- Adaptation of Hansenula polymorpha to methanol: a transcriptome analysis
Tim van Zutphen
Molecular Cell Biology, University of Groningen, Haren, The Netherlands
BMC Genomics 11:1. 2010
Methylotrophic yeast species (e.g. Hansenula polymorpha, Pichia pastoris) can grow on methanol as sole source of carbon and energy...
- Metabolic flux profiling of recombinant protein secreting Pichia pastoris growing on glucose:methanol mixtures
Departament d Enginyeria Quimica, Escola d Enginyeria, Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona, Bellaterra Cerdanyola del Valles, Spain
Microb Cell Fact 11:57. 2012
..Mixed feeds of methanol and a multicarbon source instead of methanol as sole carbon source have been shown to improve product ..
- Methylobacterium genome sequences: a reference blueprint to investigate microbial metabolism of C1 compounds from natural and industrial sources
Département Micro organismes, Génomes, Environnement, Universite de Strasbourg, UMR7156 CNRS, Strasbourg, France
PLoS ONE 4:e5584. 2009
- Genome-scale metabolic reconstruction and in silico analysis of methylotrophic yeast Pichia pastoris for strain improvement
Bevan Ks Chung
NUS Graduate School for Integrative Sciences and Engineering, National University of Singapore, 28 Medical Drive, 05 01, 117456, Singapore
Microb Cell Fact 9:50. 2010
..pastoris can be employed together with high throughput experimental data analysis, for better understanding of the methylotrophic yeast's metabolism...
- Expression of recombinant proteins in Pichia pastoris
Shanghai Research Center of Biotechnology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Shanghai, 200233, People s Republic of China
Appl Biochem Biotechnol 142:105-24. 2007
..Optimization can be achieved by controlling the medium composition, pH, temperature, and dissolved oxygen, as well as by methanol induction and feed mode.
- Methanol is an endogenous elicitor molecule for the synthesis of tryptophan and tryptophan-derived secondary metabolites upon senescence of detached rice leaves
Department of Biotechnology, Interdisciplinary Program of Graduate School for Bioenergy and Biomaterials, Bioenergy Research Center, Chonnam National University, Gwangju 500 757, Republic of Korea
Plant J 66:247-57. 2011
..and Trp-derived secondary metabolites such as serotonin and 4-coumaroylserotonin accumulated in concert with methanol (MeOH) production...
- Templated photocatalytic synthesis of well-defined platinum hollow nanostructures with enhanced catalytic performance for methanol oxidation
Key Laboratory for Special Functional Materials of the Ministry of Education, Henan University, Kaifeng 475004, People s Republic of China
Nano Lett 11:3759-62. 2011
..These nanostructures possess interconnected nanoporous framework as shell with high surface area for enhanced catalytic performance/mass transport for methanol oxidation.
- Pexophagy: the selective autophagy of peroxisomes
William A Dunn
Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology, University of Florida College of Medicine, Gainesville, Florida, USA
Autophagy 1:75-83. 2005
Pichia pastoris and Hansenula polymorpha are methylotrophic yeasts capable of utilizing methanol, as a sole source of carbon and energy...
- Identification of acetate- or methanol-assimilating bacteria under nitrate-reducing conditions by stable-isotope probing
Department of Chemical Engineering, Waseda University, 3 4 1 Ohkubo, Shinjuku ku, Tokyo 169 8555, Japan
Microb Ecol 52:253-66. 2006
Stable-isotope probing (SIP) was used to identify acetate- or methanol-assimilating bacteria under nitrate-reducing conditions in activated sludge...
- Caterpillar-elicited methanol emission: a new signal in plant-herbivore interactions?
Caroline C von Dahl
Department of Molecular Ecology, Max Planck Institute for Chemical Ecology, Beutenberg Campus, Hans Knoll Strasse 8, 07745 Jena, Germany
Plant J 46:948-60. 2006
Plants release into the atmosphere large quantities of volatile organic compounds (VOCs), of which methanol (MeOH), a putative waste product, is the second most abundant...
- Antioxidant activities and phenolic contents of the methanol extracts of the stems of Acokanthera oppositifolia and Adenia gummifera
Adeolu A Adedapo
Department of Veterinary Physiology, Biochemistry and Pharmacology, University of Ibadan, Ibadan, Nigeria
BMC Complement Altern Med 8:54. 2008
..Antioxidants thus play an important role of protecting the human body against damage by the free radicals. Plants containing phenolic compounds have been reported to possess strong antioxidant properties...
- Analysis of single-chain antibody production in Pichia pastoris using on-line methanol control in fed-batch and mixed-feed fermentations
, RWTH Aachen, 52074 Aachen, Germany
Biotechnol Bioeng 74:344-52. 2001
..In particular, the lack of on-line methanol analysis leads to fermentation protocols that may impair the optimal expression of the desired products...
- Demonstration of the ethylmalonyl-CoA pathway by using 13C metabolomics
Institute of Microbiology, Eidgenössiche Technische Hochschule Zurich, 8093 Zurich, Switzerland
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 106:4846-51. 2009
The assimilation of one-carbon (C1) compounds, such as methanol, by serine cycle methylotrophs requires the continuous regeneration of glyoxylate...
- Antiinflammatory activity of methanol extract isolated from stem bark of Magnolia kobus
Jong Soon Kang
Bioevaluation Center, Korea Research Institute of Bioscience and Biotechnology, Cheongwon, Chungbuk, Korea
Phytother Res 22:883-8. 2008
The present study reports the antiinflammatory activity of a methanol extract isolated from the stem bark of Magnolia kobus (MK)...
