- Genetic variation in IL28B predicts hepatitis C treatment-induced viral clearance
Institute for Genome Sciences and Policy, Center for Human Genome Variation, Duke University, Durham, North Carolina 27708, USA
Nature 461:399-401. 2009
- Boceprevir for untreated chronic HCV genotype 1 infection
Cedars Sinai Medical Center, Los Angeles, CA 90048, USA
N Engl J Med 364:1195-206. 2011
..The rate of sustained virologic response has been below 50% in cases of HCV genotype 1 infection. Boceprevir, a potent oral HCV-protease inhibitor, has been evaluated as an additional treatment in phase 1 and phase 2 studies...
- Telaprevir for previously untreated chronic hepatitis C virus infection
Ira M Jacobson
Weill Cornell Medical College and Center for the Study of Hepatitis C, New York, NY 10021, USA
N Engl J Med 364:2405-16. 2011
- Peginterferon alfa-2a plus ribavirin for chronic hepatitis C virus infection
Michael W Fried
University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill 27599, USA
N Engl J Med 347:975-82. 2002
..We compared the efficacy and safety of peginterferon alfa-2a plus ribavirin, interferon alfa-2b plus ribavirin, and peginterferon alfa-2a alone in the initial treatment of chronic hepatitis C...
- IL28B is associated with response to chronic hepatitis C interferon-alpha and ribavirin therapy
Storr Liver Unit, University of Sydney, Sydney, Australia
Nat Genet 41:1100-4. 2009
..These data suggest that host genetics may be useful for the prediction of drug response, and they also support the investigation of the role of IL28B in the treatment of HCV and in other diseases treated with IFN-alpha...
- Boceprevir for previously treated chronic HCV genotype 1 infection
Bruce R Bacon
Saint Louis University School of Medicine, St Louis, Mo 63110 0250, USA
N Engl J Med 364:1207-17. 2011
..Boceprevir, a protease inhibitor that binds to the HCV nonstructural 3 (NS3) active site, has been suggested as an additional treatment...
- Telaprevir for retreatment of HCV infection
Johann Wolfgang Goethe University Medical Center, Frankfurt am Main, Germany
N Engl J Med 364:2417-28. 2011
..Up to 60% of patients with hepatitis C virus (HCV) genotype 1 infection do not have a sustained virologic response to therapy with peginterferon alfa plus ribavirin...
- Peginterferon alfa-2b plus ribavirin compared with interferon alfa-2b plus ribavirin for initial treatment of chronic hepatitis C: a randomised trial
M P Manns
Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Medical School of Hannover, Hannover, Germany
Lancet 358:958-65. 2001
..In this randomised trial, peginterferon alfa-2b plus ribavirin was compared with interferon alfa-2b plus ribavirin...
- Response-guided telaprevir combination treatment for hepatitis C virus infection
Kenneth E Sherman
Division of Digestive Diseases, University of Cincinnati College of Medicine, Cincinnati, OH 45267 0595, USA
N Engl J Med 365:1014-24. 2011
..We designed a noninferiority trial (noninferiority margin, -10.5%) to compare rates of sustained virologic response among patients receiving two treatment durations...
- Preliminary study of two antiviral agents for hepatitis C genotype 1
Anna S Lok
Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Gastroenterology, 3912 Taubman Center, SPC 5362, University of Michigan Medical Center, Ann Arbor, MI 48109, USA
N Engl J Med 366:216-24. 2012
..Patients with chronic hepatitis C virus (HCV) infection who have not had a response to therapy with peginterferon and ribavirin may benefit from the addition of multiple direct-acting antiviral agents to their treatment regimen...
- Genetic variation in IL28B is associated with chronic hepatitis C and treatment failure: a genome-wide association study
University Clinic of Infectious Diseases, University Hospital Bern and University of Bern, Bern, Switzerland
Gastroenterology 138:1338-45, 1345.e1-7. 2010
..We performed a genome-wide association study to screen for host genetic determinants of HCV persistence and response to therapy...
- Targeted nanoparticle-aptamer bioconjugates for cancer chemotherapy in vivo
Omid C Farokhzad
Department of Anesthesiology, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, 75 Francis Street, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 103:6315-20. 2006
..Dtxl alone had a survivability of only 14%. Saline and nanoparticles without drug were similarly nonefficacious. This report demonstrates the potential utility of nanoparticle-aptamer bioconjugates for a therapeutic application...
- Telaprevir for previously treated chronic HCV infection
John G McHutchison
Duke Clinical Research Institute and Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC, USA
N Engl J Med 362:1292-303. 2010
..Patients with genotype 1 hepatitis C virus (HCV) who do not have a sustained response to therapy with peginterferon alfa and ribavirin have a low likelihood of success with retreatment...
