Genomes and Genes
Summary: A highly caustic substance that is used to neutralize acids and make sodium salts. (From Merck Index, 11th ed)
Publications271 found, 100 shown here
- Surface ultrastructure of collagen fibrils and their association with proteoglycans in human cornea and sclera by atomic force microscopy and energy-filtering transmission electron microscopyA Miyagawa
Department of Ophthalmology, Nagoya University Graduate School of Medicine, Nagoya, Japan
Cornea 20:651-6. 2001..We aimed to investigate the possible association of proteoglycans with D-periodic collagen fibrils in the human cornea and sclera, using energy-filtering transmission electron microscopy (EF-TEM) and atomic force microscopy (AFM)...
- Effect of different irrigating solutions on aqueous humour pH changes, intraocular pressure and histological findings after induced alkali burnsSirpa Kompa
University Eye Clinic, University Hospital Aachen, Aachen, Germany
Acta Ophthalmol Scand 83:467-70. 2005..To evaluate the effects of hypo-osmolar tap water and isotonic saline solution on the intracameral pH, intraocular pressure and histological changes in alkali burned rabbit eyes...
- Alkaline degradation of invert sugar from molassesByung Y Yang
Department of Biochemistry, College of Medicine, The University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA 52242, USA
Bioresour Technol 98:3084-9. 2007..Degradation of invert sugar by NaOH has been achieved without an external heat source. The reaction products showed the same freezing point depression as seen in the degradation products from pure glucose...
- Crystalline structure analysis of cellulose treated with sodium hydroxide and carbon dioxide by means of X-ray diffraction and FTIR spectroscopySang Youn Oh
Department of Textile Engineering, Chonnam National University, Gwangju, 500 757, Republic of Korea
Carbohydr Res 340:2376-91. 2005..But the crystallite size of Cell 2-C (cellulose II) was larger than that of Cell 2 (cellulose II) treated at 15-20 wt% NaOH...
- Aluminum control of phosphorus sorption by lake sedimentsJiří Kopáček
Hydrobiological Institute, Academy of Sciences of the Czech Republic, Faculty of Biological Sciences USB, Na Sadkach 7, 37005 Ceske Budejovice, Czech Republic
Environ Sci Technol 39:8784-9. 2005..These ratios can be used as operational targets for estimation of sediment P release potential and Al dosing of P-rich sediment to prevent hypolimnetic P release under anoxic conditions...
- Investigation by bioassay of the efficacy of sodium hydroxide treatment on the inactivation of mouse-adapted scrapieA Unal
CSL Bioplasma, 189 209 Camp Road, Broadmeadows, Victoria 3047, Australia
Biologicals 35:161-4. 2007b>Sodium hydroxide (NaOH) has been shown to reduce the infectivity of transmissible spongiform encephalopathy (TSE) agents. This study investigated the efficacy of sodium hydroxide at 0.1M, 0.25M and 0...
- A comparison of chemical pretreatment methods for improving saccharification of cotton stalksRebecca A Silverstein
Department of Biological and Agricultural Engineering, Campus Box 7625, North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NC 27695 7625, USA
Bioresour Technol 98:3000-11. 2007The effectiveness of sulfuric acid (H(2)SO(4)), sodium hydroxide (NaOH), hydrogen peroxide (H(2)O(2)), and ozone pretreatments for conversion of cotton stalks to ethanol was investigated...
- Carbon dioxide capture from atmospheric air using sodium hydroxide sprayJoshuah K Stolaroff
Chemical and Petroleum Engineering, University of Calgary
Environ Sci Technol 42:2728-35. 2008..The low end of the cost range is reached by a spray with 50 microm mean drop diameter, which is achievable with commercially available spray nozzles...
- Critical factors influencing prion inactivation by sodium hydroxideP A Bauman
Talecris Biotherapeutics, Research Triangle Park, NC, USA
Vox Sang 91:34-40. 2006..To ensure effective decontamination and inactivation of prions that could be present in source material, we investigated critical factors that influence prion inactivation by NaOH...
- Novel hypertonic saline-sodium hydroxide (HS-SH) method for decontamination and concentration of sputum samples for Mycobacterium tuberculosis microscopy and cultureChristian A Ganoza
Laboratorio de Microbiologia Clinica, Instituto de Medicina Tropical Alexander von Humboldt, Universidad Peruana Cayetano Heredia, and Programa Nacional para el Control de la Tuberculosis, Hospital Nacional Cayetano Heredia, Lima, Peru
J Med Microbiol 57:1094-8. 2008..patients with suspected pulmonary tuberculosis (TB) (n=106) were tested using the proposed hypertonic saline-sodium hydroxide (HS-SH) DC method, the recommended N-acetyl-L-cysteine-sodium citrate-sodium hydroxide (NALC-NaOH) DC method ..
- Nanostructured magnesium increases bone cell densityLucy Weng
School of Engineering and Department of Orthopedics, Brown University, Providence, RI 02912, USA
Nanotechnology 23:485105. 2012..For these reasons, this study suggests that soaking magnesium in NaOH could be an inexpensive, simple and effective manner to promote osteoblast functions for numerous orthopedic applications and, thus, should be further studied...
- Sodium hydroxide pretreatment of genetically modified switchgrass for improved enzymatic release of sugarsZiyu Wang
Department of Biological and Agricultural Engineering, North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NC 27695 7625, USA
Bioresour Technol 110:364-70. 2012..The results show that down-regulation of 4CL gene promoted enzymatic hydrolysis of plant cell walls following a mild alkali pretreatment...
