- Effectiveness of antipsychotic drugs in patients with chronic schizophrenia
Jeffrey A Lieberman
Department of Psychiatry, College of Physicians and Surgeons, Columbia University, New York State Psychiatric Institute, New York, NY 10032, USA
N Engl J Med 353:1209-23. 2005
..We compared a first-generation antipsychotic, perphenazine, with several newer drugs in a double-blind study...
- Efficacy and safety of quetiapine in critically ill patients with delirium: a prospective, multicenter, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled pilot study
John W Devlin
Northeastern University School of Pharmacy, Boston, MA, USA
Crit Care Med 38:419-27. 2010
..To compare the efficacy and safety of scheduled quetiapine to placebo for the treatment of delirium in critically ill patients requiring as-needed haloperidol...
- A randomized controlled trial of quetiapine versus placebo in the treatment of delirium
Tayyeb A Tahir
Department of Liaison Psychiatry, University Hospital of Wales, Cardiff and Vale University Health Board, Heath Park, Cardiff, UK
J Psychosom Res 69:485-90. 2010
..Delirium is a commonly occurring complex neuropsychiatric disorder. Evidence for its treatment based on randomized controlled trials (RCTs) is poor...
- Quetiapine facilitates oligodendrocyte development and prevents mice from myelin breakdown and behavioral changes
Neuropsychiatry Research Unit, Department of Psychiatry, University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Mol Psychiatry 13:697-708. 2008
..These findings suggest a new neural mechanism of antipsychotic action of QUE, and help to establish a role for oligodendrocytes in the etiopathology and treatment of schizophrenia...
- Effects of quetiapine on monoamine, GABA, and glutamate release in rat prefrontal cortex
Department of Psychiatry, Division of Neuroscience, Graduate School of Medicine, Mie University, 2 174 Edobashi, Tsu, Mie, 514 8507, Japan
Psychopharmacology (Berl) 206:243-58. 2009
..The atypical antipsychotic drug, quetiapine (QTP), is effective in schizophrenia and mood disorders, but induces seizures compared to typical antipsychotics...
- Efficacy and tolerability of extended release quetiapine fumarate monotherapy as maintenance treatment of major depressive disorder: a randomized, placebo-controlled trial
Department of Psychiatry, Columbia University, New York, New York 10128, USA
Depress Anxiety 27:964-76. 2010
..evaluate the efficacy (time to recurrence of depressive symptoms) of once daily extended release quetiapine fumarate (quetiapine XR) as maintenance monotherapy treatment to prevent relapse for major depressive disorder (MDD)...
- Effects of quetiapine on phencyclidine-induced cognitive deficits in mice: a possible role of alpha1-adrenoceptors
Division of Clinical Neuroscience, Chiba University Center for Forensic Mental Health, 1 8 1 Inohana, Chiba 260 8670, Japan
Eur Neuropsychopharmacol 19:861-7. 2009
..Therefore, it is likely that antagonism at alpha(1)-adrenoceptors is involved in the mechanism underlying quetiapine's psychopharmacological action...
- Quetiapine or haloperidol as monotherapy for bipolar mania--a 12-week, double-blind, randomised, parallel-group, placebo-controlled trial
Roger S McIntyre
Mood Disorders Psychopharmacology Unit, University Health Network, University of Toronto, Canada
Eur Neuropsychopharmacol 15:573-85. 2005
..The primary efficacy outcome variable was change from baseline to Day 21 in Young Mania Rating Scale (YMRS) score...
- Quetiapine adjunct to selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors or venlafaxine in patients with major depression, comorbid anxiety, and residual depressive symptoms: a randomized, placebo-controlled pilot study
Department of Psychiatry, Penticton Regional Hospital, Penticton, British Columbia, Canada
Depress Anxiety 24:487-94. 2007
..Further studies are warranted...
- Effectiveness of antipsychotic drugs in first-episode schizophrenia and schizophreniform disorder: an open randomised clinical trial
Rene S Kahn
Department of Psychiatry, Rudolf Magnus Institute of Neuroscience, University Medical Centre Utrecht, Utrecht, Netherlands
Lancet 371:1085-97. 2008
..We aimed to compare the effectiveness of second-generation antipsychotic drugs with that of a low dose of haloperidol, in first-episode schizophrenia...
