Summary: A compound used as an x-ray contrast medium that occurs in nature as the mineral barite. It is also used in various manufacturing applications and mixed into heavy concrete to serve as a radiation shield.
Publications231 found, 100 shown here
- Fluoroscopy-assisted thoracoscopic surgery after computed tomography-guided bronchoscopic barium markingT Okumura
Thoracic Surgery Division, National Cancer Center Hospital, Tokyo, Japan
Ann Thorac Surg 71:439-42. 2001..CONCLUSIONS: This procedure is both a reliable and minimally invasive technique in thoracoscopic wedge resection for small peripheral pulmonary lesions...
- The influence of nano MgO and BaSO4 particle size additives on properties of PMMA bone cementAlyssa Ricker
Divisions of Engineering and Orthopaedics, 184 Hope Street, Brown University, Providence, RI 02912, USA
Int J Nanomedicine 3:125-32. 2008..This study, thus, suggests that nanoparticles of MgO and BaSO4 should be further studied for improving properties of PMMA for orthopedic applications...
- Micro-computed tomography of fatigue microdamage in cortical bone using a barium sulfate contrast agentHuijie Leng
Department of Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering, The University of Notre Dame, Notre Dame, Indiana 46556, USA
J Mech Behav Biomed Mater 1:68-75. 2008..the accumulation of fatigue microdamage in cortical bone using micro-computed tomography (micro-CT) with a barium sulfate (BaSO(4)) contrast agent...
- Ytterbium trifluoride as a radiopaque agent for dental cementsF M Collares
Department of Conservative Dentistry, School of Dentistry, Federal University of Rio Grande do Sul, Porto Alegre, Brazil
Int Endod J 43:792-7. 2010..To evaluate the radiopacity, degree of conversion (DC) and flexural strength of an experimental dental cement, with several added radiopaque substances...
- Does the transition zone reliably delineate aganglionic bowel in Hirschsprung's disease?Douglas H Jamieson
Department of Radiology, BCCH, 4480 Oak Street, V6H 3V4, Vancouver, BC, Canada
Pediatr Radiol 34:811-5. 2004..Knowledge of the extent of aganglionic bowel is important for preoperative planning of trans-anal surgery in patients with Hirschsprung's disease (HD)...
- Radiopacity of experimental composite resins containing radiopaque materialsYujin Aoyagi
Advanced Biomaterials, Department of Restorative Sciences, Division of Oral Health Sciences, Graduate School, Tokyo Medical and Dental University, Yushima 1 5 45, Bunkyo ku, Tokyo 113 8549, Japan
Dent Mater J 24:315-20. 2005..Nevertheless, both measurement methods indicated that radiopacity increased with increase in radiopaque material content as well as increase in atomic number of the element...
- Massive aspiration of barium sulfate during an upper gastrointestinal examination in a child with dysphagiaChih Yung Chiu
Division of Pediatric Pulmonology, Chang Gung Children s Hospital, 5, Fu Hsin Street, Kueishan, Taoyuan, Taiwan, ROC
Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 69:541-4. 2005b>Barium sulfate is an agent used widely as a contrast material for imaging studies of the gastrointestinal tract and is not inherently toxic to lung tissue...
- Effect of barium sulfate contrast medium on rheology and sensory texture attributes in a model foodO Ekberg
Diagnostic Centre of Imaging and Functional Medicine, Department of Clinical Sciences Medical Radiology, Malmo University Hospital, Malmo, Sweden
Acta Radiol 50:131-8. 2009The swallowing process can be visualized using videoradiography, by mixing food with contrast medium, e.g., barium sulfate (BaSO(4)), making it radiopaque. The sensory properties of foods may be affected by adding this medium.
- Ultrathin bronchoscopic barium marking with virtual bronchoscopic navigation for fluoroscopy-assisted thoracoscopic surgeryFumihiro Asano
Department of Internal Medicine, National Health Insurance Sekigahara Hospital, 2490 29 Sekigahara cho, Fuwa gun, Gifu 503 1514, Japan
Chest 126:1687-93. 2004..We then evaluated the feasibility, safety, and efficacy of this technique...
- Fluoroscopy-guided barium marking for localizing small pulmonary lesions before video-assisted thoracic surgeryYoshinobu Iwasaki
Department of Medicine, Division of Pulmonary Medicine, Kyoto Prefectural University of Medicine, 465 Kawaramachi Hirokoji, Kamigyo ku, Kyoto 602, Japan
Respir Med 99:285-9. 2005..To evaluate the effectiveness of fluoroscopy-guided barium marking for localization of small peripheral pulmonary lesions before video-assisted thoracic surgery (VATS) resection...
- Gastro intestinal tracking and gastric emptying of solid dosage forms in rats using X-ray imagingSigal Saphier
The Department of Organic Chemistry, Israel Institute for Biological Research, Ness Ziona, Israel
Int J Pharm 388:190-5. 2010..Commercial gelatin minicapsules were filled with barium sulfate and enterically coated using Eudragit S100...
- A comparison of colonoscopy and double-contrast barium enema for surveillance after polypectomy. National Polyp Study Work GroupS J Winawer
Department of Medicine, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York, NY 10021, USA
N Engl J Med 342:1766-72. 2000..After patients have undergone colonoscopic polypectomy, it is uncertain whether colonoscopic examination or a barium enema is the better method of surveillance...
- Analysis of air contrast barium enema, computed tomographic colonography, and colonoscopy: prospective comparisonD C Rockey
Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 27710, USA
Lancet 365:305-11. 2005..We aimed to assess the sensitivity of these three imaging tests...
