Genomes and Genes
Summary: Isoprostanes derived from the free radical oxidation of ARACHIDONIC ACID. Although similar in structure to enzymatically synthesized prostaglandin F2alpha (DINOPROST), they occur through non-enzymatic oxidation of cell membrane lipids.
Publications230 found, 100 shown here
- Dietary zinc restriction in rats alters antioxidant status and increases plasma F2 isoprostanesRichard S Bruno
Department of Nutritional Sciences, University of Connecticut, Storrs, CT 06269, USA
J Nutr Biochem 18:509-18. 2007..Collectively, zinc deficiency increased oxidative stress, which may be partially explained by increased CYP activity and reductions in hepatic alpha-tocopherol and gamma-tocopherol and in plasma uric acid...
- An improved method for the measurement of urinary and plasma F2-isoprostanes using gas chromatography-mass spectrometryT A Mori
Department of Medicine and the Western Australian Heart Research Institute, University of Western Australia, Perth, Perth, 6000, Western
Anal Biochem 268:117-25. 1999..The inclusion of HPLC separation enables improved analysis of F2-isoprostanes by GC-MS. This methodology will assist in defining the role of F2-isoprostanes as in vivo markers of oxidant stress in clinical and experimental settings...
- F2-isoprostanes as biomarkers of lipid peroxidation in patients with chronic renal failureIngrid Wiswedel
Department of Pathological Biochemistry, University of Magdeburg, Leipziger Strasse 44, D 39120 Magdeburg, Germany
Biofactors 24:201-8. 2005..Furthermore, F2-isoprostanes possess potent biological activities (e.g. 8-iso-PGF2alpha is known as a renal vasoconstrictor) suggesting that they may also act as mediators of the cellular effects of oxidative stress and inflammation...
- Plasma F2 isoprostanes: direct evidence of increased free radical damage during acute hyperglycemia in type 2 diabetesMichael J Sampson
Bertram Diabetes Research Unit, Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital National Health Service Trust, Norwich, UK
Diabetes Care 25:537-41. 2002..Acute hyperglycemia in type 2 diabetes increases the generation of plasma 8-epi-prostaglandin F2 (8-epi-PGF2alpha) isoprostane, a sensitive direct marker of in vivo free radical oxidative damage to membrane phospholipids...
- The relationship between dose of vitamin E and suppression of oxidative stress in humansL Jackson Roberts
Department of Pharmacology, Vanderbilt University, Nashville, TN 37232, USA
Free Radic Biol Med 43:1388-93. 2007..This study provides information on the dosage of vitamin E that decreases systemic oxidant stress in vivo in humans and informs the planning and evaluation of clinical studies that assess the efficacy of vitamin E to mitigate disease...
- DASH diet lowers blood pressure and lipid-induced oxidative stress in obesityHeno F Lopes
Department of Pharmacology, Medical University of South Carolina, 96 Jonathan Lucas St, CSB 826H, Charleston, SC 29425, USA
Hypertension 41:422-30. 2003..The findings are consistent with evidence that elevated BP in obese subjects may reflect an imbalance between antioxidant capacity and oxidative stress that is improved by the DASH-CD...
- Benefits of prolonged gradient separation for high-performance liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry quantitation of plasma total 15-series F-isoprostanesAlan W Taylor
Linus Pauling Institute, Oregon State University, Corvallis, 97331, USA
Anal Biochem 350:41-51. 2006..Ours is the first validated quantitative assay using HPLC-tandem MS applied to plasma total 15-PGFs...
- 8-iso-prostaglandin F2alpha as a marker of tissue oxidative damage in bovine retained placentaMarta Kankofer
Department of Biochemistry, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Agricultural University, Lublin, Poland
Prostaglandins Other Lipid Mediat 70:51-9. 2002..The results indicate that oxidative tissue damage, which may be the result of ROS imbalance, appears during RFM. However, the dynamics of this damage requires further elucidation...
- A mouse model of angiotensin II slow pressor response: role of oxidative stressNoritaka Kawada
Center for Hypertension and Renal Disease Research, Georgetown University Medical Center, 3800 Reservoir Road NE, Washington, DC 20007 2197, USA
J Am Soc Nephrol 13:2860-8. 2002..There is evidence of increased oxidative stress that is implicated in the increase in the BP and RVR in this model...
- Low-density lipoprotein level reduction by the 3-hydroxy-3-methylglutaryl coenzyme-A inhibitor simvastatin is accompanied by a related reduction of F2-isoprostane formation in hypercholesterolemic subjects: no further effect of vitamin ERaffaele De Caterina
Chair of Cardiology, G D Annunzio University, Chieti, Italy
Circulation 106:2543-9. 2002..Both statins and vitamin E, by reducing the rate of lipid peroxidation, may interfere with oxidative stress, but the impact of their combination is unknown...
- Antioxidant status of young children: response to an antioxidant supplementR J Stewart
St Luke s Wood River Medical Center, Ketchum, ID, USA
J Am Diet Assoc 102:1652-7. 2002..To study oxidative stress indicators in healthy young children and their response to a commercially available fruit- and vegetable-based antioxidant supplement...
- Comparison of the antioxidant effects of Concord grape juice flavonoids alpha-tocopherol on markers of oxidative stress in healthy adultsDawn J O'Byrne
Center for Human Nutrition and the Division of Clinical Biochemistry and Human Metabolism, Department of Pathology, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, USA
Am J Clin Nutr 76:1367-74. 2002..Concord grape juice (CGJ) is a rich source of flavonoids, which have greater antioxidant efficacy in vitro than does alpha-tocopherol; however, the efficacies of flavonoids and alpha-tocopherol in vivo have not been compared...
- 8-iso-prostaglandin F2alpha as a useful clinical biomarker of oxidative stress in ESRD patientsPaik Seong Lim
Department of Nephrology, Kuang Tien General Hospital, 117 Sha Tien Road, Shalu, Taichung 433, Taiwan
Blood Purif 20:537-42. 2002....
- 8-Isoprostaglandin F2a and ascorbic acid concentration in the aqueous humour of patients with exfoliation syndromeG G Koliakos
Department of Biological Chemistry, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Thessaloniki, Greece
Br J Ophthalmol 87:353-6. 2003....
- Moderate antioxidant supplementation has no effect on biomarkers of oxidant damage in healthy men with low fruit and vegetable intakesRobert A Jacob
U S Department of Agriculture ARS Western Human Nutrition Research Center, University of California at Davis, 95616 8683, USA
J Nutr 133:740-3. 2003..In healthy young men, the endogenous antioxidant defense system and a modest intake of dietary antioxidants are adequate to minimize levels of in vivo oxidant damage such that they cannot be differentiated by current methods...
- Supplementation with vitamin C and N-acetyl-cysteine increases oxidative stress in humans after an acute muscle injury induced by eccentric exerciseA Childs
Biochemistry of Aging Laboratory, Center for Exercice Science, College of Human Performance, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL 32611, USA
Free Radic Biol Med 31:745-53. 2001..This acute human inflammatory model strongly suggests that vitamin C and NAC supplementation immediately post-injury, transiently increases tissue damage and oxidative stress...
