Genomes and Genes
Summary: A salt used to replenish calcium levels, as an acid-producing diuretic, and as an antidote for magnesium poisoning.
Publications247 found, 100 shown here
- Real-time monitoring of calcineurin activity in living cells: evidence for two distinct Ca2+-dependent pathways in fission yeastLu Deng
Division of Molecular Pharmacology and Pharmacogenomics, Department of Genome Sciences, Kobe University Graduate School of Medicine, Kobe 650 0017, Japan
Mol Biol Cell 17:4790-800. 2006....
- Adventitial mast cells contribute to pathogenesis in the progression of abdominal aortic aneurysmToshihiro Tsuruda
Department of Internal Medicine, Circulatory and Body Fluid Regulation, Faculty of Medicine, University of Miyazaki 5200 Kihara Kiyotake, Miyazaki 889 1692, Japan
Circ Res 102:1368-77. 2008..Aneurysmal dilatation of the aorta was seen in the control (+/+) rats following periaortic application of calcium chloride (CaCl2) treatment but not in the mast cell-deficient mutant Ws/Ws rats...
- Elastin degradation and calcification in an abdominal aorta injury model: role of matrix metalloproteinasesDina M Basalyga
Department of Bioengineering, Clemson University, Clemson, SC 29634, USA
Circulation 110:3480-7. 2004..We hypothesized that matrix metalloproteinase (MMP)-mediated vascular remodeling plays a significant role in elastin calcification...
- Murine aortic aneurysm produced by periarterial application of calcium chlorideA C Chiou
Division of Vascular Surgery, Northwestern University Medical School, Chicago, IL 60611, USA
J Surg Res 99:371-6. 2001A murine abdominal aortic aneurysm model was developed by applying calcium chloride periarterially. A 13.6 mEq/10 ml calcium chloride solution was applied to the abdominal aorta of nine mice...
- Sealing ability of MTA and radiopaque Portland cement with or without calcium chloride for root-end fillingEduardo Antunes Bortoluzzi
Department of Endodontics, Bauru Dental School, University of Sao Paulo, Bauru, Sao Paulo, Brazil
J Endod 32:897-900. 2006The aim of this study was to evaluate the influence of calcium chloride (CaCl(2)) on the sealing ability of three Mineral Trioxide Aggregate (MTA) cements, ProRoot MTA, MTA-Angelus, and radiopaque White Portland cement (WPC), for ..
- Functional, morphological and molecular characterization of bladder dysfunction in streptozotocin-induced diabetic mice: evidence of a role for L-type voltage-operated Ca2+ channelsL O S Leiria
Department of Pharmacology, Faculty of Medical Sciences, University of Campinas UNICAMP, Campinas, SP, Brazil
Br J Pharmacol 163:1276-88. 2011....
- The calcium chloride-induced rodent model of abdominal aortic aneurysmYutang Wang
The Vascular Biology Unit, Queensland Research Centre for Peripheral Vascular Disease, School of Medicine and Dentistry, James Cook University, Townsville, Queensland 4811, Australia
Atherosclerosis 226:29-39. 2013..One animal model of AAA involves peri-vascular application of calcium chloride (CaCl(2)) onto the infra-renal aorta of mice and rats to induce extracellular matrix remodelling...
- Interactive role of nitric oxide and calcium chloride in enhancing tolerance to salt stressM Nasir Khan
Department of Biology, Faculty of Science, University of Tabuk, Tabuk 71491, Saudi Arabia
Nitric Oxide 27:210-8. 2012..present work was undertaken to investigate the role of nitric oxide donor sodium nitroprusside (SNP) and/or calcium chloride (CaCl(2)) in the tolerance of excised mustard leaves to salt stress...
- The influence of calcium chloride on the setting time, solubility, disintegration, and pH of mineral trioxide aggregate and white Portland cement with a radiopacifierEduardo Antunes Bortoluzzi
Dental School, Federal University of Santa Catarina, Florianopolis, Santa Catarina, Brazil
J Endod 35:550-4. 2009This study evaluated the influence of addition of 10% calcium chloride (CaCl(2)) on the setting time, solubility, disintegration, and pH of white MTA (WMTA) and white Portland cement (WPC)...
- A novel rat model of abdominal aortic aneurysm using a combination of intraluminal elastase infusion and extraluminal calcium chloride exposureAkiko Tanaka
Department of Surgery, Division of Cardiovascular Surgery, Kobe University Graduate School of Medicine, Kobe, Japan
J Vasc Surg 50:1423-32. 2009..An ideal animal model of abdominal aortic aneurysm (AAA) is of great importance for clarifying unknown complex mechanisms of the pathogenesis. We introduce a new, simple technique to create reliable AAAs that simulate human aneurysms...
- Mineral trioxide aggregate and Portland cement promote biomineralization in vivoLuonothar Antunes Schmitt Dreger
Postgraduate Program, School of Dentistry, Federal University of Santa Catarina, Florianopolis, Santa Catarina, Brazil
J Endod 38:324-9. 2012..This study analyzed the interaction of MTA and white Portland cement with dentin in vivo...
- Treatment with simvastatin inhibits the formation of abdominal aortic aneurysms in rabbitsSotiria T Mastoraki
Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, University of Athens School of Medicine, Attikon Hospital, Athens, Greece
Ann Vasc Surg 26:250-8. 2012..The aim of this study was to determine whether treatment with simvastatin can influence the development of experimental aortic aneurysms in a rabbit model...
- A case report of bilateral mandibular vertical guided bone regeneration with and without bovine thrombin/calcium chloride activated platelet-rich plasmaFederico Brugnami
Department of Experimental Medicine and Pathology, Section of Pathology, University La Sapienza, Rome
J Oral Implantol 37:73-9. 2011..Similar results were obtained in this case in vertical bone regeneration with and without bovine thrombin/calcium chloride activated PRP applied to GBR techniques.
- The effect of calcium chloride on growth, photosynthesis, and antioxidant responses of Zoysia japonica under drought conditionsChengbin Xu
School of Environmental Science, Liaoning University, Shenyang, China
PLoS ONE 8:e68214. 2013..b>Calcium chloride has been shown to ameliorate the adverse effects of drought stress on many plants...
