Genomes and Genes
Summary: Radon. A naturally radioactive element with atomic symbol Rn, atomic number 86, and atomic weight 222. It is a member of the noble gas family and released during the decay of radium and found in soil. There is a link between exposure to radon and lung cancer.
Publications320 found, 100 shown here
- Health effects of radon: a review of the literatureMustafa Al-Zoughool
McLaughlin Center for Population Health Risk Assessment, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Canada
Int J Radiat Biol 85:57-69. 2009b>Radon is natural radioactive noble gas that can be found in soil, water, outdoor and indoor air. Exposure to radon accounts for more that 50% of the annual effective dose of natural radioactivity...
- A combined analysis of North American case-control studies of residential radon and lung cancerDaniel Krewski
Department of Epidemiology and Community Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, McLaughlin Centre for Population Health Risk Assessment, Institute of Population Health, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
J Toxicol Environ Health A 69:533-97. 2006Cohort studies have consistently shown underground miners exposed to high levels of radon to be at excess risk of lung cancer, and extrapolations based on those results indicate that residential radon may be responsible for nearly 10-15% ..
- Radon inhalation protects mice from carbon-tetrachloride-induced hepatic and renal damageTakahiro Kataoka
Graduate School of Health Sciences, Okayama University, 5 1 Shikata cho 2 chome, Kita ku, Okayama Shi, Okayama, 700 8558, Japan
Inflammation 34:559-67. 2011We assessed whether radon inhalation provided protection from carbon tetrachloride (CCl4)-induced hepatic and renal damage in mice...
- Elevation of antioxidant enzymes in the clinical effects of radon and thermal therapy for bronchial asthmaFumihiro Mitsunobu
Department of Medicine, Misasa Medical Center, Okayama University Medical School, 827 Yamada, Misasa, Tottori 682 0192, Japan
J Radiat Res 44:95-9. 2003..The aim of this study is to evaluate the clinical effects of radon and thermal therapy on asthma in relation to antioxidant enzymes and lipid peroxide...
- Study on biologic effects of radon and thermal therapy on osteoarthritisKiyonori Yamaoka
Department of Medical Radioscience, Okayama University Medical School, Okayama, Japan
J Pain 5:20-5. 2004b>Radon therapy uses radon (222Rn) gas, which mainly emits alpha-rays and induces a small amount of active oxygen in the body...
- Protective effects of radon inhalation on carrageenan-induced inflammatory paw edema in miceTakahiro Kataoka
Graduate School of Health Sciences, Okayama University, 5 1 Shikata cho 2 chome, Kita ku, Okayama Shi, Okayama 700 8558, Japan
Inflammation 35:713-22. 2012We assessed whether radon inhalation inhibited carrageenan-induced inflammation in mice. Carrageenan (1% v/v) was injected subcutaneously into paws of mice that had or had not inhaled approximately 2,000 Bq/m(3) of radon for 24 h...
- Study of the response of superoxide dismutase in mouse organs to radon using a new large-scale facility for exposing small animals to radonTakahiro Kataoka
Graduate School of Health Sciences, Okayama University, Okayama Shi, Okayama 700 8558, Japan
J Radiat Res 52:775-81. 2011..changes of superoxide dismutase (SOD) activity using a new large-scale facility for exposing small animals to radon. Mice were exposed to radon at a concentration of 250, 500, 1000, 2000, or 4000 Bq/m(3) for 0...
- A record-based case-control study of natural background radiation and the incidence of childhood leukaemia and other cancers in Great Britain during 1980-2006G M Kendall
Childhood Cancer Research Group, University of Oxford, Oxford, UK
Leukemia 27:3-9. 2013..mean for gamma rays, and a predictive map based on domestic measurements grouped by geological boundaries for radon. There was 12% excess relative risk (ERR) (95% CI 3, 22; two-sided P=0...
- Residential radon and lung cancer incidence in a Danish cohortElvira V Bräuner
Diet, Genes and Environment, Danish Cancer Society Research Centre, Copenhagen, Denmark
Environ Res 118:130-6. 2012High-level occupational radon exposure is an established risk factor for lung cancer...
- Domestic radon and childhood cancer in DenmarkOle Raaschou-Nielsen
Institute of Cancer Epidemiology, Danish Cancer Society, Copenhagen, Denmark
Epidemiology 19:536-43. 2008Higher incidence rates of childhood cancer and particularly leukemia have been observed in regions with higher radon levels, but case-control studies have given inconsistent results...
- Two dimensions of measurement error: classical and Berkson error in residential radon exposure assessmentI M Heid
GSF National Research Center for Environment and Health, Insitute of Epidemiology, Ingolstadter Landstrasse 1, 85764 Neuherberg, Germany
J Expo Anal Environ Epidemiol 14:365-77. 2004..We provide a detailed list of sources of error in residential radon exposure assessment, stressing the importance of (a) the differentiation between classical and Berkson error and (..
- Comparative study on the inhibitory effects of antioxidant vitamins and radon on carbon tetrachloride-induced hepatopathyTakahiro Kataoka
Graduate School of Health Sciences, Okayama University, 5 1 Shikata cho 2 chome, Kita ku, Okayama Shi, Okayama 700 8558, Japan
J Radiat Res 53:830-9. 2012We have previously reported that radon inhalation activates anti-oxidative functions and inhibits carbon tetrachloride (CCl(4))-induced hepatopathy...
- Residential radon and lung cancer--detailed results of a collaborative analysis of individual data on 7148 persons with lung cancer and 14,208 persons without lung cancer from 13 epidemiologic studies in EuropeSarah Darby
Clinical Trial Service Unit, Richard Doll Building, University of Oxford, Oxford, United Kingdom
Scand J Work Environ Health 32:1-83. 2006Studies seeking direct estimates of the lung cancer risk associated with residential radon exposure lasting several decades have been conducted in many European countries...
- Mortality (1950-1999) and cancer incidence (1969-1999) in the cohort of Eldorado uranium workersRachel S D Lane
Radiation and Health Sciences Division, Directorate of Environmental and Radiation Protection and Assessment, Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Radiat Res 174:773-85. 2010This study assessed the relationship between radon decay product (RDP) exposure and mortality and cancer incidence in a cohort of 17,660 Eldorado uranium workers first employed in 1932-1980 and followed up through 1999...
- Radon exposure and mortality among white and American Indian uranium miners: an update of the Colorado Plateau cohortMary K Schubauer-Berigan
National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health, Cincinnati, OH 45226, USA
Am J Epidemiol 169:718-30. 2009Studies of uranium miners on the US Colorado Plateau have identified associations between exposure to radon progeny and risk of lung cancer...
