- A prospective comparison of three argatroban treatment regimens during hemodialysis in end-stage renal disease
Patrick T Murray
Nephrology Section, University of Chicago, Chicago, Illinois 60657, USA
Kidney Int 66:2446-53. 2004
..We prospectively evaluated 3 treatment regimens of argatroban, a direct thrombin inhibitor, for providing adequate, safe anticoagulation in patients with end-stage renal disease (ESRD) during hemodialysis...
- Heparin-induced thrombocytopenia: diagnosis and management
Theodore E Warkentin
Department of Pathology and Molecular Medicine, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Circulation 110:e454-8. 2004
- Argatroban anticoagulation for heparin-induced thrombocytopenia in elderly patients
John R Bartholomew
The Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, Ohio 44195, USA
Drugs Aging 24:489-99. 2007
..Argatroban, a direct thrombin inhibitor that has reduced clearance in elderly versus younger volunteers, is used for thromboprophylaxis or treatment in heparin-induced thrombocytopenia (HIT)...
- Excessive argatroban anticoagulation for heparin-induced thrombocytopenia
Marc G Reichert
Department of Pharmacy, Wake Forest University Baptist Medical Center, Winston Salem, NC 27157 1163, USA
Ann Pharmacother 37:652-4. 2003
..To report 4 patients who became excessively anticoagulated with the recommended or lower starting doses of argatroban during treatment for heparin-induced thrombocytopenia type II (HIT-II) in a cardiothoracic intensive care unit...
- Argatroban anticoagulant therapy in patients with heparin-induced thrombocytopenia
B E Lewis
Loyola University Medical Center, Maywood, Illinois, USA
Circulation 103:1838-43. 2001
..We report a prospective, historical- controlled study evaluating the efficacy and safety of argatroban, a direct thrombin inhibitor, as anticoagulant therapy in patients with HIT or HIT with thrombosis syndrome (HITTS)...
- Argatroban anticoagulation in patients with heparin-induced thrombocytopenia
Bruce E Lewis
Department of Cardiology, Loyola University Medical Center, Maywood, Ill, USA
Arch Intern Med 163:1849-56. 2003
..We describe our experience with argatroban, a direct thrombin inhibitor, in patients with HIT or HIT with thrombosis (HITTS)...
- Argatroban dosing in intensive care patients with acute renal failure and liver dysfunction
David R Williamson
Department of Pharmacy Services, Hopital du Sacre Coeur de Montreal, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Pharmacotherapy 24:409-14. 2004
..To demonstrate dosing adjustment difficulties of argatroban encountered in critically ill patients with acute liver dysfunction who are receiving continuous renal replacement therapy...
- Effect of renal function on the pharmacodynamics of argatroban
Paul A Arpino
Department of Pharmacy, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Ann Pharmacother 38:25-9. 2004
..Argatroban is a direct thrombin inhibitor used to treat heparin-induced thrombocytopenia (HIT). Argatroban is primarily cleared by hepatic mechanisms, with only small amounts of unchanged drug cleared by the kidneys...
- Heparin-induced thrombocytopenia in intensive care patients
Department of Immunology and Transfusion Medicine, Ernst Moritz Arndt Universitat, Greifswald, Germany
Crit Care Med 35:1165-76. 2007
- Argatroban anticoagulation in patients with heparin-induced thrombocytopenia requiring renal replacement therapy
Bharathi V Reddy
Section of Nephrology, University of Chicago, IL 60637, USA
Ann Pharmacother 39:1601-5. 2005
..5-3.0 times baseline. However, few argatroban-treated patients with HIT and renal failure requiring renal replacement therapy (RRT) have been described...
- Argatroban anticoagulation in critically ill patients
Klinik fur Anasthesiologie, Universitätsklinikum der Heinrich Heine Universität, Dusseldorf, Germany
Ann Pharmacother 41:749-54. 2007
..Despite long-term use of argatroban in clinical practice, no dosing recommendations exist for critically ill patients with multiple organ dysfunction (MODS) and suspected or proven heparin-induced thrombocytopenia (HIT)...
- Effect of renal function on argatroban therapy in heparin-induced thrombocytopenia
Louis M Guzzi
Florida Hospital, Orlando, FL, USA
J Thromb Thrombolysis 22:169-76. 2006
..We retrospectively evaluated the effect of renal function on argatroban therapy in HIT patients with normal hepatic function, with the goal of refining dosing guidance, if needed...
