Genomes and Genes
Summary: Inorganic salts that contain the -HCO3 radical. They are an important factor in determining the pH of the blood and the concentration of bicarbonate ions is regulated by the kidney. Levels in the blood are an index of the alkali reserve or buffering capacity.
Publications275 found, 100 shown here
- Regulation of tumor pH and the role of carbonic anhydrase 9Pawel Swietach
Department of Physiology, Anatomy and Genetics, Burdon Sanderson Cardiac Science Centre, Oxford OX1 3PT, UK
Cancer Metastasis Rev 26:299-310. 2007..We also review recent evidence that may suggest a role for CA9 in coordinating pH(i) among cells of large, unvascularized cell-clusters...
- Aquaporin-4 in the central nervous system: cellular and subcellular distribution and coexpression with KIR4.1E A Nagelhus
Nordic Centre of Excellence for Research in Water Imbalance Related Disorders and Centre for Molecular Biology and Neuroscience, Institute of Basic Medical Sciences, University of Oslo, POB 1105 Blindern, N 0317 Oslo, Norway
Neuroscience 129:905-13. 2004..We conclude that AQP4-mediated water flux represents an integral element of brain volume and ion homeostasis...
- Soluble adenylyl cyclase as an evolutionarily conserved bicarbonate sensorY Chen
Department of Pharmacology, Joan and Sanford I Weill Medical College of Cornell University, 1300 York Avenue, New York, NY 10021, USA
Science 289:625-8. 2000..sAC is also expressed in other bicarbonate-responsive tissues, which suggests that bicarbonate regulation of cAMP signaling plays a fundamental role in many biological systems...
- Renal and intestinal absorptive defects in mice lacking the NHE3 Na+/H+ exchangerP J Schultheis
Department of Molecular Genetics, Biochemistry and Microbiology, The University of Cincinnati College of Medicine, Ohio 45267 0524, USA
Nat Genet 19:282-5. 1998..These data show that NHE3 is the major absorptive Na+/H+ exchanger in kidney and intestine, and that lack of the exchanger impairs acid-base balance and Na+-fluid volume homeostasis...
- Metabolic acidosis of CKD: diagnosis, clinical characteristics, and treatmentJeffrey A Kraut
Division of Nephrology, Veterans Affairs Greater Los Angeles Health Care System, Los Angeles, CA 90073, USA
Am J Kidney Dis 45:978-93. 2005..In the present review, we describe clinical and laboratory characteristics of metabolic acidosis, discuss potential adverse effects, and address benefits and complications of therapy...
- Dietary protein causes a decline in the glomerular filtration rate of the remnant kidney mediated by metabolic acidosis and endothelin receptorsS Phisitkul
Department of Internal Medicine, Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center, Lubbock, Texas, USA
Kidney Int 73:192-9. 2008..Our study suggests that the casein-induced decline in GFR of the remnant kidney is mediated by metabolic acidosis through endothelin A receptors...
- Gating of CFTR by the STAS domain of SLC26 transportersShigeru B H Ko
Department of Physiology, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas, Dallas, TX 75390 9040, USA
Nat Cell Biol 6:343-50. 2004..These findings provide a new understanding of epithelial chloride and bicarbonate transport and may have important implications for both cystic fibrosis and diseases associated with SLC26T...
- Regulatory mechanism underlying cyclic changes in mouse uterine bicarbonate secretion: role of estrogenQiong He
Epithelial Cell Biology Research Center, School of Biomedical Sciences, Faculty of Medicine, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Shatin, NT, Hong Kong, People s Republic of China
Reproduction 140:903-10. 2010....
- Coordinated down-regulation of NBC-1 and NHE-3 in sodium and bicarbonate loadingH Amlal
Department of Medicine, University of Cincinnati Medical Center, 231 Albert Sabin Way, Cincinnati, OH 45267 0585, USA
Kidney Int 60:1824-36. 2001..The purpose of these studies was to examine the effects of Na+ load and altered acid-base status on the expression of NHE-3 and NBC-1 in the kidney...
- The SLC4 family of bicarbonate (HCO₃⁻) transportersMichael F Romero
Physiology and Biomedical Engineering, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Mol Aspects Med 34:159-82. 2013..SLC4 proteins play important roles many modes of acid-base homeostasis: the carriage of CO2 by erythrocytes, the transport of H(+) or HCO3(-) by several epithelia, as well as the regulation of cell volume and intracellular pH...
- Higher serum bicarbonate levels within the normal range are associated with better survival and renal outcomes in African AmericansKalani L Raphael
VA Healthcare System, Salt Lake City, Utah, USA
Kidney Int 79:356-62. 2011..Whether increasing serum bicarbonate into the high-normal range will improve kidney outcomes during interventional studies will need to be considered...
- Serum bicarbonate and long-term outcomes in CKDVandana Menon
Division of Nephrology, Tufts Medical Center, Boston, MA 02111, USA
Am J Kidney Dis 56:907-14. 2010..A low serum bicarbonate level is prevalent in chronic kidney disease (CKD); however, its relationship to long-term outcomes is unclear...
- Differential activation of the HCO(3)(-) conductance through the cystic fibrosis transmembrane conductance regulator anion channel by genistein and forskolin in murine duodenumBiguang Tuo
Department of Gastroenterology, Affiliated Hospital, Zunyi Medical College, Zunyi, China
Br J Pharmacol 158:1313-21. 2009..Targeting the CFTR HCO(3)(-) conductance, if possible, may therefore be of major therapeutic benefit. In the present study, we examined the effects of genistein and forskolin on duodenal mucosal HCO(3)(-) and Cl(-) secretion...
- Molecular cloning, chromosomal localization, tissue distribution, and functional expression of the human pancreatic sodium bicarbonate cotransporterN Abuladze
Division of Nephrology, Center for Health Sciences, UCLA School of Medicine, Los Angeles, California 90095 1698, USA
J Biol Chem 273:17689-95. 1998..These data demonstrate that pNBC encodes the sodium bicarbonate cotransporter in the mammalian pancreas. pNBC is also expressed at a lower level in several other organs, whereas kNBC is expressed uniquely in kidney...
- Short- and long-term effects of alkali therapy in chronic kidney disease: a systematic reviewPaweena Susantitaphong
Division of Nephrology, Kidney and Dialysis Research Laboratory, Department of Medicine, St Elizabeth s Medical Center, Boston, MA 02135, USA
Am J Nephrol 35:540-7. 2012..We systematically reviewed the effect of sodium bicarbonate on benefits and harms in patients with CKD...
