Genomes and Genes
Summary: A synthetic fluoroquinolone (FLUOROQUINOLONES) antibacterial agent that inhibits the supercoiling activity of bacterial DNA GYRASE, halting DNA REPLICATION.
Articles from Journal RESEARCH
Articles from Journal RESEARCH1
Publications307 found, 100 shown here
- Killing by ampicillin and ofloxacin induces overlapping changes in Escherichia coli transcription profileNiilo Kaldalu
Department of Biology, Northeastern University, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 48:890-6. 2004..log-phase Escherichia coli treated with bactericidal concentrations of two unrelated antibiotics: ampicillin and ofloxacin. Massive changes in transcription profile were observed in response to either agent, and there was a significant ..
- The influence of reduced susceptibility to fluoroquinolones in Salmonella enterica serovar Typhi on the clinical response to ofloxacin therapyChristopher M Parry
Wellcome Trust Major Overseas Programme, Oxford University Clinical Research Unit, The Hospital for Tropical Diseases, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
PLoS Negl Trop Dis 5:e1163. 2011..We studied the relationship between ofloxacin treatment response and the ofloxacin minimum inhibitory concentration (MIC) of the infecting isolate...
- A Phase II study of the sterilising activities of ofloxacin, gatifloxacin and moxifloxacin in pulmonary tuberculosisR Rustomjee
Unit for Clinical and Biomedical TB Research, Medical Research Council, Durban, South Africa
Int J Tuberc Lung Dis 12:128-38. 2008..Current treatment for pulmonary tuberculosis (TB) might be shortened by the incorporation of fluoroquinolones (FQs)...
- Suitable disk antimicrobial susceptibility breakpoints defining Salmonella enterica serovar Typhi isolates with reduced susceptibility to fluoroquinolonesChristopher M Parry
The Hospital for Tropical Diseases, Wellcome Trust Major Overseas Programme, Oxford University Clinical Research Unit, 190 Ben Ham Tu, Quan 5, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 54:5201-8. 2010Infections with Salmonella enterica serovar Typhi isolates that have reduced susceptibility to ofloxacin (MIC ≥ 0.25 μg/ml) or ciprofloxacin (MIC ≥ 0...
- Starvation, together with the SOS response, mediates high biofilm-specific tolerance to the fluoroquinolone ofloxacinSteve P Bernier
Institut Pasteur, Unité de Génétique des Biofilms, Paris, France
PLoS Genet 9:e1003144. 2013..acid auxotroph mutants, that starved biofilms exhibited significantly greater tolerance towards fluoroquinolone ofloxacin than their planktonic counterparts...
- Parallel assessment of 24 monthly doses of rifampin, ofloxacin, and minocycline versus two years of World Health Organization multi-drug therapy for multi-bacillary leprosyLaarni G Villahermosa
Leonard Wood Memorial Center for Leprosy Research, Cebu, The Philippines
Am J Trop Med Hyg 70:197-200. 2004Monthly doses of rifampin, ofloxacin, and minocycline (ROM) are expected to be effective treatment for multi-bacillary leprosy. Patients with MB leprosy received ROM (n = 10) or World Health Organization multi-drug therapy (MDT) (n = 11)...
- Distribution of fluoroquinolone MICs in Helicobacter pylori strains from Korean patientsJung Mogg Kim
Department of Microbiology and Institute of Biomedical Science, Hanyang University College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
J Antimicrob Chemother 56:965-7. 2005..The aim of this study was to assess the prevalence rate of primary fluoroquinolone resistance in Helicobacter pylori isolates from Korean patients over the past 16 years...
- Long term follow-up results of 1 year MDT in MB leprosy patients treated with standard MDT + once a month Minocycline and OfloxacinK Katoch
Medical Unit I, National JALMA Institute for Leprosy and Other Mycobacterial Diseases ICMR, Department of Health Research, Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Government of India, Dr M Miyazaki Marg, Tajganj, Agra 282001, India
Indian J Lepr 80:331-44. 2008..It was also envisaged to see if the addition of newer bactericidal drugs would be beneficial...
- Multicenter evaluation of Bactec MGIT 960 system for second-line drug susceptibility testing of Mycobacterium tuberculosis complexS Y Grace Lin
Microbial Diseases Laboratory, CDPH, 850 Marina Bay Parkway, Richmond, CA 94804, USA
J Clin Microbiol 47:3630-4. 2009..1% for levofloxacin, 100% for amikacin, 97.4% for capreomycin, and 88.9% for ethionamide. The rate of reproducibility of the drug susceptibility testing results between the participating laboratories was 99.5%...
- Emergence of ofloxacin resistance in Mycobacterium tuberculosis clinical isolates from China as determined by gyrA mutation analysis using denaturing high-pressure liquid chromatography and DNA sequencingRuiru Shi
Mycobacterial Reference Center, The Research Institute of Tuberculosis, 3 1 24 Matsuyama, Kiyose, Tokyo 204 0022, Japan
J Clin Microbiol 44:4566-8. 2006A high rate of double point mutations in gyrA (56% of 87 ofloxacin-resistant Mycobacterium tuberculosis clinical isolates) indicates the emergence of fluoroquinolone resistance...
- Sequence analyses of just four genes to detect extensively drug-resistant Mycobacterium tuberculosis strains in multidrug-resistant tuberculosis patients undergoing treatmentSilke Feuerriegel
Research Center Borstel, National Reference Center for Mycobacteria, Parkallee 18, 23845 Borstel, Germany
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 53:3353-6. 2009..To address this question, we analyzed Mycobacterium tuberculosis strains resistant to ofloxacin (n = 26) and to capreomycin and/or amikacin (n = 48) from Uzbekistan for variations in target genes (gyrA, gyrB, ..
- Rifampicin reduces susceptibility to ofloxacin in rifampicin-resistant Mycobacterium tuberculosis through effluxGail E Louw
Department of Biomedical Sciences, Faculty of Health Sciences, Stellenbosch University, Cape Town, South Africa
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 184:269-76. 2011..Central dogma suggests that rifampicin resistance in Mycobacterium tuberculosis develops solely through rpoB gene mutations...
- Should moxifloxacin be used for the treatment of extensively drug-resistant tuberculosis? An answer from a murine modelJulien Poissy
Laboratoire de Bacteriologie Hygiene, Faculte de Medecine, Pierre et Marie Curie Université Paris, 91 Boulevard de l Hopital, Paris Cedex 13, France
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 54:4765-71. 2010..tuberculosis, may be lower than its peak serum level for some ofloxacin-resistant strains of Mycobacterium tuberculosis...
- Levofloxacin-based triple therapy versus bismuth-based quadruple therapy for persistent Helicobacter pylori infection: a meta-analysisRichard J Saad
Department of Medicine, Division of Gastroenterology, University of Michigan Medical Center, 3912 Taubman Center, Ann Arbor, MI 48109, USA
Am J Gastroenterol 101:488-96. 2006..Levofloxacin-based triple therapy has been suggested as an alternative salvage therapy to bismuth-based quadruple therapy for persistent Helicobacter pylori (H. pylori) infection...
