- Risk-benefit balance in the use of fluoride among young children
L G Do
Australian Research Centre for Population Oral Health, School of Dentistry, The University of Adelaide, Australia 5005
J Dent Res 86:723-8. 2007
..Evaluation of the risk-benefit balance of fluoride exposure provides evidence to assist in the formulation of appropriate guidelines for fluoride use...
- Simultaneous phase and size control of upconversion nanocrystals through lanthanide doping
Department of Chemistry, National University of Singapore, 117543, Singapore
Nature 463:1061-5. 2010
- Widespread genetic switches and toxicity resistance proteins for fluoride
Jenny L Baker
Department of Chemistry, Yale University, Box 208103, New Haven, CT 06520, USA
Science 335:233-5. 2012
..Our findings indicate that most organisms are naturally exposed to toxic levels of fluoride and that many species use fluoride-sensing RNAs to control the expression of proteins that alleviate the deleterious effects of this anion...
- Use of fluorides in dental caries management
C H Chu
Faculty of Dentistry, University of Hong Kong, China
Gen Dent 58:37-43; quiz 44-5, 79-80. 2010
Fluoride is commonly and widely used to prevent and even arrest caries. The clinical effects of fluorides depend on the chemical compounds utilized and the methods used to apply the fluoride ion to the surface of the tooth...
- Ultrasmall monodisperse NaYF(4):Yb(3+)/Tm(3+) nanocrystals with enhanced near-infrared to near-infrared upconversion photoluminescence
Institute for Lasers, Photonics, and Biophotonics, The State University of New York at Buffalo, Buffalo, New York 14260, USA
ACS Nano 4:3163-8. 2010
..An optimization of both size and UC PL efficiency of NIR-to-NIR nanocrystals provides us with highly efficient optical imaging probes for bioapplications...
- Dental fluorosis in permanent incisor teeth in relation to water fluoridation, social deprivation and toothpaste use in infancy
E D Tabari
Newcastle City Health NHS Trust, Walkergate Centre, Newcastle upon Tyne
Br Dent J 189:216-20. 2000
- Fluoride in drinking water and its removal
Centre for Rural Development and Technology, Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi, Hauz Khas, New Delhi, India
J Hazard Mater 137:456-63. 2006
..It has been concluded that the selection of treatment process should be site specific as per local needs and prevailing conditions as each technology has some limitations and no one process can serve the purpose in diverse conditions...
- Timing of fluoride intake in relation to development of fluorosis on maxillary central incisors
Department of Preventive and Community Dentistry, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA 52242 1010, USA
Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 34:299-309. 2006
..This study reports the relationships of fluoride intake during the first 48 months of life with fluorosis on early-erupting permanent teeth...
- Prospective study of the association between fluoride intake and dental fluorosis in permanent teeth
C C Martins
School of Dentistry, Federal University of Minas Gerais, Belo Horizonte, Brazil
Caries Res 42:125-33. 2008
..To evaluate the relationship between fluoride intake and dental fluorosis in permanent central incisors and first molars...
- Upconversion fluorescence imaging of cells and small animals using lanthanide doped nanocrystals
Dev K Chatterjee
Division of Bioengineering, National University of Singapore, Singapore 117574, Singapore
Biomaterials 29:937-43. 2008
..To the best of our knowledge, this represents the first demonstration of use of upconversion fluorophores for cellular and tissue imaging...
- Reasons for the caries decline: what do the experts believe?
Department of Cariology, Faculty of Odontology, University of Lund, Sweden
Eur J Oral Sci 104:416-22; discussion 423-5, 430-2. 1996
..The 25 items were divided into main groups under the heading of diet, fluorides, plaque, saliva, dentist/dental materials and other factors...
- Influence of genetic background on fluoride metabolism in mice
J G Carvalho
Department of Biological Sciences, Bauru Dental School, University of Sao Paulo, Al Octavio Pinheiro Brisolla, 9 75, Bauru SP 17012 901, Sao Paulo, Brazil
J Dent Res 88:1054-8. 2009
..In conclusion, these strains differ with respect to several features of F metabolism, and amelogenesis in the 129P3/J strain seems to be unaffected by high F exposure...
- Reversible inhibition of Escherichia coli inorganic pyrophosphatase by fluoride: trapped catalytic intermediates in cryo-crystallographic studies
V R Samygina
A V Shubnikov Institute of Crystallography, Russian Academy of Sciences, Leninsky Pr 59, 119333 Moscow, Russia
J Mol Biol 366:1305-17. 2007
..We further determined the crystal structure of the Arg43Gln mutant variant of E-PPase complexed with one phosphate and four Mn ions...