- Evaluation of the antidysrhythmic effects of delta- and kappa-opioid receptor agonists and antagonists on calcium chloride-, adrenaline- and ischemia/reperfusion-induced arrhythmias in ratsA Valtchanova-Matchouganska
Department of Pharmacology, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Durban Westville, Durban, South Africa
Methods Find Exp Clin Pharmacol 26:31-8. 2004..Different models of arrhythmia (calcium chloride [CaCl(2)]-, adrenaline-, and ischemia/reperfusion-induced arrhythmias) were employed...
- Microleakage of accelerated mineral trioxide aggregate and Portland cement in an in vitro apexification modelSeong Tae Hong
Department of Conservative Dentistry, School of Dentistry and Dental Research Institute, Seoul National University, Jongno gu, Seoul, Korea
J Endod 34:56-8. 2008..The results imply that the addition of accelerator into MTA or Portland cement can be useful in a one-visit apexification by reducing microleakage even in an early setting time...
- Internal Ca(2+) release in yeast is triggered by hypertonic shock and mediated by a TRP channel homologueValerie Denis
Department of Biological Sciences, Stanford University, Stanford, CA 94305, USA
J Cell Biol 156:29-34. 2002..These studies reveal a novel mechanism of internal Ca(2+) release and establish a new function for TRP channels...
- CaCl2 improves post-drought recovery potential in Camellia sinensis (L) O. KuntzeHrishikesh Upadhyaya
Plant Biochemistry and Molecular Biology Laboratory, School of Life Sciences, Assam Central University, Silchar 788011, India
Plant Cell Rep 30:495-503. 2011....
- Comparative hemodynamic effects of levosimendan alone and in conjunction with 4-aminopyridine or calcium chloride in a rodent model of severe verapamil poisoningAndis Graudins
Clinical and Experimental Toxicology Unit, Department of Emergency Medicine, Prince of Wales Hospital, Randwick, NSW, Australia
J Med Toxicol 6:85-93. 2010..The hypotensive effects of levosimendan were not overcome by coadministration of either 4-AP or CaCl₂. Levosimendan may not be an appropriate agent to use in the treatment of verapamil poisoning...
- Calcium chloride and sodium phosphate in neonatal parenteral nutrition containing TrophAmine: precipitation studies and aluminum contentEvelyn A Migaki
Providence St Vincent Medical Center, Portland, Oregon 97225, USA
JPEN J Parenter Enteral Nutr 36:470-5. 2012The objectives were to determine concentrations of calcium chloride (CaCl) and sodium phosphate (NaPhos) that can be safely added to TrophAmine-based parenteral nutrition (PN) and to measure aluminum (Al) concentrations in PN solutions ..
- Chorda tympani nerve modulates the rat's avoidance of calcium chlorideGlen J Golden
Monell Chemical Senses Center, 3500 Market Street, Philadelphia, PA, USA
Physiol Behav 105:1214-8. 2012..about oral calcium is conveyed to the brain, we examined the effects of chorda tympani nerve transection on calcium chloride (CaCl(2)) taste preferences and thresholds in male Wistar rats...
- Assessment of single extraction methods for the prediction of bioavailability of metals to Brassica juncea L. Czern. (var. Vaibhav) grown on tannery waste contaminated soilAmit K Gupta
Ecotoxicology and Bioremediation, National Botanical Research Institute, Lucknow 226001, India
J Hazard Mater 149:144-50. 2007..Overall, extraction capacity and cluster analysis augmented that EDTA was found suitable extractant for tannery wastewater contaminated soil to B. juncea...
- Usefulness of high-concentration calcium chloride solution for correction of activated partial thromboplastin time (APTT) in patients with high-hematocrit valueMasaaki Kanahara
Department of Laboratory Medicine, Kurume University Hospital, Kurume, Japan
Thromb Res 121:781-5. 2008..However, the CLSI method needs repeated blood drawings and time-consuming, complicate procedures. Thus, alternative simple method is desired...
- A comparative study of using a combination of calcium chloride and mineral trioxide aggregate as the pulp-capping agent on dogs' teethMasoud Parirokh
Oral and Dental Diseases Research Center, Kerman University of Medical Sciences, Kerman, Iran
J Endod 37:786-8. 2011..The addition of some chemicals to mineral trioxide aggregate (MTA) may improve the physical properties of the biomaterial. The aim of this study was to compare a combination of MTA with/without CaCl(2) as pulp-capping agents in dogs' teeth...
- Optimization of microwave-assisted calcium chloride pretreatment of corn stoverHongqiang Li
National Key Laboratory of Biochemical Engineering, Institute of Process Engineering, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beiertiao 1, Zhongguancun, Beijing 100190, PR China
Bioresour Technol 127:112-8. 2013..66% and glucose recovery was 65.47%. This novel process achieved the temperature of about 160 °C necessary for lignocellulose pretreatment under atmospheric pressure using the cheap calcium chloride as the heating medium.
- Calcium chloride before i.v. diltiazem in the management of atrial fibrillationTom Kolkebeck
959th Surgical Operations Squadron, Wilford Hall Medical Center, San Antonio, Texas, USA
J Emerg Med 26:395-400. 2004..This hypotension may complicate therapy. Our objective was to determine if calcium chloride (CaCl(2)) pre-treatment would blunt a SBP drop after i.v...
- Elastin stabilization for treatment of abdominal aortic aneurysmsJason C Isenburg
Department of Bioengineering, Clemson University, Clemson, SC 29634, USA
Circulation 115:1729-37. 2007..We hypothesized that in vivo stabilization of aortic elastin with pentagalloyl glucose (PGG), an elastin-binding polyphenol, would interfere with AAA development...
- Calcium deprivation increases the palatability of calcium solutions in ratsStuart A McCaughey
Monell Chemical Senses Center, 3500 Market St, Philadelphia, PA 19104 3308, USA
Physiol Behav 84:335-42. 2005....
