Genomes and Genes
Summary: A nonmetallic element of the halogen group that is represented by the atomic symbol I, atomic number 53, and atomic weight of 126.90. It is a nutritionally essential element, especially important in thyroid hormone synthesis. In solution, it has anti-infective properties and is used topically.
Publications364 found, 100 shown here
- Iodine deficiencyMichael B Zimmermann
Laboratory for Human Nutrition, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Zurich, Schmelzbergstrasse 7, LFV E19, CH 8092 Zurich, Switzerland
Endocr Rev 30:376-408. 2009b>Iodine deficiency has multiple adverse effects in humans, termed iodine deficiency disorders, due to inadequate thyroid hormone production...
- The effects of iodine on intelligence in children: a meta-analysis of studies conducted in ChinaMing Qian
The Institute of Endocrinology, Tianjin Medical University, Tianjin 300070, China
Asia Pac J Clin Nutr 14:32-42. 2005This study quantifies the effects of iodine on the intellectual development of children using a systematic manual literature search of Chinese publications related to iodine deficiency disorders...
- Phase II study of daily sunitinib in FDG-PET-positive, iodine-refractory differentiated thyroid cancer and metastatic medullary carcinoma of the thyroid with functional imaging correlationLaurie L Carr
Division of Medical Oncology, National Jewish Health, Denver, Colorado, USA
Clin Cancer Res 16:5260-8. 2010..of continuous dosing of sunitinib in patients with flurodeoxyglucose positron emission tomography (FDG-PET)-avid, iodine-refractory well-differentiated thyroid carcinoma (WDTC) and medullary thyroid cancer (MTC) and to assess for early ..
- The adverse effects of mild-to-moderate iodine deficiency during pregnancy and childhood: a reviewMichael B Zimmermann
Laboratory for Human Nutrition, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, Zurich, Switzerland
Thyroid 17:829-35. 2007b>Iodine is required for the production of thyroid hormones, which are essential for normal brain development, and the fetus, newborn, and young child are particularly vulnerable to iodine deficiency...
- Iodine status in pregnant women and their newborns: are our babies at risk of iodine deficiency?Cheryl A Travers
Central Coast Public Health Unit, Northern Sydney Central Coast Area Health Service, Gosford, NSW, Australia
Med J Aust 184:617-20. 2006To determine whether pregnant women and their newborns show evidence of iodine deficiency, and to examine the correlation between maternal urine iodine concentration (UIC) and newborn thyroid-stimulating hormone (TSH) level.
- Iodine-deficiency disordersMichael B Zimmermann
Laboratory for Human Nutrition, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland
Lancet 372:1251-62. 20082 billion individuals worldwide have insufficient iodine intake, with those in south Asia and sub-Saharan Africa particularly affected. Iodine deficiency has many adverse effects on growth and development...
- Global iodine nutrition: Where do we stand in 2013?Elizabeth N Pearce
Section of Endocrinology, Diabetes, and Nutrition, Boston University School of Medicine, Boston, MA 02118, USA
Thyroid 23:523-8. 2013Dietary iodine intake is required for the production of thyroid hormone...
- Delayed neurobehavioral development in children born to pregnant women with mild hypothyroxinemia during the first month of gestation: the importance of early iodine supplementationPere Berbel
Instituto de Neurociencias de Alicante, Universidad Miguel Hernández and Consejo Superior de Investigaciones Científicas, Alicante, Spain
Thyroid 19:511-9. 2009Maternal hypothyroxinemia, due to gestational iodine deficiency, causes neurological dysfunctions in the progeny...
- Thyroid cancer in Denmark 1943-2008, before and after iodine supplementationM Blomberg
Department of Viruses, Hormones and Cancer, Institute of Cancer Epidemiology, Danish Cancer Society, Copenhagen, Denmark
Int J Cancer 131:2360-6. 2012..the nationwide Danish Cancer Registry, and we focused especially on the period after implementation of compulsory iodine supplementation, which was established on a national level in 2000...
- Effect of inadequate iodine status in UK pregnant women on cognitive outcomes in their children: results from the Avon Longitudinal Study of Parents and Children (ALSPAC)Sarah C Bath
Department of Nutritional Sciences, Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences, University of Surrey, Guildford, UK
Lancet 382:331-7. 2013As a component of thyroid hormones, iodine is essential for fetal brain development. Although the UK has long been considered iodine replete, increasing evidence suggests that it might now be mildly iodine deficient...
- Geographical distribution of drinking-water with high iodine level and association between high iodine level in drinking-water and goitre: a Chinese national investigationHongmei Shen
The Center for Endemic Disease Control, Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention, Harbin Medical University, Harbin, Heilongjiang Province, Peoples s Republic of China
Br J Nutr 106:243-7. 2011Excessive iodine intake can cause thyroid function disorders as can be caused by iodine deficiency. There are many people residing in areas with high iodine levels in drinking-water in China...
- Risk of thyroid cancer after exposure to 131I in childhoodElisabeth Cardis
International Agency for Research on Cancer, Lyon, France
J Natl Cancer Inst 97:724-32. 2005..Most of the radiation exposure to the thyroid was from iodine isotopes, especially 131I...
- Innovative antimicrobial coating of titanium implants with iodineHiroyuki Tsuchiya
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Graduate School of Medical Science, Kanazawa University, Kanazawa, Japan
J Orthop Sci 17:595-604. 2012..In this study, a clinical trial was performed using an iodine-supported titanium that suppresses the microbial activities.
- Iodine deficiency and excess in children: worldwide status in 2013Michael B Zimmermann
Human Nutrition Laboratory, Department of Health Sciences and Technology, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology ETH Zurich, CH 8092 Zurich, Switzerland International Council, Control of Iodine Deficiency Disorders ICCIDD Global Network, CH 8092 Zurich, Switzerland
Endocr Pract 19:839-46. 2013Assessing iodine nutrition at the population level is usually done by measuring the urinary iodine concentration (UIC) and, in some countries, by estimating household coverage of adequately iodized salt (HHIS)...
- Urine and milk iodine concentrations in healthy and congenitally hypothyroid neonates and their mothersMahin Hashemipour
Endocrine and Metabolism Research Centre, Isfahan University of Medical Sciences, Isfahan, Iran
Endokrynol Pol 61:371-6. 2010In view of the high prevalence of Congenital Hypothyroidism (CH) in Iran, in this study we evaluated the role of iodine in the aetiology of CH by comparing urine and milk iodine concentrations in healthy and congenitally hypothyroid ..
- Iodine deficiency, radiation dose, and the risk of thyroid cancer among children and adolescents in the Bryansk region of Russia following the Chernobyl power station accidentV V Shakhtarin
Medical Radiological Research Center of the Russian Academy of Medical Sciences, Obninsk, Russia
Int J Epidemiol 32:584-91. 2003Little is known about the joint effect of iodine deficiency and radiation exposure on the risk of thyroid cancer...
- Effect of iodine prophylaxis during pregnancy on neurocognitive development of children during the first two years of lifeInes Velasco
Hospital La Merced, 41640 Osuna, Spain
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 94:3234-41. 2009..The association between thyroid function during pregnancy and the later mental and psychomotor development of the child is supported by numerous experimental, clinical, and epidemiological studies...
- Serum TSH, T(4), and thyroid antibodies in the United States population (1988 to 1994): National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES III)Joseph G Hollowell
Centers for Disease Control, National Center for Environmental Health, Division of Emergency and Environmental Services, Atlanta, Georgia 30341, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 87:489-99. 2002..A large proportion of the U.S. population unknowingly have laboratory evidence of thyroid disease, which supports the usefulness of screening for early detection...