- Hepatic ISG expression is associated with genetic variation in interleukin 28B and the outcome of IFN therapy for chronic hepatitis C
Department of Gastroenterology, Kanazawa University Graduate School of Medicine, Kanazawa, Japan
Gastroenterology 139:499-509. 2010
..Multiple viral and host factors are related to the treatment response to pegylated-interferon and ribavirin combination therapy; however, the clinical relevance and relationship of these factors have not yet been fully evaluated...
- Telaprevir with peginterferon and ribavirin for treatment-naive patients chronically infected with HCV of genotype 1 in Japan
Department of Hepatology, Toranomon Hospital, Tokyo, Japan
J Hepatol 56:78-84. 2012
..To evaluate the efficacy and safety of telaprevir in combination with peginterferon-α2b (PEG-IFN) and ribavirin (RBV) in patients with chronic hepatitis C...
- Reduced cardiotoxicity and comparable efficacy in a phase III trial of pegylated liposomal doxorubicin HCl (CAELYX/Doxil) versus conventional doxorubicin for first-line treatment of metastatic breast cancer
M E R O'Brien
Kent Cancer Center, Maidstone, UK
Ann Oncol 15:440-9. 2004
- Dynamic hepatitis C virus genotypic and phenotypic changes in patients treated with the protease inhibitor telaprevir
Klinik fur Innere Medizin II, Universitat des Saarlandes, Homburg Saar, Germany
Gastroenterology 132:1767-77. 2007
..4A protease inhibitor, has shown strong antiviral activity in phase 1 clinical studies. Because of high levels of HCV replication and the low fidelity of HCV polymerase, selection of resistant isolates during therapy may occur...
- PEGylation, successful approach to drug delivery
Francesco M Veronese
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Padua University, Italy
Drug Discov Today 10:1451-8. 2005
..Thanks to these favorable properties, PEGylation now plays an important role in drug delivery, enhancing the potentials of peptides and proteins as therapeutic agents...
- IP-10 predicts viral response and therapeutic outcome in difficult-to-treat patients with HCV genotype 1 infection
Department of Infectious Diseases, University of Goteborg, Sweden
Hepatology 44:1617-25. 2006
..Thus, pretreatment IP-10 analysis may prove helpful in decision-making regarding pharmaceutical intervention...
- Interferon-induced gene expression is a stronger predictor of treatment response than IL28B genotype in patients with hepatitis C
Michael T Dill
Department of Biomedicine, Hepatology Laboratory, University of Basel, Basel, Switzerland
Gastroenterology 140:1021-31. 2011
..We investigated whether IL28B genotype determines the constitutive expression of ISGs in the liver and compared the abilities of ISG levels and IL28B genotype to predict treatment outcome...
- Role of interleukin-28B polymorphisms in the treatment of hepatitis C virus genotype 2 infection in Asian patients
Ming Lung Yu
Department of Internal Medicine, Kaohsiung Municipal Ta Tung Hospital, Kaohsiung, Taiwan
Hepatology 53:7-13. 2011
..99-1.00, P = 0.04). Nevertheless, the achievement of RVR was the single predictor of SVR with an OR of 19.37 (95% CI = 8.89-42.23, P < 0.001), whereas the rs8099917 genotypes played no role in achieving SVR with or without RVR...
- In vivo imaging of quantum dots encapsulated in phospholipid micelles
Center for Studies in Physics and Biology, Laboratory of Molecular Embryology, The Rockefeller University, 1230 York Avenue, New York, NY 10021, USA
Science 298:1759-62. 2002
..Nanocrystal fluorescence could be followed to the tadpole stage, allowing lineage-tracing experiments in embryogenesis...
- Randomized study of peginterferon-alpha2a plus ribavirin vs peginterferon-alpha2b plus ribavirin in chronic hepatitis C
Maria Grazia Rumi
AM Migliavacca Center for Liver Disease, First Division of Gastroenterology, Fondazione IRCCS Maggiore Hospital, Mangiagalli e Regina Elena, Universita degli Studi di Milano, Milan, Italy
Gastroenterology 138:108-15. 2010
..Due to the lack of head-to-head studies, the 2 PegIFNs have not been directly compared. The endpoints of our study were safety and antiviral efficacy of the 2 regimens...
- Peginterferon Alfa-2a, lamivudine, and the combination for HBeAg-positive chronic hepatitis B
George K K Lau
Department of Medicine, Queen Mary Hospital, University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong SAR, China
N Engl J Med 352:2682-95. 2005
- Efficacy of boceprevir, an NS3 protease inhibitor, in combination with peginterferon alfa-2b and ribavirin in treatment-naive patients with genotype 1 hepatitis C infection (SPRINT-1): an open-label, randomised, multicentre phase 2 trial
Paul Y Kwo
Department of Medicine, Division of Gastroenterology Hepatology, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, IN 46202 5121, USA
Lancet 376:705-16. 2010
..We tested the efficacy of boceprevir, an NS3 hepatitis C virus oral protease inhibitor, when added to peginterferon alfa-2b and ribavirin...
