Genomes and Genes
Summary: Carbonic acid calcium salt (CaCO3). An odorless, tasteless powder or crystal that occurs in nature. It is used therapeutically as a phosphate buffer in hemodialysis patients and as a calcium supplement.
Publications370 found, 100 shown here
- Anthropogenic ocean acidification over the twenty-first century and its impact on calcifying organismsJames C Orr
Laboratoire des Sciences du Climat et de l Environnement, UMR CEA CNRS, CEA Saclay, F 91191 Gif sur Yvette, France
Nature 437:681-6. 2005Today's surface ocean is saturated with respect to calcium carbonate, but increasing atmospheric carbon dioxide concentrations are reducing ocean pH and carbonate ion concentrations, and thus the level of calcium carbonate saturation...
- Impact of anthropogenic CO2 on the CaCO3 system in the oceansRichard A Feely
Pacific Marine Environmental Laboratory, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, Seattle, WA 98115 6349, USA
Science 305:362-6. 2004..This acidification process has changed the saturation state of the oceans with respect to calcium carbonate (CaCO3) particles...
- An acidic matrix protein, Pif, is a key macromolecule for nacre formationMichio Suzuki
Department of Applied Biological Chemistry, Graduate School of Agricultural and Life Sciences, The University of Tokyo, 1 1 1 Yayoi, Bunkyo ku, Tokyo 113 8657, Japan
Science 325:1388-90. 2009The mollusk shell is a hard tissue consisting of calcium carbonate crystals and an organic matrix...
- The oceanic sink for anthropogenic CO2Christopher L Sabine
National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration NOAA Pacific Marine Environmental Laboratory, 7600 Sand Point Way NE, Seattle, WA 98115, USA
Science 305:367-71. 2004..The current fraction of total anthropogenic CO2 emissions stored in the ocean appears to be about one-third of the long-term potential...
- The progression of coronary artery calcification in predialysis patients on calcium carbonate or sevelamerD Russo
Department of Nephrology, University Federico II, Naples, Italy
Kidney Int 72:1255-61. 2007..In this study, we evaluate the effect of calcium carbonate or sevelamer treatments on the progression of calcification in 90 predialysis patients...
- Proteins of calcified endoskeleton: II partial amino acid sequences of endoskeletal proteins and the characterization of proteinaceous organic matrix of spicules from the alcyonarian, Synularia polydactylaM Azizur Rahman
Department of Marine and Environmental Sciences, University of the Ryukyus, Okinawa, Japan
Proteomics 5:885-93. 2005..These findings suggest that the endoskeletal spicules of alcyonarian corals have protein-rich organic matrices, which might be related to the calcification process...
- The effect of prepubertal calcium carbonate supplementation on the age of peak height velocity in Gambian adolescentsAnn Prentice
Medical Research Council Human Nutrition Research, Cambridge, United Kingdom
Am J Clin Nutr 96:1042-50. 2012..Such an effect might be particularly marked in populations in whom low calcium intake, stunting, and delayed puberty are common...
- Mollusk shell formation: a source of new concepts for understanding biomineralization processesLia Addadi
Department of Structural Biology, Weizmann Institute of Science, Rehovot 76100, Israel
Chemistry 12:980-7. 2006..All this takes place in a highly structured chitinous framework. Here we present ideas on how these disparate components work together to produce the highly structured pearly nacreous layer of the mollusk shell...
- A new matrix protein family related to the nacreous layer formation of Pinctada fucataT Samata
Laboratory of Cell Biology, Faculty of Environmental Health, Azabu University, 1 17 71 Fuchinobe, Sagamihara, Japan
FEBS Lett 462:225-9. 1999..The aragonite crystals showed platy morphology different from those formed inorganically, and long intervals of incubation resulted in crystalline layers highly similar to the nacreous layer...
- Amorphous Ca-phosphate precursors for Ca-carbonate biominerals mediated by Chromohalobacter marismortuiMaria Angustias Rivadeneyra
Department of Microbiology, Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Granada, Granada, Spain
ISME J 4:922-32. 2010....
- Long-term comparison of a calcium-free phosphate binder and calcium carbonate--phosphorus metabolism and cardiovascular calcificationJ Braun
KfH Dialysezentrum Nürnberg, Germany
Clin Nephrol 62:104-15. 2004b>Calcium carbonate used as a phosphate binder may contribute to cardiovascular calcification. Long-term comparisons of sevelamer, a non-calcium polymeric phosphate binder, and calcium carbonate (CC) are lacking.
- Early stages of crystallization of calcium carbonate revealed in picoliter dropletsChristopher J Stephens
School of Physics and Astronomy, University of Leeds, Leeds LS2 9JT, United Kingdom
J Am Chem Soc 133:5210-3. 2011..in the droplets than in the bulk, allowing the mechanism of crystallization, which progresses via amorphous calcium carbonate, to be easily observed...
- Stabilization of amorphous calcium carbonate by phosphate rich organic matrix proteins and by single phosphoamino acidsShmuel Bentov
Department of Biotechnology Engineering, Ben Gurion University of the Negev, 84105, Israel
J Struct Biol 171:207-15. 2010Stable amorphous calcium carbonate (ACC) is a unique material produced naturally exclusively as a biomineral. It was demonstrated that proteins extracted from biogenic stable ACC induce and stabilize synthetic ACC in vitro...
- Scleractinian coral species survive and recover from decalcificationMaoz Fine
Faculty of Life Sciences, Bar Ilan University, Ramat Gan, 52900, Israel
Science 315:1811. 2007..This refugia, however, does not undermine the threats to reef ecosystems in a high carbon dioxide world...
- Synthesis of three-dimensional calcium carbonate nanofibrous structure from eggshell using femtosecond laser ablationAmirhossein Tavangar
Department of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering, Ryerson University, Toronto, ON M5B 2K3, Canada
J Nanobiotechnology 9:1. 2011..Although there have been several studies on generating nanoparticles from eggshells, no research has been reported on synthesizing 3D nanofibrous structures...
- The initial stages of template-controlled CaCO3 formation revealed by cryo-TEMEmilie M Pouget
Laboratory of Materials and Interface Chemistry, Eindhoven University of Technology, P O Box 513, 5600 MB Eindhoven, Netherlands
Science 323:1455-8. 2009Biogenic calcium carbonate forms the inorganic component of seashells, otoliths, and many marine skeletons, and its formation is directed by an ordered template of macromolecules...
- Direct fabrication of large micropatterned single crystalsJoanna Aizenberg
Bell Laboratories Lucent Technologies, Murray Hill, NJ 07974, USA
Science 299:1205-8. 2003..Micropatterned templates organically modified to induce the formation of metastable amorphous calcium carbonate were imprinted with calcite nucleation sites...
- Spiers Memorial Lecture. Lessons from biomineralization: comparing the growth strategies of mollusc shell prismatic and nacreous layers in Atrina rigidaFabio Nudelman
Department of Structural Biology, Weizmann Institute of Science, Rehovot 76100, Israel
Faraday Discuss 136:9-25; discussion 107-23. 2007..organized into a crystal nucleation site, where nucleation of aragonite, supposedly from colloidal amorphous calcium carbonate particles, is induced...
