Genomes and Genes
Summary: A pyrimidine analog that is an antineoplastic antimetabolite. It interferes with DNA synthesis by blocking the THYMIDYLATE SYNTHETASE conversion of deoxyuridylic acid to thymidylic acid.
Publications335 found, 100 shown here
- Bevacizumab plus irinotecan, fluorouracil, and leucovorin for metastatic colorectal cancerHerbert Hurwitz
Duke University, Durham, NC, USA
N Engl J Med 350:2335-42. 2004..Bevacizumab, a monoclonal antibody against vascular endothelial growth factor, has shown promising preclinical and clinical activity against metastatic colorectal cancer, particularly in combination with chemotherapy...
- Perioperative chemotherapy versus surgery alone for resectable gastroesophageal cancerDavid Cunningham
Department of Medicine, Royal Marsden Hospital, Sutton, Surrey, United Kingdom
N Engl J Med 355:11-20. 2006A regimen of epirubicin, cisplatin, and infused fluorouracil (ECF) improves survival among patients with incurable locally advanced or metastatic gastric adenocarcinoma...
- Cetuximab and chemotherapy as initial treatment for metastatic colorectal cancerEric Van Cutsem
University Hospital Gasthuisberg, Digestive Oncology Unit, Herestraat 49, 3000 Leuven, Belgium
N Engl J Med 360:1408-17. 2009We investigated the efficacy of cetuximab plus irinotecan, fluorouracil, and leucovorin (FOLFIRI) as first-line treatment for metastatic colorectal cancer and sought associations between the mutation status of the KRAS gene in tumors and ..
- 5-fluorouracil: mechanisms of action and clinical strategiesDaniel B Longley
Cancer Research Centre, Department of Oncology, Queen s University Belfast, University Floor, Belfast City Hospital, 97 Lisburn Road, Belfast BT9 7AB, Northern Ireland
Nat Rev Cancer 3:330-8. 20035-fluorouracil (5-FU) is widely used in the treatment of cancer. Over the past 20 years, increased understanding of the mechanism of action of 5-FU has led to the development of strategies that increase its anticancer activity...
- Randomized, phase III trial of panitumumab with infusional fluorouracil, leucovorin, and oxaliplatin (FOLFOX4) versus FOLFOX4 alone as first-line treatment in patients with previously untreated metastatic colorectal cancer: the PRIME studyJean Yves Douillard
Centre Rene Gauducheau, Nantes, France
J Clin Oncol 28:4697-705. 2010..Colorectal Cancer to Determine Efficacy (PRIME) was designed to evaluate the efficacy and safety of panitumumab plus infusional fluorouracil, leucovorin, and oxaliplatin (FOLFOX4) versus FOLFOX4 alone as initial treatment for mCRC.
- Cetuximab plus irinotecan, fluorouracil, and leucovorin as first-line treatment for metastatic colorectal cancer: updated analysis of overall survival according to tumor KRAS and BRAF mutation statusEric Van Cutsem
University Hospital Gasthuisberg, Herestraat 49, 3000 Leuven, Belgium
J Clin Oncol 29:2011-9. 2011The addition of cetuximab to irinotecan, fluorouracil, and leucovorin (FOLFIRI) as first-line treatment for metastatic colorectal cancer (mCRC) was shown to reduce the risk of disease progression and increase the chance of response in ..
- Preoperative versus postoperative chemoradiotherapy for rectal cancerRolf Sauer
Department of Radiation Therapy, University of Erlangen, Erlangen, Germany
N Engl J Med 351:1731-40. 2004..In recent years, encouraging results with preoperative radiotherapy have been reported. We compared preoperative chemoradiotherapy with postoperative chemoradiotherapy for locally advanced rectal cancer...
- Bevacizumab in combination with oxaliplatin-based chemotherapy as first-line therapy in metastatic colorectal cancer: a randomized phase III studyLeonard B Saltz
Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, 1275 York Ave, Room H 917, New York, NY 10021, USA
J Clin Oncol 26:2013-9. 2008..safety of bevacizumab when added to first-line oxaliplatin-based chemotherapy (either capecitabine plus oxaliplatin [XELOX] or fluorouracil/folinic acid plus oxaliplatin [FOLFOX-4]) in patients with metastatic colorectal cancer (MCRC).
- Chemoradiotherapy after surgery compared with surgery alone for adenocarcinoma of the stomach or gastroesophageal junctionJ S Macdonald
St Vincent's Comprehensive Cancer Center, New York, USA
N Engl J Med 345:725-30. 2001..The adjuvant treatment consisted of 425 mg of fluorouracil per square meter of body-surface area per day, plus 20 mg of leucovorin per square meter per day, for five days,..
- Oxaliplatin, fluorouracil, and leucovorin as adjuvant treatment for colon cancerThierry Andre
Hopital Tenon, Paris
N Engl J Med 350:2343-51. 2004The standard adjuvant treatment of colon cancer is fluorouracil plus leucovorin (FL). Oxaliplatin improves the efficacy of this combination in patients with metastatic colorectal cancer...
- Lapatinib plus capecitabine for HER2-positive advanced breast cancerCharles E Geyer
Allegheny Cancer Center, Allegheny General Hospital, Pittsburgh, PA 15212, USA
N Engl J Med 355:2733-43. 2006..In this trial, we compared lapatinib plus capecitabine with capecitabine alone in such patients...
- Bevacizumab in combination with oxaliplatin, fluorouracil, and leucovorin (FOLFOX4) for previously treated metastatic colorectal cancer: results from the Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group Study E3200Bruce J Giantonio
University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA, USA
J Clin Oncol 25:1539-44. 2007..This study was conducted to determine the effect of bevacizumab (at 10 mg/kg) on survival duration for oxaliplatin-based chemotherapy in patients with previously treated metastatic colorectal cancer...
- Addition of aflibercept to fluorouracil, leucovorin, and irinotecan improves survival in a phase III randomized trial in patients with metastatic colorectal cancer previously treated with an oxaliplatin-based regimenEric Van Cutsem
University Hospital Gasthuisberg, Leuven, Belgium
J Clin Oncol 30:3499-506. 2012..colorectal cancer (mCRC) commonly involves a fluoropyrimidine-based chemotherapy regimen such as infusional fluorouracil, leucovorin, and irinotecan (FOLFIRI) or fluorouracil, leucovorin, and oxaliplatin, often combined with ..
- Fluorouracil, leucovorin, and oxaliplatin with and without cetuximab in the first-line treatment of metastatic colorectal cancerCarsten Bokemeyer
University Hospital, Hamburg Eppendorf, Hamburg Eppendorf, Germany
J Clin Oncol 27:663-71. 2009..assessed whether the best overall response rate (ORR) of cetuximab combined with oxaliplatin, leucovorin, and fluorouracil (FOLFOX-4) was superior to that of FOLFOX-4 alone as first-line treatment for metastatic colorectal cancer...
- Improved overall survival with oxaliplatin, fluorouracil, and leucovorin as adjuvant treatment in stage II or III colon cancer in the MOSAIC trialThierry Andre
Hopital Saint Antoine, 184 rue du Faubourg Saint Antoine, Paris 75012, France
J Clin Oncol 27:3109-16. 2009..resection with curative intent for stage II or III colon cancer who received bolus plus continuous-infusion fluorouracil plus leucovorin (LV5FU2) with the addition of oxaliplatin (FOLFOX4)...
- Platinum-based chemotherapy plus cetuximab in head and neck cancerJan B Vermorken
Antwerp University Hospital, Department of Medical Oncology, Edegem, Belgium
N Engl J Med 359:1116-27. 2008..We investigated the efficacy of cetuximab plus platinum-based chemotherapy as first-line treatment in patients with recurrent or metastatic squamous-cell carcinoma of the head and neck...
- Addition of cetuximab to oxaliplatin-based first-line combination chemotherapy for treatment of advanced colorectal cancer: results of the randomised phase 3 MRC COIN trialTimothy S Maughan
School of Medicine, Cardiff University, Cardiff, UK
Lancet 377:2103-14. 2011....
- Randomized phase III study of panitumumab with fluorouracil, leucovorin, and irinotecan (FOLFIRI) compared with FOLFIRI alone as second-line treatment in patients with metastatic colorectal cancerMarc Peeters
University Hospital Ghent, Ghent, Belgium
J Clin Oncol 28:4706-13. 2010..This trial evaluated the efficacy and safety of panitumumab plus fluorouracil, leucovorin, and irinotecan (FOLFIRI) compared with FOLFIRI alone after failure of initial treatment for mCRC ..