- Argatroban anticoagulation for renal replacement therapy in patients with heparin-induced thrombocytopenia after cardiovascular surgery
Department of Anesthesia, Deutsches Herzzentrum Berlin, Germany
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 133:1376-7. 2007
- Alternative methods of anticoagulation for dialysis-dependent patients with heparin-induced thrombocytopenia
Susan I O'Shea
Divisions of Hematology and Nephrology, Department of Medicine, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina 27710, USA
Semin Dial 16:61-7. 2003
..In this report the currently available alternatives to heparin for dialysis, including dosing and monitoring recommendations, are reviewed...
- Argatroban therapy for heparin-induced thrombocytopenia in acutely ill patients
Department of Pulmonary Medicine, Lahey Clinic, Burlington, Massachusetts 01805, USA
Clin Appl Thromb Hemost 13:353-61. 2007
..Patients with more severe thrombocytopenia or HIT-related thrombosis on HIT diagnosis have a poorer prognosis, emphasizing the importance of prompt recognition/ treatment of HIT in acutely ill patients...
- Decreased argatroban clearance unaffected by hemodialysis in anasarca
Simon de Denus
Philadelphia College of Pharmacy, University of the Sciences in Philadelphia, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Ann Pharmacother 37:1237-40. 2003
..To report the case of a patient with acute renal failure and anasarca undergoing hemodialysis who demonstrated a prolonged effect of argatroban despite having no hepatic dysfunction...
- Argatroban anticoagulation in obese versus nonobese patients: implications for treating heparin-induced thrombocytopenia
The Methodist Hospital, Weill Cornell Medical College, Houston, Texas, USA
J Clin Pharmacol 47:1028-34. 2007
- Argatroban for suspected heparin-induced thrombocytopenia: contemporary experience at a large teaching hospital
Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX, USA
J Intensive Care Med 21:86-92. 2006
..In contemporary "real world" use, argatroban provides safe and effective anticoagulation, strengthening the mandate to initiate alternative anticoagulation whenever heparin-induced thrombocytopenia appears likely...
- A comparison of lepirudin and argatroban outcomes
Maureen A Smythe
William Beaumont Hospital, Royal Oak, Michigan Wayne State University, Detroit, Michigan 48073, USA
Clin Appl Thromb Hemost 11:371-4. 2005
..5% of lepirudin patients (p = .61). Major bleeding occurred in 10.3% and 11.5% of argatroban and lepirudin patients, respectively (p = 1.0). Argatroban and lepirudin demonstrated comparable safety and efficacy outcomes...
- Anticoagulation with argatroban in patients with heparin-induced thrombocytopenia antibodies after cardiovascular surgery with cardiopulmonary bypass: first results from the ARG-E03 trial
Department of Anesthesia, Deutsches Herzzentrum Berlin, Berlin, Germany
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 132:699-700. 2006
- Evaluation of diagnostic tests and argatroban or lepirudin therapy in patients with suspected heparin-induced thrombocytopenia
Tyree H Kiser
Department of Clinical Pharmacy, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Denver, Colorado 80262, USA
Pharmacotherapy 25:1736-45. 2005
- Argatroban therapy in heparin-induced thrombocytopenia with hepatic dysfunction
Robert L Levine
University of Texas School of Medicine at Houston, 6431 Fannin, MSB 7 142, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Chest 129:1167-75. 2006
..We evaluated the dosing requirements in argatroban-treated patients with heparin-induced thrombocytopenia (HIT) and hepatic dysfunction, and compared efficacy and safety outcomes with historical control patients...
- Argatroban and renal replacement therapy in patients with heparin-induced thrombocytopenia
Ignatius Y Tang
Section of Nephrology, Department of Medicine, University of Chicago Hospitals, Chicago, IL 60637 1470, USA
Ann Pharmacother 39:231-6. 2005
..Argatroban, a direct thrombin inhibitor, is an effective anticoagulant for patients who have heparin-induced thrombocytopenia (HIT). Anticoagulation is usually required for renal replacement therapy (RRT)...
- Argatroban anticoagulation during percutaneous coronary intervention in patients with heparin-induced thrombocytopenia
Bruce E Lewis
Loyola University Medical Center, Maywood, Illinois, USA
Catheter Cardiovasc Interv 57:177-84. 2002
..Overall, outcomes were comparable with those historically reported for heparin. Argatroban therefore is a reasonable anticoagulant option in this setting, where current options are limited...
- Argatroban for anticoagulation in continuous renal replacement therapy
Klinik fur Innere Medizin III, Universitätsklinikum des Saarlandes D 66421Homburg Saar, Germany
Crit Care Med 37:105-10. 2009
..The investigation focused on predictors for the maintenance doses of argatroban with efficacy and safety of argatroban being secondary outcomes...