- The effect of atypical antipsychotics, perospirone, ziprasidone and quetiapine on microglial activation induced by interferon-gamma
Department of Neuropsychiatry, Graduate School of Medical Sciences, Kyushu University, 3 1 1 Maidashi Higashi ku, Fukuoka, 812 8582, Japan
Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry 32:42-8. 2008
- Effects of antipsychotic medications on psychosocial functioning in patients with chronic schizophrenia: findings from the NIMH CATIE study
Marvin S Swartz
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC, USA
Am J Psychiatry 164:428-36. 2007
..This study examined the relative effects of the second-generation antipsychotic drugs and an older representative agent on psychosocial functioning in patients with chronic schizophrenia...
- Neuropsychological change in patients with schizophrenia after treatment with quetiapine or haloperidol
S E Purdon
University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alta
J Psychiatry Neurosci 26:137-49. 2001
..To assess the efficacy of quetiapine, a recently introduced second generation antipsychotic medication, in reducing cognitive impairment in patients with schizophrenia...
- Self-reported sedation profile of quetiapine extended-release and quetiapine immediate-release during 6-day initial dose escalation in bipolar depression: a multicenter, randomized, double-blind, phase IV study
Robert A Riesenberg
Atlanta Center for Medical Research, Atlanta, Georgia 30308, USA
Clin Ther 34:2202-11. 2012
..A human-volunteer study reported lower sedation intensity during escalation of the extended-release formulation of quetiapine fumarate (quetiapine XR) than the immediate-release (IR) formulation...
- Quetiapine monotherapy in acute phase for major depressive disorder: a meta-analysis of randomized, placebo-controlled trials
Department of Psychiatry, Faculty of Medicine, Chiang Mai University, Chiang Mai, Thailand
BMC Psychiatry 12:160. 2012
..Schizophrenia and bipolar depression trials suggest that quetiapine may have an antidepressant effect...
- Quetiapine: a review of its use in the management of bipolar depression
Adis, Auckland, New Zealand
CNS Drugs 26:435-60. 2012
..Further head-to-head trials of quetiapine versus other drug regimens that are effective in bipolar depression would be of considerable interest...
- Quetiapine as an adjunctive pharmacotherapy for the treatment of non-remitting generalized anxiety disorder: a flexible-dose, open-label pilot trial
M A Katzman
START Clinic for Mood and Anxiety Disorders, Canada
J Anxiety Disord 22:1480-6. 2008
..Generalized anxiety disorder (GAD) is a chronic disorder associated with significant morbidity and disability. Traditional therapies are associated with poor levels of remission, and often result in troublesome side effects...
- Extended release quetiapine fumarate monotherapy for major depressive disorder: results of a double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled study
Department of Psychiatry, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, NC, USA
CNS Spectr 14:299-313. 2009
..Once-daily extended release quetiapine fumarate (quetiapine XR) monotherapy was evaluated in major depressive disorder (MDD)...
- Treatment options for bipolar depression: a systematic review of randomized, controlled trials
Clinical Institute of Neuroscience, Hospital Clinic, University of Barcelona, Institut d Investigacions Biomediques August Pi i Sunyer, Centro de Investigación Biomédica en Red de Salud Mental, Barcelona, Spain
J Clin Psychopharmacol 30:579-90. 2010
..Quetiapine and the olanzapine-fluoxetine combination showed the greatest symptomatic improvement. Efficacy considerations will need to be balanced against safety and tolerability of the individual agents...
- Metabolic effects of the atypical antipsychotics
South Med J 100:771-2. 2007
- Quetiapine: preclinical studies, pharmacokinetics, drug interactions, and dosing
Charles B Nemeroff
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, GA 30322 4990, USA
J Clin Psychiatry 63:5-11. 2002
..Finally, imaging studies with positron emission tomography confirm significant differences between quetiapine and typical antipsychotics that may be indicative of their differences in mechanism of action and propensity for producing EPS...
- A pilot trial of quetiapine for the treatment of patients with delirium
Chi Un Pae
Department of Psychiatry, Kangnam St Mary s Hospital, The Catholic University of Korea College of Medicine, Banpo dong, Seocho Gu, Seoul, South Korea
Hum Psychopharmacol 19:125-7. 2004
..3% and 55.1%, respectively. Quetiapine was effective and safe for the treatment of patients with delirium, and could be a useful alternative agent to classical antipsychotics in the treatment of delirium...
