- Mechanisms of resistance to quinolones
George A Jacoby
Lahey Clinic, Burlington, Massachusetts 01805, USA
Clin Infect Dis 41:S120-6. 2005
..Resistance to quinolones can also be mediated by plasmids that produce the Qnr protein, which protects the quinolone targets from ..
- Concurrent use of indacaterol plus tiotropium in patients with COPD provides superior bronchodilation compared with tiotropium alone: a randomised, double-blind comparison
Donald A Mahler
Section of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, Dartmouth Medical School, Hanover, New Hampshire, USA
Thorax 67:781-8. 2012
..The authors investigated the approach of dual bronchodilation using indacaterol, a once-daily long-acting β(2) agonist, and the long-acting muscarinic antagonist tiotropium, compared with tiotropium alone...
- Once-daily bronchodilators for chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: indacaterol versus tiotropium
James F Donohue
University of North Carolina, 4125 Bioinformatics Building, 130 Mason Farm Road, CB 7020, Chapel Hill, NC, USA
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 182:155-62. 2010
..Indacaterol is the first once-daily, long-acting inhaled beta(2)-agonist bronchodilator studied in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)...
- Quorum sensing and environmental adaptation in Pseudomonas aeruginosa: a tale of regulatory networks and multifunctional signal molecules
Centre for Biomolecular Sciences, University of Nottingham, United Kingdom
Curr Opin Microbiol 12:182-91. 2009
- Quinolone signaling in the cell-to-cell communication system of Pseudomonas aeruginosa
E C Pesci
Department of Microbiology, East Carolina University School of Medicine, Greenville, NC 27858, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 96:11229-34. 1999
..aeruginosa cell-to-cell signaling is not restricted to acyl-homoserine lactones...
- Efficacy of a new once-daily long-acting inhaled beta2-agonist indacaterol versus twice-daily formoterol in COPD
Department of Respiratory Diseases, Aarhus University Hospital, Aarhus, Denmark
Thorax 65:473-9. 2010
..In previous studies, indacaterol provided 24 h bronchodilation on once-daily dosing with a fast onset of action. This study compared the efficacy and safety of indacaterol with the twice-daily LABA formoterol and placebo over 1 year...
- Once-daily indacaterol versus twice-daily salmeterol for COPD: a placebo-controlled comparison
Pulmonary Division, Internal Medicine, University Hospital, Mainz, Germany
Eur Respir J 37:273-9. 2011
..Indacaterol should prove a useful additional treatment for patients with COPD...
- Plasmid-mediated quinolone resistance: a multifaceted threat
Department of Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases, Hadassah Ein Kerem, Jerusalem 91120, Israel
Clin Microbiol Rev 22:664-89. 2009
..These proteins reduce susceptibility to quinolones by protecting the complex of DNA and DNA gyrase or topoisomerase IV enzymes from the inhibitory effect of ..
- The worldwide emergence of plasmid-mediated quinolone resistance
Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA 02114 2696, USA
Lancet Infect Dis 6:629-40. 2006
..develops in exquisitely susceptible organisms, or for the very strong association between resistance to quinolones and to other agents...
- DNA gyrase, topoisomerase IV, and the 4-quinolones
Public Health Research Institute, New York, New York 10016, USA
Microbiol Mol Biol Rev 61:377-92. 1997
..Moreover, topoisomerase IV is a target of the 4-quinolones, antibacterial agents that had previously been thought to target only gyrase...
- Functions required for extracellular quinolone signaling by Pseudomonas aeruginosa
Larry A Gallagher
Department of Genome Sciences, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington 98195, USA
J Bacteriol 184:6472-80. 2002
..Others of the pleiotropic phenazine-minus mutations appear to inactivate novel components of the quorum-sensing regulatory network, including one regulator (np20) previously shown to be required for virulence in neutropenic mice...
- Blinded 12-week comparison of once-daily indacaterol and tiotropium in COPD
Pulmonary Department, Mainz University Hospital, Langenbeckstrasse 1, Mainz, D 55131, Germany
Eur Respir J 38:797-803. 2011
..Both bronchodilators demonstrated spirometric efficacy. The two treatments were well tolerated with similar adverse event profiles. Compared with tiotropium, indacaterol provided significantly greater improvements in clinical outcomes...
- Efficacy of once-daily indacaterol 75 μg relative to alternative bronchodilators in COPD: a study level and a patient level network meta-analysis
Mapi Consultancy, Boston, MA, USA
BMC Pulm Med 12:29. 2012
- Effect of VX-770 in persons with cystic fibrosis and the G551D-CFTR mutation
Frank J Accurso
University of Colorado Denver and Children s Hospital, Aurora, CO 80045, USA
N Engl J Med 363:1991-2003. 2010
..VX-770, a CFTR potentiator, has been shown to increase the activity of wild-type and defective cell-surface CFTR in vitro...
- Comparison of indacaterol with tiotropium or twice-daily long-acting β -agonists for stable COPD: a systematic review
Gustavo J Rodrigo
Departamento de Emergencia, Hospital Central de las Fuerzas Armadas, Montevideo, 11300 Uruguay
Chest 142:1104-10. 2012
..Bronchodilators are central to the symptomatic management of patients with COPD.Previous data have shown that inhaled indacaterol improved numerous clinical outcomes over placebo...