- Involvement of complexin 2 in docking, locking and unlocking of different SNARE complexes during sperm capacitation and induced acrosomal exocytosisPei Shiue J Tsai
Department of Farm Animal Health, Graduate School of Animal Health, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Utrecht University, Utrecht, The Netherlands
PLoS ONE 7:e32603. 2012..The possibility to study separate and dynamic interactions between SNARE proteins, complexin and Ca(2+) which are all involved in AE make sperm an ideal model for studying exocytosis...
- Dynamic regulation of CFTR bicarbonate permeability by [Cl-]i and its role in pancreatic bicarbonate secretionHyun Woo Park
Department of Pharmacology, Institute of Gastroenterology, Brain Korea 21 Project for Medical Science, Seoul, Korea
Gastroenterology 139:620-31. 2010....
- Intracellular cAMP signaling by soluble adenylyl cyclaseMartin Tresguerres
Marine Biology Research Division, Scripps Institution of Oceanography, University of California San Diego, La Jolla, California, USA
Kidney Int 79:1277-88. 2011..In this review, we detail the known functions of sAC, and we reassess commonly held views of cAMP signaling inside cells...
- Interactions of transmembrane carbonic anhydrase, CAIX, with bicarbonate transportersPatricio E Morgan
Membrane Protein Research Group, Dept of Physiology, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Am J Physiol Cell Physiol 293:C738-48. 2007..We conclude that CAIX can bind to some Cl(-)/HCO(3)(-) exchangers to form a bicarbonate transport metabolon...
- Serum bicarbonate levels and the progression of kidney disease: a cohort studySamir N Shah
Albert Einstein College of Medicine Montefiore Medical Center, Bronx, NY, USA
Am J Kidney Dis 54:270-7. 2009..Animal models of kidney disease have linked metabolic acidosis with renal damage. The role of low serum bicarbonate levels in kidney disease progression in humans has not been studied...
- Mechanisms of bicarbonate secretion in the pancreatic ductMartin C Steward
Faculty of Life Sciences, University of Manchester, Manchester M13 9PT, United Kingdom
Annu Rev Physiol 67:377-409. 2005....
- Pendrin, encoded by the Pendred syndrome gene, resides in the apical region of renal intercalated cells and mediates bicarbonate secretionI E Royaux
Genome Technology Branch, National Human Genome Research Institute, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 98:4221-6. 2001..Together, these studies indicate that pendrin is an apical anion transporter in intercalated cells of CCDs and has an essential role in renal bicarbonate secretion...
- New insights into the physiological role of carbonic anhydrase IX in tumour pH regulationP Swietach
Department of Physiology, Anatomy and Genetics, University of Oxford, Oxford, UK
Oncogene 29:6509-21. 2010..This is now an important avenue for further investigation. The importance of CAIX in regulating tumour pH highlights the protein as a potential target for cancer therapy...
- Expression cloning and characterization of a renal electrogenic Na+/HCO3- cotransporterM F Romero
Department of Cellular and Molecular Physiology, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut 06510, USA
Nature 387:409-13. 1997....
- Capacitation induces cyclic adenosine 3',5'-monophosphate-dependent, but apoptosis-unrelated, exposure of aminophospholipids at the apical head plasma membrane of boar sperm cellsB M Gadella
Institute of Biomembranes, Department of Biochemistry and Cell Biology, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Utrecht University, Yalelaan 2, 3564 CM Utrecht, The Netherlands
Biol Reprod 67:340-50. 2002..Bicarbonate-induced phospholipid scrambling thus appears to be an important and early physiological event in the capacitation process...
- Bicarbonate actions on flagellar and Ca2+ -channel responses: initial events in sperm activationGunther Wennemuth
Department of Physiology and Biophysics, Box 357290, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98195 7290, USA
Development 130:1317-26. 2003..Our findings indicate a requirement for cAMP-mediated protein phosphorylation in the enhancement of flagellar and channel functions that HCO(3)(-) produces during sperm activation...
- Cystic fibrosis transmembrane conductance regulator is vital to sperm fertilizing capacity and male fertilityWen Ming Xu
Epithelial Cell Biology Research Center, Li Ka Shing Institute of Health Sciences, Department of Physiology, Faculty of Medicine, Chinese University of Hong Kong, Shatin, NT, Hong Kong, China
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 104:9816-21. 2007....
- Association of predialysis serum bicarbonate levels with risk of mortality and hospitalization in the Dialysis Outcomes and Practice Patterns Study (DOPPS)Jürgen Bommer
Medizinische Universitatsklinik, Heidelberg, Germany
Am J Kidney Dis 44:661-71. 2004....
- The role of carbonic anhydrase 9 in regulating extracellular and intracellular ph in three-dimensional tumor cell growthsPawel Swietach
From the Department of Physiology, Anatomy and Genetics, Burdon Sanderson Cardiac Science Centre, Oxford OX1 3PT, United Kingdom
J Biol Chem 284:20299-310. 2009..The results suggest a possible basis for attenuating tumor development through inhibiting CA9 activity...
- Association of serum bicarbonate levels with mortality in patients with non-dialysis-dependent CKDCsaba P Kovesdy
Division of Nephrology, Salem Veterans Affairs Medical Center, 1970 Roanoke Blvd, Salem, VA 24153, USA
Nephrol Dial Transplant 24:1232-7. 2009..It is not known whether a similar association is present in patients with non-dialysis-dependent CKD (NDD-CKD)...
- An electroneutral sodium/bicarbonate cotransporter NBCn1 and associated sodium channelI Choi
Department of Cellular and Molecular Physiology, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut 06520, USA
Nature 405:571-5. 2000..Oocytes injected with low levels of NBCn1-B complementary RNA exhibit a Na+ conductance that 4,4-diisothiocyanatostilbene-2,2'-disulphonate stimulates slowly and irreversibly...
- Central functions of bicarbonate in S-type anion channel activation and OST1 protein kinase in CO2 signal transduction in guard cellShaowu Xue
Division of Biological Sciences, Cell and Developmental Biology Section, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, CA, USA
EMBO J 30:1645-58. 2011..A new working model of the sequence of CO(2) signalling events in gas exchange regulation is presented...
- Fungal adenylyl cyclase integrates CO2 sensing with cAMP signaling and virulenceTorsten Klengel
Department of Biosciences, University of Kent, Canterbury, Kent CT2 7NJ, United Kingdom
Curr Biol 15:2021-6. 2005..Novel therapeutic agents could target this pathway at several levels to control fungal infections...
- Novel role for pendrin in orchestrating bicarbonate secretion in cystic fibrosis transmembrane conductance regulator (CFTR)-expressing airway serous cellsJames P Garnett
Institute for Cell and Molecular Biosciences, Newcastle University, Newcastle upon Tyne NE2 4HH, United Kingdom
J Biol Chem 286:41069-82. 2011....