- Demonstration of an anti-oxidative stress mechanism of quetiapine: implications for the treatment of Alzheimer's disease
Department of Anatomy, Southern Illinois University at Carbondale, IL, USA
FEBS J 275:3718-28. 2008
- Effectiveness of second-generation antipsychotics: a naturalistic, randomized comparison of olanzapine, quetiapine, risperidone, and ziprasidone
Division of Psychiatry, H aukeland University Hospital, Sandviken, PB 23, N 5812 Bergen, Norway
BMC Psychiatry 10:26. 2010
- Safety and tolerability of once-daily extended release quetiapine fumarate in acute schizophrenia: pooled data from randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled studies
AstraZeneca Research and Development, Sodertalje, Sweden
Hum Psychopharmacol 25:103-15. 2010
- Amisulpride versus quetiapine for the treatment of delirium: a randomized, open prospective study
Kyoung Uk Lee
Department of Psychiatry, College of Medicine, The Catholic University of Korea, Seoul, Korea
Int Clin Psychopharmacol 20:311-4. 2005
..The present study shows that both amisulpride and quetiapine may be useful drugs for the treatment of delirium on the basis of effectiveness and relative lack of adverse events. Further systematic controlled studies are required...
- Patterns of quetiapine use in psychiatric inpatients: an examination of off-label use
Noah S Philip
Butler Hospital and Department of Psychiatry and Human Behavior, The Warren Alpert Medical School at Brown University, Providence, RI 02906, USA
Ann Clin Psychiatry 20:15-20. 2008
..To investigate such usage of quetiapine, we evaluated prescribing practices of this drug at our acute-care psychiatric hospital...
- Does antipsychotic polypharmacy increase the risk for metabolic syndrome?
Christoph U Correll
The Zucker Hillside Hospital, North Shore Long Island Jewish Health System, Glen Oaks, NY 11004, United States
Schizophr Res 89:91-100. 2007
..To determine whether the coprescribing of two or more antipsychotics, a relatively frequent practice with little data to support its safety and efficacy, is associated with an increased prevalence of metabolic syndrome...
- Newer treatment studies for bipolar depression
NIMH Bipolar Research Center, Mood Disorders Program, University Hospitals of Cleveland Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine, Cleveland, OH, USA
Bipolar Disord 7:13-23. 2005
..Depressive symptoms of bipolar disorder have more negative impact on a patient's life than manic symptoms. This review focused on the emerging efficacy data for treatments in bipolar depression...
- Quetiapine addiction?
Emil R Pinta
Am J Psychiatry 164:174-5. 2007
- Effect of lurasidone on neurocognitive performance in patients with schizophrenia: a short-term placebo- and active-controlled study followed by a 6-month double-blind extension
Philip D Harvey
University of Miami Miller School of Medicine, Miami, FL, USA Electronic address
Eur Neuropsychopharmacol 23:1373-82. 2013
..These findings require replication, but are not due to practice effects, because of the placebo and active controls...
- Neurocognitive effects of antipsychotic medications in patients with chronic schizophrenia in the CATIE Trial
Richard S E Keefe
Department of Psychiatry, John Umstead Hospital, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 27710, USA
Arch Gen Psychiatry 64:633-47. 2007
..The relative effect of the second-generation (atypical) antipsychotic drugs and older agents on neurocognition has not been comprehensively determined...
- The role of antihistaminic effects in the misuse of quetiapine: a case report and review of the literature
Bernard A Fischer
Maryland Psychiatric Research Center, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21228, USA
Neurosci Biobehav Rev 34:555-8. 2010
..This includes the unwelcome possibility of restricting access to this effective medication...
- Effects of olanzapine, quetiapine, and risperidone on neurocognitive function in early psychosis: a randomized, double-blind 52-week comparison
Richard S E Keefe
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 27710, USA
Am J Psychiatry 164:1061-71. 2007
..The authors sought to compare the effects of olanzapine, quetiapine, and risperidone on neurocognitive function in patients with early psychosis...
- Cognitive functioning and acute sedative effects of risperidone and quetiapine in patients with stable bipolar I disorder: a randomized, double-blind, crossover study
Philip D Harvey
Department of Psychiatry, Mt Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY, USA
J Clin Psychiatry 68:1186-94. 2007
..The primary objective of this double-blind study was to compare the effects of treatment initiation with risperidone and quetiapine on cognitive function in subjects with stable bipolar disorder...
- Tardive dyskinesia in a patient treated with quetiapine
Second Department of Psychiatry, University of Athens, Medical School, Attikon General Hospital, Greece
World J Biol Psychiatry 10:54-7. 2009
..Although, it is under consideration the possibility that the improvement could have been due to the discontinuation of quetiapine, we conclude that aripiprazole improved the TD symptoms...
- The role of atypical antipsychotics in the treatment of delirium
Thomas L Schwartz
Department of Psychiatry, S U N Y Upstate Medical University, Syracuse 13210, USA
Psychosomatics 43:171-4. 2002
..g., schizophrenia or bipolar disorder), but few studies have evaluated them in the treatment of delirium. This paper reviews the pertinent literature and summarizes tentative guidelines for novel antipsychotic use in delirium...