- Telaprevir with peginterferon and ribavirin for chronic HCV genotype 1 infection
John G McHutchison
Duke Clinical Research Institute and Duke University, Durham, NC 27715, USA
N Engl J Med 360:1827-38. 2009
..Telaprevir, a protease inhibitor specific to the HCV nonstructural 3/4A serine protease, rapidly reduced HCV RNA levels in early studies...
- Photodegradable hydrogels for dynamic tuning of physical and chemical properties
April M Kloxin
Department of Chemical and Biological Engineering, University of Colorado, 424 UCB ECCH 111, Boulder, CO 80309, USA
Science 324:59-63. 2009
- Acute toxicity and pharmacokinetics of 13 nm-sized PEG-coated gold nanoparticles
Wan Seob Cho
Division of Toxicologic Pathology, Department of Toxicological Research, National Institute of Toxicological Research, Korea Food and Drug Administration, 231 Jinhoungno Eunpyung ku, Seoul 122 704, Republic of Korea
Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 236:16-24. 2009
..These findings of toxicity and kinetics of PEG-coated gold nanoparticles may have important clinical implications regarding the safety issue as PEG-coated gold nanoparticles are widely used in biomedical applications...
- Peginterferon-alpha2a and ribavirin combination therapy in chronic hepatitis C: a randomized study of treatment duration and ribavirin dose
Stephanos J Hadziyannis
Department of Medicine and Hepatology, Henry Dunant Hospital, Athens, Greece
Ann Intern Med 140:346-55. 2004
..Treatment with pegylated interferon (peginterferon) and ribavirin for 48 weeks is more effective than conventional interferon and ribavirin in patients with chronic hepatitis C...
- Rapid transport of large polymeric nanoparticles in fresh undiluted human mucus
Samuel K Lai
Department of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering, The Johns Hopkins University, 3400 North Charles Street, Baltimore, MD 21218, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 104:1482-7. 2007
- Mediating tumor targeting efficiency of nanoparticles through design
Steven D Perrault
Institute of Biomaterials and Biomedical Engineering, Terrence Donnelly Centre for Cellular and Biomolecular Research, University of Toronto, 160 College Street, Toronto, ON, M5S 3E1, Canada
Nano Lett 9:1909-15. 2009
..Our results provide design parameters for engineering nanoparticles for optimized tumor targeting of contrast agents and therapeutics...
- Hepatic STAT1-nuclear translocation and interleukin 28B polymorphisms predict treatment outcomes in hepatitis C virus genotype 1-infected patients
Department of Medicine and Clinical Oncology, Graduate School of Medicine, Chiba University, Chiba, Japan
PLoS ONE 6:e28617. 2011
- Peginterferon alfa-2a plus ribavirin is more effective than peginterferon alfa-2b plus ribavirin for treating chronic hepatitis C virus infection
Department of Gastroenterology, Liver Unit, Cardarelli Hospital, Napoli, Italy
Gastroenterology 138:116-22. 2010
..This study compared the efficacy and safety of peginterferon alfa-2a and peginterferon alfa-2b, each in combination with ribavirin...
- Trabectedin plus pegylated liposomal Doxorubicin in recurrent ovarian cancer
Bradley J Monk
University of California at Irvine UCI and UCI Medical Center, Orange, CA 92868 3298, USA
J Clin Oncol 28:3107-14. 2010
- Large-scale synthesis of uniform and extremely small-sized iron oxide nanoparticles for high-resolution T1 magnetic resonance imaging contrast agents
Byung Hyo Kim
World Class University program of Chemical Convergence for Energy and Environment, and School of Chemical and Biological Engineering, Seoul National University, Seoul 151 744, Korea
J Am Chem Soc 133:12624-31. 2011
..High-resolution blood pool MR imaging using ESIONs enabled clear observation of various blood vessels with sizes down to 0.2 mm. These results demonstrate the potential of ESIONs as T(1) MRI contrast agents in clinical settings...
- PEG-modified gold nanorods with a stealth character for in vivo applications
Department of Applied Chemistry, Faculty of Engineering, Kyushu University, 744 Motooka, Nishi ku, Fukuoka 819 0395, Japan
J Control Release 114:343-7. 2006
..5 h after intravenous injection, whereas most of gold was detected in the liver in the case of original gold nanorods stabilized with CTAB...
- Poly(ethylene glycol) in drug delivery: pros and cons as well as potential alternatives
Lehrstuhl für Organische und Makromolekulare Chemie IOMC, Friedrich Schiller University Jena, Humboldtstrasse 10, 07745 Jena, Germany
Angew Chem Int Ed Engl 49:6288-308. 2010
..These possible side effects will be discussed in this Review and alternative polymers will be evaluated...