- Effect of iodine intake on thyroid diseases in ChinaWeiping Teng
Department of Endocrinology and Metabolism, First Affiliated Hospital, China Medical University, Shengyang, China
N Engl J Med 354:2783-93. 2006b>Iodine is an essential component of thyroid hormones; either low or high intake may lead to thyroid disease...
- Prevention and control of iodine deficiency in pregnant and lactating women and in children less than 2-years-old: conclusions and recommendations of the Technical ConsultationM Andersson
Department of Nutrition for Health and Development, World Health Organization, 8803 Ruschlikon, ZH, Switzerland
Public Health Nutr 10:1606-11. 2007
- Neonatal thyroxine, maternal thyroid function, and child cognitionEmily Oken
Department of Ambulatory Care and Prevention, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02215, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 94:497-503. 2009..Thyroid hormone is essential for normal brain development. Limited data are available regarding whether thyroid function in neonates influences later cognitive development...
- Role of thyroid hormone during early brain developmentGabriella Morreale de Escobar
Instituto de Investigaciones Biomedicas Alberto Sols, Consejo Superior de Investigaciones Cientificas CSIC y Universidad Autonoma de Madrid UAM, Arturo Duperier, 4, 28029 Madrid, Spain
Eur J Endocrinol 151:U25-37. 2004..As mild-moderate iodine deficiency is still the most widespread cause of maternal hypothyroxinemia in Western societies, the birth of many ..
- BRAF mutations in papillary thyroid carcinomas inhibit genes involved in iodine metabolismC Durante
Department of Clinical Sciences, University of Rome La Sapienza, 00161 Rome, Italy
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 92:2840-3. 2007..BRAF mutations are common in papillary thyroid carcinomas (PTCs). By affecting the expression of genes critically related to the development and differentiation of thyroid cancer, they may influence the prognosis of these tumors...
- Methods to assess iron and iodine statusMichael B Zimmermann
Laboratory for Human Nutrition, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, Schmelzbergstrasse 7, LFV E 19, CH 8092 Zurich, Switzerland
Br J Nutr 99:S2-9. 2008Four methods are recommended for assessment of iodine nutrition: urinary iodine concentration, the goitre rate, and blood concentrations of thyroid stimulating hormone and thyroglobulin...
- Variable iodine intake persists in the context of universal salt iodization in ChinaYongning Wu
Ministry of Health Key Laboratory, China National Centre for Food Safety Risk Assessment, Beijing, China
J Nutr 142:1728-34. 2012b>Iodine deficiency disorders were prevalent in China until the introduction of universal salt iodization in 1995. Concerns have recently arisen about possible excess iodine intake in this context...
- Endemic goitre and excessive iodine in urine and drinking water among Saharawi refugee childrenSigrun Henjum
Akershus University College, Lillestrøm, Norway
Public Health Nutr 13:1472-7. 2010To assess the prevalence of enlarged thyroid volume (Tvol) in Saharawi refugee children, and their urinary iodine concentration (UIC), and to identify possible sources of excess iodine intake.
- Prognostic factors of papillary and follicular thyroid cancer: differences in an iodine-replete endemic goiter regionC Passler
Department of Surgery, Division of General Surgery, University of Vienna, Vienna, Austria
Endocr Relat Cancer 11:131-9. 2004..The aim of this study is to show differences in outcome and specific prognostic factors in an iodine-replete endemic goiter region...
- Iodine nutrition and the prevalence of thyroid disease after salt iodization: a cross-sectional survey in Shanghai, a coastal area in ChinaShurong Zou
Department of Nutrition Hygiene, Shanghai Municipal Center for Disease Control and Prevention, Shanghai, China
PLoS ONE 7:e40718. 2012Both insufficient and excess iodine may produce thyroid disease. After salt iodization in China, the median urine iodine concentration (UIC) of children aged 8-10 years appeared adequate...
- Evaluation of urinary iodine excretion as a biomarker for intake of milk and dairy products in pregnant women in the Norwegian Mother and Child Cohort Study (MoBa)A L Brantsaeter
Division of Environmental Medicine, Department of Food Safety and Nutrition, Norwegian Institute of Public Health, Nydalen, Oslo, Norway
Eur J Clin Nutr 63:347-54. 2009Milk and dairy products are the main sources of iodine in the Norwegian diet...
- Dietary iodine intake and urinary iodine excretion in a Danish population: effect of geography, supplements and food choiceLone B Rasmussen
Institute of Food Research and Nutrition, Danish Veterinary and Food Administration, Søborg, Denmark
Br J Nutr 87:61-9. 2002..Even individuals who followed the advice regarding intake of 200-300 g fish/week and 0.5 litres milk/d had an intake below the recommended level if living in Aalborg...
- Iodine supplementation improves cognition in iodine-deficient schoolchildren in Albania: a randomized, controlled, double-blind studyMichael B Zimmermann
Laboratory for Human Nutrition, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland
Am J Clin Nutr 83:108-14. 2006b>Iodine is required for the production of thyroid hormones, which are necessary for normal brain development and cognition...
- Iodine intake before and after mandatory iodization in Denmark: results from the Danish Investigation of Iodine Intake and Thyroid Diseases (DanThyr) studyLone B Rasmussen
Department of Nutrition, National Food Institute, Technical University of Denmark, Mørkhøj Bygade 19, DK L 2860 Søborg, Denmark
Br J Nutr 100:166-73. 2008b>Iodine deficiency is still common in some European countries. In Denmark an iodine fortification programme was introduced in 1998 and a monitoring programme was established prior to iodization...
- Structural changes in the angiofollicular units between active and hypofunctioning follicles align with differences in the epithelial expression of newly discovered proteins involved in iodine transport and organificationA C Gérard
Histology Unit, Universite Catholique de Louvain, Medical School, B 1200, Brussels, Belgium
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 87:1291-9. 2002..In conclusion, the present study endorses the likelihood of angiofollicular units in the human thyroids. Vascular changes are related to the functional status of thyrocytes...
- Iodine deficiency in pregnancy and the effects of maternal iodine supplementation on the offspring: a reviewMichael B Zimmermann
Human Nutrition Laboratory, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Zentrum, Zurich, Switzerland
Am J Clin Nutr 89:668S-72S. 2009The World Health Organization (WHO) recently increased their recommended iodine intake during pregnancy from 200 to 250 microg/d and suggested that a median urinary iodine (UI) concentration of 150-249 microg/L indicates adequate iodine ..
- Comparison of three different iodine-based bowel regimens for CT colonographyDelia Campanella
Radiology Unit, Institute for Cancer Research and Treatment, Strada Provinciale 142, km 3, 95, 10060 Candiolo, Italy
Eur Radiol 20:348-58. 2010..study was to compare the computed tomographic colonography (CTC) image quality and patient acceptance of three iodine-based faecal tagging bowel preparations in 60 patients undergoing the following regimens: a 2-day regimen of meal-..
- Iodine deficiency in pregnant women in the apparently iodine-sufficient capital city of TurkeyAlev Oguz Kutlu
Department of Pediatric Endocrinology, Dr Sami Ulus Women s and Children s Hospital, Ankara, Turkey
Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 77:615-20. 2012Previous studies of the current iodine status in Turkey have yielded contradictory results...
- The impact of the viscosity and osmolality of iodine contrast agents on renal eliminationGregor Jost
TRG Diagnostic Imaging, Bayer Schering Pharma AG, Berlin, Germany
Invest Radiol 45:255-61. 2010..The aim of our study was to investigate the possible consequences of CA viscosity differences, such as CA retention in the kidney...
