Genomes and Genes
Summary: A phospholipid-interacting antimalarial drug (ANTIMALARIALS). It is very effective against PLASMODIUM FALCIPARUM with very few side effects.
Publications306 found, 100 shown here
- Pgh1 modulates sensitivity and resistance to multiple antimalarials in Plasmodium falciparumM B Reed
The Walter and Eliza Hall Institute of Medical Research, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Nature 403:906-9. 2000..falciparum, have been linked to chloroquine resistance; Pgh1 has also been implicated in resistance to mefloquine and halofantrine...
- Morphological effects and tegumental alterations induced by mefloquine on schistosomula and adult flukes of Schistosoma mansoniT Manneck
Department of Medical Parasitology and Infection Biology, Swiss Tropical Institute, CH 4002 Basel, Switzerland
Parasitology 137:85-98. 2010..To further strengthen current evidence of the anti-schistosomal properties of mefloquine (MQ), we studied the temporal effect of this compound in vitro and in vivo, and examined alterations on the ..
- Decreasing pfmdr1 copy number in plasmodium falciparum malaria heightens susceptibility to mefloquine, lumefantrine, halofantrine, quinine, and artemisininAmar bir Singh Sidhu
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, New York, Bronx, NY 10461, USA
J Infect Dis 194:528-35. 2006..is spurring intense efforts to implement artemisinin (ART)-based combination therapies for malaria, including mefloquine (MFQ)-artesunate and lumefantrine (LUM)-artemether...
- Decreased in vitro susceptibility of Plasmodium falciparum isolates to artesunate, mefloquine, chloroquine, and quinine in Cambodia from 2001 to 2007Pharath Lim
Institut Pasteur in Cambodia, Molecular Epidemiology Unit, Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 54:2135-42. 2010..Control Program for the routine efficacy monitoring of artemisinin-based combination therapy (ACT) (artesunate-mefloquine and artemether-lumefantrine combinations)...
- Pharmacokinetic-pharmacodynamic modelling of the antimalarial activity of mefloquineM B Hoshen
Department of Biological Chemistry, Institute of Life Sciences, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Israel
Parasitology 123:337-46. 2001..In this report the case of monotherapy by mefloquine is analysed...
- Pyronaridine-artesunate versus mefloquine plus artesunate for malariaRonnatrai Rueangweerayut
Department of Internal Medicine, Mae Sot General Hospital, Tak, Thailand
N Engl J Med 366:1298-309. 2012..Pyronaridine-artesunate is an artemisinin-based combination therapy under evaluation for the treatment of Plasmodium falciparum and P. vivax malaria...
- Mefloquine resistance in Plasmodium falciparum and increased pfmdr1 gene copy numberRic N Price
Department of Cellular and Molecular Medicine Infectious Diseases, St George s Hospital Medical School, London, UK
Lancet 364:438-47. 2004The borders of Thailand harbour the world's most multidrug resistant Plasmodium falciparum parasites. In 1984 mefloquine was introduced as treatment for uncomplicated falciparum malaria, but substantial resistance developed within 6 years...
- Monitoring of in vitro susceptibilities and molecular markers of resistance of Plasmodium falciparum isolates from Thai-Myanmar border to chloroquine, quinine, mefloquine and artesunateWanna Chaijaroenkul
Graduate Program in Biomedical Sciences, Faculty of Allied Health Sciences, Thammasat University, Rangsit, Patumthani 12121, Thailand
Acta Trop 113:190-4. 2010..falciparum isolates to chloroquine (CQ), mefloquine (MQ), quinine (QN) and the artemisinin derivative - artesunate (AS). A total of 26 P...
- Pfmdr1 copy number and arteminisin derivatives combination therapy failure in falciparum malaria in CambodiaPharath Lim
Institut Pasteur in Cambodia, Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Malar J 8:11. 2009The combination of artesunate and mefloquine was introduced as the national first-line treatment for Plasmodium falciparum malaria in Cambodia in 2000...
- Identification and characterization of mefloquine efficacy against JC virus in vitroMargot Brickelmaier
Biogen Idec Inc, 14 Cambridge Center, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02142, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 53:1840-9. 2009..Of the compounds with anti-JCV activities, only mefloquine, an antimalarial agent, has been reported to show sufficiently high penetration into the central nervous system ..
- Artemisinin resistance containment project in Thailand. II: Responses to mefloquine-artesunate combination therapy among falciparum malaria patients in provinces bordering CambodiaWichai Satimai
Center of Excellence for Biomedical and Public Health Informatics BIOPHICS, Faculty of Tropical Medicine, Mahidol University, Bangkok, Thailand
Malar J 11:300. 2012..This study describes the response to artemisinin-based therapy among falciparum malaria patients in the area, using data from the malaria surveillance programmed under the containment project...
- Efficacy and safety of mefloquine, artesunate, mefloquine-artesunate, tribendimidine, and praziquantel in patients with Opisthorchis viverrini: a randomised, exploratory, open-label, phase 2 trialPhonepasong Soukhathammavong
National Institute of Public Health, Ministry of Health, Vientiane, Laos
Lancet Infect Dis 11:110-8. 2011..the only drug available for treatment of Opisthorchis viverrini, although in-vivo studies point to activity of mefloquine, artesunate, and tribendimidine against this liver fluke...
- Efficacy of mefloquine intermittent preventive treatment in pregnancy against Schistosoma haematobium infection in Gabon: a nested randomized controlled assessor-blinded clinical trialArti Basra
Centre de Recherches Médicales de Lambaréné, Universite des Sciences de la Sante, Libreville, Gabon
Clin Infect Dis 56:e68-75. 2013..b>Mefloquine-currently evaluated as a potential alternative to sulfadoxine-pyrimethamine as intermittent preventive treatment ..
- Declining in efficacy of a three-day combination regimen of mefloquine-artesunate in a multi-drug resistance area along the Thai-Myanmar borderKesara Na-Bangchang
Graduate Programme in Biomedical Sciences, Thammasat University, Thailand
Malar J 9:273. 2010Declining in clinical efficacy of artesunate-mefloquine combination has been documented in areas along the eastern border (Thai-Cambodian) of Thailand...
- Mefloquine--an aminoalcohol with promising antischistosomal properties in miceJennifer Keiser
Department of Medical Parasitology and Infection Biology, Swiss Tropical Institute, Basel, Switzerland
PLoS Negl Trop Dis 3:e350. 2009..Here, we report that the antimalarial drug mefloquine possesses promising antischistosomal properties in mice.
- Drug resistant malaria on the Thai-Myanmar and Thai-Cambodian bordersC Wongsrichanalai
Armed Forces Research Institute of Medical Sciences AFRIMS, Bangkok, Thailand
Southeast Asian J Trop Med Public Health 32:41-9. 2001..The introduction of artesunate-mefloquine combination in selected areas along the two borders in 1995 is believed to be one of the multiple factors ..
