Genomes and Genes
Summary: A specific opiate antagonist that has no agonist activity. It is a competitive antagonist at mu, delta, and kappa opioid receptors.
Publications366 found, 100 shown here
- Naloxone protects rat dopaminergic neurons against inflammatory damage through inhibition of microglia activation and superoxide generationB Liu
Neuropharmacology Section, Laboratory of Pharmacology and Chemistry, National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences, Research Triangle Park, North Carolina 27709, USA
J Pharmacol Exp Ther 293:607-17. 2000..The LPS-induced degeneration of the midbrain neurons was significantly reduced by cotreatment with naloxone, an opioid receptor antagonist...
- Naloxone and ouabain in ultralow concentrations restore Na+/K+-ATPase and cytoskeleton in lipopolysaccharide-treated astrocytesJohan Forshammar
Department of Clinical Neuroscience and Rehabilitation, Institute of Neuroscience and Physiology, Sahlgrenska Academy, University of Gothenburg, Per Dubbsgatan 14, 1tr, SE 413 45, Gothenburg, Sweden
J Biol Chem 286:31586-97. 2011..b>Naloxone and ouabain were tested separately in ultralow or high concentrations...
- Buprenorphine and buprenorphine/naloxone diversion, misuse, and illicit use: an international reviewMichael A Yokell
Division of Infectious Diseases, The Miriam Hospital, Providence, RI 02906, USA
Curr Drug Abuse Rev 4:28-41. 2011The diversion, misuse, and non-medically supervised use of buprenorphine and buprenorphine/naloxone by opioid users are reviewed...
- Neuroprotective effects of naloxone against light-induced photoreceptor degeneration through inhibiting retinal microglial activationYing qin Ni
Department of Ophthalmology, Eye and ENT Hospital of Fudan University, Shanghai, People s Republic of China
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 49:2589-98. 2008To determine the role of microglial activation in light-induced photoreceptor degeneration and the neuroprotective effects of naloxone as a novel microglial inhibitor.
- Non-stereoselective reversal of neuropathic pain by naloxone and naltrexone: involvement of toll-like receptor 4 (TLR4)Mark R Hutchinson
Department of Psychology and the Center for Neuroscience, Campus Box 345, University of Colorado at Boulder, Boulder, CO 80309 0345, USA
Eur J Neurosci 28:20-9. 2008..Additionally, (+)-naltrexone, (+)-naloxone, and (-)-naloxone, which we show here to be TLR4 antagonists in vitro on both stably transfected HEK293-TLR4 and ..
- HIV treatment outcomes among HIV-infected, opioid-dependent patients receiving buprenorphine/naloxone treatment within HIV clinical care settings: results from a multisite studyFrederick L Altice
Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT, USA
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 56:S22-32. 2011..Having opioid dependence and HIV infection are associated with poor HIV-related treatment outcomes...
- Ultra-low dose naloxone upregulates interleukin-10 expression and suppresses neuroinflammation in morphine-tolerant rat spinal cordsShinn Long Lin
Graduate Institute of Medical Science, National Defense Medical Center, Taipei, Taiwan
Behav Brain Res 207:30-6. 2010Co-infusion of ultra-low dose naloxone and morphine attenuates morphine tolerance through the prevention of mu opioid receptor-Gs protein coupling...
- Naloxone-precipitated morphine withdrawal behavior and brain IL-1β expression: comparison of different mouse strainsLiang Liu
Discipline of Pharmacology, School of Medical Sciences, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Adelaide, Adelaide, South Australia 5005, Australia
Brain Behav Immun 25:1223-32. 2011..Moreover, this study demonstrated the advantages of utilizing multiple mouse strains and indicates that appropriate choice of mouse strains could enhance future research outcomes...
- Antinociceptive effects of interleukin-4, -10, and -13 on the writhing response in mice and zymosan-induced knee joint incapacitation in ratsMariana L Vale
Department of Physiology and Pharmacology, Faculty of Medicine, Federal University of Ceara, Fortaleza, Ceara, Brazil
J Pharmacol Exp Ther 304:102-8. 2003..effect of IL-4, -10, and -13 was not reversed by the combined pretreatment with the opioid receptor antagonist naloxone. IL-4, -10, or -13 significantly inhibited the release of both tumor necrosis factor (TNF)-alpha (60, 53, and 100%..
- Naloxone ameliorates retinal lesions in Ccl2/Cx3cr1 double-deficient mice via modulation of microgliaDeFen Shen
Immunopathology Section, Laboratory of Immunology, National Eye Institute, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892 1857, USA
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 52:2897-904. 2011The role of naloxone, an opioid receptor antagonist, on microglial inhibition and neuroprotective effects has been reported in lipopolysaccharide (LPS)-induced neurodegeneration and light-induced photoreceptor degeneration...
- Activation of stress-related hypothalamic neuropeptide gene expression during morphine withdrawalCristina Nunez
Department of Pharmacology, University of Murcia, Murcia, Spain
J Neurochem 101:1060-71. 2007..reveal secretory, activational and transcriptional changes in the hypothalamus of morphine-dependent rats during naloxone precipitated opioid withdrawal, we measured corticosterone secretion, c-Fos induction and heteronuclear (hn)RNA ..
- Meeting the challenges of opioid-induced constipation in chronic pain management - a novel approachKaren Reimer
Mundipharma Research GmbH and Co KG, Limburg Lahn, Germany
Pharmacology 83:10-7. 2009..the coadministration of a mu-opioid receptor antagonist with negligible systemic availability, such as oral naloxone. Combination therapy with prolonged-release (PR) oxycodone plus PR naloxone has been shown to provide effective ..
- FAAH inhibitor, URB-597, promotes extinction and CB(1) antagonist, SR141716, inhibits extinction of conditioned aversion produced by naloxone-precipitated morphine withdrawal, but not extinction of conditioned preference produced by morphine in ratsLaurie A Manwell
Department of Psychology, University of Guelph, Guelph, ON N1G2W1, Canada
Pharmacol Biochem Behav 94:154-62. 2009..In the conditioned floor aversion procedure (Expt. 3), rats trained to associate a naloxone-precipitated morphine withdrawal with a floor cue were administered URB-597 or SR141716 prior to each of 24 ..
- Expanded access to naloxone: options for critical response to the epidemic of opioid overdose mortalityDaniel Kim
American Medical Association, Chicago, IL, USA
Am J Public Health 99:402-7. 2009..For more than 3 decades, naloxone has been used by emergency medical personnel to pharmacologically reverse overdoses...
- Combined oral prolonged-release oxycodone and naloxone in opioid-induced bowel dysfunction: review of efficacy and safety data in the treatment of patients experiencing chronic painKatri Elina Clemens
University of Bonn, Malteser Hospital Bonn Rhein Sieg, Centre for Palliative Medicine, Department of Science and Research, Von Hompesch Str 1, D 53123 Bonn, Germany
Expert Opin Pharmacother 11:297-310. 2010..The combination of the strong opioid oxycodone and the opioid antagonist naloxone has the potential to prevent opioid-induced bowel dysfunction (OIBD) while maintaining analgesic efficacy.
- Changes in the expression of glial glutamate transporters in the rat brain accompanied with morphine dependence and naloxone-precipitated withdrawalT Ozawa
Department of Molecular Pharmacology, Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Kyoto University, Kyoto 606-8501, Japan
Brain Res 905:254-8. 2001..for the glial glutamate transporters, GLT-1 and GLAST, in the rat brain accompanied with morphine dependence and naloxone-precipitated withdrawal was investigated by Northern blot analysis...
- Buprenorphine antinociception is abolished, but naloxone-sensitive reward is retained, in mu-opioid receptor knockout miceSoichiro Ide
Department of Molecular Psychiatry, Tokyo Institute of Psychiatry, Tokyo, Japan
Neuropsychopharmacology 29:1656-63. 2004..The remaining CPP of buprenorphine was abolished by pretreatment with the nonselective opioid antagonist naloxone, but only partially blocked by pretreatment with either the delta-selective opioid antagonist naltrindole or the ..
