Genomes and Genes
Summary: PHENOTHIAZINES with an amino group at the 3-position that are green crystals or powder. They are used as biological stains.
Publications159 found, 100 shown here
- Plasmodium yoelii: a differential fluorescent technique using Acridine Orange to identify infected erythrocytes and reticulocytes in Duffy knockout mouseLili Xu
Laboratory of Cell Biology, New York Blood Center, New York 10021, USA
Exp Parasitol 110:80-7. 2005..yoelii invasion into erythrocytes and reticulocytes of Duffy positive and Duffy knockout mice. Moreover, we show that this method can be used to determine the maturity of reticulocytes in the peripheral blood of anemic mice...
- Ultrafast Papanicolaou stain and cell-transfer technique enhance cytologic diagnosis of Hodgkin lymphomaYouli Zu
Department of Pathology, New York University School of Medicine, New York, New York, USA
Diagn Cytopathol 27:308-11. 2002..UFP staining was found to have no deleterious effect on the immunoreactivity of cellular CD15 and CD30 antigens of HRS cells. This simple protocol enhances the cytologic diagnosis of HL, feasible even with a single smear...
- In silico chromosome staining: reconstruction of Giemsa bands from the whole human genome sequenceYoshihito Niimura
Center for Information Biology and DNA Data Bank of Japan, National Institute of Genetics, 1111, Yata, Mishima, Shizuoka 411 8540, Japan
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 99:797-802. 2002..These findings are consistent with the model that matrix-associated regions, which are known to be AT-rich, are present more densely in Giemsa-dark bands than in -light bands...
- Detection of Leishmania infantum kinetoplast DNA in laryngeal tissue from an immunocompetent patientFrancesca Guddo
Unità Operativa di Anatomia ed Istologia Patologica, Ospedale V Cervello, Palermo 90148, Italy
Hum Pathol 36:1140-2. 2005....
- A survey of malarial infection in endemic areas of Savannakhet province, Lao PDR and comparative diagnostic efficiencies of Giemsa staining, acridine orange staining, and semi-nested multiplex PCRNaly Khaminsou
College of Health Technology, Vientiane, Lao Democratic People s Republic
Parasitol Int 57:143-9. 2008....
- [The level of spontaneous chromosome aberrations in children from ecologically clean region of Ukraine studied with cytogenetic analysis of uniformly and differentially stained metaphase chromosomes]M A Pilins'ka
Tsitol Genet 38:45-8. 2004..The frequency of chromosome aberrations in children from Lviv region of Ukraine born after Chernobyl accident have been determined using conventional and G-banding staining...
- The use of flow cytometry as a diagnostic test for malaria parasitesVaree Wongchotigul
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Faculty of Tropical Medicine, Mahidol University, Bangkok, Thailand
Southeast Asian J Trop Med Public Health 35:552-9. 2004..Further improvement, by eliminating this interference, will make the FCM one of the most promising tests for malaria diagnosis...
- [Current situation of the malaria inspection in Jikei University Hospital]Junko Tanno
Central Clinical Laboratories, Jikei University Hospital, Minato ku, Tokyo 105 8461
Rinsho Byori 52:212-6. 2004..Thus it would be a very useful and accurate strategy to use this antigen detection kit in a routine laboratory check up...
- Comparison of normal sperm morphology outcomes from two different computer-assisted semen analysis systemsK Coetzee
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Tygerberg Hospital, Tygerberg, South Africa
Andrologia 33:159-63. 2001..The results also indicate that, of the two stains used, Diff-Quik should be the preferred staining method for computer-assisted sperm morphology evaluations...
- Atomic force microscopy of human metaphase chromosomes after differential staining of sister chromatidsEiji Kimura
Division of Microscopic Anatomy and Bio imaging, Department of Cellular Function, Niigata University Graduate School of Medical and Dental Sciences, Niigata, Japan
Arch Histol Cytol 67:171-7. 2004..e., bifilarly BrdU-incorporated chromatid) exhibited a fine granular appearance. These structural changes in the sister chromatids are thought to arise from the ultraviolet irradiation and heating of the chromosomes during FPG staining...
- Evaluation of quantitative buffy coat (QBC) assay and polymerase chain reaction (PCR) for diagnosis of malariaD Barman
Dept of Microbiology, Malaria Research Group, ICGEB, New Delhi
J Commun Dis 35:170-81. 2003..The lower sensitivity of PCR for P. falciparum could probably be due to inaccessibility of target DNA, presence of PCR inhibitors in samples and parasite strain variations...
- Immunodetection of 5'-methylcytosine on Giemsa-stained chromosomesWerner Pfarr
Upper Austrian Research GmbH, Austria
Biotechniques 38:527-8, 530. 2005
- Feasibility and limitations of acridine orange fluorescence technique using a Malaria Diagnosis Microscope in MyanmarYe Htut
Parasitology Research Division, Department of Medical Research Lower Myanmar, No 5, Ziwaka Road, Yangon 11191, Myanmar
Acta Med Okayama 56:219-22. 2002..With the exception of species differentiation, which is not possible with this method, this method would be appropriate for both clinical and epidemiological studies...
