Genomes and Genes
Summary: A pyrrolizidine alkaloid and a toxic plant constituent that poisons livestock and humans through the ingestion of contaminated grains and other foods. The alkaloid causes pulmonary artery hypertension, right ventricular hypertrophy, and pathological changes in the pulmonary vasculature. Significant attenuation of the cardiopulmonary changes are noted after oral magnesium treatment.
Publications259 found, 100 shown here
- Aberrant cytoplasmic sequestration of eNOS in endothelial cells after monocrotaline, hypoxia, and senescence: live-cell caveolar and cytoplasmic NO imagingSomshuvra Mukhopadhyay
Dept of Cell Biology and Anatomy, New York Medical College, Valhalla, NY 10595, USA
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 292:H1373-89. 2007..and SNAPs, and inhibition of anterograde trafficking in endothelial cells in culture and rat lung exposed to monocrotaline pyrrole (MCTP) as a prelude to the development of pulmonary hypertension...
- Dynamic changes in lung microRNA profiles during the development of pulmonary hypertension due to chronic hypoxia and monocrotalinePaola Caruso
Division of Cardiovascular and Medical Sciences, British Heart Foundation Glasgow Cardiovascular Research Centre, 126 University Ave, University of Glasgow, Glasgow, Scotland
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 30:716-23. 2010..Each miRNA is capable of potentially controlling hundreds of genes. The regulation of miRNAs in the lung during the development of pulmonary arterial hypertension (PAH) is unknown...
- Resveratrol prevents monocrotaline-induced pulmonary hypertension in ratsAnna Csiszar
Reynolds Oklahoma Center on Aging, Department of Geriatric Medicine, University of Oklahoma Health Science Center, Oklahoma City, OK 73104, USA
Hypertension 54:668-75. 2009..Rats injected with monocrotaline progressively developed pulmonary hypertension...
- Rescue of monocrotaline-induced pulmonary arterial hypertension using bone marrow-derived endothelial-like progenitor cells: efficacy of combined cell and eNOS gene therapy in established diseaseYidan D Zhao
Terrence Donnelly Vascular Biology Laboratories, St Michael s Hospital and the McLaughlin Center for Molecular Medicine, University of Toronto, Canada
Circ Res 96:442-50. 2005..regenerate blood vessels, would restore pulmonary hemodynamics and increase microvascular perfusion in the rat monocrotaline (MCT) model of PAH...
- Arrhythmogenic substrate in hearts of rats with monocrotaline-induced pulmonary hypertension and right ventricular hypertrophyDavid Benoist
Institute of Membrane and Systems Biology, Garstang Bldg, Univ of Leeds, Leeds LS29JT, UK
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 300:H2230-7. 2011..Rats were injected with monocrotaline (MCT; 60 mg/kg) to induce pulmonary artery hypertension or with saline (CON)...
- The effects of vasoactive intestinal peptide on monocrotaline induced pulmonary hypertensive rabbits following cardiopulmonary bypass: a comparative study with isoproteronol and nitroglycerineSerdar Gunaydin
Department of Pediatric Cardiac Surgery, Heart Institute of Japan, Tokyo Women s Medical University, Tokyo, Japan
Cardiovasc Surg 10:138-45. 2002..We studied in vivo effects in monocrotaline induced pulmonary hypertensive rabbits immediately after cardiopulmonary bypass (CPB) and tested them versus ..
- The monocrotaline model of pulmonary hypertension in perspectiveJose G Gomez-Arroyo
Victoria Johnson Center for Obstructive Lung Disease Research, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, 23298, USA
Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol 302:L363-9. 2012..Although the monocrotaline rat model of PAH has contributed to a better understanding of vascular remodeling in pulmonary hypertension, ..
- Nanoparticle-mediated delivery of nuclear factor kappaB decoy into lungs ameliorates monocrotaline-induced pulmonary arterial hypertensionSatoshi Kimura
Department of Surgery, Graduate School of Medical Science, Kyushu University, 3 1 1, Maidashi, Higashi ku, Fukuoka 812 8582, Japan
Hypertension 53:877-83. 2009..In a rat model of monocrotaline-induced PAH, single intratracheal instillation of polymeric nanoparticles (NPs) resulted in delivery of NPs ..
- Tadalafil, a long-acting inhibitor of PDE5, improves pulmonary hemodynamics and survival rate of monocrotaline-induced pulmonary artery hypertension in ratsFusae Sawamura
Lilly Research Laboratories Japan, Eli Lilly Japan K K, Japan
J Pharmacol Sci 111:235-43. 2009..of pulmonary arterial hypertension (PAH) in early treatment and on the survival rate in late treatment on the monocrotaline (MCT)-induced PAH rat model...
- Apelin decreases myocardial injury and improves right ventricular function in monocrotaline-induced pulmonary hypertensionInes Falcao-Pires
Department of Physiology, Cardiovascular R and D Unit, Faculty of Medicine, University of Porto, 4200 319 Porto, Portugal
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 296:H2007-14. 2009..the endogenous production of apelin and the cardiac and pulmonary effects of its chronic administration in monocrotaline (MCT)-induced pulmonary hypertension (PH)...
- Role of the TGF-beta/Alk5 signaling pathway in monocrotaline-induced pulmonary hypertensionAri L Zaiman
Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, 1830 East Monument Street, 5th Floor, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 177:896-905. 2008..However, the role of TGF-beta family signaling in PH and pulmonary vascular remodeling remains unclear...
- Fluoxetine protects against monocrotaline-induced pulmonary arterial hypertension: potential roles of induction of apoptosis and upregulation of Kv1.5 channels in ratsFeng Guo Zhai
Department of Clinical Pharmacology, China Medical University, Shenyang, China
Clin Exp Pharmacol Physiol 36:850-6. 2009..5 channels and apoptosis in the protective effect of the SSRI fluoxetine against PAH. 2. Monocrotaline (MCT) was used to establish PAH in Wistar rats...
- Nitrite potently inhibits hypoxic and inflammatory pulmonary arterial hypertension and smooth muscle proliferation via xanthine oxidoreductase-dependent nitric oxide generationBrian S Zuckerbraun
Department of Surgery, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
Circulation 121:98-109. 2010..Considering the fact that nitric oxide exhibits vasoprotective properties, we examined the effects of nitrite on experimental pulmonary arterial hypertension...
- Fasudil reduces monocrotaline-induced pulmonary arterial hypertension: comparison with bosentan and sildenafilK T B Mouchaers
Dept of Pulmonary Diseases, Vrije Universiteit Medical Center, P O Box 7057, 1007 MB, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Eur Respir J 36:800-7. 2010..phosphodiesterase 5 inhibitor), with emphasis on right ventricular (RV) function, in a reversal rat model of monocrotaline (MCT)-induced PAH. In addition, the effects of combining bosentan or sildenafil with fasudil were studied...
- Dysregulated bone morphogenetic protein signaling in monocrotaline-induced pulmonary arterial hypertensionRory E Morty
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Giessen Lung Center, Justus Liebig University, Aulweg 123 Raum 6 11, D 35392 Giessen, Germany
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 27:1072-8. 2007..The aim of this study was to assess BMP signaling and its physiological effects in a monocrotaline (MCT) model of PAH.
- Serotonin transporter inhibition prevents and reverses monocrotaline-induced pulmonary hypertension in ratsChristophe Guignabert
Departement de Physiologie, INSERM U492, AP HP, CHU Henri Mondor, Creteil, France
Circulation 111:2812-9. 2005..investigated whether the highly selective 5-HTT inhibitor fluoxetine prevented and/or reversed PH induced by monocrotaline (MCT) in rats...