- Chronic exposure to mu-opioid agonists produces constitutive activation of mu-opioid receptors in direct proportion to the efficacy of the agonist used for pretreatmentJ G Liu
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, Little Rock, Arkansas 72205, USA
Mol Pharmacol 60:53-62. 2001..After chronic treatment, the mu-opioid antagonists naloxone and beta-chlornaltrexamine (beta-CNA) were evaluated in two assays predictive of inverse agonist activity...
- Naloxone acts as an antagonist of estrogen receptor activity in MCF-7 cellsMariya Farooqui
Division of Hematology, Oncology and Transplantation, University of Minnesota Medical School, 420 Delaware Street Southeast, Minneapolis, MN 55455, USA
Mol Cancer Ther 5:611-20. 2006..Earlier studies showed that the opioid receptor antagonist naloxone inhibits MCF-7 breast cancer growth in mice...
- Office-based treatment of opiate addiction with a sublingual-tablet formulation of buprenorphine and naloxonePaul J Fudala
Veterans Affairs VA Medical Center, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, USA
N Engl J Med 349:949-58. 2003Office-based treatment of opiate addiction with a sublingual-tablet formulation of buprenorphine and naloxone has been proposed, but its efficacy and safety have not been well studied.
- Opioid receptors in the gastrointestinal tractPeter Holzer
Research Unit of Translational Neurogastroenterology, Institute of Experimental and Clinical Pharmacology, Medical University of Graz, Universitatsplatz 4, A 8010 Graz, Austria
Regul Pept 155:11-7. 2009..is addressed by the use of opioid receptor antagonists with limited absorption such as oral prolonged-release naloxone and opioid receptor antagonists that do not penetrate the blood-brain barrier such as methylnaltrexone and ..
- Systemic infusion of naloxone reduces degeneration of rat substantia nigral dopaminergic neurons induced by intranigral injection of lipopolysaccharideB Liu
Neuropharmacology Section, Laboratory of Pharmacology and Chemistry, National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences, Research Triangle Park, North Carolina, USA
J Pharmacol Exp Ther 295:125-32. 2000..degeneration of dopaminergic neurons was significantly attenuated by the opiate receptor antagonist (-)-naloxone and its inactive isomer (+)-naloxone, with equal potency, through an inhibition of microglial activation and ..
- Distinguishing signs of opioid overdose and indication for naloxone: an evaluation of six overdose training and naloxone distribution programs in the United StatesTraci C Green
Department of Epidemiology and Public Health, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT 06520 8034, USA
Addiction 103:979-89. 2008This study assessed overdose and naloxone administration knowledge among current or former opioid abusers trained and untrained in overdose-response in the United States.
- Cost-effectiveness of distributing naloxone to heroin users for lay overdose reversalPhillip O Coffin
San Francisco Department of Public Health, San Francisco, CA 94102, USA
Ann Intern Med 158:1-9. 2013..Opioid overdose is a leading cause of accidental death in the United States...
- The endogenous opioid system is not involved in modulation of opioid-induced hyperalgesiaLarry F Chu
Department of Anesthesia, Stanford University School of Medicine, 300 Pasteur Drive, Stanford, CA 94305, USA
J Pain 12:108-15. 2011..03). In order to test endogenous opioid system modulation of OIH, patients were given a 1-time bolus of naloxone, which had no effect on the size of the hyperalgesic lesion in either the remifentinal or placebo session...
- Population pharmacokinetics of intravenous, intramuscular, and intranasal naloxone in human volunteersJonathonm Dowling
Clinical and Experimental Toxicology Unit, Prince of Wales Hospital and Prince of Wales Clinical School, University of NSW, Sydney, Australia
Ther Drug Monit 30:490-6. 2008To investigate the pharmacokinetics of naloxone in healthy volunteers, we undertook an open-label crossover study in which six male volunteers received naloxone on five occasions: intravenous (0.8 mg), intramuscular (0...
- The effect of opioid receptor blockade on the neural processing of thermal stimuliEszter D Schoell
NeuroImage Nord, Department of Systems Neuroscience, University Medical Center Hamburg Eppendorf, Hamburg, Germany
PLoS ONE 5:e12344. 2010..non-painful and painful thermal stimuli in a double-blind, cross-over design using the opioid receptor antagonist naloxone. On the behavioral level, we observed an increase in intensity ratings under naloxone due mainly to a difference ..
- Naloxone precipitates nicotine abstinence syndrome and attenuates nicotine-induced antinociception in miceGrażyna Biała
Department of Pharmacology and Pharmacodynamics, Medical University of Lublin, Staszica 4, PL 20 081 Lublin, Poland
Pharmacol Rep 57:755-60. 2005..Additionally, the opioid receptor antagonist naloxone (0.5 and 1 mg/kg), dose-dependently attenuated this effect...
- Antagonism of orexin type 1 receptors in the locus coeruleus attenuates signs of naloxone-precipitated morphine withdrawal in ratsHossein Azizi
Department of Physiology, Faculty of Medical Sciences, Tarbiat Modares University, PO Box 14115 331, Tehran, IR, Iran
Neurosci Lett 482:255-9. 2010..The aim of the present study is to investigate the role of LC orexin type 1 receptors (OXR1) on naloxone-precipitated morphine withdrawal signs in rats...
- (+)-naloxone, an opioid-inactive toll-like receptor 4 signaling inhibitor, reverses multiple models of chronic neuropathic pain in ratsSusannah S Lewis
Department of Psychology and Neuroscience, University of Colorado at Boulder, 80309 0345, USA
J Pain 13:498-506. 2012Previous work demonstrated that both the opioid antagonist (-)-naloxone and the non-opioid (+)-naloxone inhibit toll-like receptor 4 (TLR4) signaling and reverse neuropathic pain expressed shortly after chronic constriction injury...
- Provision of naloxone to injection drug users as an overdose prevention strategy: early evidence from a pilot study in New York CitySandro Galea
Center for Urban Epidemiologic Studies, New York Academy of Medicine, New York, NY 10029, USA
Addict Behav 31:907-12. 2006b>Naloxone, an opiate antagonist that can avert opiate overdose morality, has long been prescribed to drug users in Europe and in a few US cities...
- Abuse liability of intravenous buprenorphine/naloxone and buprenorphine alone in buprenorphine-maintained intravenous heroin abusersSandra D Comer
Department of Psychiatry, Columbia University, New York State Psychiatric Institute, New York, NY 10032, USA
Addiction 105:709-18. 2010..A buprenorphine/naloxone formulation was developed to mitigate this misuse risk...
- A murine model of opioid-induced hyperalgesiaX Li
Veterans Affairs Palo Alto Health Care System and Stanford University Department of Anesthesiology, 3801 Miranda Ave, Palo Alto, CA 94304, USA
Brain Res Mol Brain Res 86:56-62. 2001..These effects were intensified by intermittent abstinence accomplished through administration of naloxone during morphine treatment...
- Evaluation of an overdose prevention and response training programme for injection drug users in the Skid Row area of Los Angeles, CAKarla D Wagner
Institute for Health Promotion and Disease Prevention Research, Keck School of Medicine, University of Southern California, Alhambra, CA 91803, USA
Int J Drug Policy 21:186-93. 2010..Fatal opioid overdose is a significant cause of mortality among injection drug users (IDUs)...