- Comparison of Quantitative Buffy Coat technique (QBC) with Giemsa-stained Thick Film (GTF) for diagnosis of malariaG O Adeoye
Department of Zoology, University of Lagos, Akoka, Yaba, Lagos, Nigeria
Parasitol Int 56:308-12. 2007..However, its speed and ease of use make it an important new tool for the diagnosis of malaria...
- Detection of Plasmodium vivax and Plasmodium falciparum in blood donors: comparison of new method to the conventional oneYaşar Ali Oner
Department of Microbiology and Clinical Microbiology, Istanbul Medical Faculty, Istanbul University, 34390 Fatih Istanbul, Turkey
Transfus Apher Sci 30:3-7. 2004..Neither the OptiMAL Rapid Malaria Test nor the gold standard Giemsa staining method detected infected erythrocytes and Plasmodium lactate dehydrogenase...
- Comparison of the OptiMAL rapid test with routine microscopic examination of Giemsa-Stained Thick Blood Film for diagnosis of malariaK Congpuong
Department of Communicable Disease Control, Ministry of Public Health, Nonthaburi, Thailand
J Med Assoc Thai 84:357-63. 2001..05) and was simple, easy to perform and rapid. It is an alternative tool for the diagnosis of malaria in a hyperendemic area where experienced microscopists are not available...
- Newly recognized cellular abnormalities in the gray platelet syndromeA Drouin
INSERM U. 474, , Paris, France
Blood 98:1382-91. 2001..Furthermore, the secretory compartment of another blood cell line, the neutrophil, was also affected in this family of GPS...
- [Role of Dientamoeba fragilis in human bowel infections]Daniele Crotti
Libero professionista in Parassitologia e Microbiologia Medica, Perugia, Italy
Infez Med 15:30-9. 2007....
- Comparison of 4', 6'-diamidino-2-phenylindole and Giemsa stainings in preimplantation mouse embryos micronucleus assay including a triple dose studyYing Tian
Department of Environmental Health, School of Public Health, Shanghai Jiao Tong University, Shanghai, China
Ind Health 45:343-7. 2007..Thus, we recommend that Giemsa staining technique be a standard staining method in detecting MN of preimplantation embryos induced by occupational or environmental hazards...
- Chlamydia trachomatis in the conjunctiva of children living in three rural areas in MexicoPablo Goldschmidt
Laboratoire du Centre National d Ophtalmologie des Quinze Vingts, Paris, France
Rev Panam Salud Publica 22:29-34. 2007..Because the levels of C. trachomatis eye infections in Mexico are unknown, this study sought to determine if C. trachomatis was present in the conjunctiva of children living in three poor, rural areas of the country...
- Infectivity of hepatic strain Klebsiella pneumoniae in diabetic miceJune Hsieh Wu
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, College of Medicine, Chang Gung University, 259 Wen Hua 1 Road, Kwei San, Tao Yuan 333 Taiwan
Exp Biol Med (Maywood) 230:757-61. 2005..High blood bacterial count and appearance of bacteria in liver sinus and cells usually contribute to death of the animals...
- Staining human lymphocytes and onion root cell nuclei with madder rootN Cucer
Medical Faculty, Department of Medical Biology, Erciyes University, Kayseri, Turkey
Biotech Histochem 80:15-20. 2005..The pH was adjusted to 4.2 with 6 ml acetic acid. We conclude that madder root has potential as an alternative dye for staining biological materials...
- Positional approaches to cancer geneticsGavin P Robertson
Department of Pharmacology, Penn State College of Medicine, Hershey, USA
Methods Mol Biol 222:339-64. 2003
- Detection of Pneumocystis carinii in induced sputum samples of HIV positive patientsM Mishra
Indian J Med Microbiol 24:149-50. 2006
- Comparison of methods for identification of Pneumocystis carinii in bronchoalveolar lavage fluidWilai Saksirisampant
Department of Parasitology, Faculty of Medicine, Chulalongkom University, Bangkok, Thailand
J Med Assoc Thai 85:S407-14. 2002..They revealed the morphology as seen with toluidine blue O but the cost of material may make it unavailable in many laboratories especially with the budgetary restraints of developing countries...
- [Dientamoeba fragilis: is it really fragile? Approach to specimen handling and rapid microscopic diagnosis]E De Canale
Unità Operativa di Microbiologia e Virologia, Azienda Ospedaliera di Padova, Padova, Italia
Parassitologia 45:19-22. 2003..Demonstration of the charateristic "golf-club" and "acanthopodia-like" structures in unstained fixed faecal material by direct microscopy (400x) are suitable for a rapid identification of D. fragilis...
- Helicobacter pylori infection in the pharynx of patients with chronic pharyngitis detected with TDI-FP and modified Giemsa stainJiang Ping Zhang
Department of Otolaryngology, Second Hospital of Xi an Jiaotong University, Shaanxi Province, China
World J Gastroenterol 12:468-72. 2006..To detect whether there is Helicobacter pylori (H pylori) colonization in the pharynx mucous membrane of healthy people and whether chronic pharyngitis is related to H pylori infection...