- Doses to organs and tissues from radon and its decay productsG M Kendall
National Radiological Protection Board, Chilton, Didcot, Oxon OX11 0RQ, UK
J Radiol Prot 22:389-406. 2002This paper discusses the doses from radon and from its short-lived decay products to a number of organs and tissues and to the foetus...
- Is there any interaction between domestic radon exposure and air pollution from traffic in relation to childhood leukemia risk?Elvira Vaclavik Bräuner
Institute of Cancer Epidemiology, Danish Cancer Society, Strandboulevarden 49, 2100 Copenhagen, Denmark
Cancer Causes Control 21:1961-4. 2010In a recent population-based case-control study using 2,400 cases of childhood cancer, we found a statistically significant association between residential radon and acute lymphoblastic leukemia risk.
- Radon and lung cancerTarsheen K Sethi
Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Hematology Oncology, University of Louisville, Louisville, Kentucky 40202, USA
Clin Adv Hematol Oncol 10:157-64. 2012Lung cancer is the leading cause of cancer-related deaths worldwide. Radon exposure is the second leading cause of lung cancer, following tobacco smoke...
- Natural radioactivity and radon exhalation in building materials used in Italian dwellingsSerena Righi
Centro Interdipartimentale di Ricerca per le Scienze Ambientali and Dipartimento di Fisica, University of Bologna, via dell Agricoltura 5, 48100, Ravenna, Italy
J Environ Radioact 88:158-70. 2006..gamma), as defined and used by the European Commission, and internal (alpha) hazard indexes were calculated and radon specific exhalation rate and emanation fraction were measured...
- A case-referent study of lung cancer and incense smoke, smoking, and residential radon in Chinese menLap Ah Tse
School of Public Health and Primary Care, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong Special Administrative Region, China
Environ Health Perspect 119:1641-6. 2011..Burning incense generates large amounts of air pollutants, many of which are confirmed or suspected human lung carcinogens...
- Radon and skin cancer in southwest England: an ecologic studyBenedict W Wheeler
European Centre for Environment and Human Health, Peninsula College of Medicine and Dentistry, University of Exeter, Knowledge Spa, Royal Cornwall Hospital, Truro, United Kingdom
Epidemiology 23:44-52. 2012b>Radon, a naturally occurring radioactive gas, is a carcinogen that causes a small proportion of lung cancers among exposed populations...
- Study of antioxidative effects and anti-inflammatory effects in mice due to low-dose X-irradiation or radon inhalationTakahiro Kataoka
Graduate School of Health Sciences, Okayama University, Okayama, Japan
J Radiat Res 54:587-96. 2013..This paper reviews new insights into inhibition of ROS-related diseases with low-dose irradiation or radon inhalation. X-irradiation (0...
- Prediction of 222Rn in Danish dwellings using geology and house construction information from central databasesClaus E Andersen
Risø National Laboratory, DK 4000 Roskilde, Denmark
Radiat Prot Dosimetry 123:83-94. 2007..The model provides proxy radon concentrations for about 21,000 houses in a Danish case-control study on the possible association between ..
- Cytogenetic damage in human blood lymphocytes exposed in vitro to radonV Zareena Hamza
Radiological Safety Division, Indira Gandhi Centre for Atomic Research IGCAR, Kalpakkam 603 102, Tamilnadu, India
Mutat Res 661:1-9. 2009The effect of radon in inducing DNA damage was investigated in vitro by two well-established cytogenetic assays. Blood samples were irradiated with radon using a novel irradiation assembly...
- Radon and nonrespiratory mortality in the American Cancer Society cohortMichelle C Turner
Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies, University of Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Am J Epidemiol 176:808-14. 2012b>Radon is a known cause of human lung cancer...
- Radon exposure of the skin: I. Biological effectsM W Charles
School of Physics and Astronomy, University of Birmingham, Edgbaston, Birmingham B15 2TT, UK
J Radiol Prot 27:231-52. 2007b>Radon progeny can plate out on skin and give rise to exposure of the superficial epidermis from alpha emitters Po-218 (7.7 MeV, range approximately 66 microm) and Po-214 (6 MeV, range approximately 44 microm)...
- Dosimetric and epidemiological approaches to assessing radon doses--can the differences be reconciled?John W Stather
National Radiological Protection Board, Chilton, Didcot, Oxon OX11 0RQ, UK
Radiat Prot Dosimetry 112:487-92. 2004..A significant problem in internal radiation dosimetry is the discrepancy between the radiation dose from exposure to radon inferred from epidemiological studies and the higher dose calculated using the Human Respiratory Tract Model (HRTM)..
- Multifactorial study of the risk of lung cancer among French uranium miners: radon, smoking and silicosisJean Christophe Amabile
French Defense Radiation Protection Service SPRA, Clamart, France
Health Phys 97:613-21. 2009..miners provides an opportunity to take account of silicosis and smoking in the assessment of the relation between radon and lung cancer...
- Radon and lung cancer in the American Cancer Society cohortMichelle C Turner
McLaughlin Centre for Population Health Risk Assessment, Institute of Population Health, University of Ottawa, One Stewart Street, Room 313, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada K1N 6N5
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 20:438-48. 2011..studies conducted in North America, Europe, and Asia provided evidence of increased lung cancer risk due to radon in homes...
- Modeling joint exposures and health outcomes for cumulative risk assessment: the case of radon and smokingTeresa Chahine
Harvard School of Public Health, Harvard University, 677 Huntington Avenue, Boston, MA 02215, USA
Int J Environ Res Public Health 8:3688-711. 2011..Residential radon provides an interesting case example, given its large attributable risk, effect modification due to smoking, and ..
- The influence of radon exposures on lung cancer mortality in German uranium miners, 1946-2003Linda Walsh
Federal Office for Radiation Protection, Department Radiation Protection and Health, 85764 Oberschleissheim, Germany
Radiat Res 173:79-90. 2010..The purpose of this study was to investigate and evaluate different forms of models for the radon exposure-related lung cancer mortality risk based on 3,016 lung cancer deaths and 2 million person years...
- Comparative study on the inhibitory effects of α-tocopherol and radon on carbon tetrachloride-induced renal damageTakahiro Kataoka
Graduate School of Health Sciences, Okayama University, Okayama, Japan
Ren Fail 34:1181-7. 2012..attempted to evaluate the quantitative effects of the activation of antioxidative activities in kidney induced by radon inhalation on carbon tetrachloride (CCl4)-induced renal damage. Mice were subjected to intraperitoneal (i.p...