- Mineral Trioxide Aggregate with or without Calcium Chloride in PulpotomyEduardo Antunes Bortoluzzi
Department of Endodontics, School of Dentistry, Federal University of Santa Catarina, Florianopolis, Santa Catarina, Brazil
J Endod 34:172-5. 2008..was to evaluate the reaction of the pulp tissue against mineral trioxide aggregate (MTA) with or without 10% calcium chloride (CaCl(2)). Pulpotomies were performed in 4 canines and 8 premolars of two 8-month-old dogs...
- Dose-dependent response to an intratesticular injection of calcium chloride for induction of chemosterilization in adult albino ratsK Jana
Reproductive Endocrinology and Family Welfare Research Unit, Department of Human Physiology with Community Health, Vidyasagar University, West Bengal, India
Vet Res Commun 26:651-73. 2002This study concerned the minimum and optimum effective doses of calcium chloride needed for induction of chemosterilization in male albino rats, 30 days after a single intratesticular injection of calcium chloride (CaCl2...
- A solution NMR investigation into the early events of amelogenin nanosphere self-assembly initiated with sodium chloride or calcium chlorideGarry W Buchko
Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, Washington, USA
Biochemistry 47:13215-22. 2008..early events governing amelogenin supramolecular self-assembly have been identified using sodium chloride and calcium chloride to trigger the association...
- Sterilization of male stray dogs with a single intratesticular injection of calcium chloride: a dose-dependent studyKuladip Jana
Department of Veterinary Surgery and Radiology, West Bengal University of Animal and Fishery Sciences, Kolkata, West Bengal 700 078, India
Contraception 75:390-400. 2007..To study a method of chemical sterilization and its efficacy in adult male stray dogs...
- Evaluation of single intratesticular injection of calcium chloride for nonsurgical sterilization of male Black Bengal goats (Capra hircus): a dose-dependent studyKuladip Jana
Department of Veterinary Surgery and Radiology, West Bengal University of Animal and Fishery Sciences, 64 1 14 Belgachia Road Milk Colony, 37 and 68 K B Sarani, Calcutta 700037, West Bengal, India
Anim Reprod Sci 86:89-108. 2005..each of six adult male Black Bengal goats at 30 days after a single bilateral intratesticular injection of a calcium chloride (CaCl(2), 2H(2)O) solution at the doses of 10, 20 or 40 mg/kg body weight/testis, always in a 2 ml volume of ..
- Influence of calcium chloride and aprotinin in the in vivo biological performance of a composite combining biphasic calcium phosphate granules and fibrin sealantLaurent Le Guehennec
INSERM, EMI 9903 Materials of Biological Interest, Nantes University, Dental Faculty, Place A Ricordeau, BP 84215, 44042 Nantes Cedex, France
J Mater Sci Mater Med 18:1489-95. 2007..Two components, calcium chloride and antifibrinolytic agents (aprotinin), are essential for the stability of the fibrin clot...
- Evaluation of single intratesticular injection of calcium chloride for nonsurgical sterilization in adult albino ratsKuladip Jana
Department of Veterinary Surgery and Radiology, West Bengal University of Animal and Fishery Sciences, Calcutta 700 037, West Bengal, India
Contraception 73:289-300. 2006..To investigate a method of chemical sterilization and its efficacy in adult albino rats...
- Controlled study of citrate effects and response to i.v. calcium administration during allogeneic peripheral blood progenitor cell donationCharles D Bolan
Department of Transfusion Medicine, Warren Grant Magnuson Clinical Center, Hematology Branch, National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute, NIH, Bethesda, MD 20892 1184, USA
Transfusion 42:935-46. 2002..However, neither the metabolic effects nor the management of associated symptoms have been critically evaluated during leukapheresis in healthy donors...
- Calcium chloride penetrates plant cuticles via aqueous poresJ Schönherr
Abteilung Obstbau, Institut für Gemüse und Obstbau, Universitat Hannover, Sarstedt, Germany
Planta 212:112-8. 2000Penetration of calcium chloride across astomatous cuticular membranes (CMs) isolated from leaves of Pyrus communis L. has been studied...
- Safety and efficacy of regional citrate anticoagulation during 8-hour sustained low-efficiency dialysisJohn A Clark
Division of Nephrology and Hypertension, Department of Medicine, Vanderbilt University, Nashville, TN 37232, USA
Clin J Am Soc Nephrol 3:736-42. 2008..A safe and simple "regional" anticoagulation strategy would be beneficial. The modification of existing regional citrate anticoagulation protocols to typically performed 8-h sustained low-efficiency dialysis is necessary...
- Mechanisms underlying vasorelaxant action of astragaloside IV in isolated rat aortic ringsChuan Zhang
Department of Natural Medicinal Chemistry, School of Pharmacy, Second Military Medical University, China
Clin Exp Pharmacol Physiol 34:387-92. 2007..The endothelium-dependent vessel dilation of astragaloside IV was attributed mainly to the endothelium-dependent NO-cGMP pathway...
- The effects of calcium chloride and sodium chloride on the electroporation-mediated skin permeation of fluorescein isothiocyanate (FITC)-dextrans in vitroYoshihiro Tokudome
Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Josai University, Japan
Biol Pharm Bull 26:1508-10. 2003..The present finding suggests that electroporation application in the presence of electrolytes, particularly CaCl(2), was very effective in increasing transdermal delivery of water-soluble macromolecules...
- Calcinosis cutis following calcium chloride electrode paste application for auditory-brainstem evoked potentials recordingL Puig
Department of Dermatology, Hospital de la Santa Creu i Sant Pau, Barcelona, Spain
Pediatr Dermatol 15:27-30. 1998..studies at sites of electrode placement following application of an electrode paste containing calcium chloride. Prolonged exposure and skin microabrasions seem to increase the risk of this rare complication of electrode ..
- The effect of calcium chloride in treating hyperkalemia due to acute digoxin toxicity in a porcine modelJason B Hack
Division of Toxicology, Department of Emergency Medicine, The Brody School of Medicine, East Carolina University, Greenville, North Carolina, USA
J Toxicol Clin Toxicol 42:337-42. 2004....