- Polymer-coated NaYF₄:Yb³⁺, Er³⁺ upconversion nanoparticles for charge-dependent cellular imaging
Department of Applied Biology and Chemical Technology, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University, Hung Hom, Kowloon, Hong Kong
ACS Nano 5:7838-47. 2011
..Furthermore, this study provides important guidance for the development of UCNPs as specific intracellular nanoprobes, allowing us to control the UCNP-cell interactions by tuning surface properties...
- Fluoride's effects on the formation of teeth and bones, and the influence of genetics
E T Everett
Department of Pediatric Dentistry, School of Dentistry, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 228 Brauer Hall, CB 7450, Chapel Hill, NC 27599, USA
J Dent Res 90:552-60. 2011
b>Fluorides are present in the environment. Excessive systemic exposure to fluorides can lead to disturbances of bone homeostasis (skeletal fluorosis) and enamel development (dental/enamel fluorosis)...
- Fluoride: its role in dentistry
Livia Maria Andalo Tenuta
Biochemistry and Cariology Piracicaba Dental School, University of Campinas UNICAMP, Piracicaba, SP, Brazil
Braz Oral Res 24:9-17. 2010
- Dental fluorosis: variability among different inbred mouse strains
E T Everett
Oral Facial Genetics Division, Department of Oral Facial Development, Indiana University School of Dentistry, Indianapolis 46202, USA
J Dent Res 81:794-8. 2002
..These observations support the contribution of a genetic component in the pathogenesis of dental fluorosis...
- Fluoride effects on bone formation and mineralization are influenced by genetics
Orthopaedic Research Laboratory, Cliniques Universitaires Saint Luc, Catholic University of Louvain, Brussels, Belgium
Bone 43:1067-74. 2008
..In this paper, the structural and material properties of the bone were evaluated to explain the previously observed changes in mechanical properties...
- Proteomic analysis of kidney in rats chronically exposed to fluoride
Claudia A N Kobayashi
Bauru Dental School, University of Sao Paulo, Bauru, SP, Brazil
Chem Biol Interact 180:305-11. 2009
..Thus, proteomic analysis can provide new insights into the alterations in renal metabolism after F exposure, even in low doses...
- A longitudinal study of dental caries risk among very young low SES children
John J Warren
Department of Preventive and Community Dentistry, The University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA 52242 1010, USA
Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 37:116-22. 2009
..The purpose of this study was to assess baseline risk factors for 18-month caries prevalence as part of a longitudinal study of high-risk children...
- A fluoride-derived electrophilic late-stage fluorination reagent for PET imaging
Department of Chemistry and Chemical Biology, Harvard University, Cambridge, MA 02138, USA
Science 334:639-42. 2011
..Late-stage fluorination enables the synthesis of conventionally unavailable positron emission tomography (PET) tracers for anticipated applications in pharmaceutical development as well as preclinical and clinical PET imaging...
- Sources of dietary fluoride intake in 6-7-year-old English children receiving optimally, sub-optimally, and non-fluoridated water
Fatemeh V Zohouri
School of Dental Sciences, Newcastle University, Framlington Place, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE2 4BW, UK
J Public Health Dent 66:227-34. 2006
- Fluoride and children's intelligence: a meta-analysis
Qin Qing Tang
Department of Pathology, Nanjing University School of Medicine, Nanjing Jinling Hospital, Nanjing, Jiangsu 210002, People s Republic of China
Biol Trace Elem Res 126:115-20. 2008
..51 to 3.55; p < 0.01) using a random-effect model, which means that children who live in a fluorosis area have five times higher odds of developing low IQ than those who live in a nonfluorosis area or a slight fluorosis area...
- Mechanisms of action of fluoride for caries control
Marilia Afonso Rabelo Buzalaf
Department of Biological Sciences, Orthodontics and Public Health, Bauru Dental School, University of Sao Paulo, Bauru, Brazil
Monogr Oral Sci 22:97-114. 2011
..Evidence also supports fluoride's systemic mechanism of caries inhibition in pit and fissure surfaces of permanent first molars when it is incorporated into these teeth pre-eruptively...
- Fluoride intake by Brazilian children from two communities with fluoridated water
Saul M Paiva
Faculty of Dentistry, Federal University of Minas Gerais, Belo Horizonte, MG, Brazil
Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 31:184-91. 2003
..To determine total daily fluoride intake by young children from two communities in a developing country...
- Upconversion multicolor fine-tuning: visible to near-infrared emission from lanthanide-doped NaYF4 nanoparticles
Department of Chemistry, National University of Singapore, Singapore 117543
J Am Chem Soc 130:5642-3. 2008
..The approach allows access to a wide range of luminescence emission from visible to near-infrared by single-wavelength excitation...