- Treatment of patients with a history of heparin-induced thrombocytopenia and anti-lepirudin antibodies with argatroban
IV Department of Medicine, University Hospital Mannheim, Ruprecht Karls University Heidelberg, Theodor Kutzer Ufer 1 3, D 68167 Mannheim, Germany
J Thromb Thrombolysis 19:65-9. 2005
- Evaluation of treatment with direct thrombin inhibitors in patients with heparin-induced thrombocytopenia
Cathyyen H Dang
Department of Pharmacy and Clinical Sciences, South Carolina College of Pharmacy, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, South Carolina 29425, USA
Pharmacotherapy 26:461-8. 2006
..To evaluate the efficacy, safety, and associated costs of anticoagulation with argatroban, bivalirudin, and lepirudin for managing patients with heparin-induced thrombocytopenia (HIT) or presumed HIT...
- Thrombin-directed inhibitors: pharmacology and clinical use
C Michael White
University of Connecticut, Hartford Hospital, Hartford, Conn 06102 5037, USA
Am Heart J 149:S54-60. 2005
- Treatment of heparin-induced thrombocytopenia: a critical review
Henderson Research Centre, Henderson Hospital, and the Department of Medicine, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario
Arch Intern Med 164:361-9. 2004
- Heparin-induced thrombocytopenia: treatment options and special considerations
William E Dager
Department of Pharmaceutical Services, University of California Davis Medical Center, California 95817 2201, USA
Pharmacotherapy 27:564-87. 2007
..Clinicians must become familiar with the available information on this serious adverse effect and its treatment so that optimum patient management strategies may be formulated...
- Alternative anticoagulation management strategies for the patient with heparin-induced thrombocytopenia undergoing cardiac surgery
Glenn S Murphy
Department of Anesthesiology, Evanston Northwestern Healthcare, Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, Evanston, IL 60201, USA
J Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth 21:113-26. 2007
- Heparin-induced thrombocytopenia and cardiovascular patients: recognition and treatment
Kathy M Baker
Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, VA 23298, USA
Prog Cardiovasc Nurs 21:47-50. 2006
- The paradox of heparin-induced thrombocytopenia: the initial management
Lisa M Taylor
University of Kentucky Chandler Medical Center, Lexington, KY, USA
Orthopedics 28:559-62. 2005
..The potential risk for heparin-induced thrombocytopenia should be suspected in postoperative patients who develop thrombocytopenia in the presence of heparin and low-molecular weight heparin agents...
- Heparin and other rapidly acting anticoagulants
Thomas M Hyers
Department of Internal Medicine, St Louis University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO, USA
Semin Vasc Surg 18:130-3. 2005
..Ximelagatran (Exanta; AstraZeneca, Wilmington, DE) is an oral direct thrombin inhibitor under development for both acute and chronic anticoagulation...
- Argatroban, bivalirudin, and lepirudin do not decrease clot propagation and strength as effectively as heparin-activated antithrombin in vitro
Vance G Nielsen
Department of Anesthesiology, The University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, Alabama 35249 6810, USA
J Heart Lung Transplant 25:653-63. 2006
..An in vitro thrombelastographic assessment of the effects of DTIs on clot kinetics was consequently performed to determine potential causes for this complication...
- Differential effects of direct thrombin inhibitors and antithrombin-dependent anticoagulants on the dynamics of clot formation
Department of Hematology, Children s Hospital of Orange County, Orange, California 92868, USA
Blood Coagul Fibrinolysis 18:97-103. 2007
..The reduced bleeding reported with DTIs versus heparin may relate to the fact that clots form with normal rigidity and elasticity...
- Direct thrombin inhibitors in the treatment of immune-mediated heparin-induced thrombocytopenia
Jason T Call
Wake Forest University Health Sciences, Winston Salem, North Carolina 27157, USA
Semin Thromb Hemost 30:297-304. 2004
- Thrombin, an ideal target for pharmacological inhibition: a review of direct thrombin inhibitors
Hitinder S Gurm
Department of Cardiovascular Medicine, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, OH 44195, USA
Am Heart J 149:S43-53. 2005
- Heparin-induced thrombocytopenia in the critical care setting: diagnosis and management
Lena M Napolitano
Acute Care Surgery, Trauma, Burn, Critical Care, Emergency Surgery, Department of Surgery, University of Michigan Health System, Ann Arbor, MI, USA
Crit Care Med 34:2898-911. 2006
..Although sepsis and hemodilution are more common etiologies of thrombocytopenia in critical illness, heparin-induced thrombocytopenia (HIT) is one potential etiology that warrants consideration...
- Heparin-induced thrombocytopenia in the cardiovascular patient: diagnostic and treatment guidelines
Ahmet Tayfun Gurbuz
Department of Cardio Thoracic Surgery, Tucson Medical Center, Tucson, AZ 85718, USA
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 27:138-49. 2005
..A high index of suspicion is required for timely diagnosis and treatment. Treatment is complex and outcome maybe less then satisfactory...