- Domestic radon exposure and the frequency of stable or unstable chromosomal aberrations in lymphocytesC Lindholm
Radiation and Nuclear Safety Authority, Helsinki, Finland
Int J Radiat Biol 75:921-8. 1999To clarify the relationship between domestic radon exposure and the occurrence of chromosomal aberrations, stable translocations especially, in peripheral blood lymphocytes.
- Analysis of the relationship between p53 immunohistochemical expression and risk factors for lung cancer, with special emphasis on residential radon exposureA Ruano-Ravina
Department of Preventive Medicine and Public Health, University of Santiago de Compostela, Santiago de Compostela, Spain
Ann Oncol 19:109-14. 2008Indoor radon exposure has been postulated as the second risk factor of lung cancer after tobacco...
- Molecular analysis of the Ink4a/Rb1-Arf/Tp53 pathways in radon-induced rat lung tumorsKristell Bastide
CEA, DSV, IRCM, SREIT, Laboratoire de Cancerologie Experimentale, BP6, Fontenay aux Roses Cedex F 92265, France
Lung Cancer 63:348-53. 2009Inhalation of radon is closely associated with an increased risk of lung cancers...
- Spatial indoor radon distribution in Mexico CityFrancisco Franco-Marina
National Institute of Respiratory Diseases in Mexico City, Subdirección de Investigación Sociomédica, INER, Calzada de Tlalpan 4502, Colonia Seccion XVI, Mexico D F CP 14080, Mexico
Sci Total Environ 317:91-103. 2003We present a spatial analysis of residential radon concentrations in the Mexico City Metropolitan Area, which we intend to use to assign radon exposure in an ongoing case-control study...
- Radon risk mapping in southern Belgium: an application of geostatistical and GIS techniquesH C Zh
Faculte Polytechnique de Mons, Service de Geologie, Belgium
Sci Total Environ 272:203-10. 2001A data set of long-term radon measurements in approximately 2200 houses in southern Belgium has been collected in an on-going national radon survey. The spatial variation of indoor Rn concentrations is modelled by variograms...
- Radon: a likely carcinogen at all exposuresS Darby
Clinical Trial Service Unit, University of Oxford, UK
Ann Oncol 12:1341-51. 2001b>Radon is a well-established lung carcinogen that has been extensively studied. Very high concentrations can occur in some underground mines. Concentrations also tend to build up in homes.
- Meta-analysis of residential exposure to radon gas and lung cancerMaria Pavia
Medical School, University of Catanzaro Magna Graecia, Catanzaro, Italy
Bull World Health Organ 81:732-8. 2003To investigate the relation between residential exposure to radon and lung cancer.
- Basic study on biochemical mechanism of thoron and thermal therapyTakahiro Kataoka
Graduate School of Health Sciences, Okayama University, 5 1 Shikata cho, 2 chome, Okayama 700 8558, Japan
Physiol Chem Phys Med NMR 38:85-92. 2006..The treatment decreased the total ketone body levels and the finding suggests that the treatment contributes to the prevention of diabetes mellitus related to the insulin deficiency...
- Risk of lung cancer and residential radon in China: pooled results of two studiesJay H Lubin
Division of Cancer Epidemiology and Genetics, National Cancer Institute, Rockville, Maryland 20892, USA
Int J Cancer 109:132-7. 2004Studies of radon-exposed underground miners predict that residential radon is the second leading cause of lung cancer mortality; however, case-control studies of residential radon have not provided unambiguous evidence of an association...
- Radon-induced proteomic profile of lung tissue in ratsNai Yu Xu
College of Pharmacy, Soochow University, Suzhou, China
J Toxicol Environ Health A 71:361-6. 2008..study was to investigate the differential expression of proteins in lung of rats following long-term exposure to radon. The total proteins of lung tissue from Wistar rats exposed to radon for cumulative doses up to 100, 200, or 400 ..
- Radon and other natural radionuclides in drinking water and risk of stomach cancer: a case-cohort study in FinlandAnssi Auvinen
Research and Environmental Surveillance, STUK Radiation and Nuclear Safety Authority, Helsinki, Finland
Int J Cancer 114:109-13. 2005Very high concentrations of naturally occurring radionuclides are encountered in Finnish groundwaters and wells. Radon ingested through drinking water can cause considerable radiation to the stomach...
- Radon in homes and risk of lung cancer: collaborative analysis of individual data from 13 European case-control studiesS Darby
Clinical Trials Service Unit and Epidemiological Studies Unit, Radcliffe Infirmary, Oxford OX2 6HE
BMJ 330:223. 2005To determine the risk of lung cancer associated with exposure at home to the radioactive disintegration products of naturally occurring radon gas.
- A new mechanism for DNA alterations induced by alpha particles such as those emitted by radon and radon progenyB E Lehnert
Life Sciences Division, Los Alamos National Laboratory, New Mexico 87545, USA
Environ Health Perspect 105:1095-101. 1997The mechanism(s) by which alpha (alpha) particles like those emitted from inhaled radon and radon progeny cause their carcinogenic effects in the lung remains unclear...
- Lung cancer attributable to indoor radon exposure in france: impact of the risk models and uncertainty analysisOlivier Catelinois
Institute for Radiation Protection and Nuclear Safety, Fontenay aux Roses, France
Environ Health Perspect 114:1361-6. 2006The inhalation of radon, a well-established human carcinogen, is the principal-and omnipresent-source of radioactivity exposure for the general population of most countries...
- Radon, smoking and lung cancer risk: results of a joint analysis of three European case-control studies among uranium minersKlervi Leuraud
Institute for Radiological Protection and Nuclear Safety, B P 17, F 92262 Fontenay aux Roses Cedex, France
Radiat Res 176:375-87. 2011..case-control studies nested in three European uranium miner cohorts was performed to study the joint effects of radon exposure and smoking on lung cancer death risk...
- Rapid determination of particle velocity from space-time images using the Radon transformPatrick J Drew
Department of Physics, University of California at San Diego, La Jolla, CA 92093, USA
J Comput Neurosci 29:5-11. 2010..Here we present an alternative method that makes use of the Radon transform to calculate the velocity of streaming particles...
- The effects of geology and the impact of seasonal correction factors on indoor radon levels: a case study approachGavin K Gillmore
Geography and Environmental Science, University of Bradford, West Yorkshire, Bradford, BD7 1DP, UK
J Environ Radioact 84:469-79. 2005Geology has been highlighted by a number of authors as a key factor in high indoor radon levels. In the light of this, this study examines the application of seasonal correction factors to indoor radon concentrations in the UK...
- Canadian individual risks of radon-induced lung cancer for different exposure profilesJing Chen
Radiation Protection Bureau, Health Canada, Ottawa, ON
Can J Public Health 96:360-3. 2005Indoor radon has been determined to be the second leading cause of lung cancer after tobacco smoking...