- FTIR analysis of cellulose treated with sodium hydroxide and carbon dioxideSang Youn Oh
Department of Textile Engineering, Chonnam National University, Gwangju 500 757, Korea
Carbohydr Res 340:417-28. 2005Cellulose samples treated with sodium hydroxide (NaOH) and carbon dioxide in dimethylacetamide (DMAc) were analyzed by FTIR spectroscopy...
- The formol-ether concentration technique for intestinal parasites: comparing 0.1 N sodium hydroxide with normal saline preparationsJamsai Suwansaksri
Department of Clinical Chemistry, Faculty of Allied Health Sciences, Chulalongkorn University, Bangkok, Thailand
Southeast Asian J Trop Med Public Health 33:97-8. 2002..We performed a comparative study of 0.1 N sodium hydroxide (NaOH) and normal saline preparation for the formol-ether technique in the detection of intestinal parasites...
- Exposure to autoclaving or sodium hydroxide extends the dose-response curve of the 263K strain of scrapie agent in hamstersD M Taylor
BBSRC and MRC Neuropathogenesis Unit, Institute for Animal Health, Edinburgh, UK
J Gen Virol 77:811-3. 1996..scrapie agent were injected intracerebrally into hamsters following exposure of the tissue to autoclaving or sodium hydroxide. Where there was survival of infectivity, this often produced extended mean incubation periods compared with ..
- Accelerated chondrocyte functions on NaOH-treated PLGA scaffoldsGrace E Park
Department of Biomedical Engineering, Purdue University, 1296 Potter Building, West Lafayette, IN 47907, USA
Biomaterials 26:3075-82. 2005..Clearly, such modifications to PLGA may ultimately enhance the efficacy of tissue-engineering scaffolds for articular cartilage repair...
- Inhibition of bacterial adhesion on PVC endotracheal tubes by RF-oxygen glow discharge, sodium hydroxide and silver nitrate treatmentsD J Balazs
Materials Science Institute, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology EPFL, CH 1015, Lausanne, Switzerland
Biomaterials 25:2139-51. 2004..frequency-oxygen (RF-O(2)) glow discharge pre-functionalization, followed by a two-step wet-treatment in sodium hydroxide and silver nitrate solutions...
- [Model of inflammatory angiogenesis in rabbit cornea induced by punctual alkaline cauterization]Francisco Vagnaldo Fechine-Jamacaru
Laboratório de Cirurgia Experimental LABCEX do Programa de Pós Graduação Stricto Sensu em Cirurgia, Departamento de Cirurgia, Universidade Federal do Ceará UFC
Acta Cir Bras 20:64-73. 2005..To establish a model of angiogenesis in rabbit cornea induced by punctual alkaline cauterization...
- Bevacizumab inhibits corneal neovascularization in an alkali burn induced model of corneal angiogenesisHamid Hosseini
Shiraz University of Medical Sciences, Department of Ophthalmology, Khalili Hospital, Shiraz, Iran
Clin Experiment Ophthalmol 35:745-8. 2007..This study aimed to evaluate the effect of subconjunctival bevacizumab (Avastin) on experimental corneal neovascularization in rabbits...
- Effects of topical administration of 12-methyl tetradecanoic acid (12-MTA) on the development of corneal angiogenesisNerida Cole
Institute for Eye Research, Level 4, Rupert Myers Building, Gate 14, Barker Street, Kensington, Sydney, NSW 2052, Australia
Angiogenesis 10:47-54. 2007..Our studies indicate that 12-MTA may provide clinically significant advantages over conventional steroids for the treatment of vessel growth in the cornea...
- Antigen retrieval using sodium hydroxide for prion immunohistochemistry in bovine spongiform encephalopathy and scrapieH Okada
Prion Disease Research Team, Prion Disease Research Center, National Institute of Animal Health, 3 1 5 Kan nondai, Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305 0856, Japan
J Comp Pathol 144:251-6. 2011..affected with bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE) and scrapie, we applied minimal pretreatment with sodium hydroxide (NaOH)...
- Hydrogen and N-acetyl-L-cysteine rescue oxidative stress-induced angiogenesis in a mouse corneal alkali-burn modelMiyuki Kubota
Department of Ophthalmology, Keio University School of Medicine, Shinjuku ku, Tokyo, Japan
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 52:427-33. 2011..To investigate the role of reactive oxygen species (ROS) as the prime initiators of the angiogenic response after alkali injury of the cornea and observe the effects of antioxidants in preventing angiogenesis...
- Inhibitory effect of oral doxycycline on neovascularization in a rat corneal alkali burn model of angiogenesisLiang Dan
State Key Laboratory of Ophthalmology, Zhongshan Ophthalmic Center, Sun Yat Sen University, Guangzhou, People s Republic of China
Curr Eye Res 33:653-60. 2008..To examine the efficacy of oral doxycycline treatment (as compared to oral and topical dexamethasone) for inhibiting corneal neovascularization (CNV)...
- Pretreatment of corn stover and hybrid poplar by sodium hydroxide and hydrogen peroxideRajesh Gupta
Department of Chemical Engineering, Auburn University, Auburn, AL 36849, USA
Biotechnol Prog 26:1180-6. 2010b>Sodium hydroxide and its derivatives are used as pulping reagents, wherein the spent NaOH is recovered in salt form and reused...
- Sodium hydroxide renders the prion protein PrPSc sensitive to proteinase KFabian Käsermann
Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, University of Bern, Freiestrasse 3, 3012 Bern, Switzerland
J Gen Virol 84:3173-6. 2003b>Sodium hydroxide (NaOH) solutions are widely used for the purification of contaminated equipment, as they are known to inactivate a variety of pathogens...