- Serum bicarbonate and mortality in stage 3 and stage 4 chronic kidney diseaseSankar D Navaneethan
Department of Nephrology, Hypertension, Glickman Urological and Kidney Institute, and Cleveland Clinic Lerner College of Medicine of CWRU, Cleveland, OH 44195, USA
Clin J Am Soc Nephrol 6:2395-402. 2011..We studied the associations of both low and high serum bicarbonate levels with all-cause mortality among stage 3 and 4 chronic kidney disease (CKD) patients...
- Effect of metabolic acidosis on neonatal proximal tubule acidificationKatherine Twombley
Department of Pediatrics, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas, Dallas, Texas 75390 9063, USA
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 299:R1360-8. 2010..A comparable increase in NHE3 and NHE8 was found in neonatal rats with acidosis. In conclusion, the neonatal proximal tubule can adapt to metabolic acidosis with an increase in Na(+)/H(+) exchanger activity...
- Rapid multislice imaging of hyperpolarized 13C pyruvate and bicarbonate in the heartAngus Z Lau
Department of Medical Biophysics, Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Magn Reson Med 64:1323-31. 2010..The sequence was demonstrated with phantom experiments and in vivo testing in a pig model...
- Physiology and pathophysiology of the epithelial barrier of the female reproductive tract: role of ion channelsHsiao Chang Chan
Epithelial Cell Biology Research Center, School of Biomedical Sciences, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong, China
Adv Exp Med Biol 763:193-217. 2012....
- Bicarbonate and dichloroacetate: evaluating pH altering therapies in a mouse model for metastatic breast cancerIan F Robey
Arizona Respiratory Center, University of Arizona, Tucson, USA
BMC Cancer 11:235. 2011..While these findings are compelling, recent assessments into the use of oral bicarbonate as a cancer intervention reveal limitations...
- Profiling of renal tubule Na+ transporter abundances in NHE3 and NCC null mice using targeted proteomicsH L Brooks
Laboratory of Kidney and Electrolyte Metabolism, National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
J Physiol 530:359-66. 2001..More extensive adaptation occurred in the case of the NHE3 knockout, presumably because NHE3 is responsible for much more sodium absorption in normal mice than in NCC knockout mice...
- Association of serum bicarbonate levels with gait speed and quadriceps strength in older adultsMatthew K Abramowitz
Division of Nephrology, Department of Medicine, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, NY 10461, USA
Am J Kidney Dis 58:29-38. 2011..However, the association of acidosis with functional outcomes has not been examined on a population-based level...
- Acid retention during kidney failure induces endothelin and aldosterone production which lead to progressive GFR decline, a situation ameliorated by alkali dietDonald E Wesson
Department of Medicine, Scott and White Healthcare and Texas A and M College of Medicine, Temple, Texas 76508, USA
Kidney Int 78:1128-35. 2010....
- Consequences and therapy of the metabolic acidosis of chronic kidney diseaseJeffrey A Kraut
Medical and Research Services, VHAGLA Healthcare System, UCLA Membrane Biology Laboratory, Los Angeles, CA, USA
Pediatr Nephrol 26:19-28. 2011....
- Serum bicarbonate, anion gap and insulin resistance in the National Health and Nutrition Examination SurveyW R Farwell
Massachusetts Veterans Epidemiology Research and Information Center, VA Boston Healthcare System, Boston, MA 02130, USA
Diabet Med 25:798-804. 2008..We examined the cross-sectional relations between serum bicarbonate, anion gap, and insulin resistance in a subset of healthy participants in the 1999-2000 and 2001-2002 National Health and Nutrition Examination Surveys...
- CO(2) acts as a signalling molecule in populations of the fungal pathogen Candida albicansRebecca A Hall
School of Biosciences, University of Kent, Canterbury, Kent, UK
PLoS Pathog 6:e1001193. 2010..Our results reveal the existence of a gaseous Candida signalling pathway and its molecular mechanism and provide insights into an evolutionary conserved CO(2)-signalling system...
- Cloning and functional expression of a human kidney Na+:HCO3- cotransporterC E Burnham
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Cincinnati School of Medicine, Cincinnati, Ohio 45267 0585, USA
J Biol Chem 272:19111-4. 1997..6-kilobase mRNA is highly expressed in kidney and pancreas, with detectable levels in brain. Functional studies in transiently transfected HEK-293 cells demonstrate that the cloned transporter mediates Na+:HCO3- cotransport...
- Role of epithelial HCO3⁻ transport in mucin secretion: lessons from cystic fibrosisPaul M Quinton
Department of Pediatrics, Rady Children s Hospital, University of California San Diego School of Medicine, La Jolla, California 92093 0830, USA
Am J Physiol Cell Physiol 299:C1222-33. 2010....
- Bicarbonate-regulated soluble adenylyl cyclaseM S Wuttke
Department of Pharmacology, Weill Cornell Medical College New York, NY 10021, USA
JOP 2:154-8. 2001..Immunolocalization studies reveal sAC is also abundantly expressed in other tissues which respond to bicarbonate or carbon dioxide levels suggesting it may function as a general bicarbonate/CO(2) sensor throughout the body...
- Prevalence of acidosis and inflammation and their association with low serum albumin in chronic kidney diseaseJoseph A Eustace
Department of Medicine, The Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland 21205, USA
Kidney Int 65:1031-40. 2004..Low serum albumin is a strong risk factor for mortality, but its association with low serum bicarbonate and inflammation in the setting of mild to moderately decreased kidney function is uncertain...
- Bicarbonate/lactate-based peritoneal dialysis solution increases cancer antigen 125 and decreases hyaluronic acid levelsS Jones
Institute of Nephrology, University of Wales College of Medicine, Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom
Kidney Int 59:1529-38. 2001..In the long term, this may positively impact the peritoneal membrane, increasing its life as a dialyzing organ...
- Calcium citrate ameliorates the progression of chronic renal injuryLiliana Gadola
Departamento de Fisiopatologia, Hospital de Clinicas, Facultad de Medicina, Universidad de la Republica, Montevideo, Uruguay
Kidney Int 65:1224-30. 2004..The aim of this study was to evaluate the effects of correction of metabolic acidosis with calcium citrate in an experimental model of renal mass ablation...
- Nutrition in CAPD: serum bicarbonate and the ubiquitin-proteasome system in muscleWarren P Pickering
Department of Nephrology, Leicester General Hospital, Leicester, England, United Kingdom
Kidney Int 61:1286-92. 2002....