- Fluoride induces endoplasmic reticulum stress in ameloblasts responsible for dental enamel formation
Department of Cytokine Biology, Forsyth Institute, Harvard School of Dental Medicine, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
J Biol Chem 280:23194-202. 2005
..Ire1 levels appeared induced by fluoride treatment, indicating that ER stress may play a role in dental fluorosis. Low dose fluoride, such as that present in fluoridated drinking water, did not induce ER stress...
- Caries-preventive effect of fluoride toothpaste: a systematic review
Department of Odontology, Pediatric Dentistry, Umea University, Umea, Sweden
Acta Odontol Scand 61:347-55. 2003
..In conclusion, this review reinforced the importance of daily toothbrushing with fluoridated toothpastes for preventing dental caries, although long-term studies in age groups other than children and adolescents are still lacking...
- Arsenic and fluoride exposure in drinking water: children's IQ and growth in Shanyin county, Shanxi province, China
San xiang Wang
Shanxi Institute for Prevention and Treatment of Endemic Disease, Linfen, 041000 Shanxi Province, People s Republic of China
Environ Health Perspect 115:643-7. 2007
- Fluoride and organic weak acids as modulators of microbial physiology
Robert E Marquis
Department of Microbiology and Immunology and Center for Oral Biology, University of Rochester Medical Center, Rochester, NY 14642 8672, USA
FEMS Microbiol Rev 26:493-510. 2003
..Hopefully, this review will stimulate interest in the antimicrobial effects of fluoride or other weak acids and lead to more effective use of the agents for disease control and other applications...
- Fluoride intake levels in relation to fluorosis development in permanent maxillary central incisors and first molars
Department of Dental Public Health and Behavioral Science, School of Dentistry, University of Missouri Kansas City, Kansas City, MO, USA
Caries Res 40:494-500. 2006
..The study suggests that fluorosis prevalence is related to elevated fluoride intake when averaged over the first 3 years of life, but is even more strongly related to fluoride intake that is elevated for all of the first 3 years of life...
- High contrast in vitro and in vivo photoluminescence bioimaging using near infrared to near infrared up-conversion in Tm3+ and Yb3+ doped fluoride nanophosphors
Institute for Lasers, Photonics and Biophotonics, Department of Chemistry, University at Buffalo, State University of New York, Buffalo, New York 14260 3000, USA
Nano Lett 8:3834-8. 2008
..No apparent cytotoxicity was observed. Subsequent animal imaging studies were performed using Balb-c mice injected intravenously with up-converting nanophosphors, demonstrating the high contrast PL imaging in vivo...
- The science and practice of caries prevention
J D Featherstone
Department of Preventive and Restorative Dental Sciences, University of California, San Francisco 94143, USA
J Am Dent Assoc 131:887-99. 2000
..Protective factors--which include salivary calcium, phosphate and proteins, salivary flow, fluoride in saliva, and antibacterial components or agents--can balance, prevent or reverse dental caries...
- Silver compounds used in dentistry for caries management: a review
J J Y Peng
Oral Rehabilitation, Faculty of Dentistry, The University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong, China
J Dent 40:531-41. 2012
..The aim of this review is to examine the evidence supporting the therapeutic use of silver in dentistry and the outcomes from the clinical trials, as well as mode of action and biocompatibility...
- Improved 18F labeling of peptides with a fluoride-aluminum-chelate complex
William J McBride
Immunomedics, Inc, Morris Plains, New Jersey 07950, USA
Bioconjug Chem 21:1331-40. 2010
..The IMP467 peptide could be labeled up to 115 GBq/micromol (3100 Ci/mmol), with a total reaction and purification time of 30 min without chromatographic purification...
- Considerations on optimal fluoride intake using dental fluorosis and dental caries outcomes--a longitudinal study
John J Warren
Department of Preventive and Community Dentistry, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA 52242 1010, USA
J Public Health Dent 69:111-5. 2009
- Fluoridated toothpaste: usage and ingestion of fluoride by 4- to 6-yr-old children in England
Fatemeh V Zohoori
Health and Social Care Institute, Teesside University, Middlesbrough, UK
Eur J Oral Sci 120:415-21. 2012
..25 g), only one child had a daily fluoride intake that exceeded the tolerable upper intake level of 0.1 mg kg(-1) of body weight for this age group...
- Influence of fluoride, hydrogen peroxide and lactic acid on the corrosion resistance of commercially pure titanium
INSERM, EMI 0335 LHEA, Faculte de Medecine, F 49045 Angers Cedex, France
Acta Biomater 2:121-9. 2006
..AFM appeared to be more sensitive than SEM in evaluating the corrosion of the titanium. Chemical species, either environmental or those released by macrophages and bacteria, can provoke a marked attack of the titanium surface...