- Metabolic mechanisms of methanol/formaldehyde in isolated rat hepatocytes: carbonyl-metabolizing enzymes versus oxidative stress
Stephanie L Macallister
Department of Pharmaceutical Science, Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Chem Biol Interact 191:308-14. 2011
b>Methanol (CH(3)OH), a common industrial solvent, is metabolized to toxic compounds by several enzymatic as well as free radical pathways...
- Antibacterial and antibiotic-potentiation activities of the methanol extract of some cameroonian spices against Gram-negative multi-drug resistant phenotypes
Igor K Voukeng
Department of Biochemistry, Faculty of Science, University of Dschang, P, O, Box 67, Dschang, Cameroon, Africa
BMC Res Notes 5:299. 2012
The present work was designed to evaluate the antibacterial properties of the methanol extracts of eleven selected Cameroonian spices on multi-drug resistant bacteria (MDR), and their ability to potentiate the effect of some common ..
- Physiological response of Pichia pastoris GS115 to methanol-induced high level production of the Hepatitis B surface antigen: catabolic adaptation, stress responses, and autophagic processes
Ana Leticia Vanz
Technical Chemistry Life Science, Leibniz University of Hannover, Hannover, Germany
Microb Cell Fact 11:103. 2012
..Most often, protein production is under the control of the strong methanol-inducible aox1 promoter. However, detailed information about the physiological alterations in P...
- Fatty acid status determination by cheek cell sampling combined with methanol-based ultrasound extraction of glycerophospholipids
Division of Metabolic and Nutritional Medicine, Dr von Hauner Children s Hospital, University of Munich Medical Center, Lindwurmstr 4, 80337, Munich, Germany
Lipids 46:981-90. 2011
..The accuracy and reliability of this new method is comparable to conventional invasive methods for the determination of the n-3 fatty acid status in humans, and it is well applicable in interventional or epidemiological studies...
- A simple method to monitor and control methanol feeding of Pichia pastoris fermentations using mid-IR spectroscopy
Laboratory of Chemical and Biochemical Engineering LGCB, Station 6 CH J2 503, Ecole Polytechnique Federale de Lausanne EPFL, CH 1015 Lausanne, Switzerland
J Biotechnol 128:344-53. 2007
..Fed-batch experiments at constant methanol (substrate) concentration ranging from 0.8 to 15gl(-1) were carried out...
- Consistent sets of spectrophotometric chlorophyll equations for acetone, methanol and ethanol solvents
Raymond J Ritchie
School of Biological Sciences, The University of Sydney, Sydney, NSW 2006, Australia
Photosynth Res 89:27-41. 2006
..which uses Chl d as its primary photosynthetic pigment and also has Chl a, have been developed for 90% acetone, methanol and ethanol solvents...
- Therapeutic photobiomodulation for methanol-induced retinal toxicity
J T Eells
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Medical College of Wisconsin, 8701 Watertown Plank Road, Milwaukee, WI 53226, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 100:3439-44. 2003
b>Methanol intoxication produces toxic injury to the retina and optic nerve, resulting in blindness...
- The quinoprotein dehydrogenases for methanol and glucose
School of Biological Sciences, University of Southampton, Southampton SO16 7PX, UK
Arch Biochem Biophys 428:2-9. 2004
..These are the soluble methanol dehydrogenase and the membrane glucose dehydrogenase (mGDH)...
- Improved production of monoclonal antibodies through oxygen-limited cultivation of glycoengineered yeast
Biologics New and Enabling Technologies, Merck and Co Inc, 126 E Lincoln Ave, Rahway, NJ 07065, United States
J Biotechnol 155:217-24. 2011
..in glycoengineered Pichia pastoris is a non-linear function of specific growth rate that is dictated by a limited methanol feed rate...
- In vitro and in vivo anti-inflammatory activities of Polygonum hydropiper methanol extract
Department of Genetic Engineering, Sungkyunkwan University, Suwon, Republic of Korea
J Ethnopharmacol 139:616-25. 2012
..This study is therefore aimed at exploring the anti-inflammatory effects of 99% methanol extracts (Ph-ME) of this plant.
- Facultative methylotrophs from the human oral cavity and methylotrophy in strains of Gordonia, Leifsonia, and Microbacterium
Wei Lian Hung
King s College London Dental Institute, Microbiology, Guy s Campus, London, SE1 9RT, UK
Arch Microbiol 193:407-17. 2011
..These strains expressed enzymes associated with methylotrophic metabolism (methanol, methylamine, and formate dehydrogenases), and the assimilation of one-carbon compounds by the serine pathway (..
- Ethylene glycol, methanol and isopropyl alcohol intoxication
Department of Internal Medicine, Saint Mary s Hospital, Waterbury, Connecticut 06706, USA
Am J Med Sci 339:276-81. 2010
In clinical practice, poisoning with ethylene glycol, methanol, and isopropyl alcohol is common. These alcohol-related intoxications can present with high anion gap metabolic acidosis and increased osmolality...
- Anti-angiogenic activity of methanol extract of Phellinus linteus and its fractions
Yeon Sil Lee
Center for Efficacy Assessment and Development of Functional Foods and Drugs, Hallym University, 39 Hallym daehakgil, Chuncheon 200 702, Republic of Korea
J Ethnopharmacol 131:56-62. 2010
..The aim of the present study was to investigate the effects of MeOH extract of PL (PLME) and its fractions on angiogenesis...