- "SMART" drug delivery systems: double-targeted pH-responsive pharmaceutical nanocarriers
R M Sawant
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Northeastern University, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Bioconjug Chem 17:943-9. 2006
..We consider this result as the first step in the development of multifunctional stimuli-sensitive pharmaceutical nanocarriers...
- Side effects of therapy of hepatitis C and their management
Michael W Fried
Division of Digestive Diseases, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, North Carolina 27599, USA
Hepatology 36:S237-44. 2002
..Strategies to maximize adherence are being developed and, in the future, may include early identification of and therapy for depression and the selective use of hematopoietic growth factors to ameliorate hematologic abnormalities...
- Hepatitis C pharmacogenetics: state of the art in 2010
Nezam H Afdhal
Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center and Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02215, USA
Hepatology 53:336-45. 2011
- Early virologic response to treatment with peginterferon alfa-2b plus ribavirin in patients with chronic hepatitis C
Gary L Davis
Division of Hepatology, Baylor University Medical Center, Dallas, TX 75246, USA
Hepatology 38:645-52. 2003
..Patients who fail to achieve EVR will not clear virus even if an additional 9 months of therapy is received. Therapy can be confidently discontinued in those cases...
- Peginterferon alfa-2a in patients with chronic hepatitis C
Klinikum der Johann Wolfgang Goethe Universitat, Frankfurt, Germany
N Engl J Med 343:1666-72. 2000
..We compared the clinical effects of a regimen of peginterferon alfa-2a with those of a regimen of interferon alfa-2a in the initial treatment of patients with chronic hepatitis C...
- Supramolecular chemistry on water-soluble carbon nanotubes for drug loading and delivery
Department of Chemistry, Stanford University, Stanford, California 94305, USA
ACS Nano 1:50-6. 2007
..Such chemical partitioning should open up new opportunities in chemical, biological, and medical applications of novel nanomaterials...
- Effect of pegylation on pharmaceuticals
J Milton Harris
Nektar Therapeutics, 490 Discovery Drive, Huntsville, Alabama 35806, USA
Nat Rev Drug Discov 2:214-21. 2003
..This article will review how PEGylation can result in drugs that are often more effective and safer, and which show improved patient convenience and compliance...
- Block copolymer micelles for drug delivery: design, characterization and biological significance
Department of Materials Science, Graduate School of Engineering, The University of Tokyo, 7 3 1 Hongo, Bunkyo ku, Tokyo 113 8656, Japan
Adv Drug Deliv Rev 47:113-31. 2001
..As an important perspective on carrier systems based on polymeric micelles, their feasibility as non-viral gene vectors is also summarized in this review article...
- Molecular crowding creates an essential environment for the formation of stable G-quadruplexes in long double-stranded DNA
Ke Wei Zheng
Laboratory of Biochemistry and Biophysics, College of Life Sciences, Wuhan University, Wuhan, PR China
Nucleic Acids Res 38:327-38. 2010
..This observation reveals a physical basis for the formation of stable G-quadruplexes in genome and supports its presence under the in vivo molecular crowding condition...
- Accumulation of sub-100 nm polymeric micelles in poorly permeable tumours depends on size
Department of Bioengineering, Graduate School of Engineering, The University of Tokyo, Hongo, Bunkyo ku, Japan
Nat Nanotechnol 6:815-23. 2011
..We also showed that the penetration and efficacy of the larger micelles could be enhanced by using a transforming growth factor-β inhibitor to increase the permeability of the tumours...
- Successful treatment of moderate to severe plaque psoriasis with the PEGylated Fab' certolizumab pegol: results of a phase II randomized, placebo-controlled trial with a re-treatment extension
Dermatologikum Hamburg, Stephansplatz 5, 20354 Hamburg, Germany
Br J Dermatol 167:180-90. 2012
..Certolizumab pegol (CZP) is a PEGylated antitumour necrosis factor agent...
- Arginine deprivation as a targeted therapy for cancer
Hematology Oncology, University of Miami School of Medicine, 1201 N W 16th Street, Miami, FL 33136, USA
Curr Pharm Des 14:1049-57. 2008
..This article reviews our laboratory and clinical experience as well as that from others with ADI-PEG20 as an antineoplastic agent. Future direction in utilizing this agent is also discussed...
- Early serum HBsAg drop: a strong predictor of sustained virological response to pegylated interferon alfa-2a in HBeAg-negative patients
Service d Hepatologie, Hopital Beaujon, Clichy, France
Hepatology 49:1151-7. 2009
..HBsAg loss was observed in three patients, all with SVR...
- Discovery and development of telaprevir: an NS3-4A protease inhibitor for treating genotype 1 chronic hepatitis C virus
Ann D Kwong
Vertex Pharmaceuticals, Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA
Nat Biotechnol 29:993-1003. 2011
..Lessons learned from the development of telaprevir suggest that makers of innovative medicines cannot rely solely on traditional drug discovery metrics, but must develop innovative, scientifically guided pathways for success...