- The occurrence of anular tears and their relation to lifetime back pain history: a cadaveric study using barium sulfate discographyTapio Videman
University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 29:2668-76. 2004..The occurrence of anular tears and general disc degeneration of the lumbar spine was studied in relation to the lifetime frequency of back pain...
- Comparison of the relative sensitivity of CT colonography and double-contrast barium enema for screen detection of colorectal polypsC Daniel Johnson
Department of Radiology, Mayo Clinic Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 2:314-21. 2004....
- Analysis of factors influencing aspiration risk following chemoradiation for oropharyngeal cancerN P Nguyen
Department of Radiation Oncology, University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ 85724 5081, USA
Br J Radiol 82:675-80. 2009..Patients with large tumours had a significant risk of developing aspiration following treatment...
- National audit of the sensitivity of double-contrast barium enema for colorectal carcinoma, using control charts For the Royal College of Radiologists Clinical Radiology Audit Sub-CommitteeD J Tawn
Clinical Radiology Audit Sub Committee, Royal College of Radiologists, London, UK
Clin Radiol 60:558-64. 2005..To audit the sensitivity of double-contrast barium enema (DCBE) for colorectal carcinoma, as currently practised in UK departments of radiology...
- Flexible sigmoidoscopy plus air contrast barium enema versus colonoscopy for suspected lower gastrointestinal bleedingD K Rex
Department of Medicine, Indiana University Medical Center, Indianapolis
Gastroenterology 98:855-61. 1990..However, initial colonoscopy is more cost effective for those aged greater than or equal to 55 yr...
- Assessment of the usefulness of a diagnostic test: a survey of patient preference for diagnostic techniques in the evaluation of intestinal inflammationR L Nelson
Department of Surgery, Section of Nuclear Medicine, University of Illinois College of Medicine at Chicago, USA
BMC Med Res Methodol 1:5. 2001..Mean rank scores were calculated, test ranks compared within groups and significance determined by the Wilcoxon rank test...
- Symptom-based approach to colorectal cancer: survey of primary care physicians in ItalyF Panzuto
Department of Digestive and Liver Disease, II School of Medicine, Sant Andrea Hospital, La Sapienza University, Rome, Italy
Dig Liver Dis 35:869-75. 2003..It is likely that most patients with colorectal cancer refer, first of all, to their primary care physician at onset of symptoms...
- Nanofunctionalized zirconia and barium sulfate particles as bone cement additivesRiaz Gillani
Division of Engineering and Department of Orthopaedics, Brown University, 184 Hope Street, Providence, RI 02912, USA
Int J Nanomedicine 5:1-11. 2010Zirconia (ZrO(2)) and barium sulfate (BaSO(4)) particles were introduced into a methyl methacrylate monomer (MMA) solution with polymethyl methacrylate (PMMA) beads during polymerization to develop the following novel bone cements: bone ..
- Tagging-based, electronically cleansed CT colonography: evaluation of patient comfort and image readabilityMichael E Zalis
Division of Abdominal Imaging and Interventional Radiology, Department of Radiology, Massachusetts General Hospital, White 270, 55 Fruit Street, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Radiology 239:149-59. 2006..To prospectively compare the homogeneity, adequacy, and patient acceptance of nonionic iodine-based regimens with those of a barium-based regimen for computed tomographic (CT) colonography with electronic subtraction cleansing...
- Prospective comparison of patient experience with colon imaging testsHayden B Bosworth
Center for Health Services Research in Primary Care, Durham VA Medical Center, Durham, NC, USA
Am J Med 119:791-9. 2006..We examined differences in patient experience with colon imaging tests and whether they varied with gender, age, and race...
- CT colonography after fecal tagging with a reduced cathartic cleansing and a reduced volume of bariumPhilippe Lefere
Department of Radiology, Stedelijk Ziekenhuis, Bruggesteenweg 90, Roeselare B 8800, Belgium
AJR Am J Roentgenol 184:1836-42. 2005..The objective of our study was to assess the efficacy of fecal tagging with a small volume of barium in combination with a reduced cathartic cleansing before CT colonography...
- Laxative-free CT colonographyPhilippe Lefere
Department of Radiology, Stedelijk Ziekenhuis, Bruggesteenweg 90, Roeselare B 8800, Belgium
AJR Am J Roentgenol 183:945-8. 2004
- Colorectal cancer screening with CT colonography, colonoscopy, and double-contrast barium enema examination: prospective assessment of patient perceptions and preferencesThomas M Gluecker
Department of Radiology, Mayo Clinic Rochester, 200 First Street SW, MN 55905, USA
Radiology 227:378-84. 2003..To prospectively assess and compare perceptions of and preferences for computed tomographic (CT) colonography, colonoscopy, and double-contrast barium enema examination (DCBE) by asymptomatic patients undergoing colorectal cancer screening...
- Effect of unintentionally extruded calcium hydroxide paste including barium sulfate as a radiopaquing agent in treatment of teeth with periapical lesions: report of a caseHasan Orucoglu
Department of Endodontics, Faculty of Dentistry, Selcuk University, Konya, Turkey
J Endod 34:888-91. 2008..To provide radiopacity, barium sulfate (BaSO4) powder is usually added to the paste...
- Colorectal cancer: screening double-contrast barium enema examination in average-risk adults older than 50 yearsJustin W Kung
Department of Radiology, Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, 3400 Spruce St, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Radiology 240:725-35. 2006....
- Acute colonic obstruction from Ladd bands: a unique complication from intestinal malrotationTal Raphaeli
Department of Surgery, Virginia Mason Medical Center, Seattle, WA 98115, USA
J Pediatr Surg 45:630-1. 2010..However, acute obstruction of the colon from Ladd bands has not been previously described. We report a case of complete obstruction of the hepatic flexure of the colon secondary to a Ladd band in a previously healthy teenage boy...