- A sperm-specific Na+/H+ exchanger (sNHE) is critical for expression and in vivo bicarbonate regulation of the soluble adenylyl cyclase (sAC)Dan Wang
Cecil H and Ida Green Center for Reproductive Biology Sciences, Department of Pharmacology, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, 6001 Forest Park Road, Dallas, TX 75390 9051, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 104:9325-30. 2007..We propose that the formation of this complex efficiently modulates intracellular pH and bicarbonate levels through the rapid and effective control of sAC and sNHE activities to facilitate sperm motility regulation...
- Diagnosis of metabolic acid-base disturbances in critically ill patientsV Fencl
Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts 02115 6110, USA
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 162:2246-51. 2000..The proposed third method identifies and quantifies individual components of complex acid-base abnormalities and provides insights in their pathogenesis...
- Critical role of CFTR in uterine bicarbonate secretion and the fertilizing capacity of spermHsiao Chang Chan
Epithelial Cell Biology Research Center, Department of Physiology, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Room 410, Basic Medical Sciences Building, Shatin, Hong Kong
Mol Cell Endocrinol 250:106-13. 2006..These results are consistent with a critical role of CFTR in controlling uterine HCO3- secretion and sperm fertilizing capacity, suggesting that CFTR may be a potential target for post-meiotic regulation of fertility...
- Slc26a6 regulates CFTR activity in vivo to determine pancreatic duct HCO3- secretion: relevance to cystic fibrosisYouxue Wang
The Department of Physiology, The University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas, Dallas, TX 75390 9040, USA
EMBO J 25:5049-57. 2006..These findings reveal the intricate regulation of CFTR activity by slc26a6 in both the resting and stimulated states and the essential role of slc26a6 in pancreatic HCO(3)(-) secretion in vivo...
- Proximal renal tubular acidosis in TASK2 K+ channel-deficient mice reveals a mechanism for stabilizing bicarbonate transportRichard Warth
Institute of Physiology, Universitatsstrasse 31, 93053 Regensburg, Germany
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 101:8215-20. 2004..The consequences of the task2 gene inactivation in mice are reminiscent of the clinical manifestations seen in human proximal renal tubular acidosis syndrome...
- Long-term persistence of the urine calcium-lowering effect of potassium bicarbonate in postmenopausal womenLynda Frassetto
Department of Medicine, University of California, San Francisco, CA 94143, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 90:831-4. 2005..Thus, one can preselect postmenopausal women most likely to have the urine calcium-lowering effect of KBC and predict their potential bone calcium increase...
- Particulate and soluble adenylyl cyclases participate in the sperm acrosome reactionCarmen Beltrán
Departamento de Genética del Desarrollo y Fisiología Molecular, Instituto de Biotecnologia, Universidad Nacional Autonoma de Mexico, Cuernavaca, Morelos CP 62250, Mexico
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 358:1128-35. 2007..Our findings employing selective inhibitors for each class of AC indicate that both sAC and tmACs participate in the sperm acrosome reaction...
- The carbonate radical and related oxidants derived from bicarbonate bufferDanilo B Medinas
Departamento de Bioquimica, Instituto de Quimica, Universidade de Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, SP, Brazil
IUBMB Life 59:255-62. 2007..Overall, the review emphasizes the recognition of the biological relevance of oxidants derived from the main physiological buffer as a crucial step into the understanding and control of numerous pathological states...
- SLC4 base (HCO3 -, CO3 2-) transporters: classification, function, structure, genetic diseases, and knockout modelsAlexander Pushkin
Division of Nephrology, David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, University of California Los Angeles, 10833 Le Conte Avenue, Rm 7 155 Factor Bldg, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 290:F580-99. 2006..This review focuses on recent advances in our understanding of the molecular organization and functional properties of SLC4 transporters and their role in disease...
- A new role for bicarbonate secretion in cervico-uterine mucus releaseRuth W Muchekehu
Department of Pediatrics 0830, School of Medicine, University of California San Diego, La Jolla, CA 92093 0830, USA
J Physiol 588:2329-42. 2010....
- Comparison of three different methods of evaluation of metabolic acid-base disordersArnaldo Dubin
Servicio de Terapia Intensiva, Sanatorio Otamendi y Miroli, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Crit Care Med 35:1264-70. 2007....
- Stimulation of guanylyl cyclase-D by bicarbonateDagang Guo
Department of Physiology, Cornell University Weill Medical College, New York, New York 10065, USA
Biochemistry 48:4417-22. 2009..Here we have demonstrated that bicarbonate directly increases the activity of purified GC-D. Bicarbonate also increases the cGMP levels in cells expressing GC-D. These results identify bicarbonate as a small molecule that regulates GC-D...
- Bicarbonate-sensing soluble adenylyl cyclase is an essential sensor for acid/base homeostasisMartin Tresguerres
Department of Pharmacology, Weill Cornell Medical College, New York, NY 10065, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 107:442-7. 2010..sAC orthologs are present throughout metazoans, and mammalian sAC is expressed in A/B regulatory organs, suggesting that systemic A/B sensing via sAC is widespread in the animal kingdom...
- Bicarbonate-dependent peroxidase activity of human Cu,Zn-superoxide dismutase induces covalent aggregation of protein: intermediacy of tryptophan-derived oxidation productsHao Zhang
Biophysics Research Institute and Free Radical Research Center, Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53226, USA
J Biol Chem 278:24078-89. 2003..Taken together, these results indicate that Trp-32 oxidation is crucial for covalent aggregation of hSOD1. Implications of HCO3--dependent SOD1 peroxidase activity in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis disease are discussed...
- CO2 concentrating mechanisms in cyanobacteria: molecular components, their diversity and evolutionMurray R Badger
Molecular Plant Physiology Group, Research School of Biological Sciences, Australian National University, PO Box 475, Canberra City, ACT 2601, Australia
J Exp Bot 54:609-22. 2003..Finally, there are multiple carbonic anhydrases in many cyanobacteria, but, surprisingly, several cyanobacterial genomes appear to lack any identifiable CA genes. A pathway for the evolution of CCM components is suggested...
- Saliva and dental cariesM Lenander-Lumikari
Department of Cariology and Turku Immunology Centre, Institute of Dentistry, University of Turku, Finland
Adv Dent Res 14:40-7. 2000..In this article, our aim is to focus on the effects of saliva and salivary constituents on cariogenic bacteria and the subsequent development of dental caries...
- CO2, not HCO3-, facilitates oxidations by Cu,Zn superoxide dismutase plus H2O2Stefan I Liochev
Department of Biochemistry, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 27710, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 101:743-4. 2004..This fact was shown by a lag in the rate of peroxidation of NADPH when NaHCO(3)(-) was added last and by a burst in the rate when aqueous CO(2) was added last. Both the lag and the burst were eliminated by carbonic anhydrase...