- Association of iodine fortification with incident use of antithyroid medication--a Danish Nationwide StudyCharlotte Cerqueira
Research Centre for Prevention and Health, Glostrup University Hospital, DK 2600 Glostrup, Denmark
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 94:2400-5. 2009b>Iodine-induced hyperthyroidism has been reported in the early phases of almost all iodine fortification programs, depending on prior iodine intake in the population, the amount of fortification, and the rate of change.
- Rapid regulation of thyroid sodium-iodide symporter activity by thyrotrophin and iodineAndrea C F Ferreira
Laboratório de Fisiologia Endócrina, Instituto de Biofisica Carlos Chagas Filho, Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
J Endocrinol 184:69-76. 2005..The goal of this study was to evaluate the influence of thyroid iodine content on NIS regulation by thyrotrophin (TSH) in vivo...
- Reverse transcriptase inhibitors down-regulate cell proliferation in vitro and in vivo and restore thyrotropin signaling and iodine uptake in human thyroid anaplastic carcinomaMatteo Landriscina
Dipartimento di Scienze Mediche e del Lavoro, Universita degli Studi di Foggia, Viale Pinto, 1 71100 Foggia, Italy
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 90:5663-71. 2005..Two nonnucleosidic RT inhibitors, efavirenz and nevirapine, currently used in HIV treatment, reversibly down-regulate tumor growth and induce differentiation in several human tumor cell models...
- Iodine status of the U.S. population, National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, 2005–2006 and 2007–2008Kathleen L Caldwell
Division of Laboratory Sciences, National Center for Environmental Health, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Thyroid 21:419-27. 2011This report presents urinary iodine (UI) concentrations for the general U.S. population during 2005-2006 and 2007-2008...
- Iodine intake as a determinant of thyroid disorders in populationsPeter Laurberg
Department of Endocrinology, Aalborg Hospital, Aarhus University Hospital, DK 9000 Aalborg, Denmark
Best Pract Res Clin Endocrinol Metab 24:13-27. 2010Depending on the availability of iodine, the thyroid gland is able to enhance or limit the use of iodine for thyroid hormone production...
- The importance of iodine nutrition during pregnancyDaniel Glinoer
Department of Internal Medicine and Endocrinology, Thyroid Investigation Clinic, University Hospital St Pierre, 322, rue Haute, B 1000 Brussels, Belgium
Public Health Nutr 10:1542-6. 2007To examine the importance of iodine nutrition during pregnancy.
- Micronutrients and women of reproductive potential: required dietary intake and consequences of dietary deficiency or excess. Part II--vitamin D, vitamin A, iron, zinc, iodine, essential fatty acidsJoe Leigh Simpson
Florida International University, College of Medicine, Miami, FL 33199, USA
J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med 24:1-24. 2011..To assure adequate iodine, food is fortified worldwide with iodated salt. If urinary iodine levels are low, supplementation is needed...
- Iodine status of UK schoolgirls: a cross-sectional surveyMark P J Vanderpump
Department of Endocrinology, Royal Free Hampstead NHS Trust, London, UK
Lancet 377:2007-12. 2011b>Iodine deficiency is the most common cause of preventable mental impairment worldwide...
- Are Australian children iodine deficient? Results of the Australian National Iodine Nutrition StudyMu Li
School of Public Health, University of Sydney, Edward Ford Building A27, Sydney, NSW 2006, Australia
Med J Aust 184:165-9. 2006To document the population iodine nutritional status in Australian schoolchildren.
- Urinary iodine concentration during pregnancy in an area of unstable dietary iodine intake in SwitzerlandL Brander
Divisions of Clinical Chemistry, Inselspital, University of Berne, Switzerland
J Endocrinol Invest 26:389-96. 2003We prospectively investigated urinary iodine concentration (UIC) in pregnant women and in female, non-pregnant controls in the canton of Berne, Switzerland, in 1992...
- Iodine status in pregnant women living in Melbourne differs by ethnic groupMichelle A Hamrosi
Nutrition and Dietetics Unit, Department of Medicine, Monash University, Melbourne Australia
Asia Pac J Clin Nutr 14:27-31. 2005The iodine status of pregnant women from different ethnic groups in an Australian population was determined by measuring urinary iodine concentration (UIC) from stored spot urine samples...
- Functional imaging of lung cancer using dual energy CT: how does iodine related attenuation correlate with standardized uptake value of 18FDG-PET-CT?G Schmid-Bindert
Interdisciplinary Thoracic Oncology, Department of Surgery, University Medical Center Mannheim, Medical Faculty Mannheim, Heidelberg University, Theodor Kutzer Ufer 1 3, D 68167, Mannheim, Germany
Eur Radiol 22:93-103. 2012To investigate the correlation between maximum standardized uptake value (SUV(max)) of (18)FDG PET-CT and iodine-related attenuation (IRA) of dual energy CT (DECT) of primary tumours and (18)FDG PET-CT positive thoracic lymph nodes (LN) ..
- Iodine deficiency in pregnancy: the effect on neurodevelopment in the childSheila A Skeaff
Department of Human Nutrition, University of Otago, Dunedin 9054, New Zealand
Nutrients 3:265-73. 2011b>Iodine is an integral part of the thyroid hormones, thyroxine (T(4)) and tri-iodothyronine (T(3)), necessary for normal growth and development...
- The influence of gestational stage on urinary iodine excretion in pregnancyGeorgina Stilwell
Department of Diabetes and Endocrine Services, Royal Hobart Hospital, Uniuversity of Tasmania, Hobart 7001, Tasmania, Australia
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 93:1737-42. 2008Median urinary iodine concentration (UIC) is the most commonly used indicator of population iodine nutrition...
- An expeditious synthesis of N-substituted pyrroles via microwave-induced iodine-catalyzed reactions under solventless conditionsDebasish Bandyopadhyay
Department of Chemistry, The University of Texas Pan American, Edinburg, TX 78541, USA
Molecules 15:2520-5. 2010An expeditious synthesis of N-substituted pyrroles has been developed by reacting 2,5-dimethoxy tetrahydrofuran and several amines using a microwave-induced molecular iodine-catalyzed reaction under solventless conditions.
- Subclinical prenatal iodine deficiency negatively affects infant development in Northern ChinaNaseem Choudhury
Center for Molecular and Behavioral Neuroscience, Rutgers University, Newark, NJ 07102, USA
J Nutr 133:3162-5. 2003Although mild-to-moderate levels of iodine deficiency (ID) have been associated with poor cognitive outcomes in children, little is known about subclinical prenatal ID and infant development...
- The role of iodine in human growth and developmentMichael B Zimmermann
Laboratory for Human Nutrition, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, Zurich, Switzerland
Semin Cell Dev Biol 22:645-52. 2011b>Iodine is an essential component of the hormones produced by the thyroid gland. Thyroid hormones, and therefore iodine, are essential for mammalian life...
- Screening for thyroid disease and iodine deficiencyCreswell J Eastman
International Council for Control of Iodine Deficiency Disorders, and Sydney Medical School, University of Sydney, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Pathology 44:153-9. 2012The high global prevalence of iodine deficiency and autoimmune thyroid disorders and the mental and physical consequences of these disorders creates a huge human and economic burden that can be prevented, in large part, by early detection ..
- Iodine and cancerU Feldt-Rasmussen
Department of Medical Endocrinology, National University Hospital, Rigshospitalet, Copenhagen University, Denmark
Thyroid 11:483-6. 2001..experiments have demonstrated a clear increase in incidence of thyroid epithelial cell carcinomas after prolonged iodine deficiency leading to a situation of the thyroid gland by thyrotropin and possibly other growth factors...
