Genomes and Genes
Summary: A noble gas with the atomic symbol Xe, atomic number 54, and atomic weight 131.30. It is found in the earth's atmosphere and has been used as an anesthetic.
Publications297 found, 100 shown here
- The neuroprotective effect of xenon administration during transient middle cerebral artery occlusion in miceH Mayumi Homi
Department of Anesthesiology Multidisciplinary Neuroprotection Laboratories, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina, USA
Anesthesiology 99:876-81. 2003b>Xenon has been shown to be neuroprotective in several models of in vitro and in vivo neuronal injury. However, its putative neuroprotective properties have not been evaluated in focal cerebral ischemia...
- A closed-circuit neonatal xenon delivery system: a technical and practical neuroprotection feasibility study in newborn pigsEla Chakkarapani
Department of Clinical Sciences at South Bristol, Universityof Bristol, Bristol, United Kingdom
Anesth Analg 109:451-60. 2009..Hypothermia (HT) benefits newborns post-HI and is rapidly entering clinical use. Xenon (Xe), a scarce and expensive anesthetic, combined with HT markedly increases neuroprotection in small animal HI ..
- Hyperpolarized Xenon-129 gas-exchange imaging of lung microstructure: first case studies in subjects with obstructive lung diseaseIsabel Dregely
Department of Physics, University of New Hampshire, Durham, New Hampshire 03824, USA
J Magn Reson Imaging 33:1052-62. 2011..To develop and test a method to noninvasively assess the functional lung microstructure...
- Xenon preconditioning protects against renal ischemic-reperfusion injury via HIF-1alpha activationDaqing Ma
Department of Anaesthetics, Pain Medicine and Intensive Care, Faculty of Medicine, Imperial College London, Chelsea and Westminster Campus, 369 Fulham Road, London SW10 9NH, United Kingdom
J Am Soc Nephrol 20:713-20. 2009..Here, we show that preconditioning with the anesthetic gas xenon activates hypoxia-inducible factor 1alpha (HIF-1alpha) and its downstream effectors erythropoietin and vascular ..
- Analysis of substrate access to active sites in bacterial multicomponent monooxygenase hydroxylases: X-ray crystal structure of xenon-pressurized phenol hydroxylase from Pseudomonas sp. OX1Michael S McCormick
Department of Chemistry, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02139, United States
Biochemistry 50:11058-69. 2011..as a potential route for transport of dioxygen to the active site by crystallographic characterization of a xenon-pressurized sample of the hydroxylase component of phenol hydroxylase from Pseudomonas sp. OX1...
- Functionalized xenon as a biosensorM M Spence
Department of Chemistry, University of California, Berkeley, CA 94720, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 98:10654-7. 2001..We have developed an NMR-based xenon biosensor that capitalizes on the enhanced signal-to-noise, spectral simplicity, and chemical-shift sensitivity of ..
- The protective profile of argon, helium, and xenon in a model of neonatal asphyxia in ratsLei Zhuang
Department of Anesthesiology, Rui Jin Hospital, Shanghai Jiao Tong University School of Medicine, Shanghai, China
Crit Care Med 40:1724-30. 2012b>Xenon provides neuroprotection in multiple animal models; however, little is known about the other noble gases. The aim of the current study was to compare xenon, argon, and helium neuroprotection in a neonatal asphyxia model in rats.
- The noble gas xenon induces pharmacological preconditioning in the rat heart in vivo via induction of PKC-epsilon and p38 MAPKNina C Weber
Department of Anesthesiology, University Hospital of Dusseldorf, Moorenstrasse 5, 40225 Dusseldorf, Germany
Br J Pharmacol 144:123-32. 2005b>Xenon is an anesthetic with minimal hemodynamic side effects, making it an ideal agent for cardiocompromised patients...
- The neuroprotective effects of xenon and helium in an in vitro model of traumatic brain injuryMark Coburn
Biophysics Section, Blackett Laboratory, Imperial College, South Kensington, London SW7 2AZ, UK
Crit Care Med 36:588-95. 2008The "inert" gas xenon has been shown to be an effective neuroprotectant in a variety of in vitro and in vivo models of neuronal injury. We examined its neuroprotective properties in an in vitro model of traumatic brain injury.
- Xenon preconditioning confers neuroprotection regardless of gender in a mouse model of transient middle cerebral artery occlusionV Limatola
Department of Anaesthetics, Pain Medicine and Intensive Care, Imperial College London, Chelsea and Westminster Hospital, London, UK
Neuroscience 165:874-81. 2010b>Xenon preconditioning induces tolerance to the consequences of an injurious stimulus such as cerebral ischaemia...
- Xenon ventilation CT using dual-source and dual-energy technique in children with bronchiolitis obliterans: correlation of xenon and CT density values with pulmonary function test resultsHyun Woo Goo
Department of Radiology and Research Institute of Radiology, Asan Medical Center, University of Ulsan College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
Pediatr Radiol 40:1490-7. 2010b>Xenon ventilation CT using dual-source and dual-energy technique is a recently introduced, promising functional lung imaging method...
- Xenon ventilation CT with a dual-energy technique of dual-source CT: initial experienceEun Jin Chae
Department of Radiology and Research Institute of Radiology, University of Ulsan College of Medicine, Asan Medical Center, Songpa Gu, Seoul, Korea
Radiology 248:615-24. 2008Institutional review board approval and written informed consent were obtained. Although xenon (Xe) ventilation CT has been introduced as a potential method with which to depict regional ventilation, quantification of Xe enhancement has ..
- Xenon preconditioning reduces brain damage from neonatal asphyxia in ratsDaqing Ma
Department of Anaesthetics, Intensive Care and Pain Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Imperial College London, Chelsea and Westminster Hospital, London, UK
J Cereb Blood Flow Metab 26:199-208. 2006b>Xenon attenuates on-going neuronal injury in both in vitro and in vivo models of hypoxic-ischaemic injury when administered during and after the insult...
- Xenon attenuates cardiopulmonary bypass-induced neurologic and neurocognitive dysfunction in the ratDaqing Ma
Department of Anesthetics, Imperial College of Science, Technology and Medicine, London, United Kingdom
Anesthesiology 98:690-8. 2003..of cardiopulmonary bypass (CPB)-associated brain injury, the current study was designed to determine whether xenon, an N-methyl-D-aspartate receptor antagonist, would attenuate CPB-induced neurologic and neurocognitive ..
- Two-pore-domain K+ channels are a novel target for the anesthetic gases xenon, nitrous oxide, and cyclopropaneMarco Gruss
Biophysics Section, Department of Biological Sciences, The Blackett Laboratory, Imperial College London, London, United Kingdom
Mol Pharmacol 65:443-52. 2004Nitrous oxide, xenon, and cyclopropane are anesthetic gases that have a distinct pharmacological profile...
- Xenon administration during early reperfusion reduces infarct size after regional ischemia in the rabbit heart in vivoB Preckel
Institut für Klinische Anaesthesiologie and Institut für Herz und Kreislauf Physiologie, Heinrich Heine Universitat Dusseldorf, Germany
Anesth Analg 91:1327-32. 2000The noble gas xenon can be used as an anesthetic gas with many of the properties of the ideal anesthetic. Other volatile anesthetics protect myocardial tissue against reperfusion injury...