- The position of mefloquine as a 21st century malaria chemoprophylaxisPatricia Schlagenhauf
University of Zurich Centre for Travel Medicine, Hirschengraben 84, University of Zurich, Switzerland
Malar J 9:357. 2010..Malaria chemoprophylaxis prevents the occurrence of the symptoms of malaria. Travellers to high-risk Plasmodium falciparum endemic areas need an effective chemoprophylaxis...
- Molecular analysis of pfatp6 and pfmdr1 polymorphisms and their association with in vitro sensitivity in Plasmodium falciparum isolates from the Thai-Myanmar borderPapichaya Phompradit
Thailand Center of Excellence on Drug Discovery and Development, Thammasat University, Rangsit Campus, Patumthani 12121, Thailand
Acta Trop 120:130-5. 2011..between pfatp6, pfmdr1 polymorphisms (gene mutation and amplification) and in vitro susceptibility to mefloquine (MQ), artesunate (AS), quinine (QN), and chloroquine (CQ) was investigated in a total of sixty-three Plasmodium ..
- Increased prevalence of the Plasmodium falciparum Pfmdr1 86N genotype among field isolates from Franceville, Gabon after replacement of chloroquine by artemether-lumefantrine and artesunate-mefloquineJean Bernard Lekana-Douki
Unité de Parasitologie Médicale UPARAM, Centre International de Recherches Medicales de Franceville CIRMF, B P 769 Franceville, Gabon
Infect Genet Evol 11:512-7. 2011..was to investigate the molecular impact of widespread implementation of artemether-lumefantrine and artesunate-mefloquine on local parasite population in Franceville, Gabon...
- Population pharmacokinetic assessment of a new regimen of mefloquine used in combination treatment of uncomplicated falciparum malariaElizabeth A Ashley
Shoklo Malaria Research Unit, P O Box 46, Mae Sot, Tak 63110, Thailand
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 50:2281-5. 2006A fixed artesunate-mefloquine combination, comprising three daily doses of 8 mg of mefloquine/kg of body weight and 4 mg of artesunate/kg, has been developed recently...
- Role of pfmdr1 amplification and expression in induction of resistance to artemisinin derivatives in Plasmodium falciparumMarina Chavchich
Australian Army Malaria Institute, Gallipoli Barracks, Enoggera, Australia
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 54:2455-64. 2010..W2, D6, and TM91C235) to AL resulted in decreases in parasite susceptibilities to AL and QHS, as well as to mefloquine, quinine, halofantrine, and lumefantrine...
- Mefloquine pharmacokinetics and mefloquine-artesunate effectiveness in Peruvian patients with uncomplicated Plasmodium falciparum malariaJulie Gutman
Division of Parasitic Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA, USA
Malar J 8:58. 2009..Different brands of mefloquine (MQ) have been reported to be non-bioequivalent; this could result in sub-therapeutic levels of mefloquine with ..
- Therapeutic efficacy and safety of dihydroartemisinin-piperaquine versus artesunate-mefloquine in uncomplicated Plasmodium falciparum malaria in IndiaNicola Gargano
sigma tau Industrie Farmaceutiche Riunite, Pomezia, Italy
Malar J 11:233. 2012..By 2007, the first-line treatment for uncomplicated malaria has been revised to recommend artemisinin-based combination therapy (ACT) for all confirmed P. falciparum cases...
- Absence of nucleotide polymorphism in a Plasmodium vivax multidrug resistance gene after failure of mefloquine prophylaxis in French GuyanaS Picot
Laboratoire de Parasitologie, Mycologie Médicale et Maladies Tropicales, E A 3732, Universite Claude Bernard Lyon I, Lyon 69373, France
Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 99:234-7. 2005..We report on evidence of failure of mefloquine prophylaxis in a French soldier who contracted Plasmodium vivax in French Guyana, South America...
- Discovery of novel targets of quinoline drugs in the human purine binding proteomePaul R Graves
Department of Pharmacology and Cancer Biology, Center for Chemical Biology, Duke University, Durham, North Carolina 27710, USA
Mol Pharmacol 62:1364-72. 2002..Our results show that ALDH1 and QR2 are selective targets of the quinolines and may provide new insights into the mechanism of action of these drugs...
- Identification of resistance of Plasmodium falciparum to artesunate-mefloquine combination in an area along the Thai-Myanmar border: integration of clinico-parasitological response, systemic drug exposure, and in vitro parasite sensitivityKesara Na-Bangchang
International College of Medicine, Thammasat University, Klongluang, Pathumthanee, Thailand
Malar J 12:263. 2013A markedly high failure rate of three-day artesunate-mefloquine was observed in the area along the Thai-Myanmar border.
- Effect of single nucleotide polymorphisms in cytochrome P450 isoenzyme and N-acetyltransferase 2 genes on the metabolism of artemisinin-based combination therapies in malaria patients from Cambodia and TanzaniaEva Maria Staehli Hodel
Swiss Tropical and Public Health Institute, University of Basel, Basel, Switzerland
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 57:950-8. 2013..in 150 Tanzanian patients treated with artemether-lumefantrine, 64 Cambodian patients treated with artesunate-mefloquine, and 61 Cambodian patients treated with dihydroartemisinin-piperaquine...
- Tolerability of mefloquine intermittent preventive treatment for malaria in HIV-infected pregnant women in BeninLise Denoeud-Ndam
UMR 216, Institut de Recherche pour le Développement and Université Paris Descartes, Paris, France
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 61:64-72. 2012To investigate the tolerability of mefloquine intermittent preventive treatment (MQ IPTp) for malaria in HIV-infected pregnant women compared with HIV-negative women.
- Pregnancy and fetal outcomes after exposure to mefloquine in the pre- and periconception period and during pregnancyPatricia Schlagenhauf
Division of Epidemiology and Communicable Diseases, University of Zurich Centre for Travel Medicine, Institute for Social and Preventive Medicine, Zurich, Switzerland
Clin Infect Dis 54:e124-31. 2012..Pregnant women who travel to malarious areas and their clinicians need data on the safety of malaria chemoprophylaxis...
- Effect of rifampin on plasma concentrations of mefloquine in healthy volunteersW Ridtitid
Department of Pharmacology, Faculty of Science, Prince of Songkla University, Hat Yai, Thailand
J Pharm Pharmacol 52:1265-9. 2000b>Mefloquine is a 4-quinolinemethanol compound structurally related to quinine...
- New fixed-dose artesunate-mefloquine formulation against multidrug-resistant Plasmodium falciparum in adults: a comparative phase IIb safety and pharmacokinetic study with standard-dose nonfixed artesunate plus mefloquineS Krudsood
Hospital for Tropical Disease, Bangkok, Thailand
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 54:3730-7. 2010A new fixed-dose artesunate (AS)-mefloquine (MQ) was assessed in adults hospitalized for 28 days with uncomplicated drug-resistant falciparum malaria...