- Root nodule bacteria isolated from South African Lotononis bainesii, L. listii and L. solitudinis are species of Methylobacterium that are unable to utilize methanol
Julie Kaye Ardley
Centre for Rhizobium Studies, School of Biological Sciences and Biotechnology, Murdoch University, Perth, WA, Australia
Arch Microbiol 191:311-8. 2009
..Methylobacterium spp. are characterized by their ability to utilize methanol and other C(1) compounds, but 11 Lotononis isolates neither grew on methanol as a sole carbon source nor were ..
- Combined effect of the methanol utilization (Mut) phenotype and gene dosage on recombinant protein production in Pichia pastoris fed-batch cultures
Departament d Enginyeria Quimica, ETSE, Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona, 08193 Bellaterra Barcelona, Spain
J Biotechnol 116:321-35. 2005
..drastically influence protein production and cultivation process development in this system are gene dosage and methanol assimilation capacity of the host strain (Mut phenotype)...
- Virus-like particle production with yeast: ultrastructural and immunocytochemical insights into Pichia pastoris producing high levels of the hepatitis B surface antigen
Helmholtz Centre for Infection Research VAM, Braunschweig, Germany
Microb Cell Fact 10:48. 2011
..So far, no clear evidence has been presented showing whether HBsAg assembles in vivo inside the yeast cell into VLPs or later in vitro during down-stream processing and purification...
- Propionate oxidation by and methanol inhibition of anaerobic ammonium-oxidizing bacteria
Department of Microbiology, University of Nijmegen, Toernooiveld 1, 6525 ED Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Appl Environ Microbiol 71:1066-71. 2005
..It was shown that alcohols inhibited anammox bacteria, while organic acids were converted by them. Methanol was the most potent inhibitor, leading to complete and irreversible loss of activity at concentrations as low as ..
- The expanding world of methylotrophic metabolism
Departments of Chemical Engineering, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington 98195, USA
Annu Rev Microbiol 63:477-99. 2009
..We also review new directions in methylotroph ecology that improve our understanding of the role of methylotrophy in global biogeochemical processes, along with an outlook for the future challenges in the field...
- Methanol extract of Ocimum gratissimum protects murine peritoneal macrophages from nicotine toxicity by decreasing free radical generation, lipid and protein damage and enhances antioxidant protection
Santanu Kar Mahapatra
Immunology and Microbiology Laboratory, Department of Human Physiology, Community Health, Vidyasagar University, Midnapore, West Bengal, India
Oxid Med Cell Longev 2:222-30. 2009
In the present study, methanol extract of Ocimum gratissimum Linn (ME-Og) was tested against nicotine-induced murine peritoneal macrophage in vitro...
- Recombinant protein expression in Pichia pastoris strains with an engineered methanol utilization pathway
Florian W Krainer
Graz University of Technology, Institute of Molecular Biotechnology, Graz, Austria
Microb Cell Fact 11:22. 2012
..yeast Pichia pastoris has become an important host organism for recombinant protein production and is able to use methanol as a sole carbon source...
- Old yellow enzyme confers resistance of Hansenula polymorpha towards allyl alcohol
Janet A Komduur
Eukaryotic Microbiology, Groningen Biomolecular Sciences and Biotechnology Institute GBB, University of Groningen, Kerklaan 30, 9751 NN Haren, The Netherlands
Curr Genet 41:401-6. 2002
In the methylotrophic yeast, Hansenula polymorpha, peroxisomes are formed during growth on methanol as sole carbon and energy source and contain the key enzymes for its metabolism, one of the major enzymes being alcohol oxidase (AO)...
- Methylselenol, a selenium metabolite, induces cell cycle arrest in G1 phase and apoptosis via the extracellular-regulated kinase 1/2 pathway and other cancer signaling genes
USDA, Agricultural Research Service, Grand Forks Human Nutrition Research Center, Grand Forks, ND 58202 9034, USA
J Nutr 139:1613-8. 2009
..The regulation of these genes is likely to play a key role in G1 cell cycle arrest and apoptosis, which may contribute to the inhibition of tumor cell invasion...
- Purification of the formate-tetrahydrofolate ligase from Methylobacterium extorquens AM1 and demonstration of its requirement for methylotrophic growth
Christopher J Marx
Department of Microbiology, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington 98195, USA
J Bacteriol 185:7169-75. 2003
..Furthermore, the ftfL mutant strain remained competent for wild-type conversion of [(14)C]methanol to [(14)C]CO(2)...
- A systems biology approach uncovers cellular strategies used by Methylobacterium extorquens AM1 during the switch from multi- to single-carbon growth
Department of Chemical Engineering, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington, USA
PLoS ONE 5:e14091. 2010
..These different modes of growth utilize dramatically different central metabolic pathways with limited pathway overlap...
- Acetone, ethanol and methanol extracts of Phyllanthus urinaria inhibit HSV-2 infection in vitro
Chien Min Yang
Graduate Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences, College of Pharmacy, No 100, Shin Chuan 1 st Road, Kaohsiung Medical University, 807 Kaohsiung, Taiwan, ROC
Antiviral Res 67:24-30. 2005
..urinaria were investigated in vitro by plaque reduction assay. Results showed that acetone, ethanol and methanol extracts of P. urinaria inhibited HSV-2 but not HSV-1 infection...
- Antimicrobial activities of methanol extract and compounds from stem bark of Vismia rubescens
Jean de Dieu Tamokou
Department of Biochemistry, Faculty of Science, University of Dschang, P O Box 67 Dschang, Cameroon
J Ethnopharmacol 124:571-5. 2009
..The plant, Vismia rubescens (Guttiferae) is popularly used in Cameroon and in several parts of Africa as febrifugal and for the treatment of various microbial infections (skin diseases, diarrhoea and venereal diseases)...