- Probing lung physiology with xenon polarization transfer contrast (XTC)K Ruppert
Department of Radiology, University of Virginia School of Medicine, Charlottesville, Virginia 22908, USA
Magn Reson Med 44:349-57. 2000..So far, this goal has remained elusive, mainly due to the low concentration of xenon that dissolves in tissue...
- Xenon augmented hypothermia reduces early lactate/N-acetylaspartate and cell death in perinatal asphyxiaStuart Faulkner
Institute for Women s Health, University College London, London, UK
Ann Neurol 70:133-50. 2011..We assessed neuroprotective effects of combining inhaled xenon with therapeutic hypothermia after transient cerebral hypoxia-ischemia in a piglet model of perinatal asphyxia ..
- Competition with xenon elicits ligand migration and escape pathways in myoglobinCatherine Tetreau
Institut Curie Recherche INSERM U350, Centre Universitaire, 91405 Orsay, France
Biophys J 86:435-47. 2004Evidence for ligand migration toward the xenon-binding cavities in myoglobin comes from a number of laser photolysis studies of MbO2 including mutants and from cryo- and time-resolved crystallography of MbCO...
- The effect of xenon on isoflurane protection against experimental myocardial infarctionJan H Baumert
Department of Anesthesiology, University Clinic, Aachen, Germany
J Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth 23:614-8. 2009To investigate if the protective effects of xenon and isoflurane against myocardial ischemia-reperfusion damage would be additive.
- Collateral ventilation to congenital hyperlucent lung lesions assessed on xenon-enhanced dynamic dual-energy CT: an initial experienceHyun Woo Goo
Department of Radiology and Research Institute of Radiology, Asan Medical Center, University of Ulsan College of Medicine, Seoul 138 736, Korea
Korean J Radiol 12:25-33. 2011We wanted to evaluate the resistance to collateral ventilation in congenital hyperlucent lung lesions and to correlate that with the anatomic findings on xenon-enhanced dynamic dual-energy CT.
- Stability of xenon oxides at high pressuresQiang Zhu
Department of Geosciences, Department of Physics and Astronomy, Stony Brook University, Stony Brook, New York 11794 2100, USA
Nat Chem 5:61-5. 2013b>Xenon, which is quite inert under ambient conditions, may become reactive under pressure...
- Xenon improves recovery from myocardial stunning in chronically instrumented dogsMaike A Grosse Hartlage
Universitatsklinikum Munster, Klinik und Poliklinik für Anästhesiologie und operative Intensivmedizin, Albert Schweitzer Strasse 33, 48149 Munster, Germany
Anesth Analg 99:655-64, table of contents. 2004In this study we tested the hypothesis that inhalational administration of xenon improves recovery from myocardial stunning...
- Registration-based estimates of local lung tissue expansion compared to xenon CT measures of specific ventilationJoseph M Reinhardt
Department of Biomedical Engineering, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA 52242, USA
Med Image Anal 12:752-63. 2008..We compare the ventral-dorsal patterns of lung expansion estimated across five pressure changes to a xenon CT based measure of specific ventilation in five anesthetized sheep studied in the supine orientation...
- Perspectives of hyperpolarized noble gas MRI beyond 3HeDavid M L Lilburn
University of Nottingham, School of Clinical Sciences, Sir Peter Mansfield Magnetic Resonance Centre, Nottingham NG7 2RD, United Kingdom
J Magn Reson 229:173-86. 2013..In addition, the prospects for surface sensitive contrast with hp (83)Kr MRI is discussed...
- Mapping protein matrix cavities in human cytoglobin through Xe atom bindingDaniele de Sanctis
Department of Physics INFM and Centre for Excellence in Biomedical Research, University of Genova, Via Dodecaneso 33, Genoa I 16146, Italy
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 316:1217-21. 2004..mutant bearing the CysB2(38) --> Ser and CysE9(83) --> Ser substitutions (CYGB*), treated under pressurized xenon. Three Xe atoms bind to the heme distal site region of CYGB* mapping the protein matrix apolar cavity...
- Xenon and isoflurane differentially modulate lipopolysaccharide-induced activation of the nuclear transcription factor KB and production of tumor necrosis factor-alpha and interleukin-6 in monocytesLothar W de Rossi
Department of Anesthesiology, University Hospital, Rheinisch Westfälische Technische Hochschule Aachen, Germany
Anesth Analg 98:1007-12, table of contents. 2004..In this study, we investigated the effect of xenon and isoflurane on the lipopolysaccharide (LPS)-induced activation of the nuclear transcription factor (NF)-kappaB ..
- Xenon and sevoflurane provide analgesia during labor and fetal brain protection in a perinatal rat model of hypoxia-ischemiaTing Yang
Anesthetics, Pain Medicine and Intensive Care, Department of Surgery and Cancer, Imperial College London, Chelsea and Westminster Hospital, London, United Kingdom
PLoS ONE 7:e37020. 2012..agents with presumptive analgesic activity and known preconditioning-neuroprotective properties (sevoflurane or xenon), in reducing hypoxia-induced brain damage in a model of intrauterine perinatal asphyxia...
- Pressure-induced bonding and compound formation in xenon-hydrogen solidsMaddury Somayazulu
Geophysical Laboratory, Carnegie Institution of Washington, Washington DC, USA
Nat Chem 2:50-3. 2010..unique hydrogen-rich structure forms that can be viewed as a tripled solid hydrogen lattice modulated by layers of xenon, consisting of xenon dimers...
- A xenon recirculating ventilator for the newborn piglet: developing clinical applications of xenon for neonatesStuart D Faulkner
Institute for Women s Health, University College London, London, UK
Eur J Anaesthesiol 29:577-85. 2012The clinical applications of xenon for the neonate include both anaesthesia and neuroprotection...
- Neuronal preconditioning by inhalational anesthetics: evidence for the role of plasmalemmal adenosine triphosphate-sensitive potassium channelsCarsten Bantel
Department of Anaesthetics, Pain Medicine and Intensive Care, Chelsea and Westminster Hospital, Imperial College London, London, UK
Anesthesiology 110:986-95. 2009..Here, the authors explore the neuronal preconditioning effect of modern inhalational anesthetics and investigate their effects on K(ATP) channels...
- Xenon attenuates hippocampal long-term potentiation by diminishing synaptic and extrasynaptic N-methyl-D-aspartate receptor currentsStephan Kratzer
Department of Anesthesiology, Klinikum rechts der Isar, Technische Universitat Munchen, Munich, Germany
Anesthesiology 116:673-82. 2012..The inhalational anesthetic xenon antagonizes N-methyl-D-aspartate (NMDA) receptors...
- Postconditioning by xenon and hypothermia in the rat heart in vivoChristian Schwiebert
Department of Anaesthesiology, University of Amsterdam, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Eur J Anaesthesiol 27:734-9. 2010..Combining mild hypothermia with low-dose xenon, applied either simultaneously or one after the other, protects the neonatal rat brain against reperfusion injury...
- Simultaneous measurement of regional cerebral blood flow by perfusion CT and stable xenon CT: a validation studyM Wintermark
Department of Diagnostic and Interventional Radiology, University Hospital, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, CHUV-BH10, 1011 Lausanne, Switzerland
AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 22:905-14. 2001..of this study was to validate perfusion CT studies of CBF by comparison with the results provided by stable xenon CT, which have been reported to be accurate, and to evaluate acquisition and processing modalities of CT data, ..