- Size of azurophil lysosomes of human PMNs determined by stereological morphometryDavid J Pippin
Department of Periodontics, University of Missouri Kansas City School of Dentistry, Kansas City, Missouri 64108 2795, USA
Ultrastruct Pathol 27:261-3. 2003..This study reports the size of ellipsoidal azurophil lysosomes to be 335 nm with a standard deviation of 97 nm...
- Morphologic, cytometric and functional characterisation of abalone (Haliotis tuberculata) haemocytesMarie Agnès Travers
CNRS UMR 6539 Laboratoire des sciences de l Environnement MARin, Institut Universitaire Europeen de la Mer, Universite de Bretagne Occidentale, Place Copernic, 29280 Plouzane, France
Fish Shellfish Immunol 24:400-11. 2008..This study is the first step towards understanding the H. tuberculata immune system by adapting new tools to gastropods and in providing a first detailed morpho-functional study of their haemocytes...
- Study of the cost-effectiveness of three staining methods for identification of Pneumocystis carinii in bronchoalveolar lavage fluidViroj Wiwanitkit
Department of Laboratory Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Chulalongkorn University, Bangkok 10330, Thailand
Trop Doct 35:23-5. 2005
- The importance of a negative imageBarbara J Bain
Department of Haematology, Imperial College Faculty of Medicine, St, Mary s Hospital, London, United Kingdom
Am J Hematol 83:410. 2008
- Characterization of translocations in human cancerKeri Fair
Section of Hematology Oncology, University of Chicago, IL, USA
Methods Mol Biol 222:327-37. 2003
- Scan-and-treat methodology using Azure A fast stain as a cost-effective cervical cancer screening alternative to visual inspection with acetic acidMartial Guillaud
Department of Cancer Imaging, British Columbia Cancer Research Center, 601 West 10th Avenue, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada V5Z 1L3
Gynecol Oncol 107:S256-9. 2007
- Wright-Giemsa and nonspecific esterase staining of cellsW Strober
National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, Bethesda, Maryland, USA
Curr Protoc Cytom . 2001..Thus, this staining reaction can be used to identify monocytes/macrophages in cell preparations...
- Staining sections with GiemsaJohn A Kiernan
Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology, The University of Western Ontario, London, Canada
Biotech Histochem 79:108-9. 2004
- Establishment of a human/Chinese hamster hybrid clone panelY Xu
Institute of Genetics, Fudan University, Shanghai
Sci Sin B 30:630-7. 1987..A primary hybrid clone panel has been established, which can be used to map genes on chromosomes 4, 5, 8, 12, 20 and 22. Since the panel contains deleted chromosomes 4, 5, 8 and 12, genes on these chromosomes can be mapped regionally...
- Negative image of blastomyces on diff-quik stainDima Youssef
James H Quillen Veterans Affairs Medical Center, and Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Infectious Diseases, James H Quillen College of Medicine, East Tennessee State University, Johnson City, Tenn, USA
Acta Cytol 55:377-81. 2011..Thus, documentation of such an organism on cytology offers a quick and cost-effective alternative. This report describes for the first time identification of the 'negative image' of Blastomyces budding yeast...
- The Ag-NOR proteins present a crescent-shaped distribution at the secondary constrictions of metaphase PtK1 chromosomesJ A Suja
Departamento de Biologia, Universidad Autonoma de Madrid, Spain
Cytogenet Cell Genet 75:155-8. 1996..These observations, together with our own and previously reported light microscopy results obtained on silver-stained mammalian chromosomes, lead us to suggest a mechanism for the formation of apparent secondary constrictions at NORs...
- Evaluation of a new immunochromatography test for rapid and simultaneous detection of Clostridium difficile antigen and toxinsZmira Samra
Department of Clinical Microbiology, Rabin Medical Center Beilinson Campus, Petah Tikva, Israel
Isr Med Assoc J 15:373-6. 2013..The Tox A/B enzyme immunoassay (EIA) is the most widely used test for the detection of C. difficile toxins A and B. However, it is associated with poor sensitivity and an unacceptable high rate of false-negative results...
- Decolourisation of dyes under electro-Fenton process using Fe alginate gel beadsE Rosales
Department of Chemical Engineering, University of Vigo, Isaac Newton Building, Campus As Lagoas, Marcosende 36310, Vigo, Spain
J Hazard Mater 213:369-77. 2012..Consequently, the stable performance of Fe alginate beads opens promising perspectives for fast and economical treatment of wastewater polluted by dyes or similar organic contaminants...
- Promotion of bone formation by simvastatin in polyethylene particle-induced osteolysisFabian von Knoch
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Kantonsspital Chur, Loestrasse 170, 7000 Chur, Switzerland
Biomaterials 26:5783-9. 2005..These new findings indicate that simvastatin may have favorable osteoanabolic effects on wear debris-mediated osteolysis after total joint arthroplasty, involving local stimulation of osteoblastic bone formation...