- Biodiesel production from heterotrophic microalgal oil
Department of Biological Sciences and Biotechnology, Tsinghua University, Beijing 100084, PR China
Bioresour Technol 97:841-6. 2006
..The best process combination was 100% catalyst quantity (based on oil weight) with 56:1 molar ratio of methanol to oil at temperature of 30 degrees C, which reduced product specific gravity from an initial value of 0...
- Heterologous protein production in methylotrophic yeasts
Rhein Biotech GmbH, Dusseldorf, Germany
Appl Microbiol Biotechnol 54:741-50. 2000
..They are based on strong and regulatable promoters for expression control derived from methanol metabolism pathway genes...
- Sorbitol co-feeding reduces metabolic burden caused by the overexpression of a Rhizopus oryzae lipase in Pichia pastoris
Departament d Enginyeria Quimica, ETSE, Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona, 08193 Bellaterra, Barcelona, Spain
J Biotechnol 130:39-46. 2007
..pastoris, the effect of sorbitol/methanol mixed substrates was tested in batch and fed-batch cultures...
- In vitro antibacterial, antifungal, and antioxidant activities of the essential oil and methanol extracts of herbal parts and callus cultures of Satureja hortensis L
Department of Biology, Faculty of Art and Science, Ataturk University, Erzurum 25240, Turkey
J Agric Food Chem 51:3958-65. 2003
..a Clevenger distillation apparatus, water soluble (polar) and water insoluble (nonpolar) subfractions of the methanol extracts from aerial parts of Satureja hortensis L...
- Engineering the Pichia pastoris methanol oxidation pathway for improved NADH regeneration during whole-cell biotransformation
Research Centre Applied Biocatalysis, Petersgasse 14, A 8010 Graz, Austria
Metab Eng 12:8-17. 2010
..Here, we present a new engineering strategy for improved NADH regeneration based on the Pichia pastoris methanol oxidation pathway...
- Strategies for optimal synthesis and secretion of heterologous proteins in the methylotrophic yeast Pichia pastoris
Hoechst Marion Roussel, Inc, Cincinnati, OH 45215 6300, USA
Gene 190:55-62. 1997
..have been produced at greater than gram per liter levels in the methylotrophic yeast, Pichia pastoris, using the methanol oxidase promoter...
- Theoretical kinetic study of the formation reactions of methanol and methyl hypohalites in the gas phase
Department of Physical Chemistry, Wroclaw Medical University, pl Nankiera 1, 50 140, Wroclaw, Poland
J Mol Model 15:1061-6. 2009
..The kinetic equations derived in this study allow a description of the kinetics of the reactions under investigation in the temperature range of 200-500 K...
- Cofactor-dependent pathways of formaldehyde oxidation in methylotrophic bacteria
Julia A Vorholt
Laboratoire de Biologie Moleculaire des relations Plantes Microorganismes, INRA CNRS, BP27, 31326 Castanet Tolosan, France
Arch Microbiol 178:239-49. 2002
Methylotrophic bacteria can grow on a number of substrates as energy source with only one carbon atom, such as methanol, methane, methylamine, and dichloromethane. These compounds are metabolized via the cytotoxin formaldehyde...
- Antinociceptive activities of the methanol extract of the bulbs of Dioscorea bulbifera L. var sativa in mice is dependent of NO-cGMP-ATP-sensitive-K(+) channel activation
Télesphore B Nguelefack
Laboratory of Animal Physiology and Phytopharmacology, Faculty of Sciences, University of Dschang, P O BOX 67, Dschang, Cameroon
J Ethnopharmacol 128:567-74. 2010
..Dioscorea bulbifera var sativa is a medicinal plant commonly used in Cameroonian traditional medicine to treat pain and inflammation...
- The relationship of methanol and formate concentrations in fatalities where methanol is detected
Graham R Jones
Office of the Chief Medical Examiner, Edmonton, AB, Canada
J Forensic Sci 52:1376-82. 2007
..for the determination of formate (formic acid) in postmortem specimens, based on the in situ sulfuric acid-methanol methylation of formic acid to methyl formate. Diisopropyl ether was used as an internal standard...
- A new methanol assimilating yeast, Ogataea parapolymorpha, the ascosporic state of Candida parapolymorpha
Cletus P Kurtzman
Bacterial Foodborne Pathogens and Mycology Research Unit, National Center for Agricultural Utilization Research, Agricultural Research Service, U S Department of Agriculture, 1815 North University Street, Peoria, IL 61604, USA
Antonie Van Leeuwenhoek 100:455-62. 2011
..The species appears homothallic, assimilates methanol as is typical of most Ogataea species and forms hat-shaped ascospores in asci that become deliquescent. O...
- Efficient hydrogenation of organic carbonates, carbamates and formates indicates alternative routes to methanol based on CO2 and CO
Department of Organic Chemistry, The Weizmann Institute of Science, Rehovot, 76100, Israel
Nat Chem 3:609-14. 2011
..their mild hydrogenation can provide alternative, mild approaches to the indirect hydrogenation of CO2 and CO to methanol, an important fuel and synthetic building block...