- Direct magnetic resonance evidence for peroxymonocarbonate involvement in the cu,zn-superoxide dismutase peroxidase catalytic cycleMarcelo G Bonini
Laboratory of Pharmacology, NIEHS, National Institutes of Health, Research Triangle Park, NC, USA
J Biol Chem 284:14618-27. 2009..The results gathered herein indicate that peroxymonocarbonate (HOOCO(2)(-)) is a key intermediate in the SOD1 peroxidase cycle and identify this species as the precursor of carbonate radical anions...
- A bicarbonate ion as a general base in the mechanism of peptide hydrolysis by dizinc leucine aminopeptidaseN Strater
Institut fur Kristallographie, Freie Universitat Berlin, Takustrasse 6, D 14195 Berlin, Germany
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 96:11151-5. 1999..A mutational analysis shows that Arg-356 influences activity by binding the bicarbonate ion but is not essential for activity. Mutation of the catalytic Lys-282 reduces k(cat)/K(m) about 10,000-fold...
- Intrinsic H(+) ion mobility in the rabbit ventricular myocyteR D Vaughan-Jones
University Laboratory of Physiology, Parks Road, Oxford OX1 3PT, UK
J Physiol 541:139-58. 2002..Intrinsic H(+)(i) mobility is consistent with an average diffusion coefficient for the intracellular mobile buffers (D(mob)) of ~9 x 10(-7) cm(2) s(-1)...
- Bicarbonate, NBCe1, NHE, and carbonic anhydrase activity enhance lactate-H+ transport in bovine corneal endotheliumTracy T Nguyen
School of Optometry, Indiana University, Bloomington, Indiana 47405, USA
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 52:8086-93. 2011....
- beta-Adrenergic activation of electrogenic K+ and Cl- secretion in guinea pig distal colonic epithelium proceeds via separate cAMP signaling pathwaysSusan T Halm
Department of Neuroscience, Cell Biology and Physiology, Wright State University Boonshoft School of Medicine, 3640 Colonel Glenn Hwy, Dayton, OH 45435, USA
Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 299:G81-95. 2010..Thus beta-adrenergic activation of electrogenic Cl(-) and K(+) secretion, respectively, required tmAC- and sAC-dependent signaling pathways...
- Ion transport mechanisms linked to bicarbonate secretion in the esophageal submucosal glandsSolange Abdulnour-Nakhoul
Southeast Louisiana Veterans Health Care Network, Tulane University School of Medicine, New Orleans, Louisiana 70112, USA
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 301:R83-96. 2011..This is the first report on the presence of CFTR channels in the esophagus. The role of CFTR in manifestations of esophageal disease in cystic fibrosis patients remains to be determined...
- Long-term management of sevelamer hydrochloride-induced metabolic acidosis aggravation and hyperkalemia in hemodialysis patientsMacroui Sonikian
Nephrology Department, A Fleming General Hospital, Athens, Greece
Ren Fail 28:411-8. 2006..Further improvement in bone biochemistry was noted with this adequate acidosis correction and parallel sevelamer hydrochloride administration, in sufficiently large doses to achieve K/DOQI phosphate recommendations...
- Molecular pathophysiology of SLC4 bicarbonate transportersMichael F Romero
Departments of Physiology and Biophysics and Pharmacology, Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine, 2119 Abington Road, Cleveland, OH 44106 4970, USA
Curr Opin Nephrol Hypertens 14:495-501. 2005..Function and human chromosomal location have been determined for most members...
- Genistein stimulates duodenal HCO(3)(-) secretion through PI3K pathway in miceBiguang Tuo
Department of Gastroenterology, Affiliated Hospital, Zunyi Medical College, Zunyi, 563003, China
Eur J Pharmacol 651:159-67. 2011....
- Integrated Bloch-Siegert B₁ mapping and multislice imaging of hyperpolarized ¹³C pyruvate and bicarbonate in the heartAngus Z Lau
Department of Medical Biophysics, Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre, University of Toronto, Toronto, ON, Canada
Magn Reson Med 67:62-71. 2012..This work demonstrates the use of Bloch-Siegert B(1) mapping under challenging out-of-equilibrium imaging conditions...
- Slc26a11, a chloride transporter, localizes with the vacuolar H(+)-ATPase of A-intercalated cells of the kidneyJie Xu
Research Services, Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
Kidney Int 80:926-37. 2011..Thus, Slc26a11 is a partner of vacuolar H(+)-ATPase facilitating acid secretion in the collecting duct...
- Simultaneous investigation of cardiac pyruvate dehydrogenase flux, Krebs cycle metabolism and pH, using hyperpolarized [1,2-(13)C2]pyruvate in vivoAlbert P Chen
GE Healthcare, Toronto, ON, Canada
NMR Biomed 25:305-11. 2012....
- Water absorption and bicarbonate secretion in the intestine of the sea bream are regulated by transmembrane and soluble adenylyl cyclase stimulationEdison S M Carvalho
Centre of Marine Sciences CCMAR, CIMAR Laboratório Associado, Universidade do Algarve, Faro, Portugal
J Comp Physiol B 182:1069-80. 2012....
- Bicarbonate-enhanced peroxidase activity of Cu,Zn SOD: is the distal oxidant bound or diffusible?Stefan I Liochev
The Department of Biochemistry, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 27710, USA
Arch Biochem Biophys 421:255-9. 2004..Biol. Chem. 278 (2003) 21032-21039]. We present data supporting the diffusible CO3-* and discuss the properties of this system that can be accommodated in this way and that preclude bound intermediates...
- An alternative mechanism of bicarbonate-mediated peroxidation by copper-zinc superoxide dismutase: rates enhanced via proposed enzyme-associated peroxycarbonate intermediateJennifer Stine Elam
Department of Biochemistry and the X ray Crystallography Core Laboratory, University of Texas Health Science Center, San Antonio, Texas 78229 3900, USA
J Biol Chem 278:21032-9. 2003..The orientation of the enzyme-associated oxyanion suggests that both the self-oxidative and external oxidative pathways can proceed through an enzyme-associated peroxycarbonate intermediate...
- Human PaCO2 and standard base excess compensation for acid-base imbalanceR Schlichtig
Department of Research and Development, Pittsburgh Veterans Affairs Medical Center, PA, USA
Crit Care Med 26:1173-9. 1998....
- Bicarbonate transport along the loop of Henle: molecular mechanisms and regulationGiovambattista Capasso
Chair of Nephrology, Research Center for Cardiovascular Diseases, School of Medicine, Second University of Naples, Italy
J Nephrol 15:S88-96. 2002..Changes in extracellular osmolality also affect bicarbonate reabsorption: hypertonicity inhibits, whereas hypotonicity stimulates transport. Transport activation is also observed as an adaptive response to glomerular hyperfiltration...