- Pegylated liposomal Doxorubicin and Carboplatin compared with Paclitaxel and Carboplatin for patients with platinum-sensitive ovarian cancer in late relapse
University Paris Descartes, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, Hopital Hotel Dieu, Paris, France
J Clin Oncol 28:3323-9. 2010
- Shorter durations and lower doses of peginterferon alfa-2a are associated with inferior hepatitis B e antigen seroconversion rates in hepatitis B virus genotypes B or C
Y F Liaw
Liver Research Unit, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, Chang Gung University College of Medicine, Taipei, Taiwan
Hepatology 54:1591-9. 2011
..Adverse events were typical of those associated with PEG-IFNα-2a...
- DNA condensation
V A Bloomfield
Department of Biochemistry, University of Minnesota, St Paul 55108, USA
Curr Opin Struct Biol 6:334-41. 1996
..DNA condensed with cationic liposomes is an efficient agent for the transfection of eukaryotic cells, with considerable potential interest for gene therapy...
- Arginine deiminase as a novel therapy for prostate cancer induces autophagy and caspase-independent apoptosis
Randie H Kim
Department of Biological Chemistry, Division of Surgical Oncology, Center for Biophotonics and Science Technology, University of California at Davis, Sacramento, California 95817, USA
Cancer Res 69:700-8. 2009
..Finally, a tissue microarray of 88 prostate tumor samples lacked expression of ASS, indicating ADI-PEG20 is a potential novel therapy for the treatment of prostate cancer..
- Efficacy and safety of certolizumab pegol plus methotrexate in active rheumatoid arthritis: the RAPID 2 study. A randomised controlled trial
Department of Internal Medicine III, Medical University of Vienna and 2nd Department of Medicine, Hietzing Hospital, Austria
Ann Rheum Dis 68:797-804. 2009
..Certolizumab pegol is a PEGylated tumour necrosis factor inhibitor...
- Micellar nanocontainers distribute to defined cytoplasmic organelles
Department of Pharmacology and Therapeutics, McGill University, Montreal, QC, H3G 1Y6, Canada
Science 300:615-8. 2003
..These micelles may thus be worth exploring for their potential to selectively deliver drugs to specified subcellular targets...
- Cell-penetrating quantum dots based on multivalent and endosome-disrupting surface coatings
Department of Biomedical Engineering, Emory University, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
J Am Chem Soc 129:3333-8. 2007
..These insights are important toward the design and development of nanoparticle agents for intracellular imaging and therapeutic applications...
- [Comparison of therapeutic results between combination therapy of peginterferon alpha-2a plus ribavirin and interferon alpha-2b plus ribavirin according to treatment duration in patients with chronic hepatitis C]
Heon Ju Lee
Department of Internal Medicine, Yeungnam University College of Medicine, Daegu, Korea
Korean J Hepatol 14:46-57. 2008
- Micellar carriers based on block copolymers of poly(epsilon-caprolactone) and poly(ethylene glycol) for doxorubicin delivery
Department of Biomedical Engineering, Case Western Reserve University, 10900 Euclid Avenue, Cleveland, OH 44106, USA
J Control Release 98:415-26. 2004
..Consistent with the in vitro release and CLSM results, a cytotoxicity study demonstrated that DOX-loaded micelles exhibited time-delayed cytotoxicity in human MCF-7 breast cancer cells...
- Association of a single nucleotide polymorphism near the interleukin-28B gene with response to hepatitis C therapy in Asian patients
Dong H Sinn
Department of Medicine, Samsung Medical Center, Sungkyunkwan University School of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
J Gastroenterol Hepatol 26:1374-9. 2011
..A single nucleotide polymorphism near the interleukin-28B (IL28B) gene has been shown to predict hepatitis C virus (HCV) treatment response. We aim to determine the role of the IL28B genotype in Asian patients...
- A randomised phase II study of pegylated arginine deiminase (ADI-PEG 20) in Asian advanced hepatocellular carcinoma patients
T S Yang
Department of Internal Medicine, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, Linkou Medical Center, Chang Gung University, Taoyuan 33305, Taiwan
Br J Cancer 103:954-60. 2010
..This study aims to investigate the efficacy and pharmacodynamics of pegylated arginine deiminase (ADI-PEG 20), a systemic arginine deprivation agent, in Asian HCC patients...
- Improved therapeutic activity of folate-targeted liposomal doxorubicin in folate receptor-expressing tumor models
Experimental Oncology Laboratory, Shaare Zedek Medical Center, 11 Shmuel Bayit Street, 7th Floor, PO Box 3235, Jerusalem 91031, Israel
Cancer Chemother Pharmacol 66:43-52. 2010
..Targeting liposomes to the FR has been proposed as a way to enhance the effects of liposome-based chemotherapy...