- Capecitabine and oxaliplatin for advanced esophagogastric cancerDavid Cunningham
Royal Marsden Hospital National Health Service Foundation Trust, Surrey and London, United Kingdom
N Engl J Med 358:36-46. 2008We evaluated capecitabine (an oral fluoropyrimidine) and oxaliplatin (a platinum compound) as alternatives to infused fluorouracil and cisplatin, respectively, for untreated advanced esophagogastric cancer.
- Cediranib with mFOLFOX6 versus bevacizumab with mFOLFOX6 as first-line treatment for patients with advanced colorectal cancer: a double-blind, randomized phase III study (HORIZON III)Hans Joachim Schmoll
Department of Internal Medicine IV, Hematology and Oncology, University Clinic Halle Saale, Martin Luther University Halle Wittenberg, Ernst Grube Str 40, 06120 Halle, Germany
J Clin Oncol 30:3588-95. 2012....
- Role of BAX in the apoptotic response to anticancer agentsL Zhang
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Oncology Center, and Program in Human Genetics, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21231, USA
Science 290:989-92. 2000..Such cells were partially resistant to the apoptotic effects of the chemotherapeutic agent 5-fluorouracil, but apoptosis was not abolished...
- miR-15b and miR-16 modulate multidrug resistance by targeting BCL2 in human gastric cancer cellsLin Xia
State Key Laboratory of Cancer Biology and Institute of Digestive Diseases, Xijing Hospital, Fourth Military Medical University, Xi an, People s Republic of China
Int J Cancer 123:372-9. 2008..Taken together, our findings suggest that miR-15b and miR-16 could play a role in the development of MDR in gastric cancer cells at least in part by modulation of apoptosis via targeting BCL2...
- Pharmacogenomic predictor of sensitivity to preoperative chemotherapy with paclitaxel and fluorouracil, doxorubicin, and cyclophosphamide in breast cancerKenneth R Hess
Department of Biostatistics and Applied Mathematics, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX 77230 1439, USA
J Clin Oncol 24:4236-44. 2006We developed a multigene predictor of pathologic complete response (pCR) to preoperative weekly paclitaxel and fluorouracil-doxorubicin-cyclophosphamide (T/FAC) chemotherapy and assessed its predictive accuracy on independent cases.
- Chemotherapy with preoperative radiotherapy in rectal cancerJean Francois Bosset
Department of Radiation Therapy, University of Franche Comte, Besancon, France
N Engl J Med 355:1114-23. 2006..Preoperative radiotherapy is recommended for selected patients with rectal cancer. We evaluated the addition of chemotherapy to preoperative radiotherapy and the use of postoperative chemotherapy in the treatment of rectal cancer...
- Phase III trial of cetuximab with continuous or intermittent fluorouracil, leucovorin, and oxaliplatin (Nordic FLOX) versus FLOX alone in first-line treatment of metastatic colorectal cancer: the NORDIC-VII studyKjell Magne Tveit
Department of Oncology, Oslo University Hospital, 0407 Oslo, Norway
J Clin Oncol 30:1755-62. 2012The NORDIC-VII multicenter phase III trial investigated the efficacy of cetuximab when added to bolus fluorouracil/folinic acid and oxaliplatin (Nordic FLOX), administered continuously or intermittently, in previously untreated metastatic ..
- Concurrent chemotherapy and radiotherapy for organ preservation in advanced laryngeal cancerArlene A Forastiere
Sidney Kimmel Comprehensive Cancer Center at Johns Hopkins, Baltimore, MD 21231 1000, USA
N Engl J Med 349:2091-8. 2003Induction chemotherapy with cisplatin plus fluorouracil followed by radiotherapy is the standard alternative to total laryngectomy for patients with locally advanced laryngeal cancer...
- Chemotherapy, bevacizumab, and cetuximab in metastatic colorectal cancerJolien Tol
Radboud University Nijmegen Medical Center, Nijmegen, The Netherlands
N Engl J Med 360:563-72. 2009..We studied the effect of adding the anti-epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR) antibody cetuximab to a combination of capecitabine, oxaliplatin, and bevacizumab for metastatic colorectal cancer...
- Phase III study of docetaxel and cisplatin plus fluorouracil compared with cisplatin and fluorouracil as first-line therapy for advanced gastric cancer: a report of the V325 Study GroupEric Van Cutsem
University Hospital Gasthuisberg, Leuven, Belgium
J Clin Oncol 24:4991-7. 2006..V325) of untreated advanced gastric cancer patients, the phase II part selected docetaxel, cisplatin, and fluorouracil (DCF) over docetaxel and cisplatin for comparison against cisplatin and fluorouracil (CF; reference regimen) in ..
- Defective mismatch repair as a predictive marker for lack of efficacy of fluorouracil-based adjuvant therapy in colon cancerDaniel J Sargent
Division of Biomedical Statistics and Informatics, Department of Pathology, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
J Clin Oncol 28:3219-26. 2010..instability (MSI-H) or defective DNA mismatch repair (dMMR) have improved survival and receive no benefit from fluorouracil (FU) -based adjuvant therapy compared with patients who have microsatellite-stable or proficient mismatch ..
- Perioperative chemotherapy compared with surgery alone for resectable gastroesophageal adenocarcinoma: an FNCLCC and FFCD multicenter phase III trialMarc Ychou
Centre Regional de Lutte contre le Cancer Val d Aurelle, 298 rue des apothicaires 34298 Montpellier Cedex 05, France
J Clin Oncol 29:1715-21. 2011..This phase III trial was designed to evaluate the benefit in overall survival (OS) of perioperative fluorouracil plus cisplatin in resectable gastroesophageal adenocarcinoma.
- Efficacy according to biomarker status of cetuximab plus FOLFOX-4 as first-line treatment for metastatic colorectal cancer: the OPUS studyC Bokemeyer
Department of Oncology, Hematology, BMT With Section Pneumology, University Hospital, Hamburg Eppendorf, Germany
Ann Oncol 22:1535-46. 2011..Cancer) study showed that tumor KRAS mutation status was predictive for outcome in patients receiving cetuximab plus FOLFOX-4 (oxaliplatin/5-fluorouracil/folinic acid) as first-line therapy for metastatic colorectal cancer (mCRC).
- Preoperative chemoradiotherapy and postoperative chemotherapy with fluorouracil and oxaliplatin versus fluorouracil alone in locally advanced rectal cancer: initial results of the German CAO/ARO/AIO-04 randomised phase 3 trialClaus Rodel
Department of Radiotherapy and Oncology, University of Frankfurt, Frankfurt, Germany
Lancet Oncol 13:679-87. 2012Preoperative chemoradiotherapy, total mesorectal excision surgery, and adjuvant chemotherapy with fluorouracil is the standard combined modality treatment for rectal cancer...
- P38MAPK is a major determinant of the balance between apoptosis and autophagy triggered by 5-fluorouracil: implication in resistanceM A de la Cruz-Morcillo
Laboratorio de Oncologia Molecular, Centro Regional de Investigaciones Biomédicas, CRIB PCYTA, Universidad de Castilla La Mancha, UCLM, Albacete, Spain
Oncogene 31:1073-85. 20125-Fluorouracil (5-FU), together with other drugs such as oxaliplatin, is one of the most important pharmacological agents in the treatment of colorectal cancer...
- Colon cancer stem cells dictate tumor growth and resist cell death by production of interleukin-4Matilde Todaro
Department of Surgical and Oncological Sciences, Cellular and Molecular Pathophysiology Laboratory, University of Palermo, 90127 Palermo, Italy
Cell Stem Cell 1:389-402. 2007..Our data suggest that colon tumor growth is dictated by stem-like cells that are treatment resistant due to the autocrine production of IL-4...
- Comparison of two neoadjuvant chemoradiotherapy regimens for locally advanced rectal cancer: results of the phase III trial ACCORD 12/0405-Prodige 2Jean Pierre Gerard
Centre Antoine Lacassagne, 06189 Nice Cedex 2, France
J Clin Oncol 28:1638-44. 2010..Neoadjuvant chemoradiotherapy is considered a standard approach for T3-4 M0 rectal cancer. In this situation, we compared neoadjuvant radiotherapy plus capecitabine with dose-intensified radiotherapy plus capecitabine and oxaliplatin...