- Possible intranasal quetiapine misuse
Anna K Morin
Department of Pharmacy Practice, Massachusetts College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences, 19 Foster Street, Worcester, MA 01608, USA
Am J Health Syst Pharm 64:723-5. 2007
..A possible case of intranasal quetiapine misuse in a patient with schizoaffective disorder and substance abuse is presented..
- Quetiapine-induced myoclonus
Camden and Islington Mental Health and Social Care Trust, London, UK
Int Clin Psychopharmacol 20:119-20. 2005
..These movements were dose-related and completely abated on reducing the dose. To our knowledge, these movements have not been reported previously as an adverse effect of quetiapine...
- Addictive potential of quetiapine
Am J Psychiatry 165:918. 2008
- Quetiapine: another drug with potential for misuse? A case report
J Clin Psychiatry 69:162-3. 2008
- Effects of atypical and typical antipsychotic treatments on sexual function in patients with schizophrenia: 12-month results from the Intercontinental Schizophrenia Outpatient Health Outcomes (IC-SOHO) study
Eli Lilly and Company, Ges m b H, Kölblgasse 8 10, 1030 Vienna, Austria
Eur Psychiatry 21:251-8. 2006
..This report will compare the effects of selected atypical and typical antipsychotics on sexual function in a large, international population of outpatients with schizophrenia who were treated over 1 year...
- A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled efficacy and safety study of quetiapine or lithium as monotherapy for mania in bipolar disorder
Charles L Bowden
Department of Psychiatry, University of Texas Health Science Center, San Antonio, TX 78229 3900, USA
J Clin Psychiatry 66:111-21. 2005
..To evaluate the efficacy and tolerability of quetiapine monotherapy versus placebo for the treatment of mania associated with bipolar disorder...
- Beneficial effects of quetiapine in a transgenic mouse model of Alzheimer's disease
Laboratory of Neuropharmacology, Wenzhou Medical College, Wenzhou, PR China
Neurobiol Aging 30:1205-16. 2009
- N-desalkylquetiapine, a potent norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor and partial 5-HT1A agonist, as a putative mediator of quetiapine's antidepressant activity
Niels H Jensen
Department of Pharmacology, University of North Carolina Medical School, Chapel Hill, NC 27599, USA
Neuropsychopharmacology 33:2303-12. 2008
..Possible contributions of this metabolite to the side effects of quetiapine are discussed...
- Quetiapine regulates neurogenesis in ischemic mice by inhibiting NF-kappaB p65/p50 expression
Department of Neurology, Shanghai Changhai Hospital, Second Military Medical University, Shanghai, China
Neurol Res 31:159-66. 2009
..Previously, we showed that quetiapine, an atypical antipsychotic drug, significantly attenuated neurodegeneration induced by global cerebral ischemia (GCI). The present work investigates the effects of quetiapine on neurogenesis...
- A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial of quetiapine in the treatment of bipolar I or II depression
Joseph R Calabrese
University Hospitals of Cleveland and Case University School of Medicine, 11400 Euclid Ave, Suite 200, Cleveland, OH 44106, USA
Am J Psychiatry 162:1351-60. 2005
..There is a major unmet need for effective options in the treatment of bipolar depression...
- Quetiapine with lithium or divalproex for the treatment of bipolar mania: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study
Harvard Bipolar Research Program, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, 02114, USA
Bipolar Disord 6:213-23. 2004
..Evaluate the efficacy and tolerability of quetiapine (QTP) combined with lithium (Li) or divalproex (DVP) in the treatment of acute mania...
- Quetiapine ameliorates anxiety-like behavior and cognitive impairments in stressed rats: implications for the treatment of posttraumatic stress disorder
H N Wang
Department of Psychiatry, Xijing Hospital, Fourth Military Medical University, Xi an, Shaanxi, China
Physiol Res 59:263-71. 2010
..QUE has preventive and protective effects against stress-associated symptoms and the changes in pERK1/2 functions may be associated with the pathophysiology of traumatic stress and the therapeutic efficacy of anti-PTSD therapy...
- Quetiapine attenuates spatial memory impairment and hippocampal neurodegeneration induced by bilateral common carotid artery occlusion in mice
Neuropsychiatry Research Unit, Department of Psychiatry, College of Medicine, University of Saskatchewan, A114 Medical Research Bldg, 103 Wiggins Road, Saskatoon, Canada
Life Sci 81:353-61. 2007
..The results suggest that quetiapine may have defending effects on the impairments induced by cerebral ischemia, which enhances our understanding about the mechanisms of quetiapine...
