Summary: A calcium salt that is used for a variety of purposes including: building materials, as a desiccant, in dentistry as an impression material, cast, or die, and in medicine for immobilizing casts and as a tablet excipient. It exists in various forms and states of hydration. Plaster of Paris is a mixture of powdered and heat-treated gypsum.
Publications286 found, 100 shown here
- Biomechanical evaluation of vertebroplasty using calcium sulfate cement for thoracolumbar burst fracturesXiao tao Wu
Department of Orthopedics, Affiliated Zhongda Hospital of Southeast University, Nanjing 210009, China
Chin J Traumatol 10:327-33. 2007To evaluate the biomechanical performance of vertebroplasty using calcium sulfate cement for thoracolumbar burst fractures.
- In vivo evaluation of resorbable bone graft substitutes in a rabbit tibial defect modelD Stubbs
Orthopaedic Research Laboratories, University of New South Wales, Division of Surgery, Prince of Wales Hospital, Sydney, High Street, Randwick, NSW 2031, Australia
Biomaterials 25:5037-44. 2004b>Calcium sulfate as a bone graft substitute is rapidly resorbed in vivo releasing calcium ions but fails to provide long-term three-dimensional framework to support osteoconduction...
- Extraction socket preservation graft before implant placement with calcium sulfate hemihydrate and platelet-rich plasma: a clinical and histomorphometric study in humansAhmad Kutkut
Department of Restorative Dentistry, College of Dentistry, University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY 40536, USA
J Periodontol 83:401-9. 2012The aim of this investigation is to evaluate clinical and histologic outcome of using medical-grade calcium sulfate hemihydrate (MGCSH) mixed with platelet-rich plasma (PRP) for extraction socket preservation graft before implant ..
- Mechanical properties and in vitro bioactivity of injectable and self-setting calcium sulfate/nano-HA/collagen bone graft substituteNing Min Hu
Department of Orthopaedic Surgerg, General Hospital, Ningxia Medical University, Yinchuan 750004, PR China
J Mech Behav Biomed Mater 12:119-28. 2012b>Calcium sulfate hemihydrate (CSH) was introduced into the mineralized collagen (nHAC) to prepare an injectable and self-setting in situ bone graft substitute...
- Augmentation of pedicle screw stability with calcium sulfate cement in osteoporotic sheep: biomechanical and screw-bone interfacial evaluationDa Liu
Xijing Hospital, Institution of Orthopaedics, Fourth Military Medical University, Xi an, Shaanxi Province, PR China
J Spinal Disord Tech 24:235-41. 2011Augmentation of pedicle screws with calcium sulfate cement (CSC) was performed in osteoporotic sheep. Biomechanical tests, micro-computed tomography (CT) analysis, and histological observation were performed.
- Bone formation with the combination of simvastatin and calcium sulfate in critical-sized rat calvarial defectMyat Nyan
Oral Implantology and Regenerative Dental Medicine, Tokyo Medical and Dental University, Tokyo, Japan
J Pharmacol Sci 104:384-6. 2007..of the present study was to examine whether simvastatin stimulates bone regeneration when combined with calcium sulfate as a carrier...
- Resorption evaluation of a large bolus of calcium sulfate in a canine medullary defectThomas M Turner
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Rush Presbyterian St Luke s Medical Center, Chicago, Ill, USA
Orthopedics 26:s577-9. 2003New bone formation and resorption of a calcium sulfate bone graft substitute implanted in five canines were evaluated in this study. Healing was assessed radiographically at 2, 6, and 13 weeks...
- Integration of a novel injectable nano calcium sulfate/alginate scaffold and BMP2 gene-modified mesenchymal stem cells for bone regenerationXiaoning He
Department of Oral Biology, The State University of New York at Buffalo, Buffalo, New York 14214, USA
Tissue Eng Part A 19:508-18. 2013..In this study, we used the osteoconductive and mechanical properties of nano-scale calcium sulfate (nCS) and the biocompatibility of alginate to develop the injectable nCS/alginate (nCS/A) paste, and ..
- Biomechanical comparison of anatomic trajectory pedicle screw versus injectable calcium sulfate graft-augmented pedicle screw for salvage in cadaveric thoracic boneAlihan Derincek
Twin Cities Spine Center, Minneapolis, MN 55404, USA
J Spinal Disord Tech 19:286-91. 2006..On the other hand, calcium sulfate bone grafts have a high potential for biologic incorporation and no thermal damage effect...
- Injectable calcium sulfate/mineralized collagen-based bone repair materials with regulable self-setting propertiesZonggang Chen
National Glycoengineering Research Center, Shandong University, Jinan, 250100, People s Republic of China
J Biomed Mater Res A 99:554-63. 2011An injectable and self-setting bone repair materials (nano-hydroxyapatite/collagen/calcium sulfate hemihydrate, nHAC/CSH) was developed in this study...
- Osteotomy of distal radius fracture malunion using a fast remodeling bone substitute consisting of calcium sulphate and calcium phosphateAntonio Abramo
Department of Orthopaedics, Clinical Sciences, Lund University, Lund, Sweden
J Biomed Mater Res B Appl Biomater 92:281-6. 2010..A more rigid fixation may improve the radiographic outcome with this kind of bone substitute...
- Improvement on the performance of bone regeneration of calcium sulfate hemihydrate by adding mineralized collagenHuan Ye Liu
Department of Prosthodontics, School of Stomatology, China Medical University, Shenyang, China
Tissue Eng Part A 16:2075-84. 2010Comparative investigations of bone regeneration performance for calcium sulfate hemihydrate (CaSO(4).(1/2)H(2)O; CSH) only and CSH with mineralized collagen are reported in this article...