- 5-Fluorouracil adjuvant chemotherapy does not increase survival in patients with CpG island methylator phenotype colorectal cancerRodrigo Jover
Unidad de Gastroenterologia, Hospital General Universitario de Alicante, Alicante, Spain
Gastroenterology 140:1174-81. 20115-Fluorouracil (5-FU)-based adjuvant chemotherapy does not increase survival times of patients with colorectal tumors with microsatellite instability...
- A phase III randomized comparison of lapatinib plus capecitabine versus capecitabine alone in women with advanced breast cancer that has progressed on trastuzumab: updated efficacy and biomarker analysesDavid Cameron
University of Leeds, Leeds, England, UK
Breast Cancer Res Treat 112:533-43. 2008..Updated efficacy and initial biomarker results from this trial are reported...
- DNA mismatch repair status and colon cancer recurrence and survival in clinical trials of 5-fluorouracil-based adjuvant therapyFrank A Sinicrope
Division of Oncology, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
J Natl Cancer Inst 103:863-75. 2011..We determined the association of MMR status with colon cancer recurrence and examined the impact of 5-fluorouracil (FU)-based adjuvant therapy on recurrence variables.
- Leucovorin and fluorouracil with or without oxaliplatin as first-line treatment in advanced colorectal cancerA de Gramont
Service de médecine interne oncologie, Hopital Saint Antoine, Paris, France
J Clin Oncol 18:2938-47. 2000..for advanced colorectal cancer, the LV5FU2 regimen, comprising leucovorin (LV) plus bolus and infusional fluorouracil (5FU) every 2 weeks, was superior to the standard North Central Cancer Treatment Group/Mayo Clinic 5-day bolus ..
- Safety and efficacy of first-line bevacizumab with FOLFOX, XELOX, FOLFIRI and fluoropyrimidines in metastatic colorectal cancer: the BEAT studyE Van Cutsem
University Hospital Gasthuisberg, Leuven, Belgium
Ann Oncol 20:1842-7. 2009..The Bevacizumab Expanded Access Trial (BEAT) evaluated the safety and efficacy of bevacizumab plus first-line chemotherapy in a general cohort of patients with mCRC...
- Phase III trial of infusional fluorouracil, leucovorin, oxaliplatin, and irinotecan (FOLFOXIRI) compared with infusional fluorouracil, leucovorin, and irinotecan (FOLFIRI) as first-line treatment for metastatic colorectal cancer: the Gruppo Oncologico NorAlfredo Falcone
U O Oncologia Medica, Istituto Toscano Tumori, Livorno, Italy
J Clin Oncol 25:1670-6. 2007The Gruppo Oncologico Nord Ovest (GONO) conducted a phase III study comparing fluorouracil, leucovorin, oxaliplatin, and irinotecan (FOLFOXIRI [irinotecan 165 mg/m2 day 1, oxaliplatin 85 mg/m2 day 1, leucovorin 200 mg/m2 day 1, ..
- Efficacy, safety, and biomarkers of neoadjuvant bevacizumab, radiation therapy, and fluorouracil in rectal cancer: a multidisciplinary phase II studyChristopher G Willett
Department of Radiation Oncology, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 27710, USA
J Clin Oncol 27:3020-6. 2009..To assess the safety and efficacy of neoadjuvant bevacizumab with standard chemoradiotherapy in locally advanced rectal cancer and explore biomarkers for response...
- 5-Fluorouracil selectively kills tumor-associated myeloid-derived suppressor cells resulting in enhanced T cell-dependent antitumor immunityJulie Vincent
INSERM Research Center 866, Avenir Team, Faculty of Medicine, University of Burgundy, Anti Cancer Center, Georges François Leclerc, Dijon, France
Cancer Res 70:3052-61. 2010..In this study, we observed that gemcitabine and 5-fluorouracil (5FU) were selectively cytotoxic on MDSC...
- Role of primary miRNA polymorphic variants in metastatic colon cancer patients treated with 5-fluorouracil and irinotecanV Boni
Oncology Unit, Department of Oncology and Haematology, Casa Sollievo Sofferenza, S Giovanni Rotondo, Italy
Pharmacogenomics J 11:429-36. 2011..to miRNA biogenesis with clinical outcome in metastatic colorectal cancer (mCRC) patients treated with 5-fluorouracil and irinotecan (CPT-11). Eighteen single-nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs) were analyzed in 61 patients...
- Phase III randomized comparison of gemcitabine versus gemcitabine plus capecitabine in patients with advanced pancreatic cancerDavid Cunningham
Royal Marsden National HealthService NHS Foundation Trust, London and Surrey, United Kingdom
J Clin Oncol 27:5513-8. 2009..This open-label study was designed to compare the overall survival (OS) of patients randomly assigned to GEM alone or GEM plus capecitabine (GEM-CAP)...
- MicroRNA-21 induces resistance to 5-fluorouracil by down-regulating human DNA MutS homolog 2 (hMSH2)Nicola Valeri
Departments of Molecular Virology, Ohio State University Comprehensive Cancer Center, Ohio State University, Columbus, OH 43210, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 107:21098-103. 2010..Cells that overproduce miR-21 exhibit significantly reduced 5-fluorouracil (5-FU)-induced G2/M damage arrest and apoptosis that is characteristic of defects in the core MMR component...
- Cetuximab plus chronomodulated irinotecan, 5-fluorouracil, leucovorin and oxaliplatin as neoadjuvant chemotherapy in colorectal liver metastases: POCHER trialC Garufi
Department of Medical Oncology, Regina Elena Cancer Institute, Rome, Italy
Br J Cancer 103:1542-7. 2010We assessed the effectiveness of cetuximab plus chronomodulated irinotecan, 5-fluorouracil (5-FU), leucovorin (FA) and oxaliplatin (L-OHP) (chrono-IFLO) administered as neoadjuvant chemotherapy to increase the resectability of colorectal ..
- Induction chemotherapy with cisplatin and fluorouracil alone or in combination with docetaxel in locally advanced squamous-cell cancer of the head and neck: long-term results of the TAX 324 randomised phase 3 trialJochen H Lorch
Dana Farber Cancer Institute, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Lancet Oncol 12:153-9. 2011..TAX 324 study showed a significant survival benefit of induction chemotherapy with docetaxel, cisplatin, and fluorouracil (TPF) versus cisplatin and fluorouracil (PF) in locally advanced head and neck cancer...
- XELOX vs FOLFOX-4 as first-line therapy for metastatic colorectal cancer: NO16966 updated resultsJ Cassidy
Institute of Cancer Sciences, Beatson Oncology Centre, 1053 Great Western Road, Glasgow G12 0YN, UK
Br J Cancer 105:58-64. 2011We report updated overall survival (OS) data from study NO16966, which compared capecitabine plus oxaliplatin (XELOX) vs 5-fluorouracil/folinic acid plus oxaliplatin (FOLFOX4) as first-line therapy in metastatic colorectal cancer.
- Randomized trial of radiation therapy versus concomitant chemotherapy and radiation therapy for advanced-stage oropharynx carcinomaG Calais
G Calais, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire Tours, France
J Natl Cancer Inst 91:2081-6. 1999..e., advanced oropharynx carcinoma)...
- Effect of the methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase C677T polymorphism on chemosensitivity of colon and breast cancer cells to 5-fluorouracil and methotrexateKyoung Jin Sohn
Department of Medicine, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
J Natl Cancer Inst 96:134-44. 2004..We hypothesized that this polymorphism may modulate the cytotoxic effect of 5-fluorouracil (5FU) and methotrexate (MTX), two commonly used chemotherapeutic agents for colon and breast cancers, because ..
- Phase III study of concurrent chemoradiotherapy versus radiotherapy alone for advanced nasopharyngeal carcinoma: positive effect on overall and progression-free survivalJin Ching Lin
Department of Radiation Oncology, Taichung Veterans General Hospital Taiwan, No 160, Sec 3, Taichung Kang Road, Taichung, 407 Taiwan
J Clin Oncol 21:631-7. 2003..Nasopharyngeal carcinoma (NPC) is a radiosensitive and chemosensitive tumor. This randomized phase III trial compared concurrent chemoradiotherapy (CCRT) versus radiotherapy (RT) alone in patients with advanced NPC...
- Preliminary results of a randomized study on therapeutic gain by concurrent chemotherapy for regionally-advanced nasopharyngeal carcinoma: NPC-9901 Trial by the Hong Kong Nasopharyngeal Cancer Study GroupAnne W M Lee
Department of Clinical Oncology, Pamela Youde Nethersole Eastern Hospital, Hong Kong, China
J Clin Oncol 23:6966-75. 2005..This randomized study compared the results achieved by concurrent chemoradiotherapy (CRT) versus radiotherapy (RT) alone for nasopharyngeal carcinoma (NPC) with advanced nodal disease...