- Quetiapine: efficacy, tolerability and safety in schizophrenia
University of the Negev, Division of Psychiatry, Faculty of Health Sciences Ben Gurion, Be er Sheva, Israel
Expert Rev Neurother 6:983-92. 2006
..There are also continued efforts to understand, predict and manage the side-effect risk with quetiapine...
- A prospective, open-label, flexible-dose study of quetiapine in the treatment of delirium
Department of Psychiatry, Hokkaido University Graduate School of Medicine, Sapporo, Japan
J Clin Psychiatry 64:1316-21. 2003
..The purpose of the present open-label, flexible-dose study was to provide preliminary data on the usefulness and safety of quetiapine for patients with delirium...
- Increased impulsivity and disrupted attention induced by repeated phencyclidine are not attenuated by chronic quetiapine treatment
Department of Psychiatry, School of Medicine, University of California, San Diego, 9500 Gilman Drive, La Jolla, California 92093, USA
Pharmacol Biochem Behav 93:248-57. 2009
- The effects of chronic administration of quetiapine on the phencyclidine-induced reference memory impairment and decrease of Bcl-XL/Bax ratio in the posterior cingulate cortex in rats
Laboratory of Neuropharmacology, Wenzhou Medical College, Wenzhou, China
Behav Brain Res 168:236-42. 2006
..These results suggest that quetiapine may have ameliorating effects on the cognitive impairment and brain apoptotic processes induced by PCP...
- Quetiapine for the treatment of alcoholism: scientific rationale and review of the literature
Lara A Ray
Department of Psychology, University of California, Los Angeles, CA 90095 1563, USA
Drug Alcohol Rev 29:568-75. 2010
- An open-label study of quetiapine for delirium
Department of Psychiatry, Chiang Mai University, Chiang Mai, Thailand
J Med Assoc Thai 90:2158-63. 2007
..To evaluate the effects of quetiapine treatment in patients with delirium...
- An analysis of safety and tolerability data from controlled, comparative studies of quetiapine in patients with schizophrenia, focusing on extrapyramidal symptoms
AstraZeneca, Sodertalje, Sweden
Hum Psychopharmacol 22:315-25. 2007
- Efficacy of quetiapine in generalized social anxiety disorder: results from an open-label study
Sara I J Schutters
J Clin Psychiatry 66:540-2. 2005
- The impact of atypical antipsychotic medications on the use of health care by patients with schizophrenia
Department of Pharmaceutical Economics and Policy, School of Pharmacy, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA, USA
Value Health 11:34-43. 2008
..Using data in real-world clinical practice, this study aims to compare the health-care use patterns of patients with schizophrenia who use oral antipsychotics...
- Treatment of a first episode of psychotic illness with quetiapine: an analysis of 2 year outcomes
Lili C Kopala
Department of Psychiatry, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC, Canada
Schizophr Res 81:29-39. 2006
..The first episode of a psychotic disorder provides a unique opportunity to initiate optimal treatment but when a new medication becomes available, little data exist to guide the appropriate use in this population...
- Preliminary experience with adjunctive quetiapine in patients receiving selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors
David E Adson
Department of Psychiatry, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, Minnesota 55454 1495, USA
Depress Anxiety 19:121-6. 2004
..Given the open-label design of the trial, more rigorous studies are clearly indicated...
- Pharmacokinetic variability of quetiapine and the active metabolite N-desalkylquetiapine in psychiatric patients
Gry Vibeke Bakken
vCenter for Psychopharmacology, Diakonhjemmet Hospital, Oslo, Norway
Ther Drug Monit 33:222-6. 2011
- Maintenance of long-term efficacy and safety of quetiapine in the open-label treatment of schizophrenia
Department of General Psychiatry, Medical University Vienna, Vienna, Austria
Int Clin Psychopharmacol 19:281-9. 2004
..In conclusion, quetiapine may be a suitable therapy in the long-term treatment of schizophrenia...
- Are all commonly prescribed antipsychotics associated with greater mortality in elderly male veterans with dementia?
Rebecca C Rossom
Department of Psychiatry, Minneapolis Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Minneapolis, Minnesota 55417, USA
J Am Geriatr Soc 58:1027-34. 2010
..To estimate mortality risk associated with individual commonly prescribed antipsychotics...
- Synergistic dopamine increase in the rat prefrontal cortex with the combination of quetiapine and fluvoxamine
Department of Psychiatry, The Rudolf Magnus Institute of Neuroscience, University Medical Center Utrecht, P O Box 85500, 3508 GA Utrecht, The Netherlands
Psychopharmacology (Berl) 176:195-203. 2004
- Improvement in cognitive functioning in patients with first-episode psychosis during treatment with quetiapine: an interim analysis
K P Good
Department of Psychiatry, Dalhousie University, Suite 3073 AJLB, 5909 Veterans Memorial Lane, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada B3H 2E2
Br J Psychiatry Suppl 43:s45-9. 2002
..The efficacies of second-generation antipsychotic medications in reducing symptoms are reasonably well-documented, but their effects on cognition are less clearly understood...