- Mastocytosis in children: clinicopathological study based on 35 casesA E Kiszewski
Section of Pediatric Dermatology, Santo Antônio Children Hospital ISCMPA, Porto Alegre, Brazil
Histol Histopathol 22:535-9. 2007..The immunohistochemistry with c-kit might make CM diagnosis easier, especially in the macular cases, when there is a lower number of MC...
- In Vitro Differentiation of Plasmodium falciparum Gametocytes into OokinetesAnil K Ghosh
Department of Molecular Microbiology and Immunology, Johns Hopkins University School of Public Health, Baltimore, MD, USA
Methods Mol Biol 923:27-33. 2013..falciparum gametocytes into mature ookinetes and supports the complete development of ookinetes that retain the ability to infect the mosquito midgut and to produce oocysts...
- A rare case of oral leishmaniasisPhilip A Van Damme
Department of Oral and Craniomaxillofacial Surgery, University Medical Center Nijmegen, Nijmegen, Netherlands
Lancet Infect Dis 4:53. 2004
- Diff-Quik cytologic recognition of Chlamydophila psittaci in orolabial lesions of Stevens-Johnson SyndromeCesar V Reyes
Department of Pathology, Morris Hospital, Morris, Illinois, USA
Acta Cytol 54:692-4. 2010..This report describes heretofore not previously reported recognition of the causative organisms in Diff-Quik-stained clinical cytologic materials...
- Stable barley chromosomes without centromeric repeatsS Nasuda
Laboratory of Plant Genetics, Graduate School of Agriculture and Core Research for Evolutional Science and Technology, Japan Science and Technology Agency, Kyoto University, Sakyo ku, Kyoto 606 8502, Japan
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 102:9842-7. 2005..We conclude that the barley centromeric repeats are neither sufficient nor obligatory to assemble kinetochores, and we discuss the possible formation of a novel centromere in a barley chromosome...
- Ex vivo culture of Plasmodium vivax and Plasmodium cynomolgi and in vitro culture of Plasmodium knowlesi blood stagesAnne Marie Zeeman
Biomedical Primate Research Centre, Rijswijk, The Netherlands
Methods Mol Biol 923:35-49. 2013..knowlesi as well as some techniques for synchronizing parasites. Cultured parasites can be used for a variety of purposes, e.g., for in vitro drug assays and antibody-mediated growth inhibition assays...
- An innovative shape equation to quantify the morphological characteristics of parasitized red blood cells by Plasmodium falciparum and Plasmodium vivaxAlireza Karimi
Division of Tissue Engineering and Biomaterials, National Institute of Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology, Tehran, Iran
Proc Inst Mech Eng H 227:428-37. 2013..These results could have practical use for faster diagnosis, prediction, and treatment of human malaria and sickle-cell diseases...
- A short history of GiemsaPeggy A Wenk
MLO Med Lab Obs 37:6. 2005
- Altered biochemical parameters in the saliva of patients with breast cancerEbru Emekli-Alturfan
Department of Biochemistry, Marmara University, Faculty of Dentistry, Nisantasi, Istanbul, Turkey
Tohoku J Exp Med 214:89-96. 2008..Importantly, dysplastic cells and yeast cells were detected only in saliva samples of cancer patients. Decreased salivary LPO may be considered as a risk factor for breast cancer...
- Evaluation of human sperm chromatin status after selection using a modified Diff-Quik stain indicates embryo quality and pregnancy outcomes following in vitro fertilizationR S Tavares
Biology of Reproduction and Stem Cell Group, CNC Center for Neuroscience and Cell Biology, University of Coimbra, Coimbra, Portugal Department of Life Sciences, University of Coimbra, Coimbra, Portugal
Andrology 1:830-7. 2013..g. Sperm chromatin structure assay, terminal deoxynucleotidyl transferase-mediated dUDP nick-end labelling) are available. ..
- The interactions of azure B, a metabolite of methylene blue, with acetylcholinesterase and butyrylcholinesteraseAnél Petzer
Centre of Excellence for Pharmaceutical Sciences, School of Pharmacy, North West University, Private Bag X6001, Potchefstroom 2520, South Africa Electronic address
Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 274:488-93. 2014..214μM; IC50(BuChE)=0.389μM] under identical conditions, azure B may be a contributor to MB's in vivo activation of the cholinergic system and beneficial effects in Alzheimer's disease. ..
- Rapid immunochromatography-based detection of mixed-species malaria infection in PakistanM A Beg
Department of Pathology and Microbiology, The Aga Khan University, PO Box 3500, Stadium Road, Karachi, Pakistan
Southeast Asian J Trop Med Public Health 36:562-4. 2005..falciparum and P. vivax infection, is of immense importance for individual patient management and in reducing the burden of disease, especially in regions of chloroquine resistance...
- Morphological evaluation of canine platelets on Giemsa- and PAS-stained blood smearsDóra Halmay
Triovet Veterinary Surgery, Budapest, Hungary
Acta Vet Hung 53:337-50. 2005..Our findings support the diagnostic value of platelet evaluation by light microscopy and help clinicians/clinical pathologists to understand why morphologic changes of thrombocytes might be expected in several diseases...