- Hyperpolarizing gases via dynamic nuclear polarization and sublimationA Comment
Laboratory for Functional and Metabolic Imaging, Ecole Polytechnique Federale de Lausanne, CH 1015 Lausanne, Switzerland
Phys Rev Lett 105:018104. 2010..It is illustrated by applications to 129Xe nuclear magnetic resonance in xenon gas, leading to a signal enhancement of 3 to 4 orders of magnitude compared to the room-temperature thermal ..
- Measurement of rubidium and xenon absolute polarization at high temperatures as a means of improved production of hyperpolarized (129)XeN J Shah
Institute of Medicine, Research Centre Julich, 52428 Jülich
NMR Biomed 13:214-9. 2000We report on a rubidium-xenon (Rb-Xe) polarization unit for the continuous production of large quantities of hyperpolarized (129)Xe...
- Acute hypoperfusion immediately after subarachnoid hemorrhage: a xenon contrast-enhanced CT studyGerrit Alexander Schubert
Department of Neurosurgery, Universitatsmedizin Mannheim, University of Heidelberg, Mannheim, Germany
J Neurotrauma 26:2225-31. 2009..b>Xenon contrast-enhanced CT scanning was performed in 17 patients (Hunt and Hess grade [HH] 1-3, n = 9; HH 4-5, n = 8) ..
- Cerebrovascular reserve in patients with carotid occlusive disease assessed by stable xenon-enhanced ct cerebral blood flow and transcranial DopplerR R Pindzola
Department of Neurological Surgery, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
Stroke 32:1811-7. 2001..A direct comparison of CVR measurements obtained with both technologies in patients with cerebrovascular occlusive disease is lacking...
- Xenon pretreatment may prevent early memory decline after isoflurane anesthesia and surgery in miceMarcela P Vizcaychipi
Anaesthetics, Pain Medicine and Intensive Care, Department of Surgery and Cancer, Imperial College London, Chelsea and Westminster Hospital, London, United Kingdom
PLoS ONE 6:e26394. 2011..We hypothesized that xenon pretreatment prevents POCD by suppressing the systemic inflammatory response or through an associated protective ..
- Xenon does not affect human platelet function in vitroL W de Rossi
Department of Anesthesiology, University Hospital, Rheinisch Westfälische Technische Hochschule Aachen, Aachen, Germany
Anesth Analg 93:635-40. 2001We sought to determine whether xenon affects platelet glycoprotein expression and platelet-related hemostasis in vitro at a clinically relevant concentration...
- Xenon provides faster emergence from anesthesia than does nitrous oxide-sevoflurane or nitrous oxide-isofluraneT Goto
Department of Anesthesia, Teikyo University, School of Medicine, Ichihara Hospital, Chiba, Japan
Anesthesiology 86:1273-8. 1997b>Xenon, an inert gas with anesthetic properties (minimum alveolar concentration [MAC] = 71%), has an extremely low blood:gas partition coefficient (0.14)...
- Xenon and hypothermia combine to provide neuroprotection from neonatal asphyxiaDaqing Ma
Department of Anaesthetics and Intensive Care, Faculty of Medicine, Imperial College London, London, United Kingdom
Ann Neurol 58:182-93. 2005..We have investigated whether xenon, an antagonist of the N-methyl-D-aspartate subtype of the glutamate receptor, can enhance the neuroprotection ..
- Xenon induces late cardiac preconditioning in vivo: a role for cyclooxygenase 2?Nina C Weber
Laboratory of Experimental Intensive Care and Anesthesiology, Academic Medical Center, University of Amsterdam, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Anesth Analg 107:1807-13. 2008b>Xenon induces early myocardial preconditioning of the rat heart in vivo, but whether xenon induces late cardioprotection is not known...
- Effects of xenon on in vitro and in vivo models of neuronal injuryStefan Wilhelm
Chelsea and Westminster Hospital, London, United Kingdom
Anesthesiology 96:1485-91. 2002b>Xenon, the "inert" gaseous anesthetic, is an antagonist at the N-methyl-D-aspartate (NMDA)-type glutamate receptor...
- Effects of xenon anaesthesia on intestinal oxygenation in acutely instrumented pigsD A Vagts
Klinik und Poliklinik für Anästhesiologie und Intensivtherapie, Universitat Rostock, Schillingallee 35, D 18055 Rostock, Germany
Br J Anaesth 93:833-41. 2004b>Xenon is a narcotic gas that might be able to replace volatile anaesthetics or nitrous oxide due to its favourable pharmacological properties, such as providing haemodynamic stability...
- Collateral ventilation in a canine model with bronchial obstruction: assessment with xenon-enhanced dual-energy CTEun Jin Chae
Department of Radiology and Research Institute of Radiology, University of Ulsan College of Medicine, Asan Medical Center, 388 1 Poongnap dong, Songpa Gu, Seoul 138 736, Korea
Radiology 255:790-8. 2010To determine the feasibility of the use of xenon-enhanced dynamic dual-energy computed tomography (CT) for visualization and quantitative assessment of collateral ventilation in a canine model with bronchial obstruction.
- Xenon ventilation CT using a dual-source dual-energy technique: dynamic ventilation abnormality in a child with bronchial atresiaHyun Woo Goo
Department of Radiology and Research Institute of Radiology, Asan Medical Center, University of Ulsan College of Medicine, 388 1 Poongnap 2 dong, Songpa Gu, Seoul, 138 736, South Korea
Pediatr Radiol 38:1113-6. 2008b>Xenon ventilation CT using a dual-source dual-energy technique is a promising functional imaging method for the lung...
- Xenon ventilation imaging using dual-energy computed tomography in asthmatics: initial experienceEun Jin Chae
Department of Radiology and Research Institute of Radiology, University of Ulsan College of Medicine, Asan Medical Center, Seoul, Korea
Invest Radiol 45:354-61. 2010To assess the feasibility of xenon ventilation computed tomography (CT) for evaluating ventilation abnormality in asthmatics.
- Potential of xenon to induce or to protect against neuroapoptosis in the developing mouse brainDavide Cattano
Department of Anestesiology, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
Can J Anaesth 55:429-36. 2008..In contrast, there is evidence that the rare gas, xenon, which has anesthetic properties, protects against isoflurane-induced neuroapoptosis in the infant rat brain, ..
- Positron emission tomography study of regional cerebral metabolism during general anesthesia with xenon in humansSteffen Rex
Department of Anesthesiology, University Hospital, RWTH Aachen, Aachen, Germany
Anesthesiology 105:936-43. 2006The precise mechanism by which the gaseous anesthetic xenon exerts its effects in the human brain remains unknown...
- Xenon preconditioning: the role of prosurvival signaling, mitochondrial permeability transition and bioenergetics in ratsYasushi Mio
Department of Anesthesiology, Medical College of Wisconsin, 8701 Watertown Plank Rd, Milwaukee, WI 53226, USA
Anesth Analg 108:858-66. 2009Similar to volatile anesthetics, the anesthetic noble gas xenon protects the heart from ischemia/reperfusion injury, but the mechanisms responsible for this phenomenon are not fully understood...
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: quantitative and visual ventilation pattern analysis at xenon ventilation CT performed by using a dual-energy techniqueEun Ah Park
Department of Radiology, Interdisciplinary Program in Radiation Applied Life Science, Healthcare Gangnam Center, Seoul National University Hospital, Seoul National University College of Medicine, Seoul 110 744, Korea
Radiology 256:985-97. 2010To evaluate the potential of xenon ventilation computed tomography (CT) in the quantitative and visual analysis of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD).