- In vitro activity of moxifloxacin, levofloxacin, gatifloxacin and linezolid against Mycobacterium tuberculosisJ C Rodriguez
Section of Microbiology, Hospital General Universitario de Elche, Universidad Miguel Hernandez, 03202 Elche, Alicante, Spain
Int J Antimicrob Agents 20:464-7. 2002..These new compounds may prove to be therapeutic alternatives for treatment of multi-resistant tuberculosis and further studies should be done to demonstrate their true usefulness...
- Fluoroquinolone resistance in Mycobacterium tuberculosis and mutations in gyrA and gyrBAndrea von Groll
Mycobacteriology Unit, Institute of Tropical Medicine, Antwerp, Belgium
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 53:4498-500. 2009This study evaluated cross-resistance of Mycobacterium tuberculosis strains to ofloxacin, moxifloxacin, and gatifloxacin and investigated the presence of mutations in gyrA and gyrB...
- Identification and characterization of inhibitors of multidrug resistance efflux pumps in Pseudomonas aeruginosa: novel agents for combination therapyO Lomovskaya
Microcide Pharmaceuticals, Inc, Mountain View, California 94043, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 45:105-16. 2001..aeruginosa strains that are highly resistant to fluoroquinolones...
- Pharmacokinetic interaction between levofloxacin and ciclosporin or tacrolimus in kidney transplant recipients: ciclosporin, tacrolimus and levofloxacin in renal transplantationStefano Federico
Department of Systematic Pathology, Section of Renal Transplantation, Faculty of Medicine and Surgery, Federico II University of Naples, Naples, Italy
Clin Pharmacokinet 45:169-75. 2006..This study was performed to establish whether levofloxacin, a more recent fluoroquinolone that undergoes limited hepatic metabolism, interferes with metabolism and excretion of either ciclosporin microemulsion or tacrolimus...
- Comparative in vitro activities of ciprofloxacin, clinafloxacin, gatifloxacin, levofloxacin, moxifloxacin, and trovafloxacin against Klebsiella pneumoniae, Klebsiella oxytoca, Enterobacter cloacae, and Enterobacter aerogenes clinical isolates with alteratS Brisse
Eijkman Winkler Institute, Utrecht University, 3584 CX, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 43:2051-5. 1999..Irrespective of the alterations in GyrA and ParC proteins, clinafloxacin exhibited greater activity than all other fluoroquinolones tested against K. pneumoniae and E. aerogenes...
- Ofloxacin induces oxidative damage to joint chondrocytes of juvenile rabbits: excessive production of reactive oxygen species, lipid peroxidation and DNA damageQianqian Li
Evaluation and Research Center for Toxicology, Institute of Disease Control and Prevention, Academy of Military Medical Sciences, 20 Dong Da Jie Street, Fengtai District, Beijing 100071, PR China
Eur J Pharmacol 626:146-53. 2010..This study was undertaken to investigate the role of oxidative damage in ofloxacin (one typical quinolones)-induced arthropathy...
- In vitro susceptibilities of bacterial ocular isolates to fluoroquinolonesA Graves
Santen, Inc, Napa, California 94558, USA
Cornea 20:301-5. 2001To evaluate and compare the in vitro antimicrobial activity of levofloxacin versus ciprofloxacin and ofloxacin against ocular isolates from patients with bacterial conjunctivitis.
- Ofloxacin targeting to lungs by way of microspheresSree Harsha
Department of Pharmaceutics, College of Clinical Pharmacy, King Faisal University, Al Ahsa, Hufof, Saudi Arabia
Int J Pharm 380:127-32. 2009..As an application, lung-targeting albumin loaded ofloxacin microspheres (ALOME) were prepared by water in oil emulsion method...
- Activity of levofloxacin and ciprofloxacin against urinary pathogensL Drago
Laboratory of Clinical Microbiology, Department of Preclinical Science, LITA Vialba, University of Milan, Via G B Grassi 74, 20157 Milano, Italy
J Antimicrob Chemother 48:37-45. 2001..125 x MIC. These findings suggest that levofloxacin is an effective alternative to ciprofloxacin in the treatment of urinary tract infections and that sub-inhibitory concentrations may contribute to efficacy...
- Levofloxacin 500 mg once daily versus cefuroxime 250 mg twice daily in patients with acute exacerbations of chronic obstructive bronchitis: clinical efficacy and exacerbation-free intervalPatrick Petitpretz
Hopital Andre Mignot, Le Chesnay, France
Int J Antimicrob Agents 30:52-9. 2007..In addition to demonstrating the non-inferiority of levofloxacin compared with cefuroxime in AECOB, the data from this study raise the question of whether EFI is a useful discriminative endpoint for comparing antimicrobial therapies...
- Mechanisms accounting for fluoroquinolone resistance in Escherichia coli clinical isolatesSonia K Morgan-Linnell
Department of Molecular Virology and Microbiology, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas 77030 3411, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 53:235-41. 2009..Thus, additional, unknown fluoroquinolone resistance mechanisms must be present in some clinical isolates...
- Development of a spray-drying method for the formulation of respirable microparticles containing ofloxacin-palladium complexFrancesco Palazzo
Department of Chemistry and Technology of Drugs, Universita degli Studi di Perugia, Via del Liceo 1, 06123 Perugia, Italy
Int J Pharm 440:273-82. 2013..b>Ofloxacin (Ofx) was encapsulated as ofloxacin-palladium (Ofx-Pd) complex into poly DL-lactide (PLA) MP by spray-drying...
- gyrA mutations and phenotypic susceptibility levels to ofloxacin and moxifloxacin in clinical isolates of Mycobacterium tuberculosisFrederick A Sirgel
DST NRF Centre of Excellence for Biomedical TB Research MRC Centre for Molecular and Cellular Biology, Division of Molecular Biology and Human Genetics, Faculty of Health Science, Stellenbosch University, Stellenbosch, South Africa
J Antimicrob Chemother 67:1088-93. 2012To compare mutations in the quinolone resistance-determining region of the gyrA gene and flanking sequences with the MICs of ofloxacin and moxifloxacin for Mycobacterium tuberculosis.
- Systematic review and meta-analysis: levofloxacin-based rescue regimens after Helicobacter pylori treatment failureJ P Gisbert
Department of Gastroenterology, University Hospital of La Princesa, Madrid, Spain
Aliment Pharmacol Ther 23:35-44. 2006..A quadruple therapy has been generally recommended as rescue regimen for Helicobacter pylori eradication failures...
- Characterisation of fluoroquinolone-resistant clinical isolates of Streptococcus pyogenes in Barcelona, SpainA Rivera
Servei de Microbiologia, Hospital de la Santa Creu i Sant Pau, and Unitat de Microbiologia, Departament de Genetica i Microbiologia, Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
Clin Microbiol Infect 11:759-61. 2005..27, and an additional substitution (Ser81-->Tyr) in GyrA. Resistance patterns, emm typing and sequencing of the quinolone resistance-determining regions defined two clusters containing three and two isolates, respectively...
- Levofloxacin versus cefuroxime axetil in the treatment of acute exacerbation of chronic bronchitis: results of a randomized, double-blind studyP M Shah
Klinikum der Johann Wolfgang Goethe Universitaet, Zentrum der Inneren Medizin, Medizinische Klinik III, Schwerpunkt Infektiologie, Frankfurt, Germany
J Antimicrob Chemother 43:529-39. 1999..All three treatment regimens were equally well tolerated. In conclusion, the results show that levofloxacin (250 mg and 500 mg) od is effective and well tolerated in the treatment of AECB in adult patients...