- Atorvastatin treatment is effective when used in combination with mefloquine in an experimental cerebral malaria murine modelJean Baptiste Souraud
Unite de Parasitologie, Unité de recherche sur les maladies infectieuses et transmissibles émergentes UMR 6236, Institut de Recherche Biomédicale des Armées Antenne de Marseille, Allée du Médecin Colonel Jamot, Parc le Pharo, BP 60109, 13262 Marseille Cedex 7, France
Malar J 11:13. 2012..Statins are recognized to have an immunomodulatory action, attenuate sepsis and have a neuroprotective effect. Atorvastatin (AVA) has shown in vitro anti-malarial activity and has improved the activity of mefloquine (MQ) and quinine.
- Screening of gap junction antagonists on dye coupling in the rabbit retinaFeng Pan
Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Science, University of Texas Medical School at Houston, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Vis Neurosci 24:609-18. 2007..We evaluated the following compounds: meclofenamic acid (MFA), mefloquine, 2-aminoethyldiphenyl borate (2-APB), 18-alpha-glycyrrhetinic acid, 18-beta-glycyrrhetinic acid (18-beta-GA), ..
- Residual antimalarial concentrations before treatment in patients with malaria from Cambodia: indication of drug pressureEva Maria Hodel
Swiss Tropical Institute, Basel, Switzerland
J Infect Dis 202:1088-94. 2010..There is a highly diverse market for antimalarials in this area, and improved knowledge of drug pressure would be useful to target interventions aimed at reducing inappropriate drug use...
- Genomewide scan reveals amplification of mdr1 as a common denominator of resistance to mefloquine, lumefantrine, and artemisinin in Plasmodium chabaudi malaria parasitesSofia Borges
UEI Malária, Centro de Malaria e Outras Doencas Tropicais, Instituto de Higiene e Medicina Tropical, Universidade Nova de Lisboa, Rua da Junqueira no 100, 1349 008 Lisbon, Portugal
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 55:4858-65. 2011..chabaudi, we analyzed the uncloned progeny of a genetic backcross between the mefloquine-, lumefantrine-, and artemisinin-resistant mutant AS-15MF and a genetically distinct sensitive clone, AJ, ..
- Efficacy and safety of mefloquine, artesunate, mefloquine-artesunate, and praziquantel against Schistosoma haematobium: randomized, exploratory open-label trialJennifer Keiser
Department of Medical Parasitology and Infection Biology, Swiss Tropical Institute, Basel, Switzerland
Clin Infect Dis 50:1205-13. 2010Morbidity control of schistosomiasis relies on a single drug, praziquantel. The antimalarial drug mefloquine possesses interesting antischistosomal properties, yet no clinical studies have been performed.
- Changes in the treatment responses to artesunate-mefloquine on the northwestern border of Thailand during 13 years of continuous deploymentVerena Ilona Carrara
Shoklo Malaria Research Unit, Tak, Thailand
PLoS ONE 4:e4551. 2009..We reviewed the efficacy of a 3-day regimen of mefloquine and artesunate regimen (MAS(3)), over a 13 year period of continuous deployment as first-line treatment in camps ..
- A randomized open study to assess the efficacy and tolerability of dihydroartemisinin-piperaquine for the treatment of uncomplicated falciparum malaria in CambodiaB Janssens
Medecins Sans Frontieres, Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Trop Med Int Health 12:251-9. 2007To compare the efficacy and tolerability of dihydroartemisinin-piperaquine (DHA-PQP) with that of a 3-day regimen of mefloquine and artesunate (MAS3) for the treatment of uncomplicated falciparum malaria in Cambodia.
- Intermittent treatment for the prevention of malaria during pregnancy in Benin: a randomized, open-label equivalence trial comparing sulfadoxine-pyrimethamine with mefloquineValérie Briand
Institut de Recherche pour le Developpement, santé de la mère et de l enfant en milieu tropical, Faculte de Pharmacie, 4 avenue de l Observatoire, Paris Cedex 06, France
J Infect Dis 200:991-1001. 2009In the context of the increasing resistance to sulfadoxine-pyrimethamine (SP), we evaluated the efficacy of mefloquine (MQ) for intermittent preventive treatment during pregnancy (IPTp).
- Mefloquine blockade of Pannexin1 currents: resolution of a conflictRodolfo Iglesias
Dominick P Purpura Department of Neuroscience, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, New York 10461, USA
Cell Commun Adhes 16:131-7. 2009..laboratory has reported potent block of Pannexin1 (Panx1) currents by the antimalarial quinine derivative mefloquine. However, other laboratories have found little or no mefloquine sensitivity of Panx1 currents or processes ..
- Dramatically decreased therapeutic efficacy of chloroquine and sulfadoxine-pyrimethamine, but not mefloquine, in southern BeninAgnes Aubouy
Research Unit 010 UR010, Mother and Child Health in the Tropics, Development Research Institute IRD, Cotonou, Benin
Trop Med Int Health 12:886-94. 2007To evaluate the in vivo therapeutic efficacy of chloroquine (CQ), sulfadoxine-pyrimethamine (SP) and mefloquine (MQ) in children presenting with uncomplicated malaria in Benin.
- Favourable outcome of progressive multifocal leukoencephalopathy with mefloquine treatment in combination with antiretroviral therapy in an HIV-infected patientE Adachi
Department of Infectious Diseases and Applied Immunology, Research Hospital of the Institute of Medical Science, The University of Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan
Int J STD AIDS 23:603-5. 2012..Following the administration of mefloquine in combination with ART, the patient's neurological status improved substantially...
- Effect of artesunate-mefloquine fixed-dose combination in malaria transmission in Amazon basin communitiesAna C Santelli
Programa Nacional de Controle da Malária, Secretaria de Vigilância emSaúde, Ministerio da Saude, Brazil
Malar J 11:286. 2012Studies in South-East Asia have suggested that early diagnosis and treatment with artesunate (AS) and mefloquine (MQ) combination therapy may reduce the transmission of Plasmodium falciparum malaria and the progression of MQ resistance.
- The efficacy of chemoprophylaxis against malaria with chloroquine plus proguanil, mefloquine, and atovaquone plus proguanil in travelers from DenmarkKristian Kofoed
Department of Gastrointestinal and Parasitic Infections Statens Serum Institut, Copenhagen, Denmark
J Travel Med 10:150-4. 2003..Surveillance of malaria diagnosed after return can provide data on risk and efficacy...
- Molecular markers of resistance to sulphadoxine-pyrimethamine during intermittent preventive treatment of pregnant women in BeninGwladys Bertin
Institut de recherche pour le developpement IRD, Mère et enfant face aux infections tropicales UMR216, Paris Cedex, France
Malar J 10:196. 2011..In this context, the first randomized clinical trial comparing the efficacy of SP and mefloquine for IPTp has been conducted recently in Benin...
- Interactions of mefloquine with praziquantel in the Schistosoma mansoni mouse model and in vitroJennifer Keiser
Department of Medical Parasitology and Infection Biology, Swiss Tropical and Public Health Institute, CH 4002 Basel, Switzerland
J Antimicrob Chemother 66:1791-7. 2011b>Mefloquine has interesting antischistosomal properties, hence it might be an attractive partner drug for combination treatment with praziquantel...
