfredo Santovito
Department of Animal and Human Biology, University of Torino, Via Accademia Albertina n 13, 10123, Turin, Italy
Arch Toxicol 85:1295-302. 2011The formaldehyde (FA) genotoxic potential in occupationally exposed individuals is conflicting...
- Genotoxicity biomarkers in occupational exposure to formaldehyde--the case of histopathology laboratoriesCarina Ladeira
Escola Superior de Tecnologia da Saúde de Lisboa, Instituto Politécnico de Lisboa, Portugal
Mutat Res 721:15-20. 2011b>Formaldehyde, classified by the IARC as carcinogenic in humans and experimental animals, is a chemical agent that is widely used in histopathology laboratories...
- Histology without formalin?René J Buesa
Ann Diagn Pathol 12:387-96. 2008..With a fast penetration, formaldehyde is a slow and reversible fixative that requires 24 to 48 hours to completely bind to tissue; thus, any surgical ..
- Evaluation and validation of total RNA extraction methods for microRNA expression analyses in formalin-fixed, paraffin-embedded tissuesMartina Doleshal
Asuragen, Inc, Austin, TX 78744, USA
J Mol Diagn 10:203-11. 2008....
- Genome-wide comparison of paired fresh frozen and formalin-fixed paraffin-embedded gliomas by custom BAC and oligonucleotide array comparative genomic hybridization: facilitating analysis of archival gliomasGayatry Mohapatra
Department of Pathology, Massachusetts General Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA
Acta Neuropathol 121:529-43. 2011..In combination, these advances should facilitate genome-wide analysis of rare, small and/or histologically heterogeneous gliomas from FFPE tissues...
- Treatment of maternal blood samples with formaldehyde does not alter the proportion of circulatory fetal nucleic acids (DNA and mRNA) in maternal plasmaSatheesh Kumar Reddy Chinnapapagari
Department of Research, University Women s Hospital, Basel, Switzerland
Clin Chem 51:652-5. 2005
- Lack of dramatic enrichment of fetal DNA in maternal plasma by formaldehyde treatmentGrace T Y Chung
Department of Chemical Pathology, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Prince of Wales Hospital, Shatin, New Territories, Hong Kong, China
Clin Chem 51:655-8. 2005
- Enhanced formaldehyde detoxification by overexpression of glutathione-dependent formaldehyde dehydrogenase from ArabidopsisHakima Achkor
Departamento de Bioquimica y Biologia Molecular, Facultad de Ciencias, Universidad Autonoma de Barcelona, 08193 Bellaterra, Barcelona, Spain
Plant Physiol 132:2248-55. 2003The ADH2 gene codes for the Arabidopsis glutathione-dependent formaldehyde dehydrogenase (FALDH), an enzyme involved in formaldehyde metabolism in eukaryotes...
- The generation of formaldehyde in cigarettes--Overview and recent experimentsRichard R Baker
Group Research and Development, British American Tobacco, Regent s Park Road, Southampton SO15 8TL, UK
Food Chem Toxicol 44:1799-822. 2006..One exception to this generalisation is formaldehyde, which is generated from saccharides used as tobacco ingredients...
- Clinical proteomic applications of formalin-fixed paraffin-embedded tissuesJosip Blonder
Laboratory of Proteomics and Analytical Technologies, SAIC Frederick, National Cancer Institute at Frederick, 1050 Boyles Street, Frederick, MD 21702, USA
Clin Lab Med 29:101-13. 2009..The almost inexhaustible supply of these tissues will enable proteomic laboratories access to clinically important specimens that will undoubtedly lead to a number of important discoveries in the near future...
- Whole genome SNP arrays using DNA derived from formalin-fixed, paraffin-embedded ovarian tumor tissueElla R Thompson
VBCRC Cancer Genetics Laboratory, Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre, East Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Hum Mutat 26:384-9. 2005..This advance will open up vast archival tissue resources to high-resolution genetic analysis and unlock a wealth of biological information...