- Continuous calcium chloride infusion for massive nifedipine overdoseY M Lam
Division of Cardiology, Department of Medicine, University of Hong Kong, Queen Mary Hospital, Hong Kong, China
Chest 119:1280-2. 2001....
- Biomineralization ability and interaction of mineral trioxide aggregate and white portland cement with dentin in a phosphate-containing fluidJessie F Reyes-Carmona
Postgraduate program of the Federal University of Santa Catarina, Florianopolis, Santa Catarina, Brazil
J Endod 35:731-6. 2009..This study analyzed the interaction of MTA and white Portland cement with dentin after immersion in phosphate-buffered saline (PBS)...
- Calcium chloride prolongs the effects of lidocaine and bupivacaine in rat sciatic nerveYu Chun Hung
Department of Anesthesiology, Mackay Memorial Hospital, Mackay Medicine, Nursing and Management College, Taipei, Taiwan
Reg Anesth Pain Med 34:333-9. 2009..We hypothesized that calcium chloride (CaCl2) when used as an adjuvant prolongs and intensifies the block by local anesthetics (LAs)...
- Calcium chloride effects on salinity-induced oxidative stress, proline metabolism and indole alkaloid accumulation in Catharanthus roseusCheruth Abdul Jaleel
Stress Physiology Lab, Department of Botany, Annamalai University, Annamalainagar 608 002, Tamil Nadu, India
C R Biol 330:674-83. 2007..The NaCl-with-CaCl2-treated C. roseus plants showed an increase in total indole alkaloid content in shoots and roots when compared to NaCl-treated and untreated plants...
- Calcineurin inhibits VCX1-dependent H+/Ca2+ exchange and induces Ca2+ ATPases in Saccharomyces cerevisiaeK W Cunningham
Department of Biology, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland 21218, USA
Mol Cell Biol 16:2226-37. 1996..We propose that elevated cytosolic free Ca2+ concentrations, calmodulin, and calcineurin regulate at least four ion transporters in S. cerevisiae in response to several environmental conditions...
- Calcium taste preferences: genetic analysis and genome screen of C57BL/6J x PWK/PhJ hybrid miceM G Tordoff
Monell Chemical Senses Center, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Genes Brain Behav 7:618-28. 2008..screen involving 116 markers showed 30 quantitative trait loci (QTLs), of which six involved consumption of calcium chloride or lactate...
- Calcium-deprived rats sham-drink CaCl2 and NaClS A McCaughey
Monell Chemical Senses Center, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Appetite 34:305-11. 2000..Because there was minimal opportunity for post-ingestive NaCl or CaCl2 to mediate learning, the results provide additional support that the appetite for CaCl2 and NaCl in calcium-deprived rats can be driven solely by orosensory factors...
- Self-setting barrier membrane for guided tissue regeneration method: initial evaluation of alginate membrane made with sodium alginate and calcium chloride aqueous solutionsK Ishikawa
Department of Biomaterials, Okayama University Dental School, 2 5 1 Shikata, Okayama 700 8525 Japan
J Biomed Mater Res 47:111-5. 1999..First, the bone defect is filled with sodium alginate (Na-Alg) aqueous solution. Then calcium chloride aqueous solution is dropped on the surface of the Na-Alg aqueous solution...
- Effects of intracoronary calcium chloride on regional oxygen balance and mechanical function in normal and stunned myocardium in dogsK Y Yo
Department of Anesthesiology, Chonnam National University Medical School, Kwangju, Korea
Br J Anaesth 88:78-86. 2002..We examined whether the mechanical and vascular responses to calcium are altered in postischaemic, reperfused myocardium...
- ADAM33 enzyme properties and substrate specificityJun Zou
Schering Plough Research Institute, 2015 Galloping Hill Road, Kenilworth, New Jersey 07033, USA
Biochemistry 44:4247-56. 2005..ADAM33 dependence on buffer conditions, detergents, and temperature was examined, and optimal conditions were defined. Accurate K(i) values for tissue inhibitors of metalloproteinase and small molecule compounds were obtained...
- Effect of cationic size on gelation temperature and properties of gelatin hydrogelsS Chatterjee
School of Physical Sciences, Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi 110067, India
Int J Biol Macromol 35:81-8. 2005..The slow mode relaxation and heterodyne parameter obtained from DLS data indicate the presence of larger clusters in Ca2+ gels...
- Effect of experimental parameters on the formation of alginate-chitosan nanoparticles and evaluation of their potential application as DNA carrierKimberly L Douglas
Department of Biomedical Engineering, McGill University, 3775 University Street, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H3A 2B4
J Biomater Sci Polym Ed 16:43-56. 2005..5. We have shown that DNA can be loaded with 60% association efficiency. Our system demonstrates suitable size, loading and release characteristics for application in drug- and gene-delivery systems...
- Calcium-induced virulence factors associated with the extracellular matrix of mucoid Pseudomonas aeruginosa biofilmsS Sarkisova
Department of Microbiology, 109 Lewis Hall, Montana State University, Bozeman, MT 59717, USA
J Bacteriol 187:4327-37. 2005..aeruginosa consists primarily of the virulence factor alginate and also harbors extracellular proteases and perhaps pyocyanin, a biomolecule that may further disrupt cellular calcium levels...
- Individual effects of sodium, potassium, calcium, and magnesium chloride salts on Lactobacillus pentosus and Saccharomyces cerevisiae growthJ Bautista-Gallego
Departamento de Biotecnologia de Alimentos, Instituto de la Grasa, Consejo Superior de Investigaciones Cientificas, Avda, Padre Garcia Tejero no 4, 41012 Seville, Spain
J Food Prot 71:1412-21. 2008..Microbial susceptibility and resistance were found to be nonlinearly dose related...
- Size control of calcium alginate beads containing living cells using micro-nozzle arrayShinji Sugiura
Food Engineering Division, National Food Research Institute, 2 1 12 Kannondai, Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305 8642, Japan
Biomaterials 26:3327-31. 2005..This device enabled us to successfully encapsulate living cells into 162 microm calcium alginate beads with maintaining viability, which was confirmed by the expression of marker protein...