- A comparative clinical study investigating the efficacy of a test dentifrice containing 8% strontium acetate and 1040 ppm sodium fluoride versus a marketed control dentifrice containing 8% arginine, calcium carbonate, and 1450 ppm sodium monofluorophosphaNathan Hughes
GlaxoSmithKline Consumer Healthcare, Weybridge, Surrey, UK
J Clin Dent 21:49-55. 2010..of an 8% strontium acetate, 1040 ppm sodium fluoride dentifrice to a marketed control 8% arginine, calcium carbonate, 1450 ppm sodium monofluorophosphate dentifrice after twice-daily brushing for two, four, and eight weeks.
- Poorly cemented coral reefs of the eastern tropical Pacific: possible insights into reef development in a high-CO2 worldDerek P Manzello
Cooperative Institute of Marine and Atmospheric Studies, Rosenstiel School, Marine Biology and Fisheries, University of Miami, 4600 Rickenbacker Causeway, Miami, FL 33149, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 105:10450-5. 2008..ETP reefs represent a real-world example of coral reef growth in low-Omega waters that provide insights into how the biological-geological interface of coral reef ecosystems will change in a high-CO(2) world...
- Oceans. Carbon emissions and acidificationRichard E Zeebe
Department of Oceanography, University of Hawaii, Honolulu, HI 96822, USA
Science 321:51-2. 2008
- The skeletal organic matrix from Mediterranean coral Balanophyllia europaea influences calcium carbonate precipitationStefano Goffredo
Marine Science Group, Alma Mater Studiorum Universita di Bologna, Bologna, Italy
PLoS ONE 6:e22338. 2011Scleractinian coral skeletons are made mainly of calcium carbonate in the form of aragonite...
- Prismin: a new matrix protein family in the Japanese pearl oyster (Pinctada fucata) involved in prismatic layer formationRyousuke Takagi
Department of Genetic Engineering, Faculty of Biology Oriented Science and Technology, Kinki University, 930 Nishimitani, Kinokawa, Wakayama 649 6493, Japan
Zoolog Sci 27:416-26. 2010..Therefore, we conclude that prismin is a novel prismatic layer-specific calcite growth factor...
- Shellfish face uncertain future in high CO2 world: influence of acidification on oyster larvae calcification and growth in estuariesA Whitman Miller
Smithsonian Environmental Research Center, Edgewater, Maryland, United States of America
PLoS ONE 4:e5661. 2009....
- Mollusc larval shell formation: amorphous calcium carbonate is a precursor phase for aragoniteIngrid Maria Weiss
Department of Structural Biology, Weizmann Institute of Science, 76100 Rehovot, Israel
J Exp Zool 293:478-91. 2002..Both species contain similar shell ultrastructures. We show that larval shells contain amorphous calcium carbonate (ACC), in addition to aragonite. The aragonite is much less crystalline than non-biogenic aragonite...
- A breakthrough therapy for dentin hypersensitivity: how dental products containing 8% arginine and calcium carbonate work to deliver effective relief of sensitive teethIrene Petrou
Colgate Palmolive Technology Center, Piscataway, NJ, USA
J Clin Dent 20:23-31. 2009..into the mechanism of action of a new technology for dentin hypersensitivity relief based upon arginine and calcium carbonate and, in particular, to address important questions regarding the nature and extent of dentin tubule occlusion...
- Stable prenucleation calcium carbonate clustersDenis Gebauer
Max Planck Institute of Colloids and Interfaces, Research Campus Golm, Am Muhlenberg 1, D 14424 Potsdam, Germany
Science 322:1819-22. 2008b>Calcium carbonate forms scales, geological deposits, biominerals, and ocean sediments. Huge amounts of carbon dioxide are retained as carbonate ions, and calcium ions represent a major contribution to water hardness...
- Calcitic microlenses as part of the photoreceptor system in brittlestarsJ Aizenberg
Bell Laboratories Lucent Technologies, Murray Hill, New Jersey 07974, USA
Nature 412:819-22. 2001..These structures represent an example of a multifunctional biomaterial that fulfills both mechanical and optical functions...
- Elevated CO2 enhances otolith growth in young fishDavid M Checkley
Scripps Institution of Oceanography, University of California, San Diego, CA 92093, USA
Science 324:1683. 2009..We hypothesize that CO2 moves freely through the epithelium around the otoliths in young fish, accelerating otolith growth while the local pH is controlled. This is the converse of the effect commonly reported for structural biominerals...
- Hemocyte-mediated shell mineralization in the eastern oysterAndrew S Mount
Department of Biological Sciences, Clemson University, Clemson, SC 29634, USA
Science 304:297-300. 2004..On the basis of scanning electron microscopy (SEM) and x-ray microanalysis, these granulocytes contain calcium carbonate crystals, and they increase in abundance relative to other hemocytes following experimentally induced shell ..
- Contribution of fish to the marine inorganic carbon cycleR W Wilson
School of Biosciences, University of Exeter, Exeter EX4 4PS, UK
Science 323:359-62. 2009Oceanic production of calcium carbonate is conventionally attributed to marine plankton (coccolithophores and foraminifera)...
- Evolution of nacre: biochemistry and proteomics of the shell organic matrix of the cephalopod Nautilus macromphalusBenjamin Marie
UMR CNRS 5561 Biogeosciences, Universite de Bourgogne, 6 Bd Gabriel, 21000 Dijon, France
Chembiochem 10:1495-506. 2009..Strikingly, most of the obtained partial sequences are entirely new. A few only partly match with bivalvian nacre proteins.Our findings have implications for knowledge of the long-term evolution of molluskan nacre matrices...
- Intestinal bicarbonate secretion in marine teleost fish-source of bicarbonate, pH sensitivity, and consequences for whole animal acid-base and calcium homeostasisRod W Wilson
Department of Biological Sciences, Hatherly Laboratories, University of Exeter, Exeter EX4 4PS, UK
Biochim Biophys Acta 1618:163-74. 2003..Thus, both luminal Ca(2+) and H(+) can regulate HCO(3)(-) secretion but the precise mechanisms and their potential interaction are currently unresolved...
- Efficacy of a dentifrice containing 5% potassium nitrate and 1500 PPM sodium monofluorophosphate in a precipitated calcium carbonate base on dentinal hypersensitivityT Schiff
University of the Pacific, San Francisco, CA, USA
J Clin Dent 9:22-5. 1998..0% potassium nitrate, 1500 ppm sodium monofluorophosphate in a precipitated calcium carbonate (PCC) base over an eight-week period was compared to a placebo dentifrice without potassium nitrate...
- GFP facilitates native purification of recombinant perlucin derivatives and delays the precipitation of calcium carbonateEva Weber
INM Leibniz Institute for New Materials gGmbH, Saarbruecken, Germany
PLoS ONE 7:e46653. 2012..Second, GFP inhibited calcium carbonate precipitation in a concentration dependent manner...