- Alternatives to heparin infusion
Howard C Cook
Department of Pharmacy Services, St Luke s Hospital, Bethlehem, Pennsylvania 18015, USA
J Infus Nurs 27:413-24. 2004
..Current alternatives to heparin are reviewed...
- Heparin-induced thrombocytopenia and cardiovascular diseases
Division of Cardiovascular Medicine, Gill Heart Institute, University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY 40536 0200, USA
Am Heart J 152:19-26. 2006
- An anesthesia provider's perspective of heparin-induced thrombocytopenia
Daniel Nay Woodyard
United Anesthesia, Inc, Parkersburg, WVa, USA
AANA J 73:115-9. 2005
..Clinical criteria and advanced serological testing are available for the definitive diagnosis of HIT. Clinical suspicion of HIT remains key to early cessation of heparin (all routes) and initiation of alternative treatments...
- Heparin-induced thrombocytopenia: advances in diagnosis and treatment
Maureen F Cooney
Westchester Medical Center in Valhalla, NY 10595, USA
Crit Care Nurse 26:30-6; quiz 37. 2006
- Heparin-induced thrombocytopenia: principles for early recognition and management
John R Bartholomew
Section of Vascular Medicine, Department of Cardiovascular Medicine, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, Ohio 44195, USA
Cleve Clin J Med 72:S31-6. 2005
..Once HIT is clinically suspected, heparin should be stopped immediately and direct thrombin inhibitor therapy started; waiting for laboratory confirmation may be catastrophic...
- Recognition and management of heparin-induced thrombocytopenia in pediatric cardiopulmonary bypass patients
Lynn K Boshkov
Department of Pathology and Medicine, Doernbecher Children s Hospital, Oregon Health and Science University, Portland, Oregon 97231, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 81:S2355-9. 2006
- Heparin-induced thrombocytopenia without thrombosis: an evidence-based review of current literature
Enda D O'Connor
Toowoomba Health Service District, Toowoomba, QLD, Australia
Crit Care Resusc 8:345-52. 2006
..answer the following questions: in a patient with isolated HIT, should alternative anticoagulation be commenced, what alternative agent should be used, what is the recommended duration of anticoagulation, and when should warfarin be used?..
- [Two surgical case reports showing atypical heparin-induced thrombocytopenia]
Abteilung für Plastische und Wiederherstellungschirurgie, Klinikum rechts der Isar, Ismaninger Strasse 22, 81675 Munchen
Chirurg 78:138, 140-1. 2007
..Due to frequent misinterpretations of heparin-induced unspecific skin reactions, especially in the absence of thrombocytopenia, we present two case reports which should increase the awareness of HIT's various clinical pictures...
- Percutaneous interventions in patients with immune-mediated heparin-induced thrombocytopenia
Cardiovascular Research Foundation, New York, New York 10022, USA
Semin Thromb Hemost 30:305-14. 2004
..Optimal dosing regimens for argatroban, lepirudin, and bivalirudin should be further established in PCI patients...
- Argatroban, a new treatment option for heparin-induced thrombocytopenia
Kevin W Cleveland
Idaho Drug Information Service, Idaho State University College of Pharmacy, Pocatello, Idaho, USA
Crit Care Nurse 23:61-6. 2003
- Argatroban as a primary or secondary postoperative anticoagulant in patients implanted with ventricular assist devices
Louis E Samuels
Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Lankenau Hospital, Wynnewood, Pennsylvania 19096, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 85:1651-5. 2008
..We describe our experience with argatroban as a primary or secondary postoperative anticoagulant to heparin in patients receiving ventricular assist devices...
- The laboratory diagnosis and clinical management of patients with heparin-induced thrombocytopenia: an update
Assistant Professor, Department of Pathology, Stritch School of Medicine, Loyola University Chicago, Maywood, Illinois, USA
Semin Thromb Hemost 34:86-96. 2008
..Important drug-specific limitations and dosing and monitoring guidelines must be respected for patient safety. Issues still exist regarding the optimal clinical management of HIT...
- Hemostatic analysis of a patient undergoing off-pump coronary artery bypass surgery with argatroban anticoagulation
Derek R Kieta
Department of Anesthesiology, The University of Alabama at Birmingham, 619 South 19th Street, Birmingham, AL 35249 6810, USA
Anesth Analg 96:956-8, table of contents. 2003
..This case describes the impact of argatroban and off-pump coronary revascularization on hemostasis as assessed by conventional hemostatic measures and Thrombelastography in a patient with heparin-induced thrombocytopenia...