- Double-contrast barium enema: use in practice and implications for CT colonographyJoseph T Ferrucci
Department of Radiology, Boston Medical Center, Boston University School of Medicine, 88 East Newton, Atrium 2, Boston, MA 02118, USA
AJR Am J Roentgenol 187:170-3. 2006..This study examines the use and yield of double-contrast barium enemas (DCBEs) for colorectal polyp detection in current clinical practice outside the research setting...
- CT colonography without cathartic preparation: feasibility studyM R Callstrom
Department of Diagnostic Radiology, Mayo Clinic, 200 First St SW, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Radiology 219:693-8. 2001..Sensitivity for polyp detection in patients with adequate stool labeling approaches the sensitivity for polyp detection in prepared colons...
- Mechanical performance of acrylic bone cements containing different radiopacifying agentsM P Ginebra
Department of Materials Science and Metallurgical Engineering, Research Centre in Biomedical Engineering CREB, Universitat Politecnica de Catalunya, Barcelona, Spain
Biomaterials 23:1873-82. 2002..When the iodine containing monomer was used, although the tensile strength and the fracture toughness increased, the fatigue crack propagation resistance remained as low as it was for the radiolucent cement...
- Critical analysis of the performance of double-contrast barium enema for detecting colorectal polyps > or = 6 mm in the era of CT colonographyJacob Sosna
Department of Radiology, Hadassah Hebrew University Medical Center, POB 12000, Jerusalem, Israel
AJR Am J Roentgenol 190:374-85. 2008..The purpose of our study was to perform a meta-analysis comparing the performance of double-contrast barium enema (DCBE) with CT colonography (CTC) for the detection of colorectal polyps > or = 6 mm using endoscopy as the gold standard...
- Colorectal cancer screening with double-contrast barium enema: a national survey of diagnostic radiologistsCarrie N Klabunde
Health Services and Economics Branch, Applied Research Program, National Cancer Institute, Executive Plaza North, Rm 4005, 6130 Executive Blvd, Bethesda, MD 20892 7344, USA
AJR Am J Roentgenol 179:1419-27. 2002....
- Radiation dose in mass screening for gastric cancer with high-concentration barium sulfate compared with moderate-concentration barium sulfateK Yamamoto
Graduate School of Health Sciences, Okayama University, Okayama, Japan
Australas Phys Eng Sci Med 32:88-91. 2009Recently, high-concentration barium sulfate has been developed and is used in many medical facilities. This study compared radiation dose using high-concentration and moderate-concentration barium sulfate...
- Double-contrast barium enema examination techniqueS E Rubesin
Department of Radiology, Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Radiology 215:642-50. 2000..The fluoroscopist analyzes the luminal contour, the barium-coated mucosal surface en face, and the barium pool to detect abnormalities in the colon. With careful technique, a high-quality examination can be performed in most patients...
- Severe barium sulfate aspirationinto the lung: clinical presentation, prognosis and therapyI Tamm
Abteilung Hämatologie und Onkologie, Medizinische Universit atsklinik, Freiburg, Deutschland
Respiration 66:81-4. 1999Aspiration of large amounts of barium sulfate is a rare incident during radiographic contrast procedures...
- Correlation between radiographic transition zone and level of aganglionosis in Hirschsprung's disease: Implications for surgical approachM L Proctor
Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
J Pediatr Surg 38:775-8. 2003..The anticipated level of aganglionosis can influence the surgical approach to Hirschsprung's disease. The aim of this study was to determine the accuracy of the contrast enema in predicting this level...
- Patient and occupational dosimetry in double contrast barium enema examinationsG J Kemerink
Department of Radiology, University Hospital Maastricht, P Debijelaan 25, 6229 HX Maastricht, The Netherlands
Br J Radiol 74:420-8. 2001..Entrance and effective doses per examination for workers in DCBE examinations are very low. For a normal workload, doses remain far below the legally established dose limits...
- Colorectal cancer screening: a review of the evidenceSuzanne M Mahon
Division of Hematology Oncology, Saint Louis University, Missouri, USA
Clin J Oncol Nurs 8:536-40. 2004
- Review article: balancing the ideal versus the practical-considerations of colorectal cancer prevention and screeningD A Lieberman
Portland Veterans Administration Hospital P3 GI, Portland, Oregon 97239 1034, USA
Aliment Pharmacol Ther 19:71-6. 2004..The challenge in reducing the incidence and mortality of this disease lies in increasing accessibility to and compliance with screening and delivery within a quality assured programme...
- The new NHS colorectal cancer screening programme and the potential role of radiology?V A Sahni
Intestinal Imaging Centre, Level 4V, St Mark s Hospital, Watford Road, Harrow, Middlesex HA1 3UJ, UK
Br J Radiol 80:778-81. 2007....
- Observer variation in the detection of colorectal neoplasia on double-contrast barium enema: implications for colorectal cancer screening and trainingS Halligan
Intestinal Imaging Centre, St Mark s Hospital, Northwick Park, HA1 3UJ, London, UK
Clin Radiol 58:948-54; discussion 945-7. 2003..To assess inter-observer error for the diagnosis of neoplasia on double contrast barium enema (DCBE) in the light of claims that no additional interpretative training would be needed for implementation in a national screening programme...
- Computed tomography colonography in routine clinical practiceTeresa M Gallo
Radiology Unit and Gastroenterology Unit, Institute for Cancer Research and Treatment, Candiolo, Italy
Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol 15:1323-31. 2003..To describe the experience of a radiology unit in using open access computed tomography (CT) colonography instead of double-contrast barium enema in patients who refused or had an incomplete first-attempt colonoscopy...