- Mutation characterization of gyrA and gyrB genes in levofloxacin-resistant Mycobacterium tuberculosis clinical isolates from Guangdong Province in ChinaXiaomao Yin
Institute for Pulmonary Disease, Guangzhou Chest Hospital, Yuexiu District, Guangzhou City, Guangdong Province, China
J Infect 61:150-4. 2010..The aim of this study was to observe the molecular characterization of gyrA and gyrB genes in FQ-resistant MTB clinical isolates from Guangdong Province in China...
- Inhibition of Simian virus 40 large T antigen helicase activity by fluoroquinolonesSyed Hamid Ali
Department of Biological and Biomedical Sciences, The Aga Khan University, Karachi, Pakistan
Antivir Ther 12:1-6. 2007..Inhibition of gyrase activity by quinolones involves the interaction of these drugs with the helicase component of bacterial gyrase. DNA tumour viruses also encode helicases that are essential for their DNA replication in the host...
- Antimicrobial susceptibility profile of contemporary clinical strains of Stenotrophomonas maltophilia isolates: can moxifloxacin activity be predicted by levofloxacin MIC results?A C Galles
Laboratório ALERTA, Universidade Federal de Sao Paulo, Brazil
J Chemother 20:38-42. 2008..5% susceptible by published breakpoint criteria) and moxifloxacin (MIC(90), 2 micro g/ml) MIC results was observed indicating that moxifloxacin could be further evaluated as a therapeutic option for S. maltophilia infections...
- Characterization of pyrazinamide and ofloxacin resistance among drug resistant Mycobacterium tuberculosis isolates from SingaporeAnn S G Lee
Department of Clinical Research, Singapore General Hospital, Singapore
Int J Infect Dis 6:48-51. 2002To evaluate rapid molecular approaches for the detection of pyrazinamide (PZA) and ofloxacin resistance, by screening 100 known drug-resistant Mycobacterium tuberculosis isolates.
- Stepwise decrease in moxifloxacin susceptibility amongst clinical isolates of multidrug-resistant Mycobacterium tuberculosis: correlation with ofloxacin susceptibilityKai Man Kam
Tuberculosis Reference Laboratory, Public Health Laboratory Centre, Centre for Health Protection, Department of Health, Hong Kong Special Administrative Region, 382 Nam Cheong Street, Shek Kip Mei, Kowloon, Hong Kong
Microb Drug Resist 12:7-11. 2006..multidrug-resistant (MDR) Mycobacterium tuberculosis (MTB), in vitro drug susceptibility tests on MOX and ofloxacin (OFX) using the MGIT system against 132 nonduplicate MDR MTB isolates (108 OFX-sensitive and 24 OFX-resistant) ..
- Ofloxacin plus rifampicin versus doxycycline plus rifampicin in the treatment of brucellosis: a randomized clinical trial [ISRCTN11871179]Oguz Karabay
Department of Infectious Disease and Clinical Microbiology, Abant Izzet Baysal University Izzet Baysal Medical Faculty Hospital, Bolu Turkey
BMC Infect Dis 4:18. 2004..The aim of the present study was to investigate the efficacy, adverse effects and cost of ofloxacin plus rifampicin therapy, and doxycycline plus rifampicin therapy and evaluate in the treatment of brucellosis.
- Effect of efflux pump inhibitors on drug susceptibility of ofloxacin resistant Mycobacterium tuberculosis isolatesMradula Singh
Department of Microbiology and Molecular Biology, National JALMA Institute for Leprosy and Other Mycobacterial Diseases ICMR, Agra, India
Indian J Med Res 133:535-40. 2011..tuberculosis...
- Comparative antimicrobial activities of gatifloxacin, sitafloxacin and levofloxacin against Mycobacterium tuberculosis replicating within Mono Mac 6 human macrophage and A-549 type II alveolar cell linesK Sato
Department of Microbiology, Shimane Medical University, Izumo, Shimane 693 8501, Japan
J Antimicrob Chemother 52:199-203. 2003..This implies that the cellular permeability of these quinolones is an important factor that determines their efficacy to eliminate intracellular MTB organisms...
- Molecular characterization of ofloxacin-resistant Mycobacterium tuberculosis strains from RussiaIgor Mokrousov
Laboratory of Molecular Microbiology, St Petersburg Pasteur Institute, 197101 St Petersburg, Russia
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 52:2937-9. 2008In this work, we studied the variation in the gyrA and gyrB genes in ofloxacin- and multidrug-resistant Mycobacterium tuberculosis strains circulating in northwest Russia...
- Steady-state plasma and bronchopulmonary concentrations of intravenous levofloxacin and azithromycin in healthy adultsKeith A Rodvold
College of Pharmacy, University of Illinois, Chicago, Illinois, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 47:2450-7. 2003..Further studies are needed to determine the clinical significance of such high intrapulmonary concentrations in patients with respiratory tract infections...
- Preparation and evaluation of ofloxacin-loaded palmitic acid solid lipid nanoparticlesShuYu Xie
Department of Preventive Veterinary Medicine, College of Veterinary Medicine, China Agricultural University, Beijing, People s Republic of China
Int J Nanomedicine 6:547-55. 2011The purpose of this study was to use solid lipid nanoparticles (SLN) to improve the pharmacological activity of ofloxacin. Ofloxacin-loaded SLN were prepared using palmitic acid as lipid matrix and poly vinyl alcohol (PVA) as emulsifier ..
- In vitro activity of four fluoroquinolones against Mycobacterium tuberculosisJ C Rodriguez
Section of Microbiology, Hospital General Universitario de Elche, Universidad Miguel Hernandez, 03202 Elche Alicante, Spain
Int J Antimicrob Agents 17:229-31. 2001The in vitro activity of ciprofloxacin, ofloxacin, levofloxacin and moxifloxacin against strains of Mycobacterium tuberculosis was studied. Moxifloxacin and levofloxacin showed the greatest activity having an MIC(90) of 1 mg/l...
- In vitro antibacterial potency and spectrum of ABT-492, a new fluoroquinoloneAngela M Nilius
Infectious Diseases Research, Abbott Laboratories, Abbott Park, Illinois 60064 3537, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 47:3260-9. 2003....
- A comparative analysis of chromosomal aberrations in cultured human lymphocytes due to fluoroquinolone drugs at different expression periodsM Anupama
International Institute of Biotechnology and Toxicology, Padappai, Kancheepuram District, Tamil Nadu 601301, India
Arch Toxicol 84:411-20. 2010..to the analogous effects induced by some other second- and third-generation FQ antibacterial agents, namely ofloxacin (OFX), ciprofloxacin (CFX) and sparfloxacin (SFX)...
- Development of sustained release gastroretentive drug delivery system for ofloxacin: in vitro and in vivo evaluationMahesh Chavanpatil
Mumbai University Institute of Chemical Technology, Pharmaceutical Sciences Division, Near Nathalal Parikh Marg, Matunga, Mumbai 400019, India
Int J Pharm 304:178-84. 2005..A new strategy is proposed for the development of gastroretentive dosage forms for ofloxacin preferably once daily...