- Xenon pretreatment attenuates anesthetic-induced apoptosis in the developing brain in comparison with nitrous oxide and hypoxiaYi Shu
Division of Surgery, Department of Surgery, Imperial College London, London, United Kingdom
Anesthesiology 113:360-8. 2010..Preconditioning (pretreatment) can reduce tissue injury caused by a severe insult; the authors investigated whether pretreatment strategies can protect the developing brain from anesthetic-induced neurotoxicity...
- Xenon and sevoflurane protect against brain injury in a neonatal asphyxia modelYan Luo
Department of Anaesthetics, Pain Medicine and Intensive Care, Faculty of Medicine, Imperial College London, Chelsea and Westminster Hospital, London, UK
Anesthesiology 109:782-9. 2008Perinatal hypoxia-ischemia causes significant morbidity and mortality. Xenon and sevoflurane may be used as inhalational analgesics for labor...
- Competitive inhibition at the glycine site of the N-methyl-D-aspartate receptor mediates xenon neuroprotection against hypoxia-ischemiaPaul Banks
Biophysics Section, Blackett Laboratory, Department of Anaesthetics, Pain Medicine and Intensive Care, Imperial College London, London SW7 2AZ, United Kingdom
Anesthesiology 112:614-22. 2010The general anesthetic gas xenon is neuroprotective and is undergoing clinical trials as a treatment for ischemic brain injury...
- Neuroprotective effects of xenon: a therapeutic window of opportunity in rats subjected to transient cerebral ischemiaHelene N David
NNOXe Pharmaceuticals, Quebec, Quebec, Canada
FASEB J 22:1275-86. 2008..A series of previous investigations has shown that the noble and anesthetic gas xenon, which has low-affinity antagonistic properties at the N-methyl-D-aspartate (NMDA) receptor, also exhibits ..
- Xenon: no stranger to anaesthesiaR D Sanders
Department of Anaesthetics and Intensive Care, Faculty of Medicine, Imperial College London, UK
Br J Anaesth 91:709-17. 2003
- Randomized controlled trial of the haemodynamic and recovery effects of xenon or propofol anaesthesiaM Coburn
Department of Anaesthesiology, University Hospital of the RWTH Aachen, Pauwelsstrasse 30, D 52074 Aachen, Germany
Br J Anaesth 94:198-202. 2005There is limited clinical experience with xenon in a large number of patients. We present intra- and postoperative haemodynamic and recovery data comparing xenon and total intravenous anaesthesia with propofol.
- Xenon reduces neurohistopathological damage and improves the early neurological deficit after cardiac arrest in pigsMichael Fries
Department of Anesthesiology, University Hospital RWTH Aachen, Aachen, Germany
Crit Care Med 36:2420-6. 2008..Treatment options to ameliorate brain damage following cardiopulmonary resuscitation from cardiac arrest are limited...
- Neuroprotective and neurotoxic properties of the 'inert' gas, xenonD Ma
Magill Department of Anaesthesia, Chelsea and Westminster Hospital and Biophysics Group, The Blackett Laboratory, Imperial College of Science, Technology and Medicine, London, UK
Br J Anaesth 89:739-46. 2002..product of an immediate early gene, as a marker of neuronal injury to compare the neuroprotective effects of xenon and the neurotoxic properties of xenon, nitrous oxide, and ketamine, three anaesthetics with NMDA receptor ..
- Prevention of neurotoxicity in hypoxic cortical neurons by the noble gas xenonChristian Petzelt
University Hospital Charite, Clinic for Anesthesiology and Intensive Care, Experimental Anesthesiology, FH 31, Spandauer Damm 130, 14050 Berlin, Germany
Life Sci 72:1909-18. 2003Hypoxia-induced neuronal damage and glutamate release were investigated in a N(2)- or in xenon-atmosphere for embryonic rat cortical neurons; cellular damage and glutamate over-release were observed in N(2)-treated cells whereas xenon ..
- Hyperpolarized (129)Xe T (1) in oxygenated and deoxygenated bloodM S Albert
Department of Radiology, Brigham and Women s Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
NMR Biomed 13:407-14. 2000....
- Xenon enhances hypothermic neuroprotection in asphyxiated newborn pigsElavazhagan Chakkarapani
Department of Clinical Sciences at South Bristol, University of Bristol, Bristol, United Kingdom
Ann Neurol 68:330-41. 2010To investigate whether inhaling 50% xenon during hypothermia (HT) offers better neuroprotection than xenon or HT alone.
- Neuroprotective interaction produced by xenon and dexmedetomidine on in vitro and in vivo neuronal injury modelsNishanthan Rajakumaraswamy
Departments of Anaesthetics, Pain Medicine and Intensive Care, Imperial College London, Chelsea and Westminster Hospital, 369 Fulham Road, London SW10 9NH, United Kingdom
Neurosci Lett 409:128-33. 2006b>Xenon, an NMDA receptor antagonist and dexmedetomidine (Dex), an alpha(2)-adrenoceptor agonist, both exhibit neuroprotective effects. We investigated the nature of their interaction...
- Xenon or propofol anaesthesia for patients at cardiovascular risk in non-cardiac surgeryJ H Baumert
Klinik fur Anaesthesiologie, Universitaetsklinikum Aachen, Pauwelsstrasse 30, 52074 Aachen, Germany
Br J Anaesth 100:605-11. 2008The results of two European multi-centre trials on xenon anaesthesia led to the hypothesis that a xenon-based anaesthetic would keep left ventricular (LV) and circulatory function more stable than a propofol-based anaesthetic, in ..
- Hyperpolarized xenon NMR and MRI signal amplification by gas extractionXin Zhou
Materials Sciences Division, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory and Department of Chemistry, University of California, Berkeley, CA 94720, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 106:16903-6. 2009A method is reported for enhancing the sensitivity of NMR of dissolved xenon by detecting the signal after extraction to the gas phase...
- Morphological evidence that xenon neuroprotects against N-methyl-DL-aspartic acid-induced damage in the rat arcuate nucleus: a time-dependent studyGianfranco Natale
Department of Human Morphology and Applied Biology, University of Pisa, Via Roma 55, I 56126 Pisa, Italy
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1074:650-8. 2006..Since the anesthetic gas xenon behaves as an NMDA antagonist, the present article investigated, by distinct morphological approaches and after ..
- Xenon: elemental anaesthesia in clinical practiceRobert D Sanders
Department of Anaesthetics and Intensive Care, Faculty of Medicine, Imperial College London, UK
Br Med Bull 71:115-35. 2004..describe the preclinical and clinical studies that have led to a resurgence of interest in the use of the element xenon as an anaesthetic...
- Upstream signaling of protein kinase C-epsilon in xenon-induced pharmacological preconditioning. Implication of mitochondrial adenosine triphosphate dependent potassium channels and phosphatidylinositol-dependent kinase-1Nina C Weber
Department of Anaesthesiology, University Hospital of Dusseldorf, Moorenstrasse 5, 40225 Dusseldorf, Germany
Eur J Pharmacol 539:1-9. 2006b>Xenon elicits preconditioning of the myocardium via protein kinase C-epsilon...
- Xenon produces minimal haemodynamic effects in rabbits with chronically compromised left ventricular functionB Preckel
Klinik fur Anaesthesiologie, Universitatsklinikum Dusseldorf, Germany
Br J Anaesth 88:264-9. 2002b>Xenon has only minimal haemodynamic side-effects on normal myocardium and might be a preferable anaesthetic agent for patients with heart failure...