- Fluoxetine inhibited extracellular matrix of pulmonary artery and inflammation of lungs in monocrotaline-treated ratsXue Qin Li
Department of Clinical Pharmacology, College of Pharmacy, China Medical University, Shenyang, China
Acta Pharmacol Sin 32:217-22. 2011..of the selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI) fluoxetine on extracellular matrix (ECM) remodeling of the pulmonary artery and inflammation of the lungs in pulmonary arterial hypertension (PAH) induced by monocrotaline in rats.
- Thymulin inhibits monocrotaline-induced pulmonary hypertension modulating interleukin-6 expression and suppressing p38 pathwayTiago Henriques-Coelho
Department of Physiology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Porto, Porto, Portugal
Endocrinology 149:4367-73. 2008..We investigated morphological and hemodynamic effects of thymulin administration in a rat model of monocrotaline (MCT)-induced PH, as well as the pattern of proinflammatory cytokine gene expression and the intracellular ..
- The protective effects of cerium oxide nanoparticles against hepatic oxidative damage induced by monocrotalineKamal A Amin
Department of Biochemistry, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Beni Suef University, Beni Suef, Egypt
Int J Nanomedicine 6:143-9. 2011The objective of the present study was to determine the ability of cerium oxide (CeO(2)) nanoparticles to protect against monocrotaline (MCT)-induced hepatotoxicity in a rat model.
- L-arginine restores endothelial nitric oxide synthase-coupled activity and attenuates monocrotaline-induced pulmonary artery hypertension in ratsZhi Jun Ou
Division of Hypertension and Vascular Diseases, First Affiliated Hospital, Sun Yat Sen University, Guangzhou, China
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 298:E1131-9. 2010..Sprague Dawley rats were treated with monocrotaline (MCT) with or without L-arginine for 3 or 5 wk...
- Effects of HIV protease inhibitors on progression of monocrotaline- and hypoxia-induced pulmonary hypertension in ratsGuillaume Gary-Bobo
INSERM U955 and Département de Physiologie Hôpital Henri Mondor, Creteil, France
Circulation 122:1937-47. 2010..is a potential molecular target of HIV protease inhibitors (HPIs), we hypothesized that these drugs altered monocrotaline- and hypoxia-induced PH in rats by downregulating the Akt pathway, thereby inhibiting pulmonary artery smooth ..
- Resveratrol reverses monocrotaline-induced pulmonary vascular and cardiac dysfunction: a potential role for atrogin-1 in smooth muscleMichael L Paffett
College of Pharmacy, Division of Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of New Mexico Health Sciences Center, Albuquerque, NM 87131 0001, USA
Vascul Pharmacol 56:64-73. 2012..Therefore, we hypothesized that monocrotaline (MCT)-induced PH would attenuate atrophy pathways in the PA while, conversely, SIRT1 activation (resveratrol) ..
- Monocrotaline-induced pulmonary arterial hypertension is attenuated by TNF-α antagonists via the suppression of TNF-α expression and NF-κB pathway in ratsQiang Wang
Department of Rheumatology, The First Affiliated Hospital of Nanjing Medical University, Nanjing, Jiangsu, People s Republic of China
Vascul Pharmacol 58:71-7. 2013..of a TNF-α antagonist, recombinant TNF-α receptor II:IgG Fc fusion protein (rhTNFRFc), on the development of monocrotaline (MCT)-induced PAH in rats...
- Cardiac-specific genetic inhibition of nuclear factor-κB prevents right ventricular hypertrophy induced by monocrotalineSandeep Kumar
Division of Molecular Cardiology, Department of Medicine, College of Medicine, Texas A and M Health Science Center, Scott and White Hospital, Central Texas Veterans Health Care System, Temple, Texas 76504, USA
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 302:H1655-66. 2012..Eur Respir J 22: 358-363, 2003)...
- The role of Kupffer cells and TNF-alpha in monocrotaline and bacterial lipopolysaccharide-induced liver injurySteven B Yee
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, National Food Safety and Toxicology Center and Institute for Environmental Toxicology, Michigan State University, East Lansing, Michigan 48824, USA
Toxicol Sci 71:124-32. 2003Coexposure to small, noninjurious doses of the pyrrolizidine alkaloid phytotoxin monocrotaline (MCT) and bacterial lipopolysaccharide (LPS) results in synergistic hepatotoxicity...
- Assessment of neurotoxicity of monocrotaline, an alkaloid extracted from Crotalaria retusa in astrocyte/neuron co-culture systemBruno P S Pitanga
Laboratório de Neuroquímica e Biologia Celular, Departamento de Biofunção Bioquímica, Instituto de Ciências da Saúde, Universidade Federal da Bahia, Av Reitor Miguel Calmon s n, Salvador, BA, 40 110 902, Brazil
Neurotoxicology 32:776-84. 2011..central nervous system (CNS), which has been attributed to toxic effects of the pyrrolizidine alkaloid (PA) monocrotaline (MCT)...
- Dehydromonocrotaline inhibits mitochondrial complex I. A potential mechanism accounting for hepatotoxicity of monocrotalineFábio E Mingatto
Laboratorio de Bioquimica, Faculdade de Zootecnia, Universidade Estadual Paulista Julio de Mesquita Filho, Campus de Dracena, 17900 000 Dracena, SP, Brazil
Toxicon 50:724-30. 2007b>Monocrotaline is a pyrrolizidine alkaloid present in plants of the Crotalaria species, which causes cytotoxicity and genotoxicity, including hepatotoxicity in animals and humans...
- Dexamethasone reverses monocrotaline-induced pulmonary arterial hypertension in ratsL C Price
Faculte de Medecine, Universite Paris Sud, Paris, Service de Pneumologie et Reanimation Respiratoire, Hopital Antoine Beclere, Clamart, France
Eur Respir J 37:813-22. 2011..We evaluated the effects of dexamethasone on monocrotaline (MCT)-induced PAH in rats for potential reversal of PAH at late time-points...
- Effects of telmisartan on right ventricular remodeling induced by monocrotaline in ratsMuneyoshi Okada
Laboratory of Veterinary Pharmacology, School of Veterinary Medicine, Kitasato University, Towada, Aomori, Japan
J Pharmacol Sci 111:193-200. 2009..whether telmisartan, an angiotensin II type 1 receptor antagonist, has cardioprotective effects on monocrotaline-induced right ventricular (RV) remodeling in rats...
- Acute intoxication by Crotalaria retusa in sheepV M T Nobre
Departamento de Clínicas Veterinária, Universidade Federal de Campina Grande, 58700 000 Patos, Paraiba, Brazil
Toxicon 45:347-52. 2005..The seeds used in the experiment contained 1.4% of monocrotaline. It is concluded that hungry sheep can be affected spontaneously by acute monocrotaline intoxication when they ..
- Genotoxicity and morphological changes induced by the alkaloid monocrotaline, extracted from Crotalaria retusa, in a model of glial cellsJ P Silva-Neto
Laboratório de Neuroquímica e Biologia Celular, Instituto de Ciências da Saúde, Departamento de Biofunção Bioquímica, Salvador, BA 40 110 100, Brazil
Toxicon 55:105-17. 2010Plants of Crotalaria genus (Leguminosae) present large amounts of the pyrrolizidine alkaloid monocrotaline (MCT) and cause intoxication to animals and humans...
- Nicorandil attenuates monocrotaline-induced vascular endothelial damage and pulmonary arterial hypertensionMakoto Sahara
Department of Cardiovascular Medicine, University of Tokyo Graduate School of Medicine, Tokyo, Japan
PLoS ONE 7:e33367. 2012..Therefore, we attempted to determine whether nicorandil can attenuate monocrotaline (MCT)-induced PAH in rats.