- The effective use of fluorides in public health
British Fluoridation Society, Booth Hall Children s Hospital, Manchester, England
Bull World Health Organ 83:670-6. 2005
..Early research and development was concerned with waterborne fluorides, both naturally occurring and added, and their effects on the prevalence and incidence of dental caries and ..
- The precision and sensitivity of (18)F-fluoride PET for measuring regional bone metabolism: a comparison of quantification methods
King s College London, Osteoporosis Screening and Research Unit, Guy s Hospital, London, UK
J Nucl Med 52:1748-55. 2011
- Effects of alendronate on bone metabolism in glucocorticoid-induced osteoporosis measured by 18F-fluoride PET: a prospective study
Department of Orthopaedics and Rehabilitation Medicine, Faculty of Medical Sciences, University of Fukui, Fukui, Japan
J Nucl Med 50:1808-14. 2009
- Fatigue and fluoride corrosion on Streptococcus mutans adherence to titanium-based implant/component surfaces
Cassia Bellotto Correa
Department of Dental Materials and Prosthodontics, UNESP Sao Paulo State University, Araraquara, SP, Brazil
J Prosthodont 18:382-7. 2009
..The influence of fatigue and the fluoride ion corrosion process on Streptococcus mutans adherence to commercially pure Titanium (Cp Ti) implant/component set surfaces were studied...
- Core-shell NaYF4:Yb3+,Tm3+@FexOy nanocrystals for dual-modality T2-enhanced magnetic resonance and NIR-to-NIR upconversion luminescent imaging of small-animal lymphatic node
Advanced Materials Laboratory and Department of Chemistry, Fudan University, Shanghai, PR China
Biomaterials 32:7200-8. 2011
..Moreover, the toxicity of NaYF(4):Yb(3+),Tm(3+)@Fe(x)O(y) nanocrystals has also been evaluated by MTT assay, IC50 values, and histological analysis of lymphatic node sections...
- Economic evaluation of dental caries prevention: a systematic review
National Institute of Public Health, Stockholm, Sweden
Acta Odontol Scand 61:341-6. 2003
..The scarcity of well-conducted studies, as well as contradictory evidence in the reviewed articles, makes it difficult to judge the health-economic effect of the studied caries-prevention methods...
- Morphologically controlled synthesis of colloidal upconversion nanophosphors and their shape-directed self-assembly
Department of Chemistry, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 107:22430-5. 2010
..This dramatically improved nanophosphor synthesis together with insights from shape-directed assembly will advance the investigation of an array of emerging biological and energy-related nanophosphor applications...
- Effects of fluorides on apoptosis and activation of human umbilical vein endothelial cells
Department of Neonatology and Intensive Neonatal Care Unit, Medical University of Bialystok, Bialystok, Poland
Oral Dis 18:280-4. 2012
To determine the effects of fluorides on endothelial functioning.
- How safe are the global water coverage figures? Case study from Madhya Pradesh, India
UNICEF, 1440 Zimbabwe Avenue, Maputo, Mozambique
Environ Monit Assess 176:561-74. 2011
..In Indore Zone, the coverage of safe water reduced from 42% to 25% through the inclusion of the water safety parameters. The study recommends the inclusion of water quality/safety data in reported data under the UNICEF/WHO JMP...
- Treatment of high fluoride concentration water by MgAl-CO3 layered double hydroxides: kinetic and equilibrium studies
West Branch of Zhejiang University of Technology, 78 Jiu Hua Da Dao, Ke Cheng District, Quzhou City, Zhejiang 324000, China
Water Res 41:1534-42. 2007
..2+/-5.26 and 72.6+/-4.52kJ/mol, respectively, suggesting that the rapid step is controlled by diffusion processes, whilst the second step is controlled by the reaction of fluoride with the LDHs...
- Is the use of fluoride toothpaste optimal? Knowledge, attitudes and behaviour concerning fluoride toothpaste and toothbrushing in different age groups in Sweden
Public Dental Health, Vastra Gotaland Region, Gothenburg, Sweden
Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 40:175-84. 2012
..The aim of this study was to evaluate self-care routines in a population by identifying knowledge, attitudes and behaviour relating to fluoride toothpaste and toothbrushing habits...
- Fluoride ion encapsulation by Mg2+ ions and phosphates in a fluoride riboswitch
Structural Biology Program, Memorial Sloan Kettering Center, New York, New York 10065, USA
Nature 486:85-9. 2012
..The T. petrophila fluoride riboswitch probably functions in gene regulation through a transcription termination mechanism...