- High sodium intake increases HCO(3)- absorption in medullary thick ascending limb through adaptations in basolateral and apical Na+/H+ exchangersDavid W Good
Departments of Internal Medicine, The University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, Texas 77555 0562, USA
Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 301:F334-43. 2011..The adaptive increases in Na(+)/H(+) exchange activity and HCO(3)(-) absorption in the MTAL may play a role in enabling the kidneys to regulate acid-base balance during changes in sodium and volume balance...
- Oxidation of histidine residues in copper-zinc superoxide dismutase by bicarbonate-stimulated peroxidase and thiol oxidase activities: pulse EPR and NMR studiesKarunakaran Chandran
Department of Biophysics, Free Radical Research Center, Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53226, United States
Biochemistry 49:10616-22. 2010..HCO(3)(-)-mediated, selective oxidative modification of histidines in SOD may be relevant to understanding the molecular mechanism of SOD peroxidase and thiol oxidase activities...
- Endothelin-1/endothelin-B receptor-mediated increases in NHE3 activity in chronic metabolic acidosisK Laghmani
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, Texas 75390 9003, USA
J Clin Invest 107:1563-9. 2001..In conclusion, metabolic acidosis increases ET-1 expression, which increases NHE3 activity via the ET(B) receptor...
- Expression, localization, and functional evaluation of CFTR in bovine corneal endothelial cellsXing Cai Sun
Indiana University School of Optometry, 800 E Atwater Ave, Bloomington, IN 47405, USA
Am J Physiol Cell Physiol 282:C673-83. 2002..Furthermore, there is a cAMP-activated Cl(-) pathway on the basolateral membrane that is not CFTR...
- Impact of supplementation with bicarbonate on lower-extremity muscle performance in older men and womenB Dawson-Hughes
Jean Mayer United States Department of Agriculture Human Nutrition Research Center on Aging, Tufts University, Boston, MA 02111, USA
Osteoporos Int 21:1171-9. 2010..Bicarbonate reduced NAE, and the decrement was associated with a decrease in nitrogen excretion. Treatment also improved muscle power and endurance in the women...
- Angiotensin II stimulates H⁺-ATPase activity in intercalated cells from isolated mouse connecting tubules and cortical collecting ductsCarsten A Wagner
Department of Cellular and Molecular Physiology, School of Medicine, Yale University, New Haven, CT, USA
Cell Physiol Biochem 28:513-20. 2011..In summary, angiotensin II stimulates H(+)-ATPases in CNT/CCD intercalated cells, and may contribute to the regulation of chloride absorption and bicarbonate secretion in this nephron segment...
- The underlying cellular mechanism in the effect of tetramethylpyrazine on the anion secretion of colonic mucosaWen Chao Zhao
Department of Physiology, Medical School, Zhengzhou University, Zhengzhou 450052, Henan Province, China
Jpn J Physiol 55:325-9. 2005....
- Bicarbonate enhances peroxidase activity of Cu,Zn-superoxide dismutase. Role of carbonate anion radical and scavenging of carbonate anion radical by metalloporphyrin antioxidant enzyme mimeticsHao Zhang
Biophysics Research Institute and Free Radical Research Center, Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53226, USA
J Biol Chem 277:1013-20. 2002..Implications of this reaction as a plausible protective mechanism in inflammatory cellular damage induced by peroxynitrite are discussed...
- Impact of bicarbonate, ammonium chloride, and acetazolamide on hepatic and renal SLC26A4 expressionIoana Alesutan
Department of Physiology, University of Tubingen, Tubingen, Germany
Cell Physiol Biochem 28:553-8. 2011..The observations point to expression of pendrin in the liver and to opposite effects of acidosis on pendrin transcription in liver and kidney...
- Kinetic properties of "soluble" adenylyl cyclase. Synergism between calcium and bicarbonateTatiana N Litvin
Department of Pharmacology, Weill Medical College of Cornell University, New York, NY 10021, USA
J Biol Chem 278:15922-6. 2003..Because of their different mechanisms, calcium and bicarbonate synergistically activate sAC; therefore, small changes of either calcium or bicarbonate will lead to significant changes in cellular cAMP levels...
- Correlation between intradialytic hypotension in patients undergoing routine hemodialysis and use of acetate compared in bicarbonate dialysateM Thaha
Division of Nephrology and Hypertension Department of Internal Medicine, Dr Soetomo Hospital School of Medicine Airlangga University, Surabaya
Acta Med Indones 37:145-8. 2005..To determine the incidence of intradialytic hypertension (IDH) during hemodialysis (HD) in end-stage renal disease (ESRD) patients using acetate dialysate compared to those using bicarbonate dialysate...
- Studies on the expression of mRNA for anion transport related proteins in corneal endothelial cellsX C Sun
School of Optometry, Indiana University, Bloomington, IN 47401, USA
Curr Eye Res 22:1-7. 2001..However, consistent with previous immunoblots studies, AE2 is only expressed in fresh corneal endothelium. These results have implications for modeling possible apical anion efflux mechanisms in corneal endothelium...
- Bicarbonate induces membrane reorganization and CBR1 and TRPV1 endocannabinoid receptor migration in lipid microdomains in capacitating boar spermatozoaLaura Botto
Department of Experimental Medicine DIMS, University of Milano Bicocca, Via Cadore 48, 20052, Monza, Italy
J Membr Biol 238:33-41. 2010....
- Acid-base effects of a bicarbonate-balanced priming fluid during cardiopulmonary bypass: comparison with Plasma-Lyte 148. A randomised single-blinded studyT J Morgan
Department of Anaesthesia, Princess Alexandra Hospital, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Anaesth Intensive Care 36:822-9. 2008..These are likely to be gluconate and/or acetate. Whether surges of exogenous anions during bypass can be harmful requires further study...
- Regulation of vacuolar proton pumping ATPase-dependent luminal acidification in the epididymisNicolas Da Silva
Program in Membrane Biology Nephrology Division, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Asian J Androl 9:476-82. 2007..In the present paper, selected aspects of V-ATPase regulation in clear cells are described and potential pathologies associated with mutations of some of the V-ATPase subunits are discussed...
- Control of Renal Glutaminase Expression during AcidosisNorman P Curthoys; Fiscal Year: 2012..This knowledge will constitute the basis for biochemical and pharmacological studies that may improve the treatment of patients who present with chronic forms of metabolic acidosis. ..