- Dosing and switching strategies for quetiapine fumarate
Andrew J Cutler
Coordinated Research of Florida, Inc, Winter Park 32789, USA
Clin Ther 24:209-22. 2002
..The atypical antipsychotic agent quetiapine fumarate has demonstrated efficacy and tolerability in clinical trials in patients with chronic or subchronic exacerbations of schizophrenic symptoms...
- Efficacy of quetiapine monotherapy in bipolar I and II depression: a double-blind, placebo-controlled study (the BOLDER II study)
Michael E Thase
Western Psychiatric Institute and Clinic, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Pittsburgh, PA 15213 2593, USA
J Clin Psychopharmacol 26:600-9. 2006
..This study demonstrates that quetiapine monotherapy is an effective and well-tolerated treatment for depressive episodes in bipolar disorder, confirming the results observed from a previous study (BipOLar DEpRession [BOLDER] I)...
- Quetiapine augmentation of serotonin reuptake inhibitors in obsessive-compulsive disorder
MRC Unit on Anxiety Disorders, University of Stellenbosch, Tygerberg, Cape Town, South Africa
Int Clin Psychopharmacol 17:37-40. 2002
..Quetiapine, a relatively well tolerated agent, deserves further controlled study in this context...
- Quetiapine alleviates the cuprizone-induced white matter pathology in the brain of C57BL/6 mouse
Department of Psychiatry, Faculty of Medicine, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Schizophr Res 106:182-91. 2008
..These results suggest that the CPZ-exposed C57BL/6 mouse is a potential animal model to study possible roles of OLs in the pathogenesis and treatment of schizophrenia...
- Atypical antipsychotic drugs, quetiapine, iloperidone, and melperone, preferentially increase dopamine and acetylcholine release in rat medial prefrontal cortex: role of 5-HT1A receptor agonism
Division of Psychopharmacology, Department of Psychiatry, Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, Nashville, TN 37212, USA
Brain Res 956:349-57. 2002
..However, 5-HT(1A) agonism may be important only for quetiapine-induced ACh release...
- A meta-analysis of neuropsychological change to clozapine, olanzapine, quetiapine, and risperidone in schizophrenia
Neil D Woodward
Department of Psychology, Vanderbilt University, Nashville, TN 37203, USA
Int J Neuropsychopharmacol 8:457-72. 2005
..Atypical antipsychotics produce a mild remediation of cognitive deficits in schizophrenia, and specific atypicals have differential effects within certain cognitive domains...
- Pharmacokinetic profiles of extended release quetiapine fumarate compared with quetiapine immediate release
Research Strategy International, Torrance, CA, USA
Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry 33:199-204. 2009
- Self-reported sedation profile of immediate-release quetiapine fumarate compared with extended-release quetiapine fumarate during dose initiation: a randomized, double-blind, crossover study in healthy adult subjects
AstraZeneca Pharmaceuticals, Wilmington, Delaware 19850, USA
Clin Ther 31:492-502. 2009
..The tolerability of the 2 formulations was also evaluated...
- Low-dose risperidone and quetiapine as monotherapy for comorbid anxiety and depression
J Clin Psychiatry 66:544. 2005
- Efficacy and tolerability of extended release quetiapine fumarate (quetiapine XR) monotherapy in major depressive disorder: a placebo-controlled, randomized study
Comprehensive NeuroScience, Atlanta, GA 30342, USA
J Affect Disord 128:83-94. 2011
..Evaluate the efficacy and tolerability of extended release quetiapine fumarate (quetiapine XR) once-daily monotherapy for patients with major depressive disorder (MDD)...
- Why olanzapine beats risperidone, risperidone beats quetiapine, and quetiapine beats olanzapine: an exploratory analysis of head-to-head comparison studies of second-generation antipsychotics
Klinik und Poliklinik für Psychiatrie und Psychotherapie der Technischen Universität München am Klinikum rechts der Isar, Moehlstrasse 26, 81675 Munich, Germany
Am J Psychiatry 163:185-94. 2006
- The effects of chronic administration of quetiapine on the methamphetamine-induced recognition memory impairment and dopaminergic terminal deficit in rats
Neuropsychiatry Research Unit, Department of Psychiatry, University of Saskatchewan, 103 Wiggins Road, Saskatoon, Sask, Canada S7N 5E4
Behav Brain Res 172:39-45. 2006
..These findings suggest that quetiapine may have therapeutic effects in the treatment of cognitive impairment and neurodegeneration induced by METH...