- Methanol extract of Sanguisorba officinalis L. with cytotoxic activity against PC3 human prostate cancer cells
Eun Sun Choi
Department of Oral Pathology, School of Dentistry, Institute of Oral Bioscience, Chonbuk National University, Jeonju 561 756, Republic of Korea
Mol Med Rep 6:670-4. 2012
..In the present study, we investigated the inhibitory effects and underlying mechanisms of a methanol extract of Sanguisorba officinalis (MESO) in PC3 human prostate cancer cells...
- Anti-inflammatory effects of kudingcha methanol extract (Ilex kudingcha C.J. Tseng) in dextran sulfate sodium-induced ulcerative colitis
Jia Le Song
Department of Food Science and Nutrition, Pusan National University, Busan 609 735, Republic of Korea
Mol Med Rep 8:1256-62. 2013
The present study aimed to investigate the anti‑inflammatory effects of Ilex kudingcha C.J. Tseng methanol extracts (KME) on 3% dextran sulfate sodium (DSS)‑induced ulcerative colitis (UC) in mice (C57BL/6J strain)...
- Fatal methanol intoxication with different survival times--morphological findings and postmortem methanol distribution
Institute of Legal Medicine, University of Hamburg, Germany
Forensic Sci Int 179:206-10. 2008
Three corresponding cases of fatal methanol intoxication with different survival times were investigated ante-mortem and postmortem. Ante-mortem serum methanol concentrations were determined during treatment in hospital for 4 days...
- An anaerobic, intrachamber incubator for growth of Methanosarcina spp. on methanol-containing solid media
W W Metcalf
Department of Microbiology, University of Illinois, Urbana 61801, USA
Appl Environ Microbiol 64:768-70. 1998
..In one operation, it is possible to incubate 153 petri plates, the equivalent of 11 standard anaerobic jars, with plating efficiencies identical to those of traditional protocols...
- Pharmacological mechanisms underlying the anti-ulcer activity of methanol extract and canthin-6-one of Simaba ferruginea A. St-Hil. in animal models
Elisângela Saturnino de Souza Almeida
Department of Basic Sciences in Health, Faculty of Medical Sciences, Federal University of Mato Grosso UFMT, Av Fernando Correa da Costa, no 2367, Coxipó, Cuiaba, Mato Grosso Zip Code 78060 900, Brazil
J Ethnopharmacol 134:630-6. 2011
..Simaba ferruginea A. St-Hil. (Simaroubaceae) is a subshrub typical of the Brazilian Cerrado, whose rhizomes are popularly used as infusion or decoction for the treatment of gastric ulcers, diarrhea and fever...
- Yap1-regulated glutathione redox system curtails accumulation of formaldehyde and reactive oxygen species in methanol metabolism of Pichia pastoris
Division of Applied Life Sciences, Graduate School of Agriculture, Kyoto University, Sakyo ku, Kyoto 606 8502, Japan
Eukaryot Cell 8:540-9. 2009
..regeneration reaction, has been found to play a critical role in the yeast Pichia pastoris during growth on methanol, and this regulation was at least partly executed by the transcription factor PpYap1...
- Anti-inflammatory activities of the methanol extracts and an isolated furanoditerpene constituent of Sphenocentrum jollyanum Pierre (Menispermaceae)
J O Moody
Department of Pharmacognosy, Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Ibadan, Ibadan, Nigeria
J Ethnopharmacol 104:87-91. 2006
..The fruit methanol extract (79.58% inhibition at 200 mg kg(-1)) gave a higher anti-inflammatory activity than the root extract (53...
- Immunostimulatory effect of methanol extract of Curculigo orchioides on immunosuppressed mice
A R Bafna
Pharmacy Department, Faculty of Technology and Engineering, The M S University of Baroda, Baroda 390001, Gujarat, India
J Ethnopharmacol 104:1-4. 2006
The methanol extract of rhizomes of Curculigo orchioides Gaertn. (Amaryllidaceae) holds potential as a protective agent against cytotoxic drugs...
- Bacillus methanolicus pyruvate carboxylase and homoserine dehydrogenase I and II and their roles for L-lysine production from methanol at 50 degrees C
Department of Biotechnology, SINTEF Materials and Chemistry, 7465, Trondheim, Norway
Appl Microbiol Biotechnol 87:951-64. 2010
..Wild-type MGA3 cells secreted 0.4 g/l L-lysine and 59 g/l L-glutamate under optimised fed batch methanol fermentation...
- Genome sequence of thermotolerant Bacillus methanolicus: features and regulation related to methylotrophy and production of L-lysine and L-glutamate from methanol
Tonje M B Heggeset
SINTEF Materials and Chemistry, Department of Biotechnology, SINTEF, Trondheim, Norway
Appl Environ Microbiol 78:5170-81. 2012
Bacillus methanolicus can utilize methanol as its sole carbon and energy source, and the scientific interest in this thermotolerant bacterium has focused largely on exploring its potential as a biocatalyst for the conversion of methanol ..
- Protective role of methanol extract of Cetraria islandica (L.) against oxidative stress and genotoxic effects of AFB₁ in human lymphocytes in vitro
Department of Biology, Faculty of Science, Ataturk University, Erzurum, Turkey
Toxicol Ind Health 27:599-605. 2011
In this study, the antigenotoxic and antioxidant effects of Cetraria islandica methanol (CME) extract were determined by using sister chromatid exchange (SCE), micronuclei (MN) assays and superoxide dismutase (SOD) and glutathione ..
- Effect of 4-methylpyrazole on endogenous plasma ethanol and methanol levels in humans
Department of Mental Health and Alcohol Research, National Public Health Institute, Helsinki, Finland
Alcohol Clin Exp Res 25:513-6. 2001
Endogenous methanol and ethanol levels are found in human blood...