- Structure/function analysis of the na/bicarbonate cotransportersInyeong Choi; Fiscal Year: 2011..plays a significant role in reabsorbing bicarbonate in the proximal tubules, where more than 80% of filtered bicarbonates are reclaimed...
- AE2 CI/HCO3 Exchanger and Transepithelial Ion TransportLARA GAWENIS; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- Evaluation of a Noninvasive Acid-Base Status MonitorShonn Hendee; Fiscal Year: 2002..InLight Solutions intends to leverage its considerable experience in the area of noninvasive glucose monitoring to increase the probability of success in moving from in vitro to invivo acid-base measurements. ..
- EFFECTS OF ACID ON BONEDavid A Bushinsky; Fiscal Year: 2010..The current proposal is aimed at understanding the first steps by which acid is detected by bone cells. Understanding the process by which the bone detects and neutralizes the acid can lead to an improvement in bone health. ..
- CORNEAL METABOLIC ACTIVITY IN HUMANSJoseph Bonanno; Fiscal Year: 2002..If so, this could lead to the development of a provocative test for suitability of contact lens wear based on a quick and simple measure of corneal oxygen consumption. ..
- VISION RESEARCH AT INDIANA UNIVERSITYJoseph Bonanno; Fiscal Year: 2008..They include advanced optics of the eye, visual displays for infant vision development, microscopic fluorimetry and imaging, and equipment repair support. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Cerebral edema in pediatric ketoacidosisNicole Glaser; Fiscal Year: 2009..This initial animal data will form the basis for a randomized clinical trial of interventions for the prevention of CE in children with DKA which will be the main focus of the study. ..
- SELECTIVE SODIUM-SENSITIVITY IN SALT-SENSITIVE BLACKSRalph Morris; Fiscal Year: 2006..5) The acute increases in plasma Na + concentration will predict the extent of acute increases in BP, RVR and TPR. ..
- Colonic Crypt HCO3 SecretionHENRY BINDER; Fiscal Year: 2006..e., cNBC) differs substantially from other NBCs and may represent a novel epithelial cell NBC. We propose comprehensive transport, electrophysiological and molecular studies to characterize crypt HCO3 secretion. ..
- Measurement of Fluid Flow Across the Ocular Ciliary BodyOSCAR CANDIA; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Apical CI/OH-/HCO3-exchanger in kidney and GI tractManoocher Soleimani; Fiscal Year: 2007..They should further facilitate future investigations into the role of this transporter in pathophysiologic states affecting electrolyte and acid-base homeostasis. ..
- Physiological isoforms of sAC in male germ cellsJochen Buck; Fiscal Year: 2005..A long-term objective of this work is development of highly specific pharmacological reagents targeting individual isoforms as a novel method of contraception or to treat infertility. ..
- MECHANISMS OF SULFATE TRANSPORT AND REGULATIONMichael Jennings; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- MOLECULAR PHYSIOLOGY OF BAND 3 LIKE PROTEINS OF KIDNEYSeth Alper; Fiscal Year: 2007..5. Define aspects of transcriptional and translational regulation of AE gene products in kidney of mutant and parental mouse strains and in cultured kidney cells. ..
- Fluid Movement across Conjunctiva: Stimulation and RegulationOSCAR CANDIA; Fiscal Year: 2007..These studies may provide the groundwork for the design of future treatment modalities for dry-eye syndromes. ..
- PORPHYRIN AND CORRINOID BIOSYNTHESISFRANK RAUSHEL; Fiscal Year: 2008..Finally, the multi-enzyme synthesis of advanced intermediates and of B12 itself will be addressed. ..
- Renal Inner Medulla: Integrated Structure and FunctionWILLIAM DANTZLER; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Mechanisms and Control of Urea BiosynthesisFRANK RAUSHEL; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Electroyte Transport in Small AirwaysPaul Quinton; Fiscal Year: 2009..Correctly understanding this fundamental structure/function is critical to developing effective therapies. ..
- RBC Ion Transporters as Hemoglobinopathy Risk ModifiersSeth Alper; Fiscal Year: 2009..The proposed experiments will increase understanding of sickle cell disease and thalassemia by providing mouse models for genetic tests of new drug therapies under development for near-term clinical testing. ..
- EFFECT OF POTASSIUM BICARBONATE ON BONE AND MUSCLEBess Dawson Hughes; Fiscal Year: 2008....
- ION CHANNEL REGULATION BY THE CYTOPLASMIC TAIL OF PDK1Seth Alper; Fiscal Year: 2005..We will search for novel interacting proteins, and prepare protein suitable for structural analysis. ..
- Polyamine metabolism in heart and kidney ischemic injuryManoocher Soleimani; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- NIH OSTEOPOROSIS & RELATED BONE DISEASES RESOURCE CENTERBess Dawson Hughes; Fiscal Year: 2002..Specific efforts include supporting the National Osteoporosis Data Group, collecting and disseminating definitive statistics on bone diseases and on conditions co-morbid with osteoporosis, and preparing summary reports. ..
- Sickle Red Cell K+ Transporter Genetics in S. cerevisiaeSeth Alper; Fiscal Year: 2002..3) (Provisional Aim): Time permitting, to improve, validate, and standardize growth rescue of trk1delta/trk2delta S. cerevisiae by expression in nonpermissive conditions of cDNA encoding the mammalian IK1 K(ca) channel. ..
- COLONIC CRYPT CELL FUNCTIONHENRY BINDER; Fiscal Year: 2001..We plan to establish the cellular model and the regulatory control of agonist-induced colonic bicarbonate secretion. These studies should define the cellular mechanisms of Na/C1/HCO/3 absorption and secretion in the colonic crypt. ..
- REGULATION OF COLONIC H-K-ATPASE IN THE KIDNEYManoocher Soleimani; Fiscal Year: 2001..Insight into regulation of cHKA will significantly enhance our knowledge on a variety of pathologic conditions associated with electrolyte and acid-base abnormalities. ..
- CL-/HCO3- EXCHANGE IN CYSTIC FIBROSIS SWEAT GLANDSPaul Quinton; Fiscal Year: 2001..Defining HCO3 ion-transport and its relevance to CFTR function should lend much to explaining, and hopefully, ameliorating these problems. ..
- CHARACTERIZATION OF NA-DEPENDENT HCO3-TRANSPORTERSManoocher Soleimani; Fiscal Year: 2001..Insight into regulation and gene structure of Na-coupled HCO3 transporters should enhance our knowledge on cell regulation and acid-base homeostasis. ..
- ISOTOPIC PROBES OF ENZYME REACTION MECHANISMSFRANK RAUSHEL; Fiscal Year: 2005..These investigations will complement concurrent efforts to direct the evolution of new and enhanced activities from present-day proteins. ..