- Space flight and oxidative stressT P Stein
Department of Surgery, University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey, School of Osteopathic Medicine, Stratford, New Jersey 08084, USA
Nutrition 18:867-71. 2002..Decreasing the imbalance between the production of endogenous oxidant defenses and oxidant production by increasing the supply of dietary antioxidants may lessen the severity of the postflight increase in oxidative stress...
- Propofol (Diprivan-EDTA) counteracts oxidative injury and deterioration of the arterial oxygen tension during experimental septic shockS Basu
Department of Geriatrics and Clinical Nutrition Research, Uppsala University Hospital, S 751 85 Uppsala, Sweden
Resuscitation 50:341-8. 2001..CONCLUSIONS: Propofol reduced endotoxin-induced free radical mediated and cyclooxygenase catalysed lipid peroxidation significantly. The implication is that propofol counteracts endotoxin-induced deterioration of PaO(2)...
- Prostaglandin F(2alpha) metabolite and F(2)-isoprostane excretion rates in migraineJohanna Helmersson
Section of Geriatrics, Department of Public Health and Caring Sciences, Faculty of Medicine, Uppsala University, Box 609, SE 751 25 Uppsala, Sweden
Clin Sci (Lond) 102:39-43. 2002..Our results indicate, however, a lower level of oxidative stress in pre-menopausal compared with post-menopausal women...
- Vitamin E supplementation in the mitigation of carbon tetrachloride induced oxidative stress in ratsLesley K MacDonald-Wicks
Nutrition and Dietetics, School of Health Science, Faculty of Health, University of Newcastle, 2308 Callaghan, NSW, Australia
J Nutr Biochem 14:211-8. 2003..The results of this study indicate that dl-alpha-tocopherol acetate supplementation was protective of lipid peroxidation when oxidative stress is induced by a pro-oxidant challenge such as CCl4...
- Dietary supplementation with aged garlic extract reduces plasma and urine concentrations of 8-iso-prostaglandin F(2 alpha) in smoking and nonsmoking men and womenStephanie A Dillon
School of Biomolecular Sciences, Liverpool John Moores University, Byrom Street, Liverpool, L3 3AF, England, UK
J Nutr 132:168-71. 2002..Thus, dietary supplementation with AGE may be useful in reducing oxidative stress in humans...
- Oxidative stress and antioxidant status in type 1 diabetes mellitusJ Vessby
Section for Clinical Nutrition Research, Department of Public and Caring Sciences, Uppsala University, Uppsala, Sweden
J Intern Med 251:69-76. 2002....
- Platelet activation in obese women: role of inflammation and oxidant stressGiovanni Davi
Center of Excellence on Aging, G D Annunzio University Schools of Medicine and Pharmacy, Chieti, Italy
JAMA 288:2008-14. 2002..Obesity, in particular abdominal adiposity, is associated with increased cardiovascular morbidity and mortality through mechanisms possibly linking the metabolic disorder to platelet and vascular abnormalities...
- Circadian variation in oxidative stress markers in healthy and type II diabetic menEugene L Kanabrocki
Department of Veteran Affairs, Nuclear Medicine Service, Edward Hines Jr Hospital, Hines, IL 60141, USA
Chronobiol Int 19:423-39. 2002....
- Oxidative stress in chronic hepatitis C: not just a feature of late stage diseaseSanjiv K Jain
The Liver Unit, Manchester Royal Infirmary, Manchester, UK
J Hepatol 36:805-11. 2002..Chronic hepatitis C infection is a major world-wide problem, frequently progressing to cirrhosis, liver failure or hepatoma. The pathological mechanisms of disease progression are unclear but oxidant stress may play a role...
- Effects of vitamin C and vitamin E on in vivo lipid peroxidation: results of a randomized controlled trialHan Yao Huang
Department of Epidemiology, Bloomberg School of Public Health, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore 21205 2223, USA
Am J Clin Nutr 76:549-55. 2002..Evidence predominantly from in vitro studies suggests that antioxidant vitamins can prevent lipid peroxidation and that vitamin C and vitamin E have synergistic effects. However, in vivo evidence in support of these hypotheses is sparse...
- Lack of effect of oral vitamin C on blood pressure, oxidative stress and endothelial function in Type II diabetesD Darko
Department of Metabolic Medicine, Imperial College School of Medicine, Hammersmith Hospital, London, UK
Clin Sci (Lond) 103:339-44. 2002..Thus treatment with vitamin C (1.5 g daily) for 3 weeks does not significantly improve oxidative stress, blood pressure or endothelial function in patients with Type II diabetes...
- Oxidant stress is a significant feature of primary biliary cirrhosisAli Aboutwerat
The Liver Unit, Department of Gastroenterology, Manchester Royal Infirmary, Oxford Road, Manchester M13 9WL, UK
Biochim Biophys Acta 1637:142-50. 2003..This study clearly demonstrates that oxidant stress, as reflected in a comprehensive spectrum of lipid peroxidation and antioxidant markers, is a significant feature of early-stage PBC...
- Increased leukotriene B4 and 8-isoprostane in exhaled breath condensate of patients with exacerbations of COPDW A Biernacki
Department of Thoracic Medicine, Imperial College School of Medicine at the National Heart and Lung Institute, Royal Brompton Hospital, London SW3 6LY, UK
Thorax 58:294-8. 2003..Exacerbations are an important feature of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), accounting for a large proportion of health care costs. They are associated with increased airway inflammation and oxidative stress...
- Evidence for enhanced 8-isoprostane plasma levels, as index of oxidative stress in vivo, in patients with coronary artery diseaseCristina Vassalle
CNR Institute of Clinical Physiology, Via Moruzzi 1, I 56100 Pisa, Italy
Coron Artery Dis 14:213-8. 2003..In particular, 8-isoprostane (8-epiPGF(2alpha)) has been indicated as a marker of antioxidant deficiency and oxidative stress of potential relevance to assess human vascular diseases...
- [Analysis of 8-isoprostane concentration as a marker of oxidative stress in pregnant women diagnosed with IUGR]Agata Karowicz-Bilinska
Kliniki Patologii Ciazy Instytutu Ginekologii i Połoznictwa UM w Łodzi
Ginekol Pol 74:1137-42. 2003..The main aim of the study was to find the correlation between the L-arginine and acetylsalicylic acid therapy and 8-isoprostane concentration...
- [Exhaled breath condensate and its analysis--a new method in pulmonology]Geza Vass
Országos Korányi Tbc és Pulmonológiai Intézet, Kórélettani Osztãly, Budapest
Orv Hetil 144:2517-24. 2003..The different mediators could help us to know better the diseases, support the diagnosis, follow the treatment or the disease. In this study the authors attempt to present the most important knowledge till now...