- Manipulating the dietary cation-anion difference via drenching to early-lactation dairy cows grazing pastureJ R Roche
Dexcel Ltd, Hamilton, New Zealand
J Dairy Sci 88:264-76. 2005..Milk production results suggest that DCAD for optimal production on pasture diets may be higher than the +20 mEq/100 g of DM previously identified for total mixed rations...
- Calcium interacts with antifreeze proteins and chitinase from cold-acclimated winter ryeMaja Stressmann
Departments of Biology, University of Waterloo, Waterloo, Ontario N2L 3G1, Canada
Plant Physiol 135:364-76. 2004..Furthermore, antifreeze activity can be easily maintained in vitro by including a chelator during frozen storage...
- Mineralization of dentin induced by treatment with bioactive glass S53P4 in vitroAri Pekka Forsback
Turku Centre for Biomaterials, Turku, Finland
Acta Odontol Scand 62:14-20. 2004..These findings suggest that bioactive glass S53P4 can be used as a therapeutic material for mineralization of dentin and its tubules in a physiological environment...
- Modified alginate and chitosan for lactic acid bacteria immobilizationCanh Le-Tien
Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, Universite du Quebec a Montreal, CP 8888, Succ Centre Ville, Montreal Quebec H3C 3P8, Canada
Biotechnol Appl Biochem 39:347-54. 2004....
- A novel immobilised design for the production of the heterologous protein lysozyme by a genetically engineered Aspergillus niger strainRoberto Parra
Applied Mycology Group, Institute of BioScience and Technology, Cranfield University, Silsoe, Bedford MK45 4DT, UK
Appl Microbiol Biotechnol 67:336-44. 2005..Response surface methodology was used to investigate the effect of pH and water activity (a(w)). The best medium pH was 4.5-5.0, and bead a(w) for optimum lysozyme yield was 0.94, regardless of polymer type...
- FtsZ fiber bundling is triggered by a conformational change in bound GTPRachel Marrington
Department of Chemistry, University of Warwick, Coventry CV4 7AL, School of Biological Sciences, Michael Smith Building, Oxford Road, Manchester M13 9PT, United Kingdom
J Biol Chem 279:48821-9. 2004..Therefore, we present "flipping" of the guanine moiety in FtsZ-bound GTP as a mechanism that explains the link between reduced GTPase activity, increased polymer stability, and polymer bundling...
- Preparation of translucent and flexible human hair protein films and their propertiesToshihiro Fujii
Faculty of Textile Science and Technology, Shinshu University, 3 15 1 Tokida, Ueda, Nagano 386 8567, Japan
Biol Pharm Bull 27:1433-6. 2004..A patch test showed that the protein films made from individual and multiple human hairs only slightly stimulated rubor and anthema, itching, drying, smarting and pain on the contact area of arm skin...
- Induces vasodilatation of rat mesenteric artery in vitro mainly by inhibiting receptor-mediated Ca(2+)-influx and Ca(2+)-releaseYong xiao Cao
Department of Pharmacology, Medical School of Xi an Jiaotong University, No 76, Yanta West Road, Xi an, Shaanxi Province 710061, P R China
Arch Pharm Res 28:709-15. 2005..Our results suggest that atropine-induced vasodilatation is mainly from artery smooth muscle cells due to inhibition of the receptor-mediated Ca(2+)-influx and Ca(2+)-release, and partly from the endothelium mediated by EDHF...
- Electrostatic effects on the yield stress of whey protein isolate foamsJ P Davis
Department of Food Science, North Carolina State University, Box 7624, Raleigh, NC 27695 7624, USA
Colloids Surf B Biointerfaces 34:13-23. 2004..The dynamic surface tension data for beta-lg and alpha-la were similar to WPI, while the interfacial rheological data displayed several noticeable differences...
- Emulsion strategies in the microencapsulation of cells: pathways to thin coherent membranesA Leung
Department of Chemical Engineering, The University of Queensland, Brisbane, Queensland 4072, Australia
Biotechnol Bioeng 92:45-53. 2005..the encapsulation process has been achieved through the injection/extrusion of alginate/cell mixtures into a calcium chloride solution to produce calcium alginate capsules around the cells...
- Mixing behavior of 10-(perfluorohexyl)-decanol and DPPCHans Joachim Lehmler
Department of Occupational and Environmental Health, The University of Iowa, 100 Oakdale Campus, 124 IREH, Iowa City, IA 52242 5000, USA hans joachim lehmler uiowa edu
Colloids Surf B Biointerfaces 44:74-81. 2005..Hydration of the 10-(perfluorohexyl)-decanol-DPPC mixtures with calcium chloride (2 mM) in place of sodium chloride did not alter the macroscopic phase behavior...
- S-state dependence of the calcium requirement and binding characteristics in the oxygen-evolving complex of photosystem IIMohamed Miqyass
Department of Biophysics, Huygens Laboratory, Leiden University, P O Box 9504, NL 2300 RA Leiden, The Netherlands
Biochemistry 47:7915-24. 2008....
- Influence of calcium, magnesium, sodium, potassium and pH on copper toxicity to barley (Hordeum vulgare)K Lock
Laboratory of Environmental Toxicology and Aquatic Ecology, Ghent University, J Plateaustraat 22, 9000 Ghent, Belgium
Ecotoxicol Environ Saf 68:299-304. 2007....
- Calcium alginate entrapped preparations of Aspergillus oryzae beta galactosidase: its stability and applications in the hydrolysis of lactoseToshiba Haider
Department of Biochemistry, Faculty of Life Sciences, Aligarh Muslim University, Aligarh 202002, UP, India
Int J Biol Macromol 41:72-80. 2007..A-beta galactosidase complex retained 81 and 62% of the original enzymatic activity in the presence of 5% calcium chloride and 5% galactose, respectively...
- Entrapment of andrographolide in cross-linked alginate pellets: I. Formulation and evaluation of associated release kineticsArshia Shariff
Department of Pharmaceutics, Krupanidhi College of Pharmacy, Koramangala, Bangalore
Pak J Pharm Sci 20:1-9. 2007..of sodium alginate, method of drying, drying time and temperature, time of contact of the micropellets in calcium chloride solution and concentration of calcium chloride to be used for the gelation were undertaken...