- Xenon is an inhibitor of tissue-plasminogen activator: adverse and beneficial effects in a rat model of thromboembolic strokeHelene N David
NNOXe Pharmaceuticals, Quebec City, Quebec, Canada
J Cereb Blood Flow Metab 30:718-28. 2010Preclinical evidence in rodents has proven that xenon may be a very promising neuroprotective agent for treating acute ischemic stroke...
- Intermitted pharmacologic pretreatment by xenon, isoflurane, nitrous oxide, and the opioid morphine prevents tumor necrosis factor alpha-induced adhesion molecule expression in human umbilical vein endothelial cellsNina C Weber
Laboratory of Experimental Intensive Care and Anesthesiology, Academic Medical Center, University of Amsterdam, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Anesthesiology 108:199-207. 2008..In myocardium, the protective effect by xenon and isoflurane preconditioning was found to be linked to the cytoskeleton...
- Molecular mechanisms transducing the anesthetic, analgesic, and organ-protective actions of xenonBenedikt Preckel
Department of Anesthesiology, Academic Medical Center, University of Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Anesthesiology 105:187-97. 2006The anesthetic properties of xenon have been known for more than 50 yr, and the safety and efficacy of xenon inhalational anesthesia has been demonstrated in several recent clinical studies...
- Nuclear magnetic resonance of laser-polarized noble gases in molecules, materials, and organismsBoyd M Goodson
Materials Sciences Division, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory and Department of Chemistry, University of California, Berkeley 94720 1460, USA
J Magn Reson 155:157-216. 2002....
- Effects of xenon anesthesia on cerebral blood flow in humans: a positron emission tomography studyRuut M Laitio
Turku PET Centre, Department of Anesthesiology and Intensive Care, Turku University Hospital, Finland
Anesthesiology 106:1128-33. 2007Animal studies have demonstrated a strong neuroprotective property of xenon. Its usefulness in patients with cerebral pathology could be compromised by deleterious effects on regional cerebral blood flow (rCBF).
- Xenon mitigates isoflurane-induced neuronal apoptosis in the developing rodent brainDaqing Ma
Department of Anaesthetics, Pain Medicine and Intensive Care, Imperial College London, London, United Kingdom
Anesthesiology 106:746-53. 2007..b>Xenon, also an N-methyl-D-aspartate antagonist, not only lacks the characteristic toxicity produced by other N-methyl-D-..
- Xenon attenuates cerebral damage after ischemia in pigsMichael Schmidt
Department of Cardiac Anesthesia, University of Ulm, Germany
Anesthesiology 102:929-36. 2005..With the growing importance of neuroprotective strategies, the current study was designed to determine whether xenon would attenuate cardiac arrest-induced brain injury in pigs.
- CBF measurements using multidelay pseudocontinuous and velocity-selective arterial spin labeling in patients with long arterial transit delays: comparison with xenon CT CBFDeqiang Qiu
Department of Radiology, Stanford University, Stanford, California, USA
J Magn Reson Imaging 36:110-9. 2012..To test the theory that velocity-selective arterial spin labeling (VSASL) is insensitive to transit delay...
- Positron emission tomography study of regional cerebral blood flow and flow-metabolism coupling during general anaesthesia with xenon in humansS Rex
Department of Anaesthesiology, University Hospital, Technical University Aachen, Aachen, Germany
Br J Anaesth 100:667-75. 2008The effects of xenon on regional cerebral blood flow (rCBF) are controversial. Moreover, the precise sites of action at which xenon exerts its effects in the human brain remain to be established.
- Detection and characterization of xenon-binding sites in proteins by 129Xe NMR spectroscopySeth M Rubin
Department of Chemistry, MC 1460, University of California, Berkeley 94720 1460, USA
J Mol Biol 322:425-40. 2002b>Xenon-binding sites in proteins have led to a number of applications of xenon in biochemical and structural studies. Here we further develop the utility of 129Xe NMR in characterizing specific xenon-protein interactions...
- Hepatic blood flow measurements with arterial and portal blood flow mapping in the human liver by means of xenon CTShigeru Sase
Anzai Medical Co, Ltd, Tokyo, Japan
J Comput Assist Tomogr 26:243-9. 2002The purpose of this work was to quantify arterial and portal blood flows in the human liver and to create blood flow maps by means of xenon CT.
- Pretreatment with xenon protected immature rabbit heart from ischaemia/reperfusion injury by opening of the mitoKATP channelQian Li
Department of Anesthesiology, West China Hospital, Sichuan University, Chengdu, Sichuan 610041, China
Heart Lung Circ 22:276-83. 2013The noble gas anaesthetic, xenon has previously been shown to protect the adult myocardium from ischaemia/reperfusion (I/R) injury, however its effect on immature myocardium is unclear...
- Evaluation of quantitative portal venous, hepatic arterial, and total hepatic tissue blood flow using xenon CT in alcoholic liver cirrhosis: comparison with liver cirrhosis CHideaki Takahashi
Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, St Marianna University, School of Medicine, Kawasaki, Japan
Alcohol Clin Exp Res 31:S43-8. 2007b>Xenon computed tomography (Xe-CT) is a noninvasive method of quantifying and visualizing tissue blood flow (TBF). For the liver, Xe-CT allows separate measurement of hepatic arterial and portal venous TBF...
- Effect of xenon binding to a hydrophobic cavity on the proton pumping cycle in bacteriorhodopsinNaoki Hayakawa
Department of Physics, Graduate School of Science, Nagoya University, Nagoya, Japan
J Mol Biol 384:812-23. 2008..a light-driven proton pump found in Halobacterium salinarum, we investigated the crystal structure in pressurized xenon or krypton...
- Exploring the effect of xenon on biomembranesLorna M Stimson
Biophysics and Statistical Mechanics Group, Laboratory of Computational Engineering, P O B 9203, 02015 Helsinki University of Technology, Finland
Cell Mol Biol Lett 10:563-9. 2005..The effect of xenon on hydrated dipalmitoylphosphatidylcholine bilayers is described...
- Potentially neuroprotective and therapeutic properties of nitrous oxide and xenonJacques H Abraini
Centre Cyceron, UMR 6185, Université de Caen CNRS, Boulevard Henri Becquerel, B P 5229, 14074 Caen Cedex, France
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1053:289-300. 2005..Interestingly, nitrous oxide and xenon, which are anesthetic gases with a remarkably safe clinical profile, have been shown to be effective inhibitors of ..
- Anticonvulsant effect of xenon on neonatal asphyxial seizuresDenis Azzopardi
Centre for the Developing Brain, King s College London, UK
Arch Dis Child Fetal Neonatal Ed 98:F437-9. 2013b>Xenon, a monoatomic gas with very high tissue solubility, is a non-competitive inhibitor of N-methyl-D-aspartate (NMDA) glutamate receptor, has antiapoptotic effects and is neuroprotective following hypoxic ischaemic injury in animals...
- Xenon treatment protects against cold ischemia associated delayed graft function and prolongs graft survival in ratsH Zhao
Department of Surgery and Cancer, Section of Anaesthetics, Pain Medicine and Intensive Care, Faculty of Medicine, Imperial College London, Chelsea and Westminster Hospital, London, UK
Am J Transplant 13:2006-18. 2013..Strategies are required to protect the graft and to prolong renal graft survival. We demonstrated that xenon exposure to human proximal tubular cells (HK-2) led to activation of range of protective proteins...