- Translational diffusion coefficient of cycloamylose in aqueous sodium hydroxideYasushi Nakata
Department of Macromolecular Science, Graduate School of Science, Osaka University, Toyonaka, Osaka 560 0043, Japan
Biopolymers 69:508-16. 2003..5 N aqueous sodium hydroxide (at 25 degrees C), a good solvent for linear amylose...
- Stability of minute virus of mice against temperature and sodium hydroxideNicola Boschetti
ZLB Bioplasma AG, Wankdorfstr 10, 3000 22, Bern, Switzerland
Biologicals 31:181-5. 2003..The observed stability at pH 11.8 exceeds the previously reported upper limit of pH 9. Inactivation was due to disintegration of the viral capsid as assessed by accessibility of viral DNA for endonucleases...
- Comparison of phenol and sodium hydroxide chemical matricectomies for the treatment of ingrowing toenailsSeher Bostanci
Department of Dermatology, Ankara University, Medical School, Ankara, Turkey
Dermatol Surg 33:680-5. 2007Chemical matricectomy is performed mainly by two agents: phenol and sodium hydroxide. Both agents have excellent cure rates, but there are no data about the comparison of postoperative healing periods...
- Chemical matricectomy with 10% sodium hydroxide for the treatment of ingrowing toenailsEsin Ozdemir
Dermatology Department, School of Medicine, Ankara University, Ankara, Turkey
Dermatol Surg 30:26-31. 2004..However, unpredictable tissue damage and prolonged healing time are the disadvantages of this technique. Sodium hydroxide is an alternative chemical agent that causes less tissue damage.
- Inactivation kinetics of model and relevant blood-borne viruses by treatment with sodium hydroxide and heatS Borovec
Virology Group, Research and Development, CSL Limited, Bioplasma Division, 189 209 Camp Road, Broadmeadows, 3047, Australia
Biologicals 26:237-44. 1998..1 M sodium hydroxide at 60 degrees C on viral infectivity was investigated...
- Chemical matricectomy with 10% sodium hydroxide for the treatment of ingrown toenails in people with diabetesSemih Tatlican
Department of Dermatology, Ministry of Health, Diskapi Yildirim Beyazit Education and Research Hospital, Ankara, Turkey
Dermatol Surg 36:219-22. 2010..Chemical matricectomy with 10% sodium hydroxide is an effective treatment for ingrown toenails in a normal population.
- Production of L-lactic acid by a thermophilic Bacillus mutant using sodium hydroxide as neutralizing agentJiayang Qin
Institute for Stem Cells and Tissue Engineering, College of Pharmacy, Binzhou Medical University, Yantai, People s Republic of China
Bioresour Technol 101:7570-6. 2010A sodium lactate tolerant mutant strain named Bacillus sp. Na-2 was obtained and applied to sodium hydroxide-based L-lactic acid (LA) production process...
- High reproducibility using sodium hydroxide-stripped long oligonucleotide DNA microarraysZhiyuan Hu
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, NC 27599 7295, USA
Biotechniques 38:121-4. 2005..90-0.98, which is comparable to the ICC of two virgin arrays hybridized with the same sample. Using this method, once-stripped oligonucleotide microarrays are usable, reliable, and help to reduce costs...
- Investigation of biomass degradation mechanism in pretreatment of switchgrass by aqueous ammonia and sodium hydroxideRajesh Gupta
Department of Chemical Engineering, Auburn University, AL 36849, USA
Bioresour Technol 101:8185-91. 2010..TGA data indicate that NaOH-lignin has more uniform structure and higher O/C ratio than ammonia-lignin. FTIR analysis indicates that NaOH-lignin has lower aromatic content but higher guaiacyl type structure than ammonia-lignin...
- The use of a retrievable self-expanding stent in treating childhood benign esophageal stricturesChi Zhang
Department of Pediatric Surgery, Shanghai Children Medical Center, Xinhua Hospital, Shanghai Second Medical University, Shanghai 200092, P R China
J Pediatr Surg 40:501-4. 2005..The aim of the current study was to investigate whether esophageal stents could be used safely and effectively in the treatment of esophageal stenosis in children...
- Validation and application of a stability-indicating HPLC method for the in vitro determination of gastric and intestinal stability of venlafaxineEbenezer B Asafu-Adjaye
Division of Product Quality Research, Center for Drug Evaluation and Research, Food and Drug Administration, Silver Spring, MD 20993, United States
J Pharm Biomed Anal 43:1854-9. 2007..This stability experiment in simulated gastric and intestinal fluids suggests that drug loss in the gastrointestinal tract takes place by membrane permeation rather than a degradation process...
- Ion chromatography applications in the determination of HF, HCl, NOx, SOx on stationary emissionsCaterina Giuriati
Ambiente S p A, Centro Igiene e Protezione Ambiente, P le Donegani 12, 44100 Ferrara, Italy
Ann Ist Super Sanita 39:223-8. 2003..Some modifications in sampling are explored to find more suitable conditions for the IC analysis...
- Removal of herbicide paraquat from an aqueous solution by adsorption onto spent and treated diatomaceous earthW T Tsai
Department of Environmental Engineering and Science, Chia Nan University of Pharmacy and Science, Tainan 717, Taiwan
Bioresour Technol 96:657-63. 2005A spent diatomaceous earth from the beer brewery has been tentatively activated by sodium hydroxide at about 100 degrees C...
- Kinetic and equilibrium studies on the biosorption of reactive black 5 dye by Aspergillus foetidusRachna Patel
Centre for Environmental Science and Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology Bombay, Powai, Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
Bioresour Technol 99:51-8. 2008..Pre-treatment of fungal biomass by autoclaving or exposure to 0.1M sodium hydroxide facilitated more efficient uptake of dye as compared to untreated fungal biomass...