- Quality assessment of DNA derived from up to 30 years old formalin fixed paraffin embedded (FFPE) tissue for PCR-based methylation analysis using SMART-MSP and MS-HRMLasse S Kristensen
Institute of Human Genetics, University of Aarhus, The Bartholin Building, Aarhus C, Denmark
BMC Cancer 9:453. 2009..Sensitive Melting Analysis after Real Time - Methylation Specific PCR (SMART-MSP) and Methylation Sensitive - High Resolution Melting (MS-HRM) are two methods for single locus DNA methylation detection based on HRM...
- Formaldehyde: integrating dosimetry, cytotoxicity, and genomics to understand dose-dependent transitions for an endogenous compoundMelvin E Andersen
Program in Chemical Safety Sciences, The Hamner Institutes for Health Sciences, Research Triangle Park, North Carolina 27709, USA
Toxicol Sci 118:716-31. 2010b>Formaldehyde (FA), an endogenous cellular aldehyde, is a rat nasal carcinogen...
- Quantitation of p95HER2 in paraffin sections by using a p95-specific antibody and correlation with outcome in a cohort of trastuzumab-treated breast cancer patientsJeff Sperinde
diaDexus, South San Francisco, CA, USA
Clin Cancer Res 16:4226-35. 2010..We sought to show that quantitative p95HER2 levels would correlate with outcome in trastuzumab-treated HER2-positive metastatic breast cancer...
- The function neutralizing anti-TrkA antibody MNAC13 reduces inflammatory and neuropathic painGabriele Ugolini
Lay Line Genomics, Via di Castel Romano 100, 00128 Rome, Italy
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 104:2985-90. 2007..This study represents a direct demonstration that neutralizing antibodies directed against the TrkA receptor may display potent analgesic effects in inflammatory and chronic pain...
- Epidemiological studies of formaldehyde exposure and risk of leukemia and nasopharyngeal cancer: a meta-analysisAnnette M Bachand
Department of Environmental and Radiological Health Sciences, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, Colorado, USA
Crit Rev Toxicol 40:85-100. 2010The authors conducted meta-analyses of the epidemiological literature on formaldehyde exposure and risk of leukemia and risk of nasopharyngeal cancer...
- Differential contributions of the basolateral and central nuclei of the amygdala in the negative affective component of chemical somatic and visceral pains in ratsSachi Tanimoto
Department of Molecular Pharmacology, Graduate School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Kyoto University, Kyoto 606 8501, Japan
Eur J Neurosci 18:2343-50. 2003..Taken together, these results suggest that activation of distinct amygdaloid nuclei could differentially contribute to chemical somatic and visceral noxious stimuli-induced negative affective, but not sensory components of pains...
- Molecular dosimetry of N2-hydroxymethyl-dG DNA adducts in rats exposed to formaldehydeKun Lu
Department of Environmental Sciences and Engineering, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, North Carolina 27599, United States
Chem Res Toxicol 24:159-61. 2011..7, 2, 5.8, 9.1, or 15.2 ppm [(13)CD(2)] formaldehyde for 6 h were quantified by a highly sensitive nano-UPLC-MS/MS method...
- An ion channel essential for sensing chemical damageLindsey J Macpherson
Department of Cell Biology, The Scripps Research Institute, La Jolla, California 92037, USA
J Neurosci 27:11412-5. 2007Tissue damage and its downstream consequences are experimentally assayed by formaldehyde application, which indiscriminately modifies proteins and is presumed to cause pain through broadly acting mechanisms...
- DNA extraction from archival formalin-fixed, paraffin-embedded tissues: heat-induced retrieval in alkaline solutionShan Rong Shi
Department of Pathology, University of Southern California Keck School of Medicine HMR 204, 2011 Zonal Avenue, Los Angeles 90033, USA
Histochem Cell Biol 122:211-8. 2004..1 M alkaline solution is a simpler and more effective heat-induced retrieval protocol for DNA extraction. Combination with some chemicals (detergents) may further significantly improve efficiency of the heat-induced retrieval technique...