- Randomized clinical trial on effectiveness of silver diamine fluoride and glass ionomer in arresting dentine caries in preschool children
Qing hui Zhi
Guangdong Provincial Key Laboratory of Stomatology and School of Stomatology, Sun Yat Sen University, Guangzhou, China
J Dent 40:962-7. 2012
- Mechanical properties of one and two-step fluoridated orthodontic resins submitted to different pH cycling regimes
School of Dentistry of Rio de Janeiro, Federal University of Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Braz Oral Res 24:197-203. 2010
..05). It could be concluded that Transbond Plus Color Change resin presented better shear bond strength and adhesive remnant index when submitted to high cariogenic challenge, in comparison with Orthodontic Fill Magic...
- The genetic influence on bone susceptibility to fluoride
Orthopaedic Research Laboratory, Cliniques Universitaires Saint Luc, Catholic University of Louvain, Brussels, Belgium
Bone 39:1283-9. 2006
..Nevertheless, to date, only few animal studies explore an underlying genetic basis for extrinsic factors effect such as fluoride effect on bone metabolism...
- Association between socioeconomic factors and the choice of dentifrice and fluoride intake by children
Carolina Castro Martins
Department of Paediatric Dentistry and Orthodontics, School of Dentistry, Federal University of Minas Gerais, Belo Horizonte, Brazil
Int J Environ Res Public Health 8:4284-99. 2011
..The amount of dentifrice used can strongly increase the risk of exposure to higher doses of F, regardless of the type of dentifrice...
- Comparing the efficacy in reducing dentin hypersensitivity of a new toothpaste containing 8.0% arginine, calcium carbonate, and 1450 ppm fluoride to a commercial sensitive toothpaste containing 2% potassium ion: an eight-week clinical study in Rome, Italy
University of Rome at Tor Vergata, Department of Odonto Stomatology Cattedra Di Pedodonzia, Rome, Italy
J Clin Dent 20:17-22. 2009
..75% potassium chloride, and 1450 ppm fluoride as sodium fluoride (NaF)...
- Cochrane reviews of randomized trials of fluoride therapies for preventing dental caries
V C C Marinho
Queen Mary University of London, Barts and the London School of Medicine and Dentistry, Institute of Dentistry, Turner Street, London, UK
Eur Arch Paediatr Dent 10:183-91. 2009
..To present the evidence summarized in the Cochrane fluoride reviews...
- Brick tea fluoride as a main source of adult fluorosis
Tea and Health Laboratory, Xiangya School of Medical Sciences, Central South University, Changsha 410078, Hunan, PR China
Food Chem Toxicol 41:535-42. 2003
..The results suggest that this brick tea-type fluorosis had even more severe adverse effects on human health compared with both the water-type and coal combustion-type fluorosis that occurred in other areas of China...
- Overview of the clinical evidence for the use of NovaMin in providing relief from the pain of dentin hypersensitivity
GlaxoSmithKline Consumer Healthcare Weybridge, Surrey, UK
J Clin Dent 22:90-5. 2011
..This article reviews the available literature and finds support based on randomized controlled clinical trials for the use of NovaMin in anhydrous toothpaste formulations in providing relief of pain from dentin hypersensitivity...
- Global trends in dental fluorosis from 1980 to 2000: a systematic review
Department of Community Dentistry, Faculty of Dentistry, University of Limpopo
SADJ 60:418-21. 2005
..To determine trends in fluorosis prevalence at water fluoride levels <0.3, >0.3 to <0.7, and >0.7 to 1.4 ppm from 1980 to 2000...
- Composition tuning the upconversion emission in NaYF4:Yb/Tm hexaplate nanocrystals
Department of Materials Science and Engineering, University of California, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
Nanoscale 3:963-6. 2011
- Determinants of oral health behaviour among Iranian dentists
Department of Oral Public Health, Institute of Dentistry, University of Helsinki, Finland
Int Dent J 57:237-42. 2007
..To study the oral health behaviour of Iranian dentists...
- Differential effects of teriparatide on regional bone formation using (18)F-fluoride positron emission tomography
Michelle L Frost
Osteoporosis Research Unit, Division of Imaging Sciences, King s College London, Guy s Campus, London, UK
J Bone Miner Res 26:1002-11. 2011
..We conclude that the changes in bone formation rate during teriparatide treatment as measured by (18)F(-) PET differ at different skeletal sites, with larger increases in cortical bone than at trabecular sites...
- Genetic background influences fluoride's effects on osteoclastogenesis
Dental Research, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, NC, USA
Bone 41:1036-44. 2007
..The expected anabolic effects were observed in B6 and novel actions hallmarked by enhanced osteoclastogenesis shifts in hematopoietic cell differentiation in the C3H strain...