- Surface properties of aqueous amino acid solutions. I. Surface tension of hydrochloric acid-glycine and glycine-sodium hydroxide systemsNorihiro Matubayasi
Faculty of Fisheries, Nagasaki University, 1 14 Bunkyou machi, Nagasaki 852 8521, Japan
J Colloid Interface Sci 267:144-50. 2003..acid-glycine hydrochloride, glycine hydrochloride-glycine, glycine-sodium glycinate, and sodium glycinate-sodium hydroxide) were measured as a function of total molality and mole fraction...
- [Necrolytic properties of alkaline protease in the treatment of severe eye burns]R I Chalanova
Vestn Oftalmol 119:36-8. 2003....
- Sorption of cadmium from aqueous solution using pretreated rice huskUpendra Kumar
Environmental Engineering Section, Department of Civil Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur 721 302, India
Bioresour Technol 97:104-9. 2006..The highly efficient low cost and the rapid uptake of Cd(II) by NCRH indicated that it could be an excellent alternative for the removal of heavy metal by sorption process...
- [Studies on stability of chlorogenic acid in extract of Flos lonicerae]Gang Chen
Pharmaceutical Laboratory of Chinese Materia Medica, West China School of Pharmacy, Sichuan University, Chengdu 610041, Sichuan, China
Zhongguo Zhong Yao Za Zhi 28:223-6. 2003..To investigate the stability of chlorogenic acid in extract of flos lonicerae in different conditions...
- Solid phase extraction of chromium(VI) from aqueous solutions by adsorption of its ion-association complex with cetyltrimethylammoniumbromide on an alumina columnN Rajesh
Department of Chemistry, Birla Institute of Technology and Science, Pilani 333031, India
J Hazard Mater 144:464-9. 2007..have been studied in detail. The adsorbed complex could be eluted using sodium hydroxide and the concentration of chromium has been established using visible spectrophotometry after complexation ..
- The adsorption of chromium (VI) from industrial wastewater by acid and base-activated lignocellulosic residuesPatricia Alvarez
Instituto Nacional del Carbon, CSIC, Department of Chemistry of Materials, PO Box 73, 33080 Oviedo, Spain
J Hazard Mater 144:400-5. 2007..The results also show that the activated carbons obtained can be recovered by filtration with an efficiency of 30% in the third cycle...
- Copper removal from aqueous solutions by sugar beet pulp treated by NaOH and citric acidH Soner Altundogan
Firat University, Department of Chemical Engineering, 23279 Elazig, Turkey
J Hazard Mater 149:432-9. 2007..The negative values found for enthalpy change (-14.797 kJ mol(-1) over the range of 25-55 degrees C) and free energy change (-19.361 kJ mol(-1) for 25 degrees C) indicate that the sorption process is exothermic and spontaneous in nature...
- Coal ash conversion into effective adsorbents for removal of heavy metals and dyes from wastewaterShaobin Wang
Department of Chemical Engineering, Curtin University of Technology, Perth, WA, Australia
J Hazard Mater 133:243-51. 2006..The increase in adsorption temperature will enhance the adsorption efficiency for both heavy metals. The pseudo second-order kinetics would be better for fitting the dynamic adsorption of Cu and Ni ions...
- Headspace water-based liquid-phase microextractionJie Zhang
Department of Chemistry, National University of Singapore, 3 Science Drive 3, Republic of Singapore 117543
Anal Chem 77:1988-92. 2005..Under optimal extraction conditions, very high enrichment factors were achieved. Since only water (with sodium hydroxide to adjust the pH) and a conventional microsyringe were used, this new technique is affordable, efficient, and ..
- A new method for cellulose membrane fabrication and the determination of its characteristicsYen Ning Kuo
Bioseparation Lab, Department of Chemical Engineering and Materials Science, The Henry Samueli School of Engineering, University of California, Irvine, 916 Engineering Tower, Irvine, CA 92697 2575, USA
J Colloid Interface Sci 285:232-8. 2005....
- Monitoring the temperature of dilute aqueous solutions using near-infrared water absorptionEugenio H Otal
Laboratorio de Análisis de Trazas, Departamento de Quimica Inorganica, Analítica y Química Física INQUIMAE Facultad de Ciencias Exactas y Naturales Universidad de Buenos Aires, Ciudad Universitaria, Pab II, 3er Piso, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Appl Spectrosc 57:661-6. 2003..A prediction error of 0.77 degrees C (single linear regression) and 0.25 degrees C (multilinear approach) are achieved in a range from 15 to 90 degrees C. Advantages in terms of instrumentation and data analysis required are discussed...
- Hydrolytic products and kinetics of triazophos in buffered and alkaline solutions with different values of pHLin Kunde
Key Laboratory of Marine Environmental Science, Ministry of Education, Environmental Science Research Center, Xiamen University, Xiamen 361005, China
J Agric Food Chem 52:5404-11. 2004The hydrolysis of triazophos was studied in buffered solutions in the range of pH 4-10 and in sodium hydroxide solutions with pH values up to 12...
- Modelling dewatering behaviour through an understanding of solids formation processes. Part I--Solids formation considerationsA C Dustan
Department of Chemical Engineering, University of Cape Town, Rondebosch, 7700, South Africa
Adv Colloid Interface Sci 113:99-110. 2005..In part II of this paper, the use of model outputs in predicting filtration behaviour is explored...
- Evaluation of total pH and soluble and ionic fluoride concentrations in dentifrices commercially available in BrazilPriscila Ariede Petinuci Bardal
Department of Community Health, Bauru Dental School, University of Sao Paulo, Brazil
Oral Health Prev Dent 1:283-9. 2003..To verify the total (TF), soluble (SF) and ionic (IF) fluoride concentrations in the main Brazilian dentifrices for comparison and quality control according to the current Brazilian Ministry of Health Regulations, 2000...