- Prevention of pulmonary hypertension by Angiotensin-converting enzyme 2 gene transferYoriko Yamazato
Department of Physiology and Functional Genomics, College of Medicine, University of Florida, PO Box 100274, Gainesville, FL 32610 0274, USA
Hypertension 54:365-71. 2009..b>Monocrotaline (MCT) treatment of mice for 8 weeks resulted in significant increases in right ventricular systolic pressure, ..
- Pulmonary hypertension is ameliorated in mice deficient in thrombin-activatable fibrinolysis inhibitorL Qin
Department of Immunology, Mie University School of Medicine, Edobashi 2 174, Tsu City, Mie 514 8507, Japan
J Thromb Haemost 8:808-16. 2010..Thrombin-activatable fibrinolysis inhibitor (TAFI) inhibits fibrinolysis and therefore its absence would be expected to increase fibrinolysis and ameliorate PH...
- Development of occlusive neointimal lesions in distal pulmonary arteries of endothelin B receptor-deficient rats: a new model of severe pulmonary arterial hypertensionD Dunbar Ivy
Section of Pediatric Cardiology, University of Colorado School of Medicine and Children s Hospital, Denver 80218, USA
Circulation 111:2988-96. 2005..Herein, we determined and thereafter showed that exposure of ET(B) receptor-deficient rats to the endothelial toxin monocrotaline (MCT) leads to the development of neointimal lesions that share hallmarks of human PAH.
- Antioxidant treatment attenuates pulmonary arterial hypertension-induced heart failureEveraldo M Redout
Institute for Cardiovascular Research, VU Univ Medical Center Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 298:H1038-47. 2010..Using the rat monocrotaline (MCT) model of pulmonary arterial hypertension (PAH), we recently reported oxidative stress in the failing ..
- Gene transfer of extracellular superoxide dismutase ameliorates pulmonary hypertension in ratsFumihiko Kamezaki
Second Department of Internal Medicine, School of Medicine, University of Occupational and Environmental Health, 1 1 Iseigaoka, Yahatanishi ku 807 8555, Kitakyushu, Japan
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 177:219-26. 2008..Pulmonary hypertension (PH) is a life-threatening disease, characterized by vascular remodeling and vasoconstriction. Evidence suggests that oxidative stress may contribute to the pathogenesis and/or development of PH...
- Monocrotaline pyrrole-induced endothelial cell megalocytosis involves a Golgi blockade mechanismMehul Shah
Dept of Cell Biology and Anatomy, New York Medical College, 201 Basic Sciences Bldg, Valhalla, NY 10595, USA
Am J Physiol Cell Physiol 288:C850-62. 2005..In the present study, we recapitulated monocrotaline pyrrole (MCTP)-induced megalocytosis in cultures of bovine pulmonary arterial endothelial cells (PAEC), human ..
- Effects of monocrotaline on endothelial nitric oxide synthase expression and sulfhydryl levels in rat lungsRajamma Mathew
Department of Pediatrics, New York Medical College, Valhalla, NY 10595, USA
Heart Dis 4:152-8. 2002..b>Monocrotaline-induced pulmonary hypertension is associated with low bioavailability of nitric oxide...
- Monocrotaline pyrrole-induced megalocytosis of lung and breast epithelial cells: Disruption of plasma membrane and Golgi dynamics and an enhanced unfolded protein responseSomshuvra Mukhopadhyay
Department of Cell Biology and Anatomy, New York Medical College, Valhalla, NY 10595, USA
Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 211:209-20. 2006The pyrrolizidine alkaloid monocrotaline (MCT) initiates pulmonary hypertension by inducing a "megalocytosis" phenotype in target pulmonary arterial endothelial, smooth muscle and Type II alveolar epithelial cells...
- Altered bone morphogenetic protein and transforming growth factor-beta signaling in rat models of pulmonary hypertension: potential for activin receptor-like kinase-5 inhibition in prevention and progression of diseaseLu Long
Division of Respiratory Medicine, Department of Medicine, Box 157, Addenbrooke s Hospital, Hills Rd, Cambridge CB2 2QQ, United Kingdom
Circulation 119:566-76. 2009..It remains unclear whether alterations in these pathways contribute to other forms of pulmonary hypertension and to what extent these changes can be exploited for therapeutic intervention...
- Involvement of mast cells in monocrotaline-induced pulmonary hypertension in ratsBhola K Dahal
University of Giessen Lung Centre, Giessen, Germany
Respir Res 12:60. 2011....
- Sequence of echocardiographic changes during development of right ventricular failure in ratMaxim Hardziyenka
Department of Clinical and Experimental Cardiology, Academic Medical Center, University of Amsterdam, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
J Am Soc Echocardiogr 19:1272-9. 2006The temporal relations between the onset of echocardiographic changes and clinical diagnosis of right ventricular (RV) failure are unresolved. We have characterized such relations in a rat monocrotaline (MCT) model of RV failure.
- Impaired vasoconstriction and nitric oxide-mediated relaxation in pulmonary arteries of hypoxia- and monocrotaline-induced pulmonary hypertensive ratsVirak Mam
Division of Vascular Surgery, Harvard Medical School, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Boston, MA 02115, USA
J Pharmacol Exp Ther 332:455-62. 2010..Male Sprague-Dawley rats were exposed to hypoxia (9% O(2)) for 2 weeks or injected with single dose of monocrotaline (MCT, 60 mg/kg s.c.). Control rats were normoxic or injected with saline...
- Short-term administration of a cell-permeable caveolin-1 peptide prevents the development of monocrotaline-induced pulmonary hypertension and right ventricular hypertrophyJean Francois Jasmin
Department of Cancer Biology, Kimmel Cancer Center, Thomas Jefferson University, Philadelphia, PA 19107, USA
Circulation 114:912-20. 2006..Therefore, we investigated the effect of in vivo administration of a Cav-1 mimetic peptide on the development of monocrotaline (MCT)-induced PH.
- Effects of nicorandil on monocrotaline-induced pulmonary arterial hypertension in ratsMinoru Hongo
Department of Cardiovascular Medicine, Shinshu University School of Health Sciences, Matsumoto, Japan
J Cardiovasc Pharmacol 46:452-8. 2005We investigated whether nicorandil might prevent and reverse monocrotaline (MCT)-induced pulmonary arterial hypertension. Rats were injected with 50 mg/kg of MCT subcutaneously and randomized to either 7...
- Intratracheal mesenchymal stem cell administration attenuates monocrotaline-induced pulmonary hypertension and endothelial dysfunctionSyed R Baber
Department of Pharmacology SL83, Tulane University Health Sciences Center, 1430 Tulane Ave, New Orleans, LA 70112, USA
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 292:H1120-8. 2007..However, the effect of intratracheally administered MSCs on the pulmonary vascular bed in monocrotaline-treated rats has not been determined...
- Interleukin-1 receptor antagonist treatment reduces pulmonary hypertension generated in rats by monocrotalineN F Voelkel
Department of Medicine, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Denver 80262
Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol 11:664-75. 1994..We demonstrated recently in the monocrotaline (MCT) and chronic hypoxia rat models of pulmonary hypertension that treatment with platelet-activating factor (..
- Transplantation of endothelial progenitor cells into the lung to alleviate pulmonary hypertension in dogsMitsuru Takahashi
First Department of Surgery, Tokyo Medical University, Tokyo, Japan
Tissue Eng 10:771-9. 2004..These results indicate that EPC transplantation into the lung is effective at preventing the progression of dehydromonocrotaline-induced PH in dogs, and suggest a new therapeutic option for PPH...