- Comparison of miRNA expression patterns using total RNA extracted from matched samples of formalin-fixed paraffin-embedded (FFPE) cells and snap frozen cellsJinghuan Li
Department of Histopathology, University of Dublin, Trinity College, Dublin, Ireland
BMC Biotechnol 7:36. 2007..This study analyzed 160 miRNAs in paired snap frozen and FFPE cells to investigate if miRNAs may be successfully detected in archival specimens...
- An array-based analysis of microRNA expression comparing matched frozen and formalin-fixed paraffin-embedded human tissue samplesXiao Zhang
Department of Pathology and Molecular Medicine, Queen s Laboratory for Molecular Pathology, Kingston, ON, Canada
J Mol Diagn 10:513-9. 2008..669 to 0.815; Spearman rank correlation coefficient, 0.847 to 0.948), supporting the use of FFPE-derived miRNAs for array-based, gene expression profiling...
- Aberrant DNA Methylation of MicroRNA Genes in Hepatocellular Carcinoma (HCC)Jing Shen; Fiscal Year: 2012..PHS 398/2590 (Rev. 06/09) Page Continuation Format Page ..
- microRNAs as novel biomarkers for management of breast cancerLORENZO SEMPERE; Fiscal Year: 2012..Our results should provide a solid foundation to develop miRNA-based clinical assays to assist physicians in making crucial decisions with regards to treatment of patients. ..
- Sleep in Rats: From Conceptualization to Measurement, Analysis and InterpretationGayle Giboney Page; Fiscal Year: 2010..The relevance of this proposed award to human health is to discern the contributions and consequences of disrupted sleep as it relates to the development of persistent pain. ..
- Validation and Quantification of FFPE Antigen Retrieval by Proteome AnalysisXUPEING FANG; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Role of TRP Channels in Environmental Irritant-Induced HeadacheGerry S Oxford; Fiscal Year: 2013..most common symptom associated with indoor and outdoor air pollution but how environmental irritants, such as formaldehyde and acrolein, cause headache is not known...
- Carboxylesterase-activated Doxazolidine-prodrug for Hepatocellular CarcinomaTad H Koch; Fiscal Year: 2012..The therapy is based upon doxazolidine, a formaldehyde conjugate of doxorubicin that is more than an order of magnitude more active against a variety of both ..
- Biological &Environmental Mediators of Vitamin D and Aggressive Prostate CancerADAM BRYANT MURPHY; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- Scleroderma Subtyping from Fresh and Archived Biopsies using NextGen SequencingMichael W Fanger; Fiscal Year: 2011..The goal of this project is to simplify the currently complex sample preparation protocol while improving the robustness and decreasing the cost of the genetic analyses. ..
- Placental Treg Activation and Pregnancy Outcome in the FIV-infected Cat ModelGREGORY TODD PHARR; Fiscal Year: 2010..The purpose of this project is to evaluate the effect of HIV infection on the function of regulatory T cells, using the feline immunodeficiency virus (FIV)-infected cat to model maternal-fetal infection and compromised pregnancy. ..
- A Mucosal RSV VaccineKejian Yang; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- Environmental and genetic regulation of copy number variation (CNV)THOMAS PETES; Fiscal Year: 2010..will use a cassette that contains two yeast genes SFA1 and CUP1 that confer gene dosage-dependent tolerance to formaldehyde and copper, respectively...
- Chromatin Immunoprecipitation (ChIP) Assay Development for FFPE human brain sectiMary Anne Jelinek; Fiscal Year: 2011..Phase I proposal , we intend to develop a Clinical Chromatin ImmunoPrecipitation assay (C- ChIP), for use with formaldehyde-fixed paraffin embedded (FFPE) human brain specimens, which will enable analysis of changes in histone post-..
- Gene Expression Patterns in Human Tumors Identified Using Transcript SequencingCharles M Perou; Fiscal Year: 2013..We will use FAIRE (Formaldehyde-Assisted isolation of Regulatory Elements), a simple, low-cost method amenable to use on small quantities of ..