- Activation of crystalline cellulose to cellulose III(I) results in efficient hydrolysis by cellobiohydrolaseKiyohiko Igarashi
Department of Biomaterials Sciences, Graduate School of Agricultural and Life Sciences, University of Tokyo, Japan
FEBS J 274:1785-92. 2007..This clearly indicates that the enhanced hydrolysis of cellulose III(I) is related to the structure of the crystalline polymorph. Thus, supercritical ammonium treatment activates crystalline cellulose for hydrolysis by cellobiohydrolase...
- Self-assembly of an amphiphilic derivative of chitosan and micellar solubilization of puerarinSui Weiping
School of Chemistry and Chemical Engineering, University of Jinan, Jinan 250022, PR China
Colloids Surf B Biointerfaces 48:13-6. 2006..DLS showed that after solubilization the size of the micelles became bigger. In vitro tests showed that puerarin was slowly released from micellar solution and the release lasted up to 60 h by means of the dialysis method...
- Dissolving cellulose in a NaOH/thiourea aqueous solution: a topochemical investigationLifeng Yan
Hefei National Laboratory for Physical Science at Micrometer Scale and Department of Chemical Physics, University of Science and Technology of China, Hefei 230026, China
Macromol Biosci 7:1139-48. 2007..It is also found that the dissolving process is continuous while the ice state formation promotes the dissolving process...
- Few bicyclic acetals at reducing end of low-molecular-weight heparins: might they restrict specification of pharmacopoeia?P Bianchini
Opocrin S p A, Via Pacinotti, 3, 41040 Corlo MO, Italy
Pharmeur Sci Notes 2005:1-3. 2005..If present, even in an amount less than, or equal to, 30% of chains, these "related substances" affect neither activities nor safety of enoxaparin...
- Properties of Bacillus anthracis spores prepared under various environmental conditionsRenu B Baweja
Institute of Genomics and Integrative Biology, Mall Road, Delhi 110007, India
Arch Microbiol 189:71-9. 2008..The size of spores formed at 45 degrees C was smallest amongst all. The study reveals that temperature, pH and nutrient availability during sporulation affect properties of B. anthracis spores...
- Utilization of fermentation waste (Corynebacterium glutamicum) for biosorption of Reactive Black 5 from aqueous solutionK Vijayaraghavan
Division of Environmental and Chemical Engineering, Research Institute of Industrial Technology, Chonbuk National University, Chonju 561 756, South Korea
J Hazard Mater 141:45-52. 2007..The use of a 0.1M NaOH solution successfully desorbed almost all the dye molecules from dye-loaded C. glutamicum biomass at different solid-to-liquid ratios examined...
- Bonelike apatite formation on niobium metal treated in aqueous NaOHReut Godley
Faculty of Materials Engineering, Technion, Haifa 32000, Israel
J Mater Sci Mater Med 15:1073-7. 2004..This bone bonding capability could make Nb metal an attractive material for hard tissue replacements...
- One-step synthesis of highly dispersed gold nanocrystals on silica spheresNopphawan Phonthammachai
School of Materials Science and Engineering, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore 639798
Langmuir 23:11421-4. 2007..These materials will offer enhanced performance as catalysts and contrast enhancers in biomedical imaging...
- Evidence for complexes of different stoichiometries between organic solvents and cyclodextrinsL García-Río
Departamento de Quimica Fisica, Facultad de Quimica, Universidad de Santiago, 15782, Santiago, Spain
Org Biomol Chem 4:1038-48. 2006..In addition, the acid hydrolysis of MNTS in the presence of acetonitrile containing alpha-CD gave 1 : 1 alpha-CD-acetonitrile inclusion complexes, which is consistent with a both a reduced cavity size and previously reported data...
- Flow-injection determination of acetone with diazotized anthranilic acid through a fluorescent reaction intermediateC García de María
Dpto de Quimica Analitica, Nutricion y Bromatologia, University of Salamanca, Plaza de la Merced s n, E 37008 Salamanca, Spain
Anal Chim Acta 600:172-6. 2007..S.D. of 2.7% (1.0 x 10(-5)M, n=10). A sampling frequency of 24h(-1) is achieved. Some potentially interfering species are investigated...
- pKa value and buffering capacity of acidic monomers commonly used in self-etching primersUlrich Salz
lvoclar Vivadent AG, Schaan, Liechtenstein
J Adhes Dent 8:143-50. 2006....
- Modeling column regeneration effects on ion-exchange chromatographyZ K López
Departamento de Investigaciones Científicas y Tecnológicas, Universidad de Sonora, Mexico
J Chromatogr A 791:99-107. 1997..Regeneration with sodium hydroxide and time of exposure showed no effect on equilibrium behavior...
- Influence of pH on slow crack growth of dental porcelainsMarcelo M Pinto
Department of Biomaterials and Oral Biochemistry, School of Dentistry, University of Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Dent Mater 24:814-23. 2008..To evaluate the effect of pH of storage medium on slow crack growth (SCG) parameters of dental porcelains...
- Modification of rice hull and sawdust sorptive characteristics for remove heavy metals from synthetic solutions and wastewaterFatemeh Asadi
Soil and Water Research Institute, P O Box 14155 6185, Tehran, Islamic Republic of Iran
J Hazard Mater 154:451-8. 2008..The recovery of the columns using water and HCl showed positive results. Commercial sorbents removed Pb(II), Zn(II) and Ni(II) a little more than rice hull...