- The in vitro effect of mefloquine and praziquantel against juvenile and adult Schistosoma japonicumShu Hua Xiao
National Institute of Parasitic Diseases, Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention, Key Laboratory of Parasite and Vector Biology, MOH, WHO Collaborating Centre for Malaria, Schistosomiasis and Filariasis, Shanghai, 200025, People s Republic of China
Parasitol Res 106:237-46. 2009b>Mefloquine, an antimalarial drug, has been found to be effective against various stages of schistosomes in vivo...
- Mefloquine effects on ventral tegmental area dopamine and GABA neuron inhibition: a physiologic role for connexin-36 GAP junctionsDavid W Allison
Brigham Young University, Provo, UT 84602, USA
Synapse 65:804-13. 2011..The aim of this study was to determine the effect mefloquine (MFQ) has on midbrain DA and GABA neuron inhibition, and the role Cx36 GJs play in regulating midbrain VTA DA ..
- Artesunate/mefloquine paediatric formulation vs. artemether/lumefantrine for the treatment of uncomplicated Plasmodium falciparum in Anonkoua kouté, Côte d'IvoireOffianan A Toure
Malaria Department, Institut Pasteur, Abidjan, Cote d Ivoire
Trop Med Int Health 16:290-7. 2011To test the hypothesis that Artesunate-mefloquine paediatric (AS+MEF) is as effective as Artemether-lumefantrine (AL) in treating acute uncomplicated malaria in children.
- Antischistosomal activities of mefloquine-related arylmethanolsKatrin Ingram
Department of Medical Parasitology and Infection Biology, Swiss Tropical and Public Health Institute, Basel, Switzerland
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 56:3207-15. 2012Interesting antischistosomal properties have been documented for the antimalarial mefloquine, a 4-quinolinemethanol...
- [Therapeutic efficacy of a regimen of artesunate-mefloquine-primaquine treatment for Plasmodium falciparum malaria and treatment effects on gametocytic development]Ana María Vásquez
Grupo de Malaria, Universidad de Antioquia, Medellin, Colombia
Biomedica 29:307-19. 2009..In 2006, an artesunate (AS)-mefloquine (MQ) treatment program was implemented in Antioquia...
- Efficacy of Artequick versus artesunate-mefloquine in the treatment of acute uncomplicated falciparum malaria in ThailandNoppadon Tangpukdee
Faculty of Tropical Medicine, Mahidol University, Bangkok, Thailand
Southeast Asian J Trop Med Public Health 39:1-8. 2008..80 mg), piperaquine (400 mg), and primaquine (4 mg), per tablet--with a standard regimen of artesunate-mefloquine. A total of 130 patients were randomly assigned to treatment with an orally administered, once-daily, 3-day ..
- Low body mass index is associated with an increased risk of neuropsychiatric adverse events and concentration impairment in women on mefloquineM M van Riemsdijk
Pharmaco epidemiology Unit, Departments of Epidemiology and Biostatistics and Internal Medicine, Erasmus Medical Centre, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Br J Clin Pharmacol 57:506-12. 2004We performed a prospective cohort study to gain more insight into risk factors for neuropsychiatric effects of mefloquine among tourists travelling to tropical areas.
- Addition of exogenous NAD+ prevents mefloquine-induced neuroaxonal and hair cell degeneration through reduction of caspase-3-mediated apoptosis in cochlear organotypic culturesDalian Ding
Center for Hearing and Deafness, State University of New York at Buffalo, Buffalo, New York, United States of America Sixth People s Hospital, Shanghai Oriental Otolaryngology Institute, Shanghai Jiao Tong University, Shanghai, China Xiangya Hospital, Central South University, Changsha, Hunan, China Department of Applied Biological Chemistry, University of Tokyo, Yayoi, Tokyo, Japan
PLoS ONE 8:e79817. 2013b>Mefloquine is widely used for the treatment of malaria. However, this drug is known to induce neurological side effects including depression, anxiety, balance disorder, and sensorineural hearing loss...
- Population pharmacokinetics of mefloquine in military personnel for prophylaxis against malaria infection during field deploymentB G Charles
School of Pharmacy, The University of Queensland, Brisbane, 4072, QLD, Australia
Eur J Clin Pharmacol 63:271-8. 2007The purpose of this study was to determine the population pharmacokinetics of mefloquine in healthy military personnel during prophylaxis for malaria infections.
- In vitro activity of chloroquine, quinine, mefloquine and halofantrine against Gabonese isolates of Plasmodium falciparumJérôme Mezui Me Ndong
Centre International de Recherches Medicales de Franceville, Gabon, Central Africa
Trop Med Int Health 8:25-9. 2003..To determine the in vitro activity of antimalarial drugs against isolates of Plasmodium falciparum in Gabon...
- Mefloquine concentration profiles during prophylactic dose regimensH Kollaritsch
Institute of Specific Prophylaxis and Tropical Medicine, University of Vienna, Austria
Wien Klin Wochenschr 112:441-7. 2000A pharmacokinetic study with (malaria) prophylactic doses of mefloquine hydrochloride was conducted in 12 healthy adult subjects (Caucasians), 6 females and 6 males, mean age 29.2 +/- 6.4 years, mean weight 70.6 +/- 13.4 kg...
- Recurrence of blackwater fever: triggering of relapses by different antimalarialsJ van den Ende
Institute of Tropical Medicine, Antwerp, Belgium
Trop Med Int Health 3:632-9. 1998..falciparum infection, parasite resistance to chloroquine and the use of quinine and other related antimalarials become more frequent...
- In vitro and in vivo efficacies of mefloquine-based treatment against alveolar echinococcosisTatiana Küster
Institute of Parasitology, Vetsuisse Faculty, University of Berne, Berne, Switzerland
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 55:713-21. 2011..In this study we investigated the in vitro and in vivo efficacy of mefloquine against E. multilocularis metacestodes...
- Pharmacodynamics of mefloquine and praziquantel combination therapy in mice harbouring juvenile and adult Schistosoma mansoniNaglaa Mohamed El-Lakkany
Department of Pharmacology, Theodor Bilharz Research Institute, Warak El Hadar, Imbaba PO Box 30, Giza 12411, Egypt
Mem Inst Oswaldo Cruz 106:814-22. 2011..PZQ) is currently the only drug widely used for the treatment of schistosomiasis, but the antimalarial drug mefloquine (Mef) possesses interesting antischistosomal properties...
- Reversible hearing loss in temporal association with chemoprophylactic mefloquine useMark Wise
Burggartenstrassse 32, CH 4103 Bottmingen, Switzerland
Travel Med Infect Dis 5:385-8. 2007..Caucasian lady received pre-travel immunizations against tetanus, diphtheria, typhoid fever, hepatitis A, and mefloquine chemoprophylaxis...