- Selective mu- and kappa-opioid receptor antagonists administered into the nucleus accumbens interfere with rapid tolerance to ethanol in ratsRafael Koerich Varaschin
Departamento de Farmacologia, Centro de Ciencias Biologicas, CCB, Universidade Federal de Santa Catarina, Campus Universitario Trindade, 88049 900, Florianopolis, Santa Catarina, Brazil
Psychopharmacology (Berl) 206:85-96. 2009..This study investigates the effects of intra-accumbens injection of the selective mu-, delta-, and kappa-opioid antagonists, respectively, naloxonazine, naltrindole, and nor-binaltorphimine, on rapid tolerance to ethanol...
- Low absolute bioavailability of oral naloxone in healthy subjectsKevin Smith
Mundipharma Research Limited, Cambridge Science Park, Cambridge, UK
Int J Clin Pharmacol Ther 50:360-7. 2012To determine the absolute bioavailability of naloxone from oral doses ranging from 5 mg to 120 mg.
- The mu-opioid receptor polymorphism A118G predicts cortisol responses to naloxone and stressRachel Y Chong
Department of Medicine, The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
Neuropsychopharmacology 31:204-11. 2006..We hypothesized that the minor allele (G) would predict cortisol responses to both pharmacological (naloxone) and psychological (stress) activation of the hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal (HPA) axis...
- Reversal effect of intra-central amygdala microinjection of L-arginine on place aversion induced by naloxone in morphine conditioned ratsSara Karimi
Dept of Biology, Faculty of Basic Sciences, Shahed University, Tehran, Iran
Iran Biomed J 15:92-9. 2011..In this work, the involvement of NO on the expression of opioid-induced conditioning in the task paired with an injection of naloxone was investigated.
- Overdose prevention and naloxone prescription for opioid users in San FranciscoLauren Enteen
Masters Entry Program in Nursing, University of California, San Francisco, CA, USA
J Urban Health 87:931-41. 2010..Opiate overdose can be reversed by administering naloxone, an opiate antagonist...
- The impact of cocaine use on outcomes in HIV-infected patients receiving buprenorphine/naloxoneLynn E Sullivan
Department of Internal Medicine, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT 06520 8093, USA
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 56:S54-61. 2011Cocaine use is common in opioid-dependent HIV-infected patients, but its impact on treatment outcomes in these patients receiving buprenorphine/naloxone is not known.
- Drug treatment outcomes among HIV-infected opioid-dependent patients receiving buprenorphine/naloxoneDavid A Fiellin
Departments of Internal Medicine, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT 06520 8093, USA
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 56:S33-8. 2011Buprenorphine/naloxone allows the integration of opioid dependence and HIV treatment.
- The opioid receptor antagonist, naloxone, protects spinal motor neurons in a murine model of alphavirus encephalomyelitisNatalie A Prow
Department of Molecular Microbiology and Immunology, The Johns Hopkins University Bloomberg School of Public Health, 615 N Wolfe Street, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
Exp Neurol 205:461-70. 2007..Because the opioid receptor antagonist, naloxone (NAL), blocks microglial-mediated neurodegeneration in other models, we examined its effects during NSV infection...
- Effect of naloxone on primary and secondary hyperalgesia induced by the human burn injury modelJ Brennum
Department of Neurosurgery, Rigshospitalet, Denmark
Acta Anaesthesiol Scand 45:954-60. 2001..study was to evaluate whether activation of the endogenous opioid system could be demonstrated in the human burn injury model of cutaneous hyperalgesia, using an intravenous challenge with the non-selective opioid antagonist naloxone.
- Characteristics of an overdose prevention, response, and naloxone distribution program in Pittsburgh and Allegheny County, PennsylvaniaAlex S Bennett
National Development and Research Institutes Inc, Public Health Solutions, New York, NY, USA
J Urban Health 88:1020-30. 2011..In 2005, the OPP augmented overdose prevention and response trainings to include naloxone training and prescription...
- The CB(1) receptor antagonist, AM281, improves recognition loss induced by naloxone in morphine withdrawal miceGolnaz Vaseghi
Department of Pharmacology, School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences and Isfahan Pharmaceutical Sciences Research Center, Isfahan University of Medical Sciences, Isfahan, Iran
Basic Clin Pharmacol Toxicol 111:161-5. 2012..study was to evaluate the effects of AM281, a cannabinoid antagonist/inverse agonist, on memory deficit following naloxone-precipitated morphine withdrawal in mice...
- Prescribing naloxone to actively injecting heroin users: a program to reduce heroin overdose deathsSarz Maxwell
Chicago Recovery Alliance, Chicago, IL, USA
J Addict Dis 25:89-96. 2006Heroin overdose deaths have increased alarmingly in Chicago over the past decade. Naloxone, an opioid antagonist with no abuse potential, has been used to reverse opiate overdose in emergency medical settings for decades...
- Stress-induced analgesia and endogenous opioid peptides: the importance of stress durationDrupad Parikh
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, College of Pharmacy, Western University of Health Sciences, 309 East 2nd Street, Pomona, CA 91766, USA
Eur J Pharmacol 650:563-7. 2011..elicited by the long swim was only slightly reduced in beta-endorphin-deficient mice despite pretreatment with naloxone, a non-selective opioid receptor antagonist, significantly attenuated the antinociception elicited by the long ..
- Providing naloxone to substance users for secondary administration to reduce overdose mortality in New York CityDaliah I Heller
New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene, New York, NY 10013, USA
Public Health Rep 122:393-7. 2007
- Naloxone blocks transferred preconditioning in isolated rabbit heartsE W Dickson
Department of Emergency Medicine, University of Massachusetts Medical School, Worcester, MA 01655, USA
J Mol Cell Cardiol 33:1751-6. 2001..In phase two, three additional groups of hearts (control, PC and PC acceptors) received the opioid antagonist naloxone (2 microM) throughout the intervention phase...
- Ultra-low-dose naloxone restores the antinociceptive effect of morphine and suppresses spinal neuroinflammation in PTX-treated ratsRu Yin Tsai
Graduate Institute of Medical Science, National Defense Medical Center, Taipei, Taiwan
Neuropsychopharmacology 33:2772-82. 2008The aim of the present study was to examine the effect of ultra-low-dose naloxone on pertussis toxin (PTX)-induced thermal hyperalgesia in rats and its underlying mechanisms...
- Intravenous nicotine self-administration in rats: effects of mecamylamine, hexamethonium and naloxoneVictor J DeNoble
Philip Morris Research Center, Behavioral Pharmacology Laboratory, Bells Road, Richmond, VA 23284, USA
Psychopharmacology (Berl) 184:266-72. 2006..Presession injections of hexamethonium (1.5 and 3.0 mg/kg, s.c.) or naloxone (0.75, 1.5, and 3.0 mg/kg, s.c...
- Antiallodynic effects of intrathecal orexins in a rat model of postoperative painJen Kun Cheng
Department of Pharmacology, College of Medicine, National Taiwan University, 1, Jen Ai Rd, Section 1, Taipei 100, Taiwan
J Pharmacol Exp Ther 307:1065-71. 2003..The effects of orexin A and B were abolished by their respective antibodies, but not by naloxone, and were attenuated by suramin and strychnine, the P2X purinergic and glycine receptor antagonists, respectively...
- Restricted role of CRF1 receptor for the activity of brainstem catecholaminergic neurons in the negative state of morphine withdrawalJuan Antonio Garcia-Carmona
Department of Pharmacology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Murcia, 30100, Murcia, Spain
Psychopharmacology (Berl) 220:379-93. 2012..Evidence suggests that corticotropin-releasing factor (CRF) system is an important mediator in the negative symptoms of opioid withdrawal...
- Bowel function during pain therapy with oxycodone/naloxone prolonged-release tablets in patients with advanced cancerK E Clemens
Department of Science and Research, Centre for Palliative Medicine, University of Bonn, Bonn, Germany
Int J Clin Pract 65:472-8. 2011..The aim of the study was to evaluate whether patients with advanced cancer and moderate to severe cancer pain will benefit from treatment with oxycodone/naloxone prolonged-release tablets (OXN), with particular regard to constipation.