- Vanadium recovery from oil fly ash by leaching, precipitation and solvent extraction processesR Navarro
Universidad de Guanajuato, Instituto de Investigaciones Cientificas, Cerro de la Venada s n, Pueblito de Rocha, C P 36040 Guanajuato, Gto, Mexico
Waste Manag 27:425-38. 2007..Despite a lower leaching efficiency (compared to sulfuric acid), sodium hydroxide was selected for vanadium leaching since it is more selective for vanadium (versus other transition metals)...
- Adsorption of fluoride, phosphate, and arsenate ions on a new type of ion exchange fiberLiu Ruixia
State Key Laboratory of Environmental Aquatic Chemistry, Research Center for Eco Environmental Sciences, Chinese Academy of Sciences, P O Box 2871, Beijing, 100085, China
J Colloid Interface Sci 248:268-74. 2002..50 mol/L NaOH at elution rate of 1 mL/min, and 30 mL of NaOH is necessary for the quantitative recovery of phosphate and arsenate ions...
- Acid- and base-catalyzed hydrolysis of chloroacetamide herbicidesDaniel L Carlson
Department of Geography and Environmental Engineering, Johns Hopkins University, 313 Ames Hall, 3400 North Charles Street, Baltimore, Maryland 21218 2686, USA
J Agric Food Chem 54:4740-50. 2006..Hydroxy-substituted, morpholinone, and secondary aniline derivatives were identified upon reaction for several years in deionized water at circumneutral pH...
- Adsorptive removal of heavy metals from aqueous solution by treated sawdust (Acacia arabica)Ajay Kumar Meena
Centre for Fire, Explosive and Environment Safety CFEES, Defence R and D Organisation DRDO, Brig S K Mazumdar Road, Timarpur, Delhi 110054, India
J Hazard Mater 150:604-11. 2008..The results indicate the potential application of this method for effluent treatment in industries and also provide strong evidence to support the adsorption mechanism proposed...
- Effect of alkaline treatment of pure titanium and its alloys on the bonding strength of dental veneering resinsSeiji Ban
Division of Biomaterials Science, Kagoshima University Graduate School of Medical and Dental Sciences, Kagoshima, Japan
J Biomed Mater Res A 66:138-45. 2003..01). In conclusion, alkaline treatment is a simple, effective surface modification of titanium that improves bonding to veneering resin...
- Does amniotic membrane transplantation improve the outcome of autologous limbal transplantation?Diane Marinho
Opthalmology Service, Hospital de Clinicas de Porto Alegre, Federal University of Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil
Cornea 22:338-42. 2003..To evaluate the additional benefits of amniotic membrane transplantation (AMT) when combined with conjunctival limbal autograft (CLAU) in the treatment of chronic chemical burns...
- The treatment of alkaline burns of the skin by neutralizationKris Andrews
Isntitute of Plastic Surgery, Southern Illinois University, Springfield, Ill 62794, USA
Plast Reconstr Surg 111:1918-21. 2003..burn model, animals were exposed to an alkaline injury when filter paper (2 cm in diameter) saturated with 2N sodium hydroxide was placed over the volar aspect of the animal for a period of 1 minute...
- ZstatFlu-II test: a chemiluminescent neuraminidase assay for influenza viral diagnosticsKomandoor E Achyuthan
QTL Biosystems, Santa Fe, NM 87507, USA
Luminescence 18:131-9. 2003..Intramolecular general acid catalysis is proposed as a mechanism for the lability of the O-glycosidic linkage of the substrate...
- High performance liquid chromatographic determination of 3-methylflavone-8-carboxylic acid, the main active metabolite of flavoxate hydrochloride in human urineAlaa El-Gindy
Pharmaceutical Analytical Chemistry Department, Faculty of Pharmacy, Suez Canal University, Ismailia 41522, Egypt
J Pharm Biomed Anal 44:274-8. 2007..The proposed method was utilized to the determination of dissolution rate for tablets containing flavoxate hydrochloride. The urinary excretion pattern has been calculated using the proposed method...
- Biosorption of Cu2+ from aqueous solutions by pretreated Cladosporium spDong Xinjiao
School of Life and Environmental Science, Wenzhou University, Wenzhou 325 003, China
J Environ Biol 27:639-43. 2006..1M of Ca2+, Mg2+ ions before further adsorption tests. The pretreated fungi biomass could be used for three cycles: biosorption, elution of biosorbed ion, regeneration of biomass...
- The consequences of delayed intervention when treating chemical eye burnsSafwan Rihawi
Augenklinik Universitätsklinikum, Aachen, Pauwelsstrasse 30, 52074 Aachen, Germany
Graefes Arch Clin Exp Ophthalmol 245:1507-13. 2007..Immediate rescue intervention for chemical and thermal eye burns can save the victim's sight. We studied the anterior chamber pH changes immediately after ex vivo eye burn to investigate the effects of immediate and delayed intervention...
- The study of the influence of surfactant charge on alkaline hydrolysis reactions of acetylsalicylic acid (ASA) and triflusal (TFL) using spectrophotometric methodsMónica Ferrit
Departmant of Physical Chemistry, Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Granada, Campus Cartuja S N, 18071 Granada, Spain
Eur J Pharm Sci 31:211-20. 2007..Furthermore, the association constants for both drugs could be determined together with micellar rate constants in heterogeneous media...
- Removal of copper ions by the filamentous fungus, Rhizopus oryzae from aqueous solutionKuber C Bhainsa
Nuclear Agriculture and Biotechnology Division, Bhabha Atomic Research Centre, Trombay, Mumbai 400 085, India
Bioresour Technol 99:3829-35. 2008..Copper uptake decreased with an increasing dose of biosorbent, although enhancement in the total metal ion removal was observed at higher dose...