- Autologous transplantation of bone marrow-derived endothelial progenitor cells attenuates monocrotaline-induced pulmonary arterial hypertension in ratsHon Kan Yip
Division of Cardiology, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital Kaohsiung Medical Center, Chang Gung University College of Medicine, Kaohsiung, Taiwan, ROC
Crit Care Med 36:873-80. 2008..This study investigated whether bone marrow-derived endothelial progenitor cell therapy ameliorates monocrotaline (MCT)-induced pulmonary arterial hypertension in a rat model.
- Diverse contribution of bone marrow-derived cells to vascular remodeling associated with pulmonary arterial hypertension and arterial neointimal formationMakoto Sahara
Department of Cardiovascular Medicine, University of Tokyo Graduate School of Medicine, 7 3 1 Hongo, Bunkyo ku, Tokyo 113 8655, Japan
Circulation 115:509-17. 2007..However, it remains uncertain whether BM-derived cells also can participate in vascular remodeling associated with pulmonary arterial hypertension...
- Inflammation, endothelial injury, and persistent pulmonary hypertension in heterozygous BMPR2-mutant miceYanli Song
Cardiovascular Division, Dept of Medicine, Brigham and Women s Hosiptal and Harvard Medical School, 77 Ave Louis Pasteur, NRB 630, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 295:H677-90. 2008..the effect of pulmonary endothelial injury in BMPR2(+/-) mice, we challenged the mice with two injections of monocrotaline combined with intratracheal instillation of replication-deficient adenovirus expressing 5-lipoxygenase (MCT+..
- Statin therapy, alone or with rapamycin, does not reverse monocrotaline pulmonary arterial hypertension: the rapamcyin-atorvastatin-simvastatin studyM Sean McMurtry
Vascular Biology Group, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Ontario, Canada
Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol 293:L933-40. 2007..Prior studies in the rat monocrotaline-PAH model have indicated that simvastatin regresses and rapamycin prevents, but cannot reverse, PAH...
- Heme oxygenase-1 mediates the protective effects of rapamycin in monocrotaline-induced pulmonary hypertensionHailan Zhou
Department of Pediatrics, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL 32610 0296, USA
Lab Invest 86:62-71. 2006..we evaluated whether HO-1 is required for the vascular protective effects of rapamycin in vivo using a rat monocrotaline-induced pulmonary hypertension model...
- Terguride ameliorates monocrotaline-induced pulmonary hypertension in ratsR Dumitrascu
University of Giessen Lung Center, Germany
Eur Respir J 37:1104-18. 2011..demonstrated in isolated, ventilated and perfused rat lungs and 2) by chronic terguride treatment of rats with monocrotaline (MCT)-induced pulmonary hypertension in a preventive or curative approach...
- Right ventricular hypertrophy causes impairment of left ventricular diastolic function in the ratRegis R Lamberts
Laboratory for Physiology, Institute for Cardiovascular Research VU University Medical Center Amsterdam, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Basic Res Cardiol 102:19-27. 2007..Therefore,LV function, RV function and their interaction were studied in rats with monocrotaline (MCT)-induced RV hypertrophy and control rats...
- Characterization of a murine model of monocrotaline pyrrole-induced acute lung injuryRio Dumitrascu
University of Giessen Lung Center, Giessen, Germany
BMC Pulm Med 8:25. 2008New animal models of chronic pulmonary hypertension in mice are needed. The injection of monocrotaline is an established model of pulmonary hypertension in rats...
- Decreased left ventricular function, myocarditis, and coronary arteriolar medial thickening following monocrotaline administration in adult ratsF Akhavein
Department of Pediatrics, McGill University and Division of Cardiology, Montreal Children s Hospital, McGill University Health Centre, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
J Appl Physiol 103:287-95. 2007..Numerous investigations have examined cardiac function following induction of pulmonary hypertension with monocrotaline (MCT) assuming that MCT has no direct cardiac effect...
- Implantation of mesenchymal stem cells overexpressing endothelial nitric oxide synthase improves right ventricular impairments caused by pulmonary hypertensionSachiko Kanki-Horimoto
Department of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, Osaka Medical College, Osaka, Japan
Circulation 114:I181-5. 2006..We evaluated the efficacy of MSCs/eNOS implantation in monocrotaline (MCT)-induced PH rats.
- Smurf1 ubiquitin ligase causes downregulation of BMP receptors and is induced in monocrotaline and hypoxia models of pulmonary arterial hypertensionKoko Murakami
The Center for Pulmonary Hypertension Translational Research, New York Medical College, Valhalla, NY 10595, USA
Exp Biol Med (Maywood) 235:805-13. 2010..The present study found that Smurf1 was significantly elevated in pulmonary arteries of monocrotaline and hypoxia-induced PAH rats...
- [Effects of peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor gamma ligands on monocrotaline-induced pulmonary hypertension in rats]Yasushi Matsuda
Department of Thoracic Surgery, Institute of Development, Aging and Cancer, Tohoku University
Nihon Kokyuki Gakkai Zasshi 43:283-8. 2005..Since monocrotaline (MCT)-induced pulmonary hypertension in rats is characterized by proliferation of pulmonary vascular smooth ..
- Time course and mechanisms of left ventricular systolic and diastolic dysfunction in monocrotaline-induced pulmonary hypertensionJorge Correia-Pinto
School of Health Sciences, Life and Health Sciences Research Institute ICVS, University of Minho, Braga, Portugal
Basic Res Cardiol 104:535-45. 2009..clarify underlying molecular changes, Wistar rats were studied 4 and 6 weeks after subcutaneous injection of monocrotaline (MCT) 60 mg/kg (MCT-4, n = 11; MCT-6, n = 11) or vehicle (Ctrl-4, n = 11; Ctrl-6, n = 11)...
- Hybrid cell-gene therapy for pulmonary hypertension based on phagocytosing action of endothelial progenitor cellsNoritoshi Nagaya
Department of Internal Medicine, National Cardiovascular Center, Osaka, Japan
Circulation 108:889-95. 2003..We investigated whether transplantation of vasodilator gene-transduced EPCs ameliorates monocrotaline (MCT)-induced pulmonary hypertension in rats.
- Rodent models of PAH: are we there yet?Natalie R Bauer
Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol 293:L580-2. 2007
- Allogenic stem cell therapy improves right ventricular function by improving lung pathology in rats with pulmonary hypertensionSoban Umar
Department of Cardiology, Leiden University Medical Center, Leiden, The Netherlands
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 297:H1606-16. 2009..We tested treatment with bone marrow-derived mesenchymal stem cells (MSCs) obtained from donor rats with monocrotaline (MCT)-induced PAH to recipient rats with MCT-induced PAH on pulmonary artery pressure, lung pathology, and RV ..
- 2-Methoxyestradiol mediates the protective effects of estradiol in monocrotaline-induced pulmonary hypertensionStevan P Tofovic
Center for Clinical Pharmacology, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, PA 15219, United States
Vascul Pharmacol 45:358-67. 2006When exposed to chronic hypoxia or toxin monocrotaline (MCT), female animals develop less severe pulmonary arterial hypertension (PH) compared to males; ovariectomy (OVX) exacerbates PH, and OVX animals treated with estradiol (E2) ..
- Inhaled tolafentrine reverses pulmonary vascular remodeling via inhibition of smooth muscle cell migrationSoni Pullamsetti
University of Giessen Lung Center, Medical Clinic II V, Giessen, Germany
Respir Res 6:128. 2005The aim of the study was to assess the chronic effects of combined phosphodiesterase 3/4 inhibitor tolafentrine, administered by inhalation, during monocrotaline-induced pulmonary arterial hypertension (PAH) in rats.