- Xenon-enhanced cerebral blood flow at 28% xenon provides uniquely safe access to quantitative, clinically useful cerebral blood flow information: a multicenter studyA P Carlson
Department of Neurosurgery, University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA
AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 32:1315-20. 2011..Due to improvements in CT technology, the concentration of inhaled xenon gas has been decreased from 32% to 28%...
- Ligand migration and cavities within Scapharca Dimeric HbI: studies by time-resolved crystallo-graphy, Xe binding, and computational analysisJames E Knapp
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Pharmacology, The University of Massachusetts Medical School, Worcester, MA 01605, USA
Structure 17:1494-504. 2009..b>Xenon (Xe) and organic halide binding experiments, along with computational analysis presented here, reveal protein ..
- The total release of xenon-133 from the Fukushima Dai-ichi nuclear power plant accidentAndreas Stohl
NILU Norwegian Institute for Air Research, Instituttveien 18, 2027 Kjeller, Norway
J Environ Radioact 112:155-9. 2012..We determine the total emission of the noble gas xenon-133 ((133)Xe) using global atmospheric concentration measurements...
- Continuously infusing hyperpolarized 129Xe into flowing aqueous solutions using hydrophobic gas exchange membranesZackary I Cleveland
Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC, USA
J Phys Chem B 113:12489-99. 2009..Additionally, we have developed a detailed mathematical model of the infused HP (129)Xe signal dynamics that should be useful in designing improved infusion systems that yield even higher dissolved HP (129)Xe signal intensities...
- Xenon as an anesthetic agentBryan D Jordan
University of Alabama at Birmingham Hospital, Birmingham, Alabama, USA
AANA J 78:387-92. 2010Discovered in 1898 by British chemists, xenon is a rare gas belonging to the noble gases of the periodic table...
- Neuroprotection against traumatic brain injury by xenon, but not argon, is mediated by inhibition at the N-methyl-D-aspartate receptor glycine siteKatie Harris
Ph D Student, Masters student, Professor of Biophysics and Anaesthetics, Lecturer in Anaesthetics, Anaesthetics, Pain Medicine, and Intensive Care Section, Department of Surgery and Cancer, Biophysics Section, Imperial College London, London, United Kingdom
Anesthesiology 119:1137-48. 2013b>Xenon, the inert anesthetic gas, is neuroprotective in models of brain injury...
- Xenon treatment attenuates early renal allograft injury associated with prolonged hypothermic storage in ratsHailin Zhao
1Department of Surgery and Cancer, Section of Anaesthetics, Pain Medicine and Intensive Care, Faculty of Medicine, Imperial College London, Chelsea and Westminster Hospital, London, UK
FASEB J 27:4076-88. 2013..The aim of this study is to investigate the renoprotective effect of xenon on early allograft injury associated with prolonged hypothermic storage...
- Determination of regional ventilation and perfusion in the lung using xenon and computed tomographyT C Kreck
Department of Medicine, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98195-6522, USA
J Appl Physiol 91:1741-9. 2001..measure both regional ventilation (V) and perfusion (Q) in which the regional radiodensity (RD) in the lung during xenon (Xe) washin is a function of regional V (increasing RD) and Q (decreasing RD)...
- Xenon has no effect on cytokine balance and adhesion molecule expression within an isolated cardiopulmonary bypass systemA Bedi
Anaesthesia and Intensive Care Medicine, The Royal Group of Hospitals Trust, Grosvenor Road, Belfast BT12 6BA, N Ireland, UK
Br J Anaesth 89:546-50. 2002Although almost inert chemically, xenon is not unreactive biologically. It interacts with receptors involved in the expression of cytokines and adhesion molecules...
- The influence of xenon on regulation of the autonomic nervous system in patients at high risk of perioperative cardiac complicationsR Hanss
Department of Anaesthesiology and Intensive Care Medicine, University Hospital Schleswig Holstein, Campus Kiel, Germany
Br J Anaesth 96:427-36. 2006As xenon anaesthesia (XE) does not produce haemodynamic depression its use may be of benefit in patients at high risk of intraoperative haemodynamic instability and perioperative cardiac complications. XE (n=22) was compared with total i...
- Pharmacologic neuroprotection--is xenon the light at the end of the tunnel?Martin Dworschak
Crit Care Med 36:2477-9. 2008
- Visualization of gas flow and diffusion in porous mediaL G Kaiser
Materials Sciences Division, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, and Department of Chemistry, University of California, Berkeley, CA 94720, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 97:2414-8. 2000..images of gas transport in aerogel fragments are correlated to the diffusion coefficient of xenon obtained from NMR pulsed-field gradient experiments...
- Multicenter randomized comparison of xenon and isoflurane on left ventricular function in patients undergoing elective surgeryFrank Wappler
Department of Anesthesiology, University Hospital Hamburg Eppendorf, and Department of Anesthesiology and Intensive Care Medicine, University Witten Herdecke, Germany
Anesthesiology 106:463-71. 2007..However, these can induce profound cardiovascular alterations. Xenon is a noble gas with potent anesthetic and analgesic properties...
- Hyperpolarized 129-Xenon-based MRI Probes for Brain InjuryJEREMY PHILLIP CELVER; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Xenon MRI assessment of response to cystic fibrosis therapiesIULIAN CONSTANTIN RUSET; Fiscal Year: 2012..Hyperpolarized xenon-129 (HXe) has been perceived as less appropriate for children due to its solubility in blood and tissues, and ..
- Short Wavelength UV Sources for Treatment of PsoriasisJOSEPH SMART; Fiscal Year: 2006..Today, these light sources are primarily broadband high pressure mercury lamps, mercury xenon, mercury argon and deuterium sources or excimer lasers...
- Simultaneous Xe129 MRI of Regional Lung Ventilation and Gas Uptake in COPDJohn P Mugler; Fiscal Year: 2013..advantage of a method recently developed by our group, based on magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) of hyperpolarized xenon-129 (hypXe129), that permits simultaneous observation of the 3D distributions of ventilation (gas delivery) and ..
- Multi-center Structural &Functional Quantitative CT Pulmonary PhenotypingERIC ALFRED HOFFMAN; Fiscal Year: 2012..With DECT we can simplify to a single breath of xenon gas or a slow peripheral injection of iodinated contrast agent to assess regional ventilation or perfused blood ..
- Optimization of Hyperpolarized Xenon-129 Diffusion MRI for COPDChengbo Wang; Fiscal Year: 2013..This will lay the foundation for future clinical trials to evaluate the potential of HP 129Xe diffusion MRI as a fundamentally improved approach for staging and monitoring progression of COPD. ..
- Evaluation of a Pulsed-Xenon Ultraviolet Room Disinfection DeviceJohn Zeber; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Pulsed Xenon Technology Targeting Hospital Acquired Infections, Cost and Outcomes Background and Introduction: Hospital acquired infections (HAI), frequently transmitted via contaminated ..
- Ancillary 129Xe Studies for COPDGeneSamuel Patz; Fiscal Year: 2013..We recently developed MRI methods utilizing hyperpolarized 129-Xenon that allow noninvasive measurement of three important pulmonary function parameters...
- Regulatory Advancement of HXe as a Diagnostic MRI Contrast AgentIULIAN CONSTANTIN RUSET; Fiscal Year: 2013..Hyperpolarized xenon-129 (HXe) MRI, a noninvasive method to assess regional lung structure and function, may prove critical in the ..