- Cotrimoxazole prophylaxis versus mefloquine intermittent preventive treatment to prevent malaria in HIV-infected pregnant women: two randomized controlled trialsLise Denoeud-Ndam
UMR 216, Institut de Recherche pour le Developpement, Paris, France Faculté de Pharmacie, Universite Paris Descartes, Paris, France Centre de Traitement Ambulatoire, centre national hospitalier universitaire Hubert Koutoukou Maga, Cotonou, Benin Faculté des sciences de la santé, Université d Abomey Calavi, Abomey Calavi, Benin Inserm U717, Hopital Saint Louis, Paris, France Service de Médecine Interne, Hôpital d Instructions des Armées, Cotonou, Benin Service de gynécologie, Hôpital de la Mère et de l Enfant Lagune, Cotonou, Benin Clinique Louis Pasteur, Porto Novo, Benin Centre de Traitement Ambulatoire, Hôpital de zone de Suru Léré, Cotonou, Benin Service des Maladies Infectieuses et Tropicales, Hopital Saint Antoine, APHP, Paris, France INSERM U707, Universite Pierre et Marie Curie, Paris, France
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 65:198-206. 2014..Here, we present the first study evaluating CTX efficacy versus mefloquine (MQ)-IPTp, alone and in combination, in HIV-infected pregnant women.
- An open-label, randomised study of dihydroartemisinin-piperaquine versus artesunate-mefloquine for falciparum malaria in AsiaNeena Valecha
National Institute of Malaria Research, Delhi, India
PLoS ONE 5:e11880. 2010..The aim of this study was to show non-inferiority of DHA/PQP vs. artesunate-mefloquine (AS+MQ) in Asia.
- Sensitivity to artemisinin, mefloquine and quinine of Plasmodium falciparum in northwestern ThailandFelix Hüttinger
Centre for Pathophysiology, Infectiology and Immunology, Institute of Specific Prophylaxis and Tropical Medicine, Medical University of Vienna, Vienna, Austria
Wien Klin Wochenschr 122:52-6. 2010..The objective of the study was the assessment of the in vitro activity of artemisinin, mefloquine and quinine, in an area where P. falciparum is multi-drug resistant...
- Pharmacokinetic interaction between mefloquine and ritonavir in healthy volunteersY Khaliq
Clinical Investigation Unit, Department of Pharmacy, The Ottawa Hospital--General Campus, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Br J Clin Pharmacol 51:591-600. 2001AIMS: To evaluate the pharmacokinetic interaction between ritonavir and mefloquine. METHODS: Healthy volunteers participated in two separate, nonfasted, three-treatment, three-period, longitudinal pharmacokinetic studies...
- Polymorphisms of molecular markers of antimalarial drug resistance and relationship with artesunate-mefloquine combination therapy in patients with uncomplicated Plasmodium falciparum malaria in ThailandPoonuch Muhamad
Thailand Center of Excellence on Drug Discovery and Development, Thammasat University, Rangsit Campus, Klong Luang District, Pathumtani, Thailand Mae Sot General Hospital, Mae Sot, Tak Province, Thailand
Am J Trop Med Hyg 85:568-72. 2011..falciparum ATPase (pfatp6) and clinical outcome after a three-day mefloquine-artesunate combination therapy in 134 patients with uncomplicated Plasmodium falciparum malaria in an area with ..
- Use of mefloquine in children - a review of dosage, pharmacokinetics and tolerability dataPatricia Schlagenhauf
University of Zurich Centre for Travel Medicine, Hirschengraben 84, 8001 Zurich, Switzerland
Malar J 10:292. 2011..Use of anti-malarial medication in children is hampered by a paucity of dosage, pharmacokinetic and tolerability data...
- Mefloquine prescriptions in the presence of contraindications: prevalence among US military personnel deployed to Afghanistan, 2007Remington L Nevin
United States Africa Command, Combined Joint Task Force Horn of Africa, Camp Lemonier, Djibouti
Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf 19:206-10. 2010Contraindications to mefloquine use include a history of certain prevalent neuropsychiatric disorders, which are thought to increase the risk of severe adverse events including anxiety, paranoia, depression, hallucinations, psychosis, and ..
- Characterisation of synthetic beta-haematin and effects of the antimalarial drugs quinidine, halofantrine, desbutylhalofantrine and mefloquine on its formationT J Egan
Department of Chemistry, University of Cape Town, Rondebosch, South Africa
J Inorg Biochem 73:101-7. 1999..4 M acetate solution. The antimalarial drugs quinidine, halofantrine, desbutylhalofantrine and mefloquine were found to inhibit formation of beta-haematin, while 5-, 6- and 8-aminoquinoline and quinoline were found to ..
- Effect of artesunate and mefloquine in combination on the Fridericia corrected QT intervals in Plasmodium falciparum infected adults from ThailandS Krudsood
Faculty of Tropical Medicine, Mahidol University, Bangkok, Thailand
Trop Med Int Health 16:458-65. 2011To ascertain whether mefloquine (MQ) produces electrocardiogram (ECG) changes that could be a risk for Torsades de Pointe (TdP), a potentially malignant, ventricular tachyarrhythmia.
- Atovaquone-proguanil versus mefloquine for malaria prophylaxis in nonimmune travelers: results from a randomized, double-blind studyD Overbosch
Harbor Hospital and Institute of Tropical Medicine, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Clin Infect Dis 33:1015-21. 2001Concerns about the tolerability of mefloquine highlight the need for new drugs to prevent malaria...
- Plasmodium falciparum pfmdr1 amplification, mefloquine resistance, and parasite fitnessPiyanuch Preechapornkul
Faculty of Tropical Medicine, Mahidol University, Bangkok, Thailand
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 53:1509-15. 2009b>Mefloquine is widely used in combination with artemisinin derivatives for the treatment of falciparum malaria...
- Schistosoma mansoni: antischistosomal activity of the four optical isomers and the two racemates of mefloquine on schistosomula and adult worms in vitro and in vivoTheresia Manneck
Department of Medical Parasitology and Infection Biology, Swiss Tropical and Public Health Institute, PO Box, CH 4002 Basel, Switzerland
Exp Parasitol 127:260-9. 2011Recent studies have shown that mefloquine (MQ) reveals interesting antischistosomal properties...
- Amplification of Plasmodium falciparum multidrug resistance gene 1 in isolates from GabonAnne Catrin Uhlemann
Department of Cellular and Molecular Medicine, Infectious Diseases Group, St George s Hospital Medical School, London, UK
J Infect Dis 192:1830-5. 2005..of molecular markers of drug resistance is particularly important in surveillance studies of drugs, such as mefloquine, that still retain efficacy in sub-Saharan Africa yet have encountered resistance elsewhere...
- Mefloquine increases the risk of serious psychiatric events during travel abroad: a nationwide case-control study in the NetherlandsMelanie M van Riemsdijk
Pharmacoepidemiology Unit, Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Erasmus Medical Centre, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
J Clin Psychiatry 66:199-204. 2005..Several risk factors have been proposed for such events, one of these being use of mefloquine. We investigated the risk of psychiatric events during use of mefloquine.