- Cellular characterization of a novel focal adhesion kinase inhibitor
Jill K Slack-Davis
Department of Microbiology and Cancer Center, Health Sciences System, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, Virginia 22908, USA
J Biol Chem 282:14845-52. 2007
- Effect of indacaterol on exercise endurance and lung hyperinflation in COPD
Denis E O'Donnell
Queen s University and Kingston General Hospital, Kingston, Ontario K7L 2V7, Canada
Respir Med 105:1030-6. 2011
..This study investigated the effect of indacaterol on exercise endurance, and on lung hyperinflation during exercise and at rest in patients with moderate-to-severe COPD...
- Long-term safety and efficacy of indacaterol, a long-acting β₂-agonist, in subjects with COPD: a randomized, placebo-controlled study
Kenneth R Chapman
Asthma and Airway Centre, University Health Network, Toronto Western Hospital, Toronto, ON, Canada
Chest 140:68-75. 2011
..Indacaterol is an inhaled, long-acting β(2)-agonist providing 24-h bronchodilation with once-daily dosing in patients with COPD...
- QVA149 demonstrates superior bronchodilation compared with indacaterol or placebo in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease
Jan A van Noord
Department of Respiratory Diseases, Atrium Medisch Centrum, Heerlen, The Netherlands
Thorax 65:1086-91. 2010
- Indacaterol add-on therapy improves lung function, exercise capacity and life quality of COPD patients
R M Mroz
Department of Lung Diseases, Medical University of Bialystok, Zurawia 14, Bialystok, Poland
Adv Exp Med Biol 756:23-8. 2013
..The patients' quality of life also changed favorably in the indacaterol treatment arm. We conclude that the add-on therapy with indacaterol exerts positive effects in COPD patients...
- Efficacy and tolerability of indacaterol 75 μg once daily in patients aged ≥40 years with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: results from 2 double-blind, placebo-controlled 12-week studies
Edward M Kerwin
Clinical Research Institute of Southern Oregon PC, Medford, Oregon 97504, USA
Clin Ther 33:1974-84. 2011
- Type IIA topoisomerase inhibition by a new class of antibacterial agents
Benjamin D Bax
Molecular Discovery Research, GlaxoSmithKline, Medicines Research Centre, Gunnels Wood Road, Stevenage, Hertfordshire, SG1 2NY, UK
Nature 466:935-40. 2010
..This work provides new insights into the mechanism of topoisomerase action and a platform for structure-based drug design of a new class of antibacterial agents against a clinically proven, but conformationally flexible, enzyme class...
- Structural insight into the quinolone-DNA cleavage complex of type IIA topoisomerases
Randall Division of Cell and Molecular Biophysics, King s College London, University of London, London, UK
Nat Struct Mol Biol 16:667-9. 2009
..These structures reveal two drug molecules intercalated at the highly bent DNA gate and help explain antibacterial quinolone action and resistance...
- Structural basis of quinolone inhibition of type IIA topoisomerases and target-mediated resistance
Platform Technology and Science, GlaxoSmithKline, Medicines Research Centre, Stevenage, Hertfordshire, UK
Nat Struct Mol Biol 17:1152-3. 2010
..This provides a molecular basis for the quinolone inhibition mechanism, resistance mutations and invariant quinolone antibacterial structural features...
- qnrD, a novel gene conferring transferable quinolone resistance in Salmonella enterica serovar Kentucky and Bovismorbificans strains of human origin
L M Cavaco
Research Group for Antimicrobial Resistance and Molecular Epidemiology, National Food Institute, Technical University of Denmark, Copenhagen V
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 53:603-8. 2009
..A phylogenetic analysis of all known qnr sequences was performed and showed that qnrD was more closely related to the qnrB variants but formed an independent cluster. To our knowledge, this is the first description of this qnrD gene...
- New plasmid-mediated quinolone resistance gene, qnrC, found in a clinical isolate of Proteus mirabilis
Institute of Antibiotics, Huashan Hospital, Fudan University, 12 M Wulumuqi Rd, Shanghai 200040, People s Republic of China
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 53:1892-7. 2009
..qnrC could not be detected by PCR, however, in 2,020 strains of Enterobacteriaceae. A new quinolone resistance gene, qnrC, was thus characterized from plasmid pHS10 carried by a clinical isolate of P. mirabilis...
- Indacaterol once-daily provides superior efficacy to salmeterol twice-daily in COPD: a 12-week study
Pulmonary Department, Mainz University Hospital, Mainz, Germany
Respir Med 105:719-26. 2011
..Indacaterol is a novel, inhaled once-daily ultra-long-acting β(2)-agonist for the treatment of COPD...
- Efficacy and safety of indacaterol 150 microg once-daily in COPD: a double-blind, randomised, 12-week study
S Carolina Pharmaceutical Research, Spartanburg, SC, USA
BMC Pulm Med 10:11. 2010
..This 12-week, double-blind study compared the efficacy, safety, and tolerability of indacaterol to that of placebo in patients with moderate-to-severe COPD...