- [Heparin induced thrombocytopenia and anticoagulation in renal replacemant therapy]
Klinik für Anästhesie und Intensivtherapieam Universitätsklinikum Giessen und Marburg, Standort Marburg
Anasthesiol Intensivmed Notfallmed Schmerzther 43:304-10; quiz 312. 2008
..Furthermore it has to be proven whether the combination of alternative anticoagulants with citrate prolongates circuit halftime of CVVH...
- Preventing complications in heparin-induced thrombocytopenia. Alternative anticoagulants are improving patient outcomes
Baylor College of Medicine, 6565 Fannin, MS 902, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Postgrad Med 112:85-9. 2002
..Use of alternative anticoagulants is improving patient outcomes. Lepirudin, argatroban, and danaparoid each have advantages and disadvantages; treatment should be tailored to each patient...
- Parenteral anticoagulants: American College of Chest Physicians Evidence-Based Clinical Practice Guidelines (8th Edition)
Henderson Research Centre, Hamilton Civic Hospitals, 711 Concession Street, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Chest 133:141S-159S. 2008
..Three parenteral direct thrombin inhibitors and danaparoid are approved as alternatives to heparin in HIT patients...
- Hirudin in heparin-induced thrombocytopenia
Ernst Moritz Arndt University, Greifswald, Germany
Semin Thromb Hemost 28:431-8. 2002
..The choice between the available drugs for HIT, namely lepirudin, danaparoid, and argatroban, has to be made according to the clinical presentation of the patient...
- Treatment of heparin-induced thrombocytopenia
William E Dager
Department of Pharmaceutical Services, The University of California, Davis Medical Center, Sacramento 95817, USA
Ann Pharmacother 36:489-503. 2002
..To describe heparin-induced thrombocytopenia (HIT or HIT-2), an immune-mediated adverse reaction to heparin or low-molecular-weight heparin. Available treatment options and considerations in developing a therapy approach are discussed...
- Heparin-induced thrombocytopenia: a review of current pharmacologic treatment
Cardiovascular Pharmacology, Hartford Hospital, Hartford, USA
Conn Med 72:275-9. 2008
- Therapeutic considerations in the management of patients with heparin-induced thrombocytopenia
Lisa M Tong
Comprehensive Hemostasis and Antithrombotic Service, University of California, San Francisco CA 94143, USA
Prog Cardiovasc Nurs 17:142-7. 2002
- Antithrombotic drugs for the treatment of heparin-induced thrombocytopenia
Walter P Jeske
Department of Thoracic Cardiovascular Surgery, Loyola University Medical Center, Maywood, IL 60153, USA
Curr Opin Investig Drugs 3:1171-80. 2002
..For these situations, and if immediate anticoagulation is needed, the use of a direct thrombin inhibitor with switch-over to warfarin is a useful option. However, optimal dosing regimens have not been established in all cases...
- Comment: treatment of heparin-induced thrombocytopenia
Maureen A Smythe
Ann Pharmacother 36:1483-4; author reply 1484. 2002
- Effect of phenprocoumon on monitoring of lepirudin, argatroban, melagatran and unfractionated heparin with the PiCT method
Fourth Medical Department, University Hospital, Mannheim, Germany
Pathophysiol Haemost Thromb 32:174-9. 2002
..PiCT ratio reduces differences between both groups with UFH, and argatroban inhibitor-receptor-binding mode plays a role in interaction patterns...
- Fondaparinux versus direct thrombin inhibitor therapy for the management of heparin-induced thrombocytopenia (HIT)--bridging the River Coumarin
Theodore E Warkentin
Thromb Haemost 99:2-3. 2008
- Heparin-induced thrombocytopenia and thrombosis
Vipul P Patel
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, New York University Hospital for Joint Diseases, New York, New York, USA
Am J Orthop (Belle Mead NJ) 36:255-60. 2007
..Therapy for patients suspected of having HITT should begin with immedi ate discontinuation of heparin in any form followed by pharmacologic inhibition with thrombin (e.g., recombinant hirudin [lepirudin], argatroban, danaparoid sodium)...
- Direct thrombin inhibitors: alternatives to heparin
Department of Surgery, Section of Vascular Surgery, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 27710, USA
Vascular 15:372-5. 2007
..With increasing volumes of vascular intervention and an aging population, an increase in the need for anticoagulation can be anticipated. This article reviews current viable options and barriers to the use of heparin...