- RF Interface System and Coil for Multi-Nuclear Lung MR Imaging at 3TRALPH HASHOIAN; Fiscal Year: 2010DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Hyperpolarized helium and xenon MRI of the lungs has been shown to provide useful physiological information about pulmonary function...
- HXe Hyperpolarised Xenon Production Technology OptimizationF WILLIAM HERSMAN; Fiscal Year: 2012DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Hyperpolarized xenon-129 (HXe) MRI is poised to address critical areas of unmet need...
- Producing Large Quantities of Polarized Xenon with DNP MethodRahim R Rizi; Fiscal Year: 2013..temperature and relaxation rates during DNP, an optimized system for increasing the surface area/volume ratio of xenon/radical/solvent mixture and the superfluid helium bath will be engineered to polarize large volumes of xenon in a ..
- Structure-Based Design of Xe-129 NMR Biosensors for Multiplexed Cancer DetectionIVAN JULIAN DMOCHOWSKI; Fiscal Year: 2013..We are combining our complementary expertise in organic synthesis, xenon-based and fluorescence-based molecular imaging, carbonic anhydrase inhibitor design, and protein X-ray ..
- Ventilation Stethoscope using Hyperpolarized XenonSamuel Patz; Fiscal Year: 2013..A key aspect of this proposal is the development of a portable continuous flow xenon laser polarizer to produce a steady source of hyperpolarized 129Xe gas...
- Single-session bronchial thermoplasty for severe asthmatics guided by HXe MRIIULIAN CONSTANTIN RUSET; Fiscal Year: 2013..We hypothesize that hyperpolarized xenon (HXe) MRI could identify a subset of dysfunctional airways that dominate the patient's symptoms, and that an ..
- Microvascular Measures of Perfusion in Stroke RecanalizationMichael E Moseley; Fiscal Year: 2013..The perfusion maps will be compared with a gold-standard xenon CT (xeCT) value of CBF...
- CEREBROVASCULAR RESERVE BY XE/CT VERSUS TCD AND OXIMETRYRonda Pindzola; Fiscal Year: 2003..compromise and high risk for stroke can be identified by transcranial Doppler ultrasonography (TCD) and stable Xenon-enhanced computed tomography (Xe/CT) cerebral blood flow (CBF) measurements...
- Is xenon neuroprotective in a mouse model of ALSMarc J Kaufman; Fiscal Year: 2013..b>Xenon (Xe) gas has been used clinically as an anesthetic, it is considered safe and induces few side effects, and data ..
- Very-short-time diffusion MRI of hyperpolarized gasesG Miller; Fiscal Year: 2009..The non- radioactive noble-gas isotopes helium-3 (3He) and xenon-129 (129Xe) were introduced in the mid-1990s as inhaled contrast agents for MRI, and have since shown substantial ..
- Hyperpolarized xenon functional MRI of human lung microstructureIULIAN RUSET; Fiscal Year: 2009..While ADC measurements have been demonstrated successfully using both 129Xe and 3He, only xenon can directly sense the presence of these gas exchange membranes...
- A Compact Soft X-Ray Microbeam Facility for Small LaboratoriesSTEPHEN HORNE; Fiscal Year: 2009..Energetiq Technology, Inc. has developed a novel light source technology -- an electrodeless z-pinch xenon plasma source, originally for use in the semiconductor fabrication industry at 13...
- Hyperpolarized Xenon functional MRI of human lungsFarhod Nozirov; Fiscal Year: 2006..The lower diffusion constant of xenon offers sensitivity to restrictions to diffusion that are a factor of 3...
- NMR STUDIES OF MECHANISMS OF GENERAL ANESTHESIAYan Xu; Fiscal Year: 1999..NMR) spectroscopy will be used to characterize possible binding sites for general anesthetics, particularly xenon and fluorinated drugs, in model membranes, brain tissue homogenates, and perfused rat brain slices...
- STRUCTURE AND MECHANISM OF LIPOXYGENASEL Amzel; Fiscal Year: 2001..products and analogs, (4) analyze the mode of action of compounds design to inhibit mammalian lipoxygenases, (5) map the location of substrates and products in the internal cavities of Ll using Xenon as an x-ray contrast agent.
- NMR Investigations of the Site of Anesthetic ActionHOLLY GAEDE; Fiscal Year: 2001..b>Xenon will be one anesthetic studied, both because of its favorable anesthetic properties, and because it is amenable to ..
- 122I GENERATOR AND RADIOTRACERS FOR PERFUSION STUDIESThomas Budinger; Fiscal Year: 1999..methods for imaging perfusion have been employed, ranging from x-ray computed tomography with inhaled stable xenon to transcranial Doppler ultrasound, but none has the attributes of resolution, quantitation, volume of organ ..
- ISCHEMIA AND CEREBRAL BLOOD VOLUME IN HUMAN HEAD INJURYJ Muizelaar; Fiscal Year: 1993..Accordingly, we propose to measure cerebral blood flow (CBF) as early as possible, using the stable Xenon enhanced CT technique, during the initial diagnostic CT scan of the patient...
- REGIONAL LUNG FUNCTION IN ACUTE LUNG INJURYBrett Simon; Fiscal Year: 2000..Ventilation in lung regions as small as 1 ml volume will be determined form the washin/washout of stable xenon gas, measured on serial CT scans...
- A Water-Window Soft X-Ray Microscope for Small LaboratoriesSTEPHEN HORNE; Fiscal Year: 2006..Energetiq Technology has developed a novel light source technology called an electrodeless z-pinch xenon plasma source, originally for use in the semiconductor fabrication industry at 13...
- Polarized Xenon Production: Compact Magnetic FieldJan Distelbrink; Fiscal Year: 2006Hyperpolarized gases, both xenon-129 and helium-3, have demonstrated their utility in structural and functional lung imaging and quantifying lung disease. In contrast to helium-3, however, xenon is cheap and abundant...
- Polarized Xenon Production: Multi-liter AccumulationJan Distelbrink; Fiscal Year: 2006Hyperpolarized gases, both xenon-129 and helium-3, have demonstrated utility in structural and functional lung imaging and quantifying lung disease. In contrast to helium-3, however, xenon is cheap and abundant...
- A Device for Measuring Gas PolarizationJAMES DANIELS; Fiscal Year: 2006This project is to develop an instrument to measure the polarization of a hyperpolarized noble gas, Helium- 3 and Xenon-129, for enhanced lung MRIs in a clinical environment...
- NOVEL GAS POLARIZATION METHOD FOR HYPERPOLARIZED XE MRIWILLIAM HERSMAN; Fiscal Year: 1999Hyperpolarized xenon magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) offers potential as a new diagnostic research and clinical tool for animals and humans. Inhaled and in the gas phase, it can provide structural information about lungs...
- TUMOR BLOOD FLOW AFTER NEUTRON IRRADIATIONFrank Ngo; Fiscal Year: 1992..A second reference technique will be selected from the Xenon-133 washout or the Rb- 86 wash-in methods depending upon the outcome of our initial experiences...
- ECT EFFECTS ON CEREBRAL PERFUSIONMITCHELL NOBLER; Fiscal Year: 2000..Under this award, I would extend preliminary evidence from planar xenon rCBF studies, and use 150-water and FDG PET to assess acute and short-term changes in cortical and subcortical CBF ..