- Comparing the efficacy in reducing dentin hypersensitivity of a new toothpaste containing 8.0% arginine, calcium carbonate, and 1450 ppm fluoride to a commercial sensitive toothpaste containing 2% potassium ion: an eight-week clinical study in Rome, ItalyRaffaella Docimo
University of Rome at Tor Vergata, Department of Odonto Stomatology Cattedra Di Pedodonzia, Rome, Italy
J Clin Dent 20:17-22. 2009..0% arginine, calcium carbonate, and 1450 ppm fluoride as sodium monofluorophosphate (MFP) was compared to that of a benchmark commercial ..
- Ultrastructure, chemistry and mineralogy of the growing shell of the European abalone Haliotis tuberculataStéphanie Auzoux-Bordenave
UMR BOREA Biologie des Organismes et Ecosystèmes Aquatiques, MNHN CNRS 7208 IRD 207 UPMC, Museum national d histoire naturelle, Station de Biologie Marine, 29900 Concarneau, France
J Struct Biol 171:277-90. 2010..The results demonstrated that early protoconch was mostly composed of amorphous calcium carbonate, while veliger stages showed a gradually crystallization under the form of aragonite...
- Cellular compatibility of a gamma-irradiated modified siloxane-poly(lactic acid)-calcium carbonate hybrid membrane for guided bone regenerationNaoshi Takeuchi
Department of Periodontology, Graduate School of Medical and Dental Sciences, Kagoshima University, 8 35 1 Sakuragaoka, Kagoshima 890 8544, Japan
Dent Mater J 30:730-8. 2011..These results suggest that the gamma-irradiated Si-PVH/PLA membrane is biocompatible with both fibroblasts and osteoblasts, and may have an application for GBR...
- Carbonic anhydrase in calcified endoskeleton: novel activity in biocalcification in alcyonarianM Azizur Rahman
Department of Marine and Environmental Sciences, University of the Ryukyus, Okinawa, Japan
Mar Biotechnol (NY) 10:31-8. 2008..Our observations strongly suggest that the matrix protein in alcyonarian coral is not only a structural protein but also a catalyst...
- Caspartin and calprismin, two proteins of the shell calcitic prisms of the Mediterranean fan mussel Pinna nobilisFrederic Marin
UMR CNRS 5561 Biogeosciences, Universite de Bourgogne, 6 Boulevard Gabriel, Dijon F 21000, France
J Biol Chem 280:33895-908. 2005..In vitro tests show that it inhibits the precipitation of calcium carbonate. Furthermore, it strongly interferes with the growth of calcite crystals...
- Phase transitions in biogenic amorphous calcium carbonateYutao U T Gong
Department of Physics, University of Wisconsin Madison, 1150 University Avenue, Madison, WI 53706, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 109:6088-93. 2012..purpuratus sea urchins, and observe a sequence of three mineral phases: hydrated amorphous calcium carbonate (ACC · H(2)O) → dehydrated amorphous calcium carbonate (ACC) → calcite...
- Biologically formed amorphous calcium carbonateSteve Weiner
Department of Structural Biology, Weizmann Institute of Science, Rehovot, Israel
Connect Tissue Res 44:214-8. 2003Many organisms from a wide variety of taxa produce amorphous calcium carbonate (ACC), despite the fact that it is inherently unstable and relatively soluble in its pure state...
- Insights into the composition, morphology, and formation of the calcareous shell of the serpulid Hydroides dianthusAdrienne E Tanur
Department of Chemistry, University of Toronto, 80 St George St, Toronto, ON, Canada M5S 3H6
J Struct Biol 169:145-60. 2010..The SOM and organic tube lining were found to contain carboxylated and sulphated polysaccharides. In an artificial seawater solution, the SOM and the organic tube lining mediated CaCO(3) mineralization in vitro...
- Hollow chitosan-alginate multilayer microcapsules as drug delivery vehicle: doxorubicin loading and in vitro and in vivo studiesQinghe Zhao
Department of Polymer Science and Engineering, Zhejiang University, Hangzhou, China
Nanomedicine 3:63-74. 2007..The results showed that the encapsulated DOX had better efficacy than that of the free drug in terms of tumor inhibition in a 4-week in vivo culture period...
- Developmental biology meets materials science: Morphogenesis of biomineralized structuresFred H Wilt
Department of Molecular Cell Biology, University of California, Berkeley, CA 94720 3200, USA
Dev Biol 280:15-25. 2005..frustules in sponges and diatoms, respectively; (2) the structure of skeletal spicules composed of amorphous calcium carbonate in some tunicates; (3) the secretion of the prism and nacre of some molluscan shells; (4) the development of ..
- Effect of a test dentifrice containing nano-sized calcium carbonate on remineralization of enamel lesions in vitroSyozi Nakashima
Oral Care Research Laboratories, Lion Corporation, Odawara, Japan
J Oral Sci 51:69-77. 2009The efficacy of a test dentifrice containing nano-sized (several tens to hundreds of nm) calcium carbonate (hereafter NC) on enamel lesion remineralization was studied in an in vitro system that employed collagen-coated wells for cell ..
- Effects of sevelamer hydrochloride and calcium carbonate on renal osteodystrophy in hemodialysis patientsAnibal Ferreira
Nephrology Department, Hospital Curry Cabral, Lisboa, Portugal
J Am Soc Nephrol 19:405-12. 2008..study, 119 hemodialysis patients were enrolled to compare the effects of sevelamer hydrochloride and calcium carbonate on bone. Biopsy-proven adynamic bone disease was the most frequent bone abnormality at baseline (59%)...
- The biogeochemical role of Actinobacteria in Altamira Cave, SpainSoledad Cuezva
Laboratorio de Petrologia Aplicada, Departamento de Ciencias de la Tierra y del Medio Ambiente, Universidad de Alicante, Alicante, Spain
FEMS Microbiol Ecol 81:281-90. 2012..A tentative model for the formation of these grey spots, supported by scanning electron microscopy and transmission electron microscopy data, is proposed...
- Bacterially induced mineralization of calcium carbonate: the role of exopolysaccharides and capsular polysaccharidesClaudia Ercole
Department of Basic and Applied Biology, University of L Aquila, 67010 L Aquila, Italy
Microsc Microanal 13:42-50. 2007..Proteins with molecular masses of 25-40 kDa and 70 kDa in the CPS fraction were highly expressed in the presence of calcium oxalate. This high level of synthesis could be related to the binding of calcium ions and carbonate deposition...
- Calcium/vitamin D supplementation and coronary artery calcification in the Women's Health InitiativeJoAnn E Manson
Brigham and Women s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA
Menopause 17:683-91. 2010..We compared CAC scores after trial completion between women randomized to calcium/vitamin D supplementation and women randomized to placebo...