- Iodine status of pregnant and postpartum Japanese women: effect of iodine intake on maternal and neonatal thyroid function in an iodine-sufficient areaYozen Fuse
Department of Health Policy, National Research Institute for Child Health and Development, Tokyo, Japan, 157 8535
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 96:3846-54. 2011b>Iodine deficiency in pregnant and lactating women results in serious damage to their fetuses, newborns, and weaning infants...
- Suboptimal iodine status of Australian pregnant women reflects poor knowledge and practices related to iodine nutritionKaren E Charlton
Smart Foods Centre, School of Health Sciences, University of Wollongong, Wollongong, New South Wales, Australia
Nutrition 26:963-8. 2010To assess the iodine status and knowledge and practices related to iodine nutrition of Australian women during pregnancy.
- A case for universal salt iodisation to correct iodine deficiency in pregnancy: another salutary lesson from TasmaniaJohn R Burgess
Royal Hobart Hospital, Hobart, TAS
Med J Aust 186:574-6. 2007To assess the impact of iodine fortification of bread on the iodine status of pregnant women, and to determine if studies of iodine levels in school-age children were indicative of women's gestational iodine status.
- Iodine deficiency in Australia: is iodine supplementation for pregnant and lactating women warranted?Gisselle Gallego
Centre for Health Economics Research and Evaluation CHERE, University of Technology, Sydney, NSW, Australia
Med J Aust 192:461-3. 2010Recent research has confirmed that Australian children and pregnant women are mildly iodine deficient. A considerable proportion of the pregnant population is moderately to severely iodine deficient...
- Re-emergence of iodine deficiency in AustraliaM Li
Institute of Clinical Pathology and Medical Research, Westmead Hospital, Westmead, NSW, Australia
Asia Pac J Clin Nutr 10:200-3. 2001b>Iodine is an essential nutrient for human growth and development. The thyroid gland is dependent upon iodine for production of thyroid hormone...
- Morphologic characteristics of Chernobyl-related childhood papillary thyroid carcinomas are independent of radiation exposure but vary with iodine intakeE Dillwyn Williams
Strangeways Research Laboratory, Thyroid Carcinogenesis Research Unit, Worts Causeway, Cambridge, United Kingdom
Thyroid 18:847-52. 2008..We have investigated whether unexpected features of the PTC incidence after Chernobyl were radiation specific or influenced by iodine deficiency.
- TFF3-based candidate gene discrimination of benign and malignant thyroid tumors in a region with borderline iodine deficiencyKerstin Krause
Department of Internal Medicine, Universitat Leipzig, Ph Rosenthal Str 27, 04103 Leipzig, Germany
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 93:1390-3. 2008..In this paper, we re-evaluate the diagnostic potential of 10 proposed candidate genes in benign and malignant thyroid pathologies in a region with borderline iodine deficiency.
- Relations between various measures of iodine intake and thyroid volume, thyroid nodularity, and serum thyroglobulinLone B Rasmussen
Institute of Food Research and Nutrition, The Danish Veterinary and Food Administration, Søborg, Denmark
Am J Clin Nutr 76:1069-76. 2002b>Iodine intake can be measured in various ways, and each method may have advantages and disadvantages.
- Iodine deficiency and brain development in the first half of pregnancyGabriella Morreale de Escobar
Instituto de Investigaciones Biomedicas Alberto Sols, CSIC and UAM, Calle Arturo Duperier, 4, 28029 Madrid, Spain
Public Health Nutr 10:1554-70. 2007An inadequate supply of iodine during gestation results in damage to the foetal brain that is irreversible by mid-gestation unless timely interventions can correct the accompanying maternal hypothyroxinemia...
- High prevalence of undetected thyroid disorders in an iodine sufficient adult south Indian populationV Usha Menon
Department of Endocrinology and Diabetes, Amrita Institute of Medical Sciences, Kochi 680026
J Indian Med Assoc 107:72-7. 2009India is in the transition phase from iodine deficiency to iodine sufficiency, and this is expected to change the thyroid status of the population...
- Simple microplate method for determination of urinary iodineT Ohashi
Pharmaceutical Research Laboratory, Hitachi Chemical Co, Ltd, 13 1, Higashi cho 4 chome, Hitachi shi, Ibaraki ken 317 8555, Japan
Clin Chem 46:529-36. 2000Urinary iodine is a good biochemical marker for control of iodine deficiency disorders...
- Risk of zinc, iodine and other micronutrient deficiencies among school children in North East ThailandR A Thurlow
Department of Human Nutrition, University of Otago, New Zealand
Eur J Clin Nutr 60:623-32. 2006....
- Iodine supplementation improves cognition in mildly iodine-deficient childrenRosie C Gordon
Department of Human Nutrition, University of Otago, Dunedin, New Zealand
Am J Clin Nutr 90:1264-71. 2009The effects of severe iodine deficiency during critical periods of brain development are well documented. There is little known about the consequences of milder forms of iodine deficiency on neurodevelopment.
- Iodine status of the U.S. population, National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey 2003-2004Kathleen L Caldwell
Division of Laboratory Sciences, National Center for Environmental Health, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia 30341, USA
Thyroid 18:1207-14. 2008Since 1971, the general U.S. population has been monitored for dietary iodine sufficiency by urinary iodine (UI) measurements through the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES)...
- Micro-computed tomography with iodine staining resolves the arrangement of muscle fibresNathan S Jeffery
Department of Musculoskeletal Biology, Institute of Ageing and Chronic Disease, University of Liverpool, Sherrington Buildings, Ashton Street, Liverpool, L69 3GE, UK
J Biomech 44:189-92. 2011..microCT images in which contrast between muscle and connective tissue has been achieved by means of staining with iodine. Enhancement is shown to be dependent on the concentration of iodine solution (I(2)KI), time in solution and ..
- Self-reported dietary supplement use is confirmed by biological markers in the Norwegian Mother and Child Cohort Study (MoBa)Anne Lise Brantsaeter
Division of Environmental Medicine, Department of Food Toxicology, Norwegian Institute of Public Health, Oslo, Norway
Ann Nutr Metab 51:146-54. 2007..The aim of the present study was to investigate the relation between reported use and biomarkers in supplement and non-supplement users and to validate self-reported intake of dietary supplements in mid pregnancy...
- Residual goitre in the postiodization phase: iodine status, thiocyanate exposure and autoimmunityR K Marwaha
Department of Endocrinology, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi, India
Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 59:672-81. 2003..This study was done to assess goitre prevalence, thyroid functional status and cause of residual goitre among school children in the postsalt iodization phase in India...
- Sustainable control of iodinedeficiency in Iran: beneficial results of the implementation of the mandatory law on salt iodizationF Azizi
Endocrine Research Center, Shaheed Beheshti, University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, I R Iran
J Endocrinol Invest 25:409-13. 2002b>Iodine deficiency disorders (IDD) were prevalent in the Islamic Republic (IR) of IRAN before 1989, when the national salt iodization program with 40 mg l/k of salt was initiated...
- Exploration of biomarkers for total fish intake in pregnant Norwegian womenAnne Lise Brantsaeter
Division of Environmental Medicine, Department of Food Safety and Nutrition, Norwegian Institute of Public Health, PO Box 4404 Nydalen, NO 04030 Oslo, Norway
Public Health Nutr 13:54-62. 2010..The aim of the present study was to explore whether selenium (Se), iodine, mercury (Hg) or arsenic may serve as a biomarker for total fish and seafood intake in addition to the ..
