Summary: An ethanolamine derivative that is an adrenergic alpha agonist. It is used as a vasoconstrictor agent in the treatment of hypotension.
Publications183 found, 100 shown here
- Usefulness of midodrine in patients with severely symptomatic neurocardiogenic syncope: a randomized control studyA Perez-Lugones
The Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Ohio 44195, USA
J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol 12:935-8. 2001INTRODUCTION: The efficacy of midodrine for the management of patients with neurocardiogenic syncope was assessed prospectively in a randomized control study...
- Reversal of type 1 hepatorenal syndrome with the administration of midodrine and octreotideP Angeli
Department of Clinical and Experimental Medicine, University of Padua, Padova, Italy
Hepatology 29:1690-7. 1999..Five of them were treated with the oral administration of midodrine and the parenteral administration of octreotide...
- Midodrine in neurally mediated syncope: a double-blind, randomized, crossover studyHoracio Kaufmann
Department of Neurology, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY 10029, USA
Ann Neurol 52:342-5. 2002..We conducted a double-blind, randomized, crossover trial to investigate the efficacy of midodrine, a selective alpha-1 adrenergic agonist that decreases venous capacitance, in preventing neurally mediated ..
- Hemodynamic effects of midodrine after spaceflight in astronauts without orthostatic hypotensionSteven H Platts
Universities Space Research Association, Houston, TX, USA
Aviat Space Environ Med 77:429-33. 2006..The alpha-1 adrenergic agonist, midodrine, may be an effective countermeasure...
- Efficacy of midodrine vs placebo in neurogenic orthostatic hypotension. A randomized, double-blind multicenter study. Midodrine Study GroupP A Low
Department of Neurology, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn 55905, USA
JAMA 277:1046-51. 1997To evaluate the efficacy of a 10-mg dose of midodrine 3 times per day in improving blood pressure (BP) and ameliorating symptoms of orthostatic hypotension in patients with neurogenic orthostatic hypotension...
- Flow-mediated vasodilation as a predictor of therapeutic response to midodrine hydrochloride in children with postural orthostatic tachycardia syndromeYing Liao
Department of Pediatrics, Peking University First Hospital, Beijing 100034, People s Republic of China
Am J Cardiol 112:816-20. 2013..was designed to explore the value of flow-mediated vasodilation (FMD) as a predictor of therapeutic response to midodrine hydrochloride (MD) in children with postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS)...
- Postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome with increased erythrocytic hydrogen sulfide and response to midodrine hydrochlorideJinyan Yang
Department of Pediatrics, Peking University First Hospital, Beijing, PR China
J Pediatr 163:1169-73.e2. 2013To evaluate the use of erythrocytic hydrogen sulfide (H2S) in predicting the therapeutic efficacy of midodrine hydrochloride for children with postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS).
- Midodrine in patients with cirrhosis and refractory or recurrent ascites: a randomized pilot studyVirendra Singh
Department of Hepatology, Postgraduate Institute of Medical Education and Research, Chandigarh, India
J Hepatol 56:348-54. 2012..The aim of this study was to evaluate the effects of long term administration of midodrine on systemic hemodynamics, renal function, and control of ascites in patients with cirrhosis and refractory or ..
- Midregional pro-adrenomedullin as a predictor for therapeutic response to midodrine hydrochloride in children with postural orthostatic tachycardia syndromeFengwen Zhang
Department of Pediatrics, Peking University First Hospital, Beijing, China
J Am Coll Cardiol 60:315-20. 2012..designed to explore the predictive value of the midregional fragment of pro-adrenomedullin (MR-proADM) in assessing the therapeutic efficacy of midodrine hydrochloride for children with postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS).
- A case of neurally mediated syncope induced by laughter successfully treated with combination of propranolol and midodrineMakoto Amaki
Division of Hypertension and Nephrology, Department of Medicine, National Cardiovascular Center, Suita, Osaka, Japan
Int Heart J 48:123-7. 2007..His daughter also had NMS and her syncope was treated with propranolol. Propranolol and midodrine hydrochloride, an alpha(1)-adrenergic stimulant, were effective at preventing his laughter-induced syncope...
- Midodrine appears to be safe and effective for dialysis-induced hypotension: a systematic reviewSuma Prakash
London Health Sciences Centre, University of Western Ontario, London, Ontario, Canada, N6A 5A5
Nephrol Dial Transplant 19:2553-8. 2004Dialysis-induced hypotension is an important complication of haemodialysis. Midodrine is an oral alpha-1 agonist that has been used in several small studies to prevent intradialytic hypotension (IDH).
- Midodrine hydrochloride is effective in the treatment of children with postural orthostatic tachycardia syndromeLi Chen
Department of Pediatrics, Peking University First Hospital, Beijing, China
Circ J 75:927-31. 2011The study was carried out to examine the effect of selective α1 adrenoceptor agonist midodrine hydrochloride vs. β-adrenergic blockade metoprolol in the treatment of children with postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS).