- Plexiform-like lesions and increased tissue factor expression in a rat model of severe pulmonary arterial hypertensionR James White
Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, Univ of Rochester, 601 Elmwood Ave, Box 692, Rochester, NY, USA
Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol 293:L583-90. 2007..To create a model with these characteristics, we gave young (200-g) rats monocrotaline 1 wk following left pneumonectomy; controls with vehicle treatment or sham operation were also studied...
- Enhanced store-operated Ca²+ entry and TRPC channel expression in pulmonary arteries of monocrotaline-induced pulmonary hypertensive ratsXiao Ru Liu
Department of Physiology and Pathophysiology, Fujian Medical University, Fuzhou, Fujian Province, People s Republic of China
Am J Physiol Cell Physiol 302:C77-87. 2012..Here we further examine the involvement of TRPC and SOCE in PH with a widely used rat model of monocrotaline (MCT)-induced PAH...
- Protective effects of hydrogen-rich saline on monocrotaline-induced pulmonary hypertension in a rat modelYun Wang
Artherosclerosis Research Institute of Taishan Medical University, Taian 271000, PR China
Respir Res 12:26. 2011..In this study, we investigated the effects of hydrogen-rich saline on the prevention of pulmonary hypertension induced by monocrotaline in a rat model.
- Upregulation of profilin, cofilin-2 and LIMK2 in cultured pulmonary artery smooth muscle cells and in pulmonary arteries of monocrotaline-treated ratsYan Ping Dai
Department of Pharmacology, Center of Biomedical Research Excellence, University of Nevada School of Medicine, Reno, NV 89557 0270, USA
Vascul Pharmacol 44:275-82. 2006..pulmonary artery SMCs (PASMCs) with inflammatory mediators in vitro, and by subcutaneous administration of monocrotaline to Sprague-Dawley rats in vivo...
- Activity of endothelium-derived hyperpolarizing factor is augmented in monocrotaline-induced pulmonary hypertension of rat lungsYoshiteru Morio
Department of Respiratory Medicine, Juntendo University School of Medicine, Tokyo, Japan
J Vasc Res 44:325-35. 2007..Thus, we tested if EDHF would regulate vascular tone in rat lungs of control and monocrotaline (MCT)-induced pulmonary hypertension...
- Temporal changes of angiopoietins and Tie2 expression in rat lungs after monocrotaline-induced pulmonary hypertensionYu Ji Cho
Department of Internal Medicine, Institute of Health Sciences, Gyeongsang National University School of Medicine, Jinju, Gyeongnam, Republic of Korea
Comp Med 59:350-6. 2009..as VEGF, endothelial nitric oxide synthase (eNOS), inducible NOS (iNOS), and heme oxygenase 1 (HO1) in the monocrotaline-induced PH model...
- KMUP-1 ameliorates monocrotaline-induced pulmonary arterial hypertension through the modulation of Ca2+ sensitization and K+-channelZen Kong Dai
Department of Pediatrics, Faculty of Medicine, College of Medicine, Kaohsiung Medical University, Division of Pediatric Pulmonology and Cardiology, Kaohsiung Medical University Hospital, Kaohsiung, Taiwan
Life Sci 86:747-55. 2010..This study investigates the actions of KMUP-1 on RhoA/Rho-kinase (ROCK)-dependent Ca(2+) sensitization and the K(+)-channel in chronic pulmonary arterial hypertension (PAH) rats...
- Effects of TNF-alpha blockade in monocrotaline-induced pulmonary hypertensionT Henriques-Coelho
Serviço de Fisiologia, Faculdade de Medicina da Universidade do Porto, Portugal
Rev Port Cardiol 27:341-8. 2008..The aim of this study was to assess the morphologic and hemodynamic effects of administration of an anti-TNF-alpha monoclonal antibody (etanercept) in rats with monocrotaline (MCT)-induced pulmonary hypertension.
- Monocrotaline pyrrole induces Smad nuclear accumulation and altered signaling expression in human pulmonary arterial endothelial cellsM Ramos
Department of Veterinary Medicine, Pathology, Immunology, Microbiology, University of California, Davis, Davis, California 95616, USA
Vascul Pharmacol 46:439-48. 2007The mechanistic relationship between the widely used monocrotaline model of primary pulmonary hypertension and altered TGFbeta family signaling due to genetic defects in the Bone Morphogenetic Protein type II receptor in affected humans ..
- Involvement of BMPR2 in the protective effect of fluoxetine against monocrotaline-induced endothelial apoptosis in ratsYun Wang
Department of Clinical Pharmacology, China Medical University, Heping District, Shenyang, PR China
Can J Physiol Pharmacol 89:345-54. 2011..study was designed to investigate the involvement of BMPR2 in the protective effect of fluoxetine against monocrotaline (MCT)-induced endothelial apoptosis in rats...
- Anti-TNF treatment reduces rat skeletal muscle wasting in monocrotaline-induced cardiac cachexiaBrian T Steffen
Department of Medical Pharmacology, Dalton Cardiovascular Institute, University of Missouri, Columbia, Missouri 65211, USA
J Appl Physiol (1985) 105:1950-8. 2008..Cardiac cachexia was rapidly induced with monocrotaline in Sprague-Dawley rats...
- Rosuvastatin attenuates monocrotaline-induced pulmonary hypertension via regulation of Akt/eNOS signaling and asymmetric dimethylarginine metabolismYingzi Pei
Department of Pharmacology, School of Pharmacy, Ningxia Medical University, PR China
Eur J Pharmacol 666:165-72. 2011This study was designed to investigate whether rosuvastatin could attenuate monocrotaline-induced pulmonary hypertension via regulation of Akt/eNOS signaling pathway and asymmetric dimethylarginine (ADMA) metabolism in rats...
- Endothelial cell injury and fibrin deposition in rat liver after monocrotaline exposureBryan L Copple
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, B 346 Life Sciences Building, Michigan State University, East Lansing, Michigan 48824, USA
Toxicol Sci 65:309-18. 2002b>Monocrotaline (MCT) is a pyrrolizidine alkaloid (PA) plant toxin that produces hepatotoxicity in people and animals. Human exposure to PAs occurs through consumption of contaminated grains and herbal remedies...
- Dietary fish oil protects against lung and liver inflammation and fibrosis in monocrotaline treated ratsRichard C Baybutt
Department of Human Nutrition, Kansas State University, Justin Hall, Manhattan, KS 66502 1407, USA
Toxicology 175:1-13. 2002..present study was to evaluate the effectiveness of fish oil in preventing tissue pathologies associated with monocrotaline (MCT) toxicity...
- All-trans retinoic acid in pulmonary vascular structural remodeling in rats with pulmonary hypertension induced by monocrotalineY Qin
Shanghai Institute for Pediatric Medical Research, Xinhua Hospital, Shanghai Second Medical University, Shanghai 200092, China
Chin Med J (Engl) 114:462-5. 2001..all-trans retinoic acid (atRA) exerts an inhibitory effect on rats with pulmonary hypertension induced by monocrotaline. METHODS: All rats were given a single subcutaneous injection of either monocrotaline (60 mg/kg) or saline...
- Platelet-mediated mesenchymal stem cells homing to the lung reduces monocrotaline-induced rat pulmonary hypertensionLei Jiang
Department of Pathology and Pathophysiology, School of Medicine, Zhejiang University, Hangzhou, China
Cell Transplant 21:1463-75. 2012..Therefore, the current study suggested that platelet-mediated MSC homing prevented the aggravation of MCT-induced rat PAH, via P-selectin and GPIIb/IIIa-mediated mechanisms...