- On the origin of fiber calcite crystals in moonmilk depositsJuan Carlos Cañaveras
Unidad Asociada CSIC UA, Laboratorio de Petrologia Aplicada, Departamento de Ciencias de la Tierra, Universidad de Alicante, Alicante, Spain
Naturwissenschaften 93:27-32. 2006....
- Patterns of distribution of calcite crystals in soft corals scleritesErnestina Tentori
ERT Scotland Ltd, Research Park South, Heriot Watt University, Edinburgh EH14 4AP, UK
J Morphol 272:614-28. 2011..Our study indicates that soft corals are ideal material to study natural gradients of calcification conditions...
- Comparing the efficacy in reducing dentin hypersensitivity of a new toothpaste containing 8.0% arginine, calcium carbonate, and 1450 ppm fluoride to a commercial sensitive toothpaste containing 2% potassium ion: an eight-week clinical study on Canadian adFarid Ayad
Canadian Clinical Research Center, Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
J Clin Dent 20:10-6. 2009..0% arginine, calcium carbonate, and 1450 ppm fluoride as sodium monofluorophosphate (MFP) was compared to that of a benchmark commercial ..
- Comparing the efficacy in reducing dentin hypersensitivity of a new toothpaste containing 8.0% arginine, calcium carbonate, and 1450 ppm fluoride to a benchmark commercial desensitizing toothpaste containing 2% potassium ion: an eight-week clinical study R Docimo
University of Rome at Tor Vergata, Department of Odonto Stomatology, Rome, Italy
J Clin Dent 20:137-43. 2009..0% arginine, calcium carbonate, and 1450 ppm fluoride as sodium monofluorophosphate (MFP), compared to that of a benchmark commercially ..
- Ultrastructure and mineral distribution in the tergal cuticle of the terrestrial isopod Titanethes albus. Adaptations to a karst cave biotopeSabine Hild
Central Facility for Electron Microscopy, University of Ulm, Ulm, Germany
J Struct Biol 168:426-36. 2009..This may possibly be of advantage in maintaining high cuticle flexibility and reducing metabolic expenditures...
- The inhibitory effect of an arginine bicarbonate/calcium carbonate CaviStat-containing dentifrice on the development of dental caries in Venezuelan school childrenAna Maria Acevedo
Institute of Dental Research, Faculty of Dentistry, Central University of Venezuela, Caracas, Venezuela
J Clin Dent 16:63-70. 2005This study assessed the effect of an arginine bicarbonate/calcium carbonate (CaviStat)-containing dentifrice on caries development, mainly in 11- to 12-year-old Venezuelan children over a two-year period.
- A novel extrapallial fluid protein controls the morphology of nacre lamellae in the pearl oyster, Pinctada fucataZhuojun Ma
Institute of Marine Biotechnology, Department of Biological Sciences and Biotechnology, Tsinghua University, Beijing, 100084, China
J Biol Chem 282:23253-63. 2007..Here, a novel 38-kDa extrapallial fluid (EPF) protein, named amorphous calcium carbonate-binding protein (ACCBP), may partially answer this question...
- SensiStat. A new saliva-based composition for simple and effective treatment of dentinal sensitivity painIsrael Kleinberg
Department of Oral Biology and Pathology, State University of New York at Stony Brook, USA
Dent Today 21:42-7. 2002
- Calcite formation in soft coral sclerites is determined by a single reactive extracellular proteinM Azizur Rahman
Department of Earth and Environmental Sciences, Palaeontology and Geobiology, Ludwig Maximilians Universitat, 80333 Munich, Germany
J Biol Chem 286:31638-49. 2011b>Calcium carbonate exists in two main forms, calcite and aragonite, in the skeletons of marine organisms...
- Effect of calcium carbonate on clinical compliance of apatitic calcium phosphate bone cementI Khairoun
Department of Materials Science and Metallurgy, Universitat Politecnica de Catalunya, Barcelona, Spain
J Biomed Mater Res 38:356-60. 1997..This area covered only pastes that could be applied as doughs. However, Biocement D showed a much larger area of full compliance and it covered both doughlike and injectable pastes...
- Aragonite crystallization in primary cell cultures of multicellular isolates from a hard coral, Pocillopora damicornisI J Domart-Coulon
Department of Biology and Division of Comparative Medicine, Johns Hopkins University, 3400 North Charles Street, Baltimore, MD 21218, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 98:11885-90. 2001The foundation of marine coral reef ecosystems is calcium carbonate accumulated primarily by the action of hard corals (Coelenterata: Anthozoa: Scleractinia)...
- Effects of a dietary chitosan and calcium supplement on Ca and P metabolism in catsElisabeth Wagner
Institut für Ernährung, Veterinärmedizinische Universität Wien
Berl Munch Tierarztl Wochenschr 117:310-5. 2004The aim of the present study in cats was to investigate the potential effects of a calcium carbonate and chitosan supplement on blood parameters in aged cats with moderate chronic renal failure and on the mineral balance in adult healthy ..
- Fabrication of hierarchical CaCO3 mesoporous spheres: particle-mediated self-organization induced by biphase interfaces and SAMsXiaohong Liang
College of Chemistry and Chemical Engineering, Graduate University of the Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing, 100049 China
Langmuir 26:5882-8. 2010Highly ordered hierarchical calcium carbonate is an important phase involved in calcification by a wide variety of invertebrate organisms, and its formation is of technological interest in the development of functional materials...
- A Cretaceous scleractinian coral with a calcitic skeletonJaroslaw Stolarski
Institute of Paleobiology, Polish Academy of Sciences, Twarda 51 55, PL 00 818 Warsaw, Poland
Science 318:92-4. 2007..This result implies that corals, like other groups of marine, calcium carbonate-producing organisms, can form skeletons of different carbonate polymorphs.
- Bone formation with various bone graft substitutes in critical-sized rat calvarial defectJin Woo Park
Department of Periodontology, School of Dentistry, Kyungpook National University, Daegu, South Korea
Clin Oral Implants Res 20:372-8. 2009..We compared N-HA alone or in combination with calcium sulfate (CS), with a commercial bone substitute, anorganic bovine bone (Bio-Oss, BO)...
- Otolith matrix proteins OMP-1 and Otolin-1 are necessary for normal otolith growth and their correct anchoring onto the sensory maculaeEmi Murayama
Department of Applied Biological Chemistry, Graduate School of Agricultural and Life Sciences, The University of Tokyo, Bunkyo, 113 8657 Tokyo, Japan
Mech Dev 122:791-803. 2005..They consist mainly of calcium carbonate and a small amount of organic matrix...
- Acute effects of calcium carbonate, calcium citrate and potassium citrate on markers of calcium and bone metabolism in young womenHeini J Karp
Calcium Research Unit, Department of Applied Chemistry and Microbiology, University of Helsinki, Helsinki, Finland
Br J Nutr 102:1341-7. 2009..We compared the effects of calcium carbonate, calcium citrate and potassium citrate on markers of Ca and bone metabolism in young women...