- Transport characteristics of a novel peptide transporter 1 substrate, antihypotensive drug midodrine, and its amino acid derivativesMasahiro Tsuda
Department of Pharmacy, Kyoto University Hospital, Sakyo ku, Kyoto 606 8507, Japan
J Pharmacol Exp Ther 318:455-60. 2006b>Midodrine is an oral drug for orthostatic hypotension...
- Outcomes in adolescents with postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome treated with midodrine and beta-blockersCindy C Lai
Department of Pharmacy, Mayop Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
Pacing Clin Electrophysiol 32:234-8. 2009..The effects of medical therapy have not been well studied in this patient population. This study assessed the relative efficacy and impact of drug therapy on the functioning and quality of life in adolescents with POTS...
- Octreotide/Midodrine therapy significantly improves renal function and 30-day survival in patients with type 1 hepatorenal syndromeEric Esrailian
Division of Digestive Diseases, David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, USA
Dig Dis Sci 52:742-8. 2007..We compared the survival of HRS patients who received octreotide and midodrine treatment at Rancho Los Amigos Medical Center with a concurrent untreated control group of HRS patients who did ..
- The effects of chronic treatment with octreotide versus octreotide plus midodrine on systemic hemodynamics and renal hemodynamics and function in nonazotemic cirrhotic patients with ascitesGeorgios Kalambokis
Department of Internal Medicine, Medical School, Ioannina, Greece
Am J Gastroenterol 100:879-85. 2005The adrenergic agonist midodrine improved circulatory and renal dysfunction when acutely administered in nonazotemic cirrhotic patients with ascites while its combination with octreotide has recently been proposed as an effective ..
- Effects of a 7-day treatment with midodrine in non-azotemic cirrhotic patients with and without ascitesGeorgios Kalambokis
1st Division of Internal Medicine and Hepatogastroenterology Unit, University Hospital, Ioannina, Greece
J Hepatol 46:213-21. 2007..This study evaluated the effects of a 7-day treatment with the alpha1-adrenergic agonist midodrine in non-azotemic cirrhotic patients with and without ascites.
- Midodrine, octreotide, albumin, and TIPS in selected patients with cirrhosis and type 1 hepatorenal syndromeFlorence Wong
Division of Gastroenterology, Department of Medicine, Toronto General Hospital, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Hepatology 40:55-64. 2004..type 1 HRS in ascitic cirrhotic patients, following improvement in systemic hemodynamics with a combination of midodrine, octreotide, and albumin (medical treatment)...
- Treatment of vasodepressor carotid sinus syndrome with midodrine: a randomized, controlled pilot studyAllan Moore
Clinical Age Assessment Unit, Mid Western Regional Hospital, Dooradoyle, Limerick, Ireland
J Am Geriatr Soc 53:114-8. 2005To evaluate the efficacy of treatment of the vasodepressor form of carotid sinus hypersensitivity (carotid sinus syndrome (CSS)) with midodrine.
- Midodrine in the prevention of hepatorenal syndrome type 2 recurrence: a case-control studyC Alessandria
Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, San Giovanni Battista Hospital, Turin, Italy
Dig Liver Dis 41:298-302. 2009..b>Midodrine, an oral adrenergic vasoconstrictor, has been suggested to be an effective therapy in hepatorenal syndrome.
- Combination treatment with octreotide, midodrine, and albumin improves survival in patients with type 1 and type 2 hepatorenal syndromeCatherine Skagen
Section of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Department of Medicine, University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health, Madison, WI 53792, USA
J Clin Gastroenterol 43:680-5. 2009Few therapeutic modalities exist for the treatment of hepatorenal syndrome (HRS). The combination of octreotide, midodrine, and albumin has shown possible benefit in small preliminary studies in improving renal function and short-term ..
- Midodrine and octreotide in treatment of cirrhosis-related hemodynamic complicationsRakhi Karwa
Harrison School of Pharmacy, Auburn University, AL, USA
Ann Pharmacother 43:692-9. 2009To review studies evaluating the use of midodrine and octreotide in hemodynamic complications of cirrhosis, including ascites and hepatorenal syndrome.
- The effect of 1 month of therapy with midodrine, octreotide-LAR and albumin in refractory ascites: a pilot studyPuneeta Tandon
Department of Medicine, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Liver Int 29:169-74. 2009..We hypothesized that a combination of midodrine, octreotide long-acting release (LAR) and albumin would result in increased natriuresis, better control of ..
- Midodrine for the management of orthostatic hypotension in patients with spinal cord injury: A case reportJ Mukand
Southern New England Rehabilitation Center, Department of Orthopedics and Rehabilitation, Brown University, Providence, RI, USA
Arch Phys Med Rehabil 82:694-6. 2001..Severe orthostatic hypotension in the upright position complicated the patient's rehabilitation program. Midodrine was prescribed, and other medications with possible adverse effects were adjusted...
- Treatment of Severe Intradialytic Hypotension With the Addition of High Dialysate Calcium Concentration to Midodrine and/or Cool DialysateR Alappan
Section of Nephrology, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT, USA
Am J Kidney Dis 37:294-9. 2001..Cool dialysate (34.5 degrees C to 35.5 degrees C) and midodrine may provide hemodynamic stability through an increase in peripheral vascular resistance, whereas high dialysate ..