- 8-Isoprostane, a marker of oxidative stress, is increased in the expired breath condensate of patients with pulmonary sarcoidosisKostas Psathakis
Department of Pneumonology, Army General Hospital of Athens, Greece
Chest 125:1005-11. 2004..Therefore, the aim of our study was to measure the levels of 8-isoprostane in the expired breath condensate of patients with sarcoidosis, and to investigate the relation of 8-isoprostane level to disease activity...
- Increased F2 isoprostane plasma levels in patients with congestive heart failure are correlated with antioxidant status and disease severityM Cristina Polidori
Institute of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology I, Heinrich Heine University, Dusseldorf, Germany
J Card Fail 10:334-8. 2004....
- Isoprostanes and the kidneyKamal F Badr
Department of Medicine, American University of Beirut, Beirut, Lebanon
Antioxid Redox Signal 7:236-43. 2005..Here we describe early studies that defined the vasoactive properties of isoprostanes in the kidney, and subsequent discoveries relating to their renal actions and pathophysiologic significance...
- Urinary 8-epi-PGF2alpha and its endogenous beta-oxidation products (2,3-dinor and 2,3-dinor-5,6-dihydro) as biomarkers of total body oxidative stressJ Nourooz-Zadeh
Department of Medicine, Royal Free and University College School of Medicine, London, UK
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 330:731-6. 2005..Simultaneous analysis of urinary 8-epi-PGF2alpha and its metabolites should provide unique tool in clinical trials exploring the role of oxidant injury in human disease...
- Active smoking and a history of smoking are associated with enhanced prostaglandin F(2alpha), interleukin-6 and F2-isoprostane formation in elderly menJ Helmersson
Sections of Geriatrics and Clinical Nutrition Research, Department of Public Health and Caring Sciences, Uppsala University, Sweden
Atherosclerosis 181:201-7. 2005..Subclinical COX- and cytokine-mediated inflammation and oxidative stress are ongoing processes not only in active smokers but also in former smokers which may contribute to the accelerated atherosclerosis associated with smoking...
- Biomarkers of oxidative stress and antioxidant status in children born small for gestational age: evidence of lipid peroxidationMaria C P Franco
Division of Nephrology, School of Medicine, Federal University of Sao Paulo, 04023 900 São Paulo, Brazil
Pediatr Res 62:204-8. 2007..In conclusion, the current study revealed that there is evidence of oxidative stress in children born small for gestational age as supported by increased lipid peroxidation...
- Biomarkers for oxidative stress: measurement, validation, and applicationEtsuo Niki
National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology, Human Stress Signal Research Center, Osaka, Japan
J Med Invest 52:228-30. 2005..Total hydroxyoctadecadienoic acid (HODE) and 7-hydroxycholesterol measured after reduction and saponification of biological fluids may be used as reliable biomarker...
- Iron and 8-isoprostane levels in acute and chronic woundsSim Yeoh-Ellerton
University of Western Australia, Department of Surgery, Fremantle Hospital, Australia
J Invest Dermatol 121:918-25. 2003..001). These results suggest the existence of an environment of oxidative stress in chronic wounds and the likely contribution of iron to exacerbating tissue damage and delaying healing in these wounds...
- Effects of bezafibrate and simvastatin on endothelial activation and lipid peroxidation in hypercholesterolemia: evidence of different vascular protection by different lipid-lowering treatmentsGiovambattista Desideri
Department of Internal Medicine and Public Health, University of L Aquila, 67100 Coppito L Aquila, Italy
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 88:5341-7. 2003..Thus, a different vascular protection can be achieved by different lipid-lowering treatments...
- A dose-response study on the effects of purified lycopene supplementation on biomarkers of oxidative stressSridevi Devaraj
Laboratory for Atherosclerosis and Metabolic Research, University of California Davis Medical Center, 4635 2nd Avenue, Sacramento, CA 95817, USA
J Am Coll Nutr 27:267-73. 2008..Thus, we tested the effects of different doses of purified lycopene supplementation on biomarkers of oxidative stress in healthy volunteers...
- Effect of losartan on oxidative stress-induced hypertension in Sprague-Dawley ratsMohamed A Bayorh
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Morehouse School of Medicine, Atlanta, Georgia 30310 1495, USA
Am J Hypertens 16:387-92. 2003....
- Increased renal medullary H2O2 leads to hypertensionAyako Makino
Department of Physiology, Medical College of Wisconsin, 8701 Watertown Plank Rd, Milwaukee, WI 53226, USA
Hypertension 42:25-30. 2003....
- Effect of vitamin E and eccentric exercise on selected biomarkers of oxidative stress in young and elderly menJennifer M Sacheck
Nutrition, Exercise Physiology, and Sarcopenia Laboratory, Tufts University, Boston, MA 02111, USA
Free Radic Biol Med 34:1575-88. 2003....
- Uric acid reduces exercise-induced oxidative stress in healthy adultsW S Waring
Clinical Pharmacology Unit and Research Centre, University of Edinburgh, Western General Hospital, Edinburgh EH4 2XU, Scotland, UK
Clin Sci (Lond) 105:425-30. 2003..These findings indicate that the antioxidant properties of UA are of biological importance in vivo...
- Enhanced lipid peroxidation and platelet activation in the early phase of type 1 diabetes mellitus: role of interleukin-6 and disease durationGiovanni Davi
Center of Excellence on Aging and Department of Medicine, University of Chieti G d Annunzio Schools of Medicine and Pharmacy, Chieti, Italy
Circulation 107:3199-203. 2003..We also investigated the relationship between inflammatory markers and F2-isoprostane formation in this setting...
- Isoprostanes: are they more than physiopathological biomarkers of lipid peroxidation?Jean Luc Cracowski
Circulation 107:e222; author reply e222. 2003
- Lipid and protein oxidation contribute to a prothrombotic state in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitusR De Cristofaro
Center of Excellence on Aging, G D Annunziou University School of Medicine and Pharmacy, Chieti, Italy
J Thromb Haemost 1:250-6. 2003..In conclusion, OS in T2DM involves circulating proteins and is associated with an unbalanced promotion of procoagulant reactions. These effects in concert with platelet activation may contribute to atherothrombotic complications in T2DM...
- Vitamin C supplementation decreases oxidative stress biomarker f2-isoprostanes in plasma of nonsmokers exposed to environmental tobacco smokeMarion Dietrich
School of Public Health, University of California Berkeley, 140 Warren Hall, Berkeley, CA 94720 7360, USA
Nutr Cancer 45:176-84. 2003..Daily AO supplementation (especially with vitamin C) decreases this oxidative stress biomarker in passive smokers. This finding might be of importance for the prevention of ETS-associated adverse health effects in nonsmokers...
- Protective activity of tomato products on in vivo markers of lipid oxidationFrancesco Visioli
Department of Pharmacological Science, University of Milan, Via Balzaretti 9, 20133, Milano, Italy
Eur J Nutr 42:201-6. 2003..It has been suggested that regular consumption of tomato products improves antioxidant defenses due to their endogenous antioxidant compounds, notably lycopene...