- Dovitinib induces apoptosis and overcomes sorafenib resistance in hepatocellular carcinoma through SHP-1-mediated inhibition of STAT3
Wei Tien Tai
Department of Medical Research, National Taiwan University Hospital, Chung Shan S Rd, Taipei 100, Taiwan
Mol Cancer Ther 11:452-63. 2012
..In conclusion, dovitinib induces significant apoptosis in HCC cells and sorafenib-resistant cells via SHP-1-mediated inhibition of STAT3...
- Characterization of the bronchodilatory dose response to indacaterol in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease using model-based approaches
Novartis Pharma AG, Basel, Switzerland
Respir Res 12:54. 2011
..We considered alternative methods of analysis...
- The Pseudomonas aeruginosa 4-quinolone signal molecules HHQ and PQS play multifunctional roles in quorum sensing and iron entrapment
Stephen P Diggle
Institute of Infection, Immunity and Inflammation, Centre for Biomolecular Sciences, University Park, University of Nottingham, Nottingham NG7 2RD, United Kingdom
Chem Biol 14:87-96. 2007
..Biophysical analysis revealed that 2-alkyl-3-hydroxy-4-quinolones form complexes with iron(III) at physiological pH...
- Adjunctive treatment with a dopamine partial agonist, aripiprazole, for antipsychotic-induced hyperprolactinemia: a placebo-controlled trial
Joo Cheol Shim
Clinical Trial Center, Department of Psychiatry and Clinical Pharmacology, Busan Paik Hospital, Inje University, Busan 614 735, Republic of Korea
Am J Psychiatry 164:1404-10. 2007
..The authors investigated the effect of adjunctive treatment with aripiprazole on hyperprolactinemia and psychopathology in patients with schizophrenia maintained with haloperidol...
- Unexpected occurrence of plasmid-mediated quinolone resistance determinants in environmental Aeromonas spp
Institut Nationale de la Santé et de la Recherche Médicale Unité 914, Le Kremlin Bicetre, France
Emerg Infect Dis 14:231-7. 2008
..The qnrS2 gene was located on IncU-type plasmids in both isolates, which resulted in increased MIC values of quinolones and fluoroquinolones, once they were transferred into Escherichia coli. The qnrS2 gene identified in A...
- Safety of indacaterol in the treatment of patients with COPD
James F Donohue
University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC 27599, USA
Int J Chron Obstruct Pulmon Dis 6:477-92. 2011
..Pooled data were analyzed to evaluate the safety and tolerability of indacaterol, a once-daily inhaled long-acting β(2)-agonist for chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)...
- Multiplex PCR for detection of plasmid-mediated quinolone resistance qnr genes in ESBL-producing enterobacterial isolates
Service de Bacteriologie Virologie, Hopital de Bicetre, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, Faculte de Medecine Paris Sud, Universite Paris XI, 78, rue du General Leclerc, 94275 K Bicêtre, France
J Antimicrob Chemother 60:394-7. 2007
..To develop a rapid and reliable single-tube-based PCR technique for detecting simultaneously the plasmid-mediated quinolone resistance qnrA, qnrB and qnrS genes...
- Regulation of Pseudomonas quinolone signal synthesis in Pseudomonas aeruginosa
Dana S Wade
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, East Carolina University School of Medicine, BT 132, 600 Moye Blvd, Greenville, NC 27834, USA
J Bacteriol 187:4372-80. 2005
..These results suggest that a regulatory chain occurs where pqsR is under the control of LasR and RhlR and where PqsR in turn controls pqsABCDE, which is required for the production of PQS...
- Mechanisms of resistance to quinolones: target alterations, decreased accumulation and DNA gyrase protection
Department of Microbiology, Institut Clinic Infeccions i Immunologia, Hospital Clinic, C Villarroel 170, 08036 Barcelona, Spain
J Antimicrob Chemother 51:1109-17. 2003
b>Quinolones are broad-spectrum antibacterial agents, commonly used in both clinical and veterinary medicine. Their extensive use has resulted in bacteria rapidly developing resistance to these agents...
- In vivo target modulation and biological activity of CHIR-258, a multitargeted growth factor receptor kinase inhibitor, in colon cancer models
Sang Hoon Lee
Department of Pharmacology, Chiron Corp, Emeryville, California, USA
Clin Cancer Res 11:3633-41. 2005
..To evaluate the therapeutic and biological effects of CHIR-258, an orally bioavailable, potent inhibitor of class III-V receptor tyrosine kinases, in colon cancer models...
- Quinolones: from antibiotics to autoinducers
School of Molecular Medical Sciences, Centre for Biomolecular Sciences, University Park, University of Nottingham, Nottingham, UK
FEMS Microbiol Rev 35:247-74. 2011
..Pseudomonas aeruginosa and related bacteria produce a number of 2-alkyl-4(1H)-quinolones, some of which exhibit antimicrobial activity...