- The efficacy of midodrine hydrochloride in the treatment of children with vasovagal syncopeZhang Qingyou
Department of Pediatrics and Institute of Cardiovascular Research, Peking University First Hospital and Key Laboratory of Molecular Cardiovascular Sciences, Ministry of Education, People s Republic of China
J Pediatr 149:777-80. 2006To determine whether midodrine hydrochloride therapy can prevent vasovagal syncope (VVS) in pediatric patients.
- Successful treatment of chronic fatigue syndrome with midodrine: a pilot studyJ E Naschitz
Clin Exp Rheumatol 21:416-7. 2003
- Why is orthostatic tolerance lower in women than in men? Renal and cardiovascular responses to simulated microgravity and the role of midodrineS Marlene Grenon
Division of Endocrinology, Hypertension and Diabetes, Brigham and Women s Hospital, 221 Longwood Avenue, Boston, MA 02115, USA
J Investig Med 54:180-90. 2006..We assessed the renal, cardioendocrine, and cardiovascular responses of women and men to simulated microgravity to examine the impact of gender on OI...
- Midodrine: a selective alpha-adrenergic agonist for orthostatic hypotension and dialysis hypotensionD N Cruz
Section of Nephrology, Department of Medicine, Yale University School of Medicine, 333 Cedar Street LMP 2071, New Haven, CT 06520 8029, USA
Expert Opin Pharmacother 1:835-40. 2000b>Midodrine is an oral agent which acts as a selective peripherally-acting alpha-receptor agonist...
- Double-blinded, placebo-controlled trial of midodrine for exercise performance enhancement in tetraplegia: a pilot studyEdward C Nieshoff
Rehabilitation Institute of Michigan, Detroit, Michigan, USA
J Spinal Cord Med 27:219-25. 2004..to engage in physical activity improves with elevation of blood pressure through pharmacologic treatment: Midodrine, an oral alpha-sympathomimetic agent, has been shown to be safe and efficacious for this purpose...
- Comment on "Midodrine hydrochloride and L-threo-3,4-dihydroxy-phenylserine preserve cerebral blood flow in hemodialysis patients with orthostatic hypotension" by Fujisaki et alVijay Sharma
Ther Apher Dial 11:407-8. 2007
- Effect of mineralocorticoids on interdialytic weight gain in hemodialysis patients with perdialytic hypotensionLucile Mercadal
Hopital Pitie Salpetriere, 83 bd de l hopital, Paris, France
Hemodial Int 9:338-40. 2005..We report 2 patients who suffered from chronic severe perdialytic hypotension resistant to midodrine and who were treated in a long-term period with fludrocortisone...
- Beneficial haemodynamic and renal sodium handling effects of combined midodrine and octreotide treatment in a cirrhotic patient with large hepatic hydrothorax and mild ascitesGeorgios Kalambokis
Nephrol Dial Transplant 20:2583. 2005
- Midodrine: insidious development of urologic adverse effects in patients with spinal cord injury: a report of 2 casesSubramanian Vaidyanathan
Regional Spinal Injuries Centre, District General Hospital, Southport, United Kingdom
Adv Ther 24:712-20. 2007b>Midodrine, a prodrug, is converted after oral administration into its active drug, desglymidodrine, which acts as an alpha(1)-adrenoceptor stimulant...
- Effects of midodrine on exercise-induced hypotension and blood pressure recovery in autonomic failureWilliam G Schrage
Department of Anesthesia Research, Joseph 4 184W, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
J Appl Physiol (1985) 97:1978-84. 2004We tested the hypothesis that the oral alpha1-adrenergic agonist, midodrine, would limit the fall in arterial pressure observed during exercise in patients with pure autonomic failure (PAF)...
- Prolonged supine hypertension due to midodrine use in an orthostatic hypotensive childS Olgar
Department of Pediatric Cardiology, Istanbul University, Istanbul Faculty of Medicine, 34390, Capa, Istanbul, Turkey
Pediatr Cardiol 28:309-10. 2007b>Midodrine hydrochloride is a potent peripherally-acting alpha1 agonist that is well absorbed and rapidly metabolized to its active metabolite...
- Midodrine prevents orthostatic intolerance associated with simulated spaceflightC D Ramsdell
Department of Anesthesia and Critical Care, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts 02114, USA
J Appl Physiol 90:2245-8. 2001..study (an analog of weightlessness) using normal human volunteers and administered the alpha(1)-agonist drug midodrine at the end of the bed-rest period...
- Orthostatic hypotension in the elderly: diagnosis and treatmentVishal Gupta
Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Hebrew SeniorLife, and Harvard Medical School, Boston, Mass 02131, USA
Am J Med 120:841-7. 2007..remains persistently symptomatic, various pharmacotherapeutic agents can be added, including fludrocortisone, midodrine, and nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs...
- [Successful midodrin treatment for vasovagal syncopes accompanied by asystole]A V Pevzner
Klin Med (Mosk) 82:53-6. 2004..On the basis of the pathogenesis of WS, the use of alpha-adrenomimetic midodrine is justifiable...