- Moxifloxacin, ofloxacin, sparfloxacin, and ciprofloxacin against Mycobacterium tuberculosis: evaluation of in vitro and pharmacodynamic indices that best predict in vivo efficacyRadha K Shandil
AstraZeneca India Pvt Ltd, Hebbal, Bellary Road, Bangalore 560024, India
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 51:576-82. 2007..1 mg/liter (sparfloxacin [SPX]) and 0.5 mg/liter (moxifloxacin [MXF], ciprofloxacin [CIP], and ofloxacin [OFX])...
- Treatment of Q fever endocarditis: comparison of 2 regimens containing doxycycline and ofloxacin or hydroxychloroquineD Raoult
Unite des Rickettsies, Faculte de Medecine, Université de la Mediterranée CNRS, Marseille, France
Arch Intern Med 159:167-73. 1999..Q fever endocarditis, caused by Coxiella burnetii, is fatal in 25% to 60% of patients. Currently, treatment with a long-term tetracycline and quinolone regimen for at least 4 years is recommended, although relapses are frequent...
- Intensified treatment with high dose rifampicin and levofloxacin compared to standard treatment for adult patients with tuberculous meningitis (TBM-IT): protocol for a randomized controlled trialDorothee Heemskerk
Hospital for Tropical Diseases Oxford University Clinical Research Unit, Wellcome Trust Major Overseas Programme 190 Ben Ham Tu, District 5, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Trials 12:25. 2011....
- Early and extended early bactericidal activity of levofloxacin, gatifloxacin and moxifloxacin in pulmonary tuberculosisJ L Johnson
Department of Medicine, Division of Infectious Diseases, Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine and University Hospitals of Cleveland, Ohio 44106 5083, USA
Int J Tuberc Lung Dis 10:605-12. 2006..To evaluate the early bactericidal activity (EBA) of the new fluoroquinolones levofloxacin, gatifloxacin and moxifloxacin in patients with pulmonary tuberculosis (PTB)...
- In vitro and in vivo activities of levofloxacin against biofilm-producing Pseudomonas aeruginosaH Ishida
New Product Research Laboratories I, Daiichi Pharmaceutical Co, Ltd, Tokyo, Japan
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 42:1641-5. 1998..These findings suggest the significant role of levofloxacin in therapy of biofilm bacterium-associated infectious diseases...
- Molecular detection of rifampin and ofloxacin resistance for patients who experience relapse of multibacillary leprosyEmmanuelle Cambau
Centre National de Référence pour la Surveillance des Infections à Mycobactéries et de leur Résistance aux Antituberculeux, Laboratoire de Bacteriologie Hygiene, Faculté de Médecine Pitié Salpêtrière, 75634 Paris Cedex 13, France
Clin Infect Dis 34:39-45. 2002..Molecular detection of ofloxacin resistance (gyrA analysis) was determined for the 12 patients who experienced relapse and who had received ..
- Comparative roles of levofloxacin and ofloxacin in the treatment of multidrug-resistant tuberculosis: preliminary results of a retrospective study from Hong KongWing Wai Yew
Tuberculosis and Chest Unit, Grantham Hospital, Hong Kong, China
Chest 124:1476-81. 2003To compare levofloxacin and ofloxacin in the treatment of multidrug-resistant tuberculosis (MDR-TB).
- Randomized pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic comparison of fluoroquinolones for tuberculous meningitisGuy E Thwaites
Centre for Molecular Microbiology and Infection, Imperial College, Exhibition Road, London, United Kingdom
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 55:3244-53. 2011..Fluoroquinolones add antituberculosis activity to the standard treatment regimen, but to improve outcomes of TBM, they must be started early, before the onset of coma...
- In vitro selection of resistance in Escherichia coli and Klebsiella spp. at in vivo fluoroquinolone concentrationsLorenzo Drago
Laboratory of Microbiology, Dept Preclinical Sciences LITA Vialba, University of Milan, Via GB Grassi 74, Milan 20157, Italy
BMC Microbiol 10:119. 2010..E. coli resistant strains selected after multi-step selection were characterized for DNA mutations by sequencing gyrA, gyrB, parC and parE genes...
- Population pharmacokinetics of levofloxacin, gatifloxacin, and moxifloxacin in adults with pulmonary tuberculosisCharles A Peloquin
Infectious Disease Pharmacokinetics Laboratory, National Jewish Medical and Research Center, Denver, CO 80206, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 52:852-7. 2008..All three quinolones showed favorable pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic indices, with the most favorable results in this population being seen with levofloxacin at the comparative doses used...
- Comparison of 2 antibiotics that inhibit protein synthesis for the treatment of infection with Yersinia pestis delivered by aerosol in a mouse model of pneumonic plagueHenry S Heine
US Army Medical Research Institute of Infectious Diseases, Fort Detrick, MD, 21702, USA
J Infect Dis 196:782-7. 2007..Intentional release of Yersinia pestis will likely be propagated by aerosol exposure. We explored the effects of neutropenia on the outcome of doxycycline and gentamicin therapy...
- [The efficacy of levofloxacin based triple therapy for Helicobacter pylori eradication]Ji Hyun Lee
Department of Internal Medicine, Bundang CHA Hospital, Pochon CHA University College of Medicine, Seongnam, Korea
Korean J Gastroenterol 48:19-24. 2006..pylori) eradication range from 15 to 20%. This study was aimed to evaluate the efficacy and safety of levofloxacin based triple therapy compared with standard triple or quadruple therapy for H. pylori eradication in Korea...
- In vivo selection during ofloxacin therapy of Escherichia coli with combined topoisomerase mutations that confer high resistance to ofloxacin but susceptibility to nalidixic acidVincent Cattoir
Service de Bactériologie Virologie Hygiène, AP HP CHU, Henri Mondor Université Paris XII, 51 Avenue du Marechal de Lattre de Tassigny, 94010 Creteil Cedex, France
J Antimicrob Chemother 58:1054-7. 2006To investigate quinolone resistance mechanisms in an Escherichia coli clinical isolate (Ar2) resistant to ofloxacin but susceptible to nalidixic acid selected after 10 days of ofloxacin therapy in a patient with prostatitis.
- Second-line levofloxacin-based triple schemes for Helicobacter pylori eradicationS Di Caro
Gastroenterology and Digestive Endoscopy Unit, San Raffaele Giglio Hospital, Cefalù, Italy
Dig Liver Dis 41:480-5. 2009..Several recent studies suggest levofloxacin-based triple therapies as an alternative rescue treatment. However, dosage and length of levofloxacin-based regimens have not been established...
- Comparison of gyrA gene mutations between laboratory-selected ofloxacin-resistant Mycobacterium tuberculosis strains and clinical isolatesZhaogang Sun
Department of Bacteriology and Immunology, Beijing Tuberculosis and Thoracic Tumor Research Institute, Tongzhou District, Beijing 101149, China
Int J Antimicrob Agents 31:115-21. 2008..between mutations in the quinolone resistance-determining region (QRDR) of the gyrA gene and drug resistance to ofloxacin, 85 laboratory-selected ofloxacin-resistant Mycobacterium tuberculosis mutant strains and 110 M...
- Quinolone-resistant Haemophilus influenzae: determination of mutant selection window for ciprofloxacin, garenoxacin, levofloxacin, and moxifloxacinXinying Li
Public Health Research Institute, 225 Warren St, Newark, NJ 07103, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 48:4460-2. 2004..Successive mutations raised the mutant selection window. The wild-type selection window for garenoxacin, levofloxacin, and moxifloxacin was also measured...