- Sponge paleogenomics reveals an ancient role for carbonic anhydrase in skeletogenesisDaniel J Jackson
Geoscience Centre Göttingen, Department of Geobiology, Goldschmidtstrasse 3, D 37077 Gottingen, Germany
Science 316:1893-5. 2007....
- A novel matrix protein participating in the nacre framework formation of pearl oyster, Pinctada fucataYong Zhang
Department of Biological Sciences and Biotechnology, Tsinghua University, Haidian, 100084, Beijing, PR China
Comp Biochem Physiol B Biochem Mol Biol 135:565-73. 2003..Taken together, we have identified a novel matrix protein of the pearl oyster, which may play an important role in determining the texture of nacre...
- Sea urchin spine calcite forms via a transient amorphous calcium carbonate phaseYael Politi
Department of Structural Biology, 76100 Rehovot, Israel
Science 306:1161-4. 2004..microscopy, we show that sea urchin spine regeneration proceeds via the initial deposition of amorphous calcium carbonate. Because most echinoderms produce the same type of skeletal material, they probably all use this same ..
- A novel nacre protein N19 in the pearl oyster Pinctada fucataMasato Yano
Wakayama Prefecture Collaboration of Regional Entities for the Advancement of Technological Excellence, Japan Science and Technology Agency, Japan
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 362:158-63. 2007..In CaCO(3) precipitation assay, the recombinant N19 protein inhibited the crystallization of CaCO(3). These results indicate that N19 is localized in the nacre and plays a negative regulatory role in calcification in the pearl oyster...
- Rigid biological systems as models for synthetic compositesGeorge Mayer
Department of Materials Science and Engineering, University of Washington, Roberts Hall 335, Box 352120, Seattle, WA 98195 2120, USA
Science 310:1144-7. 2005..Some of the important advantages and limitations of copying from nature are also described here...
- The nacre protein perlucin nucleates growth of calcium carbonate crystalsS Blank
Institut fur Biophysik, FB01 der Universität Bremen, Postfach 330440, 28334 Bremen, Germany
J Microsc 212:280-91. 2003..marine snail Haliotis laevigata on the microscopic scale and the interaction of purified nacre proteins with calcium carbonate crystals on the nanoscopic scale...
- Mucins and molluscan calcification. Molecular characterization of mucoperlin, a novel mucin-like protein from the nacreous shell layer of the fan mussel Pinna nobilis (Bivalvia, pteriomorphia)F Marin
Leiden Institute of Chemistry, Gorlaeus Laboratories, Leiden University, P O Box 9502, 2300 RA Leiden, The Netherlands
J Biol Chem 275:20667-75. 2000....
- Transformation and crystallization energetics of synthetic and biogenic amorphous calcium carbonateA V Radha
Peter A Rock Thermochemistry Laboratory and Nanomaterials in the Environment, Agriculture, and Technology Organized Research Unit NEAT ORU, University of California at Davis, One Shields Avenue, Davis, CA 95616, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 107:16438-43. 2010Amorphous calcium carbonate (ACC) is a metastable phase often observed during low temperature inorganic synthesis and biomineralization...
- Southern Ocean acidification: a tipping point at 450-ppm atmospheric CO2Ben I McNeil
Climate Change Research Centre, Faculty of Science, University of New South Wales, Sydney NSW 2052, Australia
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 105:18860-4. 2008..calcifying plankton species by lowering the concentration of carbonate ion (CO(3)(2-)) to levels where calcium carbonate (both aragonite and calcite) shells begin to dissolve...
- In situ observation of nanograin rotation and deformation in nacreXiaodong Li
Department of Mechanical Engineering, University of South Carolina, 300 Main Street, Columbia, South Carolina 29208, USA
Nano Lett 6:2301-4. 2006..The biopolymer spacing between the nanograins facilitates the grain rotation process. The aragonite nanograins in nacre are not brittle but deformable...
- A gastrolith protein serving a dual role in the formation of an amorphous mineral containing extracellular matrixAssaf Shechter
Department of Life Sciences, Ben Gurion University of the Negev, Beer Sheva 84105, Israel
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 105:7129-34. 2008..crayfish, Cherax quadricarinatus, is fully characterized and its function in the mineralization of amorphous calcium carbonate (ACC) of the extracellular matrix is demonstrated...
- Extracellular matrix production and calcium carbonate precipitation by coral cells in vitroYael Helman
Environmental Biophysics and Molecular Ecology Program and Inorganic Analytical Laboratory, Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences, Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, 71 Dudley Road, New Brunswick, NJ 08901, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 105:54-8. 2008..cell-substrate adhesion; (ii) a skeletal organic matrix (SOM), which facilitates controlled deposition of a calcium carbonate skeleton; and (iii) the calcium carbonate skeleton itself, which provides the structural support for the 3D ..
- Cloning and characterization of Prisilkin-39, a novel matrix protein serving a dual role in the prismatic layer formation from the oyster Pinctada fucataYawei Kong
Institute of Marine Biotechnology, Department of Biological Sciences and Biotechnology, and Protein Science Laboratory of the Ministry of Education, Tsinghua University, Beijing 100084, China
J Biol Chem 284:10841-54. 2009..These observations may extend our view on the rare group of basic matrices and their functions during elaboration of the molluscan shell...
- Factors involved in the formation of amorphous and crystalline calcium carbonate: a study of an ascidian skeletonJoanna Aizenberg
Bell Laboratories Lucent Technologies, 600 Mountain Avenue, Murray Hill, New Jersey 07974, USA
J Am Chem Soc 124:32-9. 2002..Here we describe a composite skeletal tissue from an ascidian in which amorphous and crystalline calcium carbonate coexist in well-defined domains separated by an organic sheath...
- Analysis of proteinaceous components of the organic matrix of endoskeletal sclerites from the alcyonarian Lobophytum crassumM Azizur Rahman
Department of Marine and Environmental Sciences, Faculty of Science, University of the Ryukyus, 1 Senbaru, Nishihara cho, Okinawa 903 0213, Japan
Calcif Tissue Int 78:178-85. 2006..we show that the matrix proteins extracted from the calcitic sclerites induce the formation of amorphous calcium carbonate prior to its transformation into the calcitic crystalline form...
- Nucleation and growth of aragonite crystals at the growth front of nacres in pearl oyster, Pinctada fucataKazuko Saruwatari
Department of Earth and Planetary Science, Graduate School of Science, The University of Tokyo, 7 3 1 Hongo, Bunkyo ku, Tokyo 113 0033, Japan
Biomaterials 30:3028-34. 2009..These results indicate that the crystal growth of aragonite at the growth front results from not only biotic process but also inorganic ones such as geometrical selection and mineral bridges...
- The effects of sevelamer hydrochloride and calcium carbonate on kidney calcification in uremic ratsMario Cozzolino
Renal Division, Department of Internal Medicine, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, Missouri, USA
J Am Soc Nephrol 13:2299-308. 2002..Using an experimental model of CRF, these studies compare sevelamer and calcium carbonate (CaCO(3)) in the control of serum P, secondary hyperparathyroidism (SH), and ectopic calcifications...