- Immunoperoxidase in the interpretation of discordant histologic and urease findings for Helicobacter pyloriAndrew D Whitters
Mount Mercy College, Cedar Rapids, IA 52403, USA
Appl Immunohistochem Mol Morphol 15:199-202. 2007..Thus, both concordant negative results and discordant results can be considered negative. Such interpretation of discordant results might prevent unnecessary additional procedures or treatment...
- Karyotypic studies of Cratylia argentea (Desv.) O. Kuntze and C. mollis Mart. ex Benth. (Fabaceae - Papilionoideae)S M Vargas
Departamento de Biologia Geral, Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais, Belo Horizonte, MG, Brasil
Genet Mol Res 6:707-12. 2007..argentea and 7 m + 2 sm + 2 st for C. mollis. This indicates the occurrence of rearrangements within chromosomes I and VI. Both karyotypes showed a tendency for asymmetry...
- Cytological diagnosis of malignant mesothelioma--improvement by additional analysis of hyaluronic acid in pleural effusionsL Welker
Hospital Grosshansdorf, Center for Pneumology and Thoracic Surgery, Grosshansdorf, Germany
Virchows Arch 450:455-61. 2007..We conclude that the combined cytological and HA analysis of pleural effusions had the potential to improve the diagnosis of MM...
- Automating Giemsa banding of chromosomes: protocol for and evaluation of the use of a programmable, high-throughput automatic stainerC Gregory
South East Scotland Cytogenetics Service, Western General Hospital, Edinburgh EH4 2XU, Scotland, UK
Biotech Histochem 84:337-45. 2009..We compared the current manual method and the automated procedure and found that automation provided equivalent quality, and increased consistency while decreasing the time required and reducing the cost per preparation...
- Some remarks on the use of TaqI to detect highly repetitive DNA sequences in human chromosomesM Nieddu
Sezione di Biologia e Genetica, Dipartimento di Scienze e Tecnologie Biomediche, Cittadella Universitaria 09042 Monserrato CA, Italy
Eur J Histochem 50:281-3. 2006..These results permitted us to draw some conclusions on the highly repetitive DNA composition of these regions, in terms of alphoid and classical satellite DNAs...
- The origin of non-H. pylori-related positive Giemsa staining in human gastric biopsy specimens: A prospective studyTae Ho Seo
Department of Internal Medicine, Konkuk University School of Medicine, Seoul, South Korea
Dig Liver Dis 43:23-7. 2011..The study aimed to determine the relationship between the origin of positive Giemsa staining and the grade of gastritis based on the updated Sydney system...
- Viability and acrosome staining of stallion spermatozoa by Chicago sky blue and GiemsaG Kútvölgyi
University of Kaposvar, Faculty of Animal Science, Hungary
Biotech Histochem 81:109-17. 2006..TB can be replaced by CSB and this results in more reliable evaluation. After staining with 0.16% CSB and 4 min fixation, 2-4 h Giemsa staining at 25-40 degrees C is recommended for stallion semen...
- Evaluation of Papanicolaou stain for studying micronuclei in buccal cells under field conditionsSohair B A Ayyad
Cytopathology and Early Cancer Detection Unit, Ain Shams University Hospitals, Egypt
Acta Cytol 50:398-402. 2006..To compare Papanicolaou (Pap) and May-Grünwald Giemsa (MGG) stain as 2 techniques for staining for buccal mucosal cells to detect micronuclei (MN) infield studies...
- Diffusion delays and unstirred layer effects at monolayer cultures of Chinese hamster ovary cells: radioligand binding, confocal microscopy, and mathematical simulationsCharles E Spivak
Cellular Neurobiology Branch, Intramural Research Program, National Institute on Drug Abuse, National Institutes of Health, Department of Health and Human Services, Baltimore, MD 21224, USA
Cell Biochem Biophys 45:43-58. 2006..Modeling shows that kinetic errors increase with receptor density, forward rate constant, and the thickness of the unstirred layer...
- Type of smear may influence thrombopoietic cell counts in the bone marrow of clinically healthy dogsMathios E Mylonakis
Clinic Companion Animal Medicine, School of Veterinary Medicine, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Thessaloniki, Greece
Vet Clin Pathol 34:358-61. 2005....
- Diagnosis and identification of Leishmania spp. from Giemsa-stained slides, by real-time PCR and melting curve analysis in south-west of IranS Khademvatan
Ahvaz Jundishapur University of Medical Sciences, Ahvaz, Iran
Ann Trop Med Parasitol 105:559-65. 2011..The aim of present study was describing a real-time PCR assay for the diagnosis and direct identification of Leishmania species on Giemsa-stained slides in south-west of Iran...
- [Effect comparison of Wright-Giemsa stain under different conditions and its apply in cell micronucleus test]Chun hua Liao
Shajing Institute of Inspection, Shenzhen, Guangdong Province, China
Zhonghua Lao Dong Wei Sheng Zhi Ye Bing Za Zhi 30:139-41. 2012..To apply the Wright-Giemsa stain in micronucleus test and to explore the stain outcomes of Wright-Giemsa dye of various proportions and staining times...