- Treating opioid addiction with buprenorphine-naloxone in community-based primary care settingsIra L Mintzer
Harvard Medical School Cambridge Health Alliance, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA
Ann Fam Med 5:146-50. 2007Office-based treatment of opioid addiction with a combination of buprenorphine and naloxone was approved in 2002. Efficacy of this treatment in non-research clinical settings has not been studied...
- Naloxone, but not valsartan, preserves responses to hypoglycemia after antecedent hypoglycemia: role of metabolic reprogramming in counterregulatory failureMichal M Poplawski
Fishberg Center for Neurobiology, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, New York, USA
Diabetes 60:39-46. 2011..On the other hand, clinical studies have demonstrated that the opioid receptor blocker naloxone ameliorates HAAF...
- Naloxone's pentapeptide binding site on filamin A blocks Mu opioid receptor-Gs coupling and CREB activation of acute morphineHoau Yan Wang
Department of Physiology and Pharmacology, City University of New York Medical School, New York, New York, United States of America
PLoS ONE 4:e4282. 2009..Ultra-low-dose naloxone (NLX) prevents this switch and attenuates opioid tolerance and dependence...
- Regulation of extracellular signal-regulated kinases (ERKs) by naloxone-induced morphine withdrawal in the brain stress systemCristina Nunez
Department of Pharmacology, University School of Medicine, Campus de Espinardo, 30100, Murcia, Spain
Naunyn Schmiedebergs Arch Pharmacol 378:407-20. 2008..We show that naloxone-induced morphine withdrawal activates extracellular signal-regulated kinases(1/2) and increases c-Fos expression ..
- Validation of the Bowel Function Index to detect clinically meaningful changes in opioid-induced constipationA M Rentz
Center for Health Outcomes Research, United BioSource Corporation, Bethesda, MD, USA
J Med Econ 12:371-83. 2009..The objective of the present analysis was to evaluate the psychometric characteristics of the BFI using data from clinical studies of oral prolonged release (PR) oxycodone/naloxone.
- High doses of oxycodone-naloxone combination may provide poor analgesiaSebastiano Mercadante
Pain Relief and Palliative Care Unit, La Maddalena Cancer Center, Via San Lorenzo 312, 90146, Palermo, Italy
Support Care Cancer 19:1471-2. 2011Several studies have shown that an oxycodone/naloxone combination (ratio 2:1) provides analgesia and less constipation in non-cancer patients receiving relatively low doses of this formulation...
- Counseling plus buprenorphine-naloxone maintenance therapy for opioid dependenceDavid A Fiellin
Department of Internal Medicine, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Conn 06520, USA
N Engl J Med 355:365-74. 2006The optimal level of counseling and frequency of attendance for medication distribution has not been established for the primary care, office-based buprenorphine-naloxone treatment of opioid dependence.
- Morphine withdrawal-induced c-fos expression in the hypothalamic paraventricular nucleus is dependent on the activation of catecholaminergic neuronesM Luisa Laorden
Equip of Cellular and Molecular Pharmacology, University School of Medicine, Campus de Espinardo, 30100 Murcia, Spain
J Neurochem 83:132-40. 2002..Morphine withdrawal was precipitated by administration of naloxone (5 mg/kg subcutaneously) on day 8...
- Innovative pain therapy with a fixed combination of prolonged-release oxycodone/naloxone: a large observational study under conditions of daily practiceU Schutter
Schmerztherapeutische Schwerpunktpraxis, Marl, Germany
Curr Med Res Opin 26:1377-87. 2010..Chronic pain has a marked negative impact on quality of life. Opioid treatment is often effective in controlling this pain, but it has numerous side-effects, particularly affecting bowel function...
- Quality of life benefits and cost impact of prolonged release oxycodone/naloxone versus prolonged release oxycodone in patients with moderate-to-severe non-malignant pain and opioid-induced constipation: a UK cost-utility analysisWilliam Dunlop
Mundipharma International Limited, Cambridge Science Park, Milton Road, Cambridge, UK
J Med Econ 15:564-75. 2012To compare the cost effectiveness of prolonged release oxycodone/naloxone (OXN) tablets (Targinact) and prolonged release oxycodone (OXY) tablets (OxyContin) in patients with moderate-to-severe non-malignant pain and opioid-induced ..
- Naloxone inhibits immune cell function by suppressing superoxide production through a direct interaction with gp91phox subunit of NADPH oxidaseQingshan Wang
Neuropharmacology Section, Laboratory of Toxicology and Pharmacology, National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences, Research Triangle Park, NC, USA
J Neuroinflammation 9:32. 2012Both (-) and (+)-naloxone attenuate inflammation-mediated neurodegeneration by inhibition of microglial activation through superoxide reduction in an opioid receptor-independent manner...
- Preventing death among the recently incarcerated: an argument for naloxone prescription before releaseSarah E Wakeman
Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University, Providence, RI, USA
J Addict Dis 28:124-9. 2009..Nearly all participants expressed an interest in being trained in overdose prevention with Naloxone. The risk of death from overdose is greatly increased in the weeks following release from prison...
- Effect of naloxone on perceived exertion and exercise capacity during maximal cycle ergometryAnthony L Sgherza
Department of Physical Education and Exercise Science, Brooklyn College, Brooklyn, NY 11210, USA
J Appl Physiol 93:2023-8. 2002We assessed the effects of naloxone, an opioid antagonist, on exercise capacity in 13 men and 5 women (mean age = 30...
- Naloxone does not increase the minimum alveolar anesthetic concentration of sevoflurane in miceMark Liao
Department of Anesthesia and Perioperative Care, University of California, San Francisco, CA 94143 0464, USA
Anesth Analg 102:1452-5. 2006..of inhaled anesthetics to produce immobility in the face of noxious stimulation because administration of naloxone (a nonspecific opioid receptor antagonist) does not increase the minimum alveolar anesthetic concentration (MAC) ..
- A randomized, double-blind, active-controlled, double-dummy, parallel-group study to determine the safety and efficacy of oxycodone/naloxone prolonged-release tablets in patients with moderate/severe, chronic cancer painSam H Ahmedzai
School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences, University of Sheffield, Sheffield, UK
Palliat Med 26:50-60. 2012An examination of whether oxycodone/naloxone prolonged-release tablets (OXN PR) can improve constipation and maintain analgesia, compared with oxycodone prolonged-release tablets (OxyPR) in patients with moderate/severe cancer pain.
- Induction of opioid-dependent individuals onto buprenorphine and buprenorphine/naloxone soluble-filmsE C Strain
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Clin Pharmacol Ther 89:443-9. 2011A sublingual soluble-film formulation of buprenorphine/naloxone (B/N) has been approved by the US Food and Drug Administration for the treatment of opioid dependency...
- Effect of synthetic beta-endorphin-like peptide immunorphin on human T lymphocytesE V Navolotskaya
Branch of the Shemyakin and Ovchinnikov Institute of Bioorganic Chemistry, Russian Academy of Sciences, pr Nauki 6, Pushchino, Moscow Region, 142290 Russia
Biochemistry (Mosc) 67:357-63. 2002..Met(5)]Enkephalin and the antagonist of opioid receptors naloxone examined in parallel were inactive...
- Controlled cross-over study in normal subjects of naloxone-preceding-lactate infusions; respiratory and subjective responses: relationship to endogenous opioid system, suffocation false alarm theory and childhood parental lossM Preter
Department of Psychiatry, Columbia University, and New York State Psychiatric Institute, New York, NY, USA
Psychol Med 41:385-93. 2011..We hypothesized that impairing the opioidergic system by naloxone could make normal controls parallel PD patients' response when lactate challenged...