- Efficacy, tolerability, and safety of lanthanum carbonate in hyperphosphatemia: a 6-month, randomized, comparative trial versus calcium carbonateA J Hutchison
Manchester Institute of Nephrology and Transplantation, The Royal Infirmary, Manchester, UK
Nephron Clin Pract 100:c8-19. 2005..Existing oral phosphate binders have not permitted control of serum phosphate within currently accepted guidelines. This study compares lanthanum carbonate with calcium carbonate for control of serum phosphate in hemodialysis patients.
- In vitro effects of recombinant otoconin 90 upon calcite crystal growth. Significance of tertiary structureWenfu Lu
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
Hear Res 268:172-83. 2010....
- A novel matrix protein p10 from the nacre of pearl oyster (Pinctada fucata) and its effects on both CaCO3 crystal formation and mineralogenic cellsCen Zhang
Institute of Marine Biotechnology, Department of Biological Sciences and Biotechnology, Tsinghua University, Beijing, 100084, People s Republic of China
Mar Biotechnol (NY) 8:624-33. 2006..In vitro crystallization experiments showed that p10 could accelerate the nucleation of calcium carbonate crystals and induce aragonite formation, suggesting that it might play a key role in nacre biomineralization...
- Multicenter prospective randomized, double-blind comparative study between lanthanum carbonate and calcium carbonate as phosphate binders in Japanese hemodialysis patients with hyperphosphatemiaT Shigematsu
Division of Nephrology and Blood Purification Medicine, Department of Medicine, Wakayama Medical University, School of Medicine, Wakayama City, Japan
Clin Nephrol 70:404-10. 2008..The efficacy of lanthanum carbonate as a phosphate binder for the treatment of hyperphosphatemia has been reported, but not from a double-blind, comparator-controlled comparative study...
- The clinical effect of a single direct topical application of a dentifrice containing 8.0% arginine, calcium carbonate, and 1450 ppm fluoride on dentin hypersensitivity: the use of a cotton swab applicator versus the use of a fingertipT Schiff
Scottsdale Center for Dentistry, San Francisco, CA, USA
J Clin Dent 20:131-6. 2009..0% arginine, calcium carbonate, and 1450 ppm fluoride, as sodium monofluorophosphate (MFP), in providing instant relief of dentin ..
- Structural biology. Choosing the crystallization path less traveledS Weiner
Department of Structural Biology, Weizmann Institute of Science, Rehovot 76100, Israel
Science 309:1027-8. 2005
- A new paradigm for biomineral formation: mineralization via an amorphous liquid-phase precursorMatthew J Olszta
Department of Materials Science and Engineering, University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida 32611, USA
Connect Tissue Res 44:326-34. 2003....
- Otoc1: a novel otoconin-90 ortholog required for otolith mineralization in zebrafishJessica A Petko
Department of Pharmacology, Penn State University College of Medicine, Hershey, PA 17033, USA
Dev Neurobiol 68:209-22. 2008..Otoconia and otoliths are composed of calcium carbonate crystals condensed on a core protein lattice...
- Transformation mechanism of amorphous calcium carbonate into calcite in the sea urchin larval spiculeYael Politi
Department of Structural Biology, Weizmann Institute of Science, Rehovot 76100, Israel
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 105:17362-6. 2008Sea urchin larval spicules transform amorphous calcium carbonate (ACC) into calcite single crystals...
- Heterogeneous uptake and reactivity of formic acid on calcium carbonate particles: a Knudsen cell reactor, FTIR and SEM studyHashim A Al-Hosney
Department of Chemistry, University of Iowa, Iowa City, Iowa 52246, USA
Phys Chem Chem Phys 7:3587-95. 2005..uptake and reactivity of formic acid (HCOOH), a common gas-phase organic acid found in the environment, on calcium carbonate (CaCO(3)) particles have been investigated using a Knudsen cell reactor, Fourier transform infrared (FTIR) ..
- In situ molecular NMR picture of bioavailable calcium stabilized as amorphous CaCO₃ biomineral in crayfish gastrolithsAnat Akiva-Tal
Schulich Faculty of Chemistry and Russell Berrie Nanotechnology Institute, Technion Israel Institute of Technology, Haifa 32000 Israel
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 108:14763-8. 2011..calcium is maintained by some crustaceans, in particular freshwater crayfish, by stabilizing amorphous calcium carbonate (ACC) within reservoir organs--gastroliths, readily providing the Ca(2+) needed to build a new exoskeleton...
- Clinical evaluation of the efficacy of an in-office desensitizing paste containing 8% arginine and calcium carbonate in providing instant and lasting relief of dentin hypersensitivityThomas Schiff
Scottsdale Center for Dentistry, San Francisco, California, USA
Am J Dent 22:8A-15A. 2009To determine the efficacy of an in-office desensitizing paste containing 8% arginine and calcium carbonate relative to that of a commercially-available pumice prophylaxis paste in reducing dentin hypersensitivity instantly after a single ..
- Mechanical properties of modern calcite- (Mergerlia truncata) and phosphate-shelled brachiopods (Discradisca stella and Lingula anatina) determined by nanoindentationCasjen Merkel
Department für Geo und Umweltwissenschaften and GeoBioCenter, LMU Munich, Germany
J Struct Biol 168:396-408. 2009..The strongly mineralized laminae, which provide the strength to the shell, are also brittle, but keeping them as thin as possible, allows some bending flexibility. This flexibility is not required for the epibenthic life style...
- Rheological properties of calcium carbonate self-setting injectable pasteC Combes
Universite de Toulouse, CIRIMAT, UPS INPT CNRS, ENSIACET, 4, allée Emile Monso, BP 74233, 31432 Toulouse Cedex 4, France
Acta Biomater 6:920-7. 2010..5 kg, revealing the ease of injection of this CaCO(3) self-setting paste...
- Raman spectroscopic study of the mineral composition of cirratulid tubes (Annelida, Polychaeta)Paul D Taylor
Department of Palaeontology, Natural History Museum, London SW7 5BD, United Kingdom
J Struct Biol 171:402-5. 2010..Similarly, the mineralogies of the earliest skeletons matched seawater chemistry in three other polychaete groups that independently evolved calcareous skeletons...
- Evidence for calcium carbonate at the Mars Phoenix landing siteW V Boynton
Lunar and Planetary Laboratory, University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ 85721, USA
Science 325:61-4. 2009..b>Calcium carbonate (approximately 3 to 5 weight percent) has been identified in the soils around the Phoenix landing site by ..
- Control of crystal polymorph in microfluidics using molluscan 28 kDa Ca²(+)-binding proteinBozhi Ji
Department of Geographical and Earth Sciences, University of Glasgow, UK
Integr Biol (Camb) 2:528-35. 2010....
- CALCIUM IN THE PREVENTION OF NEOPLASTIC POLYPSJohn Baron; Fiscal Year: 2003..The trial studied whether supplementation with calcium carbonate (1200 mg calcium per day) prevented the recurrence of colorectal adenomas in 930 patients with a recent ..