- Blood pressure changes during sexual stimulation, ejaculation and midodrine treatment in men with spinal cord injuryFrédérique J Courtois
Department of Sexology, Universite du Quebec a Montreal, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
BJU Int 101:331-7. 2008To explore the effectiveness of various sources of self-stimulation, including oral midodrine, in triggering ejaculation in men with spinal cord injury (SCI), and to document the systematic variations in blood pressure at ejaculation and ..
- Stress induced hypotension in pure autonomic failureR D Thijs
Department of Neurology and Clinical Neurophysiology, Leiden University Medical Centre, PO Box 9600, 2300 RC Leiden, The Netherlands
J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 77:552-3. 2006..During a tilt table test, hyperventilation was shown to cause a significant fall of blood pressure. This suggests that emotional stress can induce hypotension, probably through hyperventilation, in subjects with autonomic failure...
- [Sjögren's syndrome with autonomic failure and epilepsy]H Attout
Service de Medecine Interne, CHU Pellegrin, 33000 Bordeaux, France
Rev Med Interne 26:141-4. 2005..Neurological complications may affect the peripheral nervous system and to lesser extent the central nervous system. Autonomic system nervous dysfunction and epilepsy have been rarely reported...
- Midodrine improves ejaculation in spinal cord injured menJ M Soler
Laboratoire d urodynamique et de sexologie, Centre Bouffard Vercelli, Cap Peyrefite, Cerbère, France
J Urol 178:2082-6. 2007We evaluated the effect of the alpha1-adrenergic agonist midodrine given orally for anejaculation in spinal cord injured men.
- Vasoconstrictor therapy for patients with cirrhosis with ascites but without hepatorenal syndromeGeorgios N Kalambokis
Hepatology 48:686. 2008
- Adverse drug reactions related to drugs used in orthostatic hypotension: a prospective and systematic pharmacovigilance study in FranceAtul Pathak
Service de Pharmacologie Clinique, centre Midi Pyrénées de pharmacovigilance, de Pharmacoepidemiologie et d Informations sur le Medicament, Hopitaux de Toulouse, 37 Allees Jules Guesde, 31073, Toulouse Cedex 7, France
Eur J Clin Pharmacol 61:471-4. 2005..The aim of the present study was to investigate and characterise adverse drug reactions (ADRs) to drugs used in France for orthostatic hypotension (OH)...
- Consequences of cardiovascular adaptation to spaceflight: implications for the use of pharmacological countermeasuresVictor A Convertino
U S Army Institute of Surgical Research, Fort Sam Houston, Texas 78234 6513, USA
Gravit Space Biol Bull 18:59-69. 2005..g., fludrocortisone, electrolyte-containing beverages) and reserve for vasoconstriction (e.g., midodrine, vasopressin)...
- Chiral investigation of midodrine, a long-acting alpha-adrenergic stimulating agentM G Quaglia
Dipartimento di Studi Farmaceutici, Universita La Sapienza, Rome, Italy
Chirality 16:356-62. 2004b>Midodrine hydrochloride is a peripheral alpha(1)-adrenoreceptor agonist that induces venous and arterial vasoconstriction...
- N-[3-(1H-imidazol-4-ylmethyl)phenyl]ethanesulfonamide (ABT-866, 1),(1) a novel alpha(1)-adrenoceptor ligand with an enhanced in vitro and in vivo profile relative to phenylpropanolamine and midodrineRobert J Altenbach
Neuroscience Research, Global Pharmaceutical Research and Development, Abbott Laboratories, 100 Abbott Park Road, Abbott Park, Illinois 60064, USA
J Med Chem 45:4395-7. 2002..4) and alpha(1D) (rat aorta, pA(2) = 6.2) antagonism. An in vivo dog model showed 1 to be more selective for the urethra over the vasculature than A-61603 (2), ST-1059 (3, the active metabolite of midodrine), and phenylpropanolamine (4).
- Pandysautonomia associated with impaired ganglionic neurotransmission and circulating antibody to the neuronal nicotinic receptorDavid S Goldstein
Building 10, Room 6N252, Clinical Neurocardiology Section, National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke, Bethesda, MD, USA
Clin Auton Res 12:281-5. 2002..The findings in this case support the concept that circulating antibodies to this receptor can interfere with ganglionic neurotransmission and produce autoimmune autonomic neuropathy...
- [Effects of midodrine on symptomatic hypotension during hemodialysis]Alejandro Cotera
Unidad de Atención Nefrológica Continua, Seccion de Nefrologia, Departamento de Medicina, Hospital Clinico Universidad de Chile
Rev Med Chil 130:1009-13. 2002..Hypotension occurs in 20% of hemodialysis procedures...
- Midodrine, an alternative to intravenous vasopressor therapy after spinal surgeryB O'DONNELL
Eur J Anaesthesiol 19:841-2. 2002
- Recurrent syncope in a 31-year-old army staff sergeantThomas M Wiley
Department of Medicine and Cardiology Service, Walter Reed Army Medical Center, Washington, DC, USA
Mil Med 167:263-5. 2002
- Determination of midodrine in human plasma by high-performance liquid chromatography with fluorescence detectionHideyuki Yoshida
Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Fukuoka University, Nanakuma, Johnan, Fukuoka 814 0180, Japan
Anal Sci 19:317-9. 2003..and sensitive fluorometric high-performance liquid chromatographic method was developed for the determination of midodrine in human plasma...