- Clinical oxidation parameters of agingPeter Voss
Research Institute for Environmental Medicine, Molecular Aging Research, Heinrich Heine University Duesseldorf, D 40225, Duesseldorf, Germany
Free Radic Res 40:1339-49. 2006..This set should include at least one marker for the LPO, the protein oxidation and the total antioxidative status and ideally also one for DNA damages...
- Human tear lipocalin acts as an oxidative-stress-induced scavenger of potentially harmful lipid peroxidation products in a cell culture systemM Lechner
, , Fritz Pregl Strasse 3, A-6020 Innsbruck, Austria
Biochem J 356:129-35. 2001..These results support the idea that lcn-1 acts as a physiological scavenger of potentially harmful lipophilic molecules; lcn-1 might therefore be a novel member of the cellular defence against the deleterious effects of oxidative stress...
- Chronic aminoguanidine attenuates renal dysfunction and injury in aging ratsJ F Reckelhoff
Department of Physiology and Biophysics, University of Mississippi Medical Center, Jackson 39216-4505, USA
Am J Hypertens 12:492-8. 1999..These findings suggest that aminoguanidine attenuates aging renal dysfunction by inhibiting a pathophysiologic function of iNOS that is independent of free radical-mediated lipid peroxidation or significant effects on AGE deposition...
- Oxidative stress and antioxidant status in fetal circulation in preeclampsiaKristin Braekke
Department of Pediatric Intensive Care, Ulleval University Hospital, 0407 Oslo, Norway
Pediatr Res 60:560-4. 2006..In conclusion, no evidence of increased oxidative stress, evaluated by 8-isoprostane concentration, was found in fetal circulation in preeclampsia...
- Lipid peroxidation is increased in paraoxonase L55 homozygotes compared with M-allele carriersR Malin
Tampere University Hospital, Centre for Laboratory Medicine, Department of Clinical Chemistry and University of Tampere, Medical School; P.O. Box 2000, 33521 Tampere, Finland
Free Radic Res 34:477-84. 2001..PON may thus protect against oxidative stress by destroying some biologically active lipids. Excretion of 8-iso-PGF(2alpha) is increased in type 2 diabetes, which may reflect oxidant injury...
- Oxidative stress in cystic fibrosis: dietary and metabolic factorsL G Wood
Discipline of Nutrition and Dietetics, University of Newcastle, Callaghan, New South Wales, Australia
J Am Coll Nutr 20:157-65. 2001..The immune response appears to be a key factor causing oxidative stress. Antioxidant intervention aimed at reducing oxidative stress in CF needs to be assessed...
- Increase of isoprostane 8-epi-PGF(2alpha)after restarting smokingF Chehne
Department of Nuclear Medicine, University of Vienna, A-1090 Vienna, Austria
Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids 64:307-10. 2001..These data indicate a fast response of restarting as on quitting smoking on in vivo oxidation injury. The oxidation injury reflected by 8-epi-PGF(2alpha)may be a key pathogenetic mechanism in smoking-induced vascular injury...
- Human halothane metabolism, lipid peroxidation, and cytochromes P(450)2A6 and P(450)3A4E D Kharasch
Department of Anesthesiology, University of Washington, Seattle 98195, USA
Eur J Clin Pharmacol 55:853-9. 2000..This investigation tested the hypotheses that halothane causes lipid peroxidation in humans in vivo, and that CYP2A6 or CYP3A4 inhibition can diminish halothane metabolism...
- Effect of the isoprostanes, 8-iso prostaglandin E2 and 8-iso prostaglandin F2 alpha on the rabbit lung in vivoA A Hill
Department of Clinical Pharmacology, RPMS, Hammersmith Hospital, London
Prostaglandins 53:69-82. 1997..We conclude that the aerosolised isoprostanes are not broncho-constricting agents in the rabbit in vivo...
- A prospective, randomized clinical trial to compare the effect of hyperbaric to normobaric hyperoxia on cerebral metabolism, intracranial pressure, and oxygen toxicity in severe traumatic brain injurySarah B Rockswold
Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Hennepin County Medical Center, Minneapolis, Minnesota 55415, USA
J Neurosurg 112:1080-94. 2010..Hyperoxia can be delivered to the brain under normobaric as well as hyperbaric conditions. In this study the authors directly compare hyperbaric oxygen (HBO2) and normobaric hyperoxia (NBH) treatment effects...
- The influence of isoprostanes on ADP-induced platelet aggregation and cyclic AMP-generation in human plateletsN Leitinger
Department of Nuclear Medicine, University of Vienna, Austria
Thromb Res 86:337-42. 1997..In this study we investigate possible pro- or antiaggregatory properties of various F- and E-type isoprostanes on human platelets...
- Insulin sensitivity and cardiovascular risk factors in ovariectomized monkeys with estradiol alone or combined with nomegestrol acetateJ D Wagner
Department of Comparative Medicine, Bowman Gray School of Medicine, Winston Salem, North Carolina 27157 1040, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 83:896-901. 1998..In conclusion, NA, a progestin without androgenic activity, may still affect some cardiovascular risk factors differently than estrogen-only therapy. However, it seems to be less detrimental than MPA...
- Cold storage induces time-dependent F2-isoprostane formation in renal tubular cells and rat kidneysA Salahudeen
Department of Medicine, University of Mississippi Medical Center, Jackson, USA
Kidney Int 55:1759-62. 1999..Because free radical-induced lipid peroxidation catalyzes the cyclooxygenase-independent formation of vasoconstrictive F2-isoprostanes, the hypothesis that isoprostanes are produced during cold storage was tested in this study...
- In vivo oxidative damage in rats is associated with barbiturate response but not other cytochrome P450 inducersMiroslav Dostalek
Department of Biochemistry, Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, Nashville, TN 37232 0146, USA
Mol Pharmacol 72:1419-24. 2007..These studies define the contribution of P450s to oxidative stress in vivo, in that the phenomenon is relatively restricted and most P450s do not contribute substantially...
- Platelet activation and lipid peroxidation in patients with acute ischemic strokeF van Kooten
Department of Neurology, University Hospital Rotterdam, Netherlands
Stroke 28:1557-63. 1997....
- Prostanoid and TP-receptors in atherothrombosis: is there a role for their antagonism?Chiara Giannarelli
Atherothrombosis Research Unit, Cardiovascular Institute, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, New York 10029, USA
Thromb Haemost 104:949-54. 2010....
- Maternal cigarette smoking increases F2-isoprostanes and reduces prostacyclin and nitric oxide in umbilical vesselsR Obwegeser
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University Hospital Vienna, Austria
Prostaglandins Other Lipid Mediat 57:269-79. 1999..We suggest that smoking might enhance the vasoconstrictory capacity in umbilical arteries by increased F2-isoprostanes and by a simultaneous decrease in the production of the vasodilatory compounds, prostacyclin, and nitric oxide...
- Increase in alveolar antioxidant levels in hyperoxic and anoxic ventilated rabbit lungs during ischemiaReinhold Schmidt
Medizinische Klinik II, Zentrum fur Innere Medizin, Justus Liebig University, Giessen, Germany
Free Radic Biol Med 36:78-89. 2004..This is paralleled by an increase rather than a decrease in alveolar antioxidant levels, suggested to reflect an adaptive response to oxidative stress during ischemia...