- Interpretation of atmospheric pollution phenomena in relationship with the vertical atmospheric remixing by means of natural radioactivity measurements (radon) of particulate matterPasquale Avino
DIPIA, Istituto Superiore per la Prevenzione e la Sicurezza del Lavoro, via Urbana 167, 00145 Roma
Ann Chim 93:589-94. 2003....
- Childhood leukemia incidence and exposure to indoor radon, terrestrial and cosmic gamma radiationAnne Sophie Evrard
INSERM U754, 16 Avenue Paul Vaillant Couturier, F 94807 Villejuif Cedex, France
Health Phys 90:569-79. 2006..study was undertaken to evaluate the ecological association between terrestrial and cosmic gamma radiation, indoor radon, and acute leukemia incidence among children under 15 y of age...
- Characteristics of thoron and thoron progeny in Canadian homesJing Chen
Radiation Protection Bureau, Health Canada, 775 Brookfield Road, Ottawa, ON, Canada
Radiat Environ Biophys 50:85-9. 2011Naturally occurring isotopes of radon in indoor air are identified as the second leading cause of lung cancer after tobacco smoking. Radon-222 (radon gas) and radon-220 (thoron gas) are the most common isotopes of radon...
- Environmental radon studies in MexicoN Segovia
Instituto de Geofisica, UNAM, Ciudad Universitaria, Circuito Exterior, C U, Mexico, DF, 04510, Mexico
Environ Geochem Health 29:143-53. 2007b>Radon has been determined in soil, groundwater, and air in Mexico, both indoors and outdoors, as part of geophysical studies and to estimate effective doses as a result of radon exposure...
- Radon mitigation in domestic properties and its health implications--a comparison between during-construction and post-construction radon reductionC J Groves-Kirkby
Medical Physics Department, Northampton General Hospital NHS Trust, Cliftonville, Northampton NN1 5BD, UK
Environ Int 32:435-43. 2006Although United Kingdom (UK) Building Regulations applicable to houses constructed since 1992 in Radon Affected Areas address the health issues arising from the presence of radon in domestic properties and specify the installation of ..
- RadonRandall J Bissett
Northeastern Ontario Regional Cancer Centre, Sudbury, Ontario
Chronic Dis Can 29:38-50. 2010b>Radon is a radioactive gas that emanates from uranium-bearing soil and porous rock...
- Residential radon in Canada: an uncertainty analysis of population and individual lung cancer riskKevin P Brand
McLauglin Centre for Population Health Risk Assessment, Institute of Population Health, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Risk Anal 25:253-69. 2005Following a comprehensive evaluation of the health risks of radon, the U.S. National Research Council (US-NRC) concluded that the radon inside the homes of U.S. residents is an important cause of lung cancer...
- Analysis of radon-associated squamous cell carcinomas of the lung for a p53 gene hotspot mutationQ Yang
Deutsches Krebsforschungszentrum German Cancer Research Center Im Neuenheimer Feld 280, Heidelberg, Germany
Br J Cancer 82:763-6. 2000..suppressor gene codon 249 arg-->met hotspot mutations, a putative molecular bio-dosimeter of alpha-particle (radon) exposure (Taylor et al (1994) Lancet 343: 86-87; McDonald et al (1995) Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prevent 4: 791-..
- Radon therapy for the treatment of rheumatic diseases--review and meta-analysis of controlled clinical trialsAlbrecht Falkenbach
Gasteiner Heilstollen Hospital, 5645, Bad Gastein Böckstein, Austria
Rheumatol Int 25:205-10. 2005The aim of this study was to analyze the effect of radon therapy on pain in rheumatic diseases.
- Lowering the UK domestic radon Action Level to prevent more lung cancers--is it cost-effective?A R Denman
Medical Physics Department, Northampton General Hospital, Northampton, UK
J Radiol Prot 28:61-71. 2008Case studies have shown that radon gas can accumulate within domestic properties at sufficiently high levels that it can cause lung cancer, and recent studies have suggested that this risk remains significant below the UK domestic Action ..
- Biochemical comparison between radon effects and thermal effects on humans in radon hot spring therapyKiyonori Yamaoka
Chair of Medical Radioscience, Okayama University Medical School, Totori, Japan
J Radiat Res 45:83-8. 2004The radioactive and thermal effects of radon hot spring were biochemically compared under a sauna room or hot spring conditions with a similar chemical component, using the parameters that are closely involved in the clinic for radon ..
- Assessment of radioactivity and radon exhalation rate in Egyptian cementS M El-Bahi
Nuclear Physics Laboratory, Faculty of Girls, Ain Shams University, Heliopolis, Cairo, Egypt
Health Phys 86:517-22. 2004..A solid-state nuclear track detector SSNTD (Cr-39) was used to measure the radon concentration as well as exhalation rate for these samples...
- Mutation induction by inhaled radon progeny modeled at the tissue levelBalázs G Madas
Hungarian Academy of Sciences KFKI Atomic Energy Research Institute, Budapest, Hungary
Radiat Environ Biophys 50:553-70. 2011..of radiation manifest at the tissue level by modeling mutation induction due to chronic exposure to inhaled radon progeny...
- The influence of multiple types of occupational exposure to radon, gamma rays and long-lived radionuclides on mortality risk in the French "post-55" sub-cohort of uranium miners: 1956-1999Blandine Vacquier
Institut de Radioprotection et de Surete Nucleaire, DRPH, SRBE, LEPID, Fontenay aux Roses, France
Radiat Res 176:796-806. 2011The adverse health effects of radon on uranium miners, especially on their lungs, are well documented, but few studies have considered the effects of other radiation exposures...
- Radon exposure of the skin: II. Estimation of the attributable risk for skin cancer incidenceM W Charles
School of Physics and Astronomy, University of Birmingham, Edgbaston, Birmingham B15 2TT, UK
J Radiol Prot 27:253-74. 2007..the various factors which form the chain of assumptions that are necessary to support a suggested link between radon exposure and skin cancer in man...
- Residential radon and risk of lung cancer: a combined analysis of 7 North American case-control studiesDaniel Krewski
McLaughlin Centre for Population Health Risk Assessment, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Epidemiology 16:137-45. 2005Underground miners exposed to high levels of radon have an excess risk of lung cancer. Residential exposure to radon is at much lower levels, and the risk of lung cancer with residential exposure is less clear...