- Investigating the role of Bacillithiol in metal ion homeostasis and the reactivePete Chandrangsu; Fiscal Year: 2013..In Aim 1, the role of BSH in the response to the reactive electrophiles, methylglyoxal (MG) and formaldehyde (FA) will be examined. MG and FA are endogenously produced products of metabolism...
- Implementation of phosphoprotein preservation technology for cancer biospecimensLANCE ALLEN LIOTTA; Fiscal Year: 2013..This would increase diagnostic accuracy while substantially reducing costs. ..
- miRNA HD Array PlatformBruce E Seligmann; Fiscal Year: 2010..In Phase II, this platform will be applied to identify host cell miRNA signatures useful for screening for infection by Category A, B and C pathogens, and useful as targets for drug discovery. ..
- Nanopore Biosensor for Kinetics of Reparative Antibodies on Plasma MembranesSang Hyun Oh; Fiscal Year: 2013..Fixation of any kind (methanol, formaldehyde, freezing) destroys the complex membrane antigen...
- Acquisition of laser capture microdissection microscopeMarc H Symons; Fiscal Year: 2010..A financial plan is in place to recover maintenance costs. Utilization of the LCM system by NIH-funded investigators will be prioritized and efforts will be made to introduce LCM technology and its application to new investigators. ..
- Identifying disease-related functional regulatory variants in open chromatinKaren L Mohlke; Fiscal Year: 2010..Successful genome-wide experimental approaches to identify open chromatin include DNase hypersensitivity (DHS), formaldehyde-assisted identification of regulatory elements (FAIRE), markers of histone modification, and chromatin ..
- Improving Antibodies to Virion Based HIV VaccinesKathie Grovit-Ferbas; Fiscal Year: 2013..To this end, we have used Env modified formaldehyde and heat treated virions and pseudovirions as tools to study correlates of Ab mediated protection...
- Accelerating Cancer Research with Single Cell ArraysHeinz Ulrich Weier; Fiscal Year: 2009..This will open new avenues for the analysis of small samples like those obtained by fine needle biopsies as well as the analysis of circulating or exfoliated tumor cells. ..
- Epigenetic regulation of vascular smooth muscle cell phenotypeChristopher P Mack; Fiscal Year: 2013..with Jason Lieb and Terry Furrey to "map" open chromatin regions in SMC using DNase hypersensitivity and Formaldehyde-Assisted Isolation of Regulatory Elements (FAIRE)...
- Adenovirus-vectored RSV vaccine not inhibited by maternal immunityJASON GRAHAM GALL; Fiscal Year: 2013..In phase I we will test the hypothesis that RSV-specific immune responses induced by a novel replication-deficient adenovirus vector derived from non-human adenovirus will not be inhibited by human viral immunity. ..
- A high-resolution in situ proteomics atlas of salivary gland developmentMelinda Larsen; Fiscal Year: 2010..These studies will provide insight into the fundamental signaling events occurring during the process of salivary gland development and differentiation. ..
- Automated Macrodissection DeviceNils B Adey; Fiscal Year: 2012..The new device will promote productivity and quality of results for clinicians working in cancer diagnostics, as well as diverse areas of cancer and non-cancer research requiring high throughput tissue dissection from slides. ..
- Synthetic nanoparticle vaccines for RSVTHOMAS J POWELL; Fiscal Year: 2012..The application of this innovative approach to RSV vaccine development will also impact vaccine development for other infectious diseases. ..
- miRNA Biomarkers from FFPE Tissue for Early Breast Cancer DetectionSidney W Fu; Fiscal Year: 2013..The success of this project would have a broad impact in research of other diseases, health disparities and policy making due to the world-wide availability of FFPE samples with rich clinical data. ..
- Adenosine Receptors and Ethanol WithdrawalTRACY RENEE BUTLER; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- New biomonitoring methodologies to measure DNA adducts in human tissuesRobert J Turesky; Fiscal Year: 2013..These novel screening techniques will be employed to measure AA-DNA adducts in human populations exposed to AA and diagnosed with upper urothelial cancer. ..