- Synthetic bone graft substitutesW R Moore
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Modbury Public Hospital, Modbury, Australia
ANZ J Surg 71:354-61. 2001..The benefits of synthetic grafts include availability, sterility and reduced morbidity. The present article examines the relevance of synthetic bone graft substitutes, their mechanical properties and clinical application...
- Use of a calcium sulfate-based bone graft substitute for benign bone lesionsS Gitelis
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Rush Medical College, Chicago, Ill 60612, USA
Orthopedics 24:162-6. 2001Twenty-three patients with a benign bone lesion grafted with calcium sulfate, with and without demineralized bone matrix, were reviewed...
- Injectable bone cement based on mineralized collagenXi Liu
State Key Laboratory of New Ceramics and Fine Processing, Department of Materials Science and Engineering, Tsinghua University, Beijing 100084, China
J Biomed Mater Res B Appl Biomater 94:72-9. 2010..The cement was fabricated by introducing calcium sulfate hemihydrate (CaSO(4).1/2H(2)O, CSH) into nano-hydroxyapatite/collagen (nHAC)...
- New method for application of plaster-of-Paris bandage. 1852Antonius Mathijsen
Clin Orthop Relat Res 458:59-62. 2007
- Clinical application of injectable calcium sulfate on early bony consolidation in distraction osteogenesis for the treatment of craniofacial microsomiaByung Chae Cho
From the Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, School of Medicine, Kyungpook National University, Samduk 2 ga, 50, Taegu, 700 721, Korea
J Craniofac Surg 13:465-75; discussion 475-7. 2002The purpose of this project was to study the effect of calcium sulfate on early bony consolidation in distraction osteogenesis. A total of eight patients with craniofacial microsomia were treated between April 2000 and February 2001...
- Grafting using injectable calcium sulfate in bone tumor surgery: comparison with demineralized bone matrix-based graftingJune Hyuk Kim
Orthopedic Oncology Clinic, National Cancer Center, Goyang, Korea
Clin Orthop Surg 3:191-201. 2011Injectable calcium sulfate is a clinically proven osteoconductive biomaterial, and it is an injectable, resorbable and semi-structural bone graft material...
- Volatile metabolites produced by three strains of Stachybotrys chartarum cultivated on rice and gypsum boardPengfei Gao
National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
Appl Occup Environ Hyg 17:430-6. 2002..Our findings also indicate that volatiles produced by S. chartarum may represent a relatively small fraction of the total volatiles present in problem buildings where Aspergillus spp., Penicillium spp., and other fungi usually coexist...
- Calcium sulfate: Properties and clinical applicationsMark V Thomas
Division of Periodontology, University of Kentucky, Lexington, Kentucky, USA
J Biomed Mater Res B Appl Biomater 88:597-610. 2009b>Calcium sulfate (CS) has enjoyed a longer history of clinical use than most currently available biomaterials...
- Sensory and associated reactions to mineral dusts: sodium borate, calcium oxide, and calcium sulfateWilliam S Cain
Chemosensory Perception Laboratory, Department of Surgery Otolaryngology, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, California 92093 0957, USA
J Occup Environ Hyg 1:222-36. 2004..of calcium oxide (1 to 5 mg/m(3)), sodium tetraborate pentahydrate [sodium borate] (5 to 40 mg/m(3)), and calcium sulfate (10 to 40 mg/m(3)); (2) examined correlates of the chemesthetic sensations; and (3) sought to illuminate the ..
- Experimental and theoretical studies on physico-chemical parameters affecting the solubility of phosphogypsumFanos Papanicolaou
Chemistry Department, University of Cyprus, Nicosia, Cyprus
J Environ Radioact 100:854-7. 2009....
- The fusion rate of calcium sulfate with local autograft bone compared with autologous iliac bone graft for instrumented short-segment spinal fusionWen Jer Chen
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 30:2293-7. 2005..A prospective study...
- Healing of large defects treated with calcium sulfate pellets containing demineralized bone matrix particlesRobert M Urban
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Rush Presbyterian St Luke s Medical Center, Chicago, Ill, USA
Orthopedics 26:s581-5. 2003b>Calcium sulfate (OsteoSet, Wright Medical Technology, Inc, Arlington, Tenn) and calcium sulfate/demineralized bone matrix (DBM) pellets (OsteoSet DBM, Wright Medical Technology, Inc) have been evaluated preclinically in a bilateral ..
- The treatment of experimental osteomyelitis by surgical debridement and the implantation of calcium sulfate tobramycin pelletsCarl L Nelson
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of Arkansas Medical Sciences, Little Rock 72205, USA
J Orthop Res 20:643-7. 2002b>Calcium sulfate was used as a biodegradable delivery system for the administration of antibiotics in musculoskeletal infection...
- Calcium sulfate-carboxymethylcellulose bone graft binder: Histologic and morphometric evaluation in a critical size defectMark A Reynolds
Department of Periodontics, University of Maryland, Dental School, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
J Biomed Mater Res B Appl Biomater 83:451-8. 2007b>Calcium sulfate (CS) is widely used as a bone graft binder and expander...
- Inflammatory reactions associated with a calcium sulfate bone substituteD Robinson
Department of Orthopaedics, Assaf Harofe Medical Center, Zeriffin, Israel
Ann Transplant 4:91-7. 1999..The current work describes some peculiar complications related to the use of calcium sulfate granules.
- Effect of gypsum on proliferation and differentiation of MC3T3-E1 mouse osteoblastic cellsAron Lazary
1st Department of Medicine, Semmelweis University, Koranyi S u 2 a, Budapest H 1083, Hungary
Biomaterials 28:393-9. 2007Recently, calcium sulfate dihydrate has been demonstrated as safe biodegradable osteoconductive bone void filler. However, its exact mechanism of action on bone cells is yet unknown...