- Naloxone-precipitated withdrawal enhances ERK phosphorylation in prefrontal association cortex and accumbens nucleus of morphine-dependent miceTao Li
Forensic Department, Xi an Jiaotong University School of Medicine, 76 West Yanta Road, Xi an 710061, PR China
Neurosci Lett 468:348-52. 2010..b>Naloxone-precipitated withdrawal led to more body weight loss, compared with spontaneous withdrawal...
- Spinal and peripheral analgesic effects of the CB2 cannabinoid receptor agonist AM1241 in two models of bone cancer-induced painV Curto-Reyes
Laboratorio de Farmacologia, Facultad de Medicina, Instituto Universitario de Oncologia del Principado de Asturias IUOPA, Universidad de Oviedo, Oviedo, Asturias, Spain
Br J Pharmacol 160:561-73. 2010..The present experiments were designed to study whether the activation of peripheral or spinal CB(2) receptors relieves thermal hyperalgesia and mechanical allodynia in two models of bone cancer pain...
- Naloxone reduces levodopa-induced dyskinesias and apomorphine-induced rotations in primate models of parkinsonismR Klintenberg
Department of Pharmaceutical Biosciences, Uppsala University, Biomedicum, Uppsala, Sweden
J Neural Transm 109:1295-307. 2002..of the endogenous opioid system may underlie the development of levodopa-induced dyskinesias, the effect of naloxone, an opioid antagonist, on dyskinesias was investigated in two models of parkinsonism in the common marmoset...
- In vivo characterization of 6beta-naltrexol, an opioid ligand with less inverse agonist activity compared with naltrexone and naloxone in opioid-dependent miceKirsten M Raehal
Department of Pharmacology, University of New England College of Osteopathic Medicine, Biddeford, ME 04005, USA
J Pharmacol Exp Ther 313:1150-62. 2005..quot;neutral" antagonist 6beta-naltrexol in comparison to other ligands with varying efficacy, such as naloxone, an inverse agonist in the opioid-dependent state...
- Morphine preconditioning attenuates neutrophil activation in rat models of myocardial infarctionT L Wang
Department of Emergency Medicine, Shin Kong Wu Ho Su Memorial Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan
Cardiovasc Res 40:557-63. 1998..86 +/- 1.98 vs. 5.12 +/- 1.10 nmol/mg protein in control group; p < 0.001). Naloxone (mu-opioid receptor antagonist) (4.82 +/- 1.02 nmol/mg protein) and phosphoramidon (NEP inhibitor) (4.66 +/- 1...
- Morphine postconditioning protects against reperfusion injury in the isolated rat heartsZuolei Chen
Department of Anesthesiology, Affiliated Beijing Tongren Hospital, Capital University of Medical Science, Beijing, China
J Surg Res 145:287-94. 2008....
- Involvement of nitric oxide in the inhibition of bone cancer-induced hyperalgesia through the activation of peripheral opioid receptors in miceLuis Menéndez
Laboratorio de Farmacologia, Facultad de Medicina, Instituto Universitario de Oncologia del Principado de Asturias IUOPA, Universidad de Oviedo, C Julian Claveria 6, 33006 Oviedo, Asturias, Spain
Neuropharmacology 53:71-80. 2007..The blockade of this effect by coadministering a peripheral opioid receptor antagonist (naloxone methiodide), a nitric oxide synthase (NOS) inhibitor (L-NMMA), a soluble guanylyl cyclase inhibitor (ODQ), a PKG ..
- Cloning of a delta opioid receptor by functional expressionC J Evans
Department of Psychiatry, University of California, School of Medicine, Los Angeles 90024 1759
Science 258:1952-5. 1992..The sequence shows homology to G protein-coupled receptors, in particular the receptors for somatostatin, angiotensin, and interleukin-8...
- Attitudes about prescribing take-home naloxone to injection drug users for the management of heroin overdose: a survey of street-recruited injectors in the San Francisco Bay AreaKaren H Seal
Department of Family and Community Medicine, University of California, San Francisco, CA 94110, USA
J Urban Health 80:291-301. 2003b>Naloxone, an injectable opiate antagonist, can immediately reverse an opiate overdose and prevent overdose death. We sought to determine injection drug users' (IDUs) attitudes about being prescribed take-home naloxone...
- Improved HIV and substance abuse treatment outcomes for released HIV-infected prisoners: the impact of buprenorphine treatmentSANDRA ANN SPRINGER
Yale AIDS Program, 135 College Street, Suite 323, New Haven, CT 06510, USA
J Urban Health 87:592-602. 2010..Of these, 30 (62.5%) selected OAT, either as methadone (N = 7, 14.5%) or buprenorphine/naloxone (BPN/NLX; N = 23, 48.0%)...
- Neural correlates of the motivational and somatic components of naloxone-precipitated morphine withdrawalFrancois Frenois
Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique, Unité Mixte de Recherche 5541 Interactions Neuronales et Comportements, BP28, Universite Victor Segalen, Bordeaux 2, 146 rue Leo Saignat, 33076 Bordeaux Cedex, France
Eur J Neurosci 16:1377-89. 2002In morphine-dependent rats, low naloxone doses have been shown to induce conditioned place aversion, which reflects the negative motivational component of opiate withdrawal...
- Long-term efficacy and safety of combined prolonged-release oxycodone and naloxone in the management of non-cancer chronic painA Sandner-Kiesling
Department of Anaesthesiology and Intensive Care Medicine, Medical University, Graz, Austria
Int J Clin Pract 64:763-74. 2010The aim of this study was to assess safety and efficacy of fixed combination oxycodone prolonged release (PR)/naloxone PR in terms of both analgesia and improving opioid-induced bowel dysfunction (OIBD) and associated symptoms, such as ..
- Combined prolonged-release oxycodone and naloxone improves bowel function in patients receiving opioids for moderate-to-severe non-malignant chronic pain: a randomised controlled trialO Lowenstein
Mundipharma Research GmbH and Co KG, Limburg Lahn, Germany
Expert Opin Pharmacother 10:531-43. 2009..multicentre study assessed the impact of a total daily dose of 60-80 mg oral oxycodone prolonged-release (PR)/naloxone PR (OXN PR) as fixed-ratio combination for patients with opioid-induced constipation (OIC) having moderate-to-..
- Enhanced morphine analgesia in mice lacking beta-arrestin 2L M Bohn
Howard Hughes Medical Institute Laboratories, Departments of Cell Biology and Medicine, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 27710, USA
Science 286:2495-8. 1999..Moreover, they suggest that inhibition of beta-arrestin 2 function might lead to enhanced analgesic effectiveness of morphine and provide potential new avenues for the study and treatment of pain, narcotic tolerance, and dependence...
- Opioid-sensitive GABA inputs from rostromedial tegmental nucleus synapse onto midbrain dopamine neuronsAya Matsui
Vollum Institute, Oregon Health and Science University, Portland, Oregon 97239, USA
J Neurosci 31:17729-35. 2011....
- Evaluation of the Staying Alive programme: training injection drug users to properly administer naloxone and save livesKarin E Tobin
Department of Health, Behavior and Society, Bloomberg School of Public Health, Johns Hopkins University, 2213 McElderry Street, Second Floor, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
Int J Drug Policy 20:131-6. 2009..a number of overdose prevention programmes have been implemented that include training drug users to administer naloxone, an opiate antagonist...
- Stereoselective action of (+)-morphine over (-)-morphine in attenuating the (-)-morphine-produced antinociception via the naloxone-sensitive sigma receptor in the mouseHsiang En Wu
Department of Anesthesiology, Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, WI 53226, USA
Eur J Pharmacol 571:145-51. 2007..morphine-produced tail-flick inhibition and the effects of (+)-morphine and (-)-morphine are mediated by the naloxone-sensitive sigma receptor activation in male CD-1 mice. Pretreatment with (+)-morphine at a dose of 0...