- Utilization of calcite for the reduction of coal mine dust toxicityXi Huang; Fiscal Year: 2010..This innovative dust mitigation strategy to reduce dust toxicity does not require sophisticated engineering breakthrough and could prevent occupational lung diseases in underground coal workers. ..
- Regulation of Adipose Tissue Inflammation and Insulin Resistance by T Cell SubsetERICA LYN STONE; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- Tat mediation of HIV-associated mood disorders via functional deficits in brainJay P McLaughlin; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- Dietary Marine Algae Extract and Colon Cancer ChemopreventionJames Varani; Fiscal Year: 2010..As controls, other mice will be fed the high fat diet supplemented with inorganic Ca2+ (calcium carbonate)...
- Advanced Training in Environmental Health SciencesPamela J Lein; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- Genetic Regulation of interferon Alpha in Human LupusTimothy B Niewold; Fiscal Year: 2013..Our findings could allow for more specific and personalized therapies targeting the IFN-a pathway in human SLE, and may suggest preventive strategies. ..
- Dissecting Biomineralization by Mining the Transcriptome of Three Closely RelatedBETSY ANNE READ; Fiscal Year: 2013..third most prominent group of phytoplankton with over 300 extant species, each of which displays a unique calcium carbonate cell covering...
- Modeling Professional Attitudes and Teaching Humanistic Communication in VRFREDERICK WILLIAM KRON; Fiscal Year: 2013..At the end of Phase II, MCW will have created a ground-breaking software program that can be used to teach medical students the ACGME competencies that all physicians should demonstrate when caring for a patient with terminal illness. ..
- Matrix Component Interactions in Bone, Dentin, and Invertebrate MineralArthur Veis; Fiscal Year: 2013..abstract_text> ..
- Colorectal Chemoprevention with Calcium and Vitamin DJOHN ANTHONY BARON; Fiscal Year: 2013..A total of 2259 subjects have been randomized to calcium carbonate (1200 mg calcium/day), vitamin D (1000 IU/day), both agents, or placebo...
- Characterization of Small Silencing RNAs in Emiliania HuxleyiXiaoyu Zhang; Fiscal Year: 2013..provided by applicant): Coccolithophorids are marine phytoplanktons that produce elegantly sculptured calcium carbonate cell coverings known as coccoliths. Emiliania huxleyi (E...
- Molecular Characterization of Key Proteins Directing Otoconial MineralizationRUEDIGER R THALMANN; Fiscal Year: 2013..In the normal aging process and numerous diseases otoconia degenerate, resulting in loss of equilibrium, agility, falls, and bone fracture-the leading cause of accidental death in the elderly. ..
- Translational Neuroscientist and the Hope CenterAlison M Goate; Fiscal Year: 2010..It is anticipated that these pilot projects will develop into larger collaborative projects such new program projects. ..
- SHORT TERM TRAINING IN HEALTH PROFESSIONAL SCHOOLSROBINNA G LORENZ; Fiscal Year: 2013..In summary, the data indicate that this Short Term Training Program has been successful at achieving its goals. Thus, in the present application, we are requesting funding to continue this training program for another five years. ..
- EFFECTS OF BILE ACIDS ON CALCIUM AND IRON ABSORPTIONEdward Moore; Fiscal Year: 1990..Studies are also proposed to determine possible enhancement of ileal Ca++, Fe++ and Fe++ absorption by bile salt transport...
- Training in Drug Abuse Research: Behavior and NeurobiologyCharles P France; Fiscal Year: 2013..This program provides rigorous interdisciplinary training in behavioral and neurobiological research, thereby addressed a national demand for addiction scientists who can succeed in the current translational research environment. ..
- RECTAL MUCOSAL PROLIFERATION INDICES--EFFECTS OF CALCIUMJohn Baron; Fiscal Year: 1992..They are randomized to receive either daily calcium carbonate supplementation (1200 mg calcium) or placebo, and undergo surveillance colonoscopy approximately one year ..
- IRON, CALCIUM AND OXIDATIVE STRESS IN LUNG INJURYXi Huang; Fiscal Year: 2001..By determining the role of calcite, it is possible to propose alternative methods for lung disease prevention. ..
- CLINICAL TRAILS IN PEDIATRIC RHEUMATOLOGYDaniel Lovell; Fiscal Year: 2004..trial (RCT) to determine the efficacy of daily oral calcium supplementation (1000 mg/day of calcium carbonate) for two years to increase total body bone mineral density (TB BMD) by 10% (1...
- CONCENTRATED AEROSOL DELIVERY AND QUANTIZATION SYSTEMLID WONG; Fiscal Year: 1999..This system can also act as a forerunner for the development of technologies for measuring cardiopulmonary function and aerosol deliveries to premature infants. ..
- Gene Regulatory Networks for DevelopmentWilliam S Reznikoff; Fiscal Year: 2013..Course faculty includes experts in genomics, molecular genetics, gene regulatory mechanisms, bioinformatics, computation and graphic design, and development. ..
- Training Program in Biomolecular TechnologyBruce D Hammock; Fiscal Year: 2013..The Program is designed to recruit and support trainees who show exceptional promise and to immerse them in an environment that will prepare them to be independent scientists who will advance the field of US health research. ..
- Behavioral consequences of 5-lipoxygenase deficiencyRadmila Manev; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Multidisciplinary training in cardiovascular biologyPeter Francis Davies; Fiscal Year: 2013..Participation is mandatory in the benchmark Interdisciplinary Seminar Series (>40 lectures/year) and biweekly Chalk Talks. Minority (3 of 11) and Women representation (6of 11) is strong. ..
- Mechanical Induced Resonant Mixing for Islet SeparationFANGXIAO YANG; Fiscal Year: 2004..A salient feature of the resonant mixing technology is its capacity as compact and flexible tissue digestion reactor for a broad range of cell separation and purification processes. ..
- CHARACTERIZATION/ISOLATION--BIOCALCIFICATION INHIBITORSSYBIL BURGESS; Fiscal Year: 1992..Water soluble biomolecules which inhibit calcium carbonate precipitation in vitro, are present in the crab's nascent premolt cuticle...
- Aberrant Crypt Foci as a Biomarker for ChemopreventionFrank Sinicrope; Fiscal Year: 2009..patients with prior advanced colonic adenomas or carcinomas evaluating aspirin alone and in combination with calcium carbonate or difluoromethylornithine over a 12 month period...
- INTERPLAY OF BIOLOGICAL AND PHYSICAL PROCESSES IN OTOCONIAL MORPHOGENESISRuediger Thalmann; Fiscal Year: 2009..Information gained should ultimately provide means to slow down the deleterious effects of aging on otoconia, in a manner similar to our ability to prevent and/or ameliorate dental caries or osteoporosis. ..