- Comparative antimicrobial susceptibility of respiratory tract pathogensDavid Felmingham
G R Micro Ltd, 7 9 William Road, London NW1 3ER, UK
Chemotherapy 50:3-10. 2004..catarrhalis. However, respiratory fluoroquinolones, of which levofloxacin has been available for the longest time, currently remain active against the great majority of common bacterial respiratory pathogens, including atypicals...
- Ofloxacin population pharmacokinetics in patients with tuberculosisJ J Stambaugh
Department of Medicine, National Jewish Medical and Research Center, Denver, Colorado, USA
Int J Tuberc Lung Dis 6:503-9. 2002..Two tuberculosis hospitals in the United States...
- Prevalence and molecular analysis of macrolide and fluoroquinolone resistance among isolates of Streptococcus pneumoniae collected during the 2000-2001 PROTEKT US StudySteven D Brown
Clinical Microbiology Institute, Wilsonville, Oregon, USA
J Clin Microbiol 42:4980-7. 2004..Almost 90% of the erythromycin-resistant isolates and approximately one-third of the levofloxacin-resistant isolates were multidrug resistant...
- Effect of chitosan on in vitro release and ocular delivery of ofloxacin from erodible inserts based on poly(ethylene oxide)G Di Colo
Department of Bioorganic Chemistry and Biopharmaceutics, University of Pisa, Via Bonanno 33, Italy
Int J Pharm 248:115-22. 2002The effects of chitosan hydrochloride (CH-HCl) on in vitro release of ofloxacin (OFX) from mucoadhesive erodible ocular inserts and on the relevant ocular pharmacokinetics have been studied both to contribute evidence of the ability of ..
- Effects of hepatic fibrosis on ofloxacin pharmacokinetics in ratsHui Wang
Department of Pharmacology, School of Medicine, Wuhan University, Hubei Province, China
Pharmacol Res 53:28-34. 2006The purpose of the present work was to study the pharmacokinetics of ofloxacin, a poorly metabolised drug, in experimental hepatic fibrosis...
- Once daily oral ofloxacin in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease exacerbation requiring mechanical ventilation: a randomised placebo-controlled trialS Nouira
Medical Intensive Care Unit, Fattouma Bourguiba University Hospital, 5000, Monastir, Tunisia
Lancet 358:2020-5. 2001..Our objective was to assess the effects of ofloxacin in patients with exacerbations of COPD who required mechanical ventilation.
- A clinical trial of pefloxacin and ofloxacin in lepromatous leprosyTranquilino T Fajardo
Leonard Wood Memorial Center for Leprosy Research, Cebu City 6000, Philippines
Lepr Rev 75:389-97. 2004A 2-month clinical trial of pefloxacin and ofloxacin in previously untreated multibacillary patients was conducted at the Leonard Wood Memorial Leprosy Research Center, Cebu, the Philippines...
- Increasing ofloxacin resistance of bacterial flora from conjunctival sac of preoperative ophthalmic patients in JapanNaoyuki Kurokawa
Department of Ophthalmology, National Tokyo Medical Center, The Policy Based Medical Services Network Study Group for Sensory Organ, Tokyo, Japan
Jpn J Ophthalmol 46:586-9. 2002To examine the in vitro resistance to ofloxacin of preoperative bacterial isolates from the conjunctival sac of Japanese patients.
- Quantitative PCR assay to evaluate ampicillin, ofloxacin, and doxycycline for treatment of experimental leptospirosisJohann Truccolo
Leptospira Laboratory, Institut Pasteur de Nouvelle Caledonie, 98845 Nouméa cedex, New Caledonia
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 46:848-53. 2002..icterohaemorrhagiae strain Verdun to selected antibiotics used in medical practice (ampicillin, doxycycline, and ofloxacin) was evaluated in a Syrian hamster model, to determine the efficacy of these antibiotics during the course of ..
- Delivery of ofloxacin to the lung and alveolar macrophages via hyaluronan microspheres for the treatment of tuberculosisS M Hwang
Department of Pharmaceutics, College of Pharmacy, Seoul National University, Seoul 151 742, Republic of Korea
J Control Release 129:100-6. 2008Microspheres containing ofloxacin (HMO) with a mean diameter of 2-5 mum were prepared by the co-spray drying of ofloxacin and the sodium salt of hyaluronic acid (hyaluronan)...
- Efficacy of ofloxacin and other ototopical preparations for chronic suppurative otitis media in childrenC D Bluestone
University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, and the Department of Pediatrics Otolaryngology, Children s Hospital of Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
Pediatr Infect Dis J 20:111-5; discussion 120-2. 2001The safety and efficacy of ototopical preparations, such as ofloxacin, in the treatment of CSOM in infants and children do not currently have approval by the FDA even though ofloxacin is FDA-approved for treatment of CSOM that occurs in ..
- Pharmacodynamic comparisons of levofloxacin, ciprofloxacin, and ampicillin against Streptococcus pneumoniae in an in vitro model of infectionM K Lacy
Department of Pharmacy Practice, University of Kansas Medical Center, Kansas City 66160 7231, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 43:672-7. 1999..Levofloxacin, owing to its larger AUC0-24 values, has excellent and sustained activity against different pneumococcal strains superior to that of ciprofloxacin...
- Activity of ofloxacin against Mycobacterium leprae in the mouseJ H Grosset
Département de Bactériologie Virologie, Faculté de Médecine Pitié Salpêtrière, Paris, France
Int J Lepr Other Mycobact Dis 56:259-64. 1988..leprae in the left hind foot pad were treated from day 62 to day 150 after infection with 50 mg or 150 mg of ofloxacin per kg body weight, 150 mg pefloxacin per kg, or 50 mg prothionamide per kg...
- Intrapulmonary pharmacokinetics of ofloxacin in drug-resistant tuberculosisN Chierakul
Division of Respiratory Disease and Tuberculosis, Department of Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Siriraj Hospital, Mahidol University, 10700 Bangkok, Thailand
Int J Tuberc Lung Dis 5:278-82. 2001To determine the lung epithelial lining fluid (ELF) and serum levels of ofloxacin in drug-resistant tuberculosis patients during treatment.
- A Mycobacterium leprae isolate resistant to dapsone, rifampin, ofloxacin and sparfloxacinM Matsuoka
Leprosy Research Center, National Institute of Infectious Diseases, 4 2 1 Aobacho, Higashimurayama shi, 189 0002 Tokyo, Japan
Int J Lepr Other Mycobact Dis 68:452-5. 2000..The isolate was susceptible to clofazimine and clarithromycin, and resistant to dapsone, rifampin, ofloxacin and sparfloxacin. Mutations were identified in the genes associated with resistance to these drugs...
- First ruthenium organometallic complex of antibacterial agent ofloxacin. Crystal structure and interactions with DNAIztok Turel
Faculty of Chemistry and Chemical Technology, University of Ljubljana, Aškerčeva 5, 1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia
Inorg Chem 49:10750-2. 2010An organometallic ruthenium complex of quinolone antibacterial agent ofloxacin, [(η(6)-p-cymene)RuCl(O,O-oflo)]·2.8H(2)O (1·2.8H(2)O), was isolated, and its crystal structure was determined...