- New reference values for thyroid volume by ultrasound in iodine-sufficient schoolchildren: a World Health Organization/Nutrition for Health and Development Iodine Deficiency Study Group ReportMichael B Zimmermann
Laboratory for Human Nutrition, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Zurich, Ruschlikon, Switzerland
Am J Clin Nutr 79:231-7. 2004Goiter prevalence in school-age children is an indicator of the severity of iodine deficiency disorders (IDDs) in a population...
- Thyroid function and prevalence of anti-thyroperoxidase antibodies in a population with borderline sufficient iodine intake: influences of age and sexElizabeth H Hoogendoorn
Department of Endocrinology, Radboud University Nijmegen Medical Centre, Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Clin Chem 52:104-11. 2006We present a large European population-based study of thyroid function, performed in a population with longstanding borderline sufficient iodine intake.
- More than adequate iodine intake may increase subclinical hypothyroidism and autoimmune thyroiditis: a cross-sectional study based on two Chinese communities with different iodine intake levelsXiaochun Teng
Department of Endocrinology and Metabolism, The First Affiliated Hospital, China Medical University, No 155 Nanjing Bei Street, Heping District, Shenyang, People s Republic of China
Eur J Endocrinol 164:943-50. 2011With the introduction of iodized salt worldwide, more and more people are exposed to more than adequate iodine intake levels with median urinary iodine excretion (MUI 200-300 μg/l) or excessive iodine intake levels (MUI >300 μg/l)..
- Effects of time of administration and dietary iodine levels on potassium iodide (KI) blockade of thyroid irradiation by 131I from radioactive falloutP B Zanzonico
Nuclear Medicine Service, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York, NY 10021, USA
Health Phys 78:660-7. 2000..In the current analysis, computer modeling of iodine metabolism has been used to systematically elucidate the effects of two practically important but highly variable ..
- Risks of iodine-induced hyperthyroidism after correction of iodine deficiency by iodized saltF Delange
International Council for Control of Iodine Deficiency Disorders, Brussels, Belgium
Thyroid 9:545-56. 1999..signs of hyperthyroidism, or even overt and possibly lethal clinical hyperthyroidism were reported in 2 severely iodine-deficient African countries (Zimbabwe and Democratic Republic of Congo, RDC) soon after the introduction of ..
- Iodine excess or not: analysis on the necessity of reducing the iodine content in edible salt based on the national monitoring resultsSumei Li
National Training and Technical Support Team for Iodine Deficiency Disorders, Institute for Communicable Disease Control and Prevention, Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention, Changping, Beijing, China
Asia Pac J Clin Nutr 20:501-6. 2011..2009, this paper describes the change in trend with regard to the coverage of qualified iodized household salt and iodine status of the population in China since the implementation of universal salt iodization...
- Thyroglobulin is a sensitive measure of both deficient and excess iodine intakes in children and indicates no adverse effects on thyroid function in the UIC range of 100-299 μg/L: a UNICEF/ICCIDD study group reportMichael B Zimmermann
Human Nutrition Laboratory and Secretariat of International Council for Control of Iodine Deficiency Disorders ICCIDD Global Network, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology ETH, 8092 Zurich, Switzerland
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 98:1271-80. 2013The median urinary iodine concentration (UIC) is a biomarker of iodine intake. According to the World Health Organization, a median UIC in the range 100-199 μg/L indicates adequate and 200-299 μg/L more than adequate intake...
- Pendrin is an iodide-specific apical porter responsible for iodide efflux from thyroid cellsAkio Yoshida
First Department of Internal Medicine, Tottori University Faculty of Medicine, Nishimachi 36 1, Yonago, Tottori 683 8504, Japan
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 87:3356-61. 2002....
- Iodine and mental development of children 5 years old and under: a systematic review and meta-analysisKarim Bougma
School of Dietetics and Human Nutrition, McGill University, 21111 Lakeshore Road, CINE Building, Sainte Anne de Bellevue, QC, H9X 3V9, Canada
Nutrients 5:1384-416. 2013Several reviews and meta-analyses have examined the effects of iodine on mental development. None focused on young children, so they were incomplete in summarizing the effects on this important age group...
- Subclinical acute kidney injury (AKI) due to iodine-based contrast mediaClaudio Ronco
Department of Nephrology, International Renal Research Institute IRRIV, San Bortolo Hospital, Vicenza, Italy
Eur Radiol 23:319-23. 2013..Thus, in this situation, these new criteria can reveal subclinical AKI. A new domain of AKI diagnosis could then include functional and structural criteria as indicated by laboratory testing...
- Antibacterial iodine-supported titanium implantsT Shirai
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Kanazawa University, Takaramachi, Kanazawa, Japan
Acta Biomater 7:1928-33. 2011..This study focused on evaluating the antibacterial activity of iodine-supported titanium (Ti-I(2)) and its impact on post-implant infection, as well as determining the potential ..
- Adverse reactions to iodinated contrast mediaS K Morcos
Department of Diagnostic Imaging, Northern General Hospital NHS Trust, Sheffield, UK
Eur Radiol 11:1267-75. 2001..The use of ICM in diabetic patients receiving metformin should be carried out with care to avoid metformin-induced lactic acidosis. However, this problem is mainly observed in patients with diabetic nephropathy...
- Comparative study of thyroid function and types of thyroid dysfunction in two areas in Denmark with slightly different iodine statusN Knudsen
Department of Internal Medicine I, Bispebjerg Hospital, DK 2400, Copenhagen, Denmark
Eur J Endocrinol 143:485-91. 2000The pattern of thyroid dysfunction seems to depend on the iodine status of the population. Prevalence of thyroid dysfunction could be a parameter to consider when evaluating iodine deficiency disorders in a population.
- Effects of chronic iodine excess in a cohort of long-term American workers in West AfricaElizabeth N Pearce
Section of Endocrinology, Diabetes, and Nutrition, Boston Medical Center, Boston University School of Medicine, Boston, Massachusetts 02118, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 87:5499-502. 2002..Africa, in 1998 had previously demonstrated a high rate of thyroid dysfunction and goiter attributable to excess iodine from their water filters...
- Dynamic changes of CD4+CD25 + regulatory T cells in NOD.H-2h4 mice with iodine-induced autoimmune thyroiditisHaibo Xue
Department of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Institute of Endocrinology, The First Affiliated Hospital, China Medical University, Shenyang, China
Biol Trace Elem Res 143:292-301. 2011b>Iodine is an essential trace element for thyroid hormone synthesis and metabolism, either low or high intake may lead to thyroid disease, but the pathogenetic mechanisms by which iodine interacts with the thyroid autoimmune are poorly ..
- Dietary iodine and thyroid cancer risk in French Polynesia: a case-control studyEnora Clero
Radiation Epidemiology Group, CESP Center for Research in Epidemiology and Population Health, U1018 Inserm, Villejuif, France
Thyroid 22:422-9. 2012French Polynesia has one of the world's highest thyroid cancer incidence rates. Iodine is suspected to play a role in this high incidence...
- A five-year follow-up study of goiter and thyroid nodules in three regions with different iodine intakes in ChinaX Yu
Institute of Endocrinology, First Hospital Affiliated to China Medical University, Shenyang, Liaoning Province, PR China
J Endocrinol Invest 31:243-50. 2008The association between iodine status and the prevalence of goiter and thyroid nodules has been well established but the extent to which different iodine intake levels influence the incidence of goiter and thyroid nodules is unclear...
- Iodine excessHans Burgi
International Council for the Control of Iodine Deficiency Disorders ICCIDD, CH 4500 Solothurn, Switzerland
Best Pract Res Clin Endocrinol Metab 24:107-15. 2010Several mechanisms are involved in the maintenance of normal thyroid hormone secretion, even when iodine intake exceeds physiologic needs by a factor of 100. The sodium-iodide symporter system contributes most to this stability...