- Skeletal muscle myosin heavy chain expression in rats with monocrotaline-induced cardiac hypertrophy and failure. Relation to blood flow and degree of muscle atrophyG Vescovo
First Division of Internal Medicine, Venice City Hospital, Italy
Cardiovasc Res 39:233-41. 1998..In congestive heart failure (CHF) the skeletal muscle of the lower limbs develops a myopathy characterised by atrophy and shift from the slow to the fast type fibres. The mechanisms responsible for these changes are not clear yet...
- Sorafenib attenuates monocrotaline-induced sinusoidal obstruction syndrome in rats through suppression of JNK and MMP-9Kojiro Nakamura
Department of Surgery, Graduate School of Medicine, Kyoto University, Kyoto, Japan
J Hepatol 57:1037-43. 2012..The aim of this study was to investigate the effects of sorafenib in a monocrotaline (MCT)-induced model of SOS in rats.
- Vascular remodeling in experimentally induced subacute canine pulmonary hypertensionR Gust
Department of Internal Medicine, Washington University School of Medicine, St. Louis, Missouri, USA
Exp Lung Res 27:1-12. 2001....
- Diaphragm weakness in pulmonary arterial hypertension: role of sarcomeric dysfunctionEmmy Manders
Department of Pulmonology, Institute for Cardiovascular Research, VU University Medical Center, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol 303:L1070-8. 2012..For this purpose, in control rats and rats with monocrotaline-induced PH, contractile performance and myosin heavy chain content of demembranated single diaphragm fibers ..
- [Monocrotaline induce pulmonary hypertension in animal models]B Alexandru
Clinica de Pneumologie, U.M.F. Carol Davila
Pneumologia 50:85-9. 2001..It is known that administration of small doses of MCT or its active metabolite, monocrotaline pyrrole (MCTP); to rats causes delayed and progressive lung injury characterized by pulmonary vascular ..
- Microtubule proliferation in right ventricular myocytes of rats with monocrotaline-induced pulmonary hypertensionRachel Stones
School of Biomedical Sciences and Multidisciplinary Cardiovascular Research Centre, University of Leeds, Leeds, UK
J Mol Cell Cardiol 56:91-6. 2013..of the microtubule cytoskeleton in the right ventricle of rats with pulmonary hypertension induced by monocrotaline (MCT) and whether this contributed to contractile dysfunction...
- Inhibition of nuclear factor-κB in the lungs prevents monocrotaline-induced pulmonary hypertension in miceLi Li
Division of Molecular Cardiology, Department of Medicine, College of Medicine, Texas A and M Health Science Center, 1901 South 1st St, Bldg 205, Temple, TX
Hypertension 63:1260-9. 2014..NF-κB inhibition in the lungs using Club (Clara) cell-10 promoter driving IκBα mutant had any effect in monocrotaline (MCT)-induced PAH mouse model...
- Reactive oxygen species and substance P in monocrotaline-induced pulmonary hypertensionM J Chen
Department of Physiology, National Taiwan University College of Medicine, Taipei, Taiwan 100
Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 171:165-73. 2001..whether the antioxidants 1,3-dimethyl-2-thiourea (DMTU) and hexa(sulfobutyl)fullerenes (FC(4)S) attenuate monocrotaline (MCT)-induced pulmonary hypertension (PH) by lowering lung substance P (SP) in Wistar rats...
- Fluoxetine protects against monocrotaline-induced pulmonary arterial remodeling by inhibition of hypoxia-inducible factor-1α and vascular endothelial growth factorDan Dan Han
Department of Clinical Pharmacology, China Medical University, Heping District, Shenyang, China
Can J Physiol Pharmacol 90:445-54. 2012The selective serotonin re-uptake inhibitor fluoxetine has been shown to protect against monocrotaline (MCT)-induced pulmonary hypertension in rats...
- Attenuation of monocrotaline-induced pulmonary arterial hypertension in rats by rosuvastatinXiao Lin Li
Division of Dyslipidemia, State Key Laboratory of Cardiovascular Disease, Fu Wai Hospital, National Center for Cardiovascular Disease, Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences, Beijing 100037, China
J Cardiovasc Pharmacol 60:219-26. 2012..Although the effects of statins on pulmonary arterial hypertension (PAH) have been studied previously, the results remain uncertain...
- Therapeutic sesamol attenuates monocrotaline-induced sinusoidal obstruction syndrome in rats by inhibiting matrix metalloproteinase-9Srinivasan Periasamy
Department of Environmental and Occupational Health, National Cheng Kung University Medical College, Tainan, Taiwan
Cell Biochem Biophys 61:327-36. 2011We investigated the therapeutic effect of sesamol against monocrotaline-induced sinusoidal obstruction syndrome (SOS) in rats. Male Sprague-Dawley rats were gavaged with a single dose of monocrotaline (90 mg/kg) to induce SOS...
- Pulmonary hemodynamic response to acute combination and monotherapy with sildenafil and brain natriuretic peptide in rats with monocrotaline-induced pulmonary hypertensionCarl Carlino
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Missouri School of Medicine, University of Missouri, Columbia, Missouri 65212, USA
Am J Med Sci 339:55-9. 2010..sildenafil, a cGMP phosphodiesterase type 5 inhibitor, and brain natriuretic peptide (BNP), a receptor-mediated guanosine cyclase stimulator, synergistically attenuates monocrotaline-induced PAH in rats compared with either monotherapy.
- Overexpression of human bone morphogenetic protein receptor 2 does not ameliorate monocrotaline pulmonary arterial hypertensionM Sean McMurtry
Department of Medicine, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada T6G 2B7
Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol 292:L872-8. 2007..We hypothesized that overexpression of BMPR2 in resistance PAs would ameliorate established monocrotaline PAH. Human BMPR2 was inserted into a serotype 5 adenovirus with a green fluorescent protein (GFP) reporter...
- Monocrotaline promotes transplanted cell engraftment and advances liver repopulation in rats via liver conditioningBrigid Joseph
Department of Medicine and Pathology, Marion Bessin Liver Research Center, Jack and Pearl Resnick Campus, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, NY 10461, USA
Hepatology 44:1411-20. 2006..To determine whether these mechanisms could be activated simultaneously, we studied the effects of monocrotaline, a pyrollizidine alkaloid, with reported toxicity in liver sinusoidal endothelial cells and Kupffer cells...
- Endothelin-3-dependent pulmonary vasoconstriction in monocrotaline-induced pulmonary arterial hypertensionStephanie Sauvageau
Research Center, Montreal Heart Institute and Universite de Montreal, 5000 Belanger Street, Montreal, Quebec H1T 1C8, Canada
Peptides 29:2039-45. 2008..The contribution of ET-3 and its interactions with ET receptors have never been evaluated in the monocrotaline (MCT)-induced model of PAH...
- Effects of monocrotaline on energy metabolism in the rat liverFábio Erminio Mingatto
Laboratorio de Bioquimica, Universidade Estadual Paulista Julio de Mesquita Filho, Campus de Dracena, 17900 000 Dracena, SP, Brazil
Toxicol Lett 182:115-20. 2008b>Monocrotaline (MCT) is a pyrrolizidine alkaloid present in the plants of the Crotalaria species that causes cytotoxicity and genotoxicity in animals and humans, and it is hepatically metabolized to the alkylating agent ..
- Improvement of mortality by long-term E4010 treatment in monocrotaline-induced pulmonary hypertensive ratsK Kodama
Cardiovascular Research Unit, Tsukuba Research Laboratories, Eisai Co, Ltd, Tsukuba, Ibaraki, Japan
J Pharmacol Exp Ther 290:748-52. 1999..alazin ecarbonitrile monohydrochloride, on the survival rate of rats with pulmonary hypertension induced by monocrotaline (MCT). After an s.c...