- Anticholinesterase toxicity and oxidative stressDejan Milatovic
Department of Pediatrics, Medical School, Vanderbilt University, Nashville, TN, USA
ScientificWorldJournal 6:295-310. 2006..This review describes the mechanisms involved in anticholinesterase-induced oxidative/nitrosative injury in target organs of OPs/CMs, and protection by various agents...
- Therapeutic hypothermia preserves antioxidant defenses after severe traumatic brain injury in infants and childrenHulya Bayir
Safar Center for Resuscitation Research, Children s Hospital of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Crit Care Med 37:689-95. 2009..Our objective was to determine the effect of therapeutic hypothermia on oxidative damage after severe TBI in infants and children randomized to moderate hypothermia vs. normothermia...
- Oxidative stress, isoprostanes and hepatic fibrosisMario Comporti
Department of Pathophysiology, Experimental Medicine and Public Health, University of Siena, Italy
Histol Histopathol 24:893-900. 2009..Immunocytochemical studies showed the major localization of TxA2r in the perinuclear site and its colocalization with alpha-smooth muscle actin...
- The effect of N-acetylcysteine on renal function, nitric oxide, and oxidative stress after angiographyShai Efrati
Department of Medicine A, Division of Cardiology, Asaf Harofeh Medical Center, Zerifin, Israel
Kidney Int 64:2182-7. 2003..We examined the hypothesis that NAC protected against contrast-induced renal impairment through effects on nitric oxide metabolism and oxidative stress...
- 8-Isoprostaglandin F2 alpha, a product of lipid peroxidation, increases portal pressure in normal and cirrhotic ratsR Marley
Department of Academic Medicine, Royal Free Hospital School of Medicine, London, England
Gastroenterology 112:208-13. 1997..If extrapolated to patients with cirrhosis, lipid peroxidation secondary to alcoholic liver injury, sepsis, or other liver pathology may cause an acute increase in portal pressure such as that observed in acute liver injury...
- Measurement of plasma F2-isoprostanes as an index of lipid peroxidation does not appear to be confounded by dietN K Gopaul
The William Harvey Research Institute, St Bartholomew s and the Royal London School of Medicine and Dentistry, UK
Free Radic Res 33:115-27. 2000....
- Release of the lipid peroxidation marker 8-epi-prostaglandin F2 alpha from isolated gill pavement cellsEric G Spokas
Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, Rider University, Lawrenceville, New Jersey 08648 3099, USA
Environ Toxicol Chem 27:1569-75. 2008..In summary, F2-iP release occurs during lipid peroxidation injury to fish gill epithelium, and its measurement may facilitate aquatic toxicology studies of metallic and nonmetallic contaminants...
- [Study of oxidative stress in advanced kidney disease]M J Puchades Montesa
Servicio de Nefrologia, Hospital Clinico Universitario de Valencia, Valencia, Spain
Nefrologia 29:464-73. 2009..The aim of this study was to asses the oxidation of the main molecular lines in patients with advanced renal disease without dialysis and to determinate the best biomarker to asses this stress...
- Docosahexaenoic acid restores endothelial function in children with hyperlipidemia: results from the EARLY studyM M Engler
University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, CA 94143 0610, USA
Int J Clin Pharmacol Ther 42:672-9. 2004....
- Functional characterization of the ocular prostaglandin f2alpha (PGF2alpha) receptor. Activation by the isoprostane, 12-iso-PGF2alphaP Kunapuli
Center for Experimental Therapeutics, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104, USA
J Biol Chem 272:27147-54. 1997..Four additional F2 isoprostanes, 8-iso-PGF2alpha, IPF2alpha-I, IPF2alpha-III, and 9beta,11beta-PGF2, caused trivial, or no, activation of the ..
- Antioxidant susceptibility of pathogenic pathways in subjects with antiphospholipid antibodies: a pilot studyP R Ames
Coagulation Unit, Cardarelli Hospital, Naples, Italy
Lupus 9:688-95. 2000..01) and albuminuria (P = 0.01) in aPL participants but not in controls. These pilot data support oxidative sensitive mechanisms and a potential role for antioxidant treatment in the pathogenesis of aPL induced vasculopathy...
- Cyclo-oxygenase-1 and -2 differently contribute to prostaglandin E2 synthesis and lipid peroxidation after in vivo activation of N-methyl-D-aspartate receptors in rat hippocampusOlimpia Pepicelli
Department of Cell Biology and Neurosciences, Istituto Superiore di Sanita, Rome, Italy
J Neurochem 93:1561-7. 2005..We suggest that both isoforms should be considered as possible therapeutic targets to prevent brain damage caused by excitotoxicity...
- Knockout of cellular glutathione peroxidase gene renders mice susceptible to diquat-induced oxidative stressY Fu
Department of Animal Science, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853, USA
Free Radic Biol Med 27:605-11. 1999..Responses of hepatic superoxide dismutase activities to the diquat treatment were affected by the GPX1 level. In conclusion, GPX1 is the major selenoprotein to protect mice against the lethal oxidative stress induced by diquat...
- Effect of selenium supplementation on biochemical markers and outcome in critically ill patientsVinita Mishra
Department of Clinical Chemistry, Royal Liverpool University Hospital, Liverpool L69 3GA, UK
Clin Nutr 26:41-50. 2007....
- Enhanced zinc consumption prevents cadmium-induced alterations in lipid metabolism in male ratsJoanna Rogalska
Department of Toxicology, Medical University of Bialystok, Mickiewicza 2c, 15 222 Bialystok, Poland
Chem Biol Interact 177:142-52. 2009..The paper is the first report suggesting protective impact of Zn against proatherogenic Cd action on experimental model of chronic moderate and relatively high human exposure to this toxic metal...
- Elevated plasma F2-isoprostanes in patients on long-term hemodialysisG J Handelman
Antioxidants Research Laboratory, Jean Mayer USDA Human Nutrition Research Center on Aging, Tufts University, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Kidney Int 59:1960-6. 2001..Plasma F2-isoprostanes have been established as an important indicator of in vivo oxidative stress...
- Oxidant stress and peripheral neuropathy during antiretroviral therapy: an AIDS clinical trials group studyTodd Hulgan
Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, Nashville, TN 37203, USA
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 42:450-4. 2006..Mitochondria play a central role in regulating oxidant stress. We explored the relationships between oxidant stress and NRTI-induced peripheral neuropathy...
- 8-Epi-PGF2 alpha, a novel noncyclooxygenase-derived prostaglandin, constricts airways in vitroI Kawikova
Department of Thoracic Medicine, National Heart and Lung Institute, London, United Kingdom
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 153:590-6. 1996..However, if 8-epi-PGF2 alpha is formed in asthma, its production, unlike that of other prostanoids, would not be inhibited by cyclooxygenase inhibitors...