- Ecological association between indoor radon concentration and childhood leukaemia incidence in France, 1990-1998A S Evrard
Institut National de la Sante et de la Recherche Medicale, INSERM, U170 IFR69 Paris, 16 Avenue Paul Vaillant Couturier, F 94807 Villejuif Cedex, France
Eur J Cancer Prev 14:147-57. 2005The objective of this study was to evaluate the ecological association between indoor radon concentration and acute leukaemia incidence among children under 15 years of age in the 348 geographical units (zones d'emploi, ZE) of France ..
- First steps towards a European atlas of natural radiation: status of the European indoor radon mapG Dubois
European Commission, DG Joint Research Centre, Institute for Environment and Sustainability Via Fermi 2749, TP 441, 21027 Ispra VA, Italy
J Environ Radioact 101:786-98. 2010..at the Joint Research Centre of the European Commission, started to explore the possibility of mapping indoor radon in European houses as a first step towards preparing a European Atlas of Natural Radiations...
- Comparison of radon lung dosimetry models for the estimation of dose uncertaintiesRenate Winkler-Heil
Division of Physics and Biophysics, Department of Materials Engineering and Physics, University of Salzburg, Hellbrunner Str 34, 5020 Salzburg, Austria
Radiat Prot Dosimetry 127:27-30. 2007..exposure conditions were compared at three different levels: deposition fractions for attached and unattached radon progeny; nuclear transformations, reflecting the combined effect of deposition and clearance; and resulting ..
- Time activity modelling of domestic exposures to radonD J Briggs
Department of Epidemiology and Public Health, Imperial College of Science, Technology and Medicine, London W2 1PG, UK
J Environ Manage 67:107-20. 2003b>Radon gas occurs naturally in the environment with a variable distribution. In some areas radon concentrates sufficiently within the built environment that it is considered as a public health risk...
- The US radon problem, policy, program and industry: achievements, challenges and strategiesW J Angell
Midwest Universities Radon Consortium, College of Design, University of Minnesota, 1985 Buford Avenue DHA MC 6136, St Paul, MN 55108 6136, USA
Radiat Prot Dosimetry 130:8-13. 2008US radon research, policy and programs have stalled since their start in the late 1980s and early 1990s...
- Air-water partitioning of 222Rn and its dependence on water temperature and salinityMichael Schubert
UFZ Helmholtz Centre for Environmental Research, Leipzig, Germany
Environ Sci Technol 46:3905-11. 2012b>Radon is useful as a tracer of certain geophysical processes in marine and aquatic environments. Recent applications include detection of groundwater discharges into surface waters and assessment of air/sea gas piston velocities...
- Equations for modeling of grab samples of radon decay productsPhillip H Jenkins
Radiological Services Division, Bowser Morner, Inc, Dayton, Ohio, USA
Health Phys 83:S48-51. 2002A mathematical model of the process of collecting and analyzing a grab sample of radon decay products in air can be useful for a number ofpurposes...
- Lung cancer in a Czech cohort exposed to radon in dwellings--50 years of follow-upL Tomasek
National Radiation Protection Institute, Prague 4, Bartoskova 28, Czech Republic
Neoplasma 59:559-65. 2012The presented study reports lung cancer mortality in a cohort of 11 842 subjects exposed to high levels of radon covering the period 1961-2010...
- Uncertainties in radon related to house-specific factors and proximity to geological boundaries in EnglandNezahat Hunter
Health Protection Agency, Radiation Protection Division, Chilton, Oxon, UK
Radiat Prot Dosimetry 136:17-22. 2009Data collected as a part of a survey on radon concentrations from about 40 000 dwellings in England for six contrasting geological units were analysed to evaluate the impact of house-specific factors (building characteristics and ..
- The bystander effect in experimental systems and compatibility with radon-induced lung cancer in humansM P Little
Department of Epidemiology and Public Health, Imperial College of Science, Technology and Medicine, London, UK
J Radiol Prot 22:A27-31. 2002..The ratio of lung cancer risk among persons exposed to low and high doses of radon daughters is 2.4-4.0, with an upper 95% confidence limit (CL) of about 14...
- Lorenz Curve and Gini coefficient: novel tools for analysing seasonal variation of environmental radon gasC J Groves-Kirkby
Medical Physics Department, Northampton General Hospital, Northampton, UK
J Environ Manage 90:2480-7. 2009..Gini Coefficient are introduced as tools for investigating and quantifying seasonal variability in environmental radon gas concentration...
- Residential radon and lung cancer risk: an updated meta- analysis of case-control studiesZeng Li Zhang
Department of Health Toxicology, School of Public Health of Soochow University, Suzhou, China
Asian Pac J Cancer Prev 13:2459-65. 2012Numbers of epidemiological studies assessing residential radon exposure and risk of lung cancer have yielded inconsistent results.
- p53 gene mutation analysis in tumors of patients exposed to alpha-particlesM Hollstein
Division of Toxicology and Cancer Risk Factors, Deutsches Krebsforschungszentrum, Heidelberg, Germany
Carcinogenesis 18:511-6. 1997..This mutation has been proposed as a marker of radon exposure. None of the tumors we examined harbored the hotspot mutation...
- Fluorescence molecular tomography with optimal radon transform based surface reconstructionXin Liu
Department of Biomedical Engineering, School of Medicine, Tsinghua University, Beijing 100084, China
Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc 2009:1404-7. 2009..An optimal radon transform based surface reconstruction method is proposed to handle these two factors...
- Environmental radon exposure and childhood leukemiaJian Tong
School of Public Health, Soochow University, Suzhou, China
J Toxicol Environ Health B Crit Rev 15:332-47. 2012Despite the fact that animal and human epidemiological studies confirmed a link between radon exposure in homes and increased risk of lung cancer in general population, other types of cancers induced by radon, such as leukemia, have not ..
- Study on endocronological effects of radon speleotherapy on respiratory diseasesKatalin Nagy
Department of Rheumatology, Markhot Ferenc Hospital, Eger
Int J Radiat Biol 85:281-90. 2009b>Radon, as a radioactive noble gas of natural origin, is generally present in the atmosphere of caves during the speleotherapeutic treatment of different diseases...
- Groundwater radon measurements in the Mt. Etna areaWalter D'Alessandro
Istituto Nazionale di Geofisica e Vulcanologia, Sezione di Palermo, via La Malfa 153, 90146 Palermo, Italy
J Environ Radioact 65:187-201. 2003b>Radon levels were measured in 119 groundwater samples collected throughout the active volcanic area of Mt. Etna by means of a portable Lucas-type scintillation chamber. The measured activity values range from 1.8 to 52.7 Bq l(-1)...
- Radon awareness and reduction campaigns for African Americans: a theoretically based evaluationK Witte
Department of Communication, Michigan State University 48824 1212, USA
Health Educ Behav 25:284-303. 1998b>Radon gas is a significant health threat linked to thousands of preventable deaths each year. One population that may be at increased risk from harm from radon exposure is African Americans...