- Altererythrobacter epoxidivorans gen. nov., sp. nov., an epoxide hydrolase-active, mesophilic marine bacterium isolated from cold-seep sediment, and reclassification of Erythrobacter luteolus Yoon et al. 2005 as Altererythrobacter luteolus comb. novKae Kyoung Kwon
Marine Biotechnology Research Center, Korea Ocean Research and Development Institute, PO Box 29, Ansan 425 600, Republic of Korea
Int J Syst Evol Microbiol 57:2207-11. 2007..nov. The type strain of Altererythrobacter epoxidivorans is JCS350(T) (=KCCM 42314(T) =JCM 13815(T)) and the type strain of Altererythrobacter luteolus is SW-109(T) (=KCTC 12311(T) =JCM 12599(T))...
- Effect of cross-linking with calcium ions on the physical properties of alginate filmsR Russo
Institute of Chemistry and Technology of Polymers CNR, Via Campi Flegrei, 34 80078, Pozzuoli NA, Italy
Biomacromolecules 8:3193-7. 2007..The three samples were ionically cross-linked with calcium ions by soaking the films in a solution of calcium chloride. The introduction of the cross-linking points caused an appreciable change in the physical properties, and ..
- Trypsin from the pyloric caeca of bluefish (Pomatomus saltatrix)Sappasith Klomklao
Department of Food Science and Technology, Faculty of Technology and Community Development, Thaksin University, Phattalung Campus, Phattalung, 93110, Thailand
Comp Biochem Physiol B Biochem Mol Biol 148:382-9. 2007..The N-terminal amino acid sequence of trypsin was determined as IVGGYECKPKSAPVQVSLNL and was highly homologous to other known vertebrate trypsins...
- Insulin-loaded nanoparticles are prepared by alginate ionotropic pre-gelation followed by chitosan polyelectrolyte complexationB Sarmento
Department of Pharmaceutical Technology, Faculty of Pharmacy of the University of Porto, Porto, Portugal
J Nanosci Nanotechnol 7:2833-41. 2007....
- Alginate/polymethacrylate copolymer microparticles for the intestinal delivery of enzymesSarah Scocca
Dipartimento di Scienze e Tecnologie Veterinarie per la Sicurezza Alimentare, Milano, Italia
Curr Drug Deliv 4:103-8. 2007..solution containing the enteric polymer, a lyoprotectant and the enzyme was either extruded or sprayed into a calcium chloride solution, with the resultant formation of beads and microspheres which were freeze-dried...
- Preparation of dual crosslinked alginate-chitosan blend gel beads and in vitro controlled release in oral site-specific drug delivery systemYongmei Xu
College of Chemical Engineering, Wuhan University of Technology, Wuhan 430070, China
Int J Pharm 336:329-37. 2007..The homogeneous solution of alginate and chitosan was dripped into the solution of calcium chloride; the resultant Ca2+ single crosslinked beads were dipped in the solution of sodium sulfate sequentially to ..
- Formation of polysaccharide gel layers in the presence of Ca2+ and K+ ions: measurements and mechanismsAlexis J de Kerchove
Department of Chemical Engineering, Environmental Engineering Program, Yale University, P O Box 208286, New Haven, Connecticut 06520 8286, USA
Biomacromolecules 8:113-21. 2007..The dimerization of the polymers by cross-linking and the weaker dimer-dimer associations play major roles in the sensitivity of the polysaccharide gel matrix to high salt concentration environments...
- Structurally colored thin films of Ca2+-cross-linked alginateMatthew D Cathell
Department of Materials Science and Engineering, Drexel University, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104, USA
Biomacromolecules 8:33-41. 2007..In the case of other ions such as Pb(II), a change in film refractive index plays a significant role in the reflectance properties of films...
- Alginate-coated alginate-polyethyleneimine beads for prolonged release of furosemide in simulated intestinal fluidC Mallikarjuna Setty
Centre for Advanced Research in Pharmaceutical Sciences, Department of Pharmaceutical Technology, Jadavpur University, Kolkata, India
Drug Dev Ind Pharm 31:435-46. 2005....
- Alginate microparticles prepared by spray-coagulation method: preparation, drug loading and release characterizationJ Tu
Thomas J Long School of Pharmacy and Health Sciences, University of the Pacific, 751 Brookside Road, Stockton, CA 95211, USA
Int J Pharm 303:171-81. 2005....
- Use of a D-optimal design with constrains to quantify the effects of the mixture of sodium, potassium, calcium and magnesium chloride salts on the growth parameters of Saccharomyces cerevisiaeJ Bautista-Gallego
Departamento de Biotecnologia de Alimentos, Instituto de la Grasa, Avda Padre Garcia Tejero no 4, 41012, Seville, Spain
J Ind Microbiol Biotechnol 35:889-900. 2008..These results can be of interest for the fermentation and preservation of vegetable products, and foods in general, in which this yeast could be present...
- Ligustilide induces vasodilatation via inhibiting voltage dependent calcium channel and receptor-mediated Ca2+ influx and releaseYong xiao Cao
Department of Pharmacology, Xi an Jiaotong University School of Medicine, and Key Laboratory of Environment and Genes Related to Diseases, Ministry of Education, Xi an, Shaanxi, PR China
Vascul Pharmacol 45:171-6. 2006..Ligustilide rightwards shifted concentration-response curves induced by KCl, calcium chloride (CaCl(2)), noradrenaline (NA) or 5-hydroxytryptamine (5-HT) in a non-parallel manner...
- Calcium channel blocking activity of calycosin, a major active component of Astragali Radix, on rat aortaXiu Li Wu
Department of Molecular and Cellular Pharmacology, School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Peking University, Beijing 100083, China
Acta Pharmacol Sin 27:1007-12. 2006..To investigate the vasoactivity of calycosin, a major active component of Astragali Radix...