- Effects of endogenous sulfur dioxide on monocrotaline-induced pulmonary hypertension in ratsHong fang Jin
Department of Pediatrics, Peking University First Hospital, Beijing 100034, China
Acta Pharmacol Sin 29:1157-66. 2008The present study aimed to explore the protective effect of endogenous sulfur dioxide (SO2) in the development of monocrotaline (MCT)-induced pulmonary hypertension (PH) in rats.
- Novel Means to Establish Free Radical Balance in the Neonatal Premature LungPrakash Jagtap; Fiscal Year: 2011..R-100 has no effect on systemic blood pressure in normotensive control rats nor in monocrotaline-induced PAH in rats, but is effective as a selective pulmonary vasodilator in 3 distinct ovine models of PAH...
- Bifunctional Redox Agent for the Treatment of PPHNGARRY JOHN SOUTHAN; Fiscal Year: 2011..R-100 has been shown to be dramatically effective in selectively relieving pulmonary arterial hypertension in monocrotaline-challenged rats and in pilot studies of newborn lamb models of severe PPHN refractory to iNO...
- PULMONARY VASODILATION AND GUANYLATE CYCLASE REGULATIONMichael S Wolin; Fiscal Year: 2010..Pulmonary arteries from monocrotaline-induced PH rats are examined to identify alterations in the regulation of sGC by the Nox oxidase, ROS and ..
- Calpain Activates Intracellular TGF-beta1 in Pulmonary HypertensionYunchao Su; Fiscal Year: 2013..that the calpain inhibitor MDL28170 prevents the progression of established pulmonary hypertension induced by monocrotaline. Calpain is a family of calcium-dependent non-lysosomal neutral cysteine endopeptidases that act via limited ..
- ACE2 as a target for pulmonary hypertension therapeuticsMOHAN K contact RAIZADA; Fiscal Year: 2010..objective: Aim 1: Test that overexpression of ACE2 by HSC in the lungs will reverse PH pathophysiology in the monocrotaline (MCT) rat model of PH...
- Golgi Blockade in Pulmonary HypertensionPravin B Sehgal; Fiscal Year: 2012..We shall investigate this mechanism in human PH and in experimental models (monocrotaline, hypoxia, BMPR2R899X mutation) using in vivo-derived materials and in experiments in cell culture...
- The Role of DRP-1 and Mitochondrial Fission in Pulmonary Arterial HypertensionStephen L Archer; Fiscal Year: 2013..Experiments are performed in human PAH PASMC and lungs and in experimental models (induced by monocrotaline or SU5416 + hypoxia)...
- Mechanobiology of Vascular Remodeling in Pulmonary Arterial HypertensionLAURA ELIZABETH FREDENBURGH; Fiscal Year: 2013..significant increases in matrix stiffness by more than three-fold in the rat models of SU5416/hypoxia and monocrotaline (MCT)-induced PAH...
- Smooth Muscle Cell Protein Serotonylation and Pulmonary HypertensionBARRY FANBURG; Fiscal Year: 2013..of FN occurs in lung tissue of mice and rats developing PH secondary to exposure to hypoxia and in rats given monocrotaline, and we have identified marked elevation of serotonylated FN in lungs and sera of some patients with PAH...
- Role of the PDGF signaling pathway in pulmonary artery hypertensionAkiko Hata; Fiscal Year: 2013..in the medial layer of the remodeled pulmonary arteries (PAs) from PAH patients and rodents treated with monocrotaline (MCT) or hypoxia...
- Prostacyclin-secreting Cells as Therapy for Pulmonary Artery HypertensionKe He Ruan; Fiscal Year: 2010..We will use the well-established rat model of monocrotaline- induced PAH to examine the effects of COX-1-10aa-PGIS-overexpressing cells on survival and right ventricular ..
- Endothelin and EGFR Activation in Pulmonary HypertensionOlga Rafikova; Fiscal Year: 2012..of aberrant EGFR signaling in the development of PH in Aim 2 we will utilize an in vivo model of PH induced by monocrotaline injection in the rat...
- Arterial Stiffness in the Pathogenesis of Human Pulmonary Arterial HypertensionLAURA ELIZABETH FREDENBURGH; Fiscal Year: 2013..significant increases in matrix stiffness by more than three-fold in the rat models of SU5416/hypoxia and monocrotaline (MCT)-induced PAH...
- Schistosomiasis Associated Pulmonary Arterial HypertensionBRIAN BARKLEY GRAHAM; Fiscal Year: 2013..of experimental pulmonary hypertension (PH) employ either chronic hypoxia or endothelial cell toxicity with monocrotaline, but such stimuli do not accurately model the inflammatory pathways likely contributory to the pathogenesis of ..
- Ca2+ Signaling in Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension: Role of CaSR and TRPC6Jason X J Yuan; Fiscal Year: 2013..CaSR was enhanced, while mRNA and protein expression of CaSR was upregulated in PASMC isolated from rats with monocrotaline (MCT)-induced PH compared to PASMC from normal rats;and d) blockade of CaSR with a calcilytic significantly ..
- Targeted Delivery of Progenitor Cells to the LungJoseph Loscalzo; Fiscal Year: 2012..on lung repair and regeneration in hwo rat models of human pulmonary disease, elastase-induced emphysema and monocrotaline-induced pulmonary hypertension...
- Long Term Treatment of Modified Stem Cells for Pulmonary HypertensionDAVID BRENDAN CASEY; Fiscal Year: 2010..This hypothesis was tested in rats with monocrotaline induced PH using well-characterized expanded MSCs...
- An inhaled PDGF receptor inhibitor for the treatment of pulmonary arterial hyperLawrence S Zisman; Fiscal Year: 2013..pulmonary hypertension without causing adverse effects on lung function or systemic blood pressure in the rat monocrotaline plus pneumonectomy model...
- Phosphodiesterase-1 in Pulmonary Hypertension: Expression, Regulation, and TargetFiona Murray; Fiscal Year: 2012..potential of PDE1 isoforms using PASMC isolated from PHT patients, and from an animal model for PHT [monocrotaline (MCT)-treated rats]...
- Pathologic Roles of TRP channels in Idiopathic Pulmonary Arterial HypertensionJAMES SK SHAM; Fiscal Year: 2013..store- operated (SOCE) and receptor-operated Ca2+ entry (ROCE) are enhanced in PASMCs of chronic hypoxic and monocrotaline-induced PH rats...
- Role of MicroRNAs 424 and 503 in Pulmonary Arterial HypertensionHyung Joon Chun; Fiscal Year: 2013..Remarkably, these miRNAs are also markedly decreased in the experimental monocrotaline rat model of PH, as well as in PAECs isolated from patients with clinically diagnosed PAH...
- Subcellular Mechanisms in Pathogenesis of Pulmonary Arterial HypertensionJASON EDWARD LEE; Fiscal Year: 2012..morphology, enlargement and fragmentation under various PAH-mimetic conditions [NO scavenging, hypoxia and monocrotaline pyrolle (MCTP)] in cultures of primary HPAECs and HPASMCs with a focus on giantin, GM130, p115, GS28 and 1-..
- FACSVantage SE UpgradeRAYMOND HESTER; Fiscal Year: 2004..MILS (maternally inherited Leigh Syndrome), 9) role of ornithine decarboxylase in the endothelial cell toxin, monocrotaline, 10) role of activated leukocyte cell adhesion molecule and activated monocytes in the pathogenesis of acute ..