- SOLUTE AND FLUID TRANSPORT ACROSS THE CONJUNCTIVAOSCAR CANDIA; Fiscal Year: 2002..Based on this model, he will devise protocols to modify and possibly reverse the secretory/absorptive properties of the tissue. ..
- NAPS2 Continuation - Genome-Wide Association Study of PancreatitisDavid C Whitcomb; Fiscal Year: 2010..Knowledge of the genetic basis of pancreatitis will lead to new treatments, and help remove the stigma that chronic pancreatitis is only a disease of drunkards. ..
- MOLECULAR EVENTS IN UROGENITAL DEVELOPMENTQais Al Awqati; Fiscal Year: 2008..Hence, studies of the early stages of kidney development, the stage at which the number ofnephrons is determined are likely to have wide clinical implications. ..
- BILIARY SECRETORY PATHWAYS IN CYSTIC FIBROSISWon Kyoo Cho; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- DNA POLYMORPHISMS IN OVARIAN CANCER--CASE CONTROL STUDYHarvey Risch; Fiscal Year: 2002..abstract_text> ..
- ASM Conference on Candida and CandidiasisAaron Mitchell; Fiscal Year: 2008..The conference will help chart the course of future research and facilitate the urgent necessity to understand, treat, and prevent disease. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- MYOCARDIAL CALCIUM HANDLING DURING AND AFTER HYPOTHERMIADAVID STOWE; Fiscal Year: 2002..These studies will lead to a better understanding of Ca2+ loading and therapies to protect hypothermic hearts. ..
- Methamphetamine Neurotoxicity and Microglial ActivationDONALD KUHN; Fiscal Year: 2009..A better understanding of the mechanisms by which METH causes persistent damage to the DA neuronal system could lead to more targeted therapies and would open newer lines of investigation into this and other neurotoxic drugs of abuse. ..
- PREVENTION OF HEMODIALYSIS VASCULAR ACCESS STENOSISAlfred K Cheung; Fiscal Year: 2010..It is highly likely that, within this 5-year proposal, the results of this project can be applied to pilot clinical studies. ..
- Molecular mechanisms of the electrogenic Na+ Bicarbonate Cotransporter (NBCe1)Michael F Romero; Fiscal Year: 2010..We will use these NBCel mutations and human/fish differences to determine how this protein causes kidney and eye disease and how to modify its activity to prevent or treat disease. ..
- Neuronal growth factor signaling via cAMPLonny R Levin; Fiscal Year: 2010..These studies have important implications for brain development, degenerative diseases and learning and memory. ..
- PH REGULATION IN VENTRICULAR CELLSKENNETH SPITZER; Fiscal Year: 2002..The results of this project will yield new information concerning hormonal modulation of cardiac pHi control systems and the action of intracellular and intercellular H+ diffusion to dissipate regional pHi gradients. ..
- MOLECULAR GENETICS OF HEREDITARY PANCREATITISDavid Whitcomb; Fiscal Year: 2008..The HP and familial pancreatitis studies are especially important because of the statistical power of family studies and the ability to detect modifier genes in a uniform background of susceptibility factors. ..
- HCO3-transporters in Drosophila and MosquitoesMICHAEL ROMERO; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- Career Development in Pediatric Diabetes at WUMSNeil White; Fiscal Year: 2005..The success of this program will be realized as its participants enter the ranks of leadership as physician-scientists in pediatric diabetes over the next decades. ..
- PEDIATRIC NEPHROLOGY TRAININGMichel Baum; Fiscal Year: 2005..Fellows also attend seminars in basic science departments. The research mentor, as well as the program director, closely supervise trainees to ensure that the goals of the training program are achieved. ..
- MECHANISMS OF RENAL TUBULAR EPITHELIAL CELL INJURYSudhir Shah; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- Myocilin-induced ER Stress in Trabecular Meshwork CellsSANGLY SRINIVAS; Fiscal Year: 2005..These studies will lead to the development of an essential knowledge base and influence research in the field of glaucoma pathophysiology, diagnostics, and therapeutics. ..
- Intervention to Increase Safety Belt Use in ED PatientsWilliam Fernandez; Fiscal Year: 2005..e. the "teachable moment"). ..
- Brief Intervention to Reduce Alcohol Use in ED patientsWilliam Fernandez; Fiscal Year: 2004..e. routine care). ..
- THERAPY IN DIALYSIS HYPOALBUMINEMIA AND HOMOCYSTEINEMIAJoseph Eustace; Fiscal Year: 2004..Eustace to build on his current theoretical knowledge, make the transition into an independent clinical scientist and prepare him for a career investigating the role of nutrition in renal disease. ..
- Assembly and Functions of Photosynthetic Water OxidasesG Dismukes; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- New strategies for identification of C. albicans fluconazole resistance geneAaron Mitchell; Fiscal Year: 2004..These approaches will define the regulators that govern known resistance mechanisms and may reveal the regulators that govern other clinically relevant resistance mechanisms. ..
- CYTOSOLIC REGULATION OF INNER EAR ION TRANSPORTA PHILINE WANGEMANN; Fiscal Year: 2007..first, middle) The name of the principal investigator/program director must be provided at the top of each printed page and each continuation page RESEARCH GRANT TABLE OF CONTENTS Page Numbers Face Page 1 Description, ..
- Structural Investigation of Allosteric Regulation in Bacterial Carbonic AnhydraseJEFF CRONK; Fiscal Year: 2007..An allosteric ligand binding site and its effect on enzyme activity will be characterized with an eye to its development as a target of therapeutic drugs. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Polymer Carrier for Ischemia-Inducible Gene TherapyDavid Bull; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Volume Regulatory Pathways in Cystic Fibrosis MiceWon Kyoo Cho; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- Ninth International Conference on Endothelin (ET-9)Donald Kohan; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- Genetics of Angiotensinogen-Mediated Hypertension: Stage, Background & GenderDonald E Kohan; Fiscal Year: 2010..Our goal is to advance the specificity of clinical management and treatment of EH. ..
- SHIGA LIKE TOXIN AND RENAL CELL DYSFUNCTIONDonald Kohan; Fiscal Year: 2001..These studies provide essential information on how and why HGEN are damaged in HUS. ..
- BISPHOSPHONATE BONE QUALITY IN WOMEN WITH BREAST CANCERSusan Ott; Fiscal Year: 2009..Results of the study will provide valuable information about skeletal effects of high-dose bisphosphonates in humans. ..
- DOPAMINE AND PLASTICITY IN RESPIRATORY CONTROLRebecca Johnson; Fiscal Year: 2002..End of Abstract) ..