- The in vitro elution characteristics of vancomycin and tobramycin from calcium sulfate beadsShawn M Sanicola
Denver Veterans Administration Medical Center, Lakewood, CO, USA
J Foot Ankle Surg 44:121-4. 2005..of this study was to determine the elution characteristics of vancomycin and tobramycin when mixed with calcium sulfate to form antibiotic beads...
- Treatment of osteomyelitis by liposomal gentamicin-impregnated calcium sulfateTang Hui
Orthopedic Center, Kunming General Hospital of Chengdu Military Command, Kunming, China
Arch Orthop Trauma Surg 129:1301-8. 2009..The aim of this study was to develop a new drug-delivery system of antibiotics for treatment of chronic experimental osteomyelitis...
- In vivo evaluation of teicoplanin- and calcium sulfate-loaded PMMA bone cement in preventing implant-related osteomyelitis in ratsT Tuzuner
Department of Orthopedics, Abant Izzet Baysal University, Duzce Medical School, Turkey
J Chemother 18:628-33. 2006..The addition of calcium sulfate to teicoplanin-loaded PMMA bone cement appeared satisfactory as an antibiotic-carrying system for prophylaxis ..
- In vitro and in vivo efficacies of teicoplanin-loaded calcium sulfate for treatment of chronic methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus osteomyelitisWei Tao Jia
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Shanghai Sixth People s Hospital, Jiaotong University, 600 Yishan Road, 200233 Shanghai, China
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 54:170-6. 2010The in vitro and in vivo therapeutic efficacies of teicoplanin-loaded calcium sulfate (TCS; 10% [wt] teicoplanin) were investigated in a rabbit model of chronic methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) osteomyelitis...
- Self-setting properties and in vitro bioactivity of calcium sulfate hemihydrate-tricalcium silicate composite bone cementsZhiguang Huan
Biomaterials and Tissue Engineering Research Center, Shanghai Institute of Ceramics, Chinese Academy of Sciences, 1295 Dingxi Road, Shanghai 200050, China
Acta Biomater 3:952-60. 2007Self-setting biomaterials are widely used for tissue repair and regeneration. Calcium sulfate hemihydrate has been used for many years as a self-setting biomaterial due to its good setting properties...
- Characterization of a novel calcium phosphate/sulphate bone cementM Nilsson
Research Centre in Biomedical Engineering, Biomaterials Division, Department of Materials Science and Metallurgy, Technological University of Catalonia UPC, Avda Diagonal 647, E 08028, Barcelona, Spain
J Biomed Mater Res 61:600-7. 2002..Observations in environmental scanning electron microscopy confirmed the X-ray diffraction results. CSH-crystals (100 microm) were embedded in the HA-matrix permitting gradual porosity in the material when resorbed...
- Building materials as intrinsic sources of sulphate: a hidden face of salt weathering of historical monuments investigated through multi-isotope tracing (B, O, S)W Kloppmann
BRGM, BP 6009, F 45060 Orléans cedex 2, France
Sci Total Environ 409:1658-69. 2011....
- Bone healing in critical-size defects treated with bioactive glass/calcium sulfate: a histologic and histometric study in rat calvariaFlávia A C Furlaneto
Division of Periodontics, Department of Surgery and Integrated Clinic, Dental School of Aracatuba, University of the State of São Paulo Júlio de Mesquita, Filho, UNESP, Brazil
Clin Oral Implants Res 18:311-8. 2007The purpose of this study was to analyze histologically the influence of bioactive glass (BG) with or without a calcium sulfate (CS) barrier on bone healing in surgically created critical-size defects (CSD) in rat calvaria.
- Medical grade calcium sulfate hemihydrate versus expanded polytetrafluoroethylene in the treatment of mandibular class II furcationsChristopher J Couri
University of Nebraska Medical Center, Lincoln, NE, USA
J Periodontol 73:1352-9. 2002..The current trends in therapy encourage the use of a bioabsorbable barrier. The efficacy of the bioabsorbable barrier needs to be equal to, if not better than, the non-absorbable barrier...
- Long-term clinical results on the use of bone-replacement grafts in the treatment of intrabony periodontal defects. Comparison of the use of autogenous bone graft plus calcium sulfate to autogenous bone graft covered with a bioabsorbable membraneMarco Orsini
Department of Periodontology, Faculty of Odontology, University Complutense Madrid, Madrid, Spain
J Periodontol 79:1630-7. 2008..this investigation was to evaluate the results obtained with the combination of autogenous bone grafting plus calcium sulfate and to compare this outcome with the results obtained using autogenous bone grafting with a bioabsorbable ..
- Comparison of three methods using calcium sulfate as a graft/barrier material for the treatment of Class II mandibular molar furcation defectsPeter Maragos
Department of Periodontics, School of Dentistry, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio, 44106 4905, USA
Int J Periodontics Restorative Dent 22:493-501. 2002The purpose of this study was to compare the effectiveness of three methods using calcium sulfate as a graft/barrier for the treatment of Class II mandibular furcation defects...
- Calcium sulfate and platelet-rich plasma make a novel osteoinductive biomaterial for bone regenerationGiuseppe Intini
Department of Oral Biology, University at Buffalo 109 Foster Hall, 3435 Main Street, Buffalo, NY 14214, USA
J Transl Med 5:13. 2007..Thus, we engineered CS-Platelet, a biomaterial based on the combination of Calcium Sulfate and Platelet-Rich Plasma in which Calcium Sulfate also acts as an activator of the platelets, therefore ..