- POLYAMINES AND MONOCROTALINE PNEUMOTOXICITY (AHR-F1)JACK OLSON; Fiscal Year: 1999DESCRIPTION (Adapted from the Investigator's Abstract): Humans, livestock and rat monocrotaline (MCT) pneumotoxicity is associated with a spectrum of pulmonary vascular lesions reminiscent of idiopathic pulmonary hypertension in humans...
- DETERMINANTS OF PULMONARY ARTERY BLOOD VELOCITY PROFILECarol Lucas; Fiscal Year: 1991..Elevated pulmonary artery pressure or blood flow will be produced via monocrotaline pyrrole injections or arteriovenous shunts, respectively...
- VEGF PROTECTS AGAINST PULMONARY VASCULAR REMODELINGRubin Tuder; Fiscal Year: 2001..to test whether VEGF reduces pulmonary vessel remodeling in vivo in rats exposed to chronic hypoxia or to monocrotaline by means of administering recombinant VEGF, or neutralizing VEGF with antibodies or with the VEGF-receptor KDR ..
- METABOLISM AND PATHOLOGY OF MONOCROTALINEHENRY SEGALL; Fiscal Year: 1990..The PA monocrotaline is of particular interest because of its toxic effects on the lungs and heart as well as the liver...
- DNA CROSSLINKING AGENTSThomas Harris; Fiscal Year: 1999..These bifunctional compounds include (1) four- atom tethers: a monocrotaline and 2,3-dihydro-5-(3',4'-dichlorophenyl)-6,7-bis) acetoxymethyl-1H-pyrrolizine bis(isopropylcarbamate) (i.e...
- Allicin and NO Modulation of Pulmonary VasoactivityDAVID KU; Fiscal Year: 2007..oral administration of garlic with different allicin yields produces a graded protection against hypoxia and monocrotaline-induced pulmonary hypertension...
- POLYAMINES AND MONOCROTALINE PNEUMOTOXICITYJACK OLSON; Fiscal Year: 1992Humans, livestock and rat monocrotaline (MCT) pneumotoxicity is associated with a spectrum of pulmonary vascular lesions reminescent of idiopathic pulmonary hypertension in humans...
- Characterization and Development of a New Animal Model of Pulmonary HypertensionSylvia McCune; Fiscal Year: 2007..expression found in the SHHF-PH rat to the only other genetic rat model of PH the FHR and the commonly used monocrotaline-induced PH rat; 4...
- ENDOTOXIN ENHANCEMENT OF HEPATOTOXICITY--ROLE OF PGD2Patricia Ganey; Fiscal Year: 2001..studies demonstrate that small doses of LPS markedly enhance the hepatotoxicity of allyl alcohol (AA) and of monocrotaline (MCT), and similar potentiation of toxicity by LPS has been documented for other hepatotoxicants...
- ACQUISITION OF MALDI/TOF MASS SPECTROMETERBruce Hammock; Fiscal Year: 1999..protein modification in the lung, primary biliary cirrhosis, reproductive toxicology, copper nutrition, and monocrotaline-induced pulmonary hypertension...
- Phosphodiesterase-1 in Pulmonary Hypertension: Expression, Regulation, and TargetFiona Murray; Fiscal Year: 2009..potential of PDE1 isoforms using PASMC isolated from PHT patients, and from an animal model for PHT [monocrotaline (MCT)-treated rats]...
- Differentiation Potential of Adult Rat Stem CellsJEFFERY SPEES; Fiscal Year: 2005..3. To determine the engraftment and differentiation potential of the stem cell sub-populations in a rat model of monocrotaline-induced pulmonary hypertension.
- CELLULAR PHYSIOLOGY OF STAT3PRAVIN SEHGAL; Fiscal Year: 2002..Establishing the basic subunit structure of the cytosolic 200-400 kDa and 1-2 MDa STAT3-containing complexes in IL-6-free and IL-6-treated cells is a sine qua non for further progress in this field. ..
- Estradiol Metabolites for Treatment of Pulmonary HypertensionStevan Tofovic; Fiscal Year: 2007..studies we have shown that 2ME inhibits vascular (media) remodeling in vivo and attenuates the development of monocrotaline-induced PH...
- Raft/Caveolar Mechanisms in Pulmonary HypertensionPRAVIN SEHGAL; Fiscal Year: 2007..In a rat model, a single injection of the plant alkaloid monocrotaline (MCI) results within 48 hrs in endothelial cell damage, membrane leakage, upregulation of IL-6 mRNA and ..
- Pathophysiology and Treatment of Pulmonary HypertensionMarc Moon; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- ANTIMITOGENIC MECHANISMS OF PKG IN VASCULAR SM CELLSJESSE ROBERTS; Fiscal Year: 2004..In addition, a carefully constructed training program has been developed that will permit successful development of an independent research career examining the basic mechanisms of pulmonary vascular diseases. ..
- MOLECULAR MECHANISMS OF OXIDANT TOXICITYQin Chen; Fiscal Year: 2004..We have a unique finding of premature senescence with oxidative stress and will combine in vitro and in vivo approaches to uncover the trigger of unwanted effects of aging. ..
- ROLE OF ENDOTHELIN IN PERINATAL PULMONARY VASOREGULATIONDAVID IVY; Fiscal Year: 2002..Research presentations along with graduate level courses in molecular biology, and the clinical ambiance of the Univ of CO SOM in the area of pulmonary hypertension enhance career development. ..
- DNA modifications in primary pulmonary hypertensionMark Gillespie; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- SECRETIONS OF ARTHROPODSThomas Eisner; Fiscal Year: 2008..Insects are major vectors of disease. An understanding of how insects depend on natural products for regulation of their biotic interactions is of broad applied significance to both medicine and agriculture. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Modifying Genes in Pulmonary HypertensionAri Zaiman; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable]..
- EPITHELIAL CELLS IN LUNG INFLAMMATIONPeter Kao; Fiscal Year: 2003..A signaling enzyme in HBE cells which is specifically inactivated by PG490 and which regulates NF-kappaB transcriptional activation in the nucleus will be isolated and characterized. ..
- Anti-inflammatory Serpin(AAT and Elafin) Gene Transfers*Sihong Song; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- BIOLOGY OF MONOCROTALINE INDUCED PULMONARY HYPERTENSIONDennis Wilson; Fiscal Year: 2005b>Monocrotaline (MCT) induced pulmonary hypertension remains a principle model for the biology and development of intervention strategies for the human disease...
- Gene Therapy for Correction of PiZ MutationSihong Song; Fiscal Year: 2006..Liver pathology will be examined. We anticipate achieving the therapeutic correction in PiZ transgenic mouse model. The success of this project may lead to a novel gene therapy for clinical treatment of human AAT deficiency. ..
- Steroid As Cytoprotectants against Oxidative ToxicityQin Chen; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Mechanisms of PKG-induced PASMC DifferentiationJESSE ROBERTS; Fiscal Year: 2008..They are likely to provide information that will lead to the development of novel therapeutic targets that can be used to prevent pulmonary vascular disease in the injured lung. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Translational Control of Oxidative Stress in Myocardial InfarctionQin M Chen; Fiscal Year: 2010..PUBLIC HEALTH RELEVANCE: This grant proposes to study the mechanism of Nrf2 protein translation in cardiomyocytes and in the myocardium following oxidative stress. ..
- Lung Cell Genomic Threats from Physiological SignalsMark Gillespie; Fiscal Year: 2009..Such a finding could point to new pathways leading to somatic mutation and thus lead to a better understanding of cancer, aging, and other disorders wherein ROS are believed to play pathogenic roles. ..