- ERCC1 and thymidylate synthase mRNA levels predict survival for colorectal cancer patients receiving combination oxaliplatin and fluorouracil chemotherapyY Shirota
University of Southern California/Norris Comprehensive Cancer Center and Response Genetics Inc, Los Angeles, CA 90033, USA
J Clin Oncol 19:4298-304. 2001..TS) gene and the excision cross-complementing (ERCC1) gene are associated with response to and survival of fluorouracil (5-FU)/oxaliplatin chemotherapy in metastatic colorectal cancer...
- Preoperative radiotherapy with or without concurrent fluorouracil and leucovorin in T3-4 rectal cancers: results of FFCD 9203Jean Pierre Gerard
Centre Antoine Lacassagne, Radiotherapy Department, Nice, France
J Clin Oncol 24:4620-5. 2006..In 1992, preoperative radiotherapy was considered in France as the standard treatment for T3-4 rectal cancers. The present randomized trial compares preoperative radiotherapy with chemoradiotherapy...
- Adjuvant chemotherapy with fluorouracil plus folinic acid vs gemcitabine following pancreatic cancer resection: a randomized controlled trialJohn P Neoptolemos
Liverpool Cancer Research UK Cancer Trials Unit, Cancer Research UK Centre, University of Liverpool, Fifth Floor, UCD Bldg, Daulby Street, Liverpool, L69 3GA, United Kingdom
JAMA 304:1073-81. 2010Adjuvant fluorouracil has been shown to be of benefit for patients with resected pancreatic cancer...
- Tumour response and secondary resectability of colorectal liver metastases following neoadjuvant chemotherapy with cetuximab: the CELIM randomised phase 2 trialGunnar Folprecht
University Hospital Carl Gustav Carus, Medical Department I University Cancer Center, Dresden, Germany
Lancet Oncol 11:38-47. 2010..Neoadjuvant chemotherapy for unresectable colorectal liver metastases can downsize tumours for curative resection. We assessed the effectiveness of cetuximab combined with chemotherapy in this setting...
- MicroRNA-10b is a prognostic indicator in colorectal cancer and confers resistance to the chemotherapeutic agent 5-fluorouracil in colorectal cancer cellsNaohiro Nishida
Department of Surgery and Molecular Oncology, Medical Institute of Bioregulation, Kyushu University, Beppu, Oita, Japan
Ann Surg Oncol 19:3065-71. 2012..We investigated the clinical significance of miR-10b and its involvement in chemotherapeutic resistance to 5-fluorouracil (5-FU), which is a key component of common chemotherapy regimens in colorectal cancer.
- Pharmacogenetic assessment of toxicity and outcome in patients with metastatic colorectal cancer treated with LV5FU2, FOLFOX, and FOLFIRI: FFCD 2000-05Valerie Boige
Department of Medicine, Institut Gustave Roussy, Villejuif, France
J Clin Oncol 28:2556-64. 2010..was to investigate whether germline polymorphisms within candidate genes known or suspected to be involved in fluorouracil (FU), oxaliplatin, and irinotecan pathways were associated with toxicity and clinical outcome in patients with ..
- Pyrimidine salvage in Trypanosoma brucei bloodstream forms and the trypanocidal action of halogenated pyrimidinesJuma A M Ali
Institute of Infection, Immunity and Inflammation, College of Medical, Veterinary and Life Sciences, University of Glasgow, Glasgow G12 8TA, United Kingdom
Mol Pharmacol 83:439-53. 2013..Of importance, the anticancer drug 5-fluorouracil was an excellent substrate for TbU3, and several 5-fluoropyrimidine analogs were investigated for uptake and ..
- Synergistic antitumor effect of dichloroacetate in combination with 5-fluorouracil in colorectal cancerJingtao Tong
Department of Oncology, Southwest Hospital, Third Military Medical University, 29 Gaotanyan Street, Chongqing 400038, China
J Biomed Biotechnol 2011:740564. 2011..In the present study, we aimed to investigate the antitumor effect of DCA combined with 5-Fluorouracil (5-FU) on colorectal cancer (CRC) cells...
- Phase II trial of infusional fluorouracil, irinotecan, and bevacizumab for metastatic colorectal cancer: efficacy and circulating angiogenic biomarkers associated with therapeutic resistanceScott Kopetz
University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center Lyndon B Johnson Hospital, Harris County Hospital District, Houston, TX, USA
J Clin Oncol 28:453-9. 2010We investigated the efficacy of fluorouracil (FU), leucovorin, irinotecan, and bevacizumab (FOLFIRI + B) in a phase II trial in patients previously untreated for metastatic colorectal cancer (mCRC), and changes during treatment in plasma ..
- Long-term update of US GI intergroup RTOG 98-11 phase III trial for anal carcinoma: survival, relapse, and colostomy failure with concurrent chemoradiation involving fluorouracil/mitomycin versus fluorouracil/cisplatinLeonard L Gunderson
Mayo Clinic Arizona, Scottsdale, AZ 85259, USA
J Clin Oncol 30:4344-51. 2012..publication of GI Intergroup Radiation Therapy Oncology Group (RTOG) 98-11 [A Phase III Randomized Study of 5-Fluorouracil (5-FU), Mitomycin, and Radiotherapy Versus 5-Fluorouracil, Cisplatin and Radiotherapy in Carcinoma of the Anal ..
- UGT1A and TYMS genetic variants predict toxicity and response of colorectal cancer patients treated with first-line irinotecan and fluorouracil combination therapyE Martinez-Balibrea
Medical Oncology Service, Institut Catala d Oncologia, Hospital Germans Trias I Pujol C Ctra Canyet s n, Badalona 08916, Spain
Br J Cancer 103:581-9. 2010..germline polymorphisms on the outcome of colorectal cancer (CRC) patients treated with irinotecan plus 5-fluorouracil (irinotecan/5FU) is still controversial...
- Cediranib plus FOLFOX/CAPOX versus placebo plus FOLFOX/CAPOX in patients with previously untreated metastatic colorectal cancer: a randomized, double-blind, phase III study (HORIZON II)Paulo M Hoff
FACP, Instituto do Câncer do Estado de São Paulo, Faculdade de Medicina da Universidade de Sao Paulo, Av Dr Arnaldo 251, Sao Paulo, Brazil
J Clin Oncol 30:3596-603. 2012..Versus Placebo Plus Chemotherapy in Patients With Untreated Metastatic Colorectal Cancer] assessed infusional fluorouracil, leucovorin, and oxaliplatin/capecitabine and oxaliplatin (FOLFOX/CAPOX) with or without cediranib in patients ..
- Randomized controlled trial of reduced-dose bolus fluorouracil plus leucovorin and irinotecan or infused fluorouracil plus leucovorin and oxaliplatin in patients with previously untreated metastatic colorectal cancer: a North American Intergroup TrialRichard M Goldberg
Division of Hematology and Oncology, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, CB 7305, 3009 Old Clinic Bldg, Chapel Hill, NC 27514, USA
J Clin Oncol 24:3347-53. 2006Previously, we reported results of Intergroup N9741, which compared standard bolus fluorouracil (FU), leucovorin, plus irinotecan (IFL) with infused FU, leucovorin, plus oxaliplatin (FOLFOX4) and irinotecan plus oxaliplatin in patients ..
- Disulfiram-mediated inhibition of NF-kappaB activity enhances cytotoxicity of 5-fluorouracil in human colorectal cancer cell linesWeiguang Wang
Department of Medicine and Therapeutics, Institute of Medical Sciences, University of Aberdeen, Foresterhill, Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Int J Cancer 104:504-11. 20035-Fluorouracil (5-FU) is the major chemotherapeutic component for colorectal cancer (CRC) and other types of solid tumours. Resistance of cancer cells to 5-FU is considered the major obstacle for successful chemotherapy...
- Multicenter phase III comparison of cisplatin/S-1 with cisplatin/infusional fluorouracil in advanced gastric or gastroesophageal adenocarcinoma study: the FLAGS trialJaffer A Ajani
Department of Gastrointestinal Medical Oncology, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, TX 77030, USA
J Clin Oncol 28:1547-53. 2010..Patients with advanced gastric or gastroesophageal adenocarcinoma need more efficacious and safer treatments than established today. S-1, a contemporary oral fluoropyrimidine, can provide that advantage...