- Fluoride in dental erosion
Ana Carolina Magalhaes
Bauru Dental School, University of Sao Paulo, Bauru, Brazil
Monogr Oral Sci 22:158-70. 2011
..the formation of a protective layer on dental hard tissue, which is composed of CaF(2) (in case of conventional fluorides like amine fluoride or sodium fluoride) or of metal-rich surface precipitates (in case of titanium tetrafluoride ..
- Fluoride and mineralized tissues
Franklin W Olin College of Engineering, Needham, MA 02492, USA
Crit Rev Biomed Eng 36:183-223. 2008
..These effects have been observed in communities where the local drinking water has naturally high fluoride levels. Understanding the influence of fluoride on mineralized tissues is, therefore, of considerable significance...
- Effects of different kinds of fluorides on enolase and ATPase activity of a fluoride-sensitive and fluoride-resistant Streptococcus mutans strain
C van Loveren
Department of Cariology, Endodontology, Pedodontology, Academic Centre for Dentistry Amsterdam ACTA, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Caries Res 42:429-34. 2008
..C180-2 and its fluoride-resistant mutant strain C180-2 FR were preincubated at pH 7 or 4 with NaF, the amine fluorides Olaflur and Dectaflur and amine chloride controls...
- Antibiofilm activity of nanosized magnesium fluoride
The Mina and Everard Goodman Faculty of Life Sciences, The Institute for Advanced Materials and Nanotechnology, Bar Ilan University, Ramat Gan, Israel
Biomaterials 30:5969-78. 2009
..The MgF(2) coated surfaces effectively restricted biofilm formation of the tested bacteria. Taken together these results highlight the potential for developing MgF(2) nanoparticles in order to inhibit bacterial infections...
- Detection of bone metastases in patients with lung cancer: 99mTc-MDP planar bone scintigraphy, 18F-fluoride PET or 18F-FDG PET/CT
Medical Clinic II, University Hospital, Ulm, Germany
Eur J Nucl Med Mol Imaging 36:1807-12. 2009
- Strategies to enhance the biological effects of fluoride on dental biofilms
Eastman Department of Dentistry and Center for Oral Biology, University of Rochester Medical Center, Rochester, NY 14620, USA
Adv Dent Res 20:17-21. 2008
- Combination effect of fluoride dentifrices and varnish on deciduous enamel demineralization
Departamento de Odontopediatria, Faculdade de Odontologia, São Leopoldo Mandic, Campinas, SP, Brazil
Braz Oral Res 25:433-8. 2011
..05). The data suggest that the combination of F-varnish with dentifrices containing 500 and 1100 ppm F is not more effective in reducing demineralization in primary teeth than the isolated effect of dentifrice containing 1100 ppm F...
- Effect of fluoridated bleaching gels on the remineralization of predemineralized bovine enamel in vitro
Department of Operative Dentistry and Periodontology, University School of Dental Medicine, CharitéCentrum 3, Germany
J Dent 37:156-62. 2009
..This study evaluated possible differences regarding the remineralization of predemineralized enamel after exposure to fluoridated or non-fluoridated bleaching gels...
- The effect of fluoride therapies on the morphology of bleached human dental enamel
Stella da Silva Ferreira
Deparment of Restorative Dentistry, University of Sao Paulo, FOUSP, SP, Brazil
Microsc Res Tech 74:512-6. 2011
..These morphological changes were higher after the application of 1.23% acidulated fluoride gel...
- Pre and post natal exposure of fluoride induced oxidative macromolecular alterations in developing central nervous system of rat and amelioration by antioxidants
Piler Mahaboob Basha
Department of Zoology, Bangalore University, Bangalore, 560056, India
Neurochem Res 35:1017-28. 2010
..The administration of antioxidants remedied the disquiet caused by high fluoride exposure at extreme vulnerable periods of life...
- Influence of methionine and vitamin E on fluoride concentration in bones and teeth of rats exposed to sodium fluoride in drinking water
Department of Biochemistry, Silesian Medical University, 19 Jordana Str, 41 808 Zabrze, Poland
Biol Trace Elem Res 146:335-9. 2012
Increased exposure to fluorine-containing compounds leads to accumulation of fluorides in hard tissues of bones and teeth, which may result in numerous skeletal and dental disorders...
- The relationships between low levels of urine fluoride on children's intelligence, dental fluorosis in endemic fluorosis areas in Hulunbuir, Inner Mongolia, China
Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention, Harbin Medical University, Harbin 150081, Heilongjiang, China
J Hazard Mater 186:1942-6. 2011
- Influence of carbamide peroxide on enamel fluoride uptake
Department of Operative Dentistry, Preventive Dentistry and Periodontology, Georg August University Gottingen, D 37075 Gottingen, Germany
J Dent 34:668-75. 2006
- Review of fluoride removal from drinking water
Institute of Minerals and Materials Technology, Bhubaneswar 751 013, Orissa, India
J Environ Manage 91:67-77. 2009
..During the last few years, layered double oxides have been of interest as adsorbents for fluoride removal. Such recent developments have been briefly discussed...