- Efficacy of olanzapine versus quetiapine on cognitive dysfunctions in patients with an acute episode of schizophrenia
Dept of Psychiatry and Psychotherapy, Ludwig Maximilians University of Munich, Nussbaumstrasse 7, 80336 Munich, Germany
Eur Arch Psychiatry Clin Neurosci 257:402-12. 2007
..Furthermore, quetiapine produced a significantly greater improvement in reaction quality/attention than olanzapine...
- Quetiapine for bipolar depression: a systematic review and meta-analysis
Institute of Psychiatry, University of Bologna, Bologna, Italy
Int Clin Psychopharmacol 27:76-90. 2012
..Furthermore, several clinical variables moderated outcomes under investigation. In conclusion, quetiapine could have some advantages over traditional treatments for the treatment of bipolar depression...
- Antipsychotics for the prevention and treatment of delirium in the intensive care unit: what is their role?
John W Devlin
Northeastern University School of Pharmacy, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Harv Rev Psychiatry 19:59-67. 2011
..A research framework for future evaluation of the use of antipsychotic therapy in the critically ill is proposed...
- A randomized, double-blind study of once-daily extended release quetiapine fumarate (quetiapine XR) monotherapy in patients with generalized anxiety disorder
Northwest Clinical Research Center, Bellevue, WA 98007, USA
J Clin Psychopharmacol 31:418-28. 2011
..Quetiapine XR (50/150 mg/d) monotherapy was effective at week 8 in patients with GAD; symptom improvement was seen at week 1 for all doses (50/150/300 mg/d). Safety and tolerability were consistent with the known profile of quetiapine...
- Quetiapine. A review of its use in the management of schizophrenia
Susan M Cheer
Adis International Limited, Auckland, New Zealand
CNS Drugs 18:173-99. 2004
..Overall, quetiapine has an excellent risk/benefit profile and is a suitable first-line option for the treatment of schizophrenia...
- Efficacy and tolerability of quetiapine in patients with schizophrenia who switched from haloperidol, olanzapine or risperidone
Keskinen Terveyskeskus, Auroran Psykiatrinen Osasto, Helsingin kaupunki, Finland
Hum Psychopharmacol 20:573-81. 2005
..001 vs baseline). Switching to quetiapine produced efficacy and tolerability benefits regardless of whether their previous antipsychotic was haloperidol, olanzapine or risperidone...
- Atypical antipsychotics in bipolar depression: potential mechanisms of action
Lakshmi N Yatham
Department of Psychiatry, The University of British Columbia, UBC Hospital, Vancouver, Canada
J Clin Psychiatry 66:40-8. 2005
..Further studies should be conducted to examine these hypotheses...
- Quetiapine versus placebo in combination with lithium or divalproex for the treatment of bipolar mania
Lakshmi N Yatham
Department of Psychiatry, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC, Canada
J Clin Psychopharmacol 24:599-606. 2004
..Quetiapine, in combination with lithium or divalproex, is well tolerated and has superior efficacy to lithium or divalproex alone in the treatment of bipolar mania...
- Discontinuation of treatment of schizophrenic patients is driven by poor symptom response: a pooled post-hoc analysis of four atypical antipsychotic drugs
Lilly Research Laboratories, Eli Lilly and Company, Indianapolis, Indiana, USA
BMC Med 3:21. 2005
..Stopping antipsychotic treatment can interrupt improvement and exacerbate the illness. The reasons for discontinuing treatment during controlled clinical trials were analyzed to explore this phenomenon...
- Quetiapine extended release: in schizophrenia
Claudine M Baldwin
Wolters Kluwer Health, Adis, Auckland, New Zealand
CNS Drugs 23:261-9. 2009
..Rates of worsening of Simpson-Angus Scale and Barnes Akathisia Rating Scale scores were not dissimilar among quetiapine XR, quetiapine immediate release and placebo...
- Differential effect of quetiapine on depressive symptoms in patients with partially responsive schizophrenia
Robin A Emsley
Department of Psychiatry, Faculty of Medicine, University of Stellenbosch, Tygerberg, Cape Town, South Africa
J Psychopharmacol 17:210-5. 2003
..These findings extend the evidence for an antidepressant effect for the novel antipsychotics in schizophrenia, and suggest that this is not limited to acutely psychotic patients...