- Quinolones: action and resistance updated
Public Health Research Institute, New Jersey Medical School, UMDNJ, 225 Warren Street, Newark, NJ 07103, USA
Curr Top Med Chem 9:981-98. 2009
The quinolones trap DNA gyrase and DNA topoisomerase IV on DNA as complexes in which the DNA is broken but constrained by protein...
- Electrospray/mass spectrometric identification and analysis of 4-hydroxy-2-alkylquinolines (HAQs) produced by Pseudomonas aeruginosa
INRS Institut Armand Frappier, Laval, Quebec, Canada
J Am Soc Mass Spectrom 15:862-9. 2004
..aeruginosa, and provides insight into N-oxides biosynthesis and confirm the hypothesis that N-oxides are the precursors of compounds from Series 6 and 7...
- MvfR, a key Pseudomonas aeruginosa pathogenicity LTTR-class regulatory protein, has dual ligands
Department of Surgery, Harvard Medical School, Massachusetts General Hospital, USA
Mol Microbiol 62:1689-99. 2006
..These results uncover a novel biological role for HHQ; and provide novel insights on MvfR activation that may aid in the development of therapies that prevent or treat P. aeruginosa infections in humans...
- Indacaterol once-daily is equally effective dosed in the evening or morning in COPD
Pulmonary Research Institute, Hospital Grosshansdorf, Grosshansdorf, Germany
Respir Med 104:1869-76. 2010
..05); and the % of days able to perform usual activities (by 6.7 and 7.8 points; p < 0.05). Indacaterol provided 24-h bronchodilation and improvement in symptoms regardless of whether taken regularly in the morning or evening...
- Phase I/II and pharmacodynamic study of dovitinib (TKI258), an inhibitor of fibroblast growth factor receptors and VEGF receptors, in patients with advanced melanoma
Kevin B Kim
Department of Melanoma Medical Oncology, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, USA
Clin Cancer Res 17:7451-61. 2011
..This phase I/II dose-escalation study was conducted to evaluate the safety, pharmacodynamics, and preliminary efficacy of dovitinib in the treatment of advanced melanoma...
- Prevalence and dissemination of oqxAB in Escherichia coli isolates from animals, farmworkers, and the environment
College of Veterinary Medicine, National Reference Laboratory of Veterinary Drug Residues SCAU, South China Agricultural University, Guangzhou 510642, China
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 54:4219-24. 2010
..Transconjugants carrying oqxAB showed 4- to 16-fold increases in the MICs of quinolones, 16- to 64-fold increases in the MICs of quinoxalines, 8- to 32-fold increases in the MICs of chloramphenicol ..
- Efficacy and safety of indacaterol 150 and 300 µg in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease patients from six Asian areas including Japan: a 12-week, placebo-controlled study
Nagata Hospital, Fukuoka, Japan
Respirology 17:379-89. 2012
..This study was primarily designed to obtain the regulatory approval of indacaterol in Japan...
- Evaluation of clinical, laboratory, and therapeutic features of 145 tularemia cases: the role of quinolones in oropharyngeal tularemia
Department of Clinical Bacteriology and Infectious Diseases, Medical Faculty, Kocaeli University, Kocaeli, Turkey
APMIS 116:66-73. 2008
..These results suggest that antimicrobial treatment should be started early, and quinolones such as moxifloxacin and ciprofloxacin seem to be new alternatives in the treatment of oropharyngeal tularemia.
- Correlating changes in lung function with patient outcomes in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: a pooled analysis
Paul W Jones
Division of Clinical Science, St George s, University of London, London, UK
Respir Res 12:161. 2011
..We examined whether changes in trough forced expiratory volume in 1 second (FEV(1)) are correlated with changes in patient-reported outcomes...
- Acute effects of indacaterol on lung hyperinflation in moderate COPD: a comparison with tiotropium
Unità Operativa Complessa di Pneumologia, Azienda Ospedaliera Universitaria Integrata, Verona, Italy
Respir Med 106:84-90. 2012
..Evidence has been provided that high-dose indacaterol (300 μg) can reduce lung hyperinflation in moderate-to-severe chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)...
- Efficacy of once-daily indacaterol relative to alternative bronchodilators in COPD: a patient-level mixed treatment comparison
Mapi Consultancy, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Value Health 15:524-33. 2012
..Indacaterol trial evidence was synthesized to provide coherent estimates of indacaterol 150 μg and indacaterol 300 μg relative to formoterol, salmeterol, and tiotropium...
- Insight into the mechanism of laquinimod action
Department of Neuropathology, University Medical Center, Georg August University, Gottingen, Germany
J Neurol Sci 306:173-9. 2011
..In conclusion, treatment with laquinimod is effective in reducing inflammation, demyelination and axonal damage...
- Mechanism of plasmid-mediated quinolone resistance
John H Tran
Infectious Disease Department, Lahey Clinic, Burlington, MA 01805, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 99:5638-42. 2002
b>Quinolones are potent antibacterial agents that specifically target bacterial DNA gyrase and topoisomerase IV. Widespread use of these agents has contributed to the rise of bacterial quinolone resistance...