- Synthesis and characterization of nanocrystalline calcium sulfate for use in osseous regenerationYoung Bum Park
Yonsei University College of Dentistry, Seodaemun gu, Seoul, Korea
Biomed Mater 6:055007. 2011Nanoparticles of calcium sulfate (nCS) have potential advantages as a ceramic matrix, scaffold and/or vehicle for delivering growth factors for osseous regeneration in a variety of clinical situations...
- Alveolar ridge preservation prior to implant placement with surgical-grade calcium sulfate and platelet-rich plasma: a pilot study in a canine modelBin Shi
Key Laboratory of Oral Biomedical Engineering of Ministry of Education, School of Stomatology, Wuhan University, Wuhan City, People s Republic of China
Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants 22:656-65. 2007To evaluate the combination of surgical-grade calcium sulfate (SGCS) and platelet-rich plasma (PRP) for alveolar ridge preservation prior to implant placement.
- The effect of demineralized bone matrix-calcium sulfate with vancomycin on calcaneal fracture healing and infection rates: a prospective studyChristopher Bibbo
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Marshfield Clinic, 1000 North Oak Avenue, WI 54449, USA
Foot Ankle Int 27:487-93. 2006..We hypothesized that human demineralized bone matrix (DBM) calcium sulfate (CaSO(4)) might act as a reasonable alternative to autograft in calcaneal fractures...
- The role of hyaluronic acid, chitosan, and calcium sulfate and their combined effect on early bony consolidation in distraction osteogenesis of a canine modelByung Chae Cho
Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, School of Medicine, Kyungpook National University, Taegu, Korea
J Craniofac Surg 13:783-93. 2002The purpose of this project was to study the effect of hyaluronic acid, calcium sulfate, and chitosan on early bony consolidation in distraction osteogenesis of a canine model. Sixteen dogs were used for this study...
- Preparation and properties of calcium phosphate cements incorporated gelatin microspheres and calcium sulfate dihydrate as controlled local drug delivery systemShu Cai
Key Laboratory for Advanced Ceramics and Machining Technology of Ministry of Education, Tianjin University, Tianjin 300072, People s Republic of China
J Mater Sci Mater Med 22:2487-96. 2011..be used as the substitute of bone repairing and drug carriers, cross-linked gelatin microspheres (GMs) and calcium sulfate dihydrate (CSD) powder were incorporated into calcium phosphate bone cement (CPC) to induce macropores, ..
- Elution behavior of daptomycin-loaded calcium sulfate pellets: a preliminary studyKelly C Richelsoph
Department of Biomedical Engineering, University of Memphis, Memphis, TN 38152 3210, USA
Clin Orthop Relat Res 461:68-73. 2007..b>Calcium sulfate dihydrate as a delivery vehicle is readily resorbable, allows new bone formation, and can be combined with ..
- Effect of a calcium sulfate implant with calcium sulfate barrier on periodontal healing in 3-wall intrabony defects in dogsC K Kim
Department of Periodontology, Research Institute for Periodontal Regeneration, College of Dentistry, Yonsei University, Seoul, Korea
J Periodontol 69:982-8. 1998..to evaluate outcome following surgical implantation of an allogeneic, freeze-dried demineralized bone matrix-calcium sulfate (DBM+CS) composite with a CS barrier in 3-wall intrabony periodontal defects in 4 dogs...
- Surgical treatment of periodontal intrabony defects with calcium sulfate implant and barrier versus collagen barrier or open flap debridement alone: a 12-month randomized controlled clinical trialMichele Paolantonio
Department of Periodontology, University G D Annunzio School of Dentistry, Chieti, Italy
J Periodontol 79:1886-93. 2008..controlled clinical trial was designed to compare the clinical outcomes of guided tissue regeneration with calcium sulfate graft and membrane (CS) versus guided tissue regeneration with collagen membrane (CM) or open flap ..
- Clinical evaluation of calcium sulfate in combination with demineralized freeze-dried bone allograft for the treatment of human intraosseous defectsMary E Aichelmann-Reidy
Department of Periodontics, University of Maryland, Baltimore, MD 21201, USA
J Periodontol 75:340-7. 2004Medical-grade calcium sulfate (CS) is a biocompatible, bioabsorbable, and clinically versatile ceramic for use in bone repair...
- Autogenous bone graft with or without a calcium sulfate barrier in the treatment of Class II furcation defects: a histologic and histometric study in dogsTatiana M Deliberador
Department of Surgery and Integrated Clinic, Dental School of Aracatuba, University of the State of São Paulo Júlio de Mesquita Filho, Aracatuba, Sao Paulo, Brazil
J Periodontol 77:780-9. 2006The purpose of this study was to histologically evaluate the healing of surgically created Class II furcation defects treated using an autogenous bone (AB) graft with or without a calcium sulfate (CS) barrier.
- Surgical treatment of periodontal intrabony defects with calcium sulphate in combination with beta-tricalcium phosphate: clinical observations two years post-surgerySujith Sukumar
Charles University in Prague, Faculty of Medicine, Department of Dentistry and University Hospital Hradec Králové, Czech Republic
Acta Medica (Hradec Kralove) 54:13-20. 2011..The study results show that the treatment with a combination of beta tricalcium phosphate and calcium sulphate led to a significantly favorable clinical improvement in periodontal intrabony defects 2 years after the surgery...
- Comparison of impression materials for direct multi-implant impressionsA G Wee
College of Dentistry, The Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio
J Prosthet Dent 83:323-31. 2000..Given that meticulous implant prosthodontic procedures are recommended to obtain the best possible intraoral fit, impression materials that are suitable for use with a direct impression technique warrant further investigation...
- Comparison of calcium sulfate and autogenous bone graft to bioabsorbable membranes plus autogenous bone graft in the treatment of intrabony periodontal defects: a split-mouth studyM Orsini
University of Complutense of Madrid, Spain
J Periodontol 72:296-302. 2001BACKGROUND: Current literature shows that calcium sulfate can be used in guided tissue regeneration. Its biocompatibility and resorbability give it significant advantages in the treatment of periodontal and endodontic defects...