- Ten repeat collections for urinary iodine from spot samples or 24-hour samples are needed to reliably estimate individual iodine status in womenFranziska König
Human Nutrition Laboratory, Institute of Food, Nutrition, and Health, ETH Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland
J Nutr 141:2049-54. 2011Although the median urinary iodine concentration (UIC) is a good indicator of iodine status in populations, there is no established biomarker for individual iodine status...
- Iodine deficiency associated with parenteral nutrition in extreme preterm infantsM Ibrahim
Tayside Institute of Child Health, University of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital and Medical School, Scotland, UK
Arch Dis Child Fetal Neonatal Ed 88:F56-7. 2003Infants are in negative iodine balance on current standard regimens of total parenteral nutrition, with a mean iodine intake of 3 micro g/kg/day (150 ml/kg/day)...
- Long-term exposure to excessive iodine from water is associated with thyroid dysfunction in childrenZhongna Sang
Department of Nutrition and Food Science, and 4Department of Sanitary Chemistry, School of Public Health, Tianjin Medical University, Tianjin, China 5Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Cangzhou City, Hebei Province, Cangzhou, China
J Nutr 143:2038-43. 2013Previous studies have indicated an association between iodine excess and increased incidence of thyroid dysfunction in adults. However, there have been few studies on how the intake of excessive iodine affects thyroid function in children...
- Excessive iodine intake during pregnancy in Somali refugeesIsmail A R Kassim
Centre for International Health and Development, Institute of Child Health, University College London, London, UK
Matern Child Nutr 8:49-56. 2012b>Iodine deficiency and excess are both associated with adverse health consequences, with fetuses, children and pregnant women being most vulnerable to the devastating effects of severe deficiency...
- An epidemiological survey of children's iodine nutrition and goitre status in regions with mildly excessive iodine in drinking water in Hebei Province, ChinaShengmin Lv
Heibei Provincial Center for Disease Control and Prevention, No 97 Huai an East Road, Shijiazhuang, People s Republic of China
Public Health Nutr 15:1168-73. 2012To identify children's iodine nutrition and goitre status in areas with mildly excessive iodine in drinking water.
- Effects of iodine deficiency in pregnancyElizabeth N Pearce
Section of Endocrinology, Diabetes, and Nutrition, Boston University School of Medicine, Boston, MA 02118, USA
J Trace Elem Med Biol 26:131-3. 2012Dietary iodine requirements are increased in pregnancy due to increased thyroid hormone production, increased renal iodine losses, and fetal iodine requirements...
- Efficacy of iodine-treated biocidal filter media against bacterial spore aerosolsJ H Lee
Department of Environmental Engineering Sciences, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL 32611, USA
J Appl Microbiol 105:1318-26. 2008To assess the effectiveness of iodine-treated biocidal filter media against bacterial spore aerosols.
- Therapy of endocrine disease: Impact of iodine supplementation in mild-to-moderate iodine deficiency: systematic review and meta-analysisPeter N Taylor
Thyroid Research Group, Institute of Molecular and Experimental Medicine IMEM, Cardiff University School of Medicine, Cardiff University, Cardiff CF14 4XN, UK
Eur J Endocrinol 170:R1-R15. 2014Although the detrimental effects of severe iodine deficiency are well recognised, the benefits of correcting mild-to-moderate iodine deficiency are uncertain.
- Iodine Nutrition and Thyroid Disease During Pregnancy and LactationANGELA MEI TIN LEUNG; Fiscal Year: 2013..K23 awards will allow me to develop future research hypotheses aimed at specific strategies of achieving adequate iodine nutrition and normal thyroid function during pregnancy and lactation...
- EICOSANOID SYNTHESIS AND FUNCTION IN CORONARY VESSELSWILLIAM BRYSON CAMPBELL; Fiscal Year: 2010..on membranes from coronary arteries, ECs and smooth muscle cells using agonist analogs that incorporate iodine-125, biotin and photoaffinity groups and an agonist tethered to silica beads...
- A Molecular targeting agent for systemic radiotherapy of metastatic Prostate CancKevin P Maresca; Fiscal Year: 2010..a successfully completed phase 1 SBIR award (1R43EB004253), Molecular Insight Pharmaceuticals has developed novel Iodine-123 radiolabeled inhibitors that target PSMA and may provide specific diagnostic and special localization of ..
- Biofilm matrix-degrading enzymes for the treatment and prevention of S. aureus-asJeffrey B Kaplan; Fiscal Year: 2013..Topical biocides will include povidone iodine and chlorhexidine gluconate...
- PERCHLORATE AND THYROID HORMONES IN PREGNANCY AND INFANTS IN SOUTHERN CALIFORNIACraig M Steinmaus; Fiscal Year: 2013..susceptible subgroups, including the developing fetus, young children, pregnant women, or those with low intake of iodine or high intake of thiocyanate...
- Measles Virotherapy and radiovirotherapy in the Treatment of recurrent gliomasEvanthia Galanis; Fiscal Year: 2013..of three novel approaches in glioma treatment;a different measles virus strain, MV-NIS, which encodes the sodium iodine symporter (NIS) gene, thus allowing imaging of viral distribution in vivo;enhancing MV-NIS oncolysis, by ..
- ASTATINE AND IODINE RADIOLABELED MONOCLONAL ANTIBODIESMichael Rod Zalutsky; Fiscal Year: 2013..conduct all the toxicity, efficacy, dosimetry, and other FDA-required studies for Investigational New Drug permits, to all performance of clinical trials in malignant glioma patients under our Brain Tumor Center grant (NS20023 ..
- Development of a radioligand for assay of angiotensin-converting enzyme-2(ACE-2)ROBERT CHARLES SPETH; Fiscal Year: 2013..of this pseudodipeptide will retain the high affinity and specificity of MLN-4760 for ACE-2, with and without an iodine-125 molecule attached to the tyrosinyl side chain...
- Northwest/Alaska/Hawaii Center to Reduce Oral Health DisparitiesPETER M MILGROM; Fiscal Year: 2012..in rural Eastern and Southwestern Washington State and focus on school nutrition and the use of topical PVP-iodine and fluoride varnish in caries prevention...
- Dual-Energy Cone-Beam Tomographic Imaging and Analysis for Rheumatoid ArthritisJeffrey H Siewerdsen; Fiscal Year: 2013..imaging tasks, including non-contrast exams (endogenous soft-tissues) and contrast-enhanced exams (exogenous Gd or iodine);2...
- Polysaccharide Ecocomposite Materials: Recyclable Synthesis and ApplicationsChieu D Tran; Fiscal Year: 2012..e., HemCon bandage (a bandage based on CS), Iodoflex pad (a bandage with iodine) and Silvasorb sheet (bandage with silver)...
- Preclinical Efficacy And Safety Evaluation Of Graphene Nanoparticle-based MagnetiBalaji Sitharaman; Fiscal Year: 2013..Exogenous chemicals called contrast agents (CAs) synthesized using the elements iodine and gadolinium has been widely employed to improve the diagnostic confidence of CT and MRI, respectively...
- Regulation of Extracellular Matrix 1(ECM1) and its role in thyroid carcinogenesisGeeta Lal; Fiscal Year: 2012..Well-differentiated tumors are typically treated with surgery and radio-active iodine ablation...
- Role of Deiodinases in Thyroid Hormone HomeostasisAnn M Zavacki; Fiscal Year: 2010..D1 and the type 3 deiodinase (D3) can also inactivate T3 by removal of an additional iodine. Thus, these enzymes control T3 availability...