- Role of oxycodone and oxycodone/naloxone in cancer pain managementWojciech Leppert
Department of Palliative Medicine, Poznan University of Medical Sciences, Osiedle Rusa 25 A, PL 61 245 Poznań, Poland
Pharmacol Rep 62:578-91. 2010..new product that was launched recently is a combination of prolonged-release oxycodone with prolonged-release naloxone (oxycodone/naloxone tablets)...
- A trial of integrated buprenorphine/naloxone and HIV clinical careLynn E Sullivan
Department of Internal Medicine, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT 06520 8025, USA
Clin Infect Dis 43:S184-90. 2006..We investigated the feasibility and efficacy of integrating buprenorphine, along with 2 levels of counseling, into HIV clinical care...
- Evidence that opioids may have toll-like receptor 4 and MD-2 effectsMark R Hutchinson
Department of Psychology and the Center for Neuroscience, University of Colorado at Boulder, Boulder, CO 80309 0345, USA
Brain Behav Immun 24:83-95. 2010..induced TLR4 signaling in vitro, blocked by a classical TLR4 antagonist and non-stereoselectively by naloxone. Pharmacological blockade of TLR4 signaling in vivo potentiated acute intrathecal morphine analgesia, attenuated ..
- Pharmacological dissection of the paradoxical pain induced by a thermal grillDelphine Kern
INSERM U 792, Centre d Evaluation et de Traitement de la Douleur, CHU Ambroise Pare, 9, avenue Charles de Gaulle, Boulogne Billancourt F 92100, France
Pain 135:291-9. 2008..v. ketamine or naloxone to those of placebo, on the sensations produced by a thermode (i.e...
- Opioid withdrawal for 4 days prevents synaptic depression induced by low dose of morphine or naloxone in rat hippocampal CA1 area in vivoZhifang Dong
Key Laboratory of Animal Models and Human Disease Mechanisms, Kunming, People s Republic of China
Hippocampus 20:335-43. 2010..Here, we examined the effects of low dose of morphine (0.5 mg kg(-1), i.p.) or the opioid receptor antagonist naloxone (1 mg kg(-1), i.p.) on synaptic efficacy in the hippocampal CA1 region of anesthetized rats...
- Attenuation of naloxone-induced Vc pERK hyper-expression following capsaicin stimulation of the face in aged ratIkuko Suzuki
Department of Physiology, School of Dentistry, Nihon University, 1 8 13 Kandasurugadai, Chiyoda ku, Tokyo 101 8310, Japan
Neurosci Lett 442:39-43. 2008..Pretreatment with naloxone significantly increased the number of capsaicin-induced pERK-LI cells in adult rats but not in aged rats...
- Are heroin overdose deaths related to patient release after prehospital treatment with naloxone?G M Vilke
Department of Emergency Medicine, University of California, San Diego Medical Center, 92103, USA
Prehosp Emerg Care 3:183-6. 1999b>Naloxone is frequently used by prehospital care providers to treat suspected heroin and opioid overdoses...
- Different effect of high doses of naloxone on spinal reflexes in normal subjects and chronic paraplegic patientsG Sandrini
Department of Neurological Sciences, University Center for Adaptive Disorders and Headache, IRCCS C Mondino Foundation, University of Pavia, Italy
Neurosci Lett 261:5-8. 1999There is still controversy over the effects of naloxone on spinal reflexes in view of the fact that both facilitatory and inhibitory activities have been observed...
- Delayed postoperative latent pain sensitization revealed by the systemic administration of opioid antagonists in miceAna Campillo
Department of Anesthesiology, Pain Research Unit, Institut Municipal d Investigacio Medica, Hospital del Mar, Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain, Passeig Maritim 25 29, E 08003 Barcelona, Spain
Eur J Pharmacol 657:89-96. 2011..mechanical thresholds and healing of the wound, one of the following drugs was administered subcutaneously: (-)-naloxone (1mg/kg), (+)-naloxone (1mg/kg), naloxone-methiodide (3mg/kg), or nor-binaltorphimine (5mg/kg)...
- Naloxone inhibits not only stress-induced analgesia but also sympathetic activation and baroreceptor-reflex sensitivityM Fechir
Department of Neurology, University Medical Center of the Johannes Gutenberg University Mainz, Langenbeckstrasse 1, D 55101, Mainz, Germany
Eur J Pain 16:82-92. 2012..b>Naloxone or placebo was applied while electrical pain stimulation was started and electrical current increased...
- Effects of the cannabinoid receptor antagonist SR 141716, alone and in combination with dexfenfluramine or naloxone, on food intake in ratsN E Rowland
Department of Psychology, PO Box 112250, University of Florida, Gainesville FL 32611 2250, USA
Psychopharmacology (Berl) 159:111-6. 2001....
- Effects of acute low-dose combined treatment with naloxone and AM 251 on food intake, feeding behaviour and weight gain in ratsA J Tallett
Behavioural Neuroscience Laboratory, Institute of Psychological Sciences, University of Leeds, Leeds LS2 9JT, UK
Pharmacol Biochem Behav 91:358-66. 2009Low-dose combinations of naloxone and rimonabant produce additive effects on food intake and feeding behaviour, yet abolish the scratching syndrome typically induced by rimonabant per se...
- Role of beta-endorphin in cancer therapy induced fatigueDavid E Fisher; Fiscal Year: 2013..the locomotor/fatigue changes were rapidly and fully reversed by treatment with the 5-opiate receptor antagonist naloxone. A role for 2-endorphin in human radiation fatigue would be particularly important because drugs which modulate ..
- MODULATION OF ALCOHOL REINFORCEMENTChristopher L Cunningham; Fiscal Year: 2012..g., prior expression of place preference, pretreatment with the opioid antagonist naloxone, exposure to non-extinguished conditioned stimuli)...
- STRESS-INDUCED ACTIVATION OF COLONIC MOTOR FUNCTIONYVETTE FRANCE TACHE; Fiscal Year: 2013..to identify chemical coding of activated neurons, and delineate the receptor subtypes and ligand mediating the naloxone-dependent component SIVA in female rats...
- Characterization of Toxicity with Spinal OpiatesTony L Yaksh; Fiscal Year: 2010..morphine-evoked-granuloma of SQ infusions of agents that block MC degranulation and opiate receptor activation (naloxone). Hypothesis 2...
- Targeted Plasma Peptidomics: Endogenous Mu-Opioid Receptor PeptidesBrian Reed; Fiscal Year: 2013..of the endogenous opioid peptide ligand levels as well as reponsivity to the mu-opioid receptor antagonist naloxone. These studies form the basis of the R21 portion of this study, designed to A - evaluate and extend the potential ..
- Treatment Study Using Depot Naltrexone(1/6)Philadelphia Coord/Data Mgmt SiteCHARLES P O'BRIEN; Fiscal Year: 2013..After determining that all volunteers are opiate free by urine test and not currently opiate dependent using a naloxone test, they will be randomized to depot naltrexone or Treatment as Usual (TAU)...
- Genetic Basis of Opioid Reward and Aversion in MiceCamron D Bryant; Fiscal Year: 2013..commonly abused prescription opioid agonist oxycodone (OXY) and the aversive response to the opioid antagonist naloxone (NAL)...
- Genetic Basis of Opioid Reward and Aversion in MiceCamron D Bryant; Fiscal Year: 2012..commonly abused prescription opioid agonist oxycodone (OXY) and the aversive response to the opioid antagonist naloxone (NAL)...
- Monoacylglycerol Lipase Inhibitors for Treating Opioid Use DisordersAron H Lichtman; Fiscal Year: 2013..THC), the primary psychoactive constituent in Cannabis sativa, has long been known to reduce naloxone- precipitated withdrawal symptoms in opioid-dependent animals...