- Randomized, placebo-controlled, phase III study of oxaliplatin, fluorouracil, and leucovorin with or without PTK787/ZK 222584 in patients with previously treated metastatic colorectal adenocarcinomaEric Van Cutsem
Digestive Oncology Unit, University Hospital Gasthuisberg, Herestraat 49, 3000 Leuven, Belgium
J Clin Oncol 29:2004-10. 2011..PTK787/ZK 222584 (PTK/ZK) is a novel oral angiogenesis inhibitor with therapeutic potential for the treatment of solid tumors...
- Phase I/II trial of cilengitide with cetuximab, cisplatin and 5-fluorouracil in recurrent and/or metastatic squamous cell cancer of the head and neck: findings of the phase I partJ B Vermorken
Department of Medical Oncology, Antwerp University Hospital, Wilrijkstraat 10, Edegem 2650, Belgium
Br J Cancer 104:1691-6. 2011..Novel therapies are needed to improve the poor prognosis of patients with recurrent and/or metastatic squamous cell cancer of the head and neck (SCCHN)...
- Best supportive care (BSC) versus oxaliplatin, folinic acid and 5-fluorouracil (OFF) plus BSC in patients for second-line advanced pancreatic cancer: a phase III-study from the German CONKO-study groupUwe Pelzer
Universitatsmedizin Berlin Charite, Centrum für Tumormedizin, Augustenburger Platz 1, 13353 Berlin, Germany
Eur J Cancer 47:1676-81. 2011..We initiated a phase III multicentre study comparing OFF versus best supportive care (BSC) in patients with APC progressing while on gemcitabine therapy...
- Phase III trial assessing bevacizumab in stages II and III carcinoma of the colon: results of NSABP protocol C-08Carmen J Allegra
University of Florida, Division of Hematology and Oncology, 1600 SW Archer Ave, Rm N 503, Gainesville, FL 32610, USA
J Clin Oncol 29:11-6. 2011..to investigate the safety and efficacy of adding bevacizumab to modified FOLFOX6 (mFOLFOX6; ie, infusional/bolus fluorouracil, leucovorin, and oxaliplatin) for the adjuvant treatment of patients with stages II to III colon cancer.
- Primary tumor response to preoperative chemoradiation with or without oxaliplatin in locally advanced rectal cancer: pathologic results of the STAR-01 randomized phase III trialCarlo Aschele
Istituto Nazionale per la Ricerca sul Cancro, Genova, Italy
J Clin Oncol 29:2773-80. 2011To investigate oxaliplatin combined with fluorouracil-based chemoradiotherapy as preoperative treatment for locally advanced rectal cancer.
- Phase II study of modified docetaxel, cisplatin, and fluorouracil with bevacizumab in patients with metastatic gastroesophageal adenocarcinomaManish A Shah
Gastrointestinal Oncology Service, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, and the Weill School of Medicine, Cornell University, New York, NY, USA
J Clin Oncol 29:868-74. 2011To evaluate the safety and efficacy of a modified administration schedule of docetaxel, cisplatin, and fluorouracil (mDCF) with bevacizumab in patients with advanced gastroesophageal malignancies.
- Capecitabine, bevacizumab, and mitomycin in first-line treatment of metastatic colorectal cancer: results of the Australasian Gastrointestinal Trials Group Randomized Phase III MAX StudyNiall C Tebbutt
Austin Health, Studley Rd, Heidelberg, Victoria, 3084, Australia
J Clin Oncol 28:3191-8. 2010..To determine whether adding bevacizumab, with or without mitomycin, to capecitabine monotherapy improves progression-free survival (PFS) in patients with metastatic colorectal cancer (mCRC) in an open-label, three-arm randomized trial...
- Randomized, placebo-controlled, phase III study of first-line oxaliplatin-based chemotherapy plus PTK787/ZK 222584, an oral vascular endothelial growth factor receptor inhibitor, in patients with metastatic colorectal adenocarcinomaJ Randolph Hecht
David Geffen School of Medicine at University of California, Los Angeles, Santa Monica, CA 90404, USA
J Clin Oncol 29:1997-2003. 2011..an orally active, multitargeted angiogenesis inhibitor, has shown tolerability and promising activity in early-phase studies, which led to a phase III trial in combination with oxaliplatin, fluorouracil, and leucovorin (FOLFOX4).
- Cisplatin and fluorouracil alone or with docetaxel in head and neck cancerMarshall R Posner
Dana Farber Cancer Institute, Boston, MA 02115, USA
N Engl J Med 357:1705-15. 2007..phase 3 trial of the treatment of squamous-cell carcinoma of the head and neck compared induction chemotherapy with docetaxel plus cisplatin and fluorouracil (TPF) with cisplatin and fluorouracil (PF), followed by chemoradiotherapy.
- Chloroquine potentiates the anti-cancer effect of 5-fluorouracil on colon cancer cellsKazuhito Sasaki
Department of Surgical Oncology, Faculty of Medical Sciences, The University of Tokyo, Tokyo 113 8655, Japan
BMC Cancer 10:370. 2010..It has been shown to inhibit cell growth and/or to induce cell death in various types of cancer. 5-Fluorouracil (5-FU) is the chemotherapeutic agent of first choice in colorectal cancer, but in most cases, resistance to 5-..
- Intensity-modulated radiation therapy with or without chemotherapy for nasopharyngeal carcinoma: radiation therapy oncology group phase II trial 0225Nancy Lee
Department of Radiation Oncology, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, 1275 York Ave, Box 22, New York, NY 10021, USA
J Clin Oncol 27:3684-90. 2009..To investigate the feasibility of intensity-modulated radiation therapy (IMRT) with or without chemotherapy, and to assess toxicities, failure patterns, and survivals in patients with nasopharyngeal carcinoma (NPC)...
- Prognostic and predictive value of the 21-gene recurrence score assay in postmenopausal women with node-positive, oestrogen-receptor-positive breast cancer on chemotherapy: a retrospective analysis of a randomised trialKathy S Albain
Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medicine, Cardinal Bernardin Cancer Center, Maywood, IL, USA
Lancet Oncol 11:55-65. 2010....
- Fluorouracil, doxorubicin, and streptozocin in the treatment of patients with locally advanced and metastatic pancreatic endocrine carcinomasMaria A Kouvaraki
Department of Surgical Oncology, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, USA
J Clin Oncol 22:4762-71. 2004..We retrospectively studied 84 patients with locally advanced or metastatic PEC who had been treated with fluorouracil, doxorubicin, and streptozocin (FAS) to determine the objective response rate, duration of progression-free ..
- Rescue surgery for unresectable colorectal liver metastases downstaged by chemotherapy: a model to predict long-term survivalRene Adam
Centre Hépato Biliaire and Inserm E0354 Cancer Chronotherapeutics, Hopital Paul Brousse, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris Université Paris, Sud Villejuif, France
Ann Surg 240:644-57; discussion 657-8. 2004....
- Bevacizumab with FOLFOXIRI (irinotecan, oxaliplatin, fluorouracil, and folinate) as first-line treatment for metastatic colorectal cancer: a phase 2 trialGianluca Masi
Unità Operativa Oncologia Medica Universitaria, Azienda Ospedaliero Universitaria Pisana, Istituto Toscano Tumori, Pisa, Italy
Lancet Oncol 11:845-52. 2010The FOLFOXIRI (irinotecan, oxaliplatin, fluorouracil, and folinate) regimen has been shown to be better than FOLFIRI (fluorouracil, folinate, and irinotecan) in a phase 3 trial in patients with metastatic colorectal cancer...
- Capecitabine as adjuvant treatment for stage III colon cancerChris Twelves
University of Leeds and Bradford NHS Hospitals Trust, Leeds, United Kingdom
N Engl J Med 352:2696-704. 2005Intravenous bolus fluorouracil plus leucovorin is the standard adjuvant treatment for colon cancer...
- Tumor microsatellite-instability status as a predictor of benefit from fluorouracil-based adjuvant chemotherapy for colon cancerChristine M Ribic
Centre for Cancer Genetics, Samuel Lunenfeld Research Institute, Toronto
N Engl J Med 349:247-57. 2003..We investigated the usefulness of microsatellite-instability status as a predictor of the benefit of adjuvant chemotherapy with fluorouracil in stage II and stage III colon cancer.