- Overexpression of the MexEF-OprN multidrug efflux system affects cell-to-cell signaling in Pseudomonas aeruginosa
Department of Genetics and Microbiology, Centre Medical Universitaire, CH 1211 Geneva 4, Switzerland
J Bacteriol 183:5213-22. 2001
..Transcription of an rhlAB-lacZ fusion could be partially restored by the addition of synthetic C4-HSL and Pseudomonas quinolone signal (PQS). It is proposed that the MexEF-OprN efflux pump affects intracellular PQS levels...
- Cardiometabolic risk of second-generation antipsychotic medications during first-time use in children and adolescents
Christoph U Correll
Zucker Hillside Hospital, Psychiatry Research, North Shore Long Island Jewish Health System, 75 59 263rd St, Glen Oaks, NY 11004, USA
JAMA 302:1765-73. 2009
..Cardiometabolic effects of second-generation antipsychotic medications are concerning but have not been sufficiently studied in pediatric and adolescent patients naive to antipsychotic medication...
- Origin of plasmid-mediated quinolone resistance determinant QnrA
Service de Bacteriologie Virologie, Hopital de Bicetre, 78, rue du General Leclerc, 94275 Le Kremlin Bicetre, France
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 49:3523-5. 2005
Plasmid-mediated resistance to quinolones is increasingly reported in studies of Enterobacteriaceae. Using a PCR-based strategy, a series of gram-negative species were screened for qnrA-like genes...
- High prevalence of plasmid-mediated quinolone resistance determinants qnr, aac(6')-Ib-cr, and qepA among ceftiofur-resistant Enterobacteriaceae isolates from companion and food-producing animals
College of Veterinary Medicine, National Reference Laboratory of Veterinary Drug Residues, South China Agricultural University, Guangzhou
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 53:519-24. 2009
..PMQR determinants are highly prevalent in ceftiofur-resistant Enterobacteriaceae strains isolated from animals in China. This is the first report of the occurrence of PMQR determinants among isolates from companion animals...
- Dueling quorum sensing systems in Pseudomonas aeruginosa control the production of the Pseudomonas quinolone signal (PQS)
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, The Brody School of Medicine, East Carolina University, Greenville, NC 27858, USA
FEMS Microbiol Lett 230:27-34. 2004
..These data are an important early step toward understanding the regulation of PQS synthesis and the role of PQS in P. aeruginosa intercellular signaling...
- Indacaterol provides 24-hour bronchodilation in COPD: a placebo-controlled blinded comparison with tiotropium
Novartis Pharmaceuticals Inc, One Health Plaza, East Hanover, NJ 07936 1080, USA
Respir Res 11:135. 2010
..This randomized, double-blind study compared the bronchodilator efficacy of indacaterol with that of placebo and tiotropium in patients with moderate-to-severe COPD...
- Emergence of plasmid-mediated resistance to quinolones in Enterobacteriaceae
Service de Bacteriologie Virologie, Hopital de Bicetre, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, Faculte de Medecine Paris Sud, Universite Paris Sud, 78 rue du General Leclerc, 94275, K Bicêtre, France
J Antimicrob Chemother 56:463-9. 2005
..Qnr proteins protect DNA from quinolone binding and compromise the efficacy of quinolones such as nalidixic acid...
- Effect of indacaterol on dynamic lung hyperinflation and breathlessness in hyperinflated patients with COPD
Kai Michael Beeh
insaf Respiratory Research Institute, D 65187 Wiesbaden, Germany
COPD 8:340-5. 2011
..In conclusion, indacaterol 300 μg administered once-daily showed a clinically relevant increase in IC after 14 days of treatment, reflecting a reduction in dynamic hyperinflation...
- Cardiovascular safety of QVA149, a combination of Indacaterol and NVA237, in COPD patients
Boudewijn Van de Maele
AZ Sint Jan Brugge Oostende AV, Campus H Serruys, Oostende, Belgium
COPD 7:418-27. 2010
..Once-daily QVA149 was well tolerated in COPD patients with a cardiovascular safety profile and overall adverse event rates similar to placebo...
- Transcriptomic analysis reveals a global alkyl-quinolone-independent regulatory role for PqsE in facilitating the environmental adaptation of Pseudomonas aeruginosa to plant and animal hosts
School of Molecular Medical Sciences, Centre for Biomolecular Sciences, University Park, University of Nottingham, Nottingham NG7 2RD, UK
Environ Microbiol 12:1659-73. 2010
..Taken together these data reveal that PqsE is a key regulator within the QS circuitry facilitating the environmental adaptation of P. aeruginosa...
- Cardio- and cerebrovascular safety of indacaterol vs formoterol, salmeterol, tiotropium and placebo in COPD
Medical Department I, Klinikum Fürth, Jakob Henle Str 1, D 90766 Fürth, Germany
Respir Med 105:571-9. 2011
..As COPD patients commonly suffer cardio- and cerebrovascular (CCV) co-morbidities, our purpose was to establish the CCV safety profile of indacaterol, a novel, inhaled, long-acting β(2)-agonist for COPD...