- Online measurement of unattached and total radon and thoron decay productsOliver Meisenberg
Helmholtz Zentrum Munchen, German Research Center for Environmental Health, Ingolstaedter Landstrasse 1, 85764 Neuherberg, Germany
Appl Radiat Isot 67:843-8. 2009b>Radon and thoron decay products appear in two size modes: unattached and attached to aerosol particles. They deposit at different regions of the human respiratory tract causing different inhalation doses...
- Effect of site-specific bronchial radon progeny deposition on the spatial and temporal distributions of cellular responsesArpad Farkas
Health and Environmental Physics Department, Hungarian Academy of Sciences KFKI Atomic Energy Research Institute, Konkoly Thege M út 29 33, 1121, Budapest, Hungary
Radiat Environ Biophys 50:281-97. 2011Inhaled short-lived radon progenies may deposit in bronchial airways and interact with the epithelium by the emission of alpha particles...
- Radon control systems in existing and new construction: a reviewNaureen Mahbub Rahman
Radiation Protection Bureau, Health Canada, Al 6302D, Ottawa, ON, Canada
Radiat Prot Dosimetry 135:243-55. 2009In support of the implementation of the new Canadian radon guideline, a comprehensive review of radon mitigation techniques used in countries around the world was undertaken, with particular emphasis on North America and Europe that have ..
- Calibration of the direct LSC method for radon in drinking water: Interference from (210)Pb and its progenies accumulated in (226)Ra standard solutionLaina Salonen
Radon Safety, STUK Radiation and Nuclear Safety Authority, P O Box 14, FIN 00881 Helsinki, Finland
Appl Radiat Isot 68:131-8. 2010..The interference from (210) Po was 4% for one of the cocktails if the (226)Ra standard had been purified 5 years earlier. The interferences from (210)Pb and (210)Bi were negligible compared to that of (210)Po...
- Residential radon exposure and lung cancer: variation in risk estimates using alternative exposure scenariosR William Field
Department of Epidemiology, College of Public Health, University of Iowa, Iowa City 52242, USA
J Expo Anal Environ Epidemiol 12:197-203. 2002The most direct way to derive risk estimates for residential radon progeny exposure is through epidemiologic studies that examine the association between residential radon exposure and lung cancer...
- Screening of differential expressive genes in murine cells following radon exposureJian xiang Li
School of Radiation Medicine and Public Health, Medical College of Soochow University, Suzhou, China
J Toxicol Environ Health A 73:499-506. 2010..peripheral blood cells of BALB/c mice and tracheal-bronchial epithelial cells of Wistar rats following exposure to radon inhalation...
- The bystander effect in C3H 10T cells and radon-induced lung cancerM P Little
Department of Epidemiology and Public Health, Imperial College of Science, Technology and Medicine, St Mary s Campus, Norfolk Place, London W2 1PG, United Kingdom
Radiat Res 156:695-9. 2001Little, M. P. and Wakeford, R. The Bystander Effect in C3H 10T(1/2) Cells and Radon-Induced Lung Cancer. Radiat. Res. 156, 695-699 (2001)...
- Groundwater radon, radium and uranium concentrations in Região dos Lagos, Rio de Janeiro State, BrazilR M R Almeida
Department of Civil Engineering, Universidade Federal Fluminense UFF, Rio de Janeiro, RJ, Brazil
J Environ Radioact 73:323-34. 2004..The total annual effective dose for adult due to the water consumption reaches values up to 0.8 mSv...
- Incidence of cytogenetic damage in lead-zinc mine workers exposed to radonMarjan Bilban
Institute of Occupational Safety, SI 1000 Ljubljana, Chengdujska 25, Slovenia
Mutagenesis 20:187-91. 2005..damage in mine workers working in a lead-zinc mine, which could be associated with a combined exposure to radon and heavy metals. Our study involved 70 mine workers from the lead-zinc mine...
- The cost effectiveness of radon mitigation in existing German dwellings--a decision theoretic analysisFlorian Haucke
Helmholtz Zentrum Munchen, German Research Center for Environmental Health GmbH, Institute of Health Economics and Health Care Management, IGM, Ingolstadter Landstr 1, 85764 Neuherberg, Germany
J Environ Manage 91:2263-74. 2010b>Radon is a naturally occurring inert radioactive gas found in soils and rocks that can accumulate in dwellings, and is associated with an increased risk of lung cancer...
- Radon and risk of extrapulmonary cancers: results of the German uranium miners' cohort study, 1960-2003M Kreuzer
Federal Office for Radiation Protection, Department of Radiation Protection and Health, Neuherberg 85764, Germany
Br J Cancer 99:1946-53. 2008Data from the German miners' cohort study were analysed to investigate whether radon in ambient air causes cancers other than lung cancer...
- Accounting for smoking in the radon-related lung cancer risk among German uranium miners: results of a nested case-control studyMaria Schnelzer
Federal Office for Radiation Protection, Department of Radiation Protection and Health, Ingolstaedter Landstr 1, 85764 Oberschleissheim, Germany
Health Phys 98:20-8. 2010The possible confounding effect of smoking on radon-associated risk for lung cancer mortality was investigated in a case-control study nested in the cohort of German uranium miners...
- Estimate of annual average radon concentration in the normal living area from short-term testsJing Chen
Radiation Protection Bureau, 6302D1, Health Canada, 775 Brookfield Road, Ottawa K1A 1C1, Canada
Health Phys 85:740-4. 2003Most residential radon guidelines refer to annual average radon concentration in the normal living area. However, decisions on whether a house needs mitigation are usually based on short term radon tests...
- Modelling radon progeny concentration variations in thermal spasDimitrios Nikolopoulos
Laboratory of Ionising Radiations, Department of Medical Instruments Technology, Technological Educational Institution of Athens, Agiou Spyridonos, Egaleo, 122 10, Athens, Greece
Sci Total Environ 373:82-93. 2007b>Radon and its short-lived progenies (218Po, 214Pb, 214Bi and 214Po) are well known radioactive indoor pollutants identified as the major radiation burden component of the thermal spa users...
- Lung cancer from radon: a two-stage model analysis of the WISMUT Cohort, 1955-1998Teun van Dillen
Laboratory for Radiation Research, National Institute for Public Health and the Environment, RIVM, Bilthoven, The Netherlands
Radiat Res 175:119-30. 2011..only workers who were first employed between 1955 and 1989 and contains information on annual exposures to radon progeny...