- Peginterferon alpha-2a is associated with higher sustained virological response than peginterferon alfa-2b in chronic hepatitis C: systematic review of randomized trials
Cochrane Hepato Biliary Group, Copenhagen Trial Unit, Center for Clinical Intervention Research, Department 3344, Rigshospitalet, Copenhagen University Hospital, Copenhagen, Denmark
Hepatology 51:1176-84. 2010
..The meta-analysis of adverse events leading to treatment discontinuation included 11 trials and revealed no significant differences between the two peginterferons...
- Peginterferon and ribavirin for chronic hepatitis C
Jay H Hoofnagle
Liver Disease Research Branch, Division of Digestive Diseases and Nutrition, National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases, Bethesda, MD, USA
N Engl J Med 355:2444-51. 2006
- Emerging PEGylated drugs
Jung Seok Kang
Sungkyunkwan University, College of Pharmacy, Drug Targeting Laboratory, Suwon 440 746, Korea
Expert Opin Emerg Drugs 14:363-80. 2009
..This active research in the PEGylation field and the continued growth of the biopharmaceutical market predicts that PEGylated drugs have a bright future...
- PEEK biomaterials in trauma, orthopedic, and spinal implants
Steven M Kurtz
Exponent, Inc, 3401 Market Street, Suite 300, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Biomaterials 28:4845-69. 2007
..For mature fields, such as total joint replacements and fracture fixation implants, radiolucency is an attractive but not necessarily critical material feature...
- Glycyrrhetinic acid-modified chitosan/poly(ethylene glycol) nanoparticles for liver-targeted delivery
Key Laboratory of Functional Polymer Materials, Ministry of Education, Institute of Polymer Chemistry, Nankai University, Tianjin 300071, PR China
Biomaterials 31:4748-56. 2010
..HCl (DOX.HCl) and the DOX-loaded CTS/PEG-GA nanoparticles were 47 and 79 ng/mL, respectively. Moreover, the DOX-loaded CTS/PEG-GA nanoparticles could effectively inhibit tumor growth in H22 cell-bearing mice...
- Hepatic gene expression discriminates responders and nonresponders in treatment of chronic hepatitis C viral infection
Banting and Best Department of Medical Research, University of Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Gastroenterology 128:1437-44. 2005
..A large proportion of patients do not respond to therapy for reasons that are unclear. We used gene expression profiling to investigate the molecular basis for treatment failure...
- Factors affecting the accelerated blood clearance of polyethylene glycol-liposomes upon repeated injection
Department of Nuclear Medicine, University Medical Center Nijmegen, Nijmegen, The Netherlands
J Pharmacol Exp Ther 298:607-12. 2001
..Therefore, these findings may have a considerable impact on the clinical application of liposomal formulations that are administered repeatedly...
- Predicting sustained virological responses in chronic hepatitis C patients treated with peginterferon alfa-2a (40 KD)/ribavirin
Medical University of Vienna, Vienna, Austria
J Hepatol 43:425-33. 2005
..Prediction of sustained virological response (SVR) during treatment would allow clinicians to identify patients most likely to benefit from therapy...
- Poly(ethylene oxide)-block-poly(L-amino acid) micelles for drug delivery
Faculty of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta T6G 2N8, Canada
Adv Drug Deliv Rev 54:169-90. 2002
..PEO-b-PLAA micelles may be advantageous in terms of safety, stability, and scale-up...
- Surface modification of superparamagnetic magnetite nanoparticles and their intracellular uptake
Department of Materials Science and Engineering, University of Washington, Seattle 98195 2120, USA
Biomaterials 23:1553-61. 2002
- Accelerated blood clearance (ABC) phenomenon upon repeated injection of PEGylated liposomes
Department of Pharmacokinetics and Biopharmaceutics, Subdivision of Biopharmaceutical Sciences, Institute of Health Biosciences, The University of Tokushima, 1 78 1, Sho machi, Tokushima 770 8505, Japan
Int J Pharm 354:56-62. 2008
- Structure and design of polymeric surfactant-based drug delivery systems
V P Torchilin
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Bouve College of Health Sciences, Northeastern University, 360 Huntington Avenue, Boston, MA 02129, USA
J Control Release 73:137-72. 2001
..Their in vitro and in vivo properties are discussed and the results of the initial animal experiments are presented...
- Formulation of Docetaxel by folic acid-conjugated d-α-tocopheryl polyethylene glycol succinate 2000 (Vitamin E TPGS(2k)) micelles for targeted and synergistic chemotherapy
Department of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering, National University of Singapore, Block E5, 02 11, 4 Engineering Drive 4, Singapore 117576, Singapore
Biomaterials 32:4058-66. 2011
- Efficacy and safety of certolizumab pegol in a broad population of patients with active rheumatoid arthritis: results from the REALISTIC phase IIIb study
Michael E Weinblatt
Harvard Medical School, Division of Rheumatology, Immunology and Allergy, Brigham and Women s Hospital, 75 Francis Street, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Rheumatology (Oxford) 51:2204-14. 2012
..To investigate the efficacy and safety of certolizumab pegol (CZP) in a broad population of patients with active RA...