- Percutaneous intramedullary decompression, curettage, and grafting with medical-grade calcium sulfate pellets for unicameral bone cysts in children: a new minimally invasive techniqueJohn P Dormans
Children s Hospital of Philadelphia, Wood Building, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
J Pediatr Orthop 25:804-11. 2005..with UBCs who underwent percutaneous intramedullary decompression, curettage, and grafting with medical-grade calcium sulfate (MGCS) pellets by the senior author (J.P.D...
- Effects of altered crystalline structure and increased initial compressive strength of calcium sulfate bone graft substitute pellets on new bone formationRobert M Urban
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Rush University Medical Center, Chicago, Ill, USA
Orthopedics 27:s113-8. 2004A new, modified calcium sulfate has been developed with a different crystalline structure and a compressive strength similar to many calcium phosphate materials, but with a resorption profile only slightly slower than conventional ..
- Maxillary sinus elevation for implant placement using calcium sulfate with and without DFDBA: six casesSebastiano Andreana
Department of Periodontology, School of Dental Medicine, SUNY at Buffalo, Buffalo, New York 14214, USA
Implant Dent 13:270-7. 2004..The purpose of this study was to present the clinical and histologic results of using calcium sulfate with and without demineralized freeze-dried bone allograft (DFDBA) in sinus lift...
- Treatment of tibial plateau fractures with high strength injectable calcium sulphateBaoqing Yu
Department of Orthopaedics, Changhai Hospital, Second Military Medical University, Shanghai, 200433, China
Int Orthop 33:1127-33. 2009..The use of MIIGX3 in the treatment of tibial plateau fractures provides adequate intraoperative stability and improves the safety of early knee motion...
- Augmentation of pedicle screw fixation strength using an injectable calcium sulfate cement: an in vivo studyXiaodong Yi
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Peking University First Hospital, Beijing, China
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 33:2503-9. 2008..An in vivo landrace model of cement augmentation of pedicle screw was established, and axial pull-out tests and histological analysis were performed...
- Evaluation of calcium sulfate paste for augmentation of lumbar pedicle screw pullout strengthMichael T Rohmiller
Vanderbilt University, Department of Orthopedics and Rehabilitation, Vanderbilt University Spine Center, Nashville, TN, USA
Spine J 2:255-60. 2002..b>Calcium sulfate is an alternative to PMMA, because it lacks the exothermic reaction, is potentially osteoconductive and is ..
- Osseous healing using injectable calcium sulfate-based putty for the delivery of demineralized bone matrix and cancellous bone chipsThomas M Turner
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Rush Presbyterian St Luke s Medical Center, Chicago, Ill, USA
Orthopedics 26:s571-5. 2003Three formulations of injectable calcium sulfate-based putties containing demineralized bone matrix (DBM), 50% DBM/50% cancellous bone (CB) chips, and 30% DBM/70% CB were studied in canines...
- Fabrication of calcium phosphate-calcium sulfate injectable bone substitute using hydroxy-propyl-methyl-cellulose and citric acidVan Viet Thai
Department of Biomedical Engineering and Materials, School of Medicine, Soonchunhyang University, 366 1 Ssangyoung dong, 330 090 Cheonan, Republic of Korea
J Mater Sci Mater Med 21:1867-74. 2010..HPMC) as the liquid phase and tetra calcium phosphate (TTCP), dicalcium phosphate dihydrate (DCPD) and calcium sulfate dehydrate (CSD, CaSO4 x 2H2O) powders as the solid phase, were fabricated...
- Injectable form of calcium sulphate as treatment of aneurysmal bone cystsMark Clayer
South Australian Musculoskeletal Tumour Unit, Adelaide, South Australia, Australia
ANZ J Surg 78:366-70. 2008..Percutaneous treatment of ABC have rarely been reported and a poor response the usual outcome. This study investigated a new technique of percutaneous aspiration and injection of ABC using an aqueous solution of calcium sulphate...
- Efficacy of calcium sulfate plus decompression bone in lumbar and lumbosacral spinal fusion: preliminary results in 40 patientsD I Alexander
Division of Orthopaedic Surgery, Dalhousie University, Halifax, NS
Can J Surg 44:262-6. 2001OBJECTIVE: To compare the efficacy of calcium sulfate pellets plus bone obtained from decompression with fresh autologous iliac crest bone in lumbar and lumbosacral spinal fusion with decompression...
- Study on injectable and degradable cement of calcium sulphate and calcium phosphate for bone repairGangfeng Hu
The First People s Hospital of Xiaoshang, Hangzhou, 311201, China
J Mater Sci Mater Med 21:627-34. 2010..It can be concluded that the injectable CSPC had a significant clinical advantage over CPC, and might have potential to be applied in orthopedic, reconstructive and maxillofacial surgery, especially for minimally invasive techniques...
- Increased bone formation using calcium sulfate-calcium phosphate composite graftRobert M Urban
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Rush University Medical Center, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
Clin Orthop Relat Res 459:110-7. 2007Calcium phosphates (CaPO4) and faster-resorbing calcium sulfate (CaSO4) are successfully employed as synthetic bone grafts for treatment of contained defects...
- Magnesium-enriched hydroxyapatite compared to calcium sulfate in the healing of human extraction sockets: radiographic and histomorphometric evaluation at 3 monthsRoberto Crespi
Department of Dentistry, Vita Salute University, San Raffaele Hospital, Milan, Italy
J Periodontol 80:210-8. 2009..The aim of this study was to compare radiographic and histomorphometric results of magnesium-enriched hydroxyapatite (MHA) and calcium sulfate (CS) grafts in fresh sockets after tooth extractions.