- Cytogenetic analyses in peripheral lymphocytes of persons living in houses with increased levels of indoor radon concentrationsU Oestreicher
Federal Office for Radiation Protection, Department of Radiation Protection and Health, Oberschleissheim, Germany
Cytogenet Genome Res 104:232-6. 2004Published data concerning the effects of indoor radon exposure on the frequency of chromosome aberrations in peripheral lymphocytes of residents are contradictory...
- Performance of the first Japanese large-scale facility for radon inhalation experiments with small animalsYuu Ishimori
Ningyo toge Environmental Engineering Center, Japan Atomic Energy Agency, 1550 Kamisaibara, Kagamino cho, Tomata gun, Okayama 708 0698, Japan
Radiat Prot Dosimetry 146:31-3. 2011A radon test facility for small animals was developed in order to increase the statistical validity of differences of the biological response in various radon environments...
- BYSTANDER EFFECTS OF LOW DOSE ALPHA PARTICLESBruce Lehnert; Fiscal Year: 2001The mechanism(s) by which alpha (alpha) particles like those emitted by radon and radon progeny cause cancer are not well understood...
- Genetic and Epigenetic Biomarkers for SCC of the LungSteven A Belinsky; Fiscal Year: 2012..In Aim 3 a nested, case-control study of squamous cell carcinoma (SCC) will be conducted in 1440 radon-exposed uranium miners. Genes identified in Aim 1 to affect DRC will be studied...
- FRESH: Dual Home Screening for Lung Cancer PreventionEllen J Hahn; Fiscal Year: 2013..by applicant): The purposes of this randomized controlled trial are to test the effectiveness of Freedom from Radon Exposure and Smoking in the Home (FRESH), a dual home screening and tailored environmental feedback intervention ..
- RADON, BRONCHIAL MORPHOMETRY, AND OCCUPATIONAL HEALTHDavid Brenner; Fiscal Year: 1993The hazards of occupational exposure to radon daughters relative to environmental exposure is significant both for occupational and environmental health...
- 210 POLONIUM RADIATION AND DITHIOLSH Aposhian; Fiscal Year: 1990210Polonium is a radioactive daughter of radon. It is an alpha emitter and thus hazardous if allowed to enter the body. For man, inhalation and ingestion are the major portals of entry...
- BIOLOGICALLY BASED CANCER RISK ASSESSMENT FOR MIXTURESE Luebeck; Fiscal Year: 2001..Uranium Miners cohort, with detailed individual information on joint exposure to cigarette smoking and exposure to radon; the Chinese Tin Miners data set, with detailed individual information on three lung carcinogens: tobacco smoke, ..
- Independent Scientist Award for Radiation ResearchDAVID GUY KIRSCH; Fiscal Year: 2013..Radiation exposure can occur from medical imaging and therapy, natural background radiation from cosmic rays or radon, and intentional exposure through radiation bioterrorism...
- ACTIVITY-WEIGHTED PARTICLE SIZE DISTRIBUTION SAMPLERHARVEL WRIGHT; Fiscal Year: 1993..of the alpha activity weighted particle size distributions in indoor environments composed primarily of radon decay progeny is proposed...
- CANCER INCIDENCE IN URANIUM MINERS EXPOSED TO RADONRadim Sram; Fiscal Year: 1999Studies of miners exposed to radon have consistently shown that the miners are at increased risk of lung cancer death, and that the risk increases with dose of radiation...
- MEASUREMENT ERRORS IN OCCUPATIONAL EPIDEMIOLOGYDonna Spiegelman; Fiscal Year: 1993..The New Mexico uranium miners study is also a retrospective design, investigating the relationship between radon decay products and lung cancer risk by following 3,469 miners...
- HIGH LET RADIATION & GENOMIC INSTABILITY IN HUMAN CELLSAmy Kronenberg; Fiscal Year: 2001..The results obtained with low fluence iron-ion exposures will serve as a model for terrestrial exposures to radon and neutrons.
- Radon and Health: Evidence, Policy and PoliticsJonathan Samet; Fiscal Year: 2002b>Radon, a naturally occurring and ubiquitous respiratory carcinogen, has been a focus for public health research and policy debate for nearly a century...
- RADON PROGENY LUNG DOSE MONITORHARVEL WRIGHT; Fiscal Year: 1991The development of an instrument for the direct measurement of lung dose resulting from exposure to indoor radon is proposed...
- Cone-Beam Methods for Dynamic Volumetric X-Ray CTGe Wang; Fiscal Year: 2007..Grangeat-type half-scan algorithms for long object reconstruction by correcting cone-beam data, and transform the Radon space based reconstruction into the filtered backprojection format; (3) modify Katsevich-type algorithms for ..
- Systems Level Understanding of DNA Damage ResponsesThomas Begley; Fiscal Year: 2009..physical damaging agents found in our natural environment, which include ionizing radiation associated with radon gas and UV radiation associated with sunburns are also major sources of exposure that can cause DNA damage and ..
- STUDY OF RADON LEVELS, CIGARETTE SMOKING AND CANCERJOSEPH LYON; Fiscal Year: 1993Recent surveys indicate that between 10 and 20 percent of homes in the United States have indoor radon levels that exceed EPA's guideline level for remedial action...
- NEW ALGORITHMS FOR HIGH RESOLUTION EITDAVID MACENANY; Fiscal Year: 1992..between the inverse problem of EIT and that of CT/MRI and proposed the use of filtered backprojection of the Radon Transform. This advance resulted in the first commercially marketed EIT systems...
- CARCINOGENIC IMPACT OF RADON IN WATER SUPPLIESHOWARD PRICHARD; Fiscal Year: 1980..radiation carcinogenesis using health effects data from communities with populations exposed to varying levels of Radon-222 in the water supplies. To accomplish this goal, two sub-projects must be carried out concurrently: 1...
- Lung Cancer Model: Risk, Progression and InterventionMarek Kimmel; Fiscal Year: 2009..g., dietary), removal of exposures (ETS, asbestos, radon). Aim 2...
- RSH SPECT--A ROTATING SLANT-HOLE SPECT SCANNERRolf Clackdoyle; Fiscal Year: 2001..Theoretical foundations for the RSlat system will be based on three-dimensional Radon transform theory.
- RADON PROGENY AND RISK OF LUNG CANCERJOSEPH LYON; Fiscal Year: 1992We propose to investigate the relationship between indoor radon exposure and lung cancer using 350 non-smoking histologically confirmed lung cancer cases and 700 age/sex/smoking history matched controls selected by random-digit-dialing ..
- COST-EFFECTIVENESS OF RADON CONTROL IN PREVENTING CANCERKenneth Warner; Fiscal Year: 1993..this research is to evaluate the costs and health benefits (in terms of reduced cancer mortality) of alternative radon reduction strategies, and to compare the cost-effectiveness of radon control with that of programs intended to ..