- Antibacterial, antifungal, antiviral, and antispore paintsYUYU contact SUN; Fiscal Year: 2011..Nevertheless, the antimicrobial function of the new paints can be easily monitored by a simple potassium iodine/starch test...
- Radiovirotherapy for Multiple MyelomaStephen J Russell; Fiscal Year: 2012..The studies to be pursued in this grant combine the promising novel approach of oncolytic virotherapy with the use of radioactive iodine for the treatment of this disease.
- NATIONAL RESOURCE FOR IMAGING MASS SPECTROMETRYClaude P Lechene; Fiscal Year: 2012..Development of an iodine negative primary ion source will open subcellular isotope ratio imaging of secondary positive ions, in particular ..
- Rapid Field Test for Iodine Levels in SaltBikas Vaidya; Fiscal Year: 2012DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Iodine deficiency is the single most common cause of preventable mental retardation and brain damage in the world. It also decreases child survival, causes goiters, and impairs growth and development...
- Analgesics targeting truncated 6transmembrane exon 11 variants of MOR-1 (6TM-E11)Susruta Majumdar; Fiscal Year: 2013..Preliminary data suggests that an aryl amido at the 6-position of the opiate coupled with an iodine at the 3 or 4 position of the aryl enhances the affinity for the 6TM/E11 site...
- Non-Tropane Irreversible Dopamine Transporter LigandsDAVID JOHN LAPINSKY; Fiscal Year: 2010..Specifically, pyrovalerone and methylphenidate will be modified to contain an iodine as a tracer tag and either an aryl azide or aryl isothiocyanate as a reactive labeling functional group...
- The Intra-household Distribution of Food and Health Resources amongst ChildrenAchyuta Adhvaryu; Fiscal Year: 2013..program related to understanding the intra-household spillovers of targeted nutrition interventions, focusing on iodine supplementation...
- Prostate Edema in Permanent Interstitial BrachytherapyZhe Chen; Fiscal Year: 2010..Public Health Relevance: Permanent implantation of radioactive seeds containing iodine-125, palladium-103, or cesium-131 in the prostate, also called brachytherapy, has become a popular form of ..
- Inflammation, Cardiac Sympathetic Innervation and Arrhythmic Sudden DeathRICHARD THOMAS GEORGE; Fiscal Year: 2012..The most robust clinical test of sympathetic innervation to date is Iodine-123 Metaiodobenzylguanidine (MIBG) imaging with gamma scintigraphy...
- Asymmetric Lewis Base Catalysis in Main Group ChemistryScott Eric Denmark; Fiscal Year: 2013..These reactions are efficiently initiated by electrophilic sulfur(II), chlorine(I), bromine(I), and iodine(I) reagents The design of Lewis bases to catalyze and control the constitutional and enantiofacial selectivity ..
- Modifiable Risk Factors for CME in Retinitis PigmentosaMichael A Sandberg; Fiscal Year: 2010..b>Iodine supplementation has been suggested as a way to reduce edema in different tissues...
- Macromolecular therapeutics for neoplastic meningitisMikhail I Papisov; Fiscal Year: 2011..We will synthesize and characterize highly fractionated macromolecules labeled with iodine-124, investigate by PET their retention in CSF, then synthesize a camptothecin conjugate of the optimal size with ..
- Image Science for the New X-Ray: Taking Dual-Energy CT to TaskJeffrey H Siewerdsen; Fiscal Year: 2013..g., calcium-iodine, calcium-uric acid, and intrinsic soft-tissue discrimination)...
- Scientific Basis of Iodine-Fluoride Varnish in Preventing Dental CariesR MIKE SHIRTCLIFF; Fiscal Year: 2013..this Phase I application is to determine the technical and scientific feasibility of using a combination povidone-iodine (PVP-I)-5% sodium fluoride (NaF) varnish as a potential commercial product to prevent dental caries...
- Anti-Tumor Immunity in Response to a Modified Vaccine Strain Measles VirusTobias Peikert; Fiscal Year: 2013..Herein we propose to investigate the effects of a modified MV carrying the human gene for the sodium iodine symporter (NIS) on local and systemic anti-tumor and antiviral immunity...
- Mechanisms of RET/PTC Rearrangement in Thyroid CancerYuri E Nikiforov; Fiscal Year: 2013..Our recent analysis of this cohort revealed a strong link between RET/PTC and leaving in the regions of iodine deficiency, which we will explore in this proposal to study the reasons for the association between iodine ..
- Prevention of hepatocellular carcinoma in vulnerable communities in TexasTimothy Phillips; Fiscal Year: 2013..The preferred delivery of a therapeutic dose of NS clay may eventually be through its inclusion in common foods such as peanut butter, corn meal, tortillas, or salt (like iodine).
- High Resolution Microendoscopy for the Detection of Esophageal NeoplasiaREBECCA RAE RICHARDS-KORTUM; Fiscal Year: 2012..Endoscopic screening is typically performed in high-risk populations with Lugol's iodine staining of the mucosa and targeted biopsy of abnormal (unstained) areas...
- Maximizing effectiveness of radioiodine therapy by inhibition of MAPK signalingJames A Fagin; Fiscal Year: 2013..at metastatic sites in patients with RAI- refractory thyroid cancer, allowing many of them to be treated with 131-iodine, with remarkable clinical responses...
- A Device to Quantify Sweat of Single Sweat Glands to Diagnose NeuropathyWilliam R Kennedy; Fiscal Year: 2013..The innovative feature of the SST was placement of starch-coated Scotch(R) tape on the iodine-coated skin...
- Synthesis of Radiofluorinated PET Imaging AgentsSTEPHEN DIMAGNO; Fiscal Year: 2013..Specific aim 1 is to develop new, general, highly efficient methodology for single-step iodine-mediated radiofluorination of functionalized, electron-rich aromatic compounds with n.c.a. [18F]fluoride...
- PET/CT Imaging of Malignant Brain Tumors with 124I-NM404Jamey P Weichert; Fiscal Year: 2013..When labeled with the therapy isotope iodine-131, NM404, has produced significant prolongation of life following a single injection in a dozen human xenograft ..
- Mayo Clinic Urology O'Brien Research CenterJohn C Lieske; Fiscal Year: 2012..we hypothesize that this quantitative assessment of stone composition and burden can be performed using iodine-enhanced dual-energy CT data, which presents an opportunity to reduce patient radiation dose compared to a ..
- Passivating Proteins in Implantable Glucose SensorsW Ward; Fiscal Year: 2004..to which four proteins in buffered solutions will adsorb to polyurethane-coated surfaces will be measured using Iodine-125 radiolabeled proteins...
- Randomized, placebo-controlled, double-blind trial of T3 in infant heart surgeryJane W Newburger; Fiscal Year: 2010..and early postoperative management strategies, including use of modifiers of thyroid function such as topical iodine, iodinated contrast, and dopamine...
- Novel tungsten and bismuth nanoparticle contrast agents for MicroCT.Vishwas N Joshi; Fiscal Year: 2012..Scans take ~6 to 20 minutes to acquire, and current iodine contrast agents due to their short half life are not generally suitable...
- SYNTHESIS OF PHOSPHATE ESTERS WITH IODINE--III REAGENTSGERALD KOSER; Fiscal Year: 1990The preparation of iodine (III)-phosphate reagents, PhI(OR)OP(O)(OR')2, and their efficacy for the synthesis of phosphate esters via the direct phosphoryloxylation of carbon (as opposed to the phosphorylation of oxygen) will be explored...