- RECYCLE OF 129XE FOR HIGH-RESOLUTION LUNG IMAGINGMICHAEL IZENSON; Fiscal Year: 2000..We propose to develop a system to recover and recycle isotopically enriched xenon gas so that high-resolution lung imaging can become common and inexpensive...
- A Practical, Low-Cost Xenon Anesthesia CircuitMICHAEL IZENSON; Fiscal Year: 2002b>Xenon gas is a very attractive anesthetic agent because of its minimal effects on the cardiovascular system, lack of metabolism, and rapid induction and emergence...
- Optimize Counter-Flowing Polarized Xenon ProductionWILLIAM HERSMAN; Fiscal Year: 2005..the physics community has directed comparatively little effort towards the challenge of producing hyperpolarized xenon. Consequently, hyperpolarized xenon is presently available to the imaging research community in quantities much ..
- Safe, Low-Cost Anesthesia Using Recycled Xenon GasMICHAEL IZENSON; Fiscal Year: 2001DESCRIPTION (Verbatim from the Applicant's Abstract): Xenon gas is a very attractive anesthetic agent because of its minimal effects on the cardiovascular system and rapid induction and emergence...
- Polarized Xenon Production: Powerful Narrowed LaserJan Distelbrink; Fiscal Year: 2005Both hyperpolarized xenon and helium have demonstrated utility in lung imaging and quantifying lung disease...
- Polarized Xenon Production Multi-liter AccumulationWILLIAM HERSMAN; Fiscal Year: 2004Since its first demonstration as an imaging agent in MRI nearly a decade ago, the promise of hyperpolarized xenon has captured the attention of the research community...
- Polarized Xenon Production: Compact Magnetic FieldWILLIAM HERSMAN; Fiscal Year: 2004Since its first demonstration as an imaging agent in MRI nearly a decade ago, the promise of hyperpolarized xenon has captured the attention of the research community...
- PHOTODYNAMIC DIAGNOSTICS AS AN AID FOR CLINICAL BIOPSYDOUGLAS BRENNER; Fiscal Year: 1991..The goal of phase I is proof of principle for the method using a xenon arc lamp-based, fiber optic light source and previously reported methods of detection; in phase II, an engineering ..
- XENON PROPORTIONAL TUBE GAMMA IMAGING CAMERAJeffrey Lacy; Fiscal Year: 2000..We propose to develop a gamma camera based on xenon gas proportional tubes oriented parallel to incident radiation and operated at high pressure...
- STABLE XENON ACTIVATION OF CBF: IMPACT ON XE/CT CBFHoward Yonas; Fiscal Year: 1991A noninvasive technique for measuring local cerebral blood flow (LCBF) by xenon-enhanced x-ray transmission computed tomography (Xe/Ct) has been developed and a broad range of clinical applications reported...
- Recycle of 129Xe for High Resolution Lung ImagingMICHAEL IZENSON; Fiscal Year: 2001..We propose to develop a system to recover and recycle isotopically enriched xenon gas so that high-resolution lung imaging can become common and inexpensive...
- CLUSTER ION PRIMARY BEAM SOURCE FOR LIQUID SIMSWILLIAM ABERTH; Fiscal Year: 1992..The use of cluster ions instead- of the customary cesium or xenon atoms for the primary beam, provides a means of increasing the surface energy deposition and thereby sample ion ..
- DEEP WHITE MATTER LESIONS--IMAGING AND COGNITIVE STUDIESCraig Van Dyke; Fiscal Year: 1990..Our goal is to establish the clinical significance of DWMLs. We will employ a longitudinal design utilizing MRI, Xenon CT, and Positron Emission Tomography (PET) brain imaging modalities, and cognitive assessment to examine the ..
- Electroluminescence Absorption Detector Compton CameraALEXANDER BOLOZDYNYA; Fiscal Year: 2003..a multi-layer electroluminescent camera (MELC), contains a stacked electrode structure immersed in pressurized xenon. The detector employs the effect of xenon electroluminescence to amplify ionization signals in an optical channel...
- Scale Up of Hyperpolarized Xe ProductionJan Distelbrink; Fiscal Year: 2007unreadable] DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Hyperpolarized xenon MRI has been demonstrated to have exquisite sensitivity in functional imaging of lungs, likely the most technically promising and commercially viable technique...
- XE SPECT AND FMR IMAGING OF REORGANIZATION POST STROKEGeorg Deutsch; Fiscal Year: 2003..A new, dynamic 133 Xenon clearance single Photon Emission Computed Tomography (SPECT) technique, that provides quantification of absolute ..
- ACQUISITION OF A HIGH PERFORMANCE DOUBLE FOCUSING MASS SIan Blair; Fiscal Year: 1991..This technique is 5-10 times more sensitive than fast atom (xenon) bombardment mass spectrometry...
- Computeserver Structural & Functional Image AnalysisBruce Fischl; Fiscal Year: 2004..Specifically, we are proposing a 344 node cluster, comprised of 2.8 Ghz Xenon processors, that will greatly enhance the ability of users of the Martinos Center to conduct their currently ..
- CBF & NEUROLOGICAL FUNCTION IN HEART TRANSPLANT PTS.Walter Obrist; Fiscal Year: 1991..Regional cerebral blood flow measurements will be made noninvasively by the Xenon-133 intravenous method at four specific time points: (1) pre- transplantation, (2) between 18 and 36 hours post-..
- PATHOGENESIS OF CUTANEOUS DIABETIC MICROANGIOPATHYArnost Fronek; Fiscal Year: 1990..determined by the combined application of venous occlusion plethysmography (total blood flow) and epicutaneous 133 Xenon wash-out (nutritional flow)...
- HIGH PRESSURE XENON 3D IMAGING DETECTORJeffrey Lacy; Fiscal Year: 2001..Under HL59805, PTI has developed a practical small tubular high pressure xenon detector which can operate in sealed mode for years at a density of 0.55 g/cm3...
- Microplate Reading Combining Spectral and Lifetime DataTRAVIS MARTIN; Fiscal Year: 2002..Our approach involves replacing the quartz halogen lamp or xenon flashlamp excitation source with a pulsed microlaser...
- HIGH PRESSURE XENON 3D IMAGING DETECTORJeffrey Lacy; Fiscal Year: 2003..In 511 keV PET imaging, the need for exotic high Z crystals results in high cost and limited solid angle. Xenon at a density of 0...
- X-ray Filter for In Vivo Contrast-Enhanced ImagingRICHARD HARMS; Fiscal Year: 2004..high spatial resolution, 2-D and 3-D images in vivo of molecular probes or tracers containing iodine, barium, or xenon. Major Phase II objectives will be to fabricate the filters, evaluate their performance for quantitative, contrast-..
- Multi-modal129 Xe Probes for Tumor DetectionIVAN DMOCHOWSKI; Fiscal Year: 2009..Cryptophanes bind xenon more tightly within their interior (Kd equals approximately 100 mu m) than other organic molecules, making these ..
- Multi-modal129 Xe Probes for Tumor DetectionIVAN DMOCHOWSKI; Fiscal Year: 2006..Cryptophanes bind xenon more tightly within their interior (Kd equals approximately 100 mu m) than other organic molecules, making these ..
- MACROMOLECULAR HYDRATION AND STRUCTUREIrwin Kuntz; Fiscal Year: 1990Experiments are proposed to study ligand diffusion in proteins. We will extend studies of xenon, myoglobin using new ligands. Work on a novel nanosecond circular dichroism instrument will proceed...