- Atrial septal aneurysm with right-to-left interatrial shuntingMala Chidambaram
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada R2H 2A6
Tex Heart Inst J 30:68-70. 2003..In this patient, we used midodrine, an oral alpha-1 agonist, to increase systemic arterial pressure, decrease the severity of the shunt, and treat ..
- [Treatment of ejaculation disorders]J M Soler
Ann Readapt Med Phys 48:41-2. 2005
- Hemodynamics in patients with intradialytic hypotension treated with cool dialysate or midodrineHeidi Hoeben
Section of Nephrology, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT 06520 8029, USA
Am J Kidney Dis 39:102-7. 2002Cool dialysate and midodrine have been used successfully to treat intradialytic hypotension (IDH) in the end-stage renal disease population...
- [Vasoconstrictors in the treatment of hepatorenal syndrome]R Ortega
Unitat d Hepatologia, Institut de Malalties Digestives, Hospital Clinic, Barcelona
Nefrologia 22:56-61. 2002
- Randomized double-blind placebo-controlled multicenter evaluation of efficacy and dose finding of midodrine hydrochloride in women with mild to moderate stress urinary incontinence: a phase II studyE H Weil
University Hospital Maastricht, The Netherlands
Int Urogynecol J Pelvic Floor Dysfunct 9:145-50. 1998b>Midodrine is a potent and selective alpha1-receptor agonist and its potential to increase urethral closure pressure could be useful in the treatment of female stress incontinence...
- Randomized clinical trials of neurally mediated syncopeMichele Brignole
Arrhythmologic Centre, Department of Cardiology, Ospedali del Tigullio, Lavagna, Italy
J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol 14:S64-9. 2003..disopyramide, scopolamine, clonidine, theophylline, fludrocortisone, ephedrine, dihydroergotamine, etilefrine, midodrine, clonidine, serotonin reuptake inhibitors, enalapril)...
- Vasoconstrictor therapy for hepatorenal syndrome in liver cirrhosisL E Schmidt
Department of Hepatology, Rigshospitalet, Copenhagen University Hospital, Blegdamsvej 9, DK 2100 Copenhagen, Denmark
Curr Pharm Des 12:4637-47. 2006..Several vasoconstrictors including the alpha-adrenergic agonists, midodrine and noradrenalin, and the vasopressor analogues, ornipressin and terlipressin, have all been associated with a ..
- Characterisation of the functional alpha-adrenoceptor subtype in the isolated female pig urethraP Alberts
Department of Pharmacology, Pharmacia and Upjohn, Uppsala, Sweden
Eur J Pharmacol 371:31-8. 1999..68), oxymetazoline (0.60), dopamine (0.50), clonidine (0.43), midodrine (0.32), ephedrine (0.30), 5-bromo-N-(4,5-dihydro-1H-imidazol-2-yl)-6-quinoxalinamine (UK 14,304) (0...
- [Orthostatic hypotension and supine hypertension in pure autonomic failure]Michelangelo Sartori
Clinica Medica 4, Dipartimento di Medicina Clinica e Sperimentale, Universita degli Studi, Padova
Ital Heart J Suppl 5:879-83. 2004..Primary autonomic failure exhibits, often, supine hypertension, that can be worsened by pressor agents, such as midodrine, used to prevent syncope episodes...
- Contrasting actions of pressor agents in severe autonomic failureJ Jordan
Clinical Research Center, Franz Volhard Clinic, Berlin, Germany
Am J Med 105:116-24. 1998..Orthostatic hypotension is the most disabling symptom of autonomic failure. The choice of a pressor agent is largely empiric, and it would be of great value to define predictors of a response...
- Orthostatic hypotension in patients with Parkinson's disease: pathophysiology and managementJ M Senard
Laboratory of Medical and Clinical Pharmacology, INSERM U317, Faculty of Medicine, Paul Sabatier University, Toulouse, France
Drugs Aging 18:495-505. 2001..Among the available drugs, alpha1-adrenergic agonists (mainly midodrine) or plasma volume expanders (mainly fludrocortisone) are the most frequently used...
- Combined immunomodulatory therapy in autoimmune autonomic ganglionopathyChristopher H Gibbons
Autonomic and Peripheral Nerve Laboratory, Department of Neurology, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, 1 Deaconess Road, Boston, MA 02215, USA
Arch Neurol 65:213-7. 2008..Symptomatic and immunomodulatory therapy has provided limited clinical benefit in small uncontrolled studies...
- Ascites and spontaneous bacterial peritonitis: an Asian perspectiveJung Min Lee
Department of Internal Medicine, Brain Korea 21 Project for Medical Science, Seoul, South Korea
J Gastroenterol Hepatol 24:1494-503. 2009..medical therapy have been made with satavaptan, a V2 receptor antagonist, vasoconstrictors, such as clonidine, midodrine, or terlipressin, and other categories of drugs, including docarpamine and Chinese herbs...