- A NOVEL METHOD TO TREAT CHRONIC PAINSATHYANARAYANA N MURTHY; Fiscal Year: 2013..abstract_text> ..
- DNA-Methylation Profiling from Fixed Melanocytic TissuesNANCY E contact THOMAS; Fiscal Year: 2010..This study will be a first step toward the development of diagnostic methylation assays that could be used to standardize melanoma diagnosis, thereby decreasing under- and over-treatment of melanocytic lesions. ..
- Estrogen regulation of inflammatory mediator signalingWilliam P Clarke; Fiscal Year: 2011..This work will provide a basis for understanding the enhanced sensitivity of women to pain and provide new targets for improved pain pharmacotherapy. ..
- The Role of TLR4 and RSV F Protein in Immunity to RSVJORGE C BLANCO; Fiscal Year: 2013..It is expected that at the completion of this grant, we will have identified strategies that may lead to development of a RSV vaccine and new therapeutics for mitigating the pathologic host response to RSV. ..
- Determinants of Efficacy to the Akt Inhibitor Perifosine in Colorectal CancerCathy Eng; Fiscal Year: 2012..Endpoint: Pharma- codynamic biomarker changes will correlate with efficacy of perifosine therapy. ..
- CaMKII as a Mechanism &Intervention Target for Sickle Cell PainZaijie Jim Wang; Fiscal Year: 2013..The significance of this proposal is that it may ultimately lead to pharmacological interventions that target the CaMKII-pathway. (End of Abstract) ..
- High-Throughput DNA-Methylation Profiling from Fixed Melanocytic TissuesNancy E Thomas; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- Biomarkers of response to Hsp90 inhibitors in triple-negative breast cancerGabriela Chiosis; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- Molecular signatures of melanoma histology and progression: A Population Based AAbrar A Qureshi; Fiscal Year: 2013..Evaluate genome-wide (6,000 genes) association with BRAF/NRAS/MC1R status and melanoma recurrence and mortality due to melanoma ..
- Novel Biomarkers for Aromatase Inhibitor TherapyMatthew J Ellis; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- Development of a CES 2-Activated Doxazolidine Prodrug for Pancreatic CancerTad H Koch; Fiscal Year: 2010..The therapy is based upon doxazolidine, a formaldehyde conjugate of doxorubicin that is more than an order of magnitude more active against a variety of both ..
- Experimental evolution recapitulating adaptation after horizontal gene transferJOSHUA KIERAN MICHENER; Fiscal Year: 2013..DCM will suggest possible phenotypical determinants of DCM growth, such as tolerance to by-products including formaldehyde and hydrochloric acid...
- Quantitative molecular profiling of tumor biomarkers with multi-color monovalentHongyan Liu; Fiscal Year: 2012..Our research will be relevant to the mission of the NIH and be broadly interesting to researchers studying the pathology of variety diseases. ..
- Molecular profiling of HIV-associated lymphoma in the US and MalawiSatish Gopal; Fiscal Year: 2013..The molecular insights gained will substantially illuminate lymphoma biology in the context of HIV, and result in improved treatments for this challenging and vulnerable population in both resource-rich and resource-limited settings. ..
- Comprehensive Molecular Diagnosis for Food and Waterborne EnteropathogensEric R Houpt; Fiscal Year: 2011....
- Methods and Instrumentation for Hydrostatic Pressure-Enhanced Tissue FixationAlexander V Lazarev; Fiscal Year: 2011..High pressure has been shown to enhance rapid and uniform formaldehyde penetration into tissue blocks...
- Detection of Light Chain Restriction in non-Hodgkin Lymphoma by a Novel RNA In SiXiao Jun Ma; Fiscal Year: 2012..Detection of restricted immunoglobulin light chain expression is a molecular ancillary tool to resolve ambiguous lymphoproliferative disorders. The proposed product based on RNAscope will provide superior sensitivity to current methods. ..