- Cytogenetic heteromorphisms: survey results and reporting practices of giemsa-band regions that we have pondered for yearsArthur R Brothman
Department of Pediatrics and Human Genetics, University of Utah School of Medicine, Salt Lake City, USA
Arch Pathol Lab Med 130:947-9. 2006..Cytogenetic heteromorphisms (normal variants) pose diagnostic dilemmas. Common Giemsa-band heteromorphisms are not described in the literature, although Giemsa-banding is the method most frequently used in cytogenetic laboratories...
- Karyotypic characterization and genomic organization of the 5S rDNA in Polypterus senegalus (Osteichthyes, Polypteridae)Maria Alessandra Morescalchi
Dipartimento di Scienze della Vita, Seconda Universita degli Studi di Napoli, Via Vivaldi 43, 81100 Caserta, Italy
Genetica 132:179-86. 2008..After cloning, the 5SrDNA alignment revealed an organization of sequences made up of two different classes of tandem arrays (5S type I and 5S type II) of different lengths...
- Human herpes virus 8-negative primary effusion lymphoma (PEL) in a patient after repeated chylous ascites and chylothoraxAtsushi Nonami
Department of Hematology, National Kyushu Medical Center, Fukuoka
Intern Med 43:236-42. 2004..Interestingly, the patient also showed complicated protein-losing enteropathy, and PEL occurred after repeated chylous ascites and chylothorax. The possible pathogenesis of this rare disease is discussed here...
- Pneumonia in acute respiratory distress syndrome. A prospective evaluation of bilateral bronchoscopic samplingG U Meduri
Pulmonary and Critical Care Division, University of Tennessee and Veterans Administration Medical Center, Memphis, Tennessee, USA
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 158:870-5. 1998..In patients with ARDS and suspected VAP, bilateral BAL quantitative bacterial cultures had significant growth on one side only in 19% and in both sides in 13%...
- Technical report: automated classification of first and second cycle metaphasesR Huber
GSF National Research Centre for Environment and Health, Institute of Radiobiology, P O Box 1129, 85758 Neuherberg, Germany
Mutat Res 419:27-32. 1998..An application for selection of M2 for SCE scoring in mutagenicity testing was possible, but does not provide a comparable advantage...
- Modified Giemsa staining for rapid diagnosis of malaria infectionJ Iqbal
Department of Microbiology, Faculty of Medicine, Kuwait University, Safat, Kuwait
Med Princ Pract 12:156-9. 2003..To develop and evaluate a rapid method for the diagnosis of malaria infection by microscopy of stained blood films...
- The incidence of cytogenetically abnormal rogue cells in peripheral bloodR Mustonen
Research and Environmental Surveillance, Radiation and Nuclear Safety Authority STUK, Helsinki, Finland
Int J Radiat Biol 74:781-5. 1998..To compare the occurrence of cytogenetically abnormal rogue cells, characterized by a high frequency of chromosome-type aberrations, in people exposed to ionizing radiation and in non-exposed subjects...
- Differentiation of three biotypes of Malassezia species on human normal skin. correspondence with M. globosa, M. sympodialis and M. restrictaC Aspiroz
Departamento de Microbiologia y Parasitologia, Hospital Clinico Universitario, Zaragoza, Spain
Mycopathologia 145:69-74. 1999..ovale (oval yeast cells with a broad budding base, located mainly on the scalp). Pleomorphic biotype 2/M. sympodialis, most frequently found in the back, does not clearly fit into any of the Pityrosporum species...
- Chromosome aberration dosimetry in cosmonauts after single or multiple space flightsM Durante
Department of Physics, University Federico II, Napoli, Italy
Cytogenet Genome Res 103:40-6. 2003..We measured chromosomal aberrations in peripheral blood lymphocytes from 33 cosmonauts involved in space missions during the past 11 years...
- Rapid extraction of DNA from archival clinical specimens: our experiencesM Poljak
Institute of Microbiology and Immunology, Medical Faculty, Ljubljana, Slovenia
Pflugers Arch 439:R42-4. 2000..Our results demonstrate that rapid DNA extraction methods have comparable DNA extraction efficiencies with standard DNA isolation protocols on archival clinical specimens with the exception of Giemsa-stained smears...
- Cultivation of bloodstream forms of Trypanosoma carassii, a common parasite of freshwater fishP Overath
Max Planck Institut fur Biologie, Abteilung Membranbiochemie, Tubingen, Germany
Parasitol Res 84:343-7. 1998..By several criteria, cultured and fish-derived trypomastigotes are indistinguishable. The culture system should be useful for the biochemical characterization of this trypanosome and its interaction with the fish immune system...
- The use of the same image analysis system to detect genetic damage in human lymphocytes treated with doxorubicin in the Comet and fluoresence in situ hybridisation (FISH) assaysD Anderson
BIBRA International, Carshalton, Surrey, UK
Mutat Res 390:69-77. 1997..The FISH assay was only conducted in cycling cells, since the probe used was metaphase-specific. At the highest doses of doxorubicin used, FISH and conventional chromosome assays had similar sensitivities...