- Strategy for the management of vasovagal syncopeDaniel M Bloomfield
Division of Cardiology, Department of Medicine, College of Physicians and Surgeons, Columbia University, New York, New York 10032, USA
Drugs Aging 19:179-202. 2002..Data from randomised placebo-controlled studies support the efficacy of beta-blockers, midodrine, serotonin reuptake inhibitors and ACE inhibitors...
- Drug treatment of orthostatic hypotension because of autonomic failure or neurocardiogenic syncopeMaxime Lamarre-Cliche
Hôpital Européen Georges Pompidou Centre d Investigations Cliniques, Paris, France
Am J Cardiovasc Drugs 2:23-35. 2002..In patients with orthostatic hypotension because of autonomic failure, alpha-adrenoceptor agonists, and midodrine in particular, have been shown to increase standing blood pressure and decrease orthostatic symptoms...
- Treatment of vasovagal syncope: an updateLuciana Armaganijan
Arrhythmia and Pacing Service, McMaster University HHSC PHRI, 237 Barton Street East, David Bradley CVSRI, Room C3 120, Hamilton, ON, Canada, L8L 2X2
Curr Treat Options Cardiovasc Med 12:472-88. 2010..b>Midodrine is the only drug proven to prevent VVS recurrence; however, no consistent prescription guidelines exist...
- The use of vasoconstrictors in patients with cirrhosis: type 1 HRS and beyondRichard Moreau
INSERM, U773, Centre de Recherche Biomedicale Bichat Beaujon CRB3, and Service d Hépatologie, Hopital Beaujon, Clichy, France
Hepatology 43:385-94. 2006..and systemic) vasoconstrictors such as terlipressin (a vasopressin analog) or alpha-1-adrenoceptor agonists (midodrine or noradrenaline) may improve renal function in patients with type 1 HRS...
- [Pharmacotherapy of stress incontinence]W H Jost
Fachbereich Neurologie und Klinische Neurophysiologie, Deutsche Klinik fur Diagnostik, Wiesbaden
Dtsch Med Wochenschr 130:2337-42. 2005..a-Adrenergics, such as phenylpropanolamine and midodrine, and b-adrenergics, such as clenbuterol, are also used in "off-label" therapy...
- [Cardiovascular disorders in Parkinson's disease]R Suárez-Moro
Hospital Valle del Nalon, Langreo, Asturias, Espana
Rev Neurol 50:S59-63. 2010....
- Octreotide for orthostatic hypotensionM Lamarre-Cliche
Clinical Pharmacology, Centre Hospitalier de l Universite de Montreal CHUM, Canada
Can J Clin Pharmacol 6:213-5. 1999..Because the disease was progressively refractory to fludrocortisone and midodrine, octreotide was introduced subcutaneously (25 micrograms before meals)...
- Ergotamine use in severe diabetic autonomic neuropathyV Toh
Oxford Centre of Diabetes, Endocrinology and Metabolism, Churchill Hospital, Oxford, UK
Diabet Med 23:574-6. 2006..When it does occur, it can prove debilitating and difficult to treat. We report here the therapeutic challenges encountered in managing a patient with severe postural hypotension secondary to diabetes-related autonomic neuropathy...
- [Arterial hypertension with orthostatic hypotension]B Krahulec
II interná klinika Lekárskej fakulty UK a UN Bratislava, Slovenska republika
Vnitr Lek 56:951-4. 2010..AH with OH can be treated with short-acting antihypertensive drugs, eventually with transdermal nitroglycerin. OH can be treated with clonidine, midodrine, fludrocortisone or beta1-blocker.
- L-DOPS therapy for refractory orthostatic hypotension in autoimmune autonomic neuropathyChristopher H Gibbons
Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Boston, MA 02215, USA
Neurology 65:1104-6. 2005..She presented with severe orthostatic intolerance refractory to treatment with midodrine, fludrocortisone, erythropoietin, vasopressin, salt, and fluid loading...
- Current management of syncope : focus on drug therapyDeviprasad Venugopal
Department of Medicine, University of Minnesota Medical Center, Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
Am J Cardiovasc Drugs 7:399-411. 2007..Various drugs may play a role as second-line of treatment. However, apart from midodrine, randomized studies of drug therapy are largely lacking, and most agents have not proved to be predictably ..
- Acute renal failure in patients with cirrhosis: perspectives in the age of MELDRichard Moreau
Laboratoire d Hémodynamique Splanchnique et de Biologie Vasculaire, INSERM U 481, Clichy, France
Hepatology 37:233-43. 2003..Systemic vasoconstrictor therapy (with terlipressin, noradrenaline, or midodrine [combined with octreotide]) may improve renal function in patients with type 1 HRS waiting for liver ..
- Hepatorenal syndrome: current managementFlorence Wong
Toronto General Hospital, University of Toronto, Ninth Floor, North Wing, Room 983, 200 Elizabeth Street, Toronto M5G 2C4, Ontario, Canada
Curr Gastroenterol Rep 10:22-9. 2008..Vasoconstrictors (eg, midodrine, terlipressin, or norepinephrine) together with albumin can improve the effective arterial blood volume with ..