- Prognostic Models in Diffuse Large B-Cell LymphomaIzidore S Lossos; Fiscal Year: 2010..Further, establishment of a paraffin-based RNA prognostic model using the new methodology of RNA extraction could serve as a paradigm for other lymphomas and tumors. ..
- Single-molecule nanomagnetic assays for ultrasmall sample clinical diagnosticsDmitri Litvinov; Fiscal Year: 2010..This research is expected to enable a new generation of highly reliable molecular diagnostic instrumentation with significantly enhanced sensitivity and high specificity. ..
- Neonatal Pain, Depression and Pain Susceptibility at Maturity in RatsGayle Giboney Page; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- Mechanisms of stromal fibroblast activation in esophageal tumorsTODD JOSEPH WALDRON; Fiscal Year: 2012..In aggregate, fulfillment of the aims described above will provide insight into mechanisms of activation of CAFs by MDSCs, and determine whether MDSCs are required for intiation and progression of esophageal cancer. ..
- Rift Valley Fever Vaccine Development of Animal Models and Optimize ProductionClarence J Peters; Fiscal Year: 2010..No clinical trials are in this proposal. ..
- Low-Cost Catalytic Biomass Cookstove for Improved Indoor Air QualityPAUL YELVINGTON; Fiscal Year: 2013..Emissions of CO, unburned hydrocarbons (including air toxics like formaldehyde) and particulate matter (PM) are particularly problematic...
- True Direct Single Molecule RNA SequencingPATRICE MARIE MILOS; Fiscal Year: 2012..We will improve tDRS by: 1) screening and synthesis of modified nucleotides for superior performance, and 2) screening and mutagenesis of polymerases for optimal behavior. ..
- Formaldehyde and Other Pollutants from Ozone Reactions on Ventilation SystemsHugo Destaillats; Fiscal Year: 2010..purpose of this project is to improve understanding of the formation of harmful gas- phase pollutants, such as formaldehyde, and aerosol particles in the indoor work environment...
- A Highly Multiplexed PCR Platform for Gene Expression Profiling from FFPE TissueJORK N NOLLING; Fiscal Year: 2012....
- STRUCTURE AND REPLICATION OF HEPATITIS DELTA VIRUSJohn Taylor; Fiscal Year: 2009..between HDV RNAs and proteins with host components: Cells undergoing HDV replication will be fixed with formaldehyde as an approach to detect interactions of delta protein with HDV and host RNAs...
- Therapeutic Opportunities for Pediatric AstrocytomaRosalind A Segal; Fiscal Year: 2013..with BRAF? An innovative feature of this project is recently developed methods for genetic profiling of formaldehyde-fixed, paraffin-embedded samples...
- Epigenetic Actions of Growth HormoneDennis J Chia; Fiscal Year: 2012..Standard molecular biology techniques, including chromatin immunoprecipitation (ChIP) assay and the derivative formaldehyde-assisted isolation of regulatory elements (FAIRE), will be employed on samples prepared from the livers of mice ..
- Molecular Diagnosis and Prognosis in Aggressive LymphomaLisa Rimsza; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- Translation of Predictive Cancer Biomarkers into Clinical PracticeTIMOTHY J contact TRICHE; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Efficacy of BCG Therapy is a Function of Bladder Tumor Immune MicroenvironmentJAMES JOSEPH LEE; Fiscal Year: 2013..Our expectation is that the definition of Th2 immune responses in bladder tumors may also lead to previously untested/novel therapeutic modalities. ..
- CYP2D6 gene variants and effectiveness of adjuvant tamoxifen in breast cancerSheila A Weinmann; Fiscal Year: 2013..Our ultimate goal is to learn more about the genetic factors underlying breast cancer treatment response in order to make breast cancer treatment more targeted and more effective. ..
- PLASMA PROTEINS: MARKERS OF CHEMICAL EXPOSUREGHULAM ANSARI; Fiscal Year: 1991..Industrial chemicals containing functional groups such as aldehyde (acrolein, formaldehyde, and glutaraldehyde), epoxide (ethylene oxide, propylene oxide, and styrene oxide), and hydrocarbon (benzene, ..