- Heparin-induced thrombocytopenia: a general review
Joseph M Swanson
Joseph M Swanson is Assistant Professor, Department of Clinical Pharmacy, University of Tennessee Health Science Center, Memphis, TN 38163, USA
J Infus Nurs 30:232-40. 2007
..Therapy should include discontinuation of heparin, initiation of a direct thrombin inhibitor, and eventually therapy with warfarin (only after the platelet count is at least 100 x 10(9)/L)...
- A case series describing the use of argatroban in patients on extracorporeal circulation
Critical Care Medicine, C S Mott Children s Hospital, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109, USA
ASAIO J 53:460-3. 2007
..2 to 3.5 microg/kg/min. Activated clotting times showed good agreement with aPTT. In conclusion, we illustrate that argatroban is a reasonable alternative to heparin anticoagulation for patients requiring ECLS...
- Venous limb gangrene during overlapping therapy with warfarin and a direct thrombin inhibitor for immune heparin-induced thrombocytopenia
Maureen A Smythe
Department of Pharmaceutical Services, William Beaumont Hospital, Royal Oak, Michigan 48073 6769, USA
Am J Hematol 71:50-2. 2002
..These data suggest that warfarin anticoagulation be postponed in patients with acute heparin-induced thrombocytopenia until substantial recovery of the platelet count has occurred...
- Management of heparin-induced thrombocytopenia: a critical comparison of lepirudin and argatroban
Theodore E Warkentin
Department of Pathology and Molecular Medicine, McMaster University, Canada
Thromb Res 110:73-82. 2003
..Thus, the DTI should be given alone during acute HIT, with oral anticoagulants deferred until substantial resolution of the thrombocytopenia has occurred...
- Percutaneous coronary interventions in patients with heparin-induced thrombocytopenia
E Marc Jolicoeur
Duke Clinical Research Institute, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 27710, USA
Curr Cardiol Rep 9:396-405. 2007
..The algorithm also integrates preventive measures directed at decreasing the bleeding risk associated with the antithrombotic and invasive therapies used for HIT and percutaneous coronary intervention...
- Heparin induced thrombocytopenia: pathogenetic, clinical, diagnostic and therapeutic aspects
Department of Medicine and Medical Specialities Division of Internal Medicine, IRCCS Fondazione Ospedale Maggiore Policlinico of Milan, Via Pace 9 Milan, Italy
Cardiovasc Hematol Disord Drug Targets 7:153-62. 2007
- Anticoagulation for acute coronary syndromes: from heparin to direct thrombin inhibitors
Norman E Lepor
David Geffen School of Medicine at the University of California at Los Angeles, Cedars Sinai Medical Center, Los Angeles, California, USA
Rev Cardiovasc Med 8:S9-17. 2007
..The antiplatelet, anticoagulant, and pharmacokinetic properties of bivalirudin support its use as the anticoagulant of choice for both lower- and higher-risk patients, including those undergoing PCI...
- Treatment options for heparin-induced thrombocytopenia
Institute for Immunology and Transfusion Medicine, Ernst Moritz Arndt University Greifswald, Diagnostikzentrum Saverbruchstrasse, 17487 Greifswald, Germany
Am J Health Syst Pharm 60:S12-8. 2003
- Current agents for the treatment of patients with heparin-induced thrombocytopenia
Theodore E Warkentin
Department of Pathology and Molecular Medicine, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Curr Opin Pulm Med 8:405-12. 2002
- Pseudo infantile Refsum's disease: catalase-deficient peroxisomal particles with partial deficiency of plasmalogen synthesis and oxidation of fatty acids
INSERM U342, Hopital Saint Vincent de Paul, Paris, France
Pediatr Res 34:270-6. 1993
..Oxidation of phytanic and pipecolic acids was severely impaired, whereas oxidation of very-long-chain fatty acids and dihydroxyacetone phosphate ..
- Nocardiopsins: new FKBP12-binding macrolide polyketides from an Australian marine-derived actinomycete, Nocardiopsis sp
Institute for Molecular Bioscience, The University of Queensland, Carmody Road, St Lucia, Brisbane 4072, Australia
Chemistry 16:3194-200. 2010
..The scope of this racemization was assessed against a selection of natural and synthetic N-acyl pipecolic acids. While the nocardiopsins are not antibacterial, antifungal or cytotoxic, they do exhibit low-micromolar ..
- Masked oxo sulfinimines (N-sulfinyl imines) in the asymmetric synthesis of proline and pipecolic acid derivatives
F A Davis
Department of Chemistry, Temple University, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19122, USA
Org Lett 3:759-62. 2001
..These amino acids cyclize and are reduced to cis proline and cis pipecolic acids derivatives in high ee and good yield...