- Management of hepatorenal syndromeP A McCormick
National Liver Transplant Unit, St Vincent s University Hospital, Elm Park, Donnybrook, Dublin 4, Ireland
Pharmacol Ther 119:1-6. 2008..Agents currently used include the vasopressin analogues terlipressin and the alpha1-adrenoceptor agonist midodrine. The somatostatin analogue octreotide has been used in combination therapy but is ineffective as monotherapy...
- Diagnosis and treatment of acute renal failure in patients with cirrhosisRichard Moreau
INSERM, U773, Centre de Recherche Biomedicale Bichat Beaujon CRB3, and Service d Hépatologie, Hopital Beaujon, 92118 Clichy, France
Best Pract Res Clin Gastroenterol 21:111-23. 2007..terlipressin (combined with intravenous human albumin), noradrenaline (combined with albumin and furosemide) or midodrine (combined with octreotide and albumin) may improve renal function in patients with type 1 HRS waiting for liver ..
- Isolated sympathetic failure with autoimmune autonomic ganglionopathyPhilip R Fischer
Division of General Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
Pediatr Neurol 43:287-90. 2010..with aggressive symptomatic interventions (permanent pacemaker implantation and treatment with pyridostigmine, midodrine, and modafinil)...
- EFNS guidelines on the diagnosis and management of orthostatic hypotensionH Lahrmann
Neurological Department and L Boltzmann Institute for Neurooncology, Kaiser Franz Josef Hospital, Vienna, Austria
Eur J Neurol 13:930-6. 2006..Fludrocortisone is a valuable starter drug. Second line drugs include sympathomimetics, such as midodrine, ephedrine, or dihydroxyphenylserine. Supine hypertension has to be considered.
- [Modern management of vasovagal syncope]P Djiane
Departement de Cardiologie, CHU Marseille, Hopital de la Timone, 13385 Marseille Cedex
Arch Mal Coeur Vaiss 99:49-52. 2006..In these severe and disabling forms, the doctor has to make a choice between empirical prescibing, preferably midodrine, and a more rational strategy guided by an intercritical recording obtained with an implanted ECG monitor which ..
- Management and therapy of vasovagal syncope: A reviewMuhammet Ali Aydin
Muhammet Ali Aydin, Tushar V Salukhe, Iris Wilke, Stephan Willems, Department of Electrophysiology, University Heart Center Hamburg, Martinistrase 52, Hamburg 20246, Germany
World J Cardiol 2:308-15. 2010..syncope and discusses the non-pharmacological and pharmacological treatment options, especially the use of midodrine and selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors...
- Dysautonomia and neurocardiogenic syncopeK A McLeod
Department of Cardiology, Royal Hospital for Sick Children, Yorkhill NHS Trust, Glasgow, UK
Curr Opin Cardiol 16:92-6. 2001..If symptoms are troublesome, Fludrocortisone and B-blockers remain the favored drugs. The efficacy of Midodrine and Serotonin Uptake Inhibitors is currently under review...
- Neurocardiogenic syncope in children : current concepts in diagnosis and managementMartial Massin
Division of Pediatric Cardiology, University of Liège at Regional Hospital Centre La Citadelle, Liege, Belgium
Paediatr Drugs 5:327-34. 2003..time, beta-adrenergic receptor blockers, fludrocortisone, and also specific serotonin reuptake inhibitors and midodrine, appear to be favored treatment options...
- Oral-based controlled release formulations using poly(acrylic acid) microgelsMarie Wahlgren
Division of Food Technology, Department of Food Engineering, Lund University, Lund, Sweden
Drug Dev Ind Pharm 35:922-9. 2009..To investigate the release of hydrophobic and hydrophilic substances from tablets containing Pemulen and Carbopol as excipients...
- Dialysis induced hypotension--a serious clinical problem in renal replacement therapyWładysław Sułowicz
Department of Nephrology, Jagiellonian University, Krakow, Poland
Med Pregl 60:14-20. 2007..g. midodrine, caffeine, vasopressin analogues)...
- Neurological complications of chronic kidney diseaseArun V Krishnan
Translational Neuroscience Facility, School of Medical Sciences, University of New South Wales, Sydney, NSW, Australia
Nat Rev Neurol 5:542-51. 2009..For patients with autonomic neuropathy, specific treatments, including sildenafil for impotence and midodrine for intradialytic hypotension, are effective and well tolerated...
- Chronic hypotension in the dialysis patientAleix Cases
Division of Nephrology, Clinic and Provincial Hospital, IDIBAPS, University of Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain
J Nephrol 15:331-5. 2002..The treatment of this complication is not well defined and the measures recommended (contention in the lower limbs or the sympathomimetic agent midodrine) are of limited benefit.