- Regulation of opioid receptor function in trigeminal ganglionWilliam P Clarke; Fiscal Year: 2012..the persistence of competence after induction, by administration of bradykinin (BK), arachidonic acid (AA) and naloxone. 2) To determine the changes in the MOR and DOR systems which underlie the development of functional competence ..
- Treatment Study Using Depot Naltrexone(2/6)Rhode Island Protocol Treatment SitePeter D Friedmann; Fiscal Year: 2012..After determining that all volunteers are opiate free by urine test and not currently opiate dependent using a naloxone test, they will be randomized to depot naltrexone or Treatment as Usual (TAU)...
- Mu-Opioid Effects on the Central Mechanisms that Control BreathingEdward J Zuperku; Fiscal Year: 2013..b>Naloxone (NAL;opioid antagonist) microinjections during IV remi will be used to determine if the same 5ORs produce ..
- Treatment Study Using Depot Naltrexone(3/6)NY/Bellevue Protocol Treatment SiteJOSHUA D LEE; Fiscal Year: 2013..After determining that all volunteers are opiate free by urine test and not currently opiate dependent using a naloxone test, they will be randomized to depot naltrexone or Treatment as Usual (TAU)...
- Effects of dietary obesity on midbrain dopamine systemsEMMANUEL POTHOS; Fiscal Year: 2009..release with changes in behavior (locomotion, diet consumption, response to injections of the opiate antagonist naloxone)...
- Treatment Studies Using Depot Naltrexone (4/6) Columbia Protocol Treatment SiteEdward V Nunes; Fiscal Year: 2012
- Nociceptive Role of SST and NT receptor-expressing dorsal horn neuronsRONALD GORDON WILEY; Fiscal Year: 2013..SST receptors (sst2a) are expressed entirely on GABAergic inhibitory interneurons suggesting that SST produces naloxone-insensitive analgesia by exciting inhibitory interneurons that normally inhibit nociceptive projection neurons...
- Treatment Study Using Depot Naltrexone(5/6)Baltimore Protocol Treatment SiteTimothy W Kinlock; Fiscal Year: 2013
- Engineered Opioid Receptors as Therapeutic Agents for Pain ControlPing Yee Law; Fiscal Year: 2012..54 mutation so as to engineer a mutant MOR in which naloxone and naltrexone behave like full agonists;and (3) develop a double stranded adenoassociated virus (dsAAV) for the ..
- Naloxone prescription for Opioid Safety Evaluation (NOSE)Phillip O Coffin; Fiscal Year: 2013..historically high rates of opioid use and related morbidity and mortality, implemented city-wide distribution of naloxone (the short- acting opioid antagonist) in 2004, which has been associated with a substantial decline in heroin-..
- Licit &Illicit Opioids: Comparative Studies in HumansSharon L Walsh; Fiscal Year: 2013..studies, are emerging as new drugs of abuse, including tramadol, buprenorphine (Subutex(R)) and buprenorphine/naloxone (Suboxone(R))...
- Genome-wide protein-DNA interactions responding to chronic opioid treatmentYulong Chen; Fiscal Year: 2012..co-occupancy of CBP/p300 and NF-kB/p65 in the striatum of rats chronically exposed to morphine and after naloxone-precipitated withdrawal (Specific Aim 2)...
- Role of the Supraspinal Opioidergic Circuit in Prefrontal TMS-Induced AnalgesiaJOSEPH JEFFREY TAYLOR; Fiscal Year: 2013..Hypothesis: Left DLPFC rTMS will induce a naloxone-reversible increase in pain tolerance that correlates with a naloxone-reversible increase in PAG-RVM BOLD signal...
- Predictors of Opioid Analgesic Responses and Common Endogenous Opioid MechanismsJohn W Burns; Fiscal Year: 2013..controls across three sessions using a randomized, counterbalanced design: under placebo, opioid blockade (naloxone), and opioid agonist (morphine)...
- Police/Fire/EMTs Get the SKOOP: Online Skills &Training On Overdose PreventionJANIE ELIZABETH SIMMONS; Fiscal Year: 2012..A safe, cheap, easy to administer antidote exists - naloxone hydrochloride or Narcan. Naloxone restores respiration rates that have been depressed by the OD...
- Neurochemical Basis of Opiate AddictionHORACE LOH; Fiscal Year: 2013..the pathway involved in Src-mediated OPRM1-directed AC superactivation and linking AC superactivation to naloxone precipitated withdrawal signs...
- Endogenous Opioid System in Panic Disorder: 5-Dose Naloxone Procedure and SSRI TxSmit S Sinha; Fiscal Year: 2013..A powerful evaluation of endogenous opioid system activity is a single session administration of five doses of naloxone, an opioid receptor antagonist, and measurement of the hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal (HPA) axis response...
- Overdose Risk Assessment, Counseling and Naloxone Prescription in Health CareIngrid A Binswanger; Fiscal Year: 2013..b>Naloxone is an effective, Food and Drug Administration approved opioid antidote usually administered by first responders ..
- Buprenorphine to Improve HIV Care Engagement and Outcomes: A Randomized TrialPHILIP TODD KORTHUIS; Fiscal Year: 2013..several key institutions in Vietnam to propose a multi-site, randomized trial of HIV clinic- based buprenorphine/naloxone (BUP/NX) (n=225) versus referral to methadone maintenance treatment (MMT) (n=225) for treatment of opioid ..
- The Pharmacology of Spinal AnalgesicsTony L Yaksh; Fiscal Year: 2013..g. naloxone), wherein the respective enzyme inhibitor is co-infused with opiate agonist...
- Pioglitazone for the Treatment of Opioid and of Nicotine DependenceSandra D Comer; Fiscal Year: 2013..Pioglitazone will be tested in combination with buprenorphine/naloxone (Study 1) and with the nicotine patch (Study 2)...
- Impact of overdose prevention education and intranasal naloxone on fatal and non-ALEXANDER YALE WALLEY; Fiscal Year: 2010..Project Summary/ Abstract Proposed Objective: As an evaluation of a state-sponsored overdose education and naloxone distribution (OEND) program, this research proposal, the INPEDE OD - Intranasal Naloxone and Prevention EDucation&..
- Naloxone Nasal Spray DevelopmentDANIEL PAUL WERMELING; Fiscal Year: 2013..Some communities prescribe/provide naloxone (NLX) injection, for injection or nasal administration, to high-risk pai patients or drug abusers...
- Examination of the Functional Consequences of HIV-1 Tat on Motivated BehaviorLaurence L Miller; Fiscal Year: 2013..that Tat-induced neurotoxicity and behavioral impairment can be blocked by treatment with the TLR4 antagonist (+)naloxone. Together, the aims of this proposal are designed to clarify the functional consequences and mechanisms of Tat-..
- Role of AMPA receptors in the nucleus accumbens shell in morphine depedenceElena Chartoff; Fiscal Year: 2009..In morphine-dependent rats, the opiate antagonist naloxone elicits withdrawal signs (Schulteis et al., 1994;Chartoff et al...
- Enhanced treatment management of opioid-dependence in an office-based settingMichael Sean Davis; Fiscal Year: 2012..components - a specialized drug dispensing device (DDD) pre-loaded with a generic formulation of buprenorphine/naloxone that controls access to medications via limited-use pass codes, a web/phone (IVR) patient portal patients use to ..
- NEUROTRANSMITTERS AND VENTILATORY CONTROLEARL OLSON; Fiscal Year: 1990..p.) or endogenous opiates (naloxone, i.p.) during exposure to up to 7 days hypoxia with or without hypocania...
- Opioid Antagonist Discrimination: A Model of WithdrawalAlison Oliveto; Fiscal Year: 2011This competitive renewal is a series of 4 studies using the naloxone (NX) novel-response discrimination procedure in opioid-dependent humans that build upon our demonstration that this procedure can be used successfully as a model of ..