- BIOCHEMISTRY OF EMBRYONIC SKELETON FORMATIONWilliam Lennarz; Fiscal Year: 1990..In the sea urchin embryo the skeleton (spicule), composed mainly of crystalline calcium carbonate, is synthesized by primary mesenchyme cells...
- 4 iron-4sulfur Clusters in Aging and Alzheimer's DiseaseValter Longo; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- ALPHA-SENSE THERAPY OF DIABETIC GLOMERULOSCLEROSISN STANLEY NAHMAN JR; Fiscal Year: 2000..studies seek to improve glomerular gene delivery through the use of biodegradable microspheres (composed of calcium carbonate, CalCarb) and a novel, second generation adenovector (LoxAv) which, lacking all non-essential viral DNA, ..
- SYMPOSIUM ON THE BIOLOGY & THERAPY OF OVARIAN CANCERRobert Ozols; Fiscal Year: 1990..The Proceedings of the meeting will be published after peer review within one year to allow rapid dissemination of this information to basic scientists and clinicians involved in the treatment of ovarian cancer...
- CAREER DEVELOPMENT IN WOMEN'S HEALTH RESEARCH AND GENDE*Ellen Freeman; Fiscal Year: 2006..The BIRCWH program will track the career trajectories of Scholars and will continue to serve as a resource in terms of career counseling and research advice. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Cloning and Analysis of Head Tilt, A Vestibular MutantDAVID BERGSTROM; Fiscal Year: 2003..In preliminary studies, the pathology of this mutant has revealed a complete absence of otoconia, the calcium carbonate crystals that stimulate the vestibular maculae during linear acceleration and gravity...
- EPIDEMIOLOGIC METHODS FOR ESTIMATING AIRBORNE EXPOSURESDavid Kriebel; Fiscal Year: 1992..Results are compared to those obtained by more conventional methods. Studies will focus on the bronchoconstrictive effects of: ozone, irritating dusts generated in the processing of borates and limestone, and of welding fume...
- 'Training in Endocrinology and Neurobiology of Aging'Caleb Finch; Fiscal Year: 2007..Opportunities for human studies on aging, including ethnic differences in aging processes, are provided through the Alzheimer Disease Research Center and the Diabetes Research Center. ..
- CO2 REMOVAL IN CLOSED LOOP VENTILATION SYSTEMSJ Montoya; Fiscal Year: 1992A system is proposed that continuously removes carbon dioxide from exhaled gas without the use of calcium carbonate crystals...
- Otopetrin 1: a novel regulator intracellular calciumInna Hughes; Fiscal Year: 2006..may be involved in the early steps of otoconial formation, in particular, the nucleation and growth of calcium carbonate crystals around an organic core...
- Signaling activities of amelogenin gene splice products.Arthur Veis; Fiscal Year: 2006..In this revision, more experimental details have been provided. ..
- STRUCTURAL STUDIES OF MATRIX PROTEINS IN TEETH AND BONESSTEPHEN WEINER; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- BONY EFFECTS OF TRANSIENT NONSKELETAL ILLNESSRobert Heaney; Fiscal Year: 2001....
- Bone-Sparing by Ca Salts With & Without Extra PhosphorusRobert Heaney; Fiscal Year: 2008..The salt most commonly used for these purposes is calcium carbonate. But while the average P intake tends to be adequate or generous, nevertheless substantial proportions of ..
- STRUCTURE & ASSEMBLY OF COLLAGEN MOLECULES & FIBRILSArthur Veis; Fiscal Year: 2004..The final study (4) will examine N-telopeptide structures as related to molecular assembly into fibrils and the cross-link patterns that modulate packing. These studies will help in understanding dysfunction in humans. ..
- ANXIETY, DISINHIBITION, AND RISK FOR DRUG ABUSEKimberly Yonkers; Fiscal Year: 2003..phenotypic indices of vulnerability using combinations of clinical and psychophysiological measures. ..
- GENETICS OF RECURRENT EARLY-ONSET DEPRESSION (GENRED)GEORGE ZUBENKO; Fiscal Year: 2002..A timetable is proposed for rapid sharing of all biological materials, blinded clinical data, genotypes and linkage analyses with the scientific community through the NIMH-sponsored Center for Genetic Studies. ..
- 24,25-DIHYDROXYVITAMIN D: MARKER OF SALT SENSITIVITYConnie Weaver; Fiscal Year: 2001..Furthermore, they should provide an explanation for the paradox that blacks can build higher bone density, have a lower rate of bone turnover, and excrete less urinary calcium on the same sodium loads compared to whites. ..
- DETECTION AND TREATMENT OF POSTPARTUM DEPRESSIONKimberly Yonkers; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- Molecular modulation of calcium oxalate crystallizationJames De Yoreo; Fiscal Year: 2005..The knowledge derived from our studies will assist in the design of inhibitory molecules that are potentially useful in therapy of stone disease. ..
- In-vivo intravascular autoradiography with storage phosphor detectorPOLAD SHIKHALIEV; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Effects of Perinatal Depression on PTD and LBWKimberly Yonkers; Fiscal Year: 2008..Further, if we determine antidepressants increase the risk of adverse perinatal outcomes, treatment with psychotherapy rather than antidepressants should be considered when recommending therapeutic options. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- MORPHOLOGIC/NEUROCHEMICAL CORRELATES OF DEPRESSION IN ADGEORGE ZUBENKO; Fiscal Year: 2009..abstract_text> ..
- DEVELOPMENTAL EFFECTS OF METHAMPHETAMINE-LIKE STIMULANTSCharles Vorhees; Fiscal Year: 2009..The number of prenatally MA exposed children continues to grow. Our goal is to develop models of early MA exposure that permit an understanding of the long-term consequences on brain development and cognition. ..
- Determination of RDA for Vitamin D in Caucasian and African American WomenJohn Gallagher; Fiscal Year: 2009..The results from this study will also help in designing future larger clinical trials of the effect of vitamin D on falls and fractures. ..
- Compact, low-maintenance MRI system for animal lung imagingDEAN KUETHE; Fiscal Year: 2007..In Phase II, we will integrate the permanent magnet with compact electronics to create a prototype small animal imaging system. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- MECHANISM OF HARD TISSUE MINERALIZATIONAdele L Boskey; Fiscal Year: 2010..Aim 3: To determine whether DSPP and BGN interact synergistically during the collagen-based in vitro mineralization process using in vitro and in situ analyses. ..
- ROLE OF PARATHYROID HORMONE IN RENAL OSTEODYSTROPHYIsidro B Salusky; Fiscal Year: 2009..The results of the study should provide new information on the relationship between PTH and bone formation in CKD and they are likely to have important implications for the diagnosis and treatment of renal osteodystrophy. ..
- In Vivo BM Stem Cell Gene Transfer for MPS type IDao Pan; Fiscal Year: 2006..Taken together, these data would not only open a door to a novel approach for treatment of human diseases, but also provide a new tool to study adult stem cell plasticity and the nature of hematopoiesis. ..
- Micro-computed tomography system (Micro-CT)Adele Boskey; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..