- Phase III trial of trimodality therapy with cisplatin, fluorouracil, radiotherapy, and surgery compared with surgery alone for esophageal cancer: CALGB 9781Joel Tepper
Department of Radiation Oncology, University of North Carolina School of Medicine, Chapel Hill, NC 27599 7512, USA
J Clin Oncol 26:1086-92. 2008..To this end, we compared survival, response, and patterns of failure of trimodality therapy to esophagectomy alone in patients with nonmetastatic esophageal cancer...
- Effective surgical adjuvant therapy for high-risk rectal carcinomaJ E Krook
Duluth Community Clinical Oncology Program, Minn
N Engl J Med 324:709-15. 1991..We designed a combination regimen to optimize the contribution of chemotherapy, decrease recurrence, and improve survival as compared with adjuvant radiation alone...
- Fluorouracil versus combination of irinotecan plus cisplatin versus S-1 in metastatic gastric cancer: a randomised phase 3 studyNarikazu Boku
Shizuoka Cancer Centre, Shizuoka, Japan
Lancet Oncol 10:1063-9. 2009..We aimed to investigate the superiority of irinotecan plus cisplatin and non-inferiority of S-1 compared with fluorouracil, with respect to overall survival, in patients with metastatic gastric cancer.
- Initial safety report of NSABP C-08: A randomized phase III study of modified FOLFOX6 with or without bevacizumab for the adjuvant treatment of patients with stage II or III colon cancerCarmen J Allegra
Department of Biostatistics, University of Pittsburgh, PA, USA
J Clin Oncol 27:3385-90. 2009..trial was designed to investigate the safety and effectiveness of adding bevacizumab to modified infusional fluorouracil, leucovorin, and oxaliplatin (FOLFOX) 6 regimen for the adjuvant treatment of patients with stage II or III ..
- Capecitabine plus oxaliplatin compared with fluorouracil and folinic acid as adjuvant therapy for stage III colon cancerDaniel G Haller
Abramson Cancer Center, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
J Clin Oncol 29:1465-71. 2011This multicenter, randomized trial compared capecitabine plus oxaliplatin (XELOX) with bolus fluorouracil (FU) and folinic acid (FA) as adjuvant therapy for patients with stage III colon cancer.
- Human breast cancer cell lines contain stem-like cells that self-renew, give rise to phenotypically diverse progeny and survive chemotherapyChristine M Fillmore
Department of Genetics, Sackler School, Tufts University School of Medicine, Harrison Avenue, Boston, Massachusetts 02111, USA
Breast Cancer Res 10:R25. 2008..We embarked on this study hypothesizing that breast cancer cell lines would contain analogous hierarchical differentiation programs to those found in primary breast tumors...
- Alanyl-glutamine hastens morphologic recovery from 5-fluorouracil-induced mucositis in miceBenedito A Carneiro-Filho
Department of Morphology, Institute of Biomedicine and Clinical Research Unit University Hospital, Federal University of Ceara, Brazil
Nutrition 20:934-41. 2004In this study, we postulated the beneficial role of oral alanyl-glutamine, a more stable glutamine derivative to decrease 5-fluorouracil (5-FU)-induced mucositis in mice.
- Patient preference and pharmacokinetics of oral modulated UFT versus intravenous fluorouracil and leucovorin: a randomised crossover trial in advanced colorectal cancerM M Borner
Early Clinical Studies Group of The European Organization for Research and Treatment of Cancer, Belgium
Eur J Cancer 38:349-58. 2002..v.) 5-fluorouracil (5-FU)/LV chemotherapy in metastatic colorectal cancer and to compare 5-FU exposure with these two treatment ..
- Capecitabine/cisplatin versus 5-fluorouracil/cisplatin as first-line therapy in patients with advanced gastric cancer: a randomised phase III noninferiority trialY K Kang
Division of Oncology, Department of Internal Medicine, Asan Medical Center, Songpa Gu, Seoul, Republic of Korea
Ann Oncol 20:666-73. 2009To compare capecitabine/cisplatin with 5-fluorouracil/cisplatin as first-line treatment for advanced gastric cancer (AGC).
- Systemic treatment of colorectal cancerBrian M Wolpin
Department of Medicine, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Gastroenterology 134:1296-310. 2008..For patients with stage III (lymph node positive) colon cancer, an overall survival benefit for fluorouracil-based chemotherapy has been firmly established, and recent data have shown further efficacy for the inclusion ..
- Randomised, non-comparative phase II study of weekly docetaxel with cisplatin and 5-fluorouracil or with capecitabine in oesophagogastric cancer: the AGITG ATTAX trialN C Tebbutt
Department of Medical Oncology, Austin Health, PO Box 5555, Studley Road, Heidelberg, Melbourne, Victoria 3084, Australia
Br J Cancer 102:475-81. 2010Docetaxel administered 3-weekly with cisplatin and 5-fluorouracil leads to better survival than does standard therapy in patients with oesophagogastric cancer, but leads to high rates of haematological toxicity...
- Critical evaluation of current treatments in metastatic colorectal cancerAlan Venook
Division of Medical Oncology, Clinical Research Office, University of California Cancer Center, Box 1705, 1600 Divisadero, San Francisco, California 94115 1705, USA
Oncologist 10:250-61. 2005b>Fluorouracil (FU) has been the mainstay of treatment for metastatic colorectal cancer (mCRC) for many years...
- Randomized controlled trial of combined 5-Fluorouracil and low-molecular-weight heparin in the management of unselected rhegmatogenous retinal detachments undergoing primary vitrectomyL Wickham
Vitreoretinal Department, Moorfields Eye Hospital, London, United Kingdom
Ophthalmology 114:698-704. 2007To determine the efficacy of a combination of 5-fluorouracil (5FU) and low-molecular-weight heparin (LMWH) in the treatment of unselected rhegmatogenous retinal detachment (RRD) undergoing primary vitrectomy.
- Can chemotherapy be discontinued in unresectable metastatic colorectal cancer? The GERCOR OPTIMOX2 StudyBenoist Chibaudel
Hopital Saint Antoine, Paris Cedex 12, France
J Clin Oncol 27:5727-33. 2009This study compared chemotherapy discontinuation with maintenance therapy with leucovorin and fluorouracil after six cycles of folinic acid, fluorouracil, and oxaliplatin (FOLFOX) chemotherapy in the first-line treatment of metastatic ..
- Genome-wide mRNA and microRNA profiling of the NCI 60 cell-line screen and comparison of FdUMP with fluorouracil, floxuridine, and topoisomerase 1 poisonsWilliam H Gmeiner
Department of Cancer Biology, Wake Forest University School of Medicine, Winston Salem, NC 27157, USA
Mol Cancer Ther 9:3105-14. 2010..cell-line screen was analyzed to identify expression signatures that correlate with sensitivity to FdUMP, fluorouracil (5FU), floxuridine (FdU), topotecan, and irinotecan...
- Evidence that tRNA modifying enzymes are important in vivo targets for 5-fluorouracil in yeastMarie Gustavsson
Department of Medical Biochemistry and Microbiology, Uppsala University, SE 751 23 Uppsala, Sweden
RNA 14:666-74. 2008We have screened a collection of haploid yeast knockout strains for increased sensitivity to 5-fluorouracil (5-FU). A total of 138 5-FU sensitive strains were found...
- Antibody-mediated Gene Therapy for the Treatment of CancerTRACY RUTH DANIELS-WELLS; Fiscal Year: 2013..This enzyme converts the prodrug 5-fluorocytosine to the toxic metabolites 5-fluorouracil (5-FU) and 5-fluorouridine 5'monophosphate (5-FUMP) and thus is an antibody- directed enzyme prodrug ..
- Suppression of Ocular Scarring - Controlled Delivery of an ALK-5 InhibitorHiroshi Nakamura; Fiscal Year: 2013..As subconjunctival anti-scarring treatments, antimetabolites, generally 5-fluorouracil (5-FU) and mitomycin-C (MMC), are commonly used to reduce post-operative scarring at the site of GFS and ..
- Mechanisms mediating hematopoietic stem and progenitor cell traffickingPaul S Frenette; Fiscal Year: 2013..Here, we will explore further the hypothesis that the retention of hematopoietic stem and progenitor cells in the niche is regulated by differing signals from the sympathetic nervous system and macrophages. ..
- FRET-based Biosensors to Monitor Redox in Cell Cycle RegulationPaul J A Kenis; Fiscal Year: 2012..redox environment of isogenic HCT116 p53+/+ and p53-/- cells treated with the chemotherapeutic drugs fluorouracil and doxorubicin in combination with perturbations in glutathione homeostasis...