- Quality of life outcomes in prescription and injection opioid dependenceBruce R Schackman; Fiscal Year: 2013..of life data in opioid dependence because of the availability of new pharmaceutical treatments (buprenorphine-naloxone and injection naltrexone)...
- Improving Buprenorphine Detoxification Outcomes with IsradipineAlison Oliveto; Fiscal Year: 2013..effective of several CCBs tested and was more effective than the alpha2-adrenergic agonist clonidine in blocking naloxone-induced behavioral effects without producing self-reported effects associated with high potential for abuse...
- Predicting Post-Operative Pain and Analgesic Use: The Role of Endogenous OpioidsCLAUDIA MICHELLE CAMPBELL; Fiscal Year: 2013..plan will systematically address the utility of a direct pre-surgical test of endogenous opioid function via naloxone challenge in predicting pain and opioid analgesic use following total knee arthroplasty (TKA) in patients with ..
- Delaware Valley Node of the Clinical Trials NetworkGEORGE EDWARD WOODY; Fiscal Year: 2013..by our participation in 5 trials during the last period of funding including a study of extended buprenorphine- naloxone treatment for opioid addicted youth (#0010) that was developed and led by our Node, published in JAMA along with ..
- Linkage of Hospitalized Opioid Users to BuprenorphineMichael D Stein; Fiscal Year: 2013..block or attenuate the euphoric effects of opioids has recently been enhanced with the adoption of buprenorphine/naloxone (hereafter, buprenorphine) in primary care office-based medical practices...
- A Pilot Implementation Project of Methadone and Suboxone for Injecting Drug UsersCHARLES P O'BRIEN; Fiscal Year: 2013..dependent individuals, methadone maintenance has limited availability and there are currently no buprenorphine/naloxone (Suboxone) treatment programs in Vietnam...
- Prescription Opioid Effects in Drug and Non-drug AbusersSandra D Comer; Fiscal Year: 2013..of oral oxycodone and morphine in 4 groups of participants who will be maintained on sublingual buprenorphine/naloxone: heroin abusers who are not in pain, prescription opioid abusers who are not in pain, patients with chronic pain ..
- A Trial to Prevent Opioid Overdose: E.D. Based Intervention &Take-home NaloxoneCaleb Banta-Green; Fiscal Year: 2013..indicates that drug users and their partners can be successfully trained to recognize and reverse overdoses with naloxone. Despite active heroin overdose prevention and intervention programs with naloxone (OOPIN) in 15 states with ..
- Discovery of new allosteric modulators that convert antagonists to agonistsHORACE LOH; Fiscal Year: 2013..transmembrane domain of mu-opioid receptor (OPRM1) results in the ability of opiate alkaloid antagonists such as naloxone and naltrexone to activate the receptor, without altering ligand afinity or agonist activity...
- HIV and addictions among criminal justice-involved populations.Josiah D Rich; Fiscal Year: 2013..after release;3) HIV testing and linkage to treatment during probation/parole;and 4) training and provision of naloxone upon release from incarceration to prevent fatal overdose...
- Online Training on Opioid Overdose Prevention, Recognition, and ResponseJANIE ELIZABETH SIMMONS; Fiscal Year: 2011..A safe, cheap, easy to administer antidote exists- naloxone hydrochloride or Narcan"...
- Prisoner Overdose Training and Naloxone Upon ReleaseJosiah D Rich; Fiscal Year: 2012..Specific aims are to: 1) create an overdose prevention and naloxone administration training Digital Video Disc (DVD) for use with prisoners prior to their release from incarceration;..
- Identifying Virtual Reality Analgesia Mechanisms by Pharmacologic ManipulationSam R Sharar; Fiscal Year: 2013..to which subjective analgesic effects of VR analgesia are inhibited (or not) by opioid receptor antagonism with naloxone;(2) To determine the comparative and additive effects of immersive VR and N-methyl-D-aspartate (NMDA) antagonism ..
- NMDA Receptor-Mediated Plasticity in Extinction of Conditioned Opiate WithdrawalKaryn M Myers; Fiscal Year: 2012..aims to begin a systematic examination of the mechanisms of extinction of conditioned opiate withdrawal using naloxone-induced conditioned place aversion (CPA) in morphine-dependent rats as a model system...
- Role of endogenous opioid peptides in opioid addictionLEON TSENG; Fiscal Year: 2005..The fmding that opioid antagonist naloxone produces place aversion indicates that the endogenous opioid systems are tonically active in modulating the place ..
- GENDER AND SEX HORMONES AND OPIOID ANALGESIAJon Levine; Fiscal Year: 2006..the greater analgesic potency in females for k- partial agonists may be at least partly due to the existence of a naloxone-sensitive anti-analgesia mechanism that predominates in males...
- Evaluation of Overdose Prevention Programs for Injection Drug UsersStephen E Lankenau; Fiscal Year: 2010..A heroin overdose can be safely reversed with the administration of naloxone (brand name Narcan) - a legal, nonscheduled opioid antagonist...
- Southern Asia HIV/AIDS Clinical Trials UnitDavid D Celentano; Fiscal Year: 2013..This is a Phase III IND clinical trial of the efficacy of opioid substitution therapy with buprenorphine/naloxone for prevention of HIV infection.
- Hippocampus and Relapse Associated with Drug AddictionRAYMOND PIERRE KESNER; Fiscal Year: 2013..target for managing relapse in that it will determine whether systemic administration or local infusion of naloxone into the CA3 region disrupts cue-induced relapse for cocaine...
- Predictors of Relapse to Prescription Opioid Abuse Among Pain PatientsMaria A Sullivan; Fiscal Year: 2010..the presence of clinical pain and following significant pain relief following maintenance on the buprenorphine / naloxone combination (Bup/NX)...
- CENTER FOR THE STUDY OF EMOTION AND ATTENTIONPeter Lang; Fiscal Year: 2009..The effects of morphine infused into the Me were completely reversed by co-infusion of naloxone into the Me...
- PAIN AND BETA-ENDORPHIN RESPONSES IN MEN AND WOMENDavid Sheps; Fiscal Year: 2001..by adenosine will be attenuated by beta-endorphin infusion in men, but not women, this effect will be reversed by naloxone; (3) Use of a cognitive strategy (imagery) will attenuate pain sensitivity, as indexed by tolerance and threshold ..
- OPIOID RECEPTOR SIGNAL TRANSDUCTION MECHANISMSKELLY STANDIFER; Fiscal Year: 2000..The kappa3 receptor agonist naloxone benzoylhydrazone (NalBzoH) is antagonized by nonselective opioid antagonists (Win44,441, diprenorphine, Mr2266), ..
- Psychobiology of IV Naloxone & Lactate in NormalsDonald Klein; Fiscal Year: 2005..Normal unresponsiveness to I.V. lactate may stem from an intact endogenous opioid system. When a naloxone infusion preceded intravenous lactate, a pilot study of twelve normal subjects demonstrated a sharp increase in ..
- Medications Development for Drug Abuse DisordersEric C Strain; Fiscal Year: 2013..to the project: an initial stabilization on morphine (to establish a common level of physical dependence, with a naloxone challenge during this phase with results from that challenge used as one stratification variable);a withdrawal ..
- REGULATION OF N ARGININE DIBASIC CONVERTASEEva Csuhai; Fiscal Year: 2000..They cause naloxone-sensitive analgesic effects mediated through opiate receptors...
- SIGMA LIGAND ELECTROPHYSIOLOGY IN RAT HIPPOCAMPAL SLICEChristine Eccles; Fiscal Year: 1991..delusions, hallucination, depersonalization and dysphoria which are not blocked by the mu/kappa opiate antagonist naloxone. Binding profiles of prototypical sigma drugs such as n-allylnormetazocine have shown that there is a population ..