- Susceptibility of Plasmodium falciparum strains to mefloquine in an urban area in SenegalI Hatin
, Paris, France
Bull World Health Organ 70:363-7. 1992..5 mg per kg body weight of mefloquine in a single oral dose and were followed up daily until day 7 and also on day 14 of the study...
- Therapeutic efficacy and effects of artesunate-mefloquine and mefloquine alone on malaria-associated anemia in children with uncomplicated Plasmodium falciparum malaria in southwest NigeriaAkintunde Sowunmi
Department of Pharmacology and Therapeutics, University of Ibadan, Ibadan, Nigeria
Am J Trop Med Hyg 81:979-86. 2009The treatment efficacy and effects of artesunate-mefloquine (AMQ) and mefloquine (MQ) on malaria-associated anemia (MAA) were evaluated in 342 children <or= 10 years of age with uncomplicated Plasmodium falciparum malaria randomized to ..
- Mefloquine treatment of acute falciparum malaria: a prospective study of non-serious adverse effects in 3673 patientsF O ter Kuile
Faculty of Tropical Medicine, Mahidol University, Bangkok, Thailand
Bull World Health Organ 73:631-42. 1995..The tolerance of various treatment regimens containing either mefloquine 15 mg/kg (M15) or 25 mg/kg (M25) was evaluated in 3673 patients aged between 6 months and 88 years...
- A phase III, randomized, non-inferiority trial to assess the efficacy and safety of dihydroartemisinin-piperaquine in comparison with artesunate-mefloquine in patients with uncomplicated Plasmodium falciparum malaria in southern LaosMayfong Mayxay
Wellcome Trust, Mahosot Hospital, Oxford University Tropical Medicine Research Collaboration, Mahosot Hospital, Vientiane, Laos
Am J Trop Med Hyg 83:1221-9. 2010We conducted an open, randomized clinical trial of oral dihydroartemisinin-piperaquine (DP) versus artesunate-mefloquine (AM) in 300 patients in Laos with uncomplicated Plasmodium falciparum malaria as part of a multicentre study in Asia...
- Failure of artesunate-mefloquine combination therapy for uncomplicated Plasmodium falciparum malaria in southern CambodiaWilliam O Rogers
Naval Medical Research Unit 2, Komp, P2P PLP LITBANGKES, Jl, Percetakan Negara No, 29, Jakarta 10560, Indonesia
Malar J 8:10. 2009..The efficacy of standard therapies for uncomplicated Plasmodium falciparum and Plasmodium vivax malaria was assessed in Chumkiri, Kampot Province, Cambodia...
- Prevention of malaria during pregnancy: assessing the effect of the distribution of IPTp through the national policy in BeninAgnès Le Port
Institut de recherche pour le developpement IRD, UMR216, Mère et Enfant Face aux Infections Tropicales, Paris, France
Am J Trop Med Hyg 84:270-5. 2011..preventive treatment in pregnancy (IPTp) clinical trial comparing sulfadoxine pyrimetamine (SP) versus mefloquine, and the third was an observational study after SP-IPTp national implementation...
- Delayed onset of malaria--implications for chemoprophylaxis in travelersEli Schwartz
Center for Geographical Medicine and the Department of Medicine, C Chaim Sheba Medical Center, Tel Hashomer, Israel
N Engl J Med 349:1510-6. 2003..We examined the magnitude of this problem among Israeli and American travelers...
- In vitro antimalarial drug susceptibility in Thai border areas from 1998-2003Wanna Chaijaroenkul
Faculty of Allied Health Sciences, Thammasat University, Rangsit, Patumthani 12121, Thailand
Malar J 4:37. 2005..This study describes the in vitro antimalarial susceptibility patterns of 95 laboratory-adapted P. falciparum isolates, collected between 1998 and 2003...
- Efficacy and tolerability of four antimalarial combinations in the treatment of uncomplicated Plasmodium falciparum malaria in SenegalBabacar Faye
Laboratoire de Parasitologie Mycologie, Faculte de Medecine, Pharmacie et Odontologie, Universite Cheikh Anta Diop, Dakar, Senegal
Malar J 6:80. 2007..Four antimalarial drug combinations, artesunate plus amodiaquine (Arsucam), artesunate plus mefloquine (Artequin), artemether plus lumefantrine (Coartem; four doses and six doses), and amodiaquine plus sulphadoxine-..
- Antimalarial drugs: recent advances in molecular determinants of resistance and their clinical significanceC J Woodrow
Department of Cellular and Molecular Medicine, Centre for Infection, St George s, University of London, Cranmer Terrace, London, SW17 0RE, UK
Cell Mol Life Sci 63:1586-96. 2006..Established resistance to arylaminoalcohols such as mefloquine and lumefantrine in SE Asia is mediated primarily by gene amplification of the P...
- Acute respiratory distress syndrome in Plasmodium vivax malaria in traveler returning from VenezuelaNuccia Saleri
Institute for Infectious and Tropical Diseases, University of Brescia, Brescia, Italy
J Travel Med 13:112-3. 2006
- Synergy of mefloquine activity with atorvastatin, but not chloroquine and monodesethylamodiaquine, and association with the pfmdr1 geneNathalie Wurtz
Unité de Recherche en Physiologie et Pharmacocinétique Parasitaires UMR MD3 Relations Hôte Parasites Pharmacologie et Thérapeutique, Institut de Recherche Biomédicale des Armées, antenne de Marseille, Marseille, France
J Antimicrob Chemother 65:1387-94. 2010..of atorvastatin, a 3-hydroxy-3-methylglutaryl coenzyme A (HMG-CoA) reductase inhibitor, in combination with mefloquine, chloroquine or monodesethylamodiaquine against Plasmodium falciparum and to evaluate whether the effects of ..
- Pharmacokinetics of two paediatric artesunate mefloquine drug formulations in the treatment of uncomplicated falciparum malaria in GabonMichael Ramharter
Medical Research Unit, Albert Schweitzer Hospital, Lambarene, Gabon
J Antimicrob Chemother 60:1091-6. 2007....
- Efficacy and safety of a new pediatric artesunate-mefloquine drug formulation for the treatment of uncomplicated falciparum malaria in GabonMarielle K Bouyou-Akotet
Faculty of Medicine, Department of Parasitology, Mycology, and Tropical Medicine, Universite des Sciences de la Sante, Libreville, Gabon
Wien Klin Wochenschr 122:173-8. 2010..evaluate the efficacy, safety and tolerability of a novel pediatric fixed-dose granule formulation of artesunate-mefloquine and a new co-blister tablet formulation...
- Efficacy, safety and tolerability of artesunate-mefloquine in the treatment of uncomplicated Plasmodium falciparum malaria in four geographic zones of NigeriaPhilip U Agomo
Malaria Unit, Department of Biochemistry and Nutrition, Nigerian Institute of Medical Research, PMB 2013, Yaba Lagos, Nigeria
Malar J 7:172. 2008The combination of artesunate and mefloquine has been reported to be effective against multi-drug resistant Plasmodium falciparum malaria, which has been reported in Nigeria...