- Screening for colorectal cancer--now and the near futureMatthew Q Bromer
Gastroenterology Division, Temple University Medical School, Philadelphia, PA, USA
Semin Oncol 32:3-10. 2005..Newer techniques, particularly virtual colonoscopy (VC) and stool DNA testing, may offer attractive alternatives for healthcare provider recommendation and patient use...
- Accuracy of radiographic assessment for the diagnosis of invasion depth in small invasive colorectal cancerT Matsumoto
Departments of Medicine and Clinical Science and Anatomic Pathology, Graduate School of Medical Sciences, Kyushu University, Maidashi 3 1 1, Higashi ku, Fukuoka 812 8582, Japan
Br J Radiol 76:611-6. 2003..023) were significantly higher in CRCs <or=10 mm than in those >10 mm. These findings suggest that barium radiography is a procedure which can give useful information in prediction of invasion depth in CRCs <or=10 mm in size...
- Acceptance by patients of multidetector CT colonography compared with barium enema examinations, flexible sigmoidoscopy, and colonoscopyStuart A Taylor
Department of Intestinal Imaging, Intestinal Imaging Centre, Level 4V, St Mark s Hospital, Watford Rd, Northwick Park, London HA1 3UJ, United Kingdom
AJR Am J Roentgenol 181:913-21. 2003..Questionnaires were also completed by 140 patients undergoing double-contrast barium enema examinations. Responses were compared using Wilcoxon's matched pairs test and the Mann-Whitney test...
- Diagnostic imaging reviewJulie Vajnar
Radiology Group at North Oaks Health System, Hammond, Louisiana, USA
JAAPA 20:64, 66. 2007
- Angiodysplasia mimicking colon cancer: colonoscopy, double contrast barium enema, and CT findingsMing Lun Chiu
Department of Medical Imaging, Kaohsiung Medical University, Chung Ho Memorial Hospital, No 100 Tz You 1st Rd, Kaohsiung 807, Taiwan
AJR Am J Roentgenol 188:W456-8. 2007
- Delivery of cancer screening: how important is the preventive health examination?Joshua J Fenton
Department of Family and Community Medicine, University of California, Davis, Sacramento, CA 95817, USA
Arch Intern Med 167:580-5. 2007..Patients and physicians strongly endorse the importance of preventive or periodic health examinations (PHEs). However, the extent to which PHEs contribute to the delivery of cancer screening is uncertain...
- Modes of presentation and pathways to diagnosis of colorectal cancer in QueenslandBrigid M Lynch
Viertel Centre for Research in Cancer Control, Queensland Cancer Fund, Brisbane, QLD
Med J Aust 186:288-91. 2007..To describe the process of colorectal cancer diagnosis in Queensland, and to determine factors associated with time to diagnosis...
- Low-dose CT colonography in children: initial experience, technical feasibility, and utilitySudha Anupindi
Department of Radiology, Massachusetts General Hospital, 55 Fruit St, White 246, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Pediatr Radiol 35:518-24. 2005..Large studies in the literature, although focused on adult populations, have shown CTC to be a safe, accurate, non-invasive technique...
- Colorectal cancer. Which test is best?Bridget A Cahill
Gastrointestinal Oncology Program, Northwestern Medical Faculty Foundation, Chicago, USA
Adv Nurse Pract 13:71-4. 2005
- Value of virtual computed tomographic colonography for Crohn's colitis: comparison with endoscopy and barium enemaY Ota
Department of Gastroenterology, Fukuoka University Chikushi Hospital, Zokumyoin 377 1, Chikushino Shi, Fukuoka, 818 8502, Japan
Abdom Imaging 28:778-83. 2003..We evaluated the usefulness of virtual computed tomographic colonography (CTC) for the detection of colonic lesions due to Crohn's disease...
- Chronic diverticulitis: clinical, radiographic, and pathologic findingsLaura Sheiman
Department of Radiology, Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, 3400 Spruce St, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
AJR Am J Roentgenol 191:522-8. 2008..The purpose of our study is to present a series of 14 patients with chronic diverticulitis on barium enema examinations and to correlate the radiographic findings with the clinical and pathologic findings in these patients...
- Is there still a role for double-contrast barium enema examination?Cheri L Canon
Department of Radiology, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, Alabama 35249 6830, USA
Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 6:389-92. 2008..This review will discuss the current indications for DCBE and contrast fluoroscopy of the colon and the anticipated future role of these studies...
- Hereditary nonpolyposis colorectal cancer: not just a barium enema! Radiographic manifestations and screening toolsLynette Foster
Dagnostic Imaging, Health Sciences Center, St John s, NL
Can Assoc Radiol J 58:212-9. 2007
- Prospective comparison of air-contrast barium enema and colonoscopy in patients with fecal occult blood: a pilot studyDon C Rockey
Liver Center, Duke University Medical Center, Sands Building Room 334, Research Drive, Durham, NC 27710, USA
Gastrointest Endosc 60:953-8. 2004..Thus, this study compared the sensitivity and the specificity of air-contrast barium enema and colonoscopy for detection of colonic lesions in patients with fecal occult blood...
- Which colorectal cancers are missed by double contrast barium enema?K Y Tan
Department of Colorectal Surgery, Singapore General Hospital, Singapore
Tech Coloproctol 8:169-72. 2004..We reviewed our 10-year experience of double contrast enemas as read by consultant radiologists. The study also aimed to identify which lesions are usually missed...