- Acute methanol intoxication generates free radicals in rats: an ESR spin trapping investigation
M B Kadiiska
Laboratory of Pharmacology and Chemistry, National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences, National Institutes of Health, Research Triangle Park, NC 27709, USA
Free Radic Biol Med 28:1106-14. 2000
Electron spin resonance (ESR) spectroscopy has been used to investigate free radical generation in rats with acute methanol poisoning...
- Specific roles of methylcobamide:coenzyme M methyltransferase isozymes in metabolism of methanol and methylamines in Methanosarcina barkeri
D J Ferguson
Department of Microbiology, The Ohio State University, Columbus, 43210, USA
J Biol Chem 271:5189-94. 1996
..M methyltransferase (MT2-M and MT2-A) in the metabolic pathways of methane formation from: methanol, acetate, monomethylamine, dimethylamine, and trimethylamine...
- Evaluation of in vivo wound healing activity of methanol extract of Achyranthes aspera L
Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, University of Gondar, P O Box 196, Gondar, Ethiopia
J Ethnopharmacol 143:469-74. 2012
..However, the plant has not been explored scientifically for its wound healing activity. Therefore, this study was designed to investigate the wound healing activity of methanol extract of Achyranthes aspera L. leaves in rats.
- In vitro antioxidant activities of the methanol extract and its different solvent fractions obtained from the fruit pericarp of Terminalia bellerica
Suresh V Nampoothiri
Agroprocessing and Natural Products Division, National Institute for Interdisciplinary Science and Technology, CSIR, Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala 695019, India
Nat Prod Res 25:277-87. 2011
..In this study, the free radical scavenging and antioxidant activities of methanol extract (ME) and its different solvent fractions (namely hexane (HE), ethyl acetate (EA), butanol (BL) and water (..
- In vitro and in vivo anti-inflammatory effect of Rhodomyrtus tomentosa methanol extract
Department of Genetic Engineering, Sungkyunkwan University, Suwon 440 746, Republic of Korea
J Ethnopharmacol 146:205-13. 2013
..is a representative Thai medicinal plant traditionally used in South Asian countries to relieve various inflammatory symptoms. However, no systematic studies on its anti-inflammatory activity and mechanisms have been reported...
- Induction without methanol: novel regulated promoters enable high-level expression in Pichia pastoris
University of Natural Resources and Life Sciences, Department of Biotechnology, Muthgasse 18, Vienna 1190, Austria
Microb Cell Fact 12:5. 2013
..g. glycerol, while heterologous gene expression should be active in the feed phase under carbon (e.g. glucose) limitation...
- Distinct regulators control the expression of methanol methyltransferase isozymes in Methanosarcina acetivorans C2A
Department of Microbiology, University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign, B103 CLSL, 601 S Goodwin, Urbana, IL 61801, USA
Mol Microbiol 67:649-61. 2008
The mtaCB1, mtaCB2 and mtaCB3 operons encode isozymes of methanol methyltransferases in Methanosarcina acetivorans C2A and are among the most highly regulated genes known in Archaea...
- Glucose-methanol co-utilization in Pichia pastoris studied by metabolomics and instationary ¹³C flux analysis
Department of Chemical Engineering, Escola d Enginyeria, Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona, Bellaterra, Cerdanyola del Valles, Spain
BMC Syst Biol 7:17. 2013
Several studies have shown that the utilization of mixed carbon feeds instead of methanol as sole carbon source is beneficial for protein production with the methylotrophic yeast Pichia pastoris...
- Changes in the LHCII-mediated energy utilization and dissipation adjust the methanol-induced biomass increase
Department of Biology, University of Crete, P O Box 2208, GR 71409 Heraklion, Crete, Greece
Biochim Biophys Acta 1767:948-55. 2007
Considerably low methanol concentrations of 0.5% (v/v), induce an immense increase in biomass production in cultures of the unicellular green alga Scenedesmus obliquus compared to controls without additional methanol...
- XoxF is required for expression of methanol dehydrogenase in Methylobacterium extorquens AM1
Department of Chemical Engineering, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington 98195 2180, USA
J Bacteriol 193:6032-8. 2011
In Gram-negative methylotrophic bacteria, the first step in methylotrophic growth is the oxidation of methanol to formaldehyde in the periplasm by methanol dehydrogenase...
- Process optimization for biodiesel production from mahua (Madhuca indica) oil using response surface methodology
Shashikant Vilas Ghadge
Agricultural and Food Engineering Department, Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur 721 302, India
Bioresour Technol 97:379-84. 2006
A central composite rotatable design was used to study the effect of methanol quantity, acid concentration and reaction time on the reduction of free fatty acids content of mahua oil during its pretreatment for making biodiesel...
- Hyperglycemia is a strong prognostic factor of lethality in methanol poisoning
Department of Forensic Medicine and Toxicology, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
J Med Toxicol 7:189-94. 2011
b>Methanol poisoning is seen in the form of isolated episodes, or intentional ingestion and epidemics. Despite its efficient treatment, methanol poisoning has high morbidity and mortality rates...
- Triterpenoid contents and anti-inﬂammatory properties of the methanol extracts of ligustrum species leaves
Chi Rei Wu
Graduate Institute of Chinese Pharmaceutical Sciences, College of Pharmacy, China Medical University, 91 Hsieh Shih Road, Taichung 40402, Taiwan
Molecules 16:1-15. 2011
..The methanol extracts from Ligustrum plants leaves effectively inhibited nociceptive responses induced by 1% acetic acid and 1%..