- Comparison of oral artemether and mefloquine in acute uncomplicated falciparum malariaJ Karbwang
Department of Clinical Tropical Medicine, Faculty of Tropical Medicine, Mahidol University, Bangkok, Thailand
Lancet 340:1245-8. 1992..The proper dosage regimen remains to be defined. We have done a clinical trial comparing mefloquine 1250 mg in divided doses with oral artemether at 700 mg total dose given over 5 days in acute uncomplicated ..
- In vitro susceptibility of Plasmodium falciparum isolates from Myanmar to antimalarial drugsC Wongsrichanalai
Armed Forces Research Institute of Medical Sciences, Bangkok, Thailand
Am J Trop Med Hyg 65:450-5. 2001..Except at Mawlamyine, the site closest to the Thai border, prevalence and degree of resistance to mefloquine were lower among the Myanmar isolates as compared with those from Thailand...
- A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study to investigate the safety, tolerability, and pharmacokinetics of single enantiomer (+)-mefloquine compared with racemic mefloquine in healthy personsRobert Tansley
Treague Limited, Cambridge, United Kingdom
Am J Trop Med Hyg 83:1195-201. 2010Racemic mefloquine is a highly effective antimalarial whose clinical utility has been compromised by its association with neuropsychiatric and gastrointestinal side effects...
- Primaquine as prophylaxis for malaria for nonimmune travelers: A comparison with mefloquine and doxycyclineE Schwartz
Center for Geographical Medicine and Department of Medicine C, Chaim Sheba Medical Center, Tel Hashomer 52621, Israel ac il
Clin Infect Dis 29:1502-6. 1999..7% developed malaria; of the 19 doxycycline recipients, 53% developed malaria; and of the 25 mefloquine recipients, 52% developed P. vivax malaria (>/=3 months after return from the area of endemicity)...
- An open randomized clinical trial of Artekin vs artesunate-mefloquine in the treatment of acute uncomplicated falciparum malariaN Tangpukdee
Department of Clinical Tropical Medicine, Faculty of Tropical Medicine, Mahidol University, Bangkok, Thailand
Southeast Asian J Trop Med Public Health 36:1085-91. 2005..in the form of Artekin has been developed as an alternative to established combinations, such as artesunate-mefloquine, primarily to reduce treatment costs and toxicity...
- Molecular characterisation of drug-resistant Plasmodium falciparum from ThailandDinora Lopes
Centro de Malária e Outras Doenças Tropicais IHMT UNL, Rua da Junqueira, 96, 1349 008, Lisbon, Portugal
Malar J 1:12. 2002..In this context, any strategies that help improve the surveillance of drug resistance, become crucial in overcoming the problem...
- Resistance of Plasmodium falciparum to antimalarial drugs in a highly endemic area of southern Viet Nam: a study in vivo and in vitroN M Huong
National Institute of Malariology, Parasitology and Entomology, Luong, Vinh Road, Hanoi, Viet Nam
Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 95:325-9. 2001..Fifty patients were treated with either artesunate (4 mg/kg on day 0, then 2 mg/kg on day 1 to 4) or mefloquine (10 mg/kg at 0 h, then 5 mg/kg at 6 h), and their progress was followed for 28 days under standard WHO protocols...
- Protective efficacy and safety of three antimalarial regimens for intermittent preventive treatment for malaria in infants: a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled trialRoly D Gosling
Department of Infectious and Tropical Diseases, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, London, UK
Lancet 374:1521-32. 2009..However, rising resistance to this combination is a concern. We investigated a shortacting and longacting antimalarial drug as alternative regimens for IPTi...
- Pulmonary toxicity with mefloquineE Udry
Division de Pneumologie, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire Vaudois, Institut Pathologic, Lausanne, Switzerland
Eur Respir J 18:890-2. 2001This report presents a case of acute lung injury developing within hours after administration of mefloquine for a low-level Plasmodium falciparum malaria, which was persistent despite halofantrine therapy...
- Safety of mefloquine and other antimalarial agents in the first trimester of pregnancyP A Phillips Howard
Malaria Unit, Division of Control of Tropical Diseases, World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland
J Travel Med 5:121-6. 1998..prospective cohorts to ascertain the safety of chloroquine-proguanil, sulfadoxine-pyrimethamine (SP), and mefloquine taken in the first trimester of pregnancy...
- Potentiation of halofantrine-induced QTc prolongation by mefloquine: correlation with blood concentrations of halofantrineI D Lightbown
Department of Pharmacology and Therapeutics, The University of Liverpool, Ashton Street, Liverpool L69 3GE
Br J Pharmacol 132:197-204. 20011. The antimalarial drug halofantrine can prolong the QT interval and this may be enhanced by prior use of mefloquine. This possible interaction has been investigated by examining the effects of halofantrine and mefloquine alone and in ..
- Development of a Chloroquine Replacement DrugMICHAEL KEVIN RISCOE; Fiscal Year: 2010..parasites that harbor resistance to multiple drugs including: the quinolines - chloroquine, quinine, and mefloquine;the antifolates - pyrimethamine and sulfadoxine;and the anti-respiratory combination of atovaquone and proguanil...
- Institutional Collaboration between LSTM and CDC and Prevention on Malaria(U01)FEIKO OLAF TER KUILE; Fiscal Year: 2013..specific pharmacokinetic studies in HIV- infected adults, in children (age-based dosing) and in pregnant women (Mefloquine)...
- Ruthenium-based antimalarial agentsROBERTO A SANCHEZ-DELGADO; Fiscal Year: 2013..Organization currently recommends combination therapies composed of artemisinin and amodiaquine, lumefantrine or mefloquine. Nevertheless, such combinations suffer from problems related to differences in solubility and pharmacokinetics ..
- Within Host Selection of P. falciparum Variants by Artemisinin Combination TherapJONATHAN JAMES JULIANO; Fiscal Year: 2013..and iii) measure up-selection for individual parasite variants from Thai patients treated with Artesunate-Mefloquine to define selection coefficients and better define the phenotype used to study drug resistance to artemisinins...
- Azithromycin Combination Therapy in Resistant MalariaCharles Knirsch; Fiscal Year: 2000..the drugs commonly added to the above standard agents to augment efficacy-such as doxycycline/tetracycline or mefloquine-are contraindicated for these populations...
- Preventing Pregnancy Malaria: Maternal-Infant OutcomesMichal Fried; Fiscal Year: 2009..In the studies proposed here, three new IPTp regimens (chlorproguanil-dapsone (LapDap);mefloquine;sulfadoxine-pyrimethamine (SP) + azithromycin) will be compared to the currently recommended regimen (SP alone) ..
- Target for Mefloquine in MycobacteriaLuiz Bermudez; Fiscal Year: 2002..The goal of this proposal is to be focused and apply new strategies to identify and characterize the targets of mefloquine, a drug just recognized to have activity against mycobacteria...