- Biomechanical evaluation of kyphoplasty with calcium sulfate cement in a cadaveric osteoporotic vertebral compression fracture modelAndrew Perry
Veterans Administration and University of California, San Diego, 3350 La Jolla Village Drive, San Diego, CA 92161, USA
Spine J 5:489-93. 2005..PMMA has several disadvantages such as potential thermal necrosis and monomer toxicity. Calcium sulfate cement (CSC) is nontoxic, osteoconductive, and bioabsorbable.
- Bone healing in surgically created defects treated with either bioactive glass particles, a calcium sulfate barrier, or a combination of both materials. A histological and histometric study in rat tibiasLuiz G N Melo
Division of Periodontics, Department of Surgery and Integrated Clinic, Dental School of Aracatuba, University of State of São Paulo Júlio de Mesquita Filho UNESP, Aracatuba, Brazil
Clin Oral Implants Res 16:683-91. 2005The purpose of this study was to histologically analyze the influence of bioactive glass and/or a calcium sulfate barrier on bone healing in surgically created defects in rat tibias.
- Maxillary sinus augmentation using prehardened calcium sulfate: a case reportRenzo Guarnieri
Group for Implant Research, Vittorio Veneto, TV, Italy
Int J Periodontics Restorative Dent 22:503-8. 2002Prehardened medical-grade calcium sulfate hemihydrate was placed as a grafting material for sinus floor elevation in the left posterior maxilla...
- Bone regeneration with calcium sulfate: evidence for increased angiogenesis in rabbitsRita Strocchi
Dental School of the University of Chieti, Italy
J Oral Implantol 28:273-8. 2002..b>Calcium sulfate (CS) is a well-tolerated, biodegradable, osteoconductive bone graft substitute and is a reasonable ..
- A novel injectable poly(epsilon-caprolactone)/calcium sulfate system for bone regeneration: synthesis and characterizationAnnalisa La Gatta
Department of Experimental Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Second University of Naples, Via L De Crecchio 7, 80138 Naples, Italy
Macromol Biosci 5:1108-17. 2005A novel poly(epsilon-caprolactone)/calcium sulfate system was prepared and characterized in order to enhance calcium sulfate (gypsum) performance as bone graft substitute overcoming its brittleness and fast resorption rate...
- Daptomycin eluted from calcium sulfate appears effective against StaphylococcusNathan D Webb
University of Memphis, Memphis, TN, USA
Clin Orthop Relat Res 466:1383-7. 2008..We determined whether daptomycin eluted from calcium sulfate-a local delivery vehicle used for the treatment of osteomyelitis-retained activity against Gram-positive ..
- Augmentation of the maxillary sinus with calcium sulfate: one-year clinical report from a prospective longitudinal studyD De Leonardis
Department of Surgery, University of Miami, School of Medicine, Florida, USA
Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants 14:869-78. 1999..was to evaluate the clinical and histologic results of a sinus augmentation procedure performed using calcium sulfate as the grafting material. A group of 12 patients (15 sinuses) formed the pilot group...
- In vitro antimicrobial activity of calcium sulfate and hydroxyapatite (Cerament Bone Void Filler) discs using heat-sensitive and non-heat-sensitive antibiotics against methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus and Pseudomonas aeruginosaJeffrey C Karr
Lakeland Regional Medical Center, Lakeland, FL 33813, USA
J Am Podiatr Med Assoc 101:146-52. 2011..The calcium sulfate and hydroxyapatite Cerament Bone Void Filler is a biocompatible, absorbable ceramic bone void filler that can ..
- In vivo evaluation of calcium sulfate as a bone graft substitute for lumbar spinal fusionP A Glazer
Boston Orthopedic Group, 1269 Beacon Street, Brookline, MA 02446, USA
Spine J 1:395-401. 2001..Bone substitutes have been proposed to augment or replace autologous bone for spinal surgery. Calcium sulfate offers high porosity, osteoconductivity, and high resorption rate...
- Fabrication of calcium phosphate-calcium sulfate injectable bone substitute using chitosan and citric acidHo Yeon Song
Department of Microbiology, School of Medicine, Soonchunhyang University, 366 1 Ssangyoung dong, Cheonan City, Chungnam, 330 090, South Korea
J Mater Sci Mater Med 20:935-41. 2009..solution as the liquid phase and tetra calcium phosphate (TTCP), dicalcium phosphate anhydrous (DCPA) and calcium sulfate hemihydrate (CSH) powders as the solid phase was prepared...
- Platelet-derived growth factor enhancement of two alloplastic bone matricesJeremy Bateman
School of Dental Medicine, University at Buffalo, State University of New York, Buffalo, NY, USA
J Periodontol 76:1833-41. 2005..The aim of these studies was to treat beta-tricalcium phosphate (beta-TCP) and calcium sulfate (CaSO(4)) with platelet-derived growth factor (PDGF)-BB to enhance the osteogenic capabilities of these ..
- Maxillary sinus augmentation using granular calcium sulfate (surgiplaster sinus): radiographic and histologic study at 2 yearsRenzo Guarnieri
Department of Periodontology, University of Bari, Italy
Int J Periodontics Restorative Dent 26:79-85. 2006..the present investigation was to evaluate the radiographic and histologic results when granular medical-grade calcium sulfate hemihydrate was used as a grafting material in sinuses...
- Treatment of benign bone lesions with an injectable calcium sulfate-based bone graft substituteCynthia M Kelly
Institute for Limb Preservation at Presbyterian St Luke s Medical Center, Denver, Colo, USA
Orthopedics 27:s131-5. 2004..b>Calcium sulfate has a long-standing history in the treatment of bone voids secondary to trauma, infection, or neoplastic ..