- Targeting Mitotic Kinases Inhibitors for Cancer TherapyE Premkumar Reddy; Fiscal Year: 2013..the effects of combination therapy using ON1231320 and cytotoxic anti-cancer agents such as oxaliplatin, 5-fluorouracil, paclitaxel and doxorubicin to induce apoptosis and tumor regression in breast and colorectal cancer model ..
- AID-mediated genetic instability in BCR-ABL1-transformed B cell lineage leukemiaMARKUS MUSCHEN; Fiscal Year: 2013..5-FC (Ancobon(R)) and its derivatives 5-DFCR and Capecitabine (Xeloda(R)) into the cytotoxic metabolite 5- fluorouracil (5-FU)...
- Enhancing Suicide Gene Therapy Through Mechanism-Based ApproachesDonna S Shewach; Fiscal Year: 2012..and cytosine deaminase (CD)/5-flucytosine (5- FC), a suicide gene model that produces the anticancer drug 5-fluorouracil. In addition, we demonstrate the importance of sequential drug administration with this double suicide gene ..
- Molecular mechanism of diet induced carcinogenesisSamson T Jacob; Fiscal Year: 2013..potential role of PTPRO in regulating invasiveness of HCC cells and their sensitization to drug (doxorubicin, 5-Fluorouracil)-induced apoptosis, and identify liver-specific substrate(s) of PTPRO by substrate-trapping assay that will ..
- Enhancement of Medullary Erythropoiesis during Anemia by Trib3David Kuhrt; Fiscal Year: 2013..I will also investigate Trib3's effects on medullary stress erythropoiesis in vivo during the anemia of 5-fluorouracil administration, sublethal irradiation or bone marrow transplantation...
- Validation of MRI Microvascular Biomarkers in Pancreatic Cancer with Magnetic NanALEXANDER RAMOS GUIMARAES; Fiscal Year: 2013..abstract_text> ..
- Expression-Based Multi-Gene Signatures for CRC Recurrence and ChemoselectionChristopher Sears; Fiscal Year: 2012..requires only 4 genes to predict recurrence (mCRC) with over 95% accuracy and 4 genes to predict response to 5-fluorouracil (5-FU) therapy with over 91% accuracy as described in the proposal...
- Correlative Studies for NCI Study#7916: Phase I Clinical Trial of Intravenous FAUPatricia Mucci LoRusso; Fiscal Year: 2010DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): The thymidylate synthase (TS) inhibitor 5-fluorouracil (5FU) is the "backbone" of cancer treatment in many malignancies. Unfortunately, tumors can be resistant to 5FU due to upregulation of TS...
- Engineering enzymes for anti-tumor suicide gene therapyBarry L Stoddard; Fiscal Year: 2010..CD (a microbial enzyme) is being engineered to efficiently convert 5-fluorocytosine (5-FC) to 5-fluorouracil (5-FU), which is a metabolic inhibitor of DNA synthesis and RNA function...
- Combination Therapy With 5-FU and PDT For The Treatment Of Post-Transplant PremalEdward V Maytin; Fiscal Year: 2012..is noninvasive, and is now considered superior to most other standard treatments for AK, including topical 5- fluorouracil cream (5FU)...
- IN VIVO VISUALIZATION AND QUANTIFICATION OF EPIGENETIC ACTIVITIES USING MAGNETICWon Bin Young; Fiscal Year: 2011..A yeast cytosine deaminase (CD) will be used as a reporter to convert 5-fluorocytosine (5-FC) to 5-fluorouracil (5-FU)...
- In vivo function of macrophage in healthy and diseased erythropoiesisPaul S Frenette; Fiscal Year: 2013..promote erythropoiesis since their selective in vivo depletion compromised erythropoietic recovery after 5-fluorouracil- or phenylhydrazine-induced anemia...
- Structure and mechanism of CpG specific DNA glycosylasesALEX C DROHAT; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- Co-Delivery of Antifungal Agents: Toxicity and Efficacy in Invasive CandidiasisGlen S Kwon; Fiscal Year: 2013..together intravenously will exert potent antifungal activity, with low or no conversion of 5-FC into 5-fluorouracil (5-FU), observed after oral 5-FC, resulting in decreased bone marrow toxicity...
- Role of slug in hematopoietic stem cell regenerationWen Shu Wu; Fiscal Year: 2012..is critical for suppression of blood cell repopulation after bone marrow transplantation or treatment with 5-fluorouracil (5- FU)...
- Innovative Device to Improve Safety of Preparing and Administering ChemotherapyPrasad Sunkara; Fiscal Year: 2013..in multiple pharmacy settings using two well established chemotherapy marker drugs: cyclophosphamide and fluorouracil. The Aim 3 study includes assessment of environmental surface contamination using analytic methods and will ..
- THYMIDYLATE SYNTHASE AND FLUORODEOXYURIDINE RESISTANCEFranklin G Berger; Fiscal Year: 2012..Inhibitors of TS, such as the fluoropyrimidine antimetabolite 5-fluorouracil, have been important in the chemotherapy of cancer for quite some time, and remain a mainstay in the clinical ..
- Discovering a Novel Immunophilin to Lower the Toxicity of Cancer TherapeuticsMitchell W Mutz; Fiscal Year: 2012..over 33% of patients to reduce dosages or halt chemotherapy for certain regimens (oxaliplatin, leucovorin, fluorouracil, e.g.), leading to worse therapeutic outcomes...
- Retroviral replicating vector for prodrug activator gene therapyDouglas J Jolly; Fiscal Year: 2012..cytosine deaminase (CD) which converts the prodrug 5-fluorocytosine (5-FC) into the classic chemotherapy drug 5-fluorouracil (5- FU)...
- Dietary and Lifestyle Determinants of Colon Cancer Recurrence and SurvivalCharles S Fuchs; Fiscal Year: 2011..demonstrate a significant survival advantage for individuals with stage III colon cancer who receive adjuvant fluorouracil-based chemotherapy...
- Impact of Celecoxib and Inflammation on Survival in Stage III Colon CancerCharles S Fuchs; Fiscal Year: 2013..RCTs) demonstrate a significant survival advantage for stage III colon cancer patients who receive adjuvant fluorouracil-based chemotherapy, 35-40% of stage III patients receiving current adjuvant chemotherapy still develop cancer ..
- Identifying Conserved Genetic Networks for Eukaryotic MMR GenesWinfried Edelmann; Fiscal Year: 2012..For example, while the 5-Fluorouracil (5-FU) treatment of MMR-proficient colorectal cancers results in a beneficial outcome, the same is not the case ..
- Effects of chemotherapeutic agents on learning and memory in miceELLEN ANN WALKER; Fiscal Year: 2013..Specifically, we will treat male and female mice with multiple doses of cyclophosphamide, doxorubicin, 5-fluorouracil, methotrexate, tamoxifen, and docetaxel at various time points to measure effects on acquisition, consolidation,..
- Structure and Regulation of snoRNP Interaction with rRNAHong Li; Fiscal Year: 2012..The increasing evidence that 5-fluorouracil (5-FU) is incorporated into functional RNAs necessitates investigation of its role in inhibiting ribosomal RNA ..
- Structure and function of the U3 RNA-protein complexCarl C Correll; Fiscal Year: 2010..Importantly, the effective chemotherapeutic agent 5-fluorouracil inhibits processing of the precursor ribosomal RNA (pre- rRNA), an essential step of ribosome biogenesis and ..
- The PI3K/PTEN/AKT Signal Transduction Cascade in Breast CancerAna M Gonzalez Angulo; Fiscal Year: 2010..The outcome of this project is expected to position me to submit a competitive R01 application during the fourth year of the proposed award. ..
- A Pilot Study of 5-FC and Genetically-Modified Neural Stem Cells to Treat GliomasJANA contact PORTNOW; Fiscal Year: 2010..deaminase (CD), which converts the oral prodrug 5- fluorocytosine (5-FC) to the chemotherapeutic agent 5-fluorouracil (5-FU)...
- Pancreatic Cancer: Crocetin as a Novel Therapeutic ApproachAnimesh Dhar; Fiscal Year: 2013..crocetin will enhance the efficacy of conventional chemothrapeutic agents (gemcitabine [Gemzar] and/or 5-FU [Fluorouracil]) in impairing cell proliferation and the induction of apoptosis of pancreatic cancer cells in in vitro and in ..
- Molecular Mechanism of miR-140 in Colon CancerJingfang Ju; Fiscal Year: 2013..As a result, these cells became more resistant to 5-fluorouracil (5-FU) or methotrexate (MTX) treatment...