- Conformational properties of secondary amino acids: replacement of pipecolic acid by N-methyl-l-alanine in efrapeptin C
Anita Dutt Konar
Fakultat fur Chemie, Universitat Bielefeld, D 33501 Bielefeld
Chem Biodivers 10:942-51. 2013
..The MeAla-containing analogs [MeAla(1,3) ]efrapeptin C and [MeAla(1,3,11) ]efrapeptin C inhibit ATP hydrolysis by the A3 B3 complex of A1 A0 -ATP synthase from Methanosarcina mazei Gö1...
- Systemic infusion and local irrigation with argatroban effective in preventing clot formation during carotid endarterectomy in a patient with heparin-induced thrombocytopenia
Joseph C Serrone
Department of Neurosurgery, University of Cincinnati College of Medicine and Comprehensive Stroke Center at University of Cincinnati Neuroscience Institute, Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
World Neurosurg 80:222.e15-8. 2013
..A therapeutic dilemma exists when patients with symptomatic carotid stenosis and concomitant heparin-induced thrombocytopenia (HIT) are advised to urgently undergo carotid endarterectomy (CEA) with heparin therapy...
- An efficient lipase-catalyzed enantioselective hydrolysis of (R,S)-azolides derived from N-protected proline, pipecolic acid, and nipecotic acid
Chia Hui Wu
Institute of Biochemical and Biomedical Engineering, Chang Gung University, Kwei Shan, Tao Yuan 33302, Taiwan
Appl Microbiol Biotechnol 97:1581-7. 2013
..Moreover, more than 89.1 % recovery of remained (R)-1 is obtainable in five cycles of enzyme reusage, when pH 7 phosphate buffers were employed as the extract at 4 °C...
- Divergent synthesis of 4-epi-fagomine, 3,4-dihydroxypipecolic acid, and a dihydroxyindolizidine and their β-galactosidase inhibitory and immunomodulatory activities
K S Ajish Kumar
Bio Organic Division, Bhabha Atomic Research Centre, Mumbai 400085, India
J Org Chem 78:7406-13. 2013
..The bicyclic compound dihydroxyindolizidine (21) reduced the proinflammatory cytokine (IL-1β and TNF-α) levels in the LPS-activated Raw 264.7 cells without showing any enzyme-inhibition activity. ..
- Argatroban anticoagulation in pediatric patients: a literature analysis
Marcie J Hursting
Clinical Science Consulting, Austin, TX, USA
J Pediatr Hematol Oncol 28:4-10. 2006
..Due to the limitations of case reports and/or case series, prospective studies with pharmacokinetic analyses are needed to evaluate the use of argatroban in pediatric patients...
- Immobilization of anticoagulant-loaded liposomes on cell surfaces by DNA hybridization
Department of Reparative Materials, Institute for Frontier Medical Sciences, Kyoto University, 53 Kawara cho, Shogoin, Sakyo ku, Kyoto 606 8507, Japan
Biomaterials 32:7971-7. 2011
- Stereoselective preparation of lipidated carboxymethyl-proline/pipecolic acid derivatives via coupling of engineered crotonases with an alkylmalonyl-CoA synthetase
Refaat B Hamed
Department of Chemistry, University of Oxford, 12 Mansfield Road, Oxford, OX1 3TA, UK
Org Biomol Chem 11:8191-6. 2013
..The results illustrate the biocatalytic utility of crotonases in tandem enzyme-catalysed reactions for stereoselective synthesis...
- Effects of smoking on outcomes after acute atherothrombotic stroke in Japanese men
Center of Medical Information Science, Kochi Medical School, Kochi University, Kohasu, Oko cho, Nankoku City, Kochi 783 8505, Japan Integrated Center for Advanced Medical Technologies, Kochi Medical School, Kochi University, Kohasu, Oko cho, Nankoku City, Kochi 783 8505, Japan Electronic address
J Neurol Sci 335:164-8. 2013
..The effects of smoking on clinical outcomes following acute stroke remain controversial...
- Impact of renal function on argatroban therapy during percutaneous coronary intervention
Marcie J Hursting
Clinical Science Consulting, Austin, TX, USA
J Thromb Thrombolysis 29:1-7. 2010
..Renal dysfunction may be associated with slower (by minutes) ACT effect decay after argatroban cessation. Argatroban is well tolerated in PCI patients with renal impairment...
- [Heparin-induced thrombocytopenia]
Cardiology Division, Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Rev Esp Cardiol 60:1071-82. 2007
..This review contains a discussion of the diagnosis and treatment of this syndrome...
- Functional analysis of genes encoding putative oxidoreductases in Aspergillus oryzae, which are similar to fungal fructosyl-amino acid oxidase
Graduate School of Biological Sciences, Nara Institute of Science and Technology, Ikoma 630 0192, Japan
J Biosci Bioeng 104:424-7. 2007
..rFao10 was active toward only sarcosine, of the substrates tested. The functions of the other proteins were also predicted from a phylogenetic analysis...