- Identification and measurement of endogenous beta-oxidation metabolites of 8-epi-Prostaglandin F2alphaC Chiabrando
Department of Environmental Health Sciences, Via Eritrea 62, 20157 Milano, Italy
J Biol Chem 274:1313-9. 1999..In conclusion, at least two major beta-oxidation products of 8-epi-PGF2alpha are present in urine, which may be considered as additional analytical targets to evaluate 8-epi-PGF2alpha formation and degradation in vivo...
- F2-isoprostane generation in isolated ferret lungs after oxidant injury or ventilated ischemiaP M Becker
The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Department of Medicine, Baltimore, MD, USA
Free Radic Biol Med 25:703-11. 1998..These results suggest that tissue levels of F2-isoprostanes reflect lung lipid peroxidation, but that F2-isoprostane generation does not directly increase vascular permeability following ventilated pulmonary ischemia...
- Streamlined F2-isoprostane analysis in plasma and urine with high-performance liquid chromatography and gas chromatography/mass spectroscopyM F Walter
Antioxidants Research Laboratory, Jean Mayer USDA Human Nutrition Research Center on Aging, Tufts University, Boston, Massachusetts 02111, USA
Anal Biochem 280:73-9. 2000..1-fold higher in a cigarette smoker than respective control subjects. This method, particularly the substitution of the TLC step common to other methods with HPLC, results in a more sensitive and reproducible assay...
- Isoflavonoids do not inhibit in vivo lipid peroxidation in subjects with high-normal blood pressureJ M Hodgson
University of Western Australia Department of Medicine and the Western Australian Heart Research Institute, Royal Perth Hospital, Australia
Atherosclerosis 145:167-72. 1999..These results are not consistent with the suggestion that the two soy derived isoflavonoids have in vivo antioxidant activity at a level of intake achievable by dietary means and in subjects with high-normal BP...
- Mechanism and prevention of cold storage-induced human renal tubular cell injuryA K Salahudeen
Department of Medicine, University of Mississippi Medical Center, Jackson 39216 4505, USA
Transplantation 70:1424-31. 2000..The objective was, therefore, to seek direct evidence for the free radical production during the cold storage of human renal tubular cells, and to define the roles of extrinsic and intrinsic antioxidants in cold-induced cell injury...
- Formation of isoprostanes in children with type IIa hypercholesterolemiaJ L Cracowski
Laboratory of Pharmacology, Grenoble University Hospital, France
J Cardiovasc Pharmacol 38:228-31. 2001....
- Assessment of oxidant stress in allergic asthma by measurement of the major urinary metabolite of F2-isoprostane, 15-F2t-IsoP (8-iso-PGF2alpha)R Dworski
Department of Critical Care Medicine, Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, T 1217 MCN, Nashville, TN 37232 2650, USA
Clin Exp Allergy 31:387-90. 2001..No increase in the urinary excretion of 15-F2t-IsoP-M occurred after inhalation of methacholine. Allergen challenge causes an oxidant injury in human atopic asthmatics. 15-F2t-IsoP-M is a valuable marker of oxidant stress in vivo...
- The response of muscle interstitial F2-isoprostane (8-ISO-PGF2alpha) during dynamic muscle contractions in humansI Karamouzis
Ergophysiology Laboratory, Department of Physical Education and Sports Science, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Thessaloniki, Greece
Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids 71:87-90. 2004..The microdialysis method is widely applied, easily repeated and it could contribute in evaluating the local lipid muscle peroxidation during intensive exercise...
- [Isoprostanes: new markers of oxidative stress in human diseases]J L Cracowski
Laboratoire de Pharmacologie, Faculte de Medecine de Grenoble, La Tronche
Presse Med 29:604-10. 2000....
- F2 isoprostane levels in plasma and urine do not support increased lipid peroxidation in cognitively impaired Parkinson disease patientsJames Connolly
Department of Neurology, Parkinson s Disease and Movement Disorders Center, Pennsylvania Hospital, Philadelphia, PA 19107, USA
Cogn Behav Neurol 21:83-6. 2008..To determine the utility of 8,12-isoprostaneF2alpha-VI (iP), a specific and sensitive index of lipid peroxidation, as a biomarker for dementia in Parkinson disease (PD)...
- Immunological and metabolic effects of cis-9, trans-11-conjugated linoleic acid in subjects with birch pollen allergyAnu M Turpeinen
Department of Applied Chemistry and Microbiology Nutrition, University of Helsinki, PO Box 66, Helsinki 00014, Finland
Br J Nutr 100:112-9. 2008..01), and 15-keto-dihydro-PGF2alpha, a primary PGF2alpha metabolite (P < 0.05), increased in the CLA group. The results suggest that cis-9, trans-11-CLA has modest anti-inflammatory effects in allergic subjects...
- Effects of the phytoestrogen genistein on some predictors of cardiovascular risk in osteopenic, postmenopausal women: a two-year randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled studyMarco Atteritano
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Messina, Italy
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 92:3068-75. 2007..Genistein, a soy isoflavone, has received wide attention over the last few years because of its potential preventive role for cardiovascular disease...
- Curcumin structure-function, bioavailability, and efficacy in models of neuroinflammation and Alzheimer's diseaseAynun N Begum
Department of Medicine, University of California, Los Angeles, California, USA
J Pharmacol Exp Ther 326:196-208. 2008..were similar, correlating with reduction in LPS-stimulated inducible nitric-oxide synthase, nitrotyrosine, F2 isoprostanes, and carbonyls...
- F4-isoprostanes: a novel class of prostanoids formed during peroxidation of docosahexaenoic acid (DHA)J Nourooz-Zadeh
Centre for Clinical Pharmacology and Therapeutic Toxicology, Department of Medicine, London, England
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 242:338-44. 1998..The possibility of analyzing F4-isoprostanes should provide new opportunities for studying the role of lipid peroxidation in nutritional studies and in the pathogenesis of neurodegenerative diseases...
- Mitochondrial dysfunction, oxidative stress, and surgical acute kidney injuryFREDERIC TREMAINE BILLINGS; Fiscal Year: 2013..Strong institutional investment in the candidate optimizes his likelihood of progressing to independence and impacting on adverse effects of surgery. ..
- EPIDEMIOLOGY: OXIDATIVE STRESS AND EARLY ATHEROSCLEROSISDavid Jacobs; Fiscal Year: 2009..abstract_text> ..
- EPIDEMIOLOGY: OXIDATIVE STRESS AND EARLY ATHEROSCLEROSISDavid R Jacobs; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- Green Tea and Reduction of Breast Cancer RiskMINDY SUSAN KURZER; Fiscal Year: 2013..The development of a viable non-toxic chemoprevention strategy targeting high risk women could have a significant impact on breast cancer morbidity and mortality. ..
- The influence of selenium on biomarkers of prostate cancer riskKARAM E EL-BAYOUMY; Fiscal Year: 2012..Collectively, studies proposed here are essential to the control and prevention of PC in men. ..