- Quetiapine: an effective antipsychotic in first-episode schizophrenia despite only transiently high dopamine-2 receptor blockade
Schizophrenia and Continuing Care Program, Centre for Addiction and Mental Health, Department of Psychiatry, University of Toronto, Toronto, Canada
J Clin Psychiatry 63:992-7. 2002
..We treated patients experiencing their first episode of schizophrenia with a single daily dose of quetiapine to achieve a transient daily peak of D(2) receptor blockade, to determine if this would lead to an antipsychotic response...
- Clinical pharmacokinetics of quetiapine: an atypical antipsychotic
C L DeVane
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston 29425, USA
Clin Pharmacokinet 40:509-22. 2001
..Subsequent clinical studies of the plasma concentration versus effect relationships for quetiapine may help to further define guidelines for dosage regimen design...
- A double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled trial of quetiapine addition in patients with obsessive-compulsive disorder refractory to serotonin reuptake inhibitors
Rudolf Magnus Institute of Neuroscience, Department of Psychiatry, University Medical Center Utrecht, Utrecht, The Netherlands
J Clin Psychiatry 65:1040-8. 2004
..This study was conducted to evaluate the efficacy and tolerability of quetiapine in addition to an SRI for treatment-refractory patients with OCD...
- Quetiapine-induced leucopenia: possible dosage-related phenomenon
Can J Psychiatry 48:65-6. 2003
- Quetiapine augmentation in patients with treatment resistant obsessive-compulsive disorder: a single-blind, placebo-controlled study
Firat University, Medical Faculty Hospital, Department of Psychiatry, Elazig, Turkey
Int Clin Psychopharmacol 17:115-9. 2002
..The addition of quetiapine to ongoing SRI therapy has been found to be effective and well-tolerated approach in patients with refractory OCD...
- Randomized, double-blind 6-month comparison of olanzapine and quetiapine in patients with schizophrenia or schizoaffective disorder with prominent negative symptoms and poor functioning
Bruce J Kinon
Lilly Research Laboratories, Eli Lilly and Company, Lilly Corporate Center, Indianapolis, IN 46285, USA
J Clin Psychopharmacol 26:453-61. 2006
..Greater improvement in positive symptoms and a greater study completion rate may hold relevance to enhanced functional outcomes observed after OLZ therapy...
- Antipsychotic monotherapy and polypharmacy in the naturalistic treatment of schizophrenia with atypical antipsychotics
Outcomes Research, Eli Lilly and Company, Indianapolis, Indiana, USA
BMC Psychiatry 5:26. 2005
..This study assessed the annual rate and duration of antipsychotic monotherapy and its inverse, antipsychotic polypharmacy, among schizophrenia patients initiated on commonly used atypical antipsychotic medications...
- A double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled study of quetiapine as adjunctive treatment for adolescent mania
Melissa P DelBello
Bipolar and Psychotic Disorders Research Program, Department of Psychiatry, University of Cincinnati College of Medicine, Cincinnati, OH 45267 0559, USA
J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 41:1216-23. 2002
..It was hypothesized that DVP in combination with quetiapine would be more effective than DVP alone for treating mania associated with adolescent bipolar disorder. Furthermore, it was hypothesized that quetiapine would be well tolerated...
- Dosing quetiapine in drug-naive first-episode psychosis: a controlled, double-blind, randomized, single-center study investigating efficacy, tolerability, and safety of 200 mg/day vs. 400 mg/day of quetiapine fumarate in 141 patients aged 15 to 25 years
Gregor E Berger
The Schloessli Clinic, Department of Research and Education, Schlösslistrasse 8, CH 8618 Oetwil am See, Switzerland
J Clin Psychiatry 69:1702-14. 2008
..To assess dosing, efficacy, and tolerability of quetiapine fumarate in drug-naive first-episode psychosis...
- Quetiapine addition to serotonin reuptake inhibitor treatment in patients with treatment-refractory obsessive-compulsive disorder: an open-label study
Department of Psychiatry, University Medical Center, Utrecht, The Netherlands
J Clin Psychiatry 63:700-3. 2002
..The objective of this study was to examine whether addition of the atypical antipsychotic quetiapine to SRIs is useful for patients with OCD who do not respond to SRI monotherapy...
- Is leukopenia associated with divalproex and/or quetiapine?
Psychosomatics 46:188-9. 2005
- Quetiapine augmentation in depressed patients with partial response to antidepressants
James S Olver
Department of Psychiatry, University of Melbourne, Austin Health, Heidelberg, Victoria, Australia
Hum Psychopharmacol 23:653-60. 2008
..We aim to investigate the efficacy and tolerability of augmentation with quetiapine in depressed patients with a partial response to antidepressants...