- Src/NF-κB-targeted inhibition of LPS-induced macrophage activation and dextran sodium sulphate-induced colitis by Archidendron clypearia methanol extract
Woo Seok Yang
Department of Genetic Engineering, Sungkyunkwan University, Suwon 440 746, Republic of Korea
J Ethnopharmacol 142:287-93. 2012
..However, the antiinflammatory mechanism of A. clypearia has not been fully elucidated. This study examined the anti-inflammatory mechanism of a 95% methanol extract (Ac-ME) of A. clypearia in vitro and in vivo.
- Anti-inflammatory effects of methanol extract of Antrodia cinnamomea mycelia both in vitro and in vivo
Chi Luan Wen
Taiwan Seed Improvement and propagation Station, Council of Agriculture, Propagation Technology Section, Taichung, Taiwan
J Ethnopharmacol 137:575-84. 2011
..This study aimed to explore the folk use of Antrodia cinnamomea on pharmacological grounds to characterize the scientific basis of anti-inflammatory activity...
- An integrated proteomics/transcriptomics approach points to oxygen as the main electron sink for methanol metabolism in Methylotenera mobilis
David A C Beck
Department of Chemical Engineering, University of Washington, Box 355014, Seattle, Washington 98195, USA
J Bacteriol 193:4758-65. 2011
..close relatives in the genera Methylophilus, Methylobacillus, and Methylovorus, neither exhibit the activity of methanol dehydrogenase nor possess mxaFI genes encoding this enzyme, yet they are able to grow on methanol...
- Methanol strengthens hydrogen bonds and weakens hydrophobic interactions in proteins--a combined molecular dynamics and NMR study
Center for Biological NMR, Department of Chemistry, Texas A and M University, College Station, Texas 77843, United States
J Phys Chem B 115:6653-60. 2011
A combined simulation and experimental study was performed to investigate how methanol affects the structure of a model peptide BBA5. BBA5 forms a stable β-hairpin-α-helix structure in aqueous solutions...
- Methanol, formaldehyde, and sodium formate exposure in rat and mouse conceptuses: a potential role of the visceral yolk sac in embryotoxicity
Jason M Hansen
Department of Biochemistry, School of Medicine, Emory University, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Birth Defects Res A Clin Mol Teratol 73:72-82. 2005
b>Methanol (CH3OH) is believed to be teratogenic based on rodent studies. The mouse is more sensitive than the rat, but mechanisms of toxicity and identification of teratogenic metabolites are uncertain.
- DNA microarray analysis of Methanosarcina mazei Gö1 reveals adaptation to different methanogenic substrates
Department of Biological Sciences, University of Wisconsin Milwaukee, N Maryland Ave 3209, Milwaukee, WI 53211, USA
Mol Genet Genomics 273:225-39. 2005
..the genomic expression patterns of cells grown on either of two alternative methanogenic substrates, acetate or methanol, as sole carbon and energy source...
- Yeast methylotrophy and autophagy in a methanol-oscillating environment on growing Arabidopsis thaliana leaves
Division of Applied Life Sciences, Graduate School of Agriculture, Kyoto University, Kyoto, Japan
PLoS ONE 6:e25257. 2011
The yeast Candida boidinii capable of growth on methanol proliferates and survives on the leaves of Arabidopsis thaliana. The local methanol concentration at the phyllosphere of growing A...
- Methylselenol generated from selenomethionine by methioninase downregulates integrin expression and induces caspase-mediated apoptosis of B16F10 melanoma cells
Department of Biological Sciences, Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology, Daejeon, South Korea
J Cell Physiol 212:386-400. 2007
..Furthermore, activation of p38, PKC-delta, and NF-kappaB is a prerequisite for the down-regulation of integrin expression, followed by detachment-mediated apoptosis...
- Differential regulation of the three methanol methyltransferase isozymes in Methanosarcina acetivorans C2A
Department of Microbiology, University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign, 601 South Goodwin Avenue, Urbana, IL 61801, USA
J Bacteriol 188:7274-83. 2006
Genetic analysis of the three methanol-specific methyltransferase 1 operons (mtaCB1, mtaCB2, and mtaCB3) in Methanosarcina acetivorans led to the suggestion that each of them has a discrete function during growth on methanol, which might ..
- Pectin methylesterase NaPME1 contributes to the emission of methanol during insect herbivory and to the elicitation of defence responses in Nicotiana attenuata
Max Planck Institute for Chemical Ecology, Department of Molecular Ecology, Hans Knöll Str 8, D 07745 Jena, Germany
J Exp Bot 60:2631-40. 2009
Pectin methylesterases (PMEs) catalyse the demethylation of pectin within plant cell walls, releasing methanol (MeOH) in the process...
- Functional investigation of methanol dehydrogenase-like protein XoxF in Methylobacterium extorquens AM1
Institute of Microbiology, ETH Zurich, Wolfgang Pauli Strasse 10, 8093 Zurich, Switzerland
Microbiology 156:2575-86. 2010
b>Methanol dehydrogenase-like protein XoxF of Methylobacterium extorquens AM1 exhibits a sequence identity of 50 % to the catalytic subunit MxaF of periplasmic methanol dehydrogenase in the same organism...
- Chlorella methanol extract reduces lipid accumulation in and increases the number of apoptotic 3T3-L1 cells
Jeong Woo Chon
Department of Medical Nutrition, Graduate School of East West Medical Science, Kyung Hee University, Yongin si, Korea
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1171:183-9. 2009
..In this study, we found that methanol extract of Chlorella reduces lipid accumulation in 3T3-L1 adipocytes...