- Pharmacokinetics of cycloalliin, an organosulfur compound found in garlic and onion, in rats
Healthcare Research Institute, Wakunaga Pharmaceutical Company, Ltd, 1624 Shimokotachi, Kodacho, Akitakata, Hiroshima 739 1195, Japan
J Agric Food Chem 54:9811-9. 2006
..These findings are helpful for understanding the biological effects of cycloalliin...
- The effect of argatroban on activated protein C resistance
Dept of Pathology, Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, USA
Am J Clin Pathol 131:828-33. 2009
..Argatroban increases the APC resistance ratio, which can mask a diagnosis of APC resistance and, therefore, factor V Leiden. Clinicians should be advised that APC resistance testing for patients receiving argatroban is not valid...
- Argatroban therapy in patients with coronary artery disease and heparin-induced thrombocytopenia
Ik Kyung Jang
Massachusetts General Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Cardiology 109:172-6. 2008
..01), and led to less bleeding (4 versus 15%, p = 0.046). Therefore, in patients with coronary artery disease who develop heparin-induced thrombocytopenia, argatroban provides safe, effective anticoagulation...
- NMDA receptor activity in learning spatial procedural strategies I. The influence of hippocampal lesions
Maria G Leggio
IRCCS S Lucia, Rome, Italy
Brain Res Bull 70:347-55. 2006
..These findings indicate that even in the absence of the hippocampal formation the NMDA receptor antagonist found a site of action to influence the acquisition of spatial procedures to search for the platform...
- The effect of ex vivo anticoagulants on whole blood platelet aggregation
Madeleine L Kalb
Department of Special Anesthesiology and Pain Management, Medical University of Vienna, Vienna, Austria
Platelets 20:7-11. 2009
..For point-of-care monitoring with immediate analysis after blood withdrawal all tested direct thrombin inhibitors as well as unfractionated heparin can be used as anticoagulants whereas citrate is not recommended...
- Comparison of activated clotting times obtained using Hemochron and Medtronic analysers in patients receiving anti-thrombin therapy during cardiac catheterisation
Cardiology Division, Massachusetts General Hospital, 55 Fruit Street GRB 800, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Thromb Haemost 101:535-40. 2009
..Paradoxically, Medtronic ACT results were higher after argatroban therapy. Understanding this discrepancy is crucial when using ACT to guide invasive cardiac procedures...
- Proline/pipecolinic acid-promoted copper-catalyzed P-arylation
Key Laboratory of Bioorganic Phosphorus Chemistry and Chemical Biology Ministry of Education, Department of Chemistry, Tsinghua University, Beijing 100084, PR China
J Org Chem 71:5020-2. 2006
- Argatroban in extracorporeal membrane oxygenation
Klinik für Anästhesiologie und Intensivmedizin Universitätsklinikum Essen, Universitat Duisburg Essen, Germany
Artif Organs 31:461-5. 2007
..However, a dose 10-fold lower than that recommended by the manufacturer is sufficient to achieve appropriate anticoagulation in critically ill patients undergoing ECMO...
- Practical issues in the development of argatroban: a perspective
Departments of Pathology and Pharmacology, Loyola University Medical Center, Maywood, IL 60153, USA
Pathophysiol Haemost Thromb 32:56-65. 2002
..The pharmacological profile of argatroban is unique as this antithrombin drug not only inhibits thrombogenesis but also modulates cellular functions. Because of its broad spectral actions, argatroban will have more expanded indications...
- Effects of pentasaccharide (fondaparinux) and direct thrombin inhibitors on coagulation testing
Robert C Gosselin
Department of Pathology, University of California, Davis Medical Center, Sacramento, Calif 95817, USA
Arch Pathol Lab Med 128:1142-5. 2004
..The effects of DTIs on activated partial thromboplastin time and prothrombin time measurements have been reported previously, but there are limited data on the impact of these anticoagulants on other coagulation tests...
- Mild hypothermia enhances the neuroprotective effects of a selective thrombin inhibitor following transient focal ischemia in rats
Second Department of Internal Medicine, Nippon Medical School, Tokyo, Japan
Acta Neurochir Suppl 86:195-8. 2003
- Neuroprotection by the alpha2-adrenoceptor agonist, dexmedetomidine, in rat focal cerebral ischemia
Department of Neurology, University of Kuopio, Finland
Eur J Pharmacol 372:31-6. 1999
..Its neuroprotective efficacy was better than that produced by CGS-19775, and dexmedetomidine was safer with respect to kidney toxicity when compared to NBQX...