- Efficacy of indacaterol 75 μg versus fixed-dose combinations of formoterol-budesonide or salmeterol-fluticasone for COPD: a network meta-analysis
Mapi Consultancy, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Int J Chron Obstruct Pulmon Dis 7:415-20. 2012
- Effect of long-acting beta-agonists on the frequency of COPD exacerbations: a meta-analysis
Department of Respiratory Medicine, Tongji Hospital, Tongji Medical College, Huazhong University of Science and Technology, Wuhan, China
J Clin Pharm Ther 37:204-11. 2012
..However, the evidence that long-acting beta-agonists alone can reduce the rate of COPD exacerbations is not conclusive. This meta-analysis was performed to evaluate their effect on the frequency of exacerbations...
- Bronchodilator efficacy and safety of indacaterol 150 μg once daily in patients with COPD: an analysis of pooled data
Eugene R Bleecker
Center for Genomics and Personalized Medicine Research and Translational Medicine Institute, Wake Forest University Health Sciences, Winston Salem, NC 27157, USA
Int J Chron Obstruct Pulmon Dis 6:431-8. 2011
..As indacaterol is the first once-daily β(2)-agonist to be developed, it is relevant to evaluate its bronchodilator efficacy, safety, and tolerability...
- Prevalence of mutations within the quinolone resistance-determining region of gyrA, gyrB, parC, and parE and association with antibiotic resistance in quinolone-resistant Salmonella enterica
Deborah J Eaves
Antimicrobial Agents Research Group, Division of Immunity and Infection, University of Birmingham, Birmingham B15 2TT, United Kingdom
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 48:4012-5. 2004
..Although it is counterintuitive, isolates with a mutation in both gyrA and parC were more susceptible to ciprofloxacin than were isolates with a mutation in gyrA alone...
- Laquinimod, a once-daily oral drug in development for the treatment of relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis
Department of Neuropathology, University Medical Center Gottingen, Robert Koch Street 40, 37075 Gottingen, Germany
Expert Rev Clin Pharmacol 5:245-56. 2012
..In conclusion, preclinical studies show that laquinimod's unique mechanisms of action, including its immunomodulatory and CNS-protective effects, translate into clinical benefits in relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis patients...
- Type II NADH dehydrogenase inhibitor 1-hydroxy-2-dodecyl-4(1H)quinolone leads to collapse of mitochondrial inner-membrane potential and ATP depletion in Toxoplasma gondii
San San Lin
Institute of Medical Microbiology, University of Gottingen, Kreuzbergring 57, D 37075 Gottingen, Germany
Eukaryot Cell 8:877-87. 2009
- Evaluation of quinolones for use in detection of determinants of acquired quinolone resistance, including the new transmissible resistance mechanisms qnrA, qnrB, qnrS, and aac(6')Ib-cr, in Escherichia coli and Salmonella enterica and determinations of wil
L M Cavaco
Research Group for Antimicrobial Resistance and Molecular Epidemiology, Department for Microbiology and Risk Assessment, National Food Institute, Technical University of Denmark, Bulowsvej 27, Copenhagen V DK 1790, Denmark
J Clin Microbiol 47:2751-8. 2009
..The aim of this study was to compare the ability of the screening of the different quinolones by disk diffusion assays and MIC determinations to detect fluoroquinolone resistance...
- A placebo-controlled, fixed-dose study of aripiprazole in children and adolescents with irritability associated with autistic disorder
Ronald N Marcus
Bristol Myers Squibb, 5 Research Parkway, Wallingford, CT 06492, USA
J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 48:1110-9. 2009
..To evaluate the short-term efficacy and safety of aripiprazole in the treatment of irritability in children and adolescents with autistic disorder...
- Oral laquinimod in patients with relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis: 36-week double-blind active extension of the multi-centre, randomized, double-blind, parallel-group placebo-controlled study
Department of Neurology, University Vita Salute and Scientific Institute San Raffaele, Milan, Italy
Mult Scler 16:1360-6. 2010
..Laquinimod, an oral novel immunomodulator, was shown to reduce MRI-measured disease activity in relapsing-remitting MS (RRMS) patients...
- Delivery characteristics and patients' handling of two single-dose dry-powder inhalers used in COPD
Kenneth R Chapman
Asthma and Airway Centre, University Health Network, Toronto Western Hospital, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Int J Chron Obstruct Pulmon Dis 6:353-63. 2011
..These are important factors for optimum dose delivery and successful COPD management...
- Comparative efficacy of indacaterol 150 μg and 300 μg versus fixed-dose combinations of formoterol + budesonide or salmeterol + fluticasone for the treatment of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease--a network meta-analysis
Mapi Values, Boston, MA, USA
Int J Chron Obstruct Pulmon Dis 6:329-44. 2011
- In vitro evaluation of IgE-mediated hypersensitivity reactions to quinolones
Research Unit for Allergic Diseases, Malaga, Spain
Allergy 66:247-54. 2011
Hypersensitivity IgE-mediated reactions to quinolones are not easy to diagnose, with skin testing inducing false positive results...