- Geographic variation among Medicare beneficiaries in the use of colorectal carcinoma screening proceduresGregory S Cooper
Division of Gastroenterology, University Hospitals of Cleveland, Cleveland, Ohio 044106 5066, USA
Am J Gastroenterol 99:1544-50. 2004..To study geographic variation in the use of recommended screening procedures for colorectal carcinoma...
- Familial colonic varices--a cause of "polyposis" on barium enemaL Zaman
Department of Gastroenterology, Nottingham City Hospital, Hucknall Road, Nottingham, NG7 1PB, UK
Br J Radiol 81:e17-9. 2008..A case report of her father's idiopathic colonic varices has previously been reported in this journal in 1985, and we update his subsequent progress and discuss other reports of this rare condition...
- Update on colorectal cancer imagingMarc J Gollub
Department of Radiology, Weill Medical College of Cornell University, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York, NY 10021, USA
Radiol Clin North Am 45:85-118. 2007..Staging with CT, MR imaging, endorectal ultrasound, and positron emission tomography are of paramount importance in determining the most appropriate therapy and the risk of tumor recurrence and overall prognosis...
- Observer variation in the detection of colorectal neoplasia on double-contrast barium enema: implications for colorectal cancer screening and trainingC Bartram
Clin Radiol 59:641-2. 2004
- Sigmoid colon cancer with mediastinal lymph node metastasesMasahiro Tsubaki
First Department of Surgery, Dokkyo University, School of Medicine, Shimotsugagun, Tochigi, Japan
Int Surg 92:209-13. 2007..The patient was discharged 3 weeks after the operation and died 3 months later...
- Impact of video colonoscopy on stage and outcome of patients with symptomatic colorectal cancerM Vella
University Department of Surgery, Western Infirmary, G11 6NT, Glasgow, UK
Surg Endosc 18:1268-71. 2004..The aim of this study was to compare the stage and outcome of patients with colorectal cancer diagnosed by video colonoscopy (VC) and barium enema (BE) in a single institution...
- Interval appendectomy after conservative treatment of an appendiceal massHung Wen Lai
Division of General Surgery, Department of Surgery, Taipei Veterans General Hospital, 201, Section 2, Shih Pai Road, Taipei 112, Taiwan, ROC
World J Surg 30:352-7. 2006..The purpose of this study was to clarify the role of interval appendectomy after conservative treatment of an appendiceal mass...
- Recent studies unite groups in 'convergence of thought' on colorectal cancer screeningTom Reynolds
J Natl Cancer Inst 95:574-6. 2003
- From guaiac to immune fecal occult blood tests: the emergence of technology in colorectal cancer screeningBeverly Greenwald
Department of Nursing, North Dakota State University, Fargo 58105 5055, USA
Gastroenterol Nurs 28:90-6. 2005..Several types of immunochemical fecal occult blood tests are discussed in this article, including their advantages and disadvantages compared with those of the traditional guaiac fecal occult blood testing...
- Education and imaging. Gastrointestinal: ischemic colitis with thrombosis of the inferior mesenteric veinY Sumitomo
Department of Gastroenterology, Kuno Hospital, Kyoto, Japan
J Gastroenterol Hepatol 22:134. 2007
- Cost-effectiveness of colorectal cancer screeningP M McMahon
Department of Radiology, Decision Analysis and Technology Assessment Group, Massachusetts General Hospital, Zero Emerson Place, Ste 2H, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Radiology 219:44-50. 2001..CONCLUSION: Double-contrast barium enema examination can be a cost-effective component of colorectal cancer screening, but further modeling efforts are necessary...
- [Mucocele of the appendix. Retrospective study of 10 cases]M Soueï-Mhiri
Service de Radiologie, 4064 Sousse, Tunisie
J Radiol 82:463-8. 2001..The purpose of our work was to assess the value of abdominal sonography (US) and computed tomography (CT) in the preoperative diagnosis of appendiceal mucocele...
- Giant submucosal lipoma of the cecum: report of a case and review of literatureGheorghe Ghidirim
1st Dept of Surgery N Anestiadi and Laboratory of Hepato Pancreato Biliary Surgery, N Testemitsanu Medical University, Emergency Municipal Hospital, Kishinev, Moldova
Rom J Gastroenterol 14:393-6. 2005..Six years after the surgery, the patient has not showed any of the previous symptoms. Along with a review of the literature, the incidence, diagnosis complications and treatment of colonic lipomas are discussed...
- Development of a cathartic-free colorectal cancer screening test using virtual colonoscopy: a feasibility studyKristina T Johnson
Department of Radiology, Mayo Clinic, 200 First St SW, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
AJR Am J Roentgenol 188:W29-36. 2007..The purpose of our study was to develop a method to subtract barium-labeled stool from the colon using a phantom and to evaluate the performance of the technique in a pilot human population...
- 58-year-old woman with abdominal painMark A Kropf
Mayo Graduate School of Medicine, Mayo Clinic, Scottsdale, Ariz 85259, USA
Mayo Clin Proc 77:283-6. 2002
- Comparison of radiologists' confidence in excluding significant colorectal neoplasia with multidetector-row CT colonography compared with double contrast barium enemaS A Taylor
Department of Intestinal Imaging, St Mark s and Northwick Park Hospitals, Harrow, London HA1 3UJ, UK
Br J Radiol 79:208-15. 2006..11 could not be identified on the barium enema, even in retrospect. Confidence in excluding polyps 6 mm or larger is significantly greater with CT colonography particularly in the proximal colon...