- Comparison of spontaneous and idoxuridine-induced micronuclei by chromosome paintingE Fauth
Abt Humanbiologie und Humangenetik der Universität, Postfach 3049, D 67653, Kaiserslautern, Germany
Mutat Res 440:147-56. 1999..The results indicate that decondensation of heterochromatic regions on chromosomes 1 and 9 caused by IUdR treatment strongly correlates with MN formation by these chromosomes...
- Dose--response of initial G2-chromatid breaks induced in normal human fibroblasts by heavy ionsT Kawata
NASA Lyndon B Johnson Space Center, Radiation Biophysics Laboratory, Houston, Texas 77058, USA
Int J Radiat Biol 77:165-74. 2001..To investigate initial chromatid breaks in prematurely condensed G2 chromosomes following exposure to heavy ions of different LET...
- Effect of staining procedures on the results of micronucleus assays with exfoliated oral mucosa cellsArmen Nersesyan
Institute of Cancer Research, Internal Medicine I, Medical University of Vienna, Vienna, Austria
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 15:1835-40. 2006..Furthermore, our results show that exposure of oral mucosa cells to genotoxic carcinogens contained in tobacco smoke does not lead to induction of micronuclei in these cells...
- [Diagnostic value of Gram stain for assessment of vaginal smears during pregnancy]Małgorzata Wasiela
Zaklad Mikrobiologii Lekarskiej, Uniwersytetu Medycznego w Lodzi
Med Dosw Mikrobiol 56:93-8. 2004..1% pregnant women from this group we did not isolated any pathogens. For evaluation of vaginal smears during pregnancy the Giemsa method should be replaced by Gram stained method...
- Rapid diagnosis of Helicobacter pylori infection in gastric imprint smearsGurjeet Kaur
Department of Pathology, School of Medical Sciences, Universiti Sains Malaysia, Kubang Kerian, Kelantan, Malaysia
Southeast Asian J Trop Med Public Health 35:676-80. 2004..Gastric imprint smears stained with Diff-Quik method is a rapid, cheap, and reliable method for the detection of H. pylori and have their best results when complemented with histology...
- A novel semi-automatic image processing approach to determine Plasmodium falciparum parasitemia in Giemsa-stained thin blood smearsMinh Tam Le
School of Computer Engineering, Nanyang Technological University, N4 02a 32 Nanyang Avenue, Singapore 639798, Singapore
BMC Cell Biol 9:15. 2008..Although automatic assessments can overcome some of these problems the available methods are currently limited by their inability to evaluate cases that deviate from a chosen "standard" model...
- Mott cell (Russell bodies) Barrett's oesophagitisC A Rubio
Gastrointestinal and Liver Pathology Research Laboratory, Department of Pathology, Karolinska Institute and University Hospital, Stockholm, Sweden
In Vivo 19:1097-100. 2005..Increased awareness of the existence of this subgroup of Barrett's oesophagitis may result in similar cases being reported in the future...
- [Study on the interaction between alginic sodium diester and azur A and the application]Yong Ming Liu
Chemical College of Yantai University, Yantai 264005, China
Guang Pu Xue Yu Guang Pu Fen Xi 27:317-20. 2007..The detection limit is 0.009 microg x mL(-1). The method has the advantages of simplicity, stable system, good accuracy and selectivity, and was applied to the determination of alginic sodium diester in tablets with satisfactory results...
- Rapid-air-dry papanicolaou stain in canine and feline tumor cytology: a quantitative comparison with the Giemsa stainMariko Sawa
Laboratory of Veterinary Clinical Pathology, Department of Veterinary Medicine, Kagoshima University, Kagoshima 890 0065, Japan
J Vet Med Sci 74:1133-8. 2012..This RAD-Pap stain could be routinely used as a supportive staining method in veterinary diagnostic cytology...
- Karyotyping of barley chromosomes by a new fluorescence banding technique combined with scanning probe microscopyShigeru Sugiyama
NanoBiotechnology Laboratory, National Food Research Institute, National Agriculture and Food Research Organization, Tsukuba, Ibaraki, Japan
Scanning 34:186-90. 2012....
- Azure B, a metabolite of methylene blue, is a high-potency, reversible inhibitor of monoamine oxidaseAnél Petzer
Unit for Drug Research and Development, School of Pharmacy, North West University, Private Bag X6001, Potchefstroom 2520, South Africa
Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 258:403-9. 2012....
- Neutrophil activation detected by monoclonal antibodiesP A Tetteroo
J Immunol 136:3427-32. 1986..The reactivity of the antibody against p 70 (CLB-gram 5) was not affected by activation. The antibodies B13.9 and CLB-gran 10 may be useful to detect neutrophil activation...
- The cytologic diagnosis of epithelioid myxofibrosarcoma: a case reportMichelle H Weber
Department of Pathology, Wake Forest University Health Sciences, Winston Salem, NC 27157, USA
Diagn Cytopathol 40:E140-3. 2012..Herein, we discuss the cytologic features of epithelioid myxofibrosarcoma as seen on FNA biopsy and its distinction from other epithelioid neoplasms of soft tissue...