- Aripiprazole: pharmacodynamics of a dopamine partial agonist for the treatment of schizophrenia
Klinik fur Psychiatrie und Psychotherapie, Universitatsklinikum Aachen, RWTH Aachen, Germany
Pharmacopsychiatry 39:S21-5. 2006
..Aripiprazole provides good clinical effectiveness and a favorable profile of safety and tolerability. The special pharmacodynamics of aripiprazole are described herein...
- Potent effects of novel anti-platelet aggregatory cilostamide analogues on recombinant cyclic nucleotide phosphodiesterase isozyme activity
Thrombosis and Vascular Research Laboratory, Otsuka Pharmaceutical Co, Ltd, Tokushima, Japan
Biochem Pharmacol 59:347-56. 2000
..998). These data demonstrated that OPC-33540 is a highly selective and potent PDE3 inhibitor and a useful probe for identification of the intracellular functions of PDE3...
- Reduction of the fitness burden of quinolone resistance in Pseudomonas aeruginosa
Swedish Institute for Infectious Disease Control, Department of Bacteriology, S 171 82 Solna, Sweden
J Antimicrob Chemother 55:22-30. 2005
..We have analysed the effect of quinolone resistance caused by DNA gyrase/topoisomerase IV mutations on bacterial fitness...
- CHIR-258, a novel, multitargeted tyrosine kinase inhibitor for the potential treatment of t(4;14) multiple myeloma
Department of Medical Oncology, University Health Network, Princess Margaret Hospital and McLaughlin Centre of Molecular Medicine, University of Toronto, 620 University Ave, Rm 8 204, Toronto, ON, Canada M5G 2C1
Blood 105:2941-8. 2005
..Finally, therapeutic efficacy of CHIR-258 was demonstrated in a xenograft mouse model of FGFR3 MM. These studies support the clinical evaluation of CHIR-258 in MM...
- HIV-1 resistance patterns to integrase inhibitors in antiretroviral-experienced patients with virological failure on raltegravir-containing regimens
Daniel Da Silva
Laboratoire de Virologie, Bordeaux University Hospital, and EA2968, Universite Victor Segalen, Bordeaux, France
J Antimicrob Chemother 65:1262-9. 2010
..Our aim was to study the in vivo viral genetic pathways for resistance to raltegravir, in antiretroviral-experienced patients with virological failure (VF) on raltegravir-containing regimens...
- Structural insights into the quinolone resistance mechanism of Mycobacterium tuberculosis DNA gyrase
Unité de Dynamique Structurale des Macromolécules, Departement de Biologie Structurale et Chimie, Institut Pasteur, Paris, France
PLoS ONE 5:e12245. 2010
..This interaction provides useful starting points for designing peptide based inhibitors that target DNA gyrase to prevent its binding to DNA...
- Laquinimod interferes with migratory capacity of T cells and reduces IL-17 levels, inflammatory demyelination and acute axonal damage in mice with experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis
Department of Neuropathology, University Medical Center, Georg August University, Gottingen, Germany
J Neuroimmunol 227:133-43. 2010
..Laquinimod might thus protect myelin and axons by decreasing pro-inflammatory cytokines and impairing the migratory capacity of lymphocytes...
- Quinolone resistance-determining region in the DNA gyrase gyrB gene of Escherichia coli
Research Laboratories, Dainippon Pharmaceutical Co, Ltd, Osaka, Japan
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 35:1647-50. 1991
..Type 1 mutants were resistant to all the quinolones tested, while type 2 mutants were resistant to acidic quinolones and were hypersusceptible to amphoteric ..
- Probing the two-gate mechanism of DNA gyrase using cysteine cross-linking
N L Williams
Department of Biochemistry, University of Leicester, U K
Biochemistry 38:13502-11. 1999
..This indicates that passage of DNA through the bottom dimer interface is not essential for this reaction. The mechanistic implications of these results are discussed...
- Resistance mutations in human immunodeficiency virus type 1 integrase selected with elvitegravir confer reduced susceptibility to a wide range of integrase inhibitors
Tibotec BVBA, Mechelen, Belgium
J Virol 82:10366-74. 2008
..These data broaden the understanding of antiviral resistance against integrase inhibitors and may give insight facilitating the discovery of second-generation compounds...
- Integrating indacaterol dose selection in a clinical study in COPD using an adaptive seamless design
Peter J Barnes
Imperial College, London, UK
Pulm Pharmacol Ther 23:165-71. 2010
..This approach was used in a clinical study of indacaterol, a novel once-daily (od) inhaled long-acting beta(2)-adrenoreceptor agonist bronchodilator for the treatment of COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease)...
- qnr Gene nomenclature
Lahey Clinic, Burlington, Massachusetts MA 01805, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 52:2297-9. 2008
- The MexGHI-OpmD multidrug efflux pump controls growth, antibiotic susceptibility and virulence in Pseudomonas aeruginosa via 4-quinolone-dependent cell-to-cell communication
Laboratory of Microbial Interactions, Department of Molecular and Cellular Interactions, Flanders Interuniversity Institute for Biotechnology, Vrije Universiteit Brussel, Building E, room 6 6, Pleinlaan 2, B 1050 Brussels, Belgium
Microbiology 151:1113-25. 2005
..Collectively, these results demonstrate an essential function for the MexGHI-OpmD pump in facilitating cell-to-cell communication, antibiotic susceptibility and promoting virulence and growth in P. aeruginosa...