- Arterial hypertension, a tricky side of Parkinson's disease: physiopathology and therapeutic featuresAlberto Mazza
Department of Internal Medicine, Santa Maria della Misericordia Hospital, Rovigo, Italy
Neurol Sci 34:621-7. 2013..e., fludrocortisone acetate, midodrine) or PD itself (i.e., monoamine oxidase inhibitors, dopamine D2-receptor antagonists)...
- Calf venous compliance in multiple system atrophyA Lipp
Autonomic Reflex Laboratory, Department of Neurology, Mayo Foundation, 200 First Street SW, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 293:H260-5. 2007..The response to the directly acting alpha-adrenergic stimulation (10 mg midodrine) on calf venous compliance was additionally evaluated...
- [Evaluation of the management of erectile and ejaculatory dysfunction in a series of 90 patients with spinal cord injuries]N Hadiji
Centre Bouffard vercelli Cap Peyrefite, 66290 Cerbère, France Electronic address
Prog Urol 23:1489-93. 2013..To evaluate the erectile dysfunction and ejaculatory on patients injured in conus medullaris (CMI) and the efficacy of treatment...
- [Therapies for postural tachycardia syndrome in children]Feng Wen Zhang
Department of Pediatrics, Peking University First Hospital, Beijing 100034, China
Zhonghua Er Ke Za Zhi 49:428-32. 2011..compare the short-term and long-term effects of oral rehydration salts, oral rehydration salts plus metoprolol or oral rehydration salts plus midodrine hydrochloride on the treatment of postural tachycardia syndrome (POTS) in children.
- Severe transient hypertension after greater palatine foramen block in a patient taking midodrineMark D Rizzi
Children s Hospital of Philadelphia, Philadelphia, PA, USA
Am J Otolaryngol 31:67-9. 2010..occurring within 2 minutes of injection of 1% lidocaine with 1:100,000 U of epinephrine in a patient taking midodrine for orthostatic hypotension...
- [Efficacy of midodrine hydrochloride in the treatment of children with vasovagal syncope]Xiao Yan Liu
Department of Cardiovascular Pediatrics, Second Xiangya Hospital, Institute of Pediatrics, Central South University, Changsha 410011, China
Zhonghua Yi Xue Za Zhi 89:1951-4. 2009To explore the efficacy of midodrine hydrochloride in the treatment of vasovagal syncope (VVS) in children.
- Assessment of therapeutic biomarkers in the treatment of children with postural tachycardia syndrome and vasovagal syncopeJing Lin
Department of Pediatrics Peking University First Hospital, Beijing, China
Cardiol Young 24:792-6. 2014..The supplementation with water, or salt, or midodrine, or β-blocker was applied to children with postural tachycardia syndrome or vasovagal syncope...
- The combination of octreotide and midodrine is not superior to albumin in preventing recurrence of ascites after large-volume paracentesisKhurram Bari
Digestive Diseases, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT 06516, USA
Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 10:1169-75. 2012..Vasoconstrictors could be used instead of albumin and, with longer use, prevent PCD and delay ascites recurrence...
- Refractory hypotension after bilateral nephrectomies in a Denys-Drash patient with phenylketonuriaAmanda B Hassinger
Department of Pediatrics, Division of Critical Care Medicine, Women and Children s Hospital of Buffalo, 219 Bryant Street, Buffalo, NY 14222, USA
Pediatr Nephrol 28:345-8. 2013....
- Effects of midodrine hydrochloride on blood pressure and cerebral blood flow during orthostasis in persons with chronic tetraplegiaJill M Wecht
James J Peters Veterans Administration Medical Center, Bronx, NY, USA
Arch Phys Med Rehabil 91:1429-35. 2010To determine the mean arterial pressure (MAP) and middle cerebral artery mean blood flow velocity (MFV) responses to 5 and 10mg midodrine during head-up tilt (HUT) in persons with tetraplegia.
- OTOLITH INFLUENCES ON SYMPATHETIC ACTIVITYHoracio Kaufmann; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- Circulatory Dysfunction in Chronic Fatigue SyndromeJulian Stewart; Fiscal Year: 2004..CFS patients will be treated with midodrine or placebo in a cross-over study...
- CIRRHOSIS AND ITS COMPLICATIONSGuadalupe Garcia Tsao; Fiscal Year: 2009..Garcia-Tsao has now received funding to evaluate the effect of a combination of vasoconstrictors ooctreotide+midodrine) as alternative to albumin after large-volume paracentesis...
- PHARMACOLOGIC PROBES IN NEURALLY-MEDIATED SYNCOPEItalo Biaggioni; Fiscal Year: 2003..These studies will be directly applicable to the evaluation and treatment of patients with these incapacitating disorders. ..
- Adenosine and Nitric Oxide DeficiencyItalo Biaggioni; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- Autonomic Nervous System in Chronic Fatigue SyndromeItalo Biaggioni; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- Carbidopa for the treatment of nausea and vomiting in familial dysautonomiaIND #Horacio Kaufmann; Fiscal Year: 2010..Their long-term goal is to treat nausea effectively and without side effects, a therapeutic intervention that will markedly improve the quality of life of patients with FD. ..
- T Wave Alternans and Repolarization AbnormalitiesDaniel Bloomfield; Fiscal Year: 2003....