- Molecular Correlates of Outcomes in Clinical Trials of Colon CancerPolly A Newcomb; Fiscal Year: 2013..data in over 6,500 stage II-III colon cancer patients participating in three RCTs, all of whom received 5-fluorouracil / leucovorin / oxaliplatin (FOLFOX) chemotherapy with or without adjuvant therapy, to examine associations with ..
- Human Folylpolyglutamate Synthetase and Cancer TherapeuticsRichard G Moran; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- PET Proliferation TracersJeffrey L Schwartz; Fiscal Year: 2012..will be studied under both growth and nongrowth conditions, before and after exposure to ionizing radiation, 5-fluorouracil, or paclitaxel and with both in vitro and in vivo (tumor explant) assays...
- Novel Risk Factors For Vancomycin Resistant Enterococci In Persons With CancerMini Kamboj; Fiscal Year: 2013..2) Determine the effect of commonly used chemotherapeutic agents with strong antimicrobial activity, (5-Fluorouracil and Methotrexate) upon density of VRE among colonized individuals...
- Chemotherapy dose monitoring using a wearable, microdialysis-based assay systemGEORGE SUBREBOST; Fiscal Year: 2010..is a company developing in vivo monitoring technologies that will track 5-fluorouracil (5-FU) chemotherapy levels in a patient's blood using an intravenous (IV) line...
- ABIOLOGICAL SELF-ASSEMBLYPeter J Stang; Fiscal Year: 2012..molecules, as well as the encapsulation of three diverse, widely-used commercially-available cancer drugs (fluorouracil, cyclophosphamide, doxorubicin);(b) study protein and enzyme encapsulation by pre-designed self-assembled ..
- PARP Inhibition To Enhance Induction for Head and Neck CancerStephen J Kron; Fiscal Year: 2013..advanced head and neck cancer (LAHNC) constitutes a three drug regimen consisting of a taxane, a platin, and 5-fluorouracil (TPF)...
- Image-guided Prodrug and siRNA Targeting of CancerZaver M Bhujwalla; Fiscal Year: 2013..the administration of the nontoxic prodrug 5-fluorocytosine, that is converted by the enzyme to cytotoxic 5-fluorouracil, to coincide with the presence of high concentrations of the enzyme in the tumor and low concentrations in ..
- Comparative Effectiveness of Field-Treatments for Multiple ActinicMARYAM MANDANA ASGARI; Fiscal Year: 2013..The two most widely used topical agents for the treatment of multiple AKs are 5- fluorouracil (5-FU) and imiquimod. Although visits for AKs accounts for over 3...
- Targeting of MDM2 Family Proteins in CancerJiandong Chen; Fiscal Year: 2011..P53 activation by ribosomal stress agents such as Actinomycin D (Act.D) and 5-fluorouracil (5-FU) requires down-regulation of MDMX by accelerated degradation...
- CELLULAR EFFECTS OF INHIBITION OF THYMIDYLATE SYNTHASERICHARD MORAN; Fiscal Year: 1993Inhibition of the key enzyme thymidylate synthase (TS) is a major cause of the activity of 5-fluorouracil (5-FU) as a cancer chemotherapeutic agent...
- Predictive Molecular Markers of Colorectal CancerUpender Manne; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Sustained Drug Release for AntifibrosisWeiliam Chen; Fiscal Year: 2009..13-34 5-fluorouracil and mitomycin are the most commonly utilized agents, however, the former is limited by its short duration of ..
- CONTROL OF HEMATOPOIETIC TOXICITY WITH INTERLEUKIN-1VINCENT GALLICCHIO; Fiscal Year: 1990..The drugs to be used are vinblastine, cyclophosphamide, colchicine, cytosine arabinoside, actinomycin-D, 5-fluorouracil, methotrexate and bleomycin...
- Center for Herbal Research on Colorectal CancerChun Su Yuan; Fiscal Year: 2012..further test whether the extracts potentiate the tumoricidal effects of colon cancer chemotherapeutic agents, 5-fluorouracil and irinotecan, using the cell lines and mouse model...
- TUMOR-ALIGNED COCULTURE SYSTEMGabriel Benton; Fiscal Year: 2013..this contract is to validate the model as effective by evaluating these physiological properties in response to Fluorouracil and Paclitaxel...
- Modulation of sensitivity &imaging therapeutic response of hypoxic cancer cellsWafik S El-Deiry; Fiscal Year: 2013..cells are not effectively sensitized to TRAIL under hypoxia by combination therapies that include TRAIL plus 5- Fluorouracil, TRAIL plus irinotecan, or TRAIL plus the hypoxia sensitizer Tirapazamine...
- HOSTILE ENVIRONMENTS PROMOTE INVASION AND METASTASISZaver M Bhujwalla; Fiscal Year: 2013..COX-2 expression also increased following treatment with a conventional chemotherapy agent, 5-fluorouracil. Molecular characterization and functional imaging have identified new functional roles for COX-2 that have ..
- 5-FLUOROURACIL & GLAUCOMA FILTERING SURGERYDale Heuer; Fiscal Year: 1992..safety and efficacy of subconjunctivally injected 5- FU through the continued follow-up of 213 patients in the Fluorouracil Filtering Surgery Study (FFSS)-Clinical Trial...
- 5-FLUOROURACIL & GLAUCOMA FILTERING SURGERYRichard Parrish; Fiscal Year: 1993..safety and efficacy of subconjunctivally injected 5-FU through the continued follow-up of 213 patients in the Fluorouracil Filtering Surgery Study Clinical Trial (FFSS)...
- FLUOROURACIL FILTERING SURGERY STUDYWALLACE ALWARD; Fiscal Year: 1992..safety and efficacy of subconjunctivally injected 5-FU through the continued follow-up of 213 patients in the Fluorouracil Filtering Surgery Study Clinical Trial (FFSS)...
- 5-FLUOROURACIL AND GLAUCOMA FILTERING SURGERYMICHAEL KASS; Fiscal Year: 1992..subconjunctivally injected 5-FU through the continued follow-up of 213 patients (34 in this institution) in the Fluorouracil Filtering Surgery Study Clinical Trial (FFSS)...
- ROLE AND FUNCTIONS OF PYRIMIDINES IN CANCER THERAPYGiuseppe Pizzorno; Fiscal Year: 2004..BAU) to elevate uridine concentration in plasma and normal tissues to reduce the toxic effect of 5-fluorouracil (5-FU)...
- PHARMACODYNAMIC CORRELATES IN ADVANCED GASTRIC CANCERCharles Coltman; Fiscal Year: 1992..Recent reports suggest that FAMTX chemotherapy (a combination of 5-Fluorouracil, doxorubicin, and methotrexate with leucovorin rescue) has a superior response rate and associated median ..
- NOVEL TREATMENT OF REFRACTORY GI MALIGNANCIESScott Wadler; Fiscal Year: 1999..to test a high-dose parenteral infusion of hydroxyurea (HU) incorporated into a weekly regimen with high-dose fluorouracil (5FU), interferon-alpha (IFN) and filgrastim (G) in patients with refractory GI malignancies, and to determine ..
- Molecular Correlates--Oxaliplatin/5FU/XRT, Esophageal CALakshmi Pendyala; Fiscal Year: 2002..Although cisplatin/5-fluorouracil (5FU) plus radiation (XRT) is considered standard therapy for patients with locally advanced esophageal cancer, ..
- PYRIMIDINE FLUOROENONE NUCLEOSIDE ANTICANCER AGENTSABRAHAM OLLAPALLY; Fiscal Year: 1993..project are to (1) synthesize fluoroketo unsaturated nucleosides of glucose and fluoroketo xylose with (a) 5-fluorouracil (b) cytosine (c) 6 azathymine; (2) to do a biological evaluation of these fluoro unsaturated nucleosides to ..
- PERIOPERATIVE WOUND LEAKS AFTER TRABECULECTOMY IN FFSSRichard Parrish; Fiscal Year: 1999DESCRIPTION: (Applicant's Abstract) this application proposes further analyses of data collected in the Fluorouracil Filtering Surgery Study (FFSS)...
- PRIMARY BREAST CANCER THERAPY GROUPHenry Shibata; Fiscal Year: 1980....
- Chemoresistance in Renal Cell CancerJESSIE AU; Fiscal Year: 2006..d) FGF inhibitors (suramin and/or pentosan polysulfate) enhanced the antitumor activity of 5-fluorouracil and gemcitabine in two RCC cell lines and histocultures of RCC patient tumors...