- The parallel G-quadruplex structure of vertebrate telomeric repeat sequences is not the preferred folding topology under physiological conditions
Institute of Biophysical Chemistry and Center for Biomolecular Magnetic Resonance, Goethe University, Max von Laue Str 9, 60438 Frankfurt Main, Germany
Nucleic Acids Res 39:5768-75. 2011
..laevis egg extract or in Ficoll resembles results obtained under dilute conditions, PEG promotes the formation of high-order parallel topologies. Our data suggest that PEG should not be used as a MC mimetic...
- Telaprevir and peginterferon with or without ribavirin for chronic HCV infection
Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, Henri Mondor Hospital, University of Paris 12 and INSERM Unité 955, Creteil, France
N Engl J Med 360:1839-50. 2009
..Telaprevir is a specific inhibitor of the HCV serine protease and could be of value in HCV treatment...
- UK consensus guidelines for the use of the protease inhibitors boceprevir and telaprevir in genotype 1 chronic hepatitis C infected patients
Department of Gastroenterology, Aberdeen Royal Infirmary, Aberdeen, UK
Aliment Pharmacol Ther 35:647-62. 2012
..However, the addition of these new agents will increase the complexity of therapeutic regimens, the rates of side-effects and costs...
- Influence of anchoring ligands and particle size on the colloidal stability and in vivo biodistribution of polyethylene glycol-coated gold nanoparticles in tumor-xenografted mice
Department of Experimental Diagnostic Imaging, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Biomaterials 30:1928-36. 2009
..Thus, 20-nm AuNPs coated with TA-terminated PEG(5000) are promising potential drug delivery vehicles and diagnostic imaging agents...
- Peginterferon alfa-2a and ribavirin in Latino and non-Latino whites with hepatitis C
Fundacion de Investigacion de Diego, San Juan, Puerto Rico
N Engl J Med 360:257-67. 2009
..We evaluated the effect of Latino ethnic background on the response to treatment with peginterferon alfa-2a and ribavirin in patients infected with HCV genotype 1 who had not been treated previously...
- Systemic delivery of siRNA with cationic lipid assisted PEG-PLA nanoparticles for cancer therapy
Xian Zhu Yang
Hefei National Laboratory for Physical Sciences at the Microscale, University of Science and Technology of China, Hefei, Anhui 230027, PR China
J Control Release 156:203-11. 2011
- Efficacy and tolerability of pegloticase for the treatment of chronic gout in patients refractory to conventional treatment: two randomized controlled trials
John S Sundy
Duke Clinical Research Unit, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina, USA
JAMA 306:711-20. 2011
..Pegloticase, monomethoxypoly(ethylene glycol)-conjugated mammalian recombinant uricase, was developed to fulfill this need...
- Single nucleotide polymorphism upstream of interleukin 28B associated with phase 1 and phase 2 of early viral kinetics in patients infected with HCV genotype 1
Charles D Howell
University of Maryland School of Medicine, Program in Genetics and Genomic Medicine, Baltimore, MD, USA
J Hepatol 56:557-63. 2012
..We studied the relationship between IL28B gene-related SNP rs12979860 and early viral kinetics (day 0-28) during peginterferon and ribavirin treatment, in 173 African Americans (AA) and 188 Caucasian Americans (CA) with HCV genotype 1...
- IL28 variation affects expression of interferon stimulated genes and peg-interferon and ribavirin therapy
Laboratory for Digestive Diseases, Center for Genomic Medicine, RIKEN, Hiroshima, Japan
J Hepatol 54:1094-101. 2011
..Expression of IL28 in peripheral blood cells has been reported to be higher in patients with IL28 SNP genotypes associated with favorable response...
- Prediction of response to pegylated interferon plus ribavirin by IL28B gene variation in patients coinfected with HIV and hepatitis C virus
Juan A Pineda
Unit of Infectious Diseases, Hospital Universitario de Valme, Seville, Spain
Clin Infect Dis 51:788-95. 2010
..We aimed to assess the predictive ability of variations in the single-nucleotide polymorphism rs12979860 for SVR in HIV/HCV-coinfected patients, regardless of HCV genotype...
- Outcome of sustained virological responders with histologically advanced chronic hepatitis C
Timothy R Morgan
Division of Gastroenterology, University of California Irvine, Irvine, CA, USA
Hepatology 52:833-44. 2010
..15, 95% CI = 0.06-0.38) or HCC (HR = 0.19, 95% CI = 0.04-0.80) was significant for SVR compared to NR. Laboratory tests related to liver disease severity improved following SVR...