- Pre-Clinical Evaluation of Antimalarial Natural Products from Carica papaya L.Shuren Zhu; Fiscal Year: 2009..of compound that affords 50% of inhibition) were superior to the positive controls, chloroquine and mefloquine. These compounds also demonstrated low toxicity in human adult liver epithelial cells and freshly isolated rat ..
- Synthesis and Evaluation of Novel Antimalarial AgentsShuren Zhu; Fiscal Year: 2005..falciparum malaria parasite clones: W2 (susceptible to mefloquine but resistant to chloroquine, sulfadoxine, pyrimethamine, and quinine) and D6 (resistant to mefloquine but ..
- ANTIMALARIAL RESISTANCE IN THAILANDSteven Meshnick; Fiscal Year: 2000..Recrudescence after artesunate-mefloquine treatment is associated with in vitro artemisinin insensitivity; and (3) in vitro chloroquine, mefloquine, ..
- New Antimalarials from Plant-Pathogenic FungiNP NANAYAKKARA; Fiscal Year: 2005..drug chloroquine and is developing resistance to other antimalarial drugs introduced more recently such as mefloquine and halofantrin. Therefore, there is an urgent need to develop alternative drugs to counter this trend...
- Isolation and Antimalarial Activity of Small Molecules from Ocimum sanctumShuren Zhu; Fiscal Year: 2009..of compound that affords 50% of inhibition) were superior to the positive controls, chloroquine and mefloquine. These compounds also demonstrated low toxicity in human adult liver epithelial cells and freshly isolated rat ..
- DEVELOPMENT OF AMINOQUINOLINE ANTIMALARIALSJeffrey Conroy; Fiscal Year: 2000..falciparum parasites, and some of which (20-23% of 75) are active against CQ-, mefloquine and multiply-resistant P. falciparum parasites...
- Development of Natural Product as Antimalarial AgentShuren Zhu; Fiscal Year: 2007..of compound that affords 50% of inhibition) were superior to the positive controls, chloroquine and mefloquine. These compounds also demonstrated low toxicity in human adult liver epithelial cells and freshly isolated rat ..
- Novel Target for the in silico Design of AntimalarialsSusan Keenan; Fiscal Year: 2005..worldwide resistance of Plasmodium falciparum to traditional chemotherapy strategies such as chloroquine and mefloquine demonstrates the urgent need for the discovery of novel chemotherapeutic agents in the fight against malaria...
- BLOCK OF MYOCARDIAL ION CHANNELS BY ANTIMALARIAL DRUGSMichael Sanguinetti; Fiscal Year: 2002..b>Mefloquine is another new antimalarial drug that has not been extensively studied, but may also have similar unwanted side ..
- Post Translation Regulation in MycobacteriaLuiz Bermudez; Fiscal Year: 2008..In case we confirm our hypothesis, future work will address the role of Ion in M. tuberculosis [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- MYCOBACTERIAL ENVIRONMENT WITHIN MACROPHAGESLuiz Bermudez; Fiscal Year: 2003..We believe that the proposed studies will generate important information about the phagosome environment and the mycobacterial response to it. ..
- Ion Channels and Chemicals Controlling Synapse StabilityJoseph McArdle; Fiscal Year: 2006..The knowledge gained from this research will enlighten future molecular approaches to treating pathologies which afflict children and adults. ..
- MATERNAL MALARIA--PARASITE ADHESION AND ANTIBODIESPatrick Duffy; Fiscal Year: 2001..Further, the delineation of binding domains and B cell epitopes will provide the basis to design an anti-adhesion vaccine to protect primigravid and other women susceptible to placental infection with the CSA-binding parasites. ..
- Regulation of Gap Junction Coupling During Development and Neuronal InjuryAndrei B Belousov; Fiscal Year: 2010..Abstract section was revised to reflect changes in Specific Aims (see above). As a result, the description of Specific Aims #2 and #3 is not included in the revised abstract. ..
- Human Reservoirs of Plasmodium vivax Transmission in the Peruvian AmazonJoseph M Vinetz; Fiscal Year: 2010..vivax, and provide a rational basis for determining strategies to implement and deploy new transmission- blocking vaccines as one approach towards the future elimination of P. vivax malaria from the Amazon basin. ..
- MOLECULAR TARGETS OF BLOCKING MALARIA TRANSMISSIONJoseph M Vinetz; Fiscal Year: 2010..falciparum chitinase, PfCHTI, and provide the scientific basis for developing novel potential approaches to interrupting malaria transmission at the vertebrate host-mosquito vector interface. ..
- FORMATION OF CELL-CELL CHANNELSGERHARD P DAHL; Fiscal Year: 2010..Gap junction channels are known to be associated with a series of human diseases. Understanding their molecular function is therefore relevant to the diagnosis and therapy of the diseases. ..
- Leptospirosis Transmission in the Peruvian AmazonJoseph Vinetz; Fiscal Year: 2006....
- Plasmodium Falciparum Metal MetabolismDavid Sullivan; Fiscal Year: 2009..Plasmodium parasitism provides a comparison of "simple" erythrocyte cell to more complex infected cell. ..
- Biochemical and Behavioral Correlates of IFN ResponseJennifer Loftis; Fiscal Year: 2007..Results will contribute to knowledge of IFN mechanisms that are important in HCV and in understanding depressive symptoms accompanying medical conditions where cytokines are elevated. ..
- Microarray Analysis of Leptospiral GenomesJoseph Vinetz; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Gap Junction Channels Formation and GatingFeliksas Bukauskas; Fiscal Year: 2007..Abnormalities in GJ channels play a key role in generating cardiac arrhythmias, uterine malfunction, epileptic seizures and malignant cell growth. ..
- International Leptospirosis Society Meeting 2007Joseph Vinetz; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] Outcome of the meeting will be assessed by peer-reviewed publication and trainee publication and[unreadable] career advancement. ..
- CHOLINERGIC REGULATION IN THE HYPOTHALAMUSAndrei Belousov; Fiscal Year: 2009..Data obtained here may have an important clinical relevance, given that glutamate receptor antagonists are used for chronic treatment of patients, and some glutamate receptor antagonists are drugs of abuse. ..
- Genetics of Innate Immunity in Human Leptospirosis in BrazilJoseph Vinetz; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Connexins and Heart FunctionFeliksas Bukauskas; Fiscal Year: 2010..2 hemichannels are functional in cardiomyocytes and whether they contribute to slow propagation of excitation in the AV node and protection of ventricles from over excitation during atrial tachyarrhythmia. ..
- Pathogenesis of falciparum malaria in infancyPatrick Duffy; Fiscal Year: 2004..Identifying new therapies for children is an urgent public health goal, but is not a funding priority for the United States Department of Defense. ..
- Anticholinesterase Neurotoxicity is Mediated by Oxidative InjuryDejan Milatovic; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- MOLECULAR TARGETS OF BLOCKING MALARIA TRANSMISSIONJoseph Vinetz; Fiscal Year: 2005....