- Chitosan microspheres as an alveolar macrophage delivery system of ofloxacin via pulmonary inhalationJu Hwan Park
National Research Laboratory of Transporters Targeted Drug Design, College of Pharmacy, Seoul National University, Seoul 151 742, Republic of Korea
Int J Pharm 441:562-9. 2013..survives mainly in the alveolar macrophages, the remedial efficiency of anti-tuberculosis drugs such as ofloxacin may be improved by their direct delivery to the lungs via pulmonary inhalation...
- Oral toxicity of pefloxacin, norfloxacin, ofloxacin and ciprofloxacin: comparison of biomechanical and histopathological effects on Achilles tendon in ratsErcan Olcay
Vatan cad, EmlakBank Evleri, AL, No 4, Faith 34090, Istanbul, Turkey
J Toxicol Sci 36:339-45. 2011Four fluoroquinolones (pefloxacin, norfloxacin, ofloxacin and ciprofloxacin) were compared according to their biomechanical and histopathological effects on rat Achilles tendon...
- Rapid detection of isoniazid, rifampin, and ofloxacin resistance in Mycobacterium tuberculosis clinical isolates using high-resolution melting analysisXiaoyou Chen
Centre for Infectious Diseases and Microbiology Public Health, Institute of Clinical Pathology and Medical Research, Westmead, New South Wales, Australia
J Clin Microbiol 49:3450-7. 2011A high-resolution melting analysis (HRMA) assay was developed to detect isoniazid, rifampin, and ofloxacin resistance in Mycobacterium tuberculosis by targeting resistance-associated mutations in the katG, mabA-inhA promoter, rpoB, and ..
- Synthesis and study of controlled release of ofloxacin from polyester conjugatesMarcin Sobczak
Medical University of Warsaw, Faculty of Pharmacy, Department of Inorganic and Analytical Chemistry, ul Banacha 1, 02 097 Warsaw, Poland
Int J Pharm 402:37-43. 2010New polymeric conjugates were prepared coupling ofloxacin to two-, three-, four and six-arm, star-shaped poly(ɛ-caprolactone) and polylactide...
- In vitro availability of ofloxacin in presence of metals essential to human bodyNajma Sultana
Research Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Karachi, Karachi 75270, Pakistan
Pak J Pharm Sci 20:42-7. 2007The significance of interaction between ofloxacin and metals ions was evaluated in this study. The absorption of ofloxacin can be negatively affected by concomitant administration of agents containing metal cations...
- The efficacy of intravitreal levofloxacin and intravitreal dexamethasone in experimental Staphylococcus epidermidis endophthalmitisOzlem Yildirim
Department of Ophthalmology, Mersin University Faculty of Medicine, Mersin, Turkey
Ophthalmic Res 34:349-56. 2002..007). Studies on retinal toxicity and dose-response relation are needed to prove the efficacy of levofloxacin in S. epidermidis endophthalmitis...
- Pharmacokinetic aspects of levofloxacin 500 mg once daily during sequential intravenous/oral therapy in patients with lower respiratory tract infectionsMario Furlanut
Institute of Clinical Pharmacology and Toxicology, Department of Experimental and Clinical Pathology and Medicine, Medical School, University of Udine, Ple S Maria della Misericordia 3, 33100 Udine, Italy
J Antimicrob Chemother 51:101-6. 2003..The almost complete (> or =99%) absolute oral bioavailability suggests that a comparable exposure to the iv regimen may be achieved after oral administration. The overall clinical success rate was 94.1%...
- Association of mutation patterns in gyrA/B genes and ofloxacin resistance levels in Mycobacterium tuberculosis isolates from East China in 2009Zhenling Cui
Shanghai Key Laboratory of Tuberculosis, Shanghai Pulmonary Hospital, Medical School, Tongji University, Shanghai, China
BMC Infect Dis 11:78. 2011This study aimed to analyze the association of mutation patterns in gyrA and gyrB genes and the ofloxacin resistance levels in clinical Mycobacterium tuberculosis isolates sampled in 2009 from East China.
- Reduction of conjunctival bacterial flora by povidone-iodine, ofloxacin and chlorhexidine in an outpatient settingYaniv Barkana
Department of Ophthalmology, Assaf Harofe Medical Centre, Beer Yaacov, Zerifin, Israel
Acta Ophthalmol Scand 83:360-3. 2005To compare the reduction of conjunctival bacterial flora by povidone-iodine 4%, ofloxacin 0.3%, and chlorhexidine 0.05% for endophthalmitis prophylaxis before corneal suture removal in an outpatient setting.
- Concentrations in plasma, urinary excretion and bactericidal activity of levofloxacin (500 mg) versus ciprofloxacin (500 mg) in healthy volunteers receiving a single oral doseFlorian M E Wagenlehner
Department of Urology, St Elisabeth Hospital, St Elisabeth Str 23, D 94315 Straubing, Germany
Int J Antimicrob Agents 28:551-9. 2006....
- Formulation and in vitro evaluation of ofloxacin-ethocel controlled release matrix tablets prepared by wet granulation method: influence of co-excipients on drug release ratesShefaatullah Shah
Drug Delivery Research Center, Department of Pharmaceutics, Faculty of Pharmacy, Gomal University, Dera Ismail Khan, Pakistan
Pak J Pharm Sci 24:255-61. 2011Being controlled release dosage forms, tablets allow an improved absorption and release profiles of Ofloxacin. The fact that drugs with fine particles size can be compressed well after wetting, so in our research studies Ofloxacin ..
- Prevalence and treatment of Chlamydia trachomatis, Ureaplasma urealyticum, and Mycoplasma hominis in patients with non-gonococcal urethritisDilek Kilic
Department of Infectious Diseases and Clinical Microbiology, University of Kirikkale Faculty of Medicine, Kirikkale, Turkey
Jpn J Infect Dis 57:17-20. 2004..In the evaluation of antibiotic susceptibility, higher resistance was obtained against ofloxacin in U. urealyticum, and against erythromycin with M. hominis...
- Formulation, pharmacokinetics and biodistribution of Ofloxacin-loaded albumin microparticles and nanoparticlesK N Lee
Poxvirus and Rabies Branch, Centers for Disease Control, 1600 Clifton Rd, Atlanta, GA 30329, USA
J Microencapsul 28:363-9. 2011Albumin microparticles containing Ofloxacin (Fluoroquinolone derivative commonly used in hospitals) were formulated by the spray dry method...
- Antimicrobial susceptibility of Stenotrophomonas maltophilia isolates from a Korean tertiary care hospitalHae Sun Chung
Department of Laboratory Medicine and Research Institute of Bacterial Resistance, Yonsei University College of Medicine, 50 Yonsei ro, Seodaemun gu, Seoul 120 752, Korea
Yonsei Med J 53:439-41. 2012..Trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole, minocycline, and levofloxacin were active against most of the isolates tested. Moxifloxacin and tigecycline were also active and hold promise as therapeutic options for S. maltophilia infections...
- Effect of N-1/c-8 ring fusion and C-7 ring structure on fluoroquinolone lethalityMuhammad Malik
Division of Medicinal and Natural Products Chemistry, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA 52242, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 54:5214-21. 2010..Remarkably, structural effects on quinolone lethality were not explained by the recently described X-ray crystal structures of fluoroquinolone-topoisomerase IV-DNA complexes, suggesting the existence of an additional drug-binding state...