- Onset of action of indacaterol in patients with COPD: comparison with salbutamol and salmeterol-fluticasone
Csongrád Megyei OnkormányzatMellkasi Betegségek Szakkórháza, Deszk, Hungary
Int J Chron Obstruct Pulmon Dis 5:311-8. 2010
..indacaterol is a novel, inhaled once-daily ultra-long-acting β(2)-agonist for the treatment of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)...
- In vitro and in vivo anticancer activity of novel synthetic makaluvamine analogues
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Division of Clinical Pharmacology, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, AL 35294, USA
Clin Cancer Res 15:3511-8. 2009
- CHIR-258 is efficacious in a newly developed fibroblast growth factor receptor 3-expressing orthotopic multiple myeloma model in mice
Translational Sciences, Chiron Corporation, Emeryville, California, USA
Clin Cancer Res 12:4908-15. 2006
..This study assesses the antimyeloma activity of CHIR-258, a small-molecule inhibitor of multiple receptor tyrosine kinases that is currently in phase I trials, in a newly developed FGFR3-driven preclinical MM animal model...
- Mechanisms of quinolone action and microbial response
Peter M Hawkey
Public Health Laboratory, Heartlands Hospital, Bordesley Green East, Birmingham B5 9SS, UK
J Antimicrob Chemother 51:29-35. 2003
..However, it is conceivable that in the future, horizontal gene transfer may become a more important means of conferring resistance to fluoroquinolones...
- A phase 1-2 study of a farnesyltransferase inhibitor, tipifarnib, combined with idarubicin and cytarabine for patients with newly diagnosed acute myeloid leukemia and high-risk myelodysplastic syndrome
Department of Leukemia, The University of Texas, M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Cancer 117:1236-44. 2011
..The authors conducted a phase 1/2 study of tipifarnib in combination with idarubicin and cytarabine (IA) in 95 patients with previously untreated acute myeloid leukemia (AML) or high-risk myelodysplastic syndrome...
- Quinolones: review of psychiatric and neurological adverse reactions
Ana M Tome
Medical Department, Grupo Tecnimede, Sintra, Portugal
Drug Saf 34:465-88. 2011
b>Quinolones are a class of antibacterial agents for the treatment of several infectious diseases (e.g. urinary and respiratory tract infections)...
- Aripiprazole in autism spectrum disorders and fragile X syndrome
Craig A Erickson
Department of Psychiatry, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, Indiana 46202, USA
Neurotherapeutics 7:258-63. 2010
..However, research to date in this disorder has not focused on this target symptom cluster. An initial pilot study has begun to assess the impact of aripiprazole on irritability in youth with fragile X syndrome...
- Efficacy of indacaterol in the treatment of patients with COPD
Paul W Jones
Division of Clinical Sciences, St George s University of London, London, UK
Prim Care Respir J 20:380-8. 2011
..The safety profile was similar to placebo. Once-daily indacaterol is an effective and beneficial maintenance bronchodilator treatment for patients with moderate-to-severe COPD...
- Aripiprazole protects cortical neurons from glutamate toxicity
CNS Drug Discovery and Development, Otsuka Maryland Medicinal Laboratories, Inc, Rockville, MD 20850, USA
Eur J Pharmacol 651:73-6. 2011
..Further experiments are required to determine the biochemical nature of aripiprazole-induced neuroprotection and whether any such activity might have clinical relevance...
- The antibiotic microcin B17 is a DNA gyrase poison: characterisation of the mode of inhibition
J G Heddle
Department of Biochemistry, University of Leicester, Leicester, LE1 7RH, UK
J Mol Biol 307:1223-34. 2001
..microcin B17 stabilises a gyrase-dependent DNA cleavage complex in a manner reminiscent of quinolones, Ca(2+), or the bacterial toxin CcdB...
- An open-label study of the efficacy and tolerability of aripiprazole for children and adolescents with tic disorders
Hanik K Yoo
Department of Psychiatry, University of Ulsan College of Medicine, Asan Medical Center, Seoul, Korea
J Clin Psychiatry 68:1088-93. 2007
- Aripiprazole in patients with Tourette syndrome
Department of Psychiatry, Albert Ludwigs University, Freiburg, Germany
World J Biol Psychiatry 7:123-5. 2006
..Furthermore, we discuss possible pharmacological mechanisms for the observed effects...
- Differential immune modulatory activity of Pseudomonas aeruginosa quorum-sensing signal molecules
Doreen S W Hooi
School of Pharmacy, University of Nottingham, University Park, NG7 2RD, UK
Infect Immun 72:6463-70. 2004
..aeruginosa, which are detectable endobronchially and may be active at the host/pathogen interface during infection with P. aeruginosa, should the bronchial airway lymphoid tissues prove to be accessible to QSSM...