- Engineering a bioactive matrix by modifications of calcium sulfateGiuseppe Intini
Department of Oral Biology, School of Dental Medicine, University at Buffalo, State University of New York, Buffalo, New York 14214, USA
Tissue Eng 8:997-1008. 2002..was that a composite graft could be engineered by the absorption of platelet-rich plasma (PRP) onto calcium sulfate (CS)...
- Prospective study on the augmentation of the maxillary sinus with calcium sulfate: histological resultsD De Leonardis
Department of Surgery, University of Miami, School of Medicine, FL, USA
J Periodontol 71:940-7. 2000..The ideal graft material is yet to be found. The present study investigated the histologic results of a sinus augmentation procedure performed with calcium sulfate as the grafting material.
- Experimental model: dye penetration of extensive interim restorations used during endodontic treatment while under load in a multiple axis chewing simulatorArna Lee Jensen
School of Dentistry, University of Western Australia, Nedlands, Western Australia, Australia
J Endod 33:1243-6. 2007..The dye penetration in the Ketac-Fil Plus and Ketac-Silver specimens was not predictable, and the results suggested Cavit and Z100 composite resin require further investigations as potentially useful materials for this purpose...
- Computer aided analysis of digitized dental stone replicas by dental CAD/CAM technologyAnna S K Persson
Institute of Odontology, Karolinska Institutet, Huddinge, Sweden
Dent Mater 24:1123-30. 2008..To determine the reproducibility of digitized dental stone replicas compared to the master model and the reliability of the computer aided analysis...
- A comparison of dimensional accuracy between three different addition cured silicone impression materialsL Forrester-Baker
Eur J Prosthodont Restor Dent 13:69-74. 2005..Thus, any change in measured dimensions occurring during impression making, was compensated for in some way by the casting process...
- Accuracy and stability of impression materials subjected to chemical disinfection - a literature reviewE Kotsiomiti
Department of Removable Prosthodontics, The Dental School, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Thessaloniki, Greece
J Oral Rehabil 35:291-9. 2008..The overall effect of the disinfection is influenced not only by the changes experienced by the impression per se, but also by the alterations of the acrylic tray containing the impression and of the gypsum product poured in it...
- Effect of storage period of alginate impressions following spray with disinfectant solutions on the dimensional accuracy and deformation of stone modelsHisako Hiraguchi
Department of Dental Materials, Nihon University School of Dentistry, Tokyo, Japan
Dent Mater J 24:36-42. 2005....
- Effect of subgingival depth of implant placement on the dimensional accuracy of the implant impression: an in vitro studyHeeje Lee
Department of Prosthodontics, Louisiana State University School of Dentistry, New Orleans, LA 70119, USA
J Prosthet Dent 99:107-13. 2008..PURPOSE.: The purpose of this study was to evaluate the effect of subgingival depth of implant placement on the accuracy of implant impressions...
- Self-setting properties and in vitro bioactivity of Ca3SiO5/CaSO4.1/2H2O composite cementWenyuan Zhao
Shanghai Institute of Ceramics, Chinese Academy of Sciences, 1295 Dingxi Road, Shanghai 200050, People s Republic of China
J Biomed Mater Res A 85:336-44. 2008..1/2H(2)O paste was bioactive and degradable, and showed excellent mechanical properties after self-setting. Therefore, it may be a potential candidate for further investigation as injectable tissue repairing substitute...
- Clinical wear of posterior metal-free polymer crowns. One-year results from a randomized clinical trialBrigitte Ohlmann
Department of Prosthodontics, University of Heidelberg, Im Neuenheimer Feld 400, 69120 Heidelberg, Germany
J Dent 35:246-52. 2007..The purpose of this randomized clinical trial was to evaluate the clinical wear behavior of posterior, metal-free polymer crowns, with and without a glass-fiber framework, and to compare it with that of metal-ceramic crowns...
- The effect of adding a stone base on the accuracy of working casts using different types of dental stoneKhalid Al-Abidi
College of Dentistry at King Faisal University in Dammam, Saudi Arabia
J Contemp Dent Pract 7:17-28. 2006..The aim of this study was to determine the effect on the dimensional accuracy of a working cast of adding a stone base using different stone products...
- Transformation of 3DP gypsum model to HA by treating in ammonium phosphate solutionRungnapa Lowmunkong
Division of Oromaxillofacial Regeneration, Course for Integrated Oral Sciences and Stomatology, Osaka University Graduate School of Dentistry, Yamadaoka, l 8 Suita, Osaka 565 0871, Japan
J Biomed Mater Res B Appl Biomater 80:386-93. 2007..To insolubilize, it was heated at 300 degrees C for 10 min, and then, gypsum was transformed to calcium sulfate hemihydrate, CaSO(4) x 0.5H(2)O...
- The effect of disinfection on irreversible hydrocolloid and type III gypsum castsSyed Mohammed Aun Hussain
University College London, Eastman Dental Institute
Eur J Prosthodont Restor Dent 14:50-4. 2006..Perform ID and Dimenol both significantly affect the hardness of poured type III gypsum casts while ImpressiV did not...
- A quality assessment of the casting process on magnetic keepersHenry W K Luk
Faculty of Dentistry, The University of Hong Kong, China
J Prosthodont 16:249-54. 2007..The objective of this study was to qualitatively investigate the effect of the burn-out (mold) temperature, investment material, and casting alloy on the surface integrity of the Magfit EX keeper...
- Surface detail, compressive strength, and dimensional accuracy of gypsum casts after repeated immersion in hypochlorite solutionMohammed Aleem Abdullah
Department of Prosthetic Dental Sciences, College of Dentistry, King Saud University, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
J Prosthet Dent 95:462-8. 2006..One method used to disinfect a dental cast is immersion in a disinfecting solution. Repeated immersion of a cast in disinfectant may affect surface detail as well as other physical properties...