- Metabolite profiling and quantification of phenolic compounds in methanol extracts of tomato fruit
Department of Analytical Chemistry, Faculty of Sciences, University of Granada, c Fuentenueva s n, 18071 Granada, Spain
Phytochemistry 71:1848-64. 2010
..developed and validated an analytical method for the comprehensive profiling of semi-polar metabolites in the methanol extract of three cultivars of raw tomatoes (Daniela, Raf and Rambo) grown in Almería, in south-east Spain...
- Excessive S-adenosyl-L-methionine-dependent methylation increases levels of methanol, formaldehyde and formic acid in rat brain striatal homogenates: possible role in S-adenosyl-L-methionine-induced Parkinson's disease-like disorders
Eun Sook Lee
Department of Neurology, Meharry Medical College, Nashville, TN 37208, United States
Life Sci 83:821-7. 2008
..The hydrolysis of the methyl ester bond of the methylated proteins produces methanol. Since methanol is oxidized into formaldehyde, and formaldehyde into formic acid in the body, we investigated the ..
- Fomepizole for the treatment of pediatric ethylene and diethylene glycol, butoxyethanol, and methanol poisonings
Toxicology Associates, University of Colorado, School of Medicine, Denver, CO, USA
Clin Toxicol (Phila) 48:401-6. 2010
The use and clinical efficacy of the alcohol dehydrogenase inhibitor fomepizole is well established for the treatment of ethylene glycol and methanol poisonings in adults.
- Acute oral toxicity and brine shrimp lethality of Elaeis guineensis Jacq., (oil palm leaf) methanol extract
Abdul Rani Muhamad Syahmi
Universiti Sains Malaysia, Pulau Pinang, Malaysia
Molecules 15:8111-21. 2010
..Maximum mortalities occurred at 100 mg/mL concentration while the least mortalities happened to be at 0.195 mg/mL concentration. The results of both tests confirm that E. guineensis is nontoxic and hence safe for commercial utilization...
- Methanol alters ecto-nucleotidases and acetylcholinesterase in zebrafish brain
Eduardo Pacheco Rico
Laboratório de Neuroquímica e Psicofarmacologia, Departamento de Biologia Celular e Molecular, Faculdade de Biociencias, Pontifícia Universidade Católica do Rio Grande do Sul Avenida Ipiranga, 6681, 90619 900, Porto Alegre, RS, Brazil
Neurotoxicol Teratol 28:489-96. 2006
b>Methanol is a neurotoxic compound that is responsible for serious damage on CNS. Besides being found as an environmental contaminant, this alcohol is also employed as a component of cryoprotector solutions for zebrafish embryos...
- A dynamic method based on the specific substrate uptake rate to set up a feeding strategy for Pichia pastoris
Vienna University of Technology, Institute of Chemical Engineering, Research Area Biochemical Engineering, Vienna, Austria
Microb Cell Fact 10:14. 2011
- Loss of the mtr operon in Methanosarcina blocks growth on methanol, but not methanogenesis, and reveals an unknown methanogenic pathway
Paula V Welander
Department of Microbiology, University of Illinois, B103 Chemical and Life Science Laboratory, 601 South Goodwin Avenue, Urbana, IL 61801, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 102:10664-9. 2005
..However, in the disproportionation of C-1 compounds, such as methanol, to methane and carbon dioxide, it catalyzes the reverse, endergonic transfer from methyl-CoM to H4SPT, which is ..
- Methanol-associated matrix effects in electrospray ionization tandem mass spectrometry
Thomas M Annesley
Department of Pathology, University of Michigan Health Sciences Center, Ann Arbor, MI, USA
Clin Chem 53:1827-34. 2007
..Preliminary observations indicated that the methanol used in the mobile phase could be a source of differential ionization or ion suppression.
- Fast growth increases the selective advantage of a mutation arising recurrently during evolution under metal limitation
Hsin Hung Chou
Department of Organismic and Evolutionary Biology, Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts, United States of America
PLoS Genet 5:e1000652. 2009
..We identified a transposition mutation arising recurrently in 30 of 32 independent populations that utilized methanol as a carbon source, but not in any of the 8 that utilized only succinate...
- Antioxidant activities of methanol extract of Sambucus ebulus L. flower
M A Ebrahimzadeh
Department of Medicinal Chemistry, School of Pharmacy, Mazandaran University of Medical Sciences, Postal Code 48189, Sari, Iran
Pak J Biol Sci 12:447-50. 2009
In this study antioxidant activity of methanol extract of Sambucus ebulus L. flower was investigated employing various in vitro assay systems, i.e...
- Methanol-induced oxidative stress in rat lymphoid organs
Narayanaperumal J Parthasarathy
Immunology Laboratory, Department of Physiology, Dr ALM PG Institute of Basic Medical Sciences, University of Madras, Taramani Campus, Chennai, Tamilnadu, India
J Occup Health 48:20-7. 2006
b>Methanol is primarily metabolized by oxidation to formaldehyde and then to formate. These processes are accompanied by formation of superoxide anion and hydrogen peroxide...
- Batch stage study of lipid production from crude glycerol derived from yellow grease or animal fats through microalgal fermentation
Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, 1230 Lincoln Dr, Southern Illinois University Carbondale, Carbondale, IL 62901, USA
Bioresour Technol 101:6745-50. 2010
..Higher concentrations of glycerol resulted in decreased cell growth due to substrate inhibition and methanol presence. With 35 g/l, the cellular lipid content was the highest - 73.3% among all the doses tested...