- Studies on the sorption and desorption characteristics of Zn(II) on the surface soils of nuclear power plant sites in India using a radiotracer techniqueSudhir Dahiya
Environmental Studies Section, Health Physics Division, Bhabha Atomic Research Centre, Mumbai 400085, India
Chemosphere 60:1253-61. 2005..The amount desorbed by strong base (NaOH) and demineralised water was almost negligible from soils of all the sites, whereas the desorption by strong acid (HNO3) was 75-96% of the adsorbed zinc...
- Sonochemical treatment of fly ash for dye removal from wastewaterShaobin Wang
Department of Chemical Engineering, Curtin University of Technology, G P O Box U1987, Perth, WA 6845, Australia
J Hazard Mater 126:91-5. 2005..The adsorption isotherms can be fitted by Langmuir and Freudlich models, while the two-site Langmuir heterogeneous model will present the best result...
- Time-resolved in situ XAS study of the preparation of supported gold clustersEveline Bus
Institute for Chemical and Bioengineering, ETH Zurich, 8093, Zurich, Switzerland
Phys Chem Chem Phys 9:3312-20. 2007....
- L-arginine potentiates negative inotropic and metabolic effects to myocardium partly through the amiloride sensitive mechanismKoh Takeuchi
Department of Cardiac Surgery, Children s Hospital, Boston and Harvard Medical School, MA 02115, USA
Jpn J Physiol 52:207-15. 2002..production...
- Effect of overexpression of PPARgamma on the healing process of corneal alkali burn in miceShizuya Saika
Dept of Ophthalmology, Wakayama Medical University, 811 1 Kimiidera, Wakayama, 641 0012, Japan
Am J Physiol Cell Physiol 293:C75-86. 2007..Together, these data suggest that overexpression of PPARgamma may represent an effective new strategy for treatment of ocular surface burns...
- Structure of cellulose-soda solutions at low temperaturesC Roy
Ecole des Mines de Paris, , UMR CNRS/Ecole des Mines 7635, BP 207, 06904 Sophia-Antipolis, France
Biomacromolecules 2:687-93. 2001..The addition of cellulose does not change the amount of the free water. The cellulose chains are located in the hydrate region, one to two hydroxyl groups of the glucopyranose unit being bound to a soda hydrate...
- Kinetics of cellulose regeneration from cellulose--NaOH--water gels and comparison with cellulose--N-methylmorpholine-N-oxide--water solutionsRoxane Gavillon
Centre de Mise en Forme des Materiaux, Ecole des Mines de Paris, UMR CNRS 7635, BP 207, 06904 Sophia Antipolis, France
Biomacromolecules 8:424-32. 2007..The swelling of cellulose in different nonsolvent liquids such as water or different alcohols during regeneration was investigated and interpreted using the Hildebrand parameter...
- [Effect of different cooking treatments of Mucuna beans on its L-Dopa content]Carmen Luz García Echeverría
Centro de Ciencia y Tecnología de Alimentos, Universidad del Valle de Guatemala Guatemala
Arch Latinoam Nutr 56:175-84. 2006..Cooking alkaline solutions were achieved using sodium hydroxide, potassium hydroxide, and calcium hydroxide. The acid pH was achieved through the use of HCl...
- In vivo and in vitro inhibitory effect of amniotic extraction on neovascularizationAihua Jiang
Zhongshan Ophthalmic Center, Sun Yat Sen University, Guangzhou, China
Cornea 25:S36-40. 2006..To prepare amniotic extraction (AE) and to test its antiangiogenic effect in vivo and in vitro...
- Flt-1 intraceptor induces the unfolded protein response, apoptotic factors, and regression of murine injury-induced corneal neovascularizationNirbhai Singh
Department of Ophthalmology, Medical College of Georgia, 1120 15th Street, Atlanta, GA 30912, USA
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 47:4787-93. 2006....
- Plasminogen kringle 5 inhibits alkali-burn-induced corneal neovascularizationZhihong Zhang
Zhongshan Ophthalmic Center, Zhongshan University, Guangzhou, People s Republic of China
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 46:4062-71. 2005..Plasminogen kringle 5 (K5) is a potent angiogenic inhibitor. The purpose of the present study was to evaluate the therapeutic effect of K5 on alkali-burn-induced corneal neovascularization (NV) and to investigate its mechanism of action...
- Accelerated wound healing of alkali-burned corneas in MRL mice is associated with a reduced inflammatory signatureMotonobu Ueno
Jackson Laboratory, Bar Harbor, ME 04609, USA
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 46:4097-106. 2005..The present study was conducted to investigate healing of alkali-burned corneas in MRL/MpJ (MRL) mice...
- Chemical resistance of the gram-negative bacteria to different sanitizers in a water purification systemPriscila G Mazzola
Department of Biochemical and Pharmaceutical Technology, School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Sao Paulo, Avda, Professor Lineu Prestes, 580, Bloco 16, 05508 900, Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, Brazil
BMC Infect Dis 6:131. 2006....
- Acaricidal, pediculocidal and larvicidal activity of synthesized ZnO nanoparticles using wet chemical route against blood feeding parasitesArivarasan Vishnu Kirthi
Unit of Nanotechnology and Bioactive Natural Products, Post Graduate and Research Department of Zoology, C Abdul Hakeem College, Melvisharam 632 509, Vellore District, Tamil Nadu, India
Parasitol Res 109:461-72. 2011..of synthesized zinc oxide nanoparticles (ZnO NPs) prepared by wet chemical method using zinc nitrate and sodium hydroxide as precursors and soluble starch as stabilizing agent against the larvae of cattle tick Rhipicephalus (..