- Heat transfer of impression plasters to an implant-bone interfaceJoseph Nissan
Department of Prosthetic Dentistry, The Maurice and Gabriela Goldschleger School of Dental Medicine, Tel Aviv University, Tel Aviv, Israel
Implant Dent 15:83-8. 2006..The purpose of this in vitro study was to measure heat generated at the implant-bone interface caused by exothermic setting reaction of 2 impression plasters...
- Over-refractory casting technique as an alternative to one-piece multi-unit fixed partial denture frameworksGiovani de Oliveira Correa
Department of Restorative Dentistry, Piracicaba School of Dentistry, State University of Campinas, UNICAMP, Sao Paulo, Brazil
J Prosthet Dent 95:243-8. 2006..Soldering has been suggested to achieve acceptable fit of multi-unit fixed partial denture (FPD) frameworks of 3 or more elements. However, distortion of the entire framework may occur...
- Pre- and post-set hydrophilicity of elastomeric impression materialsKonstantinos X Michalakis
Division of Graduate and Postgraduate Prosthodontics, Tufts University, School of Dental Medicine, Boston, MA, USA
J Prosthodont 16:238-48. 2007....
- Making fixed prostheses that are not too highGordon J Christensen
Clinical Research Associates, Provo, Utah 84604, USA
J Am Dent Assoc 137:96-8. 2006..quot; This article suggests methods to create accurate alginate impressions, opposing casts and IORs. If dentists use these techniques, it is anticipated that fewer FPDs will be too high as dentists attempt to seat them in the mouth...
- Dimensional accuracy of a new polyether impression materialTatsuo Endo
Division of Operative Dentistry, Department of Restorative Dentistry, Tohoku University Graduate School of Dentistry, Japan
Quintessence Int 37:47-51. 2006..The purpose of this study was to evaluate the dimensional accuracy of stone dies produced from standardized impressions with 1 new and 1 conventional polyether impression material and a polyvinyl siloxane reference material...
- The wetting of surface-treated silicone impression materials by gypsum mixes containing disinfectants and modifiersKhalid M Abdelaziz
Mansoura University, Faculty of Dentistry, Egypt
J Prosthodont 14:104-9. 2005..This work evaluated wettability of silicone impression surfaces by gypsum mixes containing disinfectants...
- The effect of storage time on the accuracy and dimensional stability of reversible hydrocolloid impression materialP E Schleier
School of Dentistry, The Medical College of Georgia, Augusta, GA 30912-1260, USA
J Prosthet Dent 86:244-50. 2001....
- Calcium Sulfate Based Bioactive Bone GraftHarold Alexander; Fiscal Year: 2009..b>Calcium sulfate works quite well as a bone regeneration material...
- Local Modulation of Inflammation to Heal Cranial-facial Bone DefectsKATHRYN ELIZABETH UHRICH; Fiscal Year: 2012..of salicylic acid (PolyAspirin) to inhibit cyclooxygenase and a 5-lipoxygenase inhibitor within a calcium sulfate carrier and calcium phosphate scaffold to promote osteogenesis...
- INJECTABLE CALCIUM SULFATE MICROSPHERES FOR PROTEINSLarry Nichols; Fiscal Year: 2000BIOTEK has developed a new process which uses calcium sulfate to make injectable biodegradable microspheres and microcapsules well suited for depot delivery of water soluble drugs such as peptides and proteins...
- Multiphasic Calcium Sulfate Bone Repair MaterialHarold Alexander; Fiscal Year: 2004This project evaluates the feasibility of a new multiphasic, composite bone repair material composed of calcium sulfate (CS) particulate, protected from rapid degradation by an absorbable polymer either coated on, or within, a CS matrix...
- BIODEGRADABLE CEMENT COMPOSITES FOR BONE REPAIRGREGORY KHARAS; Fiscal Year: 1999..The study of the composites will use synthetic fumarate polyesters and an inorganic filler, calcium sulfate, as major components...
- Molecular Imprinting to Control Cell ResponsesDavid Puleo; Fiscal Year: 2004..By promoting desired cell activities, biospecific biomaterials can control initial events at the cell-biomaterial interface. ..
- Biomaterials with Rationally Immobilized Growth FactorsDavid Puleo; Fiscal Year: 2006..The findings of these studies will impact the development of bone-contacting biomaterials having the ability to induce desired interracial responses. ..
- Devices for Treating Inflammatory Bone Loss in an Oral EnvironmentDavid A Puleo; Fiscal Year: 2010..This project will develop multifunctional, unitary, controlled release devices that halt the detrimental processes and stimulate localized tissue repair in sites compromised by bacteria. ..
- Human Sensory Irritation From Volitile Organic CompoundsWilliam Cain; Fiscal Year: 2006..F) The effect of inflammation upon chemesthetic sensitivity. G) Through measurement of the NMP, confirmation of the peripheral basis for a) temporal phenomena, b) differences in potency, and c) effects of inflammation. ..
- PHYSICAL MECHANISMS OF TISSUE DAMAGE IN SWLJames McAteer; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- VIRTUAL DENTAL PATIENTRalph DeLong; Fiscal Year: 2001..In light of these developments, an authenticated VDP seems not only possible and beneficial, but inevitable and of high program relevance. ..
- AFRICAN-AMERICANS, HYPERTENSION AND LEAD EXPOSUREAndrew Todd; Fiscal Year: 2001..Participants in AASK undergo extensive and comprehensive measurements of renal function; no previous study of lead exposure and renal disease has utilized such a sensitive marker of renal function ..