- Low prevalence of Pneumocystis pneumonia (PCP) but high prevalence of pneumocystis dihydropteroate synthase (dhps) gene mutations in HIV-infected persons in UgandaSteve M Taylor
Department of Epidemiology, Gillings School of Global Public Health, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, North Carolina, United States of America
PLoS ONE 7:e49991. 2012..Given the reliability of field diagnosis in our cohort, future studies in sub-Saharan Africa can investigate the clinical impact of these genotypes...
- Immunocytochemical detection of Ki-67 in Diff-Quik-stained cytological smears of canine mammary gland tumoursU S Choi
Department of Veterinary Clinical Pathology, College of Veterinary Medicine, Chonbuk National University, Duckjin Dong, Duckjin Gu, Jeonju, South Korea
Cytopathology 22:115-20. 2011..To investigate whether Diff-Quik stained fine needle aspirate smears can be used to evaluate Ki-67 expression by immunocytochemistry...
- Melanin synthesis by Sclerotinia sclerotiorumMichael J Butler
Department of Biology, University of Western Ontario, London, Ontario, N6A 5B7, Canada
Mycologia 101:296-304. 2009..We report basic conditions for sclerotial melanin degradation by the white rot fungus Phanerochaete chrysosporium...
- Cytologic diagnosis of mastocytosis by fine needle aspiration biopsy: a case reportJane Ellaine Tongson-Ignacio
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, University of California Irvine Medical Center, 101 The City Drive, Orange, California 92868, USA
Acta Cytol 51:814-9. 2007..Mastocytosis is an abnormal proliferation of mast cells and their subsequent accumulation in various organs. Diagnosis of mast cell disease relies on proper identification of abnormal mast cells...
- Comparative chromosome banding analysis of three South American species of rice rats of the genus Oryzomys (Rodentia, Sigmodontinae)V T Volobouev
Laboratoire de Zoologie, Mammifères et Oiseaux, Museum national d histoire naturelle, Paris, France
Chromosome Res 8:295-304. 2000..In the light of available chromosomal and molecular data, the significance of intra- and interspecies karyotypic variability within Oryzomys and its relevance to systematics and phylogeny of the genus are discussed...
- Human chromosome structure studied by scanning force microscopy after an enzymatic digestion of the covering cell materialJ Tamayo
H H Wills Physics Laboratory, University of Bristol, UK
Ultramicroscopy 82:245-51. 2000..Finally, the topography of the chromosomes in solution is presented. The chromosome volume swelled about five-fold and chromatin packaging in bands and coils was observed...
- Wright-Giemsa and nonspecific esterase staining of cellsW Strober
National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, Bethesda, Maryland, USA
Curr Protoc Immunol . 2001..Thus, this staining reaction can be used to identify monocytes/macrophages in cell preparations...
- Acute cytogenetic effects of antineoplastic drugs on peripheral blood lymphocytes in cancer patients chromosome aberrations and micronucleiNevenka Kopjar
Laboratory of Mutagenesis, Institute for Medical Research and Occupational Health, Zagreb, Croatia
Tumori 88:300-12. 2002..The aim of the present study was to evaluate the individual sensitivity of cancer patients to different antineoplastic drugs administered in standard protocols by assessing their acute cytogenetic effects on peripheral blood lymphocytes...
- CagA and VacA Helicobacter pylori antibodies in gastric cancerR Suriani
Gastroenterology Clinical Unit, Gastroenterologia ed Endoscopia Digestiva, Universita di Modena e Reggio Emilia, Modena, Italy
Can J Gastroenterol 22:255-8. 2008....
- Trypanosome infection rate in cattle at Nguruman, KenyaR A Tarimo-Nesbitt
International Center for Insect Physiology and Ecology, Nairobi, Kenya
Vet Parasitol 81:107-17. 1999..brucei, respectively. The duration of infection in the cattle was 55 days for T. congolense and 79 days for T. vivax. High infections in cattle were observed 2 months after the rains, which were concomitant with high tsetse densities...
- Amygdala Response to Experimental Traumatic Brain InjuryJonathan Lifshitz; Fiscal Year: 2005..This research effort may lead to novel treatments for the affective disorders in an otherwise healthy brain-injured population, in addition to post-traumatic stress disorder and psychosis. ..
- Affymetrix 437 ArrayerNorma Nowak; Fiscal Year: 2002..The requested instrumentation will afford the DNA Microarray and Genomics Resource with the capacity to continue to provide high quality custom genomic and expression arrays. ..
- Array Based CGH for Genome-Wide Analysis of Wilms' TumorNorma Nowak; Fiscal Year: 2004..We will identify the recurrent copy number aberrations present in our WT bank, tile the implicated chromosomal regions on WT subarrays, and identify candidate genes involved in WT and kidney development. ..
- Biomarkers for the Progression of Head and Neck Squamous Cell CarcinomaNorma Nowak; Fiscal Year: 2009..Clearly, the analysis will also lead to a better understanding of the genetic events leading to invasive HNSCC. ..