- Innate immune evasion and/or antagonism by eastern equine encephalitis virusKATHERINE RYMAN; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- FLORIDA FIREFIGHTER CANCER INCIDENCE AND MORTALITYLora Fleming; Fiscal Year: 2001..routinely exposed to a variety of carcinogenic substances, such as benzene, polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons, formaldehyde, and asbestos...
- Developing an inactivated whole cell H. pylori vaccineGARY NABORS; Fiscal Year: 2006..This trial will position the vaccine for more highly powered Phase 1 or early Phase 2 trials, and thus will move H. pylori vaccination one step closer to being a reality. ..
- Immunoprotective monoclonals to B. anthracis sporesALISON O BRIEN; Fiscal Year: 2003..actually bind to the surface of spores and decrease the level of spore germination, taken with the fact that formaldehyde-inactivated spores can serve as a protective vaccine against anthrax in guinea pigs, led us to the following ..
- HEAD AND NECK CARCINOMA CELL KINETICSMarc Coltrera; Fiscal Year: 1993..As none of the currently available proliferation-specific monoclonal antibodies can be used in formaldehyde-fixed, paraffin-embedded tissues, new proliferation-specific monoclonal antibodies capable of reacting with S-..
- Early Diagnosis of Oral Carcinoma Using Mutant PP32R1GERALD KOCHEVAR; Fiscal Year: 2006..Identification of the intracellular protein ligands will provide a specific functional context for mutant PP32R1S. ..
- RSV Upper Airway Infection and Otitis MediaJOAN E contact DURBIN; Fiscal Year: 2010..Our group has found a new vaccine against this virus, and want to test whether immunity to RSV can protect against the process that causes bacterial ear infections. ..
- PAIN, OPIOID ANALGESIA AND BLOOD PRESSURE CONTROLBradley Taylor; Fiscal Year: 2002..The results of these studies will facilitate our understanding of the mechanisms that contribute to chronic pain in the hypertensive patient. ..
- TUMOR MARKERS TO PREDICT TREATMENT RESPONSELynn Dressler; Fiscal Year: 2005..Two subcontracts are included in this proposal, one to support the CALGB Pathology Coordinating Office functions at OSU relevant to this study and the other in support of the molecular studies being performed by USC. ..
- NEW DRUGS FOR RESISTANT DISEASE FROM CI/MS STUDIESVERONICA BIERBAUM; Fiscal Year: 2000..Preliminary studies indicate that formaldehyde plays a critical role in this mechanism, and that newly synthesized anthracycline-formaldehyde conjugates ..
- REGULATION OF C1 METABOLISM IN METHYLOTROPHSMary Lidstrom; Fiscal Year: 2007..A distinguishing feature of methylotrophic metabolism is the generation and consumption of formaldehyde as a central intermediate, the starting point for all of metabolism...
- Develop & Validate An Ultrasound Tissue Preservation De*Zhenqing Zhu; Fiscal Year: 2006..Long-term stability of tissue morphology and mRNA integrity in USFFPE tissues is slightly better than that in conventional FFPE tissues. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- LOW-DOSE RADIATION STERILIZATIONSHALABY SHALABY; Fiscal Year: 2000..of a novel radiochemical sterilization (RC-S) process comprising a combination of a controllably released formaldehyde, and low-dose (equal to or less than 7...
- In vivo RNAi nanoparticle cancer gene function reagentMartin Woodle; Fiscal Year: 2009..If successful, the resulting reagent is expect to enable rapid advances in understanding this life threatening disease that produce better targeted therapeutic treatment options for patients. ..
- NASOPHARYNGEAL CARCINOMA --DUST AND SMOKE IN MALAYSIAR Armstrong; Fiscal Year: 1992..The specific aims are to: 1) test the hypothesis that occupational exposure to specific dusts, smokes, formaldehyde, and aromatic hydrocarbons in Selangor Malaysia are risk factors for NPC; 2) to estimate risk of NPC ..