- Using Mass Spectroscopy to Characterize Transcription Proteins and F2-IsoprostaneBETTYE HENNINTON; Fiscal Year: 2011..Revealing a part of the story of the regulation of Gcr1 p could yield insight into MLLS's role in this disease. ..
- Functional roles of Nrf2 and NQO1 genetic variants in hyperoxic lung injury-ARDSBhagavatula Moorthy; Fiscal Year: 2013..g., use of PPI such as OM) for the prevention/treatment of ALI/ARDS in humans. ..
- Targeted investigation of tissue specific oxidative stress in the etiology of ALSHolly Van Remmen; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- Role of cytochrome P4501B1 in oxygen-mediated pulmonary injuryBhagavatula Moorthy; Fiscal Year: 2013..This project is aimed at developing novel strategies for the prevention/treatment of lung diseases such as BPD and ARDS in humans. ..
- An Integrated Study of Mitochondrial Pathways in Colorectal CancerBharat Thyagarajan; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- Prenatal diet, PM2.5 and programming of the infant autonomic responseRosalind J Wright; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- Multi-Dimensional Successful Aging Among HIV-Infected AdultsDavid J Moore; Fiscal Year: 2013..Understanding potentially malleable protective versus risk factors at an individual level may lead to development of new interventions aimed at increasing the likelihood of successful aging among people living with HIV. ..
- Long-Chain Fatty Acids, Oxidative Stress and Colorectal Neoplasm RiskHarvey J Murff; Fiscal Year: 2013..The purpose of this study is to determine if omega-3 fatty acids reduce the risk of colorectal adenomas and diminishes the production of inflammatory and oxidative stress biomarkers. ..
- Identification and Significance of Biologic Mediators in Red Cell ConcentratesRichard P Phipps; Fiscal Year: 2012..be studied based on our preliminary and published data include: hemoglobin which alters platelet function;F2 isoprostanes that are markers of oxidative stress and cell damage and directly affect platelet function;and red cell-..
- Mechanisms for Benzo(a)pyrene-Induced Colon Cancer Exacerbation by Dietary FatAramandla Ramesh; Fiscal Year: 2013..Our findings will serve as a prelude to conducting chemoprevention studies for CRC and help to synthesize drugs to prevent or delay the onset of colon cancer. ..
- Weight Loss &Cancer Biomarkers in Women: 0xidative Stress &InflammationANNE M MCTIERNAN; Fiscal Year: 2013..The results of this novel study will elucidate potential mechanisms linking energy balance to cancer in women, which will aid in the development of interventions for reducing risk for several cancers. ..
- Biomarkers of Obesity, Prostate Tissue Inflammation, and BPH ProgressionJay H Fowke; Fiscal Year: 2013..Results may argue for one of several plausible interventions targeting obesity, inflammation, or oxidative stress to delay BPH progression. ..
- Accelerated Biological Aging in SchizophreniaGregory A Light; Fiscal Year: 2013..Discovering whether accelerated biological aging occurs in SZ and understanding the underlying mechanisms should lead to new ways of predicting, tracking, and treating the serious medical co-morbidities commonly seen in this population. ..
- Increased Plasma Nitrite, Tissue Oxygenation and Functional Changes in PADJason David Allen; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- STRUCTURAL IDENTIFICATION OF PROSTAGLANDIN CONJUGATESL Jackson Roberts; Fiscal Year: 2010..Finally, we will test the hypothesis that free radicals and IsoPs play an important role in the renal failure that ensues in glactosamine treated rats, an animal model of the hepatorenal syndrome. ..
- Mechanisms for Dysfunctional HDL Formation in Familial HypercholesterolemiaMacrae F Linton; Fiscal Year: 2013..Our results may lead to the development of new markers of HDL function, provide new pharmacologic targets for improving HDL function, and identify HDL as a target of therapy in FH patients. ..
- Inflammatory Biomarkers and Colorectal Cancer RiskGong Yang; Fiscal Year: 2010..Overall, this study will contribute significantly to the understanding of the role of inflammation in the etiology of CRC and to the development of new strategies for the assessment of CRC risk. ..
- Oxidative Stress and Anti-Inflammatory Lipids in Airway DiseaseBruce D Levy; Fiscal Year: 2010..In this proposal, we seek to develop a better understanding of the natural biological processes invoked during airway infection and inflammation that dysregulate the natural homeostatic mechanisms. (End of Abstract) ..
- Hemolysis, Lipid Oxidation and Vascular Dysfunction in Sickle Cell DiseaseTIMOTHY CHARLES FLEWELEN; Fiscal Year: 2012..When completed, this research should lead to the discovery and exploitation of a new therapeutic target to aid in the treatment of sickle cell disease. ..
- A platform for individualized nutritional therapy in Alzheimer's diseaseGene L Bowman; Fiscal Year: 2012..The nutrient parameters to be studied include homocysteine and its determinants, antioxidants and F2 Isoprostanes as a marker of oxidative stress, the omega 3 fatty acids docosahexaenoic acid and eicosapentaenoic acid, and ..
- QUESTIONABLE DEMENTIA: COURSE AND PREDICTORS OF OUTCOMEDavangere P Devanand; Fiscal Year: 2012..Accurate prediction of MCI conversion to AD will help identify patients who need early treatment, facilitate patient/family planning for their own future, and improve patient selection for clinical trials. ..
- Neuroprotectins and Maresins for Macrophages in Diabetic Wound HealingSong Hong; Fiscal Year: 2013..These mechanisms may be potential targets for developing therapeutical strategies to cure the nonhealing of diabetes-impaired wounds. ..
- Exhaled NO and Oxidative Stress in Systemic Sclerosis Pulmonary HypertensionPaul M Hassoun; Fiscal Year: 2012..By providing mechanistic insights, this research may also serve as a basis for the testing of novel therapeutic classes, such as anti-oxidants and/or NO donors. ..
- Gastrin-Releasing Peptide and Bronchopulmonary DysplasiaJudith A Voynow; Fiscal Year: 2013..Aim 2: To determine whether reactive oxygen species (indicated by elevated urinary F2-isoprostane metabolites, 8-hydroxy-2'-deoxyguanosine, allantoin) directly correlate with increased GRP. ..
- NRF2 Anti-Oxidant Systems and White Matter HyperintensitiesFrank R Sharp; Fiscal Year: 2013..It will also begin to provide the rationale and preliminary data needed before antioxidant trials would be undertaken to reduce WMH with the goal of delaying or preventing cognitive decline. ..
- Non-Invasive Quantitation of Cellular and Biochemical Changes in Hereditary AtaxiGULIN OZ; Fiscal Year: 2009..Successful application of such treatments is expected to reduce the burden caused by these diseases on individuals, their families and society. ..
- Fatty Acids, Angiotensin and Oxidative StressBrent Egan; Fiscal Year: 2004..We believe the information generated by the proposed studies has the potential for elucidating biological mechanisms underlying obesity-associated hypertension and the potential for dietary anti-oxidants to modulate BP. ..