- Trends in colon cancer screening procedures in the US Medicare and Tricare populations: 1999-2001Randal H Robertson
Department of Health Services Administration, School of Health Related Professions, The University of Alabama at Birmingham, AL 35294 3361, USA
Prev Med 42:460-2. 2006..This study examined trends in the numbers of double contrast barium enemas, flexible sigmoidoscopies, and colonoscopies and trends in the choices of colorectal cancer screening service providers...
- Utilization of the double-contrast barium enema in the early era of screening CT colonographyPerry J Pickhardt
AJR Am J Roentgenol 187:W661. 2006
- [Multiple gastrointestinal tract duplication : a neonatal case report]L Noel
Service de Radiologie 2 UF de Radiopédiatrie, Hopital de Hautepierre, Avenue Moliere, 67098 Strasbourg Cedex, France
J Radiol 82:676-8. 2001..Prenatal diagnosis was that of duodenal stenosis. A complete screening for polymalformative syndrome is required in the neonatal period and the authors insist on the importance of US and color Doppler US imaging...
- Radiologic findings of BehÃ§et syndrome involving the gastrointestinal tractS Y Chung
Departments of Diagnostic Radiology, Asan Medical Center, University of Ulsan College of Medicine, 388-1 Poongnap-dong, Songpa-ku, Seoul 138-736, Korea
Radiographics 21:911-24; discussion 924-6. 2001..Familiarity with the various radiologic findings of BehÃ§et syndrome involving the gastrointestinal tract helps in making an early diagnosis, as well as in establishing an appropriate treatment strategy...
- The use of screening colonoscopy for patients cared for by the Department of Veterans AffairsHashem B El-Serag
Houston Center for Quality of Care and Utilization Studies, Michael E DeBakey VA Medical Center, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Arch Intern Med 166:2202-8. 2006..Because of differences in the delivery of health care, this trend in use of colonoscopy in fee-for-service settings might not be paralleled in the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA)...
- Colorectal cancer screeningM L Borum
Division of Gastroenterology, Department of Medicine, George Washington University Medical Center, Washington, DC 20037, USA
Prim Care 28:661-74, viii. 2001..Surveillance strategy is based on an individual's colorectal cancer risk. This article reviews fecal occult blood testing, flexible sigmoidoscopy, colonoscopy, barium enema, and genetic testing...
- Screening for colorectal cancer: the business caseRobert H Fletcher
Department of Ambulatory Care and Prevention, Harvard Medical School and Harvard Pilgrim Health Care, Boston, MA 02215, USA
Am J Manag Care 8:531-8. 2002..We believe that colorectal cancer screening programs are integral to any organization purporting to provide high-quality care. Organizations without such programs should give them high priority for implementation...
- Is carbon dioxide as an insufflation agent for double contrast barium enema still worthwhile after a same-day flexible sigmoidoscopy?Takayuki Asao
Department of Surgery I, Gunma University Faculty of Medicine, Maebashi, Japan
Clin Radiol 57:488-91. 2002..The aim of the study was to evaluate the efficacy of a double-contrast barium enema (DCBE) with CO(2) as a distending gas after a screening flexible sigmoidoscopy for reducing abdominal distension after an examination...
- Screening for colorectal cancer: the cost to find an advanced adenomaJ S McGrath
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Western Ontario, London, Canada
Am J Gastroenterol 97:2902-7. 2002..Patients who test positive on FOBT will require further investigation. We examined the cost of finding an advanced adenoma in these patients using four different strategies...
- Imaging diverticular diseaseSteve Halligan
Wolfson Unit for Endoscopy, St Mark s Hospital, Watford Road, Northwick Park, Harrow, London HA1 3UJ, UK
Best Pract Res Clin Gastroenterol 16:595-610. 2002..In acute diverticulitis, when the risk of perforation is high, colonoscopy should not be performed. In acute diverticular haemorrhage, colonoscopic haemostatic therapy with adrenaline can be effectively performed...
- Fast-track barium enema: meeting the two-week wait rule for patients with suspected colorectal cancerD G Glancy
Department of Coloproctology, Bristol Royal Infirmary, Bristol, UK
Colorectal Dis 7:241-4. 2005..This study was conducted to evaluate the success of this approach in preparation for meeting the forthcoming targets on waiting times to treatment from referral and diagnosis...
- Variations in the evaluation of colorectal cancer riskR J Hodder
Department of Surgery, Leighton Hospital, Crewe, UK
Colorectal Dis 7:254-62. 2005..To test the variability in estimating cancer risk and demonstrate the consequences that subjectivity has on patient care...
- CT of prominent pericolic or perienteric vasculature in patients with Crohn's disease: correlation with clinical disease activity and findings on barium studiesSeung Soo Lee
Department of Radiology, Asan Medical Center, University of Ulsan College of Medicine, 388 1 Poongnap dong, Songpa Gu, Seoul, 138 736, Korea
AJR Am J Roentgenol 179:1029-36. 2002..OBJECTIVE. The purpose of this study was to correlate CT findings of prominent pericolic or perienteric vasculature with clinical disease activity, treatment methods, and barium enema study findings in patients with Crohn's disease...
- Primary colorectal lymphoma: spectrum of imaging findings with pathologic correlationHyun Ju Lee
Department of Radiology and the Institute of Radiation Medicine, Seoul National University College of Medicine, 28 Yongon Dong, Chongno Gu, Seoul 110 744, Korea
Eur Radiol 12:2242-9. 2002....
- The double contrast barium enema: a retrospective single centre audit of the detection of colorectal carcinomasR Bramley
Clin Radiol 57:768; author reply 769. 2002
- [Abdominal wall abscess as the presenting sign in carcinoma of the colon: report of 4 cases]M Souei Mhiri
Service de Radiologie, Hopital Sahloul, 4054 Sousse, Tunisie
J Radiol 86:1699-703. 2005..We report four cases of unusual presentation of colonic cancer revealed by an abscess of the abdominal wall...