- STATE OF THE ART RADON DETECTION SYSTEMPETER DIAMONDIS; Fiscal Year: 1991DESCRIPTION (Adapted from the Applicant's Abstract): Improved instrumentation in detecting and measuring radon concentrations is needed now to reduce the risk of radon-induced lung cancer for residents in an estimated 6-9 million United ..
- Metastasis Competent Genes in Lung CancerAlan Lader; Fiscal Year: 2003..Along with tobacco use, exposure to radon, occupational exposures, exposure to asbestos, diet and family history all contribute to an increase in the risk ..
- EPIDEMIOLOGY OF LUNG CANCER IN NON-SMOKING WOMENHEATHER STOCKWELL; Fiscal Year: 1991..to the study include exposure to sidestream smoke at home, at the worksite and elsewhere, exposure to indoor radon in current and previous Florida homes, occupational exposures to lung carcinogens and a family history of lung ..
- LUNG CANCER IN NONSMOKING WOMENPelayo Correa; Fiscal Year: 1991..These analyses are performed to validate the subject's reported status with respect to recent smoking habits. Radon monitors are also placed in the home for 48 hours in order to determine the residential level of radon gas...
- OCCUPATIONAL SAFETY AND HEALTH TRAINING FOR TELEWORKERSSusan Harrington; Fiscal Year: 2001..Topics will include office ergonomics, fire safety, electrical safety, indoor air quality/radon, and falls/tripping. The program will be delivered in CD-ROM and web-based formats...
- A Pb-212 Generator Using Resistant Substrate and Rn Cold TrappingGARY EHRHARDT; Fiscal Year: 2009..The proposed work will investigate a generator system that would trap the short-lived radon-220 and isolate and test Pb-212/Bi-212 obtained...
- LUNG CANCER & HIGH LEVELS OF INDOOR RADONZuoyuan Wang; Fiscal Year: 1999This project will assess whether exposure to indoor radon concentrations pose a demonstrable health risk; whether lung cancer risk due to radon exposure is similar in males and females; and whether exposure to tobacco smoke or to other ..
- OCCUPATIONAL SAFETY AND HEALTH TRAINING FOR TELEWORKERSSusan Harrington; Fiscal Year: 2004..Phase II will expand the research to include the development of modules on fire safety, electrical safety, radon, and falls/tripping. HSA will conduct a national field test and follow-up study...
- IOWA AND MISSOURI RADON LUNG CANCER STUDIESR Field; Fiscal Year: 2007Risk estimates, extrapolated from studies of underground miners, predict that residential radon progeny exposure accounts for approximately 19,000 lung cancer deaths each year in the United States...
- EPIDEMIOLOGIC STUDY OF STRESS IN PREGNANCYMaureen Hatch; Fiscal Year: 1991..Island); the other not; and both equally exposed to perceived threats from other environmental hazards such as radon. The study is well-launched, with all procedures fully operational...
- Genetic Consequences of Therapies for CancerJohn Boice; Fiscal Year: 2009..abstract_text> ..
- Cancer Risks Attributable To Radiation from Pediatric CTDavid Brenner; Fiscal Year: 2006..The target audiences will be radiologists, pediatricians, family physicians, and the CT industry. We will use telephone interviews supplemented with survey questions, to aid in web content decisions. ..
- High Stability Accelerator for Sub-Cellular MicrobeamDavid Brenner; Fiscal Year: 2003..We have considerably more demand for microbeam time than we can cope with, primarily because of limited physicist manpower. ..
- RADIOLOGICAL RESEARCH ACCELERATOR FACILITY (RARAF)David Brenner; Fiscal Year: 2002..abstract_text> ..
- Language, Literacy, Culture: Communication of Health ConceptsDOUGLAS BRUGGE; Fiscal Year: 2006....
- Data Coordinating Center for Sleep Heart HealthMarie Diener West; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- DNA Repair, Skin Cancer and Overall Cancer RiskAnthony Alberg; Fiscal Year: 2009..Translation of the expected results will lead to better identification of at risk populations who should be considered for prevention interventions. ..
- Molecular Genetics of Cadmium ToxicityDaniel W Nebert; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Modeling the Impact and Costs of Radon Policy for Lung Cancer ControlDavid Mendez; Fiscal Year: 2008..However, exposure to radon-an odorless radioactive gas that can become trapped in homes-is considered the second leading cause of lung cancer...
- Epidemiology & Intervention Research for Tobacco ControlJonathan Samet; Fiscal Year: 2006..Additional projects will be developed by research associates and supported with funds from this grant. Our partner institutions are well positioned to sustain this project. ..
- MARKERS FOR LUNG CARCINOGENESIS IN BRONCHIAL EPITHELIUMSteven Belinsky; Fiscal Year: 2001..f., simply markers of exposure) and help identify genetic alterations that are candidate markers of respiratory carcinogenesis. ..
- CASE CONTROL STUDY OF RISK FACTORS FOR WILMS TUMORAndrew Olshan; Fiscal Year: 2002..This study will provide important new advances in our understanding of Wilms tumor given the study size, quality of exposure assessment, and incorporation of clinical and biological markers of etiologic heterogeneity. ..
- GENOTOXICITY IN CYP1A2 DEFICIENT TRANSGENIC MICEDaniel Nebert; Fiscal Year: 2002..S. population. ..
- PREVENTIVE ONCOLOGY ACADEMIC AWARDAnthony Alberg; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- USING RANDOM RISK TO MOTIVATE SMOKING REDUCTIONEdward Lichtenstein; Fiscal Year: 2002b>Radon is the leading cause of lung cancer after smoking, killing 7,000-30,000 people annually. The combination of radon exposure and smoking produces a synergy that markedly raises the risk of mortality...
- CYP1A1 GENE AND ENVIRONMENTAL TOXICITYDaniel Nebert; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- MECHANISMS OF ARSENIC CARCINOGENESISTOM HEI; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- Mapping the Cortical Connectivity of Macaque With MRIDavid Tuch; Fiscal Year: 2005..We will then apply the optimized diffusion imaging method to test a series of hypotheses on the cortical connectivity of macaque visual system. ..
- Gene Environment Interaction in Head and Neck CancerAndrew Olshan; Fiscal Year: 2005..The proposed study should contribute knowledge on gene-environment interactions for cancer of the head and neck, but also for other tobacco- and alcohol-related cancers and possibly cancers of unknown etiology. ..
- Pathways from Childhood Personality Traits to Midlife Metabolic SyndromeSarah Hampson; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..