- Effect of eye pigmentation on transscleral drug deliveryNarayan P S Cheruvu
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, NE 68198, USA
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 49:333-41. 2008..To determine the influence of eye pigmentation on transscleral retinal delivery of celecoxib...
- In vivo evaluation of albendazole microspheres for the treatment of Toxocara canis larva migransMaría G Barrera
Departamento Farmacia, Universidad Nacional de Rosario, Rosario, Argentina
Eur J Pharm Biopharm 75:451-4. 2010..were prepared by ionotropic gelation with sodium lauryl sulphate or by a liquid-liquid phase separation with sodium hydroxide. Mice were infected with T. canis and then treated with both albendazole-chitosan microparticles...
- Pathology of ocular irritation with acetone, cyclohexanol, parafluoroaniline, and formaldehyde in the rabbit low-volume eye testJ K Maurer
The Procter and Gamble Co, Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
Toxicol Pathol 29:187-99. 2001The ocular irritation responses to 11 different surfactants and two concentrations of acetic acid and sodium hydroxide have been shown to depend on the extent of initial injury, despite marked differences in the processes leading to ..
- Epidemiology of 377 patients with chemical burns in Guangdong provinceYoufu Xie
Department of Burns, The Red Cross Hospital, 396 Tongfu Zhong Road, Jinan University, Guangzhou 510220, China
Burns 30:569-72. 2004..Strong acids (60.8%), mainly sulfuric acid, nitric acid, hydrofluoric acid, alkali (33.9%), mainly lime and sodium hydroxide were common causative agents...
- Behaviour and dynamics of di-ammonium phosphate in bauxite processing residue sand in Western Australia--II. Phosphorus fractions and availabilityC R Chen
Environmental Futures Centre and Griffith School of Environment, Griffith University, Nathan, QLD, 4111, Australia
Environ Sci Pollut Res Int 17:1110-8. 2010The production of alumina involves its extraction from bauxite ore using sodium hydroxide under high temperature and pressure...
- Preliminary investigation of the simultaneous detection of sugars, ascorbic acid, citric acid, and sodium benzoate in non-alcoholic beverages by matrix-assisted laser desorption/ionization time-of-flight mass spectrometryFolahan O Ayorinde
Department of Chemistry, Howard University, Washington, DC 20059, USA
Rapid Commun Mass Spectrom 17:1735-42. 2003..K](+), was detected at m/z 381. Using sodium hydroxide as dopant, the fructose and sucrose ions were detected at m/z 203 and 365, respectively...
- Measurement of 25-OH-vitamin D in human serum using liquid chromatography tandem-mass spectrometry with comparison to radioimmunoassay and automated immunoassayJohannes M W Van Den Ouweland
Department of Clinical Chemistry, Canisius Wilhelmina Hospital, Nijmegen, The Netherlands
J Chromatogr B Analyt Technol Biomed Life Sci 878:1163-8. 2010..or patient sera and 25-OH vitamin D metabolites were released from vitamin D binding protein by adding sodium hydroxide prior to protein precipitation by acetonitrile/methanol (9:1, v/v)...
- Enabling Metabolic Imaging Using Hyperpolarized 13C Magnetic ResonanceNEAL KALECHOFSKY; Fiscal Year: 2009..our proprietary technique, extracted from the cryostat, transported to a nearby hospital, reacted with a sodium hydroxide base solution to form HP sodium acetate solution and then used to carry out a variety of hyperpolarized ..
- ROLE OF TGFBETA IN CORNEAL STROMAL WOUND HEALINGJames V Jester; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- STUDIES IN ALKALOID TOTAL SYNTHESISSTEVEN WEINREB; Fiscal Year: 2003..In all of these projects a strong emphasis has been placed on developing new, practical methods of organic synthesis. ..
- KERATOCYTE CRYSTALLIN PROTEINS AND CORNEAL TRANSPARENCYJAMES JESTER; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- Helical Rosette Nanotubes for Treating Osteoporotic BoneThomas Webster; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- Chemical Studies on Anticancer Natural ProductsSTEVEN WEINREB; Fiscal Year: 2007..A total synthesis of the unusual cyclopropane-containing alkaloid lundurine A is in progress and will be completed, as will a new stereoselective total synthesis of the immunosuppressant agent FR901483. ..
- Elevated potassium ion in lacrimal fluid and the health of the ocular surfaceJohn Ubels; Fiscal Year: 2009..If the high potassium in tears is important for the health of the ocular surface, this information will be useful in the development of improved treatments for dry eye disease. ..
- Designing HTA therapy for drug resistant malariaChristian Wolf; Fiscal Year: 2009..Our long term goal is the identification of novel, inexpensive, efficacious therapy for treating drug resistant malaria. ..
- PROTEIN-MINERAL INTERACTIONS AND CALCIUM OXALATE STONESROSEMARY RYALL; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- Development of Sensory/Pain-Selective Local AnestheticsPeter Gerner; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Thymosin beta 4 and Corneal Wound HealingGabriel Sosne; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- Thymosin beta 4 and Autoimmune Ocular Surface DiseaseGabriel Sosne; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- INFLAMMATION AND INHIBITORS IN THE ALKALI-INJURED EYERoswell Pfister; Fiscal Year: 2004..There is considerable expectation that this basic pathophysiologic approach will lead to the use of novel treatments, which are based on the molecular pathology found in the alkali-injured eye. ..
- Analysis of Lacrimal Gland by Laser MicrodissectionJohn Ubels; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- THE ROLE OF RETINOIDS IN LACRIMAL GLAND FUNCTIONJohn Ubels; Fiscal Year: 2002..abstract_text> ..