- OXIDATIVE STRESS IN SEIZURE INDUCED NEURONAL INJURYWOLF DIETRICH DETTBARN; Fiscal Year: 1999..as DFP and KA produce seizure-induce neuronal necrosis via ROS-induced lipid peroxidation and generation of F2 isoprostanes. As such, these studies will provide fundamental new insights into the molecular events underlying oxidant-..
- Supplemental Se and Vitamin E and Pulmonary FunctionPATRICIA CASSANO; Fiscal Year: 2007..This study could have enormous public health significance, because supplementation with antioxidant nutrients would be an inexpensive and practicable means to reduce morbidity and mortality from pulmonary disease. ..
- ALCOHOL-INDUCED HEPATIC P450s IN HCV/HIV OXIDATE INJURYSTEVEN SHEDLOFSKY; Fiscal Year: 2003..These studies will define the role of P450s in the alcohol enhancement of HCV liver injury and might suggest P450 inhibitors as therapies for HCV infected individuals even if they continue to drink alcohol. ..
- Molecular mechanisms of cytochrome P4501A regulation by hyperoxiaBhagavatula Moorthy; Fiscal Year: 2010..Using animal and cell culture models, this project is aimed at developing rational strategies for the prevention and treatment of lung diseases (e.g. BPD and ARDS) associated with hyperoxia. ..
- ISOPROSTANES IN LIVER DISEASE-INDUCED RENAL DYSFUNCTIONLuis Juncos; Fiscal Year: 2004..Our proposed application therefore characterizes the renal vascular actions of oxidative stress and isoprostanes, and evaluates their role in the c-BDL rats. ..
- Liver Fibrosis, Inflammation & Oxidative Stress MarkersCharles Lieber; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Protective Efficacy of Mg-Supplementation Against NRTI-induced Cardiac ToxicityIVAN MAK; Fiscal Year: 2007..This proposed exploratory effort may reveal a potential usefulness of Mg-supplements as an effective, yet relatively inexpensive adjunct therapy to lessen NRTI-related cardiovascular toxicity. ..
- Age, gender and skeletal muscle microcirculationLEAH HAMMER; Fiscal Year: 2004..The data generated from this proposal will enhance our knowledge of changes in skeletal muscle microcirculation function with aging and will broaden our understanding of gender difference in cardiovascular function. ..
- Oxidant Stress and Antioxidants during HIV TherapyTodd Hulgan; Fiscal Year: 2007..The candidate's long-term goal is to develop into an independent clinical investigator in this field of study. ..
- CLINICAL STUDIES IN NUTRITION AND METABOLISMIshwarlal Jialal; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- ADENOSINE 3 RECEPTOR AGONIST FOR TREATMENT OF COLITISAndrew Salzman; Fiscal Year: 2000..PROPOSED COMMERCIAL APPLICATIONS: The market for a safe and effective novel therapeutic for inflammatory bowel disease would is in excess of $1 billion per annum in the US. ..
- BRAIN OXIDATIVE STRESS--A SIGN OF AGING OR EMINENT DEATHMostafa Badr; Fiscal Year: 2000..Consequently, early diagnosis of this condition may present the opportunity to intervene to slow or halt neuronal degeneration and aging. ..
- Antioxidant Functions of Lipoic AcidJames May; Fiscal Year: 2004..Despite the widespread use of lipoic acid, these studies are necessary to establish the biological basis and rationale for the clinical use of the agent. ..
- OXIDATION RISK FACTORS AND IMT PROGESSION IN FHPaul Hopkins; Fiscal Year: 2004..Our major hypothesis is that IMT progression will be strongly related to the balance of pro-oxidant and antioxidant factors. The newly added imaging techniques will allow us to compare and contrast results using these endpoints as well. ..
- Diabetes, Exercise and Postprandial Oxidative StressLauretta Quinn; Fiscal Year: 2005..insulin, C-peptides and triglycerides) following 3 meals; (2) postprandial oxidative stress (total MDA, F2 Isoprostanes, total hydroperoxides, vitamin A, E and carotenoids) and LDL susceptibility to oxidation (lag time, maximal ..
- IMMUNOASSAY FOR A NON-ENZYMATIC ARACHIDONATE DERIVATIVEKRISHNAMOORTHY SANKARAN; Fiscal Year: 1993....
- SOCIAL AND PHYSICAL ENVIRONMENTS AND HEALTH DISPARITIESAmy Schulz; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- Mechanisms of CYP1A regulation and lung injury by oxygenWeiwu Jiang; Fiscal Year: 2007..g., F2 isoprostanes and isofurans), whose levels are elevated in hyperoxic lungs. We proposed 2 Specific Aims. 1...
- Non-traditional Cardiovascular Risk Factors in DM type 2Peter Reaven; Fiscal Year: 2004..Long- term (future) aims will include evaluating the prospective relationship of these novel cardiovascular risk factors to the progression of atherosclerosis and the development of macrovascular disease in this same population. ..
- HUMAN ISOPROSTANE METABOLITES--DETECTING OXIDANT STRESSDIANE SASAKI; Fiscal Year: 1999..Recent studies indicate that a large percentage of free F2 isoprostanes detected in urine is produced locally by the kidney, whereas F2 isoprostanes derived from systemic oxidant ..
- TGF-Beta, Glucose and Nephropathy in African AmericansBonita Falkner; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- ATHEROSCLEROSIS IN RACHARLES STEIN; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- Vitamin D/Calcium and Oxidative Stress and Inflammation BiomarkersROBERD MANER BOSTICK; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- CYTOCHROME P450 AND LUNG IN HUMAN PRETERM INFANTSROBERT COTTON; Fiscal Year: 2000....
- CORONARY REACTIVITY AND OXIDATIVE STRESSJoseph Vita; Fiscal Year: 1999..To examine the contribution of superoxide production to abnormal coronary activity, vasomotor responses will be examined following treatment with specific inhibitors of superoxide action. ..
- OXIDATIVE DAMAGE AND THE RISK OF CORONARY HEART DISEASEMark Woodward; Fiscal Year: 2004..Each case will be matched to two controls who had no CHD event, giving a total sample size of 879. ..
- Oxidative Stress and Genetics of PrehypertensionShawna Nesbitt; Fiscal Year: 2004..will: 1) in the placebo group, determine if individuals with high normal BP and high oxidative stress levels (F2 isoprostanes and glutathione ratio) are at high risk for progression to hypertension; 2) in the ARB group, determine if ..
- Reactive gamma-Ketoaldehydes in DementiaL Roberts; Fiscal Year: 2008..We will also explore a novel pharmacologic intervention, the ability of pyridoxamine to selectively prevent IsoK/NK adduction and mitigate the memory deficit in the mouse model. ..
- Lipid Oxidation Products in Alzheimer's DiseaseThomas Montine; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- CATECHOL THIOETHERS IN PARKINSON'S DISEASEThomas Montine; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- LIPID PEROXIDATION AND APOE IN ALZHEIMERS DISEASEThomas Montine; Fiscal Year: 2003..This new information will aid in laying the foundation for designing rational therapeutic approaches to ameliorate brain oxidative damage in Alzheimer's disease. ..