- A novel pH sensitive N-succinyl chitosan/alginate hydrogel bead for nifedipine deliveryYa Ni Dai
The Second Hospital of Lanzhou University, Lanzhou, 730030, China
Biopharm Drug Dispos 29:173-84. 2008..The release of nifedipine from the hydrogel bead at various pH values was analysed by a semi-empirical equation and it was found that the drug release mechanisms were either 'anomalous transport' or 'case-II transport'...
- Ionically cross-linked carrageenan-alginate hydrogel beadsZ Mohamadnia
Iran Polymer and Petrochemical Institute IPPI, P O Box 14965 115, Tehran, Iran
J Biomater Sci Polym Ed 19:47-59. 2008..The fully carbohydrate-based hydrogel beads are expected to be biologically compatible and degradable. They are being considered as new carriers for drug loading and controlled delivery systems...
- Extended release of high pI proteins from alginate microspheres via a novel encapsulation techniqueL A Wells
Department of Chemical Engineering, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ont, Canada
Eur J Pharm Biopharm 65:329-35. 2007..This was followed by recrosslinking with calcium chloride. High pI proteins also appeared to physically crosslink the sodium alginate which resulted in more sustained ..
- Imperatorin induces vasodilatation possibly via inhibiting voltage dependent calcium channel and receptor-mediated Ca2+ influx and releaseJian Yu He
Xi an Jiaotong University School of Medicine, Xi an, Shaanxi, 710061, PR China
Eur J Pharmacol 573:170-5. 2007..Co-incubation with imperatorin resulted in rightward shift of concentration-response curves of KCl, calcium chloride (CaCl(2)) and noradrenaline in a non-parallel manner; 5-hydroxytryptamine (5-HT) concentration-response ..
- Comparison of hyperkalemic cardioplegia with altered [CaCl2] and [MgCl2] on [Ca2+]i transients and function after warm global ischemia in isolated heartsA K S Camara
Anesthesiology Research Laboratories, Department of Anesthesiology, Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee 53226, USA
J Cardiovasc Surg (Torino) 45:1-13. 2004..We changed [MgCl(2)] and [CaCl(2)] in a CP solution to examine their effects on [Ca(2+)]i transients and cardiac function before and after global normothermic ischemia...
- Subunit composition and conformational stability of the oligomeric form of the avian reovirus cell-attachment protein sigmaCAna Grande
Departamento de Bioquimica y Biologia Molecular, Facultad de Farmacia, Universidad de Santiago de Compostela, 15782 Santiago de Compostela, Spain
J Gen Virol 83:131-9. 2002..Finally, our results also reveal that mammalian and avian reovirus cell attachment proteins follow different subunit dissociation pathways...
- Calcium depletion modifies the structure of the photosystem II O(2)-evolving complexKirk A Vander Meulen
Departments of Biology and Chemistry, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109 1048, USA
Biochemistry 41:958-66. 2002....
- Usefulness as guided bone regeneration membrane of the alginate membraneYoshiya Ueyama
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Faculty of Medicine, Tottori University, Yonago, Japan
Biomaterials 23:2027-33. 2002..It is designed to drop a calcium chloride aqueous solution into the bone defect, which is filled with sodium alginate aqueous solution...
- Nantenine blocks muscle contraction and Ca2+ transient induced by noradrenaline and K+ in rat vas deferensRosana de A Ribeiro
Department of Pharmacology, Federal University of Sao Paulo, Rua Botucatu 862, 04023 062, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Eur J Pharmacol 470:37-43. 2003..Concentration-response curves of calcium chloride (CaCl(2)) were performed in the vas deferens, in a Ca(2+)-free nutrient solution, using potassium chloride (..
- Polymer relationships during preparation of chitosan-alginate and poly-l-lysine-alginate nanospheresSinjan De
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, College of Pharmacy, 986025 Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, NE 68198 6025, USA
J Control Release 89:101-12. 2003..Similarly, the binding of PLL to calcium alginate pre-gel was electrostatic and competitively inhibited by sodium, although, the thermodynamic parameters for this interaction could not be determined...
- [Effect of common ions in water on water association by 17O-NMR]Ruihua Li
Department of Environmental Science and Engineering, Tsinghua University, Beijing 100084, China
Huan Jing Ke Xue 23:44-8. 2002..Generally, the more the ionic charge and the larger the ionic radius, the larger was the effect of those ions on water association. Besides, the effect of ionic charge on water association was more significant than that of ionic radius...
- The apoplastic pH of the substomatal cavity of Vicia faba leaves and its regulation responding to different stress factorsHubert H Felle
Botanisches Institut I, Justus Liebig Universitat Giessen, Senckenbergstrasse 17, D 35390 Giessen, Germany
J Exp Bot 53:73-82. 2002..It is suggested that pH may only act as drought signal when accompanied by elevated osmolarity...
- Calcium transport mediated by NhaA, a Na+/H+ antiporter from Escherichia coliP A Dibrov
Division of Microbial and Molecular Ecology, Silberman Institute of Life Sciences, Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Givat Ram, Israel
FEBS Lett 336:530-4. 1993..Transmembrane electric potential difference proved to drive this process. All these data are consistent with the assumption that NhaA can also catalyze Ca2+/H+ exchange...
- Electrical perception of "death message" in chara: analysis of rapid component and ionic processTeruo Shimmen
Department of Life Science, Graduate School of Science, Himeji Institute of Technology, Harima Science Park City, Hyogo, 678 1297 Japan
Plant Cell Physiol 43:1575-84. 2002..Experiments under K(+)-induced depolarization unequivocally showed that the Cl(-) channel at the nodal end of the receptor cell was activated upon cutting the victim cell...
- [Involvement of PHO80 and PHO85 genes in Saccharomyces cerevisiae ion tolerance]Xi Cheng Mao
Institute of Biochemistry and Cell Biology, Shanghai Institutes for Biological Sciences, The Chinese Academy of Sciences, Shanghai 200031, China
Sheng Wu Hua Xue Yu Sheng Wu Wu Li Xue Bao (Shanghai) 35:86-91. 2003..Furthermore, the amount of the total cellular calcium of pho85Delta mutant, pho80Delta mutant and YPH499 indicated that the ability of calcium accumulation of pho85 mutant and pho80Delta mutant was impaired...