- Safety and efficacy of intravenous tigecycline in treatment of community-acquired pneumonia: results from a double-blind randomized phase 3 comparison study with levofloxacinCarlos Bergallo
Hospital Cordoba, Cordoba, Provincia de Cordoba, Argentina, 5000
Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis 63:52-61. 2009..v. or oral antibiotic treatments, hospital readmissions, or number of patients switched to oral levofloxacin. Tigecycline was safe, effective, and noninferior to levofloxacin in hospitalized patients with CAP...
- Open-label, randomized comparison trial of long-term outcomes of levofloxacin versus standard antibiotic therapy in acute exacerbations of chronic obstructive pulmonary diseaseAgustín Ruiz-González
Department of Medicine, Arnau de Vilanova University Hospital, Lleida, Spain
Respirology 12:117-21. 2007..This study investigated whether treating acute exacerbations of COPD (AE-COPD) with levofloxacin modifies the long-term outcome of COPD patients in comparison with standard antibiotic regimens...
- Vitreous penetration of levofloxacin in the uninflamed phakic human eyeE N Herbert
St Paul s Eye Unit, 8Z Link, Royal Liverpool University Hospital, Liverpool L7 8XP, UK
Br J Ophthalmol 86:387-9. 2002..To assess the vitreous penetration of oral levofloxacin (a new fluoroquinolone antibiotic with improved Gram positive activity) in uninflamed phakic eyes...
- Levofloxacin and rhabdomyolysis in a renal transplant patientAsher Korzets
Department of Nephrology, Hasharon Hospital, Petach Tikva 49372, and Sackler School of Medicine, Tel Aviv University, Israel
Nephrol Dial Transplant 21:3304-5. 2006
- Comparison of tear sampling techniques for pharmacokinetics analysis: ofloxacin concentrations in rabbit tears after sampling with schirmer tear strips, capillary tubes, or surgical spongesD Small
Department of Pharmacokinetics and Drug Metabolism, Allergan Inc, Irvine, California 92612, USA
J Ocul Pharmacol Ther 16:439-46. 2000..In vitro, CT, SS, and tear strips were spiked with known volumes of ofloxacin solution in order to assess the bioanalytical accuracy of each technique...
- Bactericidal effect of intravitreal levofloxacin in an experimental model of endophthalmitisC Ferrer
Department of Molecular Biology, VISSUM, Institute of Ophthalmology of Alicante, Alicante, Spain
Br J Ophthalmol 92:678-82. 2008..To evaluate the efficacy of intravitreal 1.5% levofloxacin versus combined treatment with vancomycin and ceftazidime in an experimental model of bacterial endophthalmitis...
- The role of rpoS gene and quorum-sensing system in ofloxacin tolerance in Pseudomonas aeruginosaShizuo Kayama
Department of Oral Microbiology, Institute of Health Biosciences, The University of Tokushima Graduate School, Tokushima, Japan
FEMS Microbiol Lett 298:184-92. 2009..observed to be lower than that of the parental strain in time-dependent killing studies with 8 microg mL(-1) ofloxacin, but the survival rates of the rhlR and rhlI mutants were not different from that of the parental strain...
- Moxifloxacin versus ofloxacin plus metronidazole in uncomplicated pelvic inflammatory disease: results of a multicentre, double blind, randomised trialJ D C Ross
Whittall Street Clinic, Whittall Street, Birmingham B4 6DH, UK
Sex Transm Infect 82:446-51. 2006..prospective, randomised, double blind, parallel group, non-inferiority study compared the efficacy and safety of moxifloxacin monotherapy with ofloxacin plus metronidazole in women with uncomplicated pelvic inflammatory disease.
- Safety of ofloxacin otic and other ototopical treatments in animal models and in humansG A Gates
Department of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery, University of Washington, Seattle, USA
Pediatr Infect Dis J 20:104-7; discussion 120-2. 2001..preparations, which caused significant loss of hair cells in the basal turn of the cochlea, ofloxacin caused no loss of hair cells, even at concentrations higher than used clinically...
- Rapid Tests for Drug Resistance to Detect Extensively Drug-Resistant TuberculosisAntonino Catanzaro; Fiscal Year: 2013..e., isoniazid, rifampin, ofloxacin, amikacin, kanamycin, and capreomycin) directly from sputa...
- Ocular Drug Delivery Devices for Improved Postoperative Cataract CareBuddy D Ratner; Fiscal Year: 2010..The other bead is loaded with an antibiotic (ofloxacin) for the prevention of postsurgical infection...
- Aminoglycoside-Enabled Elucidation of Persister MetabolismMark P Brynildsen; Fiscal Year: 2013..to study the metabolic abilities of three persister populations: exponential phase persisters tolerant to ofloxacin, exponential phase persisters tolerant to ampicillin, and stationary persisters tolerant to ofloxacin...
- Ocular Disposition of Antimicrobial AgentsAshim K Mitra; Fiscal Year: 2010..We also propose to synthesize amino acid, peptide and ascorbate ester prodrugs of erythromycin, levofloxacin and ofloxacin and ascorbate ester prodrugs of ACV, targeted towards the respective transporters expressed on the corneal ..
- INNOVATIVE APPROACHES TO TUBERCULOSIS CONTROLRichard Chaisson; Fiscal Year: 2009..We will randomize 220 patients to receive moxi alone for 6 months vs. ofloxacin/EMB for 6 months, with outcomes of safety, tolerablility and effectiveness...
- Targeted Genetic Modifications of Chlamydia TrachomatisROBERT DE MARS; Fiscal Year: 2004..A cloned mutant gyr A gene that renders Ct resistant to ofloxacin (OFX) will be transferred into sensitive Ct and resistant transformants will be isolated by selection with OFX...
- Mechanisms of adverse host responses to antibioticsMichael Court; Fiscal Year: 2006..sparfloxacin) compared with 3 fluoroquinolones less commonly associated with these side effects (ciprofloxacin, ofloxacin, and norfloxacin) ...
- HAIR ANALYSIS TO MONITOR DRUG ABUSE TREATMENTSDiana Wilkins; Fiscal Year: 2001..or methadone), drugs of abuse (morphine, heroin) and marker substances (phenazopyridine or ofloxacin) in hair...
- Novel Targets for Treatment of Pseudomonas aeruginosaPhilip Lister; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Artificial Cornea Based on Photolithographically Patterned, Biomimetic HydrogelsChristopher N Ta; Fiscal Year: 2010..3. Determine the skirt design for optimal stromal tissue integration by evaluating in vitro and in vivo stromal wound healing within photolithographically patterned, microperforated hydrogel arrays. ..
- Mycoplasma Genitalium and Pelvic Inflammatory DiseaseCatherine Haggerty; Fiscal Year: 2007..Exploring the role of M. genitalium in PID is imperative to optimize diagnosis and treatment and prevent reproductive morbidity among women with nongonococcal/nonchlamydial PID. ..
- Infection, Inflammation and PreeclampsiaCatherine Haggerty; Fiscal Year: 2009..Finally, cytokine and CRP testing may prove to be effective tools for identifying women at risk for developing preeclampsia. ..
- Alternative endpoints for plague challenge modelsRichard Frothingham; Fiscal Year: 2005..We will use the data generated to refine our hypotheses and to pursue further funding to complete Aim 3. ..