- Amphiphilic block copolymers for drug delivery
Monica L Adams
Division of Pharmaceutical Sciences, School of Pharmacy, University of Wisconsin Madison, 777 Highland Avenue, Madison, WI 53705 2222, USA
J Pharm Sci 92:1343-55. 2003
..The purpose of this minireview is to provide a concise, yet detailed, introduction to the use of ABCs and polymeric micelles as delivery agents as well as to highlight current and past work in this area...
- PEGylation of therapeutic proteins
Lek Pharmaceuticals d d, a Sandoz Company, Biopharmaceuticals, Ljubljana, Slovenia
Biotechnol J 5:113-28. 2010
- Pharmacokinetics of pegylated liposomal Doxorubicin: review of animal and human studies
Shaare Zedek Medical Center, Jerusalem, Israel
Clin Pharmacokinet 42:419-36. 2003
..Thus, pegylated liposomal doxorubicin represents a new class of chemotherapy delivery system that may significantly improve the therapeutic index of doxorubicin...
- Pegylated arginine deiminase (ADI-SS PEG20,000 mw) inhibits human melanomas and hepatocellular carcinomas in vitro and in vivo
Charles Mark Ensor
Department of Biology, T H Morgan Building and Phoenix Pharmacologics, Inc, Lexington, Kentucky 40503, USA
Cancer Res 62:5443-50. 2002
- Polyethylenimine-graft-poly(ethylene glycol) copolymers: influence of copolymer block structure on DNA complexation and biological activities as gene delivery system
Department of Pharmaceutics and Biopharmacy, Philipps University, Ketzerbach 63, D 35032 Marburg, Germany
Bioconjug Chem 13:845-54. 2002
..These results provide a basis for the rational design of block copolymer gene delivery systems...
- Formulation of functionalized PLGA-PEG nanoparticles for in vivo targeted drug delivery
Department of Chemical Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 77 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA
Biomaterials 28:869-76. 2007
..22%+/-0.07% of injected dose per gram of tissue; mean+/-SD, n=4, p=0.002). The ability to control NP size together with targeted delivery may result in favorable biodistribution and development of clinically relevant targeted therapies...
- Polymorphism near the IL28B gene in Korean hepatitis C virus-infected patients treated with peg-interferon plus ribavirin
Department of Internal Medicine and WHO Collaborating Center on Viral Hepatitis, College of Medicine, The Catholic University of Korea, 137 040 Seoul, Republic of Korea
J Clin Virol 52:363-6. 2011
..Single nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs) near the IL28B gene have recently been described as predictors of antiviral therapy responses in patients with hepatitis C virus (HCV) genotype-1...
- Telaprevir alone or with peginterferon and ribavirin reduces HCV RNA in patients with chronic genotype 2 but not genotype 3 infections
Graham R Foster
Queen Marys University of London, Blizard Institute of Cellular and Molecular Science, London, UK
Gastroenterology 141:881-889.e1. 2011
..We evaluated antiviral activity of 2 weeks therapy with telaprevir alone, peginterferon alfa-2a and ribavirin (PR), or all 3 drugs (TPR) in treatment-naïve patients with chronic hepatitis C virus (HCV) genotype 2 or 3 infections...
- Multifunctional polymeric micelles with folate-mediated cancer cell targeting and pH-triggered drug releasing properties for active intracellular drug delivery
Department of Materials Science and Engineering, Graduate School of Engineering, The University of Tokyo, 7 3 1 Hongo, Tokyo, Japan
Mol Biosyst 1:242-50. 2005
..Consequently, these findings would provide one of the most effective approaches for cancer treatment using intracellular environment-targeting supramolecular drug carriers...
- Efficacy of transferrin-conjugated paclitaxel-loaded nanoparticles in a murine model of prostate cancer
Sanjeeb K Sahoo
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, NE 68198 6025, USA
Int J Cancer 112:335-40. 2004
..In conclusion, sustained release NPs demonstrated greater antitumor activity following their conjugation to Tf ligand...
- PEGylation significantly affects cellular uptake and intracellular trafficking of non-viral gene delivery particles
Chemical Engineering, California Institute of Technology, Pasadena, CA 91125, USA
Eur J Cell Biol 83:97-111. 2004
- Nanoparticle-aptamer bioconjugates: a new approach for targeting prostate cancer cells
Omid C Farokhzad
Department of Anesthesiology, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Cancer Res 64:7668-72. 2004
..To our knowledge, this represents the first report of targeted drug delivery with nanoparticle-aptamer bioconjugates...
- Evaluation of pharmacokinetics of 111In-labeled VNB-PEGylated liposomes after intraperitoneal and intravenous administration in a tumor/ascites mouse model
Yi Yu Lin
Biomedical Imaging and Radiological Sciences, National Yang Ming University, Taipei, Taiwan, Republic of China
Cancer Biother Radiopharm 24:453-60. 2009
..v. route. This study demonstrates that i.p. administration is a better approach than i.v. injection for IVNBPL, when applied to the treatment of i.p. malignant disease in a tumor/ascites mouse model...