- Alpha-amylase activity from the halophilic archaeon Haloferax mediterraneiF Perez-Pomares
División de Bioquímica, Facultad de Ciencias, Universidad de Alicante, Apartado 99, 03080 Alicante, Spain
Extremophiles 7:299-306. 2003..The enzyme displayed maximal activity at pHs from 7 to 8, and its optimal temperature was in a range from 50 degrees C to 60 degrees C. The results also implicated several prototropic groups in the catalytic reaction...
- Molded Hydrogel Tympanic Membrane Repair ConstructsWILSON CANNOY PRITCHARD; Fiscal Year: 2011..Calcium alginate manufacturing will be streamlined using irreversible thermal gelation with calcium chloride-loaded liposomes...
- Multifunctional bone putty for craniomaxillofacial bone repairAMBALANGODAGE CHAMPA JAYASURIYA; Fiscal Year: 2013..The bone putty will be synthesized using growth factors encapsulated chitosan microparticles, calcium chloride, and methyl cellulose...
- CONTINUOUS-FLOW SYSTEM FOR HYBRIDOMA MICROENCAPSULATIONHARRIS GOLD; Fiscal Year: 1990..91) to develop a full-scale prototype of a process for the continuous removal of calcium alginate gels from a calcium chloride gelling solution and their subsequent introduction into a biologically isotonic sodium chloride solution and (..
- EARLY HUSBANDRY INFLUENCES ON ADULT PHENOTYPEMICHAEL TORDOFF; Fiscal Year: 2009..The results will lead to better environmental controls in future work and, asa direct consequence, easierand more rapid progress with genetic analyses. ..
- CENTRAL GUSTATORY ELECTROPHYSIOLOGY IN MICEStuart McCaughey; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- Myocardial Protection in the Aging HeartDAVID STOWE; Fiscal Year: 2003..The long term objectives of this project, as a new research area for this laboratory, are to investigate new interventions which may protect the aged myocardium from ischemia/reperfusion injury. ..
- MYOCARDIAL CALCIUM HANDLING DURING AND AFTER HYPOTHERMIADAVID STOWE; Fiscal Year: 2002..These studies will lead to a better understanding of Ca2+ loading and therapies to protect hypothermic hearts. ..
- GENETICS OF ALCOHOL RELATED INGESTIVE BEHAVIORS IN MICEAlexander Bachmanov; Fiscal Year: 2007..Through these three aims, we intend to isolate loci involved in ethanol preference, identify candidate genes for these loci in mice, and specify their human orthologs. ..
- Extracellular Mechanisms For Thoracic Aortic AneurysmsJohn Ikonomidis; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- CALCIUM DEPENDENT MEMBRANE BINDING PROTEINSCARL CREUTZ; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- Polymer Carrier for Ischemia-Inducible Gene TherapyDavid Bull; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Nanoparticle targeting of cathepsin-L inhibitor and doxorubicin in breast cancerShaker Mousa; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Chitosan as a pore former in coated beads for colon specific drug deliverySTEVEN NEAU; Fiscal Year: 2008..If the goals of this project are achieved, then lower doses can be administered with the therapeutic benefits of more effective treatment and far lower incidences of systemic side effects. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Cross-linked Polymer Micelles in Cancer TherapyTatiana K Bronich; Fiscal Year: 2010..It is anticipated that these studies will lead to the design of new formulation of cisplatin for improved cancer treatment. ..
- Rotavirus VP4: Structure and functionStephen Harrison; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Rap 1-Mediated Protein Transport in Oral CancerNISHA D SILVA; Fiscal Year: 2006..The significance of this research is that it explores an important and novel mechanism for nucleocytoplasmic transport of pro-proliferative proteins in oral cancer, thereby identifying novel treatment targets. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- HISTATIN RECEPTORS AS DRUG TARGETS FOR ORAL CANDIDIASISMira Edgerton; Fiscal Year: 2003..This award would provide her the opportunity to extend her background in yeast biology to the molecular level and apply this new expertise to studies of virulence and pathogenesis of oral and systemic candidiasis. ..
- MODULATING ENERGETIC EFFICIENCY OF THE INOTROPIC STATEGuy Macgowan; Fiscal Year: 2003..In this submission, a program of didactic training, mentorship, and research development is proposed, structured to develop the candidate's research training to eventual full independent status. ..
- ANNEXIN PHOSPHORYLATION: CAUSES AND CONSEQUENCESCARL CREUTZ; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- RAP1A AND RAP1B IN THE DIAGNOSIS AND TMT - ORAL CANCERNISHA D SILVA; Fiscal Year: 2004..The third segment involves the design of a protocol to investigate the use of rap1A in gene therapy to treat residual epithelial dysplasia or squamous cell carcinoma lesions. ..
- In Vitro Cancer Prevention Biomarker DevelopmentEugene Elmore; Fiscal Year: 2004..Using cluster analysis, we will determine the global gene expression changes induced by each agent. The strength of the proposed approach lies in the high quality data that has already determined from the HEC Assay. ..
- Biomimetic Synthesis of an Enamel-Like MaterialStefan Habelitz; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- Role of MMPs in AngII induced abdominal aortic aneurysmsAlan Daugherty; Fiscal Year: 2005..The significance of this research relates to delineation of mechanism for AA formation and maturation, with emphasis on potential development of pharmacological treatments of the disease. ..
- Resolutions in Branched Alkanes using Lipase in BeadsSTEVEN NEAU; Fiscal Year: 2002..The stability of the bead, the efficiency of the lipase entrapment, and the reduction in lipase activity as a function of repeated applications will also be evaluated in the third study. ..
- Dissection of Ethanol Actions on Cholinergic Nerve EndingsTIMOTHY SEARL; Fiscal Year: 2008..Our preliminary data with botulinums toxins demonstrate that the synaptic vesicle protein synaptobrevin is an important target for the effects of ethanol. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- TISSUE STRESS VARIABILITY AND STRENGTH IN VERTEBRAL BONEYener Yeni; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..