- Role of double-contrast barium enema in colorectal cancer screening based on fecal occult bloodStefano Ciatto
Centro per lo Studio e la Prevenzione Oncologica, Scientific Institute of Tuscany Region, Florence, Italy
Tumori 88:95-8. 2002..The present study evaluated the contribution of double-contrast barium enema in detecting neoplastic lesions of the colon in fecal occult-blood-positive subjects with incomplete colonoscopy...
- Colorectal cancer screening in young patients with poor health and severe comorbidityShahnaz Sultan
GI Outcomes Research Group, Division of Gastroenterology, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC, USA
Arch Intern Med 166:2209-14. 2006..The aim of this study was to examine the relationship between colorectal cancer screening, self-reported health status, and comorbidity in a cohort of young patients, defined as patients between the ages of 50 and 64 years...
- Experimental study of mortality and morbidity of contrast media and standardized fecal dose in the peritoneal cavityM Hernanz-Schulman
Department of Pediatric Radiology and Radiological Sciences, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville, TN 37232 2675, USA
Pediatr Radiol 30:369-78. 2000..We have compared the mortality and gross and histopathologic morbidity of a standard intraperitoneal native fecal dose in the guinea pig, using barium, two iodinated media, saline and air...
- Enhanced generation of free radicals from phagocytes induced by mineral dustsV Vallyathan
Division of Respiratory Disease Studies, National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health, Morgantown, WV 26505
Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol 6:404-13. 1992..The data presented herein suggest the generation of oxygen free radicals as an important primary event in silica- as well as asbestos-induced cell injury...
- Comparison of Gastrografin to barium sulfate as a gastrointestinal contrast agent in red-eared slider turtles (Trachemys scripta elegans)Charles Tyler Long
Department of Comparative Medicine, Stanford University, Research Animal Facility 1, 287 Campus Drive, Stanford, CA 94305 5410, USA
Vet Radiol Ultrasound 51:42-7. 2010..Fifteen red-eared sliders were given either Gastrografin or 30% w/v barium sulfate orally to compare ease of administration, transit time, and image quality...
- Comprehensive inter-laboratory calibration of reference materials for delta18O versus VSMOW using various on-line high-temperature conversion techniquesWilli A Brand
MPI BGC, Max Planck Institute for Biogeochemistry, Beutenberg Campus, P O Box 100164, 07701 Jena, Germany
Rapid Commun Mass Spectrom 23:999-1019. 2009..32 +/- 0.29 per thousand IAEA-601 benzoic acid+23.14 +/- 0.19 per thousand IAEA-SO-5 barium sulfate+12.13 +/- 0.33 per thousand NBS 127 barium sulfate+8.59 +/- 0...
- Multidisciplinary work on barium contamination of the karstic upper Kupa River drainage basin (Croatia and Slovenia); calling for watershed managementS Frančišković-Bilinski
Institute Ruder Boskovic, POB 180, 10002, Zagreb, Croatia
Environ Geochem Health 29:69-79. 2007..This paper calls for further multidisciplinary research on the health effects of barium and trace elements, as well as for bioremediation of contaminated gardens and for watershed management of vulnerable karstic aquifers...
- Evaluation of gastrointestinal tract transit times using barium-impregnated polyethylene spheres and barium sulfate suspension in a domestic pigeon (Columba livia) modelRebecca A Bloch
Center for Veterinary Health Sciences Bloch, Oklahoma State University, Stillwater, OK 74078, USA
J Avian Med Surg 24:1-8. 2010Barium impregnated polyethylene spheres (BIPS) are used in small animal medicine as an alternative to barium sulfate for radiographic studies of the gastrointestinal tract...
- Fluoroscopic study of the normal gastrointestinal motility and measurements in the Hispaniolan Amazon parrot (Amazona ventralis)Hugues Beaufrere
Veterinary Clinical Sciences, School of Veterinary Medicine, Louisiana State University, Skip Bertman Drive, Baton Rouge, LA 70803, USA
Vet Radiol Ultrasound 51:441-6. 2010..Each parrot was crop-fed an equal part mixture of barium sulfate and hand-feeding formula and placed in a cardboard box for fluoroscopy. Over a 3-h period, 1...
- Assessment of the solubility and bioaccessibility of barium and aluminum in soils affected by mine dust depositionS S Shock
Exponent, 15375 SE 30th Place, Suite 250, Bellevue, Washington 98007, USA
Environ Sci Technol 41:4813-20. 2007..The range of aluminum bioaccessibility values (0.31-4.0%) is consistent with the predominance of aluminum in relatively insoluble aluminosilicate minerals...
- Homocysteine and Angiotensin II in Renovascular RemodelingUtpal Sen; Fiscal Year: 2013..Plasma Hcy will be measured by HPLC. Vascular density will be measured by in vivo soft-tissue Barium sulfate-contrast X-ray angiography and renal cortical blood flow by moorFLPI full-filled laser perfusion imager...
- Diagnosis of Osteochondrosis using high field MRICATHY SUE CARLSON; Fiscal Year: 2013..canal blood vessels and validate these in cleared specimens in which the vessels have been perfused with barium sulfate. This career development award will allow Dr...
- VIDEOFLUOROSCOPY OF PRETERM INFANT SWALLOWINGEugene Goldfield; Fiscal Year: 2007..The study hypotheses are tested by experimental manipulation of barium sulfate viscosity during infant swallowing, kinematic analysis of recorded swallow images, and non-radiologic ..