- Fluoride intake and urinary excretion in 6- to 7-year-old children living in optimally, sub-optimally and non-fluoridated areas
School of Dental Sciences, University of Newcastle, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 35:479-88. 2007
..Subsidiary aims were to investigate the relationships between the variables measured...
- Fluoride intake by children at risk for the development of dental fluorosis: comparison of regular dentifrices and flavoured dentifrices for children
M J L Oliveira
Faculty of Dentistry, Federal University of Minas Gerais, Belo Horizonte, Brazil
Caries Res 41:460-6. 2007
..Moreover, the dose to which children were exposed with either type of dentifrice was very close to that which is considered the limit (0.05-0.07 mg F/kg/day)...
- Apigenin and tt-farnesol with fluoride effects on S. mutans biofilms and dental caries
Center for Oral Biology and Eastman Dept of Dentistry, University of Rochester Medical Center, 625 Elmwood Avenue, Box 683, Rochester, NY 14620, USA
J Dent Res 84:1016-20. 2005
..Results from these studies showed that apigenin and tt-farnesol may enhance the cariostatic effectiveness of fluoride...
- (18)F-fluoride PET for monitoring therapeutic response in Paget's disease of bone
Department of Molecular Imaging and Experimental Radiotherapy, Catholic University of Louvain, Brussels, Belgium
J Nucl Med 46:1650-8. 2005
..A prospective study was undertaken to evaluate PET with (18)F-fluoride for monitoring the response to bisphosphonates in Paget's disease of bones...
- Caries experience and background factors in 4-year-old children: time trends 1967-2002
Department of Odontology, Paediatric Dentistry, Umea University, Umea, Sweden
Caries Res 38:149-55. 2004
..in northern Sweden, were examined for dental caries and background factors such as oral hygiene habits, use of fluorides, and sugar consumption. The same methods and criteria have been used in each of the studies from 1967 to 2002...
- Available fluoride in toothpastes used by Brazilian children
Jaime Aparecido Cury
Piracicaba Dental School, University of Campinas, Piracicaba, SP, Brazil
Braz Dent J 21:396-400. 2010
..3 to 1432.3 ppm F (mean ± SD of 1017.6 ± 239.4). These findings suggest that most dentifrices used by Brazilian children present available fluoride concentration for caries control...
- Fluoride intake and prevalence of dental fluorosis: trends in fluoride intake with special attention to infants
S J Fomon
Department of Pediatrics, University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics, Iowa City 52242 1083, USA
J Public Health Dent 60:131-9. 2000
..Dental fluorosis is closely associated with fluoride intake during the period of tooth development...
- Fluoride toxicity to aquatic organisms: a review
Julio A Camargo
Departamento Interuniversitario de Ecología, Edificio de Ciencias, Universidad de Alcala, Alcala de Henares, Madrid E 28871, Spain
Chemosphere 50:251-64. 2003
..5 mg F-/l can adversely affect invertebrates and fishes, safe levels below this fluoride/l concentration are recommended in order to protect freshwater animals from fluoride pollution...
- The impact of fluoride on ameloblasts and the mechanisms of enamel fluorosis
A L J J Bronckers
Department of Oral Cell Biology, ACTA, University of Amsterdam and VU University Amsterdam, Research Institute MOVE, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
J Dent Res 88:877-93. 2009
..A new working model is presented, focused on the assumption that fluoride increases the rate of mineral formation, resulting in a greater release of protons into the forming enamel matrix...
- Sugar consumption and caries risk: a systematic review
B A Burt
University of Michigan, School of Public Health, Ann Arbor 48109 2029, USA
J Dent Educ 65:1017-23. 2001
..Controlling the consumption of sugar remains a justifiable part of caries prevention, however, if not always the most important aspect...
- Review on fluoride, with special emphasis on calcium fluoride mechanisms in caries prevention
J M Ten Cate
Department of Cariology Endodontology Pedodontology, Academic Centre for Dentistry Amsterdam ACTA, The Netherlands
Eur J Oral Sci 105:461-5. 1997
..Moreover, due to the phosphate groups on the surface of the calcium fluoride globules, fluoride is assumed to be released with decreasing pH when the phosphate groups are protonated in the dental plaque...
- Elevated fluoride products enhance remineralization of advanced enamel lesions
J M Ten Cate
Cariology Endodontology Pedodontology, Academic Center for Dentistry ACTA, Louwesweg 1, 1066 EA Amsterdam, The Netherlands
J Dent Res 87:943-7. 2008
..With 5000-ppm-F treatments, more demineralizing episodes per day (10 vs. 2 for placebo) would still be repaired by remineralization...