- SYNTHESIS OF ANTITUMOR NATURAL PRODUCTSSamuel J Danishefsky; Fiscal Year: 2013..Analog structures will be prepared with a view toward discovering TSH analogs with enhanced iodine uptake ability and pharmacostability...
- Lymphoma Therapy with Reprogrammed Measles VirusesRoberto B Cattaneo; Fiscal Year: 2013..We will arm MV by expression of the natrium-iodine symporter (NIS) protein, allowing concentration of 131I...
- A low-dose fluoroscope for pediatric interventional cardiologyTobias Funk; Fiscal Year: 2010..target in combination with beam filtration that has an enhanced spectral composition to improve image contrast for iodine;(Specific Aim 2) Energy-resolved detection to further enhance image contrast;and (Specific Aim 3) Electronic ..
- CT Monitoring of AngiogenesisBenjamin M Yeh; Fiscal Year: 2010..test the "OVERALL HYPOTHESIS** that polyethylene glycol-based lysine dendrimers conjugated with organically bound iodine (PEG-triiodo) are feasible MMCMs that can be used to obtain accurate measurements of microvascular leakiness and ..
- Real Time Visualization of Clot under X-Ray Using "Clot-Paint", a Novel IodinatedLucjan J J Hronowski; Fiscal Year: 2010..tightly to the intra-arterial thrombus via protein receptor sites while at the same time containing sufficient iodine molecules rendering the clot opaque to the x-ray beam and visible under fluoroscopic imaging for an extended ..
- Gold-Loaded Polymeric MicellesAndrew Tsourkas; Fiscal Year: 2013..This is largely because gold provides almost three times greater X-ray attenuation per unit weight than iodine and GNPs generally exhibit significantly longer circulation times than tri-iodobenzene adducts...
- Biodegradable polymeric iodine contrast agents for CT angiography.Vishwas N Joshi; Fiscal Year: 2013..Scans take ~6 to 20 minutes to acquire, and current iodine contrast agents due to their short half-lives are not generally suitable...
- Recombinant Human TSH Superagonists for Imaging of Thyroid CancerBruce Weintraub; Fiscal Year: 2007..most patients require lifelong surveillance with diagnostic thyroid-stimulating hormone (TSH)- stimulated radio-iodine imaging as well as remnant or metastatic ablation with radioiodine therapy...
- Dual Energy CT Evaluation of Airway InflammationDavid P Naidich; Fiscal Year: 2012..This includes the specific ability to separately map the distribution of iodine within tissues, and hence quantitatively measure contrast enhancement within segmental and subsegmental airway ..
- Photon-Counting Spectral CT to Reduce Dose and Detect Early Vascular DiseaseERIK LEO RITMAN; Fiscal Year: 2013..AIM 3 - In anesthetized pigs, quantify neovascularization in major arterial walls, as an early indicator of atherosclerotic plaque formation, using iodine-based contrast agents.
- Complementary Injectable Tungsten Contrast for Dual Contrast Dual Energy CTBenjamin M Yeh; Fiscal Year: 2013..2) Dual Energy CT quantification of mixed tungsten-based and iodine-based contrast materials is accurate in the relevant clinical range of contrast concentrations in vitro...
- Theranostic nanoparticles for the treatment of RAI refractory thyroid cancerRasa Zarnegar; Fiscal Year: 2013..demonstrated in ectopic and orthotopic xenografts of human thyroid carcinomas in mice, a study designed to validate developed drug carriers for future use to treat aggressive, metastatic, and radioactive iodine refractory thyroid cancer.
- SPORE IN PROSTATE CANCERDonald J Tindall; Fiscal Year: 2010..D.), Project 3: Gene Therapy of Prostate Cancer Using Radioactive Iodine (John C. Morris, III, M.D...
- MIBG ANALOGUE RADIOPHARMACEUTICALSGanesan Vaidyanathan; Fiscal Year: 2001..The structural alterations planned include introduction of chlorine, bromine, iodine, nitro and sulfonic acid moieties at the 4-position in the benzene ring of MIBG and replacement of the benzene ..
- INTRAVAGINAL PRODUCTS EFFECT ON VAGINAL PHYSIOLOGYDavid Eschenbach; Fiscal Year: 1999..spermicide containing nonoxynol-9, commonly used vaginal douche products, including one that contains povidone-iodine, the intravaginal instillation of hydrogen peroxide producing Lactobacillus, and menopause before and after ..
- Nanoparticle CT Contrast Agents for Reduced Radiation Dose and New Imaging ApplicBenjamin M Yeh; Fiscal Year: 2013..We will demonstrate that the nanoparticles are biologically safe and have organ retention that is comparable to iodine-based counterparts. Aim 2...
- Development and Applications of Novel SERT PET LigandsMark Goodman; Fiscal Year: 2006..Our recent preliminary data with iodine-123 labeled ZIENT indicate that structural features unique to ZIENT permit in vivo measurement of SERT density in ..
- ANTIBODY-TARGETED POLYMERIC SYSTEMS FOR TUMOR IMAGINGVladimir Torchilin; Fiscal Year: 2006..Micelle-forming iodine-containing polymers have also been suggested as the contrast agents for computed tomography (CT)...
- Development and Applications of Novel SERT PET LigandsMark Goodman; Fiscal Year: 2004..Our recent preliminary data with iodine-123 labeled ZIENT indicate that structural features unique to ZIENT permit in vivo measurement of SERT density in ..
- DEVELOPMENT OF CANCER IMAGING AGENTSHenry VanBrocklin; Fiscal Year: 2000..EGFRtk at pico- to nano- molar concentration suitable for labeling with fluorine-18, carbon-11, bromine-76 or iodine-123 will be synthesized...
- ENHANCEMENT OF IUDR SENSITIZATION BY LOW ENERGY PHOTONSRavinder Nath; Fiscal Year: 1992..2 keV, the K-absorption edge of iodine. It has been proposed that the enhanced IUdR radiosensitization results from Auger electron cascades induced by ..
- PET/SPECT/CT Camera for Small Animal Imaging at UMMSDonald Hnatowich; Fiscal Year: 2007..potential for higher intrinsic resolution, 99mTc, the most useful radionuclide in diagnostic nuclear medicine, and iodine radioisotopes (125I and 123I) critical for emerging in vivo proteomics research...
- MATERNAL IODINE DEFICIENCY--LACTATION AND INFANT GROWTHLINDA OBERKOTTER; Fiscal Year: 1992b>Iodine is an essential trace element, mainly due to the absolute requirement of the thyroid gland for this substance in hormonogenesis...
- Iodine-125 Peripheral Intravascular Brachytherapy SystemJohn Munro; Fiscal Year: 2004..an intravascular brachytherapy system for treatment of peripheral arteries that uses a low-energy source of 125-Iodine will be as safe and effective as the existing system that uses a high-energy source of l92-lridium, and will be ..
- QUANTITATIVE VENTRICULOGRAPHY USING DUAL-ENERGY DSAMICHAEL VAN LYSEL; Fiscal Year: 1992..can be accurately measured independent of geometric assumptions, This will be done using a direct measure of blood iodine concentration...
- Environmental Lead, Thyroid Function & NeurodevelopmentPam Factor Litvak; Fiscal Year: 2003..Maternal iodine deficiency during pregnancy leads to a lowered production of activated (i.e...
- NOD-H2H4 MICE AS A SENTINEL MODEL FOR AUTOIMMUNE THYROIDC Burek; Fiscal Year: 2001..In humans, the thyroid can be compromised by diet, drugs, and other synthetic chemicals. Excess iodine may be partially responsible for the increasing prevalence of autoimmune thyroiditis...