- Oropharyngeal Function After Radiotherapy with IMRTJerilyn A Logemann; Fiscal Year: 2010..This project attempts to quantify the swallow problems associated with this specific treatment and the effects of interventions for these swallow problems. ..
- Effects of Swallowing Therapy in Head and Neck CancerJerilyn Logemann; Fiscal Year: 2006....
- Effects of LSVT on Dysphagia in Parkinson's DiseaseJerilyn Logemann; Fiscal Year: 2003..This application proposes to generate pilot data on the effects of LSVT on aspiration, a potentially dangerous and costly side effect of dysphagia in Parkinson's disease. ..
- Colonoscopy Utilization in North CarolinaDavid Ransohoff; Fiscal Year: 2006..It may provide the basis to develop interventions to optimize the allocation of colonoscopy effort in programs of CRC screening and surveillance. ..
- The effect of physical activity on metabolic syndrome in pregnancy and fetal outcCynthia Ko; Fiscal Year: 2008..It may offer a safe and readily available method to control weight and improve infant health during and after pregnancy. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- A Primary-Care Based Colorectal Cancer Screening ProgramCynthia Ko; Fiscal Year: 2006..If successful, this program may be useful to other large primary care practices, and may also help to improve utilization of other types of cancer prevention services ..
- Tailored Messaging in Colorectal Cancer ScreeningRonald Myers; Fiscal Year: 2005..Determine intervention impact on CRC screening utilization, 2. Determine intervention impact on screening decision stage, and 3. Determine intervention impact on patient perceptions about screening. ..
- Novel noninvasive assessment of cytochrome P450 activityEvan Kharasch; Fiscal Year: 2009..This approach may identify inter-individual variability in drug disposition and response;permit more individualized dosing, and reduces the cost of drug interaction studies. ..
- CLINICAL RESEARCH CURRICULUMBRIAN STROM; Fiscal Year: 2004..I. and co-PI s in the three distinct aspects of Clinical Research targeted by this program represent particular features of this proposal. ..
- INCREASING ACCESS TO CLINICAL AND EDUCATIONAL STUDIESRonald Myers; Fiscal Year: 2004..In Phase 3, we will prepare and submit new research grant applications based on results from the pilot studies. ..
- Improving Colorectal Cancer Screening in Primary Care.Dewey Scheid; Fiscal Year: 2004..By applying best practices research methods and taking into account the barriers that each provider faces in their unique practice setting, we hope to find new ways to improve colorectal cancer screening. ..
- GERIATRIC CLINICAL EPIDEMIOLOGY TRAINING GRANTSTEVEN HALBERT; Fiscal Year: 2007..g., clinical trials, case control, cohort research, etc.), and the faculties' commitment to collaborative research. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- OSTEOCALCIN SYNTHESIS AND CATABOLISMCaren Gundberg; Fiscal Year: 2007..Osteoclast and/or osteoblast progenitors will be evaluated in bone marrow cells. ..
- Colonoscopy quality and outcomes in clinical practiceCynthia W Ko; Fiscal Year: 2010..The various algorithms we develop will be tested in a second, validation subset of our database to find the algorithm with optimal performance characteristics. ..
- Screening for colortectal cancer in an Asian Community CenterDavid Lieberman; Fiscal Year: 2008..This is a new paradigm for screening, which takes advantage of the trust and cultural awareness that exists at the community center and does not rely on the primary care provider. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Screening and Family History Colorectal CancerRobert Fletcher; Fiscal Year: 2004..This developmental research will raise hypotheses about the causes of failure to recognize FH and begin timely screening and suggest potential solutions to be tested in subsequent research. ..
- Epidemiology of hepatocellular carcinomaCynthia Ko; Fiscal Year: 2006....
- Gene Expression in Barrett's EsophagusHashem El Serag; Fiscal Year: 2006..We present preliminary data on microarray and RT-PCRanalyses on 5 patients with BE that suggest an overactive Wnt pathway: we have also assembled the essential components of a successful study using microarrays. ..
- ANESTHETIC RENAL METABOLISM--MECHANISMS AND CONSEQUENCESEvan Kharasch; Fiscal Year: 2002..More broadly, resulting biochemical and clinical insights will be applicable to the numerous other nephrotoxic haloalkenes that are ubiquitous environmental contaminants. ..
- Colorectal Cancer Screening Behavior in the VA PopulatioDeborah Fisher; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- CORI: Consortium Expansion and Database EnhancementDavid Lieberman; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- CLINICAL RESEARCH CURRICULUMDavid Ransohoff; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- Surveillance for Hepatocellular Carcinoma among HCV-infected VeteransHashem El Serag; Fiscal Year: 2009..Evaluating the extent and patterns of HCC surveillance is crucial in understanding diffusion (and obstacles) of this practice and in designing interventions to improve the implementation of HCC surveillance. ..
- Coordination of Respiration with Deglutition & Phonation in Ataxia-TelangiectasiaMaureen Lefton Greif; Fiscal Year: 2007..Furthermore, developing A- T as a model will form the basis for applying this non-invasive technology to other children with dysphagia. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Colon Cancer Screening Augmented by Image ProcessingMichael Zalis; Fiscal Year: 2006..The proposed research will serve as basis for the design of a larger, screening-cohort evaluation of CTC using these image-processing techniques. ..
- DETERMINING/UNDERSTANDING BARRIERS TO ADULT IMMUNIZATIONRichard Zimmerman; Fiscal Year: 2001..This project will furnish relevant, up-to-date to enhance policy planning, practice management and medical education. ..