- Strategies to Prevent COPD ExacerbationFernando Martinez; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Duke University Center for Translational ResearchRichard Frothingham; Fiscal Year: 2006....
- Tinidazole for the Treatment of Bacterial VaginosisJane Schwebke; Fiscal Year: 2007..In addition, we will measure vaginal and serum concentrations of drug during treatment and correlate with cure rates, short-term recurrence of BV, and severity of infection. ..
- Multiplex bead-PCR diagnosis for AIDS diarrheaEric Houpt; Fiscal Year: 2007..Finally, syndrome-based multiplex diagnosis is the platform of the future for clinical microbiology, and if this assay works on stool it should work on sputum, blood, or spinal fluid. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Topical Antibiotics to Prevent Lyme DiseaseGary Wormser; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Targeted DNA extraction for Tuberculosis PCR from sputumEric Houpt; Fiscal Year: 2007..The most sensitive procedure will be taken in Phase II and adapted to high-throughput DNA extraction platforms and compared against the standard E- MTD assay. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Mitochondrial Genomics and Peripheral Neuropathy during HIV TherapyTodd Hulgan; Fiscal Year: 2008..Results from this study will also advance the field of "mitochondrial medicine", having broad application across other scientific disciplines and for other human diseases. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Impact of Medicaid Policy on cardiovascular drug use and clinical outcomesMichael A Fischer; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Innate Immunity and exacerbations of COPDSanjay Sethi; Fiscal Year: 2009..The overall goal of this research is to identify specific aspects of the innate defense of the lung that determine the frequency of exacerbations in COPD that will serve as potential therapeutic targets to reduce exacerbations. ..
- Mouse Strain dependent innate resistance to intestinal amebiasisEric Houpt; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- Hospital-Acquired Infections in the ElderlyKeith Kaye; Fiscal Year: 2008..The risk factor identified for SSI and MDRB and the impact of SSI and MDRB on health outcomes will be used to design and implement future preventive interventions. ..
- Mucosal immune regulation in murine amebic colitisEric Houpt; Fiscal Year: 2007..The comprehensive approach in training and research laid out in this research proposal will guide the applicant towards his goal of being an independent investigator in immunoparasitology. ..
- Pain Medication Use & Risk Factors for Opioid DependenceDaniel Solomon; Fiscal Year: 2004..Our goal is to use the results of the proposed research to inform a future intervention to improve opioid prescribing within this large pharmacy benefits program. ..
- Microporidiosis in AIDSELIZABETH DIDIER; Fiscal Year: 2004..This model will provide a better understanding of how the immune response functions to control microsporidia that replicate in different sites within a host cell. ..
- Optimizing dosing to prevent antibiotic resistanceMartin Evans; Fiscal Year: 2005..We believe understanding the mechanisms underlying resistance will enhance our ability to design alternative dosing strategies to effect clinical cure. ..
- Therapy and Prevention for Bacterial VaginosisJane Schwebke; Fiscal Year: 2006..We will also utilize specimens from these prospective studies to further study the association of Mobiluncus, an organism strongly associated with BV using sensitive PCR technology. ..
- Randomized Controlled Testing of Osteoporosis EducationDaniel Solomon; Fiscal Year: 2006..A multi-disciplinary Training Advisory Board will review the applicants progress regularly to ensure that the proposed training goals are met. ..
- Control of Trichomoniasis -A Paradigm for STD ControlJane Schwebke; Fiscal Year: 2006..vaginalis, to examine strain differences using PFGE, and to examine the prevalence of resistance strains and their potential contribution to treatment failure. ..
- Oxidant Stress and Antioxidants during HIV TherapyTodd Hulgan; Fiscal Year: 2007..The candidate's long-term goal is to develop into an independent clinical investigator in this field of study. ..
- Real-time PCR diagnostic kit for Giardia and CryptosporidiumEric Houpt; Fiscal Year: 2006..A Phase II application is anticipated to validate the final diagnostic test product against immunoassay for an FDA 501 (k) medical device application. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Why is Cardiac Risk Increased in Rheumatiod ArthritisDaniel Solomon; Fiscal Year: 2002..ability to control for known cardiovascular risk factors, the extensive medication information allowing for us to explore key hypotheses regarding corticosteroid exposure, and the attempt to simultaneously control for disease severity ..
- HAEMOPHILUS ANTIGEN REGULATION OF INFLAMMATION IN COPDSanjay Sethi; Fiscal Year: 2003..Identification of the integral bacterial and host components that contribute to immune-mediated inflammation in COPD will ultimately lead to novel therapeutic strategies to alter disease progression and improve outcome in COPD. ..
- Minimizing Antibiotic Resistance in Colorado (MARC)Ralph Gonzales; Fiscal Year: 2004..pneumoniae infections in and outside the intervention communities. Specific Aim IIIC: Conduct a net-cost analysis of the different levels of community education. ..
- Concordance Rates of Mobiluncus Among Sexual PartnersJane Schwebke; Fiscal Year: 2004..Our hypothesis is that Mobiluncus curtisii is important in the pathogenesis of BV and high concordance rates among sexual partners will be found suggesting sexual transmission. ..
- EVALUATION OF NIKKOMYCIN Z PHARMACOLOGY FOR TREATMENT OF UNCOMPLICATED COCCIDIODEDavid Nix; Fiscal Year: 2009..By carrying out the proposed work, the investigators will resume the clinical development of nikkomycin Z as a potentially curative therapy for coccidioidomycosis so that it may become a candidate for final commercial development. ..
- Human Cellular Immune Responses to LeptospiraGary Klimpel; Fiscal Year: 2009..Learning how Leptospira interact with the human immune system will lead us to understand the pathogenesis of leptospirosis and how to develop vaccines and strategies to control the associated pathology. ..
- IMMUNOLOGY AND MUCOSAL DEFENSE TRAINING PROGRAMGary Klimpel; Fiscal Year: 2004..The Program Director is Peter Ernst, DVM, PhD, Professor of Pediatrics and Senior Scientist, Sealy Center for Molecular Sciences, UTMB. The Co-director is Gary Klimpel. PhD, Professor of Microbiology and Immunology. ..
- Improving Antibiotic Use in Acute Care SettingsRalph Gonzales; Fiscal Year: 2006..Specific Aim 2: To evaluate the impact of a rapid diagnostic test for c-reactive protein on antibiotic use for adults with acute cough illness when added to a multidimensional intervention. ..
- Osteoporosis in Women with Rheumatoid ArthritisDaniel Solomon; Fiscal Year: 2006..This epidemiologic data will inform future trials of osteoporosis treatments among patients with RA. As well, the study cohort will comprise one of the largest RA registries with an explicit plan to examine osteoporosis. ..
- Tularemia and the Human Innate Immune ResponseGary Klimpel; Fiscal Year: 2009..abstract_text> ..
- BACTERIA INDUCED CYTOKINE PRODUCTION IN THE GUTGary Klimpel; Fiscal Year: 2001....
- Damage signaling from irradiated to non-irradiated cellsEDOUARD AZZAM; Fiscal Year: 2004..They are also relevant to diagnostic and therapeutic nuclear medicine where radionuclides are being investigated to detect various diseases and treat cancer. ..
- Optimal Strategies for PID Prevention and ManagementKenneth Smith; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..