- Review of fluoride exposures and ingestion
S M Levy
Department of Preventive and Community Dentistry, College of Dentistry, University of Iowa, Iowa City
Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 22:173-80. 1994
The literature on fluoride intake/ingestion was reviewed critically to determine the current exposure to fluorides for children living in non-fluoridated and fluoridated areas in North America...
- Current understanding of the epidemiology mechanisms, and prevention of dental caries in preschool children
Department of Pediatric Dentistry, Dental School, University of Maryland, Baltimore, USA
Pediatr Dent 24:543-51. 2002
- Quantitative studies of bone with the use of 18F-fluoride and 99mTc-methylene diphosphonate
G M Blake
Department of Nuclear Medicine, Guy's Hospital, London, England
Semin Nucl Med 31:28-49. 2001
..However, comparable data could probably be obtained by using 99mTc-MDP if methods for single photon emission computed tomography (SPECT) quantitation were improved...
- The water permeability of Arabidopsis plasma membrane is regulated by divalent cations and pH
Biochimie et Physiologie Moleculaire des Plantes, Agro M INRA CNRS UM, 2 place Viala, F 34060 Montpellier Cedex, France
Plant J 30:71-81. 2002
..2-7.5. Thus, both Ca2+ and H+ contribute to a membrane-delimited switch from active to inactive water channels that may allow coupling of water transport to cell signalling and metabolism...
- Dimerisation-dependent GTPase reaction of MnmE: how potassium acts as GTPase-activating element
Max Planck Institut fur molekulare Physiologie, Dortmund, Germany
EMBO J 25:2940-51. 2006
..We propose a model for the juxtaposition of G-domains in the full-length protein and how it induces conformational changes in the putative tRNA-modification centre...
- Fluoride induces endoplasmic reticulum stress and inhibits protein synthesis and secretion
Department of Cytokine Biology, Forsyth Institute, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Environ Health Perspect 116:1142-6. 2008
..The UPR is a signaling pathway responsible for either alleviating endoplasmic reticulum (ER) stress or for inducing apoptosis of the stressed cells...
- Medically administered antibiotics, dietary habits, fluoride intake and dental caries experience in the primary dentition
Boipelo P Mariri
Department of Preventive and Community Dentistry, College of Dentistry, 200 Hawkins Drive 01105 PFP, The University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA 52242, USA
Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 31:40-51. 2003
..The purpose of this study was to assess factors related to extensive caries experience among children aged 4-7 years, including antibiotic use, dietary patterns, fluoride intakes, and tooth brushing habits...
- Susceptibility of enamel surfaces to demineralization after application of fluoridated carbamide peroxide gels
Department of Operative Dentistry, Preventive Dentistry and Periodontology, Georg August University Gottingen, Gottingen, Germany
Caries Res 37:93-9. 2003
..Use of a fluoridated neutral gel decreases the degree of surface softening compared to the other gels investigated...
- The biochemistry and physiology of metallic fluoride: action, mechanism, and implications
Faculty of Dentistry, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Crit Rev Oral Biol Med 14:100-14. 2003
..The aim of this review is to discuss the basic chemical, biochemical, and toxicological properties of metallic fluoride, to explore its potential physiological and clinical implications...
- A double-blind randomized-controlled trial comparing the desensitizing efficacy of a new dentifrice containing carbonate/hydroxyapatite nanocrystals and a sodium fluoride/potassium nitrate dentifrice
Department of Clinical Sciences and Stomatology, Polytechnique University of Marche, Ancona, Italy
J Clin Periodontol 37:510-7. 2010
..The aim of the study was to evaluate the desensitizing efficacy of a new dentifrice based on zinc-carbonate hydroxyapatite (CHA) nanocrystals...
- Fluoride uptake, retention, and remineralization efficacy of a highly concentrated fluoride solution on enamel lesions in situ
Oral Health Research Institute, Indiana University School of Dentistry, Indianapolis, IN, USA
J Dent Res 81:329-33. 2002
Repeated topical application of concentrated fluorides is known to reduce caries. Little is known about fluoride retention and remineralization in incipient caries lesions following a single application...
- Bone metabolic activity in hyperostosis cranialis interna measured with 18F-fluoride PET
Jérôme J Waterval
Department of Otorhinolaryngology and Head and Neck Surgery, Maastricht University Medical Center, PO 5800, 6202 AZ Maastricht, The Netherlands
Eur J Nucl Med Mol Imaging 38:884-93. 2011
..The aim of this study is to compare standardised uptake values (SUVs) at different sites in order to quantify